PDA

View Full Version : Centrepointe Collective [19 Centrepointe Dr] | 65+72m | 21+23f | U/C

Pages : [1] 2

waterloowarrior
Oct 28, 2011, 9:59 PM
Developer: Richcraft
Architect: Roderick Lahey
Planning Consultant: FoTenn

Not sure if it's 22/24 or 24/26..... there are references to both sets of numbers

Proposed residential condominium development on a 3 storey townhouse podium that includes a restaurant (cafe) use with 2 residential towers 26 and 24 storeys in height (including podium element)\

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__8UV7EU

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6057/6289588105_0d5b474ea0_b.jpg

Cre47
Oct 28, 2011, 10:40 PM
Do like the top part. It's about time, there are tall (rather semi-tall) tower proposals for that area. Of course, the two main assets, being close to Algonquin and an intensification right near a transit station. I'm sure there will be some NIMBYISM on that project and probably something will be written on the Bulldog.

kevinbottawa
Oct 29, 2011, 1:37 AM
That area reminds me of the growing city centre in Thornhill. With these towers it'll look like it even more.

McC
Oct 29, 2011, 2:03 AM
now that's a proper-looking townhouse podium and point towers (for pure-residential, not mix use, of course, then the podium should be different..,), anyway, why has it been so hard to design some of these in this town? (and it's not a developer-specific thing, because Richcraft's Galleria site would have been a great location for townhouse-point-towers instead of the two massive slabs they built).

Admiral Nelson
Oct 29, 2011, 2:47 AM
It would be great to see these so close to a transit hub. Precisely what's needed.

I wonder when the other elements of the 2007 Centrepointe plan will be implemented.

S-Man
Oct 29, 2011, 5:58 PM
It is what's needed, in a big way - and the influx of population will probably spur new funding for the Baseline Station completion (Bob Chiarelli, are you there?)...
However, I see these towers being brought down to a stubby 12 storeys at the urging of impacted neighbours. And those neighbours won't be college students renting basement apartments on Baseline.

AuxTown
Oct 30, 2011, 4:51 PM
It is what's needed, in a big way - and the influx of population will probably spur new funding for the Baseline Station completion (Bob Chiarelli, are you there?)...
However, I see these towers being brought down to a stubby 12 storeys at the urging of impacted neighbours. And those neighbours won't be college students renting basement apartments on Baseline.

I don't think the shadows from these buildings could possible touch another residential property so what could people be complaining about? If they're worried about traffic then they should move. Situating this type of development along two major arterials as well as adjacent to a major transit hub is ideal. Not to mention it is walking distance to Algonquin and a big shopping centre. This will be a great addition to the area.

Uhuniau
Oct 31, 2011, 1:39 AM
I don't think the shadows from these buildings could possible touch another residential property so what could people be complaining about?

Astronomical reality has never, to my knowledge, prevented an Entitled Ottawan from bitching about shadows, real or imagined. On one of the media reports about the Preston project (CBC? Citizen?) someone was whinging that the Italia tower would keep Preston street in shadow all day.

S-Man
Oct 31, 2011, 3:13 AM
While it sounds like myself and some others are knee-jerking this coming NIMBY outcry, the truth is: if any part of the building is visible at any time of year from a private residence, then that's a quality of life issue. Looming towers, and all that.

If at any point of the day at any time of the year a shadow encroaches even one inch onto said property - that's permanent shade and no blue sky. Vitamin D, etc. Sad, but I've seen it countless times for buildings even three storeys tall. Luckily, with this council and the location - which has little residential encroachment and is near all those good things, something close to this will be built.

It will just be annoying as the community group fights it tooth and nail. And I'd love to be proven wrong by a wall of silence from the Centrepointe neighbourhood, I really would.

Harley613
Oct 31, 2011, 12:10 PM
i always pictured centrepointe becoming a secondary cbd/residential high density area akin to scarborough or north york. it's the perfect spot for it. hopefully this is the first of many nice high density projects in this area.

RTWAP
Nov 1, 2011, 6:22 PM
I'm really pleased.

The facing side of Centrepointe Drive has a nice urban feel to it, with closely packed town homes and some nice walk-up businesses down the street. Kind of brownstone-like. But the other side of the street faces the solid back wall of a high school, and ... nothing. This will help to give the street a bit more of a feeling of completion and consistency.

Uhuniau
Nov 1, 2011, 9:02 PM
I'm really pleased.

The facing side of Centrepointe Drive has a nice urban feel to it, with closely packed town homes and some nice walk-up businesses down the street. Kind of brownstone-like. But the other side of the street faces the solid back wall of a high school, and ... nothing. This will help to give the street a bit more of a feeling of completion and consistency.

Speaking of which, why did the school boards start building such ugly, street-killing, neighbourhood-deadening schools?

Compare, say, the schools on Broadview Avenue, to bunkers like Lester B. Pearson.

kevinbottawa
Nov 1, 2011, 9:40 PM
These other renderings from the application are nice.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Oql82CzNMkNGepcMoT85TnK9JBxE5W8NprrU4iUPVXA?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OdMNFh9fTTaeeGCyopFSiHK9JBxE5W8NprrU4iUPVXA?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/7G-gxUTJFXnW0As8E8NQLHK9JBxE5W8NprrU4iUPVXA?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LKpULI2BslH2Zl9845eDd3K9JBxE5W8NprrU4iUPVXA?feat=directlink

citizen j
Nov 1, 2011, 10:54 PM
Speaking of which, why did the school boards start building such ugly, street-killing, neighbourhood-deadening schools?

