PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : HONG KONG | Highrise Developments Compilation Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

hkskyline
Feb 28, 2005, 12:12 AM
Hopewell Mega Tower : History of a towering fiasco
26 February 2005
South China Morning Post

Early 1980s: Hopewell Holdings starts buying land in Wan Chai

February 1994: Town Planning Board approves application to build 93-storey hotel

April 2004: Board rejects plan for 60-storey twin-tower hotel, saying it is incompatible with the neighbourhood, will cause traffic congestion, kill too many trees and damage the city skyline

July: Board tells Hopewell to improve architecture and ensure hotel will not cause traffic jams

September: Two amended plans are sent to the board

January 2005: Sir Gordon Wu Ying-sheung cites project's difficulties as evidence of government-business collusion

February 21: Legco report says Mega Tower will damage the neighbourhood

hkskyline
Mar 5, 2005, 6:55 AM
Swire re-enters culture fight
Sylvia Hui, Hong Kong Standard
March 04, 2005

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/stdn/std/Metro/images/west0304.jpg

Swire wants to show Frank Gehry's design as part of its 'cultural harbor vision', involving facilities across West Kowloon, Tsim Sha Tsui, Central and Wan Chai.
STAFF PHOTO

Renewed public debate and increased pressure on the government to rethink the West Kowloon project are expected next week when an eliminated bidder reveals an alternative vision of a museum complex by world-renowned architect Frank Gehry.

The design, proposed for the prime Tamar site in Admiralty, was commissioned by Swire Properties last May and will go on public display despite the government's rejection of Swire's proposal for West Kowloon late last year.

Swire's proposal for the HK$40 billion cultural project was rejected because it includes no canopy and places the required cultural facilities outside West Kowloon.

The 76-year-old Canadian architect, best known for his design of the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain, will unveil the plan himself when he visits Hong Kong next Friday. From next Saturday, Gehry's design and Swire's proposals will be displayed as models in Pacific Place for public comment.

The move comes just two weeks before public consultation and exhibitions of the three shortlisted West Kowloon proposals come to an end at City Hall.

"Gehry does not say yes to every offer of commission or every site," said Gordon Ongley, director and general manager of Swire Properties. "We have the possibility of having the only Gehry building in Asia - we want to make a statement.

"If the complex is built with the right design on the right site it doesn't have to be enormous," he said, referring to the proposed concentration of museums and performance venues on 40 hectares of reclaimed land in West Kowloon. He said Swire's move will pressure the government to re-examine its approach involving a controversial, mandatory and expensive canopy and a requirement that a single developer control the entire project for 30 years.

Ongley insisted the Swire presentation is not meant to provoke "embarrassment or confrontation with the government."

"We have had overwhelming support for our proposal from the groups we've consulted," he said. "It's a credible alternative and the public should be able to consider it."

Swire is not expecting government officials to attend the exhibition's opening ceremony next Friday.

Ongley said Swire's "cultural harbor vision", which spreads cultural facilities across West Kowloon, Tsim Sha Tsui, Central and Wan Chai, allows for more flexibility because any one of the facilities could be built separately and more than one developer could handle the projects.

Gehry's museum could be finished three years ahead of the time required by the Invitation for Proposals, he said.

The Tamar museum complex is envisioned to be 0.5 million square feet, 1.5 times the size of Gehry's museum in Bilbao.

It would be complemented by a large park built on reclaimed land in Central and new theatres in Wan Chai and Tsim Sha Tsui, but the existing Space Museum and the Museum of Art would be "taken away."

West Kowloon would house a stadium, hotels and six million square feet of 30-story residential space.

Ongley was vocal in his criticism of government plans for West Kowloon, saying Swire did not play by the rules because it could not accept the "high-risk principle of locating a large number of cultural facilities in a new district."

He also said the proposed Foster-designed canopy is not sustainable and "serves no real and practical purpose."

philip
Mar 5, 2005, 9:39 AM
Please take back Norman Foster and NOT Frank Gehry.

Chad
Mar 5, 2005, 3:55 PM
I know, Gahry's work scares me. It's like an expression of his own self sad-insanity.

some_stupid_nut
Mar 5, 2005, 4:09 PM
I agree with that. No Gehry please!

cas1976
Mar 5, 2005, 5:04 PM
''..........the existing Space Museum and the Museum of Art would be taken away.........''

it is impossible !
no people will support it !

Jaroslaw
Mar 5, 2005, 6:04 PM
"We have the possibility of having the only Gehry building in Asia - we want to make a statement."

Be proud and happy that you have the only HONG KONG in Asia. Don't make a statement. Make a good building. Statements age quickly, and they are not for people.

Having said that, I like the idea of having some facilities at the Tamar site. The West Kowloon development is not organic, and it's such an anti-urban thing, really. This whole US project is a disaster in that respect..

hkskyline
Mar 13, 2005, 12:59 AM
Gehry's Vision of West Kowloon
Sing Tao Daily

http://hk.yimg.com/hk/providers/singtao/20050312/20050312ap09y.jpg

igzaklee
Mar 13, 2005, 2:46 AM
nice! :D

hkskyline
Mar 13, 2005, 5:56 PM
Giant puts hub case in malls
Hong Kong Standard
Sylvia Hui
March 14, 2005

The government's concept for the West Kowloon cultural district, including the choice of location and the notion of clustering museums and other facilities under an expensive canopy, has been given the thumbs-down by a world-renowned architect.

"Building 100,000 square meters of museums under a glass roof [in West Kowloon] didn't appeal to me,'' American Frank Gehry told Hong Kong architects Sunday during a presentation of his alternative design for a museum complex for the Tamar site in Admiralty.

Gehry, who designed the acclaimed Guggenheim Museum Bilbao among many other notable projects, is in town to unveil and introduce his design, which was commissioned by Swire Properties in May as part of the property giant's proposal for the West Kowloon district.

