PDA

View Full Version : Tucson Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85

Ted Lyons
Feb 22, 2016, 3:38 PM
Chaffin's is actually already looking better. I was amazed to see how much of the original structure had been covered up.

farmerk
Feb 24, 2016, 2:13 PM
Vacant westside Tucson land could soon be handed to Rio Nuevo (http://www.kvoa.com/story/31297437/vacant-westside-tucson-land-could-soon-be-handed-to-rio-nuevo)

TUCSON - A fifteen acre patch of unused land west of downtown Tucson is once again in the spotlight. For years the space near the Mercado San Augustin has sat empty.

Now there’s a new push to get it developed.

"It's nice to have this kind of development here on this side of town," said Mercado San Augustin visitor, Dennis Bergquist.

The open air market is home to cafes and shops, like Mellow Lund's boutique 'Mast.'

From her corner unit, she can see even more space sitting vacant across the street, land just waiting for development. She says she's OK with it if it takes awhile for construction to begin.

“I’d rather it be done thoughtfully and with good aesthetics than something that just gets slapped up because it can."

Originally the developer, Gadsden Company, had planned to build 160 houses and a parking garage in the area. But a down economy stalled development, and now the bonds are up.

"It’s sad really, it needs to be built up and used," said Vonnie Bergquist, another Mercado San Augustin visitor.

The City of Tucson is considering handing its stake in the west side property over to the Rio Nuevo Downtown Development and Revitalization District.

Rio Nuevo has offered to pay the city for what it is due in exchange for the land, and then cut its own deal with Gadsden.

"I’m very excited about it. I think it's a great move and I think that it's going to move forward," said Lund.

If the project still does not produce, Council Member Steve Kozachik says Rio Nuevo could take over as sole owner of the property

http://www.kvoa.com/story/31297437/vacant-westside-tucson-land-could-soon-be-handed-to-rio-nuevo

Ted Lyons
Mar 2, 2016, 3:43 PM
Plans for the Monier apartments were submitted on Monday. No documents uploaded to PRO yet, though.

crzyabe
Mar 2, 2016, 5:00 PM
Plans for the Monier apartments were submitted on Monday. No documents uploaded to PRO yet, though.

Do you think it is really happening? I know the rumor is that funding was found, but I am always suspicious

Ted Lyons
Mar 2, 2016, 8:20 PM
Do you think it is really happening? I know the rumor is that funding was found, but I am always suspicious

Construction permits have an expiration date, so this seems pretty serious.

kmiller5
Mar 3, 2016, 3:40 PM
I was over at La Placita yesterday and was told tenants will be shut down soon to prepare for demolition.

Any word on the University Marriott? Construction was originally planned to start in December and still nothing is going on over there.

InTheBurbs
Mar 3, 2016, 4:21 PM
I was over at La Placita yesterday and was told tenants will be shut down soon to prepare for demolition.

Have they submitted plans for the lot, or are they going to tear it down first and then decided what to do? Given the track record of some downtown developers this could be another Thrifty block, vacant for years, but much larger.

Or potentially worse, they are just planning on throwing up some 3-story suburban apartment complex in the middle of downtown.

Also, any reason why they haven't done anything with Hotel Arizona/Holiday Inn/Raddison? Is it really in that bad shape that it couldn't be renovated? Given that they turned the Plaza into an Aloft, I would think that something could be done with it.

Azstar
Mar 3, 2016, 5:29 PM
Everyone I know in the business community agrees it's very difficult to get anything done here. The local developers don't have the resources, and major out of town money is not interested in taking on the huge risks involved with development here. Remember the Portland development company that was going to be involved with the Martin Luther King apartments and the Rialto? They took off running back to Portland within 6 months of arriving. The City Council usually makes the process much more cumbersome and difficult than necessary, and Karen Uhlich has demanded developers set as much as 30% of their projects for low income and subsidized housing. Remember Stone/Speedway empty lots? No developer is going to invest millions of dollars when they realize those conditions will guarantee the project is unprofitable. I would be thrilled if even half the downtown projects being considered right now make it to the development stage.

Ted Lyons
Mar 3, 2016, 7:16 PM
Renderings have been posted for the Westerner project at 10 E. Broadway. My only beef is the west facing elevation of the new 6-story structure. Looks prison-like.

