PDA

View Full Version : Westboro Connection | Completed

Pages : [1] 2

waterloowarrior
May 1, 2009, 1:28 AM
http://www.westborocollection.com/

The Open House panels (http://www.westborocollection.com/pdf/wc-panels.pdf) are now up
http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/westboro_collection1.jpghttp://wwuploads.googlepages.com/westboro_collection2.jpg

waterloowarrior
May 1, 2009, 1:51 AM
interesting... they posted the comments they got from the community (http://www.westborocollection.com/pdf/wc-community-comments.pdf) online

Dado
May 1, 2009, 2:17 AM
:previous:

I was reading those as well.

I like the comment about the tower rising up elegantly in a terrace and then sprouting an incongruous stack. That's pretty much what I thought too. I'm 99% sure that those last 3-5 stories will end up getting knocked off. I've got no opposition to 16 storeys at that site but it just doesn't look right.

I was at that meeting; my comments aren't there because I never submitted any written comments, just oral comments to some of the representatives. There were a fair number of people present who didn't live on Clifton who, like me, by and large support the project and therefore didn't leave comments.

One of the comments I suggested was to create a square (i.e. not to grass the entire place up) that could be used for outdoor markets and the like. I also like the idea of relocating the hydro corridor to pole-style towers in a median. I hadn't thought of the concern of people on Clifton of people parking on Clifton and using the pedestrian path. Clifton is unfortunately being used as an extension of Kirkwood to get to Island Park/Champlain Bridge, the Metropole as well as to the infill to the east (which has no road access from Kirkwood to prevent the same thing from happening). They're going to have to put some traffic calming measures in to divert motorists to McRae I think.

Suzie
May 1, 2009, 9:01 PM
Wow! I’ve been waiting a long time for the redevelopment of those decrepit properties and parking lots on McRae. It’s going to make a huge difference, and hopefully kick start further development on Scott and north of the Westboro Transitway Station. And you have to give these guys high marks for transparency.

I’m happy to see options for the street itself since McRae is currently a mess, particularly during weekends when there are parked cars on both sides of the street and not enough space for two-way traffic. I’ve seen bus drivers just give up and go down Athlone instead in order to reach the Westboro Transitway Station. If they are going to restrict access to Clifton, McRae will see even more traffic so it needs to be fixed.

In an ideal world, the hydro lines would be buried. However, I certainly could live with the three options they presented.

I’d be interested in knowing how Bushtukha and Trailhead feel about this proposal. It looks like they would lose some parking spaces, although in the case of Trailhead this could be mitigated somewhat by more on-street parking on Scott. I don’t think they’ll regard underground parking as a perfect substitute.

Ken Gray noted that the 16-storey tower could aggravate the wind problem on Scott Street that the Metropole creates. On some days, the wind is brutal for people trying to reach the Westboro Transitway Station from the East.

Some of the comments do not surprise me. When I attended a meeting on what is now known as the 101 Richmond project, there was lot of resentment expressed against condos in particular. Some people regard them as little better than crack houses.

Mille Sabords
May 2, 2009, 2:27 AM
Some of the comments do not surprise me. When I attended a meeting on what is now known as the 101 Richmond project, there was lot of resentment expressed against condos in particular. Some people regard them as little better than crack houses.

What a surreal observation! One day we'll be able to laugh at all of this... Evidently, they don't have the same idea of a "condo" as those who have known and seen the elegant Victorian or Haussmannian apartments of old London and Paris. Ain't no riff-raff livin' there.

waterloowarrior
May 2, 2009, 2:30 AM
I heard a story where residents opposed new condos in the neighbourhood for fear of crime, property values, etc...then were told the condos would be selling for more money than their single family homes :D

edit: might have been from the forum meet, I can't remember exactly.

Dado
May 2, 2009, 2:43 AM
Oh yes, one of the other things that I suggested was that they suggest to the City that when Westboro Station is extended for LRT that it be extended entirely to the east. One of the plans (by the City I believe) is to put in a pedestrian overpass opposite McRae across at that utility bridge just east of the station (Suzie - you probably know what I'm referring to) to connect into the path alongside the Metropole. By shifting the centre of the station eastwards more people would be coming to grade opposite McRae rather than heading up Tweedsmuir or Athlone as at present.

As for the hydro poles, this to me should be seen as an opportunity. There aren't going to be many of them - probably three. The poles are relatively clean looking and their lower reaches can be used for draping things like flags/banners and special lamp standards. The issue, as always, is coordinating that kind of thing.

highdensitysprawl
May 2, 2009, 7:11 PM
When I attended a meeting on what is now known as the 101 Richmond project, there was lot of resentment expressed against condos in particular. Some people regard them as little better than crack houses.

A condominium is merely a form of ownership. However, the word 'condo' has come to mean, in many peoples minds, a large ap't bldg often built in an area of SFR's or it has come to mean a bldg with 'yuppies' etc, who don't understand the way life has gone on in the neighbourhood since the beginning of time and they won't blend in.

Also condos are responsible for all property values going down, taxes going up and noise, pollution, vagrancy, teenagers hanging out, drugs, prostitution and traffic. :tup:

Mille Sabords
May 3, 2009, 12:17 AM
Also condos are responsible for all property values going down, taxes going up and noise, pollution, vagrancy, teenagers hanging out, drugs, prostitution and traffic. :tup:

Funny, in actual fact, the "teens hanging out" phenomenon is much more "visible" in environments that are all single-family or ground-oriented homes. Aylmer was known (still is?) for its bush parties, parents despaired about them, but no matter how many task forces, outreach programs, speeches and whatever else was tried, daily life was always there the next morning: there's not much to do, downtown is far, and the buses don't run often. That's why they convinced a businessman to open a cinema in Aylmer.

As if, by the way, the idea of "teens hanging out" should be something to frown upon. What could be more normal and healthy than having and making friends! People who are threatened by tenneagers having fun need to get a life. Not all fun is equally healthy, of course, and parenting plays a role is setting those parameters, but fun itself can never be taken away from teens. They have plenty of time for seriousness later.

