PDA

View Full Version : 17 Aberdeen St | 84 m | 23 fl | Proposed

rocketphish
Oct 29, 2016, 2:47 AM
SAKTO Corporation intends to expand the Adelaide residential building northward into the existing turning circle area. This addition will be 23 stories in height and will include 175 one-bedroom dwelling units. In addition to this, a 9th floor will be added to the existing residential building. The site plan proposes a total increase of 197 residential dwelling units.

The proposed tower extension will extend perpendicular to the existing Adelaide building from the north facade, adding 175 new rental apartment units. The core of the existing building will be extended to provide access for the new tower. At the ground floor, the tower extension will provide amenity space accessible to the entire building including lounges, a gym, and meeting rooms. The extension will also feature connections to the existing building on floors 2 through 5. On floors 6 through 21, the new building will be serviced by the new elevator core.

The existing Adelaide apartment building is part of the greater Preston Square mixed-used development and is situated on the north side of Aberdeen Street between Preston Street and Rochester Street.

Development application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__0EJNHD

Aerial:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.3987628,-75.7094171,190a,20y,5.35h,64.79t/data=!3m1!1e3

Renderings:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5564/30542851101_9c10031115_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5631/29999079074_7d44e5ee65_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5701/29999079184_36e9a74e10_b.jpg

Site plan:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5689/29997171423_c1564e753a_b.jpg

rocketphish
Oct 29, 2016, 2:47 AM
Sakto proposes 24-storey apartment building for Ottawa’s Preston Square

OBJ Staff
Published on October 28, 2016

Sakto Corp. is looking to increase the offerings in its Preston Square portfolio, proposing a new 24-storey residential building on the site as well as a single-storey addition to its existing Adelaide rental property.

Sakto’s present portfolio is heavily weighted towards office buildings. The new development would expand its residential real estate holdings with 175 new rental units in the 24-storey building and 22 additional units on top of its Adelaide property.

The site, known as Preston Square, is currently zoned as a traditional mainstreet and mixed-use, and is bound by Highway 417 to the north, Aberdeen Street to the south, Preston Street to the east and Rochester Street to the west.

Currently occupying the site are Sakto’s office buildings - two 11-storey structures and one four-floor building - as well as its Adelaide property. Included in the area are pedestrian walkways and an interior courtyard, as well as an underground parking garage featuring 1,056 spaces, 34 of which would be lost to the development. Thirteen additional spaces would be added in compensation.

The development requires zoning changes as well as an official plan amendment to proceed. The city says it plans to review the application and present its recommendation to the planning committee by January.

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Residential/2016-10-28/article-4674379/Sakto-proposes-24-storey-apartment-building-for-Ottawa%26rsquo%3Bs-Preston-Square/1

McC
Oct 29, 2016, 12:37 PM
That looks like an unrealized office plan from Tunney's Pasture, ca. 1972.

Richard Eade
Oct 29, 2016, 3:40 PM
Granted, it is not, in my opinion, the best looking building, but at least the architect picked up some of the elements of the original residential building; particularly, the framed vertical bars of the upper windows.

There is a real struggle these days about how much of an older building’s look should be incorporated into new additions. The Chateau Laurier is a local extreme example of trying to have the addition look as different as practical. In this case, the architect appears to have, at least, tried to make this new building look as if it was in the same family. And remember, it has to also blend in a bit with the office towers which are part of the same complex.

rocketphish
Oct 29, 2016, 4:42 PM
Granted, it is not, in my opinion, the best looking building, but at least the architect picked up some of the elements of the original residential building; particularly, the framed vertical bars of the upper windows.

There is a real struggle these days about how much of an older building’s look should be incorporated into new additions. The Chateau Laurier is a local extreme example of trying to have the addition look as different as practical. In this case, the architect appears to have, at least, tried to make this new building look as if it was in the same family. And remember, it has to also blend in a bit with the office towers which are part of the same complex.

The framed vertical bars of the upper windows is the new floor they're going to add to the existing building. So they could match any look they wanted while adding that extra level. I agree that they could have done better.