Gehry's visit and Swire's high-profile exhibition of its proposal at its shopping malls come despite the government's rejection of Swire's bid in November.

The proposal got the thumbs-down because it failed to include a canopy and located cultural facilities outside West Kowloon to create a ``cultural harbor'' that went beyond the original scope of the project.

"Putting [the cultural district in West Kowloon] seems wrong. The right place to put it is within the central area, where it is in touch with the business center,'' Gehry said.

"None of what we're doing is meant as criticism of other architects' work. We're just critical of the cultural program.''

Edwin Chan, Gehry's Hong Kong-born colleague, said the government's requirement of four separate museums is not the best way to go. Their design for Tamar instead is integrated and achieves economies of scale, he said.

"It will be flexible enough to incorporate all four proposed museums and maybe more. It's much more dynamic,'' he said.

Gehry's design for a glass and marble museum complex was inspired by Chinese architecture and landscape paintings, Chan said.

It consists of a cluster of five 1,000 to 1,500 square-meter pavilions or "mini museums'' for special exhibitions on ground level, multi-purpose exhibition halls, and thematic "sky galleries'' that are shaped like steps.

The complex, including a central atrium and sculptured terraces, would cover 50,000 square meters, half the government's proposed size.

"We tried to put the government-required 100,000 square meters to work, but it doesn't allow breathing room for the neighborhood. [The Guggenheim Museum in] Bilbao is a huge museum by international standards, and it is only half the size of the Tamar museum complex,'' Chan said.

The complex would be enclosed under a glass structure supported by a steel skeleton.

The glass would enable visitors to look out on the harbor, Gehry said, while the steps are meant to open up the site and contrast with the surrounding skyscrapers.

Swire Properties chairman Keith Kerr refused to specify what his company would do with its design beyong saying ``that would have to be left in the hands of the administration and the public.''

The models are being exhibited at Pacific Place in Admiralty this week. They will then be shown at Festival Walk and Cityplaza in Tai Koo Shing.

Models of the government's three shortlisted bidders are on display at City Hall in Central.

philip
Mar 13, 2005, 11:36 PM
"....................facilities under an expensive canopy, has been given the thumbs-down by a world-renowned architect. Building 100,000 square meters of museums under a glass roof [in West Kowloon] didn't appeal to me,'' said architect Frank Gehry

Yeh, then obviously You have Weird TASTE, because everyone else seems to be impressed by and attracted to the Canopy design. Just because You don't like it, it doesn't mean it's not good.

By the way, Frank Gehry, don't dismiss a work by the genius architect "Norman Foster" when your own work is not popular with the public. It only shows that you are jealous and disrespect great works especially when that great work is the one "Selected" by people and yours was rejected because you "Broke the Rules." You had the chance but you blew it, and don't blame other people for your own mistake. And your proposed museum for WKCD looks like a Giant Bug ! :yuck:

http://www.chaparraltree.com/mn/caterpillar-stairs-med.jpg

Please just go away, Frank Gehry, nobody likes your work. :no:

igzaklee
Mar 14, 2005, 12:03 AM
^^keep in mind philip Gehry's proposal is for the Tamar site, not the WKCD...

PrOfOuNd_ReTaRdAtIoN
Mar 14, 2005, 1:40 AM
"....................facilities under an expensive canopy, has been given the thumbs-down by a world-renowned architect. Building 100,000 square meters of museums under a glass roof [in West Kowloon] didn't appeal to me,'' said architect Frank Gehry

Yeh, then obviously You have Weird TASTE, because everyone else seems to be impressed by and attracted to the Canopy design. Just because You don't like it, it doesn't mean it's not good.

By the way, Frank Gehry, don't dismiss a work by the genius architect "Norman Foster" when your own work is not popular with the public. It only shows that you are jealous and disrespect great works especially when that great work is the one "Selected" by people and yours was rejected because you "Broke the Rules." You had the chance but you blew it, and don't blame other people for your own mistake. And your proposed museum for WKCD looks like a Giant Bug ! :yuck:

http://www.chaparraltree.com/mn/caterpillar-stairs-med.jpg

Please just go away, Frank Gehry, nobody likes your work. :no:

lol... i fail to see the resembalance but i agree with your point neways.:laugh:

Aboveday
Mar 14, 2005, 6:35 AM

o look at that thing,is it a disposal bag?an airsickness bag?

hkskyline
Mar 14, 2005, 5:00 PM
Canopy plan unlikely to work: Gehry
March 15, 2005

The giant canopy proposed as part of the West Kowloon cultural district project will take "a lot of effort" to build and is unlikely to work, an internationally acclaimed architect said.

"I am a little puzzled by [the canopy]," Frank Gehry, whose designs include the Guggenheim Museum Bilboa in Spain and the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, said.

The 1989 Pritzker Prize laureate has been invited to Hong Kong by Swire Properties to promote his new design for a museum complex in Tamar, Admiralty.

"It seems like a lot of effort," he said, reluctant to openly criticize the Norman Foster-designed canopy. "But if it works and creates a separate climate, it may be worth it."

The canopy is estimated to cost between HK$3 billion to HK$6 billion. If built, it will cover 55 percent of the 40-hectare reclaimed site, becoming the largest of its kind in the world.

It is a requisite in the government's invitation for proposals, with officials seeing it as a key unifying factor for the facilities in West Kowloon.

It is also said to be environmentally friendly.

Gehry pointed out that the canopy design probably originated from the idea of a geodesic dome, first proposed over half a century ago by engineer, mathematician and architect Buckminster Fuller.

Fuller was a mentor for Foster, whose design for the German parliamentary building in Berlin, for example, features a glass dome.

The geodesic dome is designed to cover the maximum possible space without internal supports and over 200,000 have been built.

But Gehry said the canopy design for West Kowloon is a "worked away" version of the geodesic dome and is no longer as powerful or compelling as the original.

