PDA

View Full Version : The Point [1131-1151 Teron Rd] | 9+28m | 3+9f | U/C

waterloowarrior
Aug 3, 2012, 4:18 AM
March and Teron beside the Hydro Line.

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__85A2CR
To rezone the subject property from DR (Development Reserve) and R1M[773] (Residential First Density, Subzone M, Urban Exception 773) to R5A[XXXX] (Residential Fifth Density, Urban Exception XXX) to accommodate a building with a 10 and 15 apartment storey tower and six three-storey townhomes for a total of 179 units. Underground parking is proposed for the apartment units and at grade parking will be provided for the visitors and townhome units. The exception would be to reduce the corner side yard from 4.5 to 3.0 metres; reduce the interior side yard setback from 7.5 metres to 1.0 metre; reduce the rear yard setback from 6.0 metres to 2.5 metres and to permit a maximum building height of 53.8 metres with a residential penthouse.

http://www.yourottawaregion.com/news/local/article/1387269--residents-oppose-proposed-teron-road-highrise

http://media.mmgcommunity.topscms.com/images/a9/ec/8e747b69414fbd2c91da59897b18.jpg

Residents oppose proposed Teron Road highrise

Jessica Cunha
July 4, 2012
Around 60 people turned out for a public meeting on a proposed development to build a two-tiered highrise in Beaverbrook, on Monday, June 25.

Kanata North Coun. Marianne Wilkinson and the Kanata Beaverbrook Community Association (KBCA) hosted the meeting to inform the community about an application to rezone the property and to find out what people would like to see at the location.

“We wanted to ask you to give us ideas,” she said. “Keeping everything exactly as is, is not going to work.”

Developer Phil Bottriell owns about 1.6 hectares of land at 1131 Teron Rd., where his current house sits, backing onto March Road. He issued a request to the city to rezone the land to allow for a 10- and 15-storey, two-tiered building, as well as six three-storey townhouses.

Beaverbrook residents at the meeting felt this proposal doesn’t fit in with the community.

“The proposal of this 15- and 10-storey (building) is way too much for this area,” said Andrew Crain, who lives in the area.

“I just feel it’s so inappropriate for the whole community,” said Beth Mlacak.

Colin Billowes a Beaverbrook resident since the 1960s, echoed the statements.

“It’s ridiculous – highly out of character and proportion for the community,” he said. “I think anything more than two storeys is inappropriate.”

Residents recently went to bat against another rezoning application to allow for a 16-storey residential building at 2 The Parkway. The final report on that request was slated to be released on June 29, but has been postponed until mid-August.

“Beaverbrook is recognized as a garden city,” said KBCA president Gary Sealey. “We should say no to developments that don’t fit.”

SPECIFIC

Wilkinson said she wanted to hold the meeting to brainstorm alternatives for the site. Although the city can’t tell a developer what to put on his or her land, comments from the community can help shape the final report and whether or not the re-zoning application is approved.

“Beaverbrook has a very distinct character,” she said. “We want to know what residents think should go there.”

When it came to arguments against the 2 The Parkway proposal, residents weren’t specific enough in their comments on how it would affect them, Wilkinson said.

“What we really need to do is focus on Beaverbrook and what it means to you,” she told the crowd, adding it makes a difference if every person submits an individual comment. “The input from the community is very, very important.”

Neil Thomson, KBCA director of planning, said the proposed 197-unit building would have site lines into the backyards of neighbouring houses.

Privacy, “it’s critical to people of Bethune,” he said, adding people should focus their comments on how the building could impact them.

He said complaints about the strain on traffic, sewers and transportation wouldn’t be taken into account.

“If we want to be effective…we have to play the game,” he said. “Arguing it’s going to decrease the property value is not going to be effective.”

Bethune resident Gail White said she was worried about the amount of foot-traffic that could result from the number of proposed units.

“We can’t fence ourselves off,” she said.

TOWN CENTRE

A number of people at the meeting said the 10- and 15-storey, two-tiered highrise would fit better in the town centre, located near the Kanata Centrum, where higher density buildings have already been built.

“We care about the fabric of this community as a whole,” said KBCA member Gerry Holt. “It belongs just down the road in the Kanata Town Centre.”

Some of the alternatives proposed for the Teron Road site included:

* Seniors bungalows.

* Two- or three-storey offices.

* Two-storey townhomes.

* Medical centre.

* Maintain the status quo.

“The report should include comments from the community saying what they think will better fit,” said Wilkinson.

Bill Teron, known as the “Father of Kanata,” has pledged to help bankroll any legal fights that might ensue because of this proposed development, and the one at 2 The Parkway.

A committee has put together a “war chest” to help cover any legal costs that might arise.

“In a few months you can destroy 50 years of planning,” he said about spot re-zoning. “We will fight this until the end. If we lose, we will appeal.

“This will not happen except over our dead bodies.”

Comments on the proposal can be sent to city planner Marc Magierowicz through email at marc.magierowicz@ottawa.ca or by phone at 613-580-2424 ext. 27820. The deadline is July 6, but comments will still be accepted after that time.

S-Man
Aug 3, 2012, 4:35 AM
I can't even comment on this. Suffice it to say I won't ever be living amongst the residents of Beaverbrook, lest they disapprove of the style of my shirt and dip into their "war chest".

So when do the guided tours of this 1960s suburb begin? I'm sure the world wants to see the car-centric suburban utopia in action.

Postmaster
Aug 3, 2012, 5:50 AM
I'd like to know what they consider to be 'distinct character'. If it's taken them 50 years to build up a segment of urban sprawl not different from any other in this city, I'm not convinced of any reason why they shouldn't embrace something that might keep people working closer to home.

amanfromnowhere
Aug 3, 2012, 1:53 PM
“This will not happen except over our dead bodies.”

