PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : CHICAGO | 108 North State (Block 37)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Norsider
Mar 7, 2007, 1:51 AM
^ Can't tell if your second post is intended to be facetious like your first post was. By the way, it's probably not a good idea to write those too straight-faced; there are many casual readers out there who'll go off thinking Chicago is one-dimensional and anti-preservation or something.

I think someone may be overestimating the reach of this forum.

denizen467
Mar 7, 2007, 6:45 AM
I think someone may be overestimating the reach of this forum.
I was not suggesting that all building fans from Argentina to Zambia are poring over our forums. I was alluding to the fact that we occasionally get posts out of the blue from people in the South, the West, Canada, Asia, Scandinavia, and what have you, admiring or asking about developments in the city. And for every person who posts there are scores who only view (107,000 views of this thread so far is not chump change). And many of these people just swoop in and get a flavor of the city from a brief read of the thread. I do this myself when I notice interesting developments in Dubai or Paris or Moscow or (if they ever had one) Timbuktu. So people do get impressions that way; why post something that is diametrically opposite to what you and all of us believe in? It'd be like, say, a Daley fan wearing a shirt that says 'Screw Daley' on a trip to NY as some inside joke that only his travelling companions get. Sure, there's no major impact, but why bother giving wrong impressions?
Speaking of reach, didn't we also establish that Jeanne Gang (among others) follows the forum?

SamInTheLoop
Mar 9, 2007, 12:36 AM
It's been great to see work still going strong past 8pm on a regular basis - I think the new developers are really going all-out to deliver this project on schedule........actually, though, I think the Joseph Freed purchase is still not official - I want that baby wrapped up asap...I'll be very happy when Mills is gone forever!!

takascar
Mar 9, 2007, 5:54 PM
I've been noticing that they have one corner of the office building (the northeast) that seems to have one of the vertical steel beams that is crooked. Either it was installed wrong or it sagged rather severely.

A bunch of workers were around it today doing something to it. The rest of the building has 7 or so floors of steel installed, but this one corner is only at five.

What happened - was this beam installed wrong or did it sag for some unforeseen reason???

headcase
Mar 9, 2007, 6:16 PM
What happened - was this beam installed wrong or did it sag for some unforeseen reason???

The Curse, the Curse, The Curse!

SSDD

denizen467
Mar 10, 2007, 7:08 AM
^ anybody have any photos of this ?

Reminiscence
Mar 10, 2007, 3:36 PM
Kind of a crappy shot I took yesterday. I was originally going to take pictures from all angles, but the rain started coming down, so I was not able to finish. Sorry, but perhaps next time.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/2779/block371ut0.jpg

CGII
Mar 10, 2007, 4:30 PM
Has MoMo already topped out? That's got to be the most overlooked project in the city right now.

ardecila
Mar 10, 2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah, it topped out a week or two ago. I agree; although, while it is a bit overlooked here at SSP, SSC has a pretty active discussion.

paytonc
Mar 12, 2007, 3:10 AM
People are also constructing unbuilt Wright designs and other awesome would-have-beens.

One example of a reconstruction after the wrecking ball hit: FLW's Francisco Terrace, partly moved (from E. Garfield Park) and partly rebuilt in Oak Park.

bnk
Mar 12, 2007, 3:29 AM
Kind of a crappy shot I took yesterday. I was originally going to take pictures from all angles, but the rain started coming down, so I was not able to finish. Sorry, but perhaps next time.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/2779/block371ut0.jpg

That is a really good shot. Not a crappy one in the least.

Very smart to include the Picasso.

Thanks.

chicubs111
Mar 12, 2007, 9:30 PM
I cant copy and paste the article for some reason so here is the link.....http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=24196

spyguy
Mar 12, 2007, 9:40 PM
The drama never ends, does it?

Reminiscence
Mar 12, 2007, 11:28 PM
That is a really good shot. Not a crappy one in the least.

Very smart to include the Picasso.

Thanks.

You're welcome. Maybe crappy wasent the word I was looking for, but that angle was not the one I was intending to capture. Rain that day prevented me from capturing this site from the other 3 sides. I guess it turned out pretty good by accident :)

SamInTheLoop
Mar 13, 2007, 12:47 AM
The drama never ends, does it?

I hope all the people who had anything to do with originally selecting Mills can live with themselves......I'm not sure I could. It's not like I want to play Monday morning quarterback and claim selecting Mills was obviously a bad choice, but I will and it was. I sure hope not, but I have a bad feeling that in some way Mills' involvement will be haunting the project long after the company no longer exists.........

chicubs111
Mar 13, 2007, 1:12 AM
Come on morningstar....hold in there just till the shitehead mills is out of the picture...please dont bail.

budman
Mar 13, 2007, 2:30 AM
I cant copy and paste the article for some reason so here is the link.....http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=24196
^If this wasn't so sad it would be funny. But it isn't. It is very, very sad. I am just crossing my fingers. How much is 26,000 sq ft of rent worth over the (approximately) 10 -15 year period of the lease? I think it would be tough for Morningstar to back out, since they would only have a year or so to find new space, and they clearly want class A new space. And I cant imagine that the city would do anything to jeapordize this project, so I bet the change from hotel to apartment will be approved (although I personally would prefer a hotel).

the urban politician
Mar 13, 2007, 3:28 AM
What a crock

jcchii
Mar 13, 2007, 3:48 AM
yeah. cursed.
hopefully they finish that building before a huge sinkhole swallows it

Marcu
Mar 13, 2007, 5:33 AM
Is there a way we can consolidate all of Chicago's curses into one that is easier to manage? (the block 37, cubs, etc.)

chicubs111
Mar 13, 2007, 12:36 PM
Another setback for Block 37

By SUsan Diesenhouse
Tribune staff reporter
Published March 12, 2007, 8:56 PM CDT

Block 37, the long-troubled, $450 million mixed-use project in the heart of downtown Chicago, has hit another in a long series of roadblocks: The developer building the residential portion, Chicago-based Golub & Co., has been taken off that part of the job, the company's attorney said Monday.

