PDA

View Full Version : Portland Film and Television

Chicago3rd
Jan 26, 2008, 4:17 PM
It was an okay movie. But they did do Portland justice. You should have seen the audience react when they panned from looking at the Willamette river (river only) panned up and over Portland looking east including much of the east all the way to Mt. Hood. People pointed.

zilfondel
Jan 27, 2008, 2:00 AM
Paranoid Park. New Gus Van Sant movie - takes place in Portland, under the Burnside Bridge. I've seen the trailer, looks really cool... I think it previews in a week or two.

sopdx
Jan 28, 2008, 1:34 AM
We're wet and psychotic...no wonder we have such great booze.

Tim the Enchanter
Jan 30, 2008, 1:39 AM
I give the movie 6 out of 10.

It did do a better job with Portland then The Haunted did.

PacificNW
Dec 8, 2008, 5:18 AM
Portland, and vicinity, looked great on the season finale tonight...Downtown aerial views, Voodoo Donuts, the Pittock Mansion, Bridge of the Gods and the Portland Building got pretty good plugs for future tourists.....

pdxman
Dec 8, 2008, 7:38 AM
^^^Someone should have told the contestants that you can't hail taxis from the street in portland. Oh well! I guess thats part of the fun. The team that won was smart to go to a hotel for a cab though.

pdx77
Dec 8, 2008, 5:37 PM
^^^Someone should have told the contestants that you can't hail taxis from the street in portland. Oh well! I guess thats part of the fun. The team that won was smart to go to a hotel for a cab though.

It's too bad they didn't realize they could of saved some time and walked a few blocks north to catch a cab at greyhound or union station.

dkealoha
Dec 8, 2008, 6:22 PM
Yea I thought downtown looked really great! You could tell how clean the streets were too (compared to most cities). I thought it was odd that as soon as they were done at Bridge of the Gods there was a whole fleet of Broadway Cab Prius cars waiting for them. I have NEVER seen one of these fabled Prius Cabs downtown.

JDRCRASH
Dec 8, 2008, 6:43 PM
The copter views of Portland were incredible.

BTW, I hope Dallas ends up getting with Starr!

PacificNW
Dec 8, 2008, 6:50 PM
Where were Dallas and his mom at the finish line? Maybe they are still in Moscow since he left their passports and money in a cab.. :) Yeah, I thought Portland looked great. You guys notice the construction on the transit mall going on during the filming?

dkealoha
Dec 8, 2008, 6:53 PM
Where were Dallas and his mom at the finish line? Maybe they are still in Moscow since he left their passports and money in a cab.. :) Yeah, I thought Portland looked great. You guys notice the construction on the transit mall going on during the filming?

Omg I totally didn't even notice they weren't there! Weird...

PacificNW
Dec 8, 2008, 7:44 PM
I just read the ArtsBeat section comments of the NY Times. Dallas, and his mom, were indeed in Moscow. Their passports didn't arrive in time for them to make the flight/finale in Portland. BTW, Nick is starring in an off Broadway production of "The Fantasticks". How is that for a little gossip on the forum? :)

alexjon
Dec 8, 2008, 7:50 PM

Haha, yes! They also could have taken the 20, 2 of which passed by behind them. It would have taken about 10 minutes to get to the NW Barnes stop and 5 minutes more if they ran.

Taking the cab route up there is frigging stupid, especially since they kinda just stood out there waiting.

Tim the Enchanter
Dec 8, 2008, 9:24 PM
I was unaware the show was even here.

pdx77
Dec 8, 2008, 9:26 PM
I was unaware the show was even here.

Yup, was here back in May

http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2008/05/amazing_race_how_sweet_the_sou.html

Tim the Enchanter
Dec 8, 2008, 9:29 PM
Did the local CBS news people promote it at all on the day when the show aired?

rsbear
Dec 9, 2008, 12:10 AM
I watched it on the 'net at my desk during my "lunch". Great 'copter shots of downtown.

zilfondel
Dec 9, 2008, 12:25 AM

Really?? I do all the time... :haha:

zilfondel
Dec 9, 2008, 1:38 AM
For those of you who missed it...

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race/video/video.php?cid=827787788&pid=jc4Fgay1x60JdU0pKS1hlEHtzFdMpRTg&play=true&cc=30

Joeplayer19
Dec 9, 2008, 11:27 AM
the show requires you to take a cab no matter what i believe

Dougall5505
Dec 9, 2008, 6:49 PM
For those of you who missed it...

