PDA

View Full Version : Avenue West End Calgary

vinny28
Oct 17, 2013, 3:21 PM
http://www.cressey.com/images/made/images/uploads/projects/avenue/06_27_08_Avenue_rendering_FINAL_resized_747_560.jpg

Pre sales have been going on for a month now.. has anyone taken a look at this condo? Thoughts?

RicoLance21
Oct 17, 2013, 3:23 PM
...and the location?

Spring2008
Oct 17, 2013, 3:26 PM
^That looks like an older rendering. Looks like sales open to the public Nov 2nd:

http://www.avenuewestend.com/

Chadillaccc
Oct 17, 2013, 3:45 PM
Looks great!

vinny28
Oct 17, 2013, 3:47 PM
...and the location?

Just slightly north of river west.. 5th ave 10th Street SW

Just Build It
Oct 17, 2013, 3:48 PM
^That looks like an older rendering. Looks like sales open to the public Nov 2nd:

http://www.avenuewestend.com/

I think that's the current rendering. I drove past the sales centre the other day, and they had a pic of the rendering shown above.

kw5150
Oct 17, 2013, 4:17 PM
They claim that the immediate neighborhood has a "very urban character".....Are they adding any retail? There is nothing to do around the west end and there are only a couple crappy retail bays and parking lots. I suppose it has been improving a bit lately, but I would never choose to live right there at this point.

Surrealplaces
Oct 17, 2013, 4:29 PM
Mewata Station is a decent little strip, but yeah, more retail is needed. That area has good potential.

They claim that the immediate neighborhood has a "very urban character".....Are they adding any retail? There is nothing to do around the west end and there are only a couple crappy retail bays and parking lots. I suppose it has been improving a bit lately, but I would never choose to live right there at this point.

Wooster
Oct 17, 2013, 5:17 PM
There's a corner retail bay at 10th Street/ 5th on this project - adding to the little strip of retail along 10th.

I think of this area as more a high density blob served by the kensington retail area, than its own destination.

I think the build out of the lands between 8th and 9th and a few of the remaining lots will make this area feel a lot nicer.

Deepstar
Oct 17, 2013, 5:24 PM
That will help liven up a bit, but I tend to agree with you in that, it's not going to be it's own destination area, when Kensington is just a short walk across the bridge.

There's a corner retail bay at 10th Street/ 5th on this project - adding to the little strip of retail along 10th.

I think of this area as more a high density blob served by the kensington retail area, than its own destination.

I think the build out of the lands between 8th and 9th and a few of the remaining lots will make this area feel a lot nicer.

RyLucky
Oct 17, 2013, 5:24 PM

More development ought to help that.

Partly because of the building styles, partly because of the emergence of the west end out of nothingness, this area reminds me a bit of Van's Yaletown. Once the remainder of the parking lots become 30-storey condos and offices, I think we will see more retail and community fabric.

Chadillaccc
Oct 17, 2013, 5:28 PM
The West End certainly has potential.

kw5150
Oct 17, 2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks, glad there is retail there. One or two more people on the street.

MasterG
Oct 17, 2013, 10:51 PM
More development ought to help that.

Partly because of the building styles, partly because of the emergence of the west end out of nothingness, this area reminds me a bit of Van's Yaletown. Once the remainder of the parking lots become 30-storey condos and offices, I think we will see more retail and community fabric.

I think the other draws are too close, Beltline, Kensington. Some retail will develop for sure, but they aren't going to compete with Kensington a couple hundred metres away. I think Yaletown suffers from this as well, its has high density by low pedestrian traffic. That is all gobbled up by more active high streets nearby.

artvandelay
Oct 17, 2013, 10:57 PM
It's tough to add new retail to that area when many of the existing retail bays in the area are sitting vacant or are under-leased.

The streetfront design of many of the ugly late 90s/early 2000s condos also leave much to be desired. Avenue isn't fantastic but it should be a solid addition to the area.

Policy Wonk
Oct 18, 2013, 12:13 AM
As long as the retail component of condo developments is essentially a sidewalk facing strip mall Subway franchises, sketchy nail salons and of course my favourite, stores selling mostly rhinestone encrusted iPhone cases is just about all you can reasonably expect.

I have a list in front of me of the urban site selection criteria for a UK retailer, I can only think of a single development in the city that would meet more than half of them.

Hint: It's Keynote

Spring2008
Oct 18, 2013, 2:48 AM
I think that's the current rendering. I drove past the sales centre the other day, and they had a pic of the rendering shown above.

You mean the one on on the website, right? Looks more modern than the old rendering the original poster used, with more white spandrel as well. Still a filler, but not bad for the weaker west-end.

I like how there seems to be more architectural variety and incorporating more variations in colors in Calgary compared to other cities in Canada. Van and T.O. have the best individual designs, but sometimes it seems like there are so many bland, similar looking blue and green glass towers. Pretty uninspiring.

