http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2502/3819286670_ca3e94c857_o_d.jpg
http://www.sohoparkway.com/

The Developer
http://www.starwoodgroup.com/profile.php

The Hotel Chain

http://www.metropolitan.com/logo175.gif
(http://www.metropolitan.com/)

The Location

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=rk0y8r8pp393&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=32863592&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Here's a sneek peak at what's happening across from Tunney's (after a LONG period of inactivity after safety fences were installed)...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Drivesthebeast/DSCF1322.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Drivesthebeast/DSCF1321.jpg

Not sure what exactly it is they are going to be doing here. I will be able to follow the progress of this jobsite closely, as it's 2 blocks from where I live, so I'll get pics up close when I walk the dog...

L8tz

osirisboy
Apr 5, 2009, 6:46 AM
that building is hideous, the old houses are way better looking (if they were renovated). too bad they aren't knocking that piece of crap down beside the site instead.

Aylmer
Apr 5, 2009, 10:52 AM
Meh building. But why not?

:)

eemy
Apr 5, 2009, 11:32 AM
I think it looks quite nice personally. And the houses it is replacing are hardly anything special, even if renovated and restored.

Norman Bates
Apr 5, 2009, 12:49 PM
Location, location, location.

waterloowarrior
Apr 5, 2009, 1:00 PM
I agree with Jeremy... I like the look of the building.

kwoldtimer
Apr 5, 2009, 1:16 PM
Hooray, no balconies (in the rendering at least). Penthouse, schmenthouse, would anyone seriously pay up to $1.2M to live on that stretch of Parkdale? More dollars than common sense, as my granny used to say! :D

Davis137
Apr 5, 2009, 1:56 PM
15 Floors would make sense here, since the lot it is going to be on is so tiny. I don't mind the rendering, and I think the location is fantastic, considering it's mixed use, and proximity to Tunneys. Just going to add to the overal update that's been taking place in Hintonburg and Mechanicsville...

Mille Sabords
Apr 5, 2009, 4:20 PM
Isn't it funny how, in every one of those renderings, all we ever see around the "proposed building" are trees, and shrubs, and greenery? Mechanicsville is actually quite a dense neighbourhood. Another plus I see with this building is that its parking garage appears to have rear lane access, so we'll be spared the abcess along Parkdale...

drawarc
Apr 5, 2009, 10:59 PM
Looks ok.

rodionx
Apr 6, 2009, 1:08 AM
It's nice enough. I like the lack of balconies, too. It's a pity that the building decidedly has its back turned to Mechanicsville, though. The fact that they've basically airbrushed the neighbourhood out of the rendering pretty much sums it up. The only thing the locals are going to get out of this is a garage and a moderate increase in car traffic.

I walked through Mechanicsville almost every evening during the strike, and it's not so bad. The location is fantastic - close to downtown, the river, transit, and within walking distance of a decent commercial strip. What they need is a few of those four and five story infill developments that have been spreading west of Bank street for the last ten years or so. Developments like that become part of the neighbourhood. Developments like this... not so much.

Kitchissippi
Apr 6, 2009, 3:33 AM
Seems a little out of place, sandwiched between two cheap looking apartment buildings, with a mediocre view.

Something like this, however would be spectacular on Wellington/Holland, in one of the corners adjacent to the GCTC building:
this is what the Toronto Soho Met looks like
http://www.sohomet.com/

http://pauljohnston.com/images/Buildingsun.jpg

harls
Apr 6, 2009, 12:38 PM
Close to the Parkdale market, and there will probably be some nice views of downtown. but 1.2 million? I'd rather be right downtown for that price.

Mille Sabords
Apr 6, 2009, 12:42 PM
Close to the Parkdale market, and there will probably be some nice views of downtown. but 1.2 million? I'd rather be right downtown for that price.

You're right, that price tag seems grossly out of whack with current world events...

cityguy
Apr 6, 2009, 12:58 PM
It has a certain sleekness to it and this area of town needs a big update.Tunney's Pasture is in a time freeze from 1978.

Ottawade
Apr 6, 2009, 1:20 PM
You're right, that price tage seems grossly out of whack with current world events...

Yes, but it will be a few years before it is built and things should be back on the up.

harls
Apr 9, 2009, 12:27 PM
The site says scheduled completion by September 2011.

Here's a crude photoshop I threw together with a pic I took of Tunney's just last week. I have no idea if it's the right height, just eyeballing it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3406/3426535692_4d6931ab0c_o.jpg

Jamaican-Phoenix
Apr 9, 2009, 3:59 PM
Nice render. Hope it gets built.

I see a much denser and connected Ottawa skyline between Tunney's Pasture and Downtown in the distant future, what with the redevelopment of Mechanicville/West Wellington Village and LeBreton Flats.

Davis137
Apr 10, 2009, 3:43 AM
It will be 1-2 storeys taller than "The Parkdale" that is the apartment building to the left (in the foreground in front of the Coats building).

