PDA

View Full Version : Longest Public Transit Bus Routes

lightrail
Mar 16, 2008, 6:53 AM
Just wondering, what is the longest public transit bus route in your city, region, state, country or Province?

In British Columbia, one of the longest, if not the longest, is in the Central Kootenay Transit System - Route 4 Nakusp to Nelson, approximately 160km one-way (that's not a typo), one-way journey time of 2 hours 40 minutes and a fare of $4. The bus makes two return trips a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I was thinking about Greater Vancouver (Translink), and I think the longest bus route has to be the 351 Vancouver to Crescent Beach, approximately 60km.

mersar
Mar 16, 2008, 7:19 AM
Calgary's are probably the 72/73 (which run a clockwise and counter clockwise loop of the same route around the city) which in GE I just measured to roughly 60km. Time to run it is probably over 3 hours, and its not uncommon to have the driver switch with another at some point, especially in the evenings since it runs past one of the main bus garages. It's also on a usually 10-20 minute frequency, so you can imagine the sheer number of drivers needed just for the route.

There are a number of routes around 30km such as the 20, as well as some of the express routes such as the 133 which is Cranston in the far SE to Downtown, and the 301 BRT is probably also on the range of 30km.

worldwide
Mar 16, 2008, 8:04 AM
for metro vancouver maybe the 502 from surrey central to aldergrove. its about one hour 20 minutes

tech12
Mar 16, 2008, 9:36 AM
For the Bay Area (and slightly beyond), there's the 55 Monterey-San Jose Express (run by Monterey-Salinas Transit), which runs about 50-60 miles (around 80-100 km) one-way I'd say, starting in Monterey, then going to Seaside, Prunedale, Gilroy, Morgan Hill, and Finally San Jose. i would always get on at Seaside, and it would take around an hour and a half to two hours to get to San Jose. The trip would be about $8.50 one-way.

Rathgrith
Mar 17, 2008, 12:11 AM
Wow and I thought Ottawa's number 2 route was bad. 1 hour 45 minutes AND a milk run that goes through the dirty ghetto Vanier neighbourhood. I think it is about 10kilometers. Probably wrong through.

markdv
Mar 17, 2008, 1:35 AM
NJ Transit is the statewide bus system and covers the ENTIRE state. Service is available in smaller and rural towns. I can leave my home in Englishtown , make a few transfers and be in Atlantic City, Newark, Trenton, Camden,and Philly / NYC in a few hours. Our tax dollars at work.
I "guesstimate" the length from far north to south to be at least 130 miles.

hkskyline
Mar 17, 2008, 2:51 PM
In Hong Kong, the longest route (excluding overnight routes) is :
E22A Citybus
Tseung Kwan O (Po Lam) - AsiaWorld-Expo
- journey distance is 61.6 km.
- journey time is 98 mins approx.

BuildCTPlace
Mar 17, 2008, 8:57 PM
There's a trolleybus route in Crimea (Ukraine) (Europe) that's 86 km. It's the longest trolleybus line in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_Trolleybus

volguus zildrohar
Mar 18, 2008, 2:53 AM
Sheesh. I would have to look up some numbers but for Philadelphia/SEPTA the C bus, which runs the entire length of Broad Street and a portion of Cheltenham Avenue, has to run at least 11 miles and the 23 bus, which replaced the 23 trolley which was the world's longest streetcar route at the time of its conversion in 1991, has to be up there as well.

lightrail
Mar 26, 2008, 6:40 AM
I've found a longer route in BC - BC Transit's Clearwater and Area Transit System, Route 10 - Kamloops to Blue River - distance of 220km one-way. The bus makes one return trip a week on Thursdays. Cost is $5.

http://www.bctransit.com/regions/clr/schedules/map.cfm?p=side.txt&line=10&

Jobohimself
Mar 26, 2008, 7:22 AM
North County Transit (San Diego County) runs a bus route from Escondido to Pauma Valley, roughly 28 miles away. The route is twice daily.

WanderingQueen
Mar 26, 2008, 12:56 PM
Kern Regional Transit (in South-Central California) provides regular bus service 8 times a day (Mon-Fri) and 3 times on Saturday between Bakersfield and Lancaster - 86.1 miles (138.6 km) according to Google Maps.

Here's a link: http://www.co.kern.ca.us/roads/pdf/East_Kern_Express.pdf

Nutterbug
Mar 26, 2008, 1:08 PM
I was thinking about Greater Vancouver (Translink), and I think the longest bus route has to be the 351 Vancouver to Crescent Beach, approximately 60km.

Does WCE Trainbus count?

theWatusi
Mar 26, 2008, 4:59 PM
Does WCE Trainbus count?

WTF is a trainbus? It's either a train or a bus right?

Nutterbug
Mar 26, 2008, 8:43 PM
WTF is a trainbus? It's either a train or a bus right?

A bus that runs along the same route and serves the same stops in place of a commuter train when the latter is not running.

theWatusi
Mar 26, 2008, 10:21 PM
does it drive on the RR ROW or on nearby roads?

miketoronto
Mar 26, 2008, 10:34 PM
It drives on a nearby road :) It is just a regular bus. But due to the route it covers(the train route) it is called a Train Bus. :)

Toronto has a large amount of train buses that mirror the commuter rail lines in non-peak hours.

Only exception is Montreal, where "train bus" means a bus route that is a shuttle to get you to the commuter train station. :)

theWatusi
Mar 26, 2008, 10:44 PM
that makes sense

kitchener-lrt
Mar 27, 2008, 12:20 AM
The longest route in Waterloo Region would probably be the route 12 Fairview Mall/Conestoga Mall. The whole trip from one end to the other is about 1hr 10 minutes.