PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : BC Place: Stadium Refurbishment | Completed

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Prometheus
Sep 25, 2011, 5:44 AM
It is hard to see (because this guy's cell phone video camera is like from 1997 or something), but you can roughly make out the Whitecaps' curtain system at the end of the video. It looks like it needs serious work.

MJDDawg
Sep 25, 2011, 5:59 AM
Yeah I was just going to say the same thing about the curtains. Since this is the first time this curtain solution has been tried as far as I know, my fear is that it will end up looking like a cheap add-on against the backdrop of the gorgeous brand new interior. I guess we'll know soon enough, but I hope they can pull it off.

SpongeG
Sep 25, 2011, 6:02 AM
apparenty the staff at bc place take a strike vote this week...

nobase2010
Sep 25, 2011, 3:37 PM
_LaO4QkgWlw

Prometheus
Sep 25, 2011, 4:49 PM
Why does it bug me so much that this guy's cell phone video camera is so unbelievably crappy?

Anyways, this latest video gives you a better idea of what the curtain system will be like. I don't know, man.

hollywoodnorth
Sep 26, 2011, 2:59 AM
Why does it bug me so much that this guy's cell phone video camera is so unbelievably crappy?

Anyways, this latest video gives you a better idea of what the curtain system will be like. I don't know, man.

this one is a bit better ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncwL8BMbMW0

ckkelley
Sep 26, 2011, 3:34 AM
Thanks for the vids.

It's totally gonna be a trip rollin' in there for the first time. So stoked!

Chadillaccc
Sep 26, 2011, 3:41 AM
So glad it's almost done! Looking great!

TMW
Sep 26, 2011, 5:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2W62Dul6Ks

@ the 57 second mark it shows some footage of BC Place in FIFA 12.

I'm still sceptical, but the video game makes the curtain system look pretty good and creates an intimate atmosphere.

Vancity
Sep 26, 2011, 6:07 AM
Not impressed with the way they're going with the draping system. Looks poor on all accounts.

But everything else seems to look up to par!

Vancity
Sep 26, 2011, 6:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2W62Dul6Ks

@ the 57 second mark it shows some footage of BC Place in FIFA 12.

I'm still sceptical, but the video game makes the curtain system look pretty good and creates an intimate atmosphere.

Draping system currently in place looks nothing like the one in FIFA 12. Actually, if anything, it looks like a disaster. I wish they had put more thought into how they could do it better. Draping system looks...terrible.

Vancity
Sep 26, 2011, 6:18 AM
_LaO4QkgWlw

Look at the 29 second mark. Gives you a good still pic (if you pause) at the draping system.

mrjauk
Sep 26, 2011, 6:48 AM
Look at the 29 second mark. Gives you a good still pic (if you pause) at the draping system.

Without the benefit of any inside knowledge I do not for a moment believe that the curtain will have those gaps when it is completed.

officedweller
Sep 26, 2011, 6:54 AM
The drapes don't look like they've been pulled taut. i.e. not finished yet.

officedweller
Sep 26, 2011, 7:47 AM
Taken by a co-worker from TV Towers:

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1926/p1000004p.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/p1000004p.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

hollywoodnorth
Sep 26, 2011, 8:13 AM
very good story with lots of back history on BC PLACE ..

BC Place an icon on the city’s ever-changing landscape

For nearly 30 years it has sat on the edge of what was once a waterfront industrial wasteland, an anchor for the dreams and ambitions of people who believed it could spark a downtown urban renewal.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Place+icon+city+ever+changing+landscape/5444012/story.html

funny segment

Not everyone saw the stadium as a good fit for Vancouver.

Michael Seelig, now professor emeritus at the University of B.C.’s school of planning, thought it was a cockamamie idea to build a stadium on valuable downtown land. He also thought the city wouldn’t be able to develop residential land north of Georgia Street, in what he called “no man’s land.”

Now, 30 years later, Seelig — who with his wife Julie and associate Alan Artibise wielded considerable influence in the city’s planning circles — has changed his mind.

The Seeligs now spend most of their time living in Israel and London, and when they come back every year, they see Vancouver through new eyes.

“Time has an incredible way of dealing with things. Things I was critical about before I am beginning to say maybe I was wrong because I think they worked out,” Seelig said.

maybe it was a no mans land for a while now .... its a vibrant community! glad he admits he was WRONG ..... ;) :)

cc85
Sep 26, 2011, 5:43 PM
Planners back then prescribed to a very different way of thinking; generally not very compatible with how cities should work sustainably.

djmk
Sep 26, 2011, 6:13 PM
new from the whitecaps website

For nearly three decades, BC Place has been a centerpiece for the City of Vancouver. Originally erected as the world’s largest air-supported stadium in 1983, the stadium has now been reinvented and modernized. The stadium has again made history, as it is now a year-round open-air facility with a brand new cable-supported retractable roof – the biggest of its kind in the world.

