PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Western Ontario and Fanshawe College

Pages : 1 [2] 3

ForestryW
Jun 26, 2011, 1:14 PM
The new UWO residence:

http://communications.uwo.ca/images/2011/june/NewresidenceDNS.jpg

UWO certainly seems to have a standard architectural formula for their residences. Still looks nice enough though. Western is a very attractive campus.

manny_santos
Jun 26, 2011, 6:36 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your experience during first year- I was in Med-Syd, so there was no way for me to tell if Western was actively alienating first-year off-campus students. That being said, most of my friends are London natives, and I've never really heard these types of complaints from them. What specifically was the university doing to isolate off-campus people? Or, more accurately, what were they failing to do to integrate them?

At least at the time I started at Western, orientation week activities were designed around residence students, and activities for off-campus students were very limited, if not nonexistent. It was extremely difficult for off-campus students to meet other students outside of the classroom, especially if you were socially awkward like I was at that time. I had no friends at that time and this was a vital time for me to be able to connect with others, and despite my best efforts to reach out, I never had a social life at Western. There were even events that were exclusive to residence students. Once second year started, all the students who knew each other in first year from residence had bonded and formed a large clique, and the rest of us were on our own. Our so-called "OC Don" never once communicated with us.

I lay the blame largely on former university president Paul Davenport, who was quoted in the Globe and Mail some years ago about how he was making Western more residence-oriented than most other Canadian universities. His program was to make residence a highly integral part of the university experience, something that other universities didn't (and shouldn't) do very much. Students like me, despite excelling academically and being on the Dean's Honour Roll, evidently were not part of Western's target market.

Fanshawe does not have resident student-only campus events. It is a far more inclusive community than Western. This came at least partially out of attempts to stem the number of out-of-control off-campus parties, particularly on Fleming Drive and Thurman Circle.

Pimpmasterdac
Jun 27, 2011, 6:28 AM
:previous:
Sorry to hear about that Manny. What you say is dead on though, you network and meet so many people your first year, especially from rez. I lived in Saugeen first year, and it was one of the best years I had at UWO! I know though, when they had O-week every rez seemed like they were an integral part on o-week, while OC were like outsiders. I donno whether the new president has done anything to correct this, but your assessment is dead on.

This new residence sounds like it'll be massive. 1,000 people, that's like adding another Saugeen to the area. My only concern is the traffic, pedestrian & cars that will be caused at Western & Sarnia. It's already ridiculous let alone another 1,000 people moving around there. They need to make some type of a tunnel like they USE to have at Saugeen or some type of grade separation between traffic & pedestrians. Otherwise looks pretty nice, anythings better than Saugeen :D

MolsonExport
Jun 27, 2011, 12:49 PM
^I wish there was a more detailed render than that, but it looks decent.

I hope it is integrated to the campus, pedestrian walk, road...etc in a good way.

It is almost kitty-corner to the Recreation centre (current Althouse parking lot on Sarnia Rd.)

Yeah, 100% agreement on the need for a tunnel. Not going to happen now, as the city planners can only think incrementally.

new age
Sep 22, 2011, 6:58 PM
Fanshawe setting up at Royal Trust building
By RANDY RICHMOND, THE LONDON FREE PRESS
Last Updated: September 22, 2011 11:56am

The former Royal Trust building in downtown London. (SUE REEVE, The London Free Press)
London-based Fanshawe College's new downtown arts campus will be at the former Royal Trust building.

The sale of the building at 137 Dundas St. closes in October.

Fanshawe College president Howard Rundle said the campus will do more than provide a new home for theatre arts and digital media students. The downtown campus will help grow London's population of young, entrepreneurial workers, he said.

“It is really about integrating the students into the community. If we expect students to stay after they graduate they need to get to know our community, moving in it, working in it, playing in it while they’re students.”

The college already has one location in the core — at Citi Plaza, where their theatre arts program is located as well as information on continuing education and career services.

About 200 students will walk through the campus doors in 2013.

Fanshawe's downtown move could herald the final building block in the downtown's rejuvenation -- a major educational component.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/09/22/18723506.html

I actually think this is not the best location. I don't think they have many places in that area to expand into.

I was hoping to see them use the old Bud Gowan building. A historic building in an area in need of stimulus, lots of parking too.

north 42
Sep 22, 2011, 7:26 PM
Here in Windsor the University of Windsor is moving it's school of music and art into the old armouries building downtown, and hopefully it's school of social work into the historic Windsor Star building, also downtown. The armouries has nowhere to really expand though, where as the Star building will have room for expansion. If all goes well we'll have over 2000 students joining the two St Clair College campuses that already exist downtown. It's great to see our downtowns becoming more education oriented, great for both cities.

new age
Sep 22, 2011, 7:40 PM
Here in Windsor the University of Windsor is moving it's school of music and art into the old armouries building downtown, and hopefully it's school of social work into the historic Windsor Star building, also downtown. The armouries has nowhere to really expand though, where as the Star building will have room for expansion. If all goes well we'll have over 2000 students joining the two St Clair College campuses that already exist downtown. It's great to see our downtowns becoming more education oriented, great for both cities.

Thats great news! London's issue I think was with property owners not selling to Fanshawe College. I think this was the best building they could get. Don't get me wrong it's a nice choice, I just think its short sighted.

Good luck to Windsor, I think schools downtown means jobs downtown.

north 42
Sep 22, 2011, 8:05 PM
^ jobs and a young creative class of people joining downtown, great for everyone with a stake in their city's core.

bolognium
Sep 22, 2011, 8:32 PM
Fanshawe has stated they are focusing on creating an arts district. The school will be spread across multiple buildings in the city's core so there will be no need to expand out from the Royal Trust building. Instead when Fanshawe's ready for phase two they'll just buy another building a block away.

Though I'm a little disappointed Fanshawe didn't pick a pre-war building, I do believe the Royal Trust building will end up being a very interesting starting point. The building is certainly a unique structure on Dundas with its outdoor atrium feeling and rooftop patio. It's also directly across from The MET and has a great connection to the market. Plus it's only steps away from Dundas and Richmond. Overall I'd say Fanshawe made a fantastic purchase.

And three quarters of the Granite Block (Bud Gowan) has been renovated into apartments already. Only the remaining quarter with the old Bud Gowan sign is vacant.

new age
Sep 22, 2011, 9:14 PM
When I first herd of this campus I had a dream list. The Bud Gowan, the Lithography, and the number one was the Met with the two buildings to the east. If they ever needed lots of extra room there was a good chunk across Carling st. I don't think there could be a better outcome then to have so many great places getting redeveloped.

bolognium
Sep 23, 2011, 3:26 AM
Awesome dream list, but unfortunately I don't see much of it happening.

Most of Bud Gowan was renovated into decent apartments. The MET is doing surprisingly well and its upper floors will likely be turned into studio space. The Chisholm Building east is owned by a law firm that's already renovating. East again is Target Hi Fi. I suppose I could see them moving into a different building so Fanshawe could purchase (dunno if they rent or own), but I'm pretty sure Target has been in that building for like 30 years. Wright Lithography building is awesome and hella vacant but I think it's outside of the proposed arts district. Maybe the city could amend the boundaries if Fanshawe shows interest?

So I guess I'm saying I'd be surprised if any of these locations are picked. For me, the Royal Trust building came out of left field. The first time I even thought about that building was four days ago when I read it in an LFP article. Either way I still think it was a great purchase. Also, the Royal Trust building won't be receiving extra money for heritage renovations so that could potentially benefit Fanshawe's next purchace. Maybe go the extra mile in some renovation aspects or deal with unexpected costs easily.

MolsonExport
Sep 27, 2011, 5:18 PM
Apparently UWO is going to announce a downtown London campus.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/09/26/18742876.html

Core campus in the works

MrSlippery519
Sep 27, 2011, 5:42 PM
Apparently UWO is going to announce a downtown London campus.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/09/26/18742876.html

I saw that this morning, I am more interested in the statement about the new downtown City Hall to be honest...though UWO coming downtown is great news also.

haljackey
Sep 27, 2011, 5:48 PM
I saw that this morning, I am more interested in the statement about the new downtown City Hall to be honest...though UWO coming downtown is great news also.

Fanshawe is coming too. The more the merrier, I say.

Just do something with Richmond and Dundas. No one likes that crap.

Wharn
Sep 27, 2011, 9:37 PM
Just do something with Richmond and Dundas.