Kitchissippi
Oct 29, 2016, 6:09 PM
For a single-owner property, this block has one of the most mismatched and cacophonous buildings in the city. The buildings aren't that old but, man, it's like they never planned what they were going to put in there. The whole development looks like a flea market of architectural styles and sample board of exterior finishes

1overcosc
Oct 29, 2016, 10:03 PM
I like Preston square. It's a lively mixed use addition to an urban area and the street interaction is great.

ac888yow
Oct 30, 2016, 2:01 AM
It'll be a tight squeeze in there.

http://i64.tinypic.com/qx5ixx.jpg

Arcologist
Oct 31, 2016, 2:16 PM
A building the width of three trees?!?!? How will they ever do it?!?! ;)

Arcologist
Oct 31, 2016, 2:17 PM
For a single-owner property, this block has one of the most mismatched and cacophonous buildings in the city. The buildings aren't that old but, man, it's like they never planned what they were going to put in there. The whole development looks like a flea market of architectural styles and sample board of exterior finishes

I actually like Preston Square for this very reason.

rocketphish
Feb 23, 2017, 12:16 AM
25-storey apartment planned for Ottawa's Little Italy
City staff say the tower will be visible from Hwy 417, Prince of Wales, and the Queen Elizabeth Driveway

By Kate Porter, CBC News
Posted: Feb 22, 2017 5:05 PM ET Last Updated: Feb 22, 2017 5:15 PM ET

https://i.cbc.ca/1.3994693.1487796443!/fileImage/httpImage/image.png_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/sakto-corporation-tower-rendering-from-preston-street.png

A local developer is hoping city council will approve its plans to add a tower with 175 rental apartments in the middle of a cluster of buildings it owns in Ottawa's Little Italy.

Sakto Corporation's application will go before planning committee on Feb. 28 to ask that the city's official plan and zoning bylaw be amended to allow 25 storeys on a parcel of land that currently allows only nine and 15 storeys.

Sakto also wants to add a ninth floor to its Adelaide rental apartment building on Aberdeen Street.

The new tower will be surrounded by buildings also owned by Sakto: two office towers and the Preston Square building that houses several restaurants.

In their report, city staff note the new tower will be visible from Highway 417, Prince of Wales Drive and the Queen Elizabeth Driveway, but that the change to the skyline doesn't have an impact on those so-called "scenic entry routes."

In the report, the city councillor for the area, Catherine McKenney, said she supports the zoning and official plan changes, but she is against removing some mature trees.

She also wants to make sure that cyclists and walkers have a route between Rochester and Preston streets along an access road that hugs the Queensway.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/apartment-tower-planned-for-little-italy-1.3994665

Uhuniau
Feb 23, 2017, 5:12 AM
The whole development looks like a flea market of architectural styles and sample board of exterior finishes

That's a feature, not a bug, in my books.

TheGoods
Feb 28, 2017, 7:13 PM
Going for approval by council on March 8:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/city-committee-oks-new-tower-for-preston-square

rocketphish
Feb 28, 2017, 10:32 PM
Going for approval by council on March 8:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/city-committee-oks-new-tower-for-preston-square

City committee OKs new tower for Preston Square

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: February 28, 2017 | Last Updated: February 28, 2017 4:09 PM EST

The planning committee has approved a major addition to Little Italy’s Preston Square.

Satko Corporation wants to add a storey on top of an existing eight-storey building at 17 Aberdeen St., and construct a new 25-storey residential building at Preston Square, located at 333, 343 and 347 Preston St.

A total of 22 units are proposed for the new ninth floor of the Aberdeen Street building, while the tower would contain 175 units.

The city’s 2014 plan for the Preston-Carling district limits building heights to six storeys along Preston, nine storeys along Aberdeen and 15 storeys on the remaining portion of the site. The proposed 25-storey tower would be within the 15- and nine-storey height limit areas.

Planners say they are OK with the height increase because the development aligns with the overall goals of the city’s official plan and the district plan, and will encourage increased intensification. The added population, they add, will support the nearby shops and restaurants, and help to bring vibrancy to the area.

Preston Square, which is just south of the Queensway, has a mix of office space, apartments, restaurants and other commercial uses along Preston, and underground parking.

Council votes on the proposal March 8.

mpearson@postmedia.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

rocketphish
Mar 9, 2017, 1:47 AM
City Council: Green light for local coffee, cheese at markets, new McArthur bike lanes

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: March 8, 2017 | Last Updated: March 8, 2017 6:36 PM EST

Approving the Stage 2 LRT plan was the main entrée at Wednesday’s city council meeting, but there were several juicy appetizers.

<snip>

Preston Square grows

There’s a major addition coming to Little Italy’s Preston Square.

Council approved Sakto Corp.’s plan to add a storey on top of an existing eight-storey building at 17 Aberdeen St., and construct a new 25-storey residential building at Preston Square, located at 333, 343 and 347 Preston St.

A total of 22 units are proposed for the new ninth floor of the Aberdeen Street building, while the tower would contain 175 units.

