View Full Version : Food terminal discussed for Stoney Creek

SteelTown
Dec 19, 2008, 1:44 AM
Food terminal discussed for Stoney Creek

By Kevin Werner/News staff
News
Dec 17, 2008
http://www.hamiltonmountainnews.com/news/article/156117

Rural politicians are investigating the idea of creating a food terminal, possibly in the Stoney Creek area, to service the Hamilton and Niagara agricultural communities.

“It would be great for Hamilton’s agricultural community, which contributes about $1.2 billion annually to the economy of the area,” said Flamborough councillor Robert Pasuta, a member of the Board of Health’s community food security stakeholders group.

“This would be good for farmers, and good for residents.”

The idea, they say, would be to allow the area’s farmers to use a local food terminal to distribute their produce rather than having to travel to the Ontario Food Terminal in Toronto.

“I like the idea,” said Stoney Creek councillor Dave Mitchell. “To have something like that for our local farms would be great. They wouldn’t have to go to Toronto, which can be a hassle.”

Mr. Mitchell said a byproduct of a food terminal in Stoney Creek would be that local people would come out and support their neighbourhood farm families, who contribute to the local economy.

“This is exciting news,” he said, who has already spoken to a number of farmers about the idea.

Mr. Mitchell has suggested a perfect area for a food terminal – in Upper Stoney Creek.

Downtown councillor Bob Bratina said a food terminal would contribute to Hamilton’s agricultural community, which is an integral part of the city economic clusters as detailed in the economic development department’s strategic goals.

“Having a food terminal outside of Toronto would be terrific,” said Mr. Bratina.

Neil Everson, the city’s economic development executive director, said staff is helping the councillors secure funding to get a feasibility report done.

“It’s a great idea,” said Mr. Everson. “That will help the area’s agricultural community. It would also prevent farmers from driving to Toronto at 3 a.m. in the morning (to buy and sell their goods).”

He pointed out farmers’ markets have become a popular attraction across the city from the downtown market, to the successful market near the Centre Mall. Mr. Everson said it makes sense to see if a food terminal can benefit the Hamilton-Niagara area.

Mr. Pasuta said the committee will be meeting with representatives of the Friends of the Greenbelt this week to discuss the issue. He hopes the organization can provide some funding to hire a consultant to conduct a feasibility study for a food terminal.

The Ontario Food Terminal, located at 165 Queensway in South Etobicoke, just off the Queen Elizabeth Way, is the largest wholesale fruit and produce distribution centre in Canada. Started in 1954, it houses short-term leaseholders, a cold storage facility, a farmers’ market with about 550 stalls, has 22 warehouse tenants, and over 5,000 buyers. Last June the Ontario Food Terminal Board commissioned a feasibility study to determine the potential areas for upgrades, including building new warehouse space.

MsMe
Dec 19, 2008, 1:47 AM
That sounds great. Plus with Stoney Creek so close to the Niagara farms, it just might draw in new farmers from that area.

emge
Dec 19, 2008, 6:55 AM
I'm guessing Niagara farms could/would be included in this?

Now that the Del Monte plant has shut down (http://www.thestar.com/comment/columnists/article/417212) and many Niagara-area farmers have subsequently uprooted their canning varieties in favour of those consumed fresh, a food terminal like this could be another regular, reliable source of income in its stead.

(I have family whose orchards were affected by this when it happened, so I hope that's the case if they proceed with this).

MsMe
Dec 19, 2008, 7:07 AM
That was my train of thought too Emge. Let's hope it happens for them. They won't gain back what they lost but at least this would be a start.

emge
Dec 19, 2008, 7:10 AM
I don't know if the article mentioned it, but many varieties of the trees the Niagara farmers have just planted take years to produce fruit, so they're currently banking on a market being there in the future for the varieties they've planted... I sure hope that's what happens.

In any case, a new food terminal in Stoney Creek would be great - not just for the immediate area, but even Guelph, Brantford, etc.

MsMe
Dec 19, 2008, 7:13 AM
I know some that pulled the trees out. Sad it had to come to this. :(

go_leafs_go02
Dec 19, 2008, 6:01 PM
it might be great for the farmers, but since alot of the market comes from Toronto and the GTA, having the buyers come down to Stoney Creek instead of the one in Toronto might be a potential problem.

I worked in summer 2007 for a relative who had a garden nursery (perennials) in the Niagara Peninsuala. It was a small business, but quite successful at that. had one of the largest stalls at the Food Terminal in Toronto. For that business, I really think they'd drive right past the Stoney Creek one, and just go to Toronto, because the bigger market is there, and a better chance at profitability.

Interesting idea however. And I know the Ontario Food Terminal is completely land-locked, and seemed to be getting more and more crowded every year.

MsMe
Dec 19, 2008, 6:24 PM
it might be great for the farmers, but since alot of the market comes from Toronto and the GTA, having the buyers come down to Stoney Creek instead of the one in Toronto might be a potential problem.

I worked in summer 2007 for a relative who had a garden nursery (perennials) in the Niagara Peninsuala. It was a small business, but quite successful at that. had one of the largest stalls at the Food Terminal in Toronto. For that business, I really think they'd drive right past the Stoney Creek one, and just go to Toronto, because the bigger market is there, and a better chance at profitability.

Interesting idea however. And I know the Ontario Food Terminal is completely land-locked, and seemed to be getting more and more crowded every year.

If they have enough employees too bad they couldn't have a booth at both. That would really boost their sales.

Hammer Native
Dec 19, 2008, 9:03 PM
I agree with Mitchell on the location, maybe that would kickstart the industrial park. Ancaster's and Stoney Creek have been coming along, and it doesn't sound like a Hamilton brownfield redevelopment is being considered, although that would be good. Anyway it would start to put that parkway to the use it was intended for.

Because the Ontario Food Terminal is so crowded, I wonder if there is getting to be companies that want space and can't get it.

hammergirl
Dec 20, 2008, 12:44 AM
They should build this where they are building one of the two Wal-Marts in the area.