Demolish it? :shrug:

haljackey
Sep 28, 2011, 12:13 AM
Demolish it? :shrug:

Well that's something. :P At this point, something is better than nothing.

manny_santos
Sep 28, 2011, 4:07 PM
Joe Fontana told us to be ready for the whole enchilada with regards to UWO and a new city hall.

I just hope the enchilada comes with some hot salsa.

MolsonExport
Sep 28, 2011, 4:48 PM
In the US, there was once a saying: What's good for General Motors is what's good for America.

Perhaps in reference to downtown London: What's good for Shmuel Fahri is what's good for downtown London.

Wharn
Oct 1, 2011, 4:49 AM
In the US, there was once a saying: What's good for General Motors is what's good for America.

Perhaps in reference to downtown London: What's good for Shmuel Fahri is what's good for downtown London.

Has anyone figured out how the hell he managed to basically buy up the entire downtown? Is our real estate market really that pathetic, or is he just obscenely wealthy?

north 42
Oct 1, 2011, 2:25 PM
Has anyone figured out how the hell he managed to basically buy up the entire downtown? Is our real estate market really that pathetic, or is he just obscenely wealthy?

He's been buying properties in downtown Windsor the last couple years now too. Here's hoping that he actually developes some of them, and not just sit on them, they're in too strategic locations to not do something with.

MolsonExport
Oct 6, 2011, 12:21 PM
2-page spread and cover in Western News this morning (Oct 6), largely centering on a proposal for UWO to take over the "Civic Campus" (city hall, centennial, and ajacent) for a downtown campus. The idea being that the city will donate the facilities to UWO.

MolsonExport
Oct 6, 2011, 4:13 PM
Here is the article:

http://communications.uwo.ca/western_news/stories/2011/October/new_day_dawning_downtown.html

New day dawning downtown?By Heather Travis, Western News
October 06, 2011

http://communications.uwo.ca/images/2011/october/downtown.jpg

The University of Western Ontario has been given the green light to start preparing a comprehensive business plan for the use of City Hall and other areas of the Civic Campus, following a motion approved Tuesday night during a special meeting of the London city council.

Council has agreed to enter into discussions with Western regarding the university’s interests in downtown. Western must submit a business plan by March 2012, which would include details as to the potential use of the Civic Campus – City Hall, Centennial Hall and the associated parking facility.

http://communications.uwo.ca/images/2011/october/chakma.jpghttp://communications.uwo.ca/images/2011/october/fontana.jpg
Chakma Fontana

There is currently a long-term lease agreement on Centennial House. So, while it will be part of the discussion, the timeframe for when it would be available would be different.

But before Western can move downtown, City Hall must be relocated.

The city is also asking for details on what investment requirements Western is expecting in the current facilities, as well as information about funding partners including other levels of government. The city wants Western to outline the benefits to the community as a result of this endeavor, an implementation strategy and timeline for completion.

“I am very pleased to hear that the mayor and council have confirmed their interest in bringing Western to City Hall,” says Western president Amit Chakma. “We look forward to discussing how Western will be able to play a considerable role in creating a more vibrant and prosperous London through an expanded presence in downtown. This is a tremendous opportunity to partner with the City of London to fulfill the future potential for this important location.”

This puts in motion a plan to create a presence for Western in the downtown.

“The concept is Western should have a presence in this city,” Chakma says, noting the only way the university is entertaining the idea is if a building donation is on the table.

“If the proposition from the city is we have to buy that building for $30 million or $40 million, the conversation ends immediately,” Chakma says. “Not because I don’t think it is worth investing that sort of money. No, the business plan simply does not work. How do I know? I’ve done these sorts of things many times before.

“We need to have the land and the building free of charge. We need some support for renovation, then actually the business plan works.”

None of this is off the table as far as London Mayor Joe Fontana is concerned.

[...] read more here: http://communications.uwo.ca/western_news/stories/2011/October/new_day_dawning_downtown.html

londoner_abroad
Oct 8, 2011, 9:14 PM
^I wish there was a more detailed render than that, but it looks decent.

I hope it is integrated to the campus, pedestrian walk, road...etc in a good way.

Good day everyone! I've been a long time reader of this blog and used to write as much as I could until my I started my job and it kinda sort of didn't really allow me to contribute. But now I am off half way across the world in Newcastle, UK of all places and more then ever I look forward to reading what is going on back home! Especially pictures of projects that are on going and of special interest to me... like the Shoppers DM downtown and the 3 storey mixed use going up at Wortley and Bruce, If anyone has any updates please post them!

Anyway, Simpseatles you wanted to see more details on the UWO residence check out this link to find a whole presentation regarding this new building with plenty more details:

http://london.ca/Planning_and_Development/Land_Use_Planning/Urban_Design/PDFs/Urban_Design_Brief_University_of_Western_Ontario_2011_09_21.pdf

And for those who may not know... London has an Urban Design Peer Review Panel (UDPRP) a group made up of 6 professionals in the field (1 Urban Designer, 3 architects, 1 landscape architect and 1 LEEDs accredited professional) who volunteer their time to look at key projects that would affect the public realm.. all buildings in the downtown, most buildings along main roads, main entryways into the city. They do a peer review of the developers projects and offer advice to the developer in the form of a memo which is usually attached to the planning report that goes to Built and Natural Environment committee (formerly Planning Committee), in order for this process to be transparent the Urban Design Briefs for each project are available online sometime around the 2nd week of the month for that months meeting and the comments usually come out the following month. If you are interested in checking out the briefs submitted by developers check out :

http://london.ca/d.aspxs=/Planning_and_Development/Land_Use_Planning/Urban_Design/AgendasMinuteRecs.htm

Its great to finally be back on here!
Cheers

Kokkei Mizu
Oct 9, 2011, 2:12 AM
more then ever I look forward to reading what is going on back home! Especially pictures of projects that are on going and of special interest to me... like the Shoppers DM downtown and the 3 storey mixed use going up at Wortley and Bruce, If anyone has any updates please post them!

I plan to do one of my updates in the next week! I try to do one about every month. You can see them all in this thread (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=190400).

Simpseatles
Oct 10, 2011, 5:37 PM
Anyway, Simpseatles you wanted to see more details on the UWO residence check out this link to find a whole presentation regarding this new building with plenty more details:

http://london.ca/Planning_and_Development/Land_Use_Planning/Urban_Design/PDFs/Urban_Design_Brief_University_of_Western_Ontario_2011_09_21.pdf

Its great to finally be back on here!
Cheers

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting the info about the new UWO residence. That definitely gave me a better idea of what to expect. Overall, I think it looks pretty solid. I like that the parking is at the back, the little green spaces in between blocks, as well as the general design. I only wish it could be a little more integrated with Sarnia Road, with shops and such.

MolsonExport
Oct 10, 2011, 8:59 PM
thanks for the detailed rez plans. a large one.

manny_santos
Oct 16, 2011, 11:49 PM
Well, I'm now living in Toronto (at least temporarily), and I had a little bet with one of my new friends there how long it would be before I ran into a Western grad who had left London and was now in Toronto. I arrived on Friday night. I saw not one today, but two.

Not surprisingly, both Kings College and Brescia College are advertised inside virtually every TTC vehicle. Beats Centretown Pawnbrokers.

MolsonExport
Oct 17, 2011, 12:28 PM
You mean the reach of CTPB does not extend yet into the GTA?
Ol' Ken and his two sons have got to up the ante.

Blitz
Oct 17, 2011, 11:16 PM
I've taught at UWO and to be fair a lot of the students who study there are originally from the GTA anyway. (I handed out a survey the first day of class and one of the questions asked them to list their hometown).

Wharn
Oct 18, 2011, 9:37 PM
I've taught at UWO and to be fair a lot of the students who study there are originally from the GTA anyway.

London's politicians are always very concerned about the high number of students who leave the city after graduation. But if you personally know any GTA students, you will also know that they are almost universally united in their disdain for this place. To them, London is just some comical, hickish provincial backwater which is hardly worth their time. My Toronto-area friends all think I'm downright weird for wanting to stay here after graduation.

manny_santos
Oct 19, 2011, 2:21 AM
London's politicians are always very concerned about the high number of students who leave the city after graduation. But if you personally know any GTA students, you will also know that they are almost universally united in their disdain for this place. To them, London is just some comical, hickish provincial backwater which is hardly worth their time. My Toronto-area friends all think I'm downright weird for wanting to stay here after graduation.

