PDA

View Full Version : HRM And Area CFL Fans

MaritimeCFLFan
Dec 8, 2010, 5:08 AM
I was just curious to see how many of us there are. I have been an Argos fan ever since I remember watching the CFL and made the trip to Moncton to see them play Edmonton. With recent talks in HRM of trying to become a host city for the 2015 Womens World Cup and the possibility of a new stadium being bulilt there might just be hope yet that some day Halifax will have a CFL team.

David1gray
Dec 8, 2010, 5:51 AM
i love the CFL but dont have a favorite team. i support some more than others but if halifax were to get a team it would be them for sure.

isaidso
Dec 8, 2010, 5:56 AM
I'm an Alouettes fan, but would switch to Moncton/Halifax the day they join the league.

fenwick16
Dec 8, 2010, 5:59 AM
I would watch most games involving Halifax on TV and would attend when I could (I am living in the Toronto area). I have been an intermittent fan over the past 30 - 35 years but would become a regular fan if Halifax had a team.

halifaxboyns
Dec 8, 2010, 7:36 AM
I freely admit; I'm not a sports fan. However, if I lived back home (and HRM had a team) - I would support a team and go to the extent I could. Probably get season tickets.

Jstaleness
Dec 8, 2010, 11:20 AM
I love the CFL. Argo's Fan. Would also support the local HRM team.

-Harlington-
Dec 8, 2010, 2:40 PM
love the cfl, im a ti-cats fan but i like watching all football

q12
Dec 8, 2010, 2:45 PM
I would defiantly support a team in Halifax and buy season tickets.

MaritimeCFLFan
Dec 8, 2010, 4:18 PM
i love the CFL but dont have a favorite team. i support some more than others but if halifax were to get a team it would be them for sure.

Adopt the Argos for your favorite team. We need all the support we can get as it seems many love to hate Toronto. :)

MaritimeCFLFan
Dec 8, 2010, 4:22 PM
I love the CFL. Argo's Fan. Would also support the local HRM team.

I'm happy to see there is another Argos fan here. If Halifax were to get a team I'd buy season tickets and support the team all the way except when they played Toronto. I'll be an Argos fan for life but a new Halifax team would be a close 2'nd!

MaritimeCFLFan
Dec 8, 2010, 4:25 PM
love the cfl, im a ti-cats fan but i like watching all football

I guess this means we have to be rivals for the sake of tradition. :)

While I am a huge CFL fan I also enjoy all football but CFL is #1 with me.

isaidso
Dec 8, 2010, 4:52 PM
While I am a huge CFL fan I also enjoy all football but CFL is #1 with me.

Same here. CFL is my favourite, but CIS is a very close 2nd. High school football? Yeah, I'd probably watch that too. Go Warriors!

http://www.hfxwestfootball.com/Banner.jpg

Empire
Dec 8, 2010, 5:06 PM
Riders Fan.....mainly because Riders fans have a lot of pride in their team and it brings the province together. I see this same scenario unfolding when the Halifax Explosion hits the field.

MaritimeCFLFan
Dec 8, 2010, 5:59 PM
Riders Fan.....mainly because Riders fans have a lot of pride in their team and it brings the province together. I see this same scenario unfolding when the Halifax Explosion hits the field.

I agree on both counts. Certainly the Saskatchewan fans take alot of pride in their football team (Rider Nation).

Also I think a Halifax team would be viewed as a Maritime Team and would enjoy widespread support.

MaritimeCFLFan
Dec 8, 2010, 6:25 PM
I post on the CFL.CA site as well. Here is a link to a thread aimed specifically at Maritime CFL fans which was started by a fan in PEI.

http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62683

Pop in and say hello if you like. Always looking for more Maritime CFL fans.

MonctonRad
Dec 8, 2010, 6:28 PM
Well, I'm willing to go on the record as saying that if Halifax got a team and Moncton did not, that I would make the effort of attending 1-2 games a year. (I of course would have family season's tickets if the team were in Moncton :D )

This automatically makes me more open minded than some Halifax forumers who have already publically stated that they would actively boycott a Moncton based team. :hell:

hfx_chris
Dec 8, 2010, 10:32 PM
Big Alouettes fan here.

My biggest problem is if Halifax (or the maritimes in general) actually did get a team and they were playing Montreal... I wouldn't really know who to cheer for. My jacket, hats and shirt all say Alouettes. I'm not 100% sure I could change that...To tell the truth, one of the big reasons I'm so eager to see a CFL team in Halifax is so I can see Montreal play without having to make a weekend of it.

As for the NFL? I don't follow it as closely, but I would have to say I'm a Jets fan.

Jstaleness
Dec 9, 2010, 12:51 AM
I post on the CFL.CA site as well. Here is a link to a thread aimed specifically at Maritime CFL fans which was started by a fan in PEI.

http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62683

Pop in and say hello if you like. Always looking for more Maritime CFL fans.

I joined and posted. Go Argo's

Welkin
Dec 9, 2010, 12:53 AM
I've lived outside Toronto for the past 20 years and I've been an Argos fan all that time (although I do have to admire the passion in Rider Nation), but my heart still lives in Halifax. If Halifax ever got a CFL team, I would still be married to the Argos but Halifax would be my mistress. Just pick a name other than the Explosion (I understand the history, its just that its hard to rally around and root for a tragic event). Personally I like the Sea Devils. Fortunately I get to travel a lot and I've been to CFL games in every location. It would be wonderful to add Halifax to that list.

Haliguy
Dec 9, 2010, 1:46 AM
I would be if there was a team here.

worldlyhaligonian
Dec 9, 2010, 6:45 AM
Riders fan in the West, Als fan in the East...

The team has got to not have a tacky name.

I like Nova Scotia Osprey.

fenwick16
Dec 9, 2010, 10:15 AM
I really like the Atlantic Schooners name. It is analogous to the New England Patriots in that both names represent a region. I can't think of any other symbol that represents the character of the region better than a schooner. And a schooner isn't a stereotypical symbol such as a lighthouse which represents the region but doesn't convey an image of power and speed like a schooner does. Also the Bluenose schooner is on the back of Canadian dimes and was a successful racing ship, so schooners are known throughout Canada.

Let's go schooners! That will be a great chant at games.

beyeas
Dec 9, 2010, 11:29 AM
Riders fan in the West, Als fan in the East...

The team has got to not have a tacky name.

I like Nova Scotia Osprey.

knowing our luck they will be called the "Halifax Regional Municipalities". GO MUNICS!

chadwest
Dec 9, 2010, 2:47 PM
I'm a big CFL (Argos) and CIS (SMU) fan. I live about an hour outside of Halifax, but come in to see the SMU games. I'd do the same if we had a CFL team.

MaritimeCFLFan
Dec 9, 2010, 6:16 PM
Well, I'm willing to go on the record as saying that if Halifax got a team and Moncton did not, that I would make the effort of attending 1-2 games a year. (I of course would have family season's tickets if the team were in Moncton :D )

This automatically makes me more open minded than some Halifax forumers who have already publically stated that they would actively boycott a Moncton based team. :hell:

Well I definately would not boycott a Moncton franchise. Like yourself I would make 1 or 2 regular season games each year and I'd also make any playoff games that a Moncton franchise may host. Like my ID states I am a MaritimeCFLFan. Yes I'd prefer to see Halifax get a team over Moncton but definately no ill feelings if it is indeed Moncton that wins out.

MaritimeCFLFan
Dec 9, 2010, 6:19 PM
I joined and posted. Go Argo's

I saw your post there and welcomed you to the board. Nice to have another Argo supporter there and more importantly a Maritime CFL fan.:tup:

MaritimeCFLFan
Dec 9, 2010, 6:23 PM
I'm a big CFL (Argos) and CIS (SMU) fan. I live about an hour outside of Halifax, but come in to see the SMU games. I'd do the same if we had a CFL team.

I also live 1 hour outside of the city and make the odd SMU game. Unfortunately for me the only game I caught this season was Laval's thrashing of SMU. I would have season tickets for a Halifax CFL team. Nice to find a few fellow Argo fans here.

worldlyhaligonian
Dec 9, 2010, 8:02 PM
Well I definately would not boycott a Moncton franchise. Like yourself I would make 1 or 2 regular season games each year and I'd also make any playoff games that a Moncton franchise may host. Like my ID states I am a MaritimeCFLFan. Yes I'd prefer to see Halifax get a team over Moncton but definately no ill feelings if it is indeed Moncton that wins out.

I would totally boycott a team in Moncton... I'm Nova Scotian!!!

Riders fans would never be a fan of the Stamps, or Eskimos! Where is the provincial pride people!

Lol, the MUNICS comment was hilarious... one letter short of having no balls. (unics)

worldlyhaligonian
Dec 9, 2010, 8:03 PM
No Darian Durrant allowed though.

-Harlington-
Dec 9, 2010, 11:53 PM
id go to a moncton game if metro transit went there, aha
:cool:

Dartboy
Dec 10, 2010, 12:36 AM
Football live is great. I would buy at least two season tickets. I watch a bit of CFL now and have no fav team.

MonctonRad
Dec 10, 2010, 1:06 AM

Well, if that's your attitude, then how could you concievably (and in good conscience) try and market a Halifax team as a "regional" franchise, or as "the Maritimes team".

Sounds like it would be "Halifax's team" to me!!

Maybe you should call the team the Halifax South-enders :haha:

hfxtradesman
Dec 10, 2010, 1:56 AM
Would have too say the LIONS, as they have the best looking cheerleaders, as I was a season ticket holder back in the 90"s.:worship:

Empire
Dec 10, 2010, 2:21 AM
I really like the Atlantic Schooners name. It is analogous to the New England Patriots in that both names represent a region. I can't think of any other symbol that represents the character of the region better than a schooner. And a schooner isn't a stereotypical symbol such as a lighthouse which represents the region but doesn't convey an image of power and speed like a schooner does. Also the Bluenose schooner is on the back of Canadian dimes and was a successful racing ship, so schooners are known throughout Canada.

Let's go schooners! That will be a great chant at games.

I do like the Schooners...not to mention it was a skunky beer for years.

Halifax:
1. Schooners
2. Clippers
3. Buchanners
4. Jammers
5. Pirates
6. Treasure Hunters
7. Hurricanes
8. Storm Surge
9. Rock Crushers
10. Fly Fishers
11. Loyalists

Welkin
Dec 10, 2010, 2:38 AM

Riders fans would never be a fan of the Stamps, or Eskimos! Where is the provincial pride people!

Lol, the MUNICS comment was hilarious... one letter short of having no balls. (unics)

Well I have to totally disagree with this statement all together. Most likely, there will only be one CFL team for all of Atlantic Canada and I would support that team regardless of whether the team was in Halifax or Moncton. Any owner of this team is going to use Atlantic, not Halifax or Moncton, to name this team in order to market the team to the entire Atlantic area. That is why they are the Saskatchewan Roughriders, not the Regina Roughriders. By the way, the Riders store in Saskatoon is selling more Rider merchandise than the main Rider store in Regina. In order for this potential franchise to be successful, you need to be selling CFL Atlantic merchandise in PEI, NF, NB and NS. This will not be just Halifax's team or just Moncton's team. I mean come on, this is the CFL we are talking about, not the QMJHL. It is time to get over petty rivalries.

David1gray
Dec 10, 2010, 2:45 AM
Im atlantic canadian, does that mean i cant support any NHL teams? NBA teams? MLB teams? etc......

if we (atlantic canada) get a team, it should be supported by everyone in the region, not just by the people in the province. looks like all we have to cheer for is the QMJHL, better cancel that NHL centre ice subscription i have.

P.S. go redwings! bluejays! celtics! and any future atlantic canadian team!

hfx_chris
Dec 11, 2010, 3:12 AM
id go to a moncton game if metro transit went there, aha :cool:

I'd travel to see the Als thrash the Moncton team :cool:

MaritimeCFLFan
Dec 24, 2010, 4:44 AM

Halifax:
1. Schooners
2. Clippers
3. Buchanners
4. Jammers
5. Pirates
6. Treasure Hunters
7. Hurricanes
8. Storm Surge
9. Rock Crushers
10. Fly Fishers
11. Loyalists

I'd be in favor of Atlantic Schooners as well.

MaritimeCFLFan
Dec 24, 2010, 4:48 AM
It's nice to see that we have a few HRM and area CFL supporters on this forum. There is always room for more though and if Halifax is to ever land a CFL team we will need to hear from alot more.

worldlyhaligonian
Dec 24, 2010, 4:56 PM
Well I have to totally disagree with this statement all together. Most likely, there will only be one CFL team for all of Atlantic Canada and I would support that team regardless of whether the team was in Halifax or Moncton. Any owner of this team is going to use Atlantic, not Halifax or Moncton, to name this team in order to market the team to the entire Atlantic area. That is why they are the Saskatchewan Roughriders, not the Regina Roughriders. By the way, the Riders store in Saskatoon is selling more Rider merchandise than the main Rider store in Regina. In order for this potential franchise to be successful, you need to be selling CFL Atlantic merchandise in PEI, NF, NB and NS. This will not be just Halifax's team or just Moncton's team. I mean come on, this is the CFL we are talking about, not the QMJHL. It is time to get over petty rivalries.

Saskatchewan is a PROVINCE (not a region) with almost the same population as NS.

Halifax is bigger as a city than Regina and Saskatoon combined.

Creating an "atlantic" team destroys the potential for another team somewhere else in the atlantic provinces. (They would be playing themselves)

They aren't petty rivalries, each atlantic province is a different place and calling it all the same is total b/s.

The ultimate would be an NS/NB rivalry, but that isn't going to happen unless Halifax builds a stadium as well and the CFL does a legitmate expansion out here.

worldlyhaligonian
Dec 25, 2010, 6:14 AM

Halifax:
1. Schooners
2. Clippers
3. Buchanners
4. Jammers
5. Pirates
6. Treasure Hunters
7. Hurricanes
8. Storm Surge
9. Rock Crushers
10. Fly Fishers
11. Loyalists

Loyalists is actually decent... almost the counter to the patriots.

Empire
Dec 25, 2010, 2:51 PM
Loyalists is actually decent... almost the counter to the patriots.

Potential names for Halifax CFL franchise:

1. Atlantic Schooners
2. Halifax Clippers
3. Halifax Buccaneers
4. Halifax Windjammers
5. Atlantic Hurricanes
6. Atlantic Storm Surge
7. Halifax Loyalists
8. Halifax Stingrays
9. Atlantic Whalers
10. Halifax Wolverines
11. Halifax Bounty Hunters
12. Atlantic Mutineers
13. Halifax Spitfire
14. Halifax Corvettes
15. Halifax Deck Hands
16. Atlantic Seafarers
17. Halifax Swashbucklers
18. Atlantic Breakers
19. Atlantic Rip Tide

fenwick16
Dec 25, 2010, 7:11 PM
Potential names for Halifax CFL franchise:

1. Atlantic Schooners
2. Halifax Clippers
3. Halifax Buccaneers
4. Halifax Windjammers
5. Atlantic Hurricanes
6. Atlantic Storm Surge
7. Halifax Loyalists
8. Halifax Stingrays
9. Atlantic Whalers
10. Halifax Wolverines
11. Halifax Bounty Hunters
12. Atlantic Mutineers
13. Halifax Spitfire
14. Halifax Corvettes
15. Halifax Deck Hands
16. Atlantic Seafarers
17. Halifax Swashbucklers
18. Atlantic Breakers
19. Atlantic Rip Tide

I like these ones below, with my favourites in order from top to bottom.

1. Atlantic Schooners
2. Halifax Clippers
3. Halifax Buccaneers
4. Halifax Windjammers
14. Halifax Corvettes

I like the Halifax Corvettes name. It has a strong tie to Halifax (the WWII ship) and I don't know of any other team with the Corvettes name.

someone123
Dec 27, 2010, 6:17 PM
Moving this to General since it's not specifically a project thread.

MaritimeCFLFan
Dec 28, 2010, 3:27 AM
I've reconsidered and I think a team based out of Halifax should be named the Halifax Schooners or possibly the Nova Scotia Schooners. Calling it the Atlantic Schooners was a great idea back in the 80's but back then there was no Moncton or any other city looking for a franchise in the Atlantic provinces. With Moncton's current interest in the CFL I don't think a Halifax team should have a name that implies it is Atlantic Canada's team.

MaritimeCFLFan
Dec 28, 2010, 3:43 AM
If Halifax were to get a CFL team how would you support it?

a) buy season tickets (possibly even if unable to attend all games)

b) attend roughly 6 to 7 games a year

c) attend roughly 4 to 5 games a year

d) attend 1 to 3 games a year

I'd buy season tickets for sure.

Welkin
Dec 28, 2010, 4:30 PM
I've reconsidered and I think a team based out of Halifax should be named the Halifax Schooners or possibly the Nova Scotia Schooners. Calling it the Atlantic Schooners was a great idea back in the 80's but back then there was no Moncton or any other city looking for a franchise in the Atlantic provinces. With Moncton's current interest in the CFL I don't think a Halifax team should have a name that implies it is Atlantic Canada's team.

I think some of our posters are starting to believe their own hype and need to step back and drink a dose of reality. If we are fortunate enough to get the CFL comes to the Atlantic Region, there will be only one team for a very, very long time. The CFL brass has no intention to place teams in both Moncton and Halifax. It is going to be an either or situation. Because of the economics of professional sports, the CFL first choice is to come to Halifax and will only choose Moncton if they have no other option. The league won't wait forever for Halifax to build a stadium. This is nothing against Moncton. They have great fans, but again Moncton is only the 30th largest city in Canada and any franchise there would have to depend heavily on fans driving in from Saint John and Fredericton, as well as private business support from the entire province. Which ever city manages to get a CFL team deserves all our support, because it will be the only CFL franchise in Atlantic Canada. Just like the New England Patriots represent an entire region and not just Boston, the Atlantic (fill in your nickname here) will represent all of Atlantic Canada and not just Halifax or Moncton.

fenwick16
Dec 28, 2010, 6:16 PM
If Halifax were to get a CFL team how would you support it?

a) buy season tickets (possibly even if unable to attend all games)

b) attend roughly 6 to 7 games a year

c) attend roughly 4 to 5 games a year

d) attend 1 to 3 games a year

I'd buy season tickets for sure.

I would buy at least one season ticket a year (maybe two depending on the cost) but I probably would only get to a couple games a year since I live in the Toronto area. I would buy season tickets just to help support a team regardless of what their win-loss record is. PS: I could also go to their games in Hamilton and Toronto.

MaritimeCFLFan
Dec 28, 2010, 6:59 PM
I think some of our posters are starting to believe their own hype and need to step back and drink a dose of reality. If we are fortunate enough to get the CFL comes to the Atlantic Region, there will be only one team for a very, very long time. The CFL brass has no intention to place teams in both Moncton and Halifax. It is going to be an either or situation. Because of the economics of professional sports, the CFL first choice is to come to Halifax and will only choose Moncton if they have no other option. The league won't wait forever for Halifax to build a stadium. This is nothing against Moncton. They have great fans, but again Moncton is only the 30th largest city in Canada and any franchise there would have to depend heavily on fans driving in from Saint John and Fredericton, as well as private business support from the entire province. Which ever city manages to get a CFL team deserves all our support, because it will be the only CFL franchise in Atlantic Canada. Just like the New England Patriots represent an entire region and not just Boston, the Atlantic (fill in your nickname here) will represent all of Atlantic Canada and not just Halifax or Moncton.

I agree with what your saying but until the CFL officially comes out and says ONLY 1 team for Atlantic Canada then I'd like to be sensitive to those CFL fans in both cities that desire a CFL team to call their own.

MaritimeCFLFan
Dec 28, 2010, 7:02 PM
I would buy at least one season ticket a year (maybe two depending on the cost) but I probably would only get to a couple games a year since I live in the Toronto area. I would buy season tickets just to help support a team regardless of what their win-loss record is. PS: I could also go to their games in Hamilton and Toronto.

You could always donate the unused tickets to a youth group or something. At least the tickets would get used and a kid would benefit because of your gesture. I'd also be unable to make all the games due to my rotating schedule of shift work.

fenwick16
Dec 28, 2010, 7:16 PM
You could always donate the unused tickets to a youth group or something. At least the tickets would get used and a kid would benefit because of your gesture. I'd also be unable to make all the games due to my rotating schedule of shift work.

This would be a good idea. I think there might be many ex-Maritimers who would do the same. People in the Halifax area could find groups to give the unused tickets to.

Jstaleness
Dec 29, 2010, 12:32 AM
Because of work I might only be able to do the 3-4 games. It might be easier to buy the season tickets as mentioned above and give the others away when I can't attend.

Welkin
Dec 29, 2010, 4:47 AM
I agree with what your saying but until the CFL officially comes out and says ONLY 1 team for Atlantic Canada then I'd like to be sensitive to those CFL fans in both cities that desire a CFL team to call their own.

I understand what you are saying and I appreciate your thoughts. For now we can all dream of a future Halifax or Moncton team.

hfx_chris
Dec 29, 2010, 2:13 PM
I would buy season tickets, and I would be there for every single game.