That's actually an awesome vantage point to photoshop a new football or entertainment complex near the bayview station...

waterloowarrior
Apr 14, 2009, 8:52 PM
there's a flash movie on the website with a couple of renders

rocketphish
Apr 23, 2009, 11:36 PM
there's a flash movie on the website with a couple of renders

Here are the renderings from the site:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2445/3665384754_a04d1b5fc0_o_d.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3546/3664582005_86341a400d_o_d.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3632/3665384914_36d7023c75_o_d.jpg

cityguy
Apr 24, 2009, 2:11 AM
Looks like solar panels on the roof.

ue
Apr 24, 2009, 2:18 AM
Looks like a sleek building ... wow. Puts 95% of the stuff under construction in my city to shame ... save perhaps the new AGA, CCIS Building, and EPCOR Tower. Although we are getting some nice buildings approved.

Anyways, this looks very nice, even though there aren't balconies the glass on this building just looks so nice and it is so modern. Good job Ottawa.

Davis137
Apr 25, 2009, 12:25 AM
Looks like it's going to add some really nice cosmetic appeal to the neighbourhood when finished. Now all that has to happen, is the Ramshackle old Tri-plexes that are the next block north of it to get taken down and redeveloped, as they will look terrible so closeby...

jcollins
Apr 26, 2009, 4:33 PM
Looks like it's going to add some really nice cosmetic appeal to the neighbourhood when finished. Now all that has to happen, is the Ramshackle old Tri-plexes that are the next block north of it to get taken down and redeveloped, as they will look terrible so closeby...

I'll refer to the domino effect. It'll happen :fingerscrossed:

AuxTown
Apr 26, 2009, 5:06 PM
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/5/5/3/3/1/webimg/257551754_o.jpg

I find it hard to believe that this rendering is realistic. I'd say it places SoHo Parkway somewhere in Centretown, I'd estimate near Bronson and Somerset West (note the University of Ottawa buildings inappropriately close).

Davis137
Apr 26, 2009, 5:18 PM
Give them an E for effort, even though it isn't accurate...

harls
Jun 2, 2009, 7:03 PM
I noticed last weekend that they are building a model suite showroom on the site.

I find it hard to believe that this rendering is realistic.

why, it's just steps from the canal! ™

rodionx
Jun 2, 2009, 8:13 PM
Mechanicsville... Ottawa's Soho.

What are those three identical buildings in white cowboy hats in the rendering? Top centre-left. Lees?

harls
Jun 2, 2009, 8:33 PM
This? I think they're on the Vanier Parkway..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3640/3484073882_1d032741d2_b.jpg

rodionx
Jun 3, 2009, 3:11 AM
Thanks harls. I can't believe I never noticed those before. They look like a Photoshop job.

rocketphish
Jun 3, 2009, 6:22 PM
I find it hard to believe that this rendering is realistic. I'd say it places SoHo Parkway somewhere in Centretown, I'd estimate near Bronson and Somerset West (note the University of Ottawa buildings inappropriately close).

Based on the location of recognizable buildings in the background photo (the southern edge of DND HQ and the Govt. Canada Place Vanier buildings at the corner of McArthur & N. River Rd., both along the left edge of this photo, and the U of O CAREG building and the Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes church on Cyrville Rd. along the right edge of the photo), one can roughly triangulate the origin of the photo to one of the tall buildings in the Metcalfe & Gloucester area of downtown Ottawa, Place Export Canada or maybe the Lithwick Building.

In any event, it's a long way from Parkdale Ave.

(Yes, I have too much time on my hands)

AuxTown
Jun 3, 2009, 9:17 PM
Based on the location of recognizable buildings in the background photo (the southern edge of DND HQ and the Govt. Canada Place Vanier buildings at the corner of McArthur & N. River Rd., both along the left edge of this photo, and the U of O CAREG building and the Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes church on Cyrville Rd. along the right edge of the photo), one can roughly triangulate the origin of the photo to one of the tall buildings in the Metcalfe & Gloucester area of downtown Ottawa, Place Export Canada or maybe the Lithwick Building.

In any event, it's a long way from Parkdale Ave.

(Yes, I have too much time on my hands)

I concur with this analysis. My guess of Somerset is a bit too far South given that you can see a small piece of DND and that the U of O biosciences is significantly to the South of this location.

Davis137
Jul 3, 2009, 1:13 PM
The presentation office for this project is almost complete...should expect to see it open sometime soon...

Mille Sabords
Jul 5, 2009, 5:29 PM
The presentation office for this project is almost complete...should expect to see it open sometime soon...

It will open on July 23rd. I had registered on their website and got a call from a friendly sales person yesterday to invite me to the exclusive pre-opening launch, where food and drink will be free, prices lower and opportunities fleeting. Seems everyone's learned a trick or two from the Urban Capital boyz. They only need the HGTV cameras and the pumping disco and the illusion will be complete.

IntoTheCore
Jul 23, 2009, 6:49 PM
My wife and I signed up for and went to the "exclusive" launch event last night.

The e-mail said that it would start at 6:30, but when we got there at 6:15, the place was already absolutely packed. After having our names checked off on the invitee list, we found out that they had no more floor plans to give out. Strange, considering that they knew how many people had signed up, and it wasn't even official opening time yet.

Right inside the door, there was a model of the building -- pretty impressive. Off to the right were food and drinks. To the left were a model kitchen, bathroom, and living room. The mirror in the bathroom contained a television screen playing a DVD (although there was a big sign on the cabinet below warning people not to open it -- otherwise, the DVD player would be unhooked).

There was a hallway that presumable lead to more in the back, but the place was so crowded, we decided to just leave. This was more of a research trip than a land grab for us, so it wasn't worth the hassle. On the way out, I passed by one guy who seemed upset that he couldn't get any service.

The web site hasn't been updated yet; there's still no information about floor plans, prices, etc.

Meh. We'll probably end up buying in an established building anyways.

BTW, I've been following the Ottawa forum for a couple of months now. It's been an amazing source of information -- thanks to all who contribute!

Rocky1687
Jul 23, 2009, 8:40 PM
My wife and I signed up for and went to the "exclusive" launch event last night.

The e-mail said that it would start at 6:30, but when we got there at 6:15, the place was already absolutely packed. After having our names checked off on the invitee list, we found out that they had no more floor plans to give out. Strange, considering that they knew how many people had signed up, and it wasn't even official opening time yet.

This is unfortunate. I suspect that there was either a typo in the email you received or they were trying to spread everyone out. The start time was 5:30 sharp.

The web site hasn't been updated yet; there's still no information about floor plans, prices, etc.

The start time bit you again here. The handouts that they were out of when you arrived were packed with information...all the floor plans, prices, appliance details...basically everything you would be looking for before making a purchase.

There was a flurry of activity there and it wasn't just questions...they were busy signing people up.....I wouldn't be surprised if they sold out all the allotted units for the pre-sale. If that is the situation then expect the prices to be raised before the public sale. He who buys earliest gets the best deal in the condo market..., but don't get discouraged if you didn't catch the first round...the second round is still cheaper than a year from now....cheaper being a relative term here!

We'll probably end up buying in an established building anyways.

This is likely your best approach if your planning to move soon. You'd be waiting 2-3 years for any new build.

rocketphish
Jul 23, 2009, 9:03 PM
A marketing-type spiel from:
http://ottawahomesandcondos.blogspot.com/2009/07/instant-info-site-soho-parkway-location.html

SoHo Parkway - THE FIRST CONDOMINIUM PROJECT IN OTTAWA DESIGNED BY BRIAN GLUCKSTEIN AND SOHO MET HOTEL

Instant Info
site: SoHo Parkway
Condos: 508-2,779 sq.ft. penthouse
Price: $219,000 to $1.295M
occupancy: Sept. 2011
Presentation Gallery: 201 Parkdale
call: (613) 798-7646

SoHo Parkway is the first SoHo development in Ottawa; a limited edition of luxury condominiums inspired by award-winning SoHo Metropolitan Hotel and Mastercraft Starwood’s other SOHO luxury condominiums in Toronto. Mastercraft Starwood is an Ottawa-based developer that for more than 50 years has built more than 10,000 homes, apartment buildings, condominiums, land development, office buildings, shopping centres, and hotels in Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton. Mastercraft Starwood’s SoHo-branded condominiums are well-known in Toronto for their outstanding design features, lifestyle amenities and resale value.

SoHo Parkway sets a new standard in Ottawa according to Danny See, vice-president of sales. "We studied the market in Ottawa, and SoHo Parkway will be Ottawa’s most design-conscious condominiums," says See. "Architect Rod Lahey has designed a magnificent 15-storey point tower, with floor-to-ceiling windows, and a stunning rooftop skyclub and signature SoHo features. Gluckstein Design and SoHo Met Hotel Design Group have incorporated boutique hotel design features throughout-features that are just not available in any other luxury condominium in Ottawa. And Metropolitan Hotels will provide management and services."

Gluckstein Design is Canada’s pre-eminent residential interior design firm and Brian Gluckstein’s first residential condominium project in Ottawa. Gluckstein is the designer of the new Four Seasons Hotel and Residences in Toronto, the Windsor Arms Hotel, the Four Seasons in Palm Beach, as well as many exclusive private homes. Gluckstein’s work has earned several distinguished design awards and has been published in numerous international publications. Gluckstein and SoHo Met Design Group together with Lahey have designed SoHo floor plans with up to 20-foot wide living spaces with floor-to-ceiling and wall-to-wall windows, a SoHo design feature that maximizes natural light and feeling of spaciousness. Condominiums start on the 6th floor providing all suites with great views.

Suites also feature SoHo designer kitchens with AEG appliances that are integrated and concealed behind lacquered doors, Caesarstone counters and backsplashes of glass tile. An Italian stainless sink is accented by a side-mounted Cabano faucet. Boutique hotel design marble bathrooms feature five-foot showers with glass screen and a rain showerhead, diverter and hand shower.

Nothing else in Ottawa compares to SoHo Parkway which offers this winning combination of Gluckstein design, Metropolitan Hotel management and services, and high level of interior finishes and features-- and all of this with a starting price of only $219,900.

SoHo Parkway has been designed with unsurpassed lifestyle amenities; the SoHo Club features a fully equipped Dalton Brown Gym, a private theatre, roof top sundeck, hot tub and outdoor kitchen and barbecue. Metropolitan Hotels trained staff, including a concierge, can arrange housekeeping, laundry and dry-cleaning, grocery delivery, catering, messenger service, pet-sitting, reservations and ticket acquisition. VRTUCAR is on site. Business needs are addressed with the availability of an executive boardroom and business centre taking the concept of a home office to new heights.

In addition to enjoying the privileged lifestyle at SoHo Parkway in Ottawa all condo owners who purchase before October 30 are automatically eligible for SoHo Black Card providing them with up 10 nights’ of free hotel rooms each year for three years at SoHo Met Hotel in Toronto and Metropolitan Hotel in Vancouver.

SoHo Parkway offers the best of the best--the best area with the best bars, chic restaurants, hot clubs, art galleries and boutique shops. The ultimate in urban environments, it’s bordered by Wellington Village, the Capital Pathway with its trails and pathways along the Ottawa River, the Quad arts district and Parkdale Market of Hintonburg, and trendy Westboro Village. Those at work at Tunney’s Pasture will appreciate being able to enjoy a new way of life at SoHo Parkway.

The lowest mortgage rates in 50 years, BMO financing and a SoHo homebuyer’s plan offering ownership for as little as five per cent down, means there’s never been a better time to buy. These details and more can be reviewed at the stunning Presentation Gallery, 201 Parkdale, designed and furnished by Gluckstein, being showcased by appointment only. Pre-register now at www.sohoparkway.com or call 613- 798-7646 for an opportunity to experience the affordable luxury of SoHo Parkway.

Norman Bates
Jul 23, 2009, 10:49 PM
This is unfortunate. I suspect that there was either a typo in the email you received or they were trying to spread everyone out. The start time was 5:30 sharp.My invite was for 6:30. I got held up at work and didn't make it there until 7:30. When I did get there it was like a shark attack. There was no food, no more clean glasses and all but three units were gone. I told a guy there, who claimed that he was in charge of the plans, that it was really lame. He swore that no one was let in, or saw the plans, before 6:30. My BS detector was going off - and perhaps rightly so...

I would chaulk this one up as a learning experience. And from what I experienced Charlesfort has much less pliable values and ethics.

Davis137
Jul 24, 2009, 10:03 PM
If there were many sales made, then this building should get the go ahead from the creditors sooner rather than later. Even though this building will be completely out of place with the rest of the neighbourhood, it should prove the catalyst for further development...

Proof Sheet
Jul 25, 2009, 2:08 AM
Hmm, for a company that has apparently been around for 50 years, Mastercraft Starwood, I for one have never heard of them...did they go under a different name in the past or is this a shell game.:shrug:

Mille Sabords
Jul 31, 2009, 4:11 PM
Does anyone have a price list from the launch that they can post?

rocketphish
Aug 1, 2009, 1:52 PM
What recession?
Buying 'frenzy' breaks out for SoHo luxury condos off Parkdale Avenue

By Laura Payton, The Ottawa Citizen, August 1, 2009

At a glass sales centre on the western edge of Hintonburg, it seems the recession is over.

It was a buying frenzy last week as one of Canada's top designers and a veteran Ottawa developer combined forces to launch a 15-storey glass and brick tower at the corner of Parkdale Avenue and Scott Street.

The SoHo Parkway sales team sold 75 condos in two hours last Wednesday -- five more than they had planned to release during the "soft opening" to buyers who had registered for a first look at plans in the tower.

Now they're considering whether to offer up another 24 condos on three floors that were originally intended to be long-term rentals.

"I've never seen this. It was a frenzy," says Marnie Bennett, who's handling real estate sales for the building. Bennett's been in the business for 27 years and says while she remembers a few other condo locations with strong launches, the SoHo did $28 million of sales in two hours.

The SoHo is unique in Ottawa -- while construction hasn't started yet, the idea is to have a concierge, maid and room services available for residents. Plans also include a private theatre, executive boardroom and gym. And for post-meeting relaxing? A rooftop barbecue, patio, kitchen and solar-powered hot tub.

One buyer says the building's location and design innovation drew her to it. She says she also considered its potential resale value.

"The services and other amenities included with it were very appealing, and the prices were pretty reasonable also," says Joy Morgan, 31, who works in the social services field.

"We don't have the logistics of everything, but ... I have enough faith in what's happening and how they're managing everything that it would turn out to be phenomenal."

At the sales centre, the model kitchen and bathroom are enough to make most buyers swoon.

Marble floors and countertops and rainshower heads are standard (with an optional TV projected onto the bathroom mirror, at a cost of about $1,500), lacquered cabinetry in the kitchen sits under heat- and stain-proof Caesarstone countertops -- also standard -- with high-end European appliances and glass tile backsplashes.

The building is to be managed by Toronto's SoHo Metropolitan, a luxury hotel that includes residences.

Developed by Ottawa-based Mastercraft Starwood, the building is designed by Brian Gluckstein, who is the designer behind the Four Seasons and Windsor Arms hotels in Toronto, and the Four Seasons in Palm Beach. He also designs bedding and accessories for the Bay and is a regular magazine contributor.