For almost two decades, developers have tried but failed to get the ambitious State Street project under way. The massive development, which would include offices, retail, housing and an underground train station, has lurched from start to stop to start again.

But last year, it seemed to be rolling ahead. The Mills Corp. of Chevy Chase, Md., was the lead developer. Work on the train station was started. Last fall, financially strapped Mills sold the rights to build the offices to Golub and also agreed to also sell Golub the right to build the residential portion. Finally, it seemed, a big void in the middle of the city would spring to life.

But on March 7, Golub received notice that its right to build the housing had been terminated by Mills, said Golub's attorney, Howard Swibel of Arnstein & Lehr LLP in Chicago.

Golub's residential rights, Swibel explained, "have been unceremoniously canceled." The reason: Mills wants to sell the housing to Joseph Freed & Associates of Palatine, which is now developing the 300,000 square feet of retail space in the project, Swibel said.

Calls Monday night to Freed, Mills and Mill's attorney were not returned.

Swibel added, "Now [Golub] is focused on being protected for the office portion."

Golub has invested about $7 million so far in the 440,000-square-foot office phase. Company President Michael ****** said, "It's really tough to discuss this right now."

A source close to the project said Golub still wants to complete the office portion. That seemed financially feasible because much of the building is pre-leased, with Morningstar Inc., the Chicago-based financial research firm, agreeing to occupy more than 200,000 square feet.

Unfortunately, Morningstar, and thus Golub, are entangled in a legal dispute with Mills. Morningstar agreed to lease approximately 211,000 square feet to be re-measured once construction was complete. However, it now appears that the floors that the research company agreed to take are actually 237,000 square feet.

Morningstar has balked, refusing to assume the extra expense.

Last Wednesday, Golub filed a lawsuit in Cook County Circuit Court requesting that Mills compensate Golub for the approximately $7 million it has invested in the housing and any extra expense Morningstar would incur for the office space. The lawsuit is still pending. Swibel said a hearing on the matter is scheduled for Tuesday. He added, "We are requesting that money from the sale [to Freed] goes to pay Golub what it is owed," said Swibel.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-hed

sentinel
Mar 13, 2007, 1:05 PM
Another setback for Block 37

By SUsan Diesenhouse
Tribune staff reporter
Published March 12, 2007, 8:56 PM CDT

Block 37, the long-troubled, $450 million mixed-use project in the heart of downtown Chicago, has hit another in a long series of roadblocks: The developer building the residential portion, Chicago-based Golub & Co., has been taken off that part of the job, the company's attorney said Monday.

For almost two decades, developers have tried but failed to get the ambitious State Street project under way. The massive development, which would include offices, retail, housing and an underground train station, has lurched from start to stop to start again.

But last year, it seemed to be rolling ahead. The Mills Corp. of Chevy Chase, Md., was the lead developer. Work on the train station was started. Last fall, financially strapped Mills sold the rights to build the offices to Golub and also agreed to also sell Golub the right to build the residential portion. Finally, it seemed, a big void in the middle of the city would spring to life.

But on March 7, Golub received notice that its right to build the housing had been terminated by Mills, said Golub's attorney, Howard Swibel of Arnstein & Lehr LLP in Chicago.

Golub's residential rights, Swibel explained, "have been unceremoniously canceled." The reason: Mills wants to sell the housing to Joseph Freed & Associates of Palatine, which is now developing the 300,000 square feet of retail space in the project, Swibel said.

Calls Monday night to Freed, Mills and Mill's attorney were not returned.

Swibel added, "Now [Golub] is focused on being protected for the office portion."

Golub has invested about $7 million so far in the 440,000-square-foot office phase. Company President Michael ****** said, "It's really tough to discuss this right now."

A source close to the project said Golub still wants to complete the office portion. That seemed financially feasible because much of the building is pre-leased, with Morningstar Inc., the Chicago-based financial research firm, agreeing to occupy more than 200,000 square feet.

Unfortunately, Morningstar, and thus Golub, are entangled in a legal dispute with Mills. Morningstar agreed to lease approximately 211,000 square feet to be re-measured once construction was complete. However, it now appears that the floors that the research company agreed to take are actually 237,000 square feet.

Morningstar has balked, refusing to assume the extra expense.

Last Wednesday, Golub filed a lawsuit in Cook County Circuit Court requesting that Mills compensate Golub for the approximately $7 million it has invested in the housing and any extra expense Morningstar would incur for the office space. The lawsuit is still pending. Swibel said a hearing on the matter is scheduled for Tuesday. He added, "We are requesting that money from the sale [to Freed] goes to pay Golub what it is owed," said Swibel.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-hed

This is an absolute joke. Mills is a joke - Golub was cheated by them royally and quite frankly and sadly, I don't even give a s**t about this project anymore.

SamInTheLoop
Mar 13, 2007, 4:12 PM
This is an absolute joke. Mills is a joke - Golub was cheated by them royally and quite frankly and sadly, I don't even give a s**t about this project anymore.

You are correct - the criminal enterprise known as Mills Corporation did screw Golub. Golub is suing and I hope the truth comes out and Mills is forced to honor the sale of the residential portion to Golub. I want Golub in control of both residential towers, not Freed. And I want Freed on board handling only the retail - the way this deal was supposed to work. I think it's not too hard to figure out what's going on here - Steve Jacobsen (former Mills exec, now a Freed exec in charge of the Block 37 retail portion) worked out some sort of sweetheart deal with his old company to improperly remove Golub from the residential portion of the project

Chitown
Mar 13, 2007, 7:21 PM
God, I feel for Golub. Being involved in small commercial construction projects, I've seen my share of cheats; you wouldn't expect it in such a high-profile case. Getting screwed to the tune of 7 mildo is brutal.

sentinel
Mar 13, 2007, 7:41 PM
God, I feel for Golub. Being involved in small commercial construction projects, I've seen my share of cheats; you wouldn't expect it in such a high-profile case. Getting screwed to the tune of 7 mildo is brutal.

