PDA

View Full Version : [Halifax] The Roy Halifax | 71 m | 22 fl | Completed

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

OldDartmouthMark
Sep 4, 2014, 2:10 PM
tieing down the Vogue Building
photos from http://theroy.builthalifax.ca/
Drill
http://38.media.tumblr.com/e3e5d92fc86ef7b395ee842c58919228/tumblr_nb2s2j2Jp91skleqro1_500.jpg
Insert Tieback
http://38.media.tumblr.com/e5929725557b75160faa9e1a1e6a74e9/tumblr_nb9zpsx4zS1skleqro1_500.jpg

then Grout, tension, and bolt.

also heard starfish is trying to buy the little Mysteries building, current owner apparently doubled his price.

I'm guessing that stone foundation is part of the old Roy building? How does this tying down process work?

They sure don't build them like that anymore... can't help but imagine the hard work put in by the original builders as that would all have been done by hand.

Also, I noticed all the mortar on the face of the Vogue's bricks. It almost looks to me as they were trying to "glue" the walls together with mortar during the building process, or maybe it was just that the excess mortar couldn't be wiped due to the proximity of the Roy as they were laying bricks for the Vogue (D'Allard) building.

Great photos - thanks for sharing them with us!

Wondering if there has been any archeaological activity going on at the site? I'm sure below the Roy's foundation there would be a high chance of finding some 19th century (or earlier) artifacts.

Ziobrop
Sep 4, 2014, 6:15 PM
I'm guessing that stone foundation is part of the old Roy building? How does this tying down process work?

They sure don't build them like that anymore... can't help but imagine the hard work put in by the original builders as that would all have been done by hand.

Also, I noticed all the mortar on the face of the Vogue's bricks. It almost looks to me as they were trying to "glue" the walls together with mortar during the building process, or maybe it was just that the excess mortar couldn't be wiped due to the proximity of the Roy as they were laying bricks for the Vogue (D'Allard) building.

Great photos - thanks for sharing them with us!

Wondering if there has been any archeaological activity going on at the site? I'm sure below the Roy's foundation there would be a high chance of finding some 19th century (or earlier) artifacts.

i have a post coming on tiebacks on Builthalifax - its half written.
Basicly, you drill a hole, put the tieback in, grout it in place, then tension it with a hydrulic jack, and bolt a plate on. the tieback then anchors everything into the rock bellow.

there was an archeologist on site - he said they did boreholes, and found 2 voids. they were just soil - the rest of the roy sits right on bedrock.

as for the mortar - i believe its excess. it was all cleaned of the Johnston building, before it was re-parged on the shared wall.

OldDartmouthMark
Sep 4, 2014, 6:22 PM
i have a post coming on tiebacks on Builthalifax - its half written.
Basicly, you drill a hole, put the tieback in, grout it in place, then tension it with a hydrulic jack, and bolt a plate on. the tieback then anchors everything into the rock bellow.

there was an archeologist on site - he said they did boreholes, and found 2 voids. they were just soil - the rest of the roy sits right on bedrock.

as for the mortar - i believe its excess. it was all cleaned of the Johnston building, before it was re-parged on the shared wall.

Thanks! Looking forward to your post. :tup:

Really appreciate your info on this. As much as it pains me to see the building torn down, the info gained from its deconstruction gives us a window into building techniques of the past that would otherwise not be seen. :cheers:

Ziobrop
Sep 4, 2014, 7:13 PM
Thanks! Looking forward to your post. :tup:

Really appreciate your info on this. As much as it pains me to see the building torn down, the info gained from its deconstruction gives us a window into building techniques of the past that would otherwise not be seen. :cheers:

Here we go:
http://halifaxbloggers.ca/builthalifax/2014/09/digging-a-foundation/
expect it to expand/ be reworked.

I need to rework my concrete post - I have better non spanning slab photos.
http://halifaxbloggers.ca/builthalifax/2014/06/the-quick-guide-to-concrete-construction/

OldDartmouthMark
Sep 4, 2014, 7:21 PM
Here we go:
http://halifaxbloggers.ca/builthalifax/2014/09/digging-a-foundation/
expect it to expand/ be reworked.

I need to rework my concrete post - I have better non spanning slab photos.
http://halifaxbloggers.ca/builthalifax/2014/06/the-quick-guide-to-concrete-construction/

Excellent! Thanks! :tup:

Ziobrop
Sep 28, 2014, 2:12 AM
does anyone know when the DA Was signed? going through the thread, it was approved by council in may 2011, and expires in 3 years if construction of the parking levels hasent started, and if building permits arnt issued.

i was told they still don't have a general contractor (bird, elis don, PCL etc)chosen, and am thinking they dont have a lot of time left to get a hole dug and something started.

fenwick16
Sep 28, 2014, 3:36 PM
does anyone know when the DA Was signed? going through the thread, it was approved by council in may 2011, and expires in 3 years if construction of the parking levels hasent started, and if building permits arnt issued.

i was told they still don't have a general contractor (bird, elis don, PCL etc)chosen, and am thinking they dont have a lot of time left to get a hole dug and something started.

Reading through the original Development Agreement (DA) for this project, it requires that construction must begin within 3 years of the date of registration of the Agreement at the Registry of Deeds or Land Registry Office - http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/Dist12PAC/documents/RoyBuildingReport.pdf . Often the DA say that a project must start 3 years from the signing of the development agreement whereas this one is worded slightly differently. Does anyone know how to check to see when the agreement was registered at the Registry of Deeds or Land Registry Office?

counterfactual
Sep 28, 2014, 5:30 PM
Reading through the original Development Agreement (DA) for this project, it requires that construction must begin within 3 years of the date of registration of the Agreement at the Registry of Deeds or Land Registry Office - http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/Dist12PAC/documents/RoyBuildingReport.pdf . Often the DA say that a project must start 3 years from the signing of the development agreement whereas this one is worded slightly differently. Does anyone know how to check to see when the agreement was registered at the Registry of Deeds or Land Registry Office?

