PDA

View Full Version : University of Ottawa - Vanier Hall tower | 15 fl | Completed

Pages : [1] 2 3

waterloowarrior
Apr 16, 2008, 4:13 AM
http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/vanierhall_pic1.jpg
http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/vanierhall_pic2.jpg

U of O continues campus building spree
PAULINE TAM
Ottawa Citizen
Tuesday, April 15, 2008

OTTAWA-The University of Ottawa has unveiled plans to build a 15-storey tower, at a cost of $90 million, in the heart of its downtown campus.

It would be the centrepiece of a $150-million campus expansion. The building, which will provide an extra 236,000 square feet for classrooms and lecture halls, is expected to be home to several programs, including a language institute and the rapidly growing social sciences faculty.

The project is the latest addition to a five-year building plan first announced last year.

The tower will be located along the transitway near Nicholas Street, on the site of a building that houses a child-studies program that is to be demolished.

Although no design plans have yet been drawn up, the new building should be completed by the end of 2011, said Victor Simon, the university's vice-president of resources.

The university had initially planned several smaller renovations, but decided instead to consolidate those projects into one large building to respond to rapid growth, Mr. Simon said.

The university is so tight for space that some classes are held on weekends. An anticipated spike in enrolment, from 4,000 to 6,000 students, is expected to add to the space crunch.

The revised plan also calls for:
. a $10-million expansion by next year of the downtown building that houses the faculty of education;
. a $32-million expansion by 2010 of the medical school off Smyth Road;
. an $8-million renovation by 2010 of a new satellite campus off Smyth Road, formerly the headquarters of the Ottawa Life Sciences Council;
. a $5-million renovation by the end of the year of a second satellite campus on Lees Avenue, formerly occupied by Algonquin College;
. a $5-million redesign, beginning next year, in the first stage of a multi-phase expansion of the law school.

The projects are expected to be financed through government grants (up to $27 million), university reserve funds ($48 million) and bank loans (up to $75 million).

The university has already spent more than $300 million on a building spree over the past six years.

© Ottawa Citizen 2008
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=e0455536-0454-44df-9d3b-af0a5cdfab67&k=59096

from the University's website (http://www.media.uottawa.ca/mediaroom/news-details_1454.html)

Growing student population drives the University of Ottawa to continue on with its expansion

OTTAWA, April 15, 2008 — After careful examination of its Five Year Facilities Expansion and Renewal Plan tabled more than a year ago, the University of Ottawa is updating several renewal and expansion projects to enhance its teaching capacity and build upon the University’s ranking as one of Canada’s leading research universities.

In February 2007, President Gilles Patry announced an ambitious plan to expand and enhance the University of Ottawa campuses. The revised version of the Five Year Facilities Expansion and Renewal Plan — still valued at $150 million — was submitted for approval by the Board of Governors on March 31, 2008.

“These important enhancements to infrastructure will benefit students, faculty and staff,” stated Gilles Patry, uOttawa president and vice-chancellor.

The amended expansion projects include, most notably, the construction of a 15-storey academic tower adjacent to Vanier Hall, minor renovations to 200 Lees Avenue as well as enhancement projects at Lamoureux and Tabaret Halls.

Since the rapid growth of the Faculty of Social Sciences exceeds the demand for space projected in the 2007 renovation plan for Vanier Hall, the University has approved the design of a new academic tower. The tower, adjacent to Vanier Hall, will house three departments of the Faculty of Social Sciences, but also the Official Language and Bilingualism Institute (OLBI), the Faculty of Arts’ Department of Communications, as well as several uOttawa services such as the Computing and Communications Services, and the Teaching and Learning Support Service. Additional classrooms and conference rooms are also planned. Once renovated, the Vanier Hall will house the School of Psychology and the Animal Care and Veterinary Service.

Consisting of five buildings, 200 Lees Avenue will be used as a swing space to house academic programs displaced during construction over the next five years.

Lamoureux Hall will undergo renovations to adapt the space for the Faculty of Education’s urgent space needs.

Following the departure of the Faculty of Social Sciences, Tabaret Hall will undergo minor renovations to allow for the relocation of select administrative services and academic departments.

Renovations and enhancement projects, for which the budget has been moderately increased, are planned for Roger Guindon Hall on the University’s Alta Vista Campus

The revised plan meets the needs of a growing student population. The University of Ottawa now has 36,000 students, 2,300 faculty members and 3,000 administrative staff.

Backgrounder (http://www.media.uottawa.ca/mediaroom/documents/backgrounder_04142008-e.pdf) for the Revised Five-Year Facilities Renewal and Expansion Plan.
Map of campus (http://www.uottawa.ca/maps/)
Not sure exactly what to call it, so "Vanier Hall tower" will do for now :)

http://www.uottawa.ca/maps/assets/img/campus/maincampus.gif

the capital urbanite
Apr 16, 2008, 4:40 AM
....if the city can get its ass in gear with a downtown transit tunnel then there could be an opportunity for a nice underground station at campus connecting with the Somerset pedestrian bridge, "Vanier tower" and the Unicentre.

c_speed3108
Apr 16, 2008, 12:15 PM
This is a very major change from the last five year plan from about a year ago...

http://www.media.uottawa.ca/mediaroom/documents/backgrounder_04142008-e.pdf

The tower is a surprise. :banana: They had a proposed a building to replace 120 University but not a tower. When I first heard tower I thought they were going ahead with the North tower on Desmarais, but this is different.

Much of the Dept of Communications is presently in houses along the west side of King Edward between Laurier and Osgood. They have them moving to the new tower. This will begin to clear the deck for the redevelopment of the King Edward Area of campus.

The major change with this plan is that they are not really doing much with 200 Lees. They are now calling "swing space"

I suspect there are some departments such as Math and Visual Arts that will be rather POed with this new plan. Math has been on about a 30-year run of getting screwed out of better buildings. (they get to remain in their converted apartment building on King Edward - instead of moving to the Lamouroux). Visual Arts was also finally supposed to get better space.

A number of other things have been dumped from the 2007 five year plan. :(

Mille Sabords
Apr 16, 2008, 1:04 PM
Great news about the tower. I hope the University will someday consider growing more toward Rideau Street instead of toward the former Algonquin lands, which is a no-man's land.