I thought retirement means enjoying the life... Soon we will see additional pressure to our health care system...

S-Man
Aug 3, 2012, 3:34 PM
I thought retirement means enjoying the life... Soon we will see additional pressure to our health care system...

From what I've witnessed, retirement in Ottawa means years spent obsessively defending your "quality of life" by opposing every project proposed for your neighbourhood, whether it be residential, transit, or retail.

Do these people go to their deathbeds repenting "I wish I had wasted more time fighting to keep things the same in my backyard"? Jesus - hug your grandkid. Smell a flower. Take a vacation. Life goes on.

This raises an issue I've long had a beef with - people will donate huge amounts of time and personal funds to resist change and keep people out of their neighbourhood (FOL being the biggest so far), but think of what that time and money could have done to make the city a better place for all people to live in, rather than just one person.

S-Man
Aug 3, 2012, 3:49 PM
Reminds me a bit of this fight:

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/the-insufferable-neighborhood-activists/Content?oid=4282008

Lakche
Aug 5, 2012, 1:54 AM
So at this location...

The shadows, for most of the day, are in the field below the power lines.
Literally right across the street from this location is three 6-storey office towers.
It's pretty much at the end of Teron, near March, so traffic wouldn't be much of an issue.

Seems like a good location for some density.

Plus the further down March you drive, there's nothing but 10+ storey office towers.

S-Man
Aug 5, 2012, 6:04 AM
Don't tell that to the people who have lived there years and are totally aware of the kind of architecture/planning they are protecting.

citizen j
Aug 9, 2012, 8:35 PM
I can't even comment on this. Suffice it to say I won't ever be living amongst the residents of Beaverbrook, lest they disapprove of the style of my shirt and dip into their "war chest".

So when do the guided tours of this 1960s suburb begin? I'm sure the world wants to see the car-centric suburban utopia in action.

There are no public guided tours of the neighbourhood; entry is by invitation only. Of course, it's not a gated community so you can just walk/drive in if you want, but be forewarned that your barbarian presence will be met immediately with the dreaded withering glance of disapproval of the locals.

S-Man
Aug 10, 2012, 12:13 AM
Those withering glances will be countered by my steely gaze and an upturned middle hand digit.

kevinbottawa
Dec 6, 2013, 7:16 AM
Nine- and three-storey buildings proposed for Teron Road

Public meeting to be held Dec. 17

Kanata Kourier-Standard
By Jessica Cunha

http://media.zuza.com/2/1/21eed9c4-69b1-4652-b68d-1e4f636cfb74/ArtistRenderings1131TeronProposal___Gallery.jpg

The developer who proposed a 15-storey highrise in Beaverbrook has come back with a new pitch for a nine-storey building coupled with a three-storey apartment complex.

Phil Bottriell who owns 1.48 hectares of land at 1131 Teron Rd. first issued a request to the city early last year to rezone the land for a 10- and 15-storey, two-tiered building, as well as six three-storey townhouses. More than 300 residents attended a public meeting in August 2012 to voice their opposition to a highrise in the middle of a low-rise community.

The developer went back to the drawing board, this time creating a multi-storey complex ranging from five to nine floors, which would transition away from Teron Road.

“The development proposal has been revised once again to deal with issues pertaining to the previously proposed ‘high-rise’ nature of one of the two structures,” it states in the submitted plan.

According to the developer’s application, the transition allows for landscaping treatment that “is more in keeping with the physical characteristics of the highrise Atrium condominium site located at the easterly end of Teron Road.”

As well, it states that most units will have terraces or balconies, except for most of those facing the existing townhouses at Bethune Condominium.

On the east side of the proposed nine-storey building, existing vegetation and new planting will “help to increase the transitioning between the existing low rise built form and the proposed midrise building.”

The three-storey apartment would not be significantly taller than the townhouse units so there is “no valid transition issue” between the existing community and the proposed building, states the report.

The nine-storey building would contain around 109 units, down from 173 in the first plan, and the three-storey apartment would hold around 18 to 24 units, according to the proposal. The developer is also looking at the potential of opening the ground floor of the apartment building to non-residential uses.

Kanata North Coun. Marianne Wilkinson told attendees at her monthly town hall meeting on Nov. 25 about the new proposal and the plan for a public meeting, to be held this month.

She said because the land is close to a future transit station on March Road, the city’s policy allows up to nine storeys.

“That was the rational; when you’re that close you can go up to nine storeys,” she said. “I still think it’s too high.”

The public meeting is set for Dec. 17, from 7 to 9 p.m. at Kanata United Church, 33 Leacock Dr.

Resident Mario Poirier said the community needs to look at the precedent an approval to the plan would set for other areas.

Neil Thomson, member of the Kanata Beaverbrook Community Association said the new proposal still doesn’t fit within the character of the existing community.

“This development is too high and too close to the street, to adjacent homes on Bethune Court, to homes across the street on Jackson Court and Varley Lane.”

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/4255607-nine-and-three-storey-buildings-proposed-for-teron-road/

gjhall
Dec 6, 2013, 3:00 PM
http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/4255607-nine-and-three-storey-buildings-proposed-for-teron-road/

"Too close to the street"

I'll just be over here, pulling my hair out.

McC
Dec 6, 2013, 3:45 PM
NOOOO! Not that hair!

S-Man
Dec 6, 2013, 5:08 PM
Is this 'Beaverbrook's 9/11, part 2' ?? (to quote the most hilariously hyperbolic sentence ever uttered by a community association and reported in the media?)