Reznick just registered it last week! :haha:

(I'm joking. I don't know).

hokus83
Sep 28, 2014, 8:02 PM
Do pre sales count? they seem really serious about this project I find it hard to believe they would just let the deadline slide and have this be scrapped .

And are you sure a general contractor haven't been hired yet. I've seen 6 or 7 people in construction outfits onsite in the last few days standing around talking.

Ziobrop
Sep 28, 2014, 9:08 PM
Do pre sales count? they seem really serious about this project I find it hard to believe they would just let the deadline slide and have this be scrapped .

And are you sure a general contractor haven't been hired yet. I've seen 6 or 7 people in construction outfits onsite in the last few days standing around talking.

I have a good source. As of Friday nothing was awarded.

IanWatson
Sep 29, 2014, 12:11 PM
Signed October 20th, 2011 and registered October 28th, 2011

Ziobrop
Sep 29, 2014, 12:27 PM
Signed October 20th, 2011 and registered October 28th, 2011

so if i understand the DA Correctly they have until October 28th to get permits, dig a hole and pour a footing.. or ask for an extension.

i don't think they have enough time... without an extension.

JET
Sep 29, 2014, 1:12 PM
so if i understand the DA Correctly they have until October 28th to get permits, dig a hole and pour a footing.. or ask for an extension.

i don't think they have enough time... without an extension.

Wouldn't the three Moes, with a couple of shovels, meet the start criteria? also, it shouldn't take them very long. :)

Keith P.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:15 PM
Wouldn't the three Moes, with a couple of shovels, meet the start criteria, also it shouldn't take them very long. :)

It's the Five Guys Named Moe, and they are all busy not finishing the Q Loft condos.

Ziobrop
Sep 29, 2014, 1:26 PM
Wouldn't the three Moes, with a couple of shovels, meet the start criteria? also, it shouldn't take them very long. :)

the DA reads start construction on the parking level. I guess technically starting the hole is Starting construction, though nothing is actually built...

I haven't seen new drawings either for the building, since the 2011 proposal.

JET
Sep 29, 2014, 2:10 PM
It's the Five Guys Named Moe, and they are all busy not finishing the Q Loft condos.

Too bad that they are 'busy' at Q; with five of them they'd be able to dig a pretty good hole, given a little bit of time.

Drybrain
Sep 29, 2014, 2:12 PM
The DA says "commencement of development shall mean the installation of the founding for the building."

But am I to understand from comments here that while they had a demolition permit for the original building, they didn't have a permit to begin construction on the new one, which is the cause for concern? That issuing permits will take too long for the Oct 28th deadline to be met?

(Anyway, I have to agree that while I'm curious as to what's going on, I find it pretty unlikely they'd take such a deliberate and circuitous route to get to this point, only to "Whoops, DA expired. Oh well." Maybe it's just ego: They assume, probably correctly that the city isn't going to deny them an extension of the agreement if they ask for it, especially now that the original Roy is gone.)

OldDartmouthMark
Sep 29, 2014, 2:55 PM
So if the old DA expires, what does that mean? A new DA has to be approved? Perhaps one where there is no longer a requirement for original materials to be used in the new façade, since it was "accidentally" disposed of?

I dunno, it all sounds a little strange to me. I'm sure there is a good explanation.

halifaxboyns
Sep 29, 2014, 3:50 PM
I thought there was an extension of the DA? I remember there being a decision by Council to do so and wasn't it appealed by our friends at the HT? Or was it one of the dt developer?

Ziobrop
Sep 29, 2014, 4:38 PM
im not aware of an extension - and starfish explicitly wrote a letter against extending the DA for the discovery center - basically saying they were ready to go, and it would be unfair if they stalled for 2 more years.

Both these projects are PRE HRMxD. therefore if the DA Expires, they have to start over from scratch.

Ziobrop
Sep 29, 2014, 4:40 PM
http://38.media.tumblr.com/a014729f62ccdbf3e4b270e1976eb7e7/tumblr_nco7sv1Ain1skleqro1_500.jpg

See those studs? thats the backside of the interior wall of the back end of the little mysteries building. there is apparently no exterior cladding on that wall. All that remains will be removed by hand.

fun..

fenwick16
Sep 30, 2014, 1:17 AM
the DA reads start construction on the parking level. I guess technically starting the hole is Starting construction, though nothing is actually built...

I haven't seen new drawings either for the building, since the 2011 proposal.

There are floor plans and fairly detailed renderings on The Roy website - http://theroyhalifax.com/floorplans.php. Also, according to their website they have an interior design company hired (Union 31) and architect (Page + Steele IBI Group Architects).

Duff
Sep 30, 2014, 1:24 PM
One from yesterday.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2943/15214551209_006bd801dd_h.jpg

OldDartmouthMark
Sep 30, 2014, 3:10 PM
http://38.media.tumblr.com/a014729f62ccdbf3e4b270e1976eb7e7/tumblr_nco7sv1Ain1skleqro1_500.jpg

See those studs? thats the backside of the interior wall of the back end of the little mysteries building. there is apparently no exterior cladding on that wall. All that remains will be removed by hand.

fun..

Yikes! Looks like when they built the addition at the rear of the building, they just butted up against the old brick wall of The Roy, which means the roof must have been sealed to The Roy as well. The older section in front obviously has exterior cladding and was built before The Roy (the signage is an obvious clue), but I wonder when the addition was built... seems like a hokey way to do it at first, but upon further thought there would be no way to add exterior cladding when building right up to the brick like this. Do you know if they are now going to add exterior cladding to the wood structure, or is the new Roy replacement going to be built right up to the existing?

Which makes me wonder about lot boundaries and legalities, etc.: How does this work, building right up to the lot line and actually attaching your building to your neighbor's? Seems like there could be insurance or legal issues if one building causes a problem with a shared wall, etc. (Looks like the same thing is happening with the old Tip Top building lot.)

Interesting, it's something I've never really given much thought to, although it is a practice that has been happening around the world for centuries.