One project I would like to see them do is a building on Laurier between Copernicus and King Edward, with the University bookstore at ground level along the sidewalk, along with a new campus bar (bring back the Nox!!!!) and class/residence space above - I'd go about 6-7 storeys.

c_speed3108
Apr 16, 2008, 1:18 PM
Great news about the tower. I hope the University will someday consider growing more toward Rideau Street instead of toward the former Algonquin lands, which is a no-man's land.

One project I would like to see them do is a building on Laurier between Copernicus and King Edward, with the University bookstore at ground level along the sidewalk, along with a new campus bar (bring back the Nox!!!!) and class/residence space above - I'd go about 6-7 storeys.

The university has been quietly acquiring properties in a Northward direction. They own a fair number on the other side of Stewart now. The further north they go the more difficult it becomes though. They has a cool idea for a gateway along Waller with the NSLRT through the middle of it. It like so many other plans have been shelved.

The university did a bunch on zoning work along Kind Edward. They got virtually everything they wanted from the city in terms of height increases. They did however have to agree to a few things to get the deal done with council. One was no parking lots on vacant land east of King Edward and the other was no bars. The student fed did open a new bar - which is much nicer than the Nox was - on the 200 level of the uni-centre called 1848.

Some of the lands around the King Edward, Copernicus, Laurier, Thomas Moore block are reserved for expansion of the Faculty of Law. I think they also have some sort of agreement to provide parking space for the fire fighters across the street.

Mille Sabords
Apr 16, 2008, 1:25 PM
The university has been quietly acquiring properties in a Northward direction. They own a fair number on the other side of Stewart now. The further north they go the more difficult it becomes though. They has a cool idea for a gateway along Waller with the NSLRT through the middle of it. It like so many other plans have been shelved.

The university did a bunch on zoning work along Kind Edward. They got virtually everything they wanted from the city in terms of height increases. They did however have to agree to a few things to get the deal done with council. One was no parking lots on vacant land east of King Edward and the other was no bars. The student fed did open a new bar - which is much nicer than the Nox was - on the 200 level of the uni-centre called 1848.

Some of the lands around the King Edward, Copernicus, Laurier, Thomas Moore block are reserved for expansion of the Faculty of Law. I think they also have some sort of agreement to provide parking space for the fire fighters across the street.

Thanks for that info. The new bar (1848) is way after I'd even be close to campus so I've never seen it. But it'd be great to have the student bar out on the street, with a patio, and create a critical mass with the Oak across the street. Notwithstanding Sandy Hillians' reservations about drunken hordes smashing their windows with bottles every night and mating like rabbits on their tidy flowerbeds, I think it'd be a rather positive evolution of Laurier Avenue into the Campus' mainstreet.

Nothing prevents the fire department from using underground parking spaces if they build a garage there.

AuxTown
Apr 16, 2008, 2:28 PM
I really hope they do a good job with this project. Not just the tower itself, but also the area surrounding it. The giant parking lot currently on the site is easily the most pedestrian-unfriendly area of campus and it really takes away from the whole campus atmosphere. Does anyone have any preliminary diagrams? They really should develop that entire area around the new tower into a bit of a student square with some trees, grass, maybe a stage area for the many events that go on during the year. They could keep a small amount of short-term parking, but I would like to see them move the majority of the parking underground or to the periphery of the campus (like the lot accross from the sports complex). In the end, this is great news for U of O!

c_speed3108
Apr 16, 2008, 3:42 PM
I really hope they do a good job with this project. Not just the tower itself, but also the area surrounding it. The giant parking lot currently on the site is easily the most pedestrian-unfriendly area of campus and it really takes away from the whole campus atmosphere. Does anyone have any preliminary diagrams? They really should develop that entire area around the new tower into a bit of a student square with some trees, grass, maybe a stage area for the many events that go on during the year. They could keep a small amount of short-term parking, but I would like to see them move the majority of the parking underground or to the periphery of the campus (like the lot accross from the sports complex). In the end, this is great news for U of O!

This picture appeared in the University's Architecture and Design Policy doc from a couple years back. It appeared to have the entire parking lot go away. I think they were going to call it Place D'Universite or something like that. They got rid of the portables this year.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2136/2419066158_75527de431_o.jpg

The Tower building is obviously going to be taller than the box drawn in that picture. I added the captions. The U of O has been trying to argue that it should not be required to provide as much parking as is usually required for new buildings since it has lots of public transit access. Not sure how well that argument is working at city hall.

Rathgrith
Apr 16, 2008, 7:14 PM

I thought about that too. McGill Univeristy's bookstore is like that. Some of those houses there are way passed their prime and could use demolition. There is similar architecture on that street to knock a few of those old Victorian houses. But I would like to see student hosing above to give the area a better feel.

c_speed3108
Aug 27, 2008, 9:40 PM
Walking across campus this afternoon and I noticed they have been and presently are doing some drilling around the Vanier parking lot and 120 university...

waterloowarrior
Dec 4, 2008, 11:18 PM
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__7I62NP

"There is a proposed demolition and addition to the Vanier Hall building at the University of Ottawa. No new parking spaces will be provided and 16 formalized spaces will be lost. This application requests cash in lieu of parking approval for 185 spaces under the terms of the mutual agreement between the City and the University in regards to parking supply management"

hmmm wonder if this is it?

c_speed3108
Dec 5, 2008, 2:43 PM

"There is a proposed demolition and addition to the Vanier Hall building at the University of Ottawa. No new parking spaces will be provided and 16 formalized spaces will be lost. This application requests cash in lieu of parking approval for 185 spaces under the terms of the mutual agreement between the City and the University in regards to parking supply management"

Sounds like the one. They were doing some sort of drilling/soil tests all around that building a couple months back. A construction ramp has been made in the back too.

highdensitysprawl
Dec 5, 2008, 4:24 PM

I hope that they don't get dinged like a client of mine did about a year ago for commercial spaces (in Vanier) where it was $5K per deficient space.

Beatrix
Dec 5, 2008, 9:47 PM
I have a really good feeling about this development. If it is in the same league as the Desmarais building, I'm totally sold. 15 floors should be pretty substantial in height also, since these types of buildings have taller floors than most commerical or residential developments.