That's exactly what I was hearing from the GTA students I knew when I was at Western. I can't think of a single one that even wanted to work in London when they graduated. The same goes for international students who stay in Canada after graduating; most of the ones I've known have moved to other provinces.

Most of the people who are interested in working in London are either from London or from elsewhere in Southwestern Ontario.

MolsonExport
Oct 19, 2011, 1:43 PM
^of course younger students won't be persuaded by the whole "great place to raise a family" and "affordable housing" etc. arguments. I certainly was not when I got my undergrad back in 1994...moved to expensive Vancouver from Montreal (Van was Lotus-land back during the recession of the nineties, with amazing natural attributes [I love the outdoors], and an added bonus of many hot asian women).

Perspectives change when your life changes. While I greatly miss the big city life, I would not want to move my family to some overpriced cookie-cutter rowhouse in the Missingsausage or Mark's-Ham just to take 1 hour go-trains to/from work every day.

On the other hand, there is not exactly a surplus of white-collar, head office jobs here in the unForest city.

bolognium
Oct 19, 2011, 6:23 PM
I personally think London needs to focus on keeping the young people we already have as well as drawing from nearby towns/cities. I know people that've moved here from places like Sarnia and St.T and absolutely love it here. Whereas my friends that have grown up here have already bailed to larger cities. Everyone wants an upgrade, and to the average early 20s person from a 1 million+ centre London wouldn't seem very special.

The only people who end up sticking around are downright weird like Wharn (I read your name as Wham).

MolsonExport
Oct 19, 2011, 7:58 PM
It is solely due to the charm of Wharncliffe Road :D

Wharn
Oct 20, 2011, 5:57 PM
It is solely due to the charm of Wharncliffe Road :D

Even though it shares my name and provided my profile picture, I still think Wharncliffe Road is a miserable piece of shit. Run down, poorly planned, irritating to drive and just downright ugly.

The only people who end up sticking around are downright weird like Wharn

What can I say, I'm unique :D

(I read your name as Wham)

CANNOT UNSEE

manny_santos
Oct 22, 2011, 11:33 PM
Even though it shares my name and provided my profile picture, I still think Wharncliffe Road is a miserable piece of shit. Run down, poorly planned, irritating to drive and just downright ugly.

Depends what part of Wharncliffe we're talking about. I like the more pedestrian-oriented nature of the road north of Base Line Road.

Simpseatles
Oct 22, 2011, 11:59 PM
Depends what part of Wharncliffe we're talking about. I like the more pedestrian-oriented nature of the road north of Base Line Road.

Ehh, even north of Baseline it's mostly just fast food restaurants and plazas, with some houses facing the street. One of the things I dislike about London is that we don't have a solid, dense, commercial street outside the downtown core, like east Wyandotte in Windsor, or Eglinton in Toronto. Richmond row ends very abruptly at Oxford, Oxford is just converted old houses, and Dundas really only has a short segment in Old East. Hamilton road is a contender, but there are too many houses facing the road in some spots.

Either way, I think Wharn chose his username as an ode to "London's Golden Auto Mile!":haha:

Oh, I thought this was the London Road's thread, sorry for that.

Wharn
Oct 29, 2011, 3:45 PM

I actually don't think there is a part of Wharncliffe Road that I like at all. North of Baseline is really just a testament to what made the 1950s so terrible, I swear to God that Arcade Fire got some of their inspiration by driving along Wharncliffe south of Baseline. Maybe Wharncliffe and Oxford is OK because there's a pretty good Korean restaurant there (lots of international students seem to hang around that place), but other than that, no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

But yeah, back on topic...

MolsonExport
Oct 30, 2011, 1:40 AM
^second that perspective, including the Korean restaurant.

MolsonExport
Nov 9, 2011, 1:51 PM
Phase I of Ivey Business School open for Business.

'Facilities matter’
UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN ONTARIO: Ivey School of Business

With its wood-beamed ceilings and cozy fireplace in the Grand Hall, this might be mistaken for a stylish luxury hotel.

But when you're competing against the top business schools in the world, appearance counts.

The new $110-million Richard Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario strutted its stuff Monday as a showpiece designed to draw, and keep, the best and brightest business students from around the world.

"Facilities matter. We know that from experience. When it comes to business, it matters even more because we competing with the very best," said Western President Amit Chakma.

More here: http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/11/07/18936421.html#/news/london/2011/11/07/pf-18935301.html

BY THE NUMBERS

Ivey School of Business

Federal: $25 million

Provincial: $25 million

Western: $22.5 million

Private sector: $37.5 million

Total: $110 million.

Square metres: 25,000

Current building: 14,000 sq. m

15 78-seat classrooms

5 50-seat classrooms

70 breakout rooms

Scott Howard [Comment]
November 7th 2011, 3:04pm
Meanwhile, my children's public school has seven portables.

MolsonExport
Nov 10, 2011, 2:41 AM
facilities clearly don't matter much for the faculty of social science (which ranks among the top 100 globally). Just look at our sorry bldg

Wharn
Nov 10, 2011, 5:35 AM
Don't know about you but personally I'd love to have an office in that building. I'm always so envious of the prof's (or TA's) little private space on campus.

MolsonExport
Nov 10, 2011, 1:38 PM
^our main washroom has been out of order for 1 year running. Ivey's got a fireplace.

manny_santos
Nov 11, 2011, 3:59 AM
^our main washroom has been out of order for 1 year running. Ivey's got a fireplace.

Washrooms always seemed to be something that got neglected at Western. Some of the washrooms at Weldon Library were disgusting, especially during exams.

At least at Fanshawe, they get cleaned several times a day.

manny_santos
Nov 15, 2011, 6:29 PM
On my latest trip to Toronto I noticed something interesting near York University.

Not only does the City of Toronto have signs allowing overnight parking on streets near the university, but they allow it 365 days a year.

It's a novel concept that might be worth exploring in London near UWO. The only difference I could see is that the neighbourhood I saw these signs in appear to be almost exclusively housing built for students, and not established neighbourhoods which have students living in them. Still, if Toronto can do it, I'm sure a smaller city like London could do it.

Wharn
Nov 16, 2011, 3:58 AM
On my latest trip to Toronto I noticed something interesting near York University.

Not only does the City of Toronto have signs allowing overnight parking on streets near the university, but they allow it 365 days a year.

It's a novel concept that might be worth exploring in London near UWO. The only difference I could see is that the neighbourhood I saw these signs in appear to be almost exclusively housing built for students, and not established neighbourhoods which have students living in them. Still, if Toronto can do it, I'm sure a smaller city like London could do it.

There must be a catch. One of my friends goes to York and was telling me about how outrageous parking was. Since the University is not really on any decent transit routes, everyone wants to drive there. I would imagine that those streets would be overwhelmed with cars belonging to students who commute in from the far corners of the GTA.

MolsonExport
Jan 27, 2012, 2:10 PM
Western throws the baby out with the bathwater.

http://www.uwo.ca/

Goodbye tower logo, hello generic crest:
http://www.uwo.ca/local_files/bnr/2012/bnr-brandnew.jpg

http://communications.uwo.ca/western_news/stories/2012/January/western_rolls_out_new_branding.html

No longer UWO, now Western University.

manny_santos
Jan 27, 2012, 3:32 PM
I do not agree with changing the names of well-established brands, because it creates too much identity confusion.

What I dislike the most is omitting "Ontario" because the new name makes no reference to London. Western what? Western sandwich? Western Prince Edward Island? Western Toronto? (The last one actually makes some sense)

haljackey
Jan 27, 2012, 5:01 PM
wtf. That is all.

go_leafs_go02
Jan 27, 2012, 6:13 PM
Logo is fine. Name change is not.

Western University Canada. Must be on Vancouver Island, or in some hillbillie Alberta town...

MolsonExport
Jan 27, 2012, 6:21 PM
Western. That University with Sergio Leone dept of music (which would actually be cool). Yee-haw.

Snark
Jan 27, 2012, 11:12 PM
Western throws the baby out with the bathwater... No longer UWO, now Western University.

Just like marketing for everything else these days: dumb'd down to one word. The school wants to aggressively market itself to the kids, and this sort of thing is all they know.