Thanks for posting, most of us would never see details like this otherwise. :tup:

Ziobrop
Sep 30, 2014, 4:17 PM
Yikes! Looks like when they built the addition at the rear of the building, they just butted up against the old brick wall of The Roy, which means the roof must have been sealed to The Roy as well. The older section in front obviously has exterior cladding and was built before The Roy (the signage is an obvious clue), but I wonder when the addition was built... seems like a hokey way to do it at first, but upon further thought there would be no way to add exterior cladding when building right up to the brick like this. Do you know if they are now going to add exterior cladding to the wood structure, or is the new Roy replacement going to be built right up to the existing?

Which makes me wonder about lot boundaries and legalities, etc.: How does this work, building right up to the lot line and actually attaching your building to your neighbor's? Seems like there could be insurance or legal issues if one building causes a problem with a shared wall, etc. (Looks like the same thing is happening with the old Tip Top building lot.)

Interesting, it's something I've never really given much thought to, although it is a practice that has been happening around the world for centuries.

Thanks for posting, most of us would never see details like this otherwise. :tup:

I understand the UK has all kinds of rules about party walls. Not sure about Canada - But they are an issue, for example, in the 12 Apostles, where there is a solid shared masonry wall separating units.

in the case of 1592 barrington, the 2way spanning slab was supported by columns, and then a cinderblock wall built on the inside to enclose it. i suspect there is probably an inch or 2 between it and its neighbors.

OldDartmouthMark
Sep 30, 2014, 6:36 PM
I understand the UK has all kinds of rules about party walls. Not sure about Canada - But they are an issue, for example, in the 12 Apostles, where there is a solid shared masonry wall separating units.

in the case of 1592 barrington, the 2way spanning slab was supported by columns, and then a cinderblock wall built on the inside to enclose it. i suspect there is probably an inch or 2 between it and its neighbors.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

OldDartmouthMark
Oct 6, 2014, 6:14 PM
Ran across this video of former tenants talking about the Roy building:

http://globalnews.ca/video/1222265/remembering-the-roy-building/

It occurred to me that this is exactly what someone123 and others have talked about in the past - where these older buildings offer an option for smaller businesses to have a low-cost way to keep their businesses in the downtown area. Couldn't help but wonder where those 80-ish businesses have been forced to move, now that this is being turned into a residence for the rich.

Where will businesses like this go... to the business/industrial parks? To strip malls? :shrug:

Drybrain
Oct 6, 2014, 7:12 PM
Ran across this video of former tenants talking about the Roy building:

http://globalnews.ca/video/1222265/remembering-the-roy-building/

It occurred to me that this is exactly what someone123 and others have talked about in the past - where these older buildings offer an option for smaller businesses to have a low-cost way to keep their businesses in the downtown area. Couldn't help but wonder where those 80-ish businesses have been forced to move, now that this is being turned into a residence for the rich.

Where will businesses like this go... to the business/industrial parks? To strip malls? :shrug:

Hopefully no further than the North End or inner Dartmouth. It sucks to see businesses/artists/etc. pushed out, but I feel like part of the reason a building like the Roy was so full of these businesses was because of decades of downtown dereliction that led to cheap, cheap rents—enabling these uses right on our downtown main street. As downtown gets ritzier (as a downtown should be) hopefully these businesses—which are definitely crucial to the vitality of the city—will find a home in the North End or Dartmouth. They'll manage to stay alive and provide some more activity and vitality in those neighbourhoods.

There's nothing of the Roy's size in the North End, but if you walk around the area, there's a lot of interesting conversion of old autobody shops and warehouses and the like into workspaces and small-scale businesses. (I know, I know—gentrification will inevitably push them out too. But hopefully a better equilibrium can be reached in non-downtown, still-central neighbourhoods.)

hokus83
Oct 6, 2014, 8:32 PM
Hopefully no further than the North End or inner Dartmouth. It sucks to see businesses/artists/etc. pushed out, but I feel like part of the reason a building like the Roy was so full of these businesses was because of decades of downtown dereliction that led to cheap, cheap rents—enabling these uses right on our downtown main street. As downtown gets ritzier (as a downtown should be) hopefully these businesses—which are definitely crucial to the vitality of the city—will find a home in the North End or Dartmouth. They'll manage to stay alive and provide some more activity and vitality in those neighbourhoods.

There's nothing of the Roy's size in the North End, but if you walk around the area, there's a lot of interesting conversion of old autobody shops and warehouses and the like into workspaces and small-scale businesses. (I know, I know—gentrification will inevitably push them out too. But hopefully a better equilibrium can be reached in non-downtown, still-central neighbourhoods.)

I know for a fact a dozen of them or so stayed downtown and a few stayed on Barrington st in some other buildings

OldDartmouthMark
Oct 6, 2014, 8:53 PM
I know for a fact a dozen of them or so stayed downtown and a few stayed on Barrington st in some other buildings

Cool! That's good to hear. :tup:

Colin May
Oct 6, 2014, 8:58 PM
Cool! That's good to hear. :tup:

Many of the tenants were charities and eventually they moved to more modern premises.

OldDartmouthMark
Oct 6, 2014, 8:59 PM

Good points, but it has often been mentioned here that a balance of high-priced ritzy/flagship residences/office buildings and older, lower-priced places is a good recipe for a vibrant downtown.

Sounds like we still have enough lower-priced stuff to maintain that. You guys know more than I do about this, I was just wondering how 80 businesses become displaced without some negative effect.

hokus83
Oct 6, 2014, 10:20 PM
Many of the tenants were charities and eventually they moved to more modern premises.

Well Mr Never been to this city in his life. A few of them were high level modeling photo studios, marketing and design studios, branding company.