Full Mountain
Oct 18, 2013, 7:27 PM
You mean the one on on the website, right? Looks more modern than the old rendering the original poster used, with more white spandrel as well. Still a filler, but not bad for the weaker west-end.

I like how there seems to be more architectural variety and incorporating more variations in colors in Calgary compared to other cities in Canada. Van and T.O. have the best individual designs, but sometimes it seems like there are so many bland, similar looking blue and green glass towers. Pretty uninspiring.

The one on the website looks like a waterfront clone, the variety in Calgary has to do with age, towers of a similar age have similar looks (Waterfront, Avenue, etc.)

stophs
Oct 18, 2013, 9:19 PM
It's tough to add new retail to that area when many of the existing retail bays in the area are sitting vacant or are under-leased.

The streetfront design of many of the ugly late 90s/early 2000s condos also leave much to be desired. Avenue isn't fantastic but it should be a solid addition to the area.

The last time I was through the area (a few weeks back) all retail units on 6th Ave were occupied. I know there was a time when a number of them were vacant, but I imagine the rental rates and dropped and eventually it made enough sense for a few destination time companies to move-in (law firm).

To me, the inner-city retail market is far too fragmented - you have a few blocks with a few shops, then it disappears, then starts again. It's not convenient for people that want to walk and shop, which means fewer people are out on the streets and this hurts retailers that in turn aren't able to sell enough to cover their overhead.

I think Calgary could do with a significant increase in retail to make better connections with the fragmented small strips. If that happens, I think you would end up seeing a lot of the shops you see in places like Chinook and Market Mall want to have a street retail presence in the inner city.

O-tacular
Oct 18, 2013, 9:55 PM
As long as the retail component of condo developments is essentially a sidewalk facing strip mall Subway franchises, sketchy nail salons and of course my favourite, stores selling mostly rhinestone encrusted iPhone cases is just about all you can reasonably expect.

I have a list in front of me of the urban site selection criteria for a UK retailer, I can only think of a single development in the city that would meet more than half of them.

Hint: It's Keynote

:haha: You'd think the West end would have reached its saturation point for these types of businesses by now? Reminds me of that joke by Lewis Black about the Starbucks across the street from another Starbucks.

RyLucky
Oct 18, 2013, 10:08 PM
The last time I was through the area (a few weeks back) all retail units on 6th Ave were occupied. I know there was a time when a number of them were vacant, but I imagine the rental rates and dropped and eventually it made enough sense for a few destination time companies to move-in (law firm).

To me, the inner-city retail market is far too fragmented - you have a few blocks with a few shops, then it disappears, then starts again. It's not convenient for people that want to walk and shop, which means fewer people are out on the streets and this hurts retailers that in turn aren't able to sell enough to cover their overhead.

I think Calgary could do with a significant increase in retail to make better connections with the fragmented small strips. If that happens, I think you would end up seeing a lot of the shops you see in places like Chinook and Market Mall want to have a street retail presence in the inner city.

The key I think is a matter of (1) population and (2) essential goods. We can't just build retail and expect it to be successful. Retail should be built to serve a community, and there has to be a large enough local (pedestrian) population to keep businesses afloat. If there aren't enough people in the immediate area, limited-parking retail won't work. At the same time, it's important that people who live in the immediate area are not forced to look elsewhere for things like groceries, household items, and prescriptions. If they have to leave the neighbourhood for necessities, there is a high chance they will buy other goods away from their neighbourhood as well.

I've often wondered if some kind of tax break or incentive could be used to open more grocery stores and mom-and-pop drug stores, seeing as these businesses benefit other local businesses and promote pedestrian lifestyle (reduce congestion, strain on health care, etc). Better yet, bonus density or something could be given to developers who guarantee retail space for essential goods.

On a final note, downtown retailers could really benefit from attracting more parents. This is a real challenge, and I'm not sure the best way to solve it. More 4-room apartments? More greenspace and safer image? Developing adult consumer patterns independently of family goods? Position retail on arterial roads (RioCan, Macleod trail/First South/Curtis Block)? Better funding for inner-city schools? I don't know... it's a pickle.

MasterG
Oct 19, 2013, 12:04 AM
The key I think is a matter of (1) population and (2) essential goods. We can't just build retail and expect it to be successful. Retail should be built to serve a community, and there has to be a large enough local (pedestrian) population to keep businesses afloat. If there aren't enough people in the immediate area, limited-parking retail won't work. At the same time, it's important that people who live in the immediate area are not forced to look elsewhere for things like groceries, household items, and prescriptions. If they have to leave the neighbourhood for necessities, there is a high chance they will buy other goods away from their neighbourhood as well.

I've often wondered if some kind of tax break or incentive could be used to open more grocery stores and mom-and-pop drug stores, seeing as these businesses benefit other local businesses and promote pedestrian lifestyle (reduce congestion, strain on health care, etc). Better yet, bonus density or something could be given to developers who guarantee retail space for essential goods.