The renovated venue is the new home of Vancouver Whitecaps FC, with the ‘Caps playing on Bell Pitch downtown. This renews a long history for Whitecaps FC at BC Place which began during the days of the North American Soccer League. The ‘Caps played the very first sporting event at the original stadium, beating arch-rivals rivals Seattle Sounders 2-1 in front of a crowd of 60,342 on June 20, 1983. In total, the club played 41 matches at the old BC Place (including eight as the 86ers). The last such match was a friendly versus David Beckham and LA Galaxy on November 7, 2007, with 48,172 fans packing the stands.

Now, as we’ve returned to the heart of the city, Whitecaps FC again play inside a truly world-class soccer facility on Bell Pitch downtown.

Stadium Facts

Retractable Roof

The only venue of its kind in MLS, the stadium features 100m x 85m of blue-sky when open – the same size as the field area below. Each of the roof’s support masts is 47m tall. All together, the structure is like 18 suspension bridges, each around 200m long. To open the roof, the flexible Tenara fabric retracts into the centre of the opening where it’s hidden inside of a pod above the video board. The transformation takes just 20 minutes.

Field

A new Polytan Ligaturf 240 RS+ all-weather turf field has been installed. The playing surface has a FIFA 2-star rating, designed to meet the highest standards. This field has previously been used at the training grounds for German club Bayern Munich, as well as stadiums such as: Borussia-Park in Mönchengladbach, Germany; Red Bull Arena in Salzburg, Austria and Estadio Nacional in Lima, Peru.

Video Board

As part of the renovations, a new state-of-the-art four-sided centre-hung high definition video board has been installed. The screen is the largest in MLS and the second largest of its kind in North America – behind only the one at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas, Texas. The largest side is 68ft x 38ft, the same area as 450 42” flat screen TVs. The 100,000 pound unit may be raised or lowered depending on event or game requirements.

Light Display

Those who gaze at the stadium will notice a significant new attraction. Façade panels have been installed just above the concrete ring beam to create a new ETFE light display. This display will show a variety of colours and will be customized for Whitecaps FC matches.

Improved Seating Options

Among the changes in the stands are wider, more modern seats, which now include cupholders. Other selections available include:

Club Seats

1,300 premium club seats are available with two spacious club lounges on Level 3. These centre-field seats provide great sightlines along with cushions, as well as full food and beverage service and a dedicated stadium entrance so you can skip lines.

Loge Seats

The first three rows are moveable loge seating which will bring fans right down to floor level, closer to the action. Fans in this area will also be treated to a loge lounge, as well as their own food court.

Suites

50 newly designed and refurbished guest suites are now available. These include unique hospitality amenities, such as a private suite entrance and concierge service, making for a comfortable experience while enjoying the match.

Seating Capacity

The soccer-specific configuration for Whitecaps FC matches will be approximately 21,000, with a flexible draping system covering the upper bowl to create a more intimate and electric atmosphere.

Merchandise

There are four retail locations situated on the Level 2 concourse. Each of them will be open as gates open on match days.

Transportation and Accessibility

The stadium is located in the heart of downtown Vancouver, directly next to Rogers Arena, home of the Vancouver Canucks. Though parking is available in the area, it’s often limited during special events. Another way to get to the stadium is by public transport via skytrain or bus.

Find more information at http://www.bcplacestadium.com/index.php/getting-here.html

Getting into the stadium has also been made easier with the removal of airlocks and revolving doors and the addition of eight high-traffic access ramps. Once you’re in, you can find your way around with the help of distinct concourse colours to assist wayfinding. There are also new reserved areas for people with disabilities integrated into the main stadium seating, as well as new slip-resistant surfaces for the safety of all stadium-goers.

Environment and Sustainability

The new roof results in much greater energy efficient, saving 25 percent on energy costs (or about $350,000 per year). New energy-efficient sports lighting has also been built in, allowing brighter lights and using 40% less energy. Other initiatives include expanded recycling and carbon neutral operations that aim to improve carbon management and shrink actual emissions year after year.

Overall Upgrades

Included among the stadium’s improvements are 40 upgraded concessions with expanded menus and faster service, as well as 52 upgraded washrooms and various improvements to media facilities, dressing rooms and general public areas. Also included are upgrades to the exterior plazas and a new Terry Fox Memorial.

For more information on BC Place, please visit bcplace2011.com.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/bc-place

vanlaw
Sep 26, 2011, 6:23 PM
Just spoke with a sales rep with the Lions. For this Friday's game, lower bowl is completely sold out, and upper bowl is 2/3 sold, so it could very well be a full house for the opener :cheers:

Apparently they had a huge ticket push after the Lions brutalized Sask on Saturday.

