PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Denver - Convention Center Embassy Suites

Pages : [1] 2

Pizzuti
Jun 7, 2009, 3:37 AM
Figured we'll need a thread on this sooner or later, as it's about to come out of the ground.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/pizzuti/021.jpg

glowrock
Jun 7, 2009, 4:56 AM
Hope it's out of the ground by the time I come out to Denver for a visit next month! :)

Aaron (Glowrock)

Pizzuti
Jun 7, 2009, 5:47 AM
Hmm... I woudln't count on it. This project has been painfully slow for all of us; they demolished the parking garage on the site years ago then left it empty for a long time. FINALLY we see movement, and it looks like we're just on the cusp of getting above the surface (which is why I figured it's due time to start a thread).

Don't expect more than a floor though.

A rendering of the project:

Your wish is my command, new guy. Behold:

http://www.denver-cityscape.com/images/embassysuitesrendering-1.jpg

http://www.denver-cityscape.com/images/embassysuitesbasecolor.jpg
Source: Denver-cityscape.com (http://www.denver-cityscape.com/downtownprojects.html)

The top one is the old design, but judging from the bottom rendering, it doesn't look like it will be that much different.

bunt_q
Jun 7, 2009, 8:44 AM
Haha, Aaron, you can talked to like a newbie now. Nevermind that you've been on this ridiculous forum for a decade now. :) I too am pretty dang excited to see some of this stuff when I come home on leave (be in Denver first week of August!)

glowrock
Jun 7, 2009, 1:34 PM
Yeah Brent, I know. All of the sudden I get talked to like a freaking newbie who doesn't realize that the old garage was demolished a number of years ago and who hasn't seen an empty lot for a long, long time! :)

Hey Pizzuti, you do realize I've been on the Forum since 2002, right? :)

Aaron (Glowrock)

Pizzuti
Jun 7, 2009, 5:55 PM
But your location says California, and you said you are "visiting" Denver next month, so I made a fair assumption that you're an outsider. My bad.

Plus, you thought it costs $1,000 a month to rent an apartment in Boulder :P

glowrock
Jun 8, 2009, 5:02 AM
But your location says California, and you said you are "visiting" Denver next month, so I made a fair assumption that you're an outsider. My bad.

Haha, I only moved to Bakersfield in November of last year... :) And frankly, now that I've been laid off from Schlumberger, I'm searching for jobs in Denver... Hahaha

Aaron (Glowrock)

Top Of The Park
Jun 8, 2009, 6:45 AM
once you guys leave..when you come back... you become newbies...Its all in the site rules..:frog:

bunt_q
Jun 8, 2009, 10:28 AM
Nice...actually, remember, 2002 was the great server reset. I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I remember being on here daily back in 2000 when I was at RTD :)

So, do I still become a newbie after Iraq? I mean, I wasn't in Hawaii long enough for it to rub off on me, and they rejected my bar app, so I can pretty much still technically only get a job in Colorado, haha.

If you can name the building on my avatar, you can claim Denver, how's that? I just noticed that was still there... I need to change that thing every once in a while.

So, Embassy Suites... about dang time.

glowrock
Jun 8, 2009, 3:04 PM
once you guys leave..when you come back... you become newbies...Its all in the site rules..:frog:

It's only the newbies from Boulder who think that! ;)

Aaron (Glowrock)

Top Of The Park
Jun 8, 2009, 4:18 PM
You two have enough seniority ...you can just about put your name on any downtown building...;)

glowrock
Jun 8, 2009, 5:56 PM
How about the Glowrock Trango Tower? :tup:

Aaron (Glowrock)

cadetwhite
Jun 8, 2009, 6:08 PM
Ha ha, sounds good. As long as it gets Trango built.

Top Of The Park
Jun 8, 2009, 7:42 PM
How about the Glowrock Trango Tower? :tup:

Aaron (Glowrock)

I'd settle for the glowing glowrock Gumby Tower...as long it was jade in color

Giovoni
Jun 8, 2009, 9:47 PM

wait when did apts in Boulder become so inexpensive?

glowrock
Jun 9, 2009, 12:55 AM
wait when did apts in Boulder become so inexpensive?

Glad someone thought the same thing, Giovoni! :D

Aaron (Glowrock)

SnyderBock
Jun 9, 2009, 1:51 AM
For ~$750/month, you can purchase a $100,000 home/apartment... So why rent one for $1000/month or more, when you will have nothing to show for your investment when you move? You will own nothing!

The Dirt
Jun 9, 2009, 2:03 AM
Because (a) most $100,000 homes are small, dumps, in a bad location, or all of the above, (b) if you want or have to move, you won't be able to sell it, and (c) owning means that you end up have additional costs like HOA fees, property taxes, and maintenance costs. I would not want to be tied to a piece of property when I need to move for a job. I know a few people that are stuck in this kind of situation.

