PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Downtown Los Angeles - South Group; Elleven, Luma, Evo and Future Projects

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

citywatch
Dec 1, 2005, 1:00 AM
I think towersla is the pioneer on this board. IOW, he or she lived in DT before anyone else at SSP did.

towersla
Dec 1, 2005, 8:10 AM
he or she lived in DT

I'm a he, not that there's anything wrong with being a she. :laugh:

citywatch
Dec 1, 2005, 6:05 PM
^ Come on by more often here! I'm always interested in reading the personal experiences & opinions that ppl have of DT, esp if they live in the hood.

colemonkee
Dec 5, 2005, 3:26 AM
Picture update in the Downtown LA Rundown thread...

Milton
Dec 5, 2005, 8:42 AM
I'm a he, not that there's anything wrong with being a she. :laugh:

doh!

katfam
Dec 7, 2005, 8:02 PM
Parking and Storage ready for the taking

"Hello Elleven buyer,

We now have all of the parking and storage plans finalized for Elleven and are getting ready to assign parking spots and sell additional storage. We have a limited number of storage spaces available that are attached to single parking spaces and wanted to give you first shot at purchasing a storage unit. The average price for these storage units is $25,000 and if you purchase one you can pick your parking spot location. You can add this directly on to your purchase price and do not need to pay anything upfront. Let me know if you are interested in this and we can set up a time for you to look at the plans."

katfam
Dec 7, 2005, 11:54 PM
Talked to South and they said that they also have, for $32,000, a tanduem parking spot with storage located in same space. You get to choose location. They said that they haven't released storage space without parking and that will be coming very shortly but should range from $10,000 - $30,000 for just the storage space.

colemonkee
Dec 8, 2005, 12:10 AM
That sounds like a lot of money for a storage unit. I pay $40 a month to rent mine. If you can get a space like mine for $10,000, it'll pay for itself in almost 21 years!

katfam
Dec 8, 2005, 12:22 AM
Colemonkee how big is your storage unit? It does sound like a lot, but it comes out to about $350 a square foot which I guess isn't that bad considering it adds on to your total square footage, its owned and isn't off site.

LAMetroGuy
Dec 8, 2005, 12:30 AM
I bought a condo in Downtown Long Beach and my storage unit cost me $7,500 and it is (7.5' wide x 10' deep x 11' high).

colemonkee
Dec 8, 2005, 2:57 AM
katfam, mine is about 4ft wide x 7ft deep x 11ft high. More than enough for storing boxes, old files, dead bodies, etc. When you talk about $350/sq. ft., what does a garage go for in, say the valley? If it's comparible, then it's definitely worth it.

LAMetro, that sounds more in line with what I was thinking they would go for. However, in this day and age, you never know.

edkao
Dec 9, 2005, 9:43 AM
Here are the parking plans at Elleven.

Level 1

http://homepage.mac.com/edkao/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-12-09%2001.15.01%20-0800/Image-159347C8689411DA.jpg

Level 2

http://homepage.mac.com/edkao/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-12-09%2001.15.01%20-0800/Image-15932CD4689411DA.jpg

Level 3

http://homepage.mac.com/edkao/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-12-09%2001.15.01%20-0800/Image-15930A06689411DA.jpg

Parking spaces ends with S is Standard size. Parking spaces ends with C is Compact.

Orange spaces are spaces with storage units.

Green is stand alone storage units.

Personally I have decided against the storage units.

Ed

Luma07
Dec 9, 2005, 2:23 PM
Here are the parking plans at Elleven.

Parking spaces ends with S is Standard size. Parking spaces ends with C is Compact.

Orange spaces are spaces with storage units.

Green is stand alone storage units.

Personally I have decided against the storage units.

Ed

Am I reading those plans correctly? Do they say parking for Elleven AND Luma? We're ALL supposed to park on those three levels? Or are they thinking that whatever spaces are left over are going to be offered to Luma people?

:???:
L07

colemonkee
Dec 9, 2005, 5:09 PM
^ Those look like just the Elleven plans (Grand Ave side along the bottom, 11th Street side on the right). The Luma plans are probably on other pages of the same blueprint documents, hence the title.

Luma07
Dec 9, 2005, 5:42 PM
^ Those look like just the Elleven plans (Grand Ave side along the bottom, 11th Street side on the right). The Luma plans are probably on other pages of the same blueprint documents, hence the title.

If you look at the plans, on the right hand side it says: Elleven South and Luma---and that made me nervous. That whole parking situation makes me nervous!!

But I hope you're right colemonkee....

L07

colemonkee
Dec 9, 2005, 8:38 PM
I'm pretty sure those plans are just for Elleven. See the lobby entrance in the model pic below (to the lower left)? That's illustrated in the bottom middle of the Level One parking plan posted above.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7600/southmodelovr11xm.jpg

Now look at the garage entrance in this model shot. This is illustrated at the top right of the Level One parking plan posted above. That's the parking entrance for Elleven only. Luma will be above that, and will have a like-sized footprint for it's own parking levels.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1893/southmodelpool5bu.jpg

I'm positive you're seeing three out of 60 or more pages for Elleven and Luma plans.

Luma07
Dec 10, 2005, 12:18 AM
I'm positive you're seeing three out of 60 or more pages for Elleven and Luma plans.

