PDA

View Full Version : [Surrey] Holland Park | 49m, 65m, 117m, 135m | 11, 19, 36, 42fls | U/C

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

GMasterAres
Apr 24, 2008, 8:02 PM
Not sure if anyone else has more information on this proposed development. The working title I've seen is Holland Pointe and it is to be located at NW Corner King George Highway and 98A Avenue. Application number 7908-0093-00.

As of March 25th it is in the Poject Review stage and the only description I have states 3 x high-rise residential apartment towers containing approximately 1,100 units.

I'm currently creating a 3D representation of Surrey City Center with the currently built towers, under construction towers, and proposed towers and in my searches around the net found a model for this apparent project.

THESE ARE NOT FINAL and may not represent the proposed project but this is the look they have apparently:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2188/2438726969_658c796630.jpg

The green in the front is Holland Park (Surrey) and the road behind is King George Highway. For frame of reference Infinity would be just to the left across the street.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2304/2439551414_01437f126d.jpg

View towards Central City. Infinity Tower 1 on the right side with KGH Skytrain station in view.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2037/2438726947_c7a66ac5fa_o.jpg

View towards Infinity and Sky Tower projects. Holland Pointe proposal in front, Infinity phases behind (including the last proposed Towers 4 and 5 which are probably going to change slightly), and further behind Sky Towers.

So yes if anyone happens to have some more information I'd love to hear about it. Proposed height of the towers (the main one looks to be about 125m tall), floors, etc? Are the designs I have above what has been submitted to the city for review?

officedweller
Apr 24, 2008, 8:12 PM
Thanks for posting!

mr.x
Apr 24, 2008, 8:20 PM
awesome! thanks.

paradigm4
Apr 24, 2008, 8:55 PM
Wowsa! This is hella cool! Where do you get all your info from jhausner?

GMasterAres
Apr 24, 2008, 9:00 PM
The vast Interweb. Surrey actually posts a lot of information on their web site if you dig far enough. Also most public information regarding any of the cities in the region are posted on ihost web sites so http://surrey.ihostez.com. New developments you'll typically find under the Planning Reports. Unfortunately they don't post anything there typically until it has gone to council so things that are on the desk of a planner in CP&D are difficult to find.

Comes down to luck with some things. I've known about the proposal for a while now but don't like posting anything until it's somewhat public and when it showed up on the updated April 15th City Center construction list, I figured it was more than just a rumour.

Like I said in my first post, I'm also in the process of building basically a 3D Surrey representation with the high-rises that are done, under construction, and proposed. It's actually neat right now when I pop the current build up and 'fly' around to see different views how the downtown Surrey core will look in about 5-10 years if that.

If everything I know of is done in 5 or so years (conceivable), Surrey will look much like Burnaby's skyline is today. Add to that the 10-15 additional high-rises that Surrey has said are on their planners' desks but haven't been mentioned in the public, and the future looks good.

I'll post my 3D model in a different thread at some point when I'm happy with the version. It's still a bit rough and inaccurate in spots. I'd love to get some other people doing similar for the other cities in the region. Burnaby, New West, Richmond, Coquitlam, etc.

paradigm4
Apr 24, 2008, 10:53 PM
What program are you using to build the 3D model? SketchUp and Google Earth?

GMasterAres
Apr 24, 2008, 11:05 PM
Pretty much. Sketchup Pro and Google Earth Pro to display. It's a pain to create things complex in GE so I stick to Sketchup since it is quick and interfaces right into GE to drop the models down correctly.

You can use the free version of Sketchup and GE to build the stuff too. No real difference for making basic building models that I've seen. The pro versions really only give you the option of using the work in presentations or proposal format for business use.

Lead
Apr 25, 2008, 3:03 AM

WOW

I can't wait to see your 3D model of the central city area. I remember awhile ago someone did a similar SketchUp model of the same area but this was before the Gateway Office park and these Holland Pointe towers. GJ :tup:

giallo
Apr 25, 2008, 3:24 AM
Nice work.

I like the look of these three towers.

