PDA

View Full Version : 12-Wentworth HSR Route Launch

thistleclub
Jun 19, 2008, 6:22 PM
Keith Neighbourhood celebrates new bus service
12-Wentworth route first to be added to downtown Hamilton in 25 years

HAMILTON, ON – June 19, 2008 – Keith Neighbourhood residents, businesses and service operators are thrilled to welcome enhanced HSR transit service to the area along Wentworth Street, Stinson Street, Victoria Avenue and Burlington Street on Monday. Representatives from the community welcome media and guests to a wedding themed event to launch the 12-Wentworth HSR bus route -- the first regular route to be added to the lower city since 1982.

WHAT:
Launch of the 12-Wentworth HSR bus route and celebration of the partnership between Keith Neighbourhood and HSR – Hamilton Public Works Transit Division. Outdoor ceremony followed by light refreshments and tours of the Eva Rothwell Centre.

WHEN:
Monday, June 23 / Official ceremonies at noon.

WHERE:
Eva Rothwell Centre (former Robert Land School)
460 Wentworth St. N., Hamilton, ON

WHO:
Clr. Bernie Morelli, Ward 3
Don Hull, Director of Transit, Public Works Department
Brenda Johnson, Environment Hamilton
Gerry Palmanteer, Keith Neighbourhood Resident
Barb Teichman, Keith Neighbourhood Resident

Millstone
Jun 19, 2008, 8:55 PM
neat

beanmedic
Jun 19, 2008, 9:14 PM
They will shut this down in 2 or 3 months claiming there was not enough interest. This is what happened a few years ago when they introduced the Limeridge route. They ran it once an hour between 10am and 4pm or something like that. It ran down my street and I would have taken it all the time, but a 40 or 50 minute wait is not worth it.

I know this route is every 30 mins, but it runs really limited hours as well.

raisethehammer
Jun 19, 2008, 9:33 PM
yea, the hours suck and no weekend service, but i'm sure it will be used. the neighbourhood asked for it. gotta start somewhere I guess.

markbarbera
Jun 19, 2008, 10:06 PM
Not meaning to look a gift horse in the mouth, but every 30 minutes weekdays only is pretty limited service for a downtown route. I certainly hope there are plans afoot to expand the service when HSR budget allows. I can see this becoming a popular route. The same type of loop should also be considered for Sherman/Gage.

While on the topic of downtown routes, I'd like to see a couple more routes adjusted. First off, I'd like to see the 8 York route extended beyond its current north-east terminus at York and Dundurn so it continues southbound down Dundurn, loops at the Hillcrest loop then back north along Dundurn to York to rejoin York's current westbound route. Dundurn would stand to benefit from bus service along its entire stretch.

I'd also like to see 7 Locke's route changed so it runs south from MacNab terminal to Hunter, west on Hunter to Queen, south on Queen to Aberdeen, west along Aberdeen to Locke, north along Locke, loop at Tecumseh to head back south along Locke to Aberdeen, east along Aberdeen to Bay, north on Bay to King, then east along King back into MacNab terminal. This of course would require two-way traffic on Locke between Main and King again, but I always thought it weird that it was one-way just in that little stretch anyway.

Hammer Town
Jun 19, 2008, 10:37 PM
It hasn't been posted yet but They are also starting a Rymal Road Route and a Waterdown route in september. Apparently the Rymal Route could be called the Walmart Route.

hamiltonguy
Jun 19, 2008, 11:16 PM
They will shut this down in 2 or 3 months claiming there was not enough interest. This is what happened a few years ago when they introduced the Limeridge route. They ran it once an hour between 10am and 4pm or something like that. It ran down my street and I would have taken it all the time, but a 40 or 50 minute wait is not worth it.

I know this route is every 30 mins, but it runs really limited hours as well.

When did we have a Limeridge Route? Not since the Linc was built surely?

DC83
Jun 19, 2008, 11:43 PM
^^ Limeridge was before the Linc. The only reason they shut the service was b/c the Linc cut up Limeridge Rd. It used to be a popular route, esp on Saturdays.