Karlis
May 20, 2009, 4:44 PM
Hello Skyscraper-ites,

Traffic and safety are huge issues for myself and the other residents of Clifton Road, especially considering the number of young children on the street and the lack of sidewalks.

We hope that with this development, the city will recognize the urgent need to address the traffic stresses we are currently facing.

Karlis

Mille Sabords
May 20, 2009, 4:57 PM
Hello Skyscraper-ites,

Traffic and safety are huge issues for myself and the other residents of Clifton Road, especially considering the number of young children on the street and the lack of sidewalks.

We hope that with this development, the city will recognize the urgent need to address the traffic stresses we are currently facing.

Karlis

Hello Karlis, welcome to the Forum, here's hoping you post your views and opinions, and pictures, as often as possible.

On Westboro Collection. Would you say that the proper approach would be to provide wide sidewalks and allow for continuous on-street parking, to ensure a buffer of parked vehicles between children on the sidewalk and moving traffic on the street?

Richard Eade
May 22, 2009, 2:36 PM
Hello Karlis, welcome to the Forum, here's hoping you post your views and opinions, and pictures, as often as possible.

On Westboro Collection. Would you say that the proper approach would be to provide wide sidewalks and allow for continuous on-street parking, to ensure a buffer of parked vehicles between children on the sidewalk and moving traffic on the street?
Objection: Leading question:order:

Wouldn't you say that a narrow street with widened, treed sidewalks and bulb-outs and parking alternating on the two sides of a meandering cobble street would be your preference because it would dissuade all but local vehicles from accessing the street and thus provide a safer environment for the children?

Actually, I have never thought that a long row of parked cars and children made a particularly safe combination. I would much rather see the parked cars broken into short groups by bulb-outs since it gives kids a better place to cross, and better visibility to drivers.

Suzie
May 22, 2009, 3:26 PM

As Dado noted, the basic issue is that many people use Clifton to travel between Kirkwood and Scott Street. So there is steady traffic on a residential street. Although I use Clifton mainly for walking, I admit that I do drive on it on occasions because McRae and Island Park Drive can be congested. Whenever I do so, I try to limit my speed in order to respect those who live there. However, there are always people who don’t care and thus speed, despite the narrowing of the street to one lane in places due to weird-looking bulb-outs.

Sidewalks would definitely help improve safety for pedestrians (there are currently no sidewalks on Clifton between Wilber and Scott and the sidewalk between Wilber and Richmond is crappy). However, it would not reduce the level of traffic, which some would argue is too high for a residential street. Children like to wander onto the street so there would still be a safety issue.

I am in favour of the Westboro Collection project and don’t share some of the concerns that have been voiced by the residents of Clifton. This being said, I do agree that something needs to be done about the traffic on that street. This should be done in parallel with improvements to McRae and its intersections with Richmond and Scott in order to make it a better alternative.

Radster
May 22, 2009, 5:31 PM
That is very laughable IMO. The Metropole across the street is way higher, and like the Metropole, this proposed 16 storey building will be to the north of the homes owned by those who feel they will be most affected, meaning that it will not block sunlight, unlike what some of those NIMBYs are crying about. Also, 16 storeys is not high, plus it is a terraced building, so it won't be a big box-like tower.
These NIMBY comments linked above are so typical of Ottawa, but I was happy to see many comments were overall supportive of this project.

Mille Sabords
May 23, 2009, 2:24 AM
Objection: Leading question:order:

Wouldn't you say that a narrow street with widened, treed sidewalks and bulb-outs and parking alternating on the two sides of a meandering cobble street would be your preference because it would dissuade all but local vehicles from accessing the street and thus provide a safer environment for the children?

Actually, I have never thought that a long row of parked cars and children made a particularly safe combination. I would much rather see the parked cars broken into short groups by bulb-outs since it gives kids a better place to cross, and better visibility to drivers.

Leading question or not, it didn't stop you from expressing your view. Bulbouts are OK for crossing, I agree, but be mindful that "better visibility for drivers" only encourages speed.

m0nkyman
May 23, 2009, 6:53 AM
Angled parking is much better at calming traffic than parallel parking. Especially when on a cobbled street like Richard was suggesting.

Kitchissippi
May 23, 2009, 12:33 PM
Bulbouts are OK for crossing, I agree, but be mindful that "better visibility for drivers" only encourages speed.

I think what was meant was "daylighting" a crosswalk (http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/daylighting-make-your-crosswalks-safer/), which is really more visibility for the pedestrian as well.

Richard Eade
May 24, 2009, 5:34 PM
Leading question or not, it didn't stop you from expressing your view. Bulbouts are OK for crossing, I agree, but be mindful that "better visibility for drivers" only encourages speed.
Sorry, I was just jesting. I have been hearing too much about political trials and inquests lately and I got caught up in the moment.

Yes, I did add my opinion though. If this is to be a purely residential street, then it could have so-called 'traffic calming' measures implemented. Notice that I said before that it was a "meandering cobble" street so the sight lines are not that long. For example:

http://REade.fileave.com/Misc/Calmed-1-way-Street.jpg

shows a single-direction street with angle parking and bulb-outs. The bulb-outs are before the parking so that the drivers and pedestrians have the best chance of seeing each other. The driver is forced to adjust course frequently enough that no speed is built up.

I suggest single-direction because I think it is probably safer.

As I said, I think that this type of thing can be implemented in purely residential areas, but those areas must be properly serviced by larger roads which actually handle the traffic loads; that is, the neighbourhoods will be separated by arterial roads with higher speeds.

Traffic calming, as put forth by groups like CART (Citizens Advocating Responsible Transportation) are nice ideas, but I fear that they are best applied to smaller areas. People want choices and have mobility, via their car, to get to those choices. It is all very nice to say that each neighbourhood will have a pub, laundromat, and convenience store so people don't need a car; however, once you start adding other amenities, the area would get so crowded with libraries, pizzarias, fine restaurants, Walmarts, schools, churches, community centres, McDonalds, offices, etc., that there would be little room left for the residences.