Octavian
Jun 9, 2009, 2:15 AM
Because (a) most $100,000 homes are small, dumps, in a bad location, or all of the above, (b) if you want or have to move, you won't be able to sell it, and (c) owning means that you end up have additional costs like HOA fees, property taxes, and maintenance costs. I would not want to be tied to a piece of property when I need to move for a job. I know a few people that are stuck in this kind of situation.

Presumably, property taxes, HOA fees and maintenance costs are built into the price of your rent.

It depends on your situation of course and how long you intend to stay put (in the city if not in the same job), but one advantage to owning that no one has mentioned is the home mortgage deduction. One of many factors that goes into the decision.

glowrock
Jun 9, 2009, 2:53 AM

Exactly! What if I would have immediately bought a house or townhome when I got to Bakersfield last November, only to be laid off, as I just was? What the hell would I do then? I sure would have lost money on the place, and would have to deal with the huge hassle of selling a place I just bought a few months back!

For the first year or two in a new location, it makes sense to rent, unless you've got a larger family. After that, buying makes a lot of sense, at least if the market's not over-inflated, of course.

Aaron (Glowrock)

pablosan
Jun 9, 2009, 4:41 AM
Hmm, I'm seeing some old timers. I thought we had all died off.

The Dirt
Jun 9, 2009, 3:34 PM
They're like raisins, they're old and shriveled up and but they last forever and are sweet! ;)

I've been a little sick of everyone telling me to buy just because the market is right. Sorry, but there's a million reasons to not buy. For example, if you don't have the money for a decent down payment, then you shouldn't just jump into some terrible mortgage just because the market is right. You're still paying a crapload in interest.

Also... is Embassy Suites above ground yet?

Giovoni
Jun 9, 2009, 4:02 PM
Hmm, I'm seeing some old timers. I thought we had all died off.

I know I'm around.. just haven't really liked the tone or the density of information here in the last year or so. Not really anything terrible is keeping me away.. just an over all 'meh' feeling when I do try to read here.

Pizzuti
Jun 9, 2009, 4:51 PM
I don't know anybody who got a loan when they were a junior in college. You don't have any credit then and you're pretty much forced to rent.

As for the rent in Boulder question that arises agian, I'll repeat what I have paid each year for the 6 years I've lived here.

My sophomore year in college, I had a 1-bedroom apartment in a corporate apartment complex that cost $500 a month. That was 2004-2005.

My junior year in college, I had a 1-bedroom apartment in a corporate apartment complex that cost $550 a month. That was 2005-2006.

My senior year in college, I had a room in a house with 3 other roommates. I was paying $400 a month. That was 2006-2007.

My fifth year in college (yes I took 5 years; I worked through school plus got two undergrad degrees) I lived in the same house, but the landlords increased the rent to $425 a month. That was 2007-2008.

The next year I lived to a 3-bedroom unit in a divided up old house, with 2 roommates near Pearl Street. I paid $385 a month. That was 2008-2009.

I'm moving to a new place in an apartment complex owned by a local company, 2 blocks from the Pearl Street Mall, a 2-bedroom, 2-story apartment, with 1 other person. I'll be paying $510 a month, but this one includes heat so all we pay for is lights and cable.

I think the fact that I have lived comfortably for going on 7 years now and never paid more than $550 a month in Boulder is proof positive that rent in Boulder is less than $1000 a month. How could anyone expect me to not notice that the figure being shot around is over twice what I usually pay and what everybody I know pays? And no I don't need any jabs about me being poor, or living in below-grade housing; I'm in the same situation as every college student, and lived in units that were comfortable and big enough to host an occasional party.

I know some people who got screwed over or rented from ill-reputed rental companies, and didn't shop around, and are paying as much as $800 a month to rent because the zoning doesn't allow as many residents as there are bedrooms in the house, and they have to leave a bedroom open or sneak people in. And I'd say the average student is a little less frugal than I am, so would pay $550 to $600 for a similarly-valued place to what I got for $500. Then, if you're a 40-year-old professional who works for a consulting firm making over $80k a year and you need to rent for a year after your divorce, you might rent a roomy loft above the Pearl Street Mall and then, yeah, you'll pay $2,000 a month. And there are kids with rich parents and they want everything so rent from a place that costs as much as $900 a month, but ANY city in the U.S. has high-end apartments here and there.

Trust me, no young person who pays his/her own rent in Boulder is paying $1000 a month through school. It wouldn't be possible!

KidKonza
Jun 9, 2009, 5:17 PM
Welcome to the forum glowrock and bunt_q.

glowrock
Jun 9, 2009, 5:36 PM
Welcome to the forum glowrock and bunt_q.

