PDA

View Full Version : Margaret and Charles Juravinski Centre for Integrated Healthcare

SteelTown
Jan 15, 2008, 12:15 PM
The annoucement is 11am today.

City hospitals face big changes

January 15, 2008
Denise Davy
The Hamilton Spectator

Hamilton Health Sciences will announce plans today for a "major restructuring" that includes transforming McMaster Children's Hospital into a hospital for women and children.

The changes are part of a larger plan that may affect all five HHS hospitals.

"I think it's a spectacular idea," Ancaster Councillor Lloyd Ferguson and HHS board member said last night.

"I really like the concept of specialization. I don't care whether you are a lawyer, an accountant or a doctor, you've got to have specialization.

"Patients go where they get the absolute best care."

He said the board approved the concept "quite awhile ago."

Murray Martin, president and CEO of HHS, would not provide any specifics before today.

But sources say plans include a new urgent care centre, possibly to be built in the southwest end of either the city or the Mountain.

The restructuring of McMaster Children's into a hospital for women and children would mean some programs and services would be moved to other hospitals.

Martin said it's an "interesting idea that's been speculated on for probably the last decade or two."

It's unknown which services and programs would be moved, but sources say the changes would take place over four or five years.

HHS consists of McMaster Children's Hospital, McMaster University Medical Centre, Chedoke Hospital, Hamilton General, Henderson General and the Juravinski Cancer Centre.

Martin said the goal is to expand and improve health care services.

"Whatever we end up with, it will be driven by a vision ... how to provide the best care," said Martin.

HHS is the city's largest employer with a staff of more than 10,000 that's growing by almost 3 per cent a year.

Sources have told The Spectator the changes will result in new jobs.

Martin will share details with staff this morning. That will be followed by a meeting with members of The Spectator's editorial board.

raisethehammer
Jan 15, 2008, 12:15 PM
hmmm, interesting news.

SteelTown
Jan 15, 2008, 12:17 PM
For the possible Mountain location is up pass the Linc near Upper James.

raisethehammer
Jan 15, 2008, 12:22 PM
what other locations are an option?

SteelTown
Jan 15, 2008, 12:25 PM
I think it's in Dundas? I'm not 100% sure. I just know HHS had plans for a possible new hospital in Hamilton for years and looked at a land near the Linc. Helps that Robert Jones, former HHS Board of Directors, is in my family haha, though we call him Bob Jones..

raisethehammer
Jan 15, 2008, 12:30 PM
makes sense to do one out there. the article says something about the city's Southwest too?? not sure what that means. southeast would make sense...there's nothing out there other than the little St Joes Centre on King East.

BCTed
Jan 15, 2008, 1:05 PM
not sure what that means. southeast would make sense...there's nothing out there other than the little St Joes Centre on King East.

That's northeast, no?

DC83
Jan 15, 2008, 1:22 PM
That's northeast, no?

ya, but that Emergency Care Ctr (King/Nash) services all of lower Stoney Creek, the East End, Winona, South-East area of the city... and the Centre is SO small!!! It can't handle the load of ALL the new residents going up in Heritage Green, Summit Park, Binbrook.

I agree that the South Mountain NEEDS a hospital or Urgent Care Ctr... but I think somewhere in the middle would be best. The South-West Mtn/Ancaster is serviced by Chedoke.

SteelTown
Jan 15, 2008, 1:40 PM
There's 3 main hospitals along the inner city well there's one hospital up on the Mountain. There used to be 2 ERs on the Mountain, Chedoke Hospital, closed down thanks to Mike Harris. I beleive Hamilton Mountain has more population than the lower end so really the Mountain is the best bet to get a hospital especially if it's near the Linc so it can bring patients from Ancaster and Dundas (growing population as well) along the Linc to the hospital.

It's pretty impressive for a city like Hamilton to have possibly 5 hospitals.

raisethehammer
Jan 15, 2008, 2:07 PM
no, it's southeast....down in the Greenhill/Rosedale area.

markbarbera
Jan 15, 2008, 5:38 PM
Just posted on thespec.com

TheSpec.com - BreakingNews - HHS announces Mountain urgent care, kids' ER

A dedicated emergency department for children will be created at McMaster Children's Hospital, Hamilton Health Sciences announced this morning.

As well, a new urgent care centre will be built on the South Mountain. The location has yet to be determined.

The Hamilton General's emergency department will grow from 11,000 sq. ft. to 18,000 sq. ft. -- a 64 percent increase in size.

These key changes, as well as other improvements to area healthcare, were announced at the Hamilton Spectator this morning by Murray Martin, president and CEO of HHS. Design will begin this year and the work will be complete in three to four years.

"The underlying theme for all these changes is the urgent need to meet the community's needs by concentrating our specialized services and telanted staff in fewer locations," Martin said.