Prometheus
Sep 26, 2011, 7:12 PM
Just spoke with a sales rep with the Lions. For this Friday's game, lower bowl is completely sold out, and upper bowl is 2/3 sold, so it could very well be a full house for the opener :cheers:

Apparently they had a huge ticket push after the Lions brutalized Sask on Saturday.

That game was a good advertisement for the opener.

Coldrsx
Sep 26, 2011, 7:17 PM
Tempted to come to grey cup now.

austin242
Sep 26, 2011, 7:55 PM
They say The Display Screen will be the second largest in north america with the largest screen being 68 X 38 and i don't think adding all four sides together really counts considering they are really differrent screens. U.T memorial stadium has one that is 81 feet high and 134 feet wide. 24.68 by 40.84 meters. :shrug:

austin242
Sep 26, 2011, 8:07 PM
:previous:Oh it says of its kind. Tricky little buggers

KPELLY
Sep 26, 2011, 8:08 PM
They say it is second biggest of its kind, by that they mean its center hung. There are plenty of larger video boards at race tracks/ ballparks.

ckkelley
Sep 26, 2011, 11:02 PM
That game was a good advertisement for the opener.

You are correct sir, let's hope they can keep it going.

^
^Sweet pic OD, thank- you!

agrant
Sep 26, 2011, 11:55 PM
Heard on the radio there might be a black-out for the game, to try and get a full house. I'd be a little surprised and disappointed if they follow through with it.

ckkelley
Sep 27, 2011, 12:14 AM
Heard on the radio there might be a black-out for the game, to try and get a full house. I'd be a little surprised and disappointed if they follow through with it.

I read in the Province that the TSN HD feed will be unaffected by a local blackout. For what it's worth....

wrenegade
Sep 27, 2011, 12:52 AM
I just read that a local blackout will be in effect unless they reach at least 90% capacity on ticket sales.

jlousa
Sep 27, 2011, 1:00 AM
Think they'd sell more tickets if they were cheaper. $42 for nose bleeds in the endzone is pretty steep. They will probably fill the dome for the Edmonton game due to it being the opening of the new stadium, but at those prices they won't be selling out very often.
I'd like to hope the Lions have run the numbers but I can't help but think they'd do better with slightly less expensive price points but with 33-50% more fans.

I'm really surprised that the Whitecaps are only planning on using a capacity of 21K. I'm fairly confident that they can squeeze 30K in the lower bowl/field level if they wanted. Not sure reducing the capacity to only 21K will benefit the team.

Vancity
Sep 27, 2011, 1:09 AM
Think they'd sell more tickets if they were cheaper. $42 for nose bleeds in the endzone is pretty steep. They will probably fill the dome for the Edmonton game due to it being the opening of the new stadium, but at those prices they won't be selling out very often.
I'd like to hope the Lions have run the numbers but I can't help but think they'd do better with slightly less expensive price points but with 33-50% more fans.

I'm really surprised that the Whitecaps are only planning on using a capacity of 21K. I'm fairly confident that they can squeeze 30K in the lower bowl/field level if they wanted. Not sure reducing the capacity to only 21K will benefit the team.

Caps management hasn't done a lot of things that has made sense this past year :koko:

I think with a larger stadium, you would think they would increase their seating capacity (to say, 25k in the lower bowl?). I don't know about fitting in 30k in the lower bowl, but maybe 25k would be okay? Either way, surely, they could put more people than 21k. Not utilizing their lower bowl to it's fullest capacity/potential, by limiting to 21k (unless that is all they can fit).

Prometheus
Sep 27, 2011, 1:16 AM
Think they'd sell more tickets if they were cheaper. $42 for nose bleeds in the endzone is pretty steep. They will probably fill the dome for the Edmonton game due to it being the opening of the new stadium, but at those prices they won't be selling out very often. I'd like to hope the Lions have run the numbers but I can't help but think they'd do better with slightly less expensive price points...

The Lions have already shown questionable judgment in their price points for the endzone bleacher seats at Empire Field the last two seasons. So it wouldn't surprise me if they attempt to overreach for the inaugural event of the new BC Place.

Vancity
Sep 27, 2011, 1:17 AM
Anyone heard this?

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/09/26/tv-news-report-shows-rain-soaking-interior-of-renovated-bc-place/

Prometheus
Sep 27, 2011, 1:27 AM
Anyone heard this?

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/09/26/tv-news-report-shows-rain-soaking-interior-of-renovated-bc-place/

Judging from my obssessive viewing of the webcam, I think what Pavco says in the article is the truth: they still have not finished sealing all the seams between the roof panels. Remember, it was less than a week ago when the interior webcam still showed massive gaps (evidence by the streaming daylight) between most of the roof panels. And the exterior webcam to this very day still shows guys working on the seams in some areas. They simply have not finished construction yet.

agrant
Sep 27, 2011, 1:52 AM
$42 to see the Lions? I'll never again complain about prices in movie theatres.

Don't understand the 21 thousand limit for the Caps games. The seating chart shows the whole lower bowl open, which I'm pretty sure is more than 21 thousand.