Compare, say, the schools on Broadview Avenue, to bunkers like Lester B. Pearson.

I blame Bauhaus and Le Corbusier for making it so easy to copy their designs badly/cheaply. Machines for learning?

Nepean
Nov 1, 2011, 11:35 PM
I'm really pleased.

I agree. I live off Centrepointe and I think this project will really improve the neighbourhood. Though based on the meeting that I attended last week on this project, I may be in the minority.

Admiral Nelson
Nov 2, 2011, 12:20 AM
I agree. I live off Centrepointe and I think this project will really improve the neighbourhood. Though based on the meeting that I attended last week on this project, I may be in the minority.

I'm also in Centrepointe, and I agree with you.

MountainView
Nov 2, 2011, 4:48 AM
These other renderings from the application are nice.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Oql82CzNMkNGepcMoT85TnK9JBxE5W8NprrU4iUPVXA?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OdMNFh9fTTaeeGCyopFSiHK9JBxE5W8NprrU4iUPVXA?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/7G-gxUTJFXnW0As8E8NQLHK9JBxE5W8NprrU4iUPVXA?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LKpULI2BslH2Zl9845eDd3K9JBxE5W8NprrU4iUPVXA?feat=directlink

Just to make it easier for everyone to see... thanks for finding the links!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vrLTJRR0dR4/TrBmB0eF75I/AAAAAAAABT8/JHPXPu_uSII/s678/newcondo3.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-r_ipkCsfi3U/TrBmB9ZGmFI/AAAAAAAABUA/57XteCUOeXA/s677/newcondo2.jpg

Ottawan
Nov 2, 2011, 1:45 PM
:previous:

Really nice street-level interaction!

I think if one takes developments like this in context, looking at the forest (what projects ultimately are being proposed and approved now vs. 15 years ago) rather than focusing on the trees (NIMBY reactions to individual projects, suburplosive requests of developers in the suburbs) we are starting to see how amalgamation is actually working at what I always thought would be its greatest purpose: allowing for a planning vison for the city as a whole to flourish, and specifically a planning vision focused on intensification.

kevinbottawa
Nov 2, 2011, 7:01 PM
Just to make it easier for everyone to see... thanks for finding the links!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vrLTJRR0dR4/TrBmB0eF75I/AAAAAAAABT8/JHPXPu_uSII/s678/newcondo3.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-r_ipkCsfi3U/TrBmB9ZGmFI/AAAAAAAABUA/57XteCUOeXA/s677/newcondo2.jpg

Thanks!

eternallyme
Nov 13, 2011, 2:06 AM
Excellent proposal being near Baseline Station. While some NIMBYism might be expected, there is already higher-density commercial and institutional in the area. APPROVE it.

Nepean
Nov 24, 2011, 9:24 PM
I attended a board meeting of the Centrepointe Community Association this past Tuesday that discussed this project. I would estimate that roughly 30 people attended, including Coun. Chiarelli who was there in listening mode.

After this meeting I was left with two main impressions. First, many residents in Centrepointe have the same concerns as other neighbourhoods in the city who are facing development: i.e. worries about increased parking, impact on property values, concerns about the height of the proposed building, etc.

Second, notwithstanding these concerns, it appears that a good part of the community realizes that something is going to be built at this site regardless of what they think, so instead of fighting a losing battle, they will start imposing demands on the developer in order to ensure that the community gets some benefit out of this project. To this end, a discussion on s. 37 benefits took place during the meeting.

A key word in the meeting was "negotiation." Without a doubt, some participants at the board meeting didn't like the development at all, and expressed full-blown NIMBY sentiments. Others, however, seem to feel that a better approach was to work with the developer.

For instance, one participant said that the community had to "get over itself" and to accept that something was going to be built on this site. So instead of simply saying "no," a better approach was to list the community's concerns, pass them on the developer, and then see if the project could bring greater benefits to the community.

waterloowarrior
Mar 30, 2012, 11:06 PM
appealed to the OMB

S-Man
Mar 31, 2012, 6:20 AM
Jesus. Is there some divine rule that anything new in Ottawa must be appealed to the OMB? Maybe the province is in the red the way it is because it has to staff that thing day and night to handle the appeals coming in from Ottawa.:rolleyes:

No, seriously - I just did a tour of the updated threads on this site, and with the exception of two projects already underway, absolutely everything had been appealed to the OMB.

Three storeys in Westboro. OMB
14 storeys in Westboro. OMB.
23 storeys in Centretown. OMB
And so on and so forth.

Then again, Kennie Greygrey wrote a great column last year about the impending destruction of this valuable low-density suburban heritage extremifiplosionification blah blah blah......

waterloowarrior
Mar 31, 2012, 2:37 PM
Jesus. Is there some divine rule that anything new in Ottawa must be appealed to the OMB? Maybe the province is in the red the way it is because it has to staff that thing day and night to handle the appeals coming in from Ottawa.:rolleyes:

No, seriously - I just did a tour of the updated threads on this site, and with the exception of two projects already underway, absolutely everything had been appealed to the OMB.

Three storeys in Westboro. OMB
14 storeys in Westboro. OMB.
23 storeys in Centretown. OMB
And so on and so forth.

Then again, Kennie Greygrey wrote a great column last year about the impending destruction of this valuable low-density suburban heritage extremifiplosionification blah blah blah......

