PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : $700,000,000,000-- How far could it have gone??

urbanactivist
Sep 23, 2008, 6:04 PM
I love our government in the US...

Not saying that I "disagree" with the decision to do a general bailout of Wall Street but considering how we're so close to an election, one has to ask themselves the question:

How far could 700 billion dollars have advanced--

Public Transportation?
Alternative Energy investment?
Higher Education Funding?
Transitional jobs/training for endangered industries (From Rust Belt to Green Belt)?
Health Care Reform?
The US High Speed Rail Network?

JDRCRASH
Sep 23, 2008, 7:00 PM
Put it this way....we could have probably built the Transatlantic Tunnel, or maybe X-Seed 4000. Ehem, not that those are good investments.

alexjon
Sep 23, 2008, 10:48 PM
5,000,000,000,000 tacos!

urbanactivist
Sep 24, 2008, 3:39 PM
It could have completed several local transit projects, or made significant progress for one of the HSR corridors. Alone it doesn't sound like much, but when you consider the amount of jobs that will be created, and in turn the amount of money/spending pumped into the economy, the money would quickly pay for itself, and eat away at the national deficit.

Same thing for educational capitol. We should be investing in American ingenuity. I look around Houston everyday and see trees getting cut up and mulched b/c of the storm debris... i keep thinking to myself "I wonder how much electricity or fuel this mulch could create??" If we had the dedication and technology, this could happen, and we wouldn't have to drain our money at the gas pump. But none of it happens without a smart, young, and eager crop of college graduates.

ThisSideofSteinway
Sep 24, 2008, 3:56 PM
5,000,000,000,000 tacos!

Or 2,000 McDonald's apple pies for every American.

(Get me an upgrade to apple crumb and that's a bailout I'd like to be a part of!)

alexjon
Sep 24, 2008, 11:23 PM
Or 2,000 McDonald's apple pies for every American.

(Get me an upgrade to apple crumb and that's a bailout I'd like to be a part of!)

This. :slob:

Jobohimself
Sep 25, 2008, 7:30 AM
What if every American got a share of that money?

(I sure could use 2,187.50 to buy myself a new Nikon D90. :P )

urbanactivist
Sep 25, 2008, 2:11 PM
I guess it's great to make light of the situation (b/c we can't really do anything about it), but 2,187.50 sounds like a nice pocket-liner for all the Americans that are about to face a tough winter... home heating oil prices will be through the roof.