PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Central | ?m | 9 fl | Phase 1-2 Complete, Phase 3 U/C

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Ottawade
Apr 1, 2008, 12:04 AM
Everyone here keeps saying that location needs a lift, but food wise that building is a gem:

- Ada's and Gina's both great diners for breakfast
- Grab some green tea at the Asian tea store and some records from sounds unlikely
- Clocktower brew pub is just a few blocks away
- Vietnamese kitchen has awesome Pad Thai and $2.50 beers!

m0nkyman
Apr 1, 2008, 12:42 AM
Wow, condoms and cash. What else could be more convenient for a single apartment dweller late at night? ;)

liquor store.

O-Town Hockey
Apr 1, 2008, 1:27 AM
Everyone here keeps saying that location needs a lift, but food wise that building is a gem:

- Grab some green tea at the Asian tea store and some records from sounds unlikely

Don't forget The Works (www.worksburger.com/). Nothing says classy condo living like gourmet hamburgers! (one of my personal favourites)

peteotown
Apr 3, 2008, 9:10 PM
Just wondering if anyone has a copy of a price list they can post, or at least any information about the price range for 1bedroom+den's.

waterloowarrior
Apr 5, 2008, 1:55 PM
two citizen articles on central

Picture this condo at Gladstone & Bank - (http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/homes/story.html?id=c0e2ccfa-d075-41f0-8741-729eea67542d&p=1)Hundreds lined up to buy, money in hand, proving Central is one very hot property (http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/homes/story.html?id=c0e2ccfa-d075-41f0-8741-729eea67542d&p=1)

Taking a risk - Developers still have to secure council approval for $70-million modern condo (http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/homes/story.html?id=b01be82d-b5d1-4fc8-a11d-d0ee5d24f8d6)

I really don't get Clive Doucet

Across the council table, Capital Ward Councillor Clive Doucet is firmly opposed to the design of the condominium, although he says it's good news that more people will be living downtown.

"It's an ugly building. It looks like a military barracks with balconies," says Doucet, who was the only councillor at planning committee to oppose the condominium. "It is way over-built. We needed development in that area, but in a six-storey building with lots of green space and large apartments for families, not just old and young people.

"This is uglification of downtown, not densification," adds the councillor, who often rides his bike to city hall from his Glebe home. "This gives densification a bad name."

O-Town Hockey
Apr 5, 2008, 3:27 PM
If this condo was being built on Sparks Street or Sussex I would understand some of Clive Doucet's coments, but it is being built along one of the most run-down areas of Bank Street and promises to bring people, stores, and a bit of life to that area. Not to mention that this will be in place of a really horrid-looking church and a surface parking lot. I don't find the building to look all that bad. I wouldn't want to see a DT that consisted of only this style but a mixture of styles, including this one, looks quite nice (it reminds me of some of the new projects in the Distillery District in Toronto). I will be surprized if this project does not go through.

Bucolic Urbanity
Apr 5, 2008, 3:47 PM

Picture this condo at Gladstone & Bank - (http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/homes/story.html?id=c0e2ccfa-d075-41f0-8741-729eea67542d&p=1)Hundreds lined up to buy, money in hand, proving Central is one very hot property (http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/homes/story.html?id=c0e2ccfa-d075-41f0-8741-729eea67542d&p=1)

Taking a risk - Developers still have to secure council approval for $70-million modern condo (http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/homes/story.html?id=b01be82d-b5d1-4fc8-a11d-d0ee5d24f8d6)

Across the council table, Capital Ward Councillor Clive Doucet is firmly opposed to the design of the condominium, although he says it's good news that more people will be living downtown.

"It's an ugly building. It looks like a military barracks with balconies," says Doucet, who was the only councillor at planning committee to oppose the condominium. "It is way over-built. We needed development in that area, but in a six-storey building with lots of green space and large apartments for families, not just old and young people.

"This is uglification of downtown, not densification," adds the councillor, who often rides his bike to city hall from his Glebe home. "This gives densification a bad name."

Doucet and Holmes are the grumpy old sneering folks on council who talk a good talk about densification etc, in the City but when it happens to be in their Ward they get very dismissive. Do either of these two have any background in architecture, urban planning, urban design or similar backgrounds.

Calling a building 'ugly' is a very broad viewpoint for somebody who is supposed to be representing an entire area of the City. However, it seems as though his opinions don't hold much weight as 130 people put down deposits.

In terms of timing, the development has probably been through so many hoops at City Hall that they took a calculated risk to start pre-selling now. AFAIK, they haven't done anything wrong.

ptmOttawa
Apr 6, 2008, 11:14 PM
Ok I'm going to de-lurk myself here and post some photos from this afternoon at the Central sales center. This sales board showing which units have been sold (red dots)
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk143/ptmOttawa/centralboard06-04-08.jpg

and the price list from Sunday April 6. They've upped the price of the London unit from 234,000 to 259,000 in just one week!

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk143/ptmOttawa/Misc002.jpg

Mille Sabords
Apr 7, 2008, 12:45 AM
Thanks, interesting info for sure!

Cre47
Apr 7, 2008, 12:50 AM

Looking at the picture on the Citizen article, I've have to agree it doesn't look too inspiring in that angle, not to mention it is another low/mid-rise downtown

peteotown
Apr 7, 2008, 2:54 AM
Ok I'm going to de-lurk myself here and post some photos from this afternoon at the Central sales center. This sales board showing which units have been sold (red dots)
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk143/ptmOttawa/centralboard06-04-08.jpg

and the price list from Sunday April 6. They've upped the price of the London unit from 234,000 to 259,000 in just one week!

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk143/ptmOttawa/Misc002.jpg

I visited the sales center on Saturday afternoon, which seemed to be as busy as ever. My girlfriend and I are new to the the 'buying a condo' world, but we were quite surprised and confused about what we saw. I was hoping someone here may have some advice/knowledge about condo shopping.

We originally looked at Mondrian, which we were excited about, but we weren't prepared to act now in buying. However, the unit that we like that is available (1bedroom + den on 19th floor), has risen from about 230K to now 266K in only a couple of weeks (of which I am sure that 230K is much higher than the original prices) - frustrating!.