:haha:

Yeah, this is kind of insane, isn't it? The two of us are being treated like newbies here, it's quite entertaining, though! :)

As for Pizzuti's constant posts about rent in Boulder, well, whatever... Sorry, but the college student's idea of a place to live is a little different than someone who's not in school anymore. I lived in some pretty "interesting" places when I was going to school as well, and I never paid LESS than $400-450/month, in GREELEY! But meh, enough of that...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Giovoni
Jun 9, 2009, 6:25 PM
[QUOTE=Pizzuti;4296411]
As for the rent in Boulder question that arises agian, I'll repeat what I have paid each year for the 6 years I've lived here.

My sophomore year in college, I had a 1-bedroom apartment in a corporate apartment complex that cost $500 a month. That was 2004-2005.

My junior year in college, I had a 1-bedroom apartment in a corporate apartment complex that cost $550 a month. That was 2005-2006.

My senior year in college, I had a room in a house with 3 other roommates. I was paying $400 a month. That was 2006-2007.

My fifth year in college (yes I took 5 years; I worked through school plus got two undergrad degrees) I lived in the same house, but the landlords increased the rent to $425 a month. That was 2007-2008.

The next year I lived to a 3-bedroom unit in a divided up old house, with 2 roommates near Pearl Street. I paid $385 a month. That was 2008-2009.

I'm moving to a new place in an apartment complex owned by a local company, 2 blocks from the Pearl Street Mall, a 2-bedroom, 2-story apartment, with 1 other person. I'll be paying $510 a month, but this one includes heat so all we pay for is lights and cable.

QUOTE]

I think the point of the statements was that Boulder is in general more expensive to live in than the rest of the metro area - would you like to argue that point? That might be fun from my end. College students in Boulder (or any city) being able to find places to live/act like college students for a certain amount of rent wouldn't exactly be a sign to me that I would be able to find a place I'd accept for the same price.

glowrock
Jun 9, 2009, 9:22 PM
I think the point of the statements was that Boulder is in general more expensive to live in than the rest of the metro area - would you like to argue that point? That might be fun from my end. College students in Boulder (or any city) being able to find places to live/act like college students for a certain amount of rent wouldn't exactly be a sign to me that I would be able to find a place I'd accept for the same price.

Thank you, Giovoni. I was starting to feel like I was hitting a brick wall over that one! :) Fact of the matter is, Boulder's freaking expensive! Yes, can you get a tiny little place that's suitable for college life for $500 a month? I guess so. But could >I< expect to pay that little for a place >I< would feel comfortable living in? Not a chance!

Aaron (Glowrock)

wong21fr
Jun 9, 2009, 11:00 PM
It's funny to see all of the old forumers. Get Matt in here and it would be a ball. Albert too. Hell, let's throw in Warren for a real chuckle.

It's also funny to see all of the same debates being rehashed. Though I don't want to go through them again.

SnyderBock
Jun 10, 2009, 12:28 AM
Yeah, renting definitely has it's place. I support more rental units being constructed in downtown as well. I was speaking long term (I didn't clarify that). I have a great aunt that rented an apartment for 20 years and the landlord just raised the rate year after year after year, until it got so high, she had to move out. When she moved out, she had nothing left, because all her money had gone into rent. few possessions, because she lived in a small place. After putting a couple hundred thousand dollars over 20 years into rent, she had nothing to show for. If she had purchased the unit, she would have turned a very high profit, been able to sell it and buy a nicer place to live and be set until she dies.

glowrock
Jun 10, 2009, 1:40 AM
It's funny to see all of the old forumers. Get Matt in here and it would be a ball. Albert too. Hell, let's throw in Warren for a real chuckle.

It's also funny to see all of the same debates being rehashed. Though I don't want to go through them again.

Matt and Albert would be fine, but if I ever see Warren again, I think I'll kill someone! :hell:

Aaron (Glowrock)

Pizzuti
Jun 10, 2009, 8:47 AM
I never said Boulder isn't more expensive than other towns. I would never disagree with that. I agree that the cost is prohibitive for some people and that's a social issue. The way this conversation originally started was that I said there is a culture here of paying 60% of your total income on rent while you're young, and the people living in Boulder deal with it and consider it a realistic, everyday thing, and there is a culture here to more frugal in other ways to make up for it.

Then someone came in and said yeah, the cheapest rent you can get in Boulder is $1000 a month, and I said no... that's way off, Boulder is more expensive than other towns its size but its more like 40% more expensive not 300% more expensive. It was a technical correction, that's all. Then I just got a lot of comments about how out of touch with the real Boulder I am, or that I must be getting cheap rent because we stuff six people into a four-bedroom house (which isn't true), or that I must be living in atypical situations renting rooms in a house rather than getting apartments (which isn't true), or that the place I live must be shit holes compared to standard housing, and for chrissakes, all I can say is I ought be the one to know where I live.

All I can do is tell the truth from my experience. And I just find it really bizarre that people who don't live in Boulder keep "correcting" me on what its like to live in Boulder, or calling me a "brick wall" because I trust my personal experience with a town I've lived in 6 years more serious than another person's casual unresearched musing.

My sister lived in a a 2-bedroom apartment in Arvada and she and her roommate each paid $300 a month. Before that she lived in a similar place in Lakewood and they each paid about the same. I'll use her for perspective; In Boulder I'd pay $450 for a comparable living space; my apartment is currently much bigger than hers and I pay $500. Yes, that is a significant markup.

I have other friends in Capitol Hill in Denver and they pay much closer to what we pay; maybe 5 percent less for an apartment of similar quality.

There are ripoffs in Boulder because companies take advantage of college kids who will not look for better deals because their parents are paying the rent anyway. But that's a different market than what most people in Boulder who are not sophomores in college use. If you don't insist on living 1-2 blocks from campus, you don't pay hugely disproportionate rent.

I do not live in a college house. Most people in my building are in the age range of 25-30 but some are much older. Rent in Boulder is somewhere between 25-40% more expensive than Arvada or some other Denver suburb, closer to what you'd pay in central neighborhoods in Denver.

I would just ask people who want to have a conversation to stop making wrong assumptions about me in order to dismiss the observations I bring. Like I said, I ought to be the one to know where I live.

bunt_q
Jun 10, 2009, 8:52 AM
Matt and Albert would be fine, but if I ever see Warren again, I think I'll kill someone! :hell:

Aaron (Glowrock)

Yeah, I could do without Warren (although I'm sure he still lingers)... but having Matt and Albert would be interesting. Matt and I would kill each other... but it's be fun. Where is Albert these days?

sashyenka
Jun 10, 2009, 9:22 AM
I like how none of this actually has anything to do with the Embassy Suites project. Come on now, boys.

bcp
Jun 10, 2009, 9:50 AM
warren was an awesome, graphic-mad, evil, genius...with the consistently worst spelling ever.

wong21fr
Jun 10, 2009, 2:08 PM
I like how none of this actually has anything to do with the Embassy Suites project. Come on now, boys.

Quiet young one! The elders are reminiscing.

Giovoni
Jun 10, 2009, 2:21 PM

don't worry.. by the time this project gets above ground level we'll all be quiet again.

Giovoni
Jun 10, 2009, 2:27 PM
I never said Boulder isn't more expensive than other towns. I would never disagree with that. I agree that the cost is prohibitive for some people and that's a social issue. The way this conversation originally started was that I said there is a culture here of paying 60% of your total income on rent while you're young, and the people living in Boulder deal with it and consider it a realistic, everyday thing, and there is a culture here to more frugal in other ways to make up for it.

Then someone came in and said yeah, the cheapest rent you can get in Boulder is $1000 a month, and I said no... that's way off, Boulder is more expensive than other towns its size but its more like 40% more expensive not 300% more expensive. It was a technical correction, that's all. Then I just got a lot of comments about how out of touch with the real Boulder I am, or that I must be getting cheap rent because we stuff six people into a four-bedroom house (which isn't true), or that I must be living in atypical situations renting rooms in a house rather than getting apartments (which isn't true), or that the place I live must be shit holes compared to standard housing, and for chrissakes, all I can say is I ought be the one to know where I live.

All I can do is tell the truth from my experience. And I just find it really bizarre that people who don't live in Boulder keep "correcting" me on what its like to live in Boulder, or calling me a "brick wall" because I trust my personal experience with a town I've lived in 6 years more serious than another person's casual unresearched musing.

My sister lived in a a 2-bedroom apartment in Arvada and she and her roommate each paid $300 a month. Before that she lived in a similar place in Lakewood and they each paid about the same. I'll use her for perspective; In Boulder I'd pay $450 for a comparable living space; my apartment is currently much bigger than hers and I pay $500. Yes, that is a significant markup.

I have other friends in Capitol Hill in Denver and they pay much closer to what we pay; maybe 5 percent less for an apartment of similar quality.

There are ripoffs in Boulder because companies take advantage of college kids who will not look for better deals because their parents are paying the rent anyway. But that's a different market than what most people in Boulder who are not sophomores in college use. If you don't insist on living 1-2 blocks from campus, you don't pay hugely disproportionate rent.

I do not live in a college house. Most people in my building are in the age range of 25-30 but some are much older. Rent in Boulder is somewhere between 25-40% more expensive than Arvada or some other Denver suburb, closer to what you'd pay in central neighborhoods in Denver.

I would just ask people who want to have a conversation to stop making wrong assumptions about me in order to dismiss the observations I bring. Like I said, I ought to be the one to know where I live.

My tone is always snarky... don't take it personally because it isn't. Plus I've been exiled from the west for 4 years (and only 7 days left thank heavens) I'm convinced people don't go to FL when they're old... they go there and then become old (cranky, conservative, closed minded etc) and it's a little contagious.. esp the cranky. I've lived in Boulder too and I agree with your experience. I would argue though that if a majority of a building - even if you do have a large minority of non college students - is your age and students.. well from my experience if they aren't being loud and partying they are completely wasting their college living experience. I doubt the penchant for partying has faded that much from CU since I was there, it wasn't that long ago. With what I do now.. I need quiet around me even when I play music/movies loudly for myself so that when I DO need to study/read I have silence. I'm a hypocrite that way.. but I own it lol. The perfect building for me would be the one that I'm the worst behaved tennant.

KidKonza
Jun 10, 2009, 3:22 PM
I sort of miss Warren getting everyone worked up. What happened to all the drunken posts? It seems like there's not as much to look forward to reading anymore. Matt still visits, I think. We were talking the other day about redundancy in the recent topics of discussion. I suppose there's only so much to talk about when it comes to urban development.

It's really quiet in here now that Phoenix has split off.

Jun 10, 2009, 5:47 PM
Denver finally gets some towers going up and everyone disappears from the forum.

You are all like the kid who begs and pleads and cries for a puppy, then he gets one, and quickly forgets about it.:haha:

Top Of The Park
Jun 10, 2009, 5:47 PM
I sort of miss Warren getting everyone worked up. What happened to all the drunken posts? It seems like there's not as much to look forward to reading anymore. Matt still visits, I think. We were talking the other day about redundancy in the recent topics of discussion. I suppose there's only so much to talk about when it comes to urban development.

It's really quiet in here now that Phoenix has split off.

Warren was an idiot....but I kind of miss some of the Phoenix guys ripping on Denver, then some others telling how they wish Phoenix was more like Denver

Jun 10, 2009, 5:50 PM
I missed what happened to the Phoenix people. Did they finally meet up in real life and have it out in an Anchorman-style rumble?

Jun 10, 2009, 5:56 PM
Oh wait, I see there's a Southwest forum now. Nevermind.

wong21fr
Jun 10, 2009, 5:57 PM
^They argued for, and were granted there own sub-forum, the Southwest:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=643

EDIT: Too late.

BroncoCSU05
Jun 10, 2009, 6:58 PM
i'm glad the phoenix people left...aren't you?? who wants to listen to their useless drivel

cadetwhite
Jun 10, 2009, 7:37 PM
Yeah, cause DENVER RULES!

FrancoRey
Jun 10, 2009, 10:19 PM
Hooray for random nostalgic posts! :banana:

Look at all the old 'ens. Long time no see, 5280. :cool:

DENrising
Jun 10, 2009, 11:07 PM
Ok, so if someone could post a plan of the CCES here, that would be great. I'll check back later.

Thanks.

The Dirt
Jun 10, 2009, 11:35 PM
Your wish is my command, new guy. Behold:

http://www.denver-cityscape.com/images/embassysuitesrendering-1.jpg

http://www.denver-cityscape.com/images/embassysuitesbasecolor.jpg
Source: Denver-cityscape.com (http://www.denver-cityscape.com/downtownprojects.html)

The top one is the old design, but judging from the bottom rendering, it doesn't look like it will be that much different.

DENrising
Jun 10, 2009, 11:43 PM
Nice, thanks for the visual, interesting how it combines the two brands (Homewood/Embassy). I've stayed in both they are very similar, just the breakfast at Embassy is better. LOL. Ok, so now we're going off topic again.

Is that surface lot still supposed to be there? How many blocks are there between the Spire and Hyatt? I was there at Conv Center last summer, just can't remember.

Thanks for posting the plan.

Pizzuti
Jun 11, 2009, 1:30 AM
I think I'm gonna edit my entry on the first page to include those pictures, because they belong there. I just didn't know where I was allowed to snag them without getting into some copyright mess.

The Dirt
Jun 11, 2009, 3:01 AM
As long as you put the source of the picture, you won't be in any trouble.

Nice, thanks for the visual, interesting how it combines the two brands (Homewood/Embassy). I've stayed in both they are very similar, just the breakfast at Embassy is better. LOL. Ok, so now we're going off topic again.
If I remember correctly, I remember reading that they backed out of the hybrid model, and just kept it an Embassy Suites w/o the Homewood Suites. This might explain the redesign. Someone that knows better, please back me up.

Is that surface lot still supposed to be there? How many blocks are there between the Spire and Hyatt? I was there at Conv Center last summer, just can't remember.
This project sits on the block between the Spire and the Hyatt. Unfortunately, there are large parking lots filling almost half the block both between the Spire in front ES and between the Hyatt behind ES.

enjo13
Jun 11, 2009, 4:24 AM
There is one surface lot between Spire and the Embassy suites (the one in the lower rendering). There is another lot between the suites and the Hyatt.

bunt_q
Jun 11, 2009, 9:08 AM
I picture some tourist - probably from an obscure town in nebraska - getting sandwiched between that nice brick wall there and a light rail train...

DENrising
Jun 11, 2009, 2:14 PM
Not if there's a parking lot on either side of the building. The plan shows the building streetside with a patio. Are there three plots equally divided on that block? I guess the design doesn't include underground parking then?

The Dirt
Jun 11, 2009, 3:32 PM
This should make for a good visual aide:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/dmatrixone/ES.jpg

The various empty lots on these blocks have had their share of proposals, but most are either canceled or on indefinite hold, like this little gem:

http://www.denverinfill.com/images/blog/2008-05/2008-05-12_15th_stout1.jpg

This one's been dead forever:
http://www.denverinfill.com/images/redev/central_downtown/138_best_western1.jpg

Or these massings (I chose the tallest, of course):
http://www.denverinfill.com/images/blog/2007-01/2007-01-30_14th_stout3.jpg

http://www.denverinfill.com/images/blog/2007-01/2007-01-30_14th_california3.jpg
Images brought to you by DenverInfill (http://www.denverinfill.com/blog/2007/01/key-parcel-at-14th-and-stout-sold-new.html)

Anyway, these lots will probably stay empty for a while, at least.

wong21fr
Jun 11, 2009, 3:39 PM
^The design does include underground parking and sits at the corner of Block 138. Here's a overhead of the block highlighting the lot (it is the yellow square on the left):

(Image from DenverInfill.com)

http://www.denverinfill.com/images/block_aerials/central_downtown/138.jpg

The development is adjacent to the light rail and appears to cut pretty close to the tracks. I'm sure there will be some sort of buffer but human beings tend to be idiotic so I'm sure some poor soul will end up getting crushed by a train.

Dirt, it is going to be a stand-alone Embassy Suites. Which is a good thing as Homewood can always go on another lot.

enjo13
Jun 11, 2009, 5:18 PM
The development is adjacent to the light rail and appears to cut pretty close to the tracks. I'm sure there will be some sort of buffer but human beings tend to be idiotic so I'm sure some poor soul will end up getting crushed by a train.

Dirt, it is going to be a stand-alone Embassy Suites. Which is a good thing as Homewood can always go on another lot.

There is quite a bit of roombetween the building and the actively used track. It does get pretty close to the curved track that is never used (at least I've never seen a train on it). I've been on the other side of the tracks looking at the construction quite a bit without a problem.

Although the occasional train operator refuses to pass by until we get back to the other side....

DENrising
Jun 11, 2009, 6:13 PM
Nice, thanks for providing the renderings, maps, etc. When I'm down there next week, I need to check out the spots along 14th/15th St. I had spent soo much time loitering on 16th St, that I didn't make it down there last march. I also have never been to the Performing Arts complex, so I can check out this hole in the ground, the adjacent parking lots, Spire, and then over to the 4S. Sounds like a nice afternoon stroll.

Can anyone recommend a nice watering hole around this route?

enjo13
Jun 11, 2009, 6:52 PM
Nice, thanks for providing the renderings, maps, etc. When I'm down there next week, I need to check out the spots along 14th/15th St. I had spent soo much time loitering on 16th St, that I didn't make it down there last march. I also have never been to the Performing Arts complex, so I can check out this hole in the ground, the adjacent parking lots, Spire, and then over to the 4S. Sounds like a nice afternoon stroll.

Can anyone recommend a nice watering hole around this route?

It's not a hole in the ground any more:) They're just above street level...

If you like trendy, the Corner Office at 14th/Curtis is pretty fun. I'm a big fan of Leelas Euro Cafe on 15th/Champa. It's a coffee shop/bar..uhm... thing.

Lots of cool stuff on 14th/Larimer (Larimer Square) and 14th/Market.

cadetwhite
Jun 11, 2009, 7:49 PM
This area (the theater district), with all the new development may be my new favorite place in the city. It has a great atmosphere.

If you're also interested in a bite to eat check out Sam's #3 on the corner of 15th and Curtis. Their food is good and it's cheap.

