PDA

View Full Version : Les Terrasses Francesca [1425 Vanier Pkwy] | 51m | up to 15f | Completed

Yroc
May 23, 2009, 8:59 PM
This project has yet to be announced officially as far as I know. From what I know of it, it is supposed to be a 12 story and 8 story building at the site linked below.

Public Meeting being held at 7:30 on Monday at the Hampton.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.422729,-75.660433&spn=0.002703,0.003363&t=h&z=18

I would hope they have a plan for traffic, Prestland is already terrible in the summer and wicked in the winter. Only thing I can see as an option would be opening up the entry that is nearby on the Vanier parkway (walking only right now), and closing off Presland to thru traffic on the far side of Renout.

rocketphish
May 25, 2009, 7:47 PM
Ottawa residents petition against east-end development
Last Updated: Monday, May 25, 2009 | 3:27 PM ET

A group of residents in Ottawa's Overbrook community are fighting against a housing development that could soon be coming to their east-end neighbourhood.

Groupe Lépine, a development company, recently sent a flyer out to Overbrook residents announcing it's holding a public meeting Monday night to talk about its plans for the site at Presland Road.

The site is currently home to a convent and daycare, but neighbours have heard that the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary are in talks with the developer.

Reports said Groupe Lépine's plan is to build one eight-storey and one 12-storey apartment building on the site.

"Our concern is that this is completely out of character with the neighbourhood, which is mostly single-family dwellings and town homes," said Scott Richardson, who has lived in the neighbourhood for eight years.

The invitation to the public meeting, Richardson said, comes too late in the process.

"We're upset that we haven't been included. We're upset that the community council wasn't included, which to us was absolutely essential," he said.

Jacques Legendre, the councillor for Rideau-Rockliffe, however, said the developer is working to include members of the community in the process.

"There has to be a first meeting and this happens to be it," said Legendre.

"The people are upset that they didn't know about [the development] before. This is the first [meeting]."

A petition could be premature so early in the process, said Legendre.

"I haven't seen the petition," he said. "I don't know what the petition asks and I don't know if the petitioners have a good sense of what the project entails."

Richardson said he plans to attend Monday's meeting, along with his neighbours, to present the petition to Groupe Lépine and to show their commitment to their community.

"We've been scrambling, you know. I gave up Leonard Cohen tickets tonight to make the meeting," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2009/05/25/ottawa-overbrook-development-protest.html

Yroc
May 26, 2009, 2:51 AM
Two buildings being proposed... One running along the Vanier parkway, another running along Prestland (big green area in the back between the two buildings). Each building will be 10 stories (33 metres) high.

They will become 333 high end rental units managed by Lepine.

Entry to the complex is proposed to be from the Vanier Parkway exclusively. As a result, it will not add to the nightmare that is the current Presland.

I personally think it will be a plus for the neighbourhood overall, although most in attendance would not agree with me in that regard. Concerns primarily were in relation to the building height and the additional parking issues it will create nearby.

They had plans displayed, but I forgot my camera. I am sure they will post something soon or they will make an official application to the city at which point we can get them.

Richard Eade
May 26, 2009, 1:11 PM
Two buildings being proposed... One running along the Vanier parkway, another running along Prestland (big green area in the back between the two buildings). Each building will be 10 stories (33 metres) high.

They will become 333 high end rental units managed by Lepine.

Entry to the complex is proposed to be from the Vanier Parkway exclusively. As a result, it will not add to the nightmare that is the current Presland.

I personally think it will be a plus for the neighbourhood overall, although most in attendance would not agree with me in that regard. Concerns primarily were in relation to the building height and the additional parking issues it will create nearby.

They had plans displayed, but I forgot my camera. I am sure they will post something soon or they will make an official application to the city at which point we can get them.
What are they thinking??? If the City allows private accesses to be built onto the Vanier Parkway then it is time to fire City Staff!:koko:

AuxTown
May 26, 2009, 1:43 PM
How and why is Presland currently a "Nightmare". It's a tiny street that comes from nowhere and goes nowhere. I guess just because Vanier isn't as desirable of a neighbourhood as the Glebe, Westboro, Centretown doesn't mean the NIMBYs won't be out in full force. In fact, Vanier has a very large population of old farts who remember the city of Vanier as a backwards little French enclave in the middle of Ottawa and would love to keep it that way. I want to see some traffic models and statistics before we start writing this one off as not practical. Direct access to Vanier should not (and I hope will not) be an option so close to Coventry, RCMP, and Queen Mary.

jcollins
May 26, 2009, 2:47 PM
What are they thinking??? If the City allows private accesses to be built onto the Vanier Parkway then it is time to fire City Staff!:koko:

Exactly! Wouldn't the entrance be just after the intersection? I can just see traffic problems now :no:

Yroc
May 26, 2009, 3:16 PM
The entrance would be the existing light that is between Prestland and W Prestland (you can only use the light to walk across right now) on the Vanier parkway.

Presland is a nigthmare because it is too narrow imo. Added to the issue is its a long road without a stop sign. Folks are permitted to park on the south side of the road, however the road is only wide enough for 2 cars (not 3). Add to this, the fact that its a bicycle route and a bunch of kids in the area and your just waiting for a tragedy. Top this off with snow and snowbanks and you have a nightmare.

There are no easy solutions for Presland imo. The parking is needed as they built too many medium density housing units in the area without allowing enough parking (they are now about to add to this as the new building will only have 7 visitor parking spots). The bike route, fits within the larger plan, hence that must remain.

I am personally hoping the city will split the road in two ... making traffic east of Renout flow east to the new light and traffic west of that street flow west to Lola. This would at least decrease the over all volume on the road.

I agree that the NIMBY force were out in force. At the same time that everyone understands we need more density in housing, they dont want that dense housing near.