"Some of the ambulatory services now situated at the General and the Henderson will come to MUMC, and obstetrics/gynecology, including high-risk obstetrics and other women's health services will continue to be a priority at the McMaster site."

LikeHamilton
Jan 15, 2008, 5:40 PM
CHCH News at Noon said it would be built on the south-west mountain?

DC83
Jan 15, 2008, 5:53 PM

probably b/c that's where their staff lives so they just made it up like they make everything up! I'm surprised they didn't blame it's location on the rotting downtown core and it's crack-head inhabitants!

SteelTown
Jan 15, 2008, 7:13 PM

Yep, just look up on google map and find a nice empty land near the Linc and you'll find the location for the hospital. It'll be near my place.

SteelTown
Jan 15, 2008, 7:22 PM
Really this plan has been in the works for YEARS, I can remember my dad telling me a hospital could be built in South Mount around the same time the Linc opened up which was like 1999?

It's good news as this hospital will be able to provide a large area with the Linc close by, Ancaster, Dundas, Central and South Mount and the booming East upper Stoney Creek.

DC83
Jan 15, 2008, 7:52 PM
Linc & what, Steeltown? Upper Wellington?James?W5th??

raisethehammer
Jan 15, 2008, 8:01 PM
ok, I looked on Google...if I had to guess I'd say it's on the southeast corner of the Linc and Upper James. Looks to be a big hunk of land in behind the Shoe Factory or whatever that place is called.

SteelTown
Jan 15, 2008, 8:06 PM
^ Yes, I remember my dad mentioning Upper James in the past, but not 100% certain as it's been awhile now so plans may have changed. Definitely on the south side of the Linc, the Linc is the critical part of this new Hospital plus the Red Hill helps.

DC83
Jan 15, 2008, 8:17 PM
There's a bigger hunk of land on the s/e corner of The Linc & Upp. Wellington. I think it would be a better option as upper james is so damn busy an ambulance would never be able to get to the Centre!

SteelTown
Jan 15, 2008, 8:20 PM
^ Isn't that the land that the School Board is looking at for a possible relocation? Think they own the land which will include a high school in the future, possible closure of Barton.

SteelTown
Jan 15, 2008, 8:25 PM
So what should the name be for the new Hospital? Lincoln Alexander Hospital? I wouldn't mind Arthur Weisz Hospital, Effort Trust guy, yea sure commie blocks but he really built majority of Hamilton's high rise and a Holocaust survivor.

raisethehammer
Jan 15, 2008, 8:49 PM
There's a bigger hunk of land on the s/e corner of The Linc & Upp. Wellington. I think it would be a better option as upper james is so damn busy an ambulance would never be able to get to the Centre!

this land is all being built on right now.
A friend of mine just bought a house up there (well, one that will be built soon).
My folks live that way and I drove by last night...it's all dug up. no room for a hospital there.
It would make sense to have it on a street with highway access.
This should really help to unclog the downtown emergency rooms and hospitals.
Everyone I know who lives in the mountain ALWAYS comes to St Joes or Mac for emerg.
Nobody ever uses Henderson.
Maybe with Henderson being rebuilt and a new hospital on Upper James folks will start staying up there and using those ones.

SteelTown
Jan 15, 2008, 8:57 PM
Have you been to the Henderson ER? God it's horrible. Probably 10 ER beds for well over 150,000 people on the Mountain. I went to the Henderson ER last year for a head concussion, baseball hit my head well playing at corporate baseball, no helmet. I was lucky enough to get a bed. I used the Chedoke ER twice in the past and it was great, yea old but it was speedy. Once that closed all hell broke loose at Henderson. I was born at Henderson haha.

So I called my dad and yep he said Upper James. The city had sat aside the land for them for a LONG time.

raisethehammer
Jan 15, 2008, 10:58 PM
lol...no I haven't been to Henderson.
It must suck. NOBODY that I know uses it.
That'll change once they finish the huge reconstruction job up there.
Good news all around.

SteelTown
Jan 15, 2008, 11:17 PM
http://www.thespec.com/images/assets/423935_3.JPG

http://www.thespec.com/images/assets/423936_3.JPG

http://www.thespec.com/images/assets/423937_3.JPG

http://www.thespec.com/images/assets/423938_3.JPG

View from Wellington
http://www.thespec.com/images/assets/423940_3.JPG

To be built at the very end of McMaster Hospital, along that new street and next to the Engineering building that's under construction
http://www.thespec.com/images/assets/423934_3.JPG

raisethehammer
Jan 15, 2008, 11:58 PM
kewl.

chris k
Jan 16, 2008, 2:08 AM
The henderson hospital i beleive is changing its name to Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Center when its finished. I heard that as a rumour since they are basically paying for the renovation. Should look great when there finished. I also think half of the old building is currently knocked down. Im guessing construction starting in spring 08?