Now, in regards to Central, we liked the building, not a huge fan of the location (for these prices), however quite liked the unites and the finishes. What we can't understand, is after only a week and a half on the market, is this degree of price fluctuation typical? The Citizen article talks about some of the prices rising 25K following the opening night, and some going from 134K to 195K in one day. Even from Saturday to Sundays (posted above) pricelist the London has risen 5K (it is posted as $254,900 on my price list from Saturday). What we don't understand is why is there such a change in prices in such a short period of time? I assume that price changes are due to supply/demand, but having never witnessed another building release in Ottawa, is this frenzy typical or are people just very excited about project? I personally was more excited about the Mondrian location, however was hoping as the Central will not be open for another 3 years that we would be able to take our time before buying a unit. We liked the Stockholm unit, but at almost 280K +parking+storage (at today's prices, don't know how long will stay for) to wait three years to live a significant distance down Bank Street where it becomes a hassle to get to the Market or even a bit of a walk to the Transitway, I personally don't see the value.

I hope this hasn't become a rant, but this weekend was frustruating as these projects have lost us as potential buyer's. I guess this was an experience for us, and now when we have cash in hand and ready to sign, I will know that I need to act on opening day to get a good price and be prepared to wait for the building to be built.

d_jeffrey
Apr 7, 2008, 3:37 AM
:previous:

Opening night had deals for previous buyers from the Mondrian and East Market. People were aware of the cost difference before going there. So basically you would have paid the "new" price anyways.

MilesDavis
Apr 9, 2008, 7:20 PM
I have a feeling many of those sales are bogus and have been purchased by realtors and speculators, not prospective tenants.

waterloowarrior
Apr 9, 2008, 10:20 PM
APPLICATION TO DEMOLISH A PORTION OF 453 BANK STREET AND APPLICATION TO ALTER 453 BANK STREET LOCATED IN THE CENTRETOWN HERITAGE CONSERVATION DISTRICT AND APPLICATION TO DEMOLISH 343 MCLEOD STREET (http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/occ/2008/04-09/disposition34.htm)

Committee recommendations as amended

That Council:

1. Approve the application to demolish part of 453 Bank Street and to construct an addition to it consisting of a new residential building with retail at grade according to plans submitted by Fotenn Urban Planners and designers subject to these plans being modified to provide for the east façade having a transition in building form and scale to the lower profile development located east of the site and the retention of 453 Bank Street in situ during construction.

2. Approve delegation authority for the modifications required to be made to the east façade as set out in Recommendation 1 to the Director of Planning, in consultation with the Ward Councillor.

3. Approve the application to demolish 343 McLeod Street.
CARRIED

m0nkyman
Apr 9, 2008, 10:35 PM
2. Approve delegation authority for the modifications required to be made to the east façade as set out in Recommendation 1 to the Director of Planning, in consultation with the Ward Councillor.

hmmm.

waterloowarrior
Apr 10, 2008, 3:24 AM
Council approves nine-story condominium project at Bank and Gladstone
More than half of 223 units at The Central are already sold
Jake RupertOttawa Citizen
Wednesday, April 09, 2008

OTTAWA-A gamble by a development company to start selling condos in a downtown building before council approved the structure paid off Wednesday when the project was overwhelmingly approved.

The $70-million building on Bank and Gladstone streets, called The Central, is to contain 223 units. Urban Capital put them on sale almost two weeks ago, banking on people's desire to live downtown would outweigh the uncertainty.

The company was right. In four days, 130 of the units had been sold, and it is expected to be full before so much as a shovel is put in the ground and three years before the building is scheduled to be completed.

The apartment building will surround the front of the Metropolitan Bible Church, which will be retained. It will be nine-storeys high at its tallest point with fewer storeys fronting on Bank Street.

The condos, which will range in size from 468 square feet and an introductory price of $134,900 to 1,117 square feet and $419,900, are wide and shallow, and face an inner courtyard or the street. There are also penthouses and loft houses planned for the eco-friendly building, which will meet LEED's (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver standards.

Members of the city's architecture advisory board had urged council to reject the building on several grounds, including that the "massive block" style didn't take advantage of the "exciting architectural opportunities" offered by the site. They also said the building was way out of proportion with the guideline of three- to four-storey buildings along traditional main streets like Bank Street.

Furthermore, the advisory board warned that if the city keeps allowing larger buildings than called for in the city's heritage plans, the documents soon would be only worth the paper they are written on.

Capital Councillor Clive Doucet alone voted against the project Wednesday.

The rest of the councillors, including Somerset Councillor Diane Holmes, who is responsible for the area, voted to allow the proposal.

© Ottawa Citizen 2008

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=c263513a-a85e-4a71-aa08-d2a8d48c864b&k=80566

clynnog
Apr 10, 2008, 12:15 PM
hmmm.

Yeah, that one scares me as well...delegated authority is supposed to be w/o local Councillor input (aka interference) and I believe this is in Holmes ward...so you can be sure at the last minute the density will be cut in 1/2 etc.

azz
Apr 10, 2008, 2:37 PM

Vietnamese Kitchen with their cheap beer will have mucho more clientele now that the homeless drop in centre is moving across the street.

At least if you are single and live at Central you wont have to go too far for beer, drugs and whores....single life at its best!!!!!! :haha:

d_jeffrey
Apr 10, 2008, 6:27 PM
Vietnamese Kitchen with their cheap beer will have mucho more clientele now that the homeless drop in centre is moving across the street.

At least if you are single and live at Central you wont have to go too far for beer, drugs and whores....single life at its best!!!!!! :haha:

What is the point of homeless centers in the city anyways? They haven't learned their lessons from the Byward Market? You never try to help people in their enviromnent. This centre should have been built in the exurbs. These centre don't serve any purpose they continue keeping the people in misery, by giving them food and a shelter, while they can continue to panhandle and do drugs.

kwoldtimer
Apr 11, 2008, 3:22 AM
The sales board is interesting. I suspect the north facing units on the second and third floor are going to be a tough sell (bad light and Gladstone traffic is taking urban lifestyle a tad too far for most). I am surprised, however that the north facing units on the top floors also seem to be moving slowly, including the top floor north-east corner. I thought the downtown view would be a big selling point.:shrug:

Ottawade
Apr 11, 2008, 12:14 PM
I'm kinda amazed none of the lofthouses have been sold. They looked pretty nice. Only downside I could see was having a front door out on the ground level.

azz
Apr 11, 2008, 2:18 PM
What is the point of homeless centers in the city anyways? They haven't learned their lessons from the Byward Market? You never try to help people in their enviromnent. This centre should have been built in the exurbs. These centre don't serve any purpose they continue keeping the people in misery, by giving them food and a shelter, while they can continue to panhandle and do drugs.