EDIT: The top rendering has been superceded by the other renderings, which is unfortunate, IMO.

http://i.imgur.com/YNWY6yq.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/4qFcDzF.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/om3GUsH.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/udMiKhI.png?1

Ted Lyons
Mar 7, 2016, 7:51 PM
A chain out of Florida that recently got into the franchise game is converting the former gas station on the northeast corner of University and 4th into a restaurant.

http://i.imgur.com/UKzbuHX.png?1

http://jimmyhulas.com/

Yelp reviews seem pretty solid although I'm not sure how well a chain will do there.

combusean
Mar 7, 2016, 8:53 PM
That addition looks terrible. I would expect that sort of thing to be the "before" picture, not after.

Ted Lyons
Mar 9, 2016, 3:19 PM
http://tiboaz.biz/2016/03/08/florida-based-chain-restaurant-hoping-to-move-onto-4th-ave/

Who are the "many . . . concerned" (yet uncited) business owners?

Thirsty
Mar 10, 2016, 1:26 AM
http://tiboaz.biz/2016/03/08/florida-based-chain-restaurant-hoping-to-move-onto-4th-ave/

Who are the "many . . . concerned" (yet uncited) business owners?

Dairy Queen, Bison Witches, Hippie Gypsy are all chains. The Maloney's near ASU and NAU had a similar vibe, that my be a chain too.

I think it's OK to distinguish between Chipotles or Burger Kings and something like a Chiba Hut or Silver Mine. Those are college town franchises, and mostly regional. Not a big threat to the appeal of 4th Ave.

Besides, I can't imagine that concept will thrive here.

southtucsonboy77
Mar 10, 2016, 3:26 PM
The Westerner...I have to say its an improvement, however perspective-wise...look at its current state. That first rendering is okay, it has windows on the western wall. A little resemblance to the Federal Court house on Granada/Congress, but its alright. If the 2nd rendering(s) are the most current...I don't know what to think. What pool of architects do these downtown developers pull from? These reciprocal architects steal/borrow and are inspired by too many architectural features of other buildings in downtown...and they are not always the best features. Why can't we have new, slick, modern buildings like Austin, Texas or other parts of the country? As CRITICAL our fellow Tucsonans can be...its amazing how these guys put this stuff out. Overall, I'm glad they are putting in more density. I read somewhere that they could have gone as high as 12 stories, so I'm curious to know the details behind the decision to go 6.

farmerk
Mar 14, 2016, 1:40 AM
Not impressed with the Westerner Project renderings. They should've hired the architects who renovated the Aloft Hotel. Sad. And so goes Tucson's obsession with the past when other cities are moving forward toward the future.

Tucson's Motto - Keep it ugly Tucson!

kmiller5
Mar 17, 2016, 4:01 PM
Looks like the Stone Avenue Homes project started today. Crews are removing the pavement as I type.

crzyabe
Mar 17, 2016, 5:52 PM
Looks like the Stone Avenue Homes project started today. Crews are removing the pavement as I type.

Have they released any floor plans or additional details? All i have seen is that elevation that has been floating around

kmiller5
Mar 18, 2016, 3:02 PM
Have they released any floor plans or additional details? All i have seen is that elevation that has been floating around

I haven't seen anything. I'm not connected or plugged-in at all, I can just see the site from my office.

Patrick S
Mar 19, 2016, 12:10 AM
I haven't seen anything. I'm not connected or plugged-in at all, I can just see the site from my office.
My office is right by there too. I used to park in that parking lot before they fenced it off. Then we moved behind the Scottish Temple before they fenced that off. Now we're next to the Scottish Temple.

cdsuofa
Mar 19, 2016, 4:57 AM
Here is their full development plan they submitted to the city. Has a lot more info, ground floor = parking and foyer, second floor = living and kitchen, third floor = bedrooms.
http://tucson.siretechnologies.com/SIREPub/cache/2/4376708C2C32C3925D4533FEC3333333737337545425545447/699354803182016095518871.pdf

crzyabe
Mar 21, 2016, 8:34 PM
In regards to the Stone Avenue Homes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXrkmDK51-A

Qwijib0
Mar 28, 2016, 5:47 PM
Broadway 30% alignment is out: http://broadwayboulevard.info/planning

I made an album of the buildings that would be demolished: http://imgur.com/a/b1CdL Just over half appear to be architecturally significant, and of that half only about half again appear to have been taken care of. None of them were identified as the only example of their type in the historic inventory.

I'm pretty happy with this potential outcome. The CTF managed to talk the RTA off an 8-lane 150' road into a variable-width 6-lane with bus pullouts, bike lanes and landscaped sidewalks. The road will be curved to avoid almost all of the historically significant buildings and will end up mostly just swiping parking lots in front of buildings-- making them even more accessible to pedestrians and cyclists. Because of the added lane, in the future it will be easier to add BRT or rail down broadway and connect with the transit lane that already exists starting at country club.

crzyabe
Mar 28, 2016, 10:31 PM
I am hearing about a 10-12 house development at 17th and Stone, West of the Jewish Museum. It is called Mordasini Villas. I dont have much information other than that. Nice infill location, hopefully they are nice homes.