SpongeG
Sep 27, 2011, 3:51 AM
twitter and facebook is aflood with tweets and posts about the new roof leaking

crazyjoeda
Sep 27, 2011, 4:42 AM
The Seattle Times has some info about the new turf, plus lots of photos.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soundersfcblog/2016323994_the_inside_of_bc_place_polytan.html

MJDDawg
Sep 27, 2011, 5:51 AM
Judging from my obssessive viewing of the webcam, I think what Pavco says in the article is the truth: they still have not finished sealing all the seams between the roof panels. Remember, it was less than a week ago when the interior webcam still showed massive gaps (evidence by the streaming daylight) between most of the roof panels. And the exterior webcam to this very day still shows guys working on the seams in some areas. They simply have not finished construction yet.

Bingo!

http://www.theprovince.com/guarantee+Place+Stadium+roof+leak+opening+night/5458733/story.html

Canadian Skin
Sep 27, 2011, 7:36 AM
twitter and facebook is aflood with tweets and posts about the new roof leaking

The roof isn't leaking, because it's not quite finished yet.

PAVCO has never said it was finished and in a watertight state, only that it was on schedule (before the storm).

S.W.M.Design
Sep 27, 2011, 8:31 AM
They say it is second biggest of its kind, by that they mean its center hung. There are plenty of larger video boards at race tracks/ ballparks.

I was surprised to see that the screens are actually relatively small:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_video_screens

SpongeG
Sep 27, 2011, 8:56 AM
The roof isn't leaking, because it's not quite finished yet.

PAVCO has never said it was finished and in a watertight state, only that it was on schedule (before the storm).

yes but that's not the headlines that people are tweeting about - i've read people taklking about how the stadium is flooded and its chaos and we just spent $240 million on the roof and it leaks blah blah blah

we in here and those who read past the first sentance in the story know whats going

lots of disinformation in the twitter world

like this:

VancityBuzz Karm
Oh the new BC place roof is leaking. Hmmm didn't see that coming lol

Prometheus
Sep 27, 2011, 1:18 PM
Here is the BC Lions' video of their new dressing room at BC Place. The video also gives the most revealing look so far at the new main entrance and lobby:

http://bclions.com/fe_dev.php/video/index/id/20949?autostart=true

As you can see, the new dressing room is nice but modest. I think carpet flooring (something similar to the Canucks) would have substantially elevated the look and feel of the dressing room. A strangely missed opportunity.

WarrenC12
Sep 27, 2011, 1:31 PM
$42 to see the Lions? I'll never again complain about prices in movie theatres.

Don't understand the 21 thousand limit for the Caps games. The seating chart shows the whole lower bowl open, which I'm pretty sure is more than 21 thousand.

I have season tickets at row 6 at the 0 yard line, and they are around $30 face value I think, so $42 just to get in, I don't know where that number is coming from.

vanlaw
Sep 27, 2011, 1:39 PM
I have season tickets at row 6 at the 0 yard line, and they are around $30 face value I think, so $42 just to get in, I don't know where that number is coming from.

Single game prices are $35/$45/$65/$85. Tack on another $7.50 TM service charge and they are quite pricey, and same prices upper bowl as lower. The new "Club Lounge" seats are $125.

peterprinciple
Sep 27, 2011, 2:11 PM
Here is the BC Lions' video of their new dressing room at BC Place. The video also gives the most revealing look so far at the new main entrance and lobby:

As you can see, the new dressing room is nice but modest. I think carpet flooring (something similar to the Canucks) would have substantially elevated the look and feel of the dressing room. A strangely missed opportunity.

Carpet and cleats? nawwww

peterprinciple
Sep 27, 2011, 2:13 PM
Curious to hear "Pinion's" thoughts.

MJDDawg
Sep 27, 2011, 3:20 PM
The Lions dressing room (or is that locker room) seems nice enough, and it's hard not to think of what they could have done since we know what the Canucks did with their reno across the street. Obviously we can't really compare the Leo's new room to the Canucks state-of-the-art $3 Million reno...different stratosphere budget wise, plus the Canucks pretty well live at their facility. The Leo's spend most of their time out at their Surrey facility, coming downtown only for games.

Here's the GlobalTV report on the "leaks". At the 0.33 second mark, you can see water is coming in from the fixed panel side of the roof, close to where it meets the retractable portion. At one point, the reporter mentions that the Jumbotron was still working, even though water and electricity don't mix. Considering it's a retractable roof, you'd think she would have asked someone if the scoreboard could handle the elements.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/a+leaky+situation+for+bc+place/6442489912/story.html

vanlaw
Sep 27, 2011, 4:15 PM
Here's the GlobalTV report on the "leaks". At the 0.33 second mark, you can see water is coming in from the fixed panel side of the roof, close to where it meets the retractable portion. At one point, the reporter mentions that the Jumbotron was still working, even though water and electricity don't mix. Considering it's a retractable roof, I was under the impression that the scoreboard could handle the elements.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/a+leaky+situation+for+bc+place/6442489912/story.html

What a brilliant piece of journalism :koko: It's a good example of why I stoppped watching Global news a few years ago.