Then there is the question of whether the local neighbourhood can support the facilities which would need to be present in each area? Walmarts and Catholic Churches are not neighbourhood based and are built large to draw people in from a wide area. Gone are the days when people would walk 2 miles to go to church.

And are people willing to spend more on all of their purchases? A mom & pop corner shop certainly can't get the same discounts from the manufacturer as Best Buy can. I know I'm willing and able to travel 10Km in my car to save $400 on a new LCD TV.

What about when you hear that the new chip-wagon in the east-end makes the best Poutine and you live near the one in the west-end that uses grated cheese instead of fresh, never refrigerated, cheese curds. Cruds so fresh that the squeeking is almost deafening if you eat them alone, without the muting effect of the rich, thick gravey. Are you willing to drive to the east-end for better Poutine?

Traffic calming has some applications, but so do big roads, and I think the City's Planners need to realize that. Installing disincentives to car travel along Lyon in the name of traffic calming is silly: If the City created, admittedly at great cost, main roads to connect things, then most traffic would stay on those big roads and the smaller roads would benefit. Look at the number of cars that the Queensway carries; if they were forced off of the 417, that traffic would distribute across many a local street as the drivers try to find 'a better way home'. (Of course, they could always take the train - Oh, wait, Ottawa doesn't have a train yet. And when we do get one, it won't go out to the suburbs.)

OK, I'll come down off my soap-box now.

Mille Sabords
May 24, 2009, 6:16 PM
:previous: Nice! That's a good model, actually. It can easily be adapted to 2-way streets. I see what you mean.

waterloowarrior
May 24, 2009, 7:18 PM

waterloowarrior
May 24, 2009, 8:54 PM
I played around with the layout a bit.... this is adding a two-way bikeway. It would be a great north-south connection, the trick would be to find a smooth way to go through RCCS to connect with Byron (for southbound traffic)

http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/mcrae_small.jpg

In the bike routes section of the presentation they show a bike route in what looks to be the 'greenway' area, so they might already be proposing something like this, I'm not really sure.

here are three options proposed by the architect

http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/mcrae_streetscape.jpg

Kitchissippi
May 24, 2009, 11:35 PM
I think what would be really cool is if the greenway was landscaped to mimic a rugged "outdoorsy" terrain, with lots of rocks and native plants, kind of like a piece of the Canadian Shield. Since Bushtukah and Trailhead are at either end of the street, it could become a good place to test out hiking boots or mountain bikes :)

Teardrop Park (http://www.verdesian.com/life/teardrop.asp) in Manhattan is a kids playground that has this kind of feel:
http://www.verdesian.com/life/teardrop_large.jpg from verdesian.com

http://tulloch.rutgers.edu/PlacePix/TearDropWall.jpg

http://archives.asla.org/lamag/lam07/February/images/TeardropLAMFeb07.gif

One detail that some people miss on this street is how the hydro pole in front of Trailhead is a custom design that matches with the building.

m0nkyman
May 25, 2009, 3:07 AM
^^^ Victoria's Broad St has done pretty much as described, and it works like a hot-damn.

rocketphish
Jun 2, 2009, 4:32 PM
The development application documents have now been posted on the City's website:

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__7NX8LE

Here's the official siteplan proposal:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3404/3589687110_610b53bdec_o.jpg

waterloowarrior
Jun 16, 2009, 4:13 AM
The Art of the Westboro Collection Compromise
http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/bulldog/archive/2009/06/16/the-art-of-the-westboro-collection-compromise.aspx
By KENNETH_GRAY 06-16-2009 COMMENTS(0) THE BULLDOG

Filed under: Westboro, City of Ottawa, Westboro Collection, Christine Leadman

The Westboro Collection will be one of the defining developments within the urban boundary.

Two forces are at play with this project. First, the city wants height near Transitway stations so that as many people as possible can live within walking distance of bus rapid transit. Second, part of the project borders on residential areas where you don't want to go above six storeys because you begin to get problems like blocking daylight for single-family dwellings, a lack of privacy for homeowners, and wind-tunnel effects from tall buildings.

Futhermore, tall buildings take away the village atmosphere of the area (one of its selling points), though much of that has been lost already with block after block of trendy businesses and tall structures replacing traditional enterprises. Useful neighbourhood businesses such as food stores have been usurped by destination retail where people drive for miles around to find very specific merchandise.

Kitchissippi Councillor Christine Leadman, who represents the area, says McRae Avenue isn't much of a street now so the low-rise buildings planned in the Westboro Collection are fine there. But the 16-storey building at McRae and Scott Street near the Westboro Transitway station is too high and too near residential buildings. In fact, Leadman says some houses in the area have been put up for sale in anticipation of the project's construction.

Leadman would like to see the tower at between eight and 10 storeys. One of the problems she sees is that the consultant for the project, FoTenn, is using the nearby Metropole condo -- which she says most people in the community feel doesn't fit there at 32 storeys -- as a touchstone for its tower.

"The right thing to do is to meet with the community and find a compromise," Leadman said.

Karlis
Aug 25, 2009, 6:05 PM
Anyone aware of any activity on this development?

Thanks,
K

CondoGirl
Aug 25, 2009, 11:06 PM
Is it just me or is anyone else growing weary of this city's allergy to height in the downtown core while Centretown neighbourhoods are turned into monotonous corridors of the same generic 6-8 storey building clones...

CG

waterloowarrior
Aug 25, 2009, 11:13 PM
Anyone aware of any activity on this development?