I've met Mr. Golub before, and he is a genuinely nice man, and given the fact that he has been in this business for so long and been successful at it for so long as well, I don't think this is the end of the story. Expect him and his army of lawyers to push back very hard at this affront. Mills is gonna lose big time, even more than before and it's safe to say that Mr. Jacobsen will be nicely blacklisted from the Chicago development scene for years to come for this idiocy. You don't fcuk with Gene Golub on his home turf and expect to win.

Chitown
Mar 13, 2007, 7:48 PM
I've met Mr. Golub before, and he is a genuinely nice man, and given the fact that he has been in this business for so long and been successful at it for so long as well, I don't think this is the end of the story. Expect him and his army of lawyers to push back very hard at this affront. Mills is gonna lose big time, even more than before and it's safe to say that Mr. Jacobsen will be nicely blacklisted from the Chicago development scene for years to come for this idiocy. You don't fcuk with Gene Golub on his home turf and expect to win.
Sadly, though, winning and getting paid are two different things. Best of luck to him; I hope he hoses Mills.

Marcu
Mar 13, 2007, 9:56 PM

Couldn't agree more. The case will likely be settled and Jacobsen will be out of the Chicago construction scene for a while. Don't know if this is relevant, but Golub was one of Daley's biggest campaign contributors at 50k.

SamInTheLoop
Mar 13, 2007, 10:33 PM

Nothing would please me more than to see Golub succeed - I hope this is settled quickly with Golub retaining the residential component...

SolarWind
Mar 14, 2007, 4:41 AM
March 13, 2007

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1802/dsc0312copyjh9.jpg

Norsider
Mar 14, 2007, 5:28 AM
March 13, 2007

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1802/dsc0312copyjh9.jpg

I hope I'm way off here, but get the feeling that this building is turning out to be a real shit sandwich.

sentinel
Mar 14, 2007, 12:57 PM
I hope I'm way off here, but get the feeling that this building is turning out to be a real shit sandwich.

I think it's way too early to tell; they're still framing this one.

the urban politician
Mar 14, 2007, 2:41 PM

^ I find it silly that you think you can form that opinion based on a steel skeleton

SamInTheLoop
Mar 14, 2007, 10:52 PM

I hope you're right. I mean - what is Steve Jacobsen's greatest accomplishment in Chicago-area real estate development? Gurnee Mills? What a joke.......And how long was he dragging his feet on the Block 37 retail leasing effort while Mills controlled it? Give me a break - it took him a couple years to even release a short bs list of tenants that were 'interested' (no leases signed or 1 at the most) and that was only after intense pressure from the city to come up with something........does anybody else get the impression that Jacobsen is a total hack??

CHIllini
Mar 15, 2007, 5:38 PM
This morning from the bus going East on Washington I noticed a line of dump trucks formed cutting through the site. I think the major excavation has begun!

chicubs111
Mar 17, 2007, 7:24 PM
Ruling paves way for sale of Block 37 residential to Freed

A court ruling has cleared the way for Mills Corp. to sell the residential portion of the Block 37 project in the Loop to developer Joseph A. Freed & Associates LLC.

Mills earlier this month terminated its contract with Chicago-based Golub & Co. to develop the project’s two residential towers in favor of a new deal with Freed.

Palatine-based Freed first arrived on the scene in November when it agreed to buy the retail portion from Mills, which is exiting the long star-crossed project on State Street between Randolph and Washington streets.

Golub, which will continue to build an office tower at the site, sued Mills, seeking a $20-million lien on the residential project to cover repayment of $4 million it spent on the development and $16 million related to a dispute with the largest tenant of the office tower, Morningstar Inc.

Cook County Circuit Court Judge Stuart Palmer on Thursday rejected Golub’s request for the lien, which Mills CEO Mark Ordan says means the sale of the residential portion to Freed could close within several weeks.

“We obviously are very pleased by the outcome,” Mr. Ordan said Friday from Mills’ headquarters in Chevy Chase, Md. “It means the big question mark in the middle of the city is soon not going to be a question mark.”

Mills was represented in the matter by John Chen, partner with Chicago firm Chen Nelson Ltd., and Indianapolis-based law firm Ice Miller LLP.

Golub executive vice-president Lee Golub says the firm is “weighing our options” over its next move, and declines further comment about the lawsuit.

Mr. Ordan says Mills dropped Golub from the residential portion because the firm was trying to pay less than it had agreed.

“The price Golub originally promised to pay proved to be very different than what they were willing to pay at the end of the day,” Mr. Ordan says, declining to provide details.

Mr. Golub wouldn’t respond to that.

“I’m not going to get into that,” Mr. Golub says. “We wish the project success on the residential side. We’re happy to be part of Block 37 in the capacity of office developer.”

Yet in its lawsuit, initially filed March 7, Golub asserts that the office and residential developments are “vitally inter-related.” Losing the residential portion is a blow to Golub. Mr. Golub has previously said profits from the office building are thin, no more than 7.1% to 7.2%.

Related story: Block 37 office costs trim Golub's profits

The 16-story office tower, which is under construction, is to be anchored by WBBM-TV/Channel 2 and a new headquarters for mutual fund rating company Morningstar.

Morningstar signed a lease with Mills to occupy 211,200 square feet in the building. Subsequent measurements show the company’s space will actually be about 237,000 square feet. Golub’s lawsuit says Morningstar is refusing to pay more rent for the additional 26,000 square feet.

Judge Palmer in his decision says Golub can’t seek money to cover potential damages from the discrepancy since Morningstar hasn’t even taken legal action. The judge also notes that Golub knew the 211,200-square-foot figure was an estimate.

“The buyer knew of this problem when he went forward with closing on the office component,” Judge Palmer said Thursday, according to a transcript of the proceeding. “The fact of the matter is that the plaintiff knowingly bought a problem.”

Block 37 has seemingly been jinxed ever since the city demolished most of the block in 1989 to clear the way for a Helmut Jahn-designed high-rise. That project ultimately failed, as did several other attempts over the years.

Mills, which is in the process of being sold to another mall developer, was the first firm to begin construction after being selected by the city in 2002 as master developer of the mixed-use project, which is to include 265,000 square feet of retail space, a new Chicago Transit Authority station, the office building and the two residential towers.

