PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90

OldDartmouthMark
May 16, 2015, 6:30 PM
The thing is it could end up the same as the York--has their been any progress on getting that re-assembled? Seems to be in indefinite storage.

That would be my concern. Plus, so much character of the building would be lost, IMHO.

counterfactual
May 19, 2015, 1:48 AM
Precisely my thinking when I originally posted it. I made a mistake saying it was 1 block instead of 3 without checking it on a map, but in actuality anytime I've done that very walk myself it didn't seem very far... never bothered counting the blocks... hence my saying one block.

Regardless... how many people who work in the downtown core get to park right outside their place of work? Why should it be any better for politicians, who, in fact, are supposed to be public servants - i.e. have the best interest of the public as their raison d'être?

I stand by my original statement that they should park at Metro Park and let the grounds go back to being landscaped.

Completely agree.

Some journalist should write a story on this, get some public attention. I hated Councillors parking in Grand Parade. So, I also loathe MLAs (who I think are overall, more useless than even our hapless Councillors) getting a private parking lot outside their office.

The Nova Scotia Government has always been the worst thing for Halifax. Elected by the rural vote, Provincial Governments have always crapped on Halifax and not given a care about fixing / investing in downtown. This is just another example of that. Things are changing now, however, because Halifax is growing in population while rural areas are dwindling. Soon, parties will be able to form government via votes from Halifax and surrounding alone.

End this parking lot travesty. Send the MLAs to Metropark.

Ziobrop
May 19, 2015, 12:28 PM
Completely agree.

Some journalist should write a story on this, get some public attention. I hated Councillors parking in Grand Parade. So, I also loathe MLAs (who I think are overall, more useless than even our hapless Councillors) getting a private parking lot outside their office.

The Nova Scotia Government has always been the worst thing for Halifax. Elected by the rural vote, Provincial Governments have always crapped on Halifax and not given a care about fixing / investing in downtown. This is just another example of that. Things are changing now, however, because Halifax is growing in population while rural areas are dwindling. Soon, parties will be able to form government via votes from Halifax and surrounding alone.

End this parking lot travesty. Send the MLAs to Metropark.

They don't even need the metro park. The Lot bounded by Lower water, Sackville, The maple and The Ralston Bldg is owned by the province.

I suppose in this case, The fact that the minister responsible is from Halifax Probably helps. He will be less inclined to leave another hole out of spite.

Keith P.
May 26, 2015, 6:39 PM
Here are our two favorite anti-development, anti-tall building councillors, MasonWatts, speaking as to the evils of tall (above 8 storey) buildings, the fear they generate, and the evils of a 25-floor building on Robie St and the devastation it will cause to the surrounding area:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Local+Shows/Maritimes/ID/2667882236/

The fact that these two can spout such nonsense without being challenged is quite indicative of the reasons why Halifax continues to be held back from being all it can be. Shameful.

JET
May 26, 2015, 7:17 PM
I only heard part of it this morning. Waye was talking about not having tall buildings that were like a cracker box, with sheer sides (eg Queen Square, with huge wind issues, ( my comment, not his)); he said that tall buildings with a set back were not such an issue, at least that's what I heard and had no probkem with.

Drybrain
May 26, 2015, 8:56 PM
I heard it as a pretty nuanced conversation too. Neither came off as a anti-development.

Waye said that it was necessary to protect single-family communities and ensure they remain the same in basic character--I disagree with that, but it's exactly what's enshrined in planning bylaw in basically every Canadian city, so I can't fault him for it. You'd be hard-pressed to find a municipal councillor in the country who'd take any other stance. I'd favour modest upzoning--like, developers being able to put in stacked townhouses as-of-right anywhere at all. As long as heritage regulations are in place to ensure we don't lose much in the way of our saltbox and Victorian vernacular, I think we could add a ridiculous amount of mid-rise density while maintaining leafy, small-scale streets.

Unfortunately, that's a revolutionary planning idea in Canada, which is part of the reason we have ridiculous housing prices.

Anyway, that's a digression. The tower discussion seemed pretty reasonable.

Keith P.
May 26, 2015, 9:39 PM
I heard it as a pretty nuanced conversation too. Neither came off as a anti-development.

None of what Watts said sounded particularly reasonable to me. But she has a history of being opposed to anything over 35 feet in height.

Really, is a narrow 25-floor tower on a low-rise podium on a 6-lane boulevard that is one of the busiest streets in town across from a gigantic green space really devastating to the area?

Drybrain
May 26, 2015, 10:02 PM
None of what Watts said sounded particularly reasonable to me. But she has a history of being opposed to anything over 35 feet in height.

Really, is a narrow 25-floor tower on a low-rise podium on a 6-lane boulevard that is one of the busiest streets in town across from a gigantic green space really devastating to the area?

Oh, I agree. I think it's completely fine. If it were me I'd say "look, this is a city, this is a reasonable location for this, that's how it goes."

PBut bearing in mind she's definitely a fairly conservative (not politically, but in other ways) councillor, speaking to a fairly conservative, homeowner-oriented base. She was at least saying "we need to consider various factors," rather than "no way."

Colin May
May 26, 2015, 11:30 PM
Oh, I agree. I think it's completely fine. If it were me I'd say "look, this is a city, this is a reasonable location for this, that's how it goes."

