PDA

View Full Version : Surrey/South Fraser Updates

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Shift
Sep 8, 2016, 6:54 PM
Agreed. This should get a thread of its own...

Anyways this tower would help gentrify the area a lot. As soon as we have some more students, and residents (from the other towers), then the area is going to become more desirable, and eventually, more livable and less dangerous. It's a great proposal and another step in the right direction for Surrey.

Surrey Central is not dangerous. Try going to an inner US city in decline. Surrey Central is on an upswing. Lots of young families and professionals living in the area now, and during the week it's bustling with students, commuters, office workers. It's the media that perpetuates this reputation more than anything. Sure there are shady people, but there are also shady people Downtown Vancouver.

Once this project is complete, in conjunction with the SFU expansion, and KPU, Surrey Central will have a fairly significant cluster of educational institutions forming a real node for universities and colleges in the region. This will be a big draw for people to Surrey City Centre and will give the downtown some substance rather than just condos. This education district will likely also from a nice synergy with the developing 'Innovation Boulevard' medical sciences/research district just to the south around Surrey Memorial Hospital.

logicbomb
Sep 8, 2016, 8:04 PM
Surrey Central is not dangerous. Try going to an inner US city in decline. Surrey Central is on an upswing. Lots of young families and professionals living in the area now, and during the week it's bustling with students, commuters, office workers. It's the media that perpetuates this reputation more than anything. Sure there are shady people, but there are also shady people Downtown Vancouver.

Yeah, Surrey Central Station used to be a haven for nonsense about 10-15 years ago. It's gotten progressively better with more enforcement and storefront restaurants. Gateway is a completely different story as you don't want to be walking around that area at night.

It's unfortunate because the new Quattro Developments was supposed to inject a new vibe into the neighborhood but the strata and property management firm have barely addressed several prevalent issues that still exist there.

From what I have heard and seen....

You have owners renting out their place to shaddy people or new refugees who are unfamiliar with the bylaws or refuse to adhere to the bylaws.
Multiple families living in 1 bedroom/2 bedroom units.
The interior is not well kept and it looks like utter shit. Numerous bed bugs and cockroach infestations.
Thefts and break-and-entries are a regular occurrence and there is evidence that suspects are living on the premises (no forced entry into storage or parkade).
An obvious brothel continues to operate across the street...

Despite the newish appearance, it seems like a total ghetto already.

Shift
Sep 8, 2016, 8:52 PM
The Quattro area is quite far from Surrey Central, completely different neighbourhood. Have driven by and feels a bit like the DTES. Quattro itself looks nice enough from the outside. Will have to wait and see what Tien Sher's next project (towers) can do for the area right at 108 and King George. That area seems like it will be the last to gentrify while Surrey Central becomes desirable.

Jebby
Sep 8, 2016, 9:08 PM
The Quattro area is quite far from Surrey Central, completely different neighbourhood. Have driven by and feels a bit like the DTES. Quattro itself looks nice enough from the outside. Will have to wait and see what Tien Sher's next project (towers) can do for the area right at 108 and King George. That area seems like it will be the last to gentrify while Surrey Central becomes desirable.

Well across Whalley Blvd they're building Venue, which by the advertising seems to appeal to hipster douchebags.

s211
Sep 8, 2016, 9:43 PM
"MEGA" Centre???

What are we all now, like fourteen or something again?

SFUVancouver
Sep 8, 2016, 10:07 PM
Interesting to see the company market itself via www.studenthotel.ca. I recently stayed at The Student Hotel in Rotterdam, which is a pretty awesome art hotel-hostel-student residence that's been the darling of the Dutch design set and has been featured in Wallpaper.

https://www.thestudenthotel.com/rotterdam/

scryer
Sep 8, 2016, 10:57 PM

Once this project is complete, in conjunction with the SFU expansion, and KPU, Surrey Central will have a fairly significant cluster of educational institutions forming a real node for universities and colleges in the region. This will be a big draw for people to Surrey City Centre and will give the downtown some substance rather than just condos. This education district will likely also from a nice synergy with the developing 'Innovation Boulevard' medical sciences/research district just to the south around Surrey Memorial Hospital.

See I knew that I would catch this kind of backlash with my post.

I have lived in Surrey Central, Guildford, and in the west end of downtown Vancouver in the last couple of years or so. I will tell you now that there is still a big difference, to me, living in Surrey Central in comparison to Guildford. Safety was one of these differences and I still feel that Surrey Central has a long way to go.

Now here are my disclaimers:

1. I never said that Surrey was decaying or not in an upswing.
2. I never said that Surrey doesn't have anything going for it; in fact I have been very supportive of all of Surrey's developments.

SO before jumping down my throat with facts left and right, and saying that I should visit some shithole down south (which I don't have the time for) or that I am a victim of media manipulation, re-read what I posted.

And just to reiterate: Although this proposal is a step in the right direction for Surrey, Surrey still has a long path ahead of it. And one tower, although don't get me wrong may have a fairly significant impact, won't change the entire neighbourhood. This is where those other educational proposals come in :cheers:

retro_orange
Sep 9, 2016, 12:22 AM
Yeah north Surrey still has a ways to go with crime. I lived in Guildford about 10 years ago for less than 3 years in an older townhouse complex. Our place got broken into once and the car got stolen once and once someone switched the licence plates with suspended ones from a similar car. The complex was mature (1970) great quality construction with amazing landscaping but the crime aspect was a big turn off as other residents dealt with alot too. It felt like the complex needed to be turned into a gated community, security cameras and everything. I also had several disturbing confrontations with crackheads in the Surrey Central/Gateway area.

Shift
Sep 9, 2016, 12:36 AM
I just moved to the Surrey Central area a year ago (after living Downtown Toronto and Downtown Vancouver over the past decade) and can already see the area changing in just this short time. Seeing more and more young families, students, and professionals walking about that live in the area, and pedestrian activity seems to be increasing. It doesn't have a long way to go in my view of it, living and walking around here daily. Surrey Central is on the cusp of a major transformation over the next 5 years. Not denying the crime and issues in the surrounding area, although i've never had an issue, but the core area of Surrey Central is more what I'm referring to.

Blease
Sep 9, 2016, 3:43 AM
See I knew that I would catch this kind of backlash with my post.

SO before jumping down my throat with facts left and right, and saying that I should visit some shithole down south (which I don't have the time for) or that I am a victim of media manipulation, re-read what I posted

Shift simply offered you his point of view, he commented on your comment. That was it. What backlash are you ranting on about?

osirisboy
Sep 9, 2016, 3:57 AM
Shift simply offered you his point of view, he commented on your comment. That was it. What backlash are you ranting on about?

Right. but shift does get defensive when people say something negative about Surrey.

So all of that aside, although this "mega centre" is great the area still has a long way to go. I was down there a few times last week and man it's still predominately a sea of strip malls. That said central mall was busy af I was pleasantly surprised

GMasterAres
Sep 11, 2016, 4:51 AM
Can you guys cut out the crime crap. It's old now on both sides and just goes in circles. There's crime (http://www.cknw.com/2016/09/10/ridge-meadows-mounties-issue-warning-after-stranger-pops-up-in-suv/) and dangerous shit (http://www.cknw.com/2016/09/09/community-activist-shocked-city-of-vancouver-didnt-clean-up-drug-paraphernalia-at-childrens-playground) everywhere, let's focus on this and other projects.