I think the 12-Wentworth will be well used, especially by students in the area. Almost all teens in the Stinson hood are Cathedralites and have to walk from Victoria & Stinson to King/Wentworth, so I know they'll be using it. Especially in the winter!!

matt602
Jun 19, 2008, 11:48 PM
Definitely a good thing to see. As already posted, another North/South route is needed along Sherman/Gage. Following that, one in far East Hamilton/Stoney Creek as well.

flar
Jun 20, 2008, 2:02 AM
I hope this route works out, the Keith neighbourhood is really a forgotten part of the city. There are a lot of shots from Keith in this tour (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=139601). I've noticed some renos over the past year, and there are also a lot of kids there that could benefit from bus service.

raisethehammer
Jun 20, 2008, 2:51 AM

I used to take the Limeridge rt to school everyday as a kid. I think it was #15, but it's been a while. The Linc ended all that.

hamiltonguy
Jun 20, 2008, 3:32 AM
I used to take the Limeridge rt to school everyday as a kid. I think it was #15, but it's been a while. The Linc ended all that.

It was #45, replaced by the 43 Stone Church after the Linc was built.

I was just making sure that the guy who was talking about it being withdrawn for "lack of service" wasn't correct.

beanmedic
Jun 20, 2008, 6:18 AM

After the Linc was built. The original #45 Limeridge was shut down when the Linc was built. They brought it back for a couple of months (some time between 2000 and 2003). It basically ran down Limeridge, then cut down some side streets to get around the closed road. It also stopped at Macassa Lodge.

beanmedic
Jun 20, 2008, 6:24 AM
http://www.jncorporation.ca/hsr/images/45_limeridge_map.jpg

source: Hamilton Transit Photos http://www.jncorporation.ca/hsr/index.htm

matt602
Jun 20, 2008, 6:44 AM
That looks like it was a useful route.

SteelTown
Jun 20, 2008, 1:17 PM
Funny how HSR coverage is good for North-South service on the Mountain but crap for Lower Hamilton. Yet good East-West coverage for Lower Hamilton but crap for Mountain.

beanmedic
Jun 20, 2008, 3:56 PM
That looks like it was a useful route.

It was a fantastic route. But they needed to run it every 30 minutes 6am to midnight in order for people to start to really use it. People would have taken that bus all the time if it could be relied on.

raisethehammer
Jun 20, 2008, 4:21 PM
Funny how HSR coverage is good for North-South service on the Mountain but crap for Lower Hamilton. Yet good East-West coverage for Lower Hamilton but crap for Mountain.

that's because the system is geared around downtown.
I understand why, but it would be nice to have better N/S options downtown and E/W options on the Mountain.
I'm still waiting for more routes like 41 that go across the Mountain and down into the lower city. Why can't the Upp Wellington/Wentworth continue on to McMaster??
Or the 35-College continue onto Centre Mall? etc....

SteelTown
Jun 20, 2008, 4:33 PM
For the Rymal bus is it going from that Wal-Mart at Ancaster to the Wal-Mart at Upper Stoney Creek? Or is it from Meadowlands to Upper Stoney Creek?

raisethehammer
Jun 20, 2008, 4:40 PM
those stupid Walmarts. I'm going to be embarassed to live in a city where 1 bus route runs to TWO walmarts. geez.

SteelTown
Jun 20, 2008, 7:32 PM
I think it is going from one Wal-Mart to another Wal-Mart for the Rymal route. As Hammer Town said call it the Wal-Mart Route instead of Rymal and whatever number.

go_leafs_go02
Jun 20, 2008, 8:47 PM
Pretty sure Rymal route is only going as far as Glancaster Rd, and that's due to the tax system where the Ancaster residents don't pay as much, and because Glancaster Road is the border of Ancaster and Hamilton, the route will stop there. I find that stupid, at least extend it to Redeemer College down the road, the students there who are car-less must wait hours for a limited shuttle service, or walk 25 min one way to the 34 bus at Glancaster, or 20 minutes north to the Meadowlands.