PBut bearing in mind she's definitely a fairly conservative (not politically, but in other ways) councillor, speaking to a fairly conservative, homeowner-oriented base. She was at least saying "we need to consider various factors," rather than "no way."
Only one person from Parker Street spoke at the meeting, I expected more but after the meeting a person told me the abutting properties are not owner occupied.

JET
May 27, 2015, 12:09 AM

I spent some time in New York's Central Park last year, and really liked the tall buildings that are around much of the park. As with Robie Street, they are a bit back from the perimeter of the park. I think this development with look much better than what is there now.

someone123
May 27, 2015, 12:41 AM
I spent some time in New York's Central Park last year, and really liked the tall buildings that are around much of the park. As with Robie Street, they are a bit back from the perimeter of the park. I think this development with look much better than what is there now.

It also makes sense to put higher density buildings around the edges of parks like this so that they are well-used and well-supported by the tax base. Quinpool Road needs more residents too. These lots on Robie are about as ideal for highrises as it gets. Hopefully these buildings will be approved.

Colin May
May 27, 2015, 3:06 AM
It also makes sense to put higher density buildings around the edges of parks like this so that they are well-used and well-supported by the tax base. Quinpool Road needs more residents too. These lots on Robie are about as ideal for highrises as it gets. Hopefully these buildings will be approved.
Oh ! Density....AAAAAARRGHH........looks like we have something in common with Toronto.
Except they are whinging about new and cheaper properties in their 'hood.

" I’m the one rating the new townhomes on their looks; the homeowners of Keewatin care only about money. To them, people who pay half a million are riff-raff whom they hope to keep out..." and " When you support mid-rises, you’re speaking up for a generation that wants to live inside one of the world’s most popular cities. NIMBYs are voting for death, when they can pass on much-hoped-for false profits to their children, who will by then be too old to care. "
Ouch ! or fall on the floor laughing. I'll wager the moaners vote NDP.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2015/05/26/the-folly-of-the-density-creep-crew-mallick.html

counterfactual
May 27, 2015, 1:52 PM

Waye said that it was necessary to protect single-family communities and ensure they remain the same in basic character--I disagree with that, but it's exactly what's enshrined in planning bylaw in basically every Canadian city, so I can't fault him for it. You'd be hard-pressed to find a municipal councillor in the country who'd take any other stance. I'd favour modest upzoning--like, developers being able to put in stacked townhouses as-of-right anywhere at all. As long as heritage regulations are in place to ensure we don't lose much in the way of our saltbox and Victorian vernacular, I think we could add a ridiculous amount of mid-rise density while maintaining leafy, small-scale streets.

Unfortunately, that's a revolutionary planning idea in Canada, which is part of the reason we have ridiculous housing prices.

Problem, is that this is not a single family community. It's nowhere near a single family unit or units. It would actually *create* more affordable residential for single families, who would be interested in living near a nice park.

Instead, its two politicians once again being mouthpieces for wealthy property owners located in other parts of the peninsula. No surprise there. But Mason and Watts may be in for a surprise next election, because Bev Miller only gets to vote once.

counterfactual
May 27, 2015, 1:55 PM

I agree, and actually, for those worried about "shadow reports", it's actually nice to have a bit of shade cast onto a tree-less green space, for those wanting to use the park in summer, and avoid harmful sun rays.

hokus83
May 27, 2015, 2:35 PM
most of these homes probably 90 % of theme in this area are divided up for people to rent sections of, it's probably just the landlords kicking up a fuss out of fear them might lose tenants

Keith P.
May 27, 2015, 4:36 PM
most of these homes probably 90 % of theme in this area are divided up for people to rent sections of, it's probably just the landlords kicking up a fuss out of fear them might lose tenants

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good NIMBY protest over a building more than 35' high. :koko:

macgregor
May 27, 2015, 5:45 PM
Looks like excavation has started on the Cancer Society "Lodge that Gives"/Daffodil Place on South and Wellington.

IanWatson
May 28, 2015, 4:31 PM
A reminder that fighting density (even mid-rise density) isn't confined to Halifax:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/05/25/midtowners-battle-the-rise-of-the-midrise.html

Ziobrop
May 28, 2015, 11:21 PM
I agree, and actually, for those worried about "shadow reports", it's actually nice to have a bit of shade cast onto a tree-less green space, for those wanting to use the park in summer, and avoid harmful sun rays.

Keep in mind the really bad shadows are at 4pm in February about 1.5 hours before sunset. It's cold it's winter, people in the oval will be under the lights.

If you stop and think, the shadow isn't an issue

Drybrain
May 29, 2015, 1:47 AM
Keep in mind the really bad shadows are at 4pm in February about 1.5 hours before sunset. It's cold it's winter, people in the oval will be under the lights.

If you stop and think, the shadow isn't an issue

And given that the Common is basically a treeless field with some baseball diamonds, I'm all for a bit of shade. But I'm aware I'm in the minority--most people enjoy squinting and sweating and soaking up UV for hours on end. I don't understand it.