*sigh*

GMasterAres
Sep 11, 2016, 4:57 AM
So all of that aside, although this "mega centre" is great the area still has a long way to go. I was down there a few times last week and man it's still predominately a sea of strip malls. That said central mall was busy af I was pleasantly surprised

Definitely. It's not easy for a suburban highway-retail city center to transform. Surrey Central also suffers from some really oddly shaped properties. Makes it difficult to actually develop things and strip malls often have leases to contend with.

That said, there are a lot of open fields in that area once you head North of 104th that could stand to have some construction sooner than later.

Other thing of note on this project is based on the bigger render it appears as though the building will be facing 90 degrees to 3 Civic. So where 3 Civic is positioned to the wide part of the building is facing east<>west, this tower is positioned so the wide part is north<>south. I think that will go along way towards helping the skyline even more. Especially driving up and down King George where it will start to fill in gaps.

Sheba
Sep 11, 2016, 6:37 AM
Can you guys cut out the crime crap. It's old now on both sides and just goes in circles. There's crime (http://www.cknw.com/2016/09/10/ridge-meadows-mounties-issue-warning-after-stranger-pops-up-in-suv/) and dangerous shit (http://www.cknw.com/2016/09/09/community-activist-shocked-city-of-vancouver-didnt-clean-up-drug-paraphernalia-at-childrens-playground) everywhere, let's focus on this and other projects.

*sigh*

There's no winning sometimes...

Definitely. It's not easy for a suburban highway-retail city center to transform. Surrey Central also suffers from some really oddly shaped properties. Makes it difficult to actually develop things and strip malls often have leases to contend with.

That said, there are a lot of open fields in that area once you head North of 104th that could stand to have some construction sooner than later.

There will be the Hub at King George Station, then all the buildings around Surrey Central Station, and then Gateway Station has, well not much. I'd love to see that semicircle just north of the existing towers there be built out with something.

I remember there was a proposal for the lot at 104th and King George (where The Brick / Sears has an outlet) - has there been any movement on that? With any luck that would help kick start development on the underused lots neighbouring it.

Speaking of odd shapes, I'd like to see Whalley Blvd straightened out - but that would take more redevelopment and future planning than I think is likely to happen anytime soon. Most of the attention is on the land west of King George.

GMasterAres
Sep 12, 2016, 2:33 AM
There's no winning sometimes...

There will be the Hub at King George Station, then all the buildings around Surrey Central Station, and then Gateway Station has, well not much. I'd love to see that semicircle just north of the existing towers there be built out with something.

I remember there was a proposal for the lot at 104th and King George (where The Brick / Sears has an outlet) - has there been any movement on that? With any luck that would help kick start development on the underused lots neighbouring it.

That whole section between King George and University is owned by Bosa. The development you're talking about is University District. The first building just nearing completion across the street (sort-of). The next phase will be the two buildings to go up next to the existing co-op tower. It is a large field right now so will deal with 1 of those fields.

It's happening slowly, but between there and Gateway is a lot of flat low level and empty lots that have no movement or anything in the works. Hopefully that changes sooner than later or Surrey Central will just be a bunch of density around 3 SkyTrain stations and nothing in between. Not really a true urban environment to me.

Speaking of odd shapes, I'd like to see Whalley Blvd straightened out - but that would take more redevelopment and future planning than I think is likely to happen anytime soon. Most of the attention is on the land west of King George.

I don't think the angle is the issue, just the fact Surrey Central was largely zoned as highway commercial. So you end up with a bunch of really tiny lots beside a bunch of massive lots. That's largely why the city wants to build all the new roads and create a more proper grid network. But a lot of that requires breaking up lots or cutting into properties that never had right-of-ways.

Not an easy or quick thing to do unfortunately.

Shift
Sep 12, 2016, 3:07 AM
The City Centre grid will eventually get built out as sites develop. Seeing the beginning of it with Prime and Evolve both dedicating portions of their sites for the new 103 Ave, and next with the SFU building, and the 50 Storey Education Centre to dedicate portions of their site for the new 102A Ave.

There's no denying that the City Centre is predominantly strip malls right now and has a long way to go overall. The block around Surrey Central will come together much sooner. What matters is that Surrey has a solid plan in place for the City Centre to become a true downtown, and the interesting thing will be watching it build out over time.

Sheba
Sep 12, 2016, 3:50 AM
I wish one of the towers would be pushed back a bit (likely to happen anyway at this point) and they redo the strip malls on King George south of 96th instead. For the cost of a tower they could redo a lot of small retail to lowrise buildings with ground retail and a couple floors of office or residential above, and 99% of the parking underground. That would go a lot way to wiping out the image of Surrey as strip mall nirvana.
:cheers:

iron
Sep 12, 2016, 6:49 PM
Just saw this article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/site-of-beloved-surrey-roller-rink-to-become-an-education-mega-centre-1.3756268

Sounds like it's describing the roller hockey arena and building on the corner of 102 and City Parkway?

Don't know if there's corresponding documents on the city website yet.

Sheba
Sep 12, 2016, 10:42 PM
It's all over the previous page here. It's the lot where Stardust used to be.

iron
Sep 13, 2016, 4:14 AM
Oops, my bad. I missed the previous page.

GMasterAres
Sep 14, 2016, 4:49 AM
So I just got word from a friend about a project by Anthem Properties. This is the company developing Station Square by Metrotown. Didn't have a lot of info other than some basic info then pointing me to their web site:

https://www.anthemproperties.com/property-detail/homes/Surrey-City-Centre/2370

Also said the location is for the mall where Canadian Tire and A&W are located and the project in planning is basically what the web site says:

1.5 million square foot community in Surrey Central. Completion would see 7 total towers above new retail and office space creating a mixed use central hub. No heights or further details at this stage. Curious if anyone else has information or has heard anything beyond this. The address itself given on the web site is the address of A&W today.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/13645+102+Ave,+Surrey,+BC+V3T+1N7/@49.1867274,-122.8450893,1318m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x5485d9d50b67f403:0x9d8a2ff12f2817c5!8m2!3d49.1880159!4d-122.8436944

The property was sold (looks like to Anthem Properties) in 2015 some time so doesn't look to be something that is a pipe dream from a decade ago, but rather really quite recent:

Private sale October 2015
10312 King George Boulevard & 13645-13665 102nd Avenue ($62.5M)
Source: Avison Young - British Columbia Real Estate Investment Review - Year-End 2015 (http://www.avisonyoung.com/fileDownloader.php?file=files/content-files/Offices/Vancouver/Research/2015/Vancouver_InvestmentReview_YE2015.pdf)

10312 KGB = Save On, 13645 = A&W, 13665 = Canadian Tire. So basically that whole mall excluding McDonalds and the Gas Station or basically nearly everything between KGB and Whalley Boulevard, 102 AVE and the future 103 Ave. Maybe we'll get our dreams of the central core starting to really fill out and it would put pressure to redevelop other lands around like the Safeway and space between.

Cypherus
Sep 14, 2016, 4:55 AM
Thanks for the info jhausner.

Couldn't help but notice Surrey may have its own twin tower.

http://i.imgur.com/lC0Fsv8.jpg

Whalleyboy
Sep 14, 2016, 6:21 AM
Thanks for the info jhausner.