Does Anyone know what is going on with the ROY building yet. Has anyone thought to walk in and ask if they are going to meet the deadline

fenwick16
Oct 7, 2014, 1:39 AM
Does Anyone know what is going on with the ROY building yet. Has anyone thought to walk in and ask if they are going to meet the deadline

I just read through the original development agreement from November 18th, 2009 and a change in commencement of development is a Non-Substantive amendment as long as the Municipality receives a written request from the developer within 60 days of the expiry of commencement date. The following is stated in section 6.3.3: (source: http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/Dist12PAC/documents/RoyBuildingReport.pdf)

6.3.3 For purpose of this section, Council may consider granting an extension of the commencement of development time period through a resolution under section 5.2, if the Municipality receives a written request from Developer at least sixty (60) calendar days prior to the expiry of the commencement of development time period.

And back in section 5.2 the Development Agreement states:

5.2 Non-Substantive Amendments

The following items are considered by both parties to be not substantive and may be amended by resolution of Council (for greater certainty, these items do not include changes which, in the opinion of the Development Officer, are generally in conformance with the plans attached as Schedules B-O):
i) Changes to the date of commencement of development specified in Section 6.3; and
j) Changes to date of completion of development specified in Section 6.4

Other items that are considered to be non-substantive are exterior architectural appearance, landscaping requirements, sign requirements ... It seems as though a short extension (few months) might not be difficult to obtain if the necessary letter was sent within 60 days of the deadline. Being non-substantive I assume it wouldn't require a vote in Council?

JET
Oct 7, 2014, 12:29 PM
Well Mr Never been to this city in his life. A few of them were high level modeling photo studios, marketing and design studios, branding company.

There was a broad mix in the Roy, nonprofits, forprofits, independent professionals sharing offices. Most had plenty of notice and gradually found new space to relocate.

Drybrain
Oct 7, 2014, 1:15 PM
Other items that are considered to be non-substantive are exterior architectural appearance, landscaping requirements, sign requirements ... It seems as though a short extension (few months) might not be difficult to obtain if the necessary letter was sent within 60 days of the deadline. Being non-substantive I assume it wouldn't require a vote in Council?

It sure says something that "exterior architectural appearance" is considered "non substantive," doesn't it?

OldDartmouthMark
Oct 7, 2014, 3:01 PM
It sure says something that "exterior architectural appearance" is considered "non substantive," doesn't it?

Yes it does. Explains a lot of things too. :sly:

ILoveHalifax
Oct 7, 2014, 3:39 PM
With any luck they will forget how the Roy Bldg looked and start with a totally new design.

OldDartmouthMark
Oct 7, 2014, 4:04 PM
With any luck they will forget how the Roy Bldg looked and start with a totally new design.

Booo! Hissss! :haha:

I expect the final result will probably be somewhere in the middle of the two, but here's hoping for a good result, one way or another.

fenwick16
Oct 10, 2014, 9:35 PM
I noticed this picture on Ziobrop's tumblr page - http://theroy.builthalifax.ca/post/99659352128 and I wondered if it is part of the demolition clean-up or part of the foundation excavation? Maybe they are going to quickly dig 8 - 10 feet below the Granville Street level and install part of the first parking level foundation? That would count as the start of installation of the foundation.

Hopefully it is part of the excavation.

Jonovision
Oct 11, 2014, 7:05 PM
Grabbed these this afternoon. Work has started on the digging for the footings.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/96b54375bc71e7186d856e12f2c6299f/tumblr_ndan4puEvN1sk8kjeo1_1280.jpg

https://38.media.tumblr.com/24ce14aaf2a41e2f9ca36070ec377e7b/tumblr_ndan5kgvgh1sk8kjeo1_1280.jpg

fenwick16
Oct 11, 2014, 8:56 PM
Grabbed these this afternoon. Work has started on the digging for the footings.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/96b54375bc71e7186d856e12f2c6299f/tumblr_ndan4puEvN1sk8kjeo1_1280.jpg

https://38.media.tumblr.com/24ce14aaf2a41e2f9ca36070ec377e7b/tumblr_ndan5kgvgh1sk8kjeo1_1280.jpg

That is great news since it shows that construction will be going ahead soon and also they will meet the Oct 28th deadline for commencement of installation of the foundations (3 years from registration of the development agreement).

I am surprised that the open studded wall hasn't been covered up - certainly rain will leak in through the studded wall. I wonder who is responsible for protecting it against the weather - Starfish or the building owner?

fenwick16
Oct 22, 2014, 9:57 PM
It is a good thing the Starfish Properties bought the Little Mysteries building at 1663 Barrington Street (according to allnovascotia.com in the Oct 21st, 2014 edition). Now they can seal off the exterior studded wall from the elements as shown in this picture by Ziobrop - http://38.media.tumblr.com/5417b728a645cb0dd8f1bef52d081e81/tumblr_ndswt6FnOW1skleqro1_1280.jpg

Ziobrop
Oct 23, 2014, 12:21 AM
found out the general contractor was awarded today. I'd expect some sine age in a few days
Update:
There was an Ellis Don Site office sign inside the Little Mysteries building when i walked by this morning.

ILoveHalifax
Oct 26, 2014, 1:52 PM
I was by The Roy on Granville St and it appears they have started excavation.

Ziobrop
Oct 26, 2014, 7:24 PM
I was by The Roy on Granville St and it appears they have started excavation.

Maybee. There was a below grade mech room they filled with rubble. I think they were just digging that out..

counterfactual
Oct 27, 2014, 3:53 AM
Maybee. There was a below grade mech room they filled with rubble. I think they were just digging that out..

Have they awarded the contract yet for the building?

counterfactual
Oct 27, 2014, 3:58 AM
It is a good thing the Starfish Properties bought the Little Mysteries building at 1663 Barrington Street (according to allnovascotia.com in the Oct 21st, 2014 edition). Now they can seal off the exterior studded wall from the elements as shown in this picture by Ziobrop - http://38.media.tumblr.com/5417b728a645cb0dd8f1bef52d081e81/tumblr_ndswt6FnOW1skleqro1_1280.jpg

I wish they would buy the Tramway building. That looks like a complete and total eyesore. And it seems like it's all about a long grudge as between the previous owner Morris Strug and Starfish:

http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/226052/demolition-building-appeal-to-be-decided-next-week/

http://www.thecoast.ca/RealityBites/archives/2012/04/26/tip-top-tussle

IMHO, Strug is the blame for letting Tramway go to hell. Council should pass a resolution rebuking the owners for this ugly mess.