1overcosc
Dec 6, 2013, 9:32 PM
What the hell is with these Beaverbrook people? I know this is Ottawa and making a fuss about new things is a seemingly mandatory behaviour, but this is ridiculous.

We've found the suburban equivalent of the Glebe, everybody. (Yay?)

This is a really good project, IMO. Immediately adjacent to Kanata North BRT, which is a big plus because that corridor needs intensification... without it, anything more than 30 minute service in the off-peak won't be justifiable and we'll have an expensive busway with almost no buses on it.

Rentals are a really smart idea at this location. Perfect for all the out-of-town co-op and internship students from Waterloo, Queens, etc. doing placements at the business park.

S-Man
Dec 7, 2013, 1:52 AM
more rentals can only be a good thing.

Marshsparrow
Dec 7, 2013, 12:48 PM
I'm sick of all the dark, looming, scary shadows this will cause...:shrug:

gjhall
Dec 7, 2013, 3:10 PM
I'm sick of all the dark, looming, scary shadows this will cause...:shrug:

Has anyone checked if these shadows are of the PERMANENT and LIGHT BLOCKING variety?:koko:

waterloowarrior
May 21, 2014, 7:43 PM
recommended for approval
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/agdocs.aspx?doctype=agenda&itemid=318206

ward councillor is opposed
http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/05/21/councillor-battles-city-over-north-kanata-apartment-proposal

Proof Sheet
May 21, 2014, 8:18 PM
recommended for approval
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/agdocs.aspx?doctype=agenda&itemid=318206

ward councillor is opposed
http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/05/21/councillor-battles-city-over-north-kanata-apartment-proposal

And we all know how well she has done in front of the OMB in the past. Her clutching at straws testimony in 2005 as an 'expert planning witness' didn't enhance her reputation.

Proof Sheet
May 27, 2014, 5:26 PM
What the hell is with these Beaverbrook people? I know this is Ottawa and making a fuss about new things is a seemingly mandatory behaviour, but this is ridiculous.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/05/27/councillor-wins-deferral-of-kanata-apartment-application

Here is what happened today. I'm not really sure what a 2 week cooling off period will do. The Councillor will be able to tell her constituants that she is fighting their case.

S-Man
May 27, 2014, 9:58 PM
From CFRA:

Kanata North development decision delayed

Posted on 5/27/2014 5:34:00 PM by Stephanie Kinsella

A Kanata North redevelopment is in a time-out and tempers are flaring.

Phillip Bottriel owns a section of land between Teron and March Roads and is proposing 120 residential units, with most set to be part of a nine-storey building, with the rest in a three-storey building.

On Tuesday, city hall's planning committee approved putting off a decision for two weeks.

But Councillor Marianne Wilkinson continues to fume over the project, and argued the area is unique with its garden city concept.

"The whole area was designed so that high rises would go in the Kanata Town Centre, there's a design for that. That's why we got three, 15-storey buildings there. Where do you see another 15 storey building outside the Greenbelt? There aren't any."

The original proposal called for a 10 and 15-storey building and 172 units, but city staff rejected that. But Wilkinson said that's hardly a win.

"The city staff doesn't care about other communities. I'm sorry, they really don't understand or care what quality this community is. This is a community that we're trying to get into a heritage district because it has used the planning schools as a whole concept of development which is unusual in Canada."

Councillor Peter Hume, who chairs the planning committee, blasted Wilkinson for her insult to staff and said "that's just a terrible statement for an elected official to make."

He said he will vote in favour of the project because it fits with the city's planning policies, including one stipulation that bigger buildings be located close to transit.

"It's not high-rise development. Every other community in this city would consider it a mid-rise building. So you know, it can happen on the Vanier Parkway, like it did in Peter Clark's ward. It happens in my ward where you get two, 15-storey towers next to single family home communities. This is what our Official Plan calls for."

Wilkinson hopes Bill Teron, dubbed the founder of Kanata and who designed the Beaverbrook Community, can win over residents and the site owner with a new design, even though the owner has his own architects.

The project will be back up debate, and a decision, on June 10.

The 'Garden City' strikes again, it seems. And overlord Bill Teron, who got rich selling a subdivision to affluent suburbanites in the 1960s, will ride in on his white steed and make it all better.

How exactly is a councillor allowed to assign an architect/developer of her choice to a private project to suit her own demands? :shrug:

rocketphish
Jun 2, 2014, 5:06 PM
There are far worse eyesores in his precious Beaverbrook than this proposal:

Kanata founder calls Beaverbrook proposal an 'eyesore'

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: May 30, 2014, Last Updated: June 2, 2014 8:16 AM EDT

The man who founded Kanata and designed its Beaverbrook community called a nine-storey building proposed for the area an “eyesore” and says he hopes to come up with something better.

Bill Teron said Friday he stepped forward to try to resolve the impasse between the man proposing the building and area residents, led by Kanata North Coun. Marianne Wilkinson.

Earlier this week, the city’s planning committee deferred a decision on a rezoning application for 1311 Teron Rd. in order to give Teron — yes, the road is named after him — two weeks to draw up a plan for the site that both sides can live with. The committee will revisit the issue at its June 10 meeting, with council making a final ruling the next day.

“When each party digs in their heels, they don’t meet. My challenge is to find a solution that the developer will like and the consumers will like,” Teron said.

“It’s not quite my promise yet, but I usually don’t like to fail.”

Teron said he’s already got some ideas, but was waiting to get his hands on the exact dimensions of the site to test out which one might work. If he comes up with something, he’ll present it to both Wilkinson and Phillip Bottriel, who owns the land.