Anyone can appeal to the OMB... all you need is your $125 cheque :) well actually you need to participate at some point in the process as well.

This Centrepointe one was likely appealed by the applicant for a lack of decision by the City within the planning act timeframe... same with Soho Italia.

waterloowarrior
Dec 21, 2012, 3:03 AM
registration page... fancy top is gone
http://www.richcraft.com/condos_centrepointe.html

http://www.richcraft.com/Images/comingsoon/centrepointe.gif

MountainView
Dec 21, 2012, 4:27 AM
It's so bland. I prefer the old proposal with the two towers. I guess this one is shorter but has more units overall?

kevinbottawa
Dec 21, 2012, 1:37 PM
The previous proposal was a lot better. They really changed it for the worse.

McC
Dec 21, 2012, 1:43 PM
that often happens with Richcraft.

Ottawan
Dec 21, 2012, 2:31 PM
The previous proposal was a lot better. They really changed it for the worse.

Absolutely. A very concrete example of obsession over height can have a real negative impact. There is little doubt in my mind that this will cast more shadows and obstruct more views than the taller proposal. It also makes the podium townhouses appear more fake.

That said, I still am a fan of the townhouse design. Hopefully the execute that well, as it is a redeeming feature of the development.

J.OT13
Dec 21, 2012, 3:16 PM
It's fine for the area, bland but not ugly (in terms of architecture).

waterloowarrior
Jan 7, 2013, 11:45 PM
recommended for approval .. revised height of 49m / 15 fl * 3
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=2406&doctype=agenda&itemid=122489

revised drawings are also up on devapps

MountainView
Jan 9, 2013, 12:08 AM
I still prefer the idea of 24&26fl towers over 3 X 15fl towers. The architecture and look was much nicer in the previous concept. Plus 3 towers will block much more sunlight / cast shadows / views. Sigh...

Nepean
Jan 11, 2013, 3:58 PM
Last night, I went to the AGM of the Centrepointe Community Association (CCA), where this project was discussed. Councillor Chiarelli made a presentation and the CCA President also spoke. As expected, residents raised many traditional concerns: e.g. parking problems; increased traffic; height; a decrease in property values in homes in the immediate vicinity of this project. (The latter was a concern, given that Richcraft has esimated that all three buildings could take up to five years to build from start to finish).

What seemed to be unique, however, was that the CCA did not start from an inflexible position. Don't get me wrong, if most local residents had their way, they would opt for the full implementation of the Centrepointe Community Design Plan that was passed by council several years ago. For many, the Richcraft project goes against the spirit of the CDP.

However, the CCA also went out of its way to say that Richcraft had taken their concerns seriously, and that discussions were productive. While this was not a kumbaya session in praise of developers, local residents seemed to realize that development would occur, and that they had to be constructive in their feedback, rather than yelling "No!" at the top of their lungs.

My takeaway is that many local residents are opposed to this project, while realizing that it is not productive to fight a pointless battle. As such, the CCA actively engaged with the developer this fall and made several productive suggestions. For instance, they have requested that a pathway link the buildings to Baseline Station, in order to promote the use of public transit, which would address concerns about traffic. As well, the CCA has asked that any paths be open to the public.

According to Coun. Chiarelli, this project is a model for how a community and a developer should engage. This doesn't mean everyone got what the wanted (in fact, nobody got 100%) but at least it seems that everyone was left with the feeling that their voices were heard and taken into account. In short, an interesting meeting.

McC
Jan 11, 2013, 4:03 PM
glad to hear it, we've been trying to work towards a similar approach in Mechanicsville, but it is very very difficult! And on all sides: there are residents who want to fight and WIN, developers who may value "presenting" more than "listening" in their "community engagement," and not least of all, City planning staff who have seemed to be very un-interested in working with the people who live in the part of the city being "planned" by a never-ending series of one-off zoning requests. Politics!

Dado
Jan 11, 2013, 5:51 PM
Absolutely. A very concrete example of obsession over height can have a real negative impact. There is little doubt in my mind that this will cast more shadows and obstruct more views than the taller proposal. It also makes the podium townhouses appear more fake.

That said, I still am a fan of the townhouse design. Hopefully the execute that well, as it is a redeeming feature of the development.

I still prefer the idea of 24&26fl towers over 3 X 15fl towers. The architecture and look was much nicer in the previous concept. Plus 3 towers will block much more sunlight / cast shadows / views. Sigh...

Given the location, there's not too much to shadow most of the time, and what impacts of shadowing there are is likely to be reduced with three shorter buildings (i.e. long morning shadows). It's an SSP fiction that fewer taller buildings always have fewer shadow impacts than more shorter ones. If there is little in the immediate vicinity, then the shadow impacts are related to shadow length and not shadow girth.

Three buildings also means less useless "parky" stuff at ground level.

I suspect that the reduction in architectural features is due to the developer discovering more interest in the development than anticipated, but probably at the mid-price level where aesthetics are less of a selling feature. Developers only add architectural flourishes if they think they need them to make the building more profitable; if a developer can make more profit by not having architectural flourishes then that is what they will build. The idea that taller buildings result in extra architectural flourishes is another one of those SSP fictions that is not grounded in any kind of economic rationality. In other words, the developer may first have proposed extra architectural flourishes initially because this site is out at Centrepointe where they anticipated less latent demand, so the flourishes (and height) were added because that's what they thought they needed to attract buyers, especially high-end buyers. But if they subsequently found out that the extras were not helping at all as most of the interest was from mid-price point buyers and may just have been driving up costs, then out they went.

