PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Roads

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

craner
Apr 27, 2010, 5:24 AM
I agree with what you say about capacity etc.,and the improvmenets increasing the distance in which people will travel. However, I disagree with what you say about the road taking away from the area. What I mean is that I think Crowchild has already done that. It's bad for pedestrians, and nobody wants to live next to it. I don't think eliminating the lights would make it worse, as it's already terrible.

If anything, one overpass or underpass at Kennsignton or 5th, might make it better for the surrounding area, as instead of having 100,000 cars per day inching through your community, they'd just fly by. The damage to the area is already done in my mind.

Based on Sir Humphrey's numbers, (~$350million), I think this improvment would be a far better use of money than the airport tunnel which would only see a quarter the traffic volumes of Crowchild Trail.

I agree with everything you say here. The same comments can be applied to 14 street SW as well. I don't understand how long lines of vehicles waiting at a stop light belching out exhaust fumes is preferable to an interchange that keeps the vehicles moving and allows pedestrians to cross the road on the bridge above.
For me the bottom line is Crowchild is a major artery which is "freeway like" on each side of this section - it should not have at-grade intersections and stop lights. My one vote is to get on with it - from the Bow river through 24th Ave.
:superwhip

hulkrogan
Apr 27, 2010, 5:46 PM
Agreed. I know everyone that walks to work hates freeways, but they are an important part of the economy for a lot of businesses that have to distribute products across town.

Just be happy our freeways skirt the edges of downtown instead of plowing straight through.

Whatever they have to do at University/5th/Kensington will likely be quite ugly, but as others have suggested, it already is. Look at that decrepit "Bachelor Arms" style apartment building right there. I bet the residents would rather have a raised freeway for that portion than that abomination.

Hopefully they get creative so it's not overly horrible for people walking around the area, but it's not exactly a booming pedestrian corridor right now anyway.

craner
Apr 27, 2010, 6:23 PM
:previous: Agreed.

Hopefully they get creative so it's not overly horrible for people walking around the area, but it's not exactly a booming pedestrian corridor right now anyway.

And I don't think it needs to be - that's not it's primary purpose. Other streets in the area are more suited to this.

freeweed
Apr 27, 2010, 7:55 PM
Now that I've had a chance to drive around during morning and evening rush hours, I think I can make my final comments on the effect of the closure of Rocky Ridge Rd:

Contrary to the predictions of doom and gloom from residents, things are moving very smoothly at just about any hour of the day. The road improvements in the area over the past few years were certainly needed (extra turning lanes, etc) but for the most part you don't sit and wait for more than one light, even at the heaviest part of the rush.

The left turn into Royal Oak from CHB does get backed up somewhat, but they've increased the time of the advanced turn light significantly and you never have to wait more than one cycle of the lights. By far most traffic either turns right immediately (no stopping) or turns left into the areas of Royal Oak previously served by RR Rd. That lane does get backed up at the 4-way but no more than a dozen or so cars.

The right turn out of Royal Oak is being converted into a dedicated lane (instead of the yield that used to be there). For now a lot of inattentive drivers are coming to a complete stop :hell: , but they're slowly learning. Once that work is done, getting out will be a breeze. CHB eastbound is now reduced to 2 lanes at that intersection, which is more than sufficient.

SB Stoney is a lot busier and the left turn onto EB Crowchild - what can I say, the extra turn lane was a MUST. In the mornings both lanes can get filled pretty quick but again, the light seems longer now so it moves more cars through and overall works. Stoney and Crowchild are both backed up in almost every direction anyway due to all the construction; this will all go away once it fully opens next year.

Really, it's all been a non-issue. For those residents who now have to drive "extra" through Royal Oak or Rocky Ridge, sure it takes an extra couple of minutes to get home. I'd be annoyed, personally. But in terms of overall traffic impact? I'd say it's barely noticeable. A visiting buddy commented on it seeming busier, but then pointed out that it didn't actually take any longer to get anywhere.

I'll give the City's roads department major congrats here. The forecasting was bang on, and the extra work was exactly what was needed to keep traffic moving efficiently. With both neighbourhoods just about built out, there won't be any increase in traffic so I see no reason why this isn't a closed issue.

lubicon
Apr 27, 2010, 8:13 PM
Now that I've had a chance to drive around during morning and evening rush hours, I think I can make my final comments on the effect of the closure of Rocky Ridge Rd:

Contrary to the predictions of doom and gloom from residents, things are moving very smoothly at just about any hour of the day. The road improvements in the area over the past few years were certainly needed (extra turning lanes, etc) but for the most part you don't sit and wait for more than one light, even at the heaviest part of the rush.

The left turn into Royal Oak from CHB does get backed up somewhat, but they've increased the time of the advanced turn light significantly and you never have to wait more than one cycle of the lights. By far most traffic either turns right immediately (no stopping) or turns left into the areas of Royal Oak previously served by RR Rd. That lane does get backed up at the 4-way but no more than a dozen or so cars.

The right turn out of Royal Oak is being converted into a dedicated lane (instead of the yield that used to be there). For now a lot of inattentive drivers are coming to a complete stop :hell: , but they're slowly learning. Once that work is done, getting out will be a breeze. CHB eastbound is now reduced to 2 lanes at that intersection, which is more than sufficient.

SB Stoney is a lot busier and the left turn onto EB Crowchild - what can I say, the extra turn lane was a MUST. In the mornings both lanes can get filled pretty quick but again, the light seems longer now so it moves more cars through and overall works. Stoney and Crowchild are both backed up in almost every direction anyway due to all the construction; this will all go away once it fully opens next year.

Really, it's all been a non-issue. For those residents who now have to drive "extra" through Royal Oak or Rocky Ridge, sure it takes an extra couple of minutes to get home. I'd be annoyed, personally. But in terms of overall traffic impact? I'd say it's barely noticeable. A visiting buddy commented on it seeming busier, but then pointed out that it didn't actually take any longer to get anywhere.