Bottriel wants to put up a stepped, mid-rise building that transitions from three to nine storeys, and a three-storey apartment building, on two parcels of land wedged between Teron and March roads. The smaller piece of land is currently occupied by a single detached home; the other is undeveloped.

He opposed the committee’s decision to defer his rezoning application — a proposal city planners support.

Teron once owned all the land in what is now Kanata and later ran the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation. He designed and built Beaverbrook, which he called an “iconic example” of the garden city concept — where trees and nature are supposed to be the prime architecture and the buildings fade behind them.

Bottriel’s plan totally ignores that key principle, he says.

“His intrusion would violate the purity of Beaverbrook as an iconic garden city example, it would be an eyesore within the context of character and scale,” Teron said. “It’s totally insensitive.”

The alternative site plan he’s drawing up would still leave lots of room for Bottriel’s architect to choose materials, Teron said. He added he’s not a builder and no longer has any commercial stake in the area.

But, at 82 and still going strong — he now develops sustainability patents for builders around the world — Teron says he believes there is a middle ground and he hopes to find it.

“If one side is unhappy, there won’t be a marriage.”

mpearson@ottawacitizen.com
mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/kanata-founder-calls-beaverbrook-proposal-an-eyesore

rocketphish
Jun 2, 2014, 5:11 PM
...what about these beauties just down the street?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.328563,-75.898315,3a,15y,41.8h,89.02t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOQPmeygBlegKeAsOI_W__A!2e0?hl=en

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.331521,-75.904035,3a,75y,221.85h,89.17t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sX0OyNcIxBnTUx6f2OPe3zg!2e0?hl=en

I think old Bill Teron should just keep his mouth shut.

Cre47
Jun 10, 2014, 9:59 PM
Approved by planning committee

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/06/10/kanata-condos-get-planning-nod-despite-opposition

rocketphish
Jun 11, 2014, 12:57 AM
Proposed Kanata condo development returns to planning committee

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: June 10, 2014, Last Updated: June 10, 2014 8:26 PM EDT

A proposed nine-storey building in Kanata got the seal of approval Tuesday from the planning committee, which rejected Kanata founder Bill Teron’s unsolicited plan for the land.

The decision comes two weeks after the committee deferred a rezoning application in order to give Teron some time to draw up an alternative to what developer Phillip Bottriell is proposing.

Bottriell wants to build a stepped, mid-rise building at 1131 Teron Rd. that transitions from three to nine storeys, and a three-storey apartment building, on two parcels of land wedged between Teron and March roads.

The smaller piece of land is currently occupied by a single detached home; the other is undeveloped.

Bottriell initially wanted to build a 15-storey apartment building and six townhouses but altered his plan after city staff and residents alike gave it the thumbs-down.

Teron, who has called the Bottriell’s latest proposal an “eyesore,” instead proposed three- and four-storey buildings on essentially the same footprint, with a maximum of 90 units; Bottriell’s plan calls for 120 units.

His main argument against the developer’s plan stemmed from his belief that Bottriell’s building won’t sell well due to unit size, the quality of intensification and the high cost of building with concrete.

“If you want intensification on this site, you will not get it from this builder,” Teron said.

A former head of the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation, Teron also said it’s unlikely CMHC would insure building after completing some market analysis.

But Coun. Rainer Bloess reminded Teron that he doesn’t own the land and that it’s up to Bottriell to build what he think he can sell, so long as the builder has secured the necessary zoning.

Bottriell agreed, telling the committee that although he was sticking with his plan instead of Teron’s proposal, there were still a lot of details to pin down at the site plan stage.

He also agreed to increase the setback between his smaller building and neighbouring townhouses to 4.5 metres, which is less than the six metres required in the zoning rules but more than the 2.5 metres city staff were prepared to allow.

The Kanata Beaverbrook Community Association and a number of residents spoke against Bottriell’s plan. Many were concerned that the proposal doesn’t fit with Beaverbrook’s garden city character, which emphasizes trees and nature.

“All one has to do is take a walk in this community to see that this is so,” said resident Alan Coldham.

John Mlacak, former reeve of March Township, urged the committee to reject the application because, according to him, planning staff misinterpreted the rules.

“Your planners got it wrong; it’s up to you to get it right,” he said.

Council will decide on the matter on Wednesday.

mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/proposed-kanata-condo-development-returns-to-planning-committee

gjhall
Jun 11, 2014, 3:27 AM
[B]Proposed Kanata condo development returns to planning committee

A former head of the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation, Teron also said it’s unlikely CMHC would insure building after completing some market analysis.

mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/proposed-kanata-condo-development-returns-to-planning-committee

Well, CMHC is totally out of the condominium development insurance business, so....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/housing/cmhc-drops-mortgage-insurance-for-condo-developers/article19040448/

waterloowarrior
Jun 11, 2014, 3:54 PM
approved after a tweak to the setbacks.

Not sure why Mr. Teron went after the credibility of the developer.. It's not relevant to the process. We don't give better zoning to developers we like and less dense zoning to developers we aren't familiar with.

rocketphish
Jun 11, 2014, 11:08 PM
More buffer space OK'ed for Kanata development

By Jon Willing, Ottawa Sun
First posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 01:47 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 01:51 PM EDT

Kanata North Coun. Marianne Wilkinson won council's support Wednesday to increase the building setback for a controversial condo development in her ward.

The landowner at 1131 Teron Rd., near March Rd., wants to build a 120-unit complex with 3-9 storeys.

Wilkinson convinced council to make sure the setback from Teron Rd. is six metres, rather than 3-5 metres.