The only sad news is that I'm going to graduate before it's completed. :(

waterloowarrior
Jan 19, 2009, 5:40 PM
site plan application (http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__6FY73Y)

Demolition of existing building (CSC - 120 University Private) and auditorium/construction of new 15 story academic building

The architects are Diamond + Schmitt and KWC Architects

http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/vanierhall_siteplan.jpg

Beatrix
Jan 19, 2009, 6:48 PM
So the new building is going to wrap around part of Vanier hall? Interesting. Hope I'm reading the picture right...

Kitchissippi
Jan 19, 2009, 8:49 PM
I didn't know that U of O had tunnels as well.

Rathgrith
Jan 19, 2009, 9:48 PM
^They are mainly for maintenance and heating. Not for public use.

c_speed3108
Jan 19, 2009, 9:54 PM
I didn't know that U of O had tunnels as well.

Most of the U of O's underground tunnels are only open to plant workers with the exception of the tunnels between Marion, MacDonald and Col. By.

Many are extremely narrow. There main role is to carry the steam pipes back to the power plant and various communication cabling.

This building will be a nice addition. It is amazing to see maps of the campus from even 15 years ago. Things have come a long way!!!! U of O is no longer the dump it was! It is nice urban campus now. The area around Vanier was really one of the last eyesores.

Deez
Jan 19, 2009, 11:48 PM
I was under the impression that the surface parking lot was going to be removed as a part of this building...shame that it will remain.

spotlight
Jan 20, 2009, 2:55 AM
I've seen the design pictures for the building and you guys will love it... the podium is very nice and will make a significant impact on campus.

the interior of the lobby also features a living wall atrium with tree, water and vines.

there is plenty and i mean plenty of glass on this building with very nice detailing. the side facing Nicholas/OC transpo is quite impressive.

as for the parking.. it is still in the plans to remove it to make way for a public space.. but that is a phase 2 plan that will likely happen after the construction is over.

waterloowarrior
Jan 20, 2009, 2:56 AM
^^ great info, I'm excited to see the renders!

AuxTown
Jan 20, 2009, 4:27 AM
Let's see it guys! Someone track these things down. It's always nice to see things going the right direction at your alma mater; it seems to add value to your degree(s).

Deez
Jan 20, 2009, 4:56 AM
as for the parking.. it is still in the plans to remove it to make way for a public space.. but that is a phase 2 plan that will likely happen after the construction is over.

*sigh of relief*

Can't wait to see the renders.

Rathgrith
Jan 20, 2009, 8:06 PM
^There's a graphic with an intention of turning the parking lot into a skating rink in the winter.

AuxTown
Jan 20, 2009, 11:11 PM
^There's a graphic with an intention of turning the parking lot into a skating rink in the winter.

That would be awesome! I know the canal is nearby, but this would be a great addition to the campus. Something to do around campus other than walk from class to class....and drinking (obviously).

Rathgrith
Jan 21, 2009, 12:52 AM
Great, now I have to look all over the interweb for a pic.

I cannot find it but I remember seeing it in a powerpoint pdf file. Its like this image that c_speed had but with a skating rink inside.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2136/2419066158_75527de431_o.jpg

eemy
Jan 21, 2009, 2:03 AM

Call me cynical, but if it was anything other than parking, that might have a chance of happening.

waterloowarrior
Jan 28, 2009, 4:52 AM
News Story
U of O preparing tenders for new $90M building (http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/355161853023197.php)
By Peter Kovessy, Ottawa Business Journal Staff
Mon, Jan 26, 2009 12:00 AM EST

Contract for social sciences structure to include $15M in renovation work

Construction of a new 15-storey tower on the University of Ottawa campus is expected to begin in July as the school moves ahead with the centrepiece project of its five-year capital improvement plan.

The new home of the faculty of social sciences will be approximately 275,500 square feet and is expected to cost roughly $90 million, including soft costs such as permit fees, says Claudio Brun del Re, the school's chief architect and acting director of physical resources services.

"It is really a great project for the university that is going to transform the centre of our campus," he says.

Mr. Brun del Re says he anticipates the lump-sum tender to be issued in May or June. The contract will also include roughly $15 million in renovations and space reconfiguration of the adjacent Vanier Building, bringing its mechanical systems and design up to current standards.

The Vanier Building will be connected to the new tower, to be located at 120 University Pvt. on the western edge of campus. The site is currently home to a 50,000-square-foot building constructed in the early 1970s that will be torn down, says Mr. Brun del Re.

Tenders to demolish the old child studies centre, designed for small children and no longer used for its original purpose, close later this week, according to a notice on the Ottawa Construction Association website.

The university is hoping the new tower will receive a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold rating, says Mr. Brun del Re, explaining it will feature green roofs as well as internal vertical 'biofilter walls' containing plants filtering the air and removing contaminants.

"You can smell the (difference in the) air as you walk through a forest – it's basically the same idea," he says.

"It's a really cool system."

A central pavilion, consisting of an atrium space, will occupy the centre of the ground floor and allow pedestrians to walk from the transit station to the north part of the campus, according to a summary of the site plan application filed with the city.

Public spaces, including classrooms, a student lounge, auditoriums and multi-purpose rooms will be located to the west of the atrium. The eastern portion will contain a student cafe and a lounge area.

The second floor will be filled with group study halls, lounge areas and computer laboratory areas. Offices will occupy the remaining floors.

Drawings of the proposed building have not yet been publicly released because they have yet to be approved by the university's board, says Mr. Brun del Re. [Next board meeting is march 30]

---

HIGHER LEARNING

New University of Ottawa faculty of social sciences building

Address: 120 University Pvt.

Height: 15 storeys

Square feet: 275,500

Costs:

$90 million (construction of tower, including soft costs such as permit fees)
$15 million (renovations and optimization of adjacent Vanier Building)
Consultant's team: Led by joint venture of Diamond + Schmitt Architects Inc. (Toronto) and KWC Architects Inc. (Ottawa).

Other players: Delcan Corp. prepared the site servicing and storm water management report, as well as the traffic and parking report; Kanata-based Golder Associates conducted a phase two environmental site assessment; Corush Sunderland Wright Ltd. is the landscape architect.