I personally have no issue with this new build but I am hoping the city will use the opportunity to solve (as much as possible) the Presland traffic issues.

Yroc
Jun 9, 2009, 3:48 PM
The site is lot 127:

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac97/yrocmorf/Vanier-Presland.jpg

Yroc
May 11, 2010, 4:17 PM
Public Meeting

Group Lepine provides you notice of a public meeting to discuss the development of a multi residential property on the corner of the Vanier Parkway and Presland Road.

During the meeting consultants in urban planning and traffic engineers from Group Lepine will be in attendance to present the project and will be available to answer questions that many arise. Your representative on City Council, Mr. Jacques Legendre, will also be present. The meeting will be held in both official languages.

Date: Tuesday May 18, 2010
Place: Hampton Inn, 200 Coventry Rd, Ottawa
Time: 19:30 to 21:00

Brainbug
May 21, 2010, 1:19 PM
Apologies on the blurry-cellphone pics

It appears Lepine group are still attempting to get city approval for a stoplight on the Vanier Parkway solely for the apartment complex.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/5392/artistaerial.th.jpg (http://img541.imageshack.us/i/artistaerial.jpg/)http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/9915/artistrendering01.th.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/i/artistrendering01.jpg/)http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5751/artistrendering02.th.jpg (http://img203.imageshack.us/i/artistrendering02.jpg/)http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2100/sketchaerial.th.jpg (http://img40.imageshack.us/i/sketchaerial.jpg/)http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5294/unitoverview.th.jpg (http://img62.imageshack.us/i/unitoverview.jpg/)

kwoldtimer
May 22, 2010, 12:02 AM
That is really weird. I guess it would satisfy neighbourhood concerns about increased traffic, but to open an intersection right where the original street was closed off to the Parkway just seems wrong to me. At most I could see some sort of right turn only entrance/exit, but that would seem hazardous given the speed of traffic and the curve of the Parkway along that stretch.

Brainbug
May 22, 2010, 4:09 PM
I would hope that the city agrees with you and tries to maintain the flow of traffic along the parkway. Why inconvenience all commuters for the sake of 330?

Some of the other ideas were:

1. A entrance/exit link to Queen Mary
2. Split Presland so the East half connects to Lola and the West half connects through Whitton. i.e. Can no longer get to the West half of Presland without going down Queen Mary.

However these all increase the number of cars going down Queen Mary and I don't remember any discussion on changing that.

Cre47
Feb 11, 2011, 2:51 PM
Presland Road development will go forward, city says

Re-zoning application is currently on hold. The Overbrook community remains uncertain whether the development plans for the proposal to convert the Presland Road convent into a 307 unit apartment building meet the concerns of the residents in the neighbourhood. file photo

An application to convert a convent on 127 Presland Rd. to a 307 unit apartment building is under review, but the city says they plan to move forward with the development.

Details on the city’s website state the application is currently on hold, however the city is currently reviewing the application through its various committees and departments, adding comments and concerns to the application.

City spokeswoman Jocelyn Turner said the development is indeed still happening despite the current status of the application.

“The intention is to still go forward,” she said.

The convent, which houses a Roman Catholic order of the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of Mary, is going through an application process to convert the building into two eight-storey towers with a lower four and six-storey section by developer Group Lepine.

City staff from infrastructure, planning, public works and environmental committees will be adding their observations to the application.

“They all review the application and provide comments,” Turner said.

The proposal for the new apartment building has sparked community opposition on a number of issues, including a campaign complete with a website, www.saveoverbrook.com. The campaign has been organized by Scott Richardson, who lives on Prince Albert Street, which is directly behind where the proposed development will be built. Robertson indicated he would rather see a house-oriented development instead of the apartment building being proposed.

Sheila Perry, president of the Overbrook Community Council, said the community has kept a close eye on the application and so far have not seen many changes.

“We still have major questions and remain not satisfactory at the moment,” Perry said.

She also noted that the application process is far from complete in the community’s eyes.

“Changes have been posted as the application process continues, but it is all tentative,” Perry added.

One of the main concerns the community has is the traffic flow. The building proposes parking for 205 residential parking spaces with 98 visitor parking spots. The building will be placed to take advantage of the Vanier Parkway, a road Perry said is already too congested. She said she believes the proposal needs to better address this issue.

“We are just not seeing any significant movement on these issues,” Perry said.

Turner said the review process could take a few weeks to a few months.

With files from Laura Mueller

reidjr
Feb 11, 2011, 3:06 PM
I am confused has this been approved or not?

Cre47
Feb 11, 2011, 3:10 PM
Still on-hold, but as it sounds like the city would like to have this going ahead, so an approval might be soon on this one.

c_speed3108
Feb 11, 2011, 6:26 PM
In related news Group Lapine sold it's fairly new rental building at North River and Washington back in the summer.

waterloowarrior
Mar 3, 2011, 11:02 PM
Rezoning application reactivated
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__74OYPX

Overbrook opposes development despite changes
http://www.yourottawaregion.com/news/article/958818--overbrook-opposes-development-despite-changes

Residents feel changes were not heard. Residents continue to battle the city and developers on the development of 127 Presland Rd. Residents hoped previous consultations would change the design and development of the building but at a recent information session with developer, Lepine, they feel there still needs to be significant changes for the community to welcome the development. photo submitted

Overbrook residents are expressing concerns that a developer and the city failed to listen to the community’s input concerning the design plan for a 307 unit apartment building on Presland Road.

An information session was held on Feb. 17 at St. Peter and St. Paul Church in Overbrook. Group Lepine’s urban planner, Nancy Meloshe, presented the new changes to the building, but residents did not like what they saw. The building, which in the original plans was 12 storeys (10 storeys in the lower section) and contained 335 units, has been modified down to eight storeys (four storeys in the lower section) with 307 units. The building will also be brought up right to the edge of Presland Road.