Mills revealed large losses on failed projects elsewhere just more than a year ago, and also said it was facing a cash crunch and a Securities and Exchange Commission investigation into its accounting.

Mills CEO Mr. Ordan says the company is confident Freed will keep its portions of the Block 37 project on schedule. Freed executives didn’t respond to calls seeking comment.

“We obviously felt very comfortable with the decision to work with Freed” on the residential portion, Mr. Ordan says.

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=24266

ardecila
Mar 17, 2007, 11:53 PM
Well, good news for Block 37. I have faith in Freed... but damn, what a backhanded move. I feel bad for Golub, hopefully they can recover their money through a later suit.

honte
Mar 18, 2007, 12:20 AM
Well, now that we have said our regrets for Golub, I guess it's safe to speculate on possible benefits from this deal.

- Could the hotel component return?
- Could we get a different firm than SCB? There's the chance of it getting better, but also an even bigger chance of it getting worse.
- Could we maybe get a tower with some real height, a landmark befitting the endless wait and public money spent on this disastrous site?

SamInTheLoop
Mar 19, 2007, 5:11 AM
Well, now that we have said our regrets for Golub, I guess it's safe to speculate on possible benefits from this deal.

- Could we get a different firm than SCB? There's the chance of it getting better, but also an even bigger chance of it getting worse.
- Could we maybe get a tower with some real height, a landmark befitting the endless wait and public money spent on this disastrous site?

I've had the same questions. I'm worried the design could be worse....hopefully the city will pushback on anything mediocre or worse...a hotel would be nice and obviously makes a lot of sense at this site, but I won't complain about 800 units of residential instead...I think it's probably unlikely we'll get anything over 500', but I suppose anything's possible...

SamInTheLoop
Mar 19, 2007, 5:12 AM
never post after daytime st pats drinking....^ hopefully this project stays on track. The one thing i don't get is, after the city spent all that money bringing back the theatres along Randolph, why didn't they support some sort of theatre component in this project?

I think the city actually was pushing for some sort of live theater component...personally I think something like that could be incorporated, but I don't think it's a necessity...

spyguy
Mar 19, 2007, 5:25 AM

Bring back P+W! Or pretty much anyone else besides SCB, LL, or P/H.:yes:
Really the most pathetic part about this development is the office tower which has a height appropriate for the suburbs, not for a valuable piece of property downtown.

Nowhereman1280
Mar 19, 2007, 6:30 AM
Really the most pathetic part about this development is the office tower which has a height appropriate for the suburbs, not for a valuable piece of property downtown.

^^^
Its ok, at least somethings being built, besides, I'm sure that short little shit will get torn down and replaced by something in the next boom, or the boom after that, but for now we have a short little filler building at least...

denizen467
Mar 19, 2007, 6:50 AM
Can anyone explain why they're using these trusses and other diagonal load-transferring columns on a measly 18-story office building? What we're seeing is happening a few floors up (not near the ground floor), and the only reason I can think of is that it's to reduce the number of columns, but I doubt that there's much benefit to anyone from getting rid of a few columns for the top 10 stories of offices (unless CBS needs something special, but their studios will be closer to the ground level I think). Is there some unique structural need here? Could this maybe enable some sort of 'vertical expansion' in the future?

honte
Mar 19, 2007, 10:08 AM
^ I was able to get a glimpse of the foundation plans for the whole block, and they were an absolute mess. The train cuts obliquely through the site, making things really complicated at times. Then, you also have all of these competing systems that must be accommodated.

I didn't see it closely enough to know if this is the cause, but I would guess something along those lines.

Chicago Shawn
Mar 19, 2007, 10:15 PM
https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/524002.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/524004.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/524007.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/524013.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/524021.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/524025.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/524030.jpg

SamInTheLoop
Mar 20, 2007, 12:03 PM

Absolutely. It made no sense for Mills to launch a building with 80% pre-leasing. This has led to the building having such a low return projection for new construction (7% or so, compared to more typical 10%+). They were intent on taking the absolute minimum of risk, when they really should have aimed for a pre-leasing rate of 50-60%, thus adding several floors and enhancing the projected return by having the upside of additional floors to lease at higher rental rates.

Here's what's most shocking though - until Morningstar came along as the building's anchor tenant, Mills was actually prepared to construct just a 5-story building for CBS. The city pushed back on this. This was mentioned by (I believe CEO Larry Siegel) on an earnings call 1-2 years ago... Can you imagine what a tragedy that would have been? A low-rise building at that corner 'framing' Daley Plaza? So I'm certainly thankful we didn't end up with that nonsense!

At the end of the day, after all of this drama involving the residential component shifting from Golub to Freed, I have to remind myself of the ultimate light at the end of the tunnel: one day soon Mills will be completely gone and will have NOTHING to do with the project - now that will be an event worthy of hearty celebration!

honte
Mar 20, 2007, 1:34 PM
^ No joke. Mills was such a schlocky developer, I was always surprised the Daley administration went for them.

pherek
Mar 21, 2007, 7:51 AM
3/20/07

The CBS building thru Macy's dirty glass
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5323/img1956rh5.jpg

Looks like caisson action at the northwest corner of the block. Is this new?
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2921/img1959ma9.jpg

headcase
Mar 21, 2007, 10:44 PM
Daley plaza pics looks so much cooler now with cbs/morningstar office in the back ground.

The other thing that is interesting is since that picture they have put a small fence around the Picasso, about the same size as the one around the flame.

SSDD

ardecila
Mar 21, 2007, 11:34 PM
That sucks. Picasso only did the sculpture under the assumption that it would be publicly enjoyed, not displayed as if in a gallery.

Citizen
Mar 21, 2007, 11:57 PM
Not to worry. The fence is probably a leftover from the recent protests in Daley Plaza. Get a job people. :-)

i_am_hydrogen
Mar 22, 2007, 4:31 PM
delete.

SamInTheLoop
Mar 23, 2007, 1:53 PM
With all of the drama involving the project in the last couple weeks, it was great to walk by the site yesterday and see visible progress - steel erection continuing on the office building (they are working on floors 7 and 8 now) and caisson work continuing for the residential towers.

