PDA

View Full Version : SAN FRANCISCO | Projects: Under Construction, Approved, and Proposed

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120

ChargerCarl
Jan 31, 2017, 11:36 PM
Except it's undoubtedly where it's the strongest, overall. SF city-proper has some of the most impressive transit coverage of any American city, and Oakland is no slouch either, though it's not in the same league as SF.

Though if you never ride the bus, and only consider trains to be "proper" public transit, i could see how you might come to the conclusion that coverage in the core sucks (i agree that for trains it does kinda suck, though it still is good by US standards).

Yeah, there should be more BART/Muni metro coverage in the core. Geary needs a subway yesterday, as does Van Ness and maybe 19th ave.

But dude...San Jose is one of the three major cities in the Bay Area, and BART is going to be serving the densest part of the city. BART to SJ is a good thing, and I'm not sure why you're throwing SJ into the same bucket as the suburbs.

I mean San Diego is one of the biggest cities in Southern California, but it doesn't make sense to extend LA's metro system all the way to it. It's not cost effective given the low density areas between SJ and SF that are unlikely to be up zoned any time soon. This is what commuter rail is for.

BART's untenable scope is is why it loses so much money and it's core services suffer for it.

tech12
Feb 1, 2017, 2:45 AM
I mean San Diego is one of the biggest cities in Southern California, but it doesn't make sense to extend LA's metro system all the way to it. It's not cost effective given the low density areas between SJ and SF that are unlikely to be up zoned any time soon. This is what commuter rail is for.

BART's untenable scope is is why it loses so much money and it's core services suffer for it.

Except San Jose is in the Bay Area. BART stands for BAY AREA Rapid Transit. We're not talking about BART to Sacramento here, so i'm not sure what your San Diego comparison is all about. Nice false equivalence, I guess.

Also, you seem to have missed the fact that BART has always been a hybrid commuter/metro system. BART to SJ is the commuter rail. Well, in addition to the other commuter rail system that already serves SJ (CalTrain)

ChargerCarl
Feb 1, 2017, 2:55 AM
Except San Jose is in the Bay Area. BART stands for BAY AREA Rapid Transit. We're not talking about BART to Sacramento here, so i'm not sure what your San Diego comparison is all about. Nice false equivalence, I guess.

The point is it's not an efficient use of resources. Whats so difficult to understand about that? My house is in the bay area, should BART run a train right to my front door? Obviously not.

Also, you seem to have missed the fact that BART has always been a hybrid commuter/metro system. BART to SJ is the commuter rail. Well, in addition to the other commuter rail system that already serves SJ (CalTrain)

The point is using BART as commuter rail isn't a good idea and the money BART hemorrhages servicing low density communities is evidence of this. It's currently one of the worst performing systems in the world in terms of ridership/km of rail and its service quality has suffered because of it.

Since BART is going to continue to keep expanding outward we desperately need more TOD, which will increase ridership and help towards solving the housing crisis.

mt_climber13
Feb 1, 2017, 4:14 AM
I agree that BART and even CalTrain stops are located in some of the most silly places surrounded by single family homes, or in the case of the South SF CalTrain station, underneath a freeway overpass with a Lowe's store as the nearest building about ¼ mile away. If SF and the Bay Area are going to take away freeways, I wouldn't have a problem with that if they replace it with some sort of mass transit options, but right now, they are not building any new freeways nor any new mass transit stations or rail lines to handle the density. Every time I think of going to SF now I think "traffic" and I end up changing my plans. If I could drive to a BART station and take that into SF and get around the city reasonably by light rail or subway then I wouldn't care. But it's just not efficient to take public transit in the Bay Area.

Regardless, hopefully self driving buses and cars come sooner rather than later and that will be the answer to traffic nightmares, since the politicians have no initiative to do anything about it. Leave it to the businessmen like Elon Musk, Google, Uber, and Lyft.

Pedestrian
Feb 1, 2017, 5:27 AM

I question how many people live in either LA or San Diego and work in the other or have business interests that involve both such as the Silicon Valley companies who use San Francisco law firms and/or Silican Valley executives who either have second homes in San Francisco or use San Francisco dining and cultural facilities and so on. SF and SJ are functionally one metro much more so, I think, than LA and San Diego--SF's football team plays much nearer to SJ after all--and needs public transit options that connect the two city centers.

And you call BART's "scope" untenable without even much of an explanation much less evidence to support such a judgement. BART was initially conceived as circumnavigating the Bay and uniting the cities surrounding the Bay, which it is now coming close to doing for the first time, and many people use segments of it to go from one suburb to another as well as to a city center. Basically, it runs full. If it loses money, it's not for lack of ridership but I also question whether it loses more money than most rail transit systems. I believe they all require subsidies.

I agree that BART and even CalTrain stops are located in some of the most silly places surrounded by single family homes, or in the case of the South SF CalTrain station, underneath a freeway overpass with a Lowe's store as the nearest building about ¼ mile away. If SF and the Bay Area are going to take away freeways, I wouldn't have a problem with that if they replace it with some sort of mass transit options, but right now, they are not building any new freeways nor any new mass transit stations or rail lines to handle the density. Every time I think of going to SF now I think "traffic" and I end up changing my plans. If I could drive to a BART station and take that into SF and get around the city reasonably by light rail or subway then I wouldn't care. But it's just not efficient to take public transit in the Bay Area.

I live in SF without a car but I am a member of Zipcar as well as using BART/Muni regularly. Even those of us who choose not to keep cars in the city still need to drive on freeways if we want to head to the wine country, for example, or Santa Cruz or skiing in the Sierra or anywhere outside the city. And the traffic has gotten so bad, I feel inhibited even from doing that and I don't like it. Public transit will never allow us to escape the city but the beautiful surrounding countryside and coast is one of the main attractions of the Bay Area . . . if you could get there without sitting in traffic for hours. With fewer routes in and out of town, it would be even less feasible to do the enjoyable things outside the city so I am opposed to removing the residual freeway system we have now even though I would oppose building any new freeways in SF neighborhoods.

Pedestrian
Feb 1, 2017, 5:39 AM
using BART as commuter rail isn't a good idea and the money BART hemorrhages servicing low density communities is evidence of this.

Why? Have you been in many empty BART trains lately? If the trains are full or nearly full, you can't blame the density of the communities served for BART's financial troubles whatever they are.

fimiak
Feb 1, 2017, 5:41 AM
Today.
http://i.imgur.com/EErbV0ql.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/faVXuial.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jqosudRl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FzhEd2Yl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sFKAsbQl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4k13KrLl.jpg
Look for the trees on Transbay Center!

Repost new page

ChargerCarl
Feb 1, 2017, 6:33 AM
Why? Have you been in many empty BART trains lately? If the trains are full or nearly full, you can't blame the density of the communities served for BART's financial troubles whatever they are.

BART trains are packed in SF and Oakland. Not so much outside of there.

ChargerCarl
Feb 1, 2017, 6:50 AM
I question how many people live in either LA or San Diego and work in the other or have business interests that involve both such as the Silicon Valley companies who use San Francisco law firms and/or Silican Valley executives who either have second homes in San Francisco or use San Francisco dining and cultural facilities and so on. SF and SJ are functionally one metro much more so, I think, than LA and San Diego--SF's football team plays much nearer to SJ after all--and needs public transit options that connect the two city centers.

Thats all well and good, but does it justify spending subway costs to extend a commuter rail service out to serve them? Probably not. Just electrify Caltrain.

And you call BART's "scope" untenable without even much of an explanation much less evidence to support such a judgement. BART was initially conceived as circumnavigating the Bay and uniting the cities surrounding the Bay, which it is now coming close to doing for the first time, and many people use segments of it to go from one suburb to another as well as to a city center. Basically, it runs full.