ILoveHalifax
May 29, 2015, 6:33 AM
But the buildings would be on the west side of the Common so the Common would get full sun from the south all day until late in the afternoon.

counterfactual
May 31, 2015, 2:12 PM
And given that the Common is basically a treeless field with some baseball diamonds, I'm all for a bit of shade. But I'm aware I'm in the minority--most people enjoy squinting and sweating and soaking up UV for hours on end. I don't understand it.

I completely agree. Would be nice to be able to sit on the grass in a long shadow, rather than baking in the cancer rays. :)

Keith P.
May 31, 2015, 3:39 PM
I completely agree. Would be nice to be able to sit on the grass in a long shadow, rather than baking in the cancer rays. :)

Dr, Strang will probably get Glavine to pass a law banning that in the near future.

someone123
May 31, 2015, 5:30 PM
A bit of news about The Drum, a 44-unit building that will go on the Centennial Pool block near where the new roundabout is going in at North Park. Westwood is still waiting for Centre Plan amendments. If they go through, construction is planned for early 2016.

Here's an old rendering. I like how the building's shape responds to the triangular lot and the cylindrical part is interesting. The brickwork looks like it could be nice too. The ground floor could use some work to make it more inviting though:

http://condo-company.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Drum-Condos1.jpg
Source (http://condo-company.ca)

Keith P.
May 31, 2015, 5:35 PM
^^^ That rendering looks awful, frankly. That "X" detail on the cylindrical part looks like that awful building on the corner of North and Agricola, and the street level looks like it is right at the curb. Surely we can do better than this.

Also, what's up with that old guy? ;)

counterfactual
May 31, 2015, 5:41 PM
Dr, Strang will probably get Glavine to pass a law banning that in the near future.

:haha::haha::haha:

They'll be sure to ban "the use of cancer rays" just to be sure to put all small businesses out of business...

counterfactual
May 31, 2015, 5:43 PM
A bit of news about The Drum, a 44-unit building that will go on the Centennial Pool block near where the new roundabout is going in at North Park. Westwood is still waiting for Centre Plan amendments. If they go through, construction is planned for early 2016.

Here's an old rendering. I like how the building's shape responds to the triangular lot and the cylindrical part is interesting. The brickwork looks like it could be nice too. The ground floor could use some work to make it more inviting though:

Why don't they go for something really classy, like a flat-iron style building?

hokus83
May 31, 2015, 6:10 PM

So are they planning to build something taller than what is already approved? What's the point of them waiting for the Centre Plan if not.

curnhalio
May 31, 2015, 6:37 PM
So are they planning to build something taller than what is already approved? What's the point of them waiting for the Centre Plan if not.

I wonder if they're waiting for that stretch of Rainnie to be officially closed and made a walking path before building. Maybe they can get a few more feet of right of way on that side. It can make all the difference in how much you can get for rent or sale of individual units.

fenwick16
May 31, 2015, 7:56 PM

I actually like the shape also. Are there any colour renderings?

terrynorthend
May 31, 2015, 11:04 PM
^^^ That rendering looks awful, frankly. That "X" detail on the cylindrical part looks like that awful building on the corner of North and Agricola, and the street level looks like it is right at the curb. Surely we can do better than this.

Also, what's up with that old guy? ;)

I'm going to have to agree with Keith on this one. Ugly building, reminds me a lot of that disaster on Falkland at Gottingen.

Old guy looks sketchy, probably on his way to a Heritage Trust meeting.

Drybrain
Jun 1, 2015, 2:15 PM
I really, really hate this design.

This is part of the reason I'm less than excited about Westwood's plans for the SGR-Doyle block (Tom's Havana, etc.) especially if it involves a teardown. What are we going to see it replaces with? Something like this? I can't imagine it not being an architectural and aesthetic downgrade. It's confusing because Danny Chedrawe seems like a sharp guy with a lot of good ideas about the scale of development and the city's future, etc. His buildings are just extremely...un-inspiring, I guess.

A few days ago I was made aware of The Acre (http://theacre.ca/main/projects/), an with work in Saint John and NYC (http://theacre.ca/2013/10/01/hekla-hotel/) (an odd combo).

What did Saint John do to deserve better residential architecture than Halifax?

http://i.imgur.com/jq6xzRx.jpg

http://theacre.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/10707549986_11d66314b9_b.jpg

terrynorthend
Jun 1, 2015, 3:55 PM
A few days ago I was made aware of The Acre (http://theacre.ca/main/projects/), an with work in Saint John and NYC (http://theacre.ca/2013/10/01/hekla-hotel/) (an odd combo).

Wow! I like. Is it approved? I worry that this will never get a green light in conservative ol' Saint John.

Keith P.
Jun 1, 2015, 4:01 PM

How does the rendering on top relate to the one below? I am confused as they do not appear at all the same.

Drybrain
Jun 1, 2015, 4:30 PM
How does the rendering on top relate to the one below? I am confused as they do not appear at all the same.

Different projects, just different styles.

Wow! I like. Is it approved? I worry that this will never get a green light in conservative ol' Saint John.

That's part of why it's a bit unexpected. I think the church conversion is approved--the church was previously facing demolition, but this project involves converting it to lofts, so that probably has to do with its acceptance. The project is taking a while to get going, but if/when it happens, it'll be a modestly scaled development, fused with an ambitious heritage restoration, in a much poorer city than Halifax. That should give the lie to the "Halifax developers can't afford to do heritage like they do in bigger cities," which is an argument that's been made before on this forum.

