PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Calgary Cycling Paths & Infrastructure

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Rusty van Reddick
Aug 27, 2010, 5:09 PM
Not offended at all- it was a funny comment.

mooky
Aug 27, 2010, 5:18 PM
Point taken about asphalt over concrete. It's been a while since I've been on blades (last time I was on blades was the last time I will ever blade, I'm too klutzy and my tailbone suffered for months)

But last time I biked, I wasn't so pansy-ass as to consider how much harder it was to bike on concrete over asphalt ;)

DavidKuitunen
Aug 31, 2010, 2:03 AM
Point taken about asphalt over concrete. It's been a while since I've been on blades (last time I was on blades was the last time I will ever blade, I'm too klutzy and my tailbone suffered for months)

But last time I biked, I wasn't so pansy-ass as to consider how much harder it was to bike on concrete over asphalt ;)

Hmmm. We'll last time I biked was a couple hours ago on a concrete velodrome and I still think asphalt was the right choice for this path. ;)

mersar
Aug 31, 2010, 11:13 PM
Keep on topic please everyone. And please be aware of your language, and the rules of the forum.

Thanks.

devonb
Aug 31, 2010, 11:14 PM
Driving home from work tonight I noticed that they've re-aligned the Riverfront Rd along the river near Chinatown to one lane (removing the turn lane) to put in a new bike lane. Good to see this as we're needing more of those.

Ramsayfarian
Aug 31, 2010, 11:17 PM
Keep on topic please everyone. And please be aware of your language, and the rules of the forum.

Thanks.

Keep on topic? Why don't you ever post that in the construction thread where it's actually needed?

Calgarian
Aug 31, 2010, 11:51 PM
Driving home from work tonight I noticed that they've re-aligned the Riverfront Rd along the river near Chinatown to one lane (removing the turn lane) to put in a new bike lane. Good to see this as we're needing more of those.

An actual bike lane on a road? that makes what, 5 of them now? great to hear.

Ramsayfarian
Sep 1, 2010, 12:04 AM
An actual bike lane on a road? that makes what, 5 of them now? great to hear.

Another seal broken. The end of times will soon be upon us.

Wooster
Sep 1, 2010, 1:31 AM
I'd be interested to know what major routes have a wide curb lane, where a bike lane could very easily be added?

Any ideas?

I think of roads like Centre street, 4th, 5th and 6th avenues downtown. Others?

DavidKuitunen
Sep 1, 2010, 2:40 AM
I'd be interested to know what major routes have a wide curb lane, where a bike lane could very easily be added?

Any ideas?

4th and 6th Ave have really narrow lanes, but I'd be curious as to how many lanes will be necessary after the West LRT is built. 6th Ave would be a better road because it would connect EV with 11th Street.

Radley77
Sep 1, 2010, 5:14 AM

Any ideas?

Shout out to Edmonton Trail! Overall, I hope this street moves towards it's urban boulevard use as proposed by Plan It.

Boris2k7
Sep 1, 2010, 5:46 AM
Having just been on a several-city urban vacation (I still have yet to post my NYC photos and a full write-up on my blog but I'll get around to it soon here), I have a few different thoughts on cycling.

First of all, one of the neatest things I saw were bike rental stations in Montreal. Not sure entirely how it works but the gist of it is that you go to each of the locations (which are literally all over the island) and you can rent a bike for a base time of 30 minutes and/or add time in increments of 15 minutes. To end your time you simply put the bike back on the rack where it gets locked up until the next person comes along.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_mH0AOaMhRvs/THc_BYS8TlI/AAAAAAAABQ8/cMCVzMsJDbM/s720/IMG_7173.JPG

One thought on this... it seems a lot more useful if you take out the consideration of people carrying bike helmets around with them, so you can just swipe your card, hop on a bike, and go. With that said, I saw a lot of empty bike racks, implying that the system is well used.

Of course, what are rental stations without proper lanes to use the bikes on. Montreal, of course, has many recreational paths such as the ones up on Parc Mont Royal that have the same mixed ped/bike movement and 20km/hr that Calgary pathways do. On many of its roads however, it has marked bike lanes that are placed on one side of the street.

Ex. Bike lanes with no separation from traffic via median
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_mH0AOaMhRvs/THdBhIkZjlI/AAAAAAAABXM/xa7YpxnPB68/s720/IMG_7513.JPG

Ex. Bike lane w/ rental station
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_mH0AOaMhRvs/THdClwTDE9I/AAAAAAAABao/rLOZ4FoAzJQ/s720/IMG_7768.JPG

Ex. Bikers on lane separated from automobile traffic by concrete median
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_mH0AOaMhRvs/THdA-GuJiOI/AAAAAAAABWM/gQYrlo30h-s/s720/IMG_7442.JPG

Several metro stations also have a large number of bike racks as well. This one at Station Mont Royal had a bike rack stretching down the block. It's a very busy station, and has an tiny, open-air market set up in front of the station entrance. Not entirely sterilized either... there were several homeless people sleeping in the park and one was urinating only feet away from groups of teens. That doesn't seem to scare people away or keep them from dropping their bikes off though.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_mH0AOaMhRvs/THdBzR1hlQI/AAAAAAAABYQ/llG-VK9pXbg/s720/IMG_7570.JPG

shreddog
Sep 1, 2010, 9:02 AM
First of all, one of the neatest things I saw were bike rental stations in Montreal. Not sure entirely how it works but the gist of it is that you go to each of the locations (which are literally all over the island) and you can rent a bike for a base time of 30 minutes and/or add time in increments of 15 minutes. To end your time you simply put the bike back on the rack where it gets locked up until the next person comes along.