BART's ridership is at something like 0.7m per km of track. Thats pretty low.

If it loses money, it's not for lack of ridership

Uhh, yes it is?

but I also question whether it loses more money than most rail transit systems. I believe they all require subsidies.

Nope

I live in SF without a car but I am a member of Zipcar as well as using BART/Muni regularly. Even those of us who choose not to keep cars in the city still need to drive on freeways if we want to head to the wine country, for example, or Santa Cruz or skiing in the Sierra or anywhere outside the city. And the traffic has gotten so bad, I feel inhibited even from doing that and I don't like it. Public transit will never allow us to escape the city but the beautiful surrounding countryside and coast is one of the main attractions of the Bay Area . . . if you could get there without sitting in traffic for hours. With fewer routes in and out of town, it would be even less feasible to do the enjoyable things outside the city so I am opposed to removing the residual freeway system we have now even though I would oppose building any new freeways in SF neighborhoods.

Taking BART outside of SF/Oak isn't even an option for most people. It just doesn't serve many dense communities outside of those areas (because there really isn't any). You get dumped out into a massive, empty surface parking lot in a low rises suburb. Might as well just drive.

And this is what I mean by it's scope being untenable. Yes, it was designed as a commuter rail service to bring suburbanites to their offices in downtown SF, but the city isn't a strong enough CBD for the region to generate high enough ridership and yet its being extended even further at massive costs. The model that BART was built on is flawed.

This would be fine if we were also permitting a ton of TODs like Vancouver, but we all know Bay Area NIMBYs won't allow that.

jcacciotti
Feb 1, 2017, 3:42 PM
It's driving me crazy that the spire on 181 Fremont looks like it's tilted outward from the center of the tower axis. It's an optical illusion because of the shape of the thing but it still looks that way. :shrug:

I think the illusion is increased because the cladding on the spine below the spire is not yet in place, so it's kinda just hanging up there.

Pedestrian
Feb 1, 2017, 5:30 PM
Taking BART outside of SF/Oak isn't even an option for most people.

You live in some kind of alternate universe (called LA I guess). Over 2 decades ago I worked in Concord and reverse commuted on BART (when Concord was the end of the line). Even going in the opposite direction of the commute on the far reaches of the system, most seats were full (but admittedly, you could get a seat). And the parking lots were always full in Concord by 7:30 AM when I arrived--I read now you have to get there before the sun comes up to get a space in the suburban lots.

Although I no longer do that commute, everything I read about the BART system is that it is quite crowded. If the ridership per mile is not impressive, it must be because you can't pack more people into the cars (the new cars have fewer seats and more standing room apparently to remedy that somewhat), more suburban commuters into the lots at suburban stations or more trains on the tracks (I have read that is, indeed, an issue due to the capacity of the Bay tunnel).

Anyway, I'm done.

mt_climber13
Feb 1, 2017, 7:26 PM
Those pics of the new Transbay terminal got me thinking, does anyone know if the "mini- tower" on the Millennium site is also tilting and sinking, or just the large 60 story tower? Because if the other tower isn't sinking, wouldn't that put a hole in Millennium Partners' claim that the sinking is caused by the excavation of the Transbay Terminal?

SFView
Feb 1, 2017, 8:12 PM
^^^I believe it is just the tall heavy tower that is sinking.

SFView
Feb 1, 2017, 8:28 PM
Trump Hotels wants to expand to San Francisco

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/2017/1/26/14401514/trump-hotels-wants-toeexpand-to-san-francisco (http://sf.curbed.com/2017/1/26/14401514/trump-hotels-wants-to-expand-to-san-francisco)
City leaders guffawed after catching wind that Trump Hotels, one of the many private business entities conceived by our current Commander-in-Chief, wants to expand to San Francisco...

"You know on the same day that Donald Trump is on the national media on television talking about penalizing and taking money away from cities such as San Francisco — actually highlighting San Francisco — is the same day that his company comes out and says they want to build a hotel here? Good luck with that."

Quite fabulously, Supervisor Farrell goes on to note, “His hotels are incredibly ugly and gaudy. Why would we want that in the city of San Francisco?”

And seeing as how city projects are chronically killed due to the most benign of infractions (e.g., too colorful, too bold, too tall, too anything), Trump Hotels, no matter how tenuous a business connection to POTUS, would barely make it through our city’s impenetrable approval process...

Perhaps they should consider picking up were Palace Hotel left off with their tower proposal instead. Keep it known as the Palace Hotel Tower, since anything with Trump's name on it would likely not be welcomed in San Francisco.

If found another link to an related article here:
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/01/25/trump-hotels-considering-expansion-into-san-francisco/

Feb 2, 2017, 12:30 AM
Nice shot of 6x6 on Market Street:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/677/32518760671_9c3495aaea_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Rxz9Br)
6x6 - Market Street, San Francisco (https://flic.kr/p/Rxz9Br) by Sergio Ruiz (https://www.flickr.com/photos/sirgious/), on Flickr

http://6x6sf.com/

Anyone heard of potential tenants? Leased space?

tech12
Feb 2, 2017, 3:28 AM
Trump Hotels wants to expand to San Francisco

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/2017/1/26/14401514/trump-hotels-wants-toeexpand-to-san-francisco (http://sf.curbed.com/2017/1/26/14401514/trump-hotels-wants-to-expand-to-san-francisco)

Perhaps they should consider picking up were Palace Hotel left off with their tower proposal instead. Keep it known as the Palace Hotel Tower, since anything with Trump's name on it would likely not be welcomed in San Francisco.

If found another link to an related article here:
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/01/25/trump-hotels-considering-expansion-into-san-francisco/

Or how about we don't allow trump to build anything in SF, whether his name is on it or not.

Pedestrian
Feb 2, 2017, 3:40 AM
Or how about we don't allow trump to build anything in SF, whether his name is on it or not.

First of all, most "Trump" labelled properties just license his name and it's hard to figure why a hotel owner would consider the "Trump" brand worth paying for right now in a place like SF.

Second, it's quite possible--I would say even probable--that any Trump expansion to SF wouldn't involve new construction by the Trump organization but rather either renovation of an existing hotel (and rebranding) or a lease of space in an entitled project as Waldorf Astoria is doing in the Oceanwide Center. I don't see how the city could block either of those routes into the SF market (again, if anyone really sees "Trump" as a brand with value in our market).

Pedestrian
Feb 2, 2017, 3:48 AM
6x6 on Market Street

Anyone heard of potential tenants? Leased space?

All I've read is they have NO tenants which is very depressing considering I actually attended the Planning Commission hearings on this one and testified for it. But that was when Target was still looking for space and said to be interested in this project.

Their problem, of course, is they delayed too long and now every bricks/mortar retailer is in trouble and shrinking, not expanding. Just today the Wall Street Journal carried a story about H & M cutting way back on new stores they had planned.

I am afraid the problem is much bigger than 6 x 6 and we could see empty storefronts and retail space all over every big city in America.

mt_climber13
Feb 2, 2017, 3:55 AM
^True that, I would say 80% of my purchases outside of groceries come from Amazon or Overstock. Sad reality that retail is shrinking but we go where the savings (and convenience) are. If the church next to Dolores Park can be renovated to residential use, I'm sure that they could do the same for this project and other retail spaces if there was a sudden huge glut of empty commercial space.

SFView
Feb 2, 2017, 4:25 AM
...if anyone really sees "Trump" as a brand with value in our market).

...Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Trump’s Hotel Expansion Not Welcome In Cities That Voted Against Him
Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-hotels-expansion-unwelcome_us_58910b08e4b02772c4ea07d9

...“Donald Trump and the Trump Organization do not share San Francisco values, and I don’t believe San Francisco will ever allow a Trump Hotel in our city,” Farrell added.

London Breed, president of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, didn’t mince words in a statement rejecting the notion of a Trump hotel in the city, “Maybe we can set him up with a nice room in Alcatraz.”

In Austin, the city’s human rights commission voted, 8 to 2, in support of a nonbinding resolution calling on city officials to boycott Trump hotels and products. Austin Mayor Steve Adler has joined in protests against the president’s executive order temporarily halting refugee resettlements and banning citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries.

In a statement to HuffPost about a possible Trump hotel expansion in Austin, Adler said, “This isn’t surprising because Austin is the best city in America to start a business, but I’m not sure the way we do things in Austin is aligned with the Trump brand.”

Seattle’s socialist City Council member, Kshama Sawant, told HuffPost that the movement fighting Trump has declared a “ban on Donald Trump and the odious billionaires he is associated with.”

“Not only do we not welcome a Trump hotel, we will have a mass movement of resistance and civil disobedience if there’s any suggestion Trump, himself or the billionaires on his Cabinet visit Seattle,” she added.

Elected officials in other cities where the Trump Organization is planning its expansion have denounced the president and vowed to protect their constituents from his actions while not sharing specific opinions about the Trump Organization’s business plans.

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray has denounced the “authoritarian message” coming from the Trump administration on immigration. Denver Mayor Michael Hancock told a local news station that the country is better “than what we are showing right now.” Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings appeared before protesters at Dallas/Forth Worth International Airport to voice his displeasure with the president’s order that led to immigrants being detained at that airport and many others...

The most likely way that the Trump Organization will expand its hotel business is through licensing deals with other real estate developers. These deals would provide the Trump or Scion brand to other real estate developers who would in turn provide the capital and take on the debt to build and operate the hotel.

Trump’s unpopular standing in most cities where the company hopes to expand could create political problems for the developers they partner with. Many cities and municipalities offer preferential tax treatment through reduced hospitality taxes or tax-increment financing for new real estate developments. There are always other hotel companies and brands that won’t build a protest site in the middle of a city...

SFView
Feb 2, 2017, 9:13 PM
Plans for a Modern 200-Foot-Tall Hotel and Condo Tower Revealed
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2017/02/designs-for-a-modern-200-foot-tall-downtown-tower-revealed.html
http://www.socketsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/447-Battery-Street-Rendering.jpg
The designs for a modern 200-foot-tall hotel and condo building to rise at 447 Battery Street, a site which is currently occupied by the three-story Cort Furniture Rental building at the corner of Battery and Merchant, have been drawn and formally submitted to San Francisco’s Planning Department for approval.

As designed by Heller Manus Architects for the Montgomery Realty Group, the proposed 19-story building includes a total of 182 hotel rooms over a 4,700 square foot restaurant and an underground garage for 24 cars...

http://www.socketsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/447-Battery-Street-Rendering-Residential2.jpg

ozone
Feb 2, 2017, 9:34 PM
...Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Trump’s Hotel Expansion Not Welcome In Cities That Voted Against Him
Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-hotels-expansion-unwelcome_us_58910b08e4b02772c4ea07d9

Besides those who think slapping gold leaf on everything that doesn't move is "real classy" and people with "Daddy Warbucks Issues", who gives a flying fuk about Trump hotels?

Speaking of tacky hotels .... the 200-ft. proposed hotel/condo next to the Pyramid looks a little too Post Post-Modern Modern. But the area could use
jazz'n up. Need better renderings. I could do that on my TurboCAD.

Pedestrian
Feb 2, 2017, 9:56 PM
Speaking of tacky hotels .... the 200-ft. proposed hotel/condo next to the Pyramid looks a little too Post Post-Modern Modern. But the area could use
jazz'n up. Need better renderings. I could do that on my TurboCAD.

As someone pointed out in the comments to the article, the existing building on this site has some historical protections so I doubt the replacement will be built but we'll see.

I gave it a thread in the "proposed highrises" section when I saw the Socketsite piece earlier in any case because it's tall enough to qualify and maybe someting will come of it.

The Best Forumer
Feb 3, 2017, 5:36 PM
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2017/02/designs-for-a-modern-200-foot-tall-downtown-tower-revealed.html
http://www.socketsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/447-Battery-Street-Rendering.jpg

http://www.socketsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/447-Battery-Street-Rendering-Residential2.jpg

What;s with the setback? Looks like NYC in the 70's. Ugh.

iamfishhead
Feb 3, 2017, 6:23 PM

I do really like the facade on this one.

SFView
Feb 3, 2017, 8:52 PM
What;s with the setback? Looks like NYC in the 70's. Ugh.

Maybe their trying to keep this portion of the building hidden behind the Immigration Building from the Telegraph Hill Dwellers?

Pedestrian
Feb 3, 2017, 8:55 PM
^^ Progressive set-backs like that create large terraces.

SFView
Feb 3, 2017, 8:57 PM
I think the sloped top looks a bit awkward with the rest of the building. At least it won't be too visible, unless you're looking from a neighboring highrise.

Feb 5, 2017, 5:51 PM
This planning department document (http://transbaycenter.org/uploads/2016/11/Agenda-Item-No.-9-Transit-Center-District-Updates-by-Planning-and-OCII.pdf) from November 2016 seems to show an updated rendering of Parcel F. I know a more 'rounded' version was discussed and this looks to be exactly that.

It also shows the Renzo Piano tower at 555 Howard and a new rendering of the soon to be under construction tower ("March 2017") by Studio Gang at block 1.

And speaking of 555 Howard, it looks like Langham Hospitality will be the hotel operator:

Langham Place, San Francisco will be located at 555 Howard Street across from the Transbay Transit Center. The Transbay Transit Center promises to become the “Grand Central Station of the West”, redefining the epicenter of the CBD in San Francisco, the world’s technology powerhouse. Langham Hotels and Resorts will bring a full-service luxury hotel to the development as of 2020.
http://www.langhamhospitalitygroup.com/

a very long weekend
Feb 5, 2017, 8:24 PM
^ nice find. i didn't even know about 555 howard, looks like it'll take down all three of these (https://goo.gl/maps/4rt46cPHjUw).

Feb 5, 2017, 9:04 PM
^ nice find. i didn't even know about 555 howard, looks like it'll take down all three of these (https://goo.gl/maps/4rt46cPHjUw).

According to Socketsite, 557 Howard will remain:

Plans to raze the two two-story buildings at 547 and 555 Howard Street and build a 36-story tower rising up to 380-feet in height across the site have been drafted and submitted to San Francisco’s Planning Department. And as proposed, the tower would be cantilevered over the adjacent two-story building occupied by The Melt at 557 Howard as well.
Source (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2015/08/380-foot-tower-designed-to-rise-over-a-two-story-building-downtown.html)

cwilly
Feb 6, 2017, 10:02 PM
From left to right, the steel going up for the below market rate component of Block 6/7, the excavation for 400 Folsom, the more advanced excation for 500 Folsom, and finally 33 Tehama.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/418/32753234285_1dc41d9392_b.jpg

Pedestrian
Feb 6, 2017, 11:18 PM
^^I wonder if the people who own in The Metropolitan, who used to be kings of the (Rincon) Hill, so to speak, but are now surrounded by buildings that dwarf theirs, feel bad. I know they unsuccessfully sued to stop at least one of them.

edwards
Feb 7, 2017, 3:03 AM
Have any SF/Bay Area locals on here ever thought of doing a Meetup (http://meetup.com)-style group for architecture/urban development? PM me so I can get a sense of how many might be interested.