Ted Lyons
Mar 29, 2016, 4:02 AM
I am hearing about a 10-12 house development at 17th and Stone, West of the Jewish Museum. It is called Mordasini Villas. I dont have much information other than that. Nice infill location, hopefully they are nice homes.

Could it be the same as the Russell Townhomes at 16th and Stone? I can't find anything active at 17th.

Azstar
Mar 29, 2016, 2:48 PM

It is being developed by my neighbor who owns the property. I saw preliminary plans for the two story "villas", as they are being called. Architect is Corky Poster. Project is tentative, and although I'm really hoping it happens, the new townhomes on 21st offered for sale late last year have not sold a single one. And, they're really beautiful. Demand for downtown housing seems pretty weak. There are a lot of homes which have been on the market for almost a year, and a few that have been on the market for over 5 years.

crzyabe
Mar 29, 2016, 3:16 PM
It is being developed by my neighbor who owns the property. I saw preliminary plans for the two story "villas", as they are being called. Architect is Corky Poster. Project is tentative, and although I'm really hoping it happens, the new townhomes on 21st offered for sale late last year have not sold a single one. And, they're really beautiful. Demand for downtown housing seems pretty weak. There are a lot of homes which have been on the market for almost a year, and a few that have been on the market for over 5 years.

My wife and I are actively looking to move downtown. We had our hearts set on Mercado, but the prices are a little out of our budget. Those houses seem to be selling well. I watch a few to see if the price will drop, but the houses sell before any significant price drop.

We also looked at the houses on 21st. Those are nice houses and at a reasonable price. However, we need a two car garage and most of those have only a single parking space. That is actually a common problem we encounter with homes downtown - one car garages or a single parking place. We discussed this with the agent selling the houses on 21st. He said that their current plan was not to include more than one car spot for future houses, but the request for bigger garages was common. He said they may actually redesign a few of the lots they have to include more spots.

Additionally, some current homeowners and builders downtown are trying to strike it rich with the booming location. There are houses for sale in Armory Park, Presidio, etc that are going for way more money than they are worth. We have visited a few and noted that after purchase, we would need to put in 100K-150k in renovations just to modernize or resolve issues on the structure. Sellers are looking for 300-400k as a purchase price. I just don’t see that as worth it to me.

I understand the location is a driving price point but as you stated, buyers are not flocking to these homes. Now, I am thinking that we will sit tight and wait to see if there is another downturn in the economy that drives prices lower. If not, we will stay in the suburbs and drive everywhere :/

Ted Lyons
Mar 29, 2016, 3:49 PM

I definitely don't think demand for housing downtown is weak. Developers don't either. Demand for housing in the ~$500k range, however, is weak and that's what a lot of houses downtown are going for.

Those townhomes on 21st look great, but that's a bit of a hike to downtown proper. It's 1.2 miles from that address to Congress & 6th, almost all of that walk through unactivated residential. I don't even live downtown and my walk to that intersection would be 1.3 miles. The difference between the average price in my neighborhood and those townhomes is roughly $200k. That's why they're not selling.

crzyabe
Mar 29, 2016, 6:27 PM

I found the development package:
https://www.tucsonaz.gov/PRO/Command?mode=permit&firstTime=true&number_key=dp16-0008&command=InitialProcess

-Click the "Associated Documents and Plans" button
-Click the "View Files" button for the "Documents" row
-Click the "View File" button for the thrid row (1-Mordasini Villas Neighborhood Meeting 12.08.15.pdf)

This will be a presentation that shows Elevation, floor plans, lot layout, etc

Thirsty
Mar 30, 2016, 2:13 AM
I no longer live in Tucson, but checking in on what is available downtown is a monthly ritual of mine for some reason.

There are a handful of properties that have sat for years, but there is a reason. Some are half million dollar bungled remodels with laundry in the alleyway and the fridge in the living room. Others, like the mansion on 12th, I think everyone realizes will be like the old man's house in "UP" sooner or later.

Any reasonably priced property north of 5 points sells, no matter how small, old or eccentric it is.

InTheBurbs
Mar 30, 2016, 12:17 PM
More infill near UMC..

http://tucson.com/business/local/housing-development-going-up-near-arizona-inn/article_14acd49b-9a16-57fb-bd30-0ccfc80f7ceb.html

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tucson.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/17/917dcc30-44b7-5d22-a2d8-c33f984809a5/56f761536199f.image.jpg

The historic Arizona Inn is getting new neighbors.