Preston Square, which is just south of the Queensway, has a mix of office space, apartments, restaurants and other commercial uses along Preston, and underground parking.

<snip>

mpearson@postmedia.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ottawa-city-council-green-light-for-local-coffee-cheese-at-markets-plus-new-mcarthur-bike-lanes

little italian
Mar 9, 2017, 4:53 PM
The city’s 2014 plan for the Preston-Carling district limits building heights to six storeys along Preston, nine storeys along Aberdeen and 15 storeys on the remaining portion of the site. The proposed 25-storey tower would be within the 15- and nine-storey height limit areas.

What is the point of the city plan if they are just going to throw it out the window for anyone that asks?

Uhuniau
Mar 9, 2017, 5:21 PM
What is the point of the city plan if they are just going to throw it out the window for anyone that asks?

Conversely, what is the problem with the height of this building?

UrbOttawa
Mar 9, 2017, 8:59 PM
I'd be happy as long as they changed the horrible teal coloured bricks to red or black/grey a la Gotham

Original:
https://i.cbc.ca/1.3994693.1487796443!/fileImage/httpImage/image.png_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/sakto-corporation-tower-rendering-from-preston-street.png

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3712/32964333120_baf1f143ef_z.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/721/32964333280_226679c280_z.jpg
Photoshopped by me

gjhall
Mar 9, 2017, 9:01 PM
Conversely, what is the problem with the height of this building?

Indeed - the plan calls for 15 storeys in this area - yet it's buffered by the existing buildings and the Queensway.

I would wager that the plan never considered the addition of a tower to the site.

Plans are about community aspirations, not merely to follow the plans for their own sake.

So I will echo Uhunian in respectfully asking 'little italian' - where they take issue with this amendment to the plan?

merci

Uhuniau
Mar 9, 2017, 9:31 PM
Not singling out Little Italian, but I've seen other commentary, usually of the freakout variety, over the heights of various proposed buildings in the general vicinity of southern Preston or the Carling O-Train station, and I can't help but think: if height and density aren't "appropriate" in that location, where, in the name of all that is holy, would the nattering nabobs of NIMBYtivity ever accept them?

Lakeofthewood
Mar 9, 2017, 10:10 PM
Not singling out Little Italian, but I've seen other commentary, usually of the freakout variety, over the heights of various proposed buildings in the general vicinity of southern Preston or the Carling O-Train station, and I can't help but think: if height and density aren't "appropriate" in that location, where, in the name of all that is holy, would the nattering nabobs of NIMBYtivity ever accept them?

Downtown Toronto. Anything closer would obscure their view of Lake Ontario

J.OT13
Mar 9, 2017, 11:01 PM
Although I am totally on board with this proposal, I can't help but think of how much trouble Mizrahi had with his proposal on Wellington West at Island Park for a mere 3 extra floors over the limit while this one, at 10 over the limit, was approved without question. Double standards?

cityguy
Mar 10, 2017, 2:45 AM
Any idea when construction would start?

Uhuniau
Mar 10, 2017, 4:08 AM
Although I am totally on board with this proposal, I can't help but think of how much trouble Mizrahi had with his proposal on Wellington West at Island Park for a mere 3 extra floors over the limit while this one, at 10 over the limit, was approved without question. Double standards?

B*itchisippi is NIMBYer than Preston Street.

BlueJay
Mar 10, 2017, 2:33 PM
I like it. It's been years that I hoped they would move the Hilton Lac Leamy to the Ottawa side.

Luker
Mar 10, 2017, 2:52 PM
i like it. It's been years that i hoped they would move the hilton lac leamy to the ottawa side.

lol!

little italian
Mar 10, 2017, 4:51 PM
So I will echo Uhunian in respectfully asking 'little italian' - where they take issue with this amendment to the plan?

FWIW, I am for densification of little italy. I just don't understand the obsession with height, and wish that developers and the city would take a graduated approach to development.

A few points:

- Claridge, Sky One, Carling Two, Carling 3, Soho Italia, Champagne 2, Envie 2, the development formerly known as Nuovo, and this new tower provide a cumulative 285 (!) stories of condo in a neighbourhood that is currently predominantly 2 stories. And yet, condos are not selling. With a graduated approach, we'd could see slow but steady densification in this neighbourhood. The development at 170 Preston is a great example of something that has gone up fast, should look good, and provides real densification now; http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=217033. As people come to the hood, we'll get more amenities, which will drive further development. Heights can rise as and when necessary. Instead, the city is authorizing hulking towers for which there is no market. Developers then sit on empty or underused properties in anticipation of a distant future huge pay day, and the neighbourhood suffers for it empty, underused and ugly lots. The approval of this tower suggests we're set for more of the same, and a winner take all slow and jagged approach to building up this neighbourhood rather than a competitive steady state.

