PDA

View Full Version : Tucson Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85

cdsuofa
Mar 23, 2014, 4:47 PM
Tucson strikes annexation deal for proposed Southside shopping plaza (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/construction_real_estate/tucson-strikes-annexation-deal-for-proposed-southside-shopping-plaza/article_cf69c3a0-b077-11e3-9f7b-0019bb2963f4.html)

The City needs to annex a lot of the city's south side, north of Valencia specifically. If you look at our city limits it bumps up to about Palo Verde and Ajo and the line just dips far north into some areas and then back down south. Makes it harder to police, govern and develop. It all needs to be annexed to form a somewhat defined and recognizable city limit and theres no reason the City shouldn't be collecting those taxes. Im sure there are reasons for this odd configuration, what they are I have no ides but Im sure it can be resolved.
http://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/clerks/1258585121-wards-jpeg.jpg
Tucson.gov

sh9730
Mar 24, 2014, 8:33 PM
And you guys thought I was crazy when I was mentioning Casa Grande as a possible location for the Tesla Gigafactory:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/03/24/tesla-factory-search-focuses-on-railroads-far-out.html

I get it - its still a long long shot but I did always think the rail aspect and the large swatch of land, and the intersection of I 8/I 10, put CG in the game....

Plus with the Phoenixmart project coming there will be more infrastructure in place....

Who knows though....

I would add though that this article mentions Buckeye as another possibility in the far west Phoenix valley - and I ve also heard Gila Bend mentioned.....my view though is if they are going to go to an "exurb" (because of land costs and less NIMBYism etc) then CG is the better choice as employees can come from BOTH Tucson and Phoenix....whereas Gila Bend and Buckeye would only tap west valley of Phoenix realistically....

phxSUNSfan
Mar 25, 2014, 12:42 AM
If Tesla comes to Arizona it would likely be built in S. Phoenix near Sky Harbor, Chandler, Mesa or Tempe. A few reasons:

1. ASU has the best engineering school of all the possible locations (it is the only university with a Top 45 engineering program nationally where Tesla wants to build, UofA's engineering school isn't). It has the best R&D for renewable technology including a renowned program specifically dedicated to nanotechnology and battery development.

2. Metro Phoenix has the population and workforce for a plant the size Tesla is building. The area has the infrastructure as well; mass transit, freeways, rail, and an international airport with flights to actual international destinations.

3. Quality of life that high-tech and "knowledge workers" are looking for with specific locations dedicated to urban living, as urban as it gets in the Southwest, with downtown Phoenix, Tempe and even Old Town Scottsdale.

I can tell you as someone working in this field, I would not want to live in Casa Grande or even have to work there and be subjected to a commute. Tucson would be a better choice but I don't think it has all the necessary components to attract such a large employer in need of a skilled workforce. Even though the Biz Journal article claims that sites in the far West Valley and CG were under consideration, I think it will end up in Maricopa County. We shall see though. If this plant is built in Pinal County or the WV I hope the state seriously considers commuter rail between Phoenix, CG, and Tucson.

sh9730
Mar 25, 2014, 1:54 AM
PHX,

You make valid points as to why South Phoenix area (and into parts of East Valley) make sense - BUT, and this is a huge thing - I don't see ANY of the neighborhoods you mention being receptive to a large solar farm and/or wind farm near the factory to power it. CG already has a couple of fully self contained facilities and the City is supportive of these installations (Frito Lay is one...).

Also, as this article mentions and almost every poster here has pointed out - there is no rail access directly to Phoenix - and as Tesla's Fremont factory is right on the railway, this will likely be a huge factor, given the weight involved in shipping batteries etc...rail is by far the most economical way to go.

I agree, finding workers will be the biggest negative to putting this in CG or environs, BUT....people will go where the work is - and CG has already begun, and will continue to transform into a larger suburb than it is now, with all the accompanying amenities etc.

Add in the fact that Im not so sure ALL the jobs involved here will need engineering savvy, nor will it be likely that all 6500 will be needed immediately in 2016, more likely over a 5-10 year period....and that changes the picture a bit.

But, Im not holding my breath believe me - Im just glad Phoenixmart is actually becoming a reality....

But it would be cool if we got this too - imagine all the other development that would occur on the relatively blank slate of CG if it did?!

phxSUNSfan
Mar 25, 2014, 2:06 AM
You make valid points as to why South Phoenix area (and into parts of East Valley) make sense - BUT, and this is a huge thing - I don't see ANY of the neighborhoods you mention being receptive to a large solar farm and/or wind farm near the factory to power it.

Why not? I don't see an issue, in fact, a solar array for the plant does not need to be build adjacent to the facility. It could be built miles away. Furthermore, it could also be built like the state's largest collection of solar panels powering one entity: the arrays built by ASU on campus (atop buildings, parking structures, pavilions, etc.) can serve as a template for how to build the Tesla factory with solar in mind.

Also, as this article mentions and almost every poster here has pointed out - there is no rail access directly to Phoenix - and as Tesla's Fremont factory is right on the railway, this will likely be a huge factor, given the weight involved in shipping batteries etc...rail is by far the most economical way to go.

There is rail access directly to Phoenix. In fact, the state's largest rail yards are in El Mirage and near Tempe. These are two yards in which most car manufacturers deliver cars to the state. Vehicles delivered to Arizona are offloaded in the El Mirage and Tempe yards. Central Phoenix also has 3 yards, 2 near downtown that are owned by rail companies.

I agree, finding workers will be the biggest negative to putting this in CG or environs, BUT....people will go where the work is - and CG has already begun, and will continue to transform into a larger suburb than it is now, with all the accompanying amenities etc.

That was the old economic model but not so much anymore. In all reality, if the only sites in Arizona meeting Tesla's needs are in remote locales like CG, then the company will most likely select one of the other three states and skip AZ altogether. If Tesla builds in El Paso they won't have to do so miles and miles away from a large population center.

Add in the fact that Im not so sure ALL the jobs involved here will need engineering savvy, nor will it be likely that all 6500 will be needed immediately in 2016, more likely over a 5-10 year period....and that changes the picture a bit.

It sounds like Tesla wants to move quickly and if it aims to be a mainstream automaker it has to do so with expediency.

But, Im not holding my breath believe me - Im just glad Phoenixmart is actually becoming a reality.

PhoenixMart is somewhat of a reality. It has yet to be built and it hasn't attracted any real commitment from retailers and manufacturers. This thing will be an economic black hole.

sh9730
Mar 25, 2014, 2:17 AM
PHX,

As with everyone else - we ll just have to wait and see.

I disagree with some of your points, especially that if limited to exurbs (BTW CG is not THAT far from where you are suggesting since I drive to the valley frequently and am in Chandler/Tempe in 35 mins from my house), that TESLA will skip AZ. Especially given the articles sources that TESLA is in fact PRIMARILLY examining these sites here (I cant imagine ALL of their sources being wrong...).

But - only time will tell! And I love the debate about it....

P S - Not sure if you have some information others don't - but Im in contact with several different avenues regarding the Phoenixmart project and my understanding is that there IS leasing and commitment from manufacturers already, and they have really just begun the marketing process....but that's a different thread.

phxSUNSfan
Mar 25, 2014, 2:29 AM
I disagree with some of your points, especially that if limited to exurbs (BTW CG is not THAT far from where you are suggesting since I drive to the valley frequently and am in Chandler/Tempe in 35 mins from my house), that TESLA will skip AZ. Especially given the articles sources that TESLA is in fact PRIMARILLY examining these sites here (I cant imagine ALL of their sources being wrong...).

38 minutes one way is a hell of a commute; and that is a calculation without traffic. It takes me 10 minutes to get to work and some of that time involves walking. However, the sites mentioned in the article that are being looked at in Pinal and the exurbs aren't Tesla's "primary" targets they are, however, among sites they are considering just in this state ... these sites include Tucson.

Thirsty
Mar 25, 2014, 5:35 AM
38 minutes one way is a hell of a commute; and that is a calculation without traffic. It takes me 10 minutes to get to work and some of that time involves walking. However, the sites mentioned in the article that are being looked at in Pinal and the exurbs aren't Tesla's "primary" targets they are, however, among sites they are considering just in this state ... these sites include Tucson.