Environmental features: Aiming for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold rating. Plans include some green roofing and internal 'biofilter' vertical walls that have plants reducing air contaminants.

Timeline: Tender to be issued in May or June, with construction beginning in July. Building scheduled to open in late 2011 or early 2012.

http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/temporaryimages/bp26174.jpg
The University of Ottawa's former child studies centre at 120 University Pvt. (Etienne Ranger, OBJ)

Beatrix
Jan 28, 2009, 5:25 AM
Yay!

Too bad we'll most likely have to wait until April to see the render, though...

harls
Jan 28, 2009, 2:16 PM
Cool. Diamond and Schmitt do some good work.. check out their other academic projects.

http://www.dsai.ca/

eemy
Jan 28, 2009, 6:08 PM
Cool. Diamond and Schmitt do some good work.. check out their other academic projects.

http://www.dsai.ca/

They also designed the Capital Info-Centre.

AuxTown
Jan 28, 2009, 6:17 PM
They also designed the Capital Info-Centre.

I'll assume you are stating that as a negative because that is a horrid-looking structure that makes absolutely no attempt to integrate into what is otherwise a very heritage streetfront.

http://www.nccwatch.org/tombstones/ncccentersmall.jpg

What a disaster

http://www.nccwatch.org/tombstones/nccvisitorcenter.jpg

Ottawade
Jan 29, 2009, 1:35 AM
On tangent I heard pretty good reviews of that book of theirs.

c_speed3108
Apr 9, 2009, 2:28 PM
I noticed going by on the transitway this morning that there was yellow tape and fences going up...The old child studies centre looks pretty empty in the windows.

Is this starting?

I also see lots of activity around 200 Lees which was supposed to function as the swing space so this project could get done.

Beatrix
Apr 11, 2009, 5:07 AM
I walked by it today and they had a huge machine that was drilling into the ground. Must be getting close!

I heard a few months back that we should be expecting a render in April, as well.

osirisboy
Apr 13, 2009, 1:40 PM
It is almost sad to see 120 university get torn down, so many memories there but this new building will be amazing and greatly needed. Also, I'm glad to hear those portables in the parking lot are finally gone. I remember having tutorials in there and the air quality was horrible I could almost feel the mold in the air.

So apparently the board met on March 30th so does anyone know if they approved the design and will release some renderings now?

c_speed3108
Apr 13, 2009, 1:48 PM
It is almost sad to see 120 university get torn down, so many memories there but this new building will be amazing and greatly needed. Also, I'm glad to hear those portables in the parking lot are finally gone. I remember having tutorials in there and the air quality was horrible I could almost feel the mold in the air.

So apparently the board met on March 30th so does anyone know if they approved the design and will release some renderings now?

Memories in 120 university!?! I thought that building mostly administrative filled with various services that most people don't even know exist. :-)

osirisboy
Apr 13, 2009, 2:21 PM
TA's used it a lot for their offices and during my 4th year I was there often.

also, I was there way back in the 80s when i was a little kid. I went to some kind of after school program there. Actually, that was both the first building and last building I was ever in on campus, weird.

c_speed3108
Apr 13, 2009, 3:28 PM
TA's used it a lot for their offices and during my 4th year I was there often.

also, I was there way back in the 80s when i was a little kid. I went to some kind of after school program there. Actually, that was both the first building and last building I was ever in on campus, weird.

Ah I see. I think lately it had fallen into obscurity. Occasion someone would come up to me and ask where 120 University was and I have to think for a minute of which building he/she was referring to. It is a really weird looking building too. It also never warranted a name, though that seems to be becoming rather common around the U of O. "New Residence" was one of the most famous such examples.

osirisboy
Apr 13, 2009, 8:13 PM
yea it sure is a weird looking building easily the ugliest or at least tied with macdonald. Yea the "new residence" name always annoyed me especially after the newer rez was built on laurier. You would think the university would try and get a company or wealthy person to pay to have it named after them.

c_speed3108
Apr 15, 2009, 3:51 PM
yea it sure is a weird looking building easily the ugliest or at least tied with macdonald. Yea the "new residence" name always annoyed me especially after the newer rez was built on laurier. You would think the university would try and get a company or wealthy person to pay to have it named after them.

I don't actually mind MacDonald. It is no architectural masterpiece but I would not call it ugly. It just represents an area in physics research where particle accelerators were all the rage. There were two types: the linear type and the spiral type. It is easy to see that U of O had the linear kind. Queens, where the physics building is round, had the spiral kind. I would not say MacDonald is ugly - just sorta a generic secondary building on campus.

As for the company is weathy person - this is exactly the problem. They are pretty much holding out for this and it is not really happening. I think after waiting a couple of years it is time to find a former rector/president or dean to name these things after and move on.

======================

They seemed to have removed the retaining wall behind 120 Uni.

c_speed3108
Apr 27, 2009, 4:21 PM
The demolition of the existing building has commenced and is in it's early stages.

waterloowarrior
Apr 27, 2009, 4:25 PM
cash in lieu of parking application was approved on friday

waterloowarrior
May 8, 2009, 10:33 PM
from today
http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/u_ottawa_demo.jpg

*("Professional Driver on a Closed Course")

cityguy
May 9, 2009, 12:32 AM
Still no rendering?

Mille Sabords
May 9, 2009, 1:20 AM
from today
http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/u_ottawa_demo.jpg

*("Professional Driver on a Closed Course")

That's a pretty daring stunt there, warrior. It looks as though you're the driver. Anyone else looking at this thread, don't try this at home. :D

Beatrix
May 10, 2009, 4:13 AM
Still no rendering?

You would think if they had a beautiful project that they would want to show it off.

c_speed3108
May 12, 2009, 7:04 PM
Some ideas of time lines: (article from January 29th)

Campus developments

Lara Wellman

The next step in the University's five-year facilities and renewal plan is now under way. Staff and faculty are in the process of vacating both Vanier Hall and 120 University Avenue while preparatory work begins for the demolition of 120 University and the renovation of Vanier Hall.