“We wanted less, not more,” nearby resident Nadia McDonald said, referring to the structure being moved to the edge of the street.

The property currently has a convent which houses a Roman Catholic order of the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of Mary. Group Lepine is going through the application process to convert the building into two eight-storey towers with a lower four and six-storey section, a height residents do not want.

McDonald lives on Prince Albert Street, which the building will back on to, and is concerned she will have no privacy.

Meloshe indicated the changes from the previous design are generous and will now allow for 10 metres around the building. Bringing the structure closer to the street, Meloshe said, reflected the look of the neighbourhood; however residents at the meeting were not happy with the changes and didn’t agree with Meloshe’s assessment.

McDonald indicated she wasn’t impressed with the building moving so close to the street.

Rideau-Rockcliffe Ward Coun. Peter Clark told his constituents that to fight the developers may not be the best way, instead encouraging them to try and work to make the building reflect the neighbourhood.

“It is going to happen, the building is coming,” Clark said.

Clark added he will be sitting down with city planners to discuss the other main issue residents had: the new plans will now offer street access to apartment dwellers on Presland Street. Homeowner Melissa Grant, who lives in the last townhouse on Presland across from the proposed development, was not happy with this new development.

“Right now we already have an issue with traffic. You told us it wouldn’t happen and here it is,” Grant said.

Regardless of any traffic study or neighbourhood study, Grant said she feels that cars will park on the street because it offers the residents of the proposed apartments direct access to their homes. Grant’s husband Adrian calls himself the parking police and has forever been battling the issue of parking on the street. This new design plan makes him worry the situation will get worse.

“I shuttle family members back and forth from the Canadian Tire parking lot to avoid breaking the bylaw when they come over, but I doubt others will do the same,” Adrian Grant said.

Traffic is a huge concern for the community. The proposed development will only have access to the Vanier Parkway, which is already inundated with fast moving cars. Meloshe confirmed no added traffic would come through Presland Road because it will remain a dead-end street. A new left turning lane will be built for those going south onto the parkway, while a right turning lane will be put in place for those going north.

According to a traffic study, the building will add no more than 125 vehicles between the hours of 7 a.m. and 9 a.m.

“Right now we already have an issue with traffic, this building will just be adding to the problem,” said Joanne Lockyer, vice-president of the Overbrook Community Council.

President of the Overbrook Community Council, Sheila Perry urged residents to submit their concerns in writing before the deadline of Thursday, Feb. 24.

“We need to fight this together, as a community council, we can’t do it alone. We need you,” Perry said.

Once the application for re-zoning is complete, the application will go before the planning committee on March 29. Perry informed residents that she did confirm from Meloshe that the sale of 127 Presland is still a conditional sale. For residents, this offered a little hope, as most of the concerned homeowners in the area hope the convent will be used for other needs in the community.

reidjr
Apr 26, 2011, 10:38 PM
OTTAWA — A new 300-apartment complex in Overbrook got the thumbs up from council’s planning committee on Tuesday, despite opposition from about a dozen public delegates.

Groupe Lépine plans to develop a U-shaped building at 127 Presland Rd., with frontage on Vanier Parkway. It replaces three buildings on the site that were once owned by Les Soeurs Franciscaines Missionaires de Marie de l’Ontario, an order of Catholic nuns.

Like virtually every intensification project of late, residents and community groups expressed concern that the proposed development was too high and too dense, making it incompatible with the surrounding area of mostly single-family homes and a few low-rise apartment buildings.

Joshua Moon, who represented the owners of a 3½-storey apartment building at 161 Presland Rd., complained of the lack of “appealing architecture” of the design of the site and called for “a do-over.”

Lépine originally proposed heights of 12 storeys across the entire site, but city staff worked to get that down to a maximum of nine storeys.

During Tuesday’s meeting, Councillor Jan Harder moved a motion that further tweaked the heights and density of the complex. The part of the building adjacent to Vanier Parkway will rise to 10 storeys, while some other parts of the complex would come down to seven storeys. The changes should cause the number of units to fall, possibly by 15 units, according to the developer, for a total of about 292.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Planning+committee+approves+apartments+Overbrook+convent+site/4677667/story.html#ixzz1KfgsqgTk

S-Man
Apr 27, 2011, 2:04 AM
Having had a friend that lived on Presland, I'm not sure what small-town heritage charm they were trying to protect. That said, it seems that even with concessions and reductions in height and density, it's 'our way or the highway' for Ottawa residents opposed to a development. I think three decades of a stagnant core and explosively sprawling suburbs have convinced inner-city dwellers that that is the way to go to build a city and house a growing population. When asked what kind of intensification they'd like to see on inner-city parking lots and abandoned development sites, it invariably comes back: two storey houses. We'll house the city's population - without contributing to sprawl mind you - by building a few houses on every high-profile, valuable piece of downtown land. They'll be super-expensive luxury homes, too...

It amazes me when I read reader comments on news articles like this chastizing the developer and the city for their greed. Apparently every house that should have been built inside the greenbelt has been built already (like, say, in 1970), so the only place to put new ones where they won't bother anyone or destroy precious greenspace is in the suburbs and country, where we can't see the destruction. Out of sight, out of mind.

Oh, and the city shouldn't be in the money-making business - we're against that. It's immoral. No, we just want the city to give us (and pay for) whatever we ask for, all the while building roads and sewers to the rapidly-expanding outskirts where the new people will live in low-density heaven, far away from us, and to never raise our taxes. THAT'S how a city should be run. We have it all figured out...but for some reason no city has ever adopted such a perfect planning policy.