Thanks for the pics and explanation colemonkee....makes much more sense to me this way.

L07

edkao
Dec 10, 2005, 4:07 AM
I noticed the blueprint title as well. Since the buildings will be connected later, there might be some interconnect between Elleven and Luma that's on the blueprint. For earthquake safety etc.

Also, I found out there is a basement parking level as well. So a total of 4 levels of parking for Elleven.

The storage/parking combo starts at $19,000 and goes up to $25,000, based on SQ footage of the storage unit. First floor units are all sold. Some left on basement level, couple left on second level, a few more on 3rd.

Most of them are about 54 SQFT for $23,500 ish.

Ed

edkao
Dec 10, 2005, 4:14 AM
Now look at the garage entrance in this model shot. This is illustrated at the top right of the Level One parking plan posted above. That's the parking entrance for Elleven only. Luma will be above that, and will have a like-sized footprint for it's own parking levels.

Colemonkee, do you have photos of the other side of the model? Around Luma?

Just wondering where is the entrance and exit for Luma's parking...

Ed

edkao
Dec 10, 2005, 4:23 AM
I was in downtown LA today (October 11) and snapped these great pics of Elleven, Luma and Evo, enjoy:

Elleven in the back and Luma rising in the front:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/rpulido/October%2011%202005%20Los%20Angeles/DSC04006Medium.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/rpulido/October%2011%202005%20Los%20Angeles/DSC04007Medium.jpg

Actually I think I just found my own answers.

The blueprints ARE for Elleven and Luma. I think the entrance and exit on the blueprints are shared for both buildings.

Look at LAMetroGuy's photos above. Why else would there be openings on the back side of Elleven, near the 11st side and Evo side, openings to connect Elleven's parking levels with Luma's parking levels.

Ed

katfam
Dec 10, 2005, 5:06 AM
Elleven and Luma's entrance/exits are shared and the same. They are already built and are part of Elleven's construction. Luma will have 4 levels of parking just like Elleven does. One basement and 3 above ground and they are connected to Elleven's parking on from the ground floor.

kdk
Dec 12, 2005, 2:35 AM
When I went in to buy the upgraded parking, I also had been informed of the "modified" sq. ft of the place, which was because there were 2 different ways of measuring sq. ft. Did anyone else get this, and if so, what''s up with that, and is this common practice?

katfam
Dec 13, 2005, 12:46 AM
I noticed the same thing kdk. Found it interesting that they tell us now, but I always knew that that square footage they quote you on is from center of the inside of a wall to the other. I was shocked the square footage loss wasn't as large as I thought (only lost about 50 sqf of 1602)

Did you get storage space kdk?

Also would like to welcome you to the neighborhood :) I will be a Elleven Resident as well, so its a pleasure to meet you!

kdk
Dec 13, 2005, 5:36 AM
NO, I didn't get storage space. But I did upgrade to side by side parking for $15000. I wanted to be on the first floor garage and there were no storage left on that floor.

So since you knew that the sq footage if center to center, I'm assuming that this is a common practice among builders? Since this is my first purchase, I wasn't sure.

Thanks for welcoming me!

colemonkee
Dec 29, 2005, 10:05 PM
Here's an update from the South Group that came via email.

South Construction Report - Week of 12/26

Elleven
The structural concrete work has been completed and the exterior skin of pre-cast concrete and glasss has begun to reach the top of the building, enclosing all 13 stories.

Inside, the wood floors, cabenetry and tile work are well under way. Close behind will be the doors, appliances and lighting. The detailed lobby finishes are scheduled for installation starting in mid-January, along with the elevators.

Finally, as our construction crew puts it, "Let there be lights!" Permanent power will be up and running mid-January.
-------------------------------------

Luma
Foundation work is nearly completed on Luma, and the first of many concrete decks have begun to be poured, and tons of steel reinforcement bars are rising. These will eventually form the floor of each level as the building is constructed (duh!).

If you're in the area, you'll be sure to see the tower crane working non-stop as the rest of the work on Luma begins to pick up.
-------------------------------------

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/7448/evosmall9hn.jpg

Evo
The construction team has been prepping the site for construction and staging the area for excavation.

The construction technique to be used in building Evo will be a process called "Up/Down" construction, which employs vertical construction in conjunction with the foundation work. This method saves an exceptional amount of time, allowing the building to complete about 4 to 6 months earlier than conventional "bottom-up" construction.

All of this is set to begin in the coming weeks, when we will see all three of the South residences under construction at once. Have a look while you can; they're going up quickly.

BrighamYen
Dec 29, 2005, 10:22 PM
Hmm, I wonder how Up/Down works...

colemonkee
Dec 29, 2005, 11:21 PM
^ I'm assuming that they just hire a bunch of bipolar construction workers. Construction screeches to a melancholingly slow state during their depression periods, but their breakneck speed during manic periods more than makes up for this, reducing overall construction times of the foundation by 4-6 months. It makes perfect sense, but I have been wrong before... ;)

LAMetroGuy
Dec 29, 2005, 11:58 PM
Up-Down construction combines the advantage of underground space with simultaneous construction of the project's substructure and superstructure, which is especially important in congested urban environments. It evolved from the Milan method for subway construction. Up-Down construction is innovative because it requires no radical changes in construction techniques but rather a creative sequencing of techniques that have already been proven. This method provides a secure, low-risk excavation support system that becomes attractive for deeper excavations to shorten construction schedules to reduce costs.