Volksboi
Apr 25, 2008, 6:32 AM
Wow, this is incredible. Great work here, keep it up!

SpongeG
Apr 25, 2008, 6:37 AM
nice

that lot/area has been crying for something for years now

excel
Apr 25, 2008, 6:45 AM
sweet.

cornholio
Apr 25, 2008, 7:56 AM
So I guess the towers are in the red square.
Also it would be nice if Surrey could buy up the lots in the green square and extend holland park because that park is going to become more and more important as the population grows in the area. Infact I think it would be better if they atleast sold of the area north of this proposal(under the guideway) and let that piece be developed to buffer the park from King george highway and in return buy up the properties south of it to keep the park the same size or biger. The park pictured is the conceptual plan.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/alesmarv/surreycenter.jpg?t=1209110001
Here is a link to the central city plan if anyone is interested, it has maps of all the zoning, future roads, transit etc.
http://www.surrey.ca/Doing+Business/Land+Development+and+Building/Plans+and+Policies/Plans+in+Progress/Surrey+Central+Transit+Village.htm

vanman
Apr 25, 2008, 2:25 PM

That is awesome! And to think the majority of these buildings are already sold out (and I'm sure holland pointe will pre-sell in days).

GMasterAres
Apr 25, 2008, 3:27 PM
In response to cornholio, yes the red square you put is the property this is supposed to sit on. For the park, Holland Park isn't really a propsal anymore as it is near complete. I don't think they'll be selling off the part under the skytrain causway but I do agree on the green are in your map needing redevelopment.

It falls within the city center plan area.

We shall see what happens I guess. :-)

raggedy13
Apr 25, 2008, 3:47 PM
Looks like a nice addition to 'downtown' Surrey. Thanks for the renderings. Can't wait to see your whole Central City render. Seems Surrey is about to explode with construction. If it can almost catch up to Metrotown in ~5 years, it should be pretty impressive in 20.

starrdarcy
Apr 29, 2008, 11:50 PM
Very nice, indeed, all of these future hihrises if all approved will dramitically enhance the skyline of Surrey.

BTW, has anyone noticed that the google earth satilate shots have actually gone back in time? maybe just me...

SFUVancouver
Apr 30, 2008, 1:56 AM
BTW, has anyone noticed that the Google Earth satellite shots have actually gone back in time? maybe just me...

It's not just you at all. I noticed the same thing and are they ever out of date!

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6207/oldgoogleearthvancouveriq5.jpg

http://creativecommons.org/images/public/somerights20.png (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/ca/) My composition, made April 29th, 2008, with a file from the UBC Archives (http://www.library.ubc.ca/spcoll/inventories/mapslides1.html) (S436 (http://www.library.ubc.ca/spcoll/images/slides/MapS436.jpg)) and Google Earth (http://earth.google.com/).

By the way, welcome to the forum starrdarcy.

worldwide
Apr 30, 2008, 3:59 AM
is this next to the existing apartment building with sprott shaw in the botom, or is this a redevelopment of that site. although the density is needed that building should be torn down it is so bad

SpongeG
Apr 30, 2008, 4:21 AM
its next to it - just to the north

currently an empty lot with trees and garbage, shopping carts etc strewn about

cc85
Apr 30, 2008, 5:28 AM
hmm, well it only came in about a month ago, hard to say that it is complete jhauser. Im not quite satisified with that road layout through the site, looks a little substandard. a connection to the days inn site needs to be provided...

Lee_Haber8
Apr 30, 2008, 4:49 PM

WOW

I can't wait to see your 3D model of the central city area. I remember awhile ago someone did a similar SketchUp model of the same area but this was before the Gateway Office park and these Holland Pointe towers. GJ :tup:

Looks nice. I hope in the final design that they have some retail presence on King George since it is a major street

GMasterAres
May 1, 2008, 8:30 PM
hmm, well it only came in about a month ago, hard to say that it is complete jhauser. Im not quite satisified with that road layout through the site, looks a little substandard. a connection to the days inn site needs to be provided...

