PDA

View Full Version : Tories plan £20bn 180mph rail link instead of Heathrow third runway

SpongeG
Sep 29, 2008, 12:12 AM
Tories plan £20bn 180mph rail link instead of Heathrow third runway

A third runway at Heathrow airport would be scrapped by a Tory government that would instead build a £20bn TGV-style high speed rail link between London, Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds.

In one of David Cameron's boldest moves on the environment, the party will today unveil plans to cut 66,000 flights a year from Heathrow by tempting passengers on to the first new rail line north of London in more than a century.

Theresa Villiers, the shadow transport secretary, told the Guardian last night: "This is a seriously green decision. A few years ago it would have been inconceivable for the leader of the Conservative party to say no to a third runway and putting the brakes on Heathrow expansion."

The announcement, on the second day of the party's conference in Birmingham, is designed to show that the party has not abandoned its "Vote Blue, Go Green" agenda in the face of the economic downturn. Gordon Brown has warned that some Tory green plans would jeopardise economic development, but Cameron hopes to blunt any Labour attack by outlining detailed plans to tempt airline passengers on to the railways.

Villiers will announce that a Tory government would spend £15.6bn between 2015 and 2027 (£1.3bn a year for 12 years) to build the new high speed rail link from London St Pancras to Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds. A further £4.4bn would be paid by the private sector.

The line would be completely new and would allow the existing West Coast main line to be used for commuter journeys between smaller towns, such as Macclesfield, Stafford and Milton Keynes, and the big cities. There would also be a high speed line linking St Pancras with Heathrow.

Journey times on the 180mph line would be slashed: London to Birmingham would take 45 minutes instead of 80; London to Manchester 80 minutes instead of 125, London to Leeds 97 minutes instead of 125 and Manchester to Leeds 17 minutes instead of the current 55.

The Tories say the new rail link would cut flights from Heathrow by 66,430 a year - 44% of the capacity of the planned third runway. There are currently 36 flights a day between Heathrow and Manchester. The Tories hope to cut flights to Paris, Amsterdam and Brussels as passengers are encouraged to use the new high speed rail line which would link up with the Eurostar service at St Pancras.

Greenpeace last night welcomed the announcement. John Sauven, its executive director, said: "The Conservatives have recognised that decisions taken now on high carbon projects like new runways and coal-fired power stations will make or break our chances of tackling climate change in the future."

The government has resisted pressure for a high speed rail link on the grounds that money should be spent on upgrading existing lines.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/sep/29/toryconference.transport

Saddle Man
Sep 29, 2008, 7:04 AM
Neato.

theWatusi
Sep 30, 2008, 7:06 PM
Good idea

tigernar
Sep 30, 2008, 9:15 PM
The announcement, on the second day of the party's conference in Birmingham, is designed to show that the party has not abandoned its "Vote Blue, Go Green" agenda in the face of the economic downturn. Gordon Brown has warned that some Tory green plans would jeopardise economic development, but Cameron hopes to blunt any Labour attack by outlining detailed plans to tempt airline passengers on to the railways.
The government has resisted pressure for a high speed rail link on the grounds that money should be spent on upgrading existing lines.

This is one of Gordon Brown's worst attacks so far; Building a high speed railway would just do the opposite, the economy would get a major boost. Could somebody in the UK ask mr. Brown if he has seen what happened to Lille after LGV Nord was finished in the early 90's? Or to Cordoba?

The left wing in any country should do better than this, or I would start asking myself what I really should vote instead...

kenratboy
Oct 15, 2008, 7:04 AM
I fear they will scrap the third runway AND never build this line - net result is another step backwards.

emathias
Oct 25, 2008, 5:58 PM
I wish Chicago had spent money on true high-speed rail between Chicago and Milwaukee, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Detroit and Indianapolis. Combined, that could replace 10% of all air traffic in Chicago and perhaps spur other development of high-speed rail all the way to New York. If you could take a train from Midtown to the Loop in six hours, that would compare with air travel for a lot of customers. Flying now between the two is going to be 30-60 minutes to get to the airport, 30-60 minutes dealing with security and boarding, 2 hours flying, 30-60 minutes getting from the airport to your destination, so 3-4 hours anyway, more if there's a delay or something. It could easily turn into 6 hours at times. Between the cost of redoing O'Hare, proposed express service to O'Hare and Midway (which doesn't even need express service since it's only 25 minutes now anyway), if we pumped that money into high speed rail, I think we'd get more bang for our buck.

Kingofthehill
Oct 26, 2008, 1:46 AM
progress.

nito
Oct 27, 2008, 9:18 AM
I used to be a massive fan of HSR/maglev....but the geography of the country is now making me think that more routes and not necessarily far faster routes are what the country needs.

Britain has a swathe of disused railway lines that could be brought back into use that could be used to create a larger catchment and facilitate the spread of freight services.

More lines need to quadruple or even sextrupled (six tracks: 2 for inter-city, 2 for commuter services. 2 for freight), as at present there aren't too many 6-track routes in the UK.

pdxman
Oct 31, 2008, 3:16 AM
Interesting. If the article hadn't included who was pushing this idea I would never have guessed Cameron and the Tories. I like the idea though! Definitely makes me think differently of the Conservatives.