Tucked behind a fence of oleanders north of the hotel’s parking lot, on Elm Street between Campbell Avenue and Tucson Boulevard, luxury housing is under development.

Called Casa Seton, the project consists of 11 single-story Spanish Colonial homes, matching the architecture of the Arizona Inn, said Jose Ceja, principal architect with Exa Architects. The models are between 2,500 and 3,500 square feet and include three-car garages. Prices will range between $775,000 and $1.1 million.

farmerk
Mar 31, 2016, 10:37 AM
10 Before-and-After Photos Showcase Tucson’s Stunning Transformation (http://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental-market/10-before-and-after-photos-showcase-tucson-s-stunning-transformation/)

southtucsonboy77
Apr 1, 2016, 3:22 PM
My wife and I are actively looking to move downtown. We had our hearts set on Mercado, but the prices are a little out of our budget. Those houses seem to be selling well. I watch a few to see if the price will drop, but the houses sell before any significant price drop.

We also looked at the houses on 21st. Those are nice houses and at a reasonable price. However, we need a two car garage and most of those have only a single parking space. That is actually a common problem we encounter with homes downtown - one car garages or a single parking place. We discussed this with the agent selling the houses on 21st. He said that their current plan was not to include more than one car spot for future houses, but the request for bigger garages was common. He said they may actually redesign a few of the lots they have to include more spots.

Additionally, some current homeowners and builders downtown are trying to strike it rich with the booming location. There are houses for sale in Armory Park, Presidio, etc that are going for way more money than they are worth. We have visited a few and noted that after purchase, we would need to put in 100K-150k in renovations just to modernize or resolve issues on the structure. Sellers are looking for 300-400k as a purchase price. I just don’t see that as worth it to me.

I understand the location is a driving price point but as you stated, buyers are not flocking to these homes. Now, I am thinking that we will sit tight and wait to see if there is another downturn in the economy that drives prices lower. If not, we will stay in the suburbs and drive everywhere :/

I've been in the same boat. My wife is a RN and I'm a Planner...2 professionals and 3 years ago we peeked into the downtown market and the cost for a DECENT home was laughable. The only thing affordable were homes visually similar to the Munsters or Addams Family.

We decided to move NW in Continental Ranch off of I-10 and accessible to the 104 Express bus. We built some equity and we have a (now) 4 1/2 year plan to look into the downtown market again. Will there be some affordable housing by then? We're not picky either...we'll look at condos, townhomes, westside, Armory Park...but if middle-class families like us can't afford a home downtown, or choose to not pay $300-$500K, then all this non-student "housing" development is just a BUBBLE. It's a mirage of progress due to investors who will be buying but won't be living there.

Qwijib0
Apr 12, 2016, 5:34 PM
TIA Renovation imminent:

https://news.azpm.org/p/local-news/2016/4/10/85640-28-million-renovation-at-tucson-international-airport-will-begin-this-summer/

A major revamp of Tucson International Airport’s security and departure areas will start in June.

The security checkpoints, now located in the center of each concourse, will be moved to the outer edges of the terminal. That will open up space for more shops, restaurants and cafes in the departures area, said Mike Smejkal, director of engineering at the Tucson Airport Authority.

He said the new concessionaires will be chosen by early autumn.

"But the total project including the new concession and retail space won’t be completely done until about Thanksgiving 2017," said Smejkal.

How disruptive will the project be for people traveling through the Tucson airport in the next year and a half?

Minimal, said Smejkal.

"Most of the space that we’re doing our major infrastructure improvements on is actually empty space right now," he said. "So we just plan to put up walls around it and do the construction. And anything that’s going to be an area that actually affects the traveling public will be done at night or off-peak times."

The majority of the $28 million project will be paid with passenger facility charges. The Tucson Airport Authority will contribute the remaining $5.5 million.

Renders: http://www.flytucson.com/includes/media/docs/TUS-Terminal-Optimization-Plan-Concepts.pdf

...and you still won't be able to go from A to B behind security.

Thirsty
Apr 15, 2016, 1:03 AM
Coyotes likely to move AHL affiliate to Tucson next season
(http://arizonasports.com/story/629294/coyotes-likely-to-move-ahl-affiliate-to-tucson-next-season/)
McCusker said. “We’ve always been interested in finding a pro team but we really don’t know the status of what the Coyotes want to do.”

southtucsonboy77
Apr 15, 2016, 2:49 PM
Coyotes likely to move AHL