Gehry said that even though he knew the Swire's proposal for a "cultural harbor" had been rejected by the government, he chose to work with the property giant because its proposal "made better sense to me than building West Kowloon."

"I was contacted way back for West Kowloon, but it already had the canopy and I wasn't interested," he said.

Hong Kong Institute of Architects president Bernard Lim has said the canopy, widely criticized as too expensive and impractical, may pose a safety concern during typhoons.

hkskyline
Mar 16, 2005, 10:05 PM
Tsang gets more time in cultural hub extension
March 17, 2005

Still mired in controversy, the West Kowloon Cultural District project will be put on hold with an extension of the public consultation period to the end of June, the government has announced.

Secretary for Housing, Planning and Lands Michael Suen said Wednesday at a Legislative Council special committee meeting on West Kowloon that the consultation exercise will be extended for another three months.

He said the decision was arrived at after considering requests from lawmakers and the progress of the consultation.

With Donald Tsang, the government's point man on West Kowloon now the Acting Chief Executive, the postponement came as no surprise to members.

"I want to reiterate that the West Kowloon Cultural District is an integrated development," Suen said. "We will ensure that the land is put to good use."

The resignation of Tung Chee-hwa as chief executive and the election of his successor will have an impact on the cultural project's development, Suen said.

"I believe we must wait until the new chief executive is elected. We will submit reports to him and decide on what to do next after we have his instructions."

Permanent Secretary for Planning and Lands Rita Lau said the bureau has cost-effective policies in place to ensure that the developer will have the financial resources to see the project through for 30 years.

But lawmakers attacked the lack of transparency in the project's selection criteria and

questioned how the objectives of the public-private partnership could be met.

"This is a big piece of land, but I don't know how much the site is worth or how much the things to be built on it will be worth," Article 45 Concern Group lawmaker Audrey Eu said.

"How could I know if it is a good deal or not?

Frontier lawmaker Emily Lau was also skeptical.

"If the financial details are made public, we can all get to see whether this will work for the government. But if in the end the government suffers losses of billions of dollars, it's a consequence that even Mr Suen cannot shoulder," she said

Suen said only that discussions are now at the fundamental stage and a detailed regulatory framework cannot yet be drawn up.

The exhibition of the three shortlisted bidders' design models for the cultural district is currently on show at City Hall in Central. They will be shown at the Hong Kong Heritage Museum in Sha Tin from the middle of next month, he said.

The consultation exercise and the exhibition were launched in December at the Science Museum.

Some 120,000 people have visited the exhibition so far and more than 20,000 comments and suggestions have been collected.

igzaklee
Mar 17, 2005, 2:15 AM
i guess i'm the only one here who finds gehry's proposal for Tamar Site a beauty--

oh well :D

Rachmaninov
Mar 17, 2005, 2:22 AM
Em... it looks like some silvery inflated airbag to me...

philip
Mar 17, 2005, 7:41 AM
Why are they allowing Frank Gehry to make comments like that, with no one to make a counter-argument? And he is making these comments based on what he thinks and not what he found out. He THINKS the canopy is impractical, he THINKS the canopy idea is not original, he THINKS there is no better design for Hong Kong than his twisting and weird-looking metalic mess.

Dynamic Star needs to Fly in Norman Foster from London RIGHT NOW to remind everyone what a great and ingenious design was made about the canopy.

Frank Gehry needs to be reminded that not everyone in Spain is very attracted to his Guggenheim Museum Bilboa. And his Disney Concert Hall was getting complains from neighbors just 1 month after its completion because the building's surface was reflecting too much bright light, and here he is talking about he KNOWS what people want??

On the contrary, Norman Foster's deisngs are always adorned by the people in that city. I am sure round-shaped objects (Foster's dome) are more people-friendly than Gehry's sharp metal edges. Just think about what happens when Santa Claus lands on one of those Frank Gehry things, Ouch !!:no:

hkskyline
Mar 17, 2005, 4:26 PM
Norman Foster has a significant portfolio of projects in Hong Kong, and they are architectural masterpieces oftentimes featured in textbooks and in the community. Some notable projects include HSBC's building and Chek Lap Kok Airport.

The government has made it clear that his canopy will be built in West Kowloon. That was a requirement for all the bidders.

igzaklee
Mar 17, 2005, 6:54 PM
good call philip: FLY FOSTER OUT!! a little not-so-subtle reminder how much genius is already honored throughout HK's glorious development...

as for gehry... who knows--who really cares... i do like however how swire's pushing a project for Tamar when no one else seems to be paying much attention!

lastly: i agree hkskyline: once the dust settles on the next CE for HK (June?)--the canopy WILL be made to happen

hkskyline
Mar 19, 2005, 9:24 PM
Chad from SSC took these photos on March 18th :

Four Seasons Hotel

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/chady/Bank/DSC01261.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/chady/Bank/DSC01265.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/chady/Bank/DSC01263.jpg

AIG
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=3617124#post3617124

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/chady/Bank/DSC01254.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/chady/Bank/DSC01257.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/chady/Bank/DSC01228.jpg

colemonkee
Mar 19, 2005, 9:53 PM
^Wow. Both Four Seasons and AIG are looking great. Hong Kong continues to amaze me...

Fabb
Mar 20, 2005, 8:03 AM
The protrusion on the western facade of AIG is disturbing.

PrOfOuNd_ReTaRdAtIoN
Mar 20, 2005, 4:08 PM
i think the sky blue colour is overused...im refering to the four seasons

Rachmaninov
Mar 24, 2005, 7:52 PM
I will be back two days later. Promise you guys that I'll shoot some updates! Will WHERE ARE YOU???!

vincent
Mar 28, 2005, 11:36 PM
forgotten HK project, Millennium City Phase 5 photo tour:
http://www.hk-place.com/vp.php?board=1&id=1336-1

vincent
Mar 28, 2005, 11:47 PM
at night
http://www.ccphil.com/apms.jpg

vincent
Mar 28, 2005, 11:56 PM
more pics
http://www.hk-place.com/vp.php?board=1&id=1336-2

Rachmaninov
Mar 29, 2005, 7:27 AM
Great pic vincent!!!