Couldn't help but notice Surrey may have its own twin tower.

http://i.imgur.com/lC0Fsv8.jpg

Poor 3civic tower wont get to stand out alone that long if this happens.

Whalleyboy
Sep 14, 2016, 6:29 AM
So I just got word from a friend about a project by Anthem Properties. This is the company developing Station Square by Metrotown. Didn't have a lot of info other than some basic info then pointing me to their web site:

Also said the location is for the mall where Canadian Tire and A&W are located and the project in planning is basically what the web site says:

1.5 million square foot community in Surrey Central. Completion would see 7 total towers above new retail and office space creating a mixed use central hub. No heights or further details at this stage. Curious if anyone else has information or has heard anything beyond this. The address itself given on the web site is the address of A&W today.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/13645+102+Ave,+Surrey,+BC+V3T+1N7/@49.1867274,-122.8450893,1318m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x5485d9d50b67f403:0x9d8a2ff12f2817c5!8m2!3d49.1880159!4d-122.8436944

The property was sold (looks like to Anthem Properties) in 2015 some time so doesn't look to be something that is a pipe dream from a decade ago, but rather really quite recent:

10312 KGB = Save On, 13645 = A&W, 13665 = Canadian Tire. So basically that whole mall excluding McDonalds and the Gas Station or basically nearly everything between KGB and Whalley Boulevard, 102 AVE and the future 103 Ave. Maybe we'll get our dreams of the central core starting to really fill out and it would put pressure to redevelop other lands around like the Safeway and space between.

If this is the case and save on and canadian tire are being torn down....Maybe save on will be moving to the hub?

CoryHolmes
Sep 15, 2016, 1:06 AM
If this is the case and save on and canadian tire are being torn down....Maybe save on will be moving to the hub?

Or they're going to do what the City of Lougheed and Brentwood are doing, tear down the large box stores, build the towers, and reopen the stores in the commercial space in the base of the buildings.

I really like that concept, and I even like how Plaza 88 executed it (though it could be better). It'd help the towers meet the street level and wouldn't detract from the walkability of the area as much.

officedweller
Sep 15, 2016, 1:46 AM
Sounds promising - good to see they mention office space.
Looks like the Chevron and McDonalds are on different parcels.

Sheba
Sep 15, 2016, 1:50 AM
Or they're going to do what the City of Lougheed and Brentwood are doing, tear down the large box stores, build the towers, and reopen the stores in the commercial space in the base of the buildings.

I really like that concept, and I even like how Plaza 88 executed it (though it could be better). It'd help the towers meet the street level and wouldn't detract from the walkability of the area as much.

With any luck they'll use Station Square as a blueprint. If it's from the lane (to be converted to 103rd) behind Save On and Canadian Tire down to 102nd (excepting the gas station and McDonalds?) then at a cursory glace it looks like a bigger property. Retail and office podiums with underground parking and towers on top would look great there. I wasn't holding out much hope that the east side of King George north of 100th was going to get any attention in the next few decades.

Katherine S
Sep 16, 2016, 6:37 AM
The city finally updated the Sept 12 Planning Reports page of their website and there was more information on the cloverdale west village site:

http://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcouncillibrary/PLR_7916-0106-00.pdf

It seems the SCDC have scrapped the original plans and have removed them from their website:

https://scdc.ca/project/cloverdale-west-village/

The differences between the current plans and the original are mainly the changes from mixed use to townhouse zoning and the removal of the previously planned plaza area. I'm particularly upset about the changes as the now updated plan doesn't actually enhance Cloverdale like the old plan; it's now just adding more homes to an otherwise quiet and sedate town centre.

Shift
Sep 17, 2016, 12:55 AM

Nice info! That is a massive site with a lot of potential. 7 towers with retail and office sounds promising, especially with Anthem as the developer.

The site contains 2 future road extensions and a new Green Lane that the city wants to see built, so this project would see all those constructed. It would continue the extension of the re-aligned 102A Ave that will:
Start at SFU -> through the existing Surrey Central Bus Loop -> through the 50 Storey Education Centre site to King George Blvd - And now finally through that mega block between KGB and Whalley Blvd with this proposal.

The plan below shows the new roads to be built in the area as per the City Centre plan, and how each of these developments is facilitating it.

Exciting times for Surrey City Centre!

Also the McDonalds site adjacent to the Anthem site is currently under application for a renovation. Curious as to if the plan will respond to the 102A extention that is supposed align along its north edge.

http://i.imgur.com/ELFX14j.jpg

retro_orange
Sep 17, 2016, 3:27 AM
Nice info! That is a massive site with a lot of potential. 7 towers with retail and office sounds promising, especially with Anthem as the developer.

The site contains 2 future road extensions and a new Green Lane that the city wants to see built, so this project would see all those constructed. It would continue the extension of the re-aligned 102A Ave that will:
Start at SFU -> through the existing Surrey Central Bus Loop -> through the 50 Storey Education Centre site to King George Blvd - And now finally through that mega block between KGB and Whalley Blvd with this proposal.

The plan below shows the new roads to be built in the area as per the City Centre plan, and how each of these developments is facilitating it.

Exciting times for Surrey City Centre!

Also the McDonalds site adjacent to the Anthem site is currently under application for a renovation. Curious as to if the plan will respond to the 102A extention that is supposed align along its north edge.

http://i.imgur.com/ELFX14j.jpg

When will SFU be redeveloping that big parking lot in the middle?

officedweller
Sep 17, 2016, 3:32 AM
Great map, thanks!

Can you add the next phases of University District and Wynd?

Blease
Sep 17, 2016, 4:13 AM
Thanks Shift, for the above visualization. And agreed, these are indeed exciting times for Surrey City Centre. Though we should lower our voices, given the grinches who sometimes lurk on this site.

Shift
Sep 17, 2016, 4:26 AM
Sure I can add those in. Maybe this can become the unofficial SSP Surrey Central development map.

As for the SFU site in front of Central City, I would expect them to announce something within the next 2 years as the rec centre block / bus loop will likely start to be redeveloped between 2018-2020. SFU also owns the other corner parking lot at the 102/University intersection. I would expect the houses behind it to develop along with it, possibly for a student residence.

officedweller
Sep 17, 2016, 4:33 AM
Awesome, thanks!

Whalleyboy
Sep 18, 2016, 8:58 AM
Don't forget the city already set to replace north surrey rec centre as well. So we could be seeing that get torn down soon. I would assume that will be the location of the preforming arts theater the city wants to build though

SFUVancouver
Sep 18, 2016, 9:37 PM
That's a very promising proposal by Anthem and it will make a large positive impact on Surrey City Center. It's exciting to see the long term vision and plan for a significant downtown continue to materialize.

My one big hope for this, and all new projects, is that they meet the street in an urban fashion with continuous retail and services, as opposed to more traditionally suburban oversized setbacks and limited retail.