Pedestrian
Feb 7, 2017, 8:11 AM

Or maybe its personnel policies have more to do with it:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/BART-janitor-pay-270000-Powell-St-questions-10911932.php

The most interesting thing here may not be the $162,000 of overtime but the fact that the base salary for a BART janitor was apparently $109,000 per year.

timbad
Feb 7, 2017, 8:43 AM
various things, from Saturday...

from Dolores Park

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/654/31897540414_0338a76b98_b.jpg

the Ringold Alley side of the large project on 8th and Harrison. I had hope that at least the alley would turn out OK, but the facades here, as over pretty much the whole project, are about the blandest I have seen anywhere. (and my pet peeve, they left the telephone poles, really?) a disappointment. they're not quite done, so I am holding out slim hope that there will some redeeming finishings, we'll see.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/626/31897543524_12fb0a2492_b.jpg

Folsom and Rausch

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/363/31897548314_661d594e4b_b.jpg

and FINALLY, the project at Sixth and Howard is losing its shroud! looking north up Sixth

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/420/32617071071_8920be1bb9_b.jpg

closer

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/466/32740686045_2800269baa_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/557/31897551004_0389df42d5_b.jpg

not much different than the previous photo, but the Transbay block north of Solaire

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/586/32617075391_aba02489d4_b.jpg

with more context and other projects

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/487/32617077741_e699555370_b.jpg

from further back along Folsom

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/366/32700110896_7927ec7835_b.jpg

South Park is getting there...looking west

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/528/32617082801_48c05a478c_b.jpg

and east

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/270/32617080251_4bcbae606c_b.jpg

Pedestrian
Feb 7, 2017, 7:31 PM
LGBTQ "activisits" got their bribe and now:

Mid-Market project a step closer with transgender district deal
By J.K. Dineen, San Francisco Chronicle
January 30, 2017 Updated: January 31, 2017 9:25am

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/56/66/51/12282465/3/920x1240.jpg

The large San Francisco hotel and condominium complex proposed for 950 Market St. is set to move forward after the developer reached an agreement with a coalition of LGBTQ activists who had opposed the project.

On Monday, developer Group I agreed to pay $300,000 into a fund that will be used to establish a transgender community center, to create a transgender historic and cultural district, and to support transgender-serving businesses and nonprofits in the district.

The Mayor’s Office of Economic and Workforce Development will administer the fund, with a board of directors made up of community members . . . .
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Mid-market-project-step-closer-with-transgender-10895410.php

botoxic
Feb 7, 2017, 10:11 PM
SF FiDi & SoMa from space:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4F-F3yVYAA0E9b.jpg:large
@benreardon (https://twitter.com/benreardon) on Twitter (https://twitter.com/benreardon/status/829084478949593088)

Pedestrian
Feb 9, 2017, 6:09 AM
the Renzo Piano tower at 555 Howard . . . . speaking of 555 Howard, it looks like Langham Hospitality will be the hotel operator:

http://www.langhamhospitalitygroup.com/

Since we now have a good rendering of this project--and talking about "blocky", boy is this "blocky"--I started a thread for it since a search didn't reveal an existing one to me.

timbad
Feb 11, 2017, 4:35 PM
in case anyone missed it, Hoodline reports (http://hoodline.com/2017/02/demolition-of-church-market-s-home-restaurant-nears-completion) that the former Home Restaurant on the corner of Church and Market has been demolished. to make way for this (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2016/06/the-rerefined-plans-for-razing-home-and-60-apartments-to-rise.html):

https://hoodwork-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/story/image/26410/2100-Market-Rendering-2016-v2.jpg

mt_climber13
Feb 11, 2017, 5:47 PM
^Nice! The fried chicken and comfort food at Home was awesome though. It's now a cess pool in a prime corner, so build, build, build. Though buildings on a major subway line in a major American city should be at least 20 stories.

Pedestrian
Feb 11, 2017, 8:10 PM
A historically huge wave of new offices is about to crest in San Francisco
Jan 26, 2017, 1:37pm PST Updated Jan 31, 2017, 10:38am PST

Roland Li
Reporter San Francisco Business Times

San Francisco will see more new office space in 2017 than at any time in the past three decades. More than 3 million square feet, including the city’s tallest new building, Salesforce Tower, will provide a big dose of new supply, twice the amount delivered in 2016.

Whether the city is thirsty for all that space remains to be seen.

Optimists point to the 40 percent of that pipeline that is already pre-leased, with heavy representation by the tech industry. Salesforce will occupy about half of its namesake, 1.4 million-square-foot tower. Tech companies Pinterest and Stripe have each fully leased a new building opening South of Market. Amazon.com’s gaming site Twitch has committed to about half of 350 Bush St., the only new tower arriving in the North Financial District . . . .

Skeptics think . . . the burst of space is almost certain to raise the vacancy rate in a market where rents have been largely flat for the last year and sublease space – typically a sign of a weakening market – was on the rise for most of 2016. So were landlord concessions like tenant improvement subsidies and free months of rent.

“Job creation is slowing by about half,” said Ken Rosen, chair of the University of California, Berkeley Haas Business School’s Fisher Center for Real Estate and Urban Economics. “The day of reckoning is coming” . . . .

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a7dc30b3127cceee03d3b5942f00000030O00Acsmblw0ZsmIPbz4W/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00102348932920170211201013292.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2017/01/26/san-francisco-office-construction-real-estate.html

You gotta wonder about projects like Park Tower . . .

viewguysf
Feb 11, 2017, 9:36 PM
^Nice! The fried chicken and comfort food at Home was awesome though. It's now a cess pool in a prime corner, so build, build, build. Though buildings on a major subway line in a major American city should be at least 20 stories.

Highrises in the Castro area have been discussed many times previously and most of us don't want them here. This new building fits in well with everything on 14th, Market, and Church. There will eventually be significant development across the street on the huge Safeway lot.

Have you tried getting onto Metro at the Church station during any peak period? It's difficult, especially since cars are often packed in the downtown direction after leaving Castro. It isn't only during traditional commuter rush hours; it's also during Giants games, other events at AT&T Park, demonstrations at Civic Center, whatever. Yes, the Metro and other transit is being improved with new cars, longer trains eventually, etc., but it's fairly maxed out now as it is.

ozone
Feb 12, 2017, 12:13 AM
in case anyone missed it, Hoodline reports (http://hoodline.com/2017/02/demolition-of-church-market-s-home-restaurant-nears-completion) that the former Home Restaurant on the corner of Church and Market has been demolished. to make way for this (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2016/06/the-rerefined-plans-for-razing-home-and-60-apartments-to-rise.html):

https://hoodwork-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/story/image/26410/2100-Market-Rendering-2016-v2.jpg

:tup:
I miss the old Home Restaurant... said nobody.

Pedestrian
Feb 12, 2017, 1:14 AM
I miss the old Home Restaurant... said nobody.

I believe wakemesalad said he enjoyed the comfort food and fried chicken and presumably he misses it.

pseudolus
Feb 12, 2017, 1:58 AM
I believe wakemesalad said he enjoyed the comfort food and fried chicken and presumably he misses it.

"Several of the incarnations of restaurants at 2100 Market Street have included gay bars attached to it.