Ziobrop
Oct 27, 2014, 12:42 PM
Have they awarded the contract yet for the building?

Yes (look a few posts up)
Ellis Don appears to be setting up a project office in Little Mysteries.

TheLittleGuy
Oct 29, 2014, 6:53 PM
Here's an idea for a quick fix for the tower that wouldn't require any major changes to the design... just changes to the cladding. The idea is, keep the central portion of the tower in brick and make the rest all glass... so the glass wraps around to the front. It would look like two intersecting towers, a glass rectangle intersected by a brick square. While you're at it... take the idea of the two intersecting towers a little further by making the central brick tower a little higher. I also made the brick darker to differentiate it from the Roy building below.

Anyway, these are just quick ideas and my Photoshop'd file here was done in like... 10 minutes... VERY rough and just meant to illustrate what I'm trying to say rather than being taken as a fully thought out design proposal. If it were my building... I would get the architect to start over.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/TakeoK/roy-2.jpg

It would be nice if it was increased to 44 floors, really be a beacon for development in the city, make the city skyline shine like other great cities

Ziobrop
Dec 2, 2014, 2:02 PM
Excavation has started. Looks like they plan to chip away at it 6' at a time, then install additional tiebacks under the vogue and little mysteries buildings.

From http://theroy.builthalifax.ca (http://theroy.builthalifax.ca/):
http://41.media.tumblr.com/69f9433bf4cf54adeab4bdd075297c37/tumblr_nfykabXq1D1skleqro1_1280.jpg

Keith P.
Dec 2, 2014, 2:58 PM
The noise from that will be fun (not) over the next while...

kph06
Dec 2, 2014, 7:13 PM
Looks like they just plan on using a ripper to remove the rock instead of a breaker? If so this will be a long process, I hope they don’t have much excavation. I suppose blasting is out of the question considering the precarious state of the Vogue building, but maybe the vibration of a hydraulic rock breaker is too much as well? That Cat 374 is has been used lately by Dexter with a hydraulic rock breaker, I’ve never seen it with a ripper on until now.

Ziobrop
Dec 2, 2014, 8:00 PM
Looks like they just plan on using a ripper to remove the rock instead of a breaker? If so this will be a long process, I hope they don’t have much excavation. I suppose blasting is out of the question considering the precarious state of the Vogue building, but maybe the vibration of a hydraulic rock breaker is too much as well? That Cat 374 is has been used lately by Dexter with a hydraulic rock breaker, I’ve never seen it with a ripper on until now.

there are large and small breakers on site. (just not attached to equipment)
im sure they will be used once they get down to more solid rock.

Haligonian88
Dec 2, 2014, 10:21 PM
Given that the parking is on something like floors 5, 6, and 7, I would hope they don't have to excavate too much.

Jonovision
Dec 17, 2014, 11:15 PM
They were using an interesting weighted pick today to tear up the bedrock. It's more friendly on the ears than the usual jackhammers.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/2b3b3fadc37dfc12d6e14b3d383c7015/tumblr_ngr0ciFGDC1sk8kjeo1_1280.jpg

Ziobrop
Jan 8, 2015, 7:44 PM
Digging, Slowly. From http://theroy.builthalifax.ca/
http://40.media.tumblr.com/da86667e264488b7999cd211858f4bcf/tumblr_nhrm61YIJn1skleqro1_500.jpg

lawsond
Jan 9, 2015, 3:42 AM
Time to change "Approved" to "U/C"? Who does these mysterious things?

Ziobrop
Feb 21, 2015, 6:40 AM
Digging is tentatively schedule d to be finished March 31. This suggests it's not a deep hole. Iirc original plans only had 2 levels bellow grade.

fenwick16
Feb 21, 2015, 2:26 PM
Digging is tentatively schedule d to be finished March 31. This suggests it's not a deep hole. Iirc original plans only had 2 levels bellow grade.

Thanks for the information Ziobrop. Hopefully this means that we will see a crane by April.

I checked the development agreement and the new Roy building will have three parking levels below Barrington Street (25' 6" below the Barrington Street grade) and one parking level below Granville Street (25.5' - 16.1' = 8.4' below the Granville Street grade). This is from Schedule M of the development agreement - https://www.halifax.ca/Council/agendasc/documents/110412ca1117iv.pdf

Ziobrop
Feb 27, 2015, 5:31 PM
looks like the base pad for the crane base is being poured today.
Concrete - they have started!

From: http://theroy.builthalifax.ca/ (http://theroy.builthalifax.ca/):
http://40.media.tumblr.com/3b79e14ceb8772311bd8c13e3ec37b8d/tumblr_nkfwj2hbVx1skleqro1_500.jpg

fenwick16
Feb 27, 2015, 10:27 PM
looks like the base pad for the crane base is being poured today.
Concrete - they have started!

From: http://theroy.builthalifax.ca/ (http://theroy.builthalifax.ca/):
http://40.media.tumblr.com/3b79e14ceb8772311bd8c13e3ec37b8d/tumblr_nkfwj2hbVx1skleqro1_500.jpg

Great news!!!

I like this close-up view that you have posted also :tup: - http://theroy.builthalifax.ca/post/112237471743

I wonder which will be the first project to top out - The Maple, The Roy or the Nova Centre? My guess is The Roy since they have fewer underground levels. Maybe The Roy will top out before the end of 2015.

There will be a lot of concrete mixer trucks in downtown Halifax in 2015!

Ziobrop
Mar 3, 2015, 1:17 PM
WE HAVE CRANE BASE!
from http://theroy.builthalifax.ca/
http://41.media.tumblr.com/7f4f3aff894bf533269f33dbef888852/tumblr_nkn0uuKKb21skleqro1_500.jpg

Jonovision
Mar 3, 2015, 5:35 PM
From their Twitter feed.