I agree fully, but you would have a better chance getting Jesus to convert to Islam than convincing the councillors and the simple folk out in the sticks to set up some sorta ranch for these folk.

I think it would be good for them and if they need services and/or to be shipped back into the city for other reasons, Im sure a school bus can be organized. I mean if the mushroom farm in Metcalfe can do it Im sure a publically funded initiative can too!

azz

O-Town Hockey
Apr 22, 2008, 8:02 PM
Things have settled at the Central sales centre after all that chaos a few weeks ago. They have 110 units sold which is approximately 50%....pretty good for less than a month into sales.

Danman
Apr 26, 2008, 8:21 PM
I purchased a unit in the Mondrian on opening weekend there were about 75 red dots by sunday, 10 days later after the cooloff there were only 25 left, you still have to be able to afford the place even if you have the down payment for it! They wont sell it to you if the bank doesn't approve :yes:

Went by the sales office today and found there were a lot less red dots than on opening weekend...
Half of the 8th floor is now available :sly:
I guess reality has set in for some hopefull purchasers :(

c_speed3108
Apr 28, 2008, 1:08 AM
You know I really wonder if the developer does not have alot of hired actors in the line-up opening weekend to make it look like the demand is higher than it really is and rush other buyers into make purchases rather then taking there time and do the research. All of Urban Capital's launches seem to have this very same pattern. You don't see it with other developers as much.

kwoldtimer
Apr 28, 2008, 1:41 AM
Makes you wonder how many actual owner/residents have purchased, given the number of units seemingly taken up by investors.

MilesDavis
Apr 29, 2008, 3:13 PM
You know I really wonder if the developer does not have alot of hired actors in the line-up opening weekend to make it look like the demand is higher than it really is and rush other buyers into make purchases rather then taking there time and do the research. All of Urban Capital's launches seem to have this very same pattern. You don't see it with other developers as much.

If they're using Brad Lamb as their marketing guy you can bet on it.He does the same thing in Toronto.

harls
Apr 29, 2008, 4:49 PM
Yesterday I was watching HGTV (ok, my wife was watching it, I wanted to see the habs game), and I saw a commerical spot for some show featuring that Brad Lamb guy... I think it was mentioned a few pages back, but they showed the Mondrian condo and Central Launch footage. Can't remember the name of the show, but it would be interesting to watch.

O-Town Hockey
Apr 29, 2008, 4:57 PM
Yesterday I was watching HGTV (ok, my wife was watching it, I wanted to see the habs game), and I saw a commerical spot for some show featuring that Brad Lamb guy... I think it was mentioned a few pages back, but they showed the Mondrian condo and Central Launch footage. Can't remember the name of the show, but it would be interesting to watch.

The show is called "Big City Broker" (http://www.hgtv.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=104158) and it is a reality show about Brad Lamb and his high-pressure condo market in Toronto; occassionally they come up here to Ottawa to see what projects have fallen off the truck on the way to the GTA. I have only watched one or two episodes. You can now watch full episodes online at http://www.hgtv.ca/video/. I know one of the episodes online feature the Mondrian launch.

c_speed3108
Apr 29, 2008, 5:43 PM
The show is called "Big City Broker" (http://www.hgtv.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=104158) and it is a reality show about Brad Lamb and his high-pressure condo market in Toronto; occassionally they come up here to Ottawa to see what projects have fallen off the truck on the way to the GTA. I have only watched one or two episodes. You can now watch full episodes online at http://www.hgtv.ca/video/. I know one of the episodes online feature the Mondrian launch.

Brad Lambs company (Brad Lamb realty) is responsible for selling Urban Capitals projects. They did the East Market, Mondrain and now Central's sales.

There is an episode in season 1 that features the Mondrain's launch. Shows him driving these big shot Toronto agents from his firm up to Ottawa for the opening weekend. They said they felt they had under priced certain units.

MilesDavis
Apr 29, 2008, 6:18 PM
I've heard from a few people that the idea is to boost the value by pumping up the sales and then trying to flip them prior to closing. It would be interesting to see how much they took on deposit for those sales.

Danman
Apr 30, 2008, 8:24 PM
Brad Lambs company (Brad Lamb realty) is responsible for selling Urban Capitals projects. They did the East Market, Mondrain and now Central's sales.

There is an episode in season 1 that features the Mondrain's launch. Shows him driving these big shot Toronto agents from his firm up to Ottawa for the opening weekend. They said they felt they had under priced certain units.
No Kidding...I'm one of those who benifited from Brads screw up.
The day after I signed the purchase agreement opening weekend my unit went up 18 grand
As Brad said "the early bird gets the best deal":tup:

ajldub
May 1, 2008, 8:59 AM
That's a pretty sweet investment, Danman. Mind if I ask what you had to put down to sign the purchase agreement?

Danman
May 1, 2008, 10:52 AM
That's a pretty sweet investment, Danman. Mind if I ask what you had to put down to sign the purchase agreement?

A 2500.00 cheque at signing the agreement and a total of 15% down within the next 120 days after that...I still have to put another 10% on move in so I will have a total of 25% down by then...Which is sweet cause I dont have to get my mortgage insured by CMHC ! a saving of over 4000.00 bucks...and I've made aproximately 50% on my investment so far in 2 1/2 years...sweet....:cheers:

ajldub
May 1, 2008, 6:25 PM
Dude flip that thing and let's go drinking!
:banana:

Danman
May 15, 2008, 10:59 AM
I was talking with the sales person at Central and it looks like the Central episode of Big City Broker will air on June 25th on HGTV Canada at 9:30 Pm.....See Danman's first television interview :speech:

Aylmer
May 15, 2008, 11:09 AM
All Right!

