PDA

View Full Version : Sonar is now called Fabric

leftside
Jan 23, 2008, 2:57 AM
Change of ownership? Lets hope they replace the crappy Sonar advertising outside soon.

I missed the Derrick Carter show for their opening night. Should have been good.

hollywoodnorth
Jan 23, 2008, 6:14 AM
I wonder if its affiliated with teh UK Brand name.....most likley

djh
Jan 23, 2008, 6:31 AM
I wonder if its affiliated with teh UK Brand name.....most likley

Most likely NOT. Fabric in London is massive. They pull in huge names for regular nights. That's not gonna happen in Vancouver, except on special occasions. if they were to go anywhere in North America it would be New York, THEN LA. Tiny little Vancouver and teeny tiny Sonar wouldn't even be on the shortlist for expansion. What next, Ministry of Sound?! LOL

westcoast604
Jan 23, 2008, 6:37 AM
I doubt it has any connection to Fabric in London but im sure that was an inspiration for the name. I missed the Derrick Carter opening too.

Chris Cox happened to be dj'ing the same night -Saturday - at Celebrities and I heard the energy in the club was through the roof. Their "Popular" Saturdays just got an overhaul with superstar international dj's on the weekly bill to compliment their "Stereotype" Fridays. They have also started adding many more dancers, circus performers, and side shows on Saturday nights. Celebrities is flirting with the big leagues now and is hands down the best nightclub in the city. If only they had an afterhours.

westcoast604
Jan 23, 2008, 6:43 AM
Most likely NOT. Fabric in London is massive. They pull in huge names for regular nights. That's not gonna happen in Vancouver, except on special occasions.

When was the last time you checked out celebrities on a Friday? Practically every friday features a big name dj from out of town. Saturdays are now joining that rank. The names that have been through that dj booth in the past year are quite impressive.

SpongeG
Jan 23, 2008, 7:57 AM
yah Vancouver does quite well

does anyone remember the celebs after hours before it shut down?

I never went but my friend said it was creepy in the basement

hopefully the str8's don't take it over - but the nouse of venus dickie doo crowd have moved onto to the biltmore - its the hip gay venue now

djh
Jan 23, 2008, 6:12 PM
When was the last time you checked out celebrities on a Friday? Practically every friday features a big name dj from out of town. Saturdays are now joining that rank. The names that have been through that dj booth in the past year are quite impressive.

Last year was my last time. And it was great. No denying they've had big names there. As *one-offs* is my point. But Celebrities on its best night wasn't anywhere near as good as my *worst* night at Fabric in London (I think that was a live set by Roni Size in one room, and some indian/electronica fusion band in the other room, may have been Asian Dub Foundation, but I left).

Here's the calendar for Celebrities in February - all no-names (http://www.celebritiesnightclub.com/upcoming_events/2008/2/all)

Here's the calendar for Fabric (London) in February - (http://www.fabriclondon.com/club/listings.php) - let's start with some highlights: LTJ Bukem, Fabio, DJ Hype (all on Friday in 3 separate rooms); Stanton Warriors, Casper C, Matt Carter, Terry Francis, Craig Richards, Scratch Perverts, Adam F, DJ Hype again, Craig Richards again, Dillinja, (half of) Smith & Mighty, A Guy Called Gerald, Stereo MCs, etc. Many of them come back a couple of times a month, again and again. They are not "special one offs"

Bottom line: Vancouver's very best club does not pull the same quality of international acts *on a regular basis* as one of many clubs in London, so don't even wast time comparing them. So there's no way if Fabric was to set up a club in teeny tiny Vancouver could they generate enough income to fly in, say, Derrick Carter and Fabio every Friday night and put them up in a 5 star hotel, considering what they would make for the same gig in New York or London. So ultimately, Sonar is NOT affiliated to Fabric London.

SpongeG
Jan 23, 2008, 11:13 PM
doesn't take a brain surgeon to tell Vancouver is off the star DJ route - lol

westcoast604
Jan 24, 2008, 2:52 AM
Last year was my last time. And it was great. No denying they've had big names there. As *one-offs* is my point. But Celebrities on its best night wasn't anywhere near as good as my *worst* night at Fabric in London (I think that was a live set by Roni Size in one room, and some indian/electronica fusion band in the other room, may have been Asian Dub Foundation, but I left).

Here's the calendar for Celebrities in February - all no-names (http://www.celebritiesnightclub.com/upcoming_events/2008/2/all)

Here's the calendar for Fabric (London) in February - (http://www.fabriclondon.com/club/listings.php) - let's start with some highlights: LTJ Bukem, Fabio, DJ Hype (all on Friday in 3 separate rooms); Stanton Warriors, Casper C, Matt Carter, Terry Francis, Craig Richards, Scratch Perverts, Adam F, DJ Hype again, Craig Richards again, Dillinja, (half of) Smith & Mighty, A Guy Called Gerald, Stereo MCs, etc. Many of them come back a couple of times a month, again and again. They are not "special one offs"

Bottom line: Vancouver's very best club does not pull the same quality of international acts *on a regular basis* as one of many clubs in London, so don't even wast time comparing them. So there's no way if Fabric was to set up a club in teeny tiny Vancouver could they generate enough income to fly in, say, Derrick Carter and Fabio every Friday night and put them up in a 5 star hotel, considering what they would make for the same gig in New York or London. So ultimately, Sonar is NOT affiliated to Fabric London.

I still have to disagree. While in the past this has been true - not so much for the past year. Big names have been playing at celebrities week after week for over a year. Fridays have been becoming more and more consistant one after another in terms of big name djs. Unfortunatly their site is not completely filled in for past events, but the back to back big names are becoming standard for their weekly scheduling.

Sure there are no big name residents - but still a regular night you can count on in this city to go see a someone from out of town. We are totally on the international dj circuit now for Djs touring North America and its about time.

I tend to think of one off events moreso what you would find at the plaza club or caprice - where they have a big name in every few weeks but there is no official "club night" for it, and its certainly not regular. "Stereotype" is a brand and is consistant in bringing in talent - therefore i do not consider these fridays one-off events.

edit: and this has nothing to do with Fabric in London - theres no comparison, so im not sure why your bringing that up as a comparison - apart from the original topic of the thread.

djh
Jan 24, 2008, 6:31 AM
edit: and this has nothing to do with Fabric in London - theres no comparison, so im not sure why your bringing that up as a comparison - apart from the original topic of the thread.

Check the name of the thread, and the first discussion topic -i.e, the conjecture that this new Fabric was owned by the London Fabric.

bc2mb
Jan 25, 2008, 10:29 PM
this is ironic, since here in Winnipeg, we just had a new club open named 'Sonar,' .. used to be metro.

vid
Jan 25, 2008, 10:31 PM
I thought some regulator body was just fucking around and renamed "SONAR" as Fabric..

http://woodshole.er.usgs.gov/operations/sfmapping/images/sonar2.jpg
Now called "Fabric"

SpongeG
Jan 27, 2008, 9:43 AM
seems there is a lack of club names

most cities ahve clubs of the same name

sky bar
roxy
sonar
crush

etc etc