A friend of mine is convinced 50% of Ottawa's population is clinically delusional, and I'm increasingly inclined to believe her.

reidjr
Apr 27, 2011, 9:15 AM
Having had a friend that lived on Presland, I'm not sure what small-town heritage charm they were trying to protect. That said, it seems that even with concessions and reductions in height and density, it's 'our way or the highway' for Ottawa residents opposed to a development. I think three decades of a stagnant core and explosively sprawling suburbs have convinced inner-city dwellers that that is the way to go to build a city and house a growing population. When asked what kind of intensification they'd like to see on inner-city parking lots and abandoned development sites, it invariably comes back: two storey houses. We'll house the city's population - without contributing to sprawl mind you - by building a few houses on every high-profile, valuable piece of downtown land. They'll be super-expensive luxury homes, too...

It amazes me when I read reader comments on news articles like this chastizing the developer and the city for their greed. Apparently every house that should have been built inside the greenbelt has been built already (like, say, in 1970), so the only place to put new ones where they won't bother anyone or destroy precious greenspace is in the suburbs and country, where we can't see the destruction. Out of sight, out of mind.

Oh, and the city shouldn't be in the money-making business - we're against that. It's immoral. No, we just want the city to give us (and pay for) whatever we ask for, all the while building roads and sewers to the rapidly-expanding outskirts where the new people will live in low-density heaven, far away from us, and to never raise our taxes. THAT'S how a city should be run. We have it all figured out...but for some reason no city has ever adopted such a perfect planning policy.

A friend of mine is convinced 50% of Ottawa's population is clinically delusional, and I'm increasingly inclined to believe her.

It all comes down to some not all but some aginst the city growing if anything some would love to see ottawa decrease in size and have every one live in tents.

adam-machiavelli
Apr 27, 2011, 4:40 PM
^^^

You know, I'm sure that if we tore down every modernist bungalow inside the Greenbelt and replaced each with 2 semi-detached dwellings, we'd be able to fit every resident of Kanata, Barrhaven, and Orleans inside the Greenbelt.

citizen j
Apr 27, 2011, 5:35 PM
As someone on here once put it (I can't remember who but it sounds like something Uhuniau would have said), a significant number of people are opposed to everything but the construction of their own homes. I wonder at what point in Ottawa's maturation process will the city reach a kind of critical mass in its collective mentality and start accepting (if not embracing) widespread infill and intensification as a necessary thing? So many are willing to fly the sustainability banner so long as the flagpole is planted in another part of town.

reidjr
Apr 27, 2011, 5:37 PM
^^^

You know, I'm sure that if we tore down every modernist bungalow inside the Greenbelt and replaced each with 2 semi-detached dwellings, we'd be able to fit every resident of Kanata, Barrhaven, and Orleans inside the Greenbelt.

If you take the population of nepean/kanata/orleans that is about 200.000 so it would be tight.

OttSenators
Apr 27, 2011, 7:08 PM
If you take the population of nepean/kanata/orleans that is about 200.000 so it would be tight.

More than that. There is over 100,000 in Orleans alone.

S-Man
Apr 27, 2011, 10:04 PM
The problem is that most people are greedy and selfish (to varying degrees), but want to be seen as the opposite. Which is why we have widespread support of intensification as an ideology, but rampant protest over intensification in practice.
"How many infill developments big and small are protested by residents and "community associations" in this city? 100% of them? If you disagree, please provide an example of where this didn't happen, because I can't think of one.
As i told Ken Gray on his "blog" not too long ago, the practice of intensification is what limits sprawl, not claiming to support it while trying to prevent it in real life. Real action is what counts, not hollow ideology.

Problem is, everyone wants to dictate what everyone else does, and what everyone else builds, and our notion of 'quality of life' has become wildly skewed. Nowadays in Ottawa, even the sight, far off in the distance, of the very top of a building poking up over the horizon, counts as being overwhelmed and 'impacted' by a development. People protest at planning committee about this impact on their quality of life. Having to see the top two storeys of a building two kilometres away. Doesn't matter that there's already 5 or 6 already in existence and within sight, this one in particular will ruin their life.
There was once a time when this bothered (on average) much fewer people. Why the change, I wonder? Too few things to worry and complain about?

I think we've become so coddled that reality is no longer a companion to many people around here.

ServiceGuy
Apr 28, 2011, 12:12 AM
S-Man... I disagree with many of your posts but I think you are "spot on" (as my grandfather would say) with this one. :cheers:

reidjr
Apr 28, 2011, 5:51 PM
The problem is that most people are greedy and selfish (to varying degrees), but want to be seen as the opposite. Which is why we have widespread support of intensification as an ideology, but rampant protest over intensification in practice.
"How many infill developments big and small are protested by residents and "community associations" in this city? 100% of them? If you disagree, please provide an example of where this didn't happen, because I can't think of one.
As i told Ken Gray on his "blog" not too long ago, the practice of intensification is what limits sprawl, not claiming to support it while trying to prevent it in real life. Real action is what counts, not hollow ideology.

Problem is, everyone wants to dictate what everyone else does, and what everyone else builds, and our notion of 'quality of life' has become wildly skewed. Nowadays in Ottawa, even the sight, far off in the distance, of the very top of a building poking up over the horizon, counts as being overwhelmed and 'impacted' by a development. People protest at planning committee about this impact on their quality of life. Having to see the top two storeys of a building two kilometres away. Doesn't matter that there's already 5 or 6 already in existence and within sight, this one in particular will ruin their life.
There was once a time when this bothered (on average) much fewer people. Why the change, I wonder? Too few things to worry and complain about?

I think we've become so coddled that reality is no longer a companion to many people around here.

What some fail to understand is you need devlopement those acting like ottawa has to much really need to look at places such as toronto.