Absolutely. Thus why I said at the start that this is just the first cut that I saw. I know with personal experience how sometimes plans go through quick, sometimes plans take years to flesh out and can change vastly.

Not to mention this year is an election year so some of the projects getting closer to November may change or vanish come a change in council leadership. I have a hard time believing that the Surrey political scene is going to change much this election, but you never know.

The original design though which I snapshotted (from within Sketchpad) was actually made available January 2008 which from what I gather was before it was submitted. Like I said, could change who knows.

:-)

I'm not sure what you mean regarding a link to the Day's Inn though? Do you mean pedestrian wise? Or road wise?

Kwik-E-Mart
May 1, 2008, 10:26 PM
The full potential of Downtown Surrey is finally exposed

paradigm4
May 26, 2008, 2:19 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2390/2522324161_5d287895d7.jpg

A picture of the site I took the other day during the Holland Park grand opening.

vanman
May 26, 2008, 3:45 AM
^Usually I'm not a big fan of tree clearing but in this case I can't wait to see that site leveled. It looks like it is covered in half dead trees and vagrant remnants.

SpongeG
May 26, 2008, 10:21 PM
yah its a pretty dead site - been so for as long as i can remember

geoff's two cents
Oct 1, 2008, 12:16 PM
http://i33.tinypic.com/bjieiq.jpg

[Source: Surrey North Delta Leader]

Surrey North Delta Leader
41-storey tower coming

By Kevin Diakiw - Surrey North Delta Leader

Published: September 30, 2008 11:00 AM
Updated: September 30, 2008 3:36 PM

Whalley will soon be home to this city’s tallest towers, with one reaching more than 40 storeys.

Surrey council gave early approval to three highrise residential apartment buildings, which will be located at 13583 98A Ave.

The tallest will be 41 storeys, and the other two, which will be built close by, will be 36 and 30 storeys.

They will be the tallest buildings in Surrey by a large stretch.

Council was extremely enthused with the stylish tower designs presented to them by Patrick Cotter, the architect for the project.

“I hope you build something as nice as the pictures you’ve given to us,” said Coun. Marvin Hunt.

Coun. Bob Bose called it a “very exciting project,” and he was pleased to see an office component to it.

He said he’s like to see more projects like it, and noted other architects and developers should follow suit.

Coun. Linda Hepner thanked Cotter, saying it’s just the kind of development Surrey needs.

“It’s about time somebody did share our vision.”

Cotter told The Leader after the meeting the project could break ground as soon as next May.

kdiakiw@surreyleader.com

I, for one, like the initial rendering - How long, I wonder, before projects like this and the Gateway "office park" development break ground?

Sorry, I'm not sure what the title of this project is. . .

nickinacan
Oct 1, 2008, 3:13 PM
Isn't this Holland Pointe? The address seems to fit it, as well as their being three towers of varying heights...

mr.x
Oct 1, 2008, 3:13 PM
^ wow, the one in front looks amazing.....sortof like a wider but shorter version of the Shangri-la, only in shape of course.

excel
Oct 1, 2008, 3:27 PM
great news thanks!

phesto
Oct 1, 2008, 3:45 PM
I, for one, like the initial rendering - How long, I wonder, before projects like this and the Gateway "office park" development break ground?

Sorry, I'm not sure what the title of this project is. . .

Unfortunately, both this project and the new Gateway park are phased.

For this project - the 41-storey tower is part of phase 3, so likely a few years before construction starts. On the plus side, it is 138 metres tall.

For Gateway - here is an excerpt from the rezoning:

The applicant proposes to develop the project in phases, with timing based on the ability to secure tenants for the proposed office space.

Had they proposed this two years ago, I might expect it to go ahead. As it stands, they've been looking for tenants for over 6 months now and no luck. One can only hope they get lucky.

LeftCoaster
Oct 1, 2008, 4:06 PM
Well at least there is quite a bit of enthuasiam on this project. The project is in a holding pattern right now, but as soon as that tenant is found the developer, contractor and city are all ready to jump into action right away. To be honest I'm surprised there isnt much interest in the lower sf office rates being offered in Surrey, as there is seemingly enough demand in Vancouver for sub $30 psf rates.