I think Freed has done some great projects (particularly I'm thinking of their adaptive re-use developments) and I don't worry too much about them taking over the retail and now the residential components. However, one thing about Golub that I like is their partnerships with very deep-pocketed institutional equity investors (such as BlackRock, AEW etc). I'm not certain if Freed has such strong partnerships with these types of investor partners, but I sure hope that they do!

SamInTheLoop
Mar 24, 2007, 7:54 PM
Walked by the site at about 9pm yesterday and they were still pouring caissons.....this morning there was excavation work on a Saturday - it's nice to see they are working as if on a firm deadline on this project!

I have another question re the Freed takeover of the residential portion: I am wondering if they are as committed as Golub seemed to be of moving forward with the residential towers almost immediately upon completion of the retail podium (Golub indicated construction of both residential towers would begin in 2008), or are they going to needlessly 'dilly-dally' for a couple years? This question could be related to my previous one regarding the existence of equity investment partners that Freed will undoubtedly need to pull off this massive project...

Chi_Coruscant
Mar 24, 2007, 9:06 PM
I am thinking about that too. I am hoping Freed would bring the hotel portion back to the mix. Plus it would be even nicer to bring the movie theater as well. This is a promising project that would eventually replace now-dead Marshall Field's and recently-vacated Carson as the heart and pulse of the State Street. I cannot see any reason why they shouldn't be there.

SamInTheLoop
Mar 26, 2007, 4:02 AM
I am thinking about that too. I am hoping Freed would bring the hotel portion back to the mix. Plus it would be even nicer to bring the movie theater as well. This is a promising project that would eventually replace now-dead Marshall Field's and recently-vacated Carson as the heart and pulse of the State Street. I cannot see any reason why they shouldn't be there.

An upscale movie theater makes so much sense at this location that I'm sure it probably won't happen (also it's been reported that Daley has a certain distaste for movie theaters resulting from what the old theaters on block 37 turned into). In fact, if done right, it would probably be the ideal use for part of the 3rd and 4th floors.

SamInTheLoop
Mar 28, 2007, 12:16 PM
I'm hoping the transaction with Freed can close fairly quickly, so we can learn about Freed's plans. Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic, but I really worry we'll actually wind up with a worse design than the Gensler podium-SCB residential towers. The design could certainly be improved, but frankly I think the chances are greater for it to get worse. If they do bring back a hotel, I hope it has more than the previoulsy planned 300 rooms. Unless we're talking about huge luxury suites, a hotel at Block 37 should easily have at least 500 or so rooms. At any rate, I hope Freed is as up-front with their plans for the 2 non-office towers as Golub seemed to be, and hopefully they are much, much, much more up-front with their plans for the retail portion than Mills was (afterall, there is public money involved - this is reason enough for some level of public transparency regarding this development)...

honte
Mar 28, 2007, 12:27 PM
^ I hadn't thought of the notion that they could scrap the Gensler part.... that would be a shame, I agree, because I doubt that part would get any better.

But the retail design is so far along in development, I highly doubt they will be let go. If anything, they know so much about the phasing of the site and the peculiar aspects of its planning. The caisson plan I saw was really complex. Also, I think the CTA has hired them to do the station anyway (I can't recall if this is a hard fact), so they probably will continue to be involved.

SamInTheLoop
Mar 28, 2007, 5:32 PM
^ I hadn't thought of the notion that they could scrap the Gensler part.... that would be a shame, I agree, because I doubt that part would get any better.

But the retail design is so far along in development, I highly doubt they will be let go. If anything, they know so much about the phasing of the site and the peculiar aspects of its planning. The caisson plan I saw was really complex. Also, I think the CTA has hired them to do the station anyway (I can't recall if this is a hard fact), so they probably will continue to be involved.

I'm definitely jealous that you got a look at the engineering schematics - I'm fascinated by the complexity of this project and what's going on right now underground...

SamInTheLoop
Mar 31, 2007, 4:50 PM
Walked by the site yesterday and they appeared to have removed most if not all of the larger rigs.....could caisson work be pretty much finished??

AnotherPunter
Mar 31, 2007, 10:35 PM
Fire hits Loop high-rise under construction

By Jason Meisner and Emma Graves Fitzsimmons
Tribune staff reporters
Published March 31, 2007, 4:14 PM CDT

Welders working in a high-rise building under construction in the Loop ignited a smoky fire this afternoon, but no injuries were reported, fire department officials said.

The fire broke out around 3:30 p.m. in the building at 22 W. Washington St., Chicago Fire Department spokesman Kevin MacGregor said.

"It's a building under construction, basically a steel structure with a concrete elevator shaft in the interior," MacGregor said. The building frame was currently about eight stories high, he said.

Fire Department Deputy District Chief Winston Williams said sparks from welders working on one of the upper floors fell into a pile of wood on the ground floor, igniting the fire.

The blaze spread to some plastic construction materials, causing "heavy black smoke" that poured from the structure before the blaze could be brought under control, MacGregor said.

Five ambulances were called to the scene as a precaution, but all the construction workers got out of the building safely.

"We knocked it down pretty quick," MacGregor said. The alarm was struck shortly before 4 p.m., he said.

Williams said there was no structural damage to the building and construction could resume on schedule.

:hell:

spyguy
Mar 31, 2007, 10:41 PM
Everyone hates this project :yes:

Wake me up when it's finished in 2012

SevenSevenThree
Mar 31, 2007, 11:07 PM

Abit optimistic, arent we?

honte
Apr 1, 2007, 12:02 AM
This just in...

God and Lucifer form Historic Partnership to Thwart Chicago Development
Blasphemous "Block 37" Parcel Subject of Watershed Agreement

Alliance
Apr 1, 2007, 12:51 AM
:haha:

Nowhereman1280
Apr 1, 2007, 2:16 AM
I was down there right when that started happening and saw all the shit driving in to put it out. The place was swarming with emergency vehicles. I was wondering what was going on...

hdtvtechno
Apr 1, 2007, 4:33 AM

Maybe you but not us... :rolleyes:

Chicago Shawn
Apr 1, 2007, 3:11 PM
This site is so cursed. As soon as something rises out of the ground, it burns. A few months ago caisson work on the north half of the site stopped because Randolph Street began settling in toward the site.