The first one is indeed on hold or maybe cancelled, not because it's too contemporary, but because Saint John's planning department asked for more onsite parking. (A previous application was rejected as having too many units.) Which means hey, maybe the design could be repurposed locally...

hokus83
Jun 1, 2015, 4:53 PM

If anywhere in the city this is the spot that should be 40 stories with a restaurant on the top floor

Keith P.
Jun 1, 2015, 5:22 PM
If anywhere in the city this is the spot that should be 40 stories with a restaurant on the top floor

NOOOOO! The world would spin off its axis if that were to occur! And it would block the view of the skating oval from the ramparts of the Citadel!

It's TOO TALL!!! :haha:

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 1, 2015, 6:45 PM
Why don't they go for something really classy, like a flat-iron style building?

Hmmmm...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8483/8196721247_006b93dc20_o.jpg

Would need about double the floors, though.

:D

counterfactual
Jun 1, 2015, 9:31 PM
Hmmmm...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8483/8196721247_006b93dc20_o.jpg

Would need about double the floors, though.

:D

Mark, you actually read my mind! When I wrote my original post, I was going to reference this exact building, and go find the old posts on point. But then I got lazy and just made the flat-iron reference. :)

Thanks for being less lazy than me, and finding the old pic. I think it would be awesome to try to do a re-make of this beautiful building, and this is the perfect plot.

Can someone email Mark's idea to Danny? I'm actually serious about this.

counterfactual
Jun 1, 2015, 9:34 PM

This is part of the reason I'm less than excited about Westwood's plans for the SGR-Doyle block (Tom's Havana, etc.) especially if it involves a teardown. What are we going to see it replaces with? Something like this? I can't imagine it not being an architectural and aesthetic downgrade. It's confusing because Danny Chedrawe seems like a sharp guy with a lot of good ideas about the scale of development and the city's future, etc. His buildings are just extremely...un-inspiring, I guess.

Both of these are nice, with the latter actually quite stunning. I love the contrast between the new/modern glass and the old church structure. Would love to see something like this in Halifax.

I hope Danny realizes he's building opposite one of our most stunning buildings in the Library and he rises to meet that challenge.

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 1, 2015, 9:42 PM
Mark, you actually read my mind! When I wrote my original post, I was going to reference this exact building, and go find the old posts on point. But then I got lazy and just made the flat-iron reference. :)

Thanks for being less lazy than me, and finding the old pic. I think it would be awesome to try to do a re-make of this beautiful building, and this is the perfect plot.

Can someone email Mark's idea to Danny? I'm actually serious about this.

LOL, actually it's your idea. Your comment just rang a bell in my head that if you could pick up this building (would also require a time machine... lol) and put it on that piece of land it would probably fit. The pic was easy to find because it was in the first page of the Historic Halifax thread that I was beating my head against for a couple of weeks.

And some more floors would make the small footprint much more usable...

It does make me seriously wonder if there is some way, using today's materials and technology, to do homage to this building and not make it look hokey (or "faux heritage"). I would applaud heartily and raise a glass to anybody who could pull it off.

counterfactual
Jun 1, 2015, 9:57 PM
LOL, actually it's your idea. Your comment just rang a bell in my head that if you could pick up this building (would also require a time machine... lol) and put it on that piece of land it would probably fit. The pic was easy to find because it was in the first page of the Historic Halifax thread that I was beating my head against for a couple of weeks.

And some more floors would make the small footprint much more usable...

It does make me seriously wonder if there is some way, using today's materials and technology, to do homage to this building and not make it look hokey (or "faux heritage"). I would applaud heartily and raise a glass to anybody who could pull it off.

Good point about faux heritage often being a problem. I think you could pull it off, maybe making it more modern looking, with class, but with a clear homage to this older building in the overall shape and design of the new. They could even name it the same building. I think *that* would be innovative.

Drybrain
Jun 1, 2015, 11:05 PM
Both of these are nice, with the latter actually quite stunning. I love the contrast between the new/modern glass and the old church structure. Would love to see something like this in Halifax.

I hope Danny realizes he's building opposite one of our most stunning buildings in the Library and he rises to meet that challenge.

He should hire these guys, then, and ask them to design something that gracefully marries as much as possible of the existing buildings (except the TD/Sleep Country building--that can go) with something totally new.

In my ideal world, anyway.

counterfactual
Jun 1, 2015, 11:08 PM
He should hire these guys, then, and ask them to design something that gracefully marries as much as possible of the existing buildings (except the TD/Sleep Country building--that can go) with something totally new.

In my ideal world, anyway.

Email him this idea. And also email him Mark's idea. Suggest either. :)

JET
Jun 2, 2015, 6:30 PM
Fireside and Tom's Little Havana are moving Oct 1 to City Centre Atlantic mall; they will share a kitchen.

counterfactual
Jun 2, 2015, 8:33 PM
Fireside and Tom's Little Havana are moving Oct 1 to City Centre Atlantic mall; they will share a kitchen.

Hmm. A mall? Not ideal at all.