Thanks,
K

The date of the public meeting has been postponed until after labour day at the request of the community.

http://lovewestboro.wordpress.com/2009/06/05/re-development-on-mcrae-avenue-update/#comment-510

Proof Sheet
Aug 27, 2009, 2:36 AM
The date of the public meeting has been postponed until after labour day at the request of the community.

http://lovewestboro.wordpress.com/2009/06/05/re-development-on-mcrae-avenue-update/#comment-510

I find this delaying matters until post labour day to be frustrating...if you live in the neighbourhood etc and have concerns, put them in writing, send a neighbour or speak with the planner/councillor etc before you go on vacation...but to hold a project ransom due to some vision that everybody is away in July and August is archaic in my mind.....

Live goes on and doesn't just stop due to nice weather.....

waterloowarrior
Aug 27, 2009, 2:40 AM
I find this delaying matters until post labour day to be frustrating...if you live in the neighbourhood etc and have concerns, put them in writing, send a neighbour or speak with the planner/councillor etc before you go on vacation...but to hold a project ransom due to some vision that everybody is away in July and August is archaic in my mind.....

Before you know it, it will be December and the City/developer will be accused of holding public meetings during the holiday season on purpose so no one shows up ;)

canadave
Aug 27, 2009, 12:20 PM
Is it just me or is anyone else growing weary of this city's allergy to height in the downtown core while Centretown neighbourhoods are turned into monotonous corridors of the same generic 6-8 storey building clones...

CG

Yeah, trust me... welcome to the club.

I think this is my first post in this thread, incidentally, so I'll also say I hope this goes forward. Looks like a quality project, and McRea could really use redevelopment.

Proof Sheet
Aug 27, 2009, 1:29 PM
Before you know it, it will be December and the City/developer will be accused of holding public meetings during the holiday season on purpose so no one shows up ;)

Don't forget the Thanksgiving/Remembrance Day/Family Day/Easter lead up and post holiday period that you can't have public meetings scheduled for and you also have to give all community groups and neighbours at least 2 months lead time from when reports are filed etc for them to review them and to provide their ancedotal (sp?) evidence.:banana:

Dado
Aug 27, 2009, 5:04 PM

It's not that everyone is away, but that some number might be. Putting stuff in writing and all the other suggestions just are not the same as showing up at a community meeting and talking with the developer's representatives in groups and being there in person to have stuff explained and just being involved.

It's also better for the developer because it goes a long way to removing the "facelessness" aspect. And of course some of the developer's own staff might be away too...

I'm sure that we in Westboro are fully aware of that. I mean I can't do anything without running into a construction project of some sort around here.

waterloowarrior
Sep 8, 2009, 4:33 AM
www.westborocollection.com has been updated... now featuring a Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/wcollection)

and news of the next Open House, scheduled for Monday September 14th, 6-9PM at the Embassy West on Carling
http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/westborocollection_meeting.jpg

waterloowarrior
Sep 20, 2009, 7:13 PM
Anyone go to the open house or hear about what was presented?

Suzie
Oct 12, 2009, 1:41 PM
Anyone go to the open house or hear about what was presented?

The revised proposal is reflected in the big PDF file on the website:
http://www.westborocollection.com/pdf/wc-panels.pdf

Basically, the height of the tower has been reduced from 16-storeys to 12-storeys. At the same time, the tower has become chunkier. It's the only meanginful change, as far as I can tell.

I don’t know what the reaction was, since I was not able to attend the open house and there was no summary in the community paper. However, 12-storeys remains higher than the existing buildings on the south side of Scott Street. As well, the parking entrance to the tower remains on Tweedsmuir Avenue and the walkway to Clifton Road is still there. Thus, continued opposition can be expected. This past summer, I saw a few properties on Clifton Road go up for sale.

I expect this whole area to change significantly over the next five years. For example, close by at 1946 Scott Street (sorry, I don’t know how to use Google Street View to give people a good picture), the owner of the small lot was seeking some minor variances to build a six-storey building. I don’t know if these were approved.

Skipper
Dec 5, 2009, 11:43 AM
hi everybody

does anyone have any information on the reactions to the revised plans? Is this going to city soon for approval?

Living in the area, it will be nice to see some nice new development on this street. Westboro and Wellington are experiencing significant construction. Living in Westboro, I think we have to brace ourselves up for an important tax hike considering the value of resale in the last year....

16 percent increase in value in Westboro, 10 percent in Highland Park

rakerman
Dec 5, 2009, 3:15 PM
The revised proposal is reflected in the big PDF file on the website:
http://www.westborocollection.com/pdf/wc-panels.pdf

someone needs to teach those guys how to assemble a proper panorama

rakerman
Dec 5, 2009, 3:21 PM
having skimmed the plan, it certainly has an interesting mix of concepts and I like the mixed use as well

Skipper
May 2, 2010, 2:32 PM
Does anybody know if there are any new developments on this project? One would expect they would like to hit the market prior to the Soeurs de la Visitation condos....

Ottawan
May 3, 2010, 12:06 AM
The former car lot (northwest corner of McCrae and Scott) has a large for lease sign on it, suggesting that it might be some time before there's any construction, at least on that portion of the development.

waterloowarrior
May 6, 2010, 5:25 PM
West Wellington CA April meeting minutes
http://blog.westwellington.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/WWCA-April-12-2010-Minutes.pdf

Pete reported on what he had heard from a neighbour of the proposed development on McRae Avenue near Loblaws. The neighbour had heard that the developer was becoming frustrated by the process and was thinking of selling. It was suggested that given the pro-active way the developer approached the community and the thoroughness of their plan the CA should write a letter to both the developer and to Christine Leadman’s office supporting the continuation of the process. Peter will draft a letter. (http://blog.westwellington.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/WWCA-Letter-re-proposed-McRae-devt-April-10.pdf)

Proof Sheet
May 6, 2010, 6:04 PM
West Wellington CA April meeting minutes
http://blog.westwellington.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/WWCA-April-12-2010-Minutes.pdf

Pete reported on what he had heard from a neighbour of the proposed development on McRae Avenue near Loblaws. The neighbour had heard that the developer was becoming frustrated by the process and was thinking of selling. It was suggested that given the pro-active way the developer approached the community and the thoroughness of their plan the CA should write a letter to both the developer and to Christine Leadman’s office supporting the continuation of the process. Peter will draft a letter. (http://blog.westwellington.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/WWCA-Letter-re-proposed-McRae-devt-April-10.pdf)

Thanks Waterloo Warrior for putting those meeting minutes up for all to see. The one thing I notice is that there are a number of vague comments in there based on heresay, conjecture and rumours which make a person question the validity or status of some of these community associations.