I agree it is a hell of a commute but we're not typical. One in ten Americans will drive 90+ minutes each way. Arizona has relatively low commute times, with Phoenix averaging about half an hour. 40 minutes isn't going to be a deal breaker.

There is a strong youth trend toward urban/local lifestyles, but the majority who can afford to buy are still buying suburban houses.

farmerk
Mar 25, 2014, 1:45 PM
A 30+ min commute in Tucson is not unusual either. In LA metro, that's the norm.

"....There is rail access directly to Phoenix. In fact, the state's largest rail yards are in El Mirage and near Tempe. These are two yards in which most car manufacturers deliver cars to the state. Vehicles delivered to Arizona are offloaded in the El Mirage and Tempe yards. Central Phoenix also has 3 yards, 2 near downtown that are owned by rail companies. ..." How far from south of Phoenix (possible location of gigafactory)?

PHX31
Mar 25, 2014, 4:41 PM
There is rail access directly to Phoenix. In fact, the state's largest rail yards are in El Mirage and near Tempe. These are two yards in which most car manufacturers deliver cars to the state. Vehicles delivered to Arizona are offloaded in the El Mirage and Tempe yards. Central Phoenix also has 3 yards, 2 near downtown that are owned by rail companies.

What makes a rail yard be the "largest"? From what I can tell, the rail yard in south Tucson is larger than anything in Phoenix or El Mirage (and I can't even find the one you're talking about in Tempe). From Google Earth it looks like it has more tracks and it's overall footprint is just larger than either El Mirage or downtown Phoenix. Although the El Mirage one does look like a huge car loading facility.

However, maybe they don't need "largest". There is probably way more that goes into deciding if the available rail access will work for their factory than just size.

ProfessorMole
Mar 25, 2014, 6:19 PM
Not to derail the Phoenix/Tucson argument on the Tesla plant (pun extremely intended) but hadn't seen this posted on the forum yet:

Archeological artifacts were found on the Twin Peaks Outlet plot. They are not expecting it to delay their start, but if it does, that could give the Avra Outlets their chance again. The twin peaks group was already a small bit ahead because of infrastructure pieces already in place from the previous go at turning that land into a commercial property.

pit house on development plot (http://azstarnet.com/canal-pit-houses-from-up-to-years-ago-found-under/article_68364cf8-fe11-54c3-a72d-0e16553aded4.html)

Thirsty
Mar 26, 2014, 6:32 AM
If Tesla comes to Arizona it would likely be built in S. Phoenix near Sky Harbor, Chandler, Mesa or Tempe. A few reasons:

1. ASU has the best engineering school of all the possible locations (it is the only university with a Top 45 engineering program nationally where Tesla wants to build, UofA's engineering school isn't). It has the best R&D for renewable technology including a renowned program specifically dedicated to nanotechnology and battery development.

I must have glossed over this yesterday, but I assume you're referring to US News & WR. Ten schools separate the two universities in a partially subjective rank of all ABET institutions nationwide; not a significant margin.

But really, we could be talking about just an assembly plant. Has a breakdown been released of what sort of jobs will be needed to fill the labor need? It could be a few plant managers and 6,000 solderers for all I know.

Ritarancher
Mar 27, 2014, 6:02 AM
http://m.la.curbed.com/archives/2014/02/las_new_led_streetlights_are_changing_the_way_movies_look_1.php
Replace ugly, orange incandescent lights with eco friendly LED lights. This is something that the city should start to phase in. While the initial investment is costly, it's worth it. Darker night skies, less energy consumption and a smaller electric bill would be very beneficial for our astronomy loving community. Just as a rough estimate, Tucson city limits are one fifth the population of LA city limits. If they save 5,000,000 dollars annually then we should expect savings of about one million. A million dollars a year isn't much, but it could help road repairs, streetcar maintenance, landscaping, cleaning graffiti or other various city needs.

Qwijib0
Mar 27, 2014, 8:02 PM
http://m.la.curbed.com/archives/2014/02/las_new_led_streetlights_are_changing_the_way_movies_look_1.php
Replace ugly, orange incandescent lights with eco friendly LED lights. This is something that the city should start to phase in. While the initial investment is costly, it's worth it. Darker night skies, less energy consumption and a smaller electric bill would be very beneficial for our astronomy loving community. Just as a rough estimate, Tucson city limits are one fifth the population of LA city limits. If they save 5,000,000 dollars annually then we should expect savings of about one million. A million dollars a year isn't much, but it could help road repairs, streetcar maintenance, landscaping, cleaning graffiti or other various city needs.

Tucson is mostly high/low pressure sodium which are very efficient already, going to LED would mean only a slight increase in that metric. Sodium bulbs are actually better for astronomy, since they peak at one very narrow wavelength it's easy to filter out that light. LEDs would have 3 or more peaks to filter. The big municipal savings with LEDs come from traffic lights, where they're 10 or more times efficient than the incandescents.

Ted Lyons
Mar 29, 2014, 8:11 PM
This short article has a lot of seemingly definitive statements about Tesla. Wonder what the actual evidence is.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/25104117/tucson-a-contender-for-tesla-plant-location

It appears Reno, Nevada is the frontrunner, but Tucson officials say Tesla may be also interested in Tucson for other parts of its operation.

farmerk
Mar 31, 2014, 10:27 AM
60 minutes interview of Elon Musks (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tesla-and-spacex-elon-musks-industrial-empire/)

Few weeks ago, it's Albuquerque. Now, Reno as front runner for the gigafactory. Glad Tucson will have at least a piece of that factory. Gigafactory update (https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/Teslas-5B-Giga-Battery-Factory-and-Deep-Politics-in-AZ-TX-NV-and-NM).

The NIMBYs and CAVEs (fans of this forum) are boiling mad now.

sh9730
Apr 2, 2014, 8:56 PM
Well - here is the latest rumor the AZ Republic can add to this - Pinal County is where the focus is in AZ - sort of!! LOL

I hope they make the decision soon....

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/2014/04/01/pinal-land-considered-planned-factory/7184157/

Patrick S
Apr 3, 2014, 4:17 AM
Well - here is the latest rumor the AZ Republic can add to this - Pinal County is where the focus is in AZ - sort of!! LOL

I hope they make the decision soon....

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/2014/04/01/pinal-land-considered-planned-factory/7184157/
I'm glad to hear that the 3 sites being considered the most in Pinal County are in the Casa Grande area, or south. The Eloy site, and especially the Red Rock site, would actually be closer to Tucson than Phoenix. A couple other good things that would probably arise if any of these 3 sites in Pinal County were chosen would be that this would probably mean I-10 would finally be fully widened to at least 3 lanes from Tucson to Phoenix, and that this might spur the building of High Speed Rail from Tucson to Phoenix. The first, I would imagine, would for sure happen. Most of I-10 is 3 lanes from Tucson to Casa Grande, but little is 3 lanes north of that until you hit the southern part of the Phoenix area. I would imagine that if this was built along I-10 in Pinal County the state would quickly start drawing up plans, and finding the proper funds, to get I-10 widened the rest of the way between the 2 metro areas.

Patrick S
Apr 3, 2014, 4:22 AM
Major housing project near Corona de Tucson advances (http://azstarnet.com/business/major-housing-project-near-corona-de-tucson-advances/article_f96eb7de-8d8e-5889-9848-90ad8b1163ca.html)

The Pima County Board of Supervisors approved a development agreement Tuesday with the company that owns the old Hook M Ranch near Corona de Tucson, southeast of Tucson.

Diamond Ventures, which owns the 716 acres, plans a development that will include 1,376 homes, 400 apartments, open space, small commercial spaces and a public school.

The agreement specifies transportation and wastewater improvements that will be required to develop the land, which was rezoned two years ago.

They include designing and extending East Andrada Road from South Houghton Road to the entrance of the proposed project, as well as making any necessary improvements to the intersection of Houghton and Andrada.

The county Transportation Department will conduct a traffic study to determine the extent of the improvements.

The developer will also be responsible for design and construction of any wastewater pump stations and any conveyance lines to the Corona de Tucson Wastewater Treatment Facility, as well as all on-site wastewater improvements needed to serve the development.

The agreement will last for 25 years from the day it is signed.

It’s expected to take several years before construction begins on the site.

Patrick S
Apr 3, 2014, 4:43 AM
This video, in some ways, is better than I expected. The CG effects are a little cheesy, but the rest of it is actually pretty cool.