One thought on this... it seems a lot more useful if you take out the consideration of people carrying bike helmets around with them, so you can just swipe your card, hop on a bike, and go. With that said, I saw a lot of empty bike racks, implying that the system is well used.
Bixi (http://montreal.bixi.com/rolling-with-bixi/how-it-works) is awesome, but it is priced really just for inter city movement, not touring. It can be very cheap when riding from one part of the city to another that is less than 30 minutes apart (say from the the Port to the Plateau), but I wouldn't tool around the Park with it or Ste-Helene. I use it alot and love it, though I don't think it would work in Calgary. The type of destinations suited best to a Bixi type system aren't that far apart here and everyone in Calgary already appears to own a bike - or at least likes wearing spandex! Funny how Toronto has been so slow to pick up on a Bixi type system.

Of course, what are rental stations without proper lanes to use the bikes on. Montreal, of course, has many recreational paths such as the ones up on Parc Mont Royal that have the same mixed ped/bike movement and 20km/hr that Calgary pathways do. On many of its roads however, it has marked bike lanes that are placed on one side of the street.

Ex. Bikers on lane separated from automobile traffic by concrete median

The seperated lanes are the best, plus they are plowed in winter. This is one bit of urban fabric execution I think Montreal has done so much better in than just about anybody else in NA.

Rusty van Reddick
Sep 1, 2010, 4:33 PM
We had separated, paved, plowed-in-winter bike lanes in Madison, Wisconsin. I never owned a car in seven years of grad school there and never felt the desire (or need) to have a car.

Montreal's bike rentals are a drop in the bucket compared to what's available in every city in Europe... that said, I think there could be a place for this in Calgary, especially seeing as we have hundreds of thousands of visitors who don't bring bikes in their suitcases. We could have rental stations around, say, Olympic Plaza, around Eau Claire, in Kensington, on 17th somewhere... scale would be different than in other cities but it's worth a shot.

hulkrogan
Sep 1, 2010, 7:33 PM
While the bike lanes on Riverfront will be great for now, I don't really get the point once the paths are opened back up. It seems there would have been higher bike traffic locations they could have worked on. Oh well, it's a start.

Ramsayfarian
Sep 1, 2010, 8:13 PM
That bike rental is a cool idea.

I was driving down MacLeod trail today and some guy was riding bike heading northbound around 44 ave.

Sane or insane?

Radley77
Sep 2, 2010, 12:41 AM
While the bike lanes on Riverfront will be great for now, I don't really get the point once the paths are opened back up. It seems there would have been higher bike traffic locations they could have worked on. Oh well, it's a start.

I am thinking it may just be a temporary thing for cyclist. The City of Calgary has a bylaw against riding a bicycle on the sidewalk. There were a lot of cyclist that were using the sidewalk as a result of the Riverwalk construction, so police would have had to enforce the bylaws which would have in turn created additional safety and mobility issues for cyclists...

outoftheice
Sep 2, 2010, 1:12 AM
Speaking of bylaws.. that's one hurdle to bike sharing in Calgary that I've never really considered before. If I'm correct, Calgary has a bylaw requiring anybody on a bike to be wearing a helmet. I don't think most of the other cities with bike sharing programs have a similar bylaw. I can't think of a way around this without forcing users to buy their own helmets. Since a lot of people who use these bike sharing programs are tourists or people without their own bikes, I could see this as a reason for a bixi style program to fail in Calgary.

DavidKuitunen
Sep 2, 2010, 4:07 AM
That bike rental is a cool idea.

I was driving down MacLeod trail today and some guy was riding bike heading northbound around 44 ave.

Sane or insane?

I've taken 42nd before on my way back from Vulcan. The new bike lane on 11th street ends at 46th Ave. 46th Ave connects with 42nd Ave, are you sure you didn't see the cyclist on 42nd? 11th Street to 46th Ave to Manhattan Rd to 42nd Ave could use one solid bike lane.

hulkrogan
Sep 2, 2010, 5:25 PM
Speaking of bylaws.. that's one hurdle to bike sharing in Calgary that I've never really considered before. If I'm correct, Calgary has a bylaw requiring anybody on a bike to be wearing a helmet. I don't think most of the other cities with bike sharing programs have a similar bylaw. I can't think of a way around this without forcing users to buy their own helmets. Since a lot of people who use these bike sharing programs are tourists or people without their own bikes, I could see this as a reason for a bixi style program to fail in Calgary.

I think only minors must wear helmets.

Aegis
Sep 2, 2010, 6:07 PM

Sharing the road with cars and not wearing a helmet is absolutely idiotic. I'd rather have an extra car on the road than someone getting a permanent brain injury or death because a vehicle travelling as slow as 20 Km/h hit them.

If helmets are keeping people off bikes, they shouldn't be on bikes in the first place.

Ramsayfarian
Sep 2, 2010, 6:54 PM
I've taken 42nd before on my way back from Vulcan. The new bike lane on 11th street ends at 46th Ave. 46th Ave connects with 42nd Ave, are you sure you didn't see the cyclist on 42nd? 11th Street to 46th Ave to Manhattan Rd to 42nd Ave could use one solid bike lane.

He was on Macleod trail. I know this for a fact as I had to straddle lanes to get by him.

Riise
Sep 2, 2010, 7:56 PM
Montreal's bike rentals are a drop in the bucket compared to what's available in every city in Europe...

London's recently opened system (Barclays Cycle Hire (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14808.aspx)) was actually modeled off of Montreal's system.

Rusty van Reddick
Sep 2, 2010, 8:24 PM
London's recently opened system (Barclays Cycle Hire (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14808.aspx)) was actually modeled off of Montreal's system.

Could we talk about Calgary in Calgary threads please? My post was about how this might be feasible here. I don't care about London or who copied what.

DavidKuitunen
Sep 3, 2010, 12:14 AM
He was on Macleod trail. I know this for a fact as I had to straddle lanes to get by him.

Oh... ya thats just foolishness.

GoTall
Sep 4, 2010, 11:52 PM
Yes, I understand all of the comments completely as I work for a proffesional office. I am quite familiar with all of the guidelines and construction tecniques. There are many ways to get around what they did (root barriers, thickened concrete edges etc, etc...) instead they utilized the heavy-handed approach and they didn't ask for good advice.