Congrats!

:)

O-Town Hockey
Jun 6, 2008, 9:20 PM
Looks like they may be able to start excavation as early as this summer:

http://www.metbiblechurch.ca/i/header.jpg

Should be an interesting project to see with the condos wrapping around the old church structure. It kinda looks like crap now, but I bet with some new windows and after the bricks are scrubbed it will look good as new. I just hope the colours in Central blend in well with the existing facade.

harls
Jun 6, 2008, 9:21 PM
^ will they have to move again when they widen Prince of Wales? :laugh:

clynnog
Jun 7, 2008, 3:03 AM
^ will they have to move again when they widen Prince of Wales? :laugh:

They are far enough away from POW. If Councillor Doucet has anything to do with it, POW will revert back to a gravel farm to market road.

Danman
Jun 25, 2008, 7:07 PM
Just a reminder that the Central will be featured on Big City Broker tonight on HGTV channel 49.

I was interviewed for the show:cool:

Aylmer
Jun 26, 2008, 1:12 AM
What time?

Tor2Ott
Jun 26, 2008, 2:12 AM
Just a reminder that the Central will be featured on Big City Broker tonight on HGTV channel 49.

I was interviewed for the show:cool:

Danman, which dude was you? Was it the near the end of the show?

KitchenerBitcher
Jun 26, 2008, 2:56 AM
Big City Broker is one of my favourite shows. Brad Lamb is a great salesman, and I liked the episode when he spoke at a meeting to a bunch of toronto nimbys. He put summed up the real estate situation there to a t!

Mille Sabords
Jun 26, 2008, 12:32 PM
I don't get HGTV - are these shows posted online afterward? I wouldn't mind watching the one with DanMan and the one KitchenerBitcher is talking about with Brad Lamb and the nimby's. Can you tell me when that episode aired?

Danman
Jun 26, 2008, 1:05 PM
Danman, which dude was you? Was it the near the end of the show?
Yeah right at the end talking about cutting edge architecture, Brad acually pats me on the shoulder which was cool. It makes it look like i bougth into Central...all in all very kewl....

Danman
Jun 26, 2008, 1:07 PM
I don't get HGTV - are these shows posted online afterward? I wouldn't mind watching the one with DanMan and the one KitchenerBitcher is talking about with Brad Lamb and the nimby's. Can you tell me when that episode aired?
I'm sure it will rerun for a week, but i'll try getting the video from my PVR to my Imac and upload a video clip of the Central part of the show

Mille Sabords
Jun 26, 2008, 3:15 PM
I'm sure it will rerun for a week, but i'll try getting the video from my PVR to my Imac and upload a video clip of the Central part of the show

:tup: It'd be wicked if it works. Thanks.

c_speed3108
Jun 26, 2008, 3:45 PM
Yeah right at the end talking about cutting edge architecture, Brad acually pats me on the shoulder which was cool. It makes it look like i bougth into Central...all in all very kewl....

Well, you were practically selling his project for him. Most of the other people they talked to seemed to be just re-shoveling his lines...probably retold by the sales people over and over. You actually said something new.

Not sure I agree with you on the architecture...but it got you on TV :D

Danman
Jun 26, 2008, 10:43 PM
:tup: It'd be wicked if it works. Thanks.
I've got the video but am paranoid of uploading to Youtube...copyright you know...Wouldnt want to be sued by Brad :tantrum:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r247/retrodan_01/DanBrad.jpg

Tor2Ott
Jun 26, 2008, 11:21 PM
Well, you were practically selling his project for him. Most of the other people they talked to seemed to be just re-shoveling his lines...probably retold by the sales people over and over. You actually said something new.

Not sure I agree with you on the architecture...but it got you on TV :D

I like how Brad near the beginning of the show, said something about achieving best building design in Ottawa, and he said "It's not hard" and laughing. I couldn't help but laugh myself. Who could blame him, with all our lame building design in this town.

c_speed3108
Jun 27, 2008, 12:35 PM
I like how Brad near the beginning of the show, said something about achieving best building design in Ottawa, and he said "It's not hard" and laughing. I couldn't help but laugh myself. Who could blame him, with all our lame building design in this town.

I just about feel over laughing at that remark too. It was also the way he said it too.... :haha:

He definitely has not achieved the best design...not even close...but it certainly isn't hard to land in the top half or even top 25%!!!!

O-Town Hockey
Jun 27, 2008, 10:00 PM
What are the sales at Central these days? Anyone heard recently? Last time someone posted, I think they were approximately 50% sold.

d_jeffrey
Jun 28, 2008, 12:22 AM

Oh non! Cachez-vous, il a des grenades! Ses armes vindicatives sur l'artisanat architectural d'Ottawa?

Aylmer
Jun 28, 2008, 4:04 PM
What the flowers?

waterloowarrior
Jul 28, 2008, 5:36 AM
last service at the met
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=ca11d9b1-441f-4f26-b5d6-7976f8c51d87

c_speed3108
Jul 28, 2008, 12:36 PM
last service at the met
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=ca11d9b1-441f-4f26-b5d6-7976f8c51d87

That article explains why they kept the front of old building....I guess it was a heritage requirement.

clynnog
Sep 25, 2008, 1:11 AM
I've got the video but am paranoid of uploading to Youtube...copyright you know...Wouldnt want to be sued by Brad :tantrum:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r247/retrodan_01/DanBrad.jpg

They had the episode on again this evening on HGTV....man o man does Brad Lamb come across as an arrogant pr*ck...maybe I'm misreading him.

I also noticed one of the Tamarack boys briefly shown...I never realized that they were partners in all this...I thought they just built out in the burbs.

Beatrix
Dec 5, 2008, 9:54 PM
I always walk by the sales center on my way to work.

I agree that this building will do wonders for the area. How far along is it in regards to sales? Any rumours about possible construction/demolition dates?

waterloowarrior
Jan 23, 2009, 5:50 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3331/3218396833_82369f496c_o.jpg

southfacing (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/)

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jan 23, 2009, 11:46 AM
I really hope this project gets built. It's exactly what the area needs and then the only thing standing in the way of continuous retail along Bank St. is that parking lot across from T&L.