"The first crane is going up! Very soon, The Roy Halifax site will have the two largest cranes in the Maritimes, working on building the most luxurious condos ever built in Halifax!"

OldDartmouthMark
Mar 3, 2015, 5:51 PM
From their Twitter feed.

"The first crane is going up! Very soon, The Roy Halifax site will have the two largest cranes in the Maritimes, working on building the most luxurious condos ever built in Halifax!"

Cool... I mean it's a shame that significant parts of The Roy weren't salvaged, but seeing this project start is cool nonetheless. This should be a really interesting project to watch, and potentially one that could really change this part of Barrington, for a number of reasons.

Thanks for the updates, all!

someone123
Mar 4, 2015, 2:50 AM
Cool... I mean it's a shame that significant parts of The Roy weren't salvaged, but seeing this project start is cool nonetheless. This should be a really interesting project to watch, and potentially one that could really change this part of Barrington, for a number of reasons.

This project is interesting. I liked the old building, and maybe it would have been better had it been saved and had the new condo gone elsewhere, but there is nevertheless a chance that this building will be better than what it replaced. The new building might have a lot of character too; the jury's still out.

I think a certain degree of knee-jerk anti-demolition sentiment comes from the fact that so many terrible buildings were constructed from around 1950-2010 in Halifax. If new buildings were guaranteed to be much higher in quality and more attractive than whatever they replaced I would still want some older buildings (or elements of older buildings) to be preserved as a link to the past, but I think I'd be less worried about a lot of demolition. The Roy redevelopment might move us a little closer to this situation. We'll see.

Empire
Mar 4, 2015, 3:20 PM
From their Twitter feed.

Will they be full height or are they jackable?

Jonovision
Mar 4, 2015, 4:55 PM
Will they be full height or are they jackable?

I'm not sure. This is all that was posted on their site. I sent a message asking more though.

I would assume they would be jackable as 24 floors is high for a crane without having an anchor to a building.

The green one is right up against Barrington.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/fded37d113354df5109406fb6aae0c4d/tumblr_nkno9m4YMS1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

kph06
Mar 13, 2015, 11:11 AM
Starting today and continuing over the weekend I think we should see the cranes go up.

Ziobrop
Mar 13, 2015, 12:17 PM
Starting today and continuing over the weekend I think we should see the cranes go up.

yep.
They brought in AW liel's 500ton to do it too.
Photo's from http://theroy.builthalifax.ca/

http://40.media.tumblr.com/0311af2ecaf369f1421c8f0e0d0517cd/tumblr_nl5gq9bj1k1skleqro1_500.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/e8346e6a95370fcca11b293c62d971b7/tumblr_nl5gpqSNIe1skleqro1_500.jpg

Ziobrop
Mar 13, 2015, 3:22 PM
some assembly required, today they are putting together the crane, that they will then use to put together the cranes. the 500ton is getting a lattice boom jib, presumably for the height and reach to Barrington.

http://36.media.tumblr.com/aac3438d2206065d6941f16738ab5349/tumblr_nl5oujp5RZ1skleqro1_500.jpg

kph06
Mar 13, 2015, 4:49 PM
I wonder how far they will get this weekend if all day today is spent on the jib for mobile crane. I don't think I'd want to be assembling a tower crane in a potential blizzard Sunday.

Empire
Mar 14, 2015, 2:09 PM
A couple of pics of the Roy crane assembly from this morning.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/IMG_6094_zpshjef4cza.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/user/empire1_2007/media/IMG_6094_zpshjef4cza.jpg.html)
Empire

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/IMG_6095_zpsg4gkts5t.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/user/empire1_2007/media/IMG_6095_zpsg4gkts5t.jpg.html)
Empire

Jonovision
Mar 14, 2015, 3:11 PM
It is a very impressive mobile crane.

https://41.media.tumblr.com/82a4dda21e81f620fd3e459be057c149/tumblr_nl77e2wAdT1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://40.media.tumblr.com/92b5125996227e425f019e9bf67e3cbe/tumblr_nl77h6DTJc1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

You get a good view of the work happening on the Nova Centre webcam as well.

terrynorthend
Mar 14, 2015, 3:46 PM

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/IMG_6094_zpshjef4cza.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/user/empire1_2007/media/IMG_6094_zpshjef4cza.jpg.html)
Empire

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/IMG_6095_zpsg4gkts5t.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/user/empire1_2007/media/IMG_6095_zpsg4gkts5t.jpg.html)
Empire

That's an enormous jib!

Ziobrop
Mar 14, 2015, 4:55 PM
I was told the cranes are going to be 26 stories all at once

fenwick16
Mar 14, 2015, 5:02 PM

Empire

It is good to see a picture from the water.

The Roy will be quite noticeable from this perspective when completed. It will be 234 feet (71 m) above Barrington Street and 250 feet (76 m) above Granville Street (source: https://www.halifax.ca/Council/agendasc/documents/110412ca1117iv.pdf). That will make it about 25 - 30 meters above the Centennial Building at 1660 Hollis Street, which is listed as 51 meters on the Emporis website (I am not sure if that height is from the Hollis Street elevation or an average height) - http://www.emporis.com/buildings/113464/centennial-building-halifax-canada. So I would guess that about 7-8 floors of the Roy Building will be visible above the Centennial Building (which is the white tower between Founders Square and the tall mobile crane). It will be about 10 meters taller than the CIBC tower on the right of the picture.

someone123
Mar 14, 2015, 9:12 PM
Thanks for all the great pictures.

Looks like the boom is being assembled for one of the cranes now, and it does seem to be at full height. For whatever reason, I never really thought of this one being very tall or visible in the skyline because of the buildings in behind. Looks like it'll be significantly taller than the Centennial Building though.

http://images.novascotiawebcams.com/novacentre/2015/03/14/21/novacentre_20150314-211035_OJJx9cabVO3NXmt1.jpg
http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/nova-centre/

fenwick16
Mar 15, 2015, 6:45 AM
Thanks for all the great pictures.