Haha Btw i was also born at Henderson
:cheers:

raisethehammer
Jan 16, 2008, 3:16 AM
these guy are buildings some pretty good looking projects these days.

Steeltown - help me out...where on the Mac property is that last rendering?? Near Main Street next to the new engineering building that is currently going up (by the way, that thing is flying up)??

SteelTown
Jan 16, 2008, 3:30 AM
Remember when you asked what that thing was in the background of the Engineering building rendering? Well that's the building. But now I'm confused because it says "Chedoke Site" which is up on West Mount. It's gotta be at McMaster.

HHS gutted Chedoke, sold all the land to housing development (dirt cheap too!), closed down the ER, closed down all the long term care to St Pete's, closed down all the doctor's office, closed the addiction centre, soon all the rehab will be relocated to the General, the only thing that's keeping Chedoke alive is the kitchen, all hospital food is made there. Some of the buildings there are historical and protected by the city. I remember like 8 years ago HHS wasted millions on making one Chedoke building earthquake proof, I'm serious!

The Engineering building is really taking shape now. They are probably just starting the 4 floor now. I'll try and get some pictures.

SteelTown
Jan 16, 2008, 2:09 PM
Kids-only ER key part of Mac plan
HHS also proposes Urgent Care Centre on southwest Mountain

January 16, 2008
Denise Davy
The Hamilton Spectator

A dedicated children's emergency department and new Urgent Care Centre on the Mountain are among sweeping plans that would alter the face of health care in Hamilton.

The proposals would, among other things, see the end of a full service emergency department in the west end at the McMaster University Medical Centre.

"The direction we're talking about is multi-faceted and will have a profound impact on a number of different disciplines," said Murray Martin, president and CEO of Hamilton Health Sciences, who met with The Spectator's editorial board yesterday.

The changes, if approved by the Ministry of Health, would be implemented over the next three to four years.

Martin estimated the cost would be anywhere from $50 million to $100 million.

The proposed changes include:

* Increasing the size of Henderson's emergency department by 64 per cent, from 11,000 square feet to 18,000 square feet;

* New ambulatory care facilities to be built at the General and Henderson;

* New ambulatory care facility for McMaster Children's Hospital to be built at Chedoke;

* McMaster University Medical Centre to expand its role in women's health.

The Urgent Care Centre is being proposed for the southwest Mountain because it is the most rapidly growing part of the city.

The exact location is still to be decided.

Martin said the facility could handle up to 40,000 visits per year for such things as broken bones and sprains and would probably be open from 10 a.m. until 10 p.m. Studies have shown it's not practical to keep the centre open for 24 hours because so few people come in the early morning hours, said Martin.

A key reason behind most of the changes is the move toward concentration of specialized services in hospitals.

Martin said specialization improves services and shortens wait times.

"In order to achieve the best care for the community, that is best done by having each individual hospital take on a special role in the system," said Martin.

Dr. Michael Marcaccio, chief of surgery at HHS, said specialization also gives Hamilton a competitive advantage when it comes to attracting and retaining health care professionals.

Dr. Peter Steer, president of McMaster Children's Hospital, agreed, saying when he interviews potential staff the key question is whether they'll be allowed to practise their specialty.

The development of two ambulatory care facilities at the Hamilton General and Henderson hospitals, which would handle day surgeries, outpatient procedures and diagnostics, would be the largest change in the plan.

It would mean the space that is currently used for in-patient care at McMaster University Medical Centre would be renovated and converted into ambulatory space for the adult programs.

The proposal is part of a move to strengthen the surgical and medical programs at the Henderson.

Martin said he expects the Local Health Integration Network to approve the changes because one of its priorities is child and youth health.

Martin said the changes will mean new jobs. He could not specify how many but said they will cover the "full spectrum of health care professionals."

Timelines

This is Hamilton Health Sciences' timeline for completing the changes announced yesterday. Some of it is still awaiting approval.

* Ambulatory Centre for Child and Youth Mental Health -- proposed completion date of mid- to late 2009.

* Braley Cardiac, Vascular and Stroke Research Institute -- to open late 2009. * Henderson redevelopment -- spring of 2010.

* New Urgent Care Centre on southwest Mountain -- early 2010.

* Rebuilding of Hamilton General's Emergency Department -- mid-2010.

* New Ambulatory Care Facilities at the Hamilton General -- early 2010.

* New Ambulatory Care Facilities at the Henderson -- spring of 2010.

* Transfer of 110 beds from McMaster University Medical Centre to Henderson and HGH -- mid-2011.