Mille Sabords
Jan 23, 2009, 2:23 PM
I really hope this project gets built. It's exactly what the area needs and then the only thing standing in the way of continuous retail along Bank St. is that parking lot across from T&L.

It will get built. Half the units are already sold and they have a deal with Shoppers Drug Mart for part of the ground floor retail space.

harls
Jan 23, 2009, 5:04 PM
It will get built. Half the units are already sold and they have a deal with Shoppers Drug Mart for part of the ground floor retail space.

How many Shoppers on Bank street does that make now... 1400?

waterloowarrior
Jan 27, 2009, 5:25 PM
OMB Hearing is in February (http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/ecs/CaseDetail.aspx?n=PL080982)

waterloowarrior
Feb 20, 2009, 3:09 AM
Hearing over Centretown condo begins

City’s approval being appealed by owner of nearby building

By Patrick Dare, The Ottawa CitizenFebruary 19, 2009 10:01 PM

Metropolitan Bible Church held its' final Sunday services this morning at 453 Bank St. (@ Gladstone). The church's new building -- on Prince of Wales Drive at Hunt Club -- opens next weekend. The Bank St. location, which has a theatre-like feel to it -- opened in the 1930's.

Photograph by: Mike Carroccetto, The Ottawa Citizen

OTTAWA — A prominent former Ottawa police officer is battling a developer at the Ontario Municipal Board over a proposed building downtown that he says will devalue his apartment building next door.
Claude Turgeon, who rose to prominence as manager of the Ottawa Police Youth Centre and executive-director of the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa, is fighting a large condominium complex that has been approved by the city for Bank Street at Gladstone Avenue.

He says that the condo building, called Central and featuring 232 apartments, will present a brick wall to tenants at a four-apartment building he owns at 335 McLeod St. and that the condo building — built to the property line — will mean he won’t have space to repair the wall, windows or foundation of his apartment building.

Mr. Turgeon, now director general of crime prevention programs for the federal government and owner of a foster home in Ottawa, told a municipal board hearing Thursday that he bought two small apartment buildings on McLeod Street as a retirement investment, but is now cashing in his retirement savings plan to pay his legal bill.

He said the condo building, by Urban Capital of Toronto, will make some of the apartments at 335 McLeod St. less enjoyable to tenants and will also mean less access to his building in the event of an emergency such as a fire.

“It just seems unbelievable,” Mr. Turgeon said. “A gross injustice.”

The condo complex involves several pieces of property between Gladstone and McLeod, including the former Metropolitan Bible Church. City council approved the development in June 2008 after the company had already experienced huge success selling the condominiums. The city councillor for the ward, Diane Holmes, welcomed the development as a good step in getting more people living downtown and reviving that neighbourhood.

Michael Wright, a planning consultant testifying for Mr. Turgeon’s appeal of the zoning for the project, said that such redevelopment of the neighbourhood was good urban development, but that there wasn’t enough of a “transition” between the condo property and Mr. Turgeon’s apartment building. He said the condo building would overshadow the apartment building, itself only about 19 inches from the property line.

“It’s so close, I just don’t understand it,” Mr. Wright said.

Appraiser Mark Shore testified that Mr. Turgeon could lose 10 to 20 per cent of his rental income from the apartments involved if the condominium building went up with several storeys of brick wall facing the apartments.

He said that prospective buyers of the apartment building would also be concerned about lack of access to the building wall for maintenance of the building, including the foundation. He said the large condo right next door would also erode the curb appeal of the Turgeon property.

City planner John Smit, appearing for the City of Ottawa, which is defending the condo-building approval, told the hearing that the project in fact was precisely the kind of development that the city was trying to get.

He said that kind of building fit well into the medium height profile of the neighbourhood. Mr. Smit said that extremely tight development, with buildings almost touching one another, are a common part of Centretown.

He said some buildings as high as 12 storeys sit next to small Victorian houses in the downtown area.

Mr. Smit said the company changed its design of the condo complex in response to a design review panel, creating an interior courtyard so neighbours would not have to look at the windows of the condos and so some sunlight would be able to reach through the complex.

In an interview, Ted Fobert, a planner for the developer, said the building was initially bigger, but the design was changed many times, especially to give the Bank Street front a look that preserved the former church facade.

He said the people working on the building saw little benefit from building in from the property line at the rear of the building since that would create a small, dark alleyway that would be of little use.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Aylmer
Feb 20, 2009, 3:30 AM
Kinda Sad...

:(

harls
Feb 20, 2009, 1:26 PM
Smit is right though, there are a lot of developments in Centretown that are crammed in tight with their neighbours.

ajldub
Feb 20, 2009, 1:32 PM
It'll get built...

waterloowarrior
Feb 20, 2009, 6:36 PM
Status is now approved! :tup:

Fight over Metropolitan Bible Church site settled

By Patrick Dare, The Ottawa CitizenFebruary 20, 2009 1:11 PM
OTTAWA — The battle between a Toronto developer and an Ottawa landlord was settled Friday, with the withdrawal of an appeal before the Ontario Municipal Board.

Claude Turgeon, a prominent former Ottawa police officer, had appealed the zoning approval for Central, a 233-unit condominium complex at Bank Street and Gladstone Avenue being built by Toronto developer Urban Capital.

Mr. Turgeon objected to the development on the grounds that the nine-storey condo building would overwhelm his four-unit building next door on McLeod Street. He was particularly concerned about his access to the exterior wall and foundation of the apartment building, since the condo building would be built right to the property line.

An appraiser hired by Mr. Turgeon said he would see 10 to 20 per cent less rental income due to the construction of such a large building so close.
Friday morning the developer and Mr. Turgeon decided to settle the matter, rather than proceed with the municipal board hearing. Lawyer James McIninch, representing Mr. Turgeon, sat in the hearing room writing the terms of a settlement.

The developer’s group then held a hallway conference on the deal. They returned to the room and everyone shook hands.

Both sides declined to disclose the terms of the deal.

The City of Ottawa, which was defending its zoning approval, was not a party to the settlement deal.