A spokesman for Starwood says developer Bruce Greenberg is familiar with the Ottawa market, with the company having been based here since the 1950s.

"We studied the market and found most of the condominium projects are very typical, and we wanted to sort of introduce the SoHo hotel lifestyle to Ottawa," says Danny See. "We felt that Ottawa definitely has the demographic to appreciate this kind of product."

Construction is set to begin next spring, with a projected move-in date in the winter of 2011.

Prices start at $223,900 for a 508-square foot, one-bedroom, without a balcony.

Owners of the smaller units don't have the option of buying a parking spot, although plans include room for three car-sharing spots.

A 2,779-square-foot penthouse with two bedrooms, three bathrooms, multiple walk-in closets and living rooms, and a 190-square-foot balcony is priced at $1.2 million. All condos feature floor-to-ceiling windows, although some apartments have windows only in living rooms. At $0.33 per square foot, condo fees range from $167 a month in the smallest unit to $917 for the penthouse, not including hydro. Parking, at $29,500, will cost about the same as it would in a downtown building.

Starwood has plans to develop more luxury condominiums in Ottawa.

"We are confident that Ottawa has the market for buildings with great design and extraordinary services that the builder is capable to provide," says See, while declining to name a specific location. "We are actively looking at development opportunities."

June housing sales were on the increase in Ottawa, with the condo apartment market up 23.8 per cent over the previous month.

Average prices for condos in Ottawa were up 8.3 per cent, according to a report prepared by CRG Consulting for the Greater Ottawa Homebuilders' Association.

More information: sohoparkway.com

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/What+recession/1852521/story.html

Davis137
Aug 10, 2009, 7:38 PM
Waiting to see if they post up any kinda sales percentages outside of the presentation centre...

rocketphish
Aug 14, 2009, 12:00 AM
The Soho Parkway website was updated today:
http://www.sohoparkway.com

It now includes floorplans and this new rendering:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2502/3819286670_ca3e94c857_o_d.jpg

Zach6668
Aug 14, 2009, 9:14 AM
Pretty plain, but not utterly ugly.

The name bugs me though.. is "parkway" used in other residential buildings? I've never heard it before in that respect.

Davis137
Aug 14, 2009, 12:24 PM
The upper units are actually kinda large for such a small building...not bad..

rakerman
Aug 14, 2009, 7:27 PM
Arriving at this thread late.... obscure historical sidebar: The Strand condos were originally called The Soho, until someone (presumably Mastercraft Starwood or whomever holds the Soho brand) threatened legal action.

harls
Aug 14, 2009, 8:06 PM
I wonder if they use the Parkdale market as a selling point for this place, seeing as it's slightly closer than the Rideau Canal.

Mille Sabords
Aug 14, 2009, 8:19 PM
I find the floor plans in this building are excellent. Even the smallest apartments have entrance foyers. You don't just barge into your living room, a common design in too many condos and one that never really gives you any sense of arrival into a home.

Rokko
Aug 21, 2009, 4:44 AM
I am considering buying a one bedroom, east facing unit with a balcony in this condo building. What are your thoughts? You guys have a lot more knowledge than most people.

I really like the builder and design/amenities of the project, but I am uncertain regarding the area (mechanicsville/hintonburg) and the fact that it will be between two apartment buildings. Do you guys think this will be a good investment in a couple of years? What sort of price appreciation has there been in this area? Would I be better off buying more in the downtown area? I would likely not be living here, but either renting it or selling it shortly after completion (should I proceed with purchasing it). I look forward to your comments.

Thanks!

YOWetal
Aug 21, 2009, 12:35 PM
I am considering buying a one bedroom, east facing unit with a balcony in this condo building. What are your thoughts? You guys have a lot more knowledge than most people.

I really like the builder and design/amenities of the project, but I am uncertain regarding the area (mechanicsville/hintonburg) and the fact that it will be between two apartment buildings. Do you guys think this will be a good investment in a couple of years? What sort of price appreciation has there been in this area? Would I be better off buying more in the downtown area? I would likely not be living here, but either renting it or selling it shortly after completion (should I proceed with purchasing it). I look forward to your comments.

Thanks!

With real estate fees, land transfer tax, and legal fees in my opinion it will be very hard to make much money in Ottawa selling a condo right after completion (It's not 2004 anymore).

As for renting it depends on the area. The Market is the hottest rental area but there is also more rental competition. You should check out comparable rents in the area ,although this building will likely take rental rates to a whole new level for that area.

CondoGirl
Aug 22, 2009, 4:20 PM

Thanks!

I know of one investor who has purchased 5 units in the building and I expect s/he will do very well. Condo prices in the neighbourhood have been climbing steadily, with 2-bedrooms at Holland Cross now pushing towards $300K as well as Parkdale Terrace next door -- and these are both ~20 year old projects. There is no question that the area is in high demand but most condos are either older or fairly pricey for the size (ie. Bridgehead building).