Here are some pics that I've promised everybody!

Highcliff changes colour at night!

http://img70.exs.cx/img70/8230/highcliff13ge.jpg
http://img225.exs.cx/img225/2843/highcliff28ae.jpg
http://img225.exs.cx/img225/6220/highcliff33rs.jpg
http://img225.exs.cx/img225/4313/highcliff49ct.jpg

Hope you guys like them!!!

hkskyline
Mar 29, 2005, 7:42 AM
WOW!!!

Fabb
Mar 29, 2005, 8:17 AM
Thanks !
Not as spectacular as the Center, but it's still nice.

vincent
Mar 29, 2005, 9:14 PM
good to know highcliff got this lighting. Any pics of us7 btw?

igzaklee
Mar 29, 2005, 11:20 PM
an amazing building just became even better...

:)

Rachmaninov
Mar 30, 2005, 2:17 AM
I'll try to see if the weather allows. It's raining cats and dogs over here vincent...

vincent
Mar 30, 2005, 8:57 AM
i can see the bad weather from webcam. :-)

igzaklee
Mar 30, 2005, 8:12 PM
you know Summit's jealous now! ;)

hkskyline
Mar 31, 2005, 1:06 AM
Hong Kong arts centre a battleground for world's top architects
Wed Mar 23, 11:58 PM ET

HONG KONG, (AFP) - As Hong Kong seeks a spectacular new landmark to add to its famous skyline, the city has become a design battleground where the world's greatest architects are striving to make their mark with a visionary arts and performance centre.

American Frank Gehry and Argentinean Cesar Pelli were both in the southern Chinese enclave last week to marshal their forces in a bidding war for a project already outline-designed by Britain's Lord Norman Foster.

The three heavyweights, who between them have created some of the world's most striking modern structures, are keen not only for the riches the 40-hectare West Kowloon Cultural District will offer the winner, they want a piece of the prestige it is expected to accrue.

"This is an incredible opportunity that goes way beyond what any other city has done," Pelli, 78, told AFP in an exclusive interview. "Every city has a golden age -- Hong Kong's is about to happen."

The hub project will be huge, with some estimates putting its cost at some 40 billion US dollars.

Carved out of a spit of reclaimed land across Hong Kong's famous harbour from the towering downtown, the Foster-created outline envisages theatres, a stadium, exhibition and museum space as well as parkland and a giant open-air piazza.

Most ambitious of all they are to be housed beneath a kilometre-long 40-hectare undulating roof that will not only shield the district from the city's unremitting tropical climate but also provide an iconic landmark to project Hong Kong's image all over the world.

The winning bidder will be allowed to finance the project by selling associated commercial and residential plots in return for a guarantee it run the public cultural facilities, at a loss if necessary, for 30 years.

The rush to be part of Hong Kong's cultural future is so heated that it even led to a spat between the Guggenheim and Pompidou, giants of the art museum world, who are being touted as possible tenants.

Among other big-name artistic institutions keen to get a foothold in the hub are the British National Theatre and France's Musee D'Orsay.

But for all the developers talk of a golden age, the scheme has locally become a political hot potato. Many political parties oppose the government's insistence it be built by a single developer and arts groups have objected to big property companies controlling the city's cultural infrastructure.

A consultation exercise has been extended twice to accommodate the huge public interest in the project and bidding developers are privately resigned to the government missing the summer deadline when it is supposed to announce the winning design.

But Pelli, whose soaring creations include Kuala Lumpur's Petronas Towers -- once the world's tallest buildings -- and East London's Canary Wharf, said the project had fired the imagination of the world's greatest designers.

"Hong Kong has this incredible energy," said the Argentinean, commissioned to design a four-theater performance complex for the hub.

"I just love to walk the streets more so than in any other part of the world."

Gehry, 76, has been equally effusive about the former British colony.

"Hong Kong is a wonderful and vibrant and exciting place," he told the South China Morning Post. "I have never seen anywhere like it. Perhaps Manhattan, but it is not quite the same."

The American is probably most famous for designing the angular homes for the Guggenheim Museums in New York and Bilbao, Spain.

His design for a museum complex in Hong Kong recalls the boxy shape of the Bilbao structure but is unlikely to get past the planning stage; it was commissioned by the Swire Group, a British-based company that failed to make the tender shortlist for refusing to confine its proposal to the plot of earmarked land.

Swire hired Gehry to lend weight to its campaign to have the tender reopened.

Gehry has been less than enthusiastic about the canopy plan. Proposed by Foster, for whom it won design awards, Gehry said it was an idea the British master has rehashed from a 1960s idea of legendary designer Buckminster Fuller.

"Fuller had an idea to build a canopy that stretched over one mile, but subsequent versions of the canopy became less and less powerful," he was quoted as telling the Post.

Foster is highly respected in Hong Kong where his relatively squat HSBC headquarters is one of the most outstanding buildings in a city defined by its gravity-defying skyscrapers and the airport he built has won the city countless design awards.

Many architects here say his canopy is unworkable, however. As such its very inclusion in the tender proposal has become a point of heated debate.

Gehry's backers Swire have argued against building one and another bidder who made the shortlist has come up with an alternative network of mini canopies.

Pelli is fully behind it and says it will make Hong Kong's culture hub the world's leading venue.

"I wouldn't say it is necessary but it will give a very strong image -- it will make this grouping of facilities far more unique and make it much more of a destination.

"It will create a memory of Hong Kong that you can carry with you -- you have those memories even if you have never been there," he said.

Canopy or not, a cultural hub will be built and the bidding companies are spending fortunes to make sure they win the tender.