Keith P.
Jun 2, 2015, 9:03 PM
Hmm. A mall? Not ideal at all.

They will have their own street-level entrances and one supposes given the near nil foot traffic in that mall, that there will be very little interaction with whatever remains in that mall.

Hali87
Jun 2, 2015, 10:23 PM
Cora's and Sushi Nami are both in that mall and both seem to do well.

Empire
Jun 2, 2015, 10:56 PM

Hopefully something will stop this mediocre at-best development. Tom's Little Havana and the Fireside are what make this struggling city unique. This proposal does nothing to improve the Spring Garden Road area. This has Halifax written all over it.................

terrynorthend
Jun 2, 2015, 11:09 PM
Hopefully something will stop this mediocre at-best development. Tom's Little Havana and the Fireside are what make this struggling city unique. This proposal does nothing to improve the Spring Garden Road area. This has Halifax written all over it.................

Well I wouldn't mind if Tom's comes out of this with a little more seating. Hopefully it will retain its character. Any idea what street they will front?

JET
Jun 2, 2015, 11:25 PM
Well I wouldn't mind if Tom's comes out of this with a little more seating. Hopefully it will retain its character. Any idea what street they will front?
Pete's is also in that mall. The entrance will be on Birmingham Street. Anyone remember the Birmingham Street Grill when it was on Birmingham Street?:cheers:

Keith P.
Jun 2, 2015, 11:31 PM

Here's what they Tweeted:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll229/keith_p/toms_zpsxfbl9chv.jpg

counterfactual
Jun 2, 2015, 11:53 PM
They will have their own street-level entrances and one supposes given the near nil foot traffic in that mall, that there will be very little interaction with whatever remains in that mall.

Okay, if they have their own street-level entrance, that's much better. Thanks for the info, Keith.

JET
Jun 3, 2015, 12:36 AM
Here's what they Tweeted:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll229/keith_p/toms_zpsxfbl9chv.jpg

Keith, You tweet? I'm glad I was sitting down. :)

Keith P.
Jun 3, 2015, 12:05 PM
Keith, You tweet? I'm glad I was sitting down. :)

I lurk, not Tweet.

beyeas
Jun 3, 2015, 12:27 PM

Last week I was in Ottawa and was walking up Wellington (right around the Supreme Court) and noticed St. Andrew's church, which is somewhat similar to what is proposed in Saint John (although I like how it was done in SJ better).

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.420638,-75.704594,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sNh2MJuMGKF7HvAkz8lKGjA!2e0!6m1!1e1

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 3, 2015, 7:33 PM

A little more background info:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/gothic-arches-sold-to-toronto-developer-1.1237347

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/saint-john-s-gothic-arches-to-be-converted-into-condos-1.1373241

Info on the project:

http://property.trovit.ca/index.php/cod.frame/url.http%253A%252F%252Fwww.buzzbuzzhome.com%252Fgothic-arches1/id._1oQ1C1pB1H1Y/what_d.saint%20john%20nb%20condo/type.1/origin.2/section.7/section_type.1/pop.0/

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 4, 2015, 1:20 PM
Bids coming in for the old Dartmouth City Hall:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1290885-hrm-receives-at-least-one-bid-for-old-city-hall-building

This quote outlines the issue quite succinctly:
Developer Basim Halef said he has a lot of projects on the go and wasn’t interested in taking on the old Dartmouth city hall.

“With everything that is getting built around that area, I just don’t think it’s the right product for us,” he said.

When asked about the height restrictions he said “that’s the whole problem.”

“To go into something like that, you buy something and you pay millions of dollars and then you wait two or three years (for a development agreement) and by that time the economic cycle has completely changed,” Halef said.

counterfactual
Jun 4, 2015, 8:27 PM
Bids coming in for the old Dartmouth City Hall:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1290885-hrm-receives-at-least-one-bid-for-old-city-hall-building

This quote outlines the issue quite succinctly:

The quote really shows how important HRMxD has been for downtown development.

I have no doubt development certainty has been a huge factor in promoting more, and faster, development.

planarchy
Jun 8, 2015, 2:40 PM
Street View (https://www.google.ca/maps/place/5950+Spring+Garden+Rd,+Halifax,+NS+B3H+1Y7/@44.640487,-63.586567,3a,75y,112.79h,89.5t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1seOpfJkEx0k_CzAqHbVj6fw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x4b5a222fdbfcd6fb:0xc5f453e9b3f01e59!6m1!1e1)

Lowen Group looking for 30 storeys here. 4 level podium and 26 levels of residential. Apparently an informal open house was held with the neighbours last week.

Colin May
Jun 8, 2015, 4:26 PM
Street View (https://www.google.ca/maps/place/5950+Spring+Garden+Rd,+Halifax,+NS+B3H+1Y7/@44.640487,-63.586567,3a,75y,112.79h,89.5t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1seOpfJkEx0k_CzAqHbVj6fw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x4b5a222fdbfcd6fb:0xc5f453e9b3f01e59!6m1!1e1)

Lowen Group looking for 30 storeys here. 4 level podium and 26 levels of residential. Apparently an informal open house was held with the neighbours last week.
He had illustrations on display a few years ago at the Carmichael lecture held at the CN lobby.

