PDA

View Full Version : Bartonville

MsMe
Aug 23, 2008, 10:33 PM
We should start a new thread for this one.

I did attend Bartonville Public school. I believe it was built in 1903. Until Viscount Montgomery was built it went up to grade 8. When I went there it only went up to grade 6. It is sad they tore it down though. I am trying to think of other houses still in that area that are older. I believe the house beside the Croatian Church is an older one. Plus the one across the street from the Rosedale Plaza is another older one. Both of those houses are brick. The white house the Croatian Church tore down was once owned by one of my relatives back in the 60s who was a Fletcher and he was also a Dr. I believe that house was an older one too. But sadly isn't there anymore.

I think Dermody Funeral Home is also an older one. OMG, my poor friend that we scared at the cemetery we also scared her at the funeral home too. We used to hang out at the back of the funeral home. Then we would look through the windows and tell my friend there were heads, legs and arms all over the place. After she went home screaming again, her mother called the funeral home and asked them to put curtain on the windows. I can't believe my friend survived us back then. LOL

MsMe
Aug 23, 2008, 10:52 PM
The Anglican Church on Baron's and King is also very old.

astroblaster
Aug 23, 2008, 11:56 PM
a while ago i found some info on the Weir's flowers house

from: http://ecohouse.greenventure.ca/history-green-venture039s-ecohouse

The Gage Family

A 50 acre piece of the farm was sold from the estate in 1871 to John Gage, one of the descendants of the Gage family of Stoney Creek. Gage was a speculator and major landowner in Wentworth . He likely purchased the property as an income generator.

The remainder of the 150 acre piece was purchased by Gage in 1880. He conveyed the land to his son, John W Gage, in 1886.

John W Gage ran the general store at Bartonville in this era. Gage did not live in Glen Manor, but rented out the building between 1871 and 1912. Gage's fine Bartonville home still stands. It is known today at Wear's Flower Shop.

astroblaster
Aug 24, 2008, 12:00 AM
theres a few older photos of the bartonville area in Brian Henley's "The Prints of King" book

LikeHamilton
Aug 24, 2008, 12:00 AM
I believe Bartonville was a Township within Wentworth County.

"Bartonville Township"

Here is a map of Wentworth County when Hamilton was small and surrounded by 8 Townships.

http://www.hwcn.org/link/wengenweb/#townmap

flar
Aug 24, 2008, 12:08 AM
I've always wanted to know more about Bartonville, it's a bit mysterious.

I'm not sure there was even a Bartonville township so I changed the name of the thread to just "Bartonville."

SteelTown
Aug 24, 2008, 12:16 AM
Before Hamilton the city was called Bartonville Township right?

MsMe
Aug 24, 2008, 12:20 AM
I remember Wear's Flower Shop having more farm animals till mid 60s. Not sure what kind of animals they still have there now. It's been a while since I was there.

No idea Steeltown, but there has been a lot of name changes on different things throughout the area over the years.

MsMe
Aug 24, 2008, 12:22 AM
I have some books on the city too somewhere. I need to look for them. There are some pics from all over the city in them, including some in Bartonville.

astroblaster
Aug 24, 2008, 12:32 AM
theres also a section on bartonville in vanished hamilton 3, pg 89

according to this, it used to be called "slabtown" (circa 1856) because there were alot of quarry workers leaving there.

it was annexed by hamilton in 1947 but the community fought it until 1949

astroblaster
Aug 24, 2008, 12:36 AM
the area was barton township after the 1791 Augustus Jones survey. the city of hamilton started within this township and slowly swallowed it up, piece by piece.

raisethehammer
Aug 24, 2008, 3:09 AM
I'm pretty good with local history, but am lost here.
What is Bartonville?? You guys are mentioning streets in the King/Rosedale area.... I've never seen anything over there resembling a 'downtown'. Was it an early suburb?? Or was there a downtown that Hamilton promptly demolished after annexation??

astroblaster
Aug 24, 2008, 3:47 AM
bartonville was a very small community along king st just east of kenilworth
they had their own post office, (a) church(s), the cemetery, a general store..

astroblaster
Aug 24, 2008, 3:48 AM
oh.. and a small public school

astroblaster
Aug 24, 2008, 4:04 AM
http://bornawesome.com/bartonville.jpg

here's a section of the 1875 wentworth county atlas
( http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/wentworth.htm )

raisethehammer
Aug 24, 2008, 11:43 AM
wow....cool.
Anytime I drive through there I always think the place has potential (like much of our city) to be a nice, quiet urban neighbourhood with a bustling scene on King St. Some of the homes could be converted into coffee shops, patios added etc....
Portland has mastered the art of small retail/business districts all through the city. they pop up everywhere and more are being created all the time now that the major ones are too expensive or full.
Maybe in 50 years we'll be able to do the same once downtown is too expensive and full.