Shift
Sep 19, 2016, 4:02 AM
^ I think it's pretty safe to assume that all new development in Surrey City Centre will be encouraged to meet the street with a downtown feel. That is what the city is going for. Don't have to worry about it turning out like Mississauga. Surrey already has a much more urban street grid to work from. Surrey will likely develop to feel like more of an actual downtown than Brentwood, Lougheed, and even Metrotown in the end thanks to its grid and the City Centre plan in place. The only thing it wont have is the grit and layered character of Vancouver and New West. Surrey's downtown will be a very new feeling 21st century downtown.

sryboy
Sep 19, 2016, 5:04 AM
^ I think it's pretty safe to assume that all new development in Surrey City Centre will be encouraged to meet the street with a downtown feel. That is what the city is going for. Don't have to worry about it turning out like Mississauga. Surrey already has a much more urban street grid to work from. Surrey will likely develop to feel like more of an actual downtown than Brentwood, Lougheed, and even Metrotown in the end thanks to its grid and the City Centre plan in place. The only thing it wont have is the grit and layered character of Vancouver and New West. Surrey's downtown will be a very new feeling 21st century downtown.

Well said Shift.
I wish they would use names instead numbers for the streets. I think that would help build some character.

Cypherus
Sep 19, 2016, 5:39 PM
That site has a 3.5 FAR (floor area ratio) so I don't think we will see very tall towers (especially if 7 are planned). For comparison 3 civic and the new international student building are on sites with 7.5 FAR permitted.

GMasterAres
Sep 19, 2016, 7:27 PM
That site has a 3.5 FAR (floor area ratio) so I don't think we will see very tall towers (especially if 7 are planned). For comparison 3 civic and the new international student building are on sites with 7.5 FAR permitted.

Remember, that's all up for council over-ruling. They could build 10 FAR if council was AOK with it. When they do an OCP it is meant to really be a guide more than anything but each individual project is assessed under its own merits. I would be extremely surprised if this project was forced to be dumbed down and forced to keep with 3.5 FAR given importance to the area.

Shift
Sep 20, 2016, 11:35 PM
City Centre building heights plan has the Anthem site designated partially 110m (38 storeys) and partially 60m (20 storeys). As jhausner said, this can always be applied to be amended, but safe to say that we'll probably see at least 35-40 storey towers proposed on a portion of the site.

http://i.imgur.com/18tTjNJ.jpg

officedweller
Sep 20, 2016, 11:48 PM
Anthem doesn't seem to have any office properties in its portfolio (unlike ONNI).
That may mean it'll be developed with mostly residential and retail (maybe some office in podiums).
https://www.anthemproperties.com/

scryer
Sep 20, 2016, 11:57 PM
Well said Shift.
I wish they would use names instead numbers for the streets. I think that would help build some character.

No one said it's too late to change a street name :cheers:

Hell they changed Whalley to North Surrey...

Shift
Sep 21, 2016, 3:36 AM
^Whalley is still one of Surrey's 6 communities. The name has not gone away.

Whalley
Guildford
Fleetwood
Newton
Cloverdale
South Surrey

All except South Surrey are considered North Surrey.

City Centre is a separate community within and surrounded by Whalley.

Whalleyboy
Sep 21, 2016, 6:30 AM
^Whalley is still one of Surrey's 6 communities. The name has not gone away.

Whalley
Guildford
Fleetwood
Newton
Cloverdale
South Surrey

All except South Surrey are considered North Surrey.

City Centre is a separate community within and surrounded by Whalley.

actually he is right they have slowly been trying to sweep the Whalley name under the rug.
Just look at the cities site of the communities. You'll see what is now called north Surrey in place of whalley. I pointed this out months ago if not almost a year.

http://www.surrey.ca/community/6798.aspx

Shift
Sep 21, 2016, 4:40 PM
^Interesting. I'm not sure they've officially changed the name from Whalley. There are plenty of inconsistencies on the City's website.

http://www.surrey.ca/images/pageImages/Whalley_Web_Version.jpg

If you look at the North Surrey page, it refers to both Whalley and City Centre within it, with a section for Whalley Secondary Plans.

http://www.surrey.ca/community/6803.aspx

GMasterAres
Sep 21, 2016, 7:40 PM
I think it is part to try and drop the stigma of the name and also part because it is actually confusing when you start to break things down.

For example does "Whalley" include City Centre or not? Is Whalley made up of smaller pieces like Bridgeview or South Westminster for example? They have a South Westminster OCP but it is part of Whalley which is part of... what?

And people sometimes reference North Surrey and include Guildford in that. It just get super confusing.

So I think they partly want to just say "North Surrey" = top part minus Guildford and get rid of everything else. Either way it's all the same place no matter what you call it. :cool:

Whalleyboy
Sep 22, 2016, 6:51 AM
I think its one of those slow games the city is playing with the name. Every time they try and do something big like the name change people freak out. Just look at whalley Blvd. That name was not suppose to be that. They were hoping to get rid of the whalley from both when they use to be east and west whalley ring rd.

Also a lot of those plans are pretty old so they arent going to go back and change the plans.

As for the bridge view south westminster etc. Its all just further break downs of the area. Like how you have cresent beach, semiahmoo, Grandview corners are all part of south Surry
Cloverdale has both cloverdale and clayton.
I could list for almost every community of surrey but to put it simple every community breaks down to smaller communities. Its gives a sense of being when you're part of something easier to focus on.

Cypherus
Sep 24, 2016, 2:41 AM
And this is just the start:
Applications are underway for a 46 tower and 20 storey tower on the site just to the East
Concord's application for a 42 storey tower to the south behind the original 3 towers.
The Hub's 5 additional towers to the South of King George Station.
Century Group's 2 towers next to Holland Park.
An application underway for a 26 storey tower at 98/Fraser and King George

So 11 more towers to this hub around King George within the next 5-7 years.

Came across this image on DYS architecture's site for the 46 storey / 20 storey project to the east. Says completion 2015, so this was for the original application back in 2013. I'm not sure whats going on with that. A Development Permit and DVP were both issued for the project in 2014, but now its under a new 2016 application for the exact same things. :shrug:

2013 Application with DP and DVP issued:
https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Development-Inquiry/?year=13&seq=0220

2016 Application applying for exact same DP and DVP:
https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Development-Inquiry/?year=16&seq=0053

http://i.imgur.com/thyiD3Q.jpg
http://www.dysarchitecture.com/projects/king-george-100th-avenue-development.php

Just to quote Shift who noted in the Park Avenue forum that a number of applications are underway in Surrey including Century Group's Holland Pointe.

Also found another rendering of the 46 storey 100 Ave project.
http://www.dysarchitecture.com/_img/dynamic/projects/images/kgd---100-ave-view-2_web.jpg
Source: http://www.dysarchitecture.com/projects/king-george-100th-avenue-development.php

rickvug
Sep 26, 2016, 5:29 AM
I'm curious about the timeline for Downtown Surrey to be substantially built out and what that might look like. How many towers and lowrises could be built within the plan? What is the current pace of development?

Like some others (Shift, I'm looking at you!) I'm excited about all the development in the pipeline. I really am rooting for Surrey. However my guess is that it will take about two decades for most of the miles of surface parking to be redeveloped. University Boulevard has started to really come together. King George, not so much. I'd be curious to hear others opinions and see if anyone has actually modelled this out.

rickvug
Sep 26, 2016, 6:13 AM
Poking around at http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/1343.aspx helps to get a better sense of development. Surrey's own projections:

In 2006, the population of Surrey City Centre totalled 23,000. In 2006, 14,500 people were employed in Surrey City Centre. It is anticipated that by 2031, the population of Surrey City Centre will increase to 65,000 and the number of people employed in Surrey City Centre will rise to 36,000. - See more at: http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/1343.aspx#sthash.GqpCLHLz.dpuf

If my math is correct, that works out to 11,187 per square km in 2031. As a comparison, downtown Vancouver and the West End have a population density of 17,138 per square km (2011). My first reaction is surprise as I would assume that density would give Surrey City Centre a very urban feel. However, I see that older 2006 figures for Metrotown have the population at 25,540 in 2.97 km2 so 8,599 per square km, so not terribly far off from where Surrey City Centre will be in 15 years. While dense, Metrotown doesn't feel like a true city, at least to me. Too many "towers in the park" and again, a ton of surface parking. I hope that Surrey does a better job in this regard.