JET
Jun 8, 2015, 4:55 PM
He had illustrations on display a few years ago at the Carmichael lecture held at the CN lobby.

is that only for 5994, or are other addresses involved?

teddifax
Jun 8, 2015, 5:42 PM
Are there any other details on this one?

Drybrain
Jun 8, 2015, 7:39 PM
I recall seeing something about this previously--I think it basically involves tearing down everything from 5950 and 5954, and the large townhouse structure west of those.

Which would be a bit of a shame, since those are the best old buildings on the block, even if they're a bit rundown. We'd lose the better buildings and retain the uglier buildings further west standing. A bit backwards.

The entire middle of the block is a big parking lot, so it'd be great to see something like the excellent way this developer salvaged a row of run-down historic storefronts (http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2011/05/demolition-work-begins-graywood-and-mod-developments-five-st-joseph-condos) on Yonge Street in Toronto, and fit a skyscraper behind them rather than knocking down or simply facading.

Unless, and this just occurred to me, this is a whole other project for the west end of the block?

planarchy
Jun 8, 2015, 10:12 PM
I recall seeing something about this previously--I think it basically involves tearing down everything from 5950 and 5954, and the large townhouse structure west of those.

Which would be a bit of a shame, since those are the best old buildings on the block, even if they're a bit rundown. We'd lose the better buildings and retain the uglier buildings further west standing. A bit backwards.

The entire middle of the block is a big parking lot, so it'd be great to see something like the excellent way this developer salvaged a row of run-down historic storefronts (http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2011/05/demolition-work-begins-graywood-and-mod-developments-five-st-joseph-condos) on Yonge Street in Toronto, and fit a skyscraper behind them rather than knocking down or simply facading.

Unless, and this just occurred to me, this is a whole other project for the west end of the block?

It is the entire west end of the block. Just over an acre I think. That would include the multiunit residential in the middle of the block that is in rough shape, the old Tim Horton's, Kara's Day Spa, etc. I don't know if it goes all the way to Subway on Robie or not. No doubt that it will be decent with the Lawen Group behind it. Ekistics is doing the planning. They often use Michael Napier for the architecture, but I hope it is someone else. His latest work is mediocre at best. I think Dexel are starting to do some of their architecture in-house, but 30 storeys is a big building to do without an experienced firm... look forward to seeing this one unveiled.

Colin May
Jun 8, 2015, 11:01 PM
is that only for 5994, or are other addresses involved?
Can't remember. He owns a number of properties on the block.
If I was a councillor I would keep a close watch on on who was buying up certain properties, and find out the ownership of every slummy looking property used as a rooming house.

counterfactual
Jun 8, 2015, 11:01 PM
It is the entire west end of the block. Just over an acre I think. That would include the multiunit residential in the middle of the block that is in rough shape, the old Tim Horton's, Kara's Day Spa, etc. I don't know if it goes all the way to Subway on Robie or not. No doubt that it will be decent with the Lawen Group behind it. Ekistics is doing the planning. They often use Michael Napier for the architecture, but I hope it is someone else. His latest work is mediocre at best. I think Dexel are starting to do some of their architecture in-house, but 30 storeys is a big building to do without an experienced firm... look forward to seeing this one unveiled.

Seems to me to be a natural place and intersection for some density development.

And I've always felt those wooden shops looking dreary and run down. I do like Mary's Place and the Istanbul Cafe here; I hope they would stick around.

Drybrain
Jun 8, 2015, 11:34 PM
It is the entire west end of the block. Just over an acre I think. That would include the multiunit residential in the middle of the block that is in rough shape, the old Tim Horton's, Kara's Day Spa, etc. I don't know if it goes all the way to Subway on Robie or not.

I do think the multiunit building in the middle has restoration potential, and the rundown apartment building on the corner (Coburg Apartments) has huge restoration potential. It's got almost a mini-San Francisco vibe going on. We have very few Victorian apartment buildings in town, and this has some nice character and texture. Would be foolish to destroy it, IMO.

The rest of the block is pretty much disposable, though for sure—everything from Extreme Pita to the eye clinic.

fenwick16
Jun 9, 2015, 2:31 AM

I wonder if there are any plans to maintain the current streetscape? I must be getting old, since I would be disappointed to see those building replaced with a nondescript highrise (I think it would have to be a spectacular proposal to be considered).

Keith P.
Jun 9, 2015, 11:24 AM
Wonderful. Knock it all down! ;)

hokus83
Jun 9, 2015, 5:52 PM
more density would hopefully add to more retail to the other side of the street in a similar way to brunswick street

JET
Jun 9, 2015, 6:59 PM
more density, less history. Who am I to blow against the wind?

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 9, 2015, 7:13 PM
more density, less history. Who am I to blow against the wind?

Nothing wrong with holding your ground and believing in what you believe in.

Your point of view is as valid as any other, and in fact I concur. We are still ripping down Victorian and early industrial era buildings to build glass towers while in the meantime empty lots abound. One would think we had learned something from the sixties but apparently not...

Of course we have to expect some losses - it's business after all and in the world of business there is little room for sentimentality, but that said somebody has to speak up and present the other side, the one "closer to the heart" (to quote Rush).