From 1974 to 1976, the 24-hour diner Truck Stop included a gay bar called the Rear End Bar, which reportedly attracted an attractive clientele. Then from 1977 to sometime in the 1990s, the restaurant was Church Street Station and its bar, Hideaway, was apparently popular with drag queens."

http://www.sfgayhistory.com/neighborhoods/castro/former-castro-gay-bars/2100-market-street/

Pedestrian
Feb 12, 2017, 7:22 AM
^^In as much as my first SF memories date from 1976, I will always remember it as Church Street Station (but only from outside--never went inside in all the years it was there and in spite of being a fairly frequent customer of several other resturants in the 'hood and, of course, the Safeway (and Blockbuster Video and the produce market nearby on Church St., though never the cannabis dispensary).

homebucket
Feb 13, 2017, 4:49 AM
A look at the impact of the new towers on the overall skyline. Taken yesterday.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2448/32748929471_b9231b3ca2_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/RTUPM2)

Pedestrian
Feb 13, 2017, 6:46 PM
Yet more evidence this development cycle is winding down: Pipeline of Residential Development in San Francisco Slips (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2017/02/san-franciscos-pipeline-of-new-apartments-and-condos-slips.html)

"newly proposed development in San Francisco has dropped to a four-year low."

fimiak
Feb 13, 2017, 10:07 PM
Oceanwide Center
http://i.imgur.com/fnm1EBah.jpg (http://imgur.com/fnm1EBa)

Salesforce Tower (slightly distorted pano)
http://i.imgur.com/by7Vbosh.jpg (http://imgur.com/by7Vbos)

Feb 14, 2017, 6:33 AM
Great view of the roof landscaping at the TBT - this is going to be beautiful:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2300/32511728840_8753c036d2_b.jpg (https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2300/32511728840_8753c036d2_b.jpgunder construction by hanoi_hoang, on Flickr)
under construction (https://flic.kr/p/RwX7hY) by hanoi_hoang (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hanoi_hoang/), on Flickr

ConstructDTLA
Feb 14, 2017, 6:58 AM
Great view of the roof landscaping at the TBT - this is going to be beautiful:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2300/32511728840_8753c036d2_b.jpg (https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2300/32511728840_8753c036d2_b.jpgunder construction by hanoi_hoang, on Flickr)
under construction (https://flic.kr/p/RwX7hY) by hanoi_hoang (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hanoi_hoang/), on Flickr

Looks incredible. Here are a few pics I took last weekend. SF is hopping, a true urban tourist destination.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/519/32739507312_cfbb31c465_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/RT5wU1)Salesforce Tower (https://flic.kr/p/RT5wU1) by Hunter (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hunterkerhart/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/531/32078167463_778866eb2e_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QSCZAP)Salesforce Tower (https://flic.kr/p/QSCZAP) by Hunter (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hunterkerhart/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/434/32512756290_6c05749948_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Rx3nHC)Salesforce Tower (https://flic.kr/p/Rx3nHC) by Hunter (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hunterkerhart/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2100/32078168763_22e4d9c27e_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QSCZZe)Salesforce Tower (https://flic.kr/p/QSCZZe) by Hunter (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hunterkerhart/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/634/32078169323_7de4774d4c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QSD19T)Salesforce Tower (https://flic.kr/p/QSD19T) by Hunter (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hunterkerhart/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2405/32078172503_104af4e6e7_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QSD26H)Salesforce Tower (https://flic.kr/p/QSD26H) by Hunter (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hunterkerhart/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2588/32739506762_2b891701fc_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/RT5wJw)Salesforce Tower (https://flic.kr/p/RT5wJw) by Hunter (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hunterkerhart/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2385/32078171823_f01509c139_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QSD1TZ)Salesforce Tower (https://flic.kr/p/QSD1TZ) by Hunter (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hunterkerhart/), on Flickr

viewguysf
Feb 14, 2017, 7:47 AM
I took these almost three weeks ago, but let's add 181 into the mix. ;)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3717/32739968862_a5d68bc251_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/RT7U6L)IMG_1828 (https://flic.kr/p/RT7U6L) by viewguysf (https://www.flickr.com/photos/viewguysf/), on Flickr

and the other kids on the block...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2752/32739967252_f57da4c61f_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/RT7TC1)IMG_1825 (https://flic.kr/p/RT7TC1) by viewguysf (https://www.flickr.com/photos/viewguysf/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/443/32893406355_c16c58a6a7_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/S7FiHM)IMG_1808 (https://flic.kr/p/S7FiHM) by viewguysf (https://www.flickr.com/photos/viewguysf/), on Flickr

viewguysf
Feb 14, 2017, 7:58 AM
Meanwhile, the Temporary Transbay Terminal sits next to our new Rincon Hill area

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2129/32893407025_a7832512d2_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/S7FiVk)Rincon Hill area from the Temporary Transbay Terminal (https://flic.kr/p/S7FiVk) by viewguysf (https://www.flickr.com/photos/viewguysf/), on Flickr

mt_climber13
Feb 14, 2017, 5:08 PM
Yet more evidence this development cycle is winding down: Pipeline of Residential Development in San Francisco Slips (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2017/02/san-franciscos-pipeline-of-new-apartments-and-condos-slips.html)

"newly proposed development in San Francisco has dropped to a four-year low."

voters in SF passed prop C last year that doubled the requirement of units that developers must build or pay for affordable housing. This might have something to do with it, as projects don't pencil out as well, and another example of piecemeal market manipulation at the ballot box which reduces housing supply and drives costs further up.. especially since NIMBYs are challenging the California law that allows for increase in density in exchange for more affordable units built in a project. SF has been legislating housing costs for decades and the result? Most expensive housing in the country.

Pedestrian
Feb 14, 2017, 6:44 PM
^^ Maybe or maybe not a coincidence you should mention it but:

SF’s Affordable Housing Recommendations and Dissent
February 13, 2017

. . . Proposition C also raised the income threshold for the designated affordable units, allowing roughly half the required below market rate units to be priced as affordable to middle-income households making up to 100 percent of the Area Median Income (AMI) for rental units or 120 percent of the AMI for condos.

In addition, the Proposition granted the City the right to alter the required percentage of BMR units based on recommendations from San Francisco’s Controller. And this afternoon, the Office of the Controller released its final report and recommendations, which included a strongly worded letter of dissent from a quarter of the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) members appointed by the Mayor and Board of Supervisors.

The Office of the Controller’s final recommendations and percentages:

The City should impose different inclusionary housing requirements on rental and for-sale (condominium) properties.
The City should set the initial onsite requirements from 14%-18% for rental projects and 17%-20% for ownership projects.
The City should set the Fee Option at 18-23% for Rental, 25-28% for Ownership to maintain equivalence with previous on-site recommendations. These percentages are based on [Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development’s] 2016 Fee schedule, and should be modified accordingly if MOHCD adjusts its fee schedule in the future.
The City should commit to a 15-year schedule of increases to the inclusionary housing rate of 0.5% per year
The City should impose additional affordability requirements for any 80/20 project financed through the City’s financing approval process.
Consistent with current practice for any project to which inclusionary requirements apply, the City should allow projects that are utilizing the State Density Bonus to combine provision of onsite units for the base portion of the project with payment of the fee for bonus portion of the project.
The Controller and TAC should reconvene in 3 years to reconsider feasibility, density bonus, and other issues, and produce an updated report.
And from the summary of dissent from TAC members and local affordable housing developers, John Elberling (TODCO) and Whitney Jones (Chinatown Community Development Corporation), who advocated for higher percentages of affordable housing and challenged the report’s methodology and appropriateness:

“…it should come as no surprise that a TAC process composed of 5 for-profit housing developers/financiers, 1 mega-national nonprofit developer, and 2 San Francisco community affordable housing developers finally voted 6-2 to recommend the Alternative that…(1) maximizes windfall profits for developers/land owners from the new State Density Bonus Law, [and] (2) provides the least Affordable Inclusionary Housing for the people of our City.”
San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors will now be tasked with either adopting or challenging the Office of the Controller’s recommendations.

http://www.socketsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Inclusionary-Housing-Recommendations-2017-3.png

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2017/02/the-citys-inclusionary-housing-recommendations-and-recorded-dissent.html

SLO
Feb 14, 2017, 7:45 PM
Meanwhile, the Temporary Transbay Terminal sits next to our new Rincon Hill area

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2129/32893407025_a7832512d2_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/S7FiVk)Rincon Hill area from the Temporary Transbay Terminal (https://flic.kr/p/S7FiVk) by viewguysf (https://www.flickr.com/photos/viewguysf/), on Flickr

Great shots, thanks for the updates.