On a final note, downtown retailers could really benefit from attracting more parents. This is a real challenge, and I'm not sure the best way to solve it. More 4-room apartments? More greenspace and safer image? Developing adult consumer patterns independently of family goods? Position retail on arterial roads (RioCan, Macleod trail/First South/Curtis Block)? Better funding for inner-city schools? I don't know... it's a pickle.

Doesn't Vancouver already require or incentivize ground-level retail in many corridors? I heard that cause all sorts of unexpected behaviour as their condo-fueled boom created a ridiculous amount of retail units. However, I would definitely be open to a lighter regulatory touch for retail units in yyc. I would thing almost all uses should be allowed on many streets that there currently are none. A good example would be 5th Street 9th to 17th ave. heavy, heavy pedestrian coorridor, but only has retail on a few corners. I suspect it was a product of its time, as most buildings were built in the 1980s or earlier, but even newer ones (i think its called Xenex condos? has that office building built with it) should have been heavily encouraged to make retail provisions on the main floor. Now another 50 years will go by before that building comes down and something more than a blank wall replaces it.

Policy Wonk
Oct 19, 2013, 12:18 AM
I think building more of the same is just utterly pointless, crap retail detracts from an area rather than adding to it. It isn't entirely a matter of population, most of these retail bays just plain suck.

Do something like Emerald Park in North York, or just don't bother at all.
http://www.thegalleriaatemeraldpark.com/pdf/brochure.pdf

Spring2008
Oct 19, 2013, 4:08 PM
The one on the website looks like a waterfront clone, the variety in Calgary has to do with age, towers of a similar age have similar looks (Waterfront, Avenue, etc.)

Waterfront and Avenue are similar in general, but I don't agree with the rest. I think there's a lot of variety within the newer product in terms of massing and color.

Mark on 10th vs Guardian vs Calla vs Verve vs First vs 6th on 10th vs Alura vs Keynote vs Arriva vs Evolution vs Telus Sky vs Le Germain etc.

Full Mountain
Oct 20, 2013, 2:20 AM
Waterfront and Avenue are similar in general, but I don't agree with the rest. I think there's a lot of variety within the newer product in terms of massing and color.

Mark on 10th vs Guardian vs Calla vs Verve vs First vs 6th on 10th vs Alura vs Keynote vs Arriva vs Evolution vs Telus Sky vs Le Germain etc.

I would argue Calla falls in a similar vein as Waterfront and Avenue, though not as directly similar. The rest I'll give you have significantly less commonality across them, and some with significant deviations Telus Sky, Le Germain, and 6th & 10th.

kw5150
Oct 20, 2013, 3:18 AM
Adding 400 people to the streets......and then another 500 somewhere else, then adding 1000 will always necessitate more retail. Sometimes these retail bay s are dormant for a while.....but soon there is always a need for them. Plan for them now.

There will always be a few empty retail bays somewhere.

craner
Nov 19, 2013, 3:41 PM
Really not excited about this project at all.:(

vinny28
Nov 20, 2013, 6:10 AM
Really not excited about this project at all.:(

Why not...awesome location close to the river which leads you to eau claire and East Village...Right across from Kensington...2 blocks from C train and short distance to 17th ave.

Public transportation and river are what of value to most people. I see this project $$$$

craner
Nov 22, 2013, 7:32 PM
Why not...awesome location close to the river which leads you to eau claire and East Village...Right across from Kensington...2 blocks from C train and short distance to 17th ave.

Public transportation and river are what of value to most people. I see this project $$$$

I agree with all that, and I'm glad another surface lot is getting built upon. It's just nothing about the design of this project excites me. Perhaps if there wasn't so many other projects & potential projects happening I might be more excited about Avenue.

Tropics
Nov 22, 2013, 8:55 PM
I agree with all that, and I'm glad another surface lot is getting built upon. It's just nothing about the design of this project excites me. Perhaps if there wasn't so many other projects & potential projects happening I might be more excited about Avenue.

All of the great inner city areas have signature streets. Inglewood has 9th, Bridgeland's 1st ave is shifting nicely towards being a cool retail hub and has Edmonton trail, Eau Claire is going to be the nuts when they get their new development, Lower Mount Royal and the Beltline has 17th ave and a rapidly improving 1st street, Mission has 4th street.

The West end has not a single retail corridor at all that do not require crossing the Bow River. Kensington is great but it is not close enough to truly be considered as part of the West End community. The West End needs to develop their own cool and trendy retail corridor before it will start to come into it's own.

That is the main problem the West End has and why it is struggling to keep up with the other areas I mentioned above. People who decide to live in an urban high density area of a city want the benefits and perks that those places tend to offer. Most of the urban areas of Calgary that are doing great and are extremely popular have really cool areas associated with them and awesome retail options right outside people's doors. Great cafes and restaurants, some trendy shopping options, interesting streets to walk along and window shop or people watch. The West End has none of that, it has no life atm.