I'll give the City's roads department major congrats here. The forecasting was bang on, and the extra work was exactly what was needed to keep traffic moving efficiently. With both neighbourhoods just about built out, there won't be any increase in traffic so I see no reason why this isn't a closed issue.

Good observations Freeweed, and not surprising. The only thing I would argue (slightly) is that traffic will likely increase along CHB but probably not by much. Hopefully the new NW Rec Centre will get build sometime in my lifetime and you will see traffic associated with it.

Mazrim
Apr 27, 2010, 9:07 PM
Contrary to the predictions of doom and gloom from residents, things are moving very smoothly at just about any hour of the day.
Not surprising in the least. Another nail in the coffin to NIMBYism everywhere. ;)

Ramsayfarian
Apr 28, 2010, 3:13 AM
Not surprising in the least. Another nail in the coffin to NIMBYism everywhere. ;)

I think you've confused being a NiMBY with afraid of being inconvenienced.

Here's an example of being a NIMBY at it's worse.

"Residents at Stonemill are opposing an attempt to turn an empty retail site into housing for people with Alzheimer's or dementia."

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/92145794.html?page=1&c=y

Ramsayfarian
Apr 28, 2010, 3:18 AM
Almost forgot what brought me to this thread.

I noticed this afternoon that The Circle of Death has reopened today, with improvements. Curbing, actual sidewalks,landscaping and some sort of inner lane thing that kind of looks like F-1 curbing.

I'm hoping to take the dogs up there tomorrow and get some snaps. First time in my life, that I wished the Flames were in the playoffs. :jester:

SmokWawelski
Apr 28, 2010, 4:27 AM
freeweed "I'll give the City's roads department major congrats here. The forecasting was bang on, and the extra work was exactly what was needed to keep traffic moving efficiently."

Please don't...it'll get to their heads :):):)

You know I live in Royal Oak and I still don't like it. I drive by the closed Rocky Ridge fully knowing my house is a minute away and I can't get to it. I have to head out to 12 mile, or go up to Country Hills for the gauntlet of lights and stop signs :(:(:(:(

Plus, I've driven these roads in winter and a good dump of snow, and if the city will plow them the way they did in previous years, there is no way any one will be able to get out or into these neighbourhoods, especially the uphill by the Co-op and the uphill on Royal Oak Drive.

Otherwise, it has added 5 minutes to my time.

freeweed
Apr 28, 2010, 1:45 PM
:previous: Well that's exactly it. It does indeed suck if you live close to the RR Rd intersection. Overall though, it's no worse than most other NW neighbourhoods. Almost none of them have direct access off Crowchild.

Stang
Apr 28, 2010, 2:12 PM
I'm hoping to take the dogs up there tomorrow and get some snaps. First time in my life, that I wished the Flames were in the playoffs. :jester:

The Hitmen should have some good crowds this Friday and Saturday, and depending on how the series goes, possibly next Friday and Monday.

I'm sure that you'll be able to capture some confusion regardless if you simply observe it for a few minutes, any time of day. ;)

Mazrim
Apr 28, 2010, 3:22 PM
I think you've confused being a NiMBY with afraid of being inconvenienced.

No, I'm using the term correctly. Not in My Back Yard - A resident/owner not wanting the area around their property to be changed in any way. A road based example I have is when I was living in Kelowna and they proposed turning a street in the North end into a part of the North Connector through the city. For some reason, every person in the neighbourhood was against having more lanes on a road that was already quite busy. They just didn't want change. A NIMBY thinks that changes will make life worse for them.

freeweed
Apr 28, 2010, 3:37 PM
A NIMBY thinks that changes will make life worse for them.

Well yes, but while that is the motivation for most NIMBYs, it doesn't mean that every time someone tries to prevent change they're being a NIMBY.

If people had argued against Crowchild itself being turned into a freeway, THAT'S being NIMBY. Arguing against the road closure itself isn't really NIMBY, it's just being against any change. Admittedly, there were some who opposed the closure because of increased traffic on street X, etc - those were NIMBYs. However most people simply opposed the closure due to the inconvenience factor.

The term is rapidly losing its original meaning, sadly. It used to refer to people who didn't want industrial (usually) sites being built close to their homes. Power plants, meat packing facilities, that sort of thing. A traditional NIMBY *wants* the new power plant, he just doesn't want it built *next door* - hence the "Back Yard" part of nimBY. These days we seem to use it as a catch-all for anyone opposing anything. Those people are more correctly termed BANANAs.

Opposing the Peace Bridge because it will generate way too much pedestrian traffic near your Kensington home? NIMBY. Opposing it because Silly Hall shouldn't be wasting tax money on designer bridges when puppies are starving? BANANA.

fusili
Apr 28, 2010, 3:44 PM
:previous: Freeweed got it right. NIMBYs are people who want something in their city, just as long as it isn't in their back yard. So someone who lives next to the Elbow river who opposes better pathways near their house, but wants better pathways in places like Edworth park, or other areas, would be a NIMBY. Someone who opposes pathway development along the river in general would not be a NIMBY. So in short, NIMBY=hypocrite.

Another good example is density. Many people will say that the city has to stop sprawling, and needs to densify the inner-city. But when that densification happens in their community, they oppose it.

MalcolmTucker
Apr 28, 2010, 4:18 PM
I prefer the term CAVE People over BANANAs, but I am not sure which one would be more offensive! (and believe being offensive is certainly the goal in these cases)

freeweed
Apr 28, 2010, 4:39 PM
You're right, CAVE is a better term still. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAVE_People)

BANANA is still focused on development, CAVE is people who just hate everything. I love this part of the Wikipedia article:

"CAVE People" often express their views by attending community meetings, writing letters to the local newspaper, or calling in to talk radio shows.