Secondly, the school want's an easily identifiable moniker and most other schools are recognized with one name: McMaster, Toronto, Ryerson, Queen's, McGill, Harvard, Yale, Northwestern, Caltech, Princton, etc.

Still, I see it as pandering. Time will tell. The new president did say that he was going to shake things up.

Blitz
Jan 27, 2012, 11:28 PM
Terrible. Cheapens the brand and makes it sound like it's in BC or something (not to mention the crest looks vaguely like the BC flag).

Wharn
Jan 27, 2012, 11:33 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/025/whywouldyoudothat.jpg

This reminds me a lot of the Waterloo rebranding controversy a few years back. The students were most unimpressed with the new logo, and rightfully so, because it was also uninspired and dumbed down. This one looks like a ripoff of UBC, but I can tolerate that.

I cannot tolerate the name change, it's an affront to years of tradition and a well-established image. Chakma can go to hell if this is his idea of progress.

MolsonExport
Jan 28, 2012, 4:56 PM
Ww6GqNrvCFY

icing on dog poop?

Blitz
Jan 28, 2012, 11:10 PM
That video angers me...of course people just call it "Western" but that's only because it's faster to say. That doesn't mean they should change their entire branding! Western University Canada is just stupid.

MolsonExport
Jan 29, 2012, 1:14 AM
I won't be in any rush to replace my business cards. Most of the faculty that I have talked to are not at all fond of this rebranding. So generic. So uninspiring. So inferior to the familar "Tower" logo.

Wharn
Jan 29, 2012, 5:54 AM
Found an interesting article on animal mummies today. Notice the anthropologist is from The University of Western Ontario.

http://bikyamasr.com/55175/in-death-ancient-egyptians-fed-their-animals/

This actually also reminded me of an article on "Buckyballs" (gigantic carbon molecules) a while back, where the astronomer and lead researcher was from The University of Western Ontario.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2010/07/22/buckyballs-fullerenes-space.html

Actually, that reminded me of yet another research initiative: an AIDS vaccine, developed and approved for human testing under the supervision of Chil-Yong Kang. Even this Chinese propaganda piece gives credit to The University of Western Ontario:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-01/10/content_14411391.htm

THIS is the Goddamn reputation we built. You'd have to be an incredibly dense fool to just throw it all away.

MolsonExport
Jan 29, 2012, 7:48 PM
^yep. I am willing to be a signatory to any petition (and otherwise lend my voice of dissension), etc., but I must refrain from spearheading the undertaking.

manny_santos
Jan 30, 2012, 12:54 AM
^yep. I am willing to be a signatory to any petition (and otherwise lend my voice of dissension), etc., but I must refrain from spearheading the undertaking.

And you know what you're talking about too. I was disappointed to see the London Free Press only interviewed marketing "experts" who agreed with the change. Those interviewed who disagreed were found in man-on-the-street interviews and in the Gazette office.

ForestryW
Jan 30, 2012, 1:16 AM
I like the new brand. But then again, I go to UW...our logo is bold Aharoni text.

manny_santos
Jan 30, 2012, 4:47 AM
I like the new brand. But then again, I go to UW...our logo is bold Aharoni text.

At least they didn't call it the University of Cambridge. Then again, the first time I heard that name, I thought it was in Cambridge, Ontario.

MolsonExport
Jan 30, 2012, 4:07 PM
The Glob and Snail's take: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/uwo-rebrands-to-a-familiar-name-western/article2316617/

The new brand, which has received mixed reviews from students and alumni, is a step toward making Western easily recognized around the globe.

So a stag, a maple leaf, a beaver, and sunbeams is easily recognized/categorized around the world? As opposed to the UC tower?
Western instead of the University of Western Ontario? Western? as in Western economies/philosophy? Western movies? Country and Western music? Western Canada? Northwestern University? ARGH!!

Seems as though the majority of comments are negative: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/uwo-rebrands-to-a-familiar-name-western/article2316617/comments/

MolsonExport
Jan 30, 2012, 4:22 PM
A sampling of the comments:

RAINing
7:31 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore RAINing. Show DetailsHide Details

Thanks for letting us know. When we see people driving around Vancouver looking for Western University, we'll know where to send them.

(what an absurd decision)

A B Smith
7:54 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore A B Smith. Show DetailsHide Details

I am a UWO Alumni. This change needs to be reversed. The name "Western University" is crazy, absurd and has no value. "University of Western Ontario" has a brand that has been built for 134 years. Maybe the school doesn't like the name, but the students and alumni do.

brother12
7:05 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore brother12. Show DetailsHide Details

What a stupid name! Western -- what is is west of, Mississauga? In Canada, Calgary is west, Winnipeg is west, but London, Ontario. Who outside of Ontario is even going to know where it is? Not hard to know where the University of Toronto is, or the University of Alberta, and McGill and Dalhousie have longstanding reputations. But Western? Is that is Arizona or Nevada or Wyoming or someplace? Duh?

Holden McGroyne
7:54 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Holden McGroyne. Show DetailsHide Details

I went to UWO. Colloquially, we referred to it as "Western", just as one shortens other institutional names. But "Western University" is meaningless and overly generic and is an affront to those of us who don't mind if "Ontario" is promoted globally.

What a retarded decision.

globecruzer
7:25 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore globecruzer. Show DetailsHide Details

I'm a UWO grad. Anyone not familiar with 'Western' will wonder where the hell is Western University?! West of what? The Atlantic ocean? Where is Eastern University? Somwhere in the far east I guess.

Clive Wynne-Candy
8:13 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Clive Wynne-Candy. Show DetailsHide Details

What a colossally stupid way forward for UWO. I went there in the 1990s and was, until today, a donor to the school. This isn't a vision for the future, it is just some bizarre rebranding. The President needs to get beyond looking at a university as a brand, like some sort of cracker, and look at it as a lasting piece of institutional identity. More than 100 years of that have been thrown away.

Someone should look into the change of their crest, which is actually illegal. They need the permission of the Canadian Heraldic Authority or College of Arms to augment their arms -- of course they went with a marketing firm which has set them up for a brand that will last about 7 years, then time for another few hundred thousand to rebrand again.

Pierogie
7:58 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Pierogie. Show DetailsHide Details

Sorry for being harsh, but what a stupid decision to make. A trite, banal and meaningless name replacing one that is well known and respected in this country.

A university's standing in the world depends on the respect it garners in academic circles. If the University of Western Ontario has a good reputation, foreign students looking for educational opportunities in Canada will know about it - period.

This is a case of otherwise intelligent people becoming slaves to marketing.

8:24 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Doctor Demento. Show DetailsHide Details

It is stunning how bad the argument is, from the high level folks at the university.

Their argument goes like this:

1. We want to be more attractive to foreign students
2. Universities are not popular if they are named after places.

HELLO?

Um, here is the obvious response:

1. WRONG. The purpose of a CANADIAN university is not to sound attractive to foreign students. Canada has its own history, thank you very much, and if Canada's historical names are not sweet enough for the ears of overseas students, they frankly can go jump in their own local pond.

2. WRONG. Many universities are popular and solid with the names of places, such as UCLA, Ohio State, Boston University, University of Toronto, Oxford University and Cambridge University.

So hey, let ask you, leaders at UWO: How does it feel to score ZERO PERCENT on the most important two-question test you will take this year?

Do you think maybe now would be a good time to resign, or be fired?

Zero percent score, not very world class!

westcoastmags
8:14 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore westcoastmags. Show DetailsHide Details

I am a graduate of The UWO Medical School..and less than a decade after I finished it is now the Schulich School of Medicine at Western University!!!???? I am proud to carry a degree from the University of Western Ontario. The administration would be wise to think twice about rebranding an institution to attract more foreign students while discounting the years of academic excellence that have made it, and its name, recognizable. Instead, they have opted for a generic, confusing name that makes it sound like this is one of those pop-up private colleges that may or may not be closed in 5 years. You can be sure I will continue to say I went to UWO.

Proud UWO Alum
9:14 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Proud UWO Alum. Show DetailsHide Details

We are proud graduates of the University of Western Ontario, always known affectionately as "Western", and are shocked, offended and stupefied by your decision to unilaterally change the name of our beloved alma mater, especially without properly consulting the alumni. The amount of pride and goodwill embodied in the name of our fine institution is immeasurable. The notion that a University with a regional name cannot attract international interest is absurd. The three finest American public universities are the University of Michigan, the University of California and the University of Virginia. The University of Toronto is Canada's most globally-recognized institution. Oxford and Cambridge are English towns and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is named after its state. Interestingly, its nickname is a three letter acronym just like our beloved UWO.