Maker House and friends appeal to Tesla with video (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/maker-house-and-friends-appeal-to-tesla-with-video/article_c6ef9fa8-ba8e-11e3-b8b0-001a4bcf887a.html)

"Local creative types from Maker House, ArtFire, and Sparc Interactive have put together a video promoting Tucson with hopes of capturing attention at Tesla. The electric car giant, as Tucsonans know, is considering Arizona, along with Nevada, New Mexico and Texas, for its battery "gigafactory." The multi-billion dollar project comes with 6,500 jobs.

We've reached out to a spokesman for this video project and will follow up. In the meantime, read some of our previous Tesla stories and blog posts:"

- Unfortunately, one of these blog posts is this:

Phoenix Biz Journal: Tucson probably not on Tesla short list (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/blogs/phoenix-biz-journal-tucson-probably-not-on-tesla-short-list/article_0d6c9f72-b9b2-11e3-b1fe-001a4bcf887a.html)

"...A story earlier in the week that looked at Arizona sites said Tesla doesn't want to be too close to a major metro and suggested the top Arizona site is near Eloy, with Phoenix's agricultural West Valley the next most likely spot.

Tucson's suggested site south of Raytheon is too close to the city and not big enough, the story suggests."

"...That said, if not Tucson, a plant between Eloy and Casa Grande would still be good for Tucson, especially Marana, just not as good if it were built in or next to the Old Pueblo."

- This pretty much mirrors what I said a couple of posts ago.

Patrick S
Apr 6, 2014, 5:20 AM
This is interesting. Proposal for shopping center and apartments on the north-west corner of Golf Links and Houghton (south of Old Spanish Trail). Most buildings will be 40-50 feet tall, with an exception for a building of up to 100 feet tall in the area where the maximum is 50 feet, and a 45 foot tall theatre in the area where the maximum is 40 feet. This will be voted on in at the next city council meeting on 4/8/14.
Link to the proposal: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/sirepub/cache/2/ayni0mzkwnzzsasiqw2gyf3q/602759504062014093055516.PDF (http://www.tucsonaz.gov/sirepub/cache/2/ayni0mzkwnzzsasiqw2gyf3q/602759504062014093055516.PDF)
Link to the next city council meeting agenda: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=1246&doctype=AGENDA

farmerk
Apr 6, 2014, 2:58 PM
This is interesting. Proposal for shopping center and apartments on the north-west corner of Golf Links and Houghton (south of Old Spanish Trail). Most buildings will be 40-50 feet tall, with an exception for a building of up to 100 feet tall in the area where the maximum is 50 feet, and a 45 foot tall theatre in the area where the maximum is 40 feet. This will be voted on in at the next city council meeting on 4/8/14.
Link to the proposal: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/sirepub/cache/2/g4gj2w5g3gikxrsivuyfkryx/602759504052014100752918.PDF (http://www.tucsonaz.gov/sirepub/cache/2/g4gj2w5g3gikxrsivuyfkryx/602759504052014100752918.PDF)
Link to the next city council meeting agenda: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=1246&doctype=AGENDA

That's about 4-5 floors and away from central Tucson. Can't wait to see the rendering of that proposal.

Looks like that's a sign of good things to come - 5 floor residential/retail buildings all over Tucson.

Could this be Tucson in the coming years... I sure hope so. Broadway, Speedway and Oracle should look like the photo on the left. Arm pit slums of Tucson such as Barrio Hollywood should look like the 2 photos to the right.
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/14/08/50/view-north-on-rue-de.jpghttp://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/showfile.exe?CISOROOT=/buildings&CISOPTR=13916http://www.newworldeconomics.com/archives/2008/072008_files/paris%204.jpg

Ted Lyons
Apr 6, 2014, 5:20 PM
Some screencaps from the PDF:

http://i.imgur.com/k8n9qNJ.png

http://i.imgur.com/rmZ3M4d.png

http://i.imgur.com/rEs356o.png

Patrick S
Apr 6, 2014, 5:25 PM
That's about 4-5 floors and away from central Tucson. Can't wait to see the rendering of that proposal.

Looks like that's a sign of good things to come - 5 floor residential/retail buildings all over Tucson.
I don't think it's going to be as dense as the images you showed - with buildings touching neighboring buildings - it's still going to be more suburban, but I agree it's a step in the right direction. The tallest building would be approximately 10 stories tall. That's unheard of out in this area (I live in the southeast side of Tucson too). There are some renderings in the first link I shared (nothing final or definitive though). I do like the idea of a theatre out here. Get some services out to this area (an area that's growing) so we don't have to drive so far. I'm excited to see what may become of this.

farmerk
Apr 7, 2014, 12:11 AM
http://i.imgur.com/rmZ3M4d.png

http://i.imgur.com/rEs356o.png

Those renderings look nice. They look somewhat similar to the Sentinel Plaza
http://www.preservationmanagement.com/images/rental/100_0624W-2.jpg

farmerk
Apr 7, 2014, 12:58 AM
Don't know if this has been posted before but stumbled into this by accident.

Development Plan for Franklin Docks area (http://www.dunbarspring.org/current-news/development-plan-franklin-docks-area) - posted Dec 2012

http://dunbarspring.org/sites/default/files/field/image/mercado-presidio-and-wharehouse-lofts-franklin-docks-tucson-2.jpg

Ritarancher
Apr 7, 2014, 4:50 AM
We've got some interesting stuff going on.I found this PDF which gives information about core campus' new lot at 1023 North Tyndall.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpdsd.tucsonaz.gov%2Ffiles%2Fpdsd%2Fboards-committees-commissions%2FZAD_Main_Gate_Overlay_District.pdf&ei=ki1CU9K8HMnCyAHbpoHIDQ&usg=AFQjCNFV0VMHlYsJbHY93wRTfHHpvns1RA&sig2=ZD24RQ4y1N28Tt3HNIxkAg&bvm=bv.64125504,d.aWc

farmerk
Apr 7, 2014, 12:36 PM
Nice find everyone. One development I would like to see move forward is downtown west. Getting tired of the delays and changes. I'm hoping they would be build something like this

http://www.mparchitects.com/site/sites/default/files/images/mercado-04.jpg
source (http://www.mparchitects.com/site/projects/mercado-neighborhood)

It would be nice to see buildings that overwhelms everyone.

btw, the Mercado San Augustin ( little plaza with restaurants ) gets respectable number of visitors. I believe every Thursday there's a farmer's market in and around the plaza. Every now and then, the place is packed with customers. I'd say it's a success.

ProfessorMole
Apr 7, 2014, 4:43 PM
We've got some interesting stuff going on.I found this PDF which gives information about core campus' new lot at 1023 North Tyndall.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpdsd.tucsonaz.gov%2Ffiles%2Fpdsd%2Fboards-committees-commissions%2FZAD_Main_Gate_Overlay_District.pdf&ei=ki1CU9K8HMnCyAHbpoHIDQ&usg=AFQjCNFV0VMHlYsJbHY93wRTfHHpvns1RA&sig2=ZD24RQ4y1N28Tt3HNIxkAg&bvm=bv.64125504,d.aWc

I'm intrigued that they are only talking about six stories for this new building. From the Main Gate Overlay (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=5797694&postcount=3263) map, that plot looked like it had a 12 story limit and Mama's plot was the one with a six story limit.

Ted Lyons
Apr 7, 2014, 9:28 PM
I'm not too concerned about the height. I just hope the finishes on the second HUB building are nicer than on the current building. Seeing each concrete floor from the exterior is pretty bad. I read that the second HUB building in Tempe is significantly nicer than the first one, so there's hope.

Schaeffa
Apr 7, 2014, 11:41 PM
Don't know if this has been posted before but stumbled into this by accident.

Development Plan for Franklin Docks area (http://www.dunbarspring.org/current-news/development-plan-franklin-docks-area) - posted Dec 2012

http://dunbarspring.org/sites/default/files/field/image/mercado-presidio-and-wharehouse-lofts-franklin-docks-tucson-2.jpg

I thought 6th was getting re-routed a little bit north and going to have an underpass with with the train tracks as part of the Downtown Links (http://www.downtownlinks.info/) plan. If that is still happening, I'd imagine this development would have to wait until that project is finished and the property lines would need to be adjusted.

