PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : VPD Chief Chu Rips Into Pivot Legal

whatnext
Dec 16, 2009, 3:50 AM
And about time too.

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Vancouver Police Chief Jim Chu is calling out groups who he says tainted the public's perception of the Michael Vann Hubbard shooting. That includes the Pivot Legal Society, and media outlets that were critical of the VPD in the days after Vann Hubbard was shot....

Adam Smolcic--who claimed Vancouver Police erased his cell phone video footage of the shooting--is being accused of duping the public about the incident. A charge of public mischief is now being recommended against Smolcic. At a news conference today, Chief Chu took aim at Smolcic's actions, and those who supported him. "If it is one day proven that Mr. Smolcic's intent was to discredit the Vancouver Police, damage police morale, place great stress on the involved police officers, and damage the public's trust, I want to note that he didn't act alone."

Chu says the Pivot Legal Society rushed to judgement without knowing all the facts. ..."
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/more.jsp?content=20091215_175831_1116

zivan56
Dec 16, 2009, 3:55 AM
Wow, they shot a guy dead who was mentally unstable and they are trying to shift the story to a random witness to draw attention away from them.
Last I heard, they had pepper spray, batons, tasers, and there were two of them with others nearby yet they chose to shoot him dead. That is the only thing I care about, not Pivot or some random witness. They just shot themselves in the foot with this press release.

nova9
Dec 16, 2009, 5:16 AM
Wow, they shot a guy dead who was mentally unstable and they are trying to shift the story to a random witness to draw attention away from them.
Last I heard, they had pepper spray, batons, tasers, and there were two of them with others nearby yet they chose to shoot him dead. That is the only thing I care about, not Pivot or some random witness. They just shot themselves in the foot with this press release.

You forget to mention that the mental guy had an exacto knife held up as a WEAPON!!!

The officers were cleared of any wrongdoing by a separate police jurisdiction and the issue and the press conference was not about that issue but on the actions that happened after the incident where this punk tried to deceive the public and turn opinion against the VPD (they can do that themselves thank you) by lying and falsifying claims and evidence.

ckkelley
Dec 16, 2009, 5:22 AM
I figured it was 'suicide by cop' from the beginning. The guy that lied about the account is an absolutely loathsome human.

I'm guessing that on his account of the incident, the victim's family was whipped into a litigious frenzy and now they are going to see that they were played for fools.

WarrenC12
Dec 16, 2009, 5:47 AM

Actually they didn't have tasers at the time. Current procedure would be to taser the guy first. But, of course that's evil too isn't it? :koko:

Move towards the police (or anyone for that matter) in a threatening manner with a weapon, when they have guns aimed at you, is asking for it. The fact that he had mental issues is irrelevant to the police response. That's a separate issue, and too bad, but the police aren't to blame.

People are so quick to blame some government institution for their problems.

zivan56
Dec 16, 2009, 5:58 AM
You forget to mention that the mental guy had an exacto knife held up as a WEAPON!!!

The officers were cleared of any wrongdoing by a separate police jurisdiction and the issue and the press conference was not about that issue but on the actions that happened after the incident where this punk tried to deceive the public and turn opinion against the VPD (they can do that themselves thank you) by lying and falsifying claims and evidence.

Wow, an exacto knife. That's more dangerous than 2 people with a gun! :rolleyes:
Yes, fair and impartial investigation. I guess I can get a friend to investigate me if I am accused of something?

Actually they didn't have tasers at the time. Current procedure would be to taser the guy first. But, of course that's evil too isn't it? :koko:

Move towards the police (or anyone for that matter) in a threatening manner with a weapon, when they have guns aimed at you, is asking for it. The fact that he had mental issues is irrelevant to the police response. That's a separate issue, and too bad, but the police aren't to blame.

People are so quick to blame some government institution for their problems.

Wow, just wow :yuck:
They still had pepper spray and outnumbered him. I'm sure one of them could have had a gun ready and the other pepper spray him. Instead, they took the easy (and cowardly) way out.

Nothing wrong with using a taser in this situation. Using a taser on an unarmed invididual dozens of times and putting the full weight of 3 people on them IS evil.

Still murder in my eyes, typical shoot first ask later police mentality.

mezzanine
Dec 16, 2009, 7:10 AM
double post

mezzanine
Dec 16, 2009, 7:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gCCjFbFXn8

"Chris Rock - How To Not Get Your Ass Kicked By The Police"

whatnext
Dec 16, 2009, 8:03 AM
Wow, an exacto knife. That's more dangerous than 2 people with a gun! :rolleyes:

Wow, an exacto knife, you couldn't hijack a plane with that. Oh wait a minute...

Ever seen the damage someone high can do with a blade?

...Still murder in my eyes, typical shoot first ask later police mentality.

I guess repeating telling the guy to drop the weapon doesn't count as "asking questions" in your book.

It always amazes me that David Eby came close to winning a spot on the Vision slate.

cornholio
Dec 16, 2009, 9:41 AM
Surprised there are still people supporting the VPD, the VPD is even worse run then the RCMP. I have zero respect for both the organization and the ridiculously poorly trained employees that make it up. My views are mostly based on personal experiences and knowledge of the organization through some close friends.

WarrenC12
Dec 16, 2009, 3:59 PM
The usual APC/anti-cop/anarchy types in here. People complain that the RCMP and VPD will never admit their mistakes, yet when some douchebag makes claims about the VPD that are proven to be false, where's his apology?

Police are human beings. It's a lot like the border guards. Ya, there are pricks in there, that type of job tends to attract them. Just suck it up buttercup, be polite, obey the law, and you'll have nothing to worry about.

As usual, Chris Rock is funny because what he says is true.

WBC
Dec 16, 2009, 4:53 PM
It's a lot like the border guards. Ya, there are pricks in there, that type of job tends to attract them. Just suck it up buttercup, be polite, obey the law, and you'll have nothing to worry about.

I take pleasure in knowing that they will be replaced by kiosks/machines one by one very soon...

nova9
Dec 16, 2009, 5:43 PM
Not really related to this issue but I am always surprised by the constant need of people in the West to be confrontational or disobey. Seriously. This attitude people take to the police.

Yes, the VPD has erred majorly many times, but that does NOT discount the bravery and compassion I have seen amongst many in the force. And as a teacher in Vancouver, I come across many officers working in our schools and doing advocacy work and really attempting to make a difference to disadvantaged or at risk youth. What have you or anti-police people done?

p78hub
Dec 16, 2009, 6:14 PM
If you're so against the VPD, just move to another city. It's not like other cities have police forces with use-of-force issu- oh wait...

ckkelley
Dec 16, 2009, 8:28 PM
I take pleasure in knowing that they will be replaced by kiosks/machines one by one very soon...

lol! Really?? I guess I missed that thread.

ckkelley
Dec 16, 2009, 8:29 PM
The usual APC/anti-cop/anarchy types in here. People complain that the RCMP and VPD will never admit their mistakes, yet when some douchebag makes claims about the VPD that are proven to be false, where's his apology?

Police are human beings. It's a lot like the border guards. Ya, there are pricks in there, that type of job tends to attract them. Just suck it up buttercup, be polite, obey the law, and you'll have nothing to worry about.

As usual, Chris Rock is funny because what he says is true.

I guess Mr. Hubbard would have been wise to view that video by Chris Rock.

You're right WarrenC12, hilarious and true!

WBC
Dec 16, 2009, 10:27 PM
lol! Really?? I guess I missed that thread.

It's just a project I am working on. Next time when you are in the customs hall you can see 6 kiosks (soon to be 12) on the left side of the hall (not to be mixed up with Nexus kiosks). These have replaced the original first generation kiosks that had a number of hardware problems...