JET
Jun 9, 2015, 7:23 PM
Nothing wrong with holding your ground and believing in what you believe in.

Your point of view is as valid as any other, and in fact I concur. We are still ripping down Victorian and early industrial era buildings to build glass towers while in the meantime empty lots abound. One would think we had learned something from the sixties but apparently not...

Of course we have to expect some losses - it's business after all and in the world of business there is little room for sentimentality, but that said somebody has to speak up and present the other side, the one "closer to the heart" (to quote Rush).

One of the other posters had suggested why not use one of the houses on the block as an entry point and leave the rest and build a tower in the empty lot in the middle of the block. Soon there will be no old residences on Spring Garden Road.

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 9, 2015, 7:32 PM
I wonder if there are any plans to maintain the current streetscape? I must be getting old, since I would be disappointed to see those building replaced with a nondescript highrise (I think it would have to be a spectacular proposal to be considered).

:yeahthat: This would be my preference, if I had a vote in the deal.

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 9, 2015, 7:33 PM
One of the other posters had suggested why not use one of the houses on the block as an entry point and leave the rest and build a tower in the empty lot in the middle of the block. Soon there will be no old residences on Spring Garden Road.

Agree.

halifaxboyns
Jun 9, 2015, 7:55 PM
The building with Kara's salon in it is cute - I'd keep it just because I like it, but that's just me. Giver - 30 stories in this spot would be fine but given the heritage streetscape on the adjacent street, there will be push back.

ILoveHalifax
Jun 9, 2015, 7:57 PM
Dozers the sooner the better - one of the nastiest looking sites in the city

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 9, 2015, 8:24 PM
Dozers the sooner the better - one of the nastiest looking sites in the city

Right on cue! :haha: :tup:

Hali87
Jun 9, 2015, 9:17 PM
I'd be for preserving the two bluish-grey apartment buildings/townhouses, I don't really care either way for the rest of that site. I've been in the ones mid-block recently and I wouldn't call them slummy (or rooming houses). They were divided into relatively nice ("old" in both the good and the bad ways) flats like most of the houses in the area. They were basically higher-end student housing (or equivalent).

Keith P.
Jun 9, 2015, 9:21 PM

I'm not sure why anyone would want to maintain very much of THIS (https://goo.gl/maps/Pq8Mu) (assuming I have the correct spot).

Drybrain
Jun 9, 2015, 9:37 PM
To reiterate more strongly what I said above, I think most of the architectural value on the block has been compromised by bad renovations over the years, and the buildings weren't exceptional to begin with. I'm usually the "save the old buildings!" guy, but I think this is all pretty disposable stuff.

EXCEPT, I really think the Coburg Apartments building on the corner at Robie can and should be restored, and I'd like the same to happen with the Victorian townhouse-turned-student-rental in the middle.

Hali87
Jun 9, 2015, 10:12 PM
A few photos from the waterfront today:

Warehouse between Pier 21 and Cunard Centre being converted to offices (I think)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/282/18462906090_066eb30548_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/u8vdK5)
Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/u8vdK5) by Hali87 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/72021271@N05/), on Flickr

New sign at the market

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8859/18464430309_3b9952c766_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/u8D2QH)
Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/u8D2QH) by Hali87 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/72021271@N05/), on Flickr

New building on the parking lot across from Pier 21 (check out the date). Not sure what it is but it seems to be some kind of storage shed or garage.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8862/18029945893_3509c68e28_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ttfbL6)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/383/18624274176_0f10d546ac_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/unLgRs)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8895/18645913652_17010bd130_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/upFbvS)
Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/upFbvS) by Hali87 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/72021271@N05/), on Flickr

New ECL store at the Seaport

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8851/18029948923_d18beab60d_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ttfcEk)
Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/ttfcEk) by Hali87 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/72021271@N05/), on Flickr

Some digging (resurfacing?) going on at the Westin parking lot

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/400/18464446749_ef8d8b2e04_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/u8D7Ja)
Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/u8D7Ja) by Hali87 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/72021271@N05/), on Flickr

People are already playing the pianos (these guys were quite good)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/557/18650628285_e132ae6024_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/318/18652866221_a9a1c0045d_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/uqhPgK)
Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/uqhPgK) by Hali87 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/72021271@N05/), on Flickr

kwajo
Jun 9, 2015, 10:39 PM

We're also getting this, so you can continue being jealous ;)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHDuyC6XIAAwzsO.jpg:large

(it's three commercial storefronts - Picaroons beer, art gallery, food market - with 14 rental units above)

JET
Jun 9, 2015, 11:02 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would want to maintain very much of THIS (https://goo.gl/maps/Pq8Mu) (assuming I have the correct spot).

The two apartment buildings are quite nice and only need a bit of cosmetic upgrade. The other buildings are covered in vinyl and signs, and windows that are cheap, again not hard to fix. Basically I expect that it will all be razed. Next will be the Carlton street streetscape which is now a lot of student housing and been allowed to decline. It will all be razed.

Drybrain
Jun 9, 2015, 11:21 PM
We're also getting this, so you can continue being jealous ;)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHDuyC6XIAAwzsO.jpg:large

(it's three commercial storefronts - Picaroons beer, art gallery, food market - with 14 rental units above)

Is that a restoration of an existing building or a new project designed to appear like a Victorian commercial building?