Constructed in 1970 to house a Child Study Centre run by the Ministry of Social Services, 120 University has housed staff of the School of Psychology, and is home to the Teaching and Learning Support Service. The building and its surroundings were not initially designed for academic use, and as a result will be demolished. Vanier Hall was built in 1954 and still has significant value to the University, so it will undergo major renovations.

By renovating Vanier Hall and constructing a new building in 120 University's place, the University will continue its drive towards optimizing the use of existing facilities and achieving the highest and best use of all development sites.

"This is the first phase of redevelopment in this area of campus," says Claudio del Brun Re, chief architect and acting director of physical resources. "Our plans for the renewal of the campus take a long-term view; plan today for what will happen in 20 years."

The new building promises to be another great architectural achievement for uOttawa. The first two floors will boast numerous study areas, couches, wireless Internet access as well as a café and a 225-seat auditorium-style classroom. The atrium, with its five-storey living Bio-filter wall, will be a visually appealing, architecturally organized and eco-friendly space. The remaining 13 stories will consist primarily of office and academic spaces.

The building will have entries from the transitway, the Grande Allee pedestrian pathway and through Vanier Hall. By linking to Vanier Hall, which sits a half floor above ground level, it will also render that building more accessible to all.

Over the next few months observers will see 120 University coming down. The plan to begin construction of the new building is slated for July 2009 and is estimated to take about two years. Vanier will be renovated in tandem and should be repopulated in late 2010, one year before the new building is completed.

c_speed3108
May 12, 2009, 7:11 PM
Slide 13 of this presentation also gives lots of clues what they are thinking

http://www.uottawa.ca/services/immeub/Presentations/Presentation_MBouchar_Juin_2008.pps

waterloowarrior
May 21, 2009, 12:46 AM
like Mille said, don't try this at home :D

http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/DSC03171.JPG

c_speed3108
May 22, 2009, 12:07 AM
I see in your picture that the Vanier Auditorium is coming down too..only one on campus with a balcony

waterloowarrior
May 25, 2009, 6:11 PM
federal/provincial funding
http://www.media.uottawa.ca/mediaroom/news-details_1686.html

renders
http://www.media.uottawa.ca/mediaroom/documents/social-sciences-buildings.pdf

Zach6668
May 25, 2009, 7:31 PM
I like it.

That stretch could use a bit more colour, maybe, though.

waterloowarrior
May 25, 2009, 9:31 PM

spotlight
May 25, 2009, 9:35 PM
I've seen the design pictures for the building and you guys will love it... the podium is very nice and will make a significant impact on campus.

the interior of the lobby also features a living wall atrium with tree, water and vines.

there is plenty and i mean plenty of glass on this building with very nice detailing. the side facing Nicholas/OC transpo is quite impressive.

just to say that i had called this one way back when :)

ajldub
May 26, 2009, 12:49 AM
oh yeah oh f*** yeah Ottawa I love it when you do this to me you foxy blonde... why is this city so damn perfect in every single humanly possible way??

Mille Sabords
May 26, 2009, 1:53 AM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/anim_erection.gif

And to think it'll be just off the subway station.

waterloowarrior
May 26, 2009, 2:30 AM
here's the news release from the link above

University of Ottawa receives $80 million in capital funding from Federal and Provincial Governments

OTTAWA, May 25, 2009 — The University of Ottawa is to receive an $80 million boost in infrastructure funding from the Governments of Canada and Ontario.

These investments will fund the construction of the Vanier Tower, a $112.5 million, 15 storey, state-of-the-art, eco-friendly building, as well as the renovation of the existing Vanier building. The Vanier Tower will provide 22,000 square metres of much-needed learning and research space, and will be the new home of the Faculty of Social Sciences including research space in priority areas such as neuroscience and experimental psychology, economics, public policy and management.

Of the total investment of $80 million, the Government of Canada will contribute $30 million under the Knowledge Infrastructure Program and the Province of Ontario will contribute $50 million in matching funds. The University of Ottawa will provide the remaining $32.5 million. The combined government contributions are the single largest infrastructure investment in the history of the University of Ottawa. They will not only strengthen the University’s infrastructure but also stimulate much-needed economic activity in the region by creating 1100 jobs in the construction and manufacturing sectors during the next two years.

"On behalf of the entire University community, I thank both governments sincerely for this important investment. It will make a world of difference in our ability to build the infrastructure our students and faculty need”, said Allan Rock, President of the University of Ottawa. “This investment is a major contribution towards our efforts to create a world class research and learning environment for both students and faculty."

"Our government, led by Prime Minister Stephen Harper, is making important infrastructure investments across Canada," said John Baird, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities. "During this global recession, we're doing our part to help create jobs, stimulate the economy and prepare Canada for long-term prosperity.

"Our government's investment in infrastructure projects with the post-secondary institutions of Ottawa will create hundreds of jobs and help boost our local economy," said the Honourable Madeleine Meilleur, MPP for Ottawa-Vanier. "This investment will also help to build the strong reputations of our colleges and universities as well as attract new students, including Francophones, from across Canada and around the world."

In recent years, the University of Ottawa has experienced rapid growth, with the student body increasing from 26,000 in 2002 to 36,000 in 2009. At the same time, the University has become one of the most research-intensive in Canada, ranking now as 7th out of the 50 research universities in the country. The funding announced today will help meet the ever-increasing demand for learning and research space, and honour the commitments set out in the University of Ottawa Five-Year Facilities Renewal and Expansion Plan.

Construction on the project is scheduled to begin in July 2009 and should be completed by April 2011. The building is projected to be at least 50% more energy efficient than the current national standard for energy efficiency and is designed to achieve a “GOLD” certification in the LEED program.

AuxTown
May 26, 2009, 3:02 AM
Wow, way to go Ottawa U! I give Allan Rock credit for anything progressive going on at U of O these days; a great addition to my university IMO.

Rathgrith
May 26, 2009, 3:27 AM

Is it just me or do I think this is fugly? I really think the the university should construct a building that tries to connect with the canal. The university, and to a lesser extent Sandy Hill, should connect to the canal with a short building that provides more visual. Its bad enough there is a 8 lanes of roads. A wall of 16 story buildings does not help either. This new building does not do justice creating a entrance to the canal. (Maybe whenever LRT is built and the transitway is replaced with green space it will be better.)