Ritarancher
Apr 8, 2014, 1:44 AM
Had some time to kill so I drove around the new communities coming up in southeast Houghton (Mary Ann Cleveland) . The neighborhoods are very nice. The houses are fairly chap (considering the size). Rising from about 6 months ago I'd say that the communities are already about 40% full. It's nice to see Tucson grow again, especially after our estimated loss of 40,000 people in 2010.If you do have time to look at the houses DON'T because they'll make you jealous! :)

Patrick S
Apr 8, 2014, 5:43 AM
On 6/22/2012, Tucson annexed (http://tdotmaps.transview.org/mandr/annexations/) an approximately 354 acre area called Valencia Crossings. I originally thought it was the area near Valencia and Kolb (http://www.woodmont.com/collateral/AF427B73-2EA7-4763-B2E7-CB4767CB5095.pdf). I actually had mentioned this on one of my posts from 7/17/2012 (page 159 on this site). This area has changed a bit from the original design. Valencia now looks to go through the area, and not to the south of it. (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/construction_real_estate/tucson-strikes-annexation-deal-for-proposed-southside-shopping-plaza/article_cf69c3a0-b077-11e3-9f7b-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm_gal#&ui-state=dialog)

Also, this area wasn't annexed until March of this year. (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/construction_real_estate/tucson-strikes-annexation-deal-for-proposed-southside-shopping-plaza/article_cf69c3a0-b077-11e3-9f7b-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm)

So, this was actually not the right area called 'Valencia Crossing'. There is another area called Valencia Crossing, and it was the area annexed in 2012. It's at Valencia and I-10 and here's a link to this proposed shopping center: http://evgre.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/I-10-Valencia-Marketing-Basic-January-2014.pdf

Patrick S
Apr 8, 2014, 6:18 AM
I saw an article about this in the paper a couple weeks ago, but I just found the information on the Census website (http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk). Their new population estimates are out for metro areas for 2013. Tucson metro area has gained 16,291 people since the 2010 census. Add that to the metro population of 980,263 at that time and our metro population is 996,554 (and an increase of only 1.66% since 2010). We should hit the one million mark next year. But, there are some disturbing facts in the report for Tucson too. The population increase per year for the 3.25 years since the census (4/1/10 - 7/1/13) is 5,012.62 per year. Last year we gained 4,159 - below the average of the first 2.25 years. Also, last year, though our international migration was 1,754 - we lost 980 people to the rest of the country (including other parts of Arizona). This puts our total domestic migration for the 3.25 years since the census at -83, meaning until we were -980 last year, we had actually gained 897 people from the rest of the US before last year. Our international migration in the 3+ years since the census was 5,708 - which makes up almost 1/3 of the total increase in that time.

Phoenix, on the other hand has gained 205,874 total since the census and 78,486 from domestic migration.

bleunick
Apr 8, 2014, 4:02 PM
http://pdsd.tucsonaz.gov/files/pdsd/boards-committees-commissions/The_Hub_at_Tucson_II_Site_Photos_Site_Plans.pdf

bleunick
Apr 8, 2014, 4:03 PM
I'm not too concerned about the height. I just hope the finishes on the second HUB building are nicer than on the current building. Seeing each concrete floor from the exterior is pretty bad. I read that the second HUB building in Tempe is significantly nicer than the first one, so there's hope.

http://pdsd.tucsonaz.gov/files/pdsd/boards-committees-commissions/The_Hub_at_Tucson_II_Site_Photos_Site_Plans.pdf

Anqrew
Apr 8, 2014, 4:47 PM

Great find! I've been scouring the internet for weeks trying to find a rendering of this! I'm too curious why its only 6 floors when that lot allows 12. perhaps they changed the Overlay district?

aznate27
Apr 8, 2014, 4:56 PM

Thanks for the post! I was looking like hell for this the other day!

Ted Lyons
Apr 8, 2014, 7:36 PM
Great find! I've been scouring the internet for weeks trying to find a rendering of this! I'm too curious why its only 6 floors when that lot allows 12. perhaps they changed the Overlay district?

This is a curious mystery. There had to be a change to the UOD. The finishes look much nicer at least.

Patrick S
Apr 9, 2014, 2:18 AM
Looks like the first Kino PADs are going to be built on at the Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges. The Kino PADs are on the small strip to the east of the of Kino, across Kino from the main section of the Bridges. The first business going in there is a Culver's. This link is from March, 2014.http://www.landadvisors.com/pdf/AZPM04037-91260PAD.pdf

Patrick S
Apr 9, 2014, 2:52 AM
Possible future alignments of Broadway Blvd. after the widening of the segment from Euclid to Country Club.

I really like the 5th one here (it includes the possibility of light rail): http://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/projects/broadway/Section_Sheets_for_Alignment_Study-01ksV2.pdf
I like the 2nd one here (again, light rail): http://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/projects/broadway/6_with_future_62T_alternativeV2.pdf
Here's the link to the whole project: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/broadway

Ted Lyons
Apr 9, 2014, 4:42 AM
Living in the area, I'd be very surprised if any of the 6+2 options are adopted. I think the 4+2T option is the most likely and should be prioritized as it appeases all parties. Keep in mind that straight 4 options are still on the table, so compromise will probably be necessary.

Ritarancher
Apr 9, 2014, 4:50 AM
Possible future alignments of Broadway Blvd. after the widening of the segment from Euclid to Country Club.

I really like the 5th one here (it includes the possibility of light rail): http://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/projects/broadway/Section_Sheets_for_Alignment_Study-01ksV2.pdf
I like the 2nd one here (again, light rail): http://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/projects/broadway/6_with_future_62T_alternativeV2.pdf
Here's the link to the whole project: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/broadway

Yes, I agree. It'd be foolish to design this without the possibility of light rail. Considering how many structures must be cleared for the project we need to make a road that won't need to be expanded in the future. A light rail won't need to be widened, you just need extra trains. I also like the bike road but if we can't fit it in then don't.
Being the road that many people base their impressions of Tucson on, I'd suggest trees a tad bit nicer than our humble mesquites and palo verdes. Some Chinese Pistache trees would really improve the aesthetics on Broadway

Thirsty
Apr 9, 2014, 5:48 AM
Here's Steve Farley's similar light rail proposal from a decade ago:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020313152538im_/http://tucsonlightrail.org/routemap.jpg (https://web.archive.org/web/20020907160058/http://tucsonlightrail.org/planmap.htm)

I have also read that there are 3 officially proposed short-to-medium term streetcar route expansions--I took a survey some time ago that listed them along with various BRT routes. I believe they were:

Campbell to Limberlost to the Tohono Tadai transit center
6th/Broadway to El Con
6th Ave to (I think) the Laos Transit Center

I think those are all reasonable routes, although I think there was hope that El Con would evolve into something more transit friendly, instead of a collection of big box stores. A Broadway line needs to go further east to really make sense. What concerns me is that there was no dedicated right-of-way planned for any of it. No one is going to ride 5+ miles on the streetcar at 8 MPH unless they are already bus riders. The existing line only makes any sense because there are a lot of jobs, homes, and attractions within a mile or two of each other along it. A longer system has to have its own right-of-way or else it will just take too long to get anywhere.

I like Steve Farley and the work he has done for Tucson, but his new map (http://www.streetcarfriends.org/maps/) worries me because it seems to be trying to cover way too much ground with rail, while not matching up with population and employment density (http://www.pagnet.org/documents/RTP/RTP2040/2040RTP-RD-PopandEmpDensitiesMap.pdf) very well, and at roughly 50 miles total, would cost $2-5 billion, possibly much more.

I love Tucson and I want to see more transit-oriented growth, but that much money isn't happening, and that much rail just doesn't make sense.

BTW, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Transit is my main area of interest; I voted for Steve's original plan in 2003 and I hold out hope that Tucson can get it together and move our transportation infrastructure forward in a smart way.

I've thought the position of Downtown and the UA gave light rail planners an opportunity to create a loop. Each line in the system would have only one terminus with a common loop at the other end. The idea being that each line in the system increases the frequency of trains in the loop (highest density land use) Also a way to develop Speedway from I-10 to UA.

http://s9.postimg.org/d1cvp0733/LRT_loop.jpg

In that example there have been three lines built. Because of the odd number a train would circle around to keep the clockwise and CCW wait times equal.