Central, which involves several pieces of property between Gladstone and McLeod including the former Metropolitan Bible Church, saw strong sales when it was unveiled. The development was approved in June of 2008 by a city council that is eager to see more residential development downtown.

ajldub
Feb 20, 2009, 9:10 PM
And when all else fails, chequebook diplomacy... I love it...

highdensitysprawl
Feb 20, 2009, 10:08 PM
And when all else fails, chequebook diplomacy... I love it...

AKA...Lets make a deal planning.

It does seem rather fishy doesn't it.....there must have been pitfalls that both sides saw with their respective testimony and they decided to hold their noses and settle on something that both could agree on.

I wonder what Brad Lamb thought of all this...he did come across an arrogant prick on the HGTV show I saw.

rakerman
Jul 12, 2009, 7:55 PM
According to their ad in the Saturday Citizen: "Construction starts this August".

ty7er
Sep 2, 2009, 4:18 AM
This building looks really cool. I love how they have incorporated the church into the design and construction. It seems, however, that this building might be in a similar situation to the 360Lofts project in the market. (ie) potentially stalled? As Rakerman mentioned in the last post, the Ottawa Citizen said that construction was to begin in August. Does anyone know how things are moving along with Central? I don't live in Ottawa anymore, so it's hard for me to get information. All I know is that it should look pretty awesome when it's done.

waterloowarrior
Sep 2, 2009, 4:46 AM
This building looks really cool. I love how they have incorporated the church into the design and construction. It seems, however, that this building might be in a similar situation to the 360Lofts project in the market. (ie) potentially stalled? As Rakerman mentioned in the last post, the Ottawa Citizen said that construction was to begin in August. Does anyone know how things are moving along with Central? I don't live in Ottawa anymore, so it's hard for me to get information. All I know is that it should look pretty awesome when it's done.

There is a report on Central in the latest heritage committee (LACAC) agenda for Thursdays meeting dealing with how to incorporate the heritage facade of the Met into the building http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/a-lacac/2009/09-03/ACS2009-ICS-PGM-0173.htm

O-Town Hockey
Sep 2, 2009, 1:36 PM

They are currently just shy of 70% sold, the number that Urban Capital has set before starting construction (same as for Mondrian). They sold more than 50% immediately on opening day, but many backed out in the following weeks. Since then, sales have been steady but slow. Apparently sales have picked up a bit over the last couple months. We should expect them to "break ground" in the next 2-3 months. I put it in quotes because breaking ground is often an official ceremony, but doesn't mean construction will start right away, or any time soon.

c_speed3108
Oct 9, 2009, 3:23 PM
I was reading in the Ottawa business journal that this project has run into a major issue with the 5 meter required clearance/setback from overhead power lines:

453 Bank St. (224-unit condo project with retail space along Bank Street incorporating a heritage facade): A grandfather clause exempts the former Metropolitan Bible Church from the five-metre clearance requirement as long as significant changes are not made to the building. However, planned new construction on the site does not meet the five-metre clearance requirement and the file remains unresolved.

There are a number of others in the same boat:

http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/295596113028865.php

Mille Sabords
Oct 10, 2009, 1:04 AM

Neither project is stalled, they are just going through a slow process.

rodionx
Oct 10, 2009, 1:58 AM
According to the Centretown News, construction is supposed to begin in mid October. Here's the article: Community changes mind about church development. (http://centretownnewsonline.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1007&Itemid=94)

rakerman
Oct 10, 2009, 12:26 PM
According to the Centretown News, construction is supposed to begin in mid October. Here's the article: Community changes mind about church development. (http://centretownnewsonline.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1007&Itemid=94)

I imagine they're waiting for the Bank Street construction to wrap up, which I think is scheduled for October 24.

rocketphish
Oct 17, 2009, 10:19 PM
Shifting into gear

Young professionals, boomers, investors drive urban growth as $100-million deal signed for new Bank Street condo

By Sheila Brady, The Ottawa Citizen, October 16, 2009

Demetra Zouzoulas knew exactly what she wanted when she went condo hunting long before her bank account was fat enough to leave her childhood home in suburban South Keys.

"I am a suburban girl who wants to live downtown," says the federal policy analyst. "I started thinking about buying two years before I even went looking."

Her face lit up when she saw designs in March 2006 for the Mondrian, a stylish, 24-storey glass and concrete condo now rising over the corner of Laurier Avenue and Bank Street.

"I fell in love with the floor plan, the windows and the space," says Zouzoulas, 31, who moved into her 815-square-foot condo on the seventh floor this summer.

"I am close to work - 180 paces across the street. I make a good living and why pay for someone else’s mortgage?" says the effervescent Zouzoulas, who is moving slowly to buy furniture, not because she is cash-strapped, but because she wants to make the right decisions.

Zouzoulas belongs to Urbaina, a select club open to buyers in David Wex’s growing list of 2,500 urban condos in Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal.

It was Wex, co-owner of Urban Capital, who turned Ottawa on its urban ear in spring 2002, with East Market and modest-sized condos starting at $99,000.

Wex compares them to thoughtfully-designed Audis, with customized touches.

In fact, it was an Audi crowd who lined up for hours in March 2002 to be among the first to buy into East Market, a slick tower with views of the ByWard Market and barn doors to separate inside spaces.

Young professionals in jeans and leather jackets bought smaller units, while older buyers in cashmere sweaters eyed large condos on higher floors.

Wex followed up with two more sophisticated towers at East Market, added the Swedish-inspired Mondrian in 2006 and Central at Bank Street and Gladstone Avenue in March 2008.

Similar stories, similar profiles and higher prices.

Wex is on a condo roll, last week signing a $100-million deal to build a second phase of Central, on a neighbouring parking lot.

A few days before, an operator scrambled into the cab of a construction shovel to launch construction of the first phase. Buyers, who were sipping wine and slurping down oysters in a tent, crowded close by, cheering the start of their dream.

Wex was throwing the party to celebrate the construction start, thank clients and launch Urbaina, the buying club that counts modern furniture and fashion retailers, magazines and slick restaurants and hotels in Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City as suppliers. Buyers in the Wex buildings are all members, getting a discount.

Urbaina is a smooth touch to the Wex campaign to draw the urban, condo crowd.