SamInTheLoop
Apr 1, 2007, 4:25 PM
This just in...

God and Lucifer form Historic Partnership to Thwart Chicago Development
Blasphemous "Block 37" Parcel Subject of Watershed Agreement

:haha: :haha: :haha:

SamInTheLoop
Apr 1, 2007, 4:27 PM
Fire hits Loop high-rise under construction

By Jason Meisner and Emma Graves Fitzsimmons
Tribune staff reporters
Published March 31, 2007, 4:14 PM CDT

Welders working in a high-rise building under construction in the Loop ignited a smoky fire this afternoon, but no injuries were reported, fire department officials said.

The fire broke out around 3:30 p.m. in the building at 22 W. Washington St., Chicago Fire Department spokesman Kevin MacGregor said.

"It's a building under construction, basically a steel structure with a concrete elevator shaft in the interior," MacGregor said. The building frame was currently about eight stories high, he said.

Fire Department Deputy District Chief Winston Williams said sparks from welders working on one of the upper floors fell into a pile of wood on the ground floor, igniting the fire.

The blaze spread to some plastic construction materials, causing "heavy black smoke" that poured from the structure before the blaze could be brought under control, MacGregor said.

Five ambulances were called to the scene as a precaution, but all the construction workers got out of the building safely.

"We knocked it down pretty quick," MacGregor said. The alarm was struck shortly before 4 p.m., he said.

Williams said there was no structural damage to the building and construction could resume on schedule.

:hell:

I walked by this morning and they were already back to work on the office building. Surprised they were at it on a Sunday...there was also some excavation work going on on the rest of the block...

SamInTheLoop
Apr 2, 2007, 3:14 AM
^ I was just going to post what is very evident in you photo! I walked by a couple hours ago, and steel is now going up on the retail podium (the southeast corner of the block to be exact). I was actually surprised to see it this soon (as I believe the retail space itself isn't actually scheduled to be completed until mid-late 2008) but I remember Mills mentioned as early as last summer that they had already ordered steel for the retail portion of the development (not that anyone should ever believe anything that firm had to say without serious independent fact-checking!) Despite all the continuing setbacks, it really is amazing to finally watch something being built on this block!

the urban politician
Apr 2, 2007, 4:19 AM
:dancing: :pepper: :happypunk: :baby: :apple: :leek:

Ahhh, Block 37's next chapter begins...

Eventually...Chicago
Apr 2, 2007, 10:38 PM
I haven't been frequenting this thread as much as i should, but i have been wondering for awhile. What the heck is that little concrete building on the site and how is it going to relate the block 37?
I think it would be sweet if that somehow became the entrance to the EL underneath. Although, i am sure this is not possbile.

Kngkyle
Apr 2, 2007, 11:02 PM
I haven't been frequenting this thread as much as i should, but i have been wondering for awhile. What the heck is that little concrete building on the site and how is it going to relate the block 37?
I think it would be sweet if that somehow became the entrance to the EL underneath. Although, i am sure this is not possbile.

It's a electrical substation. It's staying where it is. You can see it in some of the renders.

pherek
Apr 5, 2007, 9:06 PM
That was fast; none of this steel on the eastern edge of the building was here 2 weeks ago.

Viewed from Macy's 8th floor overpriced home gallery
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1091/chicagopicsapril5200701qk6.jpg

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6876/chicagopicsapril5200701xn9.jpg

SolarWind
Apr 6, 2007, 2:08 AM
April 5, 2007

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6518/dsc0162copyhy0.jpg

left of center
Apr 6, 2007, 2:22 AM
wow, awesome! i love the diagonal space in the building meeting up at State and Washington, should make for a dramatic entrance to the supposed transit atrium that will be at the center of this development... assuming thats still part of the plan.

denizen467
Apr 6, 2007, 2:36 AM
^ Calling all engineers and other structure cognoscenti ... what is going on here? Are they laying the 1st "floor" so that they can continue to build up while they excavate underneath? Do people know whether they will excavate most of that part of the site that is visible here? Have they already started tunnelling (or will they be using the cut-and-cover method)?

honte
Apr 6, 2007, 4:29 AM
^ That certainly appears to be what's up. Fascinating framing plan - roughly (or directly?) parallels the train pathway beneath.

Now, if the final building turns out as interesting as the framing...

spyguy
Apr 17, 2007, 2:00 AM
Block 37 Perseveres
by Amy S. Choi
2007-04-16

The Mills Corp. may have bungled some of its former development projects, but Block 37 has the potential to become a premiere retail destination on State Street and launch a major revitalization of downtown Chicago retail as a whole.

Formerly known as Block 37, 108 North State Street was an eyesore in Chicago's Loop. It sat undeveloped for decades and passed through the hands of multiple developers before landing with Mills in 2002. The company had planned a major office, residential, retail and entertainment center, including a bowling alley and restaurants, but as the company crumbled due to mismanagement, it sold the development rights to the site piecemeal.

The site is a sensitive subject for Chicagoans, to say the least. But Joseph Freed & Associates, a local developer that acquired the retail development rights to the site from Mills last year, hopes to turn the tide. The company controls the roughly 265,000 square feet of retail on Block 37. Golub Co., another local developer, acquired the office and residential development rights. They expect the project to open in the fall of 2008.

Having this historic site in the hands of Chicago companies has eased the minds of retailers and residents, especially given Block 37's location as the northern hub of the Loop. The massive project encompasses an entire city block, bordered by the trendy, restaurant-packed River North neighborhood and the booming theater district. It sits across the street from the historic Marshall Fields-now-Macy's flagship, which still suffers soft sales since its conversion to the Macy's banner in fall 2006. Many retail real estate executives are optimistic that redevelopment of the site will spark a renewal on State Street, which they say is short on retail and ripe for redevelopment.

"Mills had too many other issues with the company to really focus on the development," said Sharon Kahan, a Chicago retail specialist with brokerage CB Richard Ellis. "Freed is homegrown and understands Chicago and what we need."