Hammer Town
Jun 21, 2008, 1:51 AM
Both my Neighbours are HSR drives and they tell me its from Walmart to walmart. I don't think it matters that its in Ancaster just like it doesn't matter the other walmart is in Stoney Creek. Oh well atleast I can take a but to the Emarosa Karst Canservation area.

hamiltonguy
Jun 21, 2008, 2:01 AM
44 Rymal is pretty much just to connect people with the correct north-south routes.

mishap
Jun 21, 2008, 9:40 AM
For the Rymal bus is it going from that Wal-Mart at Ancaster to the Wal-Mart at Upper Stoney Creek? Or is it from Meadowlands to Upper Stoney Creek?
Year one is Glancaster to Pritchard. Year two is apparently east to Elfrida, but I haven't heard much on westward extensions.

mishap
Jun 22, 2008, 6:38 PM
While on the topic of downtown routes, I'd like to see a couple more routes adjusted. First off, I'd like to see the 8 York route extended beyond its current north-east terminus at York and Dundurn so it continues southbound down Dundurn, loops at the Hillcrest loop then back north along Dundurn to York to rejoin York's current westbound route. Dundurn would stand to benefit from bus service along its entire stretch.
You've got your east and wests backwards, but otherwise, I totally agree on that route idea. I've thought about that one myself. Residents along the York route don't have direct access to a supermarket, yet the route comes somewhat close to a major plaza.

I keep trying to come up with ways to change routes 7 and/or 6, but tight turns are usually the issue.

markbarbera
Jun 26, 2008, 2:56 PM
Oops, my directionally-challenged tendencies are exposed again! That's why you should never let me drive the bus, just ride on it!

Back to Wentowrth route, I assume the route is being reviewed during its first few months of operation. I wonder if any consideration was give to having it directly connect to downtown. I would like to see it continue along Stinson to Wellington, then north to Hunter, west on Hunter to MacNab, north to Main, then east on Main to Victoria, then it could pick up the northern leg of its current route. That would allow for direct connection to the downtown, and it could be timed to fill in the irregular gap between the 5/52 buses currently running west on Stinson towards downtown.

mishap
Jun 26, 2008, 4:31 PM
Back to Wentowrth route, I assume the route is being reviewed during its first few months of operation. I wonder if any consideration was give to having it directly connect to downtown.
Yes, it was considered. There's even the odd map out there showing the downtown version of the route. Why he plan was changed, I don't know. Maybe it was too hard to do in 30 minutes, or maybe there just wasn't enough space for layover where they wanted it.
I would like to see it continue along Stinson to Wellington, then north to Hunter, west on Hunter to MacNab, north to Main, then east on Main to Victoria, then it could pick up the northern leg of its current route. That would allow for direct connection to the downtown, and it could be timed to fill in the irregular gap between the 5/52 buses currently running west on Stinson towards downtown.
Wow, you are so close. The actual plan was to stay on Hunter to Bay, to York, to James. End-of-line would have been King and James. Outbound would be just as you described. Given the endpoint and the routing to reach it, I strongly suspect that the eventual plan was to interline this route with the 6/7/8 combination (or pair it off with one of those routes when 12 is running). That's my guess, anyway.

JoeyColeman
Jun 26, 2008, 9:39 PM
Pretty sure Rymal route is only going as far as Glancaster Rd, and that's due to the tax system where the Ancaster residents don't pay as much, and because Glancaster Road is the border of Ancaster and Hamilton, the route will stop there. I find that stupid, at least extend it to Redeemer College down the road, the students there who are car-less must wait hours for a limited shuttle service, or walk 25 min one way to the 34 bus at Glancaster, or 20 minutes north to the Meadowlands.

Agreed, they should run to Redeemer at least.
Right now, it is a bus route from nowhere to nowhere - how typical of the HSR.

The only thing better is having the Waterdown Bus service Aldershot GO during the morning rush when the trains leave Burlington GO.