MasterG
Nov 22, 2013, 9:12 PM

I would agree. It could use some colour, but otherwise is a simple, clean and modern addition to the skyline. Nothing outstanding but certainly not offensive. And an excellent boost in density which is perfect.

I would love to see a bit development towards 9th ave and the tracks. It would link the West End with the vibrant node around the Co-op on 10th ave. All in good time :tup:

DizzyEdge
Nov 22, 2013, 9:50 PM
All of the great inner city areas have signature streets. Inglewood has 9th, Bridgeland's 1st ave is shifting nicely towards being a cool retail hub and has Edmonton trail, Eau Claire is going to be the nuts when they get their new development, Lower Mount Royal and the Beltline has 17th ave and a rapidly improving 1st street, Mission has 4th street.

The West end has not a single retail corridor at all that do not require crossing the Bow River. Kensington is great but it is not close enough to truly be considered as part of the West End community. The West End needs to develop their own cool and trendy retail corridor before it will start to come into it's own.

That is the main problem the West End has and why it is struggling to keep up with the other areas I mentioned above. People who decide to live in an urban high density area of a city want the benefits and perks that those places tend to offer. Most of the urban areas of Calgary that are doing great and are extremely popular have really cool areas associated with them and awesome retail options right outside people's doors. Great cafes and restaurants, some trendy shopping options, interesting streets to walk along and window shop or people watch. The West End has none of that, it has no life atm.

Seems one of the easiest/logical things to do would be the redevelop the large parking lots along the last 3 blocks of 8th avenue into Stephen Ave style smaller retail. (smaller width bays, not saying the buildings themselves have to be small, can be base of large condos/office.) That way they get their own part of Stephen Avenue.

lespoir
Nov 23, 2013, 1:37 AM
Such a mediocre project...

Tropics
Nov 23, 2013, 5:22 AM
Seems one of the easiest/logical things to do would be the redevelop the large parking lots along the last 3 blocks of 8th avenue into Stephen Ave style smaller retail. (smaller width bays, not saying the buildings themselves have to be small, can be base of large condos/office.) That way they get their own part of Stephen Avenue.

That could potentially work.

The triangle of land between 4th and 5th ave at 10th street should have something decent go in there. And they should kill the parking lot just south of that and build retail there and redevelop the whole west side of 10th between 5th and 6th. That would make a nice retail hub.

Habanero
Nov 25, 2013, 7:18 PM
Such a mediocre project...

I respectfully disagree. It's not an exciting project, but IMO it's solid. Materials will be a key, and good materials, can make this quite a nice one.

Chadillaccc
Nov 25, 2013, 7:39 PM
I like glass, and this isn't just a square box, and the fact that they are different heights definitely is a plus. I really see nothing wrong with this. I like it. Also, the fact that they will partially obscure some of the late-90s/early-2000s Chateau-style dreck makes it even sweeter! IMO it will definitely be nicer than Waterfront, which, sorry to say, has the most suburban architecture I've ever seen in a major/important downtown premier project.

TallBob
Nov 26, 2013, 7:03 AM
^^ Chad: Try Livingston Place for "suburban style" buildings in the core/beltline. ^^

Pavlov
Nov 26, 2013, 2:30 PM
I like glass, and this isn't just a square box, and the fact that they are different heights definitely is a plus. I really see nothing wrong with this. I like it. Also, the fact that they will partially obscure some of the late-90s/early-2000s Chateau-style dreck makes it even sweeter! IMO it will definitely be nicer than Waterfront, which, sorry to say, has the most suburban architecture I've ever seen in a major/important downtown premier project.

I would argue that, in many ways, Waterfront is the most urban residential design in Calgary.

Wigs
Nov 26, 2013, 3:10 PM

hahah agreed!

^^ Chad: Try Livingston Place for "suburban style" buildings in the core/beltline. ^^

:yuck: I hate Livingston Place. looks like something that might be built in suburban Atlanta or Houston.

Wigs
Nov 26, 2013, 3:10 PM
anyone have info. on unit sizes and pricing for this development?

Chadillaccc
Nov 26, 2013, 6:03 PM
I would argue that, in many ways, Waterfront is the most urban residential design in Calgary.

Hmmm, I don't think many people would agree. Could you explain? I'm not saying I hate Waterfront, just I think that location deserved much better. Hopefully Waterfront Outlook will look a bit more curtainwall-ish as portrayed in the renders.

My opinion is that Calgary doesn't really have any truly urban-looking residential buildings completed yet. Aura will be the first, with Guardian second. I do love Montana though.

Actually there are a few shorter ones in the Beltline that have a good "urban" style design like Calla, and another one that I can't think of the name... but it's my favorite residential building in the whole city because of its huge balconies.

Jimby
Nov 26, 2013, 6:11 PM
Hmmm, I don't think many people would agree. Could you explain? I'm not saying I hate Waterfront, just I think that location deserved much better. Hopefully Waterfront Outlook will look a bit more curtainwall-ish as portrayed in the renders.