So where the city might run 4 or 5 trains an hour on each line, those looking to get somewhere else on the loop would see 8 or 10.

Maybe it's not worth the trouble, but there is another benefit. Any LRT is going to have to service both downtown and UA. A loop creates twice as much "light rail adjacent" real estate as a conventional route would.

farmerk
Apr 9, 2014, 7:06 AM
Yes, I agree. It'd be foolish to design this without the possibility of light rail. Considering how many structures must be cleared for the project we need to make a road that won't need to be expanded in the future. A light rail won't need to be widened, you just need extra trains. I also like the bike road but if we can't fit it in then don't.
Being the road that many people base their impressions of Tucson on, I'd suggest trees a tad bit nicer than our humble mesquites and palo verdes. Some Chinese Pistache trees would really improve the aesthetics on Broadway

I agree with you. I also like those Chinese Pistache tree lining Broadway Rd.

cdsuofa
Apr 11, 2014, 1:57 PM
I think when it comes to starting our light rail system, Broadway from Downtown to Park Place would be the best initial route and then additional lines could spring off of that. I would like to see the system be as free flowing as possible, I hope it doesn't end up just like a bus where it takes you 15 mins to get a mile due due stop lights, traffic, whatever. How we could achieve this without doing the obvious extremely expensive options (raised above street level or dropped below at points) is a question I don't know how to answer.

Ted Lyons
Apr 11, 2014, 3:41 PM
I think when it comes to starting our light rail system, Broadway from Downtown to Park Place would be the best initial route and then additional lines could spring off of that. I would like to see the system be as free flowing as possible, I hope it doesn't end up just like a bus where it takes you 15 mins to get a mile due due stop lights, traffic, whatever. How we could achieve this without doing the obvious extremely expensive options (raised above street level or dropped below at points) is a question I don't know how to answer.

Traffic timing is critical. If you set up lights to give trains priority, you don't have to worry about grade separation.

Thirsty
Apr 12, 2014, 2:34 AM

Phoenix's LRT has a right of way between lanes. Traffic laws limit the speed, but it is still much faster than a bus.

The biggest issue with that system I'd say is for drivers, not riders. Apache Blvd. can be a headache at times, Broadway in Tucson could much worse.

Traffic timing is critical. If you set up lights to give trains priority, you don't have to worry about grade separation.

sure, but it would be faster for everyone. :D Any generous billionaires on the board?

farmerk
Apr 12, 2014, 11:36 AM
... I would like to see the system be as free flowing as possible, I hope it doesn't end up just like a bus where it takes you 15 mins to get a mile due due stop lights, traffic, whatever. How we could achieve this without doing the obvious extremely expensive options (raised above street level or dropped below at points) is a question I don't know how to answer.

Raised above street level or underground rail would be ideal for a free flowing light rail transit - not gonna happen in Tucson, unfortunately.

Since Tucson has always been against the all important east-west crosstown freeway (Grant-Kolb, my favorite freeway route) and traffic flow has been getting worse each year, I think a dedicated lane for light rail is Tucson's best answer for the likely traffic armageddon it will face in the future.

Tucson might as well extend the current street car route to a light rail otherwise it will be another embarrassing major sinkhole (and a joke). Besides, wherever the light rail goes, investment follows ( 5+ floor buildings ).

farmerk
Apr 12, 2014, 5:20 PM
Looks like construction is at the beginning stage at downtown west. Was there this morning and I saw 3 construction vehicles ( 2 large earth movers and 1 large water truck ) parked in the middle of that empty dirt lot besides the Sentinel Plaza. I'm assuming those vehicles are for the 'stone' walled apartment complexes that's been promised the last 10 years. The streetcar rails and roads are done so those apts could be next.

Although we only have the Sentinel Plaza and El Rio around that small area, I'm beginning to feel that density. Can't wait for the rest.

cdsuofa
Apr 12, 2014, 11:54 PM
Of course doing this will help the train move about easier but then you throw off the light timing system for automobile traffic which is already a huge issue in Tucson. I agree this will be more than likely the solution they go with but I still think there will be issues with time of transit on the system making it less desirable to ride for the average car owning Tucsonan. The view I would like to hear more is that this is a major infrastructure project for Tucson which will only be done once and we should spend the money to do it the best way possible but I know that view wont be adopted by your average citizen

Patrick S
Apr 14, 2014, 6:44 AM
Proposed commercial area on the southwest corner of Golf Links and Houghton (directly across Golf Links from the mixed-use area I posted about last week), called Sorrento Square: http://larsenbaker.catylist.com/files/property/540000/543081/7881672_Sorrento_Square_Tucson_Arizona.pdf

I guess, technically, it's not proposed, as the Goodwill and the Quick Trip on that corner are part of it.

sh9730
Apr 15, 2014, 4:08 AM
So, been a few days since this thread engaged in any "gigafactory" speculation....wow the information is just soooo back and forth.

BUT, in this interview for the AZ Republic the Govt Affairs exec TODAY says that Arizona is "very much in the running" and the decision is likely to be made by summer.

http://www.azcentral.com/videos/opinion/2014/04/14/7709827/

And there was this article a few days ago discussing the fact that Land Company Vermaland has offered to GIVE Tesla land in Eloy or Gila Bend for the project.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/2014/04/08/vermaland-offers-tesla-sites-eloy-gila-bend/7484329/

Now, OTOH, there are a bunch of articles out there (mostly from our competition states press outlets) that AZ may have killed itself by not passing the law to allow Tesla direct sales.....could be - but at least on the outside TESLA is still considering us since there Govt Affairs guy was here in the state TODAY (after the bill was already dead for now)....

Who knows...

Ted Lyons
Apr 15, 2014, 4:13 AM
So, been a few days since this thread engaged in any "gigafactory" speculation....wow the information is just soooo back and forth.

BUT, in this interview for the AZ Republic the Govt Affairs exec TODAY says that Arizona is "very much in the running" and the decision is likely to be made by summer.

http://www.azcentral.com/videos/opinion/2014/04/14/7709827/

And there was this article a few days ago discussing the fact that Land Company Vermaland has offered to GIVE Tesla land in Eloy or Gila Bend for the project.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/2014/04/08/vermaland-offers-tesla-sites-eloy-gila-bend/7484329/

Now, OTOH, there are a bunch of articles out there (mostly from our competition states press outlets) that AZ may have killed itself by not passing the law to allow Tesla direct sales.....could be - but at least on the outside TESLA is still considering us since there Govt Affairs guy was here in the state TODAY (after the bill was already dead for now)....

Who knows...

If it's outside Tucson, Eloy would be great for us. Really hope the failed legislation isn't a killer.

ProfessorMole
Apr 15, 2014, 6:05 PM
Looks like the service start date on the Streetcar is July 25th. Assuming we hit that milestone, it will be running for a couple weeks before students start moving into the two new towers starting August 10th (spoke with the leasing agents).

Streetcar Article on RailwayAge (http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/passenger/light-rail/tucson-streetcar-line-nears-readiness.html)

ppdd
Apr 17, 2014, 5:02 PM
Grocery store coming to downtown. This is a really good development, hopefully catering to a more general audience that Maynards Market. This needs to work for students and general residents (read: good prices). There will be a development announcement with partners later today.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/long-sought-downtown-tucson-grocery-on-the-way/article_9f8162b1-d72a-5cf9-80bc-a8859659e6ba.html

Ted Lyons
Apr 17, 2014, 6:38 PM
Grocery store coming to downtown. This is a really good development, hopefully catering to a more general audience that Maynards Market. This needs to work for students and general residents (read: good prices). There will be a development announcement with partners later today.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/long-sought-downtown-tucson-grocery-on-the-way/article_9f8162b1-d72a-5cf9-80bc-a8859659e6ba.html

Maynard's doesn't really offer groceries anymore anyway, so we had a total void downtown.

After reading this article, I did some internet sleuthing and stumbled across a few things. First is the real estate listing for Gibson Court, which includes the new store location: http://s.lnimg.com/attachments/A/3/6/A36F7C3D-0517-4D5C-A0B3-B8D1040237E6.pdf

Some pictures from the listing:

http://i.imgur.com/LdR3Slx.png

http://i.imgur.com/QaR7XjA.png

Second are the FORS plans for the courtyard area, which were submitted last week: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/PRO/Command?command=SearchSire&actno=T14SA00089&sirecabinet=P&streetno=11.0&streetdir=S%20&streetnm=6TH%20AV%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&struct=&floor=&unit=&SearchButton=AssociatedDocumentsandPlans (I hope that link works.)