Are there plans for the Temporary Terminal property?

viewguysf
Feb 14, 2017, 7:57 PM
voters in SF passed prop C last year that doubled the requirement of units that developers must build or pay for affordable housing. This might have something to do with it, as projects don't pencil out as well, and another example of piecemeal market manipulation at the ballot box which reduces housing supply and drives costs further up.. especially since NIMBYs are challenging the California law that allows for increase in density in exchange for more affordable units built in a project. SF has been legislating housing costs for decades and the result? Most expensive housing in the country.

I attended my political club meeting last night with three supervisors (including President London Breed) speaking. It was a very positive event, with all of them committing to be data driven in order to actually produce more housing, particularly for the working middle class. A majority of the Board plus Mayor Lee are onboard with following the Controller's recommendations.

San Francisco is in good political shape now, as is California. The elephant in the picture is back in Washington.

viewguysf
Feb 14, 2017, 8:03 PM
Great shots, thanks for the updates.
Are there plans for the Temporary Terminal property?

Thanks...it's good to see again how far we have come, plus 45 Lansing was thankfully not in that shot.

I'm not sure if this has been further updated, but here you go.

http://sf.curbed.com/2013/8/15/10208328/whats-going-to-happen-to-the-temporary-transbay-terminal

Pedestrian
Feb 14, 2017, 9:25 PM
The park etc can be seen here in context:

http://www.parktowerattransbay.com/uploads/primary/Block5Aerial_a02_0423_1.jpg
http://www.parktowerattransbay.com/uploads/primary/Block5Aerial_a02_0423_1.jpg

a very long weekend
Feb 15, 2017, 8:02 AM
^ man, that's an expert rendering job. only problem for me, aside from missing a few buildings, is that they have that old green park space on howard street between 2nd and 1st on the TBT side of the bus overpass thing. first of all, there's an active development proposed on the 1st street side. second of all, it's nigh inconceivable that the caltrain/tbt authority will be able to buy/eminent domain that block to do a cut/cover job there and provide SF with a totally unneeded park at the expense of the near perfectly preserved 2nd street strip. won't happen.

so, better just to render what's actually there.

/rant

Pedestrian
Feb 15, 2017, 3:23 PM
^^Like nearly all renderings, it has some minor issues. For me it was that they seem to show the 300 ft version of Jean Gang's tower rather than the now-approved 400 ft version and, of course, the missing 900 ft building on the Howard St. side of the Transbay Terminal. But it's aboit as complete as any attempt I've seen to show all the new buildings on one image.

Maybe one of our "experts" can play with it and "fix" the most glaring shortcomings and make it near perfect.

Pedestrian
Feb 18, 2017, 2:24 AM
I like this Tenderloin infill project:

Bigger Plans to Transform a Tenderloin Block and Iconic Eats
February 17, 2017

The Fifth Church of Christ, Scientist has been working on plans to redevelop the Tenderloin parcel upon which their 27,000-square-foot church sits . . . .

. . . the columned façade, bronze doors and oculus of the existing church are now proposed to be preserved, behind and adjacent to which a 237,000 square foot development will rise up to 13 stories in height, with a new 14,000 square foot Church; 6,200 square feet of restaurant/retail space; and 176 apartments over a basement garage for 41 cars with its entrance off Sharon Street.

. . . designed by Kwan Henmi, the proposed development now includes the parcel at 532 Jones Street as well, upon which the iconic Tenderloin restaurant Shalimar currently sits, with plans for an eight-story spur and new neighborhood restaurant space connecting to the bulk of the development behind.

. . . will require a detailed Environmental Impact Report (EIR) . . . .

(As is)
http://www.socketsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/450-OFarrell-Street.jpg

(To be)
http://www.socketsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/450-OFarrell-Street-Rendering-2017.jpg

http://www.socketsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/450-OFarrell-Street-Rendering-2017-Aerial-SE.jpg

http://www.socketsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/450-OFarrell-Street-Rendering-2017-Jones.jpg

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2017/02/bigger-plans-to-transform-a-tenderloin-block-and-iconic-eats.html

timbad
Feb 18, 2017, 11:04 PM
you kind of have to look closely, but I noticed some activity on the southern slope of Potrero Hill from Caltrain the other day...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2060/32978331265_fe8fc30d52_b.jpg

... and sure enough, Rebuild Potrero has finally gotten underway (http://www.rebuildpotrero.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/RP-Newletter-Jan-2017.pdf)

here with more context

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/685/32978333675_25655ac7a3_b.jpg

http://www.rebuildpotrero.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/20150406-PHASING_image.jpg source (http://www.rebuildpotrero.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/20150406-PHASING_image.jpg)

timbad
Feb 18, 2017, 11:23 PM
random other things...

the office building on Townsend and about Sixth

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/482/32978323855_3d0fc46e9a_b.jpg

100 Hooper

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2358/32978327015_612a027324_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2478/32978329345_75167df4de_b.jpg

from last week now...

the monstrosity on Harrison at Eighth

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2923/32718116132_1c6bd171f0_b.jpg

office building at Brannan and approx Fourth

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2532/32748168211_3e462079b6_b.jpg

the view east down 22nd St toward the Caltrain station (from what will be the northern edge of Rebuild Potrero, Phase 3, and the top of the grand stair associated with a project adjacent to, but not part of, Rebuild Potrero):

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2129/32718104582_c7e8a22dd4_b.jpg

the skyline with Esprit Park

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3718/32490473620_57b24c165e_b.jpg

pseudolus
Feb 19, 2017, 1:05 AM
random other things...

Thanks yet again, timbad. You're the thread's MVP.

timbad
Feb 19, 2017, 5:56 AM
Thanks yet again, timbad. You're the thread's MVP.

very nice of you to say, thanks. I enjoy this site and appreciate the contributors, and miss some of the big voices we have lost from these pages over the years.

viewguysf
Feb 19, 2017, 9:35 AM
very nice of you to say, thanks. I enjoy this site and appreciate the contributors, and miss some of the big voices we have lost from these pages over the years.

I do too and wonder where they are. Yes, you are our steadfast contributor and I'm also glad you're still here.

SFView
Feb 19, 2017, 10:21 PM
I do too and wonder where they are. Yes, you are our steadfast contributor and I'm also glad you're still here.

Other than being banned, it could be that some fellow forumers have become too busy with work, school, family, friends, other hobbies and interests, or they are out of the Bay Area, etc. I can't always be here myself, due to some of those reasons.