My opinion is that Calgary doesn't really have any truly urban-looking residential buildings completed yet. Aura will be the first, with Guardian second. I do love Montana though.

Actually there are a few shorter ones in the Beltline that have a good "urban" style design like Calla, and another one that I can't think of the name... but it's my favorite residential building in the whole city because of its huge balconies.

Castello?

I like how Xenex interfaces with the street and sidewalk.

Calgarian
Nov 26, 2013, 6:13 PM
I agree about Waterfront being the most Urban looking building we have so far, and that is due in large part to the very tall podium on that project. I find a 2 or 3 storey streetwall doesn't cut it, 5-8 storeys works much better.

Chadillaccc
Nov 26, 2013, 6:18 PM
Ahhh okay. I'll agree that it is the most urban residential development at street level. I just mean the look of the towers themselves I guess.

Callisto? I like how Xenex interfaces with the street and sidewalk.

I can't find Callisto anywhere online so I can't confirm if that's the one. I know most people hate it, but I also like Emerald Stone :P

Calgarian
Nov 26, 2013, 6:27 PM
Ahhh okay. I'll agree that it is the most urban residential development at street level. I just mean the look of the towers themselves I guess.

I can't find Callisto anywhere online so I can't confirm if that's the one. I know most people hate it, but I also like Emerald Stone :P

Castello, not Callisto. It's the one on 12 Ave just north of the Sheldon Chumir Centre. That one is one of my favs as well, fantastic large balconies! the street noise (and insane amount of dust in the spring) on 11th and 12th would be a major deterrent to me buying there though.

H.E.Pennypacker
Nov 26, 2013, 6:31 PM
I'm indifferent on this proposal, could be worse

I understand the point of making the west end of the waterfront more of an urban, vibrant area but one development isn't going to exactly change the whole scene .. I'm holding out for the West Village redevelopment in the long term future to bring a new world class urban dynamic along the river, which will help boost the vibrancy of all these condo towers

A few retail bays in this (and surrounding) development couldn't hurt though

Jimby
Nov 26, 2013, 6:31 PM
Castello, not Callisto. It's the one on 12 Ave just north of the Sheldon Chumir Centre. That one is one of my favs as well, fantastic large balconies! the street noise (and insane amount of dust in the spring) on 11th and 12th would be a major deterrent to me buying there though.

sorry I meant Castello!

Chadillaccc
Nov 26, 2013, 6:32 PM
Yes that is exactly the one. I love it! I'd put up with all the negative just to live there.

Pavlov
Nov 26, 2013, 7:05 PM
I agree about Waterfront being the most Urban looking building we have so far, and that is due in large part to the very tall podium on that project. I find a 2 or 3 storey streetwall doesn't cut it, 5-8 storeys works much better.

Exactly what I was referring to.

Spring2008
Dec 17, 2013, 7:19 PM
Apparently construction begins next month for the 24 storey tower.

Sales at Avenue launched at the beginning of November and the project has been well-received by homebuyers, says Michael Ward, vice-president in charge of Grosvenor’s Calgary development program.

“We are very pleased,” he says of the launch.

“We are starting to mobilize construction on the site now. Fencing is going up this week and we’ll start mobilizing the site trailers.”

Excavation is expected to begin in January. It will take about six months of excavation and shoring work before the concrete begins to be poured.

“The other big milestone is that the permit from the city should be issued prior to the end of the year, which is why we’re getting ready on the site now,” says Ward.

Once construction begins in earnest, Ward expects the sales centre to see a boost in traffic.
http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=9256621

Design-mind
Dec 18, 2013, 3:35 AM

Wow that kinda came out of left field! I have heard nothing about sales or anything since the renderings were released and now they are going to construction.

Spring2008
Dec 18, 2013, 4:29 AM
Wow that kinda came out of left field! I have heard nothing about sales or anything since the renderings were released and now they are going to construction.

Yeah, good news for sure. Grosvenor sure isn't messing around here like certain people.... cough cough mr lamb or the people behind 3eau-claire. I'm sure Smith sales centre will open right after the holidays and then it's onto their project on 16th and 4th st sw and then their other mystery location.

Luk_o
Dec 18, 2013, 5:16 AM
Am I seeing this correctly on the website - Are the spandrel (or non glass) portions of the tower supposed to be peach, violet, and yellow? Or is this just a lighting effect in the rendering? Please let that be an illusion of some type..

Bigtime
Dec 18, 2013, 2:23 PM
From the website:

A circular driveway winds around a central, landscaped island and arrives at a stunning covered entryway to your lobby. Quite a first impression

Can't say I'm impressed by this, yet another west end development giving pedestrian realm space over to the car. I don't think it really belongs or is a "need" for this development.

What I do like:

A warm, rich facade of granite and glass starts at the building’s base and extends upward dramatically.