With regards to renting, there is usually no problem finding good tenants and I'd estimate that 30-40% of the units in both Holland Cross and Parkdale Terrace are rentals, majority of them to public servants at Tunney's Pasture. To give you an idea about rents, a 2-bedroom/2-bath at 215 Parkdale is currently around $1600-1800/mth. How much higher people will pay for a luxury rental in this location is anybody's guess.

In terms of making a profit by selling after completion, this isn't Vancouver so I wouldn't expect to make a killing, but I think there will be a decent ROI, comparable to what I've seen people make at Claridge Plaza I this past year, ~15-20%.

But YMMV...! :)

Rokko
Aug 24, 2009, 2:44 PM
Thank you both for your input. I look forward to other comments.

YOWetal
Aug 24, 2009, 3:17 PM
In terms of making a profit by selling after completion, this isn't Vancouver so I wouldn't expect to make a killing, but I think there will be a decent ROI, comparable to what I've seen people make at Claridge Plaza I this past year, ~15-20%.

But YMMV...! :)

You also won't lose 100% + of you investment as many in Vancouver have.

Despite their bad rep on this forum Claridge buyers do seem to do well on resale.

CondoGirl
Aug 27, 2009, 10:40 PM
You also won't lose 100% + of you investment as many in Vancouver have.

Despite their bad rep on this forum Claridge buyers do seem to do well on resale.

Actually, Claridge buyers easily do the best on resale out of all the major builders in Ottawa. Say what you will about Claridge's shoddy workmanship, they nonetheless have a knack for nailing it square on the head in terms of location and price so their condos do very well in the resale market, selling fast to the 25-35 demographic, buyers more interested in location and convenience than building aesthetic and proper interior finishing.

kwoldtimer
Aug 28, 2009, 12:33 AM
Actually, Claridge buyers easily do the best on resale out of all the major builders in Ottawa. .......

Basis?

CondoGirl
Aug 28, 2009, 2:23 AM
Basis?

Subtracting the original purchase price from the resale price and dividing the original price by the difference.

rakerman
Sep 13, 2009, 1:35 PM
There's a full-page age for the SoHo Parkway on page A12 of the Saturday Citizen. "$219,000 to $1.2 million"

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2654/3915732138_56ee4c492f_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rakerman/3915732138/)

Davis137
Sep 17, 2009, 1:16 AM
Wow that's expensive...

Perhaps the misses and I SHOULD entertain looking at properties in Hintonburg and Mechanicsville afterall...we'd hopefully make a small profit on a place if this area of the city keeps being developed...

Rokko
Oct 2, 2009, 1:13 AM
The grand opening is scheduled for October 17th. I am not sure how many units are left at this point.

jboss
Oct 21, 2009, 5:38 PM
Anyone went to the 'Grand Opening' last weekend? I heard that the builder opened up 5th floor, and there were still some units available on the 14th floor.

waterloowarrior
Oct 23, 2009, 9:17 PM
Matt Richling has a post on the launch
http://www.mattrichling.com/2009/10/soho-parkway-ottawas-newest-condominium-building-for-sale/

http://www.mattrichling.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/img_2898.jpg

JFDWrDgpF9Q

Mille Sabords
Oct 25, 2009, 4:06 PM
Has anyone noticed the ads for Soho in this weekend's Citizen? There's a teasrer banner along the lower part of the ad saying: "Coming soon: Soho Champagne & Soho Lisgar"

waterloowarrior
Oct 25, 2009, 4:34 PM
Soho Champagne.. hmmm... maybe City Centre site or 801 Albert? (Champagne Ave N) or that old condo site just north of Carling (Champagne Ave S)

Soho Lisgar.... maybe Canus Plastics site @ 300 Lisgar (Brad Lamb was poking around on a recent episode of Big City Broker) or a partnership with Claridge (Portrait Gallery site or 287 Lisgar?)

^the above is pure speculation :)

waterloowarrior
Oct 25, 2009, 6:58 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2668/4043770104_92b70b2df9.jpg

rakerman
Oct 25, 2009, 10:02 PM
Soho Champagne.. hmmm... maybe City Centre site or 801 Albert? (Champagne Ave N) or that old condo site just north of Carling (Champagne Ave S)

Soho Lisgar.... maybe Canus Plastics site @ 300 Lisgar (Brad Lamb was poking around on a recent episode of Big City Broker) or a partnership with Claridge (Portrait Gallery site or 287 Lisgar?)

What's 287 Lisgar - the parking lot across from 300 Lisgar?

waterloowarrior
Oct 25, 2009, 10:17 PM
What's 287 Lisgar - the parking lot across from 300 Lisgar?

this site. (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=156239).. but I was just throwing out recent potential Lisgar development sites, no idea if it's connected to Soho

k2p
Oct 26, 2009, 11:29 PM
That's encouraging news re the two other ones.

My money would be on the Carling end of Champagne, near Dow's Lake and the new Domicile development. There are some prime spots there that would need less rehabilitation than the northern end.

There are so many crappy lots on Lisgar they're spoiled for choice. There's a gravel parking lot east of Metcalfe; more between Bank and O'Connor; a paved lot next to the Everett near Kent Street; and an old nightclub directly across from that. And that old plastic plant.