Neighbours are worried the building won't fit in with the Beaverbrook community.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/06/11/more-buffer-space-oked-for-kanata-development

Proof Sheet
Apr 24, 2015, 2:34 AM
More buffer space OK'ed for Kanata development

By Jon Willing, Ottawa Sun
First posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 01:47 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 01:51 PM EDT

Kanata North Coun. Marianne Wilkinson won council's support Wednesday to increase the building setback for a controversial condo development in her ward.

The landowner at 1131 Teron Rd., near March Rd., wants to build a 120-unit complex with 3-9 storeys.

Wilkinson convinced council to make sure the setback from Teron Rd. is six metres, rather than 3-5 metres.

Neighbours are worried the building won't fit in with the Beaverbrook community.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/06/11/more-buffer-space-oked-for-kanata-development

This developer has the patience of a saint. Wilkinson comes across as pretty devious in all of this...when will her stint as a councillor be up.
http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/5570312-developer-pushed-three-metres-too-far/

Love the quote

'The Kanata Beaverbrook Community Association’s president, Neil Thomson, said the community is characterized by large setbacks on buildings, emphasizing nature over structures.

“This is Beaverbrook,” he said. “We don’t do street presence.”

Obviously he hasn't been brought up to speed on current planning philosophies.

What a complete mess this application and the other one on Teron have been..

waterloowarrior
Apr 24, 2015, 2:25 PM
Nice find.. Beaverbrook seems to be a goldmine for anti-extremification quotes

MoreTrains
Apr 24, 2015, 2:27 PM
Nice find.. Beaverbrook seems to be a goldmine for anti-extremification quotes

Because we need another Glebe... yeesh :yuck:

waterloowarrior
Apr 24, 2015, 2:35 PM
If the proposed Planning Act reforms go through, the developer would need Council's permission to apply for a variance if it was within two years of their zoning amendment. That would have been a fun meeting. :bash:

1overcosc
Apr 24, 2015, 3:20 PM
This developer has the patience of a saint. Wilkinson comes across as pretty devious in all of this...when will her stint as a councillor be up.
http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/5570312-developer-pushed-three-metres-too-far/

Wilkinson is one of the greatest assets on council. If it weren't for her age I'd say she's make a great candidate for mayor someday.

She's really good at the art of shutting up her NIMBYs, and is also one of the best champions of transit & pedestrian/cyclist issues on council (quite ironic considering that she represents what is probably the most car-centric of the non-rural wards).

Proof Sheet
Apr 24, 2015, 5:04 PM
Wilkinson is one of the greatest assets on council. If it weren't for her age I'd say she's make a great candidate for mayor someday.

She's really good at the art of shutting up her NIMBYs, and is also one of the best champions of transit & pedestrian/cyclist issues on council (quite ironic considering that she represents what is probably the most car-centric of the non-rural wards).

I"ll disagree with you on that one. I find her to be inconsistent and the current level of detail in planning matters is not her forte. When she said she was only going to run one more time, she got in, and then trotted out the old chestnut 'the people have spoken and they want me to run again' line when the next election came along. After that I lost all respect for her.

That area of the City needs some new leadership.

If I were the developer she wouldn't be at the ribbon cutting/ceremonial shovel turning.

Proof Sheet
Apr 24, 2015, 5:05 PM
If the proposed Planning Act reforms go through, the developer would need Council's permission to apply for a variance if it was within two years of their zoning amendment. That would have been a fun meeting. :bash:

Within 2 years of a site specific zoning amendment or within 2 years of a city wide new Zoning By-law being enacted.?

waterloowarrior
Apr 24, 2015, 8:23 PM
Within 2 years of a site specific zoning amendment or within 2 years of a city wide new Zoning By-law being enacted.?

In this case, the former would apply

http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bills_detail.do?locale=en&BillID=3176&detailPage=bills_detail_the_bill

When subs. (1.3) applies
(1.2) Subsection (1.3) applies when a by-law is amended in response to an application by the owner of any land, building or structure affected by the by-law, or in response to an application by a person authorized in writing by the owner.

Two-year period, no application for minor variance
(1.3) No person shall apply for a minor variance from the provisions of the by-law in respect of the land, building or structure before the second anniversary of the day on which the by-law was amended, unless the council has declared by resolution that the application for the minor variance is permitted.

rocketphish
Feb 20, 2016, 6:39 PM
Reposting missing imagery:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1660/25126065686_44d2a62b27_o.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1543/24525561703_605e755d7a_o.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1468/24521731524_144d1e1dd1_o.jpg

rocketphish
Feb 20, 2016, 6:41 PM
±3.65 acres of Kanata Development Land for sale
1131 Teron Road, Kanata
Preliminary Site Plan Approval for a 112 unit residential complex
Asking Price: $2,900,000

http://www.primecorp.ca/listings/commercial/kanata-development-land

Proof Sheet
Feb 20, 2016, 9:27 PM
±3.65 acres of Kanata Development Land for sale
1131 Teron Road, Kanata
Preliminary Site Plan Approval for a 112 unit residential complex
Asking Price: $2,900,000

http://www.primecorp.ca/listings/commercial/kanata-development-land

The developer probably got tired of dealing with the Community Association and the Councillor and their desire to protect the heritage setbacks.

Arcologist
May 24, 2016, 3:03 PM
NIMBYism at its best!

I actually really like this proposal, and believe it would certainly spruce up that end of Teron. As it stands now, it's just scrub brush and hydro lines...

9-storeys would create a great "gateway" building for Teron, similar to the 12-storey Kanata Atriums building at the other end of Teron.