This gives me hope that they won't pull a switch and transition that granite to stucco higher up (like Emerald Stone and Montana).

lorenavedon
Dec 18, 2013, 3:25 PM
when I went to check out Avenue, the prices and layouts seemed lackluster. The interior finishing was meh and the building design didn't make much sense to me. I wonder what sales are like if they're starting construction already. Must be good.

RyLucky
Dec 18, 2013, 4:30 PM
From the website:

Can't say I'm impressed by this, yet another west end development giving pedestrian realm space over to the car. I don't think it really belongs or is a "need" for this development.

What I do like:

This gives me hope that they won't pull a switch and transition that granite to stucco higher up (like Emerald Stone and Montana).

I like your interpretation.

sync
Dec 18, 2013, 4:33 PM
when I went to check out Avenue, the prices and layouts seemed lackluster. The interior finishing was meh and the building design didn't make much sense to me. I wonder what sales are like if they're starting construction already. Must be good.

what were the prices like for a 2 bed/2 bath?

geotag277
Dec 18, 2013, 5:16 PM
Yeah, good news for sure. Grosvenor sure isn't messing around here like certain people.... cough cough mr lamb or the people behind 3eau-claire. I'm sure Smith sales centre will open right after the holidays and then it's onto their project on 16th and 4th st sw and then their other mystery location.

I've been pretty impressed with most of the Vancouver developers. Qualex-Landmark, Bosa, Grosvenor all seem to be able to design solid towers consistently and get them actually built.

Spring2008
Dec 18, 2013, 7:01 PM
Grosvenor is actually from London. They have narrowed their portfolio to 7 cities in North America, and Calgary's one of the markets they're looking to aggressively expand on.

Calgarian
Dec 18, 2013, 7:19 PM
From the website:

Yup, just another opportunity for drivers to block the sidewalk...

Calgarian
Dec 18, 2013, 7:21 PM

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=9256621

Surprised we are finding this out from the Vancouver Sun.

Bigtime
Dec 18, 2013, 7:22 PM
Surprised we are finding this out from the Vancouver Sun.

David Parker got SCOOPED!

Trans Canada
Jun 2, 2014, 1:24 AM
Is this place officially u/c? I thought I saw a pile driver on site yesterday

Chadillaccc
Jun 2, 2014, 1:27 AM
Not UC till excavation begins.

Spring2008
Jun 2, 2014, 3:51 PM
Find it funny that a pile driver and equipment rolled in on Friday out of nowhere. Meanwhile BL's been actively marketing his ground breaking ceremony at 6th and 10th for a year and a half, with no results.

Surrealplaces
Jun 2, 2014, 8:28 PM
Is this place officially u/c? I thought I saw a pile driver on site yesterday

Yep, Caisson driller arrived on site on Friday along with a boat load of other equipment.

Canucklehead
Jun 3, 2014, 3:35 AM
Find it funny that a pile driver and equipment rolled in on Friday out of nowhere. Meanwhile BL's been actively marketing his ground breaking ceremony at 6th and 10th for a year and a half, with no results.

The difference between someone who relies on flash vs. substance.

RyLucky
Jun 3, 2014, 3:55 AM

That is interesting. Brad Lamb reminds me of the Bluths:
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121126041516/arresteddevelopment/images/2/27/2x02_The_One_Where_They_Build_a_House_(107).png

Fuzz
Jun 3, 2014, 12:38 PM
LOL WHUT?! Someone actually used the "Mission Accomplished" banner after all the disaster associated with it? Talk about poor judgment.

Bigtime
Jun 3, 2014, 1:26 PM
LOL WHUT?! Someone actually used the "Mission Accomplished" banner after all the disaster associated with it? Talk about poor judgment.

You need to go google "Arrested Development TV Series".

:haha:

"Solid as a rock!"

Fuzz
Jun 3, 2014, 1:54 PM
Ah, OK. I thought this was real...

Spring2008
Jun 4, 2014, 11:44 PM
Looked like they started drilling the caissons, anybody know if they're doing the underground for both towers at once?

Spring2008
Jun 22, 2014, 5:16 PM
2 drills working away on site now, and they're doing the underground for both towers.

O-tacular
Jun 22, 2014, 7:26 PM
That is interesting. Brad Lamb reminds me of the Bluths:
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121126041516/arresteddevelopment/images/2/27/2x02_The_One_Where_They_Build_a_House_(107).png

:haha: Apt comparison. Do you think he rides a Segway around sometimes?

Spring2008
Sep 12, 2014, 3:02 PM
Drilling finished, excavation starting for both towers.

Chadillaccc
Sep 12, 2014, 3:05 PM
Awesomeawesomeawesome! The west end needs these glassy ladies to break up that Stampitecture dumpster fire going on there!

CorporateWhore
Sep 12, 2014, 3:34 PM
While showing hints of Stampitecture, I think the West End is its own subclass of terrible. It's this weird morphing of stretched suburban Canadiana mixed with North Korean urbanism (with construction quality to match).