S-Man
Apr 29, 2011, 4:23 AM
I fear I've become a grumpy curmudgeon before my time! ; )

This story died a quick death in the media as soon as the Barrhaven water ban hit the news. That's a reaction that for the most part, is in keeping with the ideologies of the people I described above....

A neighbour of mine back in my childhood always had a rain barrel to water things with, and it certainly didn't cost him much to have a garden hose back them. Thing was always full though. Wonder if it rained more during my childhood.

I digress......

waterloowarrior
Sep 28, 2011, 1:42 AM
appealed to the OMB... there's a motion, maybe this one will be over fast
http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/ecs/CaseDetail.aspx?n=PL110613

waterloowarrior
Oct 1, 2011, 1:36 PM
http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ms_august2011.htm

Finally, the last major transaction was the sale of 127 & 145 Presland Road. The property sold to 145 Presland Road Inc. from Institut des Franciscaines Missionaires de Marie d'Ontario for $2,500,000 or $20/sf. The land is currently improved but the purchaser intends to redevelop the property with a 307-unit four to eight-storey condominium apartment building.

amanfromnowhere
Oct 27, 2011, 7:02 PM
ended up with 5 storeys?

From DCN:
APARTMENT BUILDING Proj: 9136206-2
Ottawa, Ottawa-Carleton Reg ON
Les Terrasses Francesca, 127 Presland Rd, K1K 3S9
$40,000,000 est
Start: October, 2011 Complete: June, 2013
Note: Working drawings are underway. General contractor will secure main sub trades by invitation. However, some sub trades may be tendered. For more info, please, contact the owner at fwillson@GroupeLepine.com. Further update early 2012.
Project: concrete tilt-up structural frame, structural steel frame, electric heating system, proposed construction of U-shaped apartment building at the former Les Soeurs Franciscaines Missionaires de Marie de l'Ontario convent site.
Scope: 350,000 square feet; 5 storeys; 299 units; parking for 300 cars
Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs

source (http://www.dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=acfcb67f51c9b8b15ef5f21f44004a42c9fe71de&projectid=9136206&region=ontario)

Cre47
Oct 27, 2011, 7:05 PM
ended up with 5 storeys?

From DCN:

source (http://www.dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=acfcb67f51c9b8b15ef5f21f44004a42c9fe71de&projectid=9136206&region=ontario)

Oh for Pete's sake, another bland building because of NIMBY's.

S-Man
Oct 27, 2011, 7:23 PM
Well, there's already such a glut of new rental buildings being built, this one would just be overkill...:rolleyes:

McC
Oct 28, 2011, 1:05 PM
I never understood the need for more parking spaces than units in a rental building in such a central location...

waterloowarrior
Jan 12, 2012, 12:11 AM
settled at the OMB.. increased setbacks for a neighbouring property owner
http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions/pl110613-Nov-10-2011.pdf

waterloowarrior
Apr 26, 2012, 9:32 PM
Proposed Roadway Modications
Pursuant to By-law No. 2006–483, the City of Ottawa is providing notice to the public of its intention to approve road modifications at the following locations in accordance with the authority under By-law No. 2011-28:

Presland Road at Vanier Parkway
• New traffic control signal
• New northbound right-turn lane
• New sidewalks and pathways
• New cycling lanes

For more information, please contact:

Mike Giampa, P.Eng.
Planning and Growth Management Department
Tel: 613-580-2424, ext. 23657

Any person who wishes to raise objections to the modifications must contact the City Clerk, in writing, at the address below by Friday, May 11, 2012

City Clerk
110 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 1J1

waterloowarrior
Jan 29, 2014, 5:20 PM
site plan application http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__87YDEX

Cre47
Oct 31, 2015, 4:59 PM
As of April 2015, the site was fenced off. There is a bit of construction right now on the Parkway right by the crossing with Prestland

rocketphish
Oct 31, 2015, 9:42 PM
As of April 2015, the site was fenced off. There is a bit of construction right now on the Parkway right by the crossing with Prestland

They are creating the custom road intersection with the Vanier Pkwy just for this development. And hopefully the developer is paying for it and not the City.

Capital Shaun
Nov 2, 2015, 4:14 PM
They are creating the custom road intersection with the Vanier Pkwy just for this development. And hopefully the developer is paying for it and not the City.

+1
But it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the city is paying...

rocketphish
Dec 11, 2015, 1:37 PM
There is a pile driver on site today... something is happening here.

passwordisnt123
Dec 11, 2015, 2:18 PM
My friend lives pretty much right at this intersection on the river side of Vanier and she was saying that construction was happening between 10pm and 6am for a while a couple of months ago. Kept her awake for big chunks of the night until she bought earplugs.

Anybody know why they seem to be in such a hurry with this one?

eltodesukane
Dec 11, 2015, 2:54 PM
The site is lot 127:

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac97/yrocmorf/Vanier-Presland.jpg

Some demolition already?
http://i63.tinypic.com/6zmvdf.png

rocketphish
Dec 11, 2015, 6:14 PM
Some demolition already?

Oh yes, but it's been like that for many many months.The demolition is long finished. It now seems like they're actually starting the new construction.

rocketphish
Dec 22, 2015, 12:38 AM
We seem to have lost all the linked imagery in this thread, so I'm reposting what I can find:

Groupe Lepine is developing the site at 127 Presland Rd as a residential complex called Les Terrasses Francesca.

Development of the site is proposed to be a residential apartment building with building heights stepping from 1 storey to a maximum of 15 storeys along Vanier Parkway. There are proposed to be a total of 298 residential units comprising one and two bedroom units. A mix of exterior balconies and terraces are proposed. No commercial uses are proposed on the ground floor of the building.