Anyways, sad that a community association has that much power, especially when they generally represent the views of fewer than 10% of residents (the active NIMBYist type!)

Arcologist
May 24, 2016, 3:05 PM
Asking price is now $2.5M

rocketphish
Dec 6, 2019, 6:29 PM
Resubmission... Goodbye fancy park. Hello huge parking lot!

Development application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__BOFGZD

Architect: NEUF Architects

The property owner is proposing to develop the subject lands with two (2) buildings: a three (3) storey low-rise apartment building in the southern corner of the subject lands, and a nine (9) storey mid-rise, mixed-use apartment building with ground floor commercial uses. The subject lands will be developed in two (2) phases, as follows:

Phase 1: 1131 Teron Road

https://i.imgur.com/UdXDIwK.png

https://i.imgur.com/kPG0rzb.png

https://i.imgur.com/QXd9s5J.png

Phase 1 involves the demolition of the existing one (1) storey dwelling and the development of a three (3) storey apartment building containing 30 dwelling units on the rectangular parcel known municipally as 1131 Teron Road.

A temporary surface parking lot containing 36 parking spaces will be located slightly to the north of the proposed three (3) storey building, on the parcel known as 1151 Teron Road. The proposed parking satisfies the Zoning By-law’s minimum resident and visitor parking rate provisions for Phase I of the proposed development. The proposed development will also include six (6) visitor parking spaces, all of which will be located to the north of the building, in close proximity to its entrances. All parking for the proposed development will be accessed via an access road connecting the subject lands to Teron Road and March Road.

Bicycle parking and communal amenity areas are proposed to be located at the rear of the proposed low-rise apartment building.

Phase 2: 1151 Teron Road

https://i.imgur.com/1JYhzFG.png

https://i.imgur.com/jhza1ts.png

Phase 2 will involve the development of the parcel known as 1151 Teron Road with a nine (9) storey, mid-rise, mixed-use building with ground floor commercial uses and apartment dwelling units on the upper floors. The total Gross Floor Area of the ground floor commercial uses is proposed to be approximately 904 square metres; while 109 dwelling units are proposed.

Parking for the proposed development will be provided in the form of an underground parking garage with 46 spaces and a surface parking lot between the proposed building and March Road to the northeast; in total, 229 parking spaces will be provided on the subject lands. 36 of the outdoor parking spaces will be reserved for residents of the low-rise apartment building developed at 1131 Teron Road as part of Phase 1. The surface parking lot is largely located under the existing hydro corridor, which significantly limits the buildable envelope of the subject lands. The parking lot includes opportunities for internal and perimeter landscaping to screen the parking area.

A loading/delivery zone is located at the western edge of the proposed building and will serve all of the ground floor commercial units.

SkeggsEggs
Dec 6, 2019, 8:28 PM
Resubmission... Goodbye fancy park. Hello huge parking lot!

Lmao, a true NIMBY success story! :haha:

Arcologist
Dec 9, 2019, 8:19 PM
How is this better than what was proposed before?!?

Man this city has a real problem... :shrug::koko::yuck::hell:

Multi-modal
Dec 9, 2019, 8:26 PM
How is this better than what was proposed before?!?

Man this city has a real problem... :shrug::koko::yuck::hell:

This is one reason why NIMBYs fight this stuff - its always proposed by Developer A with a beautiful common space / park and beautiful architecture so it will get approved, then Developer A makes a profit by flipping the approved development to Developer B. Developer B removes everything that made the development nice to maximize profit. Voila!

J.OT13
Oct 8, 2020, 3:50 PM
Approved. architecture looks decent, but that parking lot! The City needs to start restricting surface parking.

Kate Porter
@KatePorterCBC

At planning committee today, councillors OK'd a nine-storey residential building at Teron and March roads in #Kanata. (Nine storeys were already allowed there)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ejz9B6lUwAYlaNQ?format=jpg&name=small

9:58 AM · Oct 8, 2020·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/KatePorterCBC/status/1314203555830681600

waterloowarrior
Jan 11, 2021, 7:00 PM
1131-1151 Teron Road was purchased
by 2772133 Ontario Inc. (Manor Park
Management Inc.) from 11021028
Canada Inc. and 11073656 Canada Inc.
for $3,925,000 or $24.60 per square
foot. It is zone Residential Fifth Density
and Parks and Open Space.

http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/newsletters/2020/November-2020-Newsletter-September-Sales.pdf

rocketphish
May 22, 2021, 3:01 AM
Manor Park Management is proposing to develop the subject lands with two (2) residential buildings: a nine (9) storey, mid-rise apartment building on the larger, triangle-shaped parcel known as 1151 Teron Road and a three (3) storey low-rise apartment building on the smaller, rectangle parcel known as 1131 Teron Road. A total of 134 dwelling units are proposed, divided as follows:

The nine (9) storey apartment building will contain 116 dwelling units:

28 one (1) bedroom units;
40 one (1) bedroom + den units;
36 two (2) bedroom units;
11 two (2) bedroom + den units; and,
One (1) three (3) bedroom unit.

The three (3) storey apartment building will contain 18 dwelling units:

One (1) one (1) bedroom unit;
Seven (7) one (1) bedroom + den units;
Five (5) two (2) bedroom units; and,
Five (5) two (2) bedroom + den units.

Full-movement vehicular access to both residential buildings will be provided via a driveway connection to Teron Road. Unlike the previous mixed-use version of the project, access to March Road is no longer contemplated. March Road access was mainly requested for the benefit of the at-grade commercial uses. As discussed in the Parsons Transportation Study, the Teron Road access is sufficient for the projected vehicle volumes and movements of the residential project.