BrighamYen
Dec 30, 2005, 1:14 AM
^ So why isn't this technique used by ALL developers!!! If it means speeding things up, they should all DO IT!

LAMetroGuy
Dec 30, 2005, 1:16 AM
Sometimes the obvious is not so.... well.... obvious?

citywatch
Dec 30, 2005, 2:21 AM
I sure wish the devlprs would reactivate Elleven's web cam. It's been on the blink (although I haven't checked the original site in quite awhile now) ever since before the first bldg was finally topped out.

edkao
Jan 1, 2006, 2:37 AM
www.evo-south.com

Just a Flash intro and interest form. No building floor plans.

Ed

http://homepage.mac.com/edkao/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-12-31%2018.39.46%20-0800/Image-D5C9ECA77A6F11DA.jpg

katfam
Jan 12, 2006, 2:20 AM
Happy New Year!!!! This year is the year to all those ELLEVEN residents! I can't believe its finally here. With less than 12 weeks to opening day (set for April 1st) lets hope everyone is ready for a party of parties, lol.

I got some great pictures and hope to get them up soon of the visit I took yesterday. They have taken down the exterior elevator shaft at Elleven and main power should be up and running very soon.

Luma is already started work on the 2nd floor and its just amazing to see that building take shape and how both Elleven and Luma will work together.

On a personal side I got a great parking and storage space. They allowed you to pick out your parking space if you bought a storage unit. I got a storage unit on the 3rd floor (so its closer to my unit) and nabbed a tandum parking space on the first floor right next the the elevators. It was only $15,000 for the 80 square foot storage unit which was worth the price to get parking on first floor instead of the basement.

BrighamYen
Jan 12, 2006, 2:31 AM
Congrats!!!

Easy
Jan 12, 2006, 3:26 AM
With less than 12 weeks to opening day (set for April 1st)...

Did you see POLA's pictures in the rundown thread? No way Elleven will be open that soon. There aren't even outside windows/walls on the top three floors.

edkao
Jan 12, 2006, 4:59 AM
With less than 12 weeks to opening day (set for April 1st)...

Did you see POLA's pictures in the rundown thread? No way Elleven will be open that soon. There aren't even outside windows/walls on the top three floors.

Elleven will open in phases. As the bottom floors arer finished, people will begin to move in to those floors. I believe floors 4-7 will be finished by April 1st.

My moving target date is June 1st for the 9th floor. Can't wait!

Ed

LAMetroGuy
Jan 12, 2006, 8:03 AM
Elleven will open in phases. As the bottom floors arer finished, people will begin to move in to those floors. I believe floors 4-7 will be finished by April 1st.

My moving target date is June 1st for the 9th floor. Can't wait!

Ed

That's hard to believe... the building needs to get a certificate of occupancy prior to ANYONE moving in. That means that they have to finish all the floors. I doubt they will move people into the first floors while the upper floors are being built... all the floors have common easements, which means they all have to be done.

If they do, I will be shocked... expect at least a 3 to 6 month daly for sure.

Luma07
Jan 12, 2006, 6:06 PM
On a personal side I got a great parking and storage space. They allowed you to pick out your parking space if you bought a storage unit. I got a storage unit on the 3rd floor (so its closer to my unit) and nabbed a tandum parking space on the first floor right next the the elevators. It was only $15,000 for the 80 square foot storage unit which was worth the price to get parking on first floor instead of the basement.

Happy New Year everyone!

Katfam...so you paid $15,000 total for parking and storage space??

L07

colemonkee
Jan 12, 2006, 6:10 PM
I believe floors 4-7 will be finished by April 1st.

I've fallen for that one too many times before. ;)

katfam
Jan 12, 2006, 8:33 PM
Hey L07,

I actually paid $14,500 for my storage unit. With that I also got to pick my parking space. That was the deal breaker for me. I wanted to original buy storage and parking together but costs to much so this deal isn't bad at all. Most of the 2 bedroom parking spaces are in the basement level and I didn't want to have to park there. There are only 2 tandum spaces on the first floor and I got to get one of them which makes getting in and out so much easier.

Have you been by South lately? Luma is looking great!
:cheers:

katfam
Jan 12, 2006, 8:41 PM
I talked to South and they said they are still right on schedual for a April 1st move in. They said that they have never been so on schedual before with any other project. If you go down there you'll notice that interiors are already being put in on the upper half of Elleven and the windows are all in except the top 2 floors. Flooring, kitchens, bathrooms are all being finished in bottom half. The elevators are in and power and water is being turned on anytime now.

I think they will finish on time, definetly not 3-6 months delay. They are working on weekends and now that the windows are in no rain can slow them down.

Not sure if I mentioned this but they have confirmed that STARBUCKS will be a tenant of Elleven.

LAMetroGuy
Jan 12, 2006, 8:52 PM
I hope that you guys will get to move in on the day they tell you, however it is dependent upon the COO (cert of occupancy). There are inspectors who review the construction and ensure that it is built to code... anything they don't like ... the developer must correct.

Plus, once the construction is complete, the developer is required to hire a detailing company that gets the units in "move in condition"... then you have do you your walk thru and any issues must be corrected. It isn't as easy as the sales office is making it sound.

logandankr
Jan 12, 2006, 11:10 PM
Will someone explain the whole parking thing to me??

Is it worth $15k for 80 sq ft and your pick of spots?
How does the normal spot selection work for those who don't buy additional spots or storage?
Is it a big deal parking in the basement versus higher up, or is it just a matter of being close to the elevator?
Is there a priority list for the storage/extra spots, or is it based on unit size?

Drove by the other day and South is looking really good - Elleven looks stunning, lots of people walking around on the street, line out the door of Roy's...

You Elleven peeps are going to have to help us Luma people out :).

Luma07
Jan 12, 2006, 11:38 PM
You Elleven peeps are going to have to help us Luma people out :).

Thanks to elleven people like katfam, luma people are in the know! Thanks for sharing guys and keep the 411 coming!

L07
:)

Easy
Jan 13, 2006, 2:51 AM
Not sure if I mentioned this but they have confirmed that STARBUCKS will be a tenant of Elleven.

Congrats to ThreeHundred. He predicted that months ago.

franman23
Jan 13, 2006, 4:51 AM
That is great news about Starbucks. I'm looking forward to walking downstairs for coffee in the morning after a late night out at the Gopher, Broadway Bar, Standard, LA Live, etc... South Park is going to be such a great place to live. I'm on the eighth floor in Elleven. I'm hoping to move in the beginning of May from what I have been told. I'm so glad the South Group has their act together. Hopefully Luma and Evo construction will go as smoothly as Elleven.

BrandonJXN
Jan 13, 2006, 7:31 AM

Congrats to ThreeHundred. He predicted that months ago.

Ms. Cleo is my mother.

:yes:

RAlossi
Jan 13, 2006, 2:28 PM
^ I'm remembering countless wasted hours with the "Celebrity Sound Board"....

"Whachu wan' be askin' me, darlin'?"

danparker276
Jan 13, 2006, 6:05 PM
A starbucks? I'm sure they'll put one below Luma and Evo too.

Look at Fig. There's one on 6th, 7th, and 4th. There's not one on 5th and fig, cus there's 3 more down 5th street a block away.

katfam
Jan 13, 2006, 7:44 PM
Will someone explain the whole parking thing to me??

Is it worth $15k for 80 sq ft and your pick of spots?
How does the normal spot selection work for those who don't buy additional spots or storage?
Is it a big deal parking in the basement versus higher up, or is it just a matter of being close to the elevator?
Is there a priority list for the storage/extra spots, or is it based on unit size?

Well I think its worth an extra 15,000 for a storage unit and pick of spots. They work that cost into your housing costs so its not that much more a month. Also I have so much random stuff that I liked the idea of not having to have it in my place (i.e. boxes and boxes of Chirstmas stuff), but rather not drive anyplace to get it. The square feet also gets worked into your total sq of the unit.

Normal spot selection is done by South Group so nobody will have a say, which I didn't like so much as I'd prefer to be on the first level so I can roll in and out easily.

Not sure about any priority lits for storage, etc.

logandankr
Jan 13, 2006, 8:24 PM
Well I think its worth an extra 15,000 for a storage unit and pick of spots. They work that cost into your housing costs so its not that much more a month. Also I have so much random stuff that I liked the idea of not having to have it in my place (i.e. boxes and boxes of Chirstmas stuff), but rather not drive anyplace to get it. The square feet also gets worked into your total sq of the unit.

Normal spot selection is done by South Group so nobody will have a say, which I didn't like so much as I'd prefer to be on the first level so I can roll in and out easily.

Not sure about any priority lits for storage, etc.

Gotcha - appreciate the help.

Has anyone heard of a timeline for the btm flr retail in Elleven? You think that Starbucks will be moving in along with you guys in Apr/May or is that further down the line?

katfam
Jan 17, 2006, 4:52 AM
Elleven is really starting to take shape as the final stages of construction commence. The TPO roofing is being installed on top of the PT slab roof. Floors 12 and 13 are in MEP rough in stages while floors 4 - 11 are in various stages of receiving finishes. Landscape planting is set to begin shortly at the fourth floor terrace, which will bring vibrant color to a centrally located public space between Phase 1 and Phase 2.

Great website from the builders!
http://www.howardswright.com/projects/current_projects/elleven.html

colemonkee
Jan 17, 2006, 7:34 PM
Here's their latest construction image. Those corner windows are pretty damn sweet, and the finish so far on this building is very nice, especially the reflectivity of the glass. This is going to make one really nice set of buildings when it's all done.

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/7552/imgbelleven12051ob.jpg

franman23
Jan 18, 2006, 2:16 AM
Parking plans were finalized and tenants were invited to pick their parking spaces on a first come first serve basis. People who purchased additional or upgraded parking and storage units had priority as mentioned earlier in the thread. The first floor has been pretty much fully reserved. I have a 2 BR unit which gets one tandem space with two spots, so I was left to choose from the basement or the third floor. I chose a basement spot near the elevators. There is still storage available for those who want to purchase it.

The sales guy confirmed Starbucks and the April 1 targeted move-in date. They said that walk-throughs would probably start sometime in March. I had to sign an addendum to the purchase contract which reflected revised sf (1538 sf to 1469 sf) and acknowledgement that the 4th floor common area was not going to be available until Luma construction was completed or until it was deemed safe to open since the 4th level amenities are going to be shared between Elleven and Luma. FYI, they said that for resale purposes, you could still list the unit at the higher number which is BOMA.

I drove by the building while I was down there. It looks great. For those tenants who haven't reserved parking, I would try to get in there asap to reserve your space.

katfam
Jan 19, 2006, 10:15 PM
I went down to the sales center today and spoke to them about Elleven Move-In's.

They still plan on starting move in's on April 1st. They are going to be moving people in blocks with the 5th and 6th floors moving in FIRST. They said to expect a move in date by April 15th with escrow closing starting first week of April. Everyone who closes escrow will get there keys they just won't be able to fully move in till their block comes up. They said they can move small things in and bring in painters, hang curtains, etc until their respective move in time.

They are also preparing to start up the Homeowners Association as it must be finalized before move-in's start.

The lower halls ways are being finished with the last coats of paint and the units are being finished as well and they are working on getting their power supple off the generator and over to DWP

citywatch
Jan 19, 2006, 11:06 PM
I just realize I've never seen this artist's sketch of the 3rd tower of the South Group proj, posted at their web site.

The Elleven tower, because it's only 13 stories tall (with each floor having the height of a condo, apt or hotel bldg instead of a normally taller office one), doesn't have as much visibility in the hood, while Luma, at 17 stories, should stand out a bit more. But Evo, at 21 floors, should finally make the former 32 story Trans Am bldg look less lonely, 40 yrs after first rising in southern DT.

http://www.exploresouthgroup.com/images/evo_ne_view.jpg

LosAngelesSportsFan
Jan 20, 2006, 12:43 AM
23 stories, right?

LAMetroGuy
Jan 20, 2006, 12:47 AM
I thought it was 24...

Luma07
Jan 20, 2006, 12:54 AM
They are also preparing to start up the Homeowners Association as it must be finalized before move-in's start.

katfam...
Have they given you any figures on HOA dues? and what those dues will cover?

L07

colemonkee
Jan 20, 2006, 2:18 AM
Evo is 23 stories. Luma is 19.

citywatch
Jan 20, 2006, 9:19 PM
^ Actually, based on the drawing, I should have said that Evo will be 22 stories. I think the discrepancy is because many ppl are superstitious about the number 13, & most bldgs, instead of having a thirteenth floor, jump from floor 12 to floor 14, or add an imaginary floor, esp as designated in most elevators.

katfam
Jan 21, 2006, 2:04 AM
katfam...
Have they given you any figures on HOA dues? and what those dues will cover?

L07

For Elleven HOA range from $400 to $700. Luma is expected to be more from what I've heard at the sales center. Around $700 to $1000. Not sure on Evo.

danparker276
Jan 21, 2006, 3:24 AM
Why is Luma more? I would think it would be less since there are more floors and more units. Is that building harder to clean or something?

katfam
Jan 21, 2006, 3:45 AM
Why is Luma more? I would think it would be less since there are more floors and more units. Is that building harder to clean or something?

I believe it goes in conjunction with the sale prices of the building.

colemonkee
Jan 21, 2006, 4:31 AM
Not necessarily. An HOA is an association that technically owns the building and the land underneath it once the association has been formed. It's legally run like a corporation with elected officers, etc.

The HOA is typically responsible for water, trash, common area electricity and maintenance, and the general wants and needs of the building inhabitants (yearly parties, patio furniture, etc. etc.). These costs should be go up somewhat proportionately per the number of units, meaning if you increase the number of units in a building by 30%, those costs should go up by roughly 30-35%, depending on the size of the public areas, the luxury status of the building, the exterior lighting scheme, etc. That extra 5%, if it exists, is then distributed evenly among the units, weighted according to your unit square footage and price.

Elevator maintenance costs may be another factor in a disproportionate increase in HOA dues. Elevators require some kind of maintenance literally every 30-60 days, even with brand new elevators, and I'm assuming that maintenance is not cheap. Taller buildings usually have more elevators, which increases the amount of potential maintenance and the amount of money the HOA needs to keep in it's accounts on a regular basis. That's a supposition based on experience, but not empirical evidence. However, I don't think that causes a major increase in dues.

The REAL tipping points are insurance and property taxes. As a condo owner, you will own only what's inside your walls, as defined by the legal description of your condo. The HOA is responsible for EVERYTHING else. When you get homeowners insurance, you're insuring your possessions, your appliances and cabinets, the one side of sheet rock you can see, and maybe some plumbing on interior walls, but NOTHING structural (example, my homeowner's insurance on a $400K condo is less than $450 a YEAR).

The building, the property, and the land underneath are insured by the HOA. Meaning they are responsible for insuring the structure in the case of fire, earthquake, etc. Since the cost of building literally goes up exponentially the higher you go, it makes sense that the insurance to cover that building would go up disproportionate to the number of units (and even floors).