Also Hollande point will in fact be phased as Phesto noted, however the phases are set to have slight overlap so construction at this point is set to be continuious through the three tower phases. This being said the plans are still quite preliminary so it could easily change for the better or worse. As it stands right now look for a mid 2009 construction start.

officedweller
Oct 1, 2008, 5:57 PM
Looks good, thanks.
In the rendering (looking south down King George) that would be Infinity (1) on the left and you can see the blue peaked roof of the Best Buy on the right (and the Skytrain guideway crossing King George).

Metro-One
Oct 1, 2008, 5:59 PM
I wish surrey had this great plan in place 10 years ago, then i would not be so worried about the outcome of all these great proposals.

paradigm4
Oct 1, 2008, 7:26 PM
Huh... I actually liked the design of the renderings we were seeing before. It was very eclectic, curvy and modern. That big tower in the foreground is supposed to be a signature building... looks to me just like a Shangri-la copy. And frankly, the Shangri-la is anything but "signature".

Volksboi
Oct 1, 2008, 7:49 PM
I really like the one in front, I agree it does look like the Shangri-la. Keep in mind though that if this one is considered a "signature" tower, is is just one of MANY to come. There are some in the works and planning stages that will knock the socks off this one. But I think this is great news for Surrey, and cant wait to see them break ground!

SpongeG
Oct 1, 2008, 9:12 PM
sweet

its right beside the park in what has sat empty for years

will really help that area not feel so diconnected as it does now

cornholio
Oct 1, 2008, 9:31 PM
No way these towers start construction in this decade, I think it will be a while still. The market is not working in their favor.

As far as Gateway goes, originally in the early 90's they had 5 office towers and atleast 7 residential towers planned, almost 20 years later we still have one office tower and threee residential towers and a couple low rises buildings that were originally suposed to be towers. Personally im not expecting anything big anytime soon with the office towers, though im sure one day they will be built...who know when though, it could easily be another decade(though I doubt it)

Metro-One
Oct 1, 2008, 9:35 PM
I really hope Metro vancouver really sells itself hard to the international business community during the olympics. there is no reason for us to have so few head offices as of now. You would think being such a major port and pacific gateway we would at least have major shipping/trading company head offices. hopefully we continue to gather more strength from the technology sector.

SpongeG
Oct 1, 2008, 9:47 PM
I don't know BC is expected to weather this ok

and Surrey is growing like crazy and can probably make it

jlousa
Oct 1, 2008, 10:21 PM
I'm very pessimestic as well, but I hope to be proven wrong.

Coldrsx
Oct 1, 2008, 10:33 PM
I really hope Metro vancouver really sells itself hard to the international business community during the olympics. there is no reason for us to have so few head offices as of now. You would think being such a major port and pacific gateway we would at least have major shipping/trading company head offices. hopefully we continue to gather more strength from the technology sector.

part of the reason...and akin to why seattle or LA doesnt have a major HQ presence is the time zone... no lie. You are starting work when the major markets in NA are eating lunch and you are coming back from lunch when the markets close. You are too early for asian markets.

it isnt the entire reason, but a key reason IMO

SpongeG
Oct 1, 2008, 11:01 PM
part of the reason...and akin to why seattle or LA doesnt have a major HQ presence is the time zone... no lie. You are starting work when the major markets in NA are eating lunch and you are coming back from lunch when the markets close. You are too early for asian markets.

it isnt the entire reason, but a key reason IMO

yeah i think so too

I know my companies head office is in toronto and so much has to be done here to meet their time deadlines so after they shut office for the night which is like 2 pm local vancouver you're out of luck till the next day so makes for a relaxed afternoon but rushed mornings

cc85
Oct 2, 2008, 3:41 AM
this development really altered their structure based on the market, going rom 50 floors to 41 floors, really trying to skimp on the material costs. The good thing is the new collector road, 98A will be built with phase 1, thereby creating the new future link with east whalley ring road through the current days inn site. This will be a major intersection in the future.

re; the market, they really timed it bad. I don't think they will built the entire 3 phases in a hurry. They are now going to have to sell these condos within the next 20 months and then start construction in 4 months, or they are going to have to go back for approval. In that time frame I do not believe they will face a favourable development market.

cornholio
Oct 2, 2008, 9:49 PM
I don't know BC is expected to weather this ok

and Surrey is growing like crazy and can probably make it

BC being expected to weather the storm...thats funny talk....BC will suffer like everyone else, and at this point it will be falling from a higher point then many others.