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race/video/video.php?cid=827787788&pid=jc4Fgay1x60JdU0pKS1hlEHtzFdMpRTg&play=true&cc=30

thanks

pdxtraveler
Dec 10, 2008, 6:43 PM
Really?? I do all the time... :haha:

I know me too. I have only hailed cabs in Portland. Of course I only use them between the hours of 1030pm and 3am and they are always VERY plentiful at the time of day, at least in the areas I am at that time!

alexjon
Dec 11, 2008, 6:34 PM
the show requires you to take a cab no matter what i believe

Ugh, that sucks.

I would have been there almost immediately. Hop off the bus and wave my transfer at the camera.

zilfondel
Dec 13, 2008, 9:05 AM
I cant believe they had to go down to Newberg

MarkDaMan
Dec 14, 2008, 5:32 AM
Thanks Zilf for the link...was interesting watching...albeit a bit boring.

PacificNW
Feb 12, 2009, 11:04 PM
I just watched the Diane Lane DVD/movie "Untraceable" that was filmed in PDX. They had some pretty good shots of the city (aerial and street level). The movie, itself, was pretty average, imo.

urbanlife
Feb 13, 2009, 1:01 AM
I have heard that before. I remember when the trailer for it at a movie I was at, it was fun to see Portland on the big screen like that.

Downtown_Gal
Mar 3, 2009, 2:30 AM
From Portland Business Journal:

The TNT television series "Leverage" will soon call Oregon home.

The series will provide “long-term job opportunities and higher-than-average wages with benefits for Oregonians hired as cast and crew,” according to the Governor’s Film and Video Office.

Officials said the move will bring millions of dollars to the state.

“The decision to locate in Oregon is a clear indication that our incentive programs are working. State support for film and television creates jobs and brings a big return on investment for Oregon taxpayers,” said Gov. Ted Kulongoski, in a statement.

"Leverage" will begin shooting here as it opens production on its second season. It stars Academy Award winner Timothy Hutton.

The series was partly attracted by incentives offered through the Oregon Production Investment Fund and Greenlight Oregon.

Shooting throughout Oregon is set to begin in late spring.

JordanL
Mar 3, 2009, 3:16 AM
:cheers:

Anythign we can get... unemployment is over 10%...

Downtown_Gal
May 6, 2009, 5:13 PM
Saw Keri Russell last night in the Pearl... she's here filming Crowley with Harrison Ford and Brendan Fraser. It was pretty fun to see a celebrity on our fair streets!

Okstate
May 6, 2009, 8:04 PM
^ I saw her at the Pine State Biscuits booth at the park blocks farmers market a couple weeks ago. Noone was even acknowledging her presence (which is nice for her). I was in line directly behind her & we had a little chat. Pretty neat.

65MAX
May 7, 2009, 12:58 AM
Noone was even acknowledging her presence.....
Keri who? Is she supposed to be famous? I've never heard of her.

ue
May 7, 2009, 1:32 AM
Good job Portland!

Okstate
May 7, 2009, 2:21 AM
Keri who? Is she supposed to be famous? I've never heard of her.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02ONfdBbKN4Su/340x.jpg

Going off of imdb.com Some stuff she's been in:

-Bedtime Stories
-August Rush
-mission impossible III
-Felicity (tv show- she is "felicity")
-We were soldiers
-Clerks

pdxman
May 7, 2009, 5:37 AM
Had a friend tell me Harrison Ford was at REI in the pearl a few days ago. Wish I could have been there!

WonderlandPark
May 7, 2009, 5:41 AM
Harrison Ford walked around the office!!! He got a coffee!!!!. I guess this excites people, but I just work here. Still don't understand celebrity worship (or sports figure worship, musician worship, whatever)

65MAX
May 7, 2009, 11:09 AM
Going off of imdb.com Some stuff she's been in:

-Bedtime Stories
-August Rush
-mission impossible III
-Felicity (tv show- she is "felicity")
-We were soldiers
-Clerks

Ah, haven't seen any of those. No offense to Keri, I'm sure she's a fine actress, but even if I knew who she was, I just don't get excited when I see someone "famous". Guess I wouldn't make a good papparazzo.

JordanL
May 7, 2009, 1:13 PM
Ah, haven't seen any of those. No offense to Keri, I'm sure she's a fine actress, but even if I knew who she was, I just don't get excited when I see someone "famous". Guess I wouldn't make a good papparazzo.