This horrendous decision has given us pause about our future financial and emotional commitment to the school. Please never forget that a proud alumni base is by far the most effective recruiting tool. This decision must be reversed this immediately.

cheryl lynn harding
8:17 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore cheryl lynn harding. Show DetailsHide Details

I spent 13 yrs of my life at "Western" I wish we had been notified about the pending change vs. reading it in the Globe. I understand the economics of this better than most but am disappointed that they treated this like a business case and yet fumbled the Communication Plan portion.

Purple and Proud ? Not at this moment

The Onlooker
7:50 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore The Onlooker. Show DetailsHide Details

The new name is bland, neutral and possibly confusing. Gone is any connection with Ontario or Canada. I suspect the real goal is part of an insidious campaign by certain parties to eliminate any associations to this country. Can the Ontario government which funds UWO (or whatever) prevent this renaming? It's Ontario taxpayers who have funded this institution.

Disgusted with The Globe
8:35 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Disgusted with The Globe. Show DetailsHide Details

A couple of points, if I may.

First - changing the name to simply "Western University" is going to upset a significant number of alumni and rightly so.

Second - changing the name doesn't make it a better university. It takes a lot more than that to bring UWO up to the high standards set by five or six other Canadian universities that rank head and shoulders above Western.

Lastly, the connotations of the word "western" are bad news to a majority of the folks on this earth.

Not a good marketing move! Brand distortion at its worst!

Score: 10 Name withheld
energyblogwalter
8:31 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore energyblogwalter. Show DetailsHide Details

The university is saying forget the connections to all its alumni, Ontario, and London specifically. It just wants to get more foreign students to make more money.

Even Seneca or Sheridan College has a name that is distinct and foreign students don't have a problem with those. Why would a foreign student have a connection to our names?? But no, UWO is selling off its 134 year association with the people of Ontario! What an incredible insult.

To save UWO, a provision in their charter should be in there to not change the name and not change the logo, to value and respect the 134 years it has established in this country and others. It worked fine for 134 years.

Or, sell out to fickle marketing every few years to people who can't possibly have any connection!

This man need to be fired, the senate restructured

LindsayAnne14
8:22 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore LindsayAnne14. Show DetailsHide Details

My grandfather went to UWO and many years later, I followed in his footsteps and also attended UWO. I met my fiance there, and his grandfather went to UWO as well. Although of course those that belong to this "club" of alumni, students and faculty,refer to UWO as Western, it absolutely breaks my heart, that one of the oldest Universities in Canada, with so much history, global prestige, and recognition would change it's name.

When you know Michael well, you call him Mike. Why can't it be the same for Western? It is not even in Western Canada. This really upsets me.

BrentPulford
11:05 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore BrentPulford. Show DetailsHide Details

As both an alumni of Western and somebody who's been an advertising copywriter, creative director and, latterly, brand consultant, I've participated in the re-branding of more than a few organizations and businesses. In some cases those actions were poorly motivated; little more than the proverbial lipstick on a sow. In other cases it was a necessary signal of growth, vitality and continued relevance.
Bank of Montreal became BMO in part because that's what every employee knew it as. It was the right move for a company whose roots are deep but whose business model necessarily changes to reflect growth and the changing nature of the economy it participates in.
Like banks universities are now competing globally. And that means a localized regional orientation could be a liability. Nevertheless, Western University, as a brand, is remarkably generic. There's nothing in that name that distinguishes it besides a vague hemispheric reference. That might have had some meaning when the cold war was raging and "western" had both political and cultural implications. But who knows, if the advertising and communication that follows effectively imbues the name with distinct values and characteristics then the brand could transcend what now sounds rather prosaic - absent of the kind of inspiration that could, right out of the chute, differentiate the school. Just doesn't have the same ring to it as Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Oxford or Cambridge. And those are just a few of the powerhouse brands it will be competing with.

Bgwaterloo
11:24 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Bgwaterloo. Show DetailsHide Details

The decision to rebrand is - as is so often the case - short-sighted and driven by the ego of the leader. Will it lead to utter confusion when people see a logo that reads: "Western University Canada?" Guaranteed. Branding has exactly nothing - nothing to do with logos. It has everything to do with excellence and experience. As the parent of a student at the University of Western Ontario, I am outraged that so much time and money was wasted on this exercise. Fundraisers: don't bother.

Concerned Parent19
12:17 AM on January 27, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Concerned Parent19. Show DetailsHide Details

Dear President Chakma,

As proud Alumni of the University of Western Ontario I must tell you that my husband and I are not in agreement with your name change.

We feel that "Western University" is a generic name and does not enhance UWO's international status. There are so many other universities in the world containing the name of Western that we are even further lost if we are not distiguished by the addition of the name Ontario.

I wholeheartedly agree that Canadian students should have greater numbers of International students in their classrooms to learn from and with. I was an International exchange student to India for one year before attending UWO and it was so benefical to me in terms of better understanding myself, culture and globalization. That being said I do not feel that the new name you have chosen for UWO reflects well for the school. I feel as though the university that granted me the degree I love so much, no longer exists.

[ http://www.qatar.northwestern.edu/ ]Northwestern University In Qatar
• [ http://www.nulaoag.com/ ]Northwestern University of the Philippines
• [ http://www.swu.edu.ph/ ]Southwestern University
• [ http://www.twu.ca/ ]Trinity Western University
• [ http://www.fhso.ch/ ]University of Applied Sciences Solothurn Northwestern Switzerland
• [ http://www.uwc.ac.za/ ]University of the Western Cape
• [ http://www.uwa.edu.au/ ]University of Western Australia
• [ http://www.uowm.gr/ ]University of Western Macedonia
• [ http://www.uwo.ca/ ]University of Western Ontario
• [ http://www.uws.edu.au/ ]University of Western Sydney
• [ http://www.wduniversity.net/ ]Western Delta University
• [ http://www.wgalil.ac.il/ ]Western Galilee College
• [ http://www.wkau.kz/ ]Western Kazakhstan Agricultural University
• [ http://www.wmsu.edu.ph/ ]Western Mindanao State University
• [ http://www.wu.edu.az/ ]Western University
• [ http://www.western.edu.kh/ ]Western University

Bjorn Dunkerbecker
9:18 PM on January 26, 2012

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Bjorn Dunkerbecker. Show DetailsHide Details

With that name, they might as well have put a cowboy on a bucking bronco. I wasn't an international student - but strictly from a cache perspective, don't "University of Western Ontario" or "UWO" sound more substantive than "Western University"? I wonder if they consulted the marketing/branding profs at Ivey about this (they're just down the road after all). I'm guessing no. If so, then they need some new marketing/branding profs ... not sure I want to be telling anyone I went to "Western University" now.

MolsonExport
Jan 30, 2012, 4:28 PM
Huffington post article: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/01/27/western-university-canada-name-change_n_1237485.html

manny_santos
Jan 30, 2012, 4:38 PM
I have no problem with UWO trying to attract international students (the term foreign students isn't used anymore).

However I think this actually damages their communications in international markets and even marketing in other provinces. Those who are not from Southern Ontario are not going to know where the university is located. Anyone I've talked to from other parts of the world who have never been to Canada associate the country with Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, and "Western" is sure to bring up images of studying in Vancouver.

I can speak from experience working in marketing that just the idea of rebranding is something that gets many new marketing graduates really excited, especially as my younger generation is obsessed with "change for the sake of change" - they need a new mobile device every 6 months, they need new clothing every 2 months. Some of the younger marketing people think rebranding is the solution to all the problems facing a company. All it takes is a charismatic rebranding advocate to get an entire team on board, but fortunately the teams I've been on have had enough skeptics to quash idiotic rebranding ideas. Rebranding as the be-all-and-end-all is certainly not taught in the educational institutions I have attended; rebranding is offered as one of many possible strategies for a company. (Now of course I'm a relatively young marketing graduate too, but I have always been one to think outside the box; I don't "need" to make constant changes.)

Just look at the number of names the local television station has been known as over the past 15 years. And it is still "officially" CFPL.

MolsonExport
Jan 30, 2012, 7:44 PM
The new strategy has all the consistency and charm of a western omelet.