SteelTown
Jan 16, 2008, 2:10 PM
To be built at the very end of McMaster Hospital, along that new street and next to the Engineering building that's under construction
http://www.thespec.com/images/assets/423934_3.JPG

Nope it's really gonna be built a Chedoke, I'm really surprised myself.

raisethehammer
Jan 16, 2008, 3:35 PM
people aren't happy about losing the emerg at Mac....long way for folks in WestHam, Dundas,Flamborough to go - downtown - for emergency.

raisethehammer
Jan 17, 2008, 7:01 PM
u can see more renderings online now:

http://www.hamiltonhealthsciences.ca//webpage.cfm?site_id=2&org_id=1&morg_id=0&gsec_id=17733&item_id=17733

scroll over each hospital. there are some interior shots of new Henderson etc....

fastcarsfreedom
Jan 17, 2008, 8:19 PM
I'm in disbelief that they are considering removing a full-time ER at MUMC, that is completely off-the-charts if you consider the sort of growth that's going on in the western burbs, as well as the burgeoning population in the Westdale/West Hamilton area. When I first heard this announcement I assumed Children's was getting a separate ER--something long overdue--but I had no idea they were ditching the regular ER in deference to St Joe's and General...ridiculous short-sighted idea...the last thing the city needs is FEWER ERs.

DC83
Jan 17, 2008, 8:46 PM
I'm in disbelief that they are considering removing a full-time ER at MUMC, that is completely off-the-charts if you consider the sort of growth that's going on in the western burbs, as well as the burgeoning population in the Westdale/West Hamilton area. When I first heard this announcement I assumed Children's was getting a separate ER--something long overdue--but I had no idea they were ditching the regular ER in deference to St Joe's and General...ridiculous short-sighted idea...the last thing the city needs is FEWER ERs.

I agree. But sometimes kids/babies need to be prioritized.
PLUS the other Centres usually send the majority of kids from their ERs to Mac anyway... I know from personal experience. So it kind of makes sense. Would have made MORE sense if they just built a new ward DEDICATED to Children's Emergency tho.

Burlington needs another hospital! Jo Brant is rediculous right now. I have friends that work in the labs there and say it's always crazy busy. Once Waterdown gets their 10,000+ residents from all the new development up there, it'll be even worse for the Hospital.

raisethehammer
Jan 17, 2008, 10:07 PM
this is a bad idea. I agree children should get great facilities and care...but don't close down the only emerg west of James St. You just mentioned Waterdown and the boom up there....folks from there come to Mac or Joe Brant...both are jammed as it is. this is very poor planning.

hamiltonguy
Jan 18, 2008, 5:27 AM
DARN. From what I understand from the Doctors in my family, there is no reason to be adding more Hosptials. It just makes things more complicated and inconvenient, for little to no gain compared to adding expansions to current Hospitals.

As they put it, either you're bad enough that you need the paramedic to save you on the spot, or you can wait 5 more minutes.

HAMRetrofit
Jan 18, 2008, 5:39 AM
Big hospitals are extremely inefficient. Adding additions to existing buildings is not the best approach. The building systems become ridiculous and there becomes problems with mixing old and new. If you have ever seen mechanical drawings for major hospitals they are extremely complex. Hospitals should be becoming more distributed and specialized.

raisethehammer
Jan 18, 2008, 2:43 PM
I'm betting that they'll come up with a new plan to keep the ER open at Mac. Way too much pushback happening from residents in Westdale/Dundas/Ancaster/Flamborough.
If it was central or north Hamilton they could get away with it, but these areas are the wealthiest in the city....when the rich folks yell, people listen.

SteelTown
Jan 18, 2008, 8:23 PM
The problem is there's really no room for extra space to build on at McMaster Hospital. So HHS can't build another wing for an ER for adults.

Though I do like Russ Powers idea of putting the urgent care at the Innovation Park. But that's taking up space for research related jobs. HHS did indicate a possible location at West Hamilton at the start so there's a chance.

hamiltonguy
Jan 18, 2008, 9:16 PM
The problem is they aren't talking about more specialization, they're talking about another General Hospital. If this were part of a larger restructuring where the made the hospitals focus on different areas but all having emergency wards it would be a lot more sensible.

Instead they want to compound the problem. Specialists are still going to have to spend loads of time running from hospital to hospital etc.

Another inefficiency too is that St. Joes isn't part of HHSC. It's stupid bureaucracy and politics, because everyone wants a full General Hospital where they can receive specialized treatment for everything RIGHT IN THEIR BACKYARD.

They should reorganize more efficiently and THEN see what space they need, instead of just building another neighbourhood hospital.

Sorry for ranting, but it really infuriates me to find out how inefficient our hospitals are organized.

SteelTown
Mar 15, 2008, 4:46 PM
Forgot to mention yesterday but had a meeting and it's been decided that Chedoke will hold the new ER.

It's in the West End and on the Mountain. The Wilcox building will be gutted and built for a new modern ER. That's where the old ER used to be.