Here's the February map of current development projects, in case that hasn't been posted:

http://i.imgur.com/sykUWGX.png

GMasterAres
Sep 26, 2016, 4:56 PM
Just to quote Shift who noted in the Park Avenue forum that a number of applications are underway in Surrey including Century Group's Holland Pointe.

Also found another rendering of the 46 storey 100 Ave project.
http://www.dysarchitecture.com/_img/dynamic/projects/images/kgd---100-ave-view-2_web.jpg
Source: http://www.dysarchitecture.com/projects/king-george-100th-avenue-development.php

This project has been on the books for basically 6 years now and had a DVP twice extended only to lapse (I believe the city only extends 2 times then you need to start again). They have started again this year with a new app but I'll believe _this_ project when I see them start to break ground.

Not holding my breath.

GMasterAres
Sep 26, 2016, 5:00 PM
Poking around at http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/1343.aspx helps to get a better sense of development. Surrey's own projections:

In 2006, the population of Surrey City Centre totalled 23,000. In 2006, 14,500 people were employed in Surrey City Centre. It is anticipated that by 2031, the population of Surrey City Centre will increase to 65,000 and the number of people employed in Surrey City Centre will rise to 36,000. - See more at: http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/1343.aspx#sthash.GqpCLHLz.dpuf

If my math is correct, that works out to 11,187 per square km in 2031. As a comparison, downtown Vancouver and the West End have a population density of 17,138 per square km (2011). My first reaction is surprise as I would assume that density would give Surrey City Centre a very urban feel. However, I see that older 2006 figures for Metrotown have the population at 25,540 in 2.97 km2 so 8,599 per square km, so not terribly far off from where Surrey City Centre will be in 15 years. While dense, Metrotown doesn't feel like a true city, at least to me. Too many "towers in the park" and again, a ton of surface parking. I hope that Surrey does a better job in this regard.

Here's the February map of current development projects, in case that hasn't been posted:

<snip image>

Your last point hit it on the head. Density and population count doesn't actually matter, it is street level orientation. You could have a super dense high-rise filled area but if they are all "towers in the park" then it won't feel urban. Yet you go to cities like London for example where huge swaths are low level buildings 4-6 storey high at most yet every street feels super urban.

All comes down to the street scape.

So Surrey could easily have the same numbers as Metrotown but if they develop right, it will feel much different. Also look at Metrotown's latest projects and compare to older ones near Patterson. Big difference. So I'd imagine in 10 years Metrotown will feel far more urban than it does today just because their new projects are all street-oriented urban design.

That said, predictions of 2031 are just dreams we can hold on to. A lot can happen in that amount of time.

Shift
Sep 26, 2016, 7:33 PM
Burnaby is behind Surrey in developing a City Centre/Downtown plan for Metrotown. They are just getting started now on Phase 1 of their 'Downtown Development Plan' involving "Preliminary Vision, Principles, and Land Use Framework."

https://www.burnaby.ca/City-Services/Policies--Projects---Initiatives/Community-Development/Community-Plans/Metrotown-Development-Plan-Update.html

New developments in Metrotown are already starting to feel more urban ahead of this plan, but the area is still lacking direction right now, and suffers from the pre-existing towers in the park, and the mall breaking up road connections over a large area in the centre of Metrotown.

Surrey City Centre will eventually feel more urban due to no pre-existing towers in the park, and because of the City Centre Plan. It's also over twice the size of the Metrotown Plan area.

rickvug
Sep 26, 2016, 11:45 PM
Surrey City Centre will eventually feel more urban due to no pre-existing towers in the park, and because of the City Centre Plan. It's also over twice the size of the Metrotown Plan area.

I think the keyword here is eventually. :) Burnaby has over 100 towers proposed or in construction right now (http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/burnaby-outpaces-vancouver-in-tower-development?__lsa=0d84-f846). That might be spread across 4 town centres, but as stated earlier, these town centres are generally smaller in size than the Surrey plan. Metrotown is also substantially more built out than Surrey City Centre. Once that key mall site is redeveloped the feel of Metrotown should really change. That could happen in a 5-10 year timeframe if some of the rumours are true.

Don't take this as a knock on Surrey. I'm just trying to look at the pace of redevelopment objectively. Overall I'm very excited for what Metro Vancouver will look like a decade or two from now as the regional town centres mature. I think there will finally be a shift in people thinking first about Metro Vancouver rather than the City of Vancouver. For the next 10-15 years I think the most exciting places will be areas that are already established and aren't greenfield mall redevelopments (eg. North Van, New West, Port Moody). After that, spots like Surrey City Centre, Lougheed and Coquitlam should be the most exciting as (hopefully) all of that surface parking will be gone. Brentwood might happen a bit earlier considering the insane amount of development slated for the next 5 years.

Sheba
Sep 27, 2016, 3:17 AM
Metrotown is also substantially more built out than Surrey City Centre. Once that key mall site is redeveloped the feel of Metrotown should really change. That could happen in a 5-10 year timeframe if some of the rumours are true.

I don't know where you heard a rumour of Metropolis being redeveloped. Yes Brentwood and Lougheed are / about to be redeveloped - they're also 20 to 25 years older. At Metropolis only Station Square (separate mall) and eventually the Sears site are being redeveloped. About 10 years ago the mall was made into a bigger brick than it was before (when it was two malls vs the one mall it is now).

GMasterAres
Sep 27, 2016, 6:40 AM
I honestly am not sold on Surrey Central ever surpassing Metrotown in our life time from an urban perspective unless SkyTrain is extended out to Langley. If you look at the transit backbone network, Metrotown is basically smack middle of Expo Line.

That helps drive business and residential development. Much like Brentwood is basically smack middle of Millennium Line.

If Expo Line is extended out to Langley then Surrey Central and Metrotown become central hubs for the backbone with Vancouver on one end and the Fraser Valley on the other. It better aligns the vision of Surrey as a second regional downtown for South of the Fraser/Fraser Valley, and I think will further push a wave of development beyond what we're seeing today.

Just my thoughts. Until then Surrey is trying hard but it will be difficult and time consuming to shake the sleeper residential suburb vibe of the city. Don't get me wrong I am excited for some of the projects ongoing and coming up, but we have a long way to go and quite frankly for every 1 major project in Surrey Central right now there are 2-3 in Brentwood and 2-3 in Metrotown.

Don't believe me? Look at Lougheed. It was just a fringe area, with some towers sure, but nothing substantial for a few decades until Evergreen extension really start to take off. Then suddenly it is in the position where Surrey is on Expo but on Millennium and magically a brand new master plan shows up on the books and movement starts.

Pinion
Sep 27, 2016, 7:38 AM
I think the Lougheed boom has more to do with the natural development progression from west to east than a skytrain to its east. That wave will hit Surrey eventually after Burnaby, Coquitlam and New West are built out, decades from now.