The HOA is also responsible for liability insurance for the entire property. My guess is that the higher the number of units, the higher the number of people, the higher the probability of injury, lawsuits, etc. I have to guess that that insurance pricing is also disproportionate to the number of units or floors.

Finally, the HOA has to pay property taxes on the land and the building. If the structure is higher, that may mean more property taxes. This is purely speculation.

Since the HOA's funds come entirely from HOA dues, all of these costs are passed on and divided amongst the homeowners, proportionate to square footage and property value (meaning the penthouse owner pays at the top of the scale and the single guy with the studio on the second floor pays at the low end).

That's just a logical but unverified explanation as to why Luma's HOA dues would be higher than Elleven's, even with the higher number of units. Now, I don't think they'll be twice as much, my guess is they'll be about 30% higher.

danparker276
Jan 21, 2006, 5:25 AM
There are a lot more people to split the cost, so the homeowners could go down. I would think the taller the buiding, the more cost efficient. There's no way evo is gonna be 1000-1500 home owners. I would think that all 3 buildings would share the homeowners, since they share a lot of common ground.

I know for 1100, home owners is measured by the sq feet of the unit. It ranges from 500-750 or 800

colemonkee
Jan 23, 2006, 5:17 AM
Here's some shots taken from one of the penthouses at Grand Ave. Lofts earlier today...

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2568/elleven1200601226xr.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7435/elleven2200601228dc.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7461/elleven3200601228db.jpg

logandankr
Jan 23, 2006, 5:10 PM
For Elleven HOA range from $400 to $700. Luma is expected to be more from what I've heard at the sales center. Around $700 to $1000. Not sure on Evo.

Although I haven't checked in on it recently, at the Luma sales event they said HOA would range from $450-$800 - but of course not set in stone. They did say to expect HOA to be in line with Elleven.

citywatch
Jan 23, 2006, 8:15 PM
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7435/elleven2200601228dc.jpg

I notice they still haven't cleared out the entire block (http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=34.040989~-118.263461&style=o&lvl=2&scene=3610026), or the little brick bldg (which I can see peeking out from behind the glass wall of Elleven) & the two other warehouse structures south of it, shown to the left in your photo. I'm assuming----or hoping----that junk will get plowed down in the next few months, or at least well before the 3rd tower is nearing completion.

colemonkee
Jan 23, 2006, 11:44 PM
^ Those two warehouse structures aren't part of the plan, they're owned by a different owner and as far as I know nothing is planned for them at the time. The brick building should come down, as I believe that is the site of the planned pocket park for the South development.

I'm guessing that as this neighborhood starts to open, the owner of the land those two warehouses sits on will realize how valuable that land is and sell it to a developer, but you never know.

As for the rest of the lot, the steel sheet piles for Evo are still sitting where they were two months ago, so there's nothing doing there. But Luma is plugging right along - they were setting up formwork for the second floor.

pdxstreetcar
Jan 24, 2006, 1:02 AM
MarkdaMan over in the NW forum posted a link to a Portland Blog about these developments in LA by Portland developers, thought you guys might be interested...

Link: Portland’s Condo Builders Do Los Angeles (http://chatterbox.typepad.com/portlandarchitecture/2006/01/portlands_condo.html)

http://chatterbox.typepad.com/./photos/uncategorized/la_elleven_view.jpg

citywatch
Jan 24, 2006, 1:03 AM
Those two warehouse structures aren't part of the plan, they're owned by a different owner and as far as I know nothing is planned for them at the time. That's too bad. Based on pictures like this, I just thought the 2nd tower would naturally extend all the way south on the block. However, since the 3rd tower will fill in all of the east side of the block, from 11th to 12th Sts, & will be sharing that side with Elleven, there's obviously a need for the devlprs to own all the land on the Grand St side instead of along Hope.

http://www.exploresouthgroup.com/images/luma_sw_view.jpg

Looking at aerial shots of DT at local.live.com is a good reminder that there still is a lot of land in South Pk that needs to be cleaned up & filled in. That's why I hope demand for new housing remains strong. If not, then I'll wonder if now cancelled plans to build a new ballpark in the hood may have been the only way to fix up the most land in the shortest, or most reasonable, time possible.

colemonkee
Jan 24, 2006, 1:45 AM
^ Yeah, that picture is a little misleading. If you look at the model shots of Elleven and Luma, you'll see that they're the same "width" on the north/south axis.

pdxstreetcar, does MarkDaMan have a larger rendering of Figueroa South? That's the first time I've seen that angle. It helps reveal a little more about the podium and how it meets the street.

katfam
Jan 24, 2006, 1:56 AM
[QUOTE=colemonkee]^ Yeah, that picture is a little misleading. If you look at the model shots of Elleven and Luma, you'll see that they're the same "width" on the north/south axis.

That isnt really true. The North/South side is longer in Luma than the north/south side of Elleven is and Luma is thinner than Elleven. Check the first page of this forum and you can check out the layouts for the 3 towers.