Looks like the boom is being assembled for one of the cranes now, and it does seem to be at full height. For whatever reason, I never really thought of this one being very tall or visible in the skyline because of the buildings in behind. Looks like it'll be significantly taller than the Centennial Building though.

http://images.novascotiawebcams.com/novacentre/2015/03/14/21/novacentre_20150314-211035_OJJx9cabVO3NXmt1.jpg
http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/nova-centre/

Likewise, I didn't think this would be a significant building on the skyline but looking through the development agreement it shows that the Roy Building will be approximately 250 feet (76 meters) above Granville Street, so it will be a similar height to the redeveloped TD Centre (the TD Centre is shown as being 80 meters above Granville Street in this document - http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/hac/documents/H00356Attachments.pdf). Interestingly, the development agreement for the Roy Building - https://www.halifax.ca/Council/agendasc/documents/110412ca1117iv.pdf - states that the developer will provide "surveyor verification that the building will not exceed the height restriction in relation to views over the Citadel ramparts" so it appears as though they can go to the ramparts maximum just as the TD Centre did.

Looking at the model image below (Granville Street side) and comparing the development agreements for the Roy Building and TD Centre, the Roy Building tower is significantly wider than the TD Centre tower (about 150 feet versus 90 feet).

(source: Hali87 image - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=6574327&postcount=499)
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2930/13984152097_c5506d4e1a.jpg

As a sidenote, when the elevation above sea level is taken into account, the tallest point of the Nova Centre will be at about the same height above sea level as the TD Centre, Roy Building and 1801 Hollis Street. So the Roy Building and Nova Centre will significantly change the skyline. (source for the Nova Centre heights - http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/130910ca11113.pdf)

Jonovision
Mar 15, 2015, 10:08 PM
I knew this would have a good impact on the skyline but I don't know if I quite realized how big it would loom on Barrington. And not necessarily in a bad way. This new crane just gives a hint of this.
I went a bit trigger happy with my phone.

And there are parts on site for the second crane, so we should see that go up tomorrow if all is clear weather wise.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/10e83d0326e6c45525d9f21acd5314b2/tumblr_nl9owojuD41sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/6f1e03ab678b39874acd92f7fa48949d/tumblr_nl7wtjOOdz1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://40.media.tumblr.com/b48399a7e7da9418066a07f076153503/tumblr_nl9owvJSEF1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/9d9f61f13670af2e808fc0a172e9daf7/tumblr_nl9ox8rlTc1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/ec51b647e86de391d95f21f2fbf04965/tumblr_nl9oxt7mHY1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://40.media.tumblr.com/a85b025eaea0ab840578ff8fc33e576d/tumblr_nl9oyomW9f1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://40.media.tumblr.com/c40e086ecb612cecff36dc4532f7fd8d/tumblr_nl9ozxiz9X1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/e8b84ab8887e7b3ff6cd05ee9eb3c964/tumblr_nl9p04vIvR1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/ee438f46e938fc549c30797f77102dc3/tumblr_nl9p4b3KOi1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

fenwick16
Mar 15, 2015, 10:38 PM
I knew this would have a good impact on the skyline but I don't know if I quite realized how big it would loom on Barrington. And not necessarily in a bad way. This new crane just gives a hint of this.
I went a bit trigger happy with my phone.

And there are parts on site for the second crane, so we should see that go up tomorrow if all is clear weather wise.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/10e83d0326e6c45525d9f21acd5314b2/tumblr_nl9owojuD41sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/6f1e03ab678b39874acd92f7fa48949d/tumblr_nl7wtjOOdz1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://40.media.tumblr.com/b48399a7e7da9418066a07f076153503/tumblr_nl9owvJSEF1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/9d9f61f13670af2e808fc0a172e9daf7/tumblr_nl9ox8rlTc1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/ec51b647e86de391d95f21f2fbf04965/tumblr_nl9oxt7mHY1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://40.media.tumblr.com/a85b025eaea0ab840578ff8fc33e576d/tumblr_nl9oyomW9f1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://40.media.tumblr.com/c40e086ecb612cecff36dc4532f7fd8d/tumblr_nl9ozxiz9X1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/e8b84ab8887e7b3ff6cd05ee9eb3c964/tumblr_nl9p04vIvR1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/ee438f46e938fc549c30797f77102dc3/tumblr_nl9p4b3KOi1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

It is good to see the crane from so many different perspectives as it gives an idea of the impact that the tower will have.

The weather didn't look too bad either. Some of the Nova Scotia webcam locations showed blizzard-like weather earlier in the day. PS: Maybe these pictures were taken on Saturday before the snow hit (except the last one with the boom attached which I think must be from Sunday).

worldlyhaligonian
Mar 15, 2015, 11:43 PM
Looming is definitely a good thing on this forum... we don't like human scale... we (most of us) like tall and dense urban environments that are vibrant and bring people downtown... not environmentally unfriendly, car-friendly, sprawl (which for, whatever reason, the environment people actually contribute to!).

The Roy will add to the canyon effect here... can't wait to see it complete.

alps
Mar 16, 2015, 2:12 AM
Thanks for all the pics!

I don't think "human scale" and "tall and dense" are necessarily mutually exclusive. It depends on how the towers meet the street. There are a lot of tall buildings I dislike because they deaden the streets with towering blank walls.

Stepbacks and storefronts help a lot. As long as the podium levels maintain human scale and variety I don't think people generally even notice what's going on above.

Ziobrop
Mar 16, 2015, 12:20 PM
Snow and wind(today) have delayed the second Crane going in.
the 500 is Sleeping.

F%$k its big. it covers pretty much the Whole block. As Always, from http://theroy.builthalifax.ca/

http://40.media.tumblr.com/0cbaf2b5f17c6848846a88061b9d9a9c/tumblr_nlb0qrc1gX1skleqro1_1280.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/11f392593a0f4cf05e48699324537870/tumblr_nlb0qk3WAH1skleqro1_1280.jpg

Also, grabbed this on Saturday.
http://36.media.tumblr.com/74a04a0d25076c6ed36246360df32a10/tumblr_nl7v1r3XKL1skleqro1_1280.jpg

OldDartmouthMark
Mar 16, 2015, 4:19 PM
Thanks for all the pics!

