PDA

View Full Version : Brian Mullan's Retirement

emge
Jun 3, 2009, 2:47 AM
(I realize my spelling error in the title, but it won't allow me to edit that.

Police chief Mullan, 55, set to retire
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/575896

June 02, 2009
Paul Morse
The Hamilton Spectator

(Jun 2, 2009) Hamilton police Chief Brian Mullan has called it a day.

The 35-year-veteran of the Hamilton force will leave at the end of the year when his contract expires after six years at the helm.

"I'm feeling pretty good, I have a sense of relief because I've known this was going to happen since I put my notice in to the police services board in May," said Mullan, who turned 55 on Sunday. "I'm going to look for another opportunity, something that hopefully I enjoy as much as I have this job."

It was time to hand over the reins of the 1,200-member service, he said yesterday, and then quickly made it clear he hoped the next chief would come from within the department's own ranks.

Mullan leaves Hamilton police with a string of innovative successes but also morale-devastating crises that continue to reverberate throughout the force today.

His goals when he took over in 2003 from Ken Robertson were to fight fear of crime in downtown, launch an assault on crack cocaine and to increase the force's diversity.

He upped the number and visibility of officers downtown with more foot patrols and a bike squad, and CCTV cameras. His war on crack included beefed up enforcement, better links with social services and a unique quasi-drug court. He also pioneered the use of new civil forfeiture laws to help the province seize the notorious Sandbar crack hotel and other properties.

Over the past three years,25 per cent of new hires came from visible minority communities, he said.

But Mullan admits he had to face several "challenges."

The Michael Dixon saga of a black Hamilton man falsely arrested for a crime committed by a white man forced a lengthy investigation .

Mullan was also rocked by revelations that an extremely violent wanted man asked to be picked up but was told to turn himself in instead. One week later, Corey Rogers stabbed two young men to death and wounded two others.

Perhaps most damaging for Mullan has been the Sergeant Kevin Dhinsa debacle. Eleven female officers and one civilian employee alleged Dhinsa, a high profile officer, had sexually harassed them. A police tribunal threw out all charges after it was revealed the chief had waited eight days too long to file the charges.
pmorse@thespec.com
905-526-3434