Swire said it had spent 30 million Hong Kong dollars -- about 3.75 million US dollars -- on its design before it even thought of flying in Gehry.

A bidding consortium led by rival Henderson Land, which commissioned Pelli, will not reveal how much it has sunk into its proposal but a senior project manager hinted it had paid far more than its British rival.

Even less is known of the cost of a bid by a consortium consisting of Hong Kong's two biggest developers Cheung Kong and Sun Hung Kai.

They will reveal no figures but as an indication the consortium has hired the Pompidou Centre and the Guggenheim as partners and is believed to have footed a two million US dollar bill for flying in from Paris Picasso's giant "Parade" masterpiece for a month-long display here last year.

It also recently caused uproar when it flew a string of reporters to Paris, London and New York to observe other museums at work.

Rachmaninov
Apr 1, 2005, 11:23 AM
Fresh pics of Union Square and Hanoi Road shot by myself as promised!!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60817&perpage=25&pagenumber=2
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1242158#post1242158

Rachmaninov
Apr 3, 2005, 9:14 AM
http://img122.exs.cx/img122/8214/cimg42321vj.jpg
http://img236.exs.cx/img236/7207/cimg42407kq.jpg
http://img236.exs.cx/img236/7555/cimg42414hm.jpg

AIG Tower

http://img236.exs.cx/img236/595/cimg42287ht.jpg

Central Pier

http://img236.exs.cx/img236/893/cimg42297cc.jpg
http://img236.exs.cx/img236/1011/cimg42387cu.jpg
http://img236.exs.cx/img236/8301/cimg42391lb.jpg
http://img236.exs.cx/img236/5462/cimg42421lj.jpg
http://img236.exs.cx/img236/4032/cimg42435to.jpg
http://img236.exs.cx/img236/1781/cimg42447di.jpg
http://img236.exs.cx/img236/5123/cimg42481mv.jpg

Victoria Harbour Reclamation!!!

Rachmaninov
Apr 3, 2005, 9:25 AM
http://img156.exs.cx/img156/1273/cimg42246hi.jpg
http://img203.exs.cx/img203/3172/cimg42252ft.jpg
http://img203.exs.cx/img203/4678/cimg42275ci.jpg
http://img203.exs.cx/img203/3720/cimg42318nd.jpg

Four Seasons!!

http://img203.exs.cx/img203/599/cimg42606dg.jpg
http://img203.exs.cx/img203/1015/cimg42592hz.jpg

ICAC Headquarters!

http://img203.exs.cx/img203/8897/cimg42678ds.jpg
http://img203.exs.cx/img203/81/cimg42685yi.jpg

Taikoo Shing!! (forgot what it's called but it's gonna be around 70 storeys. hmm... hkskyline and vincent?)

http://img203.exs.cx/img203/9315/cimg42338wl.jpg
Model of Yau ma Tei Urban Renewal concept

http://img203.exs.cx/img203/8397/cimg42358sf.jpg
http://img203.exs.cx/img203/9716/cimg42364pg.jpg
Model of Union Square and Foster's Canopy (Slightly outdated)

http://img203.exs.cx/img203/9114/cimg42373yz.jpg
Model of Disneyland!!

All shot within today!! Enjoy!!!

-$i-
Apr 3, 2005, 9:25 AM
Judging from those pics, it seems the old Star Ferry Pier is already landfilled, whilst the new ones are not functioning yet. Is anyone able to get a pic of the full reclamation progress, i.e. from BOC?

Aboveday
Apr 3, 2005, 3:45 PM
great shots.

igzaklee
Apr 3, 2005, 9:18 PM
great updates Rach! :D

ICAC on the move... i think 4seasons looks rather reserved but noble... taikoo is the new bamboo to rival highcliff/summit...

reclamation in full force--

now let's just get that canopy built!! ;)

Chad
Apr 4, 2005, 1:54 AM
Where exactly is the ICAC located at?

try 2B funny
Apr 4, 2005, 11:37 AM
Judging from those pics, it seems the old Star Ferry Pier is already landfilled

Not yet.

Rachmaninov
Apr 4, 2005, 11:39 AM
Tiger Balm Garden
Development consists of four 41-storey residential towers atop 11-storey podium

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Rachmaninov/CIMG4324.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Rachmaninov/CIMG4325.jpg

Photos shot by myself today!!

ENDOPHINS
Apr 4, 2005, 1:04 PM
Just 51 storey ??
I thought they're over 60-storey :no:

Aboveday
Apr 16, 2005, 11:59 AM
Light testing on Citic Tower.

http://netalbum.netvigator.com/photos/2005/04/16/c3321472053625781113649412203.jpg

http://netalbum.netvigator.com/photos/2005/04/16/c3321472053620821113649416479.jpg

ENDOPHINS
Apr 19, 2005, 7:53 AM
Beginning 1 May, the incredibly popular A Symphony of Lights becomes even more spectacular thanks to a complete makeover featuring fabulous brand-new lighting and stirring new music. This enhanced A Symphony of Lights is sure to fire your imagination like never before!

As part of the Labour Day Golden Week celebrations, new pyrotechnics will be added to the show from 1 to 8 May.

Great!!