Most Hamilton Health Sciences employees at McMaster have been informed, jobs will be relocated to Chedoke, so they are preparing them.

fastcarsfreedom
Mar 15, 2008, 5:59 PM
hamiltonguy--so long as HHS performs abortions you can be assured that St. Joe's will remain independent.

SteelTown
Mar 16, 2008, 6:30 PM
Construction will beign next year for the Chedoke ER department. The city will likely redo Rice Avenue/Sanatorium Road at the same time.

SteelTown
Apr 4, 2008, 11:16 AM
HHS alters plan for west end

Daniel Nolan
The Hamilton Spectator
(Apr 4, 2008)

The west end will still lose an emergency department, but it will gain an urgent care centre.

Officials from Hamilton Health Sciences announced last night at a public meeting in Westdale they have altered much-vaunted future plans for health care delivery in the city and have dropped plans to build an urgent care centre on Rymal Road on the southwest Mountain.

HHS president and CEO Murray Martin said that, after recently meeting city officials to talk about population growth over the next two decades, HHS has "repositioned" the urgent care centre to rise in the west end -- Westdale, Dundas or Ancaster.

He did not say it had anything to do with community concern over seeing the emergency department at McMaster University Medical Centre converted into a children's emergency department.

Dr. Bill Krizmanich, chief of HHS emergency medicine, acknowledged, however, to the more than 150 people at Temple Anshe Sholom "there is going to be some discomfort and inconvenience not having an ER in your community."

Martin said the city told HHS a new neighbourhood will rise on the Mountain, but the biggest growth is expected in the area between the downtown and the bay, plus along major arteries. An urgent care centre deals with illnesses or injuries that do not require an emergency room.

It appeared the majority were concerned about the loss of the ER and having to go to expanded ERs at the Henderson and General hospitals. HHS officials said the changes would enhance ER service.

"We're not taking anything away," Krizmanich said. "We're adding."

Dr. Ted Mitchell, who works in Hagersville, was unimpressed and elicited applause when he said he could come up with a better plan with some people in the room.

"I don't know if they're going to get the benefits they say they're going to get," he said. "Medicine is complicated."

raisethehammer
Apr 4, 2008, 1:35 PM
what the heck?? they call Rymal Road the "west end"??? get real.

highwater
Apr 4, 2008, 6:24 PM
I think you may have misread. They're dropping plans to build their urgent care centre on Rymal Rd., and building it in the west end instead (although they do appear to be lumping Ancaster in with Dundas and Westdale. Weird.)

I find it fascinating that the city is predicting the largest growth happening between downtown and the bay. Now could someone please alert the school board before they close all the lower city schools so they can build superschools in the middle of some corn field?

raisethehammer
Apr 5, 2008, 2:05 AM
ahh, I see. Yes I misread. that was the old plan. I wonder where the new plan will be?? Main West possibly?

SteelTown
Apr 5, 2008, 1:28 PM
Hospital reacts to city plan
Urgent care centre goes to lower city, where growth expected

April 05, 2008
John Burman
The Hamilton Spectator

Hamilton Health Sciences says its decision to locate a new urgent care centre below the Mountain reflects the reality of where the city's heaviest population growth will be in the next 25 years.

The centre will not go on the southwest Mountain, where hospital planners assumed the city's greatest growth would be, but below the escarpment where that growth will actually occur.

Murray Martin, HHS president and CEO, said yesterday the hospital tried to make it clear in January that a final decision on a location for the urgent care centre -- planned as HHS will limit McMaster University Medical Centre's emergency department to children -- had not been made.

HHS operates MUMC and two other acute-care hospitals: Hamilton General and Henderson.

Martin said hospital planners, like many others, assumed growth would be on the south Mountain.

When HHS met with city planners, they found out the city expects a new neighbourhood will rise on the southeast Mountain, and Martin says that growth can be handled by St. Joseph's urgent care centre in east Hamilton.

The city told the hospital the real growth in Hamilton in the next 25 years or so -- following the city's growth-related integrated development strategy (GRIDS) and the provincial limits on urban sprawl creating rules for intensification of already developed areas -- is expected between the core and the bay.

Martin said public concern about the lower west end of the city, Dundas and Ancaster losing urgent care was not a factor in deciding to put the new facility somewhere in the western end of the city.

It will most likely go somewhere along Main Street West, but no site has been chosen.

"What (the city) corrected, I guess, was our misunderstanding that there would be significant continued growth out in the south Hamilton and Ancaster area," said Martin.

What HHS learned, he said, is Hamilton's growth will be through intensification, and a major focus of that is in the bay area.

The need for good transportation links led HHS to the conclusion that "somewhere along Main Street" would be the best place to be.