- gjhall writes that "Plans are about community aspirations". I agree that this should be the case. From my attendance at meetings where this plan was discussed, community members were and are concerned about heights. City planners worked on this, engaged with the community to find a balance between the aspirations of the community and the needs of the city -- at great taxpayer expense I would add. They settled on 15 stories as a compromise. The fact that the city approves height rises to anyone who asks, to me at least, makes a mockery of the idea that city plans have anything to do with community aspiration. It seems to me that they are more about allowing the city to say that it cares about community engagement, so that it can then turn around and do whatever developers ask -- community be damned.

- Uhunian writes "B*itchisippi is NIMBYer than Preston Street". I hate the prerogative use of NIMBY, and the idea that there are degrees of NIMBYism. Of course we are all self-interested, and all want to see our neighbourhoods improve in whatever way we think is best for our particular neighbourhood from our particular perspective. The real difference is more likely that Kitchisippians are more engaged, more affluent and know how to be more influential than residents of little italy, which has a high level of renters and social housing and is less organized to fight for the community's needs.

Uhuniau
Mar 10, 2017, 5:24 PM
FWIW, I am for densification of little italy. I just don't understand the obsession with height,

I don't, either, but by that I mean I don't understand the constant criticism and fear of height in buildings, when energy would be much better focussed on form, function, and street-level interaction, rather than obsessing over height as somehow inherently bad.

and wish that developers and the city would take a graduated approach to development.

"Graduated" how? In space, time, or both? To my eyes, this project would be graduated in both senses.

Claridge, Sky One, Carling Two, Carling 3, Soho Italia, Champagne 2, Envie 2, the development formerly known as Nuovo, and this new tower provide a cumulative 285 (!) stories of condo in a neighbourhood that is currently predominantly 2 stories.

I fail to see the problem.

And yet, condos are not selling.

That's a problem for the owners of the project, and of pretty well no concern to anyone else.

Instead, the city is authorizing hulking towers for which there is no market.

The lack of a market is a matter for the developer to worry about.

- gjhall writes that "Plans are about community aspirations". I agree that this should be the case. From my attendance at meetings where this plan was discussed, community members were and are concerned about heights.

Y tho?

Other than the restricted case of viewplane preservation, I do not understand the fixation that "community members" have with height. I really, really don't. Why does the community "aspire" to fix heights at - too often - an arbitrarily low limit?

- Uhunian writes "B*itchisippi is NIMBYer than Preston Street". I hate the prerogative use of NIMBY, and the idea that there are degrees of NIMBYism. Of course we are all self-interested, and all want to see our neighbourhoods improve in whatever way we think is best for our particular neighbourhood from our particular perspective. The real difference is more likely that Kitchisippians are more engaged, more affluent

DING DING DING.

You see that manifested in everything from NIMBYist opposition to All Of The Things to the precious Kitchisippians' distaste for sharing "their" buses with poor people. Classism, pure and simple, and, sadly, the city is culturally and structurally bound to respond to it.

and know how to be more influential than residents of little italy, which has a high level of renters and social housing and is less organized to fight for the community's needs.

What community needs are in any way deleteriously impacted by a 20-something floor residential building being built in it?

rocketphish
Mar 10, 2017, 5:40 PM
FWIW, I am for densification of little italy. I just don't understand the obsession with height, and wish that developers and the city would take a graduated approach to development.

A few points:

- Claridge, Sky One, Carling Two, Carling 3, Soho Italia, Champagne 2, Envie 2, the development formerly known as Nuovo, and this new tower provide a cumulative 285 (!) stories of condo in a neighbourhood that is currently predominantly 2 stories. And yet, condos are not selling. With a graduated approach, we'd could see slow but steady densification in this neighbourhood. The development at 170 Preston is a great example of something that has gone up fast, should look good, and provides real densification now; http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=217033. As people come to the hood, we'll get more amenities, which will drive further development. Heights can rise as and when necessary. Instead, the city is authorizing hulking towers for which there is no market. Developers then sit on empty or underused properties in anticipation of a distant future huge pay day, and the neighbourhood suffers for it empty, underused and ugly lots. The approval of this tower suggests we're set for more of the same, and a winner take all slow and jagged approach to building up this neighbourhood rather than a competitive steady state.

I'll bet that if you added up the number of predominantly 2-story dwellings in the area they'd cumulatively be greater than 285 stories. I fail to see your point.

YOWetal
Mar 10, 2017, 6:18 PM

I don't think it's a double standard. I don't know if Sakto even had to do much lobbying as it seems like a no brainer. Sakto has an "interesting" history but I don't think there is any reason to not approve this project.

Marshsparrow
Mar 11, 2017, 12:04 AM
I say just build it... nothing else better to put in that spot

gjhall
Mar 13, 2017, 7:30 PM
...And yet, condos are not selling.

This is a proposed rental building, so that bullet is dodged.

...With a graduated approach, we'd could see slow but steady densification in this neighbourhood.

I think it's fair to say that's exactly what's happening on this site. Both physically and over time. Infilling their own internal courtyard, adding a floor to an existing building, all within the floorplate of an existing mixed use development - what am I missing here? This isn't a pie in the sky tower on a random lot.

...Developers then sit on empty or underused properties in anticipation of a distant future huge pay day, and the neighbourhood suffers for it empty, underused and ugly lots.

Obviously not the case here.

... From my attendance at meetings where this plan was discussed, community members were and are concerned about heights. City planners worked on this, engaged with the community to find a balance between the aspirations of the community and the needs of the city -- at great taxpayer expense I would add. They settled on 15 stories as a compromise.

While I agree that's true for the area, I doubt there was concern about this site and context - as it is by all accounts, already developed.

... know how to be more influential than residents of little italy, which has a high level of renters and social housing and is less organized to fight for the community's needs.

Perhaps, but I fail to see how opposing a new rental tower would help the needs of this area with a high level of renters.

BlueJay
Apr 10, 2017, 3:43 AM
Interesting article. It may be nothing, but it may be something.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/04/09/ottawa-real-estate-companys-ties-to-malaysia-questioned

blackjagger
Mar 25, 2019, 7:04 PM
Looks like this one is back on the burner with a proposed increase to 30 storeys.

https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__ACBQLO

AuxTown
Mar 25, 2019, 10:43 PM
Kind of cool looking project. Very thin when viewed from N-S

Arcologist
Mar 26, 2019, 6:01 PM
Looks like this one is back on the burner with a proposed increase to 30 storeys.

https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__ACBQLO

If they're going for added height, then hopefully they improve the design as well.

MountainView
Mar 26, 2019, 6:33 PM
If they're going for added height, then hopefully they improve the design as well.

In the application it says they are increasing their request to 30 floors without increasing the already approved height. I doubt they will change much of the exterior design

rocketphish
Mar 27, 2019, 4:48 PM
Sakto proposes three extra floors for planned 25-storey tower at Preston Square

By: OBJ staff
Published: Mar 26, 2019 2:16pm EDT
Updated: Mar 27, 2019 2:16pm EDT

http://www.obj.ca/sites/default/files/styles/article_main/public/2019-03/Screenshot%202019-03-26%20at%202.57.07%20PM.png

An Ottawa real estate firm has revised its plans for a major addition to its Little Italy property, adding three floors and nearly 60 units to its previous proposal to build a 25-storey residential tower at Preston Square.

Council approved Sakto Corp.’s original plan in 2017 that included a new highrise residential building at Preston Square at 333, 343 and 347 Preston St. The proposal also called for a one-storey addition to the top of an existing eight-storey residential building on nearby Aberdeen Street.

That plan proposed a total of 22 new units for the Aberdeen Street building and 175 units in the Preston Square tower.

In a revised application recently filed with the city, Sakto says it now wants to add another three floors to the 25-storey highrise, boosting the total number of units in the tower to 232. The developer says the proposal will still be within the 148-metre height limit for the site. The new plan includes a full floor of amenities such as a gym and lounge on the 27th floor as well as additional amenity spaces on lower levels.

Located just south of the Queensway, the existing Preston Square development includes a pair of 11-storey office towers, the eight-storey residential building on Aberdeen Street and a four-storey commercial building. The five-acre site features a mix of office space, apartments, restaurants, bars and other commercial enterprises as well as underground parking for more than 1,000 vehicles.

http://www.obj.ca/article/sakto-proposes-three-extra-floors-planned-25-storey-tower-preston-square

AuxTown
Apr 22, 2019, 1:04 PM
The more I think about this project and drive by it every day the more I hate it. I think it will look really stupid stuck in between those twin towers. I know someone owns the land and wants to make the most use of it but, unlike the distant view of Icon between the existing towers, having something built in that empty spot that is significantly taller than its neighbours will look bad (at least the view from the 417 and other areas to the North). From the South on Preston (as rendered) it doesn't look terrible.