A pool, fitness room and reception room are proposed to be on the ground floor. Ground floor units will have walk-out terraces.

A large circular driveway is proposed at the front of the building. Vehicular access to the building will be via a new signalized access on Vanier Parkway at Presland Rd. There will be no through access to the building from Presland Rd. Cars will enter the underground garage at the front of the building. The garage ramp will be set back from the street and recessed into the site. The underground garage will have 2 levels of vehicular parking and bicycle parking will be provided on both underground levels. There will be a total of 306 parking spaces and 174 bicycle spaces. Six visitor parking spaces have been provided outside on the ground floor of the building.

Cover letter:
http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Image Referencing_Site Plan Application_Image Reference_REVISED JUL23 Cover Letter.PDF

Planning rationale:
http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Image Referencing_Site Plan Application_Image Reference_Planning Rationale D07-12-12-0128.PDF

Renderings:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5831/23870784236_61b9f514be_o.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5742/23270088983_93fdbf9197_o.jpg

Siteplan:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5676/23528992059_19de431066_o.jpg

Floorplan:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/696/23788560582_2effa33e4c_o.jpg

sestafanos
Jan 1, 2016, 7:32 PM
This can go either way. I'd push for a bit more height, but as with everything Ottawa, that's probably never going to happen. I hope they use good quality materials.

Harley613
Jan 2, 2016, 4:25 AM
Great location for a development of this scale! I bet that new 417 footbridge will get a lot more use after this is built.

rocketphish
May 2, 2016, 11:46 PM
Crane is up:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1485/26757232976_b611af8380_o.jpg
Photo by me.
May 2, 2016

rocketphish
May 16, 2016, 5:34 PM
A second tower crane was being erected this morning.

rocketphish
Aug 30, 2016, 5:02 PM
I drove past this site this morning, and the portion of the build along the Vanier Pkwy is up out of the ground. It appears that they're working on the second floor already.

Arcologist
Sep 1, 2016, 12:56 PM
I actually really really like the varied height in this design. Not sure about the colours/materials though -- I guess only time will tell.

Fineline
Sep 21, 2016, 1:08 AM
Here are some updated renderings from their new website

http://www.lesterrassesfrancesca.com

Renderings by: http://www.finelineperspectives.com

http://lesterrassesfrancesca.com/images/1213%20Gallery%20Page/Property/gallery-property2-1200x800.jpg

http://lesterrassesfrancesca.com/images/1213%20Gallery%20Page/Property/gallery-property6-1200x800.jpg

rocketphish
Sep 21, 2016, 1:46 AM
Here are some updated renderings from their new website

http://www.lesterrassesfrancesca.com

Renderings by: http://www.finelineperspectives.com

Welcome to the forum! Thanks... and nice renderings!

I've got to say though... they really dumbed this down from the earlier renderings. I liked the design before. I don't any more. Before it looked somewhat classy and modern. Now it just looks cheap.

SkeggsEggs
Sep 21, 2016, 4:22 AM
Reminds me of the two Williams Court buildings that face the highway :yuck:

Harley613
Sep 21, 2016, 5:49 AM
http://imgur.com/a/P88Q4

I stayed at the Marriot Courtyard Ottawa East last Friday, this is the latest

rocketphish
Oct 8, 2016, 2:41 PM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8750/30076293212_1246bc1eb8_b.jpg

Oct 5, 2016
Photo by me

TMA-1
Oct 18, 2016, 11:30 PM
I feel like Dr. Watson, "In reviewing my notes for the year 1895...". I can see these cranes from home and eventually put 2 and 2 together from the flight Saturday. I don't *think* it'll block my view of Spook Central once it's topped off.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8626/30380318536_ddb4b00c09_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NhB5gs)
vanier presland D828165 (https://flic.kr/p/NhB5gs) by Chuck Clark (https://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/), on Flickr

rocketphish
Dec 11, 2016, 4:52 AM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/626/31565248655_eb09eed28b_b.jpg

Dec. 6, 2016
Photo by me

rocketphish
Feb 3, 2017, 3:47 AM
I think they've reached the top:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/374/32636106556_752256a48c_b.jpg
Jan 25, 2017
Photo by me.

Harley613
Jul 6, 2017, 5:10 AM
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4139/34940826403_f37cc9918e_b.jpg

Today's Progress

FutureWickedCity
Jul 6, 2017, 3:22 PM
Nice picture! I've never seen the city from this angle.

J.OT13
Jul 11, 2017, 9:14 PM
Reminds me of the apartments at Kanata Lakes.

http://www.obj.ca/sites/default/files/styles/article_main/public/2017-03/Kanata%20Lakes.jpg?itok=IuS5IVet
http://www.obj.ca/article/groupe-lepine-sells-final-kanata-lakes-apartments-bringing-total-250m

rocketphish
Jul 12, 2017, 12:38 AM
Reminds me of the apartments at Kanata Lakes.

http://www.obj.ca/sites/default/files/styles/article_main/public/2017-03/Kanata%20Lakes.jpg?itok=IuS5IVet
http://www.obj.ca/article/groupe-lepine-sells-final-kanata-lakes-apartments-bringing-total-250m

Well, it is the same mediocre builder (or is that 'builder of mediocrity'?). Maybe they've taken a page from the Claridge playbook and started using leftover materials from their previous projects. Sure looks like it.

Harley613
Jul 12, 2017, 5:52 AM
Well, it is the same mediocre builder (or is that 'builder of mediocrity'?). Maybe they've taken a page from the Claridge playbook and started using leftover materials from their previous projects. Sure looks like it.

I'm not much for the exterior of the first building in Kanata but this project is far from mediocre. My Mom lives there and everything inside is top notch, the fitness centre is probably the best in the city, and the whole project exudes luxury and quality.