Dado
May 6, 2010, 6:52 PM
Thanks Waterloo Warrior for putting those meeting minutes up for all to see.

Umm, the minutes are on the CA's own website, which is pretty much "up for all to see" already...

The one thing I notice is that there are a number of vague comments in there based on heresay, conjecture and rumours which make a person question the validity or status of some of these community associations.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. The McRae Ave proposal? If so you should probably realize that McRae does not fall in the area covered by the West Wellington CA - which is why it was classed under "other business". They're actually proposing to "meddle" in another CA's (Westboro) bailiwick because they would prefer to see processes like the one the developers of McRae have initiated done more often.

kevinbottawa
Feb 19, 2011, 8:59 PM
Whatever happened to this project?

Dado
Feb 21, 2011, 5:08 AM
It's on hold:

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__7NX8LE

An aside to the moderators: the title of this thread is wrong. It's McRae, not McCrae.

kevinbottawa
Jan 16, 2012, 2:54 PM
Here's a comment by Bob-TheBuilder from the 175 Richmond Road thread:

Just FYI, the Westboro Collection on MeRae is not dead and is now in the hands of the Architect of many Richmond Rd. projects including Can-tire and the Claridge project on Richmond at Kirkwood. The two are being developed in concert so they traverse down Kirkwood, along through Clifton and Wilber through to McRae. It is being designed as one cohesive development. I think it is going to be great and the industrial properties will be replaced by pedestrian friendly residence's and shops. Too bad for the people on Wilber and Clifton but they bought in a hot area beside two dated industrial properties. They don't have to like it and probably won't, but what exactly did they think was going to happen?

bob-thebuilder
Jan 16, 2012, 11:06 PM
Here's a comment by Bob-TheBuilder from the 175 Richmond Road thread:

AGREED, and the NCC has to let the public use it.

McC
Jan 17, 2012, 11:39 AM
AGREED, and the NCC has to let the public use it.

Pardon me?

Dado
Dec 4, 2012, 3:45 PM
Looks like something might be in planning again for this site. The status of the application at the City (link in my previous post) is still on hold.

Btw, can someone with the power to do so please change the title of this thread to correct the spelling of McRae?

http://lovewestboro.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/community-meeting-on-alterna-mixed-use-building-319-mcrae/

"This came to us from the Councillor’s office:"

[not that I can find it on Councillor Hobbs' website: http://www.ourkitchissippi.ca ]

On behalf of Councillor Hobbs, you are invited to attend a community meeting regarding a proposal for 319 McRae Avenue. This is part of a land assembly previously proposed under the banner “Westboro Collection.” The proposal today is a portion of the land on the east side of McRae Avenue (backing on to Clifton Road residences). The proposal includes an office component (proposed future home of Alterna headquarters) and a residential building, targeted to be market rate rental apartments. The proposal would also include retail space at the ground level and one level of underground parking. It would also include streetscape improvements based on the Westboro/Richmond Road CDP for the Hydro corridor parallel to McRae.

No application has been made for the new proposal, this is a meeting very early in the application process. We hope to see you there to review the proposal, ask questions, and submit your feedback. Present will be the architect, planner and developer, as well as the Councillor and myself.

Where: Hilson Avenue Public School
When: Wednesday, December 5th, 2012, 7:00-9:00 PM

dommage
Dec 6, 2012, 2:29 PM
Ted Fobert (of Fotenn) started the presentation, introducing the developer representatives (Bridgeport Realty) and then handed things over to architect Rod Lahey.

The project is a single base with an office tower (~7 stories) and condominium tower (~8 stories). The developer wants to move fast as they have a client (Alterna bank) lined up for the office space. The building setbacks are all on the east side to try to appease the Clifton residents. The Hydro right-of-way makes things interesting on the McCrae side. The developer is proposing to run a service road on their side of the right-of-way and has (optimistically?) shown greenspace under the power lines.

There was significant opposition to a proposed pedestrian walkway running from the Clifton end of Wilbur through to McCrae from the Clifton residents. One referred to the dead-end as their 'park'.

I was tempted to comment that obviously they hadn't put much effort into the building design due to it being a 'pre-consultation'. I suspect however that they got what wanted from Mr 'Box' Lahey. The building itself will apparently be LEED Silver(-plus).

Councillor Hobbs was present. One (unrelated) note is that apparently a field house (perhaps like the one in Champlain or Brantwood parks) will be going in on Churchill (north).

I don't think Bridgeport is going to manage to appease the Clifton residents, though I have zero doubt that they'll prevail in the end.

Dado
Dec 6, 2012, 6:16 PM

Note that it is "McRae" (like the councillor), not "McCrae". I am going to keep pointing this out until the thread is retitled.

While I don't have much sympathy to the argument that Wilber should be left dead-ended/untouched permanently, I do think it is possible to at least partly appease the neighbours. If the pathway connection is offset to the south side of the RoW/dead end so it can tie into the sidewalks that will be built as part of the project on Kirkwood then the rest of the RoW can be formalized as a parkette. The property on the south side has its road access off Wilber, so the connection would have to be more like a woonerf but the dead end otherwise serves no other purpose and it is certainly true that there are no park spaces of any kind for residents in that area.

gjhall
Dec 6, 2012, 8:04 PM

Note that it is "McRae" (like the councillor), not "McCrae". I am going to keep pointing this out until the thread is retitled.