University of Western Omelet.
University of Western (Canada).
University of Sphaghetti Westerns.
University of Western Bolivia.
University of Western philosophy.
Trinity Western University.
University of West Virginia.
Northwestern University.
Western Carolina University.

Pimpmasterdac
Jan 31, 2012, 5:27 AM
As someone that went and graduated from UWO just this October, I'm glad to be the last class to have graduated from "The University of Western Ontario", not Western University Canada :P

From a nostalgic point, UWO will always be UWO to me, no cosmetic name change can or will ever change that. Chakma is trading tradition and pride of an established name for marketing boost.

From the School's point I can understand though. Replacing Ontario with Canada makes sense. They want to branch out internationally, the Canadian identity has never been hotter and as highly prominent as it is today, While people in Canada know Ontario few people outside of Canada and border states know/heard of Ontario. I Imagine there will eventually be a Western University: India, California, England and all that.

Because in the end Universities, especially UWO are all about the money rather that tradition and pride.

Wharn
Jan 31, 2012, 9:42 PM
From the School's point I can understand though. Replacing Ontario with Canada makes sense. They want to branch out internationally, the Canadian identity has never been hotter and as highly prominent as it is today, While people in Canada know Ontario few people outside of Canada and border states know/heard of Ontario. I Imagine there will eventually be a Western University: India, California, England and all that.

First of all, I think there are very few moderately educated people outside Canada who don't know what Ontario is (a Canadian Province). Just like I'm very sure there are few moderately educated outside the United States who don't know what Iowa is (an American State). Secondly, if the international students who we're trying to attract are so ignorant of geography that they've never heard of Ontario, then ask yourself: would we really want them studying here? Shouldn't they be attracted based on the reputation of the University? How bloody smart could they be if they can't figure out Ontario is at least a region in Canada? It would be like having someone ask "New South Wales? Since when is that in Australia?"

We already have plenty of international students who have applied to The University of Western Ontario, knowing full well it was in Canada. It's daft to change the name on that point alone. Following your logic, the University of Toronto and the University of British Columbia should also change their names, since the Canadian identity in both is not made absolutely clear.

Wharn
Jan 31, 2012, 9:43 PM
For anyone who's interested, I'm thinking of starting a petition to get this reversed. I'm not really sure how to go about doing it, but any input would be appreciated.

MolsonExport
Jan 31, 2012, 10:26 PM
Chakma/Western has basically repeated the "new Coke" debacle (1985). In their quest to attract some customers who might prefer pepsi, Coca-cola changed their formulation (blind taste tests revealed a preference for New coke over both "old" coke and Pepsi). Of course, they pissed off the people who were the most loyal and heaviest users of the brand. Piss off the customers responsible for 85-90% of the sales volume, just to (maybe) snag a Pepsi customer? Terrible. Plus, Coke only focused on taste, ignoring all the other attributes valued by customers....most importantly, tradition and consistency (nostalgia, etc.).

Very, very bad of Chakma. The new logo is bad, but the new name is absolutely terrible, and an insult to the hundreds of thousands of heretofore proud UWO alumni. Just for some vague notion that just maybe the brand name will "Sell" better in China/India. Which it won't, because a University's reputation is built on its past, not on some marketing gimmick.

The Western Experience? WTF is that supposed to mean?

sorry for the endless rants. The whole thing really pisses me off.

I think profs should post a full page "Tower" Logo on their office doors to protest. I am going to do that right now.

Pimpmasterdac
Jan 31, 2012, 11:32 PM
First of all, I think there are very few moderately educated people outside Canada who don't know what Ontario is (a Canadian Province). Just like I'm very sure there are few moderately educated outside the United States who don't know what Iowa is (an American State). Secondly, if the international students who we're trying to attract are so ignorant of geography that they've never heard of Ontario, then ask yourself: would we really want them studying here? Shouldn't they be attracted based on the reputation of the University? How bloody smart could they be if they can't figure out Ontario is at least a region in Canada? It would be like having someone ask "New South Wales? Since when is that in Australia?"

First off I prefer University of Western Ontario over Western University, I don't care for the new name myself, didn't need to fix what's not broken is my mentality. The Logo change to some generic shield over the iconic tower is another bad choice. They would've still kept that regardless of a name change.

I understand though where their administration is coming from. They want to market the school internationally, expand the UWO brand globally. UWO wants international students, they could care less whether they get students from London, Ontario or from London, England as long as they pay their tuition.

Ultimately it comes down to expanding their marketing to potential students internationally and make more money! International students have a higher tuition rates, meaning they come from wealthy families who are willing to donate/contribute more down the road.

As far as any petition or boycott (ala New Coke) that seems trivial and pointless. It's not as though current student are going to transfer out of Western en mass, graduate students are going to disaffiliate from UWO or have degrees not recognized, or that potential students are going to go elsewhere because of the name change.

Is it a loss of nostalgia, tradition, and pride? Yes absolutely I'm in the same boat as all you in that. But is it a loss of money or enrolment? No way, and unless is hurt the University's bottom line then they're not gonna change the new brand name.

manny_santos
Feb 1, 2012, 1:20 AM
Universities like The University of Western Ontario would prefer more international students, because they pay full tuition, while Canadian (or at least Ontario) students have tuition fees regulated by the government.

I also say "WTF" to the Western Experience. Especially as a Londoner who never was in residence, I never understood what this "experience" was supposed to be. Was it supposed to be partyin' at Saugeen-Maitland Hall?

Wharn
Feb 1, 2012, 5:07 AM
I think profs should post a full page "Tower" Logo on their office doors to protest. I am going to do that right now.

Jesus that's absolutely brilliant. You know if your fellow BMOS (not "Aubrey Dan") professors would be willing to do the same? It's the perfect form of silent protest. I'm going to see if I can convince the Economics department to sign on. The Gazette or even the Free Press may pick it up, who knows?

If I head to Social Sci before the movement catches on, I might learn Molson's true identity...

I understand though where their administration is coming from. They want to market the school internationally, expand the UWO brand globally. UWO wants international students, they could care less whether they get students from London, Ontario or from London, England as long as they pay their tuition.

Ultimately it comes down to expanding their marketing to potential students internationally and make more money! International students have a higher tuition rates, meaning they come from wealthy families who are willing to donate/contribute more down the road.

So what I don't understand is... why can't they make like Ford and sell a single brand worldwide? Why do we need to change the de facto name of the University just to attract internationals? Furthermore, why is a publically funded institution wasting money on brand name changes when it could be spent on something useful such as, oh, scholarships? You have no idea how many students (and profs) I've heard asking the same question. Or, if not scholarships, maybe some upgrades to infrastructure so international students don't feel chinsed when they actually get here?

I'm sorry if I sound aggressive, usually I agree with you. Usually I'm civil about this kind of stuff, but I'm just so angry and frustrated right now.

Pimpmasterdac
Feb 1, 2012, 6:44 AM
So what I don't understand is... why can't they make like Ford and sell a single brand worldwide? Why do we need to change the de facto name of the University just to attract internationals? Furthermore, why is a publically funded institution wasting money on brand name changes when it could be spent on something useful such as, oh, scholarships? You have no idea how many students (and profs) I've heard asking the same question. Or, if not scholarships, maybe some upgrades to infrastructure so international students don't feel chinsed when they actually get here?

I'm sorry if I sound aggressive, usually I agree with you. Usually I'm civil about this kind of stuff, but I'm just so angry and frustrated right now.

Hey nothing to apologize for Wharn.:cheers: I know this is an emotional issue, I don't agree with it myself. I still believe UWO, University of Western Ontario is a fine name that didn't need to be changed or tweaked. It's not like we're Penn State or some other institution that has been struck by scandal or criminal activities that perhaps would warrant a suddent name change.

I'm just saying I see the administration's point of view and from my own experience at UWO know what they are all about. Ultimately (and unfortunately) UWO is all about the money, all of the time! Something I and anyone else should never forget. Whether it was when I lost my Student ID and needed a new one, or if i had to pay $3 for 15 minutes of parking or needed to get a letter sent to OSAP to confirm I was still enrolled full-time, UWO made sure that they squeezed me for every dollar and cent that they could get out of me, and others!

Ultimately while they are an educational institution, which ought to be the primary function, it seems to have take a back seat to raise and making money by any means necessary. This name change is no exception, its a marketing ploy to promote and expand the UWO brand globally to increase international enrolment and revenues. Money > Education.