He has been successful wooing young married or single professionals, who account for 60 per cent of sales, with another 20 per cent made up by monied boomers, leaving the rest to investors looking for a safe, profitable harbour.

Prices have been steadily rising since 2002, with condos in the second phase of Central likely starting at $230,000, estimates Wex, substantially higher than the $99,000 price tag in 2002.

Maureen O’Connell is a Wex expert, selling out the Mondrian and making most of the 190 sales at Central. There are 237 condos in the U-shaped building.

O’Connell paid $187,000 for her one-bedroom, plus den at the Mondrian in 2006 and it is now worth $269,000 or $1,600 a month in rent.

"This is a prime location and the styling is unique to the city, with floor to ceiling windows and a Bauhaus style," says O’Connell, who adds the smaller one-bedroom condos are always the first to be bought in the buildings by younger buyers and investors.

It is a trend that is going to keep growing, says Wex, adding the city’s push to curtail suburban growth can only help urban intensification.

Condo sales now account for 13.9 per cent of all new home sales, says analyst Ron Desjardins. "It peaked at 19 per cent in 2007, but that was a hot market," says the vice-president of PMA Brethour. "In my humble opinion, the condo share of the market will rise to 20 per cent."

In Toronto, condos take 50 per cent of sales - largely because of the affordability factor, says Desjardins. So far, condos have been a lifestyle choice in Ottawa, but that will change and affordability will become an issue, says the analyst.

Lifestyle has been the major driving force for Leslie Kirk and Holly Ralph and her mother Joy Ralph, who were sipping wine before the construction shovel roared to life.

Holly Ralph, 23, was renting downtown when she jumped into the buying frenzy at Central in spring 2008. The recruiting consultant for Rogers Communications and her fiancé are now saving for a bigger down payment, content their move-in date is spring 2111.

"The price did entice us," she says. "We are young and in a decent financial situation. This is a great opportunity to own in a great area."

She then pestered her parents, Joy and Nicholas Ralph, to buy a similar condo on the seventh floor. The older Ralphs are content to play snooker in their renovated basement in Barrhaven, knowing there is still lots of time to downsize and return to a more central neighbourhood.

They first lived in the Glebe, moved to a large country estate in Greely and then to Barrhaven. "I will be returning to a neighbourhood I have always enjoyed," she says.

It is also a neighbourhood that attracted real estate lawyer Leslie Kirk, 28, to buy into Central. "I don’t like commuting," says the Ottawa native, who prefers bicycles over cars and urban living over suburban life.

Visit urbancapital.ca for more information.

Sheila Brady is the Citizen’s Homes editor. You can reach her at sbrady@thecitizen.canwest.com.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Shifting+into+gear/2115616/story.html

rocketphish
Oct 17, 2009, 10:22 PM
^^^ And did you notice the mention in the article above of last week's signing of a $100-million deal to build a second phase of Central, to a neighbouring parking lot ?

Cool. Bring it on!

rakerman
Oct 18, 2009, 2:41 AM
[B]Shifting into gear

Wex is on a condo roll, last week signing a $100-million deal to build a second phase of Central, on a neighbouring parking lot.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Shifting+into+gear/2115616/story.html

That's great news for Bank Street. That must be the parking lot beside Central, across from T&L.

m0nkyman
Oct 18, 2009, 6:47 AM
100$ Million deal? I doubt that figure tremendously. 300 units at 300,000 each. that's a 30 story apartment with ten units per floor. 20 story with 15. 10 story with 30 units. Assume a fairly high figure of selling it at 400$/sq ft, you're looking at a building with 250,000 sq ft.

O-Town Hockey
Oct 18, 2009, 5:23 PM
That's great news for Bank Street. That must be the parking lot beside Central, across from T&L.

That must be the lot, I can't think of anything else big enough in that area. I hope they do something that is very different from Central in both height and style to keep things interesting. I doubted that Central would be enough to really kick start this end of Centretown, but with two large condo projects and a number of buildings recently renovated (or rebuilt a la T&L) it's gonna be a very different place in a few years. I eagerly await the release of some early renderings.

bikegypsy
Oct 19, 2009, 9:49 AM
There's page being turned in respect to the way developpers and buyers are looking at downtown Ottawa. I think that Bank street all the way to the 417 and maybe even beyond will be very differnet in 20 years.

k2p
Oct 19, 2009, 10:15 AM
I think that Bank street all the way to the 417 and maybe even beyond will be very differnet in 20 years.

Pray you're right. Central will help. There's Opus and two Domicile developments in the Gladstone-O'Connor-Kent-417 box, too. The key I think are the burned lot at Frank Street; the wretched lot directly across from it; James St. feed station and likely a strategic fire along Gladstone. If those under-used lots can create a good sidewalk feel and add some density along the way,that section of Bank would become quite good. That feel would, I suspect, quickly move north to about Laurier.

If indeed Central II is on the way, with the Mondrian, HP, Everett and Metropolitan already in Centretown, Bank might just start tipping the right way. Once that happens, the NIMBYs will have a helluva time keeping up with what happens to all those parking lots in the Kent-Elgin-Laurier-Gladstone box.

There's a way to go yet, but the right sprouts are shooting. And if they get together and elect a pro-urban councillor, they'll sprout faster.

waterloowarrior
Nov 17, 2009, 8:32 PM
Southfacing Oct 26
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/4048154956/

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3500/4048154956_4877736998.jpg

harls
Nov 25, 2009, 1:01 PM
The church is coming down...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2645/4131846907_14bee0b773_b.jpg

jessrawk (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessrawk/4131846907/)on flickr.

rakerman
Nov 29, 2009, 4:24 PM
demolition is well under way. the house that was on a corner of the site is gone.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2631/4143376661_cff14fe6ea.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rakerman/4143376661/)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2584/4144166172_fbfec72e5b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rakerman/4144166172/)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2776/4143410603_2b898127ed.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rakerman/4143410603/)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2589/4143432087_b3fd175d18.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rakerman/4143432087/)

waterloowarrior
Dec 5, 2009, 5:02 AM
Images of Centretown has a bunch of pictures of the demolition
http://centretown.blogspot.com/2009/12/metropolitan-bible-church-demolition.html

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eYv6opBqDv0/SxdYA0W4NmI/AAAAAAAACFs/K-e3JaS8eK8/s400/IMGP15415.JPG

includes the following tidbit on the location of Central II

Surprise number two has to do with the site next door. It seems that the company that is building the Central has bought the site next door at Bank and McLeod (directly across from Tommy & Lefebvre), including the medical building. More condos are apparently on their way.