Weather looking better for Friday - Sun w/ cloud POP 30%. Sunday not so good.

Prometheus
Sep 27, 2011, 5:24 PM
Mean-spirited and intellectually bankrupt and dishonest journalism. If it had rained back in August while the roof was obviously unfinished (i.e., when there were visible, massive gaps between the panels), would she have claimed the roof was "leaky"?

If it does not work out for her at Global (though she seems like a perfect fit), she could always get a job with one of the British papers who declared the Vancouver Winter Olympics to be the worst ever a day before they even started. She would be a star there.

MJDDawg
Sep 27, 2011, 5:52 PM
Yup. I rank Globaltv BC right up there with the Vancouver Province for journalistic integrity!!

Innersoul1
Sep 27, 2011, 5:55 PM

That Sport Flooring is actually pretty outstanding. It is forgiving under the feet and easy to clean. As pointed out below it works really well with cleats too.

The lockers look nice. The showers still look like something out of the 80s which really is a shame.

Prometheus
Sep 27, 2011, 6:02 PM
The Global story is not just dishonest; it is damaging too. There is no doubt that this story will put a dampener on things and hurt attendance for the opener.

djmk
Sep 27, 2011, 6:23 PM
oh oh

from today's provice

No guarantee B.C. Place Stadium roof won't leak on opening day

By Sean Sullivan, The Province September 27, 2011 8:09 AM

It’s a race against time at B.C. Place Stadium.

The heavy rain that battered Metro Vancouver Monday also sent water sheeting into the nearly complete stadium.

And now officials are admitting the roof on the half-billion-dollar stadium may not be leak-proof by opening day on Friday, when the B.C. Lions are set to take the now-soggy field.

B.C. Pavilion Corp. president Warren Buckley told The Province the foul weather has kept workers from completing the final welds on “about six” of 36 roof panels.

“I don’t think we can guarantee anything at this point,” Buckley said. “They’re actually welding the panels together — we can’t let them do that in the wind and the rain.”

Buckley said most of the water is falling on the field, away from the seating areas.

“I’m sure the experience on Friday night will be spectacular.”

The hugely expensive stadium overhaul has been the site of a series of upbeat media tours, with PavCo officials telling reporters during each tour that everything is on time and on budget. If so, there’s very little room for error at this point, with just days before opening night.

The miserable weather was a headache right across the province Monday as rain and high winds pounded B.C.’s coast, cancelling ferry sailings, flooding roads and drenching hapless pedestrians standing too close to the curb.

B.C. Ferries temporarily suspended travel on eight routes, including Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay, five routes in the northern Gulf Islands and two in the north.

“The cancellations are often for our passengers’ comfort,” spokeswoman Deborah Marshall said. “The ship can take the sea state, but sometimes the passengers can’t.”

Passengers who did make their sailing were offered seasickness bags.

“Massive swells pounding the side of our B.C. Ferry. Passengers staggering around like dizzy drunks. Many green complexions,” CBC Radio host Grant Lawrence posted on Twitter.

Winds up to 80 km/h caused problems in West Vancouver as six Hydro wires fell, one tree crashed into a home and one unlucky person was trapped in an elevator due to a power outage.

B.C. Hydro recorded 45,000 outages, with the northern part of Vancouver Island the hardest hit.

“It’s early in the storm season,” B.C. Hydro spokeswoman Simi Heer said. “We don’t really see storms ramp up until later in October.”

http://www.theprovince.com/news/guarantee+Place+Stadium+roof+leak+opening/5458733/story.html

officedweller
Sep 27, 2011, 7:35 PM
When I read that article in the paper, my first thought was - "this article has ADD".

yes but that's not the headlines that people are tweeting about - i've read people taklking about how the stadium is flooded and its chaos and we just spent $240 million on the roof and it leaks blah blah blah

we in here and those who read past the first sentance in the story know whats going

lots of disinformation in the twitter world

like this:

VancityBuzz Karm
Oh the new BC place roof is leaking. Hmmm didn't see that coming lol

Lowest common denominator - what do you expect?

Innersoul1
Sep 27, 2011, 7:56 PM
That Vancouver Journal article is as BS as they come. It`s pure sensationalism where the writer really tries to hit home the idea that the stadium is not complete and that it is expensive. At the end of the day this is something that really isn`t a big deal. I like that there simply isn`t enough info to write soley on BC Place. They also have to add in the ferry info.

