PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : What is your weather today? (II)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101

Aylmer
Oct 30, 2010, 12:26 PM
Feel free to discuss the Weather - Canada's real favourite pastime - for another 10 000 posts.

So Ottawa's due for 2cm of snow tomorrow!

Our first real accumulation of the year!

:)

freeweed
Oct 30, 2010, 3:31 PM
As long as I have been alive and that I can remember, Winnipeg doesn't usually see any significant snows until after Haloween. In the last decade, the first real snowfall has usually occured in late November, early December. The norm for snowfall in this city is changing, resulting in later snowfall and earlier spring melts.

You haven't been alive very long then. For most of my life, I'd say snow in Winnipeg has been a 50/50 proposition on Halloween. It used to be an annual discussion when figuring out costumes - we always had to plan taking snow into account, and some years wear the snowsuit, some not. And as a person having a birthday in very late November, I can tell you how many years I experienced in my life with zero snow before my birthday - exactly one.

Now, we may be having differences of opinion on what "real snow" constitutes. I've seen 1ajs's pictures and to some, that isn't really snow. :shrug:

RTD
Oct 30, 2010, 3:40 PM
You haven't been alive very long then. For most of my life, I'd say snow in Winnipeg has been a 50/50 proposition on Halloween. It used to be an annual discussion when figuring out costumes - we always had to plan taking snow into account, and some years wear the snowsuit, some not. And as a person having a birthday in very late November, I can tell you how many years I experienced in my life with zero snow before my birthday - exactly one.

Now, we may be having differences of opinion on what "real snow" constitutes. I've seen 1ajs's pictures and to some, that isn't really snow. :shrug:

Yes, some years have had snow (I would say maybe a third), but I am relatively close to your age based on some of your posts I've read that help reveal your approximate age, and yes most years we didn't have a permanent snowpack by the time Haloween came. As I stated before, a "skiff" of snow isn't really a significant "snowfall" in my opinion. Only a couple of times have I ever had to wear a snowsuite trick or treating. Most years I was fine with a jacket underneath, as many years it was indeed cold enough on Halloween (but no snow yet) and some years were warm enough that I didn't need a jacket. A few years I even wore shorts as the temps was over 15 (three times to be exact) and a few times had to wear a rain jacket. Halloween weather is very variable in Winnipeg, as it is across the rest of the prairies, you can expect anything at anytime.

Jay in Cowtown
Oct 30, 2010, 3:44 PM
Nothing pisses me off more than snow on Halloween... which rarely happens even in Calgary, but does occasionally!

How the hell is Michael Myers supposed to lurk through backyards in a snow drift? :shrug:

Jay in Cowtown
Oct 30, 2010, 7:39 PM
I'm sorry but I could never live in the prairies. Having a nice warm september is great... but it doesn't make up for a crappy June/July/August. I need my lazy, relaxing summer days.

huh?!?

oh, you mean while you play with your toys in your sandbox? :haha:

Yes, hopefully someday the prairies will get "lazy, relaxing summer days" too... wow! :koko:

vid
Oct 30, 2010, 7:46 PM
7 and sunny. The dewpoint is -11.5! Strong winds from the north, 22 with gusts in the mid 30s.

Hallowe'en is going to be cold and clear this year. No snow in the forecast. We got some very light snow blowing in the wind on Thursday at lunchtime but no accumulation yet.

Metro-One
Oct 30, 2010, 9:42 PM
A nice mild 14 today, these are the fall days I love, a slight wind, many leaves falling off the trees that have turned already, sunny breaks between very interesting cloud cover...

MonctonRad
Oct 30, 2010, 10:02 PM
I miss the old thread! :(

I was at the AUS football game today in Sackville NB. MTA defeated St FX 33-12. Anyway, it was a breezy 3 deg C and there was a brief snow shower at the end of the fourth quarter.

This seems kinda early for this crap! :(

PoscStudent
Oct 30, 2010, 10:33 PM
It was 16 degrees 9:30 this morning in St. John's but it went down to 12 by mid afternon. It was windy today though and pretty cloudy it's currently 7 degrees.

Calgarian
Oct 30, 2010, 11:09 PM
I'm sorry but I could never live in the prairies. Having a nice warm september is great... but it doesn't make up for a crappy June/July/August. I need my lazy, relaxing summer days.

Have you ever been to the prairies? aside from the foothills, the prairies probably have one of the best summers in Canada. When I lived in Medicine hat it was 30 or above pretty much all the time from late June to early September, and it hit 40 a couple times. This summer basically didn't happen, but you can't judge an entire region off one abnormal summer.

Dmajackson
Oct 30, 2010, 11:30 PM
Freezing drizzle in higher spots in Halifax this afternoon. Cold rain randomly came down elsewhere.

Darkoshvilli
Oct 30, 2010, 11:52 PM
Snow rain mix and 3c in Montreal right now.

Boris2k7
Oct 31, 2010, 12:14 AM
In the valley it was a windy day and partly cloudy day. I saw a hint of snow in there, but nothing substantial enough to leave a trace.

One of my roommates complained about snow in October. I laughed.

flar
Oct 31, 2010, 12:34 AM
Snowing in Ottawa

someone123
Oct 31, 2010, 1:27 AM
In the valley it was a windy day and partly cloudy day. I saw a hint of snow in there, but nothing substantial enough to leave a trace.

One of my roommates complained about snow in October. I laughed.

That would be really unusual along the Atlantic coast but might be a bit more common in the Valley. It's interesting how much colder the average low in, say, Greenwood is compared to the coast - around 5-6 in coastal locations and around 2 in the Valley.

In the springtime however it warms up much faster in the Annapolis Valley.

It is interesting to compare an inland station (Greenwood (http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_e.html?Province=ALL&StationName=greenwood&SearchType=BeginsWith&LocateBy=Province&Proximity=25&ProximityFrom=City&StationNumber=&IDType=MSC&CityName=&ParkName=&LatitudeDegrees=&LatitudeMinutes=&LongitudeDegrees=&LongitudeMinutes=&NormalsClass=A&SelNormals=&StnId=6354&)) with a more maritime station (Charlesville (http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_e.html?Province=ALL&StationName=charlesville&SearchType=BeginsWith&LocateBy=Province&Proximity=25&ProximityFrom=City&StationNumber=&IDType=MSC&CityName=&ParkName=&LatitudeDegrees=&LatitudeMinutes=&LongitudeDegrees=&LongitudeMinutes=&NormalsClass=A&SelNormals=&StnId=6318&&autofwd=1)). Both have roughly the same average temperature but a different distribution.

dsim249
Oct 31, 2010, 5:02 AM
Have you ever been to the prairies? aside from the foothills, the prairies probably have one of the best summers in Canada. When I lived in Medicine hat it was 30 or above pretty much all the time from late June to early September, and it hit 40 a couple times. This summer basically didn't happen, but you can't judge an entire region off one abnormal summer.

Yeah, not to mention Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina and Winnipeg are the top 5 sunniest cities in Canada. :tup:

freeweed
Oct 31, 2010, 6:11 AM
Pure sun today. Even though the high didn't make it much past 10 or so, it was so sunny that I've had to turn my furnace completely off. My house was pushing 24 by the end of the day even at that.

And we're still forecasting 19 for Wednesday. In November. It just keeps being awesome in Calgary. :tup:

vid
Oct 31, 2010, 4:33 PM
it was so sunny that I've had to turn my furnace completely off. My house was pushing 24 by the end of the day even at that.

I love how in the winter it will be -25 outside but if you touch the window frame it is 60. :crazy:

Currently it is 2, or 35 if I stick my hand in the sunlight by the window.

freeweed
Oct 31, 2010, 8:53 PM
Its pretty much like that every year. Alberta gets more rain and lightning than sun in the summer

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

No seriously, have you ever BEEN to the prairies???

This summer was considered one of the "worst" (ie: too much rain) by most people here, because we had rain every 3-5 days.

Hint: we're known as a semi-arid climate for a reason. Secondary hint: "arid" means the opposite of rain.

PoscStudent
Oct 31, 2010, 9:27 PM
7 degrees and mostly sunny in St. John's.

Jay in Cowtown
Oct 31, 2010, 10:56 PM
Perfect Halloween day... 12c with a nice warm west wind blowing some leaves around, an erie chinook cloud bank over the rockies but either wise clear as a bell.

Think I'll pop in Halloween DVD (no, not Rob Zombie's garbage) and wait for some rats to come to my door to scare! :D

1ajs
Oct 31, 2010, 11:11 PM
Its pretty much like that every year. Alberta gets more rain and lightning than sun in the summer
:jester::koko:
what?

SpongeG
Oct 31, 2010, 11:15 PM
i miss the lightning you guys get on the praries - we rarely get it here - where i grew up we would get lots if lightning and odd little rain storms that would appear and disappear in 5 minutes - i can remember standing at one of the block and it would be sunny and you could literally walk down the block and see a line where it was raining

plus all those storms where there was just lightning and thunder and no rain

Nicko999
Nov 1, 2010, 12:34 AM
Was 22C in KC yesterday... we played beach volleyball:cool:

freeweed
Nov 1, 2010, 12:57 AM
i miss the lightning you guys get on the praries - we rarely get it here - where i grew up we would get lots if lightning and odd little rain storms that would appear and disappear in 5 minutes - i can remember standing at one of the block and it would be sunny and you could literally walk down the block and see a line where it was raining

plus all those storms where there was just lightning and thunder and no rain

True. Good lightning storms make rain almost bearable. I miss the really crazy violent storms Manitoba gets; Calgary has thundershowers (and thunderflurries, which is just an awesome word) but they're nowhere near as intense.

Darkoshvilli
Nov 1, 2010, 1:13 AM
I remember a few years ago in Montreal there was a huge snow storm with lightning to go along with it. How common is something like that?

Jay in Cowtown
Nov 1, 2010, 1:19 AM
Was 22C in KC yesterday... we played beach volleyball:cool:

Go to the Chiefs game today?

freeweed
Nov 1, 2010, 1:51 AM
I remember a few years ago in Montreal there was a huge snow storm with lightning to go along with it. How common is something like that?

Very rare in most places, in my experience. In Calgary we generally see it at least once a year, sometimes a few times. It's pretty cool and bizarre especially when you're not used to it.

Metro-One
Nov 1, 2010, 2:13 AM
About 5 years ago i saw that for the first time ever in Vancouver, it was the strangest day of weather I have ever experienced.

It was in December I think, Got up early morning, was sunny and 14, then by noon it had clouded over and was about 8, come 3pm it was only about 2, and we had wind gusts over 100km (I remember this because I was in Surrey stuck on the skytrain, they had to close the Expo line because there were tree branches and a couple satellite dishes blown onto the track), then around 4 the wind calmed down but it hailed shortly, then finally at 5pm it was -1, it started snowing and there was lighting.

I will never forget that day, it was like living a years worth of weather in one day.

Anyways, handing out candy now, is a nice mild 10 degree evening, no rain so far, so still nice and dry. looks like Kamloops may have the best Halloween this year in Canada, was sunny and 15 there today and they are having a mild evening now.

SpongeG
Nov 1, 2010, 2:52 AM
yup i remember that day

its quiet around here not too many kids but lots of fireworks so loud

Darkoshvilli
Nov 1, 2010, 4:30 AM
Very rare in most places, in my experience. In Calgary we generally see it at least once a year, sometimes a few times. It's pretty cool and bizarre especially when you're not used to it.

It was the first time I ever experienced it and it was amazing. Don't think it happened since then. (winter of 07-08)

It was a cool and cloudy Halloween here with a high of 2 and a -4 dewpoint.

freeweed
Nov 1, 2010, 4:38 AM
Got up early morning, was sunny and 14, then by noon it had clouded over and was about 8, come 3pm it was only about 2, and we had wind gusts over 100km (I remember this because I was in Surrey stuck on the skytrain, they had to close the Expo line because there were tree branches and a couple satellite dishes blown onto the track), then around 4 the wind calmed down but it hailed shortly, then finally at 5pm it was -1, it started snowing and there was lighting.

I will never forget that day, it was like living a years worth of weather in one day.

Yeah, in Calgary with call that "weather in any month with an R in the name". :haha:

Calgarian
Nov 1, 2010, 1:00 PM
Hint: Its a semi-arid climate because of the lack of humidity

That's a hell of an insight, you figure that out on your own?

Seriously, stop trolling and posting BS as if it were a fact. We do get thunderstorms on a lot of days, but that doesn't mean it rains all the time. Like I said, aside from the foothills, the prairies have one of the best summers in the country, it's generally warm and sunny.

freeweed
Nov 1, 2010, 1:33 PM

Which is caused by...

MolsonExport
Nov 1, 2010, 3:47 PM

yeah! and Vancouver is a semi-humid climate because of a lack of aridity. :tup:

freeweed
Nov 1, 2010, 3:58 PM
yeah! and Vancouver is a semi-humid climate because of a lack of aridity. :tup:

Quebec is semi-Francophone due to a lack of Anglophones.

Dmajackson
Nov 1, 2010, 7:43 PM
Just had a quick sunny ice pellet shower in the Valley.

Other than that its been around 5C and sunny/cloudy today with a nice rainbow outside my classroom window around lunch. :)

Metro-One
Nov 1, 2010, 10:40 PM
Warm spots today seem to be Kamloops, Lethbridge & Medicine Hat, all reaching 17 so far today. Pretty Good for Nov 1st.

freeweed
Nov 1, 2010, 10:49 PM
Calgary is still sitting at 15, about a bazillion degrees above normal. "Pretty good" is the understatement of the year. Bummer about the ski season (2 hills planned on opening this week, the third next) but I'll take this in exchange! :notacrook:

MolsonExport
Nov 1, 2010, 11:03 PM
Quebec is semi-Francophone due to a lack of Anglophones.

heheh. And teabaggers are semi-retarded due to a lack of grey matter. :D

Calgarian
Nov 2, 2010, 1:15 AM
Calgary is still sitting at 15, about a bazillion degrees above normal. "Pretty good" is the understatement of the year. Bummer about the ski season (2 hills planned on opening this week, the third next) but I'll take this in exchange! :notacrook:

Ive found that when the hills get a great start to the season, it usually ends up kind of crappy by mid season, but when the season starts slow, it ends up better.

freeweed
Nov 2, 2010, 3:21 AM
Ive found that when the hills get a great start to the season, it usually ends up kind of crappy by mid season, but when the season starts slow, it ends up better.

My observation in my whopping 3 seasons of skiing, too. Here's hoping! (Although I heard Sunshine and Louise got dumped on late today) :D

Nicko999
Nov 2, 2010, 6:07 AM
Go to the Chiefs game today?

Unfortunatly not, but we won in OT(thanks Buffalo for sucking).:tup:

Some rain mixed with snow showers at the top of Vermont's mountains on my way back. It was only a few flakes and didn't accumulate but it is the first snow for me this season.:P

Metro-One
Nov 2, 2010, 7:06 AM
Nikko, looks like you got a big update to do on the freeze list, yesterday Hamilton went down to -2.9, Sarnia went down to -0.2, London froze deep with -5, and Windsor also dipped below 0 but yesterday's high and lows have not been posted yet.

Nicko999
Nov 2, 2010, 10:33 PM
Nikko, looks like you got a big update to do on the freeze list, yesterday Hamilton went down to -2.9, Sarnia went down to -0.2, London froze deep with -5, and Windsor also dipped below 0 but yesterday's high and lows have not been posted yet.

Meanwhile, Montreal's coldest temperature is still -0.7C and we haven't had a killing freeze(-3C) yet. The basswoods on my street are just starting to turn yellow now. Let's see if they can hold to their leaves until mid-November.

FREEZE LIST---Sarnia, Windsor, Hamilton and London are added.

Aug 29: Whitehorse: -0.1C(Froze 16 days earlier than last year)
Sep 10: Iqaluit: -1.6C(Froze 1 day earlier than last year)
Sep 10: Kuujjuaq: -0.5C(Froze 2 days earlier than last year)
Sep 15: Thunder Bay: -2.0C(Froze 14 days earlier than last year)
Sep 16: Edmonton: -0.9C(Froze 15 days earlier than last year)
Sep 16: Yellowknife: -0.4C(Froze 20 days earlier than last year)
Sep 17: Saskatoon: -1.6C(Froze 11 days earlier than last year)
Sep 17: Regina: -1.5C(Froze 19 days earlier than last year)
Sep 18: Edmundston: -0.7C(Froze 12 days later than last year)
Sep 18: Calgary: -0.5C(Froze 13 days earlier than last year)
Sep 19: Winnipeg: -1.5C(Froze 10 days earlier than last year)
Sep 19: Sept-Iles: -0.5C(Froze 10 days later than last year)
Sep 21: Sherbrooke: -0.5C(Froze 2 days later than last year)
Oct 3: Fredericton: -0.1C(Froze 7 days later than last year)
Oct 11: Saint John: -1.7C(Froze 1 day earlier than last year)
Oct 12: Ottawa: -0.2C(Froze on the same day as last year)
Oct 13: Moncton: -0.9C(Froze 26 days later than last year)
Oct 16: Kamloops: -0.6C(Froze 7 days later than last year)
Oct 17: Osoyoos: -1.1C(Froze 9 days later than last year)
Oct 18: Quebec City: -1.9C(Froze 7 days later than last year)
Oct 20: Charlottetown: -0.5C(Froze 5 days later than last year)
Oct 20: Halifax: -0.1C(Froze 6 days later than last year)
Oct 22: Toronto: -0.2C(Froze 11 days later than last year)
Oct 23: Montreal: -0.7C(Froze 9 days later than last year)
Oct 31: London: -3.2C(Froze 20 days later than last year)
Oct 31: Hamilton: -1.7C(Froze 20 days later than last year)
Nov 1: Windsor: -0.4C(Froze 14 days later than last year)
Nov 1: Sarnia: -0.2C(Froze 21 days later than last year)

Cities left: Vancouver, Victoria and St John's.

SpongeG
Nov 2, 2010, 10:42 PM
did anyone see the map on CBC news this morning? west WARM east FREEZE
completely divided half way

Metro-One
Nov 2, 2010, 10:44 PM
(meant for Nikkos comment, hehe):previous: You have to love that, still no freeze along the coast, my garden and everyone else's are still lush and green, in fact I have to cut my lawn today or tomorrow, still growing like a weed. Today is beautiful, it is currently 15 at YVR and 17 in White Rock and Agassiz, with pure sunshine! Tomorrow is suppose to be a repeat.

Nice in the interior as ell with 15 in Kamloops and 16 in Penticton.

SpongeG
Nov 2, 2010, 11:16 PM
yah i've never seen that on the map though - it was like literally down the middle of canada a straight line - one half warm one half cold - somewhere around manitoba was the line

someone123
Nov 2, 2010, 11:55 PM
It is way below normal in the Maritimes - much of NS saw high temperatures of 2 degrees when the norm is about 10 degrees. The normal low in many of these places is 2-4 degrees. Seems like it's been a little cooler than normal there for a while. It's probably not very common to see a night below freezing in Halifax before Montreal.

Meanwhile, tomorrow's also supposed to be 15 and sunny around Vancouver.

freeweed
Nov 3, 2010, 12:28 AM
did anyone see the map on CBC news this morning? west WARM east FREEZE
completely divided half way

If you obsessively watch nation-wide weather patterns, this is pretty typical. It isn't just an old saying, it's true: warm in the west, cold in the east (and vice-versa).

I suspect it has to do with how the jetstream is influenced by the time it hits the center of the continent. Oftentimes just east of Manitoba there's a sharp line dividing "below normal" from "above normal". In fact I can only remember a handful of days in my life where it seems like the entire country is either above or below normal.

I'm sure someone that's studied this on a more formal basis (ie: not just looking at maps every day) can provide firmer facts.

RTD
Nov 3, 2010, 2:20 AM
Pretty fantastic day in Winnipeg today. Got up to around 14 or 15C and plenty of sun. I'll take it for early November!

Darkoshvilli
Nov 3, 2010, 3:05 AM
High of 6 with sun and clouds today.

Nicko999
Nov 3, 2010, 6:09 AM
Cold... 6C and sunny!

The weather is turning crappier and crappier(4C below average, the temperature should still be close to the double digits)...It's been 2 months without a new record high. We're due to break one soon...:P

Blitz
Nov 3, 2010, 12:00 PM
If you obsessively watch nation-wide weather patterns, this is pretty typical. It isn't just an old saying, it's true: warm in the west, cold in the east (and vice-versa).

I'm sure someone that's studied this on a more formal basis (ie: not just looking at maps every day) can provide firmer facts.

When there is a large trough of low pressure in the west there is often a large ridge of high pressure in the east (or vice versa). So it does tend to always balance out and it is definitely rare that the entire country would ever see well above or well below normal temps at the same time. I have a Masters degree in Climatology so I figured I should chime in.

freeweed
Nov 3, 2010, 2:31 PM
When there is a large trough of low pressure in the west there is often a large ridge of high pressure in the east (or vice versa). So it does tend to always balance out and it is definitely rare that the entire country would ever see well above or well below normal temps at the same time. I have a Masters degree in Climatology so I figured I should chime in.

Is this because of some peculiarity in the landmass that the country is "split" in 2 so often? Or is it just that air masses form up in sizes that roughly correspond to half of the country? Or am I reading too much into it?

PoscStudent
Nov 3, 2010, 3:56 PM
Only 2 degrees in St. John's today, I actually had to scrape off my car this morning and there was snow on the ground for a few hours. It's suppose to warm by Friday and I don't think I've ever been so happy to see 14 degrees and rain forcasted for the weekend.

Jarrod
Nov 3, 2010, 3:59 PM
If this is a sign of how winter is going to be... bring it on! Currently 3C but we're supposed to go to 11C today. Yup, I'm enjoying this!

kw5150
Nov 3, 2010, 7:40 PM

Totally agree a bout the snow thing and i was just thinking the same!....... I cant wait. I love how we have about 15 (mountain) ski hills within a 3 hours drive! I may be exxagerating about the 15 number.....it is probably more like 13.... lol. I moved here for the snowboarding.

kw5150
Nov 3, 2010, 7:44 PM
Calgary's October:

1. Sunny, warm
2. Sunny, warm
3. Sunny, warm
4. Sunny, warm
5. Sunny, warm
6. Sunny, warm
7. Sunny, warm
8. Sunny, warm
9. Sunny, warm
10. Sunny, warm
11. Sunny, warm......and so on and so on........

So far November has been the same. It is great for a guy like me who bikes to work!
It almost makes up for the crap summer.

craneSpotter
Nov 3, 2010, 8:12 PM
Outstanding day in the Victoria region again.

What stands out is how warm it was first thing this morning - much of the city is sitting at 16 right now in the bright sunshine :)

Same tomorrow, with possible isolated showers late afternoon = perfect fall day. Maybe even see a rainbow tomorrow!

I hope we make it to December without freezing - for what its worth the (WN) two week forecast looks promising - lots of sun and mild temps :yes:

Stingray2004
Nov 3, 2010, 10:11 PM
At 3:00 pm a nice, sunny day with 20C on the beach here in White Rock. Just a relative skip, hop, and jump down the freeway it's only 13C at YVR where it's also sunny.

Again a 7C variation, which shows how temps. can vary within Metro Vancouver.

SpongeG
Nov 3, 2010, 10:28 PM
its all to lull us into one of the worst wettest coldest winters we have had in years as they keep predicting - enjoy the warm sunny weather now it will be a pretty miserable winter

kw5150
Nov 3, 2010, 10:58 PM
its all to lull us into one of the worst wettest coldest winters we have had in years as they keep predicting - enjoy the warm sunny weather now it will be a pretty miserable winter

From youtube: Debbie Downer........lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yFSpml8oSw

I just kidding but your comment reminded me of this skit I saw on tv the other night......

freeweed
Nov 3, 2010, 11:26 PM
It almost makes up for the crap summer.

As someone who dislikes oppressive heat, this is turning into the best year of my life weather-wise. All summer long we sat at a nice comfortable room temperature outside, maybe the odd cool day but basically 15-25 continually. This fall - it's been nauseatingly good. Cooler than summer, but damn if it isn't 10-15 every freaking day (with the odd exception).

I've always said I'd love San Diego weather. 15-20 for highs year round. Well, Calgary's been damn close for a full 6 months now. Other than a few 3-4 day stretches of "cold", and the odd day here or there, it really has been my perfect weather ever since the snow melted. :tup:

We haven't had quite as much sun as I'd like but I'll take this incredibly glorious fall in exchange!

freeweed
Nov 3, 2010, 11:27 PM

If it's that way for you guys, it will be a fine winter here. First, plenty of snow on the slopes. Second, major Chinooks as your wet air masses cross the Rockies.

Unless somehow it's wet in BC and we get a lot of east winds. :(

freeweed
Nov 3, 2010, 11:51 PM
Oh wow. Comparing Calgary's weather to San Diego's. Now I've heard everything. I didn't know San Diego got hail in August? And 3 degree mornings in July. And a lot of rain....

Yes, because I clearly was comparing every single conceivable weather factor, when I was specifically only talking about temperature.

Why don't you go troll somewhere else?

freeweed
Nov 4, 2010, 12:01 AM
Got bored playing with stats. I think my numbers are off by one, but close enough. Here's how many days Calgary hit a certain high, grouped in 5 degree increments, May 1-Oct 31 (184 days total):

High (rounded down): # of days

0: 9
5: 19
10: 33
15: 49
20: 52
25: 23

That's 122 (66%) days where we got to at least 15 degrees, and that's including nearly 2 months of spring and over a month of fall.

Even March and April were damn fine for spring. You really have to go back to January/early February to find actual "cold" weather. Other than a single aberrant -0.5 high, we have not seen a high below freezing since February 22nd. That's over 8 months of above-freezing days, and it just keeps going. We could conceivably make it through much of November on the plus side.

An amazing year for a supposedly cold city. Mind you, it only got above 30 once this year, for all you ectotherms out there.

Metro-One
Nov 4, 2010, 1:50 AM
Was an amazing day today on the BC coast.

It was 18 in Abbotsford and it was 20.2 at 4pm in White Rock. Couple this with mild overnight lows and this is a great start for November!

Nicko999
Nov 4, 2010, 3:50 AM
7C and sunny!

This is the time of the year where the East is warmer than the rest of Canada(except the BC coast).

Avg high at this time of the year for Montreal is 9C while the avg low is 1C.

Unfortunately, the weather this fall has been crap...it's depressing looking at the forecast.:(

Darkoshvilli
Nov 4, 2010, 3:51 AM
At least we haven't had a lot of rain lately! Its been sunny most of the time.

Nicko999
Nov 4, 2010, 4:03 AM
At least we haven't had a lot of rain lately! Its been sunny most of the time.

The Prairies can keep their sun... it feels so cold... I'll gladly take some clouds with a warmer temperature and some humidity.

Don't get me wrong, like everybody else I like sunny days but not when it's 7C early November. If I had the choice I would prefer a cloudy 10C (with mild lows) instead of a sunny 7C(frosty mornings).

Darkoshvilli
Nov 4, 2010, 4:12 AM
Well cloudy sure. But I rather it be 5C and sunny than 10C and raining.

freeweed
Nov 4, 2010, 5:40 AM
Weird. I can't conceive of anyone preferring clouds over sun, for anything remotely approaching similar temperatures (3 degrees, really? I can hardly tell the difference). Except maybe vampires.

I guess the sun has a much more pronounced effect here. Or I'm secretly a lizard.

flar
Nov 4, 2010, 12:46 PM
I'll take 7 and sunny. The sun makes a huge difference. My friends and I try to squeeze a few more weeks of baseball in November. If it's 7 and sunny we play (usually in t-shirts and shorts), but 7 and cloudy feels too cold.

freeweed
Nov 4, 2010, 2:03 PM
Supposedly going to be 19 and sunny in Calgary today. I'll take this over... well, just about anything in November. :D

Darkoshvilli
Nov 4, 2010, 3:12 PM
Should be 7 and rainy today. Worst of both worlds for Nicko.

kw5150
Nov 4, 2010, 5:56 PM
CALGARY.

Sunny and 19!!! This is why I moved here. Cant wait for some of those mid-winter plus 15 days a la chinook. Gotta love the fall / winter weather here! Sunny and dry.

kw5150
Nov 4, 2010, 6:04 PM
The Prairies can keep their sun... it feels so cold... I'll gladly take some clouds with a warmer temperature and some humidity.

Don't get me wrong, like everybody else I like sunny days but not when it's 7C early November. If I had the choice I would prefer a cloudy 10C (with mild lows) instead of a sunny 7C(frosty mornings).

You are a funny one. We will keep our sun (and lack of wind)..... every province has it's positive points, although, I sometimes wish we had warmer nights / mornings.

240glt
Nov 4, 2010, 6:13 PM
Lack of wind ? what city do you live in again ?

The wind down there used to piss me off to no end, that and the dryness.

It's dry up here, but not as windy.

kw5150
Nov 4, 2010, 6:26 PM

Well compared to many cities, yes, lack of wind. All you need is a T-shirt in the middle of February on a +15 day. Calgary (inner city) has very calm days. I should know. I actually live here.

kw5150
Nov 4, 2010, 6:27 PM
:previous:

anyway...... lol. I hope all of Canada is having a good fall. I like the weather here.... there, I said it! lol

Calgarian
Nov 4, 2010, 6:29 PM
Oh wow. Comparing Calgary's weather to San Diego's. Now I've heard everything. I didn't know San Diego got hail in August? And 3 degree mornings in July. And a lot of rain....

Can someone ban this idiot already? I haven't seen one post that contributes anything meaningful.

Calgarian
Nov 4, 2010, 6:32 PM

Yeah, Calgary can be windy as hell sometimes, especially in the winter.

freeweed
Nov 4, 2010, 6:35 PM

Calgary is a very weird city when it comes to wind. Some people find it very windy, some find it very calm. And unlike most weather opinions, this one doesn't seem to correlate highly to previous residence or anything.

Even myself, I can never decide if this place feels more or less windy than other places I've been. Overall it "feels" like a windy place to me but it seems like a lot of times when I look at weather conditions elsewhere, Calgary is relatively calm. Maybe it's more tolerable because it's a "dry wind". :haha:

Seriously though, it would be interesting to see "average wind speed" compared between Canadian cities. Because I honestly have no clue if Calgary really is windy or not. I go through years-long phases where my opinion completely changes - and regardless of how chaotic the weather here is, the climate itself is pretty stable and predictable. It's not like we get a record year of wind followed by a record year of calm.

kw5150
Nov 4, 2010, 6:38 PM
Yeah, Calgary can be windy as hell sometimes, especially in the winter.

Try winnipeg. There is a constant wind wall there. Compared to the flat prairies, we are calm. I am mostly talking about the inner city I guess.

240glt
Nov 4, 2010, 6:58 PM
Well compared to many cities, yes, lack of wind. All you need is a T-shirt in the middle of February on a +15 day. Calgary (inner city) has very calm days. I should know. I actually live here.

Live there for 3 years buddy. Rode my road bike 3 days a week to Bragg Creek and back, and daily around the Glenmore reservoir, I know how windy it gets there. And I lived inner city too... condo on 17th ave.

I know you like your city & all but the rose colored glasses should come off once in a while

kw5150
Nov 4, 2010, 7:06 PM
Live there for 3 years buddy. Rode my road bike 3 days a week to Bragg Creek and back, and daily around the Glenmore reservoir, I know how windy it gets there. And I lived inner city too... condo on 17th ave.

I know you like your city & all but the rose colored glasses should come off once in a while

Ok how does one respond to that? Yes, I am a positive guy and I like Calgary. It gets windy here (not denying that) but there are days when it is JUST SO CALM AND WARM in the late fall and over winter. It can be -30 here and sometimes if there is no wind, you dont even need a jacket. I guess I am focusing on the good aspects of life, not the negative ones. I like my rose-coloured glasses quite alot.

It is relatively calm here today and a high temp of 17. Proof in point. Maybe tomorrow it will be windy. who cares.

Cowtown_Tim
Nov 4, 2010, 7:46 PM
We had a shitty summer, but fall has been great, today is no exception.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/483/scr1288899842.png

freeweed
Nov 4, 2010, 8:07 PM
It can be -30 here and sometimes if there is no wind, you dont even need a jacket.

OK, I like it colder than most people and even *I* find that a bit of an exaggeration. :haha:

PS: it's 20 in Calgary right now. Official weather claims it's windy, but it's dead calm downtown. And gorgeous! :tup:

Edit: 22 now. We have to be the hotspot in Canada for today. Not even Lethbridge is warmer than us.

Metro-One
Nov 4, 2010, 9:26 PM
Yeah, it was a terrible September in BC but October and now the first week of November have been very nice.

Anyways, yesterday was a fantastic November day in BC (today is still mild, but it is now clouding over and it is by no means as warm, only around 14 today)

Yesterday:

Abbotsford was 18.1, with a low of 7.2 (with clear skies)

Agassiz was 17.6, but with a low of 11.3 under clear skies!

White Rock was the big winner yesterday, with a high of 20.6 and a low of 7.2, again with clear sunny skies. A very nice November day to spend sea side.

This for me is what makes mild fall weather nice in Vancouver is that the nights, mornings and evenings can also still be relatively mild, with no frost. We had lots of sunny mild days this October, for example, but not a single freeze.

Today, it looks as if Alberta is the big weather winner. Still, any 20+ weather in Canada in November is a real treat.

Surrealplaces
Nov 4, 2010, 9:44 PM
22C and sunny today in Calgary, and 24C in downtown Calgary. Not too shabby for November :)

Calgarian
Nov 4, 2010, 9:51 PM
This is awesome! too bad I'm stuck at work still. I can't remember ever feeling 20+ temperatures in November in Calgary. Might have to sit on the patio and have a couple brews after work.

kw5150
Nov 4, 2010, 10:54 PM
OK, I like it colder than most people and even *I* find that a bit of an exaggeration. :haha:

PS: it's 20 in Calgary right now. Official weather claims it's windy, but it's dead calm downtown. And gorgeous! :tup:

Edit: 22 now. We have to be the hotspot in Canada for today. Not even Lethbridge is warmer than us.

lol, whatever....haha. So I exxagerate!

Just got back from a site visit. Wow. Calm and sunny and actually almost hot.

Nicko999
Nov 4, 2010, 11:29 PM
Ok how does one respond to that? Yes, I am a positive guy and I like Calgary. It gets windy here (not denying that) but there are days when it is JUST SO CALM AND WARM in the late fall and over winter. It can be -30 here and sometimes if there is no wind, you dont even need a jacket. I guess I am focusing on the good aspects of life, not the negative ones. I like my rose-coloured glasses quite alot.

It is relatively calm here today and a high temp of 17. Proof in point. Maybe tomorrow it will be windy. who cares.

Wind gust at 46km/h is calm???:rolleyes:

Wind speed:
Toronto: 14.7km/h, days with wind gust over 52km/h per year: 23.8, days with wind gust over 63km/h per year: 7.2

Montreal: 14.3km/h, days with wind gust over 52km/h per year: 13.5, days with wind gust over 63km/h per year: 3.3

Ottawa: 12.9km/h, days with wind gust over 52km/h per year: 7.7, days with wind gust over 63km/h per year: 1.7

Vancouver: 11.8km/h, days with wind gust over 52km/h per year: 7, days with wind gust over 63km/h per year: 1.8

Calgary: 14.8km/h, days with wind gust over 52km/h per year: 36.9, days with wind gust over 63km/h per year: 14.7

Edmonton: 12.2km/h, days with wind gust over 52km/h per year: 8.2, days with wind gust over 63km/h per year: 1.9

Winnipeg: 16.9km/h, days with wind gust over 52km/h per year: 22, days with wind gust over 63km/h per year: 6

BTW-Buildings stop winds, so that's why it is less windier downtown. Those numbers are from the airports of every city...

Nicko999
Nov 4, 2010, 11:41 PM
Weird. I can't conceive of anyone preferring clouds over sun, for anything remotely approaching similar temperatures (3 degrees, really? I can hardly tell the difference). Except maybe vampires.

I guess the sun has a much more pronounced effect here. Or I'm secretly a lizard.

I don't like sun and bitter cold... give me anything milder (let's say 10C and more) and I obviously prefer sun like everybody else.

It has nothing to do with the effects of the sun since we're further south so the sun is stronger(with longer days). The sun is even lower in the sky in Calgary than it is here so enjoy the sun for a few hours because the clear night will cool everything off. A cold and sunny day means morning frost while cold and clouds means milder mornings.

Think about it... the sunnier a place is, the coldest it is during winter (with a few exceptions).

Today it felt a lot milder even though it is cloudy.

PoscStudent
Nov 4, 2010, 11:42 PM
A bit better in St. John's today, 5 degrees, 7 in my car, and sunny.

Nicko999
Nov 4, 2010, 11:50 PM
Coldest morning of the season yesterday in Montreal... -1.8C

Meanwhile Ottawa went down to -4.7C:sly:

Metro-One
Nov 4, 2010, 11:56 PM
Got bored playing with stats. I think my numbers are off by one, but close enough. Here's how many days Calgary hit a certain high, grouped in 5 degree increments, May 1-Oct 31 (184 days total):

High (rounded down): # of days

0: 9
5: 19
10: 33
15: 49
20: 52
25: 23

That's 122 (66%) days where we got to at least 15 degrees, and that's including nearly 2 months of spring and over a month of fall.

Even March and April were damn fine for spring. You really have to go back to January/early February to find actual "cold" weather. Other than a single aberrant -0.5 high, we have not seen a high below freezing since February 22nd. That's over 8 months of above-freezing days, and it just keeps going. We could conceivably make it through much of November on the plus side.

An amazing year for a supposedly cold city. Mind you, it only got above 30 once this year, for all you ectotherms out there.

I'll bite the bait, hehe. I do see what you are saying, but the term "cold" is very relative, and comparing Calgary's weather to San Diego is a huge stretch, a much better comparison with our southern neighbor to Calgary would be Denver. While Denver is much warmer in the summer than Calgary (on average) it experiences similar weather trends, quick drops and rises in temperature, late and early snows / cold snaps, warm down sloping winds breaking apart the winter, and a large diurnal gap in overnight / afternoon temperatures.

Compared to Calgary, Vancouver would be a far better Canadian comparison to San Diego from May 1st to Oct 31st. (Again, even I think this is still a big stretch)

Here is the data for Vancouver in relation to the stats you have for Calgary Above:

High temps

0: 0
5: 1
10: 31
15: 84
20: 54
25: 14

So Vancouver has 152 days above 15 during this stretch, giving 82.6%. Much higher than Calgary. Also, I personally find having 28 days that do not reach 10 degrees between May and October to be very cool (especially when compared to Vancouver's 1).

Then one one compares low temps during this 6 month trend, Vancouver is far more mild than Calgary.

Calgary Lows (again, grouped in 5 degree intervals going up from the temperature shown):

-10: 2
-5: 23
0: 47
5: 72
10: 40
15: 0

Vancouver:

-10: 0
-5: 0
0: 6
5: 46
10: 115
15: 17

So while Vancouver had 0 nights below freezing during this 6 months Calgary had 25 nights below freezing (far more like Denver) and while Vancouver had 132 nights stay above 10, Calgary only had 40 nights do so.

Then, when compared to Kamloops over this period, one would definetely find Calgary "Cool" on average in the summer

Kamloops, Highs

5: 2
10: 19
15: 42
20: 48
25: 35
30: 29
35: 8

That is 88.5% of the days above 15, and 120 days above 20, with 37 of those days above 30.

Now, here are the 3 cities listed above highs, lows, precip & snow averaged throughout that 6 months period for this year:

Calgary, H 17.2, L 5.8, P 354.4mm, Snow 28.2cm

Vancouver, H 18.7, L 11.3, P 412.9mm, Snow 0

Kamloops, H 23.4, L 9.9, P 180.5mm, Snow 0

So for me, personally, I find Kamloops to be the most comfortable city out of those three, it by far has the warmest average high and the lowest precipitation. Both Vancouver and Kamloops recorded no snow during this time, and Vancouver had the warmest low with no frost / freezes.

Hence I would find Vancouver's climate far more like San Diego than Calgary's.

Again, I don't want to dump on Calgary, but please don't compare yourself to San Diego, Denver is far more fitting for a comparison. Also, when one brings up such weather stats I just cant help but compare it with the area I live in, again, we are all weather nuts on this thread!

And, just for fun, here is Abbotsford's highs for this 6 month period, being that it is the closest weather station to where I live.

5: 0
10: 29
15: 61
20: 62
25: 21
30: 10

So that is no days not reaching 10 during this 6 months, and 93 days above 20 with a decent 10 above 30.

Metro-One
Nov 5, 2010, 12:13 AM
I just checked the records and Calgary may match their warmest November day ever (which currently stands at 22.8). Lethbridge was 23 today!

Calgary_Guy
Nov 5, 2010, 12:20 AM
I believe the temperature was 22.0 today only .8 degrees from a tie for the warmest day on November 4th. Nice feeling that heat from the sun I must say. :boogy: