PDA

View Full Version : HARRISBURG-LANCASTER-LEBANON-YORK | South Central, PA | Regional Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Spudmrg
Jan 17, 2005, 12:49 AM
I agree with you EastSide, it does'nt look like parev is reopening. That's not a good sign for the region if it can't support at least one place like that.

No snow....but lots of rain, flooding, and traffic.....

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1105784482137130.xml

Farm Show seeds local economy
Businesses reap sales from attendees
Sunday, January 16, 2005
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News
In some cities, business comes to a standstill in January. Not in Harrisburg.

Thanks to the Pennsylvania State Farm Show, which opened Jan. 8 and ended yesterday, some motels displayed "no vacancy" signs. Restaurants had lines of hungry diners. Business also boomed at gas stations, fast-food establishments and various stores.

I was there.....I missed the various food contests, but the show was fairly good in general....lots of foot traffic...even towards the evening. Anyone else pay a vist to the butter sculpture?

EastSideHBG
Jan 17, 2005, 5:10 PM
Oh I sure did. When I saw that baby on the news, I just HAD to see it in person LOL From certain angles, that butter sculpture looked very, uhh, interesting.

:uhh:

EastSideHBG
Jan 17, 2005, 5:12 PM
And just when you thought it was over. :rolleyes:

Law school board OKs 2 campuses

Penn State would renovate Dickinson, keep it in Carlisle for at least 10 years

Sunday, January 16, 2005
BY ELIZABETH GIBSON
Of The Patriot-News

CARLISLE - Penn State University is to open a second campus of The Dickinson School of Law in State College by 2010.

That decision came yesterday in a vote by the law school's board of governors after many of its members fought to reject the preliminary agreement.

They argued for hours that Penn State should be forced to maintain the Carlisle campus for much longer than the proposed 10 years. The university promised when it merged with Dickinson that the school would stay in Carlisle.

Board members against the plan said the board would be abolished by Aug. 1, ending Penn State's long-term legal obligation to Carlisle. Their warnings failed.

In a 17-14 vote, the governors approved the proposal. Penn State is to renovate the 638-student Carlisle campus for about $40 million and open an estimated $60 million law campus in State College as early as 2008. The campuses are to operate as one school.

Penn State President Graham Spanier yesterday said Dickinson will be among the country's largest law schools.

"I'm absolutely delighted that we have finally reached this point. I think it will prove to be one of the major developments in legal education," he said.

State and local lawmakers took steps to push Penn State into keeping Dickinson in Carlisle.

"It's discouraging. I think the board was bulldozed, intimidated. There hasn't even been a demonstration ... that Pennsylvania needs a new law school," state Rep. Will Gabig, R-Carlisle, said.

The proposal will go before the university trustees Friday. A final agreement would then be endorsed by the trustees and the governors board.

Penn State could offer law classes at State College as early as 2006 in the Smeal College of Business when that program moves to its new Park Avenue building. Law professors and staff for the PSU campus could be appointed this year.

Future in debate since 2003:

The schools merged in 2000. Penn State said Dickinson was its only missing academic link. Dickinson said Penn State could supply technology and other resources law students wanted. All classes are taught in Trickett Hall on South College Street in Carlisle. The building is crowded, lacks adequate library space and doesn't meet standards for disabled access.

The law school is the oldest in Pennsylvania and the fifth-oldest in the nation.

Its future has been debated since 2003, when Penn State proposed moving it to State College. The offer was withdrawn after objections from the governors board, the community and lawmakers.

Penn State and the board had disagreed about a two-campus proposal. Last fall, when it appeared they couldn't overcome differences, Penn State talked of handing off the law school to Dickinson College. The two Dickinsons are adjacent but unaffiliated.

A possible deal breaker for the current plan is the proposed financing for Carlisle upgrades.

Penn State said it will spend $10 million on the Carlisle renovation and hopes to raise up to $15 million in a capital campaign. It will maintain the campus at least 10 years, but possibly much longer.

State money may require Penn State to define just how long.

Gov. Ed Rendell last year promised up to $25 million for law school renovations if the school stayed in Carlisle. In a Friday letter to Spanier, Rendell said the money is still available if Penn State can "guarantee a long term commitment to the continued operation of the law school in Carlisle."

Penn State said it won't accept the money and will void the two-campus plan if Rendell's stipulations for a long-term commitment are unreasonable. Rendell hasn't specified those terms.

Governors board member Art Piccone asked the board to kill Penn State's proposal based on the lack of those and other terms. "Put the damn facts on the table. Quit hiding, quit playing games, so we know what we have," he said.

Member Leslie Anne Miller said Penn State has introduced "one scheme after another" to get the law school out of Carlisle "and up the road to Happy Valley" and isn't committed to Carlisle.

"Why aren't long-needed [Carlisle] renovations under way if Penn State is so committed?" she asked.

About one-third of the 33-member board voted by phone during yesterday's meeting in Trickett Hall. U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge was absent. Member Lewis Katz attended part of the meeting by phone but was absent for the vote.

LeRoy Zimmerman, a former state attorney general, voted for the Penn State plan. Earlier, he said the board should never give up its right to keep Dickinson in Carlisle. Yesterday, he said Penn State's proposal convinced him Dickinson will have a permanent Carlisle presence.

He also said Penn State has to give a year's notice if it plans to close the Carlisle campus after 2015. In that case, outcry from alumni, the community and legislators would surely halt the process, he said.

Board member and state Supreme Court Justice J. Michael Eakin said he backed the plan because students can maximize learning by studying in Carlisle and at the main campus.

Board Chairman H. Laddie Montague Jr. said Penn State put in the 10-year clause to guarantee the Carlisle campus would not be closed as Dickinson went through growing pains with two campuses. He said it wasn't a sign Penn State intends to close the school after 2015.

Spanier agreed and said no limit has been placed on Dickinson's existence in Carlisle.

"It's not productive to identify a particular [limit] because that's not how decisions are made in higher education ... but we would not be making this kind of investment ... if it was our intent to get out of town quickly. That's not going to happen," Spanier said.

Law school Dean Philip McConnaughay said the two campuses will be complementary, not competitive. The school's success will depend on each campus thriving.

Luci Jankowski McClure, president of the Dickinson general alumni association, said she's disappointed the board failed to get better guarantees for a permanent Carlisle campus. But she urged alumni to set aside differences over Penn State's plan and continue to support the school.

EastSideHBG
Jan 17, 2005, 5:15 PM
Sadly, there have been a lot of shootings lately. This one sure takes the cake, though. '05 is starting out fabulously in regards to out violent crime rate. :no:

4 injured in city shooting

Boy sought in shooting of men, girl

Monday, January 17, 2005
BY CHRIS A. COUROGEN
Of The Patriot-News

Four people, including a pregnant 17-year-old, were shot early yesterday in Harrisburg, and police are seeking a 17-year-old city boy.

Andre Pendleton, also known as "Peanut," of the 1500 block of Naudain Street, is believed to have been the trigger man in the shootings about 2:20 a.m., city spokesman Randy King said last night.

Police had not released the identities of the victims last night because the shooter was still at large and could be looking for them, King said.

King said the girl, who is eight months pregnant, was shot once in the abdomen. She was in critical condition last night at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, King said.

He did not know the condition of the fetus.

King described the other shooting victims as a 37-year-old Philadelphia man, shot once in the chest and once in the shoulder; a 26-year-old Harrisburg man, shot three times in the upper leg; and a city man of unknown age, shot once in the chest and once in the leg.

The three were in hospitals last night in unknown conditions, King said.

The shootings took place near Derry and Evergreen streets, outside Glady's Minimarket, which is open 24 hours.

King said police have numerous witnesses, many of whom are cooperating with what he called a "very active investigation."

Spudmrg
Jan 19, 2005, 3:22 AM
According to the Central Penn Business Journal, the Cumberland County Chamber of business had the CorridorOne people over for a conference last night (The patriot-news did not seem to have covered said meeting). No word on any change in the Cumberland stance on the subject.

EastSideHBG
Jan 20, 2005, 1:27 AM
Interesting, I did not know that. Thanks for the info, Spudmrg. I wonder what was accomplished (if anything)? HOPEFULLY Cumberland County is on board now and will STAY on board...

EastSideHBG
Jan 21, 2005, 10:28 PM
Camp Hill revokes permit for townhouse plan

Friday, January 21, 2005

BY CHRIS A. COUROGEN
Of The Patriot-News

Opponents of a planned townhouse development in Camp Hill erupted in applause Wednesday night after the borough's zoning hearing board revoked its permit.

"The zoning permit was issued in error and should be denied," said hearing board member J. William Royer, who joined chairman Phillip J. Murren and Wesley Burns in the unanimous 3-0 decision.

The permit was issued in March to RWC Enterprises, prior to a June change in zoning laws that limits development in the designated area to single family homes.

RWC Enterprises proposed building around 30 townhomes on a three-acre parcel at 420-426 N. 17th Street.

The appeal, which was filed by Aubrey Sledzinski of 400 N. 17th St., claimed the borough's former manager and zoning officer, Edward J. Knittel, erred when he issued the permits.

The hearing board agreed, saying the drawings submitted with the permit application were insufficient to demonstrate the project conformed to the requirements of the zoning code.

Subsequent drawings were prepared by the developer's engineer, Scott Akens, and submitted in response to Knittel's request for more information.

Zoning hearing board officials said both sets of drawings were poorly labeled, lacked a scale or were drawn to an unofficial scale.

"It was not complete enough to ascertain whether or not it really complies with the zoning," Burns said.

Since no land development plan was ever submitted for the project, future plans for the parcel may have to conform to the new zoning regulations.

EastSideHBG
Jan 21, 2005, 10:30 PM
HELL YES!!! :rock:

Hershey project just got sweeter

$3 million grant to fund transportation center

Friday, January 21, 2005
BY MEGAN WALDE
Of The Patriot-News

A downtown Hershey development project got a $3 million boost from Gov. Ed Rendell yesterday.

Rendell presented members of the Derry Twp. Industrial and Commercial Development Authority $3 million in state grant money for its intermodal transportation facility on West Chocolate Avenue.

The project will connect Hershey residents and visitors with the rest of the region via park-and-ride bus service.

The center could eventually include a monorail and commuter rail stop.

"Funding for this project is part of my ongoing commitment to provide the resources that our communities need to foster public/private partnerships that not only spur the state's economy, but also provide residents and visitors alike with new recreational opportunities," Rendell said.

On Wednesday, Rendell announced the award of $43.6 million in grants and loans through the Commonwealth Financing Authority.

WITF Inc., which operates the PBS channel 33 television station, WITF-FM radio station, Central PA magazine and the Radio PA news network, received money for its new headquarters in Swatara Twp.

The TecPort Business Center in Swatara Twp. also received aid.

Members of the Derry Twp. authority in charge of the Hershey project said they are grateful for Rendell's support.

Rendell, meanwhile, said he sees a challenge in Hershey that is similar to his hometown.

Philadelphia's economic development struggled with its image as being just a "day-trip destination" despite its rich history and culture, Rendell said.

"We don't get the maximum economic benefit in central Pennsylvania as a region with Hershey as a day-trip," he said. "This is a very important first step" to changing that.

The $15 million project also won federal support last year by way of a $3.2 million transportation grant.

Construction on phase one of the intermodal facility began in November. That portion of the project includes a three-level parking area next to the former Poser Department Store building, which Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Co. is renovating.

The building, which will be Hershey Entertainment's headquarters, and the intermodal facility are the focal points of a larger downtown revitalization plan.

Hershey Entertainment has not released details on what the rest of the two-block downtown center will look like. Vacant homes and businesses on the site have been demolished.

Underground gas tanks west of the site have been removed, and environmental studies are under way, said Paul McNamee, president and CEO of Buchart-Horn, the intermodal facility architect.

The project is set for completion in 2006.

Spudmrg
Jan 23, 2005, 3:07 AM
If memory serves, the Harrisburg-Hershey rail route will be part of the "Corridor Two" or "Corridor Three" project, "One" being Lancaster-Harrisburg-Mechanicsburg(?), and "Two" being Harrisburg-York or Harrisburg-Lebanon.

If HERCO wants to reactivate the old monorail plan for HersheyPark (where people can get into the park from the monorail stop off of 422), that would mean they would have to actually put a park entrance over with the transit center. That would mean that people could fly into HIA, or come in to the region on AMTRAK, stay at a local hotel, and then take the train to hershey and walk up to the monorail into HersheyPark. Even as Park-Ride, you can take the bus from Harrisburg Transit Center or HIA to hershey.

While I don't think the attractions in the area are quite as dense as philly, this is a good way to encourage tourism in the area. If they get CapitalOne running, people can tour Lancaster County, see the state capital, go to HersheyPark, and City Island without having to go to the trouble of a rental car. And that's just two counties.

Spudmrg
Jan 23, 2005, 3:31 PM
We missed the worst of the storm, but the BosWash Corridor got what we missed and then some.....

This is upsetting.....

http://www.pennlive.com/business/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/business/1106389255304050.xml

Leasing of office space falls off at end of 2004
Sunday, January 23, 2005
BY DAVID DeKOK
Of The Patriot-News
All good things come to an end, or so say commercial real estate agents.

Commercial real estate in the Harrisburg area has had five good years, according to Thomas T. Posavec, vice president of Landmark Commercial Realty Inc. in Lemoyne. But in 2004, the seemingly ever-increasing leasing of vacant office space seemed to fizzle.

In downtown Harrisburg, which ended 2004 with an absorption rate of 98 percent in the Class A office space category, two building projects announced last year have been canceled or substantially changed.

Phoenix Development plans for a residential/commercial high-rise building on the site of a parking lot at Fourth and Market streets have been canceled, according to Tony Pascotti, a Phoenix official. He said a replacement project is planned but wouldn't discuss details pending release of information by Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed.

EastSideHBG
Jan 23, 2005, 5:14 PM
/\
I know, I was sooo pissed when I read that!!! :mad: The condos that were going to be for sale in that building were BEAUTIFUL!!! In fact, my plan was to buy one if I hadn't bought a house by then (and by the original plan, I wouldn't have; I was waiting for them). UGH. :no:

Oh well, I guess there is still some hope, as a replacement project is planned for that spot. It's prime real estate so it won't sit empty for long. Much of the prep work on the underground lines and such was already done too last year when the original project was to kick off. Who knows what this new project will be...hopefully something good (and tall).

And here is a bright spot:

--Plans announced last spring for a restaurant on land in front of the parking garage on Second Street also have been canceled, Pascotti confirmed. He said five parties are competing to buy the property, most likely for an office/retail building that might rise as high as 13 stories to take it above the garage.

Pascotti said the trio of restaurateurs who had planned to build the eatery knew they might lose the land if a "higher and better use" came along.--

Re: your other comments on Hershey and the monorail/CorridorONE/TWO, Spudmrg, I totally agree. BIG things will come of that for sure!!!

Spudmrg
Jan 25, 2005, 11:27 PM
Hmmmm, quick recap of some Harrisburg-related stories I've run across......

1) According to the Central Penn Business Journal, the Harrisburg incinerator is having some sort of hearing tonight. It "appears" that DEP is supporting the re-operation of the incinerator.

2) According to media reports, Sen. Piccola (Dauphin County) is attempting to slow down the closure of the Harrisburg State Hospital.

3) According to the Patriot-News, Sen. Piccola is also attempting to extend (in time) Harrisburg City's authority over the Harrisburg School District.

Any comments or corrections on any of these stories? I'm repeating all of these from memory, so I may be off on some details.

A thought, after CorridorOne is built, will they call the line "Strawberry Line", "Red Rose Line", "Capital Line", or something else? I don't think the "CorridorOne" name will be the final name for an operating rail line, it just does'nt have any style.....

EastSideHBG
Jan 26, 2005, 11:43 PM
How about all of the "news" out of my old HS, CD. Heroin?!? Nah, you're kidding me?!? [/sarcasm]

And now we have a bus driver having sex with a 15 yr. old girl?!? UGH. :no:

Okay, on to some better news. :carrot:

Reed fills hunger for City Island restaurant

City Island restaurant proposal wins OK

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

After years of false starts, it finally looks like Harrisburg's City Island will be home to a restaurant.

The City Council last night approved plans for a $4.5 million restaurant and banquet facility to be built on the island's east shore, just south of the Market Street Bridge.

The Island Grill could open as early as August if all goes according to schedule, developer Denny Spicher of Dauphin said.

The project resulted from Mayor Stephen R. Reed's public request two years ago for proposals from companies interested in opening a year-round restaurant on City Island.

Spicher responded and spent nearly two years working with city officials on plans for a three-story, indoor-outdoor bar, banquet facility and restaurant.

The 28,800-square-foot building will feature a 300-seat banquet room on the second floor and a 300-seat restaurant/bar on the third floor.

Both floors are designed with windows and wrap-around decks looking out on the Susquehanna River and Harrisburg.

There would be a ground-level patio for warm-weather drinking and dining outside. The rest of the facility would operate all year, employing 40 to 50 people.

"I think they put together a brilliant plan," Councilwoman Linda Thompson said. "I'm particularly pleased it came forward."

The structure would rest on caissons, elevating it above the 100-year floodplain.

The building and an adjacent 50-car parking lot would be on a 1.2-acre site off Groff Street.

The city is leasing the land to Spicher.

Reed has long desired to add wining and dining to the island's list of attractions.

A recreational destination for 1.6 million annual visitors, City Island offers Senators baseball, City Islanders soccer, Piranha football, the Pride of the Susquehanna riverboat, games, arcades, miniature golf and snacks.

"We strongly believe that a full-service dining and entertainment complex on City Island would be very popular," Reed had said in issuing his request for restaurant proposals.

"Almost daily, we receive comments from visitors requesting more extensive dining and entertainment options on the island."

But prior attempts to attract a restaurant had failed, mainly due to the added design and construction costs to comply with city floodplain restrictions.

In 1997, Reed made a pitch to support a $6 million project by Rodento Management Inc. of Wilmington, Del., to bring in a Kahunaville restaurant.

The complex would have included indoor and outdoor seating and bar operations, a concert area and outdoor decks and $1 million worth of interactive-simulator video games.

But the plans fell through.

Since then, there has been no serious talk of opening a restaurant on the island until Reed issued his request for a proposal in September 2003.

"I have about 3,000 hours in on this project," Spicher said. "We've been at it a long time."

Yahadanai
Jan 27, 2005, 2:11 PM
At the risk of looking foolish, where exactly are the various areas of Harrisburg City proper, in terms of streets and landmarks. For instance, I can never figure out where midtown/uptown and such are.
Instead of me explaining it all check this out, Spudmrg. LOADED with info and cool pics. :)

http://www.harrisburgpa.gov/visitors/cityWide/overview.html

*After you view the map, click under the different areas in the "Neighborhoods" section on the left. \

This has to be one of the best most comprehensive "city" sites I've seen in a looong ass time...

wrightchr
Jan 27, 2005, 6:27 PM
hey dave, awesome proposal about city island. i really hope the new restaurant goes in. there is no doubt in my mind it will be a success. i foresee city island being one of the top attractions for central PA in the near future.

Spudmrg
Jan 28, 2005, 11:47 PM
Not much city-related news lately, other than the new city island location (which looks very interesting). While I understand the proposed building will raised, how will flooding on the rest of the island effect utilities and storage space?

Anyay......
http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/110690763719730.xml

Landmark Vartan site sold as firm shifts focus
Friday, January 28, 2005
BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News
One of late developer John Vartan's landmarks -- the huge building supply center and woodworking mill in Susquehanna Twp. -- will soon close.

Company officials stress it is not a sign that the Vartan interests are leaving the midstate. But some other properties could be sold as the Vartan Group changes its focus, said Robert J. DeSousa, the company's CEO, secretary and general counsel.

According to the article.......Vartan Group will be selling off some non-downtown lots, leasing out Parev as a upscale eatery (no word on the tuesday club), building a suburban mall, and generally moving out of construction and into property management. Interesting.....

EastSideHBG
Jan 29, 2005, 5:59 PM
At the risk of looking foolish, where exactly are the various areas of Harrisburg City proper, in terms of streets and landmarks. For instance, I can never figure out where midtown/uptown and such are.
Instead of me explaining it all check this out, Spudmrg. LOADED with info and cool pics. :)

http://www.harrisburgpa.gov/visitors/cityWide/overview.html

*After you view the map, click under the different areas in the "Neighborhoods" section on the left. \

This has to be one of the best most comprehensive "city" sites I've seen in a looong ass time...
Yeah, it's a great site for sure!!! It won some city site award a while ago for how comprhensive it is too...

I agree, Chris, City Island will be something else. The new ballpark, this restaurant, the attractions already there...I can dig it! :tup:

Spudmrg, I found that article interesting for many reasons:

No date has been set for closing the supply company and the mill. It could take up to six months to finalize the deal, he said.

An eight-acre tract on the site, which contains Vartan's concrete-pad-making operation, is not being sold, DeSousa said.

DeSousa and Mark Caldwell, president of Caldwell Development, said they couldn't comment on the property's future.

Caldwell said that his firm specializes in shopping center development and that he would like to replace the existing buildings with a retail development.

"I don't know 10 years down the pike, but this is home for the Vartans -- the rumors that they intend to pick up and move are exactly that -- rumors," DeSousa said.

"But I can tell you that anyone who wants to make us a fair-market value or above fair-market value for our assets, we will most assuredly sit down and talk to them in the same way that John Vartan did."
Interesting...

EastSideHBG
Jan 29, 2005, 6:01 PM
Tuesday Club gets new home at Hilton's Golden Sheaf

Saturday, January 29, 2005

BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

With the downtown restaurant Parev scheduled to close tonight, The Tuesday Club announced yesterday that it has found a new home a few blocks away in the Hilton Harrisburg & Towers.

Beginning Feb. 14, The Tuesday Club will have weekday use of The Golden Sheaf restaurant, off the first-floor lobby of the hotel at 1 N. Second St., club Chairwoman Jackie Goodwin said.

The restaurant will no longer be open to the public for lunch but will open for dinner at 5:30 p.m. daily, according to Bill Kohl, president and CEO of Harrisburg Hotel Corp., the managing general partner of the Hilton.

The Hilton has another restaurant for casual dining, Raspberries, where the public can eat lunch.

Goodwin predicted that the 225-member club will have a "smooth transition" to The Golden Sheaf, which has earned a Four Diamond rating from AAA and awards of excellence from Wine Spectator magazine for its 500-bottle wine cellar.

"It's comparable to Parev. It's upscale. The amenities are wonderful," Goodwin said after touring the restaurant and speaking to the chef. "People are not going to see a disruption of service."

The Golden Sheaf's menu and prices are similar to Parev's, she added.

Club members pay yearly dues and meet monthly minimum requirements for meal purchases in exchange for exclusive use of space where they can dine, network and entertain clients.

It's not the first time Harrisburg's only private business club has had to move.

Founded in the 1950s by the late state Senate President Pro Tempore M. Harvey Taylor, the club met over the years in the old Penn Harris Hotel, the former Feller's Mens and Boys Store on Market Street, an Italian restaurant and finally Strawberry Square before disbanding in 1999.

When Susquehanna Twp. developer John O. Vartan opened Parev at 215 Pine St. in October 2001, he resurrected the club by offering it a new headquarters.

But a month after Vartan died on Dec. 15, the Vartan Group, which owns Parev, announced its closing, once again leaving the club homeless.

"This is kind of us going back to our roots, a hotel," Goodwin said. "We weathered setbacks and the closing of our [headquarters]. Our membership is probably at its highest."

harrisburger
Feb 1, 2005, 12:21 AM
glad to hear that restaurant's opening, but does anyone know exactly where it's going? here's to hoping it's decent food to go along with the view....eastside, as for cd's recent..problems, i couldn't believe it. for a while my friends there would talk about shooting up during classes and what not, but i never knew it was such a widespread occurrence....i guess this means cv wins...

EastSideHBG
Feb 1, 2005, 11:49 PM
glad to hear that restaurant's opening, but does anyone know exactly where it's going?
The last I heard it will be in the lot on the South end (right near the new parking garage on the island).

eastside, as for cd's recent..problems, i couldn't believe it. for a while my friends there would talk about shooting up during classes and what not, but i never knew it was such a widespread occurrence....i guess this means cv wins...
LOL No no, CV NEVER wins. :nono:

;)

Can we PLEASE fix this damn thing already?!?!?!?

New source of money sought for Old Shakey

It could cost $15 million to restore bridge

Monday, January 31, 2005
BY JERRY L. GLEASON
Of The Patriot-News

Nine years have passed since portions of the western span of the Walnut Street Bridge were destroyed in an ice-jam flood, but a local group hasn't given up hope of rebuilding the historic structure.

The Peoples Bridge Coalition is, however, looking for a different source of money to rebuild the bridge. The group is seeking economic development money instead of highway or transportation funding.

Ray Britcher, a coalition spokesman, said it would cost about $15 million to restore the bridge. That figure includes design work, environmental studies, reconstruction of the missing spans, a new western approach in Wormleysburg and a pedestrian bridge over Front Street in Wormleysburg.

"It will be almost impossible to get highway funds to restore the bridge, so we are focusing on economic development funding that could be tied in with other possible projects in Wormleysburg," Britcher said.

Joe Catalano, owner of Catalano's Restaurant in Wormleysburg, has announced plans for a major redevelopment project on Front Street, including offices, retail space and a parking garage*, and the borough government is considering a riverfront project that could include walking trails and other recreational amenities.

The Walnut Street Bridge, an iron truss structure popularly known as Old Shakey, opened in 1889. Crossing City Island, it linked the East and West shores. After being damaged in the flood accompanying Tropical Storm Agnes in 1972, the bridge was closed to vehicular traffic and became a pedestrian link to City Island.

Three sections of the bridge's western span were destroyed on Jan. 20, 1996, during a flood that also damaged the eastern span. The state Department of Transportation spent $6 million to repair and restore the eastern section between City Island and downtown Harrisburg.

Restoring the western span would be more costly because sections would have to be replaced, and extensive repairs made to the piers.

A study last year by Dickinson College economics professor William Bellinger estimated that restoring the bridge would have a positive impact of $16 million on the local economy.

"We hope to obtain funding for the bridge restoration within the next year or two, and it will take about three years to complete the project," Britcher said.

*This will be an AWESOME project!!! I posted the rendering of it last year when it was first announced. I have the rendering somewhere so I will have to dig it up and repost it.

EastSideHBG
Feb 2, 2005, 12:33 AM
I thought this was worth sharing. It just goes to show the shift and changes in our economy for the better: TecPort, the Sci-Tech High School (and Univ. coming soon), this...

NEWS INFORMATION FROM THE OFFICE OF MAYOR STEPHEN R. REED
City of Harrisburg
King City Government Center
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1678
Telephone: 717.255.3040
FOR IMMEDIATE USE
January 28 2005

TURBINE AIRFOIL DESIGNS INC. TAKES OVER FORMER CHROMALLOY AMERICAN MANUFACTURING PLANT IN HARRISBURG

Mayor Stephen R. Reed and officials from Turbine Airfoil Designs Inc. and its parent company of the Walton Johnson Group today Announced the companys recent purchase of the Chromalloy American Manufacturing plant at 1400 N. Cameron Street. The plant will operate as Turbine Airfoil Designs Inc. and employs more than 100 highly-skilled workers who manufacture engine components for the aerospace, airplane, land and marine turbine industries.

The Mayor was joined at todays announcement and ribbon cutting ceremony by John Walton, CEO of the Walton Johnson Group, a minority-owned merchant banking firm based in Dallas, Texas, and Richard Buckner, President of Turbine Airfoil Designs Inc.. Buckner will maintain his office in Harrisburg at the newly acquired plant.

Reed said the 300,000 sq. ft. manufacturing plant was originally built by the U.S. Government in the early 1940s and operated by the Harrisburg Steel Corporation for airplane engine manufacturing. At the conclusion of World War II The site was sold to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, who in turn leased it to the Thompson Products Company during the Korean War. Thompson was a principal producer of engine parts and assemblies for jet-propelled aircraft used by the U.S. Armed Forces and at its height in the mid-1950s employed more than 2800 workers.

The Mayor said the plant was later sold to TRW Corporation, who sold it to Chromalloy after a devastating nine-alarm fire in February, 1986 that remains the largest fire of the 20th Century in Harrisburg. Major outsourcing of work after Chromalloys takeover led to the layoffs of hundreds employees at the plant in the 1990s.

The Turbine Airfoil Designs plant has been an integral part of Harrisburgs manufacturing and businesses bases, said Mayor Reed. It is also an important part of our nations military support industry. The employees at this plant are some of the best trained and highly-skilled workers in the nation. We are delighted with the companys decision to continue their good work here. This plant and its workers have served America well during their more than half-century of operations here, a circumstance we hope will continue into the 22nd Century and beyond.

Walton Johnson Group President John Walton said they were delighted with the purchase of the plant and hope to significantly expand its business in the years to come. The employees of this plant are highly skilled and extremely dedicated, as evidenced by one such worker who has been at this plant since 1952. This is a company that has significant potential for future growth, and we think Harrisburg is a good place for that growth to occur.

New Turbine Airfoil Designs, Inc. President Richard Buckner echoed Waltons assessment, noting that the company is one of the few such manufacturing facilities in the world that specializes in turbine airfoil design and production, and the advent of even greater growth in the airline, aerospace and related advanced technology industries means there is a very bright future for this plant. We are thrilled to be in Harrisburg and salute the outstanding workforce that we were so fortunate to inherit. We hope theyll be joined by many more new employees in the years to come.

Reed said the plant has been an industry leader for many years in such patented special processes as surface coating, brazing, heat treating and more that have been developed or invented at the plant. Despite its downsizing over the years it is today still considered one of the finest jet engine component production facilities in the world.

The Walton Johnson Group is a minority-owned diversified holding company based in Dallas, Texas, with holdings in investment banking, asset management, real estate and merchant banking. The Walton Johnson Group is jointly owned by John Walton and William G. Mays, owner of the Mays Chemical Company in Indianapolis, Indiana

edncc1701d
Feb 2, 2005, 5:33 PM
I would like to see 'Old Shakey' fixed. I can remember that thing coming down; it must have been 6 or 7 years ago. It seems like they have been trying to get it fixed forever. It would really make sense for Wormleysburg to create better connections with City Island and Downtown.

I would also like to see the 'Catalano's Project' move along. It seems like they have been talking about that for a long time also. Last I remember hearing, Wormleysburg rejected a parking garage at the site which would is really needed in that area. It seems like Wormelysburg likes to make their parking situation worse. I remember when the Gingerbread man moved in, the owner offered to create a parking plan (lined street spaces, tags, etc) for the borough at his own expense -- of course the borough rejected it. Wormelysburg has a lot of potential along the river front which they should really take advantage of.

EastSideHBG... you might remember me... it has been a while since I posted on the site. I am really glad to see the progress Hbg has been making. :)

EastSideHBG
Feb 3, 2005, 11:04 PM
Hey edncc1701d, it's good to see you around here again!!! :)

Commissioners offer upbeat 'state of the county' message

Thursday, February 03, 2005

BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

On the heels of a rough budget year that ended with a 19 percent real estate tax increase for 2005, Dauphin County's commissioners last night talked of new initiatives and even had a huge "turning the corner" banner above the stage.

Plans to pursue a regional economic development summit and a call for creating a youth sports complex were among the major themes outlined to about 400 business and community leaders at the Hilton Harrisburg & Towers.

As for the timing of the annual "state of the county" address on the same day as President Bush's State of the Union speech, it was chalked up to just bad luck.

County officials said they'd planned the event -- paid for through corporate donations -- last November, before Bush's date was announced, and that changing dates wasn't practical.

The board knew it couldn't ignore the recent tax increase, which came on the heels of a 19.5 percent rise in 2004. But references were made early and kept brief.

"This past year was, quite frankly, one of the toughest I've ever had in public service," commission Chairman Jeff Haste said. "We spent the year putting the county's finances back on track."

Haste renewed his call for state lawmakers to give counties another way to raise revenue other than real estate taxes, which provide 70 percent of the county's money.

Regarding a youth sports complex, Haste said the area is missing out on the opportunity to host statewide and national competitions that could bring money to the area. He asked business leaders to help develop plans for such a complex, and also asked for their participation in a regional economic summit.

While the board didn't give a timetable for the summit, Commissioner George Hartwick III said it would be held in the next several months and would concentrate on long-range growth plans.

"We expect the summit will give us the important answers we need to develop a strong vision and attract global companies, as well as fostering the rich, entrepreneurial spirit we have right here in central Pennsylvania," Hartwick said.

Commissioner Nick DiFrancesco, who has spent much of his time overseeing the county's nursing home, said a corner has been turned there.

This year, Spring Creek Rehabilitation and Health Care Center in Swatara Twp. is expected to cost the county $4.1 million, down from $7.1 million in 2002.

"We also expect nothing less than a fiscally self-sufficient nursing home," DiFrancesco said, in a line that generated applause. "This facility has been a drain on the good people of Dauphin County for far too long."

EastSideHBG
Feb 3, 2005, 11:06 PM
Hotel would offer suite life at the Farm Show Complex

BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

The state Farm Show Complex is known for housing prize-winning cows, pigs and sheep on beds of hay.

Soon, the Farm Show grounds could be home to a hotel where people attending events or weary travelers can spend the night.

Crossgates Inc. of Harrisburg has proposed building a 150-room suite-style hotel on about 4.8 acres of Farm Show land that is now a parking lot.

The tract is at the northeast edge of the 90-acre Farm Show tract between Cameron Street and Industrial Drive.

Crossgates was the only firm to respond to a request for proposals last February by Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed and the state departments of General Services and Agriculture.

"We're very excited about it," said Frank Kane, General Services spokesman. "It's a great proposal, and it will be great for the city of Harrisburg."

Under the deal, Crossgates would buy the land from the state for about $605,000, or $126,000 an acre.

But before that can be finalized, the Legislature must pass a law approving the sale, a process that could take until June, said Rep. Ron Buxton, D-Dauphin County.

Construction would begin after that, he said.

It's not known when the hotel would open. Calls to Crossgates and its executive, Tom Powers, were not returned yesterday.

State officials said the company plans to build a Staybridge Suites Hotel with 150 suites, all of which would have separate bedrooms and living-room space.

Staybridge, a national chain with about 100 locations, bills itself as the "upscale suites hotel," with every room featuring a full kitchen.

The hotel also would feature a conference area, including meeting and banquet space, a restaurant and an indoor swimming pool.

It would be built to accommodate expansion, including additional floors.

Originally, there was talk that any hotel built on Farm Show grounds should be accompanied by a parking garage. But that would have added to the project's cost.

In the end, General Services decided there would be enough surface parking for the hotel and Farm Show events, Buxton said.

It is anticipated that most hotel patrons would be attending Farm Show events. And when the Farm Show is dormant, the hotel would attract travelers from Interstate 81 and Route 322.

"To have a hotel at that location is going to be a big asset," Buxton said. "It just makes sense."

The Farm Show Complex encompasses 17 acres of indoor exhibition space and is one of the largest meeting, convention and exhibition facilities in the country.

More than 125 events are held there over 280 days each year, attracting more than 1 million visitors.

EastSideHBG
Feb 3, 2005, 11:08 PM
I found this VERY interesting...

Carlisle project feels like $1 million

Rendell also pledges funds for Newville, New Cumberland

BY DAN MILLER
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

CARLISLE - Gov. Ed Rendell yesterday awarded $1 million to a key downtown Carlisle development project.

The state money will be matched with $1 million in private money to complete renovations to the second and third floors of Business Central, a retail and office center being developed in the former Woolworth building on North Hanover Street.

Officials estimate that the three to five high-tech firms moving into the new space at Business Central will attract 50 additional full-time jobs downtown.

A bank, jewelry store and Cumberland County government offices occupy the revamped first floor.

Rendell, who met at the center with local government officials and economic development representatives, also pledged money for other projects in Carlisle and Cumberland County, including:

--$35,000 to upgrade the facade of Carlisle Theatre on West High Street.

--$214,774 for street improvements in downtown Newville, including brick crosswalks, period lighting and traffic signals.

--$529,000 to New Cumberland for new sidewalks and lighting.

Newville is striving to "reinvent" itself, borough Mayor John Gatten told Rendell and other officials gathered for the presentation.

"Newville is a small and isolated town, which has no means of accomplishing on its own what it needs to thrive," Gatten said.

New Cumberland Mayor D.J. Landis said her residents "are going to be thrilled" with the governor's news. "We could not be happier," she said.

Rendell said the money demonstrates the administration's commitment to aid "mid-size and smaller municipalities."

These towns have "enormous potential" but face significant challenges, Rendell said, adding that quite possibly, "no city fits that description better than the Borough of Carlisle."

He noted efforts to retain The Dickinson School of Law and protect the Army War College on Carlisle Barracks from the 2005 round of nationwide base closings and realignment.

Rendell said he was "very concerned" about the future of the War College, but added that the war offered strong leverage.

"Bases are being called to step up productivity and the War College to step up training," Rendell said. "It gives us a good argument and a way for our bases to demonstrate their effectiveness."

Spudmrg
Feb 4, 2005, 2:37 AM
1) About time they start using that massive parking lot at the farm show, not to mention that this will bring property tax bucks to the city.....and they need it.

2) Anyone have tips on Harrisburg City real estate? Someone has asked me about any decent homes that have parking (IE, not really downtown).

EastSideHBG
Feb 4, 2005, 10:12 PM
2) Anyone have tips on Harrisburg City real estate? Someone has asked me about any decent homes that have parking (IE, not really downtown).
The Northern section of the city is one of my favorites (N 2nd, N. 3rd, etc.). Heck, even some of the rowhomes have off-street parking. Just look around and see if something jumps out at you.

More unnecessary sprawl. Hooray!!! What is it with this area and retail all of a sudden?!? I'm not complaing about the new things coming, of course that is a good thing. What I don't like is all of these stupid strip malls. Build a FEW big ones and be done with it...

*Of course I'd rather see something other then a strip mall, but if it must be, then a FEW is better then many scattered all about.

Swatara strip mall proposed for 2006

Center would have 2 anchor stores, freestanding sites

Friday, February 04, 2005
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

A Lancaster County developer and a Tennessee real estate company plan to open a $50 million shopping center on 43 acres behind the Wyndham Harrisburg-Hershey in Swatara Twp.

High Pointe Commons would house two anchor stores and several smaller stores, said H. Stephen Evans, retail division managing director of High Real Estate Group of Lancaster.

The project would include freestanding businesses such as restaurants and banks, he said. The 350,000-square- foot shopping center is expected to open in the fall of 2006, Evans said.

Evans would not disclose the names of any of the stores, but said the anchor tenants would be "probably national department stores."

"There is strong interest in having a supermarket," Evans said. "There also are five out-parcels which will have free-standing buildings."

As proposed, the shopping center would be a little more than half the size of Paxton Towne Center, which is 600,000 square feet, in Lower Paxton Twp.

Evans said High Real Estate Group and CBL & Associates Properties Inc. of Chattanooga, Tenn., have an agreement to buy the property from PPL Corp.

The property, which consists mostly of cornfields, was the site of a 21-acre corn maze shaped like the symbol of Children's Miracle Network to raise funds for that organization in 2002.

Swatara Twp. Manager Paul Cornell said that High Pointe Commons "will give people more shopping choices. Some people won't go to the discount stores, and the mall is going upscale. Some people don't want to travel on Route 22 and deal with the crowds there." [but what do you do after there are crowds in this area?!? :rolleyes:]

Evans said High Pointe Commons is needed "because the southeast quadrant of the East Shore isn't well served for the customer to have convenient access for retail shopping."

He said that Jonestown Road and Route 22 "has a great concentration" of retail shopping -- Colonial Park Mall, Colonial Commons and Paxton Towne Centre.

"Now, with the Harrisburg Mall and High Pointe Commons, there will be a complete array of shopping opportunities on this side, too."

The shopping center would provide the township with "a good tax base," Cornell said.

"The commercial tax base is very important in keeping residential real estate [tax] low," he said.

High Real Estate Group is a diversified company with steel, concrete and real estate divisions.

CBL is the fourth-largest mall real estate investment trust in North America and the largest owner of malls and shopping centers in the Southeast.

CBL owns, holds interest in or manages 173 properties, including 69 enclosed regional malls, in 28 states.

The shopping center would be bordered by I-283 to the west, Lindle Road to the south and Chambers Hill Road to the north.

Swatara Twp. Commissioner George Lebo said he supports building a grocery store in that area, "but it would be ridiculous to build a strip mall when this area has so many stores around already."

Cornell and Evans said that the developers already have taken the project to the Swatara Twp. Planning Commission.

"They are now in the redesign phase to make the plan comply with township ordinances," Cornell said.

The plan must comply with both the township planners and the Dauphin County Planning Commission.

Then the township board of commissioners would consider it during a public meeting.

Evans said the main entrance off Lindle Road would go through the Wyndham property, necessitating the tearing down of the multilevel parking garage.

He said that Chambers Hill Road would be considered "the back door."

Evans said he hopes to break ground this summer and complete the project by the following fall.

EastSideHBG
Feb 4, 2005, 10:14 PM
Just what the area needs, yet another dollar store. We don't have enough?!?

:???:

Store, offices planned for former nightclub

Friday, February 04, 2005
BY BARRY FOX
Of The Patriot-News

The Metron building is springing back to life.

But the one-time Cameron Street hot spot will not be reborn as a nightclub. Instead, it will house a Family Dollar store and a contracting company.

Joe Roberts of Duncannon is head of Welbuilt General Contracting and a principal in Brittany Capital Group, which paid $225,000 for the building at 400 S. Cameron St.

A contingency of the purchase was that the former owner handle necessary environmental cleanup. In the distant past, the building was an auto dealership, and underground gasoline and heating-oil tanks remain on the property.

In its heyday, in the 1980s and '90s, the night spot was known as Club Met and Metropolis.

The Metron was Harrisburg's stage for everything from musical big names, small names and no-names to comedians and 1960s philosophers to wet T-shirt contests, karaoke and beach volleyball.

Over the years, the club played host to Three Dog Night, Timothy Leary, the Chippendales, Wang Chung, Joan Jett and The Blackhearts, The Ramones, "Weird Al" Yankovic, Hall and Oates, Blue Oyster Cult, The Black Crowes, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam, E-Z Rock, Johnny Winter, The Village People, Peter Frampton, The Band, Dr. Hook and many more.

After a variety of incarnations, the club closed for good in 1996 after a shooting, and various city code violations were detected, including dangerous wiring. A church used the building for a short time in 2001.

Family Dollar will occupy about 9,200 square feet of the building. The discount store is expected to open July 15.

Welbuilt General Contracting will be the other occupant. The company specializes in commercial renovation work, Roberts said.

EastSideHBG
Feb 4, 2005, 10:28 PM
Good stuff, good stuff...

:tup: :carrot:

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67134

EastSideHBG
Feb 5, 2005, 3:06 PM
Interesting news for the area. I heard recently that the State Hospital may be turned into a casino/convention center once that closes down...

Realtors hope for slots-plan bonanza

There hasn't really been any trickle-down effect, and I doubt there will be much interest in putting stuff off site, because if they have all that on site, it would be sort of a waste.

Saturday, February 05, 2005

BY MEGAN WALDE AND ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

What will an extra $90 million investment mean for the proposed slot-machine facility at Penn National Race Course and for the neighboring rural Grantville community?

For starters, it could mean restaurants, slot machines, a club house, valet parking, a five-story parking garage and about 35 parking spaces for those arriving in limos.

That's all included in a plan Penn National Gaming Inc. submitted to government officials for a proposed $240 million slots casino, which originally was pegged at $150 million.

The proposal also could mean a boom in development around the track, which is off Exit 80 of Interstate 81. Realtors predict the investment will bring retail development on nearby property and higher real estate prices around Grantville.

RSR Realtors has seen "much more intense" interest in properties it is marketing in the Grantville area since Penn National said it wanted to get into the slot-machine business, according to Realtor Dennis McEnany.

The company anticipates an agreement soon on a 40-acre site near Penn National that is selling for $1.7 million, McEnany said. A year ago, it sold for $600,000, he said.

McEnany said he wouldn't be surprised to see a shopping center or outlet mall go up near Penn National after the slot-machine parlor opens.

Penn National's plan, which was presented to the East Hanover Twp. planning commission in January, calls for expanding the grandstand into a six-story, 325,000-square-foot grandstand and clubhouse with 7,500 seats.

If the company gets its state license, Penn National intends to open the facility in 2006.

Chuck Heller, an associate real estate agent with Landmark Commercial Realty, said Penn National Gaming Inc. may be thinking of a possibile expansion of gambling in Pennsylvania that would allow blackjack tables.

Such an expansion would transform Penn National from a day-trip attraction to an overnight destination, said Art Campbell, president of Campbell Commercial Real Estate Inc.

Penn National officials aren't offering more details.

"As we are still in the planning and approval process, and will not start construction until we have a gaming license in hand, we are not in a position to provide any more specific details," spokesman Eric Schippers said.

The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board has not yet established the process for applying for a gaming license, but $50 million of Penn National's $240 million project is earmarked for a license.

Nick Hays, spokesman for board chairman Thomas A. Decker, said yesterday, "The board is not going to comment on any potential applicant or licensee or their plans."

On Thursday, company chairman and CEO Peter M. Carlino said the Grantville facility will be "spectacular," similar to its Charles Town Races & Slots property in West Virginia. It is described as a functional venue, but not glitzy like a Las Vegas casino. Carlino would not offer more details.

Michael Rohrer, zoning officer for East Hanover Twp., said that, so far, other developers haven't submitted plans for hotels or restaurants in the area to piggyback off potential gambling success.

"There hasn't really been any trickle-down effect," Rohrer said, "and I doubt there will be much interest in putting stuff off site, because if they have all that on site, it would be sort of a waste."

Realtors are more optimistic.

"I think there'll be a certain amount of supportive development out there, for instance of the hotel and motel variety," said Gary Nalbandian, co-owner of NAI/Commercial Industrial Realty.

But "deeper," more service-oriented commercial development, such as beauty salons and stores, will come only after more residential development, he said. Future development will depend on what local residents want and on the availability of utilities, Nalbandian said.

The township is building a new sewage treatment system with a capacity for 250,000 gallons a day, 100,000 gallons more than its current system, said Becki Oller, a township supervisor.

The system, which is expected to be ready for operation in November, also can be expanded to 350,000-gallon-day capacity, and a "twin" can be built for a total capacity of 700,000 gallons a day, Oller said.

"It will allow for some development," she said.

The township doesn't have public water, but some developers have been talking to Pennsylvania-American Water Co., Oller said.

Penn National relies on a community well, Oller said.

Penn National's previous proposal was to build the casino area just off the entrance road and farther from the grandstand. In the proposal submitted to the planning board, the garage provides as much parking while covering less green space, Rohrer said.

Though it's not part of the building project, a wastewater treatment plant is also in the works on the east side of the property. The current plant would be demolished.

EastSideHBG
Feb 6, 2005, 3:57 PM
Council schedules sessions on city small-business loans

Sunday, February 06, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg City Councilwoman Linda Thompson wants to get the word out that there's money available to help start or expand city businesses.

Thompson announced that she will host a series of workshops to inform business owners how to apply for loans under the city's Community and Economic Development Block Grant Program.

In past years, the city's $3 million CDBG program has focused on improving Harrisburg's housing. This year, Thompson said she fought for $200,000 to be set aside for small business loans.

The so-called micro loans of up to $20,000 will go to businesses to help revitalize specific neighborhoods.

"Business development is one of our main bedrocks to grow our local economy and create job growth, which aids in restoring most of our inner city neighborhoods," Thompson said.

Workshops are scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Feb. 17 at the Neighborhood Center, 1801 N. Third St., and at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 24 at Mount Pleasant Hispanic Center, 301 S. 13th St.

For more information, contact City Council at 255-3060.

EastSideHBG
Feb 6, 2005, 4:14 PM
HIA official sees more turbulence for airlines

Sunday, February 06, 2005
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Although more travelers have used Harrisburg International Airport in the last few years, it's been a bumpy ride for the airlines that served them.

As for the future, airport Aviation Director Fred Testa has a few predictions for the airline industry in general and HIA in particular for 2005.

He suggested that US Airways and United Airlines may emerge from bankruptcy into a consolidation. "I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some sort of merger like they tried five years ago," he said.

Although passenger traffic at HIA increased more than 5 percent in 2004, HIA officials predict 2.5 percent growth this year. Testa, however, thinks it could be as high as 7 percent.

"Hopefully, we'll have another airline or some extra service by the year's end," he said.

Even as the major airlines struggle to right themselves by cutting costs and changing work rules, he said disruptions may continue because of fuel prices, fare issues and the political situation in the Middle East.

"They were forced by market conditions to make changes they were loath to do," Testa said of the major carriers. "Finally, reality has set in. No longer will you find airline executives with big golden parachutes."

Testa also found hope in the recent successful election in Iraq.

"If the terrorists could not mount a sustained attack, then everybody's fears are lessened," he said.

US Airways, the dominant carrier at HIA, had nearly a 34 percent share of the market in 2004, down from more than 50 percent a decade ago, Testa said.

The airline's second Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing last year stalled plans to replace some of its smaller turboprop planes, including those flown out of HIA, with larger regional jets with more seats. It also cut two of its flights out of HIA.

"We have shrunk as an airline," US Airways spokeswoman Amy Kudwa acknowledged.

Since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, US Airways has reduced its flight schedule nationwide by about 30 percent, she said. However, the airline added 245 flights just this month, Kudwa noted.

"So now we're focusing on a plan of growth," she said.

US Airways also downgraded its hub in Pittsburgh, which means it has more flights from HIA to Philadelphia instead.

Testa said central Pennsylvanians don't like to pick up connecting flights out of Philadelphia because it is the second-most delay-prone airport in the country, "and more often than not your bags disappear."

Travel agent Helen Bowman at Liberty Travel in Lower Paxton Twp. said she is booking as many US Airways flights as ever. But it takes more "coaxing" because the bankruptcy has alarmed people, she said.

Bowman said she isn't deterred from scheduling vacation flights on US Airways months in advance. She just tells clients to pay for the tickets on credit cards because that affords them certain protections if the company liquidates.

It's not as if the other airlines are doing a whole lot better. United Airlines, the second-busiest carrier at HIA in 2004 with nearly 19 percent of the market, also is operating under bankruptcy protection.

Third-place Delta Air Lines, which posted an industry-record $5.2 billion loss last year, and fifth-place American Airlines narrowly avoided bankruptcy by getting employee concessions.

Both Delta and United have increased passenger loads at HIA since 2001 by adding flights and seat capacity.

In an effort to attract more customers nationwide, Delta announced early last month that it was reducing by up to half its most expensive fares and eliminating an unpopular Saturday-night stay-over rule for cheaper tickets.

Several midstate travel agents said they haven't noticed any increase in demand for Delta tickets.

American Airlines announced it, too, would sharply reduce fares and penalties. Continental Airlines, Northwest Airlines, United and US Airways followed suit in select markets.

"Where there's competition, you'll find decent fares," Testa said.

Last fall, US Airways announced simplified fares, some as low as $89, from HIA to seven western destinations.

Spudmrg
Feb 6, 2005, 6:16 PM
HIA's in good shape, they've got access to the local cargo market, many local passengers for flights, and access to the major commuter hubs (I never understood how Detroit is a "commuter" hub).

EastSide, under the current slots bill, they can't turn Harrisburg State into a slots facility, because Penn National gets an "exclusion zone" for 20 miles in every direction from the track. So, until they revise the slots bill AGAIN, that's not really an option. Rumors I've heard is that the hotel they are putting in at the farm show complex will replace part of the hospital. However, that would delay the Farm Show/Hotel project until they close down the hospital, which even under current plans will take until mid-2006.

EastSideHBG
Feb 6, 2005, 7:22 PM
Ah okay, thanks a lot for the info, Spudmrg. I wouldn't be surprised if they revised the slots bill yet agin, though. Who knows. This state is a little :nuts: in my opinion...

EastSideHBG
Feb 8, 2005, 11:50 PM
Hard to believe, the last parcel is almost gone. I remember when there was so much open land around here!! On the bright side, at least they will keep much of the forest in tact...

Developer plans housing in Blue Mountain's shadow

Much of Susquehanna Twp. tract would remain forested
Monday, February 07, 2005
BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

The last large piece of undeveloped land in Susquehanna Twp. is being considered for what appear to be moderately sized single-family detached houses.

Bowmansdale-area developer Robert M. Mumma II has submitted an informal drawing for township review that calls for 208 houses on a 126-acre tract that hugs the Blue Mountain conservation district.

Much of the forested area would remain intact, with the plans calling for roads winding through the steeply sloped property that is bordered by Mountainview Road to the west, Buck Run Lane to the east and Blue Ridge Road to the south.

The township planning commission is scheduled to review the plan at its next meeting, at 7 p.m. Feb. 14.

Mumma, who is calling the development Beaufort Terrace, has built eight single-family houses to the east of the property, just across Buck Run Lane.

Mumma could not be reached for comment.

Frank Kessler, the township's zoning and codes enforcement officer, said the plan appears to meet the site's residential zoning, including the intent to keep as much open space as possible.

"That's the reason for the smaller lot sizes, to keep the open space," Kessler said.

He said the concept for the development is similar to the township's Mountaindale development, which also hugs Blue Mountain.

According to the sketch plan, the lot sizes will be about 8,000 square feet, with 20-foot front yards and 30-foot back yards.

Kessler said he didn't have more information regarding the kind of houses planned or when Mumma would want to start construction.

Typically, a developer gets comments on a sketch plan and returns to the township with a more detailed preliminary development plan, Kessler said.

As of last year, the township has approved development plans for more than 1,400 new houses, both detached and town houses.

"I think it's what the township needs -- the single-family detached homes," Kessler said. "A lot of the development in this area in recent years has been town homes."

EastSideHBG
Feb 8, 2005, 11:52 PM
/\
Btw, you know what happens when a place becomes built out: densification, higher housing prices...the HBG metro is turning an urban corner for sure, and this is evident in the quick spike in housing prices in the immediate area.

Hey look, even more sprawl!!!

Work starts on controversial Halifax Twp. housing project

Work starts on 160-house Halifax Twp. development

Tuesday, February 08, 2005
BY LAUREN ROONEY
For The Patriot-News

After five years of legal battles and debate, workers have broken ground on one of upper Dauphin County's largest housing projects.

Crews started work last week on the Lenker Estates housing development in Halifax Twp., along routes 147 and 225.

When finished, Lenker Estates will consist of 160 houses, each between 1,700 and 2,400 square feet, with prices of around $175,000. Developer Gary Lenker said he expects the first of the houses to be ready by July.

The project has been delayed by a series of lawsuits and appeals to the developer's plans by a group of residents. Some cited worries over increased traffic, runoff and drainage, and a private sewage treatment plant to serve the development.

"With more and more housing, which of course is on its way real fast, we are going to be the suburbs of Harrisburg," said Norma Shearer, president of the township board of supervisors.

"All we were asking was that the township ordinances be enforced and the developer follow the rules as would be required by any other developer," said Supervisor Linda Ruff, who was part of the citizens group that filed the legal actions.

On Dec. 28, Ruff's lawyer, Robert Radabach, advised her and other residents to drop their appeals.

The recommendation came after a meeting between Radabach, Lenker's lawyer Mark Silver, and Dauphin County Judge Bruce Bratton. Radabach would not comment.

Lenker said he is glad the project is finally clearing its last hurdles.

"The bottom line was the residents of a neighboring development just didn't want this development here," Lenker said.

Lenker said his project exceeds the township's subdivision and land-development guidelines. He said that while the required lot size for such a housing development is 15,000 square feet, more than half of his lots will be between 15,000 to 18,000 square feet.

"We're now looking at doing a development of more upscale housing than what I originally would have done because my costs have been driven up by the delays," Lenker said.

Lenker said he is installing curbs, sidewalks and street lights, which are not required by township rules, and will put aside three lots to be used as recreational areas for the Lenker Estates residents.

His company is paying for improvements to the intersection of routes 147 and 225, including a turning lane and changes to the traffic signal.

Ruff remains frustrated that the developer cut down two sycamore trees planted in 1922 in memory of fallen World War I soldiers.

"He said he was going to cut down one tree but removed two for the entrance" to the development, said Ruff, who is leading an effort to have the trees placed in the National Register of Historic Places. "It is extremely important we preserve these trees. The entrance could have gone someplace else."

Lenker said that the removal of the trees for the entrance was in the plans from day one.

Noting the battles over the Lenker Estates development and the prospect of more housing, Ruff and Shearer said the township needs to develop zoning ordinances.

The township has no zoning laws, and Shearer said some residents will not be happy about the prospect of adding zoning laws to designate where housing should and should not go.

"Some of the supervisors see it as a definite need," Shearer said. "We have to approach it thoughtfully and with an open mind."

edncc1701d
Feb 9, 2005, 8:30 PM
Harrisburg continues to grow, but not as I would like to see it grow. I guess these developments are what people like and what people feel they can afford. So it goes.

edncc1701d
Feb 9, 2005, 10:14 PM
http://www.pennlive.com/politics/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1107957600156960.xml

Calling Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed out of touch, complacent and self-serving, Jason N. Smith said he'll challenge Reed in the Democratic primary this spring.

"The mayor has to go if this city is to move forward," said Smith, 32, owner of the downtown design firm Fathom. "I have a very exciting vision for Harrisburg. I think it will be refreshing, and I think people are ready for it."
Last month, Smith joined the Democratic Party. He had been registered independent since December 2003 and before that was a Republican. Smith has said he favored President Bush in last year's election.

Any thoughts on this article? How long has Reed been mayor, 20 25 years now? I doubt anyone can unseat the Reed reign. The guy has genuinely done well for the city, his worst skeleton (politically speaking) is all but out of the closet and the city proper is strongly liberal (I am guessing here). Anyone think its time for a challenger to Reed or agree that nothing can unseat Reed?

EastSideHBG
Feb 9, 2005, 11:48 PM
I think Reed has done/is doing a fantastic job. Could someone do it better? Would the citizens be willing to take that gamble? THAT is the real question I guess. All that seems to come to mind for me is, "If it ain't broke don't fix it...", though.

*But I must say that I do like a lot of Smith's ideas and what he says. Hmm...

DT continues to do its thing. :carrot: :)

Upscale cafe with live jazz planned in city

Wednesday, February 09, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Cafe Fresco, known for its gourmet coffees, wraps and pizzas on the 3300 block of Paxton Street, is spawning a second, more upscale location on Harrisburg's Restaurant Row.

"Anybody would like to be part of the growth downtown," said Cafe Fresco owner Nick Laus in announcing his plans at a City Council meeting this week.

Laus plans to open his 110-seat restaurant at 215 Second St. sometime in April, further fueling the growth of downtown Harrisburg.

It will be located in a renovated space that formerly housed the Mulberry Lane gift shop next to Stock's on 2nd restaurant.

The announcement comes on the heels of plans for a $4.5 million restaurant and banquet facility to be built on City Island's east shore, just south of the Market Street Bridge.

Dubbed the Island Grill, the 28,800-square-foot building with more than 600 seats could be open as early as August.

In addition, a French-Quarter-themed eatery and nightclub is scheduled to open at 321 N. Second St. in about a year.

"The Quarter" would hold 1,200 to 1,400 people, with a basement jazz club, a first-floor bar and a second-floor restaurant and raw bar.

The new Cafe Fresco will offer a full menu of breakfast lunch and dinner, with an emphasis on espresso and gourmet coffees -- much like its companion location in Swatara Twp.

"I'd really like to become the gourmet coffeehouse of Harrisburg," Laus said.

But unlike the suburban restaurant that opened in 2002, the downtown location will have a liquor license that will allow Cafe Fresco to include a 12-seat bar and offer bottled beer, wine and drinks.

Laus said he's also planning live jazz music and other attractions to give the new restaurant a "metropolitan" feel.

"You can go in and have a glass of wine or a cappuccino and listen to some jazz," Laus said. "As you develop a new place, you always try to out-do the last one."

EastSideHBG
Feb 10, 2005, 11:24 PM
Not a bad idea really when you think about it. The Civil War Museum is a great place, but let's be honest here: it is now a big flop. Attendence is WAY down and there have been layoffs for years now. Hmm...could this have anything to do with the fact that A) the marketing and mgmt. was/is terrible and B) HARRISBURG ISN'T GETTYSBURG?

The more I think about this, the more interesting I think this election will be. I could see people crawling out of the woodwork to vote against Reed. Think about it: he really hasn't ran against anyone worth while in quite some time. But now...

Mayor candidate suggests closing Civil War Museum

Thursday, February 10, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg's National Civil War Museum would be closed to make way for a more accessible and serviceable city government center.

That's one of the ideas floated yesterday by Jason N. Smith as he announced his candidacy for the Democratic nomination for mayor.

"Move city hall to Allison Hill," Smith said under a campaign banner emblazoned with the image of a stopwatch and the slogan "It's time."

"I like the idea of moving the center of our government to the center of our city," he added. "It would be a civic center."

Among his proposals, Smith said he could sell Harrisburg's downtown government center on Market Square for an estimated $4.5 million and move city operations.

The switch also would rid the city of the museum, which opened in Reservoir Park in 2001 at a cost of $39 million, including $17 million in artifacts. Smith called it a failed venture and a continuing financial drain.

Smith unveiled a list of other ideas, including reforming the city's authorities and rewriting its building codes, but was reluctant to name his priorities until he has a chance to meet with more residents.

"The platform will take focus over time," he said. "This campaign won't be won with one speech. ... It will be won through a thousand conversations."

The overarching theme of the campaign is that Reed has worn out his welcome in his six terms as mayor.

"Twenty-four years are enough," Smith said. "Mayor ... your time is up."

Reed released a one-paragraph statement deriding Smith's candidacy, his past activism in the city and his qualifications.

Calling him "often inaccurate and frequently misguided," Reed said Smith "has neither the maturity nor the fortitude to serve in a city elective office, let alone as mayor."

Smith responded that he is the same age -- 32 -- as Reed was when he won his first term. But Smith acknowledged that his experience is as a business owner, not a "career politician." Reed, now 56, had been a Dauphin County commissioner and state representative prior to becoming mayor in 1982.

Smith, best known for fighting Reed's proposal for a Wild West museum, said he expected to be outspent and outmaneuvered by Reed. But he added that he doesn't view his newcomer status as a disadvantage.

"People are tired of hearing [Reed's] name," Smith said. "I don't think the mayor is as strong as conventional wisdom would hold."

Smith recently switched his political affiliation to Democratic, the city's dominant party. He'd been an independent since December 2003, and before that a Republican.

Smith said he's making a full-time commitment to the campaign, adding that his design firm, Fathom, would be run by employees.

"I'm not a politician," he said. "I'm an underdog, but I've always won. I expect a groundswell of support."

EastSideHBG
Feb 10, 2005, 11:28 PM
Adult businesses limited

L. Paxton amendment exempts existing stores, club

Thursday, February 10, 2005
From staff reports

Sex now has some restraints in Lower Paxton Twp.

Township supervisors voted Tuesday night to impose restrictions on businesses it classifies as "adult uses" -- including massage parlors, adult movie theaters and stores that sell sex paraphernalia and videos.

The "adult use" amendment won't affect existing businesses such as Excitement Video, Adult World and the Oasis Gentlemen's Club, all of which are along Jonestown Road near the Interstate 81 interchange.

Instead, the regulations bar new adult-oriented businesses from being placed within 500 feet of a residential area and or within 1,000 feet of another adult business, a school, church, library, park or day care.

The amendment places restrictions on signs, requires at least an acre per business, and bans "for public health reasons, private or semi-private viewing booths."

The amendment is one of several the township hopes to adopt before July, when it plans to update its entire zoning ordinance.

In the next few months, officials, acting on recommendations from its consulting firm, plan to adopt stricter environmental standards to regulate development near wetlands, steams and steep slopes, township manager George Wolfe said.

Township officials also want to place greater emphasis on encouraging open space preservation in new developments and in protecting historic areas such as the village of Linglestown.

Amendments, including the one adopted Tuesday, become effective on approval and will be included in the overall zoning ordinance when it is updated.

"As we review the ordinance, these are issues that are seen as priorities," said Wolfe, who added that township officials have not received any complaints recently about the existing adult businesses.

"We realized that our ordinance could be more restrictive with regard to adult uses, and we though that would be the easiest one to start with," Wolfe sai

Spudmrg
Feb 17, 2005, 3:05 AM
Hmmmm, been a bit slow lately......some major events going on behind the scenes.....

1)Tax Relief/Rebate....hot topic in the area, most local communities are using it, some for more services, some for tax relief. It looks like there is a backlash coming however.....

2)Army War College.....the Pentagon is looking for bases to close, and that location is'nt looking too busy. Rendell has pledged to hold all of the bases, but it may not possible.

3)New turnpike bridge......for anyone who drives on 230 in Steelton, there is a new construction site next to the turnpike overpass. That is where they are building the new $150 million 6-lane bridge to replace the old 4-lane bridge.

4)Public transit.......sure to be discussed between now and july......Capital Area Transit/Red Rose(Lancaster)/COLT(Lebanon)/Rabbit(York)....etc. are thinking about fare hikes.

Any comments?

Spudmrg
Feb 17, 2005, 3:10 AM
Hmmmmm, forgot no.5....

5)Ft. Indiantown Gap (I did'nt name the town, please don't flame me over it) wants more land to be able to practice more on it's property (those pesky tanks and cannons need lots of buffer space), but a proposed land swap with Harrisburg City and the State Game Commision just fell apart. "The Gap" is a very important regional employer, and is currently the 2nd busiest state national guard training site in the COUNTRY. While they can still train on most equipment, helicopters, and such, they need to go to upstate New York to train with the tanks, which is expensive.

edncc1701d
Feb 17, 2005, 8:26 PM
the more interesting I think this election will be. I could see people crawling out of the woodwork to vote against Reed. Think about it: he really hasn't ran against anyone worth while in quite some time. But now...
It looks like many of PAs big cities might have big political shakeups soon. Streets ongoing investigations in Phila, Murphys big problems in Pittsburgh and maybe its just time for Reed to move in Hbg. I do think Reed has done a good job; however, it seems like some of his ideas became over reaching in the end. Hmmm who knows what the Hbg voters will do? :dunno:

Not a bad idea really when you think about it. The Civil War Museum is a great place, but let's be honest here: it is now a big flop. Attendence is WAY down and there have been layoffs for years now. Hmm...could this have anything to do with the fact that A) the marketing and mgmt. was/is terrible and B) HARRISBURG ISN'T GETTYSBURG?
I agree, this museum should have been in Gettysburg to begin with. The Wild West museum was an idea that was way out there. I think many cities have gone museum/cultural center crazy with little to show for them. There is too much vying for tourist attention and too little money to spend on these things. A museum should have a large possible audience and should be located where it makes sense --- dont place the National Museum of Artic Exploration and Eskimo Heritage Center in Miami, FL (i.e. Wild West museum in Hbg).

I dont know about moving the city government outside of downtown (to the museum). I guess Hbg wouldnt suffer any loss from moving the employees outside the CBD as private companies would surely be willing to move in. Penn National Insurance would probably be interested in take over the citys building next to them as they already own the air rights over the structure. (The original idea was to build a skywalk over the city building connection PNIs parking garage to their office building, but it never happened.)

Public transit.......sure to be discussed between now and july......Capital Area Transit....etc. are thinking about fare hikes.
It is the same problem with transit for the whole state. The state really does need to fix this problem. I believe that mass transit should get equal funding to the other modes of transportation (roads, airports, etc); however, the transit agencies (especially in Pgh) need to work on bringing down the cost --- especially in payment to drivers etc. The state cant let public transportation go down the tubes, especially in the states larger cities. :hell:

EastSideHBG
Feb 17, 2005, 11:24 PM
/\
Agreed.

Hey, how about all the homicides in HBG these days guys? 3 already in under a week and DOZENS of shootings. '05 has been a violent, violent year thus far, and I don't see it getting better anytime soon. :no: :tdown:

Now on to a somewhat lighter note (and I said "somewhat" because Cumberland Co. is still not 100% sold on the rail idea....morons).

Train station proposals to be debated in public

Thursday, February 17, 2005

From staff reports

Workshops to discuss how to develop or redevelop the land around three proposed West Shore train stations begin this week.

The sessions, hosted by Gannett Fleming, will be held today in the community room at the Lemoyne borough building at 655 Market St. and Wednesday at the Hampden Twp. Facilities Building off Sporting Hill Road.

Sessions are scheduled from 2 to 4 p.m. and from 6 to 8 p.m.

The meetings are part of the preliminary engineering phase of the $87.6 million project to revive regional rail service on a section of CorridorOne between Lancaster and Hampden Twp. CorridorOne is the 54-mile rail line between Lancaster and Carlisle.

Stations are proposed near the West Shore Plaza in Lemoyne, the former Ames Plaza and on an undeveloped tract between Trindle and Simpson Ferry roads in Hampden Twp.

"We're hoping to generate some ideas for what would be acceptable and perhaps desirable as far as transit-oriented development," said Michelle Brummer of Gannett Fleming.

Anyone interested in attending may call Brummer at 763-7212, extension 2177.

Preliminary engineering for the project is expected to be complete by late summer or early fall. Capital Area Transit expects to have trains running between Lancaster and Harrisburg late in 2007. Service would extend west to Hampden Twp. in early 2009, and to Carlisle in 2011.

EastSideHBG
Feb 18, 2005, 10:14 PM
I know some people laugh, but to go from having next to nothing around here and big retailers laughing at you to, all of a sudden, big names coming into the area in the last few years, it's a big deal. :)

Area nets its first Banana Republic

Upscale clothier will join The Shoppes in Susquehanna Twp.

Friday, February 18, 2005
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

The Shoppes at Susquehanna Marketplace has bagged a national retailer once identified with safari-style clothing and now associated with fashionable professionals hunting for the "casual luxury" look.

An 8,500-square-foot Banana Republic store -- the area's first -- will open in late summer at the upscale shopping center off Interstate 81 and Progress Avenue in Susquehanna Twp., according to Ray Brunt, leasing agent for Stanbery Development, the center's builder.

Banana Republic sells clothing for men and women, seasonal accessories, shoes, personal-care products and gifts for the home.

The nearest store is in Lancaster.

Dave La Torre, president of Harrisburg Young Professionals, called Banana Republic "one of the premier clothiers for young professionals in their 20s and 30s." He likened it to an "upscale Gap."

The store has appeal to other age groups, as well.

La Torre's colleague at William J. Green & Associates in Harrisburg, Patricia Wood, said she also likes to shop at Banana Republic when she visits New York.

She describes herself as old enough to "qualify for a senior citizen movie pass."

"I love it. It's classic styling. ... I think it's very good value for the money," she said. "In New York, you see all ages [shopping there] because it's classic."

La Torre, who shops at Banana Republic when he visits Philadelphia, sees the store's entrance into this market as significant.

"It really shows people are starting to notice central Pennsylvania. Clearly, our profile is reaching new levels. A decade ago, Harrisburg wouldn't have been on Banana Republic's screen," he said.

Banana Republic started in 1978 with two stores and a catalog and has grown to more than 400 stores in the United States and Canada.

It is a brand under Gap Inc., which also operates Gap and Old Navy stores.

Gap Inc. reported $4 billion in net sales for the third quarter of last year and $15.9 billion in revenue for fiscal 2003.

Also coming to the Shoppes at Susquehanna will be a 6,000-square-foot New York and Company store, scheduled to open this spring, and a Macaroni Grill restaurant, scheduled to open in mid-April, Brunt said.

New York and Company is an "upper moderate women's apparel chain," with a store already in Harrisburg Mall in Swatara Twp., he said.

Both Banana Republic and New York and Company signed long-term leases, bringing the 26-store shopping center's occupancy rate to about 80 percent, Brunt said.

Five smaller storefronts, each with 2,000- to 4,000-square-feet, remain to be filled.

Negotiations are under way with possible tenants for some of those spaces, he said.

Brunt said national retailers in the Shoppes at Susquehanna reported sales figures for November and December that "far exceeded their wildest expectations. They had a great season."

Tenants in the shopping center, which opened last fall, include Ann Taylor Loft, Chico's, Coldwater Creek, Jos. A. Bank, Bombay, Williams-Sonoma, Plum Bottom, J. Jill and Talbots.

EastSideHBG
Feb 18, 2005, 10:18 PM
HUGE news!!! :carrot: And it's funny how they mention the other project, which I *thought* was cancelled not too long ago. Maybe it is back on? Maybe something similar is taking its place? I will see what I can find out and let you guys know...

Trading spaces?

Front Street manors could give way to condos

BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

A noted interior designer has plans to change the look of Harrisburg's North Front Street by constructing a sprawling, $30 million luxury condominium building.

The 32 units would feature terraces, balconies and sweeping views of the Susquehanna River. The building has been proposed for a 1.9-acre tract between Division and Manor streets.

But to make way for the five-story structure, three large houses built between 1916 and 1925 and now used as offices would have to be moved or razed.

Historic Harrisburg Association has issued a "preservation alert" to rally opposition to any demolition plans.

The project is the brainchild of Mary Knackstedt, owner of Mary K Interiors Inc., who lives and works at 2901 N. Front Street, one of the tracts needed for the condo building.

She said some of the condos could approach 4,000 square feet and sell for $1 million or more. None would be smaller than 2,220 square feet.

"We have several people interested, but we don't have 32," Knackstedt said, adding that she'd like to sell most of the units before breaking ground.

The proposed project may be a sign that upscale condos are fast becoming a new trend in Harrisburg real estate.

In July, another developer proposed a downtown high-rise that would feature at least 90 condominium apartments.

"People of a certain age want to move back to the city -- but where?" Knackstedt said. "This will be the lead of what I see happening in Harrisburg."

The possible demolition of the three brick-and-stone manors between 2901 and 2917 N. Front St. -- all owned by Knackstedt -- has Historic Harrisburg concerned.

"As it stands now, we are opposed to the plans," said Diane McCormick, president of Historic Harrisburg.

She said one of the houses had been the residence of prominent retailer Mary Sachs. Historic Harrisburg is investigating the background of the other properties.

James Frey, architect of the condominium building, said none of the houses is on historic registers or preservation lists. He added that the zoning permits such a project.

"None of the structures are of historical significance," Frey said. "There are no regulations that say we couldn't do this."

Mayor Stephen R. Reed has talked with Knackstedt and initially was encouraging, according to Reed's spokesman.

At that time, however, Reed did not know many of the details, including the demolition plans, said spokesman Randy King.

"He was supportive, just as he would be of any major development," King said.

"It would be the first waterfront condo of its type in Harrisburg," he said. "At the same time, those [existing] buildings are assets to Front Street, and it would be a shame to see them lost."

Knackstedt said the houses, especially their foundations, have been damaged by repeated flooding. Two of the three need major repairs.

"Keeping them in healthy condition is almost not possible," she said.

Knackstedt said she would be open to moving the houses intact, if that can be done and alternative sites are available.

"If they can be moved, that's my first preference," she said. "I don't know who would want them."

Beyond historical concerns, McCormick added that Harrisburg risks tarnishing its scenic northern gateway if it allows three stately buildings to fall to development.

"People are always so impressed with what a beautiful stretch Front Street is," she said. "This really has to do with the character of Front Street. It has to do with the character of the city."

Knackstedt countered that her plans call for exterior designs, building materials and landscaping that would add to Front Street's charms, not detract.

"It will look like its been there for 100 years," she said. "I plan to live there, and I intend to do everything in a respectful fashion.

The building would feature enclosed parking for 146 vehicles, including a ground level parking deck and two decks underground. But there would be no entrances or exits onto Front Street.

The 32 condo suites would be housed on the upper four floors of the five-story structure, with eight units per floor.

The building would be 57 feet high on a 23,445-square-foot footprint.

Last July, Reed announced that 90 luxury condominium apartments would be part of a 25-story tower to be built at Fourth and Market streets.

That 800,000-square-foot complex, expected to cost upwards of $100 million, was proposed by Phoenix Development Corp., a consortium of The Flynn Group, Pascotti Real Estate and Reynolds Construction.

Knackstedt, who travels frequently and keeps a second apartment on New York City's Upper West Side, is known for using both her local apartment and her office as a "living laboratory," where she tests prototypes of chairs and other furniture she has designed.

Austinlee
Feb 18, 2005, 11:03 PM
Those sound like a couple of great projects for the big H. I hope to see some pics of once they start construction. HINT HINT, WINK WINK...

EastSideHBG
Feb 19, 2005, 3:21 PM
/\
Oh but of course, PA Pride. :yes: ;)

I don't really care for Middletown (at all LOL). But I wanted to post this because it is yet another example of how many parts of the metro are now maxed out and have no where else to grow.

Woodland Hills developer seeks OK for smaller lots

Middletown to weigh zoning for modified project

BY DIANA STRICKER
For The Patriot-News

A developer has revised its plans for houses in one of Middletown's last big open spaces.

H-T Partners LLC of Landisville wants to construct about 300 single-family houses on a 167-acre tract in the Woodland Hills neighborhood. A previous proposal called for 212 single-family houses but included 78 duplexes and 82 town houses.

The Middletown Borough Council is considering creating a zoning designation for the Woodland Hills area that would permit single-family houses to be built on smaller lots than currently allowed.

Council members objected to the multifamily units and asked the developers to revise the plans, even through they met zoning requirements. Talks have been conducted since July.

At a council meeting Tuesday, project engineer Gary Roeder said the current proposal is a compromise between the developers and the borough. Roeder said the plan eliminates the duplexes and town houses but allows more flexibility in designing the single-family houses.

"The lot-size requirements didn't allow for the type and variety of homes we plan for the site," Roeder said. "We feel this is a win-win for everybody."

The ordinance is scheduled for discussion at the March 7 council meeting. If the council agrees to advertise the proposal, a public hearing will be held in April before a final vote is taken.

Borough Manager Jeff Stonehill said the ordinance would create a "new category of zoning" for the Woodland Hills area, which is north of the turnpike between Vine and North Union streets. "It is a distinct and unique part of the borough. There is no other like it," he said.

This is the third time in recent months that borough officials have grappled with zoning in Woodland Hills. The council attempted to change the zoning last summer but was unsuccessful because development plans had already been submitted.

Roeder subsequently agreed to omit the multifamily buildings and asked the zoning hearing board for a variance to reduce the lot-size requirements. The zoning board denied the request in November, saying that variances are usually granted on a smaller scale and that the request was "more like rezoning a whole district."

Stonehill told the council that the newest proposal "would accomplish what you said your goals were" regarding the elimination of multifamily buildings.

"We get the single-family units, and they get the smaller lots," he said.

Stonehill said the proposed ordinance would reduce the minimum lot size from 7,500 square feet to 6,000 square feet.

The borough solicitor said the change would be legally permissible since the developers agreed to the change.

Roeder said some lots would retain the larger dimensions. He said that about half of the land would remain as open space or wooded areas and that most of the houses would abut the open areas.

H-T Partners bought the land in March 2004 for $642,500. The tract comprises the majority of land in the Woodland Hills neighborhood, which includes a few houses, the Middletown Swim Club and two churches.

Xeelee
Feb 21, 2005, 2:29 PM
looking pretty good.

EastSideHBG
Feb 21, 2005, 3:19 PM
Thanks Xeelee!!!

Hey did any of you guys see the bitching in that editorial in the Sunday paper yet? I knew it wouldn't take long. :rolleyes: "Why do we need condos here?" and "Why do they need to be along the waterfront in that area, this isn't Annapolis" and "Save those historic homes!" and blah blah blah. I swear to God, there are some people in this area who will be against ANYTHING. You could put out a proposal for clean air and they would argue against it. Hell, come to think of it, they actually did do that when emissions inspections came into effect around here last year LOL

I hate to break it to these people, but if they haven't noticed already, Harrisburg is not the same town it was 20 years ago. Get used to it and GET OVER IT. If you don't like it, move to Chambersburg or some shit...

:)

Spudmrg
Feb 21, 2005, 4:28 PM
Calm down EastSide......it's not like they can do anything to stop the condos.....the zoning and property deal is already done. That said, it is sometimes sad to see old places like that be demolished. However, it's said that they already have flood damage, so maybe it's better to demolish them now than wait until another major flood and have to demolish them then, and not have anything to replace them with. I want to see design drawings of this condo complex before I comment on the condo concept. There are many great looking condos out there....and bad ones too.

Speaking of building up, I don't have a link, but the Lancaster Sunday Paper indicated that the builders of a 18-story condo complex in Columbia (Right along the river) have already completed the prelim ground work for the construction, and have checked for any enviromental problems as well (they came up clean), as the site used to be some sort of metal factory. Looks like that project's on the fast-track. When completed, it will be the tallest building in Lancaster County, beating out the current record holder, which is 11-stories in downtown Lancaster City.

wrightchr
Feb 22, 2005, 1:53 PM
^ hey now...i've been out of touch for awhile, but it comes to mind that there are a few parcels of land that are vacant along north front street. why aren't these areas being developed into condos or midrise buildings? one of them is owned by vartan and is really close to downtown. i'm not a big fan of demolishing perfectly good buildings when there are lots nearby that are empty and have been for decades. it makes no sense; however, it's economics i guess. maybe the land is cheaper or it's less of a hassle to buy and raze buildings, than to buy and build new?

the new residential building for columbia sounds really cool. i didn't know about it. columbia is a decent size town as well, with a storied history. did you know it was once considered to be the site of the nation's capital?

anyway, i'm doing well Dave. thanks for asking in your other post. kosovo is nothing like home, or the rest of Europe i've seen so far. conditions are pretty bad here and the people are very poor. unemployment is around 60-70% and there is a lot of crime. i'll try to check in every once in a while and keep you updated. i've been really busy since hitting the ground here. take care!

EastSideHBG
Feb 23, 2005, 4:02 AM
Hey Chris, good to hear from you!!! Stay safe out there and I look forward to talking with you soon. :)

As for me, I am all about preserving history as much as the next guy. But a few houses that *might* be historic and with possible flood damage? I say out with the old and in with the new baby!! :carrot:

*And the only open parcel of land I can think of along Front St. (in city limits) is the small vacant lot near Verbeke St. There is no way you would get a decent sized condo building on that; it's pretty small.

Speaking of, that parcel of land has been open for a long, long time. I remember that lot being vacant when I was a kid. I wonder why, it's a great location. :???:

Calm down EastSide......
NEVER!!! As long as there are NIMBYs in this town, I will always be wound up and fighting the good fight...

...and being that we live in South Central PA aka NIMBY Central, I am always wound up. ;)

EastSideHBG
Feb 23, 2005, 11:19 PM
Township planners give OK on casino

Revised details sent for East Hanover supervisors' review

Wednesday, February 23, 2005
BY PHYLLIS ZIMMERMAN
For The Patriot-News

Plans for a $240 million slots casino at Penn National Race Course's Grantville track are ready for the East Hanover Twp. supervisors.

The township's planning commission, an advisory body, last night forwarded revised plans for expanding the horse-racing facility to the supervisors, who could vote on the matter as soon as next month.

Initial plans for a $150 million facility were approved by the planning commission in October 2004, but Penn National submitted expanded plans in January. A revamped grandstand and parking garage were among the key changes.

Several citizens spoke against the project last night, citing concerns about increased traffic and congestion.

"I know there are a lot of people disapproving of this plan and all the crime and traffic it will bring. It will turn this small, little, rural community into an Atlantic City," resident Jennifer Burke said.

Real estate investors have predicted a lot of development around the track, which is off Exit 80 of Interstate 81.

Penn National's plans include restaurants, slot machines, a club house, valet parking, a five-story parking garage and 35 parking spaces for customers arriving in limousines. The company would expand the grandstand into a six-story, 325,000-square-foot grandstand and clubhouse with 7,500 seats.

It would build a 25,000-square-foot racing building north of the grandstand for use during construction of the larger grandstand/clubhouse. A paddock that would be built next to that building eventually would become a warehouse.

John R. Rauen, Penn National vice president, said the work should take about a year to complete. If the company gets its license from the state as anticipated, it could open the slots parlor in 2006.

Last week, the township zoning board signed off on the parking garage, the township's first.

Developers also were given permission to create smaller parking spaces than required by township codes. The 2,170 interior parking spaces would measure 9 feet by 18 feet instead of 10 feet by 20 feet as normally required. The 1,900 outdoor spaces would conform to current township codes.

The garage project, which is estimated to total around $25 million, still must be approved by township supervisors.

Gov. Ed Rendell and state lawmakers last year signed off on legislation allowing 14 slots parlors around the state. The state expects to receive $1 billion in revenue from slots, which Rendell has said would pay for property tax rebates.

EastSideHBG
Feb 23, 2005, 11:22 PM
A few things of interest here...

TRADE TALK

Triple Crown Corp. of Lower Paxton Twp. has purchased the Health America building in TecPort Business Center, Swatara Twp., from TecPort Partners.

The 143,200-square-foot building on 11.5 acres is fully leased.

With the acquisition, Triple Crown has more than 1.4 million square feet of commercial space that it manages.

Mark X. DiSanto, Triple Crown CEO, and Crossgates Inc. handled the sales transaction.

John Snowden of Elizabethtown has purchased the former Sight and Sound building at 180-192 Second St., Highspire, as the location for a Triumph motorcycle dealership.

The building will have 8,123 square feet of showroom and service space.

The sale was handled by Eric J. Swidler of NAI/Commercial-Industrial Realty Co.

10,000 Friends of Pennsylvania has leased 1,700 square feet of office space in the Mary Sacks Building at 208 N. Third St., Harrisburg.

The statewide alliance of organizations and individuals is committed to land-use policies and actions that will strengthen the diverse urban, suburban and rural communities in the state and reduce sprawl.

Erik Kunkle of Property Management Inc. represented the lessor.

Andy Kohr of Campbell Commercial Real Estate Inc. represented 10,000 Friends.

Robert and Melody Richardson have purchased an 11,000-square-foot retail building at 5223-5225 Simpson Ferry Road, Hampden Twp.

The property will be renovated and used primarily for future retail development. Several smaller retail tenants will remain in the building.

Sale negotiations were handled by Mark R. Coakley of NAI/Commercial-Industrial Realty Co. for the Richardsons, and Gordy Banzoff of RSR Realtors for A House 4 You LLC.

Classic Communities will open a regional headquarters office in a third-floor, 8,036-square-foot suite it has purchased in the Saratoga Building at 2151 Linglestown Road, Susquehanna Twp.

William M. Gladstone of NAI/Commercial-Industrial Realty Co. represented the property owner.

Garrett Rothman of RSR Realtors represented Classic Communities.

Smith Land & Improvements sold 24 acres along Carlisle Road in Hampden Twp. to Classic Communities, which has preliminary approval to build 163 town homes on the property.

Jim Helsel, Bill Rothman and Al Simokat of RSR Realtors handled sale arrangements.

Trusecure Corp. has expanded its offices by 3,029 square feet at 1000 Bent Creek Blvd. in the Bent Creek Office Park, Silver Spring Twp.

Joseph A. Bedard of NAI/Commercial-Industrial Realty Co. assisted in lease negotiations with RSM Associates, the property owner.

Oakview Associates sold two office buildings, totaling nearly 27,000 square feet, at 4775 Linglestown Road to Touchdown Flannery.

The $2.55 million sale was handled by Jason Grace of Landmark Commercial Realty, representing the buyer, and Bill Rothman and Greg Rothman of RSR Realtors, representing the seller.

Facilities Planners + Architects Inc. of Susquehanna Twp. has been selected to provide design and project-management services for lobby and office renovations planned by Morefield Communications of Camp Hill.

Sacunas Stoessel, a marketing firm in Harrisburg, says its branding campaign on behalf of Mount Nittany Medical Center has been named one of the top public relations programs in the nation by The Holmes Report, a weekly trade publication for the public relations industry.

EastSideHBG
Feb 23, 2005, 11:24 PM
:tup:

Bank contributes to Steelton improvement program

BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Citizens Bank contributed $24,000 to Steelton's Main Street facade program yesterday, a move bank President William MacKenzie said he hopes will improve the borough's economy and create more jobs.

The money will be disbursed over three years in grants of up to $2,500 for window and door replacements, awnings, new lighting, paint, brick re-pointing and trim restoration for storefronts in downtown Steelton. Local business owners must match any money received in grants.

Bank and borough officials are counting on such exterior improvements to improve the business climate in the aging steel town.

"It does everywhere else," MacKenzie said. Customers "want to go someplace that's attractive."

The bank's funding came from the Citizens Bank Foundation, the principal charitable-contributions arm of Citizens Financial Group, Citizens Bank and Charter One Bank. MacKenzie presented the check in front of Roller's Pizza at 21 N. Front St.

Jose and Lisa Chacon, owners of the pizzeria and the building that also houses a tattoo shop, said they will make good use of one of the grants.

"We plan to put some awnings on and touch up the paint," Jose Chacon said.

He said he got an estimate, and "it was way over what I could afford on my own. ... The awnings alone will come to about $5,000."

The 100-year-old building that has housed Roller's Pizza for five years formerly was home to a Woolworth's store and then Lawson's Furniture, Steelton Mayor Thomas Acri noted.

The facade-improvement program will begin this spring with the goal of eventually fixing up about 20 business properties along Front Street, between Gibson and Mohn streets, according to Christina Fackler, manager of the program.

Other planned improvements include brick sidewalks, wrought-iron benches, flower-filled brick planters and streetlights resembling old-fashioned gaslights.

Steelton has received about $900,000 in state grants for the program.

wrightchr
Feb 24, 2005, 6:24 PM
^ awesome project. steelton really needs a facelift!

harrisburger
Feb 25, 2005, 2:24 AM
i realized the other week that i've never been to downtown steelton before, on the outskirts but never on the main drag. so, naturally, i forced friends to come with me, and we walked around town for an hour or two. i know it's odd, but i find its nearly-decrepit state quite charming, oh well...the price of progress will soon take over, but it's for the best so i don't feel so bad

EastSideHBG
Feb 26, 2005, 5:59 PM
Yeah, DT Steelton has A LOT of potential and I can't wait to see it evolve!!!

Here is something interesting, Jason Smith's site (he is the one running against Reed for Mayor):

http://www.smithforharrisburg.com/

I think the guy has a shot!!! I think Reed is doing/has done a fantastic job, but I must admit, I agree with his ideas and ways of doing things less and less. And I do feel he somewhat buried himself with all of those whacky museum proposals. :nuts:

Here is some of Smith's ideas that he posted in a forum. (http://karchner.com/blog/archives/2005/02/09/fathom-that/) I have been saying the same thing for YEARS (a gaslamp-type of area where the streets close at a certain time and become pedestrian only):

"I envision a city that has multiple arts and cultural venueslive theatre, jazz clubs, galleries, coffee houses, street music, and more. (Not saying close Whitaker by any means, but that a rising tide raises all boats and a thriving arts CULTURE is what we need). I believe that Midtown is the ideal place for a cultural corridor and I believe we should consider a gaslight district on 3rd St. Midtown similar to the one in San Diego and elsewhere. I think we should close the street at 6PM or so and thereby create a walking district with a concentration of artistic and cultural venues. Mind you, Midtown is already known for art cinema, rare books, and delicious ethnic foods. And it is where I have proposed we place the African American Heritage Center (with its own performance space, museum, small business incubator, jazz club, and restaurant). Hook all of this in with a rejuvenated Broad Street Market and some additional parking and we could see a major tourist destination for our city, perhaps dwarfing and complementing restaurant row and providing a magnet for artists regionally."

EastSideHBG
Feb 27, 2005, 4:08 PM
Did anyone catch the Real Estate section in the Patriot today? There is a really great article in there about Kirsten Page from 21 news and her husband moving back into the city to raise their family. The article is entitled "Back in Town: Harrisburg sees resurgence in midtown, uptown areas". Be sure to check it out!!!

Some stats from the article. VERY impressive:
In 2004, 167 properties sold in [lists Midtown, Shipoke, the CBD, etc.] for a total of $16.3 million. That is up from 127 sales for a total of $12.7 million in the same 'hoods in '03.
Real estate values in the region climbed 9.5% in '04.
Traditionally there are more then 3,000 properties for sale in Central PA. In '04, there were typically only 1,800 properties on the market at any given time.
Avg. days for a property on the market dropped from 89 days in '00 to 52 days in '04.
In '03, Harrisburg issued a record 1,763 building permits, representing $351.5 million in new investment, a 12.5% increase over the previous year.
Harrisburg's pop. reached a peak of 89,544 in 1950. By 2000 it had declined 45% to 48,950.
From '82 - '00, about 5,300 new and rehabilitated housing units were created in the city.

And yet another great article, "City Living Proves Rewarding" (http://www.pennlive.com/business/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/business/1109413233238170.xml) (this one is about York City).

Spudmrg
Feb 28, 2005, 1:05 AM
Great job Harrisburg! Since I don't have a copy of the article in front of me....what's the "CBD"? Not bad for a city which most people write off before they look at it. :rolls eyes: Yeah.....I want to be stuck in gridlock for the rest of my life. I thought the "city living" article was good as well.

Hmmmm, I see that PA-283 almost decided to rush CorridorOne in a tad early, as one of the bridges in Lancaster County decided to fail inspection. PennDot had to shut down part of the road until they could shore up the bridge. Imagine what will happen when (not if) the traffic levels get too high to just shut down part of the road in the middle of the day.

EastSideHBG
Mar 2, 2005, 4:19 AM
Spudmrg, CBD is "Central Business District".

Spudmrg
Mar 3, 2005, 10:27 PM
Doh! :slaps self: I see they cancelled the condo plan, I mean they withdrew it (minutes before it was rejected). It's interesting that they contractor for the plan was Phoenix Construction, who built 10 North Market Tower, and were going to/are building the "residence" tower. I never got a good enough plan to make a choice on what the building would have looked like, so I don't know what to say. I was under the impression that there was a height restriction on front street, or was that just a proposal?

EastSideHBG
Mar 3, 2005, 11:55 PM
/\
Yeah, I heard. :( I was all for the condo plan but what can ya do...here's to hoping it relocates elsewhere in/near DT. The article:

Developer withdraws plans for city condos

Front Street project faced 'insurmountable' problems, mayor says

Thursday, March 03, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

A roomful of concerned residents was poised to mount an impassioned defense of three threatened mansions on Harrisburg's Front Street.

Then came a surprise announcement near the end of the meeting:

Property owner Mary Knackstedt was withdrawing her plans to demolish the three brick-and-stone manors between 2901 and 2917 N. Front St. and construct a 32-unit luxury condominium building.

The announcement by city planning Director Dan Leppo short-circuited any public debate. The planning commission quickly adjourned the meeting, saying there was nothing left to discuss.

Project opponents, including members of Historic Harrisburg, filed out feeling wary that the plans could be re-submitted and the mansions threatened anew.

"We're not declaring victory," said Diane McCormick, Historic Harrisburg president. "We're going to stay on top of this."

Knackstedt's withdrawal may have been a pre-emptive move, as the city was poised to recommend denial of her plans.

City officials said Knackstedt and her team were informed just prior to the meeting that the city's planning department was recommending that the five-member planning commission turn down the plans.

Soon after, Knackstedt withdrew the project. She left the meeting without making a comment. She could not be reached last night.

Knackstedt is owner of Mary K Interiors Inc. She lives and works at 2901 N. Front St., one of the tracts needed for the condos.

After the meeting, Mayor Stephen R. Reed issued a written statement saying while he supported condos and other housing, Knackstedt's plans faced "insurmountable" problems regarding planning code regulations.

But even more important, Reed said, the demolition of charming 1920s-era mansions in favor of new development could have opened the door for other such projects, threatening Harrisburg's historic character.

"If approval for this project occurred, the city would create the absolute precedent that would make it possible for any of the other mansions anywhere on Front Street to also be eliminated," Reed said.

However, Reed added that he liked the idea of more condos in Harrisburg and offered to assist Knackstedt in finding alternate sites that would not do away with mansions or other historic properties.

In July, another developer proposed a downtown high-rise that would feature at least 90 condominiums.

Knackstedt's plans called for building a five-story, $30 million luxury condominium building.

The 32 units would feature terraces, balconies and sweeping views of the Susquehanna River -- the first of its kind in the city.

Knackstedt said some of the condos could approach 4,000 square feet and sell for $1 million or more. None would be smaller than 2,220 square feet.

One resident, Eric Papenfuse, said he hoped the incident leads to more public involvement in city planning, with developers consulting with neighbors before moving ahead.

"Why was such a poor plan put forward in the first place?" he asked.

McCormick added that Historic Harrisburg stands ready to work with Knackstedt to ensure that the three mansions remain a vital part of Front Street.

Knackstedt had said the houses, especially their foundations, have been damaged by flooding, and two of the three need major repairs. She offered this as one reason behind her plans to replace the mansions with the condos.

EastSideHBG
Mar 3, 2005, 11:59 PM
And how about all the development news in the area in the last few days?!? DAMN!!!

East Shore hotel, office park planned

Susquehanna hotel, office park planned

Wednesday, March 02, 2005
BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

In what's being described as a win for Susquehanna Twp. and its taxpayers, an area developer is proposing four office buildings and an 80-room hotel on 23 acres off Kohn Road and along Interstate 81.

Lower Paxton Twp. developer Rick Szeles, managing partner of Szeles Real Estate Development Co., said he hopes to start erecting the first office building and the hotel by early next year.

He estimated the $20 million project will be completed in seven to 10 years.

"It has great visibility and access to Route 81," Szeles said. "The East Shore market has been a really strong market in the last couple of years, and we're interested in continuing to invest here."

According to a concept drawing, the office buildings would cover 176,000 square feet. Access to the park would be off Kohn Road, near Walker Mill Road.

"We want to phase it in a responsible way that is not putting a flood of office space in phase one," Szeles said.

All the buildings will have a common theme in materials and facade, he said. Szeles said he plans to take advantage of the land's features to make jogging and running paths, and he plans an exercise facility in one building that all business tenants could use.

The township, Susquehanna Twp. School District and Dauphin County could benefit before construction if the plans are approved.

While the 23-acre tract is zoned commercial, it is part of the state's clean-and-green program, meaning its taxable worth is reduced because it is being left undeveloped.

Taking the land out of clean and green is expected to bump its unimproved assessed value from $7,200 to about $1 million, according to the developer and officials.

Even without construction, tax revenue from the land would rise from $151 annually to around $25,500. The higher assessment would go back seven years, so all three taxing authorities would get a lump sum to be determined.

The proposal also calls for using what is known as "tax increment financing" to help pay for improvements along Kohn Road between Walker Mill Road and Progress Avenue. The improvements could cost up to $2 million. Widening and straightening a turn in the road are among expected improvements.

If the development is approved, the township would borrow the amount needed for the road improvements. But the loan would be repaid by a portion of the annual real estate taxes collected.

Under the TIF, the difference in realty tax collected based on the unimproved and the improved land values would go toward paying for road improvements. TIFs have been used in Swatara Twp. to assist with renovations at the Harrisburg Mall.

The township, school district and county would receive increased real estate tax revenue. But the school district, township and county wouldn't get the benefit of the full real estate tax on the property until the road improvement loan is repaid, which is expected to take about 12 years.

Without upgrading the road, the development couldn't go forward, Szeles and township officials said. The developer would not otherwise be responsible for upgrading portions of the road not directly associated with the property.

The township has endorsed the TIF in a nonbinding resolution, and the developer will seek similar nonbinding approvals from the school district and county. Formal plan approval will require binding TIF agreements with the three taxing authorities.

Jacquelyn Patton, township commission president, said this kind of commercial development is good for the tax base and doesn't bring with it the same demand on resources -- especially on schools -- as do residential developments.

The proposal also gives the township a way to improve Kohn Road, which needs the work, she said.

"I think this is a win-win for the township and for the school district," Patton said. "I certainly hope it goes through."

BUILDING A VISION

Thursday, March 03, 2005

BY DIANA FISHLOCK
Of The Patriot-News

Where other people see just a public stairway and an empty lot, Lisa Starr sees an elevated bridge of stained glass bathing the stairway, a gallery, artists' studio and apartment in soft reds and blues.

Starr, along with 49 other Penn State University architectural students and eight Harrisburg Area Community College students, created designs that could be built on an empty lot at 1212 Market St. in Allison Hill.

Their models were the first architectural project of the Harrisburg Urban Studio, where college architecture students can live and work, designing urban projects.

Yesterday, an opening ceremony took place for the studio's headquarters at the Harrisburg Transportation Center at Fourth and Chestnut streets.

Pennsylvania's architecture and landscape architecture colleges will send students to work with neighborhood leaders and residents to design and build playgrounds, parks, day care centers and other projects in Harrisburg's neighborhoods.

The studio is modeled after Auburn University's Rural Studio, which provides architecture students with practical experience while helping disadvantaged communities.

The Urban Studio will help students put theory into practical use, creating new construction and restoration work in the city, Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed said.

"Students and faculty will adopt individual sites and then brainstorm to choose the most creative way to restore its productive use. They will then carry out the physical application of what they have devised and designed," Reed said, adding that the students will combine learning with civic service.

He said he hopes within two years to have an architecture and design magnet school that will be a feeder school to the state's architectural colleges participating in the studio.

When Reed examined Starr's design after a news conference yesterday, he said, "That's non-breakable glass, I hope, or that's an invitation for breakage."

The project on Market Street involved strict requirements in a very limited space, said Luke Havrilla of Cambria, also a Penn State student. "In the past, we've designed things in a big open area, like a mountain cabin on a lake," he said.

The property at 1212 Market St. had buildings on either side, height restrictions, a hillside, a retaining wall and a public stairway students had to work around.

HACC student Kevin Finegan of New Cumberland used a frame system with flexible components clients could change to suit their needs. Finegan envisions the concept working in other cities.

Urban Studio students will design projects while working with residents and community leaders, said Guy P. Beneventano, co-coordinator of the Urban Studio Task Force.

EastSideHBG
Mar 4, 2005, 12:03 AM
I f'n knew this would happen LOL Some of the babies on the West Shore still just can't get over the whole east shore/west shore thing. :rolleyes:

Developer plans TecPort business park on West Shore

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

BY DAVID DeKOK
Of The Patriot-News

One good TecPort apparently deserves another.

Crossgates Inc., the real estate developer that opened the original TecPort on the former AMP Inc. campus in Swatara Twp., intends to open TecPort West on 53 acres in East Pennsboro Twp., near the intersection of Interstate 81 and Routes 11-15.

"It is vacant land," said Gregg A. Schwotzer, president and CEO of Crossgates. "PennDOT [Pennsylvania Department of Transportation] has a road-salt storage facility there. We're finishing the negotiations right now with the state to purchase the land."

Unlike the former AMP campus, which had several existing office buildings, Crossgates would start from scratch with TecPort West. Schwotzer is working to line up hotels and restaurants to locate around TecPort West, just as he did with the first TecPort.

Crossgates is partnering on TecPort West with ComputerAid, Gannett Fleming and Central Pennsylvania College. The college campus will be a few blocks from the new business park. ComputerAid was a partner on the original TecPort, Schwotzer said.

The 102-acre original technology park isn't full and has been accepting companies that aren't purely technology firms. Schwotzer said Crossgates is pre-marketing an office building at 40th and TecPort drives and hopes to begin construction soon. A third phase of TecPort, involving 33 acres, will begin soon.

Tecport West will be within five miles of the original park.

The decision to develop a new park stems from what prospective tenants on the West Shore have told him, Schwotzer said. Some of them simply don't want to relocate to the East Shore, either because the owner or his or her employees don't want to make the drive. It's not, he stresses, a slam against the city of Harrisburg.

"Some are concerned about leaving the West Shore area," Schwotzer said. "That East Shore-West Shore mentality is a reality."

Crossgates was unable to fill the original TecPort with purely technology companies, which Schwotzer attributes to the collapse of the tech boom shortly after the project started a few years ago. He expanded the definition of his desired companies from those involved directly in technology to companies that make extensive use of technology.

ComputerAid is the largest traditional technology company in TecPort. The Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania has its offices there, as does C&L Instruments. Among those that aren't classic tech companies but that use technology in their business are Capital Blue Cross, Trane Corp., Commerce Bank's operations center and Coventry Corp., the parent of Health America Pennsylvania.

TecPort offers high, dependable bandwidth and back-up power supplies, which are of value to far more than technology companies. Those features do make the real estate more expensive, commercial real estate agent Bill Gladstone said, and tech companies with relatively cheap real estate now will need to balance the costs and the benefits of a move to either of the TecPorts.

And some very cool news:

Harrisburg youths grab flag football's world title (http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/110975888715280.xml)

Spudmrg
Mar 4, 2005, 2:31 AM
Ummmmmm, let me understand this......1) people don't want to drive 5 miles?.....admittedly on congested roads, and 2) This Crossgates firm thinks there is enough of a demand to justify building a new complex from scratch?

I seem to recall that the West Shore commercial market is already dropping, and there is at least one large property the state just dumped on the market (Some sort of bankruptcy mess). And yet here there is a demand for a whole new 52-acre complex, 5 miles from the one that has'nt been finished yet? I understand your confusion EastSide.

EastSideHBG
Mar 4, 2005, 10:25 PM
Yep, there are some real babies on the West Shore. I'd hate to see how they would act in some of the sprawl-zilla towns....if they won't drive 5 miles, forget about 20-30 :laugh:

More HUGE news for the area!!! And to think, HBG went from this sleepy little town where next to nothing was going on to :nuts:

Hotel planners book Farm Show sites

Hotel planners book Farm Show Complex sites

Friday, March 04, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW AND DAVID DeKOK
Of The Patriot-News

The state Farm Show Complex seems to have become a magnet for plans for hotels.

Last month, Crossgates Inc. of Harrisburg announced plans to build a 150-room suite-style hotel on about 4.8 acres of Farm Show land used as a parking lot.

Now a 92-room Comfort Inn has been proposed for 1017-1033 Maclay St., the site of an office building housing Barbizon modeling school across from the southern end of the Farm Show grounds.

A third hotel has been proposed about a mile away, in Susquehanna Twp.

Insite Development of Harrisburg has proposed razing the office building on Maclay Street to make way for a three-level hotel. The firm submitted a sketch plan this week at a Harrisburg Planning Commission meeting.

Interest in the Farm Show by hotel companies seems to have been spurred by the $86 million expansion of the complex that was completed in 2003.

That increased the size of the complex from 16 to 24 acres, making it one of the largest convention and exhibition facilities in the country.

Since expanding, the Farm Show has been holding more than 125 events during 280 days each year, attracting more than 1 million visitors.

"I think you finally have the right type of facility with the right type of [event] schedule, and that's what marketers look at," said Stephen Quigley of H. Edward Black & Associates, which is designing the Comfort Inn on Maclay.

He added that the developers of both Farm Show-area hotels agreed the market can support both ventures.

Mayor Stephen R. Reed, who has long tried to attract hotels to that area, said the two projects will actually complement each other.

The hotel planned for the Farm Show grounds would offer more upscale accommodations, while the Comfort Inn would lure budget travelers, he said.

"The market has long been there for hotel rooms near the Farm Show Complex," Reed said, pointing to the proximity of Harrisburg Area Community College, PSECU, Wildwood Lake Conference Center and the state Department of Agriculture.

Some real estate experts said new hotels may just be the beginning for that area.

"Over the next 10 years, the whole face of that area will change dramatically," said commercial real estate agent Bill Gladstone.

He added that various factors, including the fate of the 250-acre Harrisburg State Hospital grounds, would determine whether the pace simmers or boils.

The state has not announced plans for the highly desirable state hospital land once the facility closes.

"All of a sudden, restaurants will start to show up," Gladstone said. "Then small commercial development. Then large commercial."

Tom Posavec, a commercial real estate agent for Landmark Commercial Realty, is optimistic regarding the Farm Show area.

He represents a warehouse on Maclay Street to the immediate west of the hotel site, and is weighing whether to allow only short-term leases in case another hotel deal comes along.

"We believe the viability of that area is tremendous," Posavec said.

However, there is no firm timetable for either of the hotel projects that have already been proposed.

Quigley said his developer has control of the Maclay Street site for the Comfort Inn, but must get necessary approvals from the city.

Meanwhile, the proposal by Crossgates to locate a Staybridge hotel on the Farm Show grounds involves a land sale that must be approved by the state Legislature.

Under the deal, Crossgates would buy the 4.8-acre tract from the state for about $605,000, or $126,000 an acre.

Rep. Ron Buxton, D-Dauphin County, said the law approving the sale could take until June to be enacted.

Staybridge is a national chain with about 100 locations that bills itself as the "upscale suites hotel," with every room featuring a full kitchen.

The hotel also would feature a conference area, including meeting and banquet space; a restaurant; and an indoor swimming pool.

It is planned for the northeast edge of the Farm Show property, between Cameron Street and Industrial Drive.

Both hotels are banking on business from patrons attending Farm Show events. When the Farm Show is dormant, the hotels hope to attract travelers from nearby Interstate 81 and Route 322.

The third hotel has been proposed about a mile away, off Kohn Road and along Interstate 81 in Susquehanna Twp.

Lower Paxton Twp. developer Rick Szeles, managing partner of Szeles Real Estate Development Co., said he hopes to start building the 80-room hotel, along with office buildings, early next year.

Rose Mape, director of the Hershey-Capital Region Visitors Bureau in Harrisburg, said the Harrisburg region is "about right" in terms of the number of hotel rooms available. That's unlike Gettysburg, which she said has a shortage.

Mape said the region could absorb a few more rooms, especially if plans to increase the number and variety of events in the Farm Show Complex are successful.

For example, she said, her agency is blocking off 1,400 hotel rooms in the region for a Fire Expo at the Farm Show Complex in May.

And don't plan on getting a hotel room the first weekend in June. She said hotels in the region will be packed as a Carlisle car show, a motorcycle show at the Giant Center in Derry Twp., and an archery tournament in Little Buffalo State Park in Perry County pull in visitors.

EastSideHBG
Mar 4, 2005, 10:28 PM
Oh how I LOVE the Northern/Southern Gateway projects. Expanding and connecting the street grid (mentioned below; this is the Southern Gateway Project) is such a fantastic idea!!! :carrot:

Federal highway-funds bill includes midstate projects

U.S. House to consider road projects funding bill

Friday, March 04, 2005
BY BRETT LIEBERMAN
Of Our Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - The U.S. House is next up to consider the stalled $284 billion highway and transit bill that includes at least $90 million in federal spending earmarked for central Pennsylvania.

The bill includes money for long-sought improvements for Harrisburg's Third Street extension as well as lighting for the State Street and Mulberry Street bridges and funding authorization for Corridor One commuter rail.

The House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee approved the bill Wednesday, and the bill is expected to be voted on by the full House next week. The bill includes billions of dollars for 3,315 projects nationally and hundreds of millions for Pennsylvania work.

Among them is $45 million secured by U.S. Rep. Todd Platts, R-York County, for projects such as $3.4 million to improve the interchange of Interstate 81 and Route 465, as well as $450,000 to improve traffic signals in Mechanicsburg.

He also received $15.5 million to improve interchanges along Interstate 83 at exits 4, 18, and 19 in York County.

U.S. Rep. Tim Holden, D-Schuylkill County, also received $45 million for 17th Congressional District projects, including some of Harrisburg's top priorities.

The $4.8 million he obtained to connect Third Street to Paxton Street will help drivers avoid traffic as they leave downtown. It will also open additional space for development.

"As any commuter who travels that route regularly knows, Second Street can back up all the way to the 83 bridge in the mornings," said Randy King, spokesman for Mayor Stephen R. Reed.

Other projects include $1.3 million to remove an abandoned rail bridge that restricts heavy truck traffic and reconfigure the intersection of Cameron and Paxton streets. This also ties into plans to widen Interstate 83 in Harrisburg and for new entrance and exit ramps directly onto Cameron Street.

Lower Paxton Twp. also stands to gain from $2.8 million Holden secured to improve Linglestown Square intersection.

The legislation includes $1 million for the Schaefferstown bypass to alleviate traffic on Route 501.

Though a favorite of lawmakers of both parties because of the projects they are able to fund in their districts, the transportation bill still faces challenges and is not all good news for Pennsylvania.

A change in the formula for how federal money is allocated to states would mean recipient states -- those like Pennsylvania that receive more than they pay into a federal trust fund -- stand to get a smaller share of the pot.

Currently, states are guaranteed at least 90.5 cents of every $1 drivers pay in federal gas taxes. That would rise to 92 cents in the current bill.

Lawmakers from many recipient states like Pennsylvania are having a tough time fighting to keep the state's funding level. That's because the state fared so well when the old formula was set in 1998, when former U.S. Rep. Bud Shuster, R-Everett, chaired the House committee.

Pennsylvania receives $1.17 for every dollar in gas taxes that drivers pay at the pump, but that's likely to drop. The state would fare even worse under a Senate plan floated last year.

"We're not going to get alarmed until we get to the conference," said Holden, one of six Pennsylvanians on the transportation committee.

Pennsylvania is one of 22 states that will get less money than it did under the old bill, but the state will still fare better than many others.

Representatives from donor states, including House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, have pressed for a higher rate of return that reflects the gas taxes his constituents paid.

Spudmrg
Mar 4, 2005, 11:37 PM
Here's my $0.02 on those items.......

1) The Hotels.......I've been told that the entire area around the farm show/HACC complex is geologically unstable (read: swampland), and that is an issue that could affect at least the two projects that are in that area. Judging from the amount of flooding the Farm Show Complex gets, that story sounds possible. And that's now two major projects that this "Crossgates" bunch is working on.....I've never heard of them until this week.

2) The federal transportation bill......This bill has been debated for a year and a half past when it was supposed to be finished. Ironicly, PA is happy that the bill is stalled, because we got one of the best deals from the old transportation bill (Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) ), and there is no way we're getting that good of a deal now. The US Senate wants a bigger bill, so we'll see what the final deal is. There are much better political pundits on this issue than I, so go ask them what will be in the final bill.

As for the local projects.....according to the list at Rep. Holden's site.....He got all of the ones he was promising the region......

http://www.holden.house.gov/display2.cfm?id=9344&type=News

I know the town(?) of Schuylkill Haven might not be thrilled with this....as the current Rt. 61 bypass plan is to turn the current 2-lane road (which is the town's main street) and turn it into a 4-lane road......at the same location.....people are not happy. I'm surprised the paper missed the 4 million for the State Street and Mulberry Street bridge lighting projects. The whole list is at that web link.

3) Vartan Group- According to the Central Penn Business Daily (today), the Vartan Group is selling 9 properties (the exact locations were not given, only the general area), 3 of which are DT and 1 near the Farm Show Complex (interesting....given the sudden interest there). The Vartan Group says that they are focusing on the 6th/7th street Corridors (The Northern Gateway as I believe it's called by some).

EastSideHBG
Mar 5, 2005, 3:22 AM
1) The Hotels.......I've been told that the entire area around the farm show/HACC complex is geologically unstable (read: swampland), and that is an issue that could affect at least the two projects that are in that area. Judging from the amount of flooding the Farm Show Complex gets, that story sounds possible. And that's now two major projects that this "Crossgates" bunch is working on.....I've never heard of them until this week.
I work right across from the Farm Show and yes, the area is indeed swampland (actually, almost the entire HBG area is to be exact). My building is actually sitting on the dumping grounds for Agnus in '72 (I cringe everytime I think of the type of rubbish that I am literally sitting on day in and day out *shudder*). Our building's lot actually settled and our parking lot needed to be torn up and redone. And yes, the area is indeed in a flood zone.

That being said, it's still prime real estate no matter how you slice it. Also, with the right engineering, you can help minimize the settling risks when building on this marshy land. Places like Chicago, DC, some cities in Florida, etc. would not exist if it wasn't for these ideas. I really don't see any projects being delayed and/or scrapped because of this factor, especially since there are going to be huge upgrades to the Paxton Creek in the very near future.

I'm surprised the paper missed the 4 million for the State Street and Mulberry Street bridge lighting projects. The whole list is at that web link.
:???: It was the first part I put in bold in the article I posted above.

3) Vartan Group- According to the Central Penn Business Daily (today), the Vartan Group is selling 9 properties (the exact locations were not given, only the general area), 3 of which are DT and 1 near the Farm Show Complex (interesting....given the sudden interest there). The Vartan Group says that they are focusing on the 6th/7th street Corridors (The Northern Gateway as I believe it's called by some).
Hmm, very interesting. Thanks a lot for the info, Spudmrg. I'm curious as to the exact location of these properties now. I will do some checking, and if I find out anything, I will be sure to post it...

wrightchr
Mar 5, 2005, 9:24 AM
i'm glad Harrisburg is getting finally getting money for these projects. i can't wait to see things in motion when i get back home. any word on the Residence building DT? when are they going to break ground? thanks for the post Dave.

EastSideHBG
Mar 5, 2005, 1:37 PM
Hospital operator plans to build stand-alone unit

Saturday, March 05, 2005
BY DAVID WENNER
Of The Patriot-News

SCCI Hospitals, which operates a specialty hospital at Polyclinic Hospital in Harrisburg, plans to build a free-standing hospital in Lower Paxton Twp.

It expects to move into the new, 50-bed hospital by the fall of 2007 after closing the 36-bed unit that it leases on the fourth floor of Polyclinic.

SCCI, a national chain, operates long-term, acute-care hospitals that treat patients who are ready for discharge from a regular hospital but still need special care for complex medical conditions.

The Harrisburg facility gets most of its patients from Harrisburg Hospital and Community General Osteopathic Hospital, both owned by PinnacleHealth System, which also owns Polyclinic.

The new one-story hospital will be on 2.86 acres that SCCI plans to buy from Pinnacle. It will be in Sir Thomas Court, a complex of medical and professional offices about a half-mile from Community General.

The interim CEO of SCCI Harrisburg, Tammy Barben, said SCCI will build the free-standing facility because of a change in Medicare regulations intended to prevent long-term, acute-care hospitals from getting more than 25 percent of their patients from a host hospital.

The change applies to "hospitals within a hospital," such as those operated by SCCI. It resulted from concerns that the specialty hospitals wind up caring for, and billing Medicare for, patients who don't need that level of care.

Beginning in late 2007, specialty hospitals that receive more than 25 percent of patients from a host hospital will no longer receive full payment from Medicare. The limit doesn't apply to free-standing specialty hospitals, such as the one SCCI plans to build.

SCCI receives about 70 percent of its patients from Pinnacle. "That's why we can't even consider staying," Barben said.

She estimated that the new facility will cost $10 million to $15 million. Sale of the 2.86-acre site isn't final, and Barben said she didn't know the price of the land.

Chris Markley, senior vice president of community and government relations for Pinnacle, said the site may be the last remaining piece of land bought by Community General many years ago, before it became part of Pinnacle.

In addition to leasing space at Polyclinic, SCCI also contracts with Pinnacle for services such as laundry and housekeeping. Markley said he doesn't expect the loss of SCCI and its contracts to have a big financial impact on Pinnacle.

Pinnacle hasn't decided what it will do with the space to be vacated by SCCI, he added.

EastSideHBG
Mar 5, 2005, 1:42 PM
i'm glad Harrisburg is getting finally getting money for these projects. i can't wait to see things in motion when i get back home. any word on the Residence building DT? when are they going to break ground? thanks for the post Dave.
Unfortunately, Chris, that project has been canceled (this news came out late January):

Phoenix Development plans for a residential/commercial high-rise building on the site of a parking lot at Fourth and Market streets have been canceled, according to Tony Pascotti, a Phoenix official. He said a replacement project is planned but wouldn't discuss details pending release of information by Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed.

I am still waiting to hear about the replacement project and there has been no press release as of yet. It's prime real estate in a great location so I doubt it will sit empty for long...

Spudmrg
Mar 5, 2005, 10:56 PM
Oops, I mis-read :(

EastSide, I hav'nt heard anything about the Paxton Creek improvement, do you have any more information you could give us?

There was a bit about CorridorOne a while back, a local county Commisioner made a few references to unelected organizations pushing for programs, it looks like that fight will still keep going for awhile to come. I'm begining to doubt that the project will stay on (the current) schedule.

wrightchr
Mar 6, 2005, 9:42 AM
Unfortunately, Chris, that project has been canceled (this news came out late January):

I am still waiting to hear about the replacement project and there has been no press release as of yet. It's prime real estate in a great location so I doubt it will sit empty for long...

damn, that sucks. i was really syched about this project and the impact it would have had on the skyline. the new tallest!!! well i hope they come up with something just as cool. the new judicial center and a proposed new federal building would be added improvements. with the expansion of the southern gateway, the CBD still has a lot of potential to grow. harrisburg needs a landmark commercial building that stands out.

EastSideHBG
Mar 6, 2005, 4:25 PM
Oops, I mis-read :(
No prob, I do it all the time LOL

EastSide, I hav'nt heard anything about the Paxton Creek improvement, do you have any more information you could give us?
Oh yeah, there is a lot of info out there and some of it I posted in this forum in fact. But it was a while ago and those threads were purged. BUT, I do think there are a few news blips on the subject floating around towards the beginning of this HBG thread. When I get a chance I will dig around and see what I can find for ya...

There was a bit about CorridorOne a while back, a local county Commisioner made a few references to unelected organizations pushing for programs, it looks like that fight will still keep going for awhile to come. I'm begining to doubt that the project will stay on (the current) schedule.
I think there are more counties for it then against it, and I don't see Cumberland Co. holding things up for much longer. I know our politicians will not let one group of jackasses in one county risk us losing the $ for the project.

damn, that sucks. i was really syched about this project and the impact it would have had on the skyline. the new tallest!!! well i hope they come up with something just as cool. the new judicial center and a proposed new federal building would be added improvements. with the expansion of the southern gateway, the CBD still has a lot of potential to grow. harrisburg needs a landmark commercial building that stands out.
I agree. The demand is certainly there too (see the article I will post below). I also feel in my gut that if a new tallest comes in, it will spur other high-rise development. Although I don't think we need a 100+ story building or anything (I wouldn't be against the idea mind you, but I do think it would look gawdy if it was the only one) I see absolutely nothing wrong with a new interest in 50 - let's say 70+ story buildings. Why not? :)

EastSideHBG
Mar 6, 2005, 4:29 PM

"I never thought I'd see people jumping that river. I've seen it strongly in the last two years. [It used to be] I never got a call from a Mechanicsburg person saying they were coming to the city." Ann Miller, Grayco Apartments manager

Sunday, March 06, 2005
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Home buyers aren't the only ones showing new interest in the city. Harrisburg apartment complexes report rebounding occupancy rates.

Record low mortgage rates the last several years drove many renters into homeownership, forcing many apartment complexes to offer a free month of rent and other incentives to attract occupants. Interest rates remain at historically low levels, and some of the incentives to rent remain.

But city landlords are seeing a relatively new phenomenon -- an uptick of young suburbanites and people from other areas who want to live near the downtown where they work and party.

Occupancy rates began to drop in 2002 and 2003, "a direct result of the mortgage interest rates," said Pat Egenrieder, executive director of the Apartment Association of Central Pennsylvania. "We started seeing a comeback last year."

"People can have a mortgage for what they pay in rent," said John McDermott, senior general manager of Pennsylvania Place at 301 Chestnut St. in Harrisburg. "We're slowly seeing a small increase in traffic."

Pennsylvania Place peaked at 96 percent occupancy in mid-2003, he said. Then rentals began to decline. In February 2004, a few hundred residents were forced to leave their apartments for a few days because of an electrical fire and explosion on the fourth floor of the 25-floor high-rise.

"We were in a decline. ... That definitely didn't help," McDermott noted.

Pennsylvania Place, which has an outdoor pool, did $2 million in renovations, including redoing the fitness and business centers and opening a "state-of-the-art" laundry facility, McDermott said.

The occupancy rate is now "climbing toward 90 percent," he said.

Residents include physicians and other employees from nearby Harrisburg Hospital, state legislators, corporate tenants and people who work downtown, McDermott noted.

"We have a good mixture of everyone here," from young professionals to senior citizens, he said.

At Grayco Apartments at 115 North St., across from the YMCA, "we did lose a few people to home purchases," manager Ann Miller said.

But the Grayco's good location and reasonable rents have insulated it from steep declines, Miller said. The apartment house's occupancy rate is a "steady 98 percent," although it was in the low 80s when JRGray LP bought it as a "distressed building" five years ago, she said.

Since then, the owners have installed a new roof, windows and elevator, Miller said.

The rental market consists of college graduates working their first full-time jobs, baby boomers with empty nests and no desire to keep up a big yard and house, and single people and childless couples who don't want the responsibility of a home, Egenrieder said.

Some families with lower incomes or poor credit also are continuing to rent because they don't have a choice, she said.

Miller has noticed younger people from the suburbs wanting to rent in the city.

"I never thought I'd see people jumping that river," Miller said. "I've seen it strongly in the last two years. [It used to be] I never got a call from a Mechanicsburg person saying they were coming to the city."

They are drawn to the night life, and they feel safe in the city, she said.

There's also the advantage of not having to worry about drinking and driving if you live near restaurants, bars and clubs, Miller said.

Other high-rise apartment complexes in the city report similar healthy occupancy rates.

Town House Suites Hotel & Apartments at 660 Boas St. has an occupancy rate of 92 percent, leasing consultant Randi Tarasi said.

"That's a good occupancy rate," she said. "We're not struggling at all."

Apartment residents include all ages, many of whom work for nearby state agencies, Tarasi said.

Korman Communities at 2311 N. Front St., formerly River Plaza and River House, has a "pretty stable" apartment occupancy rate of 95 percent, according to corporate sales director Cindi Wycheck.

It just dropped to 89 percent this month, but Wycheck said she is confident that "probably by April we should be back up again."

In 2003 it hit a low of 83 percent, she said.

Now her clientele "seems like it's getting younger," in their 20s and early 30s, Wycheck observed.

Executive House Apartments at 101 S. 2nd St. has an occupancy rate of 98 percent, manager Ann Marie Ramsey said.

Competitive rents that include utilities for studio and one-bedroom apartments have helped to keep Executive House's occupancy rate at or near 100 percent for years, she said.

Many of her residents are young people just out of school who work downtown and want to live there, too, Ramsey said.

"I'm asking them to pay $700 or $800 a year to park their car, and they're still doing it," she said. "You'll never pay for parking in the suburbs. It's the price to live in the city."

This is all related to my latest dilemma in fact: I am planning on moving soon, but to where exactly (I have looked at places all over the metro; the list is far too big to put here lol)? And will I rent or buy this time around? :hmmm:

Spudmrg
Mar 7, 2005, 3:31 AM
Hmmmmm, anyone like to guess where and when the next apartment tower will be built? I figure that 4/Market is just too good of a property to waste as a parking lot for much longer, maybe they canceled it to build a taller one (doubtful). I've always been surprised that no one has picked up the area between the Harrisburg Transportation Center (train station) and Cameron Street. It could be a great location if the stream does'nt keep flooding. I can see the CBD from the rebuilt paxton/I-83 interchange to the US 11/15 bridge, front street to Cameron, and expanded along 6th and 7th. Now.....if only we could land a new regional HQ or something....

EastSideHBG
Mar 7, 2005, 11:44 PM
/\
I ponder this all the time, Spudmrg. My guess is near Townhouse Suites (6th & Boas; near Forrester St. and some of the gov't bldgs.) and further up 6th/7th ("Northern Gateway"). I can see parts of Front St. too being good for residential. I agree with you re: 4th & Market and I see that being commercial and not residential. Why not, and I have no problem with this really.

What about the empty lot on 2nd St. in front of the newer 2nd St. garage? The plans for the large, 3-story restaurant was canceled and it is said that will be an office building now. IMO it's too deep in the craziness on 2nd St. to be residential. We do need more residential buildings DT IMO, though. And I think they should be lofts and/or condos, something that people can own if they so desire.

EastSideHBG
Mar 7, 2005, 11:47 PM
We just keep sprawling away. The growth around here is :nuts: Welcome to the "Sunbelt of PA"!!!

Growth may ease sewer problems

New houses to make townshipwide service possible, Swatara officials say

Monday, March 07, 2005
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

An imminent population explosion in Swatara Twp. may solve a decades-old concern, township officials say.

Commissioners President Gregory Ricci said five housing developments might help the township deal with the lack of public sewerage in a large part of Chambers Hill.

The developments will have public sewerage, but developers will be responsible for arranging service to their properties, Ricci said.

"It would cost the township $10 million to $12 million to build the sewage system we need to serve all the new houses," he said.

"When the builders are providing sewer lines to their own properties, we want to put more lines in and allow existing homes to hook up to them," Swatara Twp. administrator Paul Cornell said.

The developments would add more than 370 houses and town houses, said Richard Bazdar, township code enforcement director.

The developments include:
Ivy Ridge -- 47 single-family houses and 106 town houses off Orchard Drive on 82 acres owned by Triple Crown Corp. of Lower Paxton Twp.
Hoffman Heights -- 82 single-family houses off Hoffman Drive in Chambers Hill on 37 acres being developed by Miller-Warner Construction Co. of Lancaster.
Chambers Pointe -- starting with 19 single-family houses to be built by developer Francis McNaughton on 118 acres off Gaynor Lane on the east side of Chambers Hill.
Highland Ridge -- 26 houses to be built by McNaughton off 82nd Street in Chambers Hill.
Spring Creek Hollow/Kendale Oaks II -- 94 houses to be built on 69 acres off 71st Street in Rutherford. Bazdar said the land is owned and being developed by A. Richard Szeles, Deborah B. Szeles, Alexander R. Szeles, Delerose E. Szeles, Brian J. Szeles, Margaret Szeles, Shain P. DeVan and Diane J. DeVan.
Bazdar said plans also are in the works for a 56-pad mobile home park off Highspire Road near the Lower Swatara Twp. border. He said Michael Berner of Hershey owns the 19-acre site.

Cornell said Swatara Twp. has 8,600 properties, with 7,750 served by public sewerage.

"The other 850 properties, mostly in Chambers Hill, have on-lot septic systems," Cornell said.

Swatara Twp. Commissioner Larry Bekelja said township officials were "shortsighted" in not providing public sewerage to the whole township when the township sewage treatment plant was built in the 1970s along Route 322.

Cornell said the township looked into putting public sewerage in Chambers Hill for years, but hasn't because it's not financially feasible.

"DEP officials told us that not every property needs public sewers. According to DEP, a septic system fails if it can't handle any more or if it works too well by not treating the sewage, just letting it go to the water table," he said.

While residential growth often leads to more municipal services and higher taxes, Cornell said the township is in a commercial growth phase and consequently is receiving a lot of money from commercial properties.

"Businesses generally have higher assessments than homeowners," he said. "Our businesses bring in taxes and make it easier on the homeowners."

EastSideHBG
Mar 8, 2005, 1:11 AM

City of Harrisburg

FOR IMMEDIATE USE

March 2 2005

STATEMENT OF THE CITY REGARDING THE PROPOSED CONDOMINIUM PROJECT AT 2901 NORTH FRONT STREET

“Since its receipt, the Planned Residential Development for 2901 North Front Street has been given a thorough review, as is the case for any submissions received by the City.

“The City very strongly supports the creation of condominiums and other housing that accommodates the demand for first-class housing – just as the City also strongly supports the creation of affordable housing for all income groups.

“In this instance, the proposed project for 2901 North Front Street creates two issues which are insurmountable:

(1) The Pennsylvania Municipal Planning Code makes it clear that a PRD—a Planned Residential Development – cannot be done in a residential zone such as what presently exists at and around 2901 North Front Street; as such, state law would prohibit the approval of the project at the proposed location;

(2) further, it is also clear that if approval for this project occurred, the City would create the absolute precedent that would make it possible for any of the other mansions anywhere on Front Street to also be eliminated in favor of newly constructed office buildings or other new structures to replace existing mansions; this is a precedent that the City could not legally ignore and it is a precedent that inevitably would be used by other property owners and developers to seek the demolition of existing Front Street structures; for the obvious reason, the City cannot allow such a precedent to occur.

“It is therefore the recommendation of the City that the project not proceed at 2901 North Front Street. The City does believe that the project is viable at alternate locations that do not involve the demolition of Front Street mansions or properties of an historic nature and the City is fully willing and able to assist the developer in finding alternate sites to allow such to occur within the parameters se by the state Planning Code and the city’s Zoning Code provisions.”

“The project proposed is a splendid one but it must be sited in a way as to not raise the obstacles described.”

EastSideHBG
Mar 8, 2005, 1:15 AM
DISCLAIMER: I am NOT in any way complaining about the state of the City. I would much much MUCH rather see things the way they are today vs. years ago.

/\
That being said, does anyone else get the feeling that the city is becoming just a wee bit too yuppiefied these days LOL? ;)

City of Harrisburg

FOR IMMEDIATE USE

March 4 2005

ELECTRIC TAN DOWNTOWN OPENS AT 608 N. 2nd STREET

Mayor Stephen R. Reed today conducted grand opening services for the newly opened Electric Tan – Downtown at 608 N. 2nd Street next to the FireHouse Restaurant. The new salon offers an array of state-of-the-art tanning beds and personal tanning consulting services and is Harrisburg’s first professional full-service tanning salon.

Reed said the new salon is owned and operated by noted midstate entrepreneurs Don Kalosky and Peggy Klein, who together have more than two decades of experience in the professional tanning industry. Klein and Kalosky also own and operate the original Electric Tan salon located in Lower Paxton Township, as well as the nutrition and personal fitness firm Nutrition Inc. The new salon occupies nearly 1200 sq. ft. of beautifully-restored space that evokes a Caribbean- beach ambience.

The Mayor said Electric Tan Downtown offers the latest in professional tanning technology, including the state-of-the-art UWE S-Class bed, which provides aromatherapy and personal hydration spray mist. Also available are two stand-up Montego Bay units, and ‘tropical beds’. All of the units are controlled by a master computer network that strictly limits the amount of time a person can spend in any unit, thus ensuring individual safety and tanning levels.

Reed said personalized service is a key element of Electric Tan Downtown’s offerings. Each of the firm’s three employees are certified in professional tanning and help to determine the amount of time a person should tan based on their complexion.

“For many citizens, a good tan is an essential element of their physical well- being and appearance, as well as an effective treatment for Seasonal Affective Disorder,” said the Mayor. “Electric Tan Downtown now offers this opportunity right in the heart of downtown, making it easily accessible for tens of thousands of downtown workers.”

Electric Tan Downtown is open Mondays through Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Fridays from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. They can be reached at (717) 232.4990, via fax at 232.0833, or visit their website at www.electrictan.com.

EastSideHBG
Mar 8, 2005, 1:20 AM
Alright, I know we have quite a few new forumers from the area around here and we also have those from out of the area lurking, so I figured I would go ahead and post this really cool 3-D map of the City. Those that aren't too familiar with the city can use it to get a better idea about some of the areas in DT we are talking about. Enjoy!!!

http://www.harrisburghello.com/map.asp

Taken from this site (check it out, some useful info there):

http://www.harrisburghello.com/

*This is not the City's official site (it's the DID's) and it is more of an entertainment supplement to it.

Ex-Ithacan
Mar 8, 2005, 11:53 AM
Cool map Dave, I just wish they had all the downtown buildings on it - density yeah.

edncc1701d
Mar 8, 2005, 4:33 PM
Is this making much news in Hbg?

Harrisburg City Councilman Otto Banks, a previously registered Democrat, today announced he has changed his registration and will seek re-election as a Republican.

"As an African-American, I believe that the Republican Party has something to offer our community," said Banks. "They have made a commitment to fill the racial, economic, and political divide confronting Urban America. Give the Republican Party a chance they will give us a choice. A choice between results and rhetoric, opportunity and dependence, freedom and fear."

http://www.ottobanks.com

EastSideHBG
Mar 8, 2005, 7:41 PM
Thanks Tom!!

edncc1701d, not really. It was a blip in the papers and that was about it. People don't really seem to care about politics around here much anymore. Banks switching parties, Jason Smith switching parties... I think HBG (hell, PA; hell, the nation) is pretty burnt out on the subject. Case in point LOL

Mayor seeks historic re-election

REED'S SEVENTH

Tuesday, March 08, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

The unfinished work keeps pulling him back in.

Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed said he never had a grand career plan guiding his path when he first took office nearly 24 years ago.

And Reed said he certainly had no idea he'd be running for a seventh consecutive term -- an unprecedented Harrisburg milestone for which he officially announced his candidacy at a ceremony yesterday at City Hall.

"Oh, my God, no," scoffed Reed, 55, as he reflected on his years as mayor in an interview after his campaign announcement.

"When I first ran, I was 31 years old," he said. "I didn't have a long-term, grandiose plan. One term has led to the next just to get things done."

Reed said he invests himself "emotionally, spiritually and physically" in his job.

Long ago, he gave up any notion of political advancement, saying he considers himself more of a public servant than a politician.

"This is not a stepping-stone position," Reed said. "It takes total immersion in the job."

But to remain as mayor, Reed will have to beat fellow Democrats Ernie Napoli and Jason Smith, each of whom would like to wrest away the party nomination in the May 17 primary.

Reed said he's taking the challenges seriously and promised a vigorous campaign that would answer what he called distortions of his record, particularly by Smith, owner of the downtown design and advertising firm Fathom.

"He's a spin master," Reed said of Smith, who is best known for his opposition to the mayor's plans for an Old West museum. "We will make an effort to set the record straight."

Reed even borrowed Smith's campaign theme: "It's time."

"It is time," Reed declared. "It's time to stand up to those who would tear Harrisburg down. It is time to speak out about those who would destroy and reverse this city's progress. It is time to reaffirm that we are an inclusive community."

Most of Reed's speech was devoted to reviewing the highlights of his 23-year record as mayor.

He ticked off a long, detailed list of accomplishments, which boiled down to three main campaign themes:

--Reed said he has expanded the city's economy by spurring investment, business and housing-renewal projects.

--He said he has made Harrisburg safer by strengthening the police and fire departments.

--He said he has improved education by overhauling the public schools, which he has controlled since December 2000.

The mayor said he's running again to continue moving Harrisburg forward on those fronts.

"Our endeavors have been arduous and unrelenting," he said. "We do not settle for average. The status quo is never enough. I ask that we join in a common cause to continue Harrisburg's progress."

Reed was flanked by state Rep. Ron Buxton and U.S. Rep. Tim Holden, both Democrats, along with dozens of movers and shakers from business, politics, churches and community groups.

"I know what Harrisburg was like," Holden said. "And I know what Harrisburg is like right now. It's all because of Harrisburg Mayor Steve Reed. He has the greatest vision I've ever seen in an executive."

Notably absent from Reed's side were incumbent City Council members running for re-election. Of the four whose seats are up, only Otto Banks joined Reed on stage -- and Banks is running as a Republican.

Reed said he plans to endorse a slate of Democratic council candidates but said the announcement would come later.

As many as 20 or more Democrats could enter the race for council.

As for his own future, Reed said he couldn't say how many more terms he hopes to serve as mayor.

He said that will depend on voters.

"A politician should never take the voters for granted," he said.

And while he has all but ruled out a political career beyond being mayor, Reed said there's no plan guiding how long he'll stay in the job.

In the end, he said, it's usually the unfinished business that drives him from one term to the next. Simply put, Reed said, there's still a lot more work to do.

"Today, we continue this mission, this quest, this crusade," he said.

EastSideHBG
Mar 8, 2005, 7:42 PM
2 tenants to leave Harrisburg Mall

Tuesday, March 08, 2005
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg Mall is losing two longtime tenants and gaining a new retailer.

The CVS drugstore in the mall will close by the end of May, when its 20-year lease expires, according to the mall operator.

"They're basically just closing. They just had no interest in renewing," said Scott Jensen, executive vice president of leasing for Feldman Mall Properties Inc.

"It was just a business decision based on the performance of the store," CVS spokesman Mike DeAngelis said yesterday.

No closing date has been announced, he said.

Pharmacy records at the store will be transferred to the CVS drugstore at 3865 Derry St., DeAngelis said.

CVS, with more than 5,000 stores in 36 states, prefers free-standing buildings for its new stores, but has no plans to abandon its existing stores in malls and shopping centers, DeAngelis said.

The M&T Bank branch, which has been in the mall for about 20 years, also will be closing. Its last day of operation will be March 26, bank spokesman Chet Bridger confirmed yesterday.

Three of the branch's seven employees will be transferred to a nearby branch at 2775 Paxton St., where customer accounts from the mall office also will be moved, Bridger said. The other four employees will go to other branches, he said.

Bridger cited the increasing use of ATMs, direct deposit and check cards as a reason for the closing. He said with 35 branches in Dauphin and Cumberland counties, including one within about a half-mile of the mall, the bank no longer thought it necessary to maintain that branch.

Other changes also are on tap at the mall.

A PacSun, or Pacific Sunwear, store that sells casual clothing for teens and young adults will open in the mall on March 25 in what had been part of the Gap store space, Jensen said.

Also, New York & Company and Lane Bryant, two women's clothing stores, have both renewed 10-year leases and decided to renovate, Jensen said.

The opening last year of a Bass Pro Shops and a Boscov's store breathed new life into Harrisburg Mall, which had lost two of its three anchor stores.

The mall underwent a $40 million renovation in anticipation of the Bass Pro Shops opening.

The occupancy rate at the Swatara Twp. mall hovers around 80 percent, Jensen said.

EastSideHBG
Mar 8, 2005, 7:44 PM
VERY interesting news...

Properties to be sold by Vartan operation

Tuesday, March 08, 2005
BY DAVID DeKOK
Of The Patriot-News

In a move considered a bit of housecleaning, the late John Vartan's Vartan Group is selling 11 scattered properties in Harrisburg and its suburbs.

Each property is being sold separately for the Vartan Group by NAI/Commercial Industrial Realty Co. of Wormleysburg. The asking prices add up to $9.8 million.

Robert J. DeSousa, Vartan Group CEO and general counsel, said the properties aren't being sold to settle the estate, but rather to concentrate on the group's core businesses.

"Now is the time," DeSousa said. "The real estate market is doing wonderfully. There are rumors that we're putting everything on the block, but our core business is construction and maintenance of buildings and real estate development. Vartan National Bank is a growth platform."

All of the properties are outside of the core area Vartan Group is interested in developing, namely the Sixth Street and Seventh Street corridors in Harrisburg. The city plans to widen the streets to make them better corridors into and out of Harrisburg. Once that work is completed a few years from now, Second Street is scheduled to become a two-way street.

"John had been purchasing property in and around Harrisburg for the past 25 years," DeSousa said. "These were purchased because he thought they were a particularly good deal when he bought them. He bought them to hold."

John Vartan had "an aversion" to listing properties with real estate agents, DeSousa said, preferring to sell them through his own organization. He said there has been "tremendous interest" in the properties since they were listed with a real estate agent for sale.

"Some people were intimidated by dealing with John," he said. "They were afraid he'd outsmart them."

The late developer was a colorful character who made grandiose promises about buildings he planned to construct. Those he did build included Forum Place in downtown Harrisburg and an office building at Third and Walnut streets. Projects he never built included, most famously, Vartan Village, a planned community in uptown Harrisburg.

Among the properties for sale are a 0.26-acre vacant lot at Front and Verbeke streets. It's one of the last pieces of property left facing the Susquehanna River on the Harrisburg side.**

Justin Shoemaker, who is handling the sales for NAI/CIR, said the Front Street property would be a good site for a residential high-rise building. "You could do upwards of 60 units there," he said.

An 8.21-acre lot at 1001 Elmerton Ave. is between Cameron Street and Crooked Hill Road and is near the regional headquarters of the state Department of Environmental Protection.

Lots at 1301 and 1319 State Street are in a gritty urban area near Harrisburg Cemetery. Properties at 300 Verbeke and 316 Verbeke are vacant lots near the Broad Street Market in Harrisburg's Midtown Market District.

Vartan Group also is selling some of the late developer's "hobby" businesses. It recently agreed to sell 24 acres around Vartan Supply on Linglestown Road for $550,000 an acre. Vartan was a fan of woodworking and operated a mill that created and sold specialty wood products.

Dennis N. Hopkins, vice president of advertising and sales development for Giant Food Stores LLC in Carlisle, said the supermarket chain had looked at the Vartan Supply property but decided to remain at its current site off Linglestown Road less than a mile away.

DeSousa said a lease deal is in the works for the former Parev restaurant at 215 Pine St. in downtown Harrisburg. He said the eatery will have a new name and will be a "first-class restaurant," but he disclosed no other details.

*Funny, I just mentioned this parcel a few weeks ago. Here is my post from then:

*And the only open parcel of land I can think of along Front St. (in city limits) is the small vacant lot near Verbeke St. There is no way you would get a decent sized condo building on that; it's pretty small.

Speaking of, that parcel of land has been open for a long, long time. I remember that lot being vacant when I was a kid. I wonder why, it's a great location.

wrightchr
Mar 9, 2005, 9:22 AM
Among the properties for sale are a 0.26-acre vacant lot at Front and Verbeke streets. It's one of the last pieces of property left facing the Susquehanna River on the Harrisburg side.**

Justin Shoemaker, who is handling the sales for NAI/CIR, said the Front Street property would be a good site for a residential high-rise building. "You could do upwards of 60 units there," he said.

i've always thought this location was perfect for a mid/high rise residential building. it dosn't look that large of a parcel, but it's definately possible to build a residential apt building with parking on the lower levels. it's been vacant forever. i'm glad something might actually come of it now.

cnj24
Mar 9, 2005, 12:33 PM
I lived in Harrisburg for 4 years in the late '80's. I've never seen such snobs as people from the "West Shore". They really believe that the "WS" is this great, fashionable suburb. It's Harrisburg for God's sake, not LA, NY or Miami. Get a grip ! Get a LIFE !!!
Harrisburg is really a hip little city. Mayor Reed is GREAT ! He really should run for Gov. or eventually Pres.

wrightchr
Mar 9, 2005, 1:33 PM
^ lol...where did this guy come from.

EastSideHBG
Mar 9, 2005, 10:06 PM
Hmm, I vaguely remember him, Chris. Welcome back, cnj24!!! As you probably know already, I totally agree with you re: the West Shore. ;)

EastSideHBG
Mar 9, 2005, 11:24 PM
Holy shit!!! I have 27 news on as I browse the forum and they just had a story on about the changes to State St. from the Capitol to the river. I had NO idea about this!!! They are going to make it look like it did in the old days, where you could see the river unobstructed from the Capitol's steps. This means the trees and the concrete islands come out, a grassy knoll is put in its place and parking will only be on one side of the street now?!? Work begins this summer...

Damn. RIP "Fruit Loop", RIP. I really liked those islands and the mature trees on them and I have fond memories of State St. in that area. Damn.

:(

*sigh* Oh well, I have plenty of "before" pics so I will be sure to take pics of the process and then the "after" pics. It will make for a very good thread at least...

wrightchr
Mar 10, 2005, 9:07 AM
Holy shit!!! I have 27 news on as I browse the forum and they just had a story on about the changes to State St. from the Capitol to the river. I had NO idea about this!!! They are going to make it look like it did in the old days, where you could see the river unobstructed from the Capitol's steps. This means the trees and the concrete islands come out, a grassy knoll is put in its place and parking will only be on one side of the street now?!? Work begins this summer...

very cool. i can't wait to see how it turns out. but i wonder where the parking they will be getting rid of, will be replaced. or maybe it won't be. i guess more people will be fighting for a limited amount of spaces near the capitol or parking in garages.

Ex-Ithacan
Mar 10, 2005, 12:16 PM
Jeebus, I hope I don't get lost next time I drive around H-burg. All those street changes may mean I end up in a bad hood by accident.;)

Thanks for the info Dave.

EastSideHBG
Mar 11, 2005, 12:38 AM
From the sounds of it, Chris, they aren't going to be replacing the parking that will be lost. I would imagine another parking garage is going to be popping up in/near DT soon; one almost has to at this point...

LOL Tom. You know your buddy Dave, I wouldn't let you wind up in a bad 'hood. I will have the red carpet rolled out for you if/when you come back through. ;)

This is pretty interesting (read both articles). :???:

Developer plans to move 3 mansions

Thursday, March 10, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Three threatened North Front Street mansions could be moved.

Mary Knackstedt, owner of the brick-and-stone manors between 2901 and 2917 N. Front St., applied yesterday for a demolition permit from Harrisburg for all three.

The move comes a week after Knackstedt, an interior designer, withdrew plans to build a 32-unit condominium building on the site after city officials said the project would be rejected.

The new plans drew another outcry from neighboring residents and city preservationists, who said Knackstedt's project is a threat to Front Street's historic charm.

Knackstedt said she doesn't want to demolish the buildings, merely move them to clear the way for luxury condos. She said seeking a demolition permit was the only avenue available to obtain approval for moving the mansions.

"The objective is to go forward with the project," said Knackstedt, owner of Mary K Interiors Inc. at 2901 N. Front St.

City spokesman Randy King said yesterday that Mayor Stephen R. Reed remains against removing old mansions from Front Street, fearing it could set a precedent.

But King said the city has "limited legal guidelines" regarding demolition permits for buildings not in an historic zone. Knackstedt's houses, built between 1916 and 1925, lack a historic designation.

"The city strongly opposes this," King said. "We will do whatever we can to prevent this from happening."

Knackstedt said she's already lined up a buyer and new locations for all three mansions. And she said an engineering study has determined that the mansions can be moved intact without damage.

"It's relatively simple," she said, adding the houses would remain in the area, but not necessarily in the city. She said the buyer is local, with other real estate interests.

Preservationists said losing the mansions, either to the wrecking ball or the moving truck, would mar Front Street.

"It would be a shame for the state capital and all the people of Pennsylvania, not just residents of Harrisburg," said Paul Blust, owner of two 19th-century mansions on Front Street.

Historic Harrisburg President Diane McCormick acknowledged an uphill fight in trying to stop Knackstedt.

Without historic designations, it might be relatively easy to obtain a city demolition permit -- a process that doesn't involve public hearings, an oversight board or avenues for appeal, McCormick said.

Her group is exploring all options, including expanding the city's historic district.

Blust said historic districts are merely lines on a map and should have always protected more of Front Street. "All of Front Street is historic," he said, adding it isn't too late to fix the mistake.

McCormick said she can't understand why Knackstedt keeps pressing ahead in the face of so much opposition.

"All I can figure is, she [Knackstedt] thinks 'it's my property, I can do what I want,'" she said.

Knackstedt said she's not deaf to the uproar but that critics miss the big picture. "They haven't seen the drawings. They don't know what the project is about," she said.

"I'm extremely excited because I really feel this is going to be one of the great things to happen to Harrisburg in a long, long time."

Knackstedt's $30 million building would feature 32 units with terraces, balconies and views of the Susquehanna River. Some of the condos could approach 4,000 square feet and sell for $1 million.

"This will raise the level of the whole area," she said.

City of Harrisburg
FOR IMMEDIATE USE
March 8 2005

Statement by Mayor Stephen R. Reed Regarding Demolition Permit Applications Filed to Raze Three North 2nd and Division Streets; Mansions

“The demolition permit applications were not expected, as the developer had withdrawn the project from further consideration by the city Planning Commission. The demolition applications were neither encouraged nor welcomed.

“The city believes two significant problems exist with the project proposal for the site: it violates provisions of the Pennsylvania Municipal Planning Code, which prohibits a large multi-unit residential complex in this category of residential development area; and demolition there creates a precedent that opens the door to others seeking to demolish other Front Street mansions.

“The city’s view has not changed. The project is a splendid proposal but it needs to be located at an alternate site that does not involve these two critical issues.”

EastSideHBG
Mar 11, 2005, 12:40 AM
Middletown rejects plan's zoning change

Developer sought to cut lot size for single-family houses

Thursday, March 10, 2005
BY DIANA STRICKER
For The Patriot-News

After local officials nixed a zoning change that would have allowed single-family houses on smaller lots, a planned development in Middletown's Woodland Hills area may once again include a mix of multifamily and single-family houses.

The Borough Council has rejected a proposal that would have allowed the developers to build about 300 single-family homes on a 167-acre tract north of the turnpike. The area is the last large tract of undeveloped land in the borough.

The developer, H-T Partners LLC of Landisville, initially proposed construction of 212 single-family homes, 78 duplexes and 82 town houses.

But council members voiced opposition to multi-family units. After meeting with borough officials, the developers sought a new zoning designation that would allow single-family homes on smaller lots.

Had the zoning change been approved, H-T Partners would have eliminated town houses and duplexes from the proposed complex. But the council rejected the zoning change on Monday night by a 5-4 vote.

The developers will most likely proceed with the original plans, project engineer Gary Roeder said in a phone interview.

Council members John Patten, Rachelle Reid, Robert Long, Joseph Dailey and David Rhen voted against a motion to advertise the proposed zoning switch.

"Why do we want to compress lots?" Patten asked. "It does not make good sense. It does not make for a better community."

The change would have reduced lot size from 7,500 square feet to 6,000 square feet, and would have reduced the width from 75 feet to 55 feet.

"That makes a very crowded neighborhood," Patten told the council. He added that the developers' original plan "was a reasonable proposal."

Borough Manager Jeffrey Stonehill said the next step would be for the developers to submit subdivision plans to the planning commission and then to the council.

"We're once again back to square one," Stonehill said.

Councilman Michael Culp, who voted in favor of advertising the most recent zoning change, said he believes that single-family homes would have been better for the borough.

"We just wanted to advertise it so the public could comment on it," Culp said.

EastSideHBG
Mar 11, 2005, 12:44 AM
The whole story on the State St. project:

Federal funds to help restore State Street

Thursday, March 10, 2005
BY JAN MURPHY
Of The Patriot-News

About $2.5 million is coming to Dauphin County for four projects, including one that would restore State Street's historic appearance between the Capitol and the Susquehanna River.

The other projects include improving pedestrian safety around Harrisburg's Scott and Rowland schools, sprucing up the Linglestown Square, and providing better pedestrian access near Lower Dauphin Middle School.

Funding comes from federal dollars flowing through Gov. Ed Rendell's $200 million Home Town Streets and Safe Routes to Schools program.

So far, 142 projects totaling $128 million have been funded through the program, which is designed to encourage redevelopment in downtown areas. Nine projects totaling $4.2 million have been in the midstate. Projects require a 20 percent local match.

The program "is really about giving a boost to the core towns of Pennsylvania," said Transportation Secretary Allen Biehler.

Harrisburg is receiving $1 million to remove the concrete median in the center of the two-block stretch of State Street in front of the Capitol and move parking to the side. Sidewalks will be replaced with brick pavers. Tree plantings, street lights, benches and information kiosks will be added.

"You will have a straight view from the Capitol steps right down to the river," said city engineer Joe Link. The improvements would make the street's appearance similar to the way it looked in the early 1900s, he said.

The $74,750 worth of street crossing improvements around Scott and Rowland schools are to include pedestrian signals, flashing school zone signs and cross walks.

Because 2,500 vehicles pass by the schools in a two-hour span in the morning, assistant superintendent Bernie Manning said the improvements will make it easier to get students across the street safely. Some parents have complained that it is unsafe.

"This will eliminate about 50 percent of the parental phone calls that I've been getting dealing with school safety," he said.

Lower Paxton Twp. is receiving $683,445 for the Linglestown Square project. The work includes installing curbing, sidewalks, trees and a roundabout to ease traffic flow around the memorial flag pole in the square.

Hummelstown's share of the federal money totals $776,250. Officials said the money will be used to fill in gaps in the curbs and sidewalks along Walton Avenue and Quarry Road near the middle school. It also will buy signs for school crossings.