Metro-One
Oct 2, 2008, 10:37 PM
:previous: Western Canada is actually expected to weather the storm better than eastern canada or the united states. Of course we will be affected, as is the entire world, but BC has significantly increased its trading with non US markets in the last few years and unlike eastern canada, western Canada's economy is not dependent on manufacturing like it is in Ontario, where even a slow down in the car industry spells big trouble.

GMasterAres
Oct 5, 2008, 10:42 PM
BC will get hit by the issues simply due to the travel industry. We get a lot of visitors from the US and if their economy is struggling and gas prices are high, they are less inclined to come up here. I'm sure after the numbers are in this Winter, Whistler will note a drop of some sort traveler wise. How much that drop is will be pure speculation in the short term, but I would be surprised if we don't get affected in some way due to that.

We will be hit less hard compared with the East though that's for sure. But anyonen that thinks BC won't be affected is crazy. I do however agree that we will most likely weather the storm fine in the end.

GMasterAres
Oct 5, 2008, 10:45 PM
this development really altered their structure based on the market, going rom 50 floors to 41 floors, really trying to skimp on the material costs. The good thing is the new collector road, 98A will be built with phase 1, thereby creating the new future link with east whalley ring road through the current days inn site. This will be a major intersection in the future.

re; the market, they really timed it bad. I don't think they will built the entire 3 phases in a hurry. They are now going to have to sell these condos within the next 20 months and then start construction in 4 months, or they are going to have to go back for approval. In that time frame I do not believe they will face a favourable development market.

When was it ever 50 floors? When I first caught wind of this (when I made this post however long ago) the proposal was 37 floors for the tallest tower. 41 would seem to indicate they actually made the towers larger.

Maybe I wasn't privy to more top secret information you were, but I don't remember ever hearing that it would be 50 floors in this project. You may be thinking of Urban Village. /scratches head

I could be wrong though.

nickinacan
Oct 6, 2008, 7:12 PM
When was it ever 50 floors? When I first caught wind of this (when I made this post however long ago) the proposal was 37 floors for the tallest tower. 41 would seem to indicate they actually made the towers larger.

Maybe I wasn't privy to more top secret information you were, but I don't remember ever hearing that it would be 50 floors in this project. You may be thinking of Urban Village. /scratches head

I could be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure that it was all just speculation. There has been rumours of 50+ floor buildings being pitched to the city. So far the only semi-confirmed one is one of the Urban Village towers (Which was brought up at the City Centre Open House). Even then, this tower is not confirmed. I'm sure they will come eventually, maybe even across from Holland Point where the Hotel currently is.

cc85
Oct 6, 2008, 10:15 PM

I could be wrong though.

if i remember correctly they proposed this about two months ago, before the public hearing, just to test the waters.

Metro-One
Oct 6, 2008, 10:32 PM
I am no longer holding my breath for any projects in Metro-Vancouver, or Canada for that matter, that is not already in the construction phase. It seems the markets are just continuing to get worse. I am really starting to loose my optimism. At least construction materials and labour will be cheeper for Gateway, Evergreen Line, streetcar and other infrastructure projects! Always a silver lining!

SpongeG
Oct 6, 2008, 11:22 PM
i don't think its going to be that dire

people still need housing and more and more are moving to BC

giallo
Oct 7, 2008, 1:14 AM
^True, but the new condos won't have all those bells and whistles.

