PDA

View Full Version : Concord-on-the-Canal | 34 m | 10 fl | Proposed

Mille Sabords
Jan 29, 2008, 2:40 AM
New condo project from Avalon Homes: Concord on the Canal. This will be a triangular, 10-storey building bounded by Greenfield Ave., Concord At. and Montcalm St. The website indicates there will be retail at street level.

http://www.concordonthecanal.com/

Avalon Homes is not a well-known home-builder yet but they have a couple of interesting infill sites here and there, which I've fluked across during my voyages across the city. One in New Edinburgh near Crichton St., another one on Gilmour Stre. across from the Mennen Speedstick building, and a condo project with sales well underway in Old Nepean, close to the Merivale strip just south of Meadowlands (called BalconVue).

Let's see how this one unfolds...

waterloowarrior
Jan 29, 2008, 3:28 AM
http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/concord.jpg

kwoldtimer
Jan 29, 2008, 3:37 AM
Rendering looks not completely uninteresting ...

AuxTown
Jan 29, 2008, 4:06 AM
I like it! One word really caught me attention, "Triangular". We need a bit of variety as far as building shapes go in Ottawa; way too many boxes. That rendering reminds me a bit of the Lithwick Building, one of my favorites in town.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jan 29, 2008, 4:55 AM
Based on the rendering, this condo could either look really awesome, or really ugly...

clynnog
Jan 29, 2008, 1:19 PM
Rendering looks not completely uninteresting ...

Quite a ringing endorsement.

clynnog
Jan 29, 2008, 1:22 PM
New condo project from Avalon Homes: Concord on the Canal. This will be a triangular, 10-storey building bounded by Greenfield Ave., Concord At. and Montcalm St. The website indicates there will be retail at street level.

http://www.concordonthecanal.com/

Let's see how this one unfolds...

It appears as though the builder is being proactive in terms of public consultation etc. I gather the reason that the building will be triangular is that the lot is a triangle. Good luck to them and in their dealings with the neighbours and the City.

AuxTown
Jan 29, 2008, 1:39 PM
It appears as though the builder is being proactive in terms of public consultation etc. I gather the reason that the building will be triangular is that the lot is a triangle. Good luck to them and in their dealings with the neighbours and the City.

Here in Ottawa instead of using them for buildings, we tend to take triangular lots and use them as giant medians or as parks. It also doesn't help that the majority of the city is in a tight grid pattern and there are very few intersections that lend to such developments.

waterloowarrior
Nov 8, 2008, 7:05 PM
http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/concord_canal.jpg

waterloowarrior
Nov 8, 2008, 11:08 PM
Also, I got an email from the architect saying they are expecting a news release about this project shortly

harls
Nov 11, 2008, 9:09 PM
According to the script read by the dirtbag teenager on Paul's Boat tours, those foreground condos on Echo Drive are some of the most expensive properties in Ottawa.. something like $4 million (I think that's what he said).. I can believe it, with the Peace Tower / Canal view. I can only wonder how much people are willing to pay for an address at "Concord-on-the-Canal"?

waterloowarrior
Jun 17, 2009, 4:34 AM
this is a little pointless, but here's a pic I snapped of part of the site..;) anyone hear any news lately? Never got a followup email re: the news release

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2445/3634082369_f5cf1943ee_b.jpg

sky.high
Aug 5, 2009, 5:49 PM
Concord on the Canal... hmm... I never understood those "water front" terms.

One would think when you hear water front or on the canal, that you are right by the water, nothing between your building/house and the water. Just you.

For example, at one point they were advertising Chapman Mills homes "water fronts". I don't consider it a waterfront unless I can see the water out of my window at least!!! Same goes for Winding way. I don't see water out of the backyard... let alone the window!

There was a home listed a while back on MLS on Sunvale Way (of Cresthaven in Chapman Mills), and it was listed as a water front :haha: They just have this creek in their backyard that fills up with a bit of water when it rains. And most people that live there decide not to build a fence because they don't want to block the "view" :koko: I knew it was BS because one of my friends lives there, even he laughed when he saw the listing.

I guess as long as they "label" it a water front or add all these fancy names to it, people start slobbering...

sky.high
Aug 5, 2009, 5:59 PM
re: the Condos on Echo Drive :yuck:

Has anyone been inside one of those? Yes, they are super pricey, but the people who actually live there are mostly elderly. $1200 just in condo fees, pink/rose walls and furniture from the 50's!!! Most of the kitchens and bathrooms are outdated.

It's a shame... all that money and no renovations?

Sometimes I just like to go on MLS and look at the pricier homes. It's sad, people with all that money but no taste!!! People don't understand that they can bring up the value of their homes just by adding and fixing little things.

Makes me wanna knock on their door and do some interior design :whip:

waterloowarrior
Jan 21, 2010, 1:02 AM
When I try to visit the website, I get a Go Daddy page that says the domain name expired and is pending renewal or deletion...