Pointe of View really did a number on this city. The old adage of "better than a parking lot" simply does not apply here. I will gladly take back the parking lot. Discovery Pointe, West Pointe Plaza and Tarjan Pointe (the worst of them all) have simply ruined the views of the area for decades to come. Imagine having a modern art gallery on the site of the Science Centre, and those three uggos being the backdrop to every photo?

Definitely looking forward to Avenue West going up there to block some of the views, but unfortunately it looks like they will be blocking the more decent Bosa towers instead of the fecal matter down the street.

flipstah
Sep 12, 2014, 3:36 PM

Grosvenor has been impressive with their Calgary offerings. :slob:

MasterG
Sep 12, 2014, 4:38 PM
A bit of a road-diet from 5 to 3 lanes on 5th Ave Eastbound on that block would go a long way to make that area nicer. West End suffers not only from bad design (see POV complaints) but from a lack of connection to key areas immediately nearby thanks to the major auto commuter routes of 9th, 6th, 5th, 4th bisecting things North to South along with the CPR railway and the ugliest, poorest quality crossing with an enormous amount of pedestrians.

Instead of being the logical keystone connecting areas like Kensignton, the River Pathway system, Millenium Park and the Beltline, the West End is quartered and divided so that it can't take advantage of its proximity to all these places. It is not the distance, but the time that it takes to get there do to auto-priority and excessive light signal length.

Try walking North from the Co-op to the site of the site of Avenue. You'll spend most of your travel time waiting at 10th Ave, 9th Ave and 6th Ave. God forbid CPR has a train, you're 800m walk might take 20 or 30 minutes.

Kensington is a bit better but still forces unusually long waits on 4th Ave and 10th Street, then the even longer one at Memorial and 10th Street. There are good reasons for all of these (timing required to handle counter-flow lanes etc.) but they actively serve to isolate the West End from areas of interest.

Perhaps if 10th Street forms a retail corridor or if the 8th Street improvements go through or Stephen Ave continues it's march westward with retail and better pedestrian infrastructure then some of these issues will be mitigated. Until then, West End will always be a dead-end for me.

Avenue is a nice building though, perhaps a few hundred more residents will help give the community a voice to stop being rolled over with all of these issues to the benefit of cut-through traffic :shrug:

Chadillaccc
Sep 12, 2014, 4:41 PM
While showing hints of Stampitecture, I think the West End is its own subclass of terrible. It's this weird morphing of stretched suburban Canadiana mixed with North Korean urbanism (with construction quality to match).

Pointe of View really did a number on this city. The old adage of "better than a parking lot" simply does not apply here. I will gladly take back the parking lot. Discovery Pointe, West Pointe Plaza and Tarjan Pointe (the worst of them all) have simply ruined the views of the area for decades to come. Imagine having a modern art gallery on the site of the Science Centre, and those three uggos being the backdrop to every photo?

Definitely looking forward to Avenue West going up there to block some of the views, but unfortunately it looks like they will be blocking the more decent Bosa towers instead of the fecal matter down the street.

You're right! I should have said "Chateaucitecture" or "Lacaillecitecture":haha:

But yeah, the West End is basically the morphine-addicted cousin of Burnaby's Metrotown. :/

geotag277
Sep 12, 2014, 4:48 PM
Meh, as much as Carlisle/Pointe of View and La Caille have had questionable designs, shady business practices, and sub standard quality - they are two examples of home grown Calgary based developers who made a major push towards urbanity when (nearly) no one else was willing to take a chance on it. It's great that we have international and outer-provincial interest in raising the bar on developments now, but I hope that the bar is raised for our local developers and they can grow along side the progress Calgary as a whole is making.

There is something to be said for a city to develop it's own style and approach to architecture and design. Personally I don't want Calgary to become a carbon copy of Vancouver, Toronto, or any other location that has it's own fair share of seasoned developers.

Spring2008
Sep 12, 2014, 10:12 PM
The problem with the West-End is it's mostly all 90's product. There's hardly been any growth down there these past couple cycles. Standing from Kensington closer to the river, The Avenue towers, Vogue, Mark, and the two Aura towers should be visible soon. Maybe even the west village towers. They'll add some much needed depth and modern design on that side of the skyline. It's a start anyways.

Policy Wonk
Sep 12, 2014, 10:24 PM
A bit of a road-diet from 5 to 3 lanes on 5th Ave Eastbound on that block would go a long way to make that area nicer.

Calgary Transit stages buses for rush hour there. Bumper-to-Bumper, both sides of the street, the entire block.

flipstah
Sep 12, 2014, 11:01 PM
The problem with the West-End is it's mostly all 90's product. There's hardly been any growth down there these past couple cycles. Standing from Kensington closer to the river, The Avenue towers, Vogue, Mark, and the two Aura towers should be visible soon. Maybe even the west village towers. They'll add some much needed depth and modern design on that side of the skyline. It's a start anyways.

True that and majority of the nice venues are a bit further eastward in all streets.