MsMe
Aug 24, 2008, 2:23 PM
Too bad they didn't do more with all the empty stores on Main St. E. There are so many empty places on Main St., right from Kenilworth to Ottawa St.

astroblaster
Aug 24, 2008, 2:32 PM
there's also a nice used book store on king, across the street from the king rose plaze. Baron's books.

MsMe
Aug 24, 2008, 2:33 PM
oh.. and a small public school

I believe Bartonville school was only a 2 room schoolhouse at one time. Then they kept adding on over the years.

astroblaster
Aug 24, 2008, 2:44 PM
I believe Bartonville school was only a 2 room schoolhouse at one time. Then they kept adding on over the years.

vanished hamilton 3 has this to say:

They had their own school, S.S. #2 Barton which had opened as a log schoolhouse in 1869 with a second log building with a stone foundation having opened in 1890. In 1903, a one room brick school was opened and in 1912 a second room and a bell tower were added followed by numerous other additions over the years.

MsMe
Aug 24, 2008, 3:03 PM
Very interesting, astroblaster. :)

I wonder what happened to the old log one?

astroblaster
Aug 25, 2008, 2:38 PM
i read that there was a gravel pit in the lawrence/cochrane area before the houses went up.. anyone know anything about that?

i recall seeing a picture of it in "From Mountain to lake: the Red Hill Creek Valley" by Walter G. Peace

MsMe
Aug 25, 2008, 3:01 PM
The only thing I remember is the sewer drains being stored at the corner of King and Cochrane before the apartments went in. I don't remember a gravel pit.

DC83
Aug 25, 2008, 5:00 PM
Anyone know what School the Brock Uni satelite site used to be?
It looks like the same design as many other HSs in Hamilton: OP, Brebeuf, Churchill...

palace1
Aug 25, 2008, 5:27 PM
Anyone know what School the Brock Uni satelite site used to be?
It looks like the same design as many other HSs in Hamilton: OP, Brebeuf, Churchill...

The school was called Briarwood. (I believe it was a 'Vocational' type of Secondary School when it closed)

DC83
Aug 25, 2008, 6:39 PM
^^ Sweet, thanks. It's a lil b4 my day I guess.

Welcome to the forum, ps!

hamtransithistory
Aug 26, 2008, 2:59 PM
Bartonville also had streetcar service. From my website, Hamilton Transit History (http://ca.geocities.com/hamiltontransithistory@rogers.com/index.html)

In 1907, a single track was laid along Main St from Sherman to King, and then along King to the Barton-Saltfleet township line (now Cochrane Rd) in the village of Bartonville, thus creating the Bartonville route. As this route extended beyond the city of Hamilton’s boundaries at the time, the construction was actually performed under the Hamilton Radial Electric Railway charter, using rails salvaged from the recently abandoned Vineland extension of the HG&B. A streetcar was ‘leased’ from the HSR to provide service.

The Bartonville route was cut back to King & Main in 1913, with the opening of the Belt Line. Service remained unchanged for the rest of the Bartonville route’s lifetime. Operations were transferred from the HRER to the HSR in 1927. On July 30, 1929, the Bartonville streetcar route was replaced with buses, the first major abandonment of the HSR streetcar network.

In addition to the HSR, the Hamilton, Grimsby & Beamsville Electric Railway (http://ca.geocities.com/hsrradials@rogers.com/HGB.html) ran very close to Bartonville along Lawrence Rd

adam
Aug 26, 2008, 4:01 PM
Does anyone know what public opinion was on the move from streetcars to buses? Were buses quieter / smoother ride / faster / none of the above?

Millstone
Aug 26, 2008, 4:13 PM
Does anyone know what public opinion was on the move from streetcars to buses? Were buses quieter / smoother ride / faster / none of the above?

Oil companies and tire manufacturers.

SteelTown
Aug 26, 2008, 4:15 PM
General Motors.

stuckinexeter
Feb 29, 2012, 3:09 PM
yep.... i was there from grades 1 to 6 after kindergarden at Viscount M.
then grade 7 back to Viscount.
let me throw some names i remember from the 50's.... maybe you know them....

Teachers.... Miss Potruff
Mrs. Tuck
Mrs. Beatty
Miss Getty
Mr. Ritchie
and some old remembered school chums
Mary LebLanc
Cheryl Scullion
Patsy Knowles
Barbara Toothill
Peter Ross
Terry Palylipiak