ENDOPHINS
Apr 19, 2005, 7:55 AM
And one more funny stuff!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/ENDOPHINS/DSC01656.jpg

New tallest in Kowlonn East [or Eastern Kowloon? :???:]

Fabb
Apr 19, 2005, 9:32 AM
I like it.
How tall is it ?

jose_kwan
Apr 19, 2005, 6:15 PM
read this from the online version of the latest issue (issue 788 / apr 14 05 ) 壹周刊 ...
about the hk's disneyland ...

the disney hotel ::

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/josekwan/p5nDSC00946no.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/josekwan/p5mDSC00940no.jpg

the train ::
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/josekwan/p3-4fDSC01001no.jpg

fantasyland ::

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/josekwan/p5cDSC00988no.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/josekwan/p5lDSC00986no.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/josekwan/p5bSite_3no.jpg

tomorrowland ::

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/josekwan/p5dDSC00989no.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/josekwan/DSC00990no.jpg

advantureland ::

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/josekwan/p5fDSC00998no.jpg

the main street, usa ::

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/josekwan/p5eDSC00993no.jpg

and finally ...
the arieal view ::

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/josekwan/p5aSite_2no.jpg

vincent
Apr 19, 2005, 7:30 PM
that building is around 195m tall.

philip
Apr 19, 2005, 10:27 PM
Why is the river in Adventureland looks prestine green in the aerial view picture, but it looks muddish yellow when looked up close in the 2nd pic?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/josekwan/p5aSite_2no.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/josekwan/p5fDSC00998no.jpg

ENDOPHINS
Apr 28, 2005, 9:06 AM
Here're some Outdated "Updates"! Enjoy :D !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/ENDOPHINS/DSC01673.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/ENDOPHINS/DSC01680.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/ENDOPHINS/DSC01683.jpg

Rachmaninov
Apr 28, 2005, 10:19 AM
Nice "updates"!! hehe
I will also post some outdated updates of the Wanchai Market redevelopment.

Fabb
Apr 28, 2005, 2:45 PM
How outdated are they ?

igzaklee
Apr 28, 2005, 7:10 PM
"outdated updates"...

...only in HK...

:D

ENDOPHINS
Apr 29, 2005, 7:40 AM
How outdated are they ?

taken a few weeks ago :laugh:

Rachmaninov
Apr 30, 2005, 6:26 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Rachmaninov/CIMG4356.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Rachmaninov/eryrdg.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Rachmaninov/rdhytu.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Rachmaninov/tjyjklo.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Rachmaninov/CIMG4358.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Rachmaninov/CIMG4359.jpg

Wanchai Market Redevelopment

Fabb
Apr 30, 2005, 6:46 PM
I can't believe those huge towers were approved in hyper-dense Wanchai.

igzaklee
May 1, 2005, 12:04 AM
^^evolution of the pencil into now-huge pencils...

Fabb
May 1, 2005, 7:27 AM
Right.
When did the construction begin ? I have no memory of a big construction site in Wanchai.

vincent
May 1, 2005, 7:44 AM
i believe it is one of the URA project in Wanchai, some residental towers i guess. Close to hopewell center.

Fabb
May 1, 2005, 8:16 AM
I'm confused.

http://img78.echo.cx/img78/1931/36c5jw.jpg

^This is a picture I took in may 2004 from the outside elevator of Hopewell Center.
At the bottom of the picture is what I think is the Wanchai market. Unless I'm mistaken.

Rachmaninov
May 1, 2005, 8:21 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Rachmaninov/36c5jw.jpg

I think Wanchai market is further east. The site might be that mess I've circled using your pic.

Fabb
May 1, 2005, 8:28 AM
You did that fast.
Thanks !

try 2B funny
May 1, 2005, 1:22 PM
A new pencil tower in mongkok that pretty interesting:

http://tinypic.com/4syz42

igzaklee
May 1, 2005, 8:33 PM
fascinating to view HK's vertical and horizontal evolutions circa 2005--

truly amazing the pace and dramatic shifts in just 8 years of time (referencing the HK-1997 thread that hkskyline's circulating right now)...

Fabb
May 2, 2005, 8:24 AM
A new pencil tower in mongkok that pretty interesting:

http://tinypic.com/4syz42

... interesting and ugly.
Or maybe it's intended to be seen with its neighbour U/C.

hkskyline
May 3, 2005, 3:02 PM
West Kowloon Cultural District: An icon for culture and leisure
http://www.hplb.gov.hk/wkcd/eng/public_consultation/intro.htm

A new cultural district for Hong Kong

The West Kowloon Cultural District (WKCD) will be a landmark development that enhances Hong Kong's position as a world city of culture. The new cultural district will bring together a vibrant mix of performing and visual arts. The 40-hectare waterfront site will be both a showpiece for urban design and a meeting point for the local and international arts communities.

In this cluster of venues and open space, long-term commercial, community and cultural partnerships will encourage a lively arts scene for generations to come. Based on the principle of "partnership", the WKCD will be "community-driven" and "people-oriented".

A grand canopy, providing shade and shelter for the facilities below, will make the complex a new Hong Kong icon. With its sinuously flowing form, this feature was, in February 2002, chosen by an international jury from over 160 entries as the winner of an international concept plan competition. It was adopted as the basis for inviting proposals from the market in September 2003. By June 2004, five proposals had been received, three of which met the basic requirements. These proposals are now being assessed.

The core facilities

* Three theatres with at least 2,000, 800 and 400 seats respectively;
* A performance venue with at least 10,000 seats;
* A cluster of four museums at least 75,000 square metres in size;
* An art exhibition centre at least 10,000 square metres in size;
* A water amphitheatre;
* At least four piazzas; and
* A canopy covering at least 55% of the development area.

Other highlights

The district will integrate commercial and residential development into the arts, cultural and leisure facilities. This integrated approach will ensure more visitors and bring benefits to all the sectors involved.

The district will have at least 20 hectares of parkland and public open space, an area larger than Victoria Park.

The waterfront promenade will be 50% longer than the promenade from the Tsim Sha Tsui clock tower to the Hong Kong Coliseum.

An automated people mover will link the major facilities within the district while public transport will link the district with the business heart of Kowloon.

Where is it?

The development site is bounded by Canton Road in the east, the Western Harbour Tunnel entrance and Austin Road West in the north, and Victoria Harbour in the west and south.