Ward 12 Councillor Lloyd Ferguson, who is a member of HHS's board of directors, says the decision to put the centre below the escarpment will ease the concerns of Westdale, West Hamilton, Dundas and Ancaster residents and west Mountain dwellers and solve "a perception problem" for the hospital.

The decision also places the urgent care centre where the population growth will be and along good transportation links.

Ferguson said the city plans to repopulate the existing urban centre and there is a plan for redevelopment of the waterfront which will create high-density development.

"We originally talked about moving out to the south Mountain where the growth would occur," he said. "But with the Green Belt legislation, Places to Grow and the new intensification rules, we (had) to rethink this."

SteelTown
Apr 5, 2008, 1:29 PM
Either at that West end clinic (former bingo hall) at Main St W or Innovation Park is my bet.

the dude
Apr 5, 2008, 3:25 PM
^and roller skating rink. good times.

SteelTown
Apr 15, 2008, 11:09 AM
Residents oppose plan to restrict Mac ER

Daniel Nolan
The Hamilton Spectator
Dundas

Area residents are strongly opposed to plans to convert the emergency department at McMaster University Medical Centre into a children's-only emergency ward.

Opposition is so strong that Councillor Russ Powers and his Dundas community council will meet tomorrow night to come up with ways to try to convince Hamilton Health Sciences and its provincial superiors to back away from the idea and leave the status quo. They will co-ordinate strategy with opponents in Westdale and Flamborough.

The change is part of HHS's plans for health care delivery in the city that also calls for expanding the ERs at Hamilton General and Henderson hospitals, and building an urgent care centre in the west end. An urgent care centre deals with illnesses and injuries that do not require an ER.

"Emphatically, everyone who has spoken to us has said anything less than a full service, 24-7 emergency department is unsatisfactory," Powers said last night at an HHS open house at the Dundas Lions Memorial Community Centre. "I don't think there's a single person who has said it's a good idea."

He said he knows of a Dundas resident who recently had a cardiac incident "and from the time they left their home in Dundas, drove in, went through triage, it was 17 minutes. It's going to take you twice or three times that to get to the General."

Donald and Hannah Sprung, both 74, were two of the hundreds of residents who attended the open house. They hope HHS drops the ER idea. "If it's going to be just a pediatric ward, it's not very useful to the people in the west end," said Hannah Sprung.

Joyce Smith, 74, of Troy, also wants the ER to remain open. "It's way too far," she said about having to travel to the General or Henderson. "By the time we get to the General, we could be dead."

Business owner Phyllis Kraemer recalls the hospital was built as a community-based facility.

"It's what the community needed then and it needs now," said the owner of The Keeping Room.

HHS president and CEO Murray Martin called the opposition a challenge, in terms of educating the community.

"Certainly in health care change is always very difficult.... Our challenge is to explain to them why we actually strongly believe this is in their best interest to allow us to provide the best care possible."

He said HHS will take the feedback from the community and will "certainly look for ideas on how we can enhance our plan," but he didn't believe the status quo provides the community with the best care possible. He hoped through education over the next three years to bring the community onside.

"I live in Burlington and I jokingly say I would like to have a tattoo on my chest -- if I'm having a heart attack or a stroke -- 'Take me to the General.' That's where great health care has gone."

Hammer Town
May 6, 2008, 10:27 PM
The should be south of stonechuch at least either at the far west end but they have Mac I think more out towards stoney creek. Lots of growth out that way. Just my 2 cents.

SteelTown
Aug 22, 2008, 11:04 AM
HHS picks west end for urgent care centre

August 22, 2008
Andrew Dreschel
The Hamilton Spectator

Hamilton Health Sciences has finally chosen a site for its new urgent care centre, but it means closing down its existing fertility clinic located at the same spot.

Murray Martin, HHS president and CEO, says the hospital wants to put the $4-million facility on current hospital property known as the West End Clinic, at 690 Main St. West and Macklin Street, opposite Visitors Inn.

The new centre is intended to relieve pressure on ER rooms and soften the impact of the hospital's controversial plan to restrict McMaster University Medical Centre's emergency department to children within four years.

At present, the Main Street West site houses the McMaster Family Practice clinic and HHS's own Centre for Reproductive Care.

Martin says under the urgent care plan, the family clinic will remain but the fertility clinic will close for good.

"It's an uninsured service and there's been a fairly rapid growth of private providers.

"We have actually been losing money on it for the last few years and we felt it's not something we should continue with."

The 20 or so staffers were notified this week about the closure and told they'll be transferred to other hospital jobs.

Martin said commitments to current fertility clients will be honoured but the clinic will be phased out over the next few months and the space converted to the new urgent care centre, which HHS hopes to open by fall 2009 -- if the plan is approved by local health-care powerbrokers.

Martin says it's an ideal spot for the centre because it can easily be reached by residents from the North End, West Hamilton and Westdale, Dundas, Ancaster, Flamborough and the west Mountain.