Toss in 287 Lisgar and you've got at least six awful lots on a four-block stretch of Lisgar. How pathetic is that?

Rokko
Oct 30, 2009, 2:09 AM
Hmm... SOHO Lisgar sounds very nice. The more infill we can have in the western part of the downtown core the better; there are some really needy areas on Lisgar. This city's come a long way in the last 10 years.

What sort of timeline do you think there may be for these two other SOHO projects? I would think at least 1-2 years to find and purchase a lot and go through the approval levels. But I think this company is very happy with the reception they've received in Ottawa with SOHO Parkway.

archie-tect
Oct 30, 2009, 4:19 PM
The Champagne one, I wonder if that is on the site of the proposed Acquello Condo (sorry about the spelling) I think it was supposed to be at Champgne and Hickory.

Proof Sheet
Oct 30, 2009, 4:42 PM
The Champagne one, I wonder if that is on the site of the proposed Acquello Condo (sorry about the spelling) I think it was supposed to be at Champgne and Hickory.

Here is the sign for Acquello

http://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&q=125+Hickory+Ottawa&fb=1&gl=ca&cid=0,0,9053798744236241467&ei=shbrSpKuG8-rlAeGgpmABQ&ved=0CA0QnwIwAA&hq=125+Hickory+Ottawa&hnear=&ll=45.397998,-75.711229&spn=0,359.972126&z=16&layer=c&cbll=45.397902,-75.711168&panoid=yheZe_AsJkadMNPEx53rng&cbp=12,51.42,,1,-4.45

It doesn't look like much activity on the site. That property has gone through a few ownership and design incarnations over the years.

waterloowarrior
Nov 3, 2009, 4:50 AM
west side action has several recent posts (http://westsideaction.blogspot.com/search/label/Bayview-Carling%20CDP) about the Champagne Ave area... lots of potential development sites and a couple of rumours including a rumour that this site (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ottawa,+on&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=46.422473,114.169922&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario&ll=45.397787,-75.7111&spn=0.006132,0.013937&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=45.397902,-75.711168&panoid=yheZe_AsJkadMNPEx53rng&cbp=12,316.26,,0,8.81) will see an 8 storey condo and that the Acquerello site is for sale

Proof Sheet
Nov 3, 2009, 5:02 PM
west side action has several recent posts (http://westsideaction.blogspot.com/search/label/Bayview-Carling%20CDP) about the Champagne Ave area... lots of potential development sites and a couple of rumours including a rumour that this site (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ottawa,+on&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=46.422473,114.169922&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario&ll=45.397787,-75.7111&spn=0.006132,0.013937&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=45.397902,-75.711168&panoid=yheZe_AsJkadMNPEx53rng&cbp=12,316.26,,0,8.81) will see an 8 storey condo and that the Acquerello site is for sale

I know that the Acquerello site used to be owned by the same developers that built this

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Ottawa,+ON&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.409192,114.169922&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario,+Canada&ll=45.400333,-75.710371&spn=0.01011,0.027874&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=45.400367,-75.710259&panoid=KlHNaZqF4M0WHmXMAbb9_g&cbp=12,299.04,,0,-0.54

then there were some money difficulties with the original owner of Acqurello and the lands fell into the ownership of the project architect who I gather is now trying to sell it.

waterloowarrior
Dec 2, 2009, 6:44 PM

Soho Lisgar has been confirmed for the Canus plastics site according to
http://ottawacondos.blogspot.com/2009/12/confirmed-location-for-soho-lisgar.html

rakerman
Dec 2, 2009, 11:15 PM
If true, SOHO Lisgar should be a nice addition to the area. More feet on Centretown sidewalks at night = good.

AuxTown
Dec 3, 2009, 2:30 AM
That'll be a great location! Can't wait to see the renderings.

rakerman
Dec 5, 2009, 9:20 PM
SOHO Parkway ad in the Citizen today

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2517/4160551121_1b4aea8938.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rakerman/4160551121/)

Includes URL for site for SOHO Lisgar & Champagne.

http://www.sohovipclub.com/

For SOHO Lisgar they have an "aerial map".

http://www.sohovipclub.com/images/main_images/soho_lisgar_map.jpg (http://www.sohovipclub.com/pop_up_location_01.html)

Time to start a SOHO Lisgar thread?

AuxTown
Dec 6, 2009, 9:59 PM
I don't see why not. I don't see a project like this taking very long at all to sell out. Any bets as to when we see a shovel in the ground? I'll bet before 2010 is over.

rodionx
Dec 7, 2009, 3:46 AM
That's encouraging news re the two other ones.

There are so many crappy lots on Lisgar they're spoiled for choice. There's a gravel parking lot east of Metcalfe; more between Bank and O'Connor; a paved lot next to the Everett near Kent Street; and an old nightclub directly across from that. And that old plastic plant.

Toss in 287 Lisgar and you've got at least six awful lots on a four-block stretch of Lisgar. How pathetic is that?