The building looks too tall and narrow. Its just feels seems awkward, imo. Its a modernist building in the sea of red brick residences and the quasi art deco structure that is Vanier Hall. The over use of glass make its look like just like ever other skyscraper in downtown Ottawa. Except in this case, its has a acute angle. Oh, Fancy! (please note the sarcasm) I know the university wants to maximize natural light in buildings, but there is only so much glass a building can use because it looks like broken glass.

Bottom line, I think its too tall and awkward. It should be 6-8 floors at the most. It should compliment Vanier Hall, not overshadow it.

Sorry for the negative post, its probably because I am grumpy as the building they are knocking down was a favorite of mine. It had that 1970's modernist psychology professor's office feel to it. I miss it.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/anim_erection.gif

Umm. wtf? lol. That better be your reaction to the potential for a underground passageway to the proposed LRT station.

spotlight
May 26, 2009, 3:42 AM
Wow, way to go Ottawa U! I give Allan Rock credit for anything progressive going on at U of O these days; a great addition to my university IMO.

Actually Gilles Patry's era planned this one.. the designs were complete before Rock was even selected.. Rock basically shook the hands of the MP's etc.. for the funding.. i look forward to Rock's first project as president.. not sure what or when it will be but i look forward to it

spotlight
May 26, 2009, 3:44 AM
Is it just me or do I think this is fugly? I really think the the university should construct a building that tries to connect with the canal. The university, and to a lesser extent Sandy Hill, should connect to the canal with a short building that provides more visual. Its bad enough there is a 8 lanes of roads. A wall of 16 story buildings does not help either. This new building does not do justice creating a entrance to the canal. (Maybe whenever LRT is built and the transitway is replaced with green space it will be better.)

The building looks too tall and narrow. Its just feels seems awkward, imo. Its a modernist building in the sea of red brick residences and the quasi art deco structure that is Vanier Hall. The over use of glass make its look like just like ever other skyscraper in downtown Ottawa. Except in this case, its has a acute angle. Oh, Fancy! (please note the sarcasm) I know the university wants to maximize natural light in buildings, but there is only so much glass a building can use because it looks like broken glass.

Bottom line, I think its too tall and awkward. It should be 6-8 floors at the most. It should compliment Vanier Hall, not overshadow it.

Sorry for the negative post, its probably because I am grumpy as the building they are knocking down was a favorite of mine. It had that 1970's modernist psychology professor's office feel to it. I miss it.

Umm. wtf? lol. That better be your reaction to the potential for a underground passageway to the proposed LRT station.

I feel sorry for the person you seem to be.. so short sighted and closed minded.. just to summarize what your ideal building would be:

a short stubby building with little to no glass apparently

remind me never to visit your world !

AuxTown
May 26, 2009, 3:47 AM
I agree Rath, for shame. lol

waterloowarrior
May 26, 2009, 4:12 AM
I really like the building's design but I'm not sure about the colour scheme. Something about the white doesn't seem quite right. Maybe it's just the lighting in the render. The partly enclosed space near the door on the Nicolas side is nice, created by the part of the building that juts out. You aren't stepping out right into busy traffic, there's a bit of transition.

By the way, thanks for the insider post a while back, spotlight ;)

bikegypsy
May 26, 2009, 5:03 AM
I am drueling.

Jamaican-Phoenix
May 26, 2009, 6:24 AM
Awesome.

drawarc
May 26, 2009, 7:26 AM
The tower and main entrance is real nice. The colour of the Nicholas street side looks a little bland though in the rendering.

c_speed3108
May 26, 2009, 11:59 AM
Awesome...I could not believe what I saw in the paper this morning!!!!

This kicks ass!

I love the way almost every building on the U of O's campus makes its own statement. They have been doing this for decades. Even in low budget times they came up with things like Montpetit hall with it's angled windows which still turns the heads of every parade of high schools on their come to the U of O campus tour.

c_speed3108
May 26, 2009, 12:02 PM
Also just noticed they got rid of the ugly receiving area from the front of Vanier Hall...at least in the renderings anyway.

The U of O's release:

University of Ottawa receives $80 million in capital funding from Federal and Provincial Governments

OTTAWA, May 25, 2009 — The University of Ottawa is to receive an $80 million boost in infrastructure funding from the Governments of Canada and Ontario.

These investments will fund the construction of the Vanier Tower, a $112.5 million, 15 storey, state-of-the-art, eco-friendly building, as well as the renovation of the existing Vanier building. The Vanier Tower will provide 22,000 square metres of much-needed learning and research space, and will be the new home of the Faculty of Social Sciences including research space in priority areas such as neuroscience and experimental psychology, economics, public policy and management.

Of the total investment of $80 million, the Government of Canada will contribute $30 million under the Knowledge Infrastructure Program and the Province of Ontario will contribute $50 million in matching funds. The University of Ottawa will provide the remaining $32.5 million. The combined government contributions are the single largest infrastructure investment in the history of the University of Ottawa. They will not only strengthen the University’s infrastructure but also stimulate much-needed economic activity in the region by creating 1100 jobs in the construction and manufacturing sectors during the next two years.

"On behalf of the entire University community, I thank both governments sincerely for this important investment. It will make a world of difference in our ability to build the infrastructure our students and faculty need”, said Allan Rock, President of the University of Ottawa. “This investment is a major contribution towards our efforts to create a world class research and learning environment for both students and faculty."

"Our government, led by Prime Minister Stephen Harper, is making important infrastructure investments across Canada," said John Baird, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities. "During this global recession, we're doing our part to help create jobs, stimulate the economy and prepare Canada for long-term prosperity.

"Our government's investment in infrastructure projects with the post-secondary institutions of Ottawa will create hundreds of jobs and help boost our local economy," said the Honourable Madeleine Meilleur, MPP for Ottawa-Vanier. "This investment will also help to build the strong reputations of our colleges and universities as well as attract new students, including Francophones, from across Canada and around the world."