Some pictures from the plans:

http://i.imgur.com/lpqtvjt.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/fterTAh.png?1

As best as I can tell, the signs on the renderings are just examples. I looked up the names and they are for restaurants in San Diego and Seattle.

The last thing I found was this Cushman & Wakefield listing for "Gibson Court" at 121 East Broadway, which is currently Shot in the Dark Cafe: http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/Profile.aspx?LID=18520205. The full "Gibson Court" flyer does not list 121 as one of the properties available for lease, so this must be a new addition.

farmerk
Apr 17, 2014, 11:43 PM

Wow! Thanks for posting this great news! They picked a very good location too. I hope more groceries (and high rise apts/condos) will follow :tup:

According to KOLD (http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/25279019/downtown-tucson-gets-first-grocery-store), the prices will be lower and will 'have outdoor seating, European style displays which will stretch on to the sidewalk'

andrewsaturn
Apr 18, 2014, 5:25 AM

I was happy to read about this earlier today!! I hope we can make the best of this location and I know it will be because Rincon Market is such a successful Tucson grocery store and it seems like the owners have a good proposal coming into this being that there's a story/history being weaved into it as well. :rolleyes: :tup:

cdsuofa
Apr 18, 2014, 5:56 AM
hopefully a CVS type store is soon to follow and then Downtown will be set to attract urban residents and residential developments hopefuly things like medium rise apartment or condos

farmerk
Apr 21, 2014, 11:17 AM
More hints of downtown redevelopment moving forward ...

Hotel requirement dropped from Rio Nuevo mandate (http://azstarnet.com/business/hotel-requirement-dropped-from-rio-nuevo-mandate/article_e6d3838f-fa91-5e19-8495-2f6080f4e363.html)

City hopes to market failed downtown-area redevelopment site (http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/city-hopes-to-market-failed-downtown-area-redevelopment-site/article_3f9a2fe2-8db7-5e08-92ef-5fa99fe2d44e.html)

Wished they'd build 5+ floor buildings in this development - 2,500 homes planned at Wilmot, Interstate 10 (http://azstarnet.com/real-estate/homes-planned-at-wilmot-interstate/article_ece9f605-6d44-5eb3-b07d-fcee9c9e28e4.html)

Patrick S
Apr 22, 2014, 4:57 AM
More hints of downtown redevelopment moving forward ...

Hotel requirement dropped from Rio Nuevo mandate (http://azstarnet.com/business/hotel-requirement-dropped-from-rio-nuevo-mandate/article_e6d3838f-fa91-5e19-8495-2f6080f4e363.html)

City hopes to market failed downtown-area redevelopment site (http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/city-hopes-to-market-failed-downtown-area-redevelopment-site/article_3f9a2fe2-8db7-5e08-92ef-5fa99fe2d44e.html)

Wished they'd build 5+ floor buildings in this development - 2,500 homes planned at Wilmot, Interstate 10 (http://azstarnet.com/real-estate/homes-planned-at-wilmot-interstate/article_ece9f605-6d44-5eb3-b07d-fcee9c9e28e4.html)
Here's some more on the community planned by I-10 and Wilmot (and Kolb), called La Estancia: http://realestatedaily-news.com/development-leader-sunbelt-holdings-buys-la-estancia-for-17-1-m/

This is the second foray into the Tucson market for the developer, Sunbelt Holdings, from Scottsdale. The first is at a place called Sendero Pass, which is out by Valencia and Ajo, just southwest of Tucson. Here's some links about this development: http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/construction_real_estate/old-sendero-pass-development-gets-new-life/article_a61b9856-069c-11e2-b1f2-001a4bcf887a.html

http://www.landadvisors.com/pdf/AZPM01106-103086.pdf

http://webcms.pima.gov/UserFiles/Servers/Server_6/File/Government/Development%20Services/Land%20Planning%20and%20Regulation/Current%20Planning%20Tab/Sendero%20Pass[1].pdf

Patrick S
Apr 22, 2014, 5:00 AM
A company, that does plumbing, HVAC, and water works that has been servicing Tucson out of the Phoenix area is opening up a branch down here that will employ 60 by the end of 2014 and hopes to employ another 60 within 2 years: http://azstarnet.com/business/local/new-distribution-company-in-tucson-adding-jobs/article_e26fc52b-bb3a-576c-9d53-99118e8b1a10.html

Ted Lyons
Apr 23, 2014, 10:06 PM
First I've heard of this but it explains the demolition permit requests for the buildings currently on the property.

Proposed hotel near campus stirs controversy

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2014/04/proposed-hotel-near-campus-stirs-controversy

http://media.azw.s3.amazonaws.com/20190_n42314hotelcourtesyrgbf.jpg

A local architect and members of a historic zone advisory board are at odds about a proposal to build a hotel near the UA.

. . .

Kozachik said he thinks the council has to sit down with the Tucson Historic Preservation Foundation and with the West University Neighborhood Association to talk about the possibilities of designing a hotel in a way that preserves the historic properties rather than demolishing them.

“[The developers] got a real significant uphill battle on this one from the standpoint of process if they’re going to come in and propose that they’re going to demolish any or all of those homes,” Kozachik said.

. . .

While the buildings are probably important to some people, Vint added, he hopes people will also become attached to the hotel if the proposal passes.

“Tucson needs to continue to grow and change,” Vint said. “It is not 1935 anymore; everything around these buildings [has] changed, and now it’s time to improve.”

Wonder what the material is on the side of the building. Regardless, I'm sick of seeing exposed floors.

Schaeffa
Apr 23, 2014, 11:43 PM
First I've heard of this but it explains the demolition permit requests for the buildings currently on the property.

“[The developers] got a real significant uphill battle on this one from the standpoint of process if they’re going to come in and propose that they’re going to demolish any or all of those homes,” Kozachik said.

. . .

While the buildings are probably important to some people, Vint added, he hopes people will also become attached to the hotel if the proposal passes.

Wonder what the material is on the side of the building. Regardless, I'm sick of seeing exposed floors.

Yes, it sure would be a shame to get rid of this (http://oi62.tinypic.com/2qjhglu.jpg)... </sarcasm>
I'm not a huge fan of that hotel's design with that color and the exposed floors, but I do think it's leaps and bounds better than the buildings that are standing there now.
I mean, I'm all for keeping the character of old buildings and whatnot, but the building has to have other words associated with it besides dilapidated.

combusean
Apr 24, 2014, 1:43 AM
^ The building on the left has good bones--classic street front retail structures like that are too rare in Arizona. The building on the right would be no big loss as there's no streetfront interaction anyways.

InTheBurbs
Apr 24, 2014, 2:26 AM

Not a huge fan of the design. Looks out of date already. And I wonder why all the windows are angled to the south. Not very efficient in the desert, and I'm guessing not much of a view from that angle either, except maybe for downtown. Seems like facing north towards the mountains would make more sense.

aznate27
Apr 24, 2014, 3:45 AM

Oh wow, that is one ugly design. I mean it's 2014 and that is the best they could come up with?? It already looks dated...it's so ugly to me, I hope it doesn't get built.

Ted Lyons
Apr 24, 2014, 3:53 AM
The angles are obviously a bit different, but it reminds me of Steward Observatory in the worst way possible.

http://i.imgur.com/hYymJNu.png

farmerk
Apr 25, 2014, 12:52 AM
"Tucson needs to continue to grow and change,” Vint said. “It is not 1935 anymore; everything around these buildings [has] changed, and now it’s time to improve."

And it ain't the 1960's. Almost had a heart attack looking at that photo.

Thirsty
Apr 25, 2014, 2:10 AM
The property is backed up against a parking garage, with modern apartments to the south. Like Combusean says, the North structure has good bones. But even if it were rehabilitated it just wouldn't fit anymore (or much longer anyhow).

The design of this hotel is WAY MORE WORRISOME than the buildings they want to raze. Reminds me of...
http://emcs.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/0020_UofA_main_library1.jpg

farmerk
Apr 26, 2014, 11:11 PM
It's been awhile since someone posted photo updates of new developments downtown. Was there around 11am and there was quite a number of foot traffic. I wished I had my camera and posted photos...so , if any of you guys had a chance, please post photos of our downtown - potentially becoming the most dense area in AZ. That little block around the Hub could easily be the most modern and dense in all of AZ.