A skytrain to Langley will help of course though.

Blease
Sep 27, 2016, 9:39 AM
I honestly am not sold on Surrey Central ever surpassing Metrotown in our life time from an urban perspective unless SkyTrain is extended out to Langley. If Expo Line is extended out to Langley then Surrey Central and Metrotown become central hubs for the backbone with Vancouver on one end and the Fraser Valley on the other. It better aligns the vision of Surrey as a second regional downtown for South of the Fraser/Fraser Valley, and I think will further push a wave of development beyond what we're seeing today.

Surrey Central won't get the Expo line extended, but it will become a hub connecting the Expo Line with three LRT lines stretching deep into Fraser Valley. Also I somewhat disagree with your Surrey vs Burnaby assessment for one simple reason. There can only be a finite number of downtowns and Burnaby is much too close to Vancouver to develop (m)any substantial urban hubs. Brentwood for example is very nice, but it's essentially a town centre and I say that with no disrespect. Surrey Central may not have Whole Foods, but is developing a far more urban feel, albeit with a grittier edge. And Surrey Central has two important factors to consider, a burgeoning population (in the areas which surround it) and a substantial enough distance from Vancouver to establish a viable downtown.

Sheba
Sep 27, 2016, 5:16 PM
If Expo Line is extended out to Langley then Surrey Central and Metrotown become central hubs for the backbone with Vancouver on one end and the Fraser Valley on the other. It better aligns the vision of Surrey as a second regional downtown for South of the Fraser/Fraser Valley, and I think will further push a wave of development beyond what we're seeing today.

Just my thoughts. Until then Surrey is trying hard but it will be difficult and time consuming to shake the sleeper residential suburb vibe of the city. Don't get me wrong I am excited for some of the projects ongoing and coming up, but we have a long way to go and quite frankly for every 1 major project in Surrey Central right now there are 2-3 in Brentwood and 2-3 in Metrotown.

Brentwood for example is very nice, but it's essentially a town centre and I say that with no disrespect. Surrey Central may not have Whole Foods, but is developing a far more urban feel, albeit with a grittier edge. And Surrey Central has two important factors to consider, a burgeoning population (in the areas which surround it) and a substantial enough distance from Vancouver to establish a viable downtown.

I agree with parts of what you've both said. Vancouver has the 'northern' downtown and Surrey will have the 'southern' downtown. Burnaby will have town centres and while Metrotown will become a downtown, it will be for Burnaby and not the region as a whole (like Vancouver and Surrey).

Extending the Expo Line down Fraser Hwy will be an important part of driving development in Surrey, despite what the mayor may think. Why they want to cut the backbone short is something I've never been able to understand.

Shift
Sep 27, 2016, 9:27 PM
Here is a comparison of all 3 plan areas - Brentwood, Metrotown, and Surrey City Centre.

By looking at this, Surrey City Centre is much better positioned to develop into a regional downtown with a downtown feel based on its size, road network, land-use designations, and integration with its surrounding area. Not to mention its location South of the Fraser which is becoming a distinct region from the Burrard Peninsula of Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Etc..

Metrotown's road network and urban feel suffers by the mall taking up a large chunk of its centre.

Brentwood is a very linear, big block strip along Lougheed Highway that doesn't integrate well with its surroundings.

http://i.imgur.com/xIyZrcV.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/FIuZMZr.jpg?1

Sheba
Sep 28, 2016, 1:14 AM
Here is a comparison of all 3 plan areas - Brentwood, Metrotown, and Surrey City Centre.

By looking at this, Surrey City Centre is much better positioned to develop into a regional downtown with a downtown feel based on its size, road network, land-use designations, and integration with its surrounding area. Not to mention its location South of the Fraser which is becoming a distinct region from the Burrard Peninsula of Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Etc..

Metrotown's road network and urban feel suffers by the mall taking up a large chunk of its centre.

Brentwood is a very linear, big block strip along Lougheed Highway that doesn't integrate well with its surroundings.

Why are you comparing Surrey City Centre (a future downtown) with Brentwood and Metrotown (town centres)? They're not the same thing, nor are they trying to be. If you're going to compare it to somewhere, at least make it a downtown area.

rickvug
Sep 28, 2016, 1:15 AM
I agree with most all of what's being said in the last few posts.

Surrey needs Skytrain extended out to Langley for maximum benefit. I completely agree that it would be shortsighted to have LTR up Fraser Highway. Better to have Skytrain and B-Lines for now, with an upgrade to those B-Lines to LTR down the road.
I do agree that Surrey has the better land use plan. Burnaby has been steadfast in "protecting" their single family areas. Burnaby should take a hard look at expanding the boundaries of their town centres. Especially if this would allow for ground orientated infill. Towers aren't for everyone and there aren't nearly enough centrally located townhomes (or similar).
Burnaby has so many more towers going up right now. If anything it is pulling ahead of Surrey. Once most of the easy sites are taken I'd expect development to move further out. For now though Surrey has too much competition for highrises.

Pinion
Sep 28, 2016, 1:23 AM
Why are you comparing Surrey City Centre (a future downtown) with Brentwood and Metrotown (town centres)? They're not the same thing, nor are they trying to be. If you're going to compare it to somewhere, at least make it a downtown area.

C'mon. Surrey's best hope is to be Tacoma to Vancouver's Seattle. An important industrial blue collar area.

Blease
Sep 28, 2016, 2:18 AM
C'mon. Surrey's best hope is to be Tacoma to Vancouver's Seattle. An important industrial blue collar area.

Seriously out to lunch comparison.

Two of the most obvious differences: Population wise, Tacoma is 29% the size of Seattle, Surrey is 83% the size of Vancouver. Tacoma's economy is based on food services and manufacturing, Surrey's on education, agriculture, health-care, technology, and (even before the recent opening of Skydance studios) film-making. Realistically speaking, City of North Van probably has more in common with Tacoma.

Pinion
Sep 28, 2016, 2:31 AM
Seriously out to lunch comparison.

Two of the most obvious differences: Population wise, Tacoma is 29% the size of Seattle, Surrey is 83% the size of Vancouver. Tacoma's economy is based on food services and manufacturing, Surrey's on education, agriculture, health-care, technology, and (even before the recent opening of Skydance studios) film-making. Realistically speaking, City of North Van probably has more in common with Tacoma.

Arbitrary boundaries mean nothing. What Surrey wants to their economy to be based on means nothing. Your petulant retorts are tiresome - again, you are not your municipality, stop taking it personally.

Blease
Sep 28, 2016, 4:52 AM
Arbitrary boundaries mean nothing. What Surrey wants to their economy to be based on means nothing. Your petulant retorts are tiresome - again, you are not your municipality, stop taking it personally.

Arbitrary?? (I suggest you look up the meaning) I mentioned respective population and economic drivers for each city, two pertinent and very quantifiable factors that prove that Tacoma and Surrey are very different places. And for what it's worth, Surrey's economic sectors I listed are easily verifiable in Wikipedia.

Cypherus
Sep 28, 2016, 5:32 AM

He raised good points. Surrey has a lot of white collar and professional jobs in the core, including the Hospital, SFU, the library, Canada Revenue Agency call center, audit and enforcement, and the Surrey Taxation Centre, Coast Capital Savings office, as well as countless Medical and dental offices, and the RCMP e-division headquarters, amongst others. Easily verified and obvious to many. A good foundation too. It seems you like to call out people who disagree with you about your hackneyed assessments of Surrey simply because you don't like the area as is evident by your previous posts. Certainly superimposed boundaries mean nothing as you say, except they seem to mean everything to you.