Prometheus
Sep 27, 2011, 9:07 PM
Here is a BC Lions video tour of the new turf and giant video screen:

http://bclions.com/fe_dev.php/video/index/id/20971?autostart=true

hankthetank
Sep 27, 2011, 11:25 PM
Here is a BC Lions video tour of the new turf and giant video screen:

http://bclions.com/fe_dev.php/video/index/id/20971?autostart=true

Is it just me or does Howard Crosley look like he wants to punch the overly excited Jamie Taras in the face...

hollywoodnorth
Sep 28, 2011, 1:36 AM
I think ENCANA .. http://www.encana.com could be in the running with TELUS for naming rights. to be honest I think it could be ENCANA ;) ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encana

jlousa
Sep 28, 2011, 1:42 AM
I've heard that rumour as well, not to mention the ads in the paper. Definitely interesting as the deal with Telus had all the paperwork drawn up. Guess we'll all have to wait a touch longer.

MJDDawg
Sep 28, 2011, 2:46 AM
Interesting. I noticed this on the Lions web site yesterday. Check out the box on the right side of the page where it lists the next home game and they are front and centre.

http://www.bclions.com/main/index

GeeCee
Sep 28, 2011, 2:56 AM
Interesting. I noticed this on the Lions web site yesterday. Check out the box on the right side of the page where it lists the next home game and they are front and centre.

http://www.bclions.com/main/index

http://www.stubhub.com/encana-events-centre-tickets/

Well, I guess we have our name.

edit: oops. that's the name of a building in dawson's creek, i guess.

Prometheus
Sep 28, 2011, 3:55 AM
Here is the latest and most revealing look inside the new BC Place to date: http://watch.tsn.ca/clip539801#clip539801

It looks amazing.

MJDDawg
Sep 28, 2011, 4:17 AM
It looks amazing.

And then there's those bloody curtains! They look worse every time I see them.

Vancity
Sep 28, 2011, 4:31 AM

I'm curious about the Whitecaps' locker rooms. They have the Lions' entrance and locker rooms, but what about the 'Caps?

As for the stadium. It does look good. I'm really curious about the draping system the 'Caps are going to use. Curious to see what it looks like...

Vancity
Sep 28, 2011, 4:34 AM

51 second mark.

They look pretty bad. Lots of gaps in between...

I don't know what they were thinking...

Pinion
Sep 28, 2011, 7:20 AM
Ah dammit, just spent $90 on Lions tickets to see this thing. Would much rather see the 'Caps, but the only tickets left are $110 each?!? That's Canucks-level gouging.

Curious to hear "Pinion's" thoughts.

I've posted my thoughts repeatedly. Was hesitant at first, love it now. You better be careful with this baiting thing though - I wouldn't want to see you get suspended again.

Innersoul1
Sep 28, 2011, 2:45 PM
Here is the latest and most revealing look inside the new BC Place to date: http://watch.tsn.ca/clip539801#clip539801

It looks amazing.

Watched the TSN report just before I went to sleep. Really good shots of the the stadium.

Those screens for the Whitecaps games are HORRIBLE! I swear my eyes were burning. I really hope that they see the error in their ways!

Just a question, when TSN was introducing the clip they showed the corporate image of BC Place which features the old roof design. Will that logo be changingÉ

Canadian Skin
Sep 28, 2011, 3:15 PM
Watched the TSN report just before I went to sleep. Really good shots of the the stadium.

Those screens for the Whitecaps games are HORRIBLE! I swear my eyes were burning. I really hope that they see the error in their ways!

Just a question, when TSN was introducing the clip they showed the corporate image of BC Place which features the old roof design. Will that logo be changingÉ

I'll reserve judgment until they are finished, as I don't want to fall into the crowd that says the roof is leaking when it isn't finished yet. However, I don't think it will be as pleasing to the eye as the FIFA simulation. The gaps may not be as noticeable if they are using lighting effects on the panels and they are pulled taught.

I'm sure once the new sponsor is named that there will be a new "official" logo for the stadium. Much like down in Seattle the stadium has a new CenturyLink Field logo that is different than the Qwest Field logo.

peterprinciple
Sep 28, 2011, 3:36 PM

The upper tier drape will not look anything like that once they are hoisted into place. Be patient. The deadline for these is not Friday Sept 30th. they have until Whitecaps first game day which I think is October 3rd but dont quote me on that date.

peterprinciple
Sep 28, 2011, 4:06 PM
Write to stadium@bcpavco.com and ask them to please put the webcams back online.

crazyjoeda
Sep 28, 2011, 6:20 PM
The Whitecaps game is October 2nd. I hope curtains look all right when everything is done. In FIFA 12 it looks great but what worries me is the rendering posted awhile back showing the gaps. If the curtains end up looking tacky it might be better not to have them at all.