In desperation for photo updates of downtown, I found this site by accident - ILoveDowntown (http://ilovedowntown.wordpress.com/) and this (http://www.ankrommoisan.com/blog/2013/12/11/cadence-student-housing-wins-common-ground-award-best-planning-design-and) .

A quote from ILoveDowntown (http://ilovedowntown.wordpress.com/2014/03/01/yes-you-can-live-here/#comments) "On the west end, it appears that the Monier (rather than West End Station) building may be arising from the ground this year as well. Once planned as condos, this space has also been altered to become apartments."

This photo would have been nicer if the superior court buildings and Bank of America were replaced.
http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/Media/RE/580x348/65/650d23c768a44b53a2ec99b154ab8604.jpg

andrewsaturn
Apr 27, 2014, 5:28 AM
I was on Congress on Friday night and Hifi is such a great addition to downtown. It looks good and is in a great location. Plus, it definitely caters to a different audience looking for an upscale sports bar. Playground was the first one and the World of Beer kind of gives that vibe as well. You would think that one place would steal customers from the other but it gets busy enough that people migrate to the different bars and no one loses. Congress street is becoming more like the new modern place to hang out but when you go under the bridge to 4th ave, it has a different vibe and it can cater to a different audience.

andrewsaturn
Apr 27, 2014, 5:31 AM
It's been awhile since someone posted photo updates of new developments downtown. Was there around 11am and there was quite a number of foot traffic. I wished I had my camera and posted photos...so , if any of you guys had a chance, please post photos of our downtown - potentially becoming the most dense area in AZ. That little block around the Hub could easily be the most modern and dense in all of AZ.

In desperation for photo updates of downtown, I found this site by accident - ILoveDowntown (http://ilovedowntown.wordpress.com/) and this (http://www.ankrommoisan.com/blog/2013/12/11/cadence-student-housing-wins-common-ground-award-best-planning-design-and) .

A quote from ILoveDowntown (http://ilovedowntown.wordpress.com/2014/03/01/yes-you-can-live-here/#comments) "On the west end, it appears that the Monier (rather than West End Station) building may be arising from the ground this year as well. Once planned as condos, this space has also been altered to become apartments."

This photo would have been nicer if the superior court buildings and Bank of America were replaced.
http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/Media/RE/580x348/65/650d23c768a44b53a2ec99b154ab8604.jpg

Yes! we need to post new pictures of the 4th ave underpass and Congress st. intersection. I would but I don't have a good camera.

farmerk
Apr 27, 2014, 5:01 PM
I was on Congress on Friday night and Hifi is such a great addition to downtown. It looks good and is in a great location. Plus, it definitely caters to a different audience looking for an upscale sports bar. Playground was the first one and the World of Beer kind of gives that vibe as well. You would think that one place would steal customers from the other but it gets busy enough that people migrate to the different bars and no one loses. Congress street is becoming more like the new modern place to hang out but when you go under the bridge to 4th ave, it has a different vibe and it can cater to a different audience.

I agree. Variety is what the old pueblo needs.

I like to add, the Bridges added more roads, the small retail constructions are done and trees by the sidewalk are growing nicely. Can't wait for the rest of it.

I had a feeling Tucson will have something like this...the current El Rio golf course would be a nice spot for this.
http://images.budgettravel.com/my-take-base-of-eiffel-tower-paris-10122012-115530_panoramic.jpeg

Thirsty
Apr 27, 2014, 8:58 PM
Google's streetview has a new function where you can look at streetviews from years past.

Pretty cool feature along Congress where can go back to 2007, and see the progress year by year. The latest one is dated July 2013.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.222053,-110.9678,3a,75y,261.34h,72.44t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPi__308OetEPTSA5wQ20mw!2e0

Patrick S
Apr 28, 2014, 6:05 AM
Came across an interesting site: http://azplanningcenter.com/our-portfolio/

It has renderings of the new subdivision that was in the paper last week at Wilmot & I-10, and the proposed commercial/residential PAD at Golf Links & Houghton that I posted on a couple weeks ago, but the parts I really liked were titled, "Imagine Greater Tucson Visualization" and "Tucson Modern Streetcar Land Use Plan..." which showed a much denser Tucson that we're accustomed to seeing.

aznate27
Apr 28, 2014, 3:16 PM
Came across an interesting site: http://azplanningcenter.com/our-portfolio/

It has renderings of the new subdivision that was in the paper last week at Wilmot & I-10, and the proposed commercial/residential PAD at Golf Links & Houghton that I posted on a couple weeks ago, but the parts I really liked were titled, "Imagine Greater Tucson Visualization" and "Tucson Modern Streetcar Land Use Plan..." which showed a much denser Tucson that we're accustomed to seeing.

Cool website, but the "Imagine Greater Tucson Visualization" will never happen unless the economy gets back to the levels we saw during the Cliton administration, which I seriously doubt we'll see for a long time. But it's nice to dream about... I do think it looks too much like Phoenix though.

Ted Lyons
Apr 29, 2014, 1:55 AM
Been out of town for a few days but, on my way out, I noticed a sign for Fired Pie in the windows of the commercial space at The Cadence on the south side of Congress.

http://firedpie.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/fired-pie-phoenix

Looks like it's a fast casual pizza place from Phoenix. On Yelp, people equated it to the pizza version of Chipotle - 11" pizzas are $7.75 with whatever toppings you want. Reviews were pretty good and it seems to target a different pricepoint than Reilly, Bianco, and even Cartel, so I think it should do well in that space, especially if they have late hours on Thursday through Saturday.

Patrick S
Apr 29, 2014, 2:24 AM
Looks like they may finally start putting some housing up in the Bridges Project (which also includes the Bio-Science Park and the Tucson Marketplace), specifically the part west of Park Ave.: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/PRO/Command?command=SearchSire&Permit_Number=S11-043&doc_type=Plans&doc_id=2882930&calledFromJsp=SireFolderDisplay&SearchButton=View+Files

Patrick S
May 1, 2014, 3:34 AM
Couple of interesting articles:

Streetcar start date announced (http://www.jrn.com/kgun9/news/Streetcar-start-date-announced-256792131.html)

Rebirth of downtown pulling in new, young urban dwellers (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/rebirth-of-downtown-pulling-in-new-young-urban-dwellers/article_4f595464-d0ca-11e3-8186-001a4bcf887a.html)

ComplotDesigner
May 1, 2014, 6:00 PM
22nd Street & Kino Parkway: 05-01-14

http://i.imgur.com/5cWTS9a.jpg

farmerk
May 2, 2014, 7:28 AM
ComplotD, thanks for posting that photo. Never thought I'd see that type of construction in the middle of Tucson.

I wished another one on Grant-Kolb. It's been debated before but I really think Tucson needs one along with light rail, bike paths and high speed rail between Tucson-Phx-Vegas-LA-San Diego.

cdsuofa
May 2, 2014, 2:52 PM
The problems the hotel is running into just reminds me of so many other Tucson developments that were road blocked by a neighborhood's sentimentality towards the way things were. I don't see Tucsonan's lining up to take tours of these "historic homes". While I agree that parts of historic downtown Tucson should be preserved we cannot continue to make development such a pain in the A for private developers that eventually they just say forget it. Lets be honest that area west of the University but east of Euclid is not a historic neighborhood anymore it is such a mix of old and new at this point and is continuing to change so why are we giving this hotel, a private investment into our city, so much trouble. The only debate needs to be about the ugly design of the thing lol

cdsuofa
May 2, 2014, 3:02 PM
I agree. Variety is what the old pueblo needs.

I like to add, the Bridges added more roads, the small retail constructions are done and trees by the sidewalk are growing nicely. Can't wait for the rest of it.

I had a feeling Tucson will have something like this...the current El Rio golf course would be a nice spot for this.
http://images.budgettravel.com/my-take-base-of-eiffel-tower-paris-10122012-115530_panoramic.jpeg

I would love to see Tucson with a large urban garden style park (no sports fields or anything) and a signature structure that is architecturally unique and compliments the skyline and will make people remember Tucson. That picture just reminded me how important those things are to Cities.

farmerk
May 3, 2014, 5:37 PM
I would love to see Tucson with a large urban garden style park (no sports fields or anything) and a signature structure that is architecturally unique and compliments the skyline and will make people remember Tucson. That picture just reminded me how important those things are to Cities.