GMasterAres
Sep 28, 2016, 6:52 PM
Surrey Central won't get the Expo line extended, but it will become a hub connecting the Expo Line with three LRT lines stretching deep into Fraser Valley. Also I somewhat disagree with your Surrey vs Burnaby assessment for one simple reason. There can only be a finite number of downtowns and Burnaby is much too close to Vancouver to develop (m)any substantial urban hubs. Brentwood for example is very nice, but it's essentially a town centre and I say that with no disrespect. Surrey Central may not have Whole Foods, but is developing a far more urban feel, albeit with a grittier edge. And Surrey Central has two important factors to consider, a burgeoning population (in the areas which surround it) and a substantial enough distance from Vancouver to establish a viable downtown.

You say there will be no extension with such conviction. :) The business case hasn't been completed yet and from what I've heard it heavily leans towards SkyTrain extension to Langley and LRT for the rest. But we'll see toward the end of this year.

I agree with the rest, I just think it needs more business and focus. It is trying to focus on being a medical technology center along with a University center for the region. Those are 2 things that would very much differentiate Surrey Central from other town centers and even Downtown Vancouver.

We'll see I guess.

Shift
Sep 28, 2016, 7:11 PM

That's exactly my point, there is no comparison. People here were referencing Brentwood and Metrotown as developing into more substantial urban centre's than Surrey City Centre, but SCC is in a different league, and will eventually surpass Metrotown in regional significance, and urban feel, given the points I made (street grid, plan, integration, location, etc.)

GMasterAres
Sep 28, 2016, 8:18 PM
Re the Anthem Properties I mentioned a few pages back (Canadian Tire property):

https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Development-Inquiry/?year=16&seq=0448

They've submitted to the City. Looks like the first phase, a rather normal 30 storey tower along with subdivision into 6 properties to ultimately built out 6 towers.

If I had my best guess, this particular tower will be in the parking log area somewhere and the larger developments will happen later on with the redevelopment of the actual existing buildings (giving them time to relocate or accomodate reconstruction of the area).

Will probably be a few months before we see anything concrete though like renders or overall project.

Shift
Sep 28, 2016, 8:28 PM

Tacoma
Population (2015): 200,000
Growth Rate: 1,000 per year

Surrey
Population (2015): 515,000
Growth Rate: 1,000 per month

officedweller
Sep 28, 2016, 8:58 PM
Re the Anthem Properties I mentioned a few pages back (Canadian Tire property):

Thanks for the update.

Blease
Sep 28, 2016, 9:09 PM
Tacoma
Population (2015): 200,000
Growth Rate: 1,000 per year

Surrey
Population (2015): 515,000
Growth Rate: 1,000 per month

Yes exactly. I pointed out the population differences (along other differences) to this clueless person yesterday.

sryboy
Sep 28, 2016, 10:08 PM
Yes exactly. I pointed out the population differences (along other differences) to this clueless person yesterday.

He's just sore that you compared Tacoma to N.Van.

Shift
Sep 28, 2016, 11:58 PM
Back on track..

Details on the application for the Save-on Foods / Canadian Tire site on 102 Ave.

Subdividing from 1 to 6 lots. The required road dedications through the site give a good indication of how parceling will be broken up.

Probably safe to assume that the first 30 Storey tower will be going on one of those newly created parcels where parking lot currently exists as Jhausner said.

Project Details:

Project Number
16 - 0448

Description
Rezoning from CD to CD (based on RMC-135), development permit for six mixed-used high-rise tower buildings, subdivision from one to six properties.

Address
13665 102 Ave

Rezoning Details:

Status
Initial Review

Description
Rezoning from CD to CD (based on RMC-135) to permit development of a 30-storey mixed use building.

https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Development-Inquiry/?year=16&seq=0448

No plans on Anthem's site yet. Site in red:

http://i.imgur.com/3rCf92x.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rmnVSM4.jpg?1

red-paladin
Sep 29, 2016, 8:33 AM
Has Surrey zoned enough land for actual office buildings in Surrey Centre though?
Sure seems like it's going to be built out with a lot of medium sized residential towers and it'll be impossible to be a proper secondary downtown.

Shift
Sep 29, 2016, 4:39 PM
Are office buildings going to be as relevant in the remainder of the 21st Century as they were in the 20th? With a changing job market and automation?

Pretty much all of the City Centre Plan is designated 'Mixed-Use', with the exception of 2 pockets of Single Family Residential in the North-East and South-West. This means office could be developed pretty much anywhere on this plan outside of the light yellow areas. There are no exclusively designated 'Office' areas.

All new development in City Centre applies for a CD Zone (Comprehensive Development) upon application. CD Zones are flexible and unique and can accommodate a variety of uses.

Surrey is already developing into a proper downtown and diversifying itself through:

SFU's expansion along with other institutions and related uses locating in the area.
The Civic Plaza development which is creating a civic heart of the city, and will be expanded further to connect with Central City
The emerging Innovation Boulevard medical research district which will create a synergy with the emerging educational node.
The numerous mixed-use Office/Residential/Retail proposals under application around the City Centre right now - The Hub at King George / Anthem Properties Site / West Village Master Plan / Tien Shier 108 & KGB Development / Holland Pointe / Bosa University District.

Based on all the evidence the area is not developing into a City Centre full of medium sized residential towers.

http://i.imgur.com/gK5E8y4.jpg?1

sryboy
Sep 29, 2016, 7:47 PM
Surrey is already developing into a proper downtown and diversifying itself through:

Based on all the evidence the area is not developing into a City Centre full of medium sized residential towers.

http://i.imgur.com/gK5E8y4.jpg?1

When is the next iteration of this map coming out?

GMasterAres
Sep 29, 2016, 8:45 PM
Has Surrey zoned enough land for actual office buildings in Surrey Centre though?
Sure seems like it's going to be built out with a lot of medium sized residential towers and it'll be impossible to be a proper secondary downtown.

CD allows for zoning just office. So the hubs around Gateway, Surrey Central, and King George can have dedicated just office towers. Or mixed use. It comes down to the developer. It seems right now developers are opting for mix use aka Retail/Office at the bottom, residential at the top.

But there are a few projects still technically on the books that are full office including Holland Point across the street from King George Station, and Phase C of The HUB next to King George which both call for 2 dedicated office towers. Phase B of The HUB is also a little closer to just office but it still has residential in it.

There's plenty of space though and if I were educated guessing, if Surrey starts to see Office Tower construction it will be around King George or Surrey Central nearer to the mall. That said, mixed use seems to be the flavor of the month now and quite frankly I don't see a huge deal with it. A lot of major cities are moving away from having dedicated "Office" districts. And quite frankly the "Office" district in downtown Vancouver is dead after 7pm. You can fire a canon around Burrard Station and not hit anyone in the evening. So from a vibrancy standpoint, I think having mixed use makes a central core more robust.

But CD zoning allows for it I guess is the short answer for you. :)

Shift
Sep 29, 2016, 10:31 PM
When is the next iteration of this map coming out?

There isn't another one.