Pedestrian
Feb 19, 2017, 11:17 PM
^^Who you looking for?

timbad
Feb 20, 2017, 6:21 AM
different views of the Moscone work... east down Howard:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3922/32624369740_0db3e78c3f_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2545/32624361020_c7d6467c1e_b.jpg

north down Third:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/289/32190838513_7b05c55f6f_b.jpg

skyline from Indiana St in Dogpatch

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2949/32624399250_bbcf516f56_b.jpg

looking south up Indiana

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2037/32624346740_93dcb566a7_b.jpg

botoxic
Feb 21, 2017, 5:05 PM
I like pictures where SF is showing quite a bit of skin.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3920/32984560135_54282ae3cf_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/SfJuyF)
San Francisco (https://flic.kr/p/SfJuyF) by Sergio Ruiz (https://www.flickr.com/photos/sirgious/), on Flickr

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5NKCzAWYAACSp2.jpg
@PCPArch (https://twitter.com/PCPArch) on Twitter (https://twitter.com/PCPArch/status/834110932351606785)

Pedestrian
Feb 21, 2017, 8:38 PM
Sign the petition to restore funding for CalTrain electrification: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/support-9600-american-jobs-tell-fta-approve-funding-caltrain-electrification

SFView
Feb 21, 2017, 11:37 PM
Mapping the 19 high-rises under construction in San Francisco right now

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/maps/tower-highrise-construction-map-sfhttp://

San Francisco's dense skyline is growing again in 2017, as the city anticipates the completion of some towers long under construction and the emerging profile of others underway. From the Salesforce Tower and 181 Fremont in Yerba Buena to Exchange Place on the edge of Chinatown and the future home of Pinterest at 505 Brannan, the new crop of high-rises promises to be fruitful this year.

To make the cut, a building must be eight or more stories when completed. Towers must have broken ground already or be on the verge of doing so within the next few months. Map points are listed here by building height, from tallest to shortest—or more precisely, from what will soon be the tallest and the shortest.

timbad
Feb 22, 2017, 7:35 AM
Mapping the 19 high-rises under construction in San Francisco right now

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/maps/tower-highrise-construction-map-sf

the link didn't work for me; think I fixed it here.

interesting that curbed must not think that 100 Folsom is 'on the verge of [breaking ground] within the next few months', since they didn't include it

viewguysf
Feb 22, 2017, 9:14 AM
interesting that curbed must not think that 100 Folsom is 'on the verge of [breaking ground] within the next few months', since they didn't include it

More importantly, they failed to mention the second Oceanwide Center tower on Mission. On the quibbling side, the taller tower is supposed to be 910' and 706 Mission will be 510'.

SFView
Feb 22, 2017, 10:18 AM

Thanks for fixing that. I didn't realize it was either no longer working, or I accidentally placed the wrong link. ...Oh, I see I didn't delete the extra "http://," after pasting the link in. Sorry about that.

observatory
Feb 22, 2017, 8:44 PM
More importantly, they failed to mention the second Oceanwide Center tower on Mission. On the quibbling side, the taller tower is supposed to be 910' and 706 Mission will be 510'.

I believe the 2nd (shorter) Oceanwide Center tower will be 610' and not 510'. I know it was probably a typo. (Actually the thread heading states the height at 636' - so even better!)

viewguysf
Feb 22, 2017, 9:34 PM
I believe the 2nd (shorter) Oceanwide Center tower will be 610' and not 510'. I know it was probably a typo. (Actually the thread heading states the height at 636' - so even better!)

I was referring to the Mexican Museum tower at Yerba Buena, not Oceanwide's second tower in the 500 block of Mission, so, even better yet!

Pedestrian
Feb 23, 2017, 12:12 AM
I was referring to the Mexican Museum tower at Yerba Buena, not Oceanwide's second tower in the 500 block of Mission, so, even better yet!

Yup, they are 2 blocks apart on Mission; one at 1st St and the other at 3rd.

coyotetrickster
Feb 23, 2017, 4:25 PM

The Jean Gang tower is listed. It's callled Folsom Bay Tower, not 100 Folsom in the list.

homebucket
Feb 23, 2017, 6:22 PM
New renderings for the Renzo Piano building (555 Howard)!

Designs released for 36-story Renzo Piano hotel in Transbay
Italian architect promised landmark on a smaller scale for site
BY ADAM BRINKLOW FEB 23, 2017, 9:00AM PST

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/vbJ4iUxFIcKk7r9aerCJViJ_qd8=/400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8032471/howard.jpg

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/e8ZCJLV9C0XaVLuRTii5ucpIpAc=/1000x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8032429/howard2.jpg

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4d2VLEL7MGNEqae8_NNH2lxqPgc=/600x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8032451/howard7.jpg

http://sf.curbed.com/2017/2/23/14711646/renzo-piano-555-howard-renderings

viewguysf
Feb 23, 2017, 6:48 PM
The Jean Gang tower is listed. It's callled Folsom Bay Tower, not 100 Folsom in the list.

It's listed now, changing the article from 19 to 20 structures, after they realized their omission. The second Oceanwide Center tower is still missing and needs to be included.

timbad
Feb 26, 2017, 8:23 AM
skyline from San Bruno Mountain

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2892/33122480555_613cb56862_b.jpg

timbad
Feb 27, 2017, 5:24 AM
various...

skyline as seen through rising rebar trunks at 100 Hooper site

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2776/33012897071_6315252a30_b.jpg

the corner of Sixth and Howard. I guess this one was worth the wait

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3923/32757384480_5c2890e05d_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3838/32757381490_9f01c9c49c_b.jpg

Folsom at Fifth

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2511/32757378830_c1531d4c96_b.jpg

from Yerba Buena Gardens children's area, the Moscone construction as well as new participants in the sky panorama

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2878/33098567086_6d3dc5c37b_b.jpg

more Moscone construction, on Howard

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/592/32294543044_75f8987731_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/673/32297020414_f2feec047e_b.jpg

between Lumina and the MTC building (http://mtc.ca.gov/whats-happening/news/mtc-prepares-move-new-san-francisco-headquarters), the passageway is finally showing some hints of what it will feel like, with a ramp down and a tree line

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/701/33140106475_2e81b008fe_b.jpg

South Beach skyline

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2915/32294493334_07dc33d9ee_b.jpg

looking south down on the Schlage Lock site (with Bayshore Caltrain station and Brisbane Baylands (http://brisbanebaylands.com/plan/) in the distance). I haven't noticed any new activity there from the train recently, but from this vantage point I could see that the wall they constructed a while back seems intended to make the site accessible from the street level (Bayshore Blvd and Blanken Ave) where this pic was taken.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3694/33122482395_5e0f9598c5_b.jpg

Pedestrian
Feb 27, 2017, 7:34 PM
Popular Mid-Market housing proposals wait years for OK
By J.K. Dineen, San Francisco Chronicle
February 18, 2017 Updated: February 18, 2017 2:54pm

(1028 Market St.) is among several the city hopes will help revive the long-struggling stretch of central Market Street between Fifth and Seventh streets. Others are 950 Market St., which will have a 232-room hotel plus 242 condos, and 1066 Market, set to hold 304 apartments.

. . . all three are set to start construction in 2017 . . . .

While 1028 Market St. had to undergo a full-blown environmental study because it’s part of a historic district, the developers of both 1066 Market St. and 950 Market St. spent months hammering out affordable housing deals with neighborhood groups. In the end both developers ended up buying separate Tenderloin parcels and donating them to the city for low-income housing.

. . . since the initial frenzy of activity, key projects have lagged. Two hotel projects at Market and Seventh streets, Proper and Yotel, have taken upward of two years longer than expected, although both are set to open this year. The $150 million, six-story retail building near of Sixth and Market, now called 6X6, is nearing completion but has yet to land a tenant . . . .

. . . for all the delays, the housing production is revving up again on Market Street. Excavation recently started at 1554 Market St., where 109 units will rise. And at 1075 Market St. work is under way on a 90-unit condo development, which will be Mid-Market’s first project with for-sale units. Developer Robert Huggins of Encore Capital Management said the foundation has been poured and “you’ll see it coming out of the ground pretty quick.”

. . . demolition is scheduled to take place this spring on 950 Market, with 1066 Market St. about six months behind . . . .