Still, some skepticism surrounds the project. Ross Glickman, chief executive officer of Urban Retail Properties, who was a previous owner of the Block 37 site with JMB Realty, questions how the development will be executed.

"You have two different developers with very different philosophies," said Glickman. "As good as both of those firms are, you have to have a true spirit of cooperation, and I hope the city is helping facilitate that. You only get one bite at the apple."

Mills gained control of the site in 2002 after a long bidding process. After the real estate investment trust landed in hot water with the Securities and Exchange Commission, it started selling interest in many of its key developments, including 108 North State Street and the Meadowlands Xanadu in New Jersey. Since it was recently bought by Simon Property Group, which closed on its $7.9 billion acquisition of the beleaguered company in early April, it no longer exists as an independent entity. The ghost of Mills, though, remains on its projects.

In March, Golub sued the company, alleging that Mills misrepresented the development to Morningstar, one of its anchor office tenants, causing Morningstar to break its lease with Golub (see sidebar). CBS, the other anchor tenant, still plans to move in. Simon, which is now responsible for the lawsuit, did not respond to a request for comment.

Though there are currently no legal disputes regarding the retail portion of the development, Joseph Freed must merchandise and brand the center using Mills' original ideas and is only able to put its stamp on the project by tweaking the merchandising plans.

"We essentially inherited the layout and the floor plans," said Paul Fitzpatrick, managing director of Joseph Freed. "Every bit of the construction has already been approved, so right now we're just working with the interior finish."

There are multiple bilevel spaces at the site, which the company touts as ideal flagship opportunities for retailers. Fitzpatrick hopes to pack 108 North State Street with affordable, upscale fashion retailers such as Theory, Ted Baker, Kate Spade, Coach, Puma and Zara, as well as strong brands such as Apple. The plans also have space for smaller specialty stores.

Working within Mills' plans hasn't been a detriment, said Freed executives. "From our perspective, it's fairly easy," said Fitzpatrick. "Because one of our executives came from Mills, we had institutional knowledge of Mills and the site. The transition into the project hasn't been too difficult."

The larger challenge has been changing the perception of State Street as a whole, both for retailers and shoppers.

Joseph Freed also controls the other major redevelopment just two blocks away, at 1 South State Street, a former Carson Pirie Scott department store it is rebranding as the Sullivan Center. The store, vacated in early March by the retailer, will offer nearly 200,000 square feet of retail on three levels in the historic site and is expected to be open in the spring of 2008. A Gourmet Garage or other upscale grocer with prepared foods would be ideal for the Carson space, as would a Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table, said senior vice president of leasing Tom Walsh.

"This is really a matter of evaluating and changing how the shopper in Chicago organizes her shopping patterns," said Stanley Nitzberg, principal at Mid-America Real Estate, a full-service retail real estate services firm. "It's incumbent upon Freed to not just do the deals that are available, but to bring in the retailers that State Street needs."

Elsewhere on State Street, other developers and economic development officials are tackling the street to capture the momentum catalyzed by Freed and 108 North State. Thor Equities out of New York, for example, recently acquired the historic Palmer House, just south of Sullivan Center, from the Hilton group, and has booted the inexpensive retailers from its first floor and is rehabbing the building to insert more relevant fashion. The Chicago Loop Alliance will launch Looptopia, an all-night musical and entertainment festival modeled after city festivals in Europe, in May to draw more attention to the growing masses of residents, students and entertainment in downtown's core.

"State already has momentum," said Michael Shields, principal at retail brokerage firm Northern Realty Group. "The challenge is recrafting the image of State Street away from dollar stores and big boxes to create an identity that's more consistent with downtown Chicago as a whole. Block 37 could change everything overnight."

"Everybody wants Block 37 to work," said Glickman. "It's the last part of the puzzle to complete."

spyguy
Apr 17, 2007, 2:02 AM
Joseph Freed and Associates LLC Buys Block 37 Development
by Jayne Thompson
April 17, 2007

Chicago mixed use developer Joseph Freed and Associates LLC (JFA) has bought The Mills Corporation's ownership and development interests in the 108 North State Street project. This transaction was announced late last year and has now closed. Terms were not disclosed.

"We are very excited to be the master developer for this historic project in our hometown. We look forward to completing the work that The Mills began and developed to this point," Larry Freed, President of Joseph Freed and Associates LLC said.

JFA is an accomplished retail, residential and mixed-use developer that owns and operates 27 retail properties in the Chicago metropolitan area alone, including The Sullivan Center at 1 South State Street, the 1,000,000 square foot former Carson Pirie Scott & Co. building.

Paul Fitzpatrick, JFA's official leading the development of both 108 North State Street and The Sullivan Center, believes the two projects complement one another.

"Chicago is a great place for retailers and State Street is Chicago. Due to their location, design and flexibility in accommodating the tenant needs, these projects will attract local, national and international retailers who want the best Chicago has to offer. The proximity of the projects to each other and the ability of retailers to deal with a single developer is especially appealing," Fitzpatrick said.

Construction continues on the site, often with as many as eight cranes working simultaneously on the project's components.

The CTA superstation is being built 60 feet below ground. It will connect the CTA's Red and Blue lines, linking O'Hare, Midway and downtown on one line.

108 North State Street's retail portion is under construction on the southeast corner of the site, at Washington and State Streets. JFA will complete its construction, then lease and manage the facility.

Golub & Company is building the 16-story new home of Morningstar, Inc. and CBS 2 Chicago on the site's southwest corner, at Dearborn and Washington Streets. With construction underway, its core is nearing 16 stories, with steel in place as high as 10 stories.

Residential towers on the Randolph Street side of the site are planned for construction after completion of the first three elements.

spyguy
Apr 17, 2007, 2:03 AM
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/380/sitemapes1.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6156/108nstate1ap5.jpg
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/8198/108nstate2wj7.jpg
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/884/108nstate3kc3.jpg
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2012/108nstate5so7.jpg
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/273/108nstate6mz7.jpg

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2955/108nstate4hw6.jpg

honte
Apr 17, 2007, 2:16 AM
Thanks for all the info, Spyguy.

I hate to sound negative in this thread all the time, but this looks really boring. And that last render? I think the interior of the Rock 'n' Roll McDonalds looks nicer.

It does not look like a project 30-years in the making. Nor does it look like the kind of grand gesture that could have been made with an entire empty block in the Loop. I am beyond disappointed.

Chicago Shawn
Apr 17, 2007, 3:01 AM

What the fuck? Is that all space allocated for the "Grand Atrium"? I see some more value engineering went on with the podium to squeeze in more retail space. What a blown opportunity this project has been. This is what we get for bringing in a bullshit suburban mall developer.

nicopico
Apr 17, 2007, 3:13 AM
It does not look like a project 30-years in the making. Nor does it look like the kind of grand gesture that could have been made with an entire empty block in the Loop. I am beyond disappointed.

I agree wholeheartedly. Where is the vision? Where is the inspiration? Where's the height?

If I'm not mistaken, the block contained a mid-to-upscale hodge-podge of shops and retail when it was razed no? Isn't that just what we're replacing it with? Decades and the result mirrors the original.

spyguy
Apr 17, 2007, 3:14 AM

I agree. I think most of the blame falls squarely on Mills. It seems like Freed has very little opportunity to change the retail plans significantly, although only they will be to blame if the cafe looks like that 80's junk.

The exterior of the retail podium still bothers me. Is there a reason why they couldn't make it entirely (or mostly) with glass, instead of lots of concrete and flourishes like the ribbons?

Anyway, the only hope I see now for this project is if the station looks great, the retail is good and complements Carson's/State St., and they redesign the other towers.

Busy Bee
Apr 17, 2007, 3:20 AM
What the fuck? That's it for the "Grand Atrium"? I see some more value engineering went on with the podium. What a blown opportunity this was. This is what we get for bringing in a bullshit suburban mall developer.

I agree. They should just build the freakin CBS building and finish the CTA station and just start over with he rest. Rethink, redesign and rebid the whole goddamn thing. I'd rather wait another year and get something fantastic than get this shopping mall, Bethesda, Maryland food court on steroids. A few posts back said it all: Boring. We deserved much much better. Like a... ehmm, Helmut Jahn superproject, ehhmm, sound familiar???

I honestly got so fed up with B37 that I stopped checking this thread a while back, only occasionally reading the latest, but is there anything left of Ralph Johnson's design? It doesn't look like it, the facade at this point seems totally disjointed and drab. Where is the color, the bravado, the architectural greatness that the center of the Loop and one of the countries' greatest shopping thoroughfares warrants???

honte
Apr 17, 2007, 3:29 AM

Is that all the space allocated for the "Grand Atrium"?

:haha: It's not even big enough to fit the Cad "tree" block!

I agree. I think most of the blame falls squarely on Mills.

Yes, probably, but you have to factor the City into this debacle too. I think they had many, many opportunities to get this right, and they repeatedly botched the job, throwing in our TIF and tax dollars while they were at it. If they can pull off Millennium Park, why not something visionary here? Sure, MP is a kind of hodge-podge carnival of stuff, but at least it's got some kind of special character.

bnk
Apr 17, 2007, 3:36 AM
Thanks for the other renders spyguy.:)

But WTF would even set foot in this mall cafeteria.

:yuck:

This ranks as one of the worst and most ill advised render that I have ever seen for in the city limits.
Send them interns, or who ever thought of this render and be gone with them.

[

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2955/108nstate4hw6.jpg

SamInTheLoop
Apr 17, 2007, 3:38 AM
It looks like Freed might be going with the single tower concept (spanning the entire North side of block along Randolph) for the residential or residential/hotel components. I assume they wouldn't have flexibility to change at this point?? Looking at the first floor plan, the elevator configuration definitely looks like they're going with the single tower...

Chicago2020
Apr 17, 2007, 5:28 AM
I could be A LOT WORSE than this. It looks alright but I doubt this will be Chicago's new attraction site.

Alliance
Apr 17, 2007, 5:33 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. Where is the vision? Where is the inspiration? Where's the height?

Yes. I also am unmoved.

Via Chicago
Apr 17, 2007, 5:36 AM
It looks alright but I doubt this will be Chicago's new attraction site.

but thats the thing. it could have been.

i remember reading something about the outside walls being entirely covered in LEDs, and that they would constantly change and make some sort of light art display. im assuming thats long gone?

GregBear24
Apr 17, 2007, 2:06 PM
where the hell is daley on this one?

Steely Dan
Apr 17, 2007, 2:20 PM
what a waste.

but unlike most people in this thread, i saw this coming years ago, and have long since stopped caring about block 37.

trvlr70
Apr 17, 2007, 2:25 PM
The retail portion is about as sexy as an airport mall.

museumparktom
Apr 17, 2007, 2:56 PM

MMMMM another food court. What a complete waist of prime city land. :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

I officially hate it! No wonder there hasn't been much info on this.

trvlr70
Apr 17, 2007, 3:05 PM
The city could have at least insisted on something comparable to NYC's Time Warner Center.

budman
Apr 17, 2007, 5:23 PM
Truly depressing. Do we know how recent these renderings are? I dont want to believe that this is the realistic end result. :yuck:

Chicago3rd
Apr 17, 2007, 5:35 PM
Joseph Freed and Associates LLC Buys Block 37 Development
by Jayne Thompson
April 17, 2007

The CTA superstation is being built 60 feet below ground. It will connect the CTA's Red and Blue lines, linking O'Hare, Midway and downtown on one line.

I am confused...how does linking the Blue and Red line include Midway? Are they going to run the Orange line through the subway on the Red Lines tracks? I must have missed this.

Alliance
Apr 17, 2007, 5:42 PM

:haha: I actually did think of some of the new stuff at Ohare when I thought of this.

Honestly, its easy to change inside decor...not same with the outside.

These wave metallic panels? Interesting concept, but really, this is not the architectural advancement this site needed.

This is PRIME real estate...and has now become a disappointment. I don't even see one LED, even something as odd and out of place as the curvy thing over by ABC studios.