If the Whitecaps can field a more competitive team they could potentially sell 30,000+ seats, which would make use of some of the upper bowl seats. Vancouver already has the 3rd highest attendance despite having the leagues worst record, and Seattle is currently averaging over 37,000. So in the possibility of one day utilizing the whole stadium is not unrealistic.

officedweller
Sep 28, 2011, 6:28 PM
That would be nice to have another corporation front and centre
- maybe the Whitecaps contract with Bell created too many hurdles?

Vancity
Sep 28, 2011, 7:29 PM
The Whitecaps game is October 2nd. I hope curtains look all right when everything is done. In FIFA 12 it looks great but what worries me is the rendering posted awhile back showing the gaps. If the curtains end up looking tacky it might be better not to have them at all.

If the Whitecaps can field a more competitive team they could potentially sell 30,000+ seats, which would make use of some of the upper bowl seats. Vancouver already has the 3rd highest attendance despite having the leagues worst record, and Seattle is currently averaging over 37,000. So in the possibility of one day utilizing the whole stadium is not unrealistic.

to have the stadium in full capacity for whitecaps games would be amazing. i hope it comes to that one day - if the 'caps get better.

Innersoul1
Sep 28, 2011, 7:33 PM
That would be nice to have another corporation front and centre
- maybe the Whitecaps contract with Bell created too many hurdles?

I was certainly thinking the same things. With both Bell and Telus being in telecommunications it would demand that for Lions games vs. Whitecaps games that sponsorships would have to be swapped. It likely brings about a number of logistical and legal issues.

I wouldn`t be surprised to see Encana wanting to have more of a presence in BC with all of the O&G development taking place in the north of your province.

Steveston
Sep 28, 2011, 7:36 PM
A new video, from Level 4, posted on the Lions web site:

http://www.bclions.com/fe_dev.php/video/index/id/20997?autostart=true

Also, word that, as of yesterday, 40,000 tickets sold for Friday's game. Probably end up with a crowd of 45,000 or so.

Canadian Skin
Sep 28, 2011, 7:38 PM
Write to stadium@bcpavco.com and ask them to please put the webcams back online.

Nice work on the roof cam at least.

Vancity
Sep 28, 2011, 8:01 PM
A new video, from Level 4, posted on the Lions web site:

http://www.bclions.com/fe_dev.php/video/index/id/20997?autostart=true

Also, word that, as of yesterday, 40,000 tickets sold for Friday's game. Probably end up with a crowd of 45,000 or so.

Not a sell-out. But the stadium will look full. are they going to show the game on TV? or is the black-out in effect?

Canadian Skin
Sep 28, 2011, 8:12 PM
Not a sell-out. But the stadium will look full. are they going to show the game on TV? or is the black-out in effect?

They haven't announced either way, but a blackout would not affect TSN's HD channel, only the standard definition channel.

jlousa
Sep 28, 2011, 8:26 PM
Helped the cause by getting 6 tickets to Fridays games as well as 6 for the Whitecaps on the 2nd plus 4 more for the Caps on the 12th. I'll take some pics of both the Lions and Whitecaps setup.

Vancity
Sep 28, 2011, 8:50 PM
Helped the cause by getting 6 tickets to Fridays games as well as 6 for the Whitecaps on the 2nd plus 4 more for the Caps on the 12th. I'll take some pics of both the Lions and Whitecaps setup.

That'd be cool. Thx :)

touraccuracy
Sep 28, 2011, 9:57 PM
alright i got tickets for friday. expect a ton of cell phone pics.

TwoFace
Sep 29, 2011, 1:59 AM
Haven't seen any mention of this yet, but apparently BC Place is to become ...

Telus Park & Bell Pitch

Canadian Skin
Sep 29, 2011, 2:06 AM

Telus Park & Bell Pitch

... at BC Place :haha:

TwoFace
Sep 29, 2011, 2:44 AM
... at BC Place :haha:

Let's hope that either Telus or Bell buy out the FULL naming rights so it doesn't become comical like...
BC Lions at BC Place presented by Telus on Telus field

SpongeG
Sep 29, 2011, 3:00 AM
theres a tailgate party for friday - anyone going? they are expecting 50,000 people for the party portion - i think with good weather it could be more

Built Form
Sep 29, 2011, 4:20 AM
Seems like half of SSP members will be there--including me for both the Lions and Caps.
The lights on the cables were lit up for the first time tonight. Looking good and complete.

cc85
Sep 29, 2011, 4:33 AM
Me too! Looks like it's going to be a good time. I hope the padded seats feel good. The old seats at Empire became old very quickly.

Built Form
Sep 29, 2011, 4:50 AM
I've got to admit though I won't be watching the game very much. We'll be there at 5:30 to take advantage of exploring the entire site, assuming that the promenade will be accessible. Plus I'm planning on having dinner there so hopefully the concessions have improved!

Pinion
Sep 29, 2011, 5:07 AM

Telus Park & Bell Pitch

How about a source?

Prometheus
Sep 29, 2011, 5:08 AM
Plus I'm planning on having dinner there so hopefully the concessions have improved!