I find it odd that we would let someone just come in and trash our riverfront, replace it with riprap, and then forget all about it. There are bad examples in the west village area as well where they used a similar approach and replaced the trees with ornamental species. The replacement trees are mostly all dead now.

I could easily see them not asking advice again in the east village and planting some manchurian ash trees or other ornamental trees which may die off. I will review the planting plans first before jumping to any conclusions. I assume there are some, right? lol

This would never happen in the downtowns of other major cities in Canada where they are working to preserve the riparian corridor, riverbank and vegetation.

Had to happen for a lot of the trees, many of them were hollow and rotting inside. The general health was not great in the area, and all were assessed by urban forestry prior to their removal. You can see some of the ones that were kept as they were in good health and had many years left in them.

GoTall
Sep 4, 2010, 11:55 PM
I understand that completely and I am very grateful for the work in the east village and the preservation of some of the historical architecture. I just dont see why they wouldn't carry through with a similar design gesture and preserve some of the trees as well. There always seems to be an "all or nothing" approach to landscape in the city. Could they have not have left 5 trees and agroup of shrubs. Developments that save some of the natural vegetation always look more aesthetically pleasing. That rip rap also looks aweful compared to what was there before.

you mean the broken concrete, asphalt chunks, metal and other debris that constituted "bank protection"? have a closer look in the trees that were left behind, as a city we essentially end-dumped construction debris for erosion and called it a day... I think the city is doing a better job now with thinking things through for the long term. short term pain, long term gain.

GoTall
Sep 4, 2010, 11:58 PM
I've been meaning to comment on that since I saw them lay it down weeks back...

I don't get it, textured and colored concrete on one side, and asphalt on the other. I understand the asphalt is probably for a "bike lane" but couldn't they have made it all concrete and made it look more attractive in the process?

I mean outside the core, sure, asphalt, but this is the core area, come on! Looks like they cheaped out.

Asphalt was the clear preference of cyclists and roller-bladers. They don't like the joints in concrete or the texture.

GoTall
Sep 5, 2010, 12:00 AM

This is a temporary detour around the RiverWalk project for the cyclists. Hope they use it, otherwise it will get taken out and pay parking put back...

DavidKuitunen
Sep 5, 2010, 1:04 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs409.snc4/47232_1429075844396_1157840211_31015556_3948663_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs409.snc4/47232_1429075884397_1157840211_31015557_8306297_n.jpg

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_395_203_0_47/http;/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Parks/About+Parks/Pathways+Management/Pathwatch+Surveys/Pathwatch+Survey+2010.htm

DavidKuitunen
Sep 5, 2010, 3:02 AM
Two really good bike quotes. I know this isn't really relating to skyscrapers or cycling infrastructure, but it's a little "food for thought."

"I thought of that while riding my bike."
-Albert Einstein

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
-Jim Burlant

DavidKuitunen
Sep 6, 2010, 6:25 PM
Seating Area
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs406.snc4/46940_1430994652365_1157840211_31020388_1850720_n.jpg

Walkway & bikepath
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs612.snc4/59220_1430994812369_1157840211_31020389_3935763_n.jpg

Near Simmons Building
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs632.snc4/59220_1430994852370_1157840211_31020390_7846150_n.jpg

GoTall
Sep 6, 2010, 7:11 PM
Near Simmons Building
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs632.snc4/59220_1430994852370_1157840211_31020390_7846150_n.jpg[/QUOTE]

The last pic is a maintenance, power and water supply shed. There are two self cleaning public washroom going in just to the east of this shed.

DavidKuitunen
Sep 6, 2010, 10:08 PM
The last pic is a maintenance, power and water supply shed. There are two self cleaning public washroom going in just to the east of this shed.

Cool, I was wondering what it was going to be.
Thanks

hulkrogan
Sep 7, 2010, 10:59 PM
I used the bikelane today on riverfront ave and it was awesome! I love how they put both lanes on the same side of the road (that has no intersections).

DavidKuitunen
Sep 8, 2010, 3:50 AM
Does anyone know what kind of signage will be on the riverwalk bike path, or if there is going to be lines painted on the asphalt? I'm having trouble finding that information.

Riise
Sep 8, 2010, 10:57 AM
I took a little trip over to Amsterdam this week and... wow! Their cycling network and mentality is simply amazing. It was my second time in the city but the first time I actually got to hop onto a bike. It was one of the best experiences of the trip and one of my friends who is on a Eurotrip said it may have been the most exciting part of his entire trip.

Although Amsterdam does not have many of the obstacles that Calgary does, Calgary needs to replicate the Dutch. How? By changing our mentality.

Our system is starting to take great strides but it would really take-off if cycling was one of the first things taken into consideration during transportation planning. I'm not saying it needs to come before transit or the private automobile but rather needs to be put at the same level. Basically, it should not be an afterthought or mere addition.

Radley77
Sep 8, 2010, 6:34 PM
Get engaged with the City of Calgary Cycling Strategy!

Please complete this survey:

City of Calgary Cycling Strategy Survey (http://www.hargroup.ca/7301p/cycplogn.htm)

Background Info:
City of Calgary Cycling Strategy Action Development Plan (http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_395_203_0_47/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Transportation+Planning/Transportation+Solutions/Cycling/Cycling+Strategy.htm)

Much thanks to the City of Calgary for letting citizens submit ideas, and then evaluation of cost-effectiveness and prioritization.

kw5150
Sep 8, 2010, 7:54 PM
did the survey. It is very detailed. Hopefully something good comes of this. Just like other things in Calgary, the Cycling system is kind of ad hoc. I am getting really tired of drivers being rude to me on the road and I can only wonder why......... I am obeying the rules (for the most part I think).

DavidKuitunen
Sep 11, 2010, 8:13 PM
I took a little trip over to Amsterdam this week and... wow! Their cycling network and mentality is simply amazing. It was my second time in the city but the first time I actually got to hop onto a bike. It was one of the best experiences of the trip and one of my friends who is on a Eurotrip said it may have been the most exciting part of his entire trip.

Although Amsterdam does not have many of the obstacles that Calgary does, Calgary needs to replicate the Dutch. How? By changing our mentality.

Our system is starting to take great strides but it would really take-off if cycling was one of the first things taken into consideration during transportation planning. I'm not saying it needs to come before transit or the private automobile but rather needs to be put at the same level. Basically, it should not be an afterthought or mere addition.

Mentality is the biggest issue Calgary needs to overcome, but how do you get people to get on a bike? Building bike infrastructure seems to just piss off most Calgarians. Ric McIver will probably get elected and the city might not develop into a cyclists paradise, but thats democracy. This city is still great for cycling you just have to get out and figure it all out. It's kind of nice riding on the lonely paths, but having a strong cycling culture would do wonders for public health and solve traffic congestion problems in the inner-city.

DavidKuitunen
Sep 11, 2010, 9:35 PM
The construction worker I talked to said this should be open to the public in a couple weeks.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs335.ash2/61557_1436795597385_1157840211_31033221_6044124_n.jpg

DavidKuitunen
Sep 13, 2010, 5:55 AM
no words can describe how awesome this is.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs304.ash2/58412_10150247618170551_658235550_14665432_2817498_n.jpg

Riise
Sep 13, 2010, 5:29 PM
Mentality is the biggest issue Calgary needs to overcome, but how do you get people to get on a bike? Building bike infrastructure seems to just piss off most Calgarians.

Not as much as building fancy pedestrian bridges and even that still happens.

Looking back at Amsterdam and other cycling cities I have to question what came first, the demand for the facilities or the excellent facilities. I don't think in the beginning people were demanding large amounts of cycling facilities. However, if they were it was probably because it was pre-automobile times and it made sense. Nonetheless, the transportation planner set out with the mindset to build for the bicycle. I believe this is what Calgary needs.

Once we start building for the bicycle we'll start developing the quality of the cycling system to a point where it can start to develop a culture of cycling amongst the population. That is, if people see the excellent facilities and that cycling can be easy and convenient they'll start to consider cycling as a mode of transport for certain tasks/activities. It may take some time but as long as we concentrate on it I believe it can happen.

In a nut shell, I think it is most important for the mentality you mentioned to be held by our transportation planners and applied everywhere. Even though the inner-city has more potential, new suburbs are an opportunity were growth can occur and should not be ignored. Cycling infrastructure should be there from the start.

Ramsayfarian
Sep 13, 2010, 5:42 PM
no words can describe how awesome this is.

Too mad most folks don't realize that green man suit started with "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" .

mooky
Sep 13, 2010, 6:33 PM
Too mad most folks don't realize that green man suit started with "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" .

I could be wrong, but the whole spandex bodysuit thing started as a sexual fetish long before that TV show. Why did I even bother responding to that? :jester:

Ramsayfarian
Sep 13, 2010, 6:51 PM
I could be wrong, but the whole spandex bodysuit thing started as a sexual fetish long before that TV show. Why did I even bother responding to that? :jester:

I'll take your word on that one.

DavidKuitunen
Sep 27, 2010, 10:25 PM
http://www.vimeo.com/15115066

DizzyEdge
Sep 27, 2010, 10:30 PM

Well, looks like I picked the right day to view this thread for the first time. :whip:

Radley77
Sep 28, 2010, 12:23 AM

Wow, am way too risk adverse myself to bike like that. There's a ton more connectivity cyclists could have if a single lane one way was converted to a dual lane cycle. Could start by looking at what parts (and times for that matter) of the downtown transportation system have the most spare capacity. The cycle lane beside Riverfront Avenue is one example of a cycle lane that does not impact traffic flow.

Also, I had never heard of studded tires before before seeing these videos about tips for cycling in Winter in Alberta and thought I'd share (parts 1, 2 and 3).

Winter Cycling in Alberta

XGNNYFK39qg
WUS1G0qzoJ0
c03NazVx5QA

kw5150
Oct 26, 2010, 5:26 PM
I figured this would be a perfect contrast to the videos posted above..... Rob Ford is one twisted, arrogant guy.

nySs1cEq5rs

DavidKuitunen
Nov 25, 2010, 11:28 PM
http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgary/artwork/7/9/7/6/9/179769/maltese_cross-thmb.jpg

SLOW DOWN! (http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgary/public-service-announcement-need-179769.aspx) <--
The Calgary Fire Department would like to warn the public to exercise caution on the river pathway as an ice jam near the Calgary Zoo has caused water to encroach on a section from the Baines Bridge running east to below the Zoo LRT parking lot. Earlier tonight four cyclists traveling along this section of the pathway were surprised to encounter sudden waist-high ice water before being forced to abandon their bicycles and seeking aid for cold water exposure. Due to the ice jam water levels on the section of pathway are rising and may be a foot higher by tomorrow. The combination of ice, current, and cold water is potentially deadly. Pedestrians and cyclists on the pathway should heed signs and barriers and not attempt to travel on this section of pathway until further notice.

*taken from city of calgary website

DavidKuitunen
Dec 3, 2010, 12:39 AM
Calgary google maps now has cycling routes as an alternative to driving or public transit. Link. (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2010/11/27/cgy-google-map-bike-route.html)
I find this helps a tonne when it comes to planning routes. I've been finding bikeways that i never knew existed.

Blood PuP
Dec 10, 2010, 12:57 AM

There should be dedicated bike lanes on all the roads downtown. But that seems like fine riding to me. Aren't bikes supposed to go between cars? Here in San Francisco even motorcycles are supposed to go between cars on the highways below certain speeds.

Riise
Dec 10, 2010, 2:24 AM
There should be dedicated bike lanes on all the roads downtown. But that seems like fine riding to me. Aren't bikes supposed to go between cars? Here in San Francisco even motorcycles are supposed to go between cars on the highways below certain speeds.

Really? I thought outlawing that was a North American thing.

It can be quite helpful in clearing up road space but I simply don't trust the drivers back home to pay enough attention to ensure cyclists' safety.

Blood PuP
Dec 10, 2010, 6:54 PM
Really? I thought outlawing that was a North American thing.

It can be quite helpful in clearing up road space but I simply don't trust the drivers back home to pay enough attention to ensure cyclists' safety.

I will have to ask around about it. I am fairly new to the city and was sitting in traffic on the freeway with some co-workers and watching the motorcycles rip between the cars. The explanation I got was they are supposed to do it when traffic is going below 20 miles an hour and they are not allowed to go over 20 miles an hour while doing it. But the motorcycles do not pay attention and do it faster.

kw5150
Dec 12, 2010, 6:46 PM
I will have to ask around about it. I am fairly new to the city and was sitting in traffic on the freeway with some co-workers and watching the motorcycles rip between the cars. The explanation I got was they are supposed to do it when traffic is going below 20 miles an hour and they are not allowed to go over 20 miles an hour while doing it. But the motorcycles do not pay attention and do it faster.

you are making this all up right? :cheers: If everyone could come to an understanding like that, it would be cool.

When cyclist zips by my car window, it scares the F out of me

Bike lanes all the way. I ride my bike all summer long so I just think weaving in and out of traffic, scaring people is not the best way to attempt to further introduce or promote urban cycling.

UofC.engineer
Dec 12, 2010, 7:46 PM
I figured this would be a perfect contrast to the videos posted above..... Rob Ford is one twisted, arrogant guy.

Rob Ford is a douche bag. Bike lanes increase saftey and even though we live in Canada with long winters bike lanes are cheap to implement. All you need is paint, signs and a plan. It bugs me when I hear politicians talking like this.

hulkrogan
Dec 13, 2010, 9:13 PM
Lots of people stop riding their bike when winter hits not because it's cold (easy enough to dress for) but because there is nowhere to ride that isn't slippery as hell besides possibly in the ruts form car tires which puts you in the way of traffic and makes for a scary commute.

If you have properly cleared bike lanes, no problem. When I ride to work the river pathways are great and fairly well maintained, the roads to get there and the 4 blocks through downtown to get south of the river are brutal and treacherous. If they had cleared bike lanes I think a lot more people would keep riding.

floobie
Dec 13, 2010, 9:41 PM

Wow. People actually voted for this guy?

Also: I'm sure there's a fat joke to be made here.

You Need A Thneed
Dec 13, 2010, 10:05 PM
Lots of people stop riding their bike when winter hits not because it's cold (easy enough to dress for) but because there is nowhere to ride that isn't slippery as hell besides possibly in the ruts form car tires which puts you in the way of traffic and makes for a scary commute.

If you have properly cleared bike lanes, no problem. When I ride to work the river pathways are great and fairly well maintained, the roads to get there and the 4 blocks through downtown to get south of the river are brutal and treacherous. If they had cleared bike lanes I think a lot more people would keep riding.

That is the reason I'm not riding right now. One slip on a packed snow patch and my kids could be without a father.

I'm hoping for a nice warm stretch that will melt those patches off of the road.

kw5150
Apr 19, 2011, 4:39 PM
Time to ressurect this thread. Get out there and cycle to work this year and dont forget the annual event......I forget it EVERY YEAR....lol, but not this year I hope.

http://www.bikecalgary.ca/index.php

kw5150
Apr 20, 2011, 7:20 PM
Dont forget bike to work day this year! May 6th.

You Need A Thneed
Apr 20, 2011, 7:30 PM
Or you could just bike to work every day!

kw5150
Apr 20, 2011, 7:40 PM
Or you could just bike to work every day!

I do already. That is how I get away with drinking lattes.....

kw5150
Apr 21, 2011, 4:48 PM
Bike to work day may 6th

kw5150
May 18, 2011, 8:25 PM
some interesting things happening to cycling ON ROADS in Vancouver and Montreal!

See thread below:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=5282452&posted=1#post5282452

Trogdor
May 18, 2011, 9:21 PM
These photos just make me depressed about Calgary (and not just our lack of greenery). The city has absolutely no plan to make on-street cycling safe or efficient. The one road that would be great for this kind of bike lane would be the Northmount/10th Street/Cambrian Drive connecting the bike path along John Laurie and the North Central area into the downtown. This road is way overbuilt past 16th Ave, there is more than enough capacity to take away one lane all the way into Kensington and have a true bike pathway into the downtown. Linked up with the new Peace Bridge, you have an efficient and safe route into the downtown and avoid the crazy steep hill on 19th Street that city planners thought would be great for a bike route.

And since im venting, can the city properly patch the curbside lane on the bike routes that do exist. Roads likes to make little asphalt cuts to replace curbs that can easily grab and through a bike, and then do the crappiest job patching the road.

kw5150
May 18, 2011, 9:24 PM
The roads department needs a spanking.

5seconds
May 18, 2011, 10:00 PM
Since this would have made a huge impact on the cycle network we currently have, I thought I would post it here (I just posted it in the Ring Road thread, but I thought it was interesting enough to post elsewhere too)

This is the CPR realignment and downtown freeway (Parkway) that was proposed in 1963. It re-located the tracks to the river-front through all of downtown, preventing the parks and paths, and cutting off Princes Island. I have more info if anyone is interested.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a400/jessesalus/Parkway1963map.jpg

hulkrogan
May 20, 2011, 5:57 PM
It still bottles the mind how they deemed the CPR right of way to be more desirable for redevelopment than the riverfront. WTF??

Mazrim
May 20, 2011, 7:24 PM
It still bottles the mind how they deemed the CPR right of way to be more desirable for redevelopment than the riverfront. WTF??
I hope you're going to let us in on how someone "bottles the mind"! Sounds exciting!

CorporateWhore
May 20, 2011, 7:55 PM

I guess it was the thing to do back then, freeways by the waterfront actually came to fruition in more than a few places.....Toronto, New York, Seattle etc.

hulkrogan
May 20, 2011, 9:24 PM
I hope you're going to let us in on how someone "bottles the mind"! Sounds exciting!