Arcologist
Jul 12, 2017, 12:59 PM
I'm not much for the exterior of the first building in Kanata but this project is far from mediocre. My Mom lives there and everything inside is top notch, the fitness centre is probably the best in the city, and the whole project exudes luxury and quality.

I agree completely. Aside from the first building (bottom right), the three others are actually quite nice on the exterior, and the landscaping is well done too (something many developers seem to skip over.)

Neither William's Court in Kanata, nor Les Terrasses Francesca, are inspirational in their design, but at least they're a step up from the usual. I especially like the varied heights at Francesca (as opposed to the usual box that crams as many units into it as possible...)

If they had added some texture/feature/variety to the long, flat top of the Francesca tower, the entire development would improve even more, at least esthetically.

Uhuniau
Jul 13, 2017, 4:12 AM
reminds me of the apartments at kanata lakes.

http://www.obj.ca/sites/default/files/styles/article_main/public/2017-03/kanata%20lakes.jpg?itok=ius5ivet

zomg LOOK AT ALL THE LAKES!!!!

Davis137
Jul 13, 2017, 6:58 PM
While it does look like Claridge design, at least there has been more and more redevelopment of the Vanier district over the last 3-5 years, with more likely on it's way in the future...

rocketphish
Jul 13, 2017, 11:45 PM
While it does look like Claridge design, at least there has been more and more redevelopment of the Vanier district over the last 3-5 years, with more likely on it's way in the future...

I agree. But this development is in Overbrook, not Vanier. Here's a refresher:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Vanier,+Ottawa,+ON/@45.4396065,-75.6661917,14.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cce0514d8d31d0f:0x14261a217814f503!8m2!3d45.4370851!4d-75.658968

Arcologist
Jul 14, 2017, 12:17 PM
Meh, that whole area is Vanier to me ;)

J.OT13
Jul 19, 2017, 12:34 AM
I agree completely. Aside from the first building (bottom right), the three others are actually quite nice on the exterior, and the landscaping is well done too (something many developers seem to skip over.)

Yup, they stepped it up after the first disaster of a design.

On a different note, don't mess with the Vanier borders. :runaway:

passwordisnt123
Jul 19, 2017, 12:32 PM
What's the surest way to find out if somebody lives in Overbrook or Vanier?

Suggest that they live in Vanier. Don't worry, they'll let you know very quickly :)

Proof Sheet
Jul 19, 2017, 2:31 PM
I agree. But this development is in Overbrook, not Vanier. Here's a refresher:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Vanier,+Ottawa,+ON/@45.4396065,-75.6661917,14.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cce0514d8d31d0f:0x14261a217814f503!8m2!3d45.4370851!4d-75.658968

That is pretty accurate but I believe the former City of Vanier boundary ran down the middle of Stevens Avenue and not the way Google Maps show it.

Arcologist
Jul 19, 2017, 3:09 PM
Let's just call it all Vanier and we're good! ;)

Davis137
Jul 19, 2017, 3:17 PM
Sorry about messing up on the name of the district, but it is nice to see more development happening in broad strokes in that area of the city...

J.OT13
Jul 19, 2017, 3:36 PM
That is pretty accurate but I believe the former City of Vanier boundary ran down the middle of Stevens Avenue and not the way Google Maps show it.

Looks like.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-m4Dz72SrjnE/UET8k5D5TkI/AAAAAAAAAZg/Z8Lv-cjjLIU/s1600/Map_Carte_Cite+de+Vanier_Vanier+City_1970__Boundaries_edges_border_boundary_vanier_ottawa_+Sandy+Hill_Lowertown_New+Edinburgh_Lindenlea_Rockcliffe+Park_overbrook_Ottawa_vaniernow.jpg
http://vaniernow.blogspot.ca/2012/09/the-borders-of-vanier.html

Uhuniau
Jul 19, 2017, 5:02 PM
Let's just call it all Vanier and we're good! ;)

Ottawa broadcast journalist do that all the time, to almost any area east of their studios, if it's a crime story!

Uhuniau
Jul 19, 2017, 5:03 PM
Looks like.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-m4Dz72SrjnE/UET8k5D5TkI/AAAAAAAAAZg/Z8Lv-cjjLIU/s1600/Map_Carte_Cite+de+Vanier_Vanier+City_1970__Boundaries_edges_border_boundary_vanier_ottawa_+Sandy+Hill_Lowertown_New+Edinburgh_Lindenlea_Rockcliffe+Park_overbrook_Ottawa_vaniernow.jpg
http://vaniernow.blogspot.ca/2012/09/the-borders-of-vanier.html

I love those crazy street layouts.

TMA-1
Jul 20, 2017, 12:46 AM
Odd - no service penthouse. The "link" looks like the M/E room. It does look economical. Wood roof structure being stored at the corner house next street over.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4325/36035076145_349266e5c1_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/WUibGi)

D829760 building (https://flic.kr/p/WUibGi) by Chuck Clark (https://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/), on Flickr

waterloowarrior
Jan 29, 2019, 2:02 AM
Completed

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjQwWDgwMA==/z/ofAAAOSwxx1cG~Ru/$_59.JPG

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1405141683

Davis137
Jan 29, 2019, 1:33 PM
Not too shabby...

rocketphish
Dec 17, 2022, 7:31 PM
Centurion acquiring 276-unit luxury Ottawa apt. property

Don Wilcox, Managing Editor, RENX
Sep. 12 2022

Centurion Asset Management has been seeking a foothold in the Ottawa multiresidential market for years. After acquiring its first National Capital Region property in 2021, the Toronto investor is rapidly expanding, including the pending acquisition of the 276-unit luxury Les Terrasses Francesca.

Located at 1425 Vanier Parkway just outside the downtown core, Les Terrasses Francesca comprises a 15-storey tower and two adjoined three- and six-storey buildings.