I admire your common sense. Cost to build the Eiffel Tower in today's dollars - $34 million in 2007 $$$ (http://historical.whatitcosts.com/facts-eiffel-tower-pg2.htm) .

Funds could be paid by telecommunications companies (just like the Tokyo tower), admissions to enter tower, restaurant space, taxes and fees from surrounding buildings around it, etc... The taller the tower, the better. That should draw more taller structures (attraction to build a non-local commercial grade 3+ star hotel) around it. It should also draw world wide attention.

The morons against Grand Canyon University want to turn El Rio Golf into a park. Let's have a park with an Eiffel Tower (something like that).

Tucson's 'A' mountain isn't a tourist draw. I'm sorry but it's not an attractive 'mountain'. The barrios and historic neighborhoods won't and hasn't attract enough tourist (as claimed by the moronic neighborhood associations. if that were the case there would be more tourist in those neighborhoods 24/7...one of the things these idiots are against). Artificial lake? Good luck with that in this desert.

Despite all the constructions we see around downtown and the U of A, Tucson still hasn't moved forward economically compared to other cities. Tucson needs to speed up urbanizing central Tucson and attract the young entrepreneurs from San Francisco/Silicon Valley and NYC to come here.

cdsuofa
May 4, 2014, 4:55 AM
I admire your common sense. Cost to build the Eiffel Tower in today's dollars - $34 million in 2007 $$$ (http://historical.whatitcosts.com/facts-eiffel-tower-pg2.htm) .

Funds could be paid by telecommunications companies (just like the Tokyo tower), admissions to enter tower, restaurant space, taxes and fees from surrounding buildings around it, etc... The taller the tower, the better. That should draw more taller structures (attraction to build a non-local commercial grade 3+ star hotel) around it. It should also draw world wide attention.

The morons against Grand Canyon University want to turn El Rio Golf into a park. Let's have a park with an Eiffel Tower (something like that).

Tucson's 'A' mountain isn't a tourist draw. I'm sorry but it's not an attractive 'mountain'. The barrios and historic neighborhoods won't and hasn't attract enough tourist (as claimed by the moronic neighborhood associations. if that were the case there would be more tourist in those neighborhoods 24/7...one of the things these idiots are against). Artificial lake? Good luck with that in this desert.

Despite all the constructions we see around downtown and the U of A, Tucson still hasn't moved forward economically compared to other cities. Tucson needs to speed up urbanizing central Tucson and attract the young entrepreneurs from San Francisco/Silicon Valley and NYC to come here.

Well put.
I always thought Sentinel Peak and Tuahomoc hill and the large amount of land surrounding them would make a great location for a Portland style, Downtown Adjacent garden/natural park. We recently found out how difficult it would be to do anything to El Rio Golf course and that location (sent/tuahmoc) would be perfect to compliment residential developments on the west part of I-10 ("Mission District") and might even raise property value and allow for re development of oh so historic, poverty ridden, gang and crime infested Menlo Park.

Ritarancher
May 4, 2014, 8:23 AM
All Tucson needs to do is attract Elon Musk. Afterwards our problems will start to solve themselves.

farmerk
May 5, 2014, 12:46 AM
All Tucson needs to do is attract Elon Musk. Afterwards our problems will start to solve themselves.

According to this source (http://www.hngn.com/articles/30333/20140502/elon-musk-announces-tesla-giga-battery-factorys-two-new-sites.htm) :

Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla Motors Inc., is set to name two sites for the company's Giga factory

"What we're going to do is move forward with more than one state, at least two, all the way to breaking ground, just in case there are last-minute issues," Musk said

Maybe, Tucson has a chance. It's been awhile since Tucson has a large manufacturing plant...Raytheon or formerly Hughes was the last and only one since the 50's (?). From my understanding , Howard Hughes picked Tucson because it helps him with his asthma.

This will be game changer, definitely. I hope the other half of Tesla gigafactory moves within Tucson proper.

ComplotDesigner
May 5, 2014, 10:15 PM
From AZATHLETICS: McKale Center Renovation.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bm5zMsGCUAEafAV.jpg

sh9730
May 7, 2014, 10:28 PM
RE: GIGAFACTORY

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk said Wednesday evening he hopes to break ground on the company's first Gigafactory as early as next month, but that the company is still deciding where to do so.

In the firm's Q1 earnings call, Musk also added California is now back in the mix of potential sites for the battery factory, but added it may be too late. Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas are all said to be in the running.
- See more at: http://trendingnewsroom.com/readfeed/137518/qa/tesla-will-probably-break-ground-on-its-first-gigafactory-next-month-but-still-won-t-say-where#sthash.q8MOH6F0.dpuf

This guy sure knows how to play the games! Now California is back in?!

At least according to him we wont have much longer to wait to find out....

farmerk
May 7, 2014, 11:44 PM
RE: GIGAFACTORY

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk said Wednesday evening he hopes to break ground on the company's first Gigafactory as early as next month, but that the company is still deciding where to do so.

In the firm's Q1 earnings call, Musk also added California is now back in the mix of potential sites for the battery factory, but added it may be too late. Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas are all said to be in the running.
- See more at: http://trendingnewsroom.com/readfeed/137518/qa/tesla-will-probably-break-ground-on-its-first-gigafactory-next-month-but-still-won-t-say-where#sthash.q8MOH6F0.dpuf

This guy sure knows how to play the games! Now California is back in?!

At least according to him we wont have much longer to wait to find out....

Another article, http://www.rgj.com/story/money/business/2014/05/07/road-landing-teslas-gigafactory/8800991/ .

I've read that New Mexico was the front runner for the Tesla car manufacturing plant back in 2007 until a last minute change to Fremont, CA. You're right , Elon is playing chess

ProfessorMole
May 9, 2014, 4:06 PM
The webcam for the McKale Reno is up on the PDC website.

McKale Webcam (http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/webcam/mckale.aspx)

Seats are already torn out. They aren't messing around.

farmerk
May 11, 2014, 9:23 PM
I got a bit of a hint of good news starting at about the 20 min 55 sec of this video at AZ Illustrated (https://www.azpm.org/p/home-featured/2014/5/9/34948-az-illustrated-politics-friday-may-9-2014/) . The hint coming from Steve K's mouth regarding a proposal of high end housing and retail mixed used at Campbell and Speedway - sounds like another 'high rise' (or hopefully more) in the making.

There's also talk about the future of the strip of Broadway Rd between downtown and Country Club such that if the COT opt for four lanes, this project would likely be killed because RTA and Pima County would pull funding for that project should it stick with the four lane plan - I hope City Of Tucson doesn't screw this up.

Thirsty
May 12, 2014, 3:13 AM
I wonder if the university is offering up the NW corner. You could build bigger and taller on that corner (more land, no neighbors) and it is a better spot for students (underpass & trolley).

Ted Lyons
May 12, 2014, 4:18 AM
I wonder if the university is offering up the NW corner. You could build bigger and taller on that corner (more land, no neighbors) and it is a better spot for students (underpass & trolley).

Tried searching the neighborhood association pages for Jefferson Park, Blenman-Elm, and Sam Hughes and couldn't find anything. In any case, the developer who worked with Whole Foods on both of their new stores talked awhile ago about redeveloping the Palm Shadows site. I'm sure that's what was being referenced.

Ted Lyons
May 12, 2014, 5:09 AM
Upon further review, I bet it was the North University Neighborhood Association. Of course, they have no web presence.

ComplotDesigner
May 13, 2014, 6:26 PM
Some of you may have noticed it already, and thought about taking some quick pics on my way to work.

Some construction going on at El Con Mall

http://i.imgur.com/6jEacv4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IDZBdUH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Dhc8UBP.jpg

Ted Lyons
May 13, 2014, 6:41 PM
The building next to Claim Jumper is going to be a Mattress Firm. The lot across from Starbuck's is evidently this: http://www.cheddars.com/

Qwijib0
May 14, 2014, 12:44 AM
The building next to Claim Jumper is going to be a Mattress Firm. The lot across from Starbuck's is evidently this: http://www.cheddars.com/

Claim jumper is rarely busy, I wonder how it will do.