I don't think "human scale" and "tall and dense" are necessarily mutually exclusive. It depends on how the towers meet the street. There are a lot of tall buildings I dislike because they deaden the streets with towering blank walls.

Stepbacks and storefronts help a lot. As long as the podium levels maintain human scale and variety I don't think people generally even notice what's going on above.

That's how I view it.

I personally don't think the "canyon effect" is a desirable outcome to shoot for. Maybe years ago when I wanted to be impressed by all that was big, new and wonderful, but experience has tempered the desire for superlatives, and I now desire a more balanced effect. Big and imposing doesn't impress anymore - well thought-out and well executed does. :2cents:

kph06
Mar 17, 2015, 1:10 AM
Snow and wind(today) have delayed the second Crane going in.
the 500 is Sleeping.

F%$k its big. it covers pretty much the Whole block. As Always, from http://theroy.builthalifax.ca/

http://40.media.tumblr.com/0cbaf2b5f17c6848846a88061b9d9a9c/tumblr_nlb0qrc1gX1skleqro1_1280.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/11f392593a0f4cf05e48699324537870/tumblr_nlb0qk3WAH1skleqro1_1280.jpg

Also, grabbed this on Saturday.
http://36.media.tumblr.com/74a04a0d25076c6ed36246360df32a10/tumblr_nl7v1r3XKL1skleqro1_1280.jpg

I walked by tonight, this thing truly is a beast, seeing it person is something else. It makes the other crane which looks to be a 90-110 ton crane look like a dinky toy.

Jonovision
Mar 17, 2015, 3:29 PM
Another sunny day and another crane going up! Hopefully they can get it all done before the storm comes later today.

https://41.media.tumblr.com/05706accad9540657462705a53024c53/tumblr_nlcyipoDlO1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://40.media.tumblr.com/3426d448dfbd398ddd7f9d6596efaeb6/tumblr_nlcykqkj1u1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://40.media.tumblr.com/8bc2a72abf98203b7d44c59c8b831b41/tumblr_nlcykve5In1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://40.media.tumblr.com/70685288f4ef8dfce51af70ed81b7e12/tumblr_nlcyl5aJfg1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/32e97e9b1dabe6bf95b930910bc74e03/tumblr_nlcyl92FCN1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

Jonovision
Mar 17, 2015, 3:30 PM
This one is only going up to half of the height of the first from what I can tell on the webcam. Will grab more pics on the way home and post them tomorrow.

kph06
Mar 17, 2015, 4:36 PM
I think I've seen the climbing mechanism for these cranes in Omega's yard. I assume they will either jack the shorter one up or take it down at that point.

Ziobrop
Mar 17, 2015, 5:36 PM
they packed in in early today, presumably to secure for heavy weather.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/25ef8a8f966b2c524105bd7707ae857a/tumblr_nld84ceTmM1sjmfgco1_1280.jpg

Empire
Mar 17, 2015, 10:40 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/IMG_20150317_114355_zpsc2vswtiy.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/user/empire1_2007/media/IMG_20150317_114355_zpsc2vswtiy.jpg.html)
Empire:

Jonovision
Mar 19, 2015, 2:59 PM
Snowy downtown.

https://41.media.tumblr.com/19c64fe7590d9e2c25fb06a4ed007f0e/tumblr_nlfeyzs8TO1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

worldlyhaligonian
Mar 19, 2015, 10:03 PM
That's how I view it.

I personally don't think the "canyon effect" is a desirable outcome to shoot for. Maybe years ago when I wanted to be impressed by all that was big, new and wonderful, but experience has tempered the desire for superlatives, and I now desire a more balanced effect. Big and imposing doesn't impress anymore - well thought-out and well executed does. :2cents:

To address the original post and this one: I'm not advocating bad design or blank walls.

Good podiums and height are the goal... a canyon doesn't have to be imposing, it just means no gaps down a street. I think most of Montreal's canyons are something to aspire to.

What the opponents mean by "human scale" isn't stepbacks... its nothing taller than 3 stories anywhere.

Jonovision
Mar 21, 2015, 1:15 PM
This will have a big impact on the skyline.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/ba05b89e87e76d6b8b77f4a02e074905/tumblr_nliuk7Ocv51sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

Jonovision
Mar 24, 2015, 4:39 PM
One crane working and the other still only half built.

https://41.media.tumblr.com/7b562555f5c7d545db66c611fa158f48/tumblr_nlpynd4W1U1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

Ziobrop
Mar 24, 2015, 6:36 PM
One crane working and the other still only half built.

https://41.media.tumblr.com/7b562555f5c7d545db66c611fa158f48/tumblr_nlpynd4W1U1sk8kjeo1_540.jpg

Its going to stay that way until its needed. if they finished it, they would need to put an operator in it, to keep it out of the way of the other one.

OldDartmouthMark
Mar 25, 2015, 5:11 PM
Its going to stay that way until its needed. if they finished it, they would need to put an operator in it, to keep it out of the way of the other one.

Hey that's a neat fact that I would not have guessed otherwise. Thanks for all your contributions! It is always an education for me. :tup:

Jonovision
Jun 28, 2015, 3:09 PM
Footings are almost done and columns are starting to rise.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11659342_10100637376470189_1381952988033632788_n.jpg?oh=7cae4f5535aec405ece05d4a22bacdce&oe=55ECC035

fenwick16
Jun 28, 2015, 4:20 PM
Footings are almost done and columns are starting to rise.

This seems to have taken a long time because of the surrounding historic buildings that had to be shored up. Now that most of the footings are in place and it is starting to rise, hopefully the progress will be much faster.

Jonovision
Jul 1, 2015, 9:53 PM
Yesterday

https://40.media.tumblr.com/c9a5d8456b8eea2b1d33fe1c3ddfc159/tumblr_nqtrutAVnh1sk8kjeo2_1280.jpg