Centurion president and CEO Greg Romundt calls the property, which was developed by local firm Lépine Apartments, a “trophy” acquisition.

“We’ve been trying for a very long time to get into the Ottawa market,” he told RENX in an interview. “The Ottawa market is a pretty tightly held market and we weren’t able to get anything of scale and size for a long time. In the last couple of years we’ve managed to turn that.”

Financial details were not disclosed. The transaction is expected to close in October.
Large apartment units, many amenities

One attraction for Centurion is the mix of apartments in the buildings, which range from about 825 square feet to 1,725 square feet. The average, Romundt said, is 1,159 square feet.

Floorplans include both one- and two-bedroom layouts, some with dens and what Centurion describes as “large balconies.”

It also offers extensive amenities including an indoor saltwater swimming pool, exercise facility and yoga studio, social lounge, courtyard with outdoor seating, storage, underground parking and concierge.

When the purchase closes, Centurion will have 792 apartments in Ottawa and neighbouring Gatineau, all acquired during the past 18 months. It bought a 171-unit building at 550 Langs Rd. early in 2021 and added the new 345-unit Le Central in Gatineau earlier this year.

It is also a partner in a major downtown mixed-use development with Main + Main and Westdale Properties to deliver a two-tower project with over 560 apartments and about 20,000 square feet of retail space. That site, at 400 Albert St., is just a couple of minutes walk from the Lyon LRT station.

Romundt said acquiring the Langs Road property (part of a portfolio divested by Starlight) was the catalyst Centurion needed.
Centurion’s growing Ottawa, Gatineau portfolio

“That allowed us to plant a flag. Once you’ve acquired a place and planted a flag, you can move in a management team and start building around it,” Romundt said. “That was the seminal event for us, getting a starting portfolio and building on it, and making a concerted effort to do so.”

Ottawa might not have the heft of the biggest Canadian markets, but it also doesn’t have the very high asset prices.

And, with Canada committed to a significant immigration policy for at least the next several years, Romundt said it and other mid-sized markets remain very attractive.

“I fundamentally believe that the amount of rental product that’s required in the country is so overwhelmingly large that we need to build rental product anywhere we can do it and that is going to lead to gentrification,” he explained, “and that is going to be a good thing (for the apartment sector).”

There is also a significant amount of development in and around Ottawa to meet that growing demand.

“There are a number of developers who are building new in that region,” he continued, noting Quebec and Calgary also have plenty of development underway. “The economics being able to make it work in those areas . . . it is very very difficult in Toronto to make new construction work.

“We like that merchant developers are building things and we have a whole program around either providing debt or equity and then buying them when they are complete.

“Developers are active there, so that is providing us an active pipeline.”
The economics of building in Ottawa

They can also afford to build larger units, which can accommodate families or people who simply want more space – especially with the work-from-home dynamic outliving the pandemic restrictions.

“In places like Toronto we’ve almost entirely failed to build in the Toronto core, or anywhere close to it, family living. Not only is there no services, but developers can’t afford to build three-bedrooms or large units,” Romundt noted.

“People can’t, or won’t pay for it. They’ll go to the suburbs instead or into single-family homes when they can afford to pay those prices; they can get a small house for it.

“The math is different (in Ottawa). You can still build something reasonably costed in Ottawa and a lot of other suburban markets, too, and people want to live there.

“And it’s exactly the kind of product that suits either the work from home or someone that wants to sell their home and move into a place that’s really nice and they don’t have to worry about repairs and maintenance and all that other stuff.”

Romundt said Centurion expects to announce more transactions in the National Capital Region in coming months.
Centurion’s medical office building acquisitions

The company has also been active in another sector, medical office buildings. Romundt said some of the metrics in the MOB market are the same as in multiresidential

“I happen to like the MOB space, been watching it for a couple of years and kind of tinkered around the edges on it,” he explained. “I generally speaking don’t like office, but I think medical office is different.

“Very sticky. Unlike regular office if no one has to go in to the office, then offices aren’t worth that much. But medical offices, do you really want to do a Zoom call with your doctor? Probably not, right? Because ‘I need you to look at this’. . .

“It fits into a very similar strategy, which is needs-based rental product. That’s what I find attractive.”

Its most recent acquisition in the space is a nine-building portfolio in Ontario and Alberta in partnership with Appelt Properties Inc. It was acquired from Invesque Inc. (IVQ-U-T) for about $94 million in August.

The buildings are in the Ottawa, Belleville, Stratford and Vaughan areas in Ontario, as well as in Edmonton and Medicine Hat, Alta.

It’s the third MOB acquisition by Centurion.

“For us it was just an opportunistic trade and we have a good partner in the MOB space which we’ve done a couple of opportunistic-type deals on,” Romundt noted.

He said Centurion is always willing to look outside its “traditional core because we have this portion of our portfolio where we’ll look at anything that’s opportunistic if we can get a great price on it.”

https://renx.ca/centurion-acquiring-276-unit-luxury-ottawa-apt-property

J.OT13
Dec 19, 2022, 5:17 PM
Calling that building "luxury". :yuck:

That word should be banned from the development industry's vocabulary.

rocketphish
Jun 14, 2023, 1:58 AM
[October 2022] 1425 Vanier Parkway (Les Terrasses Francesca) was the purchased by Centurion Apartments Properties (Les Terrasses Inc.) (Centurion Apartment Inc.) from 145 Presland Road Inc. (Lépine) for $207,000,000 or $750,000 per unit. It is improved with a 276-unit apartment complex with building heights stepping from one-storey to sixteen storeys along the Vanier Parkway.

http://juteaujohnsoncomba.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/December-2022-Newsletter-October-Sales.pdf