PDA

View Full Version : Lambeth - Main St. Renewal

kaiserLDN
Dec 16, 2016, 5:55 PM
A much needed street renewal in Lambeth to help Southwest London.

http://www.london.ca/business/Planning-Development/secondary-plans/Documents/Presentation-Lambeth-OctoberMtg2016-10-18.pdf

jammer139
Dec 16, 2016, 7:30 PM
A lot of issues here including the cemetery at one of the intersections. Would love to see some design that includes street parking and creates a small town/village vibe. Rather then a 4 lane highway.

manny_santos
Dec 18, 2016, 3:05 AM
Now is probably a good time to re-visit this corridor's design. It's not an important long-distance corridor anymore since the building of the 402 and more recently the addition of the Wonderland interchange on the 402, but it hasn't really changed at all. If traffic volumes don't justify a four-lane cross-section, this is a good idea.

kaiserLDN
Dec 19, 2016, 3:25 PM
Yes and they have to rip it up anyways to insert sanitary sewers. The main part of Lambeth is only getting them now.

Pimpmasterdac
Dec 19, 2016, 4:56 PM
They had the opportunity to realign the triangle of doom, and have Wharncliffe go north of Lambeth and link up with Longwoods via Kilbourne but the locals didn't like it. Through the it would take "too much" traffic away from Main St. Now they want the make the streets for pedestrian/active friendly, but fail to divert traffic. No win with some people.

kaiserLDN
Dec 19, 2016, 5:31 PM
I agree but maybe Pack Rd. becoming the future Bradley extension could take traffic off the Main st. also Kilborne extension, Bostwick realignment can help some things. This link has that which is recent.

http://www.london.ca/residents/Environment/EAs/Documents/Bostwick%20Road%20PIC%201%20Display%20Boards%20Final.pdf

jammer139
Dec 19, 2016, 11:37 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if the Bradley extension to join Pack Rd will ever happen. There is major servicing work now underway on south side of Pack Rd west of Cornel Talbot for a new subdivision of single family, and townhomes. Pack Rd needs to be rebuilt badly given is horrible condition straight thru from Boswick.

go_leafs_go02
Dec 20, 2016, 4:15 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if the Bradley extension to join Pack Rd will ever happen. There is major servicing work now underway on south side of Pack Rd west of Cornel Talbot for a new subdivision of single family, and townhomes. Pack Rd needs to be rebuilt badly given is horrible condition straight thru from Boswick.

Yes it will happen, although not planned until 2032 at this point.

kaiserLDN
Dec 20, 2016, 6:49 PM
Yes it will happen, although not planned until 2032 at this point.

loll 2032... I hope your joking.

K85
Dec 20, 2016, 10:19 PM
His joking?

But in all seriousness, it's going to be a long fucking time before it is..

kaiserLDN
Dec 21, 2016, 3:06 PM
His joking?

But in all seriousness, it's going to be a long fucking time before it is..

Yes I agree.

ssiguy
Jan 2, 2017, 5:00 AM
Lambeth was always a lovely little town.

It would be great if they could widen the sidewalks and provide more parking by getting rid of 2 of the 4 lanes that go thru the town on Hwy 2 & 4.

It has been 4 lanes for decades but that was due to the traffic from the 1960s for the 401 before completion and in the 70s it was still the main route for traffic from Sarnia to London/401 via Wellington Road exit. Of course since then it's still remains somewhat busy due to people still needing to go down HWY#2/4 to get to the 401/Windsor and 402/Sarnia.

When Wonderland was open on the 402 for connections west to Sarnia and east to Toronto it's traffic was limited to those going to Windsor but now that Wonderland has also been extended to the 401 for those going to Windsor and even some from St.Thomas, the roads relevance has greatly declined.

I remember in the 70s/early80s it was actually quite a busy strip before the 402 came to town. Now all the reasons for it's 4 laned widening decades ago have basicly vanished. It would be great to see Lambeth and it's Core renew itself to an interesting town to visit with unique shops than rather what it had become..........that pretty little town you had to drive thru.

jammer139
Jan 2, 2017, 2:15 PM
I agree. With the work on Wonderland Rd south of Exeter Rd planned for 2017 (I hope they are widening that stretch to 4 lanes straight thru to the new 401 interchange) they can make Main St a 2 lane lane road with street parking and wider sidewalks and planters. Even a roundabout might work. A return to a small town vibe is definitely doable on this project.

haljackey
Jan 2, 2017, 8:38 PM
I agree. With the work on Wonderland Rd south of Exeter Rd planned for 2017 (I hope they are widening that stretch to 4 lanes straight thru to the new 401 interchange)

Work planned for this year is just a 2-lane upgrade (turn lanes, shoulders, lighting, drainage, etc). Wonderland will remain 1 lane in each direction south of Exeter until the early 2020s, when it is planned to get 4 laned from Exeter to the 402.

The Wonderland/402 overpass is too narrow and it either needs to be rebuilt or twinned to support 4-laning between 402 and 401.