It also has good access to public transit, high visibility and ample parking.

"Looking at the literature around North America, the No. 1 success indicator of an urgent care centre is parking," Martin said.

The centre will be geared to providing care for patients with less serious injuries and illnesses.

Ambulances won't go there and it will probably only be open from about 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

But Martin notes patients will be able to get in and out in about an hour, unlike unpredictable ER wait times.

Not everyone is enamoured of the plan.

City Councillor Scott Duvall, who represents Ward 7 on the central Mountain, wants an urgent care centre located on the Mountain.

As does Councillor Terry Whitehead, who represents Ward 8 on the west Mountain.

Whitehead argues health care on the Mountain is underserviced as a result of HHS closing down the emergency room at its Chedoke site and then, several years later, eliminating the urgent care centre that was supposed to replace it.

He points out that when HHS first revealed it was going to open a new urgent care centre, it talked about a Mountain location. Whitehead believes HHS succumbed to pressure from the city's west end.

"A petition is being drafted and it's going into all the corner stores and grocery stores on the west Mountain," Whitehead said.

"We're taking a real proactive push to send a message to Health Sciences that the decision needs to be a prudent one, not a political one."

HHS says it changed its mind about locating the centre on the Mountain after checking with the city and realizing the heaviest population growth will be in the lower city as a result of intensification and curbs to urban sprawl.

HHS operates three acute care hospitals -- Mac, General and Henderson.

The urgent care centre is part of its massive restructuring plan that calls for consolidating specific medical services at specific hospitals, a plan that includes concentrating pediatric services at Mac and making its ER kids-only.

That means the 22,000 or so adults who yearly use the Mac ER will have to go to the two other acute care sites, St. Joseph's Hospital, or the new urgent care centre.

The siting proposal along with the consolidation plans were submitted to the Local Health Integration Network earlier this month. Martin is optimistic they'll be approved.

Meanwhile, HHS will give city council an overview at an open forum Sept. 8, an exchange both Duvall and Whitehead say they look forward to.

raisethehammer
Aug 22, 2008, 11:22 AM
haha...Whitebread. what a joke this guy is.
So old school. It's all about him and his ward. No big picture, no concern for the city as a whole.
Maybe he should get some of his streets turned to one-way towards the 403 so his residents can shave a couple minutes off their trip to the West End Clinic.

SteelTown
Sep 3, 2008, 11:13 AM
St. Joe's eyes urgent care centre for Mountain

September 03, 2008
Andrew Dreschel
The Hamilton Spectator

Less than a month after plans were unveiled for a new urgent care centre in the city's west end, there's now talk of another one being built on the Mountain.

Kevin Smith, president and CEO of St. Joseph's Healthcare, says his hospital is discussing building an urgent care facility as part of the multimillion-dollar redevelopment of its mental health site at Fennell and West 5th Street, the location of the old Hamilton Psychiatric Hospital.

Smith says the hospital is "working up a concept" for an urgent care centre focused primarily on the needs of mental health patients but with spare space given to other patients. He says the discussions are "fairly far along" internally, but still at the preliminary stage with the Ministry of Health and the Local Health Integration Network, which oversees community health planning and decisions.

The siting of a new urgent care centre is controversial because of the recent decision by Hamilton Health Sciences to put a new one on Main Street West in the lower city.

The HHS decision came despite calls from some councillors to place the urgent care centre on the Mountain. HHS's proposal is clearly intended to compensate for its plan to make the emergency department at the McMaster University Medical Centre children's-only.

But city councillors Scott Duvall and Terry Whitehead, who represent central and west Mountain, respectively, argue their area is shortchanged when it comes to receiving immediate medical care compared to the lower city, which has three emergency rooms and an urgent care centre as opposed to one emergency room on the brow.

Smith stresses St. Joe's urgent care discussions are not connected with HHS's decision.

He says the driving factor for St. Joe's is meeting the needs of mental health patients, who "don't get an adequate kick at standard medical services." If that results in infrastructure and operational resources that can be extended for efficiency's sake to the general population, then St. Joe's would be prepared to provide it, Smith says.

Duvall says it's "terrific" St. Joe's is thinking about urgent care for the Mountain and he hopes they open it to all residents.

Whitehead says the West 5th site, which is in his ward, isn't perfect. He'd prefer it further on the south Mountain. But, he says, the fact St. Joe's is talking about it at all is good news.

"I think it's prudent to put an urgent care centre somewhere on the Mountain, period."

Urgent care centres are intended to free up emergency departments by providing quick care for patients with injuries and illnesses who may need immediate treatment but are not in serious danger.

Since its opening in 1996, the St. Joe's urgent care centre on the east side of the city has been a ringing success.