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Popular-Mid-Market-housing-proposals-wait-years-10942970.php?t=4822a61e25

L.ARCH
Feb 27, 2017, 9:21 PM
Construction fencing is up surrounding the parking lot next to Sullivan's funeral home (2254 market). Looks like this one is about to get started :cheers:

http://sf.curbed.com/2015/2/26/9986938/designs-unveiled-for-housing-at-sullivans-funeral-home-site

pseudolus
Feb 27, 2017, 10:51 PM
Construction fencing is up surrounding the parking lot next to Sullivan's funeral home (2254 market). Looks like this one is about to get started :cheers:

http://sf.curbed.com/2015/2/26/9986938/designs-unveiled-for-housing-at-sullivans-funeral-home-site

It doesn't look like any building permits have been requested.

http://propertymap.sfplanning.org?search=2254+market

fimiak
Feb 28, 2017, 4:23 AM
Haven't seen this before. Moscone Center Webcam (http://webcampub.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.embed&WebcamPublicEmbedUID=AB482E7E-E85B-40C6-A683-E07A446AF54D)

Pedestrian
Feb 28, 2017, 6:23 PM
Hong Kong developer's Lower Polk condo project starts sales, reveals pricing
Feb 27, 2017, 7:32am PST Updated Feb 27, 2017, 9:50am PST
Roland Li
Reporter, San Francisco Business Times

Developer Pacific Eagle's The Austin condo project launched sales on Monday, bringing 100 homes to San Francisco's supply constrained Lower Polk neighborhood.

The project at 1545 Pine St. includes studios, one- and two-bedrooms in a 12-story tower.

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a7dc09b3127cceee2ca03a71fe00000030O00Acsmblw0ZsmIPbz4W/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00102348932920170228182141203.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

The condo prices and unit sizes are:

Studios from 420 square feet, priced from the mid-$600,000s
Junior one-bedrooms from 630 square feet, priced from the high $600,000s
One-bedrooms from 536 square feet to 992 square feet, priced from the low $700,000s
Two-bedrooms from 1,070 square feet to 1400 square feet, priced from $1.3 million and up . . . .
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2017/02/27/san-francisco-pacific-eagle-lower-polk-condo-sales.html?ana=e_bay_real&s=newsletter&ed=2017-02-28&u=kgyD14TZJI3FvbdA37c%2FluRxObP&t=1488305506&j=77513431

Mar 1, 2017, 6:24 AM
This was taken from an Arch Daily article (http://www.archdaily.com/806227/renzo-piano-designs-36-story-hotel-and-apartment-tower-in-san-francisco?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=58b64ac704d30176dff66a91&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter) about the new Renzo Piano tower - It's missing a few towers, but is a pretty nice and up to date rendering of the future of Transbay and Rincon Hill.

http://images.adsttc.com/media/images/58b4/5099/e58e/ced7/8400/002b/slideshow/7.jpg?1488212111
http://www.archdaily.com/

Pedestrian
Mar 3, 2017, 12:07 AM
Pier 29 design, delayed by activists, moves ahead
Renovation and retail project finally gets hearing
BY ADAM BRINKLOW MAR 2, 2017, 12:43PM PST

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/nc6Zs2rzecOfDL6NExB7ZPzp5I4=/0x0:2144x1291/920x613/filters:focal(901x475:1243x817)/cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/53504917/tony_webster.1488487407.jpg

In April of 2016, the Port Commission unanimously approved a 15-year lease of a historic building at Pier 29 to become retail storefront selling locally made coffee, spirits, and craft goods to tourists and locals alike.

But the project floated in limbo since then. Some of the same activists who spearheaded the “No Wall On The Waterfront” campaign that sank the 8 Washington development three year ago opposed this project. They dubbed it the “Mall On The Waterfront,” complaining that it doesn’t conform with the city’s waterfront plan.

A Jamestown representative says the project passed a Board of Supervisors committee Thursday morning, but it will also require full board approval.

The 120,000-square-foot bulkhead building at Pier 29 has been mostly derelict for years, though it’s located next to a cruise terminal and a block of busy offices.

The retail site would only take up about 20,000 feet of the larger building. “This is not a mall,” Remy Monteko, vice president of developer Jamestown, told Curbed SF.

Rather, the developer sees the proposal as a redoubt for “the new manufacturing industry” and modern San Francisco culture.

Products sold in the space would come by way of SFMade, the local nonprofit that advocates for San Francisco craft manufacturers . . . .

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8083141/BCV_Pier_29_Rendering_02.0.jpg

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8083837/pier.jpg

http://sf.curbed.com/2017/3/2/14793178/pier-29-sfmade-mall-waterfront

timbad
Mar 5, 2017, 8:22 PM
very random things...

noticed that Beale St was closed between the TTC and Park Tower yesterday for some work on the street...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/542/33260099965_44d74e4b3f_b.jpg

...and found out that that will be the case for the next few weeks (http://www.transbaycenter.org/uploads/2017/03/Transbay_Update_3.03.2017.pdf):

Beale Street Full Closure 24/7 March 4, 2017 through March 31st (Between Mission and Howard Streets): Beale Street Bridge Demolition will start early Saturday March 4th and work daily Monday through Saturdays between 6:00 AM and 11:30 PM through March 31st, reopening to traffic Saturday April 1, 2017 at 5:00AM

South Park looks really almost done, finally. I think the last plantings were going in when I stopped by yesterday. Now that all the greenery is in, I don't feel so uneasy about the amount of concrete used in the design. overall seems like an okay balance.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/775/33131656861_b1ce8a8866_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/463/32445519873_7039febe89_b.jpg

skyline from a fairly empty 280

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3814/32445516533_1b59aef9e3_b.jpg

the fencing is finally down at Daggett Park at Potrero1010

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3853/32445514673_b2b5c6e6f9_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/317/32445512523_f8785dae47_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/542/32445510113_f3774a55b9_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/538/32445507803_855800f60d_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/775/32445505003_abda13ff59_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3731/32445503293_36e2ea7b6c_b.jpg

Pedestrian
Mar 5, 2017, 10:41 PM
^^What day and time would find 280 that empty? I am looking for low traffic periods for some trips.

timbad
Mar 6, 2017, 3:00 AM
^^What day and time would find 280 that empty? I am looking for low traffic periods for some trips.

well, that was on Saturday between 3 - 4 pm. seems most of the pics I take on weekends of 280 have about the same conditions, tho. I imagine events like baseball (and future basketball) games change that temporarily.

SLO
Mar 6, 2017, 3:47 AM
^^^terrific update timbad, Southpark looks great...

timbad
Mar 6, 2017, 3:59 AM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/775/32445505003_abda13ff59_b.jpg

btw, the 'for lease' signs visible here are perplexing to me. I think that site is 901 16th St, whose construction status here (https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/us/901-16th-street) was updated on Feb 21 to 'Construction' (which I see no evidence of on the ground).

edit: this (http://www.potreroview.net/corovan-project-to-proceed/) says construction would start this summer

colemonkee
Mar 6, 2017, 3:45 PM
I love the sculpture at Daggett Park. Looks like it's meant to invoke the historic San Francisco skyline?

pseudolus
Mar 6, 2017, 5:50 PM
I love the sculpture at Daggett Park. Looks like it's meant to invoke the historic San Francisco skyline?

Google "Giant's Causeway"

timbad
Mar 8, 2017, 7:56 AM
more Daggett Park, this time from the passing train

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/762/33318046905_472088a83a_b.jpg

down the street, here is 100 Hooper

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2928/33318045235_653a7c46dd_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3944/33318043675_49e1d69ca1_b.jpg

down the street a little further, and around the corner on Townsend

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3707/33318042055_0b287366d3_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/692/33318040475_51782741ae_b.jpg