Go watch Clerks right now.:tup:

Downtown_Gal
May 7, 2009, 5:45 PM
Harrison Ford walked around the office!!! He got a coffee!!!!. I guess this excites people, but I just work here. Still don't understand celebrity worship (or sports figure worship, musician worship, whatever)

Having my interest piqued by seeing someone famous in Portland (which is pretty rare) hardly qualifies as worshiping celebrities. I just thought it might be interesting to mention.

Okstate
May 7, 2009, 7:53 PM

Why would Keri take offense to 65MAX in Portland Oregon not knowing who she was? I'm sure if the right celeb walked past, you would do a double take at the very least. We just said we saw someone period. I doubt any of us were peeing our pants with excitement.

PacificNW
Jan 24, 2011, 6:35 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/24/us/24portlandia.html?_r=1&src=ISMR_AP_LO_MST_FB

Derek
Aug 19, 2012, 4:41 AM
I'm not sure how many of you watch NBC's Grimm (or how many of you will even see this thread), but I just had dinner at the Irving Street Kitchen and the show's leading actor, David Giuntoli, sat at the table right next to ours! He's a very cool guy! :D

Also, it's great seeing them film all over the city. Portland is a very good actor. :tup:

rsbear
Aug 19, 2012, 5:56 AM
Love the show and the way they depict Portland. Very different take on the city.

Downtown_Gal
Aug 19, 2012, 9:08 PM
Speaking of Portland on TV, I'm not sure if any of you watch Leverage but this season, instead of the show taking in place in Boston but being filmed here it is actually taking place in Portland too.

Norelco
Aug 20, 2012, 3:22 AM
Speaking of Portland on TV, I'm not sure if any of you watch Leverage but this season, instead of the show taking in place in Boston but being filmed here it is actually taking place in Portland too.

We were very excited about that. We've stalked the crew for a couple of years and this year watched filming at PSU. It was fun watching the "Boston" scenes and recognizing our great city. This year, they can own it 100 percent!

I'm not a big fan of Grimm, but have watched them shoot up at the house near the Veteran's hospital.

Derek
Aug 20, 2012, 4:05 AM
Back in June, Director's Park was transformed into a Washington D.C. transit hub. Had FBI agents and D.C. police cars. I can't figure out what it was for though.

Sioux612
Nov 29, 2012, 11:03 PM
Back in 2006 they were planning on a huge expansion with a new campus. With their huge success of their first two movies you'd think they would revive this project and get out of their small sad building they currently sit in.

Caroline and Paranorman together have grossed $222+ million at the box office.

Hillsboro:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Laika_studio_-_Hillsboro%2C_Oregon.JPG/800px-Laika_studio_-_Hillsboro%2C_Oregon.JPG

Stalled project:
http://static.worldarchitecturenews.com/news_images/918_1_1000%20TVA%20Laika.jpg

PDX City-State
Nov 30, 2012, 12:30 AM
Back in 2006 they were planning on a huge expansion with a new campus. With their huge success of their first two movies you'd think they would revive this project and get out of their small sad building they currently sit in.

Caroline and Paranorman together have grossed $222+ million at the box office.

If I'm not mistaken, they moved most of their production to Hillsboro, no?

cab
Nov 30, 2012, 7:43 PM
Foolish. Should have stayed in NW PDX. Could have developed into Conway. Hard to see any creativity coming out of that box. I wonder what happen to Knight that he detests cities so much. Or is it a god/control complex.

urbanlife
Dec 30, 2012, 9:53 PM
Definitely loving this show, it is kind of our little dose of Portland. I have even gotten into watching Leverage, and will probably end up laughing at MTV and their poor portrayal of Portland with the Real World.

Downtown_Gal
Apr 25, 2013, 4:08 PM
Just in case anyone is interested. Michelle Lesniak Franklin (http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-11/designers/michelle-lesniak-franklin), from Portland, has made it to the final four on Project Runway this season. The finale is tonight and this is from her facebook page:

"It all happens on Thursday night and if you are in Portland join me at the Backstage Bar dressed up in your fanciest outfits and watch the final episode and runway show on the big screen at 9pm. Raffle prizes featuring items from jewelry from Anne Bocci Boutique & Gallery and McMenamins Pubs, Breweries & Historic Hotels and some hand picked items from me! After the show stick around for music from Redwood Son and don't forget about the fancy drinks like the Shiny Sparkler! WIN or LOSE it's gonna be a party! Hope to see you all there. (It's free, but 21 and over)"

It's always nice to see Portland well-represented and I think she's totally going to win. Also, if she wins she will be the 4th winner from the Portland area out of 11 seasons. :cheers: