PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Ottawa Meet

Pages : 1 [2]

waterloowarrior
Apr 15, 2009, 8:51 PM
I'm still good to go!

Rathgrith
Apr 16, 2009, 12:19 AM
I'm still a go... unless zombies attack.

flar
Apr 16, 2009, 12:26 AM
I'll be there.

harls
Apr 16, 2009, 1:15 PM
oh, speaking of the Oak...don't eat the "Bangers in a blanket" I did this last night, and my liver and kidneys (and heart for that matter) are still complaining today...lol

That's probably what they put into it.

Ottawade
Apr 16, 2009, 1:53 PM
I'm still in

waterloowarrior
Apr 17, 2009, 5:25 AM
is street parking downtown still free during the evenings? I usually park on Besserer (at a metered spot that never seems to be used)

Mille Sabords
Apr 17, 2009, 12:39 PM
is street parking downtown still free during the evenings? I usually park on Besserer (at a metered spot that never seems to be used)

Yes, on street parking is no problem at this time of the evening. You're OK on Laurier if you find a spot, and instead of Besserer go to Wilbrod or Stewart, there's no meters on either of those streets.

d_jeffrey
Apr 17, 2009, 3:24 PM
You guys will hate me, but I'm sick at home, didn't go to work today. I have fever, so it really sucks. :(

Mille Sabords
Apr 17, 2009, 8:10 PM
That's too bad d_jeffrey, I was looking forward to more of your philosophical gems on women and other topics :D

See you next time, don't bring us your fever. There's about 6-7 people confirmed so we are a go. I'll be there at 8.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Apr 17, 2009, 11:32 PM
Have a beer for me, guys. ;)

Aylmer
Apr 18, 2009, 12:37 AM
Me as well!

:)

Norman Bates
Apr 18, 2009, 4:17 AM
Well I'm just back from the meet and what a wonderful meet it was.

First off, there was a very good turn out. About ten members came, with all of your favorite posters present and accounted for.

Secondly, there were no freaks or geeks reminiscent of the last time you attended a Star Trek convention. Not even Norman Bates!

Thirdly, the conversation was sprite, erudite and stimulating. It seemed like it could have easily gone on all night long - and it still was when I left at 23h30.

Some questions were answered and some remained - including the true identity of Southfacing... But the bigger question is why you weren't there?

Our next meet is planned to coincide with Open Doors Ottawa. So now it's your turn to come out of the shadows and join your SkyscraperPage Forum colleagues the next time.

Rathgrith
Apr 18, 2009, 4:55 AM
It was great meeting everyone. I'm just glad that Norman Bates is not actually Norman Bates. :P Pwwww.

I like this idea of Doors Open Ottawa. We should turn it into a BBQ. Hmmmm.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Apr 18, 2009, 4:58 AM
It was great meeting everyone. I'm just glad that Norman Bates is not actually Norman Bates. :P Pwwww.

I like this idea of Doors Open Ottawa. We should turn it into a BBQ. Hmmmm.

I like the way you think. :tup:

waterloowarrior
Apr 18, 2009, 5:27 AM
It was great to meet everyone! Looking forward to the next meet. BBQ sounds good!

Mille Sabords
Apr 18, 2009, 11:33 AM
:cheers: Good times, and definitely great to put faces to avatars. How about making HP the place for that BBQ?

highdensitysprawl
Apr 18, 2009, 1:25 PM
:cheers: How about making HP the place for that BBQ?

You want to go all the way to Cupertino, CA to discuss urban issues in Ottawa?:banana: :jester: :cheers:

O-Town Hockey
Apr 18, 2009, 2:24 PM
Have a beer for me, guys. ;)

We definately had our (and your) share of beers last night. It was a great turnout and nice to finally meet all of you. I guess we now know who's got all the inside info and we should take their posts very seriously ;).

Ottawade
Apr 18, 2009, 4:52 PM
Great meet! Can't wait to do it again.

As I mentioned while I was leaving Jane's walk Ottawa will be taking place in a couple of weeks: http://www.janeswalkottawa.ca/

There is a potential for a mini-meet during that time. Doors open Ottawa is taking place June 6 & 7 according to the city's website. Keep your calendars open!

harls
Apr 18, 2009, 5:15 PM
Nice meeting y'all! It was a successful turnout.