I'd say once all of Wonderland's work is done and other nearby infrastructure is built (like the full Bradley Avenue extension), then Main Street and Highway 4 can get a lane or two taken out without too much of a fuss.

kaiserLDN
Apr 5, 2018, 2:15 PM
The news article about this project.

http://lfpress.com/news/local-news/lambeth-businesses-residents-brace-for-big-dig

jammer139
Aug 26, 2018, 12:54 PM
Curbs on south side are now installed. Imagine the grading and paving will happen soon and traffic moved so the north side can be dug up.

UpstairsCranberry
Aug 26, 2018, 1:36 PM
Now is probably a good time to re-visit this corridor's design. It's not an important long-distance corridor anymore since the building of the 402 and more recently the addition of the Wonderland interchange on the 402, but it hasn't really changed at all. If traffic volumes don't justify a four-lane cross-section, this is a good idea.

This is the new Highway 4 route:
Hwy 4 reroute (https://www.london.ca/residents/Roads-Transportation/traffic-management/Documents/Hwy%204%20reroute.pdf)

jammer139
Oct 3, 2018, 10:34 PM
Traffic now shifted to south side as north side is being dug up. Running out time before the snows fly and this stops for winter.

haljackey
Oct 4, 2018, 11:54 PM
Meanwhile...

4Os7cVq3MXQ

Djeffery
Oct 5, 2018, 12:19 AM
Meanwhile...

4Os7cVq3MXQ

What purpose does a zipper merge accomplish in this situation? They already are merged, what good does unmerging, going over to the other lane and merging again do? Only so many cars are going to go through the light in that single lane. Whether the cars are lined up back to Tim Hortons in a single line, or side by side, the same number of cars will get through the light. And probably fewer since the cars will be moving slower to make sure everyone is merging.

Now, take an example like Riverside going eastbound through Wonderland. The lanes merge east of the intersection. Zipper merging there makes sense because more people get through the light using both lanes and then merge after. Same as Springbank westbound at Wonderland, Commissioners westbound at Wonderland and countless other similar intersections like that.

jammer139
Oct 5, 2018, 11:10 AM
Par for the course.

Don't need merge if Riverside was 4 lanes from Sanatorium Rd to Wharncliffe. Springbank 4 lanes west to Byron.

Badly designed roads. Bottlenecks and choke points all over the city. 4 lanes to 2 lanes back to 4 lanes. Left hand turn lanes without advanced signal lights. Left hand turn lanes that are blind and down right dangerous due to horrible design.

Wasting money by digging up roads and rebuilding infrastructure back to the previous design when you had the opportunity to build it better while you had the shovel in the ground. :hell:

City engineering and transportation dept can and must do better. City Council needs members who understand this and support it.

Djeffery
Nov 19, 2018, 11:34 PM
A large swath of paving was done today. The north side of the roadway was paved all the way back past Campbell St. I don't imagine the top layer will be done until spring, so I wonder how much longer until this all opens back up now.

MrSlippery519
Nov 21, 2018, 5:01 PM
A large swath of paving was done today. The north side of the roadway was paved all the way back past Campbell St. I don't imagine the top layer will be done until spring, so I wonder how much longer until this all opens back up now.

Between this and the work on wharncliffe/wonderland the workers seem to be in slow motion.

Djeffery
Nov 21, 2018, 10:28 PM
Between this and the work on wharncliffe/wonderland the workers seem to be in slow motion.

For sure, the Wharncliffe/Wonderland mess is crazy how long that's taking. The Lambeth one hasn't seemed as long to me, but maybe that's just because I'm looking at how long other projects seem to be dragging on for, and Lambeth started later in the spring I think.

Djeffery
Nov 26, 2018, 10:34 PM
Noticed on the weekend that the lanes have been painted. Looks like they are using the north side of the road as a staging area to finish off the boulevards and driveways along there. Getting closer.

Also in the area, it seems that Wonderland and Exeter is open back up. I went down Wonderland on the weekend and they had all 4 lanes open going through Wharncliffe. Also tonight coming home, I usually come up Wonderland off the 402 and cut down the side road to Lambeth, and I noticed that traffic on Wonderland going north to Exeter was moving normally and not very backed up, where it's been backed up past that side road the last several months.

Djeffery
Nov 30, 2018, 10:09 PM
Also in the area, it seems that Wonderland and Exeter is open back up. I went down Wonderland on the weekend and they had all 4 lanes open going through Wharncliffe. Also tonight coming home, I usually come up Wonderland off the 402 and cut down the side road to Lambeth, and I noticed that traffic on Wonderland going north to Exeter was moving normally and not very backed up, where it's been backed up past that side road the last several months.

Was through here again today. I really wish they had cleaned up the lane markings. There are still the temporary lines from the construction along with the new lines, along with old turn lane arrows in the now straight through lanes. Southbound, I saw 2 lanes of people trying to turn left onto Wharncliffe because there is a new turning lane and the old turning lane still with it's arrow in what is now the left of the 2 straight through southbound lanes. I also really hope the plan is to repave Wonderland next year from Bradley down past Exeter.

Djeffery
Dec 7, 2018, 10:03 PM
Didn't go through Lambeth today but the radio reported it's back open now.

tyeman200
Dec 8, 2018, 2:16 AM
Didn't go through Lambeth today but the radio reported it's back open now.

About time lol! I just drove past there yesterday and it was still only one lane, so glad to see it at least open again.