Witness the new Vancouverism

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3155/2558366906_fb9ffc531e_b.jpg
photo:flaveris@flickr

SpongeG
Oct 7, 2008, 4:31 AM
meh things were getting too fancy

people need to be practical

I think builders should just build shells and than sell them cheap and the let the buyers finish them to their liking

as an option at least

fever
Oct 7, 2008, 4:39 AM
There was a prefab proposal in Surrey a few years ago. ihi or something right beside the skytrain. it seemed shady

on a related note, there were some traditional fee-simple rowhouses proposed in north van maybe five years ago with the basements unfinished. the idea was that the owner could fix it up if he wanted. city council killed it though, one of the reasons being that the owners of fee-simple rowhouses, not being bound by a strata council, would be allowed to paint the rowhouses different colours.

SpongeG
Oct 7, 2008, 4:43 AM
i think there was a place on seymour that let the owners o the interiors too - it was across from graceland thats only way i can remember it

waiting in line looking at all the odd rooms across the street - they were all pretty different

officedweller
Oct 7, 2008, 7:10 PM
That would be "Space" across from Luv-a-Fair.

SpongeG
Oct 7, 2008, 10:32 PM
ah yes i always got graceland and luv affair confused

lol

GMasterAres
Oct 10, 2008, 7:03 PM
Does anyone know the architect for the project? I am trying to build the design of the buildings in Sketchup for my Downtown Surrey thinger and the photo from the Leader is a tad too small to be somewhat accurate. It would help to have a few shots of the conceptual design and usually the architects boast about their projects.

The Surrey site doesn't list the arch for this project though for some reason. Hrmm.

joeblowurho
Oct 11, 2008, 11:17 PM
Does anyone know the architect for the project? I am trying to build the design of the buildings in Sketchup for my Downtown Surrey thinger and the photo from the Leader is a tad too small to be somewhat accurate. It would help to have a few shots of the conceptual design and usually the architects boast about their projects.

The Surrey site doesn't list the arch for this project though for some reason. Hrmm.

It's Patrick Cotter Architects.

GMasterAres
Oct 15, 2008, 4:50 PM
It's Patrick Cotter Architects.

Thanks. That's the same Architect for the Urban Village Ultra project. They don't have anything posted yet unfortunately so I shall just wait patiently.

jlousa
Nov 24, 2008, 9:18 PM
Phase 1+2 and 3 which I can only imagine is the whole project have been delayed with a further update in April/09. That doesn't mean they are cancelled, but don't expect any movement for a while.

LeftCoaster
Apr 9, 2009, 8:23 PM
Well it's April and I have some news!

This project certainly hasn't been canceled, it is still in the works but there is no date associated with its construction.

Now on to the really good news...

The design has been significantly changed, resulting in a 31 storey 91m building, a 35 storey 106.5m building and a 160.5m 50 storey building.

Some Renderings:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7121/hollande.png (http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hollande.png)

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6395/hollande2.png (http://img24.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hollande2.png)

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/13/hollande3.png (http://img24.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hollande3.png)

vansky
Apr 9, 2009, 8:50 PM
Well it's April and I have some news!

This project certainly hasn't been canceled, it is still in the works but there is no date associated with its construction.

Now on to the really good news...

The design has been significantly changed, resulting in a 31 storey building, a 35 storey building and a 160.5m 50 storey building.

I'll post the renderings when I can.

160 sounds ok, i thought once there was something like a 250m planned for surrey. Surrey really has a better potential in height than richmond or even burnaby, crazy.

Metro-One
Apr 9, 2009, 8:55 PM
Wow! I really hope this one breaks ground in the near future. Is this the most concrete proposal of a skyscraper (150m+) Surrey has so far?

LeftCoaster
Apr 9, 2009, 8:58 PM
^^Yes

Just checked out the website and they have some additional renders that I don't have.

http://www.cotterarchitects.com/

The two smaller towers are under Holland Pointe and the signature tower is under Park Place

Lead
Apr 9, 2009, 8:59 PM
Nice. I'd like to see this, the Berezan towers, and Central City II added to that Sketchup model of downtown Surrey someone was working on.

osirisboy
Apr 9, 2009, 9:00 PM
nice!! thanks for the update

metroXpress
Apr 10, 2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the update....good to see things back on track again.