Jun 11, 2009, 11:30 PM
The scariest thing to me is the proximity of La Boheme to the light-rail track. I imagine that bouncing off a light rail car as you stumble out of a "gentlemen's cabaret" on the back to your Embassy Suites hotel room would be a poor, poor way to cap off your trip to the annual Propane Sellers of America convention.

I've been interested to check out the newly opened primebar (http://primebaramerica.com/) at 15th and Arapahoe.

Okayyou
Jun 12, 2009, 1:13 AM
I have been once and the food is ok. Their $12 super burger isn't worth it, especially with the grilled lettuce that comes with. The place isn't bad for happy hour.

DownhomeDenver
Jun 12, 2009, 4:23 PM
As enjo previously posted this thing is finally above ground. YAY!

bcp
Jun 12, 2009, 4:49 PM
as is solera!

Pizzuti
Jun 12, 2009, 5:22 PM
Do you think Solera is big enough to justify its own thread or should its discussion/pics just go into the general Denver Development Thread?

The Dirt
Jun 12, 2009, 6:38 PM
Considering that the DD Thread gets little love and Solera is just not that big of a deal, I'd prefer that reserve all the sub threads for major projects only. But, do whatever you want, man.

sashyenka
Jun 12, 2009, 8:45 PM
I avoided creating a thread for Solera when I went around for my big update because I don't think it's major enough to warrant it when the purpose of this thread is, after all, development in Denver.

sashyenka
Jun 19, 2009, 12:06 AM
Well, it's above street level.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3639282981_ebb5612a1a_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2430/3639281111_3d514506a4_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3352/3640088050_05b57a9e57_o.jpg

DENrising
Jun 28, 2009, 12:49 AM
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/5280milehiguy/14th%20St/June09010.jpg

Look how close!!

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/5280milehiguy/14th%20St/June09012.jpg

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/5280milehiguy/14th%20St/June09008.jpg

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/5280milehiguy/14th%20St/June09009.jpg

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/5280milehiguy/14th%20St/June09001.jpg

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/5280milehiguy/14th%20St/June09002.jpg

pablosan
Jun 28, 2009, 10:27 PM
Wow, those tracks are real close.

DENrising
Jul 2, 2009, 4:27 PM
Yes, it is close. Also, really odd that the LRT wasn't routed street side with the usual sidewalk away from the street, I don't get it. Anyhow, hope there aren't any construction vs. train accidents while building the ES.

Pizzuti
Jul 2, 2009, 9:17 PM
I like how close the Light Rail tracks are to the building; it gives the light rail system a sense of integration with the city, like the transit systems of Chicago and New York, where in one case, elevated trains duck and weave through buildings, and in the latter Subways let off directly beneath buildings where passengers can take an elevator right up into the skyscraper from inside the subway station.

I think my favorite part of Denver's entire light rail system is when it passes directly under the Convention Center for some length. You feel like you're in a really big, developed city there. An impressive stretch for tourists or newcomers riding our transit for the first time!

The safety of the close curve will be a concern when it's complete, as it might create a "blind curve" where people crossing the tracks, and the train conductor, can't really see each other. I wonder if the trains will end up driving extremely slow around that curve - and it would be just fine with me if they did that, because the dense urban area lends itself to slower speeds (because there are shorter distances) and they can pick up the pace when they get out of the buildings and have longer distances between stops.

sashyenka
Aug 9, 2009, 6:22 AM
This has to be the slowest-moving project downtown ever. I've walked by this numerous times in the last couple of weeks and I believe they're still working on the third floor. Third. At least we can hope the construction quality is good due to them taking their time?

SnyderBock
Aug 9, 2009, 8:10 AM
The first 2 or 3 above ground floors always take a long time. It should start going up faster now.

sashyenka
Aug 9, 2009, 8:42 AM
That's what was said about the project when it broke ground though, and well... So far, I'm not exactly convinced. Maybe it'll open Q1 2011. :yes:

Crush_Buds
Aug 9, 2009, 11:26 AM
Check this thread (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=159539) too. The "official" DENVER | Embassy Suites Hotel | 215 FT / 65 M | 17 FLOORS thread. Granted this thread seems to have more active and recent discussion.

....And the Embassy Suites is almost two whole stories!

http://www.bruceq.com/galleries/photo_60_2294.jpg

still looks like a pretty hairy place to be a pedestrian...

http://www.bruceq.com/galleries/photo_60_2296.jpg

There's more here (http://www.bruceq.com/photos/denver-downtown-8-2009/) if you're interested.

Credit to BruceQ in the Denver Thread. (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=4387634&postcount=1241)

The Dirt
Aug 9, 2009, 9:09 PM
It's still faster than the Freedom Tower.

Pizzuti
Aug 9, 2009, 11:16 PM
It's still faster than the Freedom Tower.