Heeeeeeeello Herald comments section!

Mazrim
Apr 28, 2010, 6:54 PM
Fair enough, I was mistaken. I will eat this sub beside me and pretend it is crow. :haha:

frinkprof
Apr 28, 2010, 7:08 PM
Nevermind.

Stang
Apr 28, 2010, 7:16 PM
Geez Mazrim, get your insulting acronyms right!

Or if you're going to mix up insulting acronyms, do it somewhere else. Anywhere else, just not here.

(See what I did there?)

devonb
Apr 28, 2010, 7:32 PM
Nimby :previous:

Mazrim
Apr 28, 2010, 8:57 PM
Google Maps now shows Stoney Trail up to...McKnight Blvd. (and a ton more around the Calgary area too, like Building outlines, Ponds/Wetlands, Parks, Reserves, and more. It makes Calgary look busy.)

EDIT: Haha, they show the 60th Street interchange, which isn't even built yet. Deerfoot also looks incomplete. Weird.

bookermorgan
Apr 28, 2010, 9:31 PM
You cant get from stoney to deerfoot apparently...

1. Head east on AB-201 N toward Barlow Trail NE
2.5 km
2. Sharp right at Barlow Trail NE
3.3 km
3. Turn right at Country Hills Blvd NE
700 m
4. Merge onto AB-2 N via the ramp to Red Deer
Destination will be on the right
3.1 km

At least more of the new communities roads are on there now :)

mersar
Apr 28, 2010, 9:37 PM
You cant get from stoney to deerfoot apparently...

1. Head east on AB-201 N toward Barlow Trail NE
2.5 km
2. Sharp right at Barlow Trail NE
3.3 km
3. Turn right at Country Hills Blvd NE
700 m
4. Merge onto AB-2 N via the ramp to Red Deer
Destination will be on the right
3.1 km

Looks like the NB to EB off ramp got extended off of the end of Barlow not off of Deerfoot. Similar on the north side the off ramp joins onto the old Barlow, and on the west side off of 24th street. You can also go north, but not south, at Metis. Still no access to 14th St either, and half of Sarcee is still on the detour alignment, as is part of the Country Hills Blvd NW interchange.

They've also realigned 85th Street to the intersection at 112th, but didn't realign 112th to the intersection.

freeweed
Apr 28, 2010, 9:39 PM
Hey, thanks! They've added quite a lot although as pointed out, Stoney isn't exactly correct yet. The satellite imagery is still woefully out of date, hopefully this summer they get some new stuff.

This is my favourite so far. (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=AB-201+N&daddr=AB-201+N+to:51.12557,-114.04604&hl=en&geocode=FQqXDAMdsLsy-Q%3BFfbgDAMdVns0-Q%3B&mra=mi&mrcr=1&mrsp=2&sz=12&sll=51.135201,-113.986931&sspn=0.193025,0.41851&ie=UTF8&ll=51.120549,-113.99929&spn=0.193086,0.41851&t=h&z=12) That hard 180 turn on Stoney to get back to Deerfoot sure looks like a doozy. I think this is what bookermorgan was alluding to.

Edit: looks like this was rolled out as part of a pretty major update to Earth/Maps yesterday. Earth got some new imagery but Maps got quite a lot of new stuff. The GIS layers for buildings etc, but also a direct "Earth" link which loads the Earth plugin. Still playing around to see what else is new.

Edit the second: ah, one REALLY COOL thing added is a layer that properly identifies most "minor" lakes in Canada. ie: ones less than 1km across. This sort of info is oftentimes difficult to find so as a backcountry addict I'm very pleased! Also, they've started to add street numbering (you may need to zoom in pretty close to see this). It's definitely not perfect, at least looking at my area, but at least it's a start.

Edit the last (for now): they're removed the "terrain" button. Bastards!

mersar
Apr 28, 2010, 9:53 PM
Edit the last (for now): they're removed the "terrain" button. Bastards!

Terrain is under the 'more...' button (at least if you are logged into a google account)

mooky
Apr 28, 2010, 10:25 PM
Just looking at google maps, and wondering to myself why they didn't extend and hook memorial up to Stoney Trail, it seems like an almost perfect place to join two fairly major roads, and not have to do too much extra work.

Granted Memorial isn't a major road in terms of speed in most places, but its still fairly well traveled and is a great east/west connector for the central part of the city. I know you can backtrack to 16th or 17th depending where you are, but just wondering if there was a particular reason.

frinkprof
Apr 28, 2010, 10:27 PM
Nevermind.

mooky
Apr 28, 2010, 10:39 PM
forced road allowance?

Sorry I'm not familiar with that term. Do you mean it would have to continue east past Stoney to be considered?

Just seems kind of strange that such an obvious hookup wouldn't be done. All they would have to do is extend it from where it dead-ends now out through a pretty-pointless strip they call a park, and boom, your pretty much there.

Mazrim
Apr 28, 2010, 10:45 PM
They're trying to reduce the number of interchanges along the stretch to prevent crowded weaving movements (such as at WB Stoney between Metis and Deerfoot, or between Beddington and Shaganappi).

The original TUC allows for interchanges at double the rate that is being built! I'm grateful they didn't built it out that way.

On a side note, I don't have google earth so it was neat to fiddle around with the plug in and see downtown in 3D!

Ramsayfarian
Apr 28, 2010, 10:46 PM
The Hitmen should have some good crowds this Friday and Saturday, and depending on how the series goes, possibly next Friday and Monday.

I'm sure that you'll be able to capture some confusion regardless if you simply observe it for a few minutes, any time of day. ;)

I've seen enough confusion, I just want heavy traffic for a nice little time lapsed photo. As the Hitmen are the only game currently in town, that should work. Now it's just a question of braving this shitty weather.

You Need A Thneed
Apr 28, 2010, 10:47 PM
Just looking at google maps, and wondering to myself why they didn't extend and hook memorial up to Stoney Trail, it seems like an almost perfect place to join two fairly major roads, and not have to do too much extra work.

Granted Memorial isn't a major road in terms of speed in most places, but its still fairly well traveled and is a great east/west connector for the central part of the city. I know you can backtrack to 16th or 17th depending where you are, but just wondering if there was a particular reason.

mostly to keep the entrances and exits along Stoney far enough apart from each other - Avoiding the problems of Deerfoot, where interchagnes are too close to each other, causing problems.

You could wonder the same question about 32nd Ave, and to a lesser extent 64th Ave and 80th Ave as well.

I would guess that there will be flyovers over Stoney at those roads in the future, perhaps even full interchanges (with complicated ramps) when there is more development on the East side of Stoney.

A Memorial Drive flyover would make the residents of Chateau Estates pretty happy, I would think. They have terrible access now. Either down 84th to 17th Ave (nearly 2 mile)s, or south to memorial Drive (is it built through as a secondary access?) East to 100th, and North to 16th Ave.

If you wanted to do this drive (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=51.064486,-113.914576&daddr=17+Ave+SE%2FAB-1A+W+to:Del+Ray+Rd+NE&hl=en&geocode=%3BFXLGCgMdxL01-Q%3BFSBDCwMdoJ01-Q&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=14&via=1&sll=51.059631,-113.909512&sspn=0.049846,0.065918&ie=UTF8&z=14) it currently takes 9.5 km of driving to end up about 500 metres from where you started.

Edit:
Even better. (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=AB-1A++E+to:51.08169,-113.902044+to:84+St+NE&geocode=FaYuCwMdQM01-Q%3BFY3GCgMdbfU1-Q%3B%3BFe0_CwMdsdc1-Q&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=14&via=1,2&sll=51.059631,-113.909512&sspn=0.049846,0.065918&ie=UTF8&z=14) It takes 12.5 kms to drive to the driving range that they can see out their back window, about 200 metres away.

frinkprof
Apr 28, 2010, 10:49 PM
Nevermind.

bookermorgan
Apr 28, 2010, 10:55 PM
Taking a quick look at Spin, it looks like the land is part of the TUC for Memorial, 32nd and 64th. Also looks like they will go past Stoney. Doesn't look like they did the same for 80th though.

You Need A Thneed
Apr 28, 2010, 11:02 PM
Taking a quick look at Spin, it looks like the land is part of the TUC for Memorial, 32nd and 64th. Also looks like they will go past Stoney. Doesn't look like they did the same for 80th though.

Yeah, 80th street is never going to go through, even as a flyover, the communities have been designed as that road being permanently closed east of Taradale drive. Memorial, 32nd, and 64th all still have cleaer rights of way to build full interchanges with Stoney, but I doubt that they get more then Flyovers.

I can see a flyover at Memorial being built in the next 10 years, especially if there's big box retail going in East of Stoney. 32nd and 64th will be at least 20 years away I would guess.

SmokWawelski
Apr 30, 2010, 1:14 AM
"Plus, I've driven these roads in winter and a good dump of snow, and if the city will plow them the way they did in previous years, there is no way any one will be able to get out or into these neighbourhoods, especially the uphill by the Co-op and the uphill on Royal Oak Drive."

Funny, the above quote from April 27, 2010 is mine and on 29th we get a dump of snow and guess what happened...... a city of Calgary bus was stuck trying to make it up the hill on Royal Oak Drive. It slid in such a way that it pretty much blocked most of Royal Oak Drive. To top it all of it was very close to where the "traffic calming measure"/narrowing of the street were installed, needless to say there were lots of cars that could not get out of the neighbourhood and plenty of people that stood waiting for the bus that never came.

freeweed
Apr 30, 2010, 2:27 AM
"Plus, I've driven these roads in winter and a good dump of snow, and if the city will plow them the way they did in previous years, there is no way any one will be able to get out or into these neighbourhoods, especially the uphill by the Co-op and the uphill on Royal Oak Drive."

Funny, the above quote from April 27, 2010 is mine and on 29th we get a dump of snow and guess what happened...... a city of Calgary bus was stuck trying to make it up the hill on Royal Oak Drive. It slid in such a way that it pretty much blocked most of Royal Oak Drive. To top it all of it was very close to where the "traffic calming measure"/narrowing of the street were installed, needless to say there were lots of cars that could not get out of the neighbourhood and plenty of people that stood waiting for the bus that never came.

I would never have made it work by bus, because you're exactly right on this one. And "traffic calming" shit is worse than Hitler. People who advocate it should be lobotomized. Oh wait, they already are, that's why they think it's a good idea.

Fucking NIMBYs. Oh well, at least it's not as bad as Elbow Drive yet.

PS: just realized we have 3 forumers in my neighbourhood. RO represent!

kap384
May 2, 2010, 2:11 AM
PS: just realized we have 3 forumers in my neighbourhood. RO represent!

4 actually

BP_Brandon
May 2, 2010, 3:22 AM
I never really did understand how by narrowing the road helps any. I live in the upper part of RO Drive so the closing of RRR @ CC doesn’t really effect me other then RO Drive is a little busier. I agree with Fireweed that the changes made are helpful with the extra traffic flow.

I have noticed increased CPS presence lately, they have been ticketing people going through the red turn light from CHB to RB Blvd at the tale end of traffic making the turn. Also, I take Stoney Trail to work in the morning around 06:45, be careful I have noticed CPS sitting in the median just over the hill east of the CHB interchange watching eastbound traffic.

Kind of an Alabama Speed Trap as people are accelerating up the hill, going from 60 up to 100, then as they tip over, if they are not careful will get nailed by the guy sitting on the other side. Oh, while I’m on the subject, a new CPS radar spot is sitting behind the sign at the entrance to ball field park on 112 ave watching eastbound traffic.

freeweed
May 2, 2010, 4:53 AM
Yeah, I'm not one to normally think this way, but it's remarkable how much CPS has been out this year compared to normal. What's different than a year ago that would cause this?

a) major increase in accidents/deaths/whatever
b) major city budget shortfall

Well, I know of one thing that's different.

eggbert
May 2, 2010, 7:09 AM
4 actually

make that 5

MalcolmTucker
May 2, 2010, 2:34 PM
Yeah, I'm not one to normally think this way, but it's remarkable how much CPS has been out this year compared to normal. What's different than a year ago that would cause this?

a) major increase in accidents/deaths/whatever
b) major city budget shortfall

Well, I know of one thing that's different.
Hey, don't forget the police have a new Big Box HQ to pay for!:rolleyes:

Ramsayfarian
May 2, 2010, 3:41 PM
30th Ave SE, which was the wee little road that connected Highfield Rd to Dartmouth Rd is gone and doesn't look like it will ever be coming back.

freeweed
May 2, 2010, 4:44 PM
make that 5

This is getting spooky.

SmokWawelski
May 2, 2010, 5:01 PM
For those in Royal Oak, check out how nicely the snow plow removed parts of the "calming measure" curb :):):) going up Royal Oak Drive :):):) I guess he didn't realize that a wide road such as that, could possibly be narrowed for no apparent reason.....

Am I counted in the 5? I think I am :)

mersar
May 2, 2010, 5:44 PM
30th Ave SE, which was the wee little road that connected Highfield Rd to Dartmouth Rd is gone and doesn't look like it will ever be coming back.

Yep, I noticed that on Friday on my way to the Hitmen game. The traffic circle didn't seem too chaotic when we went through there, but it was quite busy.

Ramsayfarian
May 2, 2010, 6:02 PM
Yep, I noticed that on Friday on my way to the Hitmen game. The traffic circle didn't seem too chaotic when we went through there, but it was quite busy.

I experience my first train through the traffic circle. Once the barriers were up the traffic started flowing nicely for about 30 seconds, then folks got impatient and started cutting other people off.

What did you think of that inner curb/sidewalk/road thingy?

mersar
May 2, 2010, 6:23 PM
Overall it seems like the concrete curbs work to get everyone going the right way. Didn't pay too much attention to the full setup but it seemed pretty effective.

My only worry about the entire thing is when there is snow on the ground what will happen as that inner raised section is needed by trucks (evidenced by the semi that went through ahead of us), but its going to take some care and attention from the plow operators to keep it clear without destroying it or doing what they do in Crowfoot and just plow to the edge of the raised ring and leave it with the pile of snow on top.

Ramsayfarian
May 2, 2010, 7:03 PM
Overall it seems like the concrete curbs work to get everyone going the right way. Didn't pay too much attention to the full setup but it seemed pretty effective.

My only worry about the entire thing is when there is snow on the ground what will happen as that inner raised section is needed by trucks (evidenced by the semi that went through ahead of us), but its going to take some care and attention from the plow operators to keep it clear without destroying it or doing what they do in Crowfoot and just plow to the edge of the raised ring and leave it with the pile of snow on top.

I never considered large trucks, that's exactly what that inner raised section is for. Thanks for clearing that up.

Mazrim
May 3, 2010, 2:53 PM
I never really did understand how by narrowing the road helps any.
Theoretically it's supposed to slow down traffic, whether you notice it or not. It gets in your "bubble" so to speak. The more wide open the road, the faster you drive. For example, see Glenmore/Sarcee between Crowchild and Bow Trail. People have a ton of trouble going the speed limit for some reason...hmm.

Also, if there's a crosswalk there, it's less road they have to cross, which means less chances to get hit by someone.

frinkprof
May 3, 2010, 9:05 PM
Nevermind.

Mazrim
May 3, 2010, 9:26 PM
^Have the Royal Oak Folk been talking about bulb-outs this whole time?
That was my impression, but I just looked at Street View and saw that the road narrows for the length of a playground zone, and it's not a bulb out situation like you might see on 24th Ave between Crowchild and 14th Street. Regardless, the calming effect is similar or the same.

shevallo
May 3, 2010, 9:39 PM
This is getting spooky.

freeweed
May 3, 2010, 9:40 PM
^Have the Royal Oak Folk been talking about bulb-outs this whole time? If they are visible in Google Maps, could someone provide a link? If not, which intersection are we talking about? I can then check them out if I'm ever in Royal Oak trying to find a house on Royal Birch Lane Close Point Drive Crescent Circle.

I'm not sure as the only ones that really annoy me are the ones in Varsity. Those are NIMBY to the max.

PS: you missed Bay, Way, Blvd, Road, Street, Avenue, Gardens, Link... actually I don't believe we have any streets or avenues in the 'burbs, other than the old numbered remnants.

freeweed
May 3, 2010, 9:41 PM

Anyone else noticing the irony (or more correctly, the appropriateness) of the roads thread being overwhelmed by suburbanites? :haha:

Calgarian
May 3, 2010, 11:30 PM

I tried to go through there yesterday and noticed it was still closed, I agree it doesn't look like it will be coming back. I'll have to use that retarted traffic circle now, or just 42nd to get from MacLeod to Blackfoot.

SmokWawelski
May 4, 2010, 3:43 AM
^Have the Royal Oak Folk been talking about bulb-outs this whole time? If they are visible in Google Maps, could someone provide a link? If not, which intersection are we talking about? I can then check them out if I'm ever in Royal Oak trying to find a house on Royal Birch Lane Close Point Drive Crescent Circle.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

They are not on google maps as they were added as part of the Rocky Ridge Closure, so quite recently. They are along the stretch of the field on both sides of Royal Oak Drive. The large field provides for lots of drifting snow right onto the drive itself, plus the stretch of road northbound is steep uphill, so come snow storm, it becomes a perfect mess.

Come buy a house and experience great city of Calgary planning department at it's best;)

I guess there is no budget for snow fences along that field either :(

devonb
May 4, 2010, 3:45 AM
I tried to go through there yesterday and noticed it was still closed, I agree it doesn't look like it will be coming back. I'll have to use that retarted traffic circle now, or just 42nd to get from MacLeod to Blackfoot.

The road was being taken out today. I prefer the traffic circle as it's much faster for me.

frinkprof
May 4, 2010, 4:14 AM
Nevermind.

You Need A Thneed
May 4, 2010, 4:23 AM
Deerfoot Trail southbound is down to two lanes and a 50 km/h speed limit over the calf robe bridge for the next few months.

Traffic was slow and backed up all the way to McKnight this morning just before 9 am.

mersar
May 4, 2010, 5:16 AM
Yep. Global had a nice rundown on some of the roads projects this summer including the multiple projects on Deerfoot (resurfacing the ogden overpass, repaving both NB and SB from Anderson to 17, and SB from Stoney to McKnight), 37th Street interchange, WLRT, 96th Ave extension, Metis Trail extension (starting next month from 80th to 96th ave), building 96th ave from 60th to Stoney and I think I missed one or two

Bigtime
May 4, 2010, 1:15 PM
I've now cut Deerfoot south from my commute home due to the lane closure on the Ogden flyover.

Back to my super secret backup route that takes me past the Elks Club, Winston Heights, Renfrew and finally Edmonton trail to the East Village to grab 9th ave to 12th avenue.

Yay!

freeweed
May 4, 2010, 3:24 PM
Deerfoot Trail southbound is down to two lanes and a 50 km/h speed limit over the calf robe bridge for the next few months.

Traffic was slow and backed up all the way to McKnight this morning just before 9 am.

I thought it was 80 (that's what the news reported, anyway). Still slow and only 2 lanes so it'll back up constantly.

They really should have waited until the SE Ring Road was done before doing this major work on Deerfoot. That would alleviate a large chunk of the traffic.

hulkrogan
May 4, 2010, 3:24 PM
I've now cut Deerfoot south from my commute home due to the lane closure on the Ogden flyover.

Back to my super secret backup route that takes me past the Elks Club, Winston Heights, Renfrew and finally Edmonton trail to the East Village to grab 9th ave to 12th avenue.

Yay!

You'd better not be cutting through 1st/2nd ave! :pissed: :wah: :babyeat: ;)

Bigtime
May 4, 2010, 3:41 PM
You'd better not be cutting through 1st/2nd ave! :pissed: :wah: :babyeat: ;)

Nope, they always back up anyways. Used to frustrate the hell out of me when I lived in The Bridges. I take 8th ave right over to Edmonton trail and head down from there.

I'm also one of those commuters that still respects the speed limits when using more residential routings like this one!

You Need A Thneed
May 4, 2010, 3:54 PM
I thought it was 80 (that's what the news reported, anyway). Still slow and only 2 lanes so it'll back up constantly.

They really should have waited until the SE Ring Road was done before doing this major work on Deerfoot. That would alleviate a large chunk of the traffic.

It was definitely 50 when I drove through that section yesterday morning. You wouldn't want to drive through those narrow lanes at 80, so I'm pretty sure its going to be posted at 50 for the whole duration of construction.

O-tacular
May 4, 2010, 4:26 PM
I love the Headline of the Sun today: GRRRRRRRR!

hulkrogan
May 4, 2010, 4:36 PM
Nope, they always back up anyways. Used to frustrate the hell out of me when I lived in The Bridges. I take 8th ave right over to Edmonton trail and head down from there.

I'm also one of those commuters that still respects the speed limits when using more residential routings like this one!

I'm kind of glad traffic on 1st ave gets pretty horrific in rush hour as it keeps things nice and slow. The people that cut around on 2nd/3rd/4th seem to keep a decently slow pace with the narrow roads and stop signs too so it's not so bad.

mersar
May 4, 2010, 5:26 PM
It was definitely 50 when I drove through that section yesterday morning. You wouldn't want to drive through those narrow lanes at 80, so I'm pretty sure its going to be posted at 50 for the whole duration of construction.

The 80 was for the barrier replacement work south of there, when I went through on Sunday it was only Anderson to Southland that was still at 80.

freeweed
May 4, 2010, 5:43 PM

Yikes. Count Deerfoot out as a serious driving route for the summer, unless it's after 9pm or so.

devonb
May 4, 2010, 5:44 PM
My common route is to go use Blackfoot, to Highland Rd, then zip into Inglewood and head down 9 ave to the East Village, into Chinatown, then up Centre. Takes an extra 10 minutes than Deerfoot usually, but it guarantees me against being stuck in traffic. Though there are trains....

It's now my route to and from work with Deerfoot being under construction.

mersar
May 7, 2010, 2:12 PM
Seton Blvd/Cranston Ave @ Deerfoot bridge twinning
http://compscience.info/public/images/2010/setonblvd-may2-1.jpg

The girders are probably up by now, this was taken last sunday

BP_Brandon
May 10, 2010, 1:45 PM
Travelling to work this morning down Crowchild Trail there is a sign saying something about traffic signal timing changes starting May 12. Anyone know anything about this?

mersar
May 10, 2010, 2:05 PM
Travelling to work this morning down Crowchild Trail there is a sign saying something about traffic signal timing changes starting May 12. Anyone know anything about this?

Where about on Crowchild? Kensington/5th area or Stoney area?

BP_Brandon
May 10, 2010, 3:43 PM
:previous: Doh ! important detail yes.... It was just before 24th ave going south bound......

freeweed
May 10, 2010, 3:48 PM
Where about on Crowchild? Kensington/5th area or Stoney area?

I think it's pretty awesome that you can narrow this down to 2 points, on a 20km stretch of road that was never really designed to be a freeway.

shevallo
May 10, 2010, 7:39 PM
:previous: Doh ! important detail yes.... It was just before 24th ave going south bound......

The signed said to call 311 for details, which I did. Of course, they had no idea what was going on, but took my info and said someone would call me. It's nice that they put up the sign saying to call 311 but didn't inform them what the timing changes were. :koko:

mersar
May 10, 2010, 8:14 PM
The signed said to call 311 for details, which I did. Of course, they had no idea what was going on, but took my info and said someone would call me. It's nice that they put up the sign saying to call 311 but didn't inform them what the timing changes were. :koko:

Yeah. I threw the question to the city's twitter account as they've usually been quite helpful, will see if I get a response. I suspect they may be finally doing something to account for the huge traffic volumes on eastbound 24th that try to turn to north bound Crowchild, which normally at this time of year would be a lot less then Sept-April, except for Campus Drive is closed so its probably been affecting the route 20 which goes through there as the detour, and I've seen get stuck 4-5 lights at least once last week.

frinkprof
May 10, 2010, 8:23 PM
Nevermind.

kw5150
May 11, 2010, 7:16 PM
Has anyone noticed that a lot of people drive really fast down 17 ave sw? It is destroying the pedestrian environment. There are also noise violations happening all the time that make you jump out of your socks..... AKA a Harly Davidson reving the engine or gunning it past you. This behavior must stop if we wnat 17th ave to evolve.

The Red Mile has become full of litter and some of the buildings have not been maintained and appear quite trashy. I dont want everything to be perfectly clean but, lets save this awesome sunny resource called 17th before it goes downhill any further!

17th could use some traffic calming and wider sidewalks in some places. They should bump out the sidewalks wherever they become too narrow and introduce seating and planters. Many people try to "walk through you" as and expect you to move these days and it is no longer a friendly environment. When did 17th change so much?

By the way, Im going there this weekend. I expect to be scared by a harley at least once! lol Smarten up Calgary!

mersar
May 11, 2010, 8:44 PM
The city put out a news release this morning announcing some more bridge repairs that involve closures and restrictions that all start up over the next few weeks:
Portland Street Bridge (over Blackfoot Trail in the southeast industrial area)
Graves Bridge (the older, eastbound bridge over the Bow River near the community of Ogden)
Marquis of Lorne Trail / 22X Bridge (eastbound bridge over the Bow River)
25 Avenue Bridge (over the Elbow River just west of Macleod Trail)Source (http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgary/road-closures-and-lane-restrictions-158404.aspx?link_page_rss=158404)

The Graves bridge one is already underway, they started on it last fall after the new westbound Graves bridge opened.

Bassic Lab
May 12, 2010, 2:35 AM
Has anyone noticed that a lot of people drive really fast down 17 ave sw? It is destroying the pedestrian environment. There are also noise violations happening all the time that make you jump out of your socks..... AKA a Harly Davidson reving the engine or gunning it past you. This behavior must stop if we wnat 17th ave to evolve.

The Red Mile has become full of litter and some of the buildings have not been maintained and appear quite trashy. I dont want everything to be perfectly clean but, lets save this awesome sunny resource called 17th before it goes downhill any further!

17th could use some traffic calming and wider sidewalks in some places. They should bump out the sidewalks wherever they become too narrow and introduce seating and planters. Many people try to "walk through you" as and expect you to move these days and it is no longer a friendly environment. When did 17th change so much?

By the way, Im going there this weekend. I expect to be scared by a harley at least once! lol Smarten up Calgary!

Further downhill? If any thing the place has really gentrified over the last fifteen years. It used to be more exclusively countercultural in focus. Today the crowds are bigger, more affluent, and far less likely to terrify the minivan and stroller crowd. Go back even further and there was a porn theatre just down 4th Street. People today would be shocked by the kind of urban grit that used to exist in this city.

jeffwhit
May 12, 2010, 4:30 AM
People have very short memories...

If you still have a VCR go to Casablanca and rent Gary Burns' The Suburbanators from 1995- I bet most of you won't even believe what 17th looked like.

kw5150
May 12, 2010, 4:31 PM
Further downhill? If any thing the place has really gentrified over the last fifteen years. It used to be more exclusively countercultural in focus. Today the crowds are bigger, more affluent, and far less likely to terrify the minivan and stroller crowd. Go back even further and there was a porn theatre just down 4th Street. People today would be shocked by the kind of urban grit that used to exist in this city.

That actually made me feel better! Thanks.

I just get annoyed when a Harley driver revs the engine REALLY LOUD on 17th where people are trying to enjoy their day......and the speeding cars blow by you. This type of activity does lower the quality of the pedestrain environment!

I received a speeding ticket on airport trail going 20 over. It is pretty much a divided highway!! How can people get away with going 70 down 17th? It just psses me off. Maybe it has something to do with bow trail being closed? I have no idea.

Bigtime
May 12, 2010, 4:37 PM
I received a speeding ticket on airport trail going 20 over. It is pretty much a divided highway!! How can people get away with going 70 down 17th? It just psses me off. Maybe it has something to do with bow trail being closed? I have no idea.

The cops have been all over Airport trail for the last few months. Were you going westbound or eastbound? I've made a point to hold the limit there since I've seen them around so much.

freeweed
May 12, 2010, 4:53 PM
We used to have noise laws that prevented asshats from blasting their Harleys at 130db. Sadly I haven't heard of them being enforced for years.

frinkprof
May 12, 2010, 4:55 PM
Nevermind.

frinkprof
May 12, 2010, 4:57 PM
Nevermind.

freeweed
May 12, 2010, 5:25 PM
Pardon?

Awkwardly-worded pun intended. ;)

DizzyEdge
May 12, 2010, 5:30 PM
That actually made me feel better! Thanks.

I just get annoyed when a Harley driver revs the engine REALLY LOUD on 17th where people are trying to enjoy their day......and the speeding cars blow by you. This type of activity does lower the quality of the pedestrain environment!

Converting gasoline to noise is really all Harleys do well though, maybe we should give them a break.

kw5150
May 12, 2010, 10:43 PM
Converting gasoline to noise is really all Harleys do well though, maybe we should give them a break.

yes, I agree, we should break their legs!

I actually dont mind them as long as they dont make me shart in my pants as they go by. I have heard rumours about the owners of melrose and the reason behind why there are so many harleys.......... I say bring back the anti-noise laws!!!

Me&You
May 12, 2010, 11:46 PM
People have very short memories...

If you still have a VCR go to Casablanca and rent Gary Burns' The Suburbanators from 1995- I bet most of you won't even believe what 17th looked like.

BTW (OT warning) - Casablanca in Marda Loop has a sign in the window saying something along the lines of "coming soon: pet food store".

Now I've never been to Casablanca, but still, WTF?

Ramsayfarian
May 13, 2010, 12:24 AM
We used to have noise laws that prevented asshats from blasting their Harleys at 130db. Sadly I haven't heard of them being enforced for years.

Speaking of asshats and noise, on my way to work this morning I an asshat in what might of been a Rav, rocking his stereo so loud it was making my truck vibrate. When I looked over to give him the "you're a tard look" I noticed he was wearing earplugs. Luckily I caught his eye, so I up graded the "you're a tard look" to the international sign for f-off loser.

freeweed
May 13, 2010, 1:48 AM
Speaking of asshats and noise, on my way to work this morning I an asshat in what might of been a Rav, rocking his stereo so loud it was making my truck vibrate. When I looked over to give him the "you're a tard look" I noticed he was wearing earplugs. Luckily I caught his eye, so I up graded the "you're a tard look" to the international sign for f-off loser.

EARPLUGS??? Like the kind you wear to protect your hearing??? I just want to make absolutely sure I'm reading this correctly, and you don't mean earbuds or something.

Wow. I'm not a fan of eugenics, but in this case I'd make an exception. That dude is worse than Hitler.

Ramsayfarian
May 13, 2010, 3:08 AM
EARPLUGS??? Like the kind you wear to protect your hearing??? I just want to make absolutely sure I'm reading this correctly, and you don't mean earbuds or something.

Wow. I'm not a fan of eugenics, but in this case I'd make an exception. That dude is worse than Hitler.

Earplugs as in hearing protection. You know, the spongy plugs one sticks in their ears when exposed to loud sounds.

This was like 7:45 in the morning and this guy got a party in his compact SUV. Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

I'm not a fan of loud pipes either , but at least when the Chromosexuals fly past me, I don't get that sound stuck in my head for hours. Plenty of those guys wear ear protection as well.

frinkprof
May 14, 2010, 1:36 PM
Nevermind.

BP_Brandon
May 14, 2010, 3:04 PM
:previous: Just curious does anybody know the details about how big this tunnel is to be? (Length, Width) I believe the new Olympic Way underpass (two lanes and a bike/pedestrian path) going under 11 CPR Tracks (Mainline and Yard) and must be built to withstand 14,000 Ton Grain/Potash Trains and it is not costing no 900 million.

Also, wouldn’t it be smart to conduct some sort of pre-work to this site before the runway/taxi lanes are built. I.E. dig a trench, insert concrete box, cover over. I know I have over simplified this as I imagine there is serious engineering required for going under a runway, but sheesh $900M. I work for the CPR (23 + Years) and we built a 10 mile long tunnel (Roger Pass Project) under a mountain for around 500M (80’s dollars mind you).

Mazrim
May 14, 2010, 3:52 PM
:previous: Just curious does anybody know the details about how big this tunnel is to be? (Length, Width)

Also, wouldn’t it be smart to conduct some sort of pre-work to this site before the runway/taxi lanes are built. I.E. dig a trench, insert concrete box, cover over. I know I have over simplified this as I imagine there is serious engineering required for going under a runway, but sheesh $900M. I work for the CPR (23 + Years) and we built a 10 mile long tunnel (Roger Pass Project) under a mountain for around 500M (80’s dollars mind you).

Airport Trail's ultimate design was 8 or 10 lanes, i can't remember which. So you're looking at a 40 or 50m wide tunnel. The runway is roughly 500m wide where Airport Trail crosses it, so you'd need about 750m of tunnel. Yeah, it would be expensive.

Also, keep in mind the tunnel section is the expensive part of the job. If they were to dig the trench, insert a concrete box, and cover, that would be it! They would just build out Airport Trail at that point since paving a road is cheap in comparison.

The Chemist
May 15, 2010, 1:19 AM
If the city is going to spend nearly $1 billion on a tunnel, there's no doubt in my mind that it should be the downtown subway, NOT the Airport Trail tunnel.

freeweed
May 15, 2010, 5:14 AM
Yeah, at that price the tunnel is stupidly expensive. Sorry NE, but you can drive 5 extra minutes to save the city $1000 for every single taxpayer (likely a lot more after inflation kicks in in 15-20 years).

This of course is why it should be built now. Imagine a 200% return on your investments in only a decade.

jeffwhit
May 15, 2010, 5:49 AM
If the city is going to spend nearly $1 billion on a tunnel, there's no doubt in my mind that it should be the downtown subway, NOT the Airport Trail tunnel.
Agreed.