Drybrain
Jun 9, 2015, 11:24 PM
The two apartment buildings are quite nice and only need a bit of cosmetic upgrade. The other buildings are covered in vinyl and signs, and windows that are cheap, again not hard to fix. Basically I expect that it will all be razed. Next will be the Carlton street streetscape which is now a lot of student housing and been allowed to decline. It will all be razed.

Every house on Carlton is a municipal heritage property though, and there's a mixture of owner-occupied houses in there. I don't think there's any danger to that streetscape.

Ziobrop
Jun 9, 2015, 11:33 PM
The new building outside pier 21 is the transformers and switching gear to allow cruise ships to run on shore power while tied up.

JET
Jun 9, 2015, 11:56 PM
Every house on Carlton is a municipal heritage property though, and there's a mixture of owner-occupied houses in there. I don't think there's any danger to that streetscape.

25, years ago when I had an apartment on Carlton Street, a lot of the houses were owner occupied. Over the years that has changed to absentee ownership. The buildings are declining on the exterior, and in a few years most posters on this forum will declare them to be too far gone, and agree when the owner applies to have their heritage registration removed, in preparation to have them razed so that some ticky tack building can replace it. Take a walk down Carlton Street, it's sad to see how it has declined

kwajo
Jun 9, 2015, 11:57 PM
Is that a restoration of an existing building or a new project designed to appear like a Victorian commercial building?
It's a reno of this existing, mostly empty/half parking structure: https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.272097,-66.061134,3a,75y,60.59h,83.57t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s1xn8PbOC_-bz2bPoLJlZKg!2e0

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 10, 2015, 12:34 PM
It's a reno of this existing, mostly empty/half parking structure: https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.272097,-66.061134,3a,75y,60.59h,83.57t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s1xn8PbOC_-bz2bPoLJlZKg!2e0

That will be nice.

I've long been jealous of Saint John's building stock. There are so many nice old structures remaining that somehow escaped the wrecker's ball over the years.

beyeas
Jun 10, 2015, 1:59 PM
That will be nice.

I've long been jealous of Saint John's building stock. There are so many nice old structures remaining that somehow escaped the wrecker's ball over the years.

In this context Saint John has both benefitted and suffered from having gone through long dry spells with a very poor economy. The benefit is that while other cities in the 60s and 70s were knocking down old buildings to build towers, SJ was in the doldrums and largely did not do so. Add in the fact that much of this section of downtown (Prince William, Canterbury, Germain, etc) was burned to the ground in the great fire and then uniformly rebuilt as brick/stone, rather than the wood structures that were there before, and you have a large stock of well built edwardian structures that are all self-consistent. There really are some spectacular buildings in that section of downtown (I went to SJHS, which is right in the middle of all that). The south end of the city is mostly in terrible shape (falling down clapboard wood structures that have been poorly maintained), but this section of the downtown core really does have a large self-consistent set of buildings that deserved to be saved/renovated. Last I visited I was actually impressed by the new development that has taken place, the loft conversion done to some of the old buildings, and the renovations that have taken place in some other buildings (e.g. along King Street). It has been a while since I felt positive about SJ, but I have to say they look like they have turned a corner.

ILoveHalifax
Jun 10, 2015, 5:09 PM
Have they patched any of their roads so you can get into the city without falling into a sink hole?

For every nice old building that is found in Saint John seems there are acres of slums. I cannot believe anybody is comparing Saint John to Halifax.

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 10, 2015, 8:14 PM
Have they patched any of their roads so you can get into the city without falling into a sink hole?

For every nice old building that is found in Saint John seems there are acres of slums. I cannot believe anybody is comparing Saint John to Halifax.

Who's comparing? :shrug:

ILoveHalifax
Jun 10, 2015, 9:23 PM
Who's comparing? :shrug:

I am.

And I think if you go back and follow the thread there are others who are comparing.

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 10, 2015, 10:13 PM
I am.

And I think if you go back and follow the thread there are others who are comparing.

Oh, way back then... my old memory isn't so good these days. :D

Looks like a nice project, I hope they get it! ;)

someone123
Jun 11, 2015, 5:48 AM
Looks like Queen's Landing is back. Designs have been approved by the WDCL and are going to go through the HbD process in September. The new project will be designed by MacKay Lyons-Sweetapple architects and will have hotel, residential, and commercial components. The value is $60M.

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 11, 2015, 12:48 PM
Looks like Queen's Landing is back. Designs have been approved by the WDCL and are going to go through the HbD process in September. The new project will be designed by MacKay Lyons-Sweetapple architects and will have hotel, residential, and commercial components. The value is $60M.

Interesting. Any links?

someone123
Jun 11, 2015, 2:37 PM
Interesting. Any links?

This one's just from the rumour mill (i.e. the website that shall not be named). Hopefully some renderings will be available soon. Projects designed by this architect are usually pretty interesting.

haligonia
Jun 11, 2015, 2:47 PM
This one's just from the rumour mill (i.e. the website that shall not be named). Hopefully some renderings will be available soon. Projects designed by this architect are usually pretty interesting.

It's definitely an exciting rumour—MLS is a great architecture firm and always produces interesting work.