Hahahaha. But make any remotely negative comment on the Freedom Tower thread about it's slowness or how it's fading from the national spotlight (even as an observation when your intent was to discuss something else), and an angry mob of New Yorkers will chase you down with dozens of personal messages about how ignorant you are. ALL OF PLANET EARTH STANDS IN AWE OF NYC, is the gist of what they'll tell you.

At this point I can say I'm glad that construction was slow, because it means something's going up now that the economy is tough. Had they been on a fast track and completed it in 2008, we would have halved our major construction sites as of the completion of Four Seasons.

sashyenka
Aug 9, 2009, 11:35 PM
^It also means that when everything else is done, we'll have at lease one project going up!

:yes:

Crush_Buds
Aug 10, 2009, 12:10 AM
^It also means that when everything else is done, we'll have at lease one project going up!

:yes:

And Solera. It's 11 stories, but it's still something.

sashyenka
Aug 10, 2009, 6:26 AM
Yes, but Solera is rising at a normal pace. It was a joke, buddy.

Crush_Buds
Aug 10, 2009, 10:01 AM
"I'm not your buddy, guy." That's a joke too if you don't know.

Who cares if the building takes a little while? I would like to see it done asap too but if it's not, I won't lose any sleep over it. It's a hotel. I'm just thankful to see the project got started and is moving along in the first place.

From 8/9/09:

http://www.denver-cityscape.com/images/embassysuites8909-2.jpg

http://www.denver-cityscape.com/images/embassysuites8909-3.jpg

DENrising
Sep 16, 2009, 4:28 PM
A month since the last update, hmmm, I'm not due back in town till Oct 10, can someone snap a shot if you happen to be walking around on lunch?

Thanks!!!

"I'm not your buddy, guy." That's a joke too if you don't know.

Who cares if the building takes a little while? I would like to see it done asap too but if it's not, I won't lose any sleep over it. It's a hotel. I'm just thankful to see the project got started and is moving along in the first place.

pablosan
Sep 16, 2009, 5:07 PM
http://www.denver-cityscape.com/
Most recent updates.

The Dirt
Sep 17, 2009, 3:34 AM
1 1/2 floors a month! Whoo-hoo!

sashyenka
Sep 17, 2009, 4:53 AM
So, 13 1/2 stories left to go (right? 17 total?) makes ... 9 months to go on this. It might be done by Christmas next year. Possibly. If they're feeling hurried.

DENrising
Sep 17, 2009, 2:40 PM
Impressive, guess I won't be making new years reservations there anytime soon.

SnyderBock
Sep 17, 2009, 9:26 PM
It seems like to me, that the first 2-3 floors always take longer to build. I don't see why this project would be any different.

Crush_Buds
Sep 17, 2009, 9:34 PM
I think the giant atrium will make it take that much longer as well.

blm3034L!fe
Sep 26, 2009, 2:43 AM
What floor is Embassy on now5 maybe 6?

SnyderBock
Sep 26, 2009, 8:09 AM
I'm not sure, the last photo update was August 9th, nearly two months ago!

Crush_Buds
Sep 26, 2009, 8:32 AM
Not true. You even commented after this post in the "DENVER | Embassy Suites Hotel | 215 FT / 65 M | 17 FLOORS" highrise thread.

9-13-09:

http://www.denver-cityscape.com/images/embassysuites91309-1.jpg

http://www.denver-cityscape.com/images/embassysuites91309-2.jpg

http://www.denver-cityscape.com/images/embassysuites91309-3.jpg

SnyderBock
Sep 26, 2009, 8:42 AM
Ah that's right. I simply glanced back at the last photo update posted on this thread and it was dated 08-09-2009. I forgot about the update on other threads...

It's been 13 days since that update. They basically build 1 floor every other week. It was at 3 and a half floors, so I'm guessing the 4th floor in complete now and the 5th floor is underway.

DENrising
Sep 26, 2009, 3:13 PM
...at this rate, it may soon eclipse the Spire's parking garage.

:koko: :koko: :koko:

rds70
Oct 4, 2009, 3:47 AM
Poking above the convention center roof (o.k. just the concrete booms, but still...):

http://www.denver-cityscape.com/images/embassysuites10309.jpg

KidKonza
Oct 6, 2009, 4:18 AM
I don't mind the pace much. It should tide us over until the next construction boom.

pablosan
Oct 10, 2009, 5:46 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/SanchezPablo/Downtown-09-30-09072.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/SanchezPablo/Downtown-09-30-09066.jpg

gabjac31
Oct 24, 2009, 8:58 PM
how many floor has this constructed now? Just curious.

pablosan
Oct 24, 2009, 9:17 PM
I think they are working on the 6th floor.