If you keep going west on Lisgar, you'll find some Glebe-like residences next to properties that look like they were shipped in special from Vanier. Anything goes on Lisgar. The corner of Bank and Lisgar is the best: next door or across the street from each other, you have.... a bible shop, an avant garde video store, a mosque, a sex shop, and a plastics factory. Basically everything you need to complete your day. :)

blackjagger
Feb 19, 2010, 5:04 PM
The SOHO Parkway website says the construction starts February. Has anyone been by this lately? It would be great if they could start on this one and move on to Lisgar and Champange.

Cheers,
Josh

cityguy
Feb 20, 2010, 2:56 AM
Went for a run by there yesterday,NO action at all.

Davis137
Feb 22, 2010, 4:58 PM
I saw hydro Ottawa doing a bunch of stuff there this past week...wonder if it's to start removing the hydro service from the old exsisting buildings that they built the office into...

Davis137
Mar 24, 2010, 2:29 PM
Drove past here this morning on my way out of the central part of the city (dropped of the wife at PDP), and I saw that the sales center is completely gone, that the old houses are partially deconstructed and have the window frames boarded up again, and it looked like Hydro Ottawa was there again to do the changes needed to remove the old hydro services from the location in prep for the new stuff once the excavation had been done.

concrete06
Mar 24, 2010, 11:58 PM
Here's what it looks like as of this afternoon. (by me)

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/sci99/IMG_0773.jpg

Davis137
Mar 25, 2010, 12:49 PM
Yup, that's what I saw...it felt weird driving through that neighbourhood the other day, knowing that I don't live there anymore, and that I had to still drive all the way down to the south end of the city.

I'll still look forward to this site begining construction, as it's going to be the nicest looking building in that area...

waterloowarrior
Mar 28, 2010, 1:30 AM
MINOR VARIANCE/PERMISSION APPLICATION
Under Section 45 of the Planning Act
To be held on Wednesday, April 7, 2010 starting at 1:00 p.m.
http://www.kitchissippiward.com/committee-of-adjustment-summary-of-applications-for-april-7-2010/

File No. D08-02-10/A-00047
Owner(s): SOHO Parkdale Inc.
Committee Panel: 1
Ward: 15 – Kitchissippi Legal Description: Lots 15 & 16, Reg. Plan
No. 35
Zone: R5B H(37)
Zoning By-law: 2008-250
Former Municipality: Ottawa
PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION

In 2009, the Committee of Adjustment approved Minor Variances for the construction of a proposed 15-storey apartment building on this property. One of the minor variances related to the reduction in landscaped area to 9% (81 square metres). The Owner now wants to add an exterior, unenclosed 1.425 m x 11.95 m stair and ramp, to the south side of the proposed building, to access a bicycle parking area in the garage, as shown on plans filed with the Committee.

RELIEF REQUIRED
In order to do this, the Owner requires the Authority of the Committee for a Minor Variance from the Zoning By-law to permit a reduction in landscaped area to 7% of the lot area, or 66 square metres, whereas the By-law states that 30% of the lot area must be provided as landscape area, in this case, 270 square metres.
THE APPLICATION indicates th

harls
Apr 12, 2010, 7:14 PM
I drove by there just about an hour ago, and the two houses are gone.

Davis137
Apr 22, 2010, 1:29 PM
Has this location progressed any further yet? I would imagine that they are getting ready to excavate...

blackjagger
Apr 22, 2010, 1:51 PM
Last time I was by I tried to take a pic while driving. To say the least the result was poor. But the site has been cleared, top soil stripped, men on site and a pile driver starting along the front of the site. That was the beginning of this week. I'll see if I can swing by tomorrow and get some real evidence.

Cheers,
Josh

blackjagger
Apr 30, 2010, 4:29 PM
Hoarding is up around site, looks like they have excavated to atleast 1 stoery below grade. How many parking levels does this one have?

Cheers,
Josh

McC
May 8, 2010, 1:22 PM
I don't know how deep they're trying to go, but they've been blasting for a couple of weeks now. (gives our house a good tremor every time.)

Davis137
May 8, 2010, 6:06 PM
Glad to see/hear that this project is finally kicking off in full swing!

McC
May 20, 2010, 2:39 PM
still blasting and jack-hamering every morning, 6 days a week; here's hoping they take the long weekend off.

McC
Jun 8, 2010, 11:47 PM
...still blasting... still.

Lakche
Jun 9, 2010, 1:51 PM
How deep are they going at this site?

I drive by here sometimes but can't see in at all due to the wood fences.

McC
Jul 8, 2010, 12:29 AM
Crane went up today, so they're as deep as they're gonna get.

Lakche
Jul 10, 2010, 11:18 AM
I think this should be changed to U/C

Davis137
Jul 11, 2010, 2:27 PM
Can't wait to see this building hit grade and beyond either this fall, or early next year...it'll look great when done!

waterloowarrior
Jul 17, 2010, 12:08 AM
They plan to update their site occaisionally with construction pics... these pics of the blasting are a little old (from May) but the next update should be soon
http://www.sohoparkway.com/constructionstatus.html

http://www.sohoparkway.com/images/main_images/main_image_10.jpg