You wouldn't understand.

You aren't a Rocket Surgeon or a Brain Scientist. You could probably care less about people who couldn't care less. ;)

(You've really never seen someone screw that phrase up before? I love it when people say "mind bottling". Almost as much as I love the misuse of literally).

I guess it was the thing to do back then, freeways by the waterfront actually came to fruition in more than a few places.....Toronto, New York, Seattle etc.

San Francisco too. I found a cool set of pictures somewhere on here before about cities before and after they tore down their raised freeways.

What was the purpose of that trend? Cheaper and easier to throw them along the water?

Mazrim
May 20, 2011, 9:35 PM
(You've really never seen someone screw that phrase up before? I love it when people say "mind bottling". Almost as much as I love the misuse of literally).

I have! Irregardless of that ( ;) ) I have to call people out when I see stuff like it!

UofC.engineer
May 20, 2011, 11:22 PM
Today I biked the unofficial bike boulevard from Canyon Meadows Station to the dowtown parkade between 9th and 10th ave.

Here is the route:
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=217214862658505105117.0004a3bc9273c6d2c4e61&ll=50.941989,-114.058342&spn=0.036073,0.076818&z=14

The whole length of the system is about 14km and it took me about 40mins to bike. I'm not the fastest guy out there, yet I'm also not the slowest. I'm sure a daily bike commuter could do it in a faster time.

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/trans_planning/cycling/on_street_bicycle_route_improvements_fifth_st.pdf

In the document the city proposed many upgrades, the only one I saw was the bike crossing at 50thave and 5th street. It worked great, a biker can press a button which immediately activates a the lights on 50th to go red.

I hope when the cycling plan comes out on June 10th it contains proposed ugrades to change this route into a real Bike Boulevard. I think there are lots of people in the surrounding communities that would like to bike to downtown more, whether for work or recreation.

Even though the route runs parallel to the C-train line I hope this becomes popular for cyclists in the future.

Some info on Bike boulevards:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_boulevard

5seconds
May 24, 2011, 12:21 AM
San Francisco too. I found a cool set of pictures somewhere on here before about cities before and after they tore down their raised freeways.

What was the purpose of that trend? Cheaper and easier to throw them along the water?

I would love to see that set of pictures. Was it in it's own thread? Can you remember any key words I could search for?

hulkrogan
May 24, 2011, 6:42 PM
I would love to see that set of pictures. Was it in it's own thread? Can you remember any key words I could search for?

I think I might have found the site, check this out: http://www.preservenet.com/freeways/FreewaysEmbarcadero.html

kw5150
May 24, 2011, 6:49 PM
:previous::previous:

thanks for that article......now if we could only do the same thing to the west side of calgary (dealerships, one way ramps, dead trees, dead land)

5seconds
May 24, 2011, 7:44 PM
I think I might have found the site, check this out: http://www.preservenet.com/freeways/FreewaysEmbarcadero.html

Thanks very much, I appreciate it. I cannot believe this comparison especially:

BEFORE
http://www.preservenet.com/freeways/EmbarcaderoBefore2.jpg

AFTER
http://www.preservenet.com/freeways/EmbarcaderoAfter2.jpg

Radley77
Jun 20, 2011, 6:34 PM
Proposed Cycling Strategy:
http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_766_234_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Transportation+Planning/Transportation+solutions/Cycling/Cycling+Strategy.htm

Calgary cycling survey:
http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_766_234_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Transportation+Planning/Transportation+solutions/Cycling/Cycling+Survey+and+Committee+.htm

Calgary Pathway Safety Review Report:
http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/trans_planning/cycling/cycling_strategy/pathway-safety-review-report2011.pdf

CPAC comments on the proposed bike strategy:
http://bikecalgary.org/files/CPAC_LetterCycleStrategy2011.pdf

Just thought I would post some information about the new proposed cycling strategy. Overall, fairly happy with the plan, but think there could be more steps taken that CPAC has outlined to make it so that bike infrastructure spending is more accountable like reporting of priorities, costs and progress.

IMO, I don't view bikeshare as being a low hanging fruit for improving mobility, I think the vast majority of Calgarians already own bikes, and the cost of a bike is low enough it is not an impediment to getting a bike and should only be pursued if there are private sponsors.

I also view wayfinding as being problematic as a cyclist and somthing the cycling strategy didn't address. I find when I am on a bike that I'd prefer to use a designated bike route, that is optimized for how a bike is used, and am willing to bike a bit out of the way in order to get to a safe bike route. As a motorist, I also find it easier when I can identify when I should be more aware of bike traffic. I have found Google Maps to be tremendously valuable for evaluating potential bike routes.

Ramsayfarian
Jun 20, 2011, 9:24 PM
Speaking of cyclists. Last night I was heading west on Memorial just past 10th street and a cyclist was riding west bound on Memorial tying up traffic as he was exercising his right to take up a lane as he's legally entitled.

Normally I don't have an issue when cyclists do this, however since there is a bike lane adjacent to the road I thought he was being a bit of a douche bag. I'm I being too harsh or should he be using the path?

kw5150
Jun 20, 2011, 9:36 PM
Speaking of cyclists. Last night I was heading west on Memorial just past 10th street and a cyclist was riding west bound on Memorial tying up traffic as he was exercising his right to take up a lane as he's legally entitled.

Normally I don't have an issue when cyclists do this, however since there is a bike lane adjacent to the road I thought he was being a bit of a douche bag. I'm I being too harsh or should he be using the path?

I definately think what the cyclist was doing is a bit douchey......but some days it is going to happen until Calgary gets a real strategy for cyclists and vehicles.

Cyclists reacting to traffic is a natural phenomenon that we have to deal with unfortunately. Many cyclists who ride on roads would rather ride right in the middle of the lane than on the side of the lane and be buzzed by cars going 65.

I quit using the bike lanes on the roads becasue of this. I was just peacefully making my home one day (along 10th ave right against the curb) and a UPS truck passed me at about 70km/hr and came within inches of my bike (inches!!!!) and I felt like he didn't care if he murdered me basically. When I asked why he did that, he didn't provide much of explanation besides fuck you. We need more bike / driver education, we also needs bike lanes like the ones in montreal and vancouver.

Some people do not wish to own an automobile because of the obvious cash savings and environmental reasons, and bikes are the only way they get around. Its time people realize that they are doing a good thing and they deserve alittle respect.......Now the bike couriers.........hmmmmm....... I think they are the reason why everyone hates cyclists.

You Need A Thneed
Jun 20, 2011, 10:07 PM

The problem is the speed limit on the pathways. 20km/h is pretty slow for a guy that feels comfortable riding on the road.

Ramsayfarian
Jun 20, 2011, 10:10 PM
I definately think what the cyclist was doing is a bit douchey......but some days it is going to happen until Calgary gets a real strategy for cyclists and vehicles.

Cyclists reacting to traffic is a natural phenomenon that we have to deal with unfortunately. Many cyclists who ride on roads would rather ride right in the middle of the lane than on the side of the lane and be buzzed by cars going 65.

I quit using the bike lanes on the roads becasue of this. I was just peacefully making my home one day (along 10th ave right against the curb) and a UPS truck passed me at about 70km/hr and came within inches of my bike (inches!!!!) and I felt like he didn't care if he murdered me basically. When I asked why he did that, he didn't provide much of explanation besides fuck you. We need more bike / driver education, we also needs bike lanes like the ones in montreal and vancouver.

Some people do not wish to own an automobile because of the obvious cash savings and environmental reasons, and bikes are the only way they get around. Its time people realize that they are doing a good thing and they deserve alittle respect.......Now the bike couriers.........hmmmmm....... I think they are the reason why everyone hates cyclists.

I think there has to be some give and take from both cyclists and drivers. I felt buddy riding down Memorial wasn't winning any drivers over with his taking up a lane on such a busy road.

You should have reported the UPS driver. All you need is his truck number.

Radley77
Jun 20, 2011, 10:11 PM

Sounds like he was being a douchebag IMO. I generally ride where I'm causing the least amount of lost travel time, all things considered. So, if there are 2 or more cars behind a cyclist, I think they ought to reconsider using the pathway even if they have to contend with stopping and starting because of pedestrians and joggers on the pathway.

In that particular section, I have noticed that joggers and pedestrians usually way outnumber cyclists on the pathways. The pathway there is sometimes totally a multiuse path and sometimes fork into two parts and then back into one path, and joggers are spaced every 100m or so using the bike path so it is difficult to travel at a consistently fast speed by bike. Joggers are often listening to music on headphones so am worried that they will not hear a bike approaching as well. IN fact, I would argue that an out of breath jogger listening on their headphones is way less cognizant of surroundings than the average motorist.

Much more difficult to address though is the issue that Memorial Drive and the river get so close that there is not enough room to cheaply expand the pathway. These spots are always going to be a bottleneck for cyclists.

Personally, when I am looking for speed, I like travelling at dusk on streets with my LED lights on. Much less traffic to contend with and can travel as fast as I like.

Ramsayfarian
Jun 20, 2011, 10:17 PM
The problem is the speed limit on the pathways. 20km/h is pretty slow for a guy that feels comfortable riding on the road.

And the speed limit on Memorial is 50 in that section and most traffic is going 60+. If he could have kept up with the flow of traffic it wouldn't have been an issue. Not entirely sure if he felt comfortable on the road or he's just an idiot.

There was a time in my life, that I didn't own a car and road everywhere and felt very comfortable in traffic, but there's no way in the world I'd ride down Memorial.

polishavenger
Jun 20, 2011, 10:19 PM
And the speed limit on Memorial is 50 in that section and most traffic is going 60+. If he could have kept up with the flow of traffic it wouldn't have been an issue. Not entirely sure if he felt comfortable on the road or he's just an idiot.

There was a time in my life, that I didn't own a car and road everywhere and felt very comfortable in traffic, but there's no way in the world I'd ride down Memorial.

Unless the bicyclist is willing to go the speed limit of traffic, they shouldnt be on the road. Just like a driver going too slow is dangerous, so is a bike. Im pro bikes sharing the road, they just have to follow the rules.

Radley77
Jun 20, 2011, 10:20 PM
I took my bikes out and rode the Canmore to Banff legacy trail this weekend. Stopped in at Banff for some fudge. It's probably now on my list of top ten things to do in Alberta.
It's 25 km, or about 50 minutes there and 50 minutes back. Makes an awesome day trip!

Ramsayfarian
Jun 20, 2011, 10:37 PM
Sounds like he was being a douchebag IMO. I generally ride where I'm causing the least amount of lost travel time, all things considered. So, if there are 2 or more cars behind a cyclist, I think they ought to reconsider using the pathway even if they have to contend with stopping and starting because of pedestrians and joggers on the pathway.

In that particular section, I have noticed that joggers and pedestrians usually way outnumber cyclists on the pathways. The pathway there is sometimes totally a multiuse path and sometimes fork into two parts and then back into one path, and joggers are spaced every 100m or so using the bike path so it is difficult to travel at a consistently fast speed by bike. Joggers are often listening to music on headphones so am worried that they will not hear a bike approaching as well. IN fact, I would argue that an out of breath jogger listening on their headphones is way less cognizant of surroundings than the average motorist.

Much more difficult to address though is the issue that Memorial Drive and the river get so close that there is not enough room to cheaply expand the pathway. These spots are always going to be a bottleneck for cyclists.

Personally, when I am looking for speed, I like travelling at dusk on streets with my LED lights on. Much less traffic to contend with and can travel as fast as I like.

Most joggers if they've jogged on our path system for any amount of time know to keep right. Tourists and the clueless are a different case, but except for the most stunned, folks quickly figure out to keep on the right side of the path.

Personally, I'd rather deal with the joggers and walkers than get smooshed by a vehicle on Memorial.

You Need A Thneed
Jun 20, 2011, 10:41 PM
Unless the bicyclist is willing to go the speed limit of traffic, they shouldnt be on the road. Just like a driver going too slow is dangerous, so is a bike. Im pro bikes sharing the road, they just have to follow the rules.

This leaves no place for riders who want to ride faster than 20km/h (which is pretty slow). "Following the rules" means that they have to ride on the road, not on the path. It's not illegal to go lower than the speed limit. It is illegal to go faster than it.

MalcolmTucker
Jun 20, 2011, 10:58 PM
It is a bit of bad form taking a full lane unless people are really abusing you into the shoulder of the road / off the road, or there is a dangerous amount of gravel.

kw5150
Jun 20, 2011, 11:04 PM
also remember that when you are on your bike....just coasting and going slow.....you are still moving ten times faster than the people walking. There is no real need to speed in dense pedestrian areas.

When I do want to go around people I just drive on the grass now and make my own path. There are many people who simply do not move at all......

Ramsayfarian
Jun 20, 2011, 11:05 PM
This leaves no place for riders who want to ride faster than 20km/h (which is pretty slow). "Following the rules" means that they have to ride on the road, not on the path. It's not illegal to go lower than the speed limit. It is illegal to go faster than it.

No one is saying keep cyclists off the road. I think the general consensus here, is stay off really busy roads.

BTW, it is illegal to go lower than the speed limit. It's called impeding traffic. I'm pretty sure that this can apply to cyclists as well.

You Need A Thneed
Jun 20, 2011, 11:08 PM
No one is saying keep cyclists off the road. I think the general consensus here, is stay off really busy roads.

BTW, it is illegal to go lower than the speed limit. It's called impeding traffic. I'm pretty sure that this can apply to cyclists as well.

If that were the case, there would be no such thing as a slow moving vehicle sign. I think to get an impeding traffic charge, you would have to show that you were wilfully attempting to delay traffic, and not simply because your vehicle doesn't go faster.

Although I'd like the police to be able to ticket people driving 10 under the limit...

Jimby
Jun 20, 2011, 11:35 PM
Bike couriers are what keep the local economy moving. They are working on commission so if they aren't hustling, they aren't making money.
They deserve the respect of the very people who depend on them. It doesn't give them the right to ignore the rules of the road, but then I see every Cadillac Escalade/Canyonero/Range Rover driver break every rule because they feel they are so fucking self-important they are above the law because threy are so privileged.

Radley77
Jun 21, 2011, 12:48 AM
One of the other opportunities I think there is to improve cycling, pedestrian and motorist interaction is having onstreet bike routes in residential communities that run parallel and offsetting the major thoroughfares. This is a good fit in general because residential communities want traffic to be slow (30 kmphrish) and this also fits with the speeds at which cyclists travel.

Another point is that their is also a poor job at identifying synergies between the existing pathway system and the onstreet road system. Sometimes the systems have amazing potential to link up but there isn't sidewalk at grade to transfer to the next pathway from the onstreet route.

The other point I think is important is legibility of the cycling route. Cyclists shouldn't be on Memorial Drive or other fast thoroughfares in general because the speeds are too fast and should be able to identify exits to say Broadview Rd NW that crosses over Memorial Drive from the Bow River pathway.

Ramsayfarian
Jun 21, 2011, 4:43 AM
If that were the case, there would be no such thing as a slow moving vehicle sign. I think to get an impeding traffic charge, you would have to show that you were wilfully attempting to delay traffic, and not simply because your vehicle doesn't go faster.

Although I'd like the police to be able to ticket people driving 10 under the limit...

Try driving a tractor down Deerfoot tomorrow at around 11 am and see what happens. Slow moving vehicle signs are to warn the vehicles approaching you , they do not give you immunity from tickets.

I didn't have any luck finding how Impeding Traffic is defined for Alberta, but did find this generic definition from an American site:

Impeding traffic is typically defined when not operating a vehicle reasonably, so as to block the normal flow of traffic. It typically is used in cases where a person is blocking an intersection or driving too slow and causing a log jam. Laws vary by jurisdiction, but are generally follow a standard of "reasonable operation".

The site then gives an example of a legal definition (http://definitions.uslegal.com/i/impeding-traffic/) from an unknown state.

Of course it's up to a cop to decide if my friend was impeding traffic or not. Not sure if buddy warranted a ticket, but he did deserve getting pulled over and receive a mild lecture and a maybe a mild tazering.

Ramsayfarian
Jun 21, 2011, 4:44 AM
Nothing to read here

Radley77
Jun 21, 2011, 5:24 AM
I was out biking tonight and biked 30 km. Both along the paths as well as designated offstreet bike routes. My general observation from my friend as well was that we preferred to be on the pathways. However, we found pedestrians to be the most erratic. It's common that people would leave baby strollers across the pathway, 15 foot leashes for dogs, toddlers that have no adult supervision, or people walking on the left hand side of the pathway for no reason, or people walking onto the pathways with their backs facing oncoming cyclists. It's very difficult to travel at a reasonably quick rate as a cyclist when there is pedestrians that are oblivious to the safety hazards that they are creating.

One story I had was when I was out with my uncle, a 50 year old native Calgarian, and he said that a bike was a vehichle while on the road and had to follow the Alberta Traffic Act. He then went on to say that on the pathways that pedestrians always had right of way on the pathway and that they could do whatever they liked on the pathway. About 5 minutes later, nearly nominating himself for a Darwin Award, he was narrowly clipped by a biker as he walked backwards onto the pathway. Incidents like this lead me to believe that there is much more pedestrian education and signage that is needed. Generally, the majority of cyclists wear helmuts and those are the ones that know the rules of the road and pathway best.

Anyways just a general observation, but to me it seems like motorists are much better at treating bikes with respect and caution needed to prevent safety hazards as compared to pedestrians.

kw5150
Jun 21, 2011, 4:16 PM
seriously guys. Look at what montreal and Vancouver are doing. That is all we need to do!! See below:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=191039