The benefits for Hong Kong

The WKCD will:
* Enrich our cultural life by attracting internationally acclaimed performances and exhibitions;
* Nurture local arts talent and create more opportunities for arts groups;
* Enhance international cultural exchange;
* Put Hong Kong on the world arts and culture map;
* Provide state-of-the-art performance venues and museums;
* Offer more choices to arts patrons;
* Encourage creativity;
* Enhance our harbour front;
* Attract overseas visitors; and
* Create jobs.

What happens next?

The Government will need to take into account public views in negotiations and selection of a preferred proposal. It will then consult the Legislative Council (Legco) and the Town Planning Board (TPB) on the preferred proposal and seek approval from the Executive Council before signing a provisional agreement with the proponent. Next, the Government will submit the agreed development parameters for the proposal to the TPB for incorporation into the draft Outline Zoning Plan (OZP). This will be gazetted for public inspection and comment under the Town Planning Ordinance. The TPB will then make its decision, after considering all representations received, and submit the amended Draft OZP to the Executive Council for approval. The Project Agreement will only be finalised and executed after the completion of this statutory planning procedure and other relevant statutory procedures and approval by the Executive Council.

Once selected, the successful proponent will design, finance and complete the development of the project and operate, maintain and manage the core arts and cultural facilities for 30 years. Construction is expected to begin in April 2007, with the first phase of the project opening in 2011.

Single-development approach

After weighing the pros and cons of single versus split tendering, the Government believes that having a single developer to co-ordinate the project is the best option. Development as a single package is conducive to centralised planning and co-ordination, leading to smoother operation, economies of scale, lower costs and shorter construction lead-time. Splitting the contract could cause problems in aligning the design, construction and schedule of the infrastructure, for example, the canopy and the automated people mover. Split tendering would also create additional costs and delays by forcing the Government to sell separate parcels of land, which could take years, and by increasing the risk of litigation over separate land leases. Under a split-tender model, proceeds from land sales would not necessarily be spent on arts and culture. Hence, development of a cultural district and creation of jobs via the project would not materialise in the short to medium term.

Your views are important in shaping the WKCD

To help the public better understand the screened-in proposals and to facilitate an informed discussion, the Government is staging a consultation exercise with exhibitions, and discussion forums for the public. In response to the request of Legco and having reviewed the progress made in the public consultation exercise, the Government has decided to extend the consultation period to the end of June, 2005. The exhibition was first staged at the Hong Kong Science Museum, Tsim Sha Tsui, from December 16, 2004 to January 31, 2005; then at Hong Kong City Hall in Central from February 5, 2005 to March 28, 2005. The exhibition will continue at the Thematic Galleries 1 & 2, Hong Kong Heritage Museum, 1 Man Lam Road, Sha Tin, from April 16, 2005 to June 30, 2005.

Please send us your views, as they will be taken into account in negotiations and selection of a preferred proposal. The Government has commissioned an independent academic research institute to analyse and assess views collected in this consultation exercise. The report will be made public.

Proposals

Dynamic Star (http://www.hplb.gov.hk/wkcd/eng/public_consultation/proposals_star.htm)
http://www.hplb.gov.hk/wkcd/eng/images/pc/DyStar_Pamphlet01.gif

Sunny Development (http://www.hplb.gov.hk/wkcd/eng/public_consultation/proposals_sunny.htm)
http://www.hplb.gov.hk/wkcd/eng/images/pc/sunny_pamphlet.gif

World City Culture Park (http://www.hplb.gov.hk/wkcd/eng/public_consultation/proposals_wc.htm)
http://www.hplb.gov.hk/wkcd/eng/images/pc/worldcity_Pamphlet.gif

Rachmaninov
May 18, 2005, 7:31 PM
Any updates??

ltsmotorsport
May 18, 2005, 8:11 PM
That culture park looks really cool and futuristic in a way.

hkskyline
May 19, 2005, 4:16 PM
Housing chief worries over internal sales
Chloe Lai
19 May 2005
South China Morning Post

The government is in talks with the property sector on ways to increase the transparency of internal property sales, as a row over the record-breaking sale of a penthouse at The Arch escalates.

Secretary for Housing, Planning and Lands Michael Suen Ming-yeung voiced concern yesterday about the accuracy of sales results declared by some developers.

"Our concern is over the dissemination of information, whether the released information was real or fake and whether the price was [as] high [as they say]."

He said his bureau was in talks with the Real Estate Developers Association (Reda) about how the sale of unfinished homes could be improved.

"There is not enough transparency in the [sales] operation, and we are studying with the Reda how to increase transparency," Mr Suen said. "People should know about the price when they buy a property, even if it is internal sales."

Concerns that the market has been distorted by the incomplete and selective release of information by some developers were highlighted last month. Sun Hung Kai Properties' executive director Victor Lui Ting told the South China Morning Post a businessman who paid $168 million for the 5,353 sq ft penthouse at The Arch in West Kowloon also bought three other flats in the same project at a small discount.

However, on Tuesday, the developer said the buyer had only bought the penthouse.

But the chairman of Centaline Property, Shih Wing-ching, told a Commercial Radio talk show on Tuesday night that the businessman had indeed bought other flats at the same development during internal sales. Centaline had earlier struck the record deal.

Mr Shih declined to elaborate yesterday, while a Sun Hung Kai spokesman said the developer had nothing to add.

The association's secretary-general, Louis Loong Hon-bin, said additional guidelines were issued to developers last month, reminding them to issue a price list to buyers. But he said not all developers had complied with them.

vincent
Jun 1, 2005, 11:54 PM
hanoi road will look huge. Very wide...
http://www.dcfever.com/photosharing/photos/20050601/l226571117634878.jpg

Aboveday
Jun 2, 2005, 10:04 AM
o very nice!

Fabb
Jun 2, 2005, 1:18 PM
It seems like the podium is already completed with its cladding. How about the tower itself ?