I like that HP bbq idea, too :eat:

Davis137
Apr 18, 2009, 9:32 PM
Wish I could have come, but the misses is over 8 months pregnant with my Daughter now (she's joining our family on the 15th of may at 8am), and needs my help with things...

I will try and come in the future!

Glad everyone enjoyed themselves!

cityguy
Apr 18, 2009, 10:52 PM
It was great to meet all of you,I really enjoyed it.See you in June.

flar
Apr 19, 2009, 2:26 AM
Nice to meet you all, a good time and I learned some interesting stuff about Ottawa from the discussion. Count me in for the next meet.

Norman Bates
Jul 9, 2009, 1:31 AM
I think there are enough members now to have a successful meeting event. So before I leave town, it would be nice to finally meet some people (and punch others).I've got a feeling that the time is ripe for another meet?

So what do y'all say?

d_jeffrey
Jul 9, 2009, 1:58 AM
I've got a feeling that the time is ripe for another meet?

So what do y'all say?

I'm leaving August 15 ;)

Rathgrith
Jul 9, 2009, 5:31 PM
Summer time is always diffcult. Plan ahead and we should go for Octoberish I think

Norman Bates
Jul 10, 2009, 2:44 AM
Ah yes, but during these rare warm days we can sit on a patio somewhere and enjoy a little bit of the urban wildlife.

harls
Aug 5, 2009, 7:10 PM
Let's do this before djeffrey misses his punchout chance!

Norman Bates
Aug 6, 2009, 3:00 AM
Why not do it at the Merlot? What better place, than from a 28 story panorama, to critique the city's architecture?

harls
Aug 6, 2009, 3:17 AM
This is a great suggestion.

Mille Sabords
Aug 6, 2009, 1:21 PM
Funny, I was just thinking about another meet. Perfect way to end the summer. I'm in.

Rathgrith
Aug 6, 2009, 5:20 PM
Figure out these details soon guys and gals as I will be out in BC for the rest of August.

Norman Bates
Aug 7, 2009, 12:25 AM
Option One:

Sunday brunch at the Merlot. $34 and all you can eat. It's an excellent brunch. They're open 10h30 - 14h00.

Option Two:

A weeknight at the Merlot. The menu is a little pricey but no one says that you have to order a meal if you don't want to. You could just have drinks or a dessert. Right now the view of the city is good until 20h30.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Aug 7, 2009, 4:50 AM
Well I leave for school in North Bay in roughly one week, so I probably won't be able to make it.

Mille Sabords
Aug 8, 2009, 1:22 AM
OK then let's shoot for Thursday night (the 13th). Brunch is no good for me, but post-kids bedtime will work.

waterloowarrior
Aug 8, 2009, 1:35 AM
13th drinks should be good for me as well

Jamaican-Phoenix
Aug 8, 2009, 2:48 AM
ooh, I may be able to do Thursday night. I'd leave for North Bay Friday morning though...

waterloowarrior
Aug 9, 2009, 4:15 AM
d_jeffrey closed his account!

Norman Bates
Aug 10, 2009, 1:35 AM
Alright gentlemen, we need a date, time and location.

flar
Aug 10, 2009, 1:40 AM
I'll do my best to make it, I think Thursday is ok for me.

Mille Sabords
Aug 10, 2009, 12:10 PM
I'm a go for Thursday eve. Who else?

Bates, your suggestion is a good one, it's been years since I've been to that revolving restaurant. I suppose we need a reservation? If that's the case, can everyone RSVP let's say within a couple of days?

harls
Aug 10, 2009, 12:25 PM
Can't do it. Wife works nights.

Norman Bates
Aug 10, 2009, 11:40 PM
I can do Thursday night - but given that Harls is out nights - what about Sunday for brunch. It's awesome at Merlot.

Mille Sabords
Aug 11, 2009, 1:49 AM
I can do Thursday night - but given that Harls is out nights - what about Sunday for brunch. It's awesome at Merlot.