The red brick building will become a park, not sure when that is planned though.

citywatch
Jan 24, 2006, 4:26 AM
I believe Luma will be on the west side of the block, or at the SE corner of 11th St & Hope, with Elleven directly to the east of it, or at the SW corner of 11th & Grand, with Evo directly south of Elleven, or at the NW corner of 12th & Grand. The small warehouses would be directly west of Evo. I would think that the devlprs have been trying to buy up those old bldgs, & I hope they or someone else tears them down, if only to create a clean slate for ppl living in the next door Luma & Evo towers.

pdxstreetcar
Jan 24, 2006, 4:32 AM
i dont think there is a bigger rendering of figueroa south available yet

ronson
Jan 24, 2006, 8:06 AM
airy light

citywatch
Jan 26, 2006, 1:53 AM
The following better dare not happen to devlprs of condos or apts in DTLA, because there still are a lot of sites that need fixing up, a lot of projs that need to fill in the gaps.

The reversal of fortune in LV has hit the previously hot housing mkt in Shanghai, China, too. And I read several months ago that lots of speculation may begin to hurt the pace of highrise condo devlpt in Miami.

Vegas Condos Go Cold

Developers are suddenly scaling back their bets on the town's once sizzling luxury real estate market

By SONJA STEPTOE/LOS ANGELES
Posted Wednesday, Jan. 25, 2006

Now that several high rollers in the Las Vegas condo-hotel game, with properties linked to the likes of Michael Jordan and Ivana Trump, are either folding or selling their holdings, a growing number of players are losing their taste for big bets on high-rise residential real estate development.

Over the past two years, as high-rise fever spread across town, prices for the luxury apartments ballooned, fetching as much as $500 to $1,000 a square foot—or up to $1.5 million for a one-bedroom— at the peak. Buyers, mostly interested in flipping them for quick profits, eagerly anted up five-figure down payments, while developers planned more than 70 luxury towers holding a total of about 43,000 units on or near the Strip and downtown. But the intense competition for the city's limited supply of contractors sent construction costs skyrocketing 30% last year, just as lending policies tightened, interest rates climbed and sales started to slow.

Currently, just 18 projects are under way, and nervous developers have called off three high-profile projects over the past seven months. A number of others, including one backed by a group including George Clooney, are being either revised or postponed. Experts now forecast that only a quarter to half of the seven dozen originally proposed projects will ever be built. Brian Gordon, a principal at Applied Analysis, a real estate research firm, says the developers with experience building luxury high-rises, whose properties are located on or near the Strip and carry a strong and recognizable brand name— such as Donald Trump, Hard Rock and MGM Grand— are the ones playing winning hands in Vegas now.

Back east, the luxury condo markets that have had similarly explosive growth in Miami and New York, where high-end apartments can command from $2,000 to $4,000 a square foot, haven’t slumped yet. Still, experts say the abrupt reversal of fortune in the desert, where the mainstream residential real estate and hotel markets are still quite healthy, shows just how quickly the odds can change in even the most affluent markets if runaway speculation and overzealous development take hold. “It’s another case of irrational exuberance,” says John Restrepo, head of a Las Vegas real estate and economic consulting firm. “There is a market for high-rise condo hotels here; but it’s not as deep as people thought it was. The days of the two guys from the East Coast or Canada coming into town and promoting a condo development with a website and a dream are over.”

katfam
Jan 27, 2006, 2:30 AM
I got this from loftla.com

It's a 1020sqft unit. From the pdf they sent, it looks like there's window/door that goes out to the 4th floor common area.

----------
We have a unit available at Elleven-South. Unit 404 is a garden terrace unit, 1 bedroom/1 bath and is currently available at $612,000.
This unit will be available to move-in this April (2006). Deposits (5%= $30,600) will be taken on first come first deposit basis. We cannot hold this unit over the phone. Please stop by the Sales Center for more information.

If you break the new price of the unit ($600 a sq foot) from what it originally went for ($400 a sq foot) you can get a great guess on what the units are worth now. Its amazing to think how much its appreciated and we yet to move in.

colemonkee
Jan 27, 2006, 6:04 AM
I thought buyers weren't allowed to flip these. Wasn't this one of South's policies?

katfam
Jan 27, 2006, 6:53 AM
yes it is a policy, but this case is one where the buyer fell through and they lost their deposit. Elleven is now selling it, not the previous owner.

colemonkee
Jan 31, 2006, 6:40 PM
^ Ah, makes sense! I really like that policy, and hope other builders follow suit.

danparker276
Jan 31, 2006, 6:43 PM
1100 and 801 grand have that policy as well. Everything thing those groups will do in the future will have that too, because it lowers the value of their future projects.

citywatch
Jan 31, 2006, 7:28 PM
I'd like to see all the condo projs in DT have a occupants-only policy, which will help clarify the amt of demand coming from ppl who really want a home in DT vs those who just want to make $$ by playing speculator.

colemonkee
Jan 31, 2006, 10:10 PM
I got an email update from the South Group this morning on the construction of Elleven, Luma and Evo. It states that construction on Evo should start later "this month". They better hurry. This month ends in ten hours. I was there last weekend and nothing was doing on the site (sorry, no camera either).

Also, they said that Luma would start to rise soon at a rate of roughly one floor every six weeks. Am I the only one who feels like he's taking crazy pills? Six weeks per floor? That better be some good stuff they're smoking to move that slow.

logandankr
Jan 31, 2006, 10:18 PM
I got an email update from the South Group this morning on the construction of Elleven, Luma and Evo. It states that construction on Evo should start later "this month". They better hurry. This month ends in ten hours. I was there last weekend and nothing was doing on the site (sorry, no camera either).