That may also partly explain the switch from two to three buildings: you're not selling views of the Ottawa River ensconced in Westboro, after all. You're likely selling to people interested in better transit service to downtown, proximity to major retail and maybe the opportunity for student rental accommodations. Taller buildings aren't costless and if high-end buyers are not interested, then reducing the height while adding an extra building could make a lot of sense. Moreover, three buildings rather than two allows for the construction to be phased over a longer period.

first-time-buyer
Sep 11, 2013, 11:17 AM
Can't wait for this one to go live.
Richcraft has made some beautiful projects.
I think location is ideal and I like the idea of more affordable condos near transit hubs. If they can provide decent space (550-700 squarefeet) from the low to mid 200s then they should get a decent response.

trhgr
Sep 11, 2013, 12:48 PM
registration page... fancy top is gone
http://www.richcraft.com/condos_centrepointe.html

http://www.richcraft.com/Images/comingsoon/centrepointe.gif
Yuk! Reminds me of these horrible Claridge towers on Vanier Parkway (aka La Tiffany).

J.OT13
Sep 12, 2013, 12:45 AM
Developer: Richcraft
Architect: Roderick Lahey
Planning Consultant: FoTenn

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6057/6289588105_0d5b474ea0_b.jpg

Original designs were way better. But hey! who wants two nice slime towers near their house? Three shorter bland towers are so much better.

rocketphish
Jul 1, 2016, 1:09 AM
Centrepointe CDP area exempt from new parking minimums once bylaw passes
Ottawa committee approves changes to parking bylaw for inner urban core

By Jennifer McIntosh
Ottawa East News, Jun 29, 2016

A new City of Ottawa bylaw that would reduce the number of parking spots required for developments in the inner urban core, won’t apply to areas within the boundaries of the Centrepointe Community Design Plan, said College Coun. Rick Chiarelli.

The city’s planning committee approved changes to the minimum-parking bylaw on June 28. It’s the first time the city has altered the bylaw since the 1960s. The changes will be considered by council on July 13.

Under the new rules, developments within a 400-800-metre walk from light rail stations would not have to provide parking – except apartment buildings that have more than 12 units.

“There’s so much going on at Centrepointe that it makes sense for us to do minimum parking requirements at the same time as maximums,” Chiarelli said.

The community design plan for Centrepointe has been in the works for the last seven years. Chiarelli said 200 residents attended the last public meeting.

He added that a city staffer at the meeting said the city would be looking at parking maximums over the next few months.

At the planning committee meeting, staff wouldn’t commit to a timeline.

Aside from the community design plan, a development is proposed for 19 Centrepointe Dr., at the intersection of Constellation Drives.

“With the Centrepointe CDP looking for new, targeted zoning in the place of parking lots, it’s best to wait to deal with parking,” Chiarelli said, adding the exemption from the bylaw change would mean Centrepointe adheres to the original minimums set out 50 years ago.

Planning committee chair Jan Harder said there is a lot of pressure for parking spots in that area, and any reduction to minimums would drive cars to residential roads.

The committee carried his motion – which will keep the parking requirements status quo in Centrepointe for the time being – but Chiarelli said he had two dozen speakers on hand who were willing to make a pitch to committee.

The committee also approved a motion by Kanata South Coun. Allan Hubley that clarifies the rules around visitor parking. The motion also clarified that the rules will apply to the urban core, not the suburban and rural areas.

“You can imagine the overflow on residential streets if developers got an exemption from parking requirements in the suburbs,” Harder said.

Some of the highlights of the bylaw changes include:

* Near rapid transit stations outside the core, parking rates on non-residential properties could be reduced by up to 50 per cent.

* In the inner urban area, small-scale development both residential and commercial, would be exempt from parking minimums. Non-residential properties parking requirements could be reduced by half.

Jennifer McIntosh is the political reporter for Metroland Media¹s Ottawa papers. She can be reached at jennifer.mcintosh@metroland.com.

rocketphish
Apr 20, 2020, 9:44 PM
Richcraft has resubmitted their proposal for 19 Centrepointe Drive. The proposed development now consists of three (3) towers standing at 22, 24, and 26 storeys each. The towers are identified as Tower A proposed at 22-storeys (69m), Tower B proposed at 26-storeys (81m), and Tower C proposed at 24-storeys (75m). Tower A is proposed to include 188 dwellings units while Tower B is proposed to include 219 dwelling units, and Tower C will feature 178 dwelling units for a total of 585 dwelling units. The units are a mix of one-bedroom, one-bedroom with den, and two-bedroom units in addition to a small number of studio units. Units on the ground floor are directly accessible from the exterior at grade. Richcraft continues to evaluate the market conditions to determine the type of tenancy for each tower but it is anticipated that a significant portion will be rental.

Access to the site is proposed via a driveway from Gemini Way leading to the interior of the development and each tower’s respective main entrance. A small loop is proposed to permit easy drop off for residents in addition to a ten (10) surface parking spaces for delivery or visitors. Three (3) levels of underground parking are proposed and will be shared between all three (3) towers. A total of 552 vehicle parking spaces (slightly less than 1 per unit) and 312 bicycle parking spaces are proposed for the site. The parking garages also include bicycle tune up and maintenance spaces in addition to garbage rooms and storage space for residents.

Architect: rla architecture

Development application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__BRA9GP

https://i.imgur.com/OxOSNeN.png

Siteplan:

https://i.imgur.com/0zh997E.png

https://i.imgur.com/EtxXsA0.png

Renderings:

https://i.imgur.com/olHndtS.png

https://i.imgur.com/rW9m5ZB.png

https://i.imgur.com/T3WV5sl.png

rocketphish
Apr 20, 2020, 9:53 PM
I dug up images of the previous plan from 2013, for comparison purposes:

https://i.imgur.com/qzrK6Fq.png

https://i.imgur.com/oQFXElU.png

kevinbottawa
Apr 21, 2020, 12:24 AM
The townhouses in the original proposal was a nice touch. I actually prefer the original proposal.

J.OT13
Apr 21, 2020, 12:45 AM
The townhouses in the original proposal was a nice touch. I actually prefer the original proposal.

I agree. Free standing towers with no podium looks weird. Three free standing towers with different designs surrounded by low density seems weird.

J.OT13
Apr 24, 2020, 6:14 PM
Richcraft proposes trio of residential towers near Baseline station

OBJ, April 24, 2020

https://obj.ca/sites/default/files/styles/article_main/public/2020-04/Screenshot%202020-04-24%20at%2012.35.17%20PM.png?itok=OlcSOehF

Years after scrapping a controversial plan to construct a trio of 15-storey condos near Algonquin College, an Ottawa developer has submitted a new proposal calling for three highrises of more than 20 storeys each at the site.

In planning documents recently filed at City Hall, Richcraft Homes says it wants to build three residential towers of 22, 24 and 26 storeys at 19 Centrepointe Dr., less than half a kilometre from the Baseline transit station that will be part of phase two of light rail. The project would include a total of 585 units in a mix of one- and two-bedroom apartments as well as studio units.

Unlike Richcraft’s previous plan, according to the documents prepared by Fotenn Planning + Design, “a significant portion” of the units in the latest proposal would be rental apartments.

The plan calls for a total of 552 parking spaces for vehicles, including 405 spaces for residents and 117 for visitors and all but 10 of them underground. There would also be 312 spots for bicycles.

All units on the ground floor of the buildings would be directly accessible from outside. The proposal includes more than 60,000 square feet of amenity space with nearly 40,000 square feet of communal areas featuring an indoor pool, cafe, gym and party room.

The proposal would require amendments to both zoning bylaws and the city’s official plan. The project’s height and density exceed current limits, while zoning bylaws now in place call for nearly 300 more parking spaces than Richcraft is proposing.

According to planning documents, Richcraft held a public consultation with the Centrepointe Community Association last November to discuss the plan, where residents expressed concerns about increased traffic and density and a lack of parking that could result in an overflow of cars on to nearby streets.

However, the developer says the site’s proximity to a future light rail station will likely translate into fewer residents requiring parking spots and a reduced flow of vehicles from the property.

“Given the transit-oriented nature of the development and its proximity to the Baseline Transit Station and the planned LRT extension, an effort should be made to encourage transit ridership within the development and a reduced parking rate would help achieve this,” the documents say. “An excess of bicycle parking is provided to offset some of the reduced private vehicle parking.”

This isn’t the first time Richcraft has proposed a major residential development for the Centrepointe Drive site.

In 2011, the developer filed plans for a two-highrise project featuring towers of 22 and 24 storeys. The proposal was later changed to three 15-storey condos, and council approved the project in early 2013 despite objections from some residents about the expected increase in vehicle traffic.

According to documents recently filed with the city, Richcraft planned to construct the towers over a period of five years, but the builder ultimately abandoned the project due to “changing market demand for condominium units.”

https://obj.ca/article/richcraft-proposes-trio-residential-towers-near-baseline-station

Harley613
Apr 24, 2020, 7:25 PM
https://obj.ca/article/richcraft-proposes-trio-residential-towers-near-baseline-station

Looks like more Lahey garbage

McKellarDweller
Apr 24, 2020, 7:58 PM
I agree with others that the townhouses and podium from the old proposal are better for the street interaction, and overall aesthetics. I'm very happy with the density and use profile proposed though!! I'm really looking forward to seeing this Centrepointe-College Square-Baseline Station area "grow up" and get its much deserved way more live-work-play amenities in the next 20 years.

Multi-modal
Oct 28, 2020, 4:48 PM
This one got updated again to two 24 story towers with a 4-storey connecting podium and more ground floor oriented units (similar to the original proposal for this site). The architecture is still very RLA, but I like the massing much better:

https://i.imgur.com/ZncF1Sx.png

https://i.imgur.com/bs6SKJt.png

https://i.imgur.com/AlCaLMC.png

J.OT13
Oct 28, 2020, 5:25 PM
I much prefer this to the three independent towers. Design is still "very RLA", to use your words, but better than other RLA designs.

Arcologist
Oct 28, 2020, 5:26 PM
This latest proposal is by far the best of the three, but I'm it's too bad they didn't keep three more slender towers, rather than the two bulkier ones.

rocketphish
Oct 29, 2020, 1:01 AM
Here are a few more renderings, including several that feature a dog's butt:

https://i.imgur.com/29LsvIF.png

https://i.imgur.com/mXs3UuQ.png

https://i.imgur.com/bdE3239.png

https://i.imgur.com/Urjf5b1.png

https://i.imgur.com/rmRT27C.png

https://i.imgur.com/2fbShFR.png

https://i.imgur.com/izZJc7I.png

https://i.imgur.com/DCAL8Nt.png

https://i.imgur.com/UatPUNe.png

https://i.imgur.com/2UftVly.png

https://i.imgur.com/gRUp5u2.png

https://i.imgur.com/G7tdS4L.png

https://i.imgur.com/aSQ804j.png

https://i.imgur.com/d8g7daf.png

https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__BRA9GP

Harley613
Oct 29, 2020, 1:34 AM
People are going to come to this city in 10 years when half of the towers in the city are nearly identical RLA designs and be very very confused.

rocketphish
May 11, 2021, 2:07 AM
The design changes proposed in this latest submission seek to improve the angular plane of the towers and create a softer transition to low-rise dwellings across Centrepointe Drive in addition to some changes that reduce the massing of the building. Tower A is now proposed at 22-storeys and Tower B is proposed at 24-storeys. The following changes have been incorporated:

Modifying the tower design to create a more slender profile.
Stepping back of Tower B at levels 20 and 24 to improve the fit of the massing within the prescribed angular plane.
Portions of the glass façade at the podium levels have been changed to include solid materials.

https://i.imgur.com/yTQ62bB.png

https://i.imgur.com/0u2MAMF.png

https://i.imgur.com/yb8de6Y.png

https://i.imgur.com/hdkh9xS.png

https://i.imgur.com/S9Imrb2.png

https://i.imgur.com/9Ju1tYo.png

https://i.imgur.com/fqc2Nm5.png

https://i.imgur.com/X63NxA0.png

https://i.imgur.com/sE21Zjr.png

https://i.imgur.com/9NAoPtR.png

zzptichka
May 11, 2021, 2:52 AM
These bland towers make me sad. Would rather have eight bland 6-floor buildings than two 24-floor towers surrounded by asphalt and grass.

RideauRat
May 11, 2021, 3:53 AM
still the same 'Bleh' but with a 180 degree rotation.

Harley613
May 11, 2021, 12:51 PM
These bland towers make me sad. Would rather have eight bland 6-floor buildings than two 24-floor towers surrounded by asphalt and grass.

Roderick Lahey Architecture is ruining this city one neighbourhood at a time.

phil235
May 11, 2021, 1:13 PM
People are gofing to come to this city in 10 years when half of the towers in the city are nearly identical RLA designs and be very very confused.

Yeah, the typical story is someone coming home late and accidentally going in the wrong suburban house. We're going to have people coming in late and going in the entirely wrong condo tower.

Harley613
May 11, 2021, 1:21 PM
Yeah, the typical story is someone coming home late and accidentally going in the wrong suburban house. We're going to have people coming in late and going in the entirely wrong condo tower.

:haha: So true. Literally dozens of nearly identical institutional looking RLA towers with the exact same colour scheme, all within a few stories in height, all with subtle variations of the same design. Is this kind of thing happening in any other city on Earth?? One firm dominating the market so completely and with so little creativity???

rumple-stilts
May 11, 2021, 2:47 PM
:haha: So true. Literally dozens of nearly identical institutional looking RLA towers with the exact same colour scheme, all within a few stories in height, all with subtle variations of the same design. Is this kind of thing happening in any other city on Earth?? One firm dominating the market so completely and with so little creativity???

Seems RLA had a bit more design juice in the tank back in 2010-11 as seen from page one concept. Time to retire!

J.OT13
May 11, 2021, 2:52 PM
Seems RLA had a bit more design juice in the tank back in 2010-11 as seen from page one concept. Time to retire!

Ya, but it was very similar to some of his SoHo projects, built and conceptual. He was repeating better designs, but still repeating designs.

originalmuffins
May 20, 2021, 2:16 PM
Honestly, it's needed density for the area beside transit so it's nice to see some height outside of the core.... but those towers are so ugly lol. What a horrible design.

rocketphish
Jul 9, 2021, 12:46 AM
Tall-building proposals lead to planning committee approvals
Ottawa city council will consider the committee's recommendations on July 21.

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Jul 08, 2021 • 3 hours ago • 4 minute read

A long planning committee meeting on Thursday was marked by several approvals for tall buildings outside of the downtown core.

All developers won committee approvals for their projects, though one application drew larger-than-usual opposition from members.

Council will consider the committee’s recommendations on July 21.

<snip>

Two-tower proposal for Centrepointe comes with $600k in community benefits

Packing residential density near the future LRT station at Algonquin College was an easy sell for one homebuilder.

Richcraft Homes wants to build two towers of 22 and 24 storeys, containing a total of 575 units, at 19 Centrepointe Dr. The company, which originally sought three towers, is planning rental units.

A Sec. 37 agreement would deliver $450,000 for traffic-calming measures in the ward, $80,000 for the Nepean Centrepointe library branch and $70,000 for parks. There would be monthly transit passes for residents of the buildings for one year. There would also be 300 more parking spaces for bikes than the zoning requires.

The application brought out a handful of residents in opposition of the proposal.

Brian Grant, representing the Centrepointe Community Association, said residents are worried about size of the buildings, the parking scheme and potential traffic impact.

College Coun. Rick Chiarelli said the LRT station is farther from the site than it looks, since pedestrians would be required to take a circuitous route.

Still, the committee vote was unanimous in favour of the development.

<snip>

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/tall-building-proposals-lead-to-planning-committee-approvals

rocketphish
Nov 7, 2021, 12:48 AM
September 2021 update: More gray brick.

https://i.imgur.com/gCr0cWl.png

https://i.imgur.com/oYjwtSH.png

https://i.imgur.com/TbQEK2w.png

https://i.imgur.com/zrIDpmF.png

https://i.imgur.com/5vGEmHw.png

https://i.imgur.com/Tb0xo2V.png

https://i.imgur.com/UD2mbBZ.png

https://i.imgur.com/4MiZlT0.png

https://i.imgur.com/ICJtYb9.png

https://i.imgur.com/cA54AXs.png

https://i.imgur.com/ZSYOQC2.png

https://i.imgur.com/DU72gQY.png

https://i.imgur.com/GWXQMfk.png

https://i.imgur.com/8E0fAzE.png

https://i.imgur.com/WJSrBYS.png

https://i.imgur.com/E2YxaQz.png

https://i.imgur.com/nmZmqS9.png

https://i.imgur.com/vW1zOJL.png

https://i.imgur.com/cbNtSOl.png

https://i.imgur.com/BIf7rNX.png

Marshsparrow
Nov 7, 2021, 3:30 PM
does eveything have to look exactly the same in this city... ???

Davis137
Nov 8, 2021, 1:10 PM
The town homes look like some of the ones built along the Queen Elizabeth Driveway in the last 10 years...

cr872190
Aug 26, 2022, 2:06 PM
Site prep started on this one earlier this week.

Harley613
Aug 26, 2022, 3:32 PM
Site prep started on this one earlier this week.

Damn. I was really hoping this one wouldn't materialize. CharcWhite warts growing all over the West end.

ponyboycurtis
Aug 26, 2022, 6:55 PM
Newest renders look a lot like Westgate which turned out to be decent looking in my opinion.

Not gonna argue with the sameyness sentiment.

Harley613
Oct 4, 2022, 5:58 PM
Excavation is well underway, pics later this evening.

Harley613
Oct 4, 2022, 9:28 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52405479313_0861dde4a0_h.jpg

originalmuffins
Oct 4, 2022, 10:24 PM
Honestly, height is nonexistent here, and this is very close to Algonquin station. We can take what we can get here because any decent height here is going to have the NIMBYs up in arms.

ponyboycurtis
Oct 6, 2022, 5:55 AM
Honestly, height is nonexistent here, and this is very close to Algonquin station. We can take what we can get here because any decent height here is going to have the NIMBYs up in arms.

Not only is it close to Algonquin station, you don't have to walk down Baseline or Woodroffe. The route directly to the station is fairly calm. College Square and Home depot etc are also walkable.

rocketphish
Feb 22, 2023, 4:06 PM
Approved (Feb 17, 2023)

Height reduction from 22+24f to 21+23f, reduced footprint, and more charc with less white. The RLA dumb-downification is now complete. See all changes here (http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Image%20Referencing_Site%20Plan%20Application_Image%20Reference_2023-02-08%20-%20Set%202023%20Comparison%20-%20D07-12-23-0015.PDF).

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applications/D07-12-23-0015/details

https://i.imgur.com/H9Akwb3.png

https://i.imgur.com/AG5YXHD.png

rocketphish
Feb 22, 2023, 4:32 PM
Some of the updated renderings:

https://i.imgur.com/ZKFH3Oo.png

https://i.imgur.com/cQvKx5f.png

https://i.imgur.com/VWO0DO1.png

https://i.imgur.com/CpUDO6G.png

https://i.imgur.com/0Pt5ZDH.png

https://i.imgur.com/aPTnCYn.png

https://i.imgur.com/S3vU2Sz.png

sgera
Feb 22, 2023, 4:34 PM
i believe this is well under construction - excavation is pretty deep. I would imagine crane is going up soon.

Harley613
Feb 22, 2023, 5:01 PM
Disgusting copy paste RLArbage

Nowhere
Feb 22, 2023, 6:56 PM
Are they building both towers at the same time ?

McKellarDweller
Feb 22, 2023, 9:12 PM
Well, looking at those renderings - and knowing as a fact how inferior the final product will be - has been the low point of my day. I absolutely love Centrepointe and its environs. I really hoped for something above a copycat of the dozens of low-effort cheapo grey and white Ottawa highrises.

Harley613
Feb 22, 2023, 10:59 PM
I can't think of another city on this planet that is building 100+ of the same building all across the urban area. Not in this century, anyhow.

Marcus CLS
Mar 18, 2023, 3:49 PM
A Tower Crane has gone up last week. Based on my line of site being partially blocked from my balcony I cannot confirm a 2nd Crane.

LeadingEdgeBoomer
Mar 18, 2023, 7:55 PM
I can't think of another city on this planet that is building 100+ of the same building all across the urban area. Not in this century, anyhow.

It will make Ottawa unique. Tourists will come from afar to see it and marvel at the efficiency of it all. :notacrook:

J.OT13
Mar 20, 2023, 1:06 PM
It will make Ottawa unique. Tourists will come from afar to see it and marvel at the efficiency of it all. :notacrook:

China and Russia could learn a thing or two! :haha:

Harley613
Apr 3, 2023, 11:38 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52791026172_7f9ff3e4d1_h.jpg

SL123
Apr 4, 2023, 12:05 AM
So it looks like this one is gonna be called Centrepointe Collective.https://centrepointecollective.com/

Looks like Richcraft is starting with a "Collective" branding. They also have the Parkdale Collective

OTSkyline
Apr 4, 2023, 12:46 PM
Didn't realize that this one and Soho Baseline were so close to each other.