That won't work for me, unfortunately. But let me know if Thursday's a go. :cheers:

waterloowarrior
Aug 11, 2009, 1:51 AM
I can't do Sunday either

m0nkyman
Aug 11, 2009, 2:51 AM
I'm out for nights as well. Sunday Brunch would work for me.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Aug 11, 2009, 9:01 PM
I'll be in North Bay come Sunday...

Mille Sabords
Aug 12, 2009, 1:39 AM
If we go for Thursday please let me know so I can get my exit visa approved in time...

Proof Sheet
Aug 12, 2009, 9:24 PM
If we go for Thursday please let me know so I can get my exit visa approved in time...

You mean you are not in charge of your own social life:banana:

Mille Sabords
Aug 13, 2009, 2:17 AM
You mean you are not in charge of your own social life:banana:

That's right my friend. My two children are. :cheers:

Rathgrith
Aug 13, 2009, 6:35 AM
^Man, those kids must be mean bureaucrats, not letting you go out at all. They must get really pooped whenever you try to have any kind of social life without them.

flar
Aug 13, 2009, 11:31 AM
^^just wait till you have some :haha:

Mille Sabords
Aug 13, 2009, 12:33 PM
^Man, those kids must be mean bureaucrats, not letting you go out at all. They must get really pooped whenever you try to have any kind of social life without them.

:haha: Bureaucrats is right. You try to vary the routine by a tiny bit and it's a jam to the system! You can try to be creative, you can try to have a bit of imagination... "but kids, it's only a couple beers to talk about city planning and tall buildings" and you always get the same response: "We've never done it this way before! We can't deal with this!" :D

harls
Aug 13, 2009, 1:37 PM
Yeah, I miss those carefree days when you could go out and do whatever, whenever. Now, the only time I get some 'me' time is when I go to work.

Number 2 is due in March, so I'll have even less time after that! :D

Mille Sabords
Aug 13, 2009, 3:54 PM
Yeah, I miss those carefree days when you could go out and do whatever, whenever. Now, the only time I get some 'me' time is when I go to work.

Number 2 is due in March, so I'll have even less time after that! :D

Congrats dude! You're in for a tough first year but the advantage of two is that they start playing together, and number two learns a lot quicker. I'm at that point now and with both sleeping full nights (or almost) I'm getting a lot more "me time" - hence I'm able to partake of evening beers after bedtime. We still have the smaller one waking up from time to time (at 16 months) so I'm careful not to abusively go out... but it gets easier!

waterloowarrior
Aug 13, 2009, 4:59 PM
CongrAts harls!

So what's happening with the meet?

Mille Sabords
Aug 13, 2009, 5:11 PM
By the looks of it, tonight doesn't seem to be on, which is too bad since we'll miss Jamaican Phoenix and maybe others. Sunday brunch is still hanging there as a possibility for those who can. If that falls through (and even if it doesn't) I would still be interested in evening beverages before the end of summer.

harls
Aug 14, 2009, 1:00 AM
Thanks gents. Hasn't really sunk in yet that I'll be a dad again. Still getting used to the 2007 model year.

I hope you guys still do the Merlot place.. sounds like an awesome experience. :tup:

I have a proposal for the next meet - the new micro brewery in Hull (http://www.brasseursdutemps.com/) on Montcalm. Anyone up for it? Probably not till September, though. I've got the next 3 weekends booked for camping. good GOD I'm going to be sick of camping..

Norman Bates
Aug 14, 2009, 1:41 AM
Sorry lads I just got home from the salt mine a few minutes ago. All on my dime too. Nothin' like workin' for nothin'.

I'm still a go for Sunday brunch. It's really yummy there at Merlot and the view is even better than the chew!

cityguy
Aug 19, 2009, 10:17 PM
Norman,I'm a little worried about a man that used the word YUMMY.

Norman Bates
Aug 20, 2009, 1:14 AM
Norman,I'm a little worried about a man that used the word YUMMY.Wow, that's a relief! Most people are much more worried about my other attributes.

cityguy
Aug 20, 2009, 11:33 AM
:jester: LOL

Jamaican-Phoenix
Aug 20, 2009, 6:00 PM
Congrats Harls! :D