Parking for the proposed development is proposed to be provided in the form of a mix of surface parking (99 spaces) within the area of the Hydro corridor adjacent to the proposed nine (9) storey building and an underground parking garage (100 spaces), accessible via a ramp adjacent to the three (3) storey building. A total of 199 parking spaces will be provided, 172 of which will be for residents and 27 of which will be for visitors.

The underground parking garage will also provide secure bicycle parking spaces for the proposed development’s residents. Additional bicycle parking spaces will be located outdoors, near the entrances to both buildings.

Additional, passive at-grade communal recreational space will be provided on the north portion of the subject lands between the parking lot and March Road, in the form of soft landscaping and a pathway connecting to an existing pedestrian pathway east of the subject lands.

The following is a summary of the most significant revisions to the proposed development and associated plans:

The massing of the nine (9) storey building has been revised, simplified and scaled back along Teron Road and the previously-approved staggered floorplate sizes have been normalized for better unit layouts. The building steps back after the ground floor to the seventh storey, followed by a further step-back at the ninth storey. The nine (9) storey building continues to comply with the permitted building height measured in metres on Schedule 327 of the Zoning By-law, which establishes the permitted building form on the subject lands. The three (3) storey building is also in compliance with Schedule 327 of the Zoning By-law.
Ground floor commercial uses are no longer proposed as part of the nine (9) storey building. As a result, the proposed development will be exclusively residential, with at-grade, street-fronting units.
Vehicle access to and from March Road is no longer proposed. As a result, vehicular access to the proposed development will be exclusively via Teron Road. The March Road access was mainly requested for the benefit of the at-grade commercial uses.
The removal of previously proposed visitor spaces adjacent to the low-rise apartment building will result in a longer, uninterrupted driveway throat length.
From a timing perspective, the proposed development is to be built out in one (1) phase, whereas the subject lands were previously proposed to be developed in two (2) phases.
The previously proposed unit count was 139 total dwelling units, whereas the revised unit count will consist of 134 dwelling units, as a result of additional larger units.
Due to the slight reduction in dwelling units and the elimination of ground floor commercial uses, the required minimum vehicle parking is now much lower. Combined with a larger underground parking garage than was previously proposed, the proposed surface parking will be reduced from 183 spaces to 99 spaces. The reduction of surface parking allows for more landscaped areas along March Road.
The ramp to the parking garage is proposed to be located to the rear of the low-rise building at 1131 Teron Road, whereas it was previously proposed to be located at the base of the mid-rise building at 1151 Teron Road. The revised ramp location contributes to a more efficient below-grade parking layout.

Architect: Project1 Studio

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applications/D07-12-19-0187/details

Siteplan:

https://i.imgur.com/3SMKJRg.png

Renderings:

https://i.imgur.com/FO2U2KK.png

https://i.imgur.com/Wph4oW6.png

https://i.imgur.com/lnrkS9v.png

https://i.imgur.com/1HBxRW8.png

https://i.imgur.com/h4UazdI.png

https://i.imgur.com/brQ2yT7.png

https://i.imgur.com/4BkTWIJ.png

Harley613
May 22, 2021, 3:02 AM
Is there a charcoal brick factory in Ottawa with a permanent 2 for 1 sale or something?!

Proof Sheet
May 22, 2021, 11:51 AM
Is there a charcoal brick factory in Ottawa with a permanent 2 for 1 sale or something?!

The architect in question likes charcoal brick I believe. It isn't designed by the architect that this forum loves to hate.

Marshsparrow
May 22, 2021, 12:18 PM
This is a really awkward piece of real estate - I don't mind it... however, cue the Beaverbrook pitchfork gang, they're known to resist anything...

Norman Bates
May 22, 2021, 8:52 PM
Bonus points for including the hydro towers and lines in the illustrations.

J.OT13
May 23, 2021, 12:03 AM
Looks decent. Pop of colour. Again with the surface parking. Should be banned or taxed profusely.

I don't get the obsession with black and/or charcoal brick. We should be doing what we can to reduce the heat island effect, not raise it.

roger1818
May 23, 2021, 11:44 PM
Approved. architecture looks decent, but that parking lot! The City needs to start restricting surface parking.

https://twitter.com/KatePorterCBC/status/1314203555830681600

It isn't clear in the rendering you posted (though the newer ones show them), but that parking lot is under high tension power lines. I don't think they can build anything under those, so about the only other option would be greenspace.

I am very familiar with that area as I lived very near there during one of my co-op work terms in a previous life, and would walk across that field to my work at BNR's Kanata facility on what was called Richardson Side Rd. at the time.

J.OT13
May 25, 2021, 12:30 AM
I guess that helps digesting the parking situation. Thanks!

roger1818
May 25, 2021, 2:32 PM
I guess that helps digesting the parking situation. Thanks!

It would be nice if they put in underground parking and then had a park on the surface, but that would be very expensive and it would still act as a barrier for ground water infiltration (though some of the water would be absorbed by the thin layer of earth).

Overall it looks like a good use for a difficult piece of property to develop. I am glad they have removed the entrance on March Rd. that was originally planned (even if it was right in, right out) as its best to minimize intersections on major arterials (keep your roads as roads and your streets as streets and stop making stroads).

TransitZilla
May 25, 2021, 3:13 PM
This project is a good example of why I think it makes no sense that the Kanata North Transitway is planned to use March Rd to bypass Beaverbrook.

Teron Rd is where the residents are, and there is more potential for midrise infill like this one. That's where the transit should continue to be. I think there are opportunities for transit priority along the Teron Rd corridor, and the city should be exploring those.

roger1818
May 25, 2021, 9:31 PM
This project is a good example of why I think it makes no sense that the Kanata North Transitway is planned to use March Rd to bypass Beaverbrook.