I can't think of a place on the West End that's talk-worthy.

*Stardust*
Sep 12, 2014, 11:03 PM
True that and majority of the nice venues are a bit further eastward in all streets.

I know when I have people visiting Calgary and I'm showing them around, I try and avoid the west end :(

flipstah
Sep 12, 2014, 11:23 PM
I know when I have people visiting Calgary and I'm showing them around, I try and avoid the west end :(

It'll get nice soon enough. At least, that's what I'm hoping. :yes:

RyLucky
Sep 12, 2014, 11:31 PM
A bit of a road-diet from 5 to 3 lanes on 5th Ave Eastbound on that block would go a long way to make that area nicer. West End suffers not only from bad design (see POV complaints) but from a lack of connection to key areas immediately nearby thanks to the major auto commuter routes of 9th, 6th, 5th, 4th bisecting things North to South along with the CPR railway and the ugliest, poorest quality crossing with an enormous amount of pedestrians.

Instead of being the logical keystone connecting areas like Kensignton, the River Pathway system, Millenium Park and the Beltline, the West End is quartered and divided so that it can't take advantage of its proximity to all these places. It is not the distance, but the time that it takes to get there do to auto-priority and excessive light signal length.

Try walking North from the Co-op to the site of the site of Avenue. You'll spend most of your travel time waiting at 10th Ave, 9th Ave and 6th Ave. God forbid CPR has a train, you're 800m walk might take 20 or 30 minutes.

Kensington is a bit better but still forces unusually long waits on 4th Ave and 10th Street, then the even longer one at Memorial and 10th Street. There are good reasons for all of these (timing required to handle counter-flow lanes etc.) but they actively serve to isolate the West End from areas of interest.

Perhaps if 10th Street forms a retail corridor or if the 8th Street improvements go through or Stephen Ave continues it's march westward with retail and better pedestrian infrastructure then some of these issues will be mitigated. Until then, West End will always be a dead-end for me.

Avenue is a nice building though, perhaps a few hundred more residents will help give the community a voice to stop being rolled over with all of these issues to the benefit of cut-through traffic :shrug:

Totally. You should run for council.

Spring2008
Sep 12, 2014, 11:48 PM

All the retail in west end is just neighbourhood focused. No real regional draw. That's part of the problem. I'm sure this will change as more condos get built. I think this was one of the topics of discussions raised during the recent future planing talks for the area.

There's a fenced lot north of Avenue along the river, anybody know what's going on there?

*Stardust*
Sep 13, 2014, 3:18 AM
All the retail in west end is just neighbourhood focused. No real regional draw. That's part of the problem. I'm sure this will change as more condos get built. I think this was one of the topics of discussions raised during the recent future planing talks for the area.

There's a fenced lot north of Avenue along the river, anybody know what's going on there?

When was this? What else was discussed?

West End needs so much work it's ridiculous. I thought the area was dense enough, yet it's still such a wasteland. The area between the West End station and Crack Mac's on 7th ave could have some nice retail? Almost like a nice gateway into West Village, and the new art gallery. I dunno though:shrug:

geotag277
Sep 13, 2014, 3:28 AM
I don't have much hope for downtown west, there aren't enough lots left to inject vibrancy into the thick of it. The part that borders the beltline (9th and 10th ave) and the beltline itself are the areas with the most hope for the future. Here's hoping the pontiac and ford sites kick start that process.

Spring2008
Sep 13, 2014, 3:44 PM
When was this? What else was discussed?

West End needs so much work it's ridiculous. I thought the area was dense enough, yet it's still such a wasteland. The area between the West End station and Crack Mac's on 7th ave could have some nice retail? Almost like a nice gateway into West Village, and the new art gallery. I dunno though:shrug:

Iirc last winter. Similar to the cultural district survey(east CBD/west East Village.

City engaged citizens asking for input on how they want to see the neighborhood improved. I think one of the main responses was for more retail/amenities. West Village towers should be a good start with 90,000 sf of podium level retail. Lots of the focus was on improving the public realm too. Don't recall the details though.

Full Mountain
Sep 16, 2014, 6:31 PM
The west end is a product of an era when condos were marketed as a vertical gated communities one which you drove in and out of (see Marina towers in Chicago). The design of tower in the last decades have changed from that to one where the primary entrance is the front door. That difference makes a world of change in design and what happens in the neighbourhood.

hotwheels
May 11, 2016, 9:42 PM
Construction Progresses on Grosvenor and Cressey's Avenue
(http://skyrisecities.com/news/2016/05/construction-progresses-grosvenor-and-cresseys-avenue)

Calgary's downtown west end hasn't seen the same level of development activity as some other bustling neighbourhoods in the city, but that's beginning to change with Avenue, a two-tower condominium by Grosvenor Americas and Cressey Development Group. The 24- and 18-storey development is starting to make an impact on the skyline as it sprouts from the intersection of 5th Avenue and 10th Street SW.