While I don't have much sympathy to the argument that Clifton should be left dead-ended/untouched permanently, I do think it is possible to at least partly appease the neighbours. If the pathway connection is offset to the south side of the RoW/dead end so it can tie into the sidewalks that will be built as part of the project on Kirkwood then the rest of the RoW can be formalized as a parkette. The property on the south side has its road access off Clifton, so the connection would have to be more like a woonerf but the dead end otherwise serves no other purpose and it is certainly true that there are no park spaces of any kind for residents in that area.

I actually went by today out of curiosity, and in fact the property on the south side has their garage access off Wilber, not Clifton. So that throws a wrench in the works of these good intentions.

Dado
Dec 6, 2012, 8:21 PM
I actually went by today out of curiosity, and in fact the property on the south side has their garage access off Wilber, not Clifton. So that throws a wrench in the works of these good intentions.

Ya, sorry, Wilber is what I meant.

That's why I came up with the woonerf idea rather than a basic pathway connection.

waterloowarrior
Apr 18, 2013, 12:33 PM
OPA http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__9JH9NR
zoning http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__9JH9ZJ
site plan http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__9JH9JH

McC
Apr 18, 2013, 2:22 PM
it's a little disappointing that they're no longer looking at the planning for the whole 'Collection' of properties, and just doing a site-specific one-off now.

Also very surprised to see no balconies on the northern (residential) building; in my interactions with Rod Lahey, he's usually been pretty big on the value of usable balconies on condos. Is this just about consistent look between the office and residential building? I suppose that it's an academic point, I'm not buying, and your mileage may vary.

kevinbottawa
Apr 18, 2013, 7:43 PM
I'm not really impressed with the design of these buildings, but looking at the floor plans, the retail space is huge. I'd like to see more developments include 2 floors of retail. I look forward to seeing who the tenants will be aside from the bank. Westboro seems like the ideal place for a Whole Foods, but this space would be too small unless they take up almost the whole thing.

brentgaulois
Apr 18, 2013, 8:42 PM
I'm not really impressed with the design of these buildings, but looking at the floor plans, the retail space is huge. I'd like to see more developments include 2 floors of retail. I look forward to seeing who the tenants will be aside from the bank. Westboro seems like the ideal place for a Whole Foods, but this space would be too small unless they take up almost the whole thing.

It depends on where in Westboro the Whole Foods could go, but definitely not here there's already the Superstore and Metro within blocks of each other and this site. Instead I'd much rather see a grocery in Hintonburg, as it is desperately needed there. I heard that many people who live in the area/ Mechanicsville are so desperate for groceries that they have to go to the Giant Tiger, as Metro is not close enough to walk.

Although, it would be nice for a grocery store to open up near Amica on Richmond (where Rogers is located) as there's a growing population in that area, and it would be good to reduce car dependency.

rocketphish
Apr 19, 2013, 12:12 AM
OPA http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__9JH9NR

Unmistakably Rod Lahey:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8255/8661007067_3a0f3efb0d_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8240/8661007063_a883072b42_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8245/8661007075_333f364611_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8258/8662134958_0e01709d61_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8247/8661006933_d4d0ae7c1f_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8256/8661035757_b212a8eecd_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/8661006995_caa3722008_b.jpg

monkeybongo
Apr 19, 2013, 1:55 PM
I heard that many people who live in the area/ Mechanicsville are so desperate for groceries that they have to go to the Giant Tiger, as Metro is not close enough to walk.

I suppose that's the reason why there's so many restaurants in the area, too lazy to go to the grocery store, might as well eat out.

I used to live around there and there's nothing wrong with Giant Tiger as it's the cheapest place to get the staples. Also, there's the ethnic grocery store and they have really excellent meat and a fish store just a couple stores down. Also, need I say Parkdale market.

brentgaulois
Apr 19, 2013, 2:16 PM
I suppose that's the reason why there's so many restaurants in the area, too lazy to go to the grocery store, might as well eat out.

I used to live around there and there's nothing wrong with Giant Tiger as it's the cheapest place to get the staples. Also, there's the ethnic grocery store and they have really excellent meat and a fish store just a couple stores down. Also, need I say Parkdale market.

It's probably part of the reason why people felt so attached the the KFC building.

If you're getting canned foods at Giant Tiger, okay, but it's not the best for produce and dairy. Parkdale Market is convenient for those in the neighbourhood for fresh produce, but it only runs for several months of the year.

In any case, the neighbourhood needs a proper grocery store.

McC
Apr 19, 2013, 3:00 PM
Actually, GT is excellent for dairy; 4 litres of milk for $3.99, yogurt for $2.99, decent butter and cheddar cheese prices (but not for anything too fancy); we literally save $100s of dollars a year buying just these staples there instead of at Metro or the Stoopidstore. And the produce can be really surprising at times; a few weeks ago they had half-pints of organic blueberries for $2.50. The staff are also great. Don't get me wrong, the area needs a real grocery store, but just to say that GT does a remarkable job filling the gap.

JackBauer24
Apr 21, 2013, 5:59 PM
Actually, GT is excellent for dairy; 4 litres of milk for $3.99, yogurt for $2.99, decent butter and cheddar cheese prices (but not for anything too fancy); we literally save $100s of dollars a year buying just these staples there instead of at Metro or the Stoopidstore. And the produce can be really surprising at times; a few weeks ago they had half-pints of organic blueberries for $2.50. The staff are also great. Don't get me wrong, the area needs a real grocery store, but just to say that GT does a remarkable job filling the gap.

Ah, but do they sell granola and hemp???