If you are in the Club Seat section, then you have access to the Club Lounge, which offers some traditional dinner items, like prime rib and crab ravioli, etc.

Also, the regular concessions are offering an improved and expanded menu, which I heard includes items like butter chicken.

Prometheus
Sep 29, 2011, 5:19 AM
The lights on the cables were lit up for the first time tonight. Looking good and complete.

I disagree. It now looks over-complete. There was already so much lighting, from the LED panels on the celestory windows to the mast highlights to the LED roof projection lights. These latest lights are now just overkill and ostentatious. They also tarnish the sleek, futuristic, UFO-like look that the stadium had up to this point, by making the stadium appear top-heavy. They look like the Christmas tree lights on top of Harbour Centre.

logan5
Sep 29, 2011, 5:21 AM
Also, the regular concessions are offering an improved and expanded menu, which I heard includes items like butter chicken.

Considering how much just a hot dog costs at BC Place, a slightly more sophisticated meal like butter chicken will cost a fortune.

jlousa
Sep 29, 2011, 5:27 AM
I found the food at the post renoed concessions quite good and reasonably priced, did not order hotdogs though, had the salmon and it was great and not expensive.

logan5
Sep 29, 2011, 5:38 AM
I disagree. It now looks over-complete. There was already so much lighting, from the LED panels on the celestory windows to the mast highlights to the LED roof projection lights. These latest lights are now just overkill and ostentatious. They also tarnish the sleek, futuristic, UFO-like look that the stadium had up to this point, by making the stadium appear top-heavy. They look like the Christmas tree lights on top of Harbour Centre.

I find the celestory lighting on their own, really overpower the building. The more subtle lighting on top should alleviate the overpowering effect of the celestory lighting. IMO. No doubt tho it will be one bright ass stadium. You'll probably be able to see it from outer space when it's fully lit.
--------
Looking at the web cam, the cable lighting doesn't look tacky the way the christmas tree looks on top of Harbour Centre.

Prometheus
Sep 29, 2011, 5:39 AM
Speaking of lighting, the flood lights on four masts on the east side (i.e., close to the big screen by the Georgia viaduct) have not been working for the last few nights. If anyone knows how, Pavco should be informed. The place should look perfect for opening night.

hollywoodnorth
Sep 29, 2011, 5:53 AM
my pic of the final light show from this eve ..

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/316146_10150827120570066_687880065_20747306_1234701988_n.jpg

hosted on FB

WarrenC12
Sep 29, 2011, 1:18 PM
I think the month or so of lighting testing is not representative of how much the lights will be used on a regular basis. Especially the difference between just lighting things up vs flashing different colors and patterns.

On the seating aspect, they aren't padded. They had some sample seats at the PNE. They are an improvement though.

It should be a great game on Friday. Hopefully the Lions don't get carried away with all of the hype. :tup:

Prometheus
Sep 29, 2011, 3:06 PM
I find the celestory lighting on their own, really overpower the building. The more subtle lighting on top should alleviate the overpowering effect of the celestory lighting. IMO. No doubt tho it will be one bright ass stadium. You'll probably be able to see it from outer space when it's fully lit.

There already was more subtle lighting on top: 1) the up-lighting on the masts and 2) the LED-illuminated roof. The stadium looked sleek, thin and aerodynamic before, as if it could fly and slice through air. With the nest of Christmas lights strung high above, it now appears more thick, messy and top-heavy. It was an eagle before; now it's more like a dodo.

Looking at the web cam, the cable lighting doesn't look tacky the way the christmas tree looks on top of Harbour Centre.

But it does look a bit tacky and ostentatious. It does remind you of Harbour Centre. They do remind you of Christmas lights out of season (even if they are LED). It was cool and clean before; now it's getting a little bit silly and superfluous.

In conclusion, the cable lights tarnish the natural sleek lines and thin profile of the new roof and run the risk of making the stadium slightly laughable.

It was cooler before.

MJDDawg
Sep 29, 2011, 3:11 PM
Speaking of lighting, the flood lights on four masts on the east side (i.e., close to the big screen by the Georgia viaduct) have not been working for the last few nights. If anyone knows how, Pavco should be informed. The place should look perfect for opening night.

Good catch. I noticed this as well, so I've sent a pic showing the masts in question to Pavco. They responded this morning indicating they're working on the fix as we speak.

Can't wait for tomorrow night!

Pinion
Sep 29, 2011, 3:15 PM
I saw the cable lighting in person last night and wasn't impressed, at least from close up on Robson. It looks better in that photo from the other side of false creek. Aren't they required to have some lighting on top for planes etc.?

Terry Fox memorial looks amazing though.

Canadian Skin
Sep 29, 2011, 3:37 PM
Keep in mind that work is going on at the stadium 24/7 right now, so the interior lighting is on during the night. The overall effect will be much different when the interior of the building is dark.