PDA

View Full Version : Sidewalk Maintenance Horrible

lrt's friend
Mar 7, 2011, 3:11 PM
Just an observation this morning a full 24 hours after the last storm ended and it was not a major snowstorm. The sidewalks on Bank Street at least as far north as Walkley Road were in poor condition and in places impassible. The only places where plowing was acceptable was right at bus stops. In places, you faced a wall of snow and ice. When there is talk of bus route optimization requiring longer walks to bus stops, the city has some responsibility to make walking reasonably possible and safe.

reidjr
Mar 7, 2011, 7:24 PM
In bells corners all winter its been bad were lucky in most areas if the city takes care of it 2-4 days after a snow fall.My bigger issue now is i live on a court and we have a massive snow hill at the end from the plowing of the street in past years they would come by and remove the hill this year they came by in dec and that has been it.

TransitZilla
Mar 7, 2011, 8:13 PM
Interesting... I live in the 'burbs (Findlay Creek), and when I woke up at 8:30 am Sunday morning, the sidewalk on my street was already plowed and clear.

The road wasn't plowed until 7pm.

p_xavier
Mar 7, 2011, 11:10 PM
Interesting... I live in the 'burbs (Findlay Creek), and when I woke up at 8:30 am Sunday morning, the sidewalk on my street was already plowed and clear.

Is it the only sidewalk in the suburb? That might explain it.

Cre47
Mar 7, 2011, 11:17 PM
A lot of the downtown sidewalks (Elgin, Wellington, Slater, Laurier, Albert) were still full of slush and slippery spots this afternoon. On the Quebec side, some were still filled with ice though the snow from last Sunday's winter storm was mostly cleared. Right near the bus stop at Wellington and Elgin, there was a still a big puddle of water and this morning I had to climb a big wall of snow on the opposite side in front of the Langevin Building.

reidjr
Mar 8, 2011, 1:27 AM

Then you are lucky where i live in terms of the side walks near my house the snow removal is not great.,

TransitZilla
Mar 8, 2011, 11:31 AM
Is it the only sidewalk in the suburb? That might explain it.

Har har....

rakerman
Mar 8, 2011, 6:19 PM
Sunday morning was a mess in the downtown core, with a lot of sidewalks unplowed at 9 AM. Outside the core on Monday morning a key pedestrian path from Pinecrest Station, over a Queensway overpass, right next to high-speed car traffic, was not only unplowed but ended with a wall of snow overtop the regular sidewalk at the end. The guy in front of me was having such trouble navigating the ups and downs of all the crud on the very narrow sidewalk across the overpass that I was worried he was going to fall into traffic.

Even after the sidewalks were plowed, the pattern of sidewalk dips for driveways every few feet on sidestreets in Centretown means that the sidewalk was actually a layer of scraped slush (which turned into ice) interspersed with giant slush puddles in the middle of the sidewalk.