In recent years, the University of Ottawa has experienced rapid growth, with the student body increasing from 26,000 in 2002 to 36,000 in 2009. At the same time, the University has become one of the most research-intensive in Canada, ranking now as 7th out of the 50 research universities in the country. The funding announced today will help meet the ever-increasing demand for learning and research space, and honour the commitments set out in the University of Ottawa Five-Year Facilities Renewal and Expansion Plan.

Construction on the project is scheduled to begin in July 2009 and should be completed by April 2011. The building is projected to be at least 50% more energy efficient than the current national standard for energy efficiency and is designed to achieve a “GOLD” certification in the LEED program.

Mille Sabords
May 26, 2009, 12:47 PM
The university, and to a lesser extent Sandy Hill, should connect to the canal with a short building that provides more visual. Its bad enough there is a 8 lanes of roads. A wall of 16 story buildings does not help either. This new building does not do justice creating a entrance to the canal. (Maybe whenever LRT is built and the transitway is replaced with green space it will be better.)

Hey Rath, I hope you're in a better mood today. I agree that there has to be a better connection between the Canal and the University. But this is too far from the canal for the connection to mean anything. There's 100 metres between the Transitway frontage of the new building and the Canal's pathway! IMO, the real connection will happen once the subway is built and the Transitway is gone. Even at that point, we'll have to tame the Nicholas Expressway. We'll have to revert to a normal streets-and-blocks condition way further south, closer to the Queensway ramps, and reopen some cross streets to take people all the way to the canal on an actual sidewalk. And then, we'll have to allow for actual buildings with frontage along a widened canal walkway.

The building looks too tall and narrow. Its just feels seems awkward, imo. Its a modernist building in the sea of red brick residences and the quasi art deco structure that is Vanier Hall. The over use of glass make its look like just like ever other skyscraper in downtown Ottawa. Except in this case, its has a acute angle. Oh, Fancy! (please note the sarcasm)

There is no sea of red brick houses there any more. There's a sea of concrete brutalist monsters from the 1970's and this building has the curves and sensuousness to give us something to caress with the eyes. I like its height, it's actually shorter than the two residences just north but more than anything, the building has verticality designed into it, so it looks to soar taller than its 15 storeys. Again, amidst the sea of squat boxes that surround it, this will be a beacon. Plus, the rounded corner greeting people coming into downtown is brilliant. Our own little flatiron building.

No, that's my reaction to the whole thing including the subway connection. Hey, I understand you feel the blues if you like the building they're knocking down. That psycology professor must've really given you some awesome education in that building. :) The happy memory will live on as they always do. The city will look better at the end of the day.

Richard Eade
May 26, 2009, 1:46 PM
:offtopic: I know it is off topic a bit, but doesn't UofO now own the entire east side of King Edward beside the campus? Any ideas on what will happen there? It should be shorter stuff to blend with the neighbourhood east of it.

c_speed3108
May 26, 2009, 1:52 PM
:offtopic: I know it is off topic a bit, but doesn't UofO now own the entire east side of King Edward beside the campus? Any ideas on what will happen there? It should be shorter stuff to blend with the neighbourhood east of it.

They own 80-something percent of the land over there.

There are a few proposals for over there over the longer term. I know enlarging what is currently the math building was one. The concept was generally slightly taller buildings at the street corners and shorter ones in mid block. Think 4-6 story building for the most part. Perhaps a bit taller at Templeton since that intersection sits really low.

The next big project after the Vanier tower is the expansion of the faculty of law - fautueax hall.

They also need to sort out what to do with 200 Lees which is currently being used by assorted persons displaced by the Vanier hall worlk.

Rathgrith
May 26, 2009, 2:51 PM
I feel sorry for the person you seem to be.. so short sighted and closed minded.. just to summarize what your ideal building would be:

a short stubby building with little to no glass apparently

remind me never to visit your world !

You're the architect and/or the university planner arn't you?

Don't take it personally, I just have a connection with 120 University. That's what architecture does; whenever its classic Gothic at Parliament Hill or a concrete monster from 1970's brutalization. Maybe something happened there that helped me develop a emotion connection with structure. Isn't that the goal of architecture: to develop a bond between the user and the edifice?

This is a forum after all and we are all given a chance to have our opinions, so for you to state that I am a short sighted close-minded person based on reading one post is rather superfluous.

P.S. I don't think you exactly read my comment on glass. I want just enough glass not too much. Think of the sand at the beaches!

Mille Sabords
May 26, 2009, 2:57 PM
This is a forum after all and we are all given a chance to have our opinions, so for you to state that I am a short sighted close-minded person based on reading one post is rather superfluous.

And I will defend to the death your right to voice your opinions.

AuxTown
May 28, 2009, 3:38 AM
The old building is like 90% demolished already. It's amazing how quickly you can tear something down when you're not trying to salvage the parts in some kind of pseudo-environmentalist project like the Congress Centre (sssslllllooooowwww demolition).

waterloowarrior
Jun 17, 2009, 4:36 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3643/3634082617_6b41701ab6_b.jpg

Rathgrith
Jun 17, 2009, 3:28 PM
The old building is like 90% demolished already. It's amazing how quickly you can tear something down when you're not trying to salvage the parts in some kind of pseudo-environmentalist project like the Congress Centre (sssslllllooooowwww demolition).

The ironic thing is that the next building is supposedly LEED gold rated.

blackjagger
Jun 17, 2009, 10:36 PM
The ironic thing is that the next building is supposedly LEED gold rated.

LEED usually doesn't have much impact on the demolition phase. More the planning stages and turn-over. Good to see lots of progress though I really like what this will do to that corridor.

Deez
Jun 17, 2009, 11:10 PM

That is a super-duper cantilever...I guess that explains the truss.

Rathgrith
Jun 17, 2009, 11:36 PM
LEED usually doesn't have much impact on the demolition phase. More the planning stages and turn-over. Good to see lots of progress though I really like what this will do to that corridor.

Obviously, but it would look good to continue the "environmental" theme through the WHOLE construction process.

Ldotbyron
Jun 30, 2009, 2:02 AM
It eats away at my heart that this building is slated to be completed the year AFTER I graduate :(

Deez
Jul 13, 2009, 3:27 AM
prepping for excavation (by me)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/IMG_1787.jpg

waterloowarrior
Jul 13, 2009, 4:43 AM
Thanks for the update! (and all the other updates as well)

Rathgrith
Jul 13, 2009, 7:41 PM
prepping for excavation (by me)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/IMG_1787.jpg

I`m guessing you climbed up the wall for that pic?

Richard Eade
Jul 13, 2009, 8:45 PM
I`m guessing you climbed up the wall for that pic?
I bet he ordered a pair of those X-Ray glasses from the back of an Archie Comic and took the picture through those.

Deez
Jul 13, 2009, 11:51 PM
You're both wrong. The construction gate was wide open :D

waterloowarrior
Aug 24, 2009, 3:37 PM
Aecon submits $78.9M bid for new U of O tower
<http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/326295370541800.php>
By  Peter Kovessy <mailto:peter.kovessy@transcontinental.ca>, Ottawa Business Journal Staff
Mon, Aug 24, 2009 1:00 AM EST

Demolition and site prep work to be completed by end of month

The country's largest publicly traded construction company has submitted the lowest bid to construct a new 275,500-square-foot building for the University of Ottawa, officials say.

Aecon's $78.9-million submission was $1 million less than the next lowest bidder, Pomerleau.

The university must still confirm the official bids this week.

The new 15-storey social sciences tower is the centrepiece of the university's five-year capital improvement plan and was designed by a joint venture led by Ottawa-based KWC Architects Inc. and Diamond + Schmitt Architects Inc. in Toronto.

The new building will be used by the university's faculty of social sciences and feature classrooms, a student lounge, auditoriums, a student cafe and offices.

A central pavilion, consisting of an atrium space, will fill the centre of the ground floor and allow pedestrians to walk from the transit station to the north part of campus, according to documents filed with the city.

The campus property, located at 120 University Pvt. and visible from the Transitway and Nicholas Street, is the former site of the university's child studies centre. Earlier this year, TOFCON Construction Inc. received a $1,836,111 contract to demolish the 50,000-square-foot building and prepare the site for the next phase.

"Part of our contract was doing some excavation and doing shoring, as well as new electrical distribution," says TOFCON president John O'Farrell. He adds work started in February and that the company will wrap up its part of the project at the end of this month.

TOFCON has received several contracts from the University of Ottawa over the past year, including approximately $3.4 million in renovations and additions to Lamoureaux Hall, roughly $3.4 million for the second and third phases of renovations to 200 Lees Ave. and a $752,000 renovation job of Morisset Library.

Aecon, meanwhile, reported earlier this month its second-quarter net income fell to $9.9 million, or 18 cents per share, from $15.6 million a year earlier. In the three months ending June 30, the construction and infrastructure company brought in a record $613 million in revenues, up from $438 million.

---

UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA SOCIAL SCIENCE TOWER BID RESULTS

Aecon   $78,900,000    
Pomerleau       $79,900,000    
EllisDon        $81,788,000    
PCL     $82,500,000    
Vanbots $84,995,000

YOWflier
Sep 4, 2009, 2:29 PM
http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/295342236007214.php

Aecon wins $79M U of O construction contract
By Peter Kovessy, Ottawa Business Journal Staff
Fri, Sep 4, 2009 9:00 AM EST

Work on a new 278,000-square-foot academic tower is expected to begin immediately after the University of Ottawa officially awarded the contract to the Aecon Group.

OBJ previously reported Aecon, the country's largest publicly traded construction company, submitted the lowest bid for the project, beating the next lowest bidder, Pomerleau, by $1 million.

University officials have previously and consistently said the new building will be 15 storeys, but Aecon said it will be "16 storeys tall with two additional levels below ground." Officials could not be immediately reached to clarify the discrepancy.

In a statement published late Thursday, Aecon Buildings president Frank Ross highlighted the LEED-Gold environmental standard to which the tower will be built, adding it is the company's 17th contract in the last five years for LEED-standard construction or renovation work.

"The project demonstrates Aecon's growing presence in the burgeoning LEED construction market," he said.

The University of Ottawa contract also includes renovating administrative space in Vanier Hall. All the work is scheduled to be completed by September 2011.

waterloowarrior
Jan 10, 2010, 9:25 PM
found this picture on UofO's website (http://www.residence.uottawa.ca/en/construction-e.html) from 11 Dec 09... last time I went by around Christmas it was dark, not sure how much has happened since then

http://www.residence.uottawa.ca/images/Const_Site_2009-12-11005b_000.jpg

c_speed3108
Jan 11, 2010, 4:01 PM
Typically the U of O stops construction (or at a minimum noisy work) located next to residence buildings during exam periods. This would likely explain why very little occurred in December.

c_speed3108
Jan 11, 2010, 6:56 PM
BTW this thread should be U/C

waterloowarrior
Mar 9, 2010, 11:29 PM
anyone walk by recently? What's happening on site?

c_speed3108
Mar 10, 2010, 2:15 PM
I am not sure if they are done piles yet.

Vanier also appears to have been gutted now (except for certain areas that won't/can't be)

Davis137
Mar 11, 2010, 1:21 PM
Is it still just a big pit in the ground?

c_speed3108
Mar 16, 2010, 6:26 PM
I went by on the bus today. There is still a pile driver visible above the fence. Hopefully they get that stage down before exams as they will have to stop work at that point.

c_speed3108
Apr 11, 2010, 2:15 PM
A tower crane rises:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4510406925_c66deb1967_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2721/4510404753_5a50c818b1_b.jpg

Vanier appears to be completely gutted and ready for reno now.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4511046210_a17b427603_b.jpg

(pics by me)

waterloowarrior
Apr 12, 2010, 9:16 PM
great update c_speed... looking forward to seeing this one rise

AuxTown
Apr 12, 2010, 11:18 PM
This will be a great addition to the U of O campus. It's not just the building going up but what I hope will be some great landscaping and removal of some surface parking that surround this part of campus (moving the spots underground). Once this project is complete all they need to do is expand the residences into that other hideous surface lot along the Transitway (not sure if that's in the plans though). That would make the walk through campus a much more intimate, pleasant, and contiguous experience.

jcollins
Apr 13, 2010, 12:04 AM
Is there any sort of integration with this building and a transit station? Or would that not make sense with a tunnel on it's way?