Also, they said that Luma would start to rise soon at a rate of roughly one floor every six weeks. Am I the only one who feels like he's taking crazy pills? Six weeks per floor? That better be some good stuff they're smoking to move that slow.

Yeah that doesn't make any sense - at that rate it'd take over 2 years before they topped off, let alone put in my bamboo floors (I wish).

:banaride:

katfam
Feb 1, 2006, 12:26 AM

I am down there a few times a week and they have already begun the 3rd floor of Luma. That rate makes it about 2 floors a month. Elleven was doing 2 floors a month.

On another note...Elleven is going great. The lighting is going in up to 7th floor and the large kitchen counters are in up to the 6th floor. Balcony doors have starting going in up to 7th floor as well.

citywatch
Feb 1, 2006, 1:42 AM
This month ends in ten hours. I was there last weekend and nothing was doing on the site (sorry, no camera either).And I guess it's safe to say that nothing is going on at 4th & Main, where the Medallion devlpt is supposed to have started construction, or at the SE corner of 9th & Flower, where the Astani proj is supposed to also now be underway.

The nice thing about the Hanover condo proj at Fig & Olympic is that the devlpr began construction pretty much as scheduled & publicized.

edkao
Feb 1, 2006, 8:04 AM
Hi Future Elleven Residents,

Since we are closing in on Elleven being finished. Just wondering what type of financing and rates people have been finding.

Ed

LosAngelesSportsFan
Feb 1, 2006, 8:14 AM
hey, i do home loans, if anyone is interested PM me and ill see what i can do.

LAMetroGuy
Feb 1, 2006, 10:23 PM
you do? I need a loan, tell me more!

LosAngelesSportsFan
Feb 1, 2006, 11:41 PM
sure PM me, give me some info and ill see what i can do

katfam
Feb 5, 2006, 3:08 AM
They started finishing up the balconies at Elleven. They had started on the 4th and 5th floors. Putting up the corner unit railings for the balcony.

Luma07
Feb 7, 2006, 6:03 AM
Elleven people must be excited about moving in soon....I know I'm jealous!

So who is going to the be the first Elleven resident to put together an SSP get together??

L07

katfam
Feb 8, 2006, 11:17 PM
I stopped by the South Sales center today and found out some new info.

ELLEVEN
Starbucks will be located on the corner of 11th and Grand. The live/work units will have 2 mortgage brokers, real estate broker and an art gallery. The retail on the North side of Elleven is still open for lease.

They said that they should be sending out the final move-in packets to the Elleven residents in about 2 weeks. It will go over everthing from move-ins, elevator reservations and deliever info. They plan to move in a floor a week, starting with the 5th floor then the 6th.

South has also hired a company to start the Homeowners Association for Elleven.

LUMA
They said they plan to have the Luma buyers sign their contracts in start of April (in conjunction with Elleven's move in)

The commercial space in Luma is set to be a restaurant and is located on the North side of the building (along 11th Street)

EVO
They plan to break ground offically of Evo in April

Evo's website should be up and running in a week or so. They said they would email everyone and let them know.

NEW FUTURE BUIDLING!!!!!
South is in discussion now over building another resident tower across the street from Luma on the West side of Hope Street. Its to be located in the middle of the block (South of the Parking structure thats on Hope and 11th). It will be connected to SOUTH by a ground floor crosswalk across Hope street, directly in front of the mid block PARK!!!

They said it would be built after South Figueroa is built.

SALES CENTER
They have gutted the South Group Sales Center. The mock ups of Elleven and Luma are gone as well as the floor plans and interior choices. They are building a huge showroom for EVO with a section for South Figueroa as well. They are open during construction and said they should be done with it in about 4 to 5 weeks.

logandankr
Feb 8, 2006, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the update - all exciting news. Do you know- does the restaurant change the plans for the work/live units in Luma? Will they still have living space on top of them?

And do they have a particular restaurant they're talking with? Have they signed in a restaurant and just not telling yet or is the space just being designated as such, with no particular restaurant in mind.

And...connecting another building to the Elleven/Luma courtyard sounds cool, creating community bla bla bla, but does that mean all three buildings will be sharing the pool/communal areas? Guess we won't know until we see some plans, and if it's not getting built until after the fig projects, that'll prob be pretty far off.

colemonkee
Feb 9, 2006, 12:21 AM
That's great news on the new building front, and the retail announcements. I'm not too exited about the bridge between the projects, though. The last thing LA needs is another way to keep people from using the sidewalks.

POLA
Feb 9, 2006, 12:24 AM
^Dito. And what's so damn scary and time consuming about crossing the street?

katfam
Feb 9, 2006, 12:32 AM
I'm not too exited about the bridge between the projects, though. The last thing LA needs is another way to keep people from using the sidewalks.

Sorry for the confusion. It won't be a bridge. Its ground floor mid block cross walk in front of the mid block park between Elleven/Luma and Evo.

colemonkee
Feb 9, 2006, 12:41 AM
^ Aha! Much better! Mid-block crosswalks actually encourage pedestrian activity. I thought these South guys were smarter than a bridge. Thanks for the clarification, katfam.