J.OT13
Apr 4, 2023, 3:55 PM
These buildings are really disappointing. I expect more from Richcraft.

ponyboycurtis
Apr 6, 2023, 3:22 AM
These buildings are really disappointing. I expect more from Richcraft.

Well with any luck maybe they will over deliver on the finished product compared to the renders unlike the Malholtra corporation.

It's definitely an interesting excavation footprint.

Harley613
May 19, 2023, 1:53 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52908737442_06e00190a4_h.jpg

Harley613
Aug 9, 2023, 10:11 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53105644124_6e1bca7177_k.jpg

OTSkyline
Aug 10, 2023, 2:16 PM
Forgot how close this one actually is to Soho Baseline. That's 3 decent tower additions in the area. I'm all for added density around College Square.

Harley613
Aug 18, 2023, 3:38 PM
Guess who learned to do perfectly accurate (height only, base is freeform) basic 3D modeling overlays in Google Earth? Get ready for a massive dump of future skyline angles from all over the city in the coming days!

https://i.postimg.cc/XNCkHRJz/3-D-Model-1.jpg

J.OT13
Aug 18, 2023, 3:41 PM
Guess who learned to do perfectly accurate (height only, base is freeform) basic 3D modeling overlays in Google Earth? Get ready for a massive dump of future skyline angles from all over the city in the coming days!

I am bursting with anticipation! :D

These are going to be pretty cool.

You should add Algonquin Station head houses to this one.

OTSkyline
Aug 18, 2023, 3:55 PM
Wow exciting! Any possibility of those large grass patches in the middle to be redeveloped at some point? Or are they nationally significant parks?

Uhuniau
Aug 18, 2023, 4:08 PM

This is excellent; now you can quantify how many children the perpetual shadow will kill! :)

zzptichka
Aug 18, 2023, 4:29 PM
This development sucks though. 3 lonely boring towers between highways, parking lots and green deserts. Flashbacks from the 70s.

Give me this:

https://www.westburymontreal.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/westbury-montreal-vue-centrale-02.jpg

Davis137
Aug 18, 2023, 6:22 PM
This is only going to motivate developers to buy up more properties in the vicinity of Algonquin, and start building more vertical density...

OTSkyline
Aug 18, 2023, 6:56 PM
It's almost impossible to build something like that (a master planned community) when it's not a huge empty piece of land owned by 1 entity. In this case I imagine it's a bunch of individual landowners.

But I hope the green field in between and many of those parking lots fronting Baseline and Woodroffe (along the College) would be redeveloped like that with street-level retail and condos/rentals/residences above.

J.OT13
Aug 18, 2023, 7:07 PM
Closest thing to a masterplan in this area, and that's 15 years ago.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159739&highlight=algonquin&page=2

The City is leasing the building at Centrepoint (100 Constellation) from Arnon. From what I understand, it's a 23 year lease, with an option to buy at the end of said lease.

On 1 July 2003, the City entered into an Assignment and Amendment of Lease Agreement with Nortel Networks Limited and Arnon Corporation with respect to the office building municipally known as 100 Constellation Crescent which provides for the City to lease the building until 28 February 2026 and for the City to have an option to purchase the building at the end of the lease term for a purchase price that will be significantly less than the estimated market value.

https://app06.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/csedc/2010/08-17/10-FINAL%20-%20ACS2010-CMR-REP-0041%20-%20100%20Constellation.htm

OTSkyline
Aug 18, 2023, 7:58 PM
Weird... It seems like OttawaU and Carleton have expanded quite a lot in the past 20 years and continue to grow their campuses, that doesn't seem to hold true with Algonquin. Any theories why?

In that master plan they had a phase 1, phase 2, phase 3 up till 2016 but none of it materialized other than the 1 building across the street on Woodroffe. Most of those empty lots, parking lots of park-n-rides should be developed. With Algonquin still being fairly central and having a bus network and a future LRT station, that land should be used for high density, not for park-n-rides.

vtecyo
Aug 19, 2023, 1:18 AM
Weird... It seems like OttawaU and Carleton have expanded quite a lot in the past 20 years and continue to grow their campuses, that doesn't seem to hold true with Algonquin. Any theories why?

In that master plan they had a phase 1, phase 2, phase 3 up till 2016 but none of it materialized other than the 1 building across the street on Woodroffe. Most of those empty lots, parking lots of park-n-rides should be developed. With Algonquin still being fairly central and having a bus network and a future LRT station, that land should be used for high density, not for park-n-rides.

Wikipedia says Carleton has ~32,000 students, U of O is ~48,000 students, and Algonquin has 56,000 (19,000 full-time; 37,000 part-time). I don't know what those were 20 years ago - but maybe their growth has been mostly part-time students?

Those could be mostly evening, weekend or online students. If so - Algonquin could use be getting more use out of their buildings by using them more in off peak hours.

J.OT13
Aug 20, 2023, 5:29 PM
Seems like our society really pushes people to go to University, even though we probably need more college graduates. It seems mostly people with lower high school marks go to College, so it's more about that than maybe what the student might want to do.

Since 2010, La Cité (about 5k FT students) has also seen some limited expansion, with a trades building in Orleans, an emergency services building at the main campus, and a "innovation" building, also at the main campus. So it total, it may have grown 25%? When I was a student there 10+ years ago, we were promised all sorts of expansions that never cam to fruition.