Whalleyboy
Apr 10, 2009, 1:52 AM
that is freakin awesome

CoryHolmes
Apr 10, 2009, 2:07 AM
This is just so sweet. I guess people are feeling the urge to match up to Berazen's proposal in a game of one-uppmanship. I fail to see the problem with this :)

Whalleyboy
Apr 10, 2009, 2:41 AM
Nice. I'd like to see this, the Berezan towers, and Central City II added to that Sketchup model of downtown Surrey someone was working on.
I have been thinking the same thing

Stingray2004
Apr 10, 2009, 2:50 AM
a 160.5m 50 storey building.

Awesome!

And the best part of it all, Surrey doesn't have those so-called, socially-engineered "view cones". :tup:

The sky's the limit! :cheers:

Whalleyboy
Apr 10, 2009, 2:53 AM
I've remember reading some where surrey want to look into view cones down the line
cause view cones despite be annoying can make the city a lot better to look at
also they probably wouldnt be as bad as Vancouver's

giallo
Apr 10, 2009, 3:06 AM
Nice proposal.
Thanks for the update, LC.

Whalleyboy
Apr 10, 2009, 7:54 PM
i think this one looks way better then the orginal plan
well the 51 story one
the other 2 are looking a little plain

vansky
Apr 10, 2009, 8:41 PM
i think this one looks way better then the orginal plan
well the 51 story one
the other 2 are looking a little plain

finally something looking more powerful, we have to admit that height shows power.

metroXpress
Apr 10, 2009, 9:00 PM
Can't wait to see the tower being built....At this rate, I am still not sure if we will achieve the 2075 Plan?

officedweller
Apr 11, 2009, 8:09 PM
A bit slab-ish, but thanks for the info.

Whalleyboy
Apr 12, 2009, 1:06 AM
who cares it s big thats all that matters=P

vansky
Apr 12, 2009, 1:10 AM
who cares it s big thats all that matters=P

it looks strong too

Whalleyboy
Apr 12, 2009, 1:16 AM
Wow! I really hope this one breaks ground in the near future. Is this the most concrete proposal of a skyscraper (150m+) Surrey has so far?

Also to answer that i seriously think central tower 2 is more of a concrete proposal then this. But thats just in my opinion. Like i said a while back the urban village was using the central tower 2 in one of there ads. Where i havent seen anything much on theses. Plus all the things they said they can do with the second central tower make it seem more practical to build.

Whalleyboy
Apr 12, 2009, 1:21 AM
it looks strong too

i like the random open part on it too makes it look cool in my eyes

Pinion
Apr 12, 2009, 1:31 AM
Big yawn on the design, but nice to see someone's able to build high.

vansky
Apr 12, 2009, 1:39 AM
i like the random open part on it too makes it look cool in my eyes

This one got some power, I think vancouver is starting to make some real progress in terms of architecture.

The convention center is the first one but also the only one that I liked, in the past I thought what the city had was a joke compare to the more symbolic architectures.

The entire surrey plan looks much better than metrotown.

Whalleyboy
Apr 12, 2009, 1:50 AM
Aren't metrotowns plan aimed more at making metrotown mall area the center where there sort of directing everything towards it?

vansky
Apr 12, 2009, 1:57 AM
Metrotown doesn't seem to be very busy other than the mall inside. It has condos but rarely I see many walk on the street.

East Van
Apr 12, 2009, 4:52 AM
^^^ true enough. It really falls short of an area like North York which it should be like...

vansky
Apr 12, 2009, 5:53 AM
with all hope for this one, vancouver's infrastructure lacks way behind the cities we usually talk about, this economic downturn will nevertheless worsen things even more.

and the other thing it lacks is university research, patent, and etc, which means "copying" from other cities like hong kong is not gona solve that. not to mention the lack of stock exchange, banks and headquarters...these condos are not giong to help that, but nevertheless helps a little bit.

slap slap

Nites
Apr 13, 2009, 11:48 PM
is this next to the existing apartment building with sprott shaw in the botom, or is this a redevelopment of that site. although the density is needed that building should be torn down it is so bad

I agree that the apartment building looks nasty. I believe it was built sometime in the 70's. BTW isn't that CDI College below the apartment?

Whalleyboy
Apr 14, 2009, 11:05 PM
look at all the old cement slab tower around surrey the all look horrible
i mean look at the one over looking holland park...that one is the one i'd really like to see replace with something more up to day it kind a ruins holland park

GMasterAres
Apr 29, 2009, 5:06 PM

Unfortunately I've been crazy busy the last 5 months between here and California and haven't added much additional to my Sketchup project. I have actually added teh Berezan towers though and did some prelim for the original HP proposal, but nothing since.

Hopefully in the next month I'll have some free time to throw some stuff up and add some of the additional proposals.

On the updated images, as with all proposals in Surrey, I'm cautiously excited. As long as it isn't being pushed by MAC marketting who in my opinion failed "communicating with your customers 101", I'm happy hehe. The housing market seems to be starting the trend towards stabalization now that people are realizing it's the US with the major problems, not Canada so much, though I think we still will have a year or so of sputtering before things start to get back to normal. What has hurt the housing market in Vancouver I think more is the failure of world banks. Take Infinity for example. If it wasn't for bank failures, the project would be near complete for towers 2 and 3. It had nothing to do with lack of people buying or being over budget.

So as the banks clean things up and start to improve, the market will pick up again.

Whalleyboy
Apr 30, 2009, 12:11 AM
where is the new map?
are you gonna be looking to add the second central tower too?

Whalleyboy
Apr 30, 2009, 12:19 AM
Unfortunately I've been crazy busy the last 5 months between here and California and haven't added much additional to my Sketchup project. I have actually added teh Berezan towers though and did some prelim for the original HP proposal, but nothing since.

Hopefully in the next month I'll have some free time to throw some stuff up and add some of the additional proposals.

On the updated images, as with all proposals in Surrey, I'm cautiously excited. As long as it isn't being pushed by MAC marketting who in my opinion failed "communicating with your customers 101", I'm happy hehe. The housing market seems to be starting the trend towards stabalization now that people are realizing it's the US with the major problems, not Canada so much, though I think we still will have a year or so of sputtering before things start to get back to normal. What has hurt the housing market in Vancouver I think more is the failure of world banks. Take Infinity for example. If it wasn't for bank failures, the project would be near complete for towers 2 and 3. It had nothing to do with lack of people buying or being over budget.

So as the banks clean things up and start to improve, the market will pick up again.
i think you mean 4-5 nearing complete

GMasterAres
Jun 3, 2009, 6:50 PM
i think you mean 4-5 nearing complete

I don't. 2 and 3 were delayed the first time not because of the financial market but because the City of Surrey made them go back to the drawing board and redesign both buildings because they didn't like the original look. Then again that's what Jung said... who knows if it is entirely accurate.

I do think though these companies could move faster at things. I hate phased issues. I like how in China they can get 10+ 40 floor buildings built all at the same time np. Then again maybe we don't have enough construction workers in BC period to do that but I wish they could have just did towers 1, 2, and 3, all at the same time.

I mean look at City Point. They did both towers at the same time (or are doing) but if they followed what MOST developers seem to be doing, they would have sold tower 1... built it.... then sold tower 2... then built it. 7 years later...

Just sell the whole darned project at the same time and build the whole darned thing at the same time. This phased crap is starting to get annoying.

Whalleyboy
Jun 22, 2009, 7:52 PM
so heres another one with all three towers in view coming down king goerge

i gotta say they fill the gap between central and infinity nicely

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/hollandpointe.jpg
photo from my photobucket

Canadian Mind
Jun 22, 2009, 8:20 PM
That'll look cool.

VanTowers
Jun 22, 2009, 8:45 PM
So when does construction start? And dont tell me its delayed.

LeftCoaster
Jun 22, 2009, 9:08 PM
There is no specified start date so the project is not technically delayed. It will start when everything is in place and the owner is satisfied with the sales, pricing and financing they have.