It has about 45,000 visits annually, which is second only to the St. Joe's emergency department at Charlton Avenue, which has about 50,000 visits.

Smith says he expects the hospital will decide in the next six to eight months whether to focus the urgent care centre on mental health or take a broader perspective.

At that point, he says, St. Joe's would start serious consultations with the Local Health Integration Network, as well as local partners such HHS and McMaster University.

Though Smith doesn't rule out the possibility of someday building another urgent care centre on the south Mountain, he says the West 5th site makes sense right now because of the redevelopment project in the works.

St. Joe's Mountain Health Services is the regional centre for mental health care in south-central Ontario, providing services to Hamilton, Brant, Halton, Niagara and Haldimand-Norfolk.

Its redevelopment -- basically a staggered teardown and rebuild -- is scheduled to get under way in December 2009 and be completed around 2013.

Smith says he's unable to put a price tag on the massive project because of the competitive bid process being used.

But the cost was previously estimated to be in the neighbourhood of $276 million.

raisethehammer
Sep 3, 2008, 11:35 AM
I noticed yesterday that a huge frame is up at Fennell and West 5th on this property.
I assumed it was going to be for a big sign/picture of a construction project there. This confirms it.
It might make sense for an urgent care centre here, but not the south mountain.
Duvall, Whitehead etc.... need to get that out of their heads. There simply isn't the population.
The city is wasting a ton of money by putting a new Y/library out there. It should have been built in the Mohawk Rd area somewhere, not on the fringe of the lowest density part of our city.

SteelTown
Sep 26, 2008, 12:38 PM
Why can't HHS do what was suggested in the past and relocate HHS office employees to the downtown core and with the free space now available build a new pedardic ER wing? Fill up the old Bank of Montreal building on James at Jackson Square, above LCBO.

McMaster has a good chunk of employees at the McMaster downtown centre and it works perfectly fine. Purchasing and Accounts Payable is all at the downtown centre and I either phone, email or fax (never had a problem).

highwater
Sep 26, 2008, 1:11 PM
I don't pretend to be well-versed in this issue, but I believe it's a doctor shortage problem as much as a space problem.

markbarbera
Sep 26, 2008, 1:41 PM
If I had the chance to bend the ear of an HHS board member, this is what I would suggest:

1. Abandon the plan to convert Mac Medical's emergency to pediatric only.

2. Renovate the former Chedoke facility and move all pediatric care here, including a pediatric emergency. Alternatively, build a new pediatric care facility on the Innovation Park lands.

3. Move the family clinic facilities out of the Main and Macklin facility to the space at Mac Medical made available by the relocation of pedicatrics, then sell off the Macklin property.

SteelTown
Sep 29, 2008, 8:44 PM
Children-only ER approved

September 29, 2008
By Fariba Sahraei

Hamilton Health Sciences will go ahead with plans to convert the McMaster University Medical Centre into a children-only operation to improve care for kids.

The Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) voted this afternoon to approve the controversial proposal in which the McMaster's emergency department and intensive care unit will be closed to adults in three years.

"Certainly in health care, change is always very difficult ... Our challenge is to explain to them why we actually strongly believe this is in their best interest to allow us to provide the best care possible," Murray Martin, Hamilton Health Services president and CEO, said prior to the vote.

"We understand there are concerns in the community. We are listening to understand what those concerns are, and part of our responsibility, as we deliberate on the plan that has been proposed to us ... will be looking to the concerns that have been voiced by members of the community," Juanita Gledhill, chairperson, Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant Local Health Integration Network, said earlier.

SteelTown
Jun 18, 2011, 1:21 AM
Three cranes popped up like overnight, think they are working on a fourth crane...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/Appster/IMG00283-20110617-1855.jpg

SteelTown
Jun 18, 2011, 4:15 PM
http://www.cannondesign.com/#%2Fexpertise%2Fproject_catalog%2F91

http://www.cannondesign.com/FILES/original/2011/04/11/5812cba961bc888b97e3fd2318310ecbc03cc12f.jpg
Cannon Design

DC1983
Jun 19, 2011, 2:45 PM
Three cranes popped up like overnight, think they are working on a fourth crane...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/Appster/IMG00283-20110617-1855.jpg

I noticed these ontop of the mountain pulling in on the 403 in Aldershot. Fig'd it was for the HPH.

SteelTown
Oct 3, 2012, 3:54 PM
Margaret and Charles Juravinski Centre for Integrated Healthcare
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/Appster/65adebd54c07b6cee3f1eda58cea.jpg
Cathie Coward/Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/photozone/810239--photos-views-from-above

Dr Awesomesauce
Oct 5, 2012, 2:10 PM
Those two sure do like having their name on things, don't they?

How's this sound? The pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce Hospice for Chronic Ego Maniacs.

It has a nice ring to it...