Aboveday
Jun 2, 2005, 3:31 PM
I have no idea ,but eventually I found a rendering of hanoi road project,thanks goddess.

http://www.alumni.cuhk.edu.hk/magazine/200309/html/images/28.jpg

http://www.alumni.cuhk.edu.hk/magazine/200309/html/images/29b.jpg

Rachmaninov
Jun 2, 2005, 3:40 PM
Wow!!!!!
:P But I still prefer the previuos design...

Fabb
Jun 2, 2005, 5:07 PM
So do I.
My first reaction is negative.
The top of the building makes it look heavy, without grace.

It do not look tall.

I don't know, maybe, in context, the real thing will make a better impression.

igzaklee
Jun 2, 2005, 8:07 PM
i'm with both you on this :)

the previous design's crown was fantastic, and now...???

it does seem too top-heavy fabb, but perhaps some genius will shine as hanoi rises in reality~~

greetings from california

Aboveday
Jun 2, 2005, 9:53 PM
some imformation from the government.

Application No.: A/K1/204
Site: Area Bounded by Bristol Avenue, Carnarvon Road, Hanoi Road and Mody Road, Tsim Sha Tsui

Site Area: 8,303 sq m (about)

Plan: Draft Tsim Sha Tsui Outline Zoning Plan No. S/K1/18

Zoning: “Comprehensive Development Area (1)” (“CDA(1)”)

Application: Minor Amendments to an Approved Development Proposal for Hotel/Service Apartment and Commercial Uses with Public Open Space

Broad Development Parameters
(a) Total GFA: Domestic : N.A.

Non-domestic : Not more than 35,000 sq m (Commercial)
Not more than 35,000 sq m (Hotel)
Not more than 45,600 sq m (Service Apartment)

(b) No. of Blocks: 1 Tower and 1 Low-rise Block

(c) No. of Storeys: 66 above a 3-storey Podium and 4 Basements

(d) No. of Units: Hotel Rooms : Not more than 460

Service Apartment : Not more than 500

(e) Parking Provisions: 148 - 199 (Private Cars Parking)
8 (Tourist Buses Parking)
28 - 36 (Loading/Unloading Bays)
3 (Taxi/Private Car Lay-bys)
3 (Tourist Bus Lay-bys)
1 (Refuse Collection Vehicle)

vincent
Jun 3, 2005, 12:18 AM
where did you get these info from?

Jaroslaw
Jun 3, 2005, 1:41 AM
A great find! Let's hope the crown will be illuminated.

ENDOPHINS
Jun 3, 2005, 5:51 AM
In Memoriam ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/ENDOPHINS1/harede.gif

SCMP 2June2005

Fabb
Jun 3, 2005, 5:57 AM
Yes.
That one would have been the magnificent centerpiece of TST.

vincent
Jun 3, 2005, 8:57 AM
i think both design would still be a nice addition to the tst skyline.

Aboveday
Jun 3, 2005, 9:24 AM
where did you get these info from?

Town Planning Board website.:D

Rachmaninov
Jun 3, 2005, 9:54 AM
Hmm... they didn't mention the height of the building in metres... Let's hope each storey will be tall... coz (66+3)*3.5 is just a little over 240m.

Fabb
Jun 3, 2005, 11:34 AM
I could be even worse.

Sher
Jun 4, 2005, 3:55 AM
http://www.pbase.com/csher/image/44277965/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/csher/image/44277963/original.jpg

Hanoi Road - June 3

http://www.pbase.com/csher/image/44278213/original.jpg

18 Hart Avenue - June 3

igzaklee
Jun 4, 2005, 4:06 AM
thnx for the pics Sher :)

after seeing that hanoi rendering, i'm wondering if the top'll resemble langham in some weird-blockish way???

time will tell...

:cool:

Fabb
Jun 4, 2005, 7:48 AM
The rendering posted by Aboveday is not the one - easy to tell at the first glance.

I must say I feel much better, now.
Thanks Sher ! You made my day.

Rachmaninov
Jun 4, 2005, 8:57 AM
The shape doesn't look similar to that design I guess. Anyway on verra. Just wait :p

Fabb
Jun 4, 2005, 9:18 AM
Right.
On verra.

I expect something very beautiful, much like Langham Place. Rounded corners, all-glass sheathing, fancy top.

And 900 ft in height.
I hope I'm not asking too much.

Chad
Jun 5, 2005, 8:34 AM
Hanoi Road RDM looks simply nice...:)

hkskyline
Jun 6, 2005, 10:12 PM
Chinese Estates earmarks $1b for Tung Ying project
7 June 2005
South China Morning Post

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/stdn/std/Business/images/tung0607.jpg
The 40-year-old Tung Ying Building contributes almost HK$80 million in rental income to Chinese Estates annually. EASTWEEK

Chinese Estates Holdings will spend up to $1 billion demolishing the 39-year-old Tung Ying Building in Nathan Road and turning it into a commercial complex full of glitzy shops.

Work will start next year and yield about 400,000 square feet of commercial space. The redevelopment has been estimated to cost between $800 million and $1 billion and will take about three years.

A source told the South China Morning Post last week the decision to demolish the 17-storey building, which Chinese Estates bought in 2002 for $1.1 billion, had been prompted by a consumer spending boom and the property market revival.

The upper two floors of the three-storey retail podium houses laboratories and medical clinics. The ground floor has a diverse range of small shops.

Ernest Kong

Lecom
Jun 7, 2005, 12:45 AM
Go take pictures of the thing before it's gone

Sher
Jun 12, 2005, 7:33 AM
http://www.pbase.com/csher/image/44674498/original.jpg

Taken yesterday night
Notice the lighting scheme of AIG tower, the langham hotel, and the sorrento on the right.
Langham office tower looks empty yesterday, but the lower half of the tower usually looks busy at night, perhaps yesterday is a public holiday... I will try to take more tomorrow

the pic below was taken two weeks ago:

http://www.pbase.com/csher/image/44001302/original.jpg