Teron Rd is where the residents are, and there is more potential for midrise infill like this one. That's where the transit should continue to be. I think there are opportunities for transit priority along the Teron Rd corridor, and the city should be exploring those.

Probably the wrong thread to discuss this, but while I see where you are coming from, I am not convinced. Having the busway on Teron would slow down the buses going to South March (which includes the Kanata North Business Park) with all the extra stops that would result.

Besides, Beaverbrook is a post war, 20th century, car dependant suburb. The only density on it currently is within a short walk of the proposed, stage 3 Eagleson station and this new development will be near the intersection of Teron and March Rd, which presumably will have a busway station.

By all means have buses run along Teron, but I don't see the benefit of relocating the busway to it.

SL123
Sep 25, 2022, 4:43 PM
The site is being excavated right now

Wilson1474
Sep 30, 2022, 9:59 PM
This has strong vibes of 263 Greenaway in Vanier.
Interesting enough it's the same general contractor as well.

Ottawacurious
Jan 4, 2023, 10:35 AM
Foundations in. Crane is up.

J.OT13
Jan 4, 2023, 1:26 PM
Original proposal vs. what will be built, site plan edition.

Reposting missing imagery:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1543/24525561703_605e755d7a_o.jpg

Siteplan:

https://i.imgur.com/3SMKJRg.png

Ottawacurious
Jan 5, 2023, 12:08 AM
Yeah, saw this. What can be done to not have this sort of thing happen?

Ottawacurious
Jan 23, 2023, 12:44 AM
At grade.

roger1818
Feb 2, 2023, 7:48 PM
While I hate to see all that surface parking, given that March Rd is an 80 km/h highway, it isn't as much of a loss as it seems (the park wouldn't have been used all that much).

Ottawacurious
Apr 24, 2023, 2:06 AM
A couple stories tall.

roger1818
Apr 27, 2023, 2:52 AM
A couple stories tall.

Huh? There aren't any 2 story buildings in this project.

rocketphish
Apr 27, 2023, 1:18 PM
Huh? There aren't any 2 story buildings in this project.

I'm pretty sure that's a construction progress report.

roger1818
Apr 30, 2023, 10:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that's a construction progress report.

Thanks. That makes more sense.

Ottawacurious
May 1, 2023, 12:12 AM
Apologies, will be more clear next time. They are working on the third storey now.

Wilson1474
Jun 6, 2023, 9:47 PM
Just did the masonry mock up on Friday.
Waiting on approval for mortar color.And we will be getting started on the exterior very soon.
It will be small brownish brick, with Ariscraft Blizzard brick accents.

J.OT13
Jun 6, 2023, 10:52 PM
Just did the masonry mock up on Friday.
Waiting on approval for mortar color.And we will be getting started on the exterior very soon.
It will be small brownish brick, with Ariscraft Blizzard brick accents.

Thanks for the update. Glad it won't be charcoal.

That said, what the heck happened to the proposed park, and why is it all parking now?

skyscraperaccount
Jun 21, 2023, 12:07 AM
They are at the 7th floor now.

Ottawacurious
Jul 24, 2023, 9:35 PM
Maybe topped out now?
The row townhouses are also up.

Ottawacurious
Aug 8, 2023, 9:51 PM
Topped out. Windows will start going in soon if not already. Starting to smooth out the landscaping in the back for the extensive parking :S The pointy end looks cool...all other angles...meh! The pointy end is the far lwft in this picture...but the pointy end isn't shown. Will try get a photo of that next time :)

Townhouses aren't my favourite...but functional. Will try post pics from my mobile next....
now...just need to resize them...

Ottawacurious
Aug 8, 2023, 9:57 PM
https://i.imgur.com/8DRUs9wh.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/8DRUs9w.jpg)

https://i.imgur.com/u1I5s5oh.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/u1I5s5o.jpg)

roger1818
Aug 9, 2023, 4:32 AM
Will try post pics from my mobile next....
now...just need to resize them...

Hint: When using imgur to host the pictures, if you add an “h” to the end of the filename (before the extension), it will display the picture in a good size for the forum. I think that’s what rocketphish did for you above. I know it’s a lot to learn.

skyscraperaccount
Aug 9, 2023, 10:15 AM
Haven't seen any news on the city doing something about the absolute flustercuck that is Stacie/Teron/March in the mornings when you have beaverbrook all trying to leave Stacie to Teron to March south. This development is going to make it that much more busy at this intersection where all of Beaverbrook is blocked by a stop sign and a line of traffic on Teron that blocks the intersection.

Hope to see signals at Stacie/Teron put in or open up the access between Steacie and March beside innovopost.

In addition to this development we have a potential decent sized apt just off Teron on Varley and proposed office space at Teron/March.

Anyone have insight into the city's plans to fix traffic in this area?

GeoNerd
Sep 25, 2023, 3:41 AM
Today.

https://i.postimg.cc/KvnhFVpt/IMG-5749.jpg

Ottawacurious
Dec 4, 2023, 12:14 AM
Taken today

https://i.imgur.com/gahv3jdh.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/gahv3jd.jpeg

Ottawacurious
Mar 30, 2024, 7:50 PM
Might be able to rename the thread. "The Point"
https://www.thepointkanata.ca/

Harley613
Mar 30, 2024, 8:00 PM
Might be able to rename the thread. "The Point"
https://www.thepointkanata.ca/

Changed on Skyrise Ottawa. Website confirms the colour features are cancelled and this one has experienced full Ottawafication.