McC
Apr 22, 2013, 12:00 PM
See Simply Raw to satisfy that market segment.

waterloowarrior
Aug 20, 2013, 7:44 PM
recommended for approval. It will be 29 metres, about 7-8 floors. Some renders in the report
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=2342&doctype=agenda&itemid=299617

kevinbottawa
Aug 23, 2013, 7:21 PM
There's a new website for this one including a higher quality rendering. Looks pretty nice. I notice the name is now Westboro Connection instead of Westboro Collection, the residential units are rentals, and the building doesn't come right up to the street (there are parking spots in front).

http://www.westboroconnection.com/

waterloowarrior
Aug 23, 2013, 7:35 PM
There's a new website for this one including a higher quality rendering. Looks pretty nice. I notice the name is now Westboro Connection instead of Westboro Collection, the residential units are rentals, and the building doesn't come right up to the street (there are parking spots in front).

http://www.westboroconnection.com/

The renders don't include the power lines :) However a bike path, 2m wide sidewalk and landscaped boulevard will be provided by the applicant along the entire McRae Ave through a Section 37 agreement.

http://goo.gl/maps/0MeSY

J.OT13
Aug 23, 2013, 7:37 PM
Decent. Reminds me somewhat of this one in Montreal;

http://www.ivanhoecambridge.com/CMS/Media/2126_85_en-CA_0_Centre_CDP_Capital_Stephan_Poulin___MG_1334_comm.jpg

Westbro Connection;

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzUxWDcyMA==/$(KGrHqJHJCoFHN9mN4gqBR6ZUmq9jQ~~48_2.JPG

kevinbottawa
Aug 23, 2013, 9:19 PM
Might as well post the big rendering from their website. The one that was just posted is a bit small.

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/2017c0_82e1d6bc16e043cc4ce5114f3f4d55e7.jpg_srz_941_628_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

kevinbottawa
Aug 23, 2013, 9:22 PM
By the way, I wonder if the one storey building at the corner of Richmond and McRae with the pastry shop and the Bushtukah will ever be developed into something better. I hate that building; cheapens the area.

MountainView
Aug 23, 2013, 9:49 PM
What! No balconies! :rolleyes:

kwoldtimer
Aug 23, 2013, 10:11 PM
What! No balconies! :rolleyes:

Wonderful, isn't it?

Marcus CLS
Aug 24, 2013, 12:56 AM
I was reading the planning report and under the section discussing the Hydo corridor (the one not shown in the renderings) it says " A new bicycle path would also be provided along McRae Avenue extending to the Ottawa River." What the F***? How do you get to the Ottawa River when McRae ends at Scott Street? I love it when planners throw out these summary statements because when you apply them to reality it does not make any sense . Technically any path along McRae would connect to the east /west multiuse path on Scott, then by heading east to Island park you take the Bike lane north to the Champlain Bridge. The way the planner described it is a bit of a stretch.

Why not just say "connecting to existing paths allowing easy access to the Ottawa River"

waterloowarrior
Aug 24, 2013, 1:08 AM
I was reading the planning report and under the section discussing the Hydo corridor (the one not shown in the renderings) it says " A new bicycle path would also be provided along McRae Avenue extending to the Ottawa River." What the F***? How do you get to the Ottawa River when McRae ends at Scott Street? I love it when planners throw out these summary statements because when you apply them to reality it does not make any sense . Technically any path along McRae would connect to the east /west multiuse path on Scott, then by heading east to Island park you take the Bike lane north to the Champlain Bridge. The way the planner described it is a bit of a stretch.

Why not just say "connecting to existing paths allowing easy access to the Ottawa River"

It's a future path along the hydro corridor - http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planning-and-development/community-plans-and-design-guidelines/community-plans-and-stu-4-2

I think there is a small bridge over the transitway there as well or some kind of structure not open to regular traffic edit: see this aerial http://binged.it/17aipvZ

Kitchissippi
Aug 24, 2013, 1:10 AM
Maybe they'll build a ped/bike bridge eventually. I know that people in the Metropole would love it, it would put the Superstore in closer walking distance. A rough pathway does exist up to Lanark, and it would not take much to connect it to the pathway on the south side of the JAM parkway.

There has also long been talk of this pathway extending south to Carling

Skipper
Aug 24, 2013, 1:37 AM
How about opening a Farmboy on the ground level of this commercial building???? Westborites deserve better than the crappy Superstore with its rotten vegetables (and customer service)

citydwlr
Aug 24, 2013, 2:36 AM
Wonderful, isn't it?

:P

Looks kinda like a hospital...

Rob64
Aug 24, 2013, 5:27 AM
How about opening a Farmboy on the ground level of this commercial building???? Westborites deserve better than the crappy Superstore with its rotten vegetables (and customer service)

I was using the washroom at that Superstore a few months ago and I noticed an employee walk out of a bathroom stall without washing his hands. So I followed him to see if he'd touch any food... he went straight to the fruit/veggie section and started putting apples on the display. Needless to say, I ratted him out to management. Let's hope he never does that again.

gjhall
Aug 24, 2013, 12:43 PM
I was using the washroom at that Superstore a few months ago and I noticed an employee walk out of a bathroom stall without washing his hands. So I followed him to see if he'd touch any food... he went straight to the fruit/veggie section and started putting apples on the display. Needless to say, I ratted him out to management. Let's hope he never does that again.

Maybe he was just doing coke, give him a break! ;)

But seriously, we're all into small Farm Boy stores, but half a block from Superstore is not where you'd want to test the market for urban size stores!

JackBauer24
Aug 27, 2013, 6:54 PM

Gross? Yes. But surely you wash your produce before consuming/cooking it? Or are you one of those that likes to play Russian Roulette with your health?

gjhall
Aug 27, 2013, 7:30 PM
Recommended for approval by planning committee today.

waterloowarrior
Aug 28, 2013, 2:17 PM
Approved by Council

monkeybongo
Aug 28, 2013, 2:39 PM
By the way, I wonder if the one storey building at the corner of Richmond and McRae with the pastry shop and the Bushtukah will ever be developed into something better. I hate that building; cheapens the area.

I think the used car dealerships cheapen the area. I visit Bushtukah all the time so don't give any developers the idea.

Ted
Aug 28, 2013, 3:55 PM
Good to see some commercial / residential action in the neighbourhood. Can't be all condos.

rocketphish
Aug 28, 2013, 4:55 PM
BridgePort’s Westboro proposal gets nod from planning committee

Published on August 27, 2013. OBJ Staff

A committee of city councillors has agreed to make way for a new development close to Scott Street in Westboro.

The planning committee, which approves which buildings can go where in the city, agreed to rezone the land at 319 McRae Ave. in Westboro to make way for a mixed-use building.

Local developer BridgePort Realty is hoping to build a structure that will feature office space, condominiums and retail stores.

Councillors on the committee also voted to approve a request for rezoning at 335 Michael Cowpland Dr. in Kanata. Northern Lights Educational Services wanted the change so it could provide more services on the site.

Both motions will now go to a full meeting of city council for final approval.

http://www.obj.ca/Local/City%20Hall/2013-08-27/article-3366149/BridgePorts-Westboro-proposal-gets-nod-from-planning-committee/1

gjhall
Aug 29, 2013, 3:20 AM
While they may be registering it as a condominium, it's pretty clear that the plan is rentals http://www.westboroconnection.com/#!rentals/c20x9

concrete06
May 3, 2014, 3:52 AM
Some activity... Taken April 30, 2014

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/sci99/IMG_20140430_170749.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/sci99/IMG_20140430_170753.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/sci99/IMG_20140430_170800.jpg

McC
May 5, 2014, 7:53 PM
Groundbreaking on Westboro Connection today; Kitchissippi Times was there and tweeting: https://twitter.com/Kitchissippi

Karlis
May 5, 2014, 7:54 PM
Hey forum posters,

I was surprised not to see more activity on this site / development as things neared the start of the project last week. As one of the residents of Clifton Road (adjacent to the property), we've been discussing the plans and their execution with the development team over the weeks, providing input where possible. Given the neighbourhood's sensitivity to traffic, noise, blasting, and the safety of the children on the street, the development team has made admirable concessions and commitments to ensure minimal and mitigated disruption (such as trying to avoid our residential road whenever possible for construction vehicles / access, ongoing engagement and communications, etc).

Everyone recognizes the challenges and difficulties around a project of this scale. While most recognize the importance of appropriate urban densification, it's often a different scenario when it's directly in your backyard. It won't be easy, but we'll work together with the development team to ensure as painless a process as possible.

K

McC
May 5, 2014, 7:58 PM
good luck, leaving near major construction is all sorts of headache!

kevinbottawa
May 13, 2014, 8:05 PM
Ground broken on Westboro mixed-use development

OBJ Staff
Published on May 13, 2014

Construction is under way on a 257,000-square-foot mixed-use development near Scott Street in Westboro.

Real estate investors BridgePort Developments and Fiera Properties have partnered on the development at 319 McRae Ave., while Broccolini Construction is the general contractor.

The development will feature a six-storey office building attached to an eight-storey rental apartment complex through a podium that will have retail space.

“Our goal is to create a best-in-class mixed-use development,” BridgePort president Hugh Gorman said in a news release. “This is the first development that incorporates office, retail and purpose-built rental apartments that is transit-oriented and includes a full Brownfield remediation.”

Alterna Savings and The Pythian Group have already leased 85 per cent of the 115,000-square-foot office tower.

The apartment building will have 138 units and is intended to compete with nearby condos. There will also be 36,650 square feet of retail space.

The development is part of a larger vision, dubbed the Westboro Collection, to construct a variety of buildings in the area that would include residential, commercial and office space.

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Construction/2014-05-13/article-3724248/Ground-broken-on-Westboro-mixed-use-development/1

kevinbottawa
May 13, 2014, 8:12 PM
The renders don't include the power lines :) However a bike path, 2m wide sidewalk and landscaped boulevard will be provided by the applicant along the entire McRae Ave through a Section 37 agreement.

Is this still happening? Is there a timeline? This rendering looks nice though.

gjhall
May 13, 2014, 10:49 PM
Is this still happening? Is there a timeline? This rendering looks nice though.

It's a site plan condition, still being designed/negotiated.

J.OT13
May 14, 2014, 12:15 AM
Alterna Savings and The Pythian Group have already leased 85 per cent of the 115,000-square-foot office tower.

Damn! I had my money was on Alterna moving to Place de Ville Tower D. I guess we're stuck with the Podium building for the next decade or so. Too bad; it would have been nice to have a redeveloped PdV before the subway opened.

rocketphish
May 16, 2014, 4:57 PM
Interesting... not only is Alterna Savings in this latest rendering, but so is Sport Chek! I guess that Canadian Tire wants a piece of the red hot sports store business in this neighbourhood.

http://www.obj.ca/media/photos/unis/2014/05/16/2014-05-16-07-15-07-vsAm8NpE60LN17UophUMb0vjubdNNyqqElcCJNOLN40,CYcO4cDg2Do-l47VX_IHZ8lqcuZeLzTi51Tqn_dhArg.jpg
from: http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Construction/2014-05-13/article-3724248/Ground-broken-on-Westboro-mixed-use-development/1

waterloowarrior
Jun 27, 2014, 1:12 AM
The site cost $7.45 million to purchase
http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/newsletters/2014/May_2014_March_Sales_Newsletter.pdf

Radster
Jun 27, 2014, 3:46 PM
Cool project, but I guess for starters, they will have to move those HUGE hydro lines/towers.

rocketphish
Jun 27, 2014, 4:38 PM
Cool project, but I guess for starters, they will have to move those HUGE hydro lines/towers.

No, those are on a strip of City land along the street. See the plan here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=6097017&postcount=59

The developers just conveniently don't show them in any of the renderings.

c_speed3108
Jun 27, 2014, 7:25 PM

The Hydro towers will stay. The developer has a lease on the strip of land such that they can use it for parking, landscaping etc... Obviously you can't build there.

Karlis
Jul 7, 2014, 8:25 PM
Following 2 weeks of excavation activity, the site is now poised to begin blasting (!) tomorrow. Hoping it all goes smoothly... Tie down the breakables!!

Karlis