Councillor Holmes has organized a public information meeting on this new develompent on Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 at 5:30 pm at Centretown United Church (Bank & Argyle, basement), and the developer will be on hand to present plans and concept drawings.

According to Councillor Holmes' release, a mixed-use project with retail at grade and residential units above is being proposed. Not unlike the Central condominiums, whose ground-floor retail will apparently consist of yet another Shoppers Drug Mart.

Ottawan
Dec 5, 2009, 3:27 PM
According to Councillor Holmes' release, a mixed-use project with retail at grade and residential units above is being proposed. Not unlike the Central condominiums, whose ground-floor retail will apparently consist of yet another Shoppers Drug Mart.

The City should just rename the street!

If you count the one in Billing's Bridge, that will be the 8th Shoppers on Bank Street. Counting the Murale, the 9th.

rakerman
Dec 5, 2009, 3:47 PM
They've done major cleanup on the site, all the rubble is gone.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2788/4159714467_0f0fb2b4c2.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rakerman/4159714467/)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2586/4159716579_4cd715e1c3.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rakerman/4159716579/)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2545/4159718871_60962d9acb.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rakerman/4159718871/)

Davis137
Dec 6, 2009, 3:37 PM
Cool, they are going pretty quick on this jobsite now...

Ottawade
Dec 6, 2009, 4:58 PM
I've said it once, I'll say it again: sure glad the managed to save the "heritage" facade :yuck:

harls
Dec 8, 2009, 3:56 PM
Not unlike the Central condominiums, whose ground-floor retail will apparently consist of yet another Shoppers Drug Mart.

:eeekk: :gaah:

rakerman
Dec 9, 2009, 3:24 PM
:eeekk: :gaah:

"Where's your condo?"

"Oh, it's on Drug Street. They had to rename it from Bank Street."

waterloowarrior
Dec 12, 2009, 6:59 PM
I think we can probably keep phase 1 and 2 in the same thread like La Tiffani, CP, and HP... also, the height for central Phase 1 is 31.8m

Images of Centretown has the details and drawings for Central Phase II. It is designed by Core Architects, like Phase 1 was.

131 units, 8 fl, 28.7 m, 688.4 sq m commercial space

Check out the link for more pictures/maps/details
http://centretown.blogspot.com/2009/12/central-phase-ii-what-do-you-think.html

Instead of the U-shaped building of Phase I, Phase II will be an L-shaped building of similar style hugging McLeod and Bank streets. The medical building will be leased or sold (and if they can't find any takers, they'll consider a Central Phase III). Here's a comparison of Phases I and II, again from the Core Architects document:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eYv6opBqDv0/SyPOVDk5H9I/AAAAAAAACKo/boV7iXBwKlc/s800/Display+Boards+Presented-1.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eYv6opBqDv0/SyPOT-6oIpI/AAAAAAAACKI/5MKhQbZrsyc/s400/Display+Boards+Presented-7c.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eYv6opBqDv0/SyPNfKMCPrI/AAAAAAAACKA/OwyOOlVO5-Y/s800/Display+Boards+Presented-6.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eYv6opBqDv0/SyPNe0L4BBI/AAAAAAAACJ4/fVRXnlCGFFs/s800/Display+Boards+Presented-3.jpg

Now, it's hard to make it out in this flat elevation, but we're looking at the building from the South, with Bank Street on the left and 340 McLeod on the right. The bottom of the "L" is at the left in red brick, and the rest of the building is further back. In the spirit of the LEED design principles, the developers are planning to build a Green Wall along the single-storey wall abutting the CLV parking lot. Above this first storey will be a landscaped courtyard for the residents.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eYv6opBqDv0/SyPNeWV2A2I/AAAAAAAACJw/N93dftoWYaY/s800/Display+Boards+Presented-9.jpg

On the ground floor of the building, they've got some interesting proposals going on, as shown in the rendering below. The greyish area represents ground-floor retail. They're suggesting the possibility of an urban-format grocery store in that space. The red bit is the lobby, and the yellow squares are "loft-houses," essentially two-storey townhouses at the base of the condo tower with entrances on McLeod. At the back of the site (inside the building) is the entrance to the two-level parking garage, which will have room for residents and visitors (retail parking for both phases will be provided in the Phase I building, which has only sold 70-80 parking spots of the 138 allocated to residences, leaving many available to add to the 40 spots already reserved for public parking). Lastly, a loading dock at the south-east corner of the building interior will share the same set of doors as the garage.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eYv6opBqDv0/SyPNeIWK3KI/AAAAAAAACJo/Fs0VQQsAxyg/s1600/Display%2BBoards%2BPresented-timeline.jpg

rakerman
Dec 13, 2009, 12:35 PM
err "urban-format grocery store"? What's that mean? Like Hartman's which is 4 blocks from there? That seems a bit redundant.

If it was a real butcher, cheese shop, fishmonger and bakery though, that would be awesome. One thing Centretown is currently missing is higher-end food stores like they have in the Market or Westboro.

Mille Sabords
Dec 13, 2009, 1:53 PM
err "urban-format grocery store"? What's that mean? Like Hartman's which is 4 blocks from there? That seems a bit redundant.

If it was a real butcher, cheese shop, fishmonger and bakery though, that would be awesome. One thing Centretown is currently missing is higher-end food stores like they have in the Market or Westboro.

Well, for the thousands of folks who live between the 417 and, say, Gilmour, it's a closer option. Doesn't need to be a mega-box, but forcing everyone to trudge to Hartman's with all the growth makes no sense, and seeing how Hartman's has everyone by the grapes with prices, I think a little competition won't hurt.

deva
Dec 13, 2009, 4:05 PM
err "urban-format grocery store"? What's that mean?

Maybe something like this?

http://www.onlyhereforthefood.ca/2008/05/27/revisiting-sobeys-urban-fresh/