That plan was just adopted and will be the plan for decades to come.

http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/1343.aspx

sryboy
Sep 29, 2016, 11:34 PM
There isn't another one.

That plan was just adopted and will be the plan for decades to come.

http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/1343.aspx

Thanks Shift.

I saw the "2013" and thought maybe the city updated it every couple of years.

Blease
Oct 5, 2016, 9:35 AM
Earlier today, while reading about the death of Bing Thom, I glanced up at the TV and glimpsed a few moments of a car ad, an Infiniti SUV I think, shown gliding through an urban landscape. Featured prominently in the clip were vivid exterior shots of the Surrey City Centre Library, which by happy coincident was one of Bing Thom's iconic creations within Surrey centre. In 2011, when this Library opened, the Huffington Post picked it as one of the most architecturally significant buildings around the world in a list titled "Eleven best of 2011". The Surrey Library was the only Canadian entry on the list which included submissions from London, NYC, Kuwait and Singapore. I'm no fan of the Huffington Post and usually find it trashy, but on this one occasion it got it quite right. Kudos to Mr. Thom.

Dwils01
Oct 17, 2016, 9:53 PM
I agree with that. The Library is one of the best looking buildings in the city. I've been thinking of getting a card to check the place out and get some books.

vanman
Oct 20, 2016, 6:53 AM
Agreed the library is fantastic. If anyone is interested it and the new Surrey city hall are featured prominently in the Minority Report series on Netflix.

clee7903
Oct 25, 2016, 4:36 AM
https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5552/29920953914_134d150579_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/MA1HaL)IMG_6221 (https://flic.kr/p/MA1HaL) by Clement Lee (https://www.flickr.com/photos/clee7903/), on Flickr

Surrey's growing skyline L-R: Station Tower, Observatory & others, City point, 3 civic, D'corize, University district, Park avenue, Park place, Central city, Wave, Ultra.

Ramsay
Oct 27, 2016, 9:53 PM
Surrey's growing skyline L-R: Station Tower, Observatory & others, City point, 3 civic, D'corize, University district, Park avenue, Park place, Central city, Wave, Ultra.

Actually looks like a downtown from that view.

Ramsay
Oct 27, 2016, 9:55 PM
Not sure if this has been posted here or in another thread. Looks like the old Surrey public market is finally coming down.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/surrey-public-market-1.3824250

retro_orange
Oct 27, 2016, 10:12 PM
Not sure if this has been posted here or in another thread. Looks like the old Surrey public market is finally coming down.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/surrey-public-market-1.3824250

Whats the story with that place?

Ramsay
Oct 31, 2016, 9:08 PM
https://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcouncillibrary/PLR_7915-0035-00.pdf

clee7903
Oct 31, 2016, 11:23 PM
Looks good. Anything is better than the dilapidation that's going on in there. Even an open field is better than what is there now.

retro_orange
Nov 1, 2016, 1:45 AM
https://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcouncillibrary/PLR_7915-0035-00.pdf

Interesting, I'm surprised a flea market or food production facility never took over the space in all this time. Problems with the structure?

Ramsay
Nov 1, 2016, 6:07 PM
Interesting, I'm surprised a flea market or food production facility never took over the space in all this time. Problems with the structure?

The landowner couldn't make up his mind what he wanted to do with the property. At one point he had donated it to the Salvation Army but reneged at the last moment.

Hopefully there will be a commercial component in a future phase.

EhJay
Nov 1, 2016, 8:11 PM
Apologies if this has been posted here before, but a few developments that are in pre-constructions:
133+ Old Yale (http://www.townline.ca/en/homes/new-homes/133-old-yale)
[/URL]tstonegroup.com/projects/"]Ninety-Six (http://www.wes[URL="https://www.anthemproperties.com/property-detail/homes/Surrey-City-Centre/2370) - Under construction
Anthem Properities (https://www.anthemproperties.com/property-detail/homes/Surrey-City-Centre/2370) - Pre-Construction

Shift
Nov 3, 2016, 3:39 AM
The Whalley Legion project looks to be moving forward. It was announced today that the BC/Yukon Legion has partnered with major Surrey developer Lark Group (City Centre 1 and 2 projects adjacent to Surrey Memorial) to develop its twin tower multi-purpose facility on 106th Avenue. The news release says they expect to begin construction by Spring 2017. Seems a little ambitious but with Lark Group now partnered on the project its sounding promising.

More details:

https://urbansurrey.wordpress.com/2016/11/02/whalley-legion-veterans-village-development-partners-with-lark-group/

http://www.legionbcyukon.ca/content/canadas-first-veterans-village

http://www.larkgroup.com/legion-veterans-village-project-takes-a-major-step-forward/

http://i.imgur.com/n5zuwNp.jpg?1

retro_orange
Nov 3, 2016, 3:57 AM
The Whalley Legion project looks to be moving forward. It was announced today that the BC/Yukon Legion has partnered with major Surrey developer Lark Group (City Centre 1 and 2 projects adjacent to Surrey Memorial) to develop its twin tower multi-purpose facility on 106th Avenue. The news release says they expect to begin construction by Spring 2017. Seems a little ambitious but with Lark Group now partnered on the project its sounding promising.

More details:

https://urbansurrey.wordpress.com/2016/11/02/whalley-legion-veterans-village-development-partners-with-lark-group/

http://www.legionbcyukon.ca/content/canadas-first-veterans-village

http://www.larkgroup.com/legion-veterans-village-project-takes-a-major-step-forward/

YES that building is GORGEOUS! Lets hope it gets built as rendered too!

BobLoblawsLawBlog
Nov 3, 2016, 5:27 AM
It'd be nice if the shorter tower was made shorter to make the other one taller. Just to break that Surrey Plateau.

GMasterAres
Nov 5, 2016, 6:06 AM
Spring 2017 is ambitious given they don't even seem to have anything submitted to the city yet let alone going to council. That said, if they have been working with the city already in the background, it could move fast.

Would definitely love to see this built given it is kind of in the no-mans land between 108th and 104th where there is nothing but old flat buildings. Could tell developers hey you can build here too not just exclusively around the SkyTrain stations.

Last I checked there were no SkyTrain stations in the West End yet people live there.

EhJay
Nov 7, 2016, 1:35 AM
Spring 2017 is ambitious given they don't even seem to have anything submitted to the city yet let alone going to council. That said, if they have been working with the city already in the background, it could move fast.

Would definitely love to see this built given it is kind of in the no-mans land between 108th and 104th where there is nothing but old flat buildings. Could tell developers hey you can build here too not just exclusively around the SkyTrain stations.

Last I checked there were no SkyTrain stations in the West End yet people live there.

Which is true, but Surrey is pushing the development right around the SkyTrain stations first as hubs, then building between. That being said, there's applications to rebuild the land where save-on is at with 7 towers and such so developers are looking at it already

GMasterAres
Nov 7, 2016, 11:17 PM
Which is true, but Surrey is pushing the development right around the SkyTrain stations first as hubs, then building between. That being said, there's applications to rebuild the land where save-on is at with 7 towers and such so developers are looking at it already

True but I still classify that is within the SkyTrain catchment. You can practically throw a rock to the station from there it isn't that far. The stretch between 104 and 108 though and especially surrounding 106th (say around the Dell shopping center) is not by SkyTrain though and a decent walk away.

You're right though they are pushing for that but the city pushing and developers building can be 2 different things.