Giving a new scholarship or grant to students would be more beneficial, and definitely would enhance the "student experience" that UWO likes to brag about. However it would be more accurate if they talked about the "administrative experience" and how they rape and pillage students for any and all of their money of their course of 4, in not more years.

I had a great experience at UWO, met greats friends and professors there that are genuinely great people. I don't want to slam UWO or say that they are a bad institution, because they are one of the best. However in society and today's economy they need to remain competitive and this is just another strategy to market themselves and increase the prosperity of the school.

It's a poor move in respect to the schools history, pride and tradition, but the current administration would trade that for more money in a heart beat. Sad but the ultimate truth of post-secondary education in the 21st century.

MolsonExport
Feb 1, 2012, 1:50 PM
Jesus that's absolutely brilliant. You know if your fellow BMOS (not "Aubrey Dan") professors would be willing to do the same? It's the perfect form of silent protest. I'm going to see if I can convince the Economics department to sign on. The Gazette or even the Free Press may pick it up, who knows?

If I head to Social Sci before the movement catches on, I might learn Molson's true identity...

Heheh. The tower logo is on my door. But please keep my identity confidential...I enjoy the relative anonymity of my SSP alter ego, which permits me to speak freely without PC, and all that.

The world's most successful consumer products' company is Proctor & Gamble. Notice how consistent the Proctor and Gamble brand/logo is across their thousands (literally) of product lines? (sarcasm). The administrations arguments are largely red herrings. I believe the motivations behind the rebranding to be ill founded. The pseudo marketing research DID NOT assess potential attitudes towards "Western University", "The Western Experience" and that bland, generic logo. There are literally hundreds of universities worldwide with some sort of shield logo, many with a book/lion/stag or some other near worthless icon. The Tower means something (as in the 70s sci-fi movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind": "This means something....it is important!")

http://procterandgamblecoupons.net/wp-content/uploads/proctor-gamble-home.jpg

Wharn
Feb 1, 2012, 5:24 PM
It's a poor move in respect to the schools history, pride and tradition, but the current administration would trade that for more money in a heart beat. Sad but the ultimate truth of post-secondary education in the 21st century.

U of T's administration would never do that. Neither would UBC's. Or the University of Saskatchewan. Or the University of Alberta. We just have a bad administration in need of a serious and immediate purge.

I understand that the University needs to remain competitive, but the way it does that is by building up a reputation on an established name. Competition between institutions of higher learning is all about reputation, not cheap marketing gimmicks and flashy names. I understand the administration's position, but that doesn't change the fact that they're dead wrong.

Heheh. The tower logo is on my door. But please keep my identity confidential...I enjoy the relative anonymity of my SSP alter ego, which permits me to speak freely without PC, and all that.

It shall remain a secret. Although if the administration has spies or secret police at work, they may have already put two-and-two together.

haljackey
Feb 1, 2012, 6:11 PM
I know Molson's true identity (from the one and only London meetup), but I'll be nice and keep it a secret.

Interesting proposal. I'll contact some of my friends that are TAs in the geography department and see if they can get on board. I'm sure the profs won't mind... heck, they might even join in!

Also, here's one take on the new brand, based on the Scumbag Steve Internet Meme:
http://i.imgur.com/MBvo9.jpg

manny_santos
Feb 1, 2012, 6:52 PM
Ultimately while they are an educational institution, which ought to be the primary function, it seems to have take a back seat to raise and making money by any means necessary. This name change is no exception, its a marketing ploy to promote and expand the UWO brand globally to increase international enrolment and revenues. Money > Education.

[...]

It doesn't have to be that way though. If we had a public university system like many other countries, there would be far less need to suck money out of students, as the government would pay for their education. Plus, students could focus more on their education without having to worry about part-time jobs, they wouldn't be faced with crippling debts upon graduation, and could invest in things like cars and houses sooner.

It really disheartens me how post-secondary educational institutions in Canada and the United States are more about money than education. But I don't blame them...I blame our provincial and federal governments.

MolsonExport
Feb 1, 2012, 7:33 PM
I know Molson's true identity (from the one and only London meetup), but I'll be nice and keep it a secret.

Interesting proposal. I'll contact some of my friends that are TAs in the geography department and see if they can get on board. I'm sure the profs won't mind... heck, they might even join in!

Also, here's one take on the new brand, based on the Scumbag Steve Internet Meme:
http://i.imgur.com/MBvo9.jpg

:jester::jester::jester::jester:

Scumbag Steve!!! I love it!!!

You should send that to "The Gazette"

Simpseatles
Feb 2, 2012, 3:17 AM
Wow, One more reason for me NOT to go to Western...University...of Canada...in Ontario...specifically London!:D

In all seriousness this is a very unfortunate rebranding, and it should not be allowed to represent an otherwise great school. The tower was classic, and perhaps one of the only recognizable landmarks in our city thanks to the logo. And I'm not even gonna start with the new name or whatever. Screw what anybody else says, I'm still going to call it U.W.O. and I'm sure most other people will too.

MolsonExport
Feb 2, 2012, 1:28 PM
The most asinine rebranding since the ill-fated Tropicana disaster. UWO on the left, "Western U" on the right.

http://static7.businessinsider.com/image/4bb4ee5a7f8b9a5169f70c00/tropicana-carton-redesign.jpg
Business insider

Check out the lastest (Feb 2) edition of "Western News". The letters to the Editor are very negative regarding the rebranding, particularly the name of the university.

Alumni: We need your help to put pressure on the Admin to reconsider. The name change MUST be reversed.

Underground100
Feb 2, 2012, 2:02 PM
Such a ridiculous re-branding. They wasted $200,000 on some shield that looks like McGill's? You don't see Fanshawe re-branding themselves as Funshawe. (I go to Fanshawe) Such a laughable marketing strategy to throw out tradition.

The Western Memes page on Facebook has so many of them relating to this. Hilarious.

^ Nice Tropicana comparison :jester:

manny_santos
Feb 2, 2012, 9:24 PM
The most asinine rebranding since the ill-fated Tropicana disaster. UWO on the left, "Western U" on the right.
http://static7.businessinsider.com/image/4bb4ee5a7f8b9a5169f70c00/tropicana-carton-redesign.jpg
Business insider

There was also that white Coke can last Fall, which garnered sharp criticism. Imagine how angry someone was when they thought they were buying Diet Coke and discovered they had just drunk a can of sugar.

The Western News refers to the comments as "the good, the bad, and the downright silly". Virtually all of the comments were bad; I only saw one truly positive comment. I didn't find any of them "silly" either. Some of the comments were even from professors.

Oh, "Light Orange Juice Beverage"? When another word is added on like that, are we to believe it isn't pure orange juice? Just like "cheese product" or "pork product".

Wharn
Feb 3, 2012, 3:22 AM
The Western News refers to the comments as "the good, the bad, and the downright silly". Virtually all of the comments were bad; I only saw one truly positive comment. I didn't find any of them "silly" either. Some of the comments were even from professors.

And the only positive comment came from someone who sounded like a parroting dolt. There were a few moderate comments written along the lines of "we don't really care, but this was still unecessary". It is very unusual to see almost uniformly negative reaction, so maybe the administration is getting the message by now? They should treat the $200,000 as a sunk cost. It is irrelevant to any future decisions.

manny_santos
Feb 3, 2012, 5:17 AM
And the only positive comment came from someone who sounded like a parroting dolt. There were a few moderate comments written along the lines of "we don't really care, but this was still unecessary". It is very unusual to see almost uniformly negative reaction, so maybe the administration is getting the message by now? They should treat the $200,000 as a sunk cost. It is irrelevant to any future decisions.

It's a cost that could've been used for scholarships. Like, 100 $2000 scholarships.

MolsonExport
Feb 3, 2012, 2:33 PM
If the 200K should cause them to realize how valuable our UWO (the REAL name of our school) brand is, and if--due to the ensuing outcry over the utterly stupid rebranding--they should do a 180 degree flop and change everything back as before, I would consider it money well spent (you can be sure if they do flop, that our original name and perhaps logo would be safe from the Chakmeister and future Presidents for at least a decade).

MolsonExport
Feb 9, 2012, 1:51 PM
The Economist on Rebranding. Chakma would be wise to read it.:

Logoland
Why consumers balk at companies’ efforts to rebrand themselves
Schumpeter. Jan 13th 2011 | from the print edition

[...]
Starbucks wants to join the small club of companies that are so recognisable they can rely on nothing but a symbol: Nike and its swoosh; McDonald’s and its golden arches; Playboy and its bunny; Apple and its apple. The danger is that it will join the much larger class of companies that have tried to change their logos only to be forced to backtrack by an electronic lynch mob.

As soon as the change was mooted, bloggers started blogging and tweeters began to tweet. Starbucks.com has been inundated with complaints, such as “focus on your core business and forget this foolishness”. Fox News, not normally an authority on corporate marketing strategy, has likened the proposal to Prince’s decision, in 1993, to swap his name for an unpronounceable symbol, an action he reversed seven years later. The protesters have plenty of success stories to inspire their efforts. Gap, a clothing retailer, abandoned a new logo in October after a week of concentrated online hazing. Tropicana (which tried to replace its straw-in-an-orange logo with a picture of a glass of orange juice) and Britain’s Royal Mail (which renamed itself Consignia) held out a bit longer but eventually had to retreat.

Why do people get so upset about such changes? An obvious reason is that so many logos and names are either pig ugly or linguistically challenged. Think of BT’s “piper” logo, which looked like someone drinking a yard of ale and disfigured all things BT-related for 12 years (admittedly, Britain’s incumbent telecoms firm was not too popular to begin with); or the SciFi channel’s decision to call itself SyFy—a name that raises the spectre of syphilis.

Moreover, the people who spend their lives creating new logos and brand names have a peculiar weakness for management drivel. Marka Hansen, Gap’s president for North America, defended the firm’s new logo (three letters and a little blue square) with a lot of guff about “our journey to make Gap more relevant to our customers”. The Arnell Group explained its $1m redesign of Pepsi’s logo with references to the “golden ratio” and “gravitational pull”, arguing that “going back-to-the-roots moves the brand forward as it changes the trajectory of the future”.

[...]
Read more here: http://www.economist.com/node/17900472

yeah, the stupid pepsi makeover is the epitome of stupidity. I have the complete 50-page report. Utter management drivel. Typical MBA crap: Jack of all trades, master of none.

I heard that IVEY was the impetus behind the changes, only to reject the new logo and retain their own. There are two universities here: Ivey and the Rest of us, and only the first one seems to count.

Wharn
Feb 10, 2012, 5:36 AM
I heard that IVEY was the impetus behind the changes, only to reject the new logo and retain their own. There are two universities here: Ivey and the Rest of us, and only the first one seems to count.

If that's true, then they're awfully clueless for a group that purports to be the preeminent "experts" in business strategy and management.

manny_santos
Feb 10, 2012, 11:34 PM
If that's true, then they're awfully clueless for a group that purports to be the preeminent "experts" in business strategy and management.

Ivey is not all it's cracked up to be. I've heard from both business professionals and Ivey graduates that Ivey does not properly prepare its students for the real world. I know of at least one professional through my father that fired three Ivey students from an internship on their first day, because they were completely clueless about business.

I find that many people that go to Ivey are very pretentious, feel a sense of self-entitlement, and a sense of superiority to everyone else. Those are not the kinds of characters I'd want working for me. Definitely not all Ivey students though, I wouldn't automatically throw out a resume with Ivey on it.

From what I've heard, the quality of education at Ivey was top-notch in the 1990s, but has steadily gone downhill since 2000.

Wharn
Feb 11, 2012, 4:32 AM
Ivey is not all it's cracked up to be. I've heard from both business professionals and Ivey graduates that Ivey does not properly prepare its students for the real world. I know of at least one professional through my father that fired three Ivey students from an internship on their first day, because they were completely clueless about business.

I find that many people that go to Ivey are very pretentious, feel a sense of self-entitlement, and a sense of superiority to everyone else. Those are not the kinds of characters I'd want working for me. Definitely not all Ivey students though, I wouldn't automatically throw out a resume with Ivey on it.

From what I've heard, the quality of education at Ivey was top-notch in the 1990s, but has steadily gone downhill since 2000.

Three in a day? Are you sure about that?

My dad was talking about a slightly ditzy Ivey intern at his office, and she lasted almost two months before being let go. You'd have to be ultra-clueless to be fired by the end of the day, either that or the employer would have to expect you to perform miracles.

I know a few Ivey people, it seems to be a pretty even split between normal, likeable people and the Kevin O'Leary wannabes. Some of them even poke fun at the supposed pretentiousness; one of my friends always jokes about having to "de-douche" himself once he's over and done with it.

MolsonExport
Feb 15, 2012, 2:54 PM
I know a few Ivey people, it seems to be a pretty even split between normal, likeable people and the Kevin O'Leary wannabes. Some of them even poke fun at the supposed pretentiousness; one of my friends always jokes about having to "de-douche" himself once he's over and done with it.

Bang-on with the impression of Ivey students. Especially the need for de-doucheing.

Underground100
Mar 16, 2012, 2:17 PM
Not sure where to put this, but I am considering doing Urban Planning (at Fanshawe) after I'm done my diploma in Accounting. I was wondering if anyone on here was or currently is taking it. As well, how do you like it and what kind of preparations are needed (I'm not the biggest artsy student out there, that pretty much it)

manny_santos
Mar 16, 2012, 11:39 PM
Not sure where to put this, but I am considering doing Urban Planning (at Fanshawe) after I'm done my diploma in Accounting. I was wondering if anyone on here was or currently is taking it. As well, how do you like it and what kind of preparations are needed (I'm not the biggest artsy student out there, that pretty much it)

I'm not familiar with Fanshawe's urban planning program but a friend of mine completed the graduate GIS program a couple of years ago. You don't need any background in geography to take that program, nor do you need to be "artsy". I applied for that program and was given an offer but I decided to accept my other offer from Fanshawe in the business school.

Snark
Mar 17, 2012, 3:30 PM

There's nothing very artsy about planning, so you have nothing to worry about. Geography and/or GIS would be an asset, but unlikely to be a prerequisite. At an everyday functional level, planning is a pretty nuts and bolts function. Unless you are fortunate enough to be developing new policy or master plans, it's pretty much about following existing rules, procedures, and policies.

Underground100
Mar 17, 2012, 8:19 PM
I'm not familiar with Fanshawe's urban planning program but a friend of mine completed the graduate GIS program a couple of years ago. You don't need any background in geography to take that program, nor do you need to be "artsy". I applied for that program and was given an offer but I decided to accept my other offer from Fanshawe in the business school.

There's nothing very artsy about planning, so you have nothing to worry about. Geography and/or GIS would be an asset, but unlikely to be a prerequisite. At an everyday functional level, planning is a pretty nuts and bolts function. Unless you are fortunate enough to be developing new policy or master plans, it's pretty much about following existing rules, procedures, and policies.

Thanks for the tips; they will definitely help me in deciding. I've been thinking about switching over for a while now, so this definitely helps!

go_leafs_go02
Mar 18, 2012, 4:11 AM

Fanshawe offers this course that would be perfect that combines Urban Planning and GIS.

I took it for a few months, before realizing I was more suited for Civil Engineering.

http://www.fanshawec.ca/programs-courses/full-time-programs/urp2

MolsonExport
Mar 27, 2012, 4:33 PM
UWO's rebranding made curmudgeons out of its students and alumni

http://landmarkreport.com/andrew/2012/02/uwos-rebranding-made-curmudgeons-out-of-its-students-and-alumni

VP K Goldthorpe's perspective

http://www.cbc.ca/ontariomorning/episodes/2012/01/27/uwo-now-known-as-western-university/

Paul Wells and great commentary from readers: http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2012/01/26/thats-western-university-to-you/

Wharn
Mar 27, 2012, 9:33 PM
:previous: All valid but rather old articles. 56 days ago? January 26th-27th?

It looks like you were right, Molson. Nobody cares about this once it's a few weeks down the line, and I'll be it was strategically introduced when students would be busy with exams and essays so they wouldn't be able to fight back. Unfortunately I'm also guilty of this, I always meant to start a petition but I could just never find the time to do it.

Do you still have the old Tower logo on your wall?

MolsonExport
Mar 28, 2012, 12:39 AM
yep, still on my door. Fighting the good fight, but without much enthusiasm. Admin will surely not relent unless alumni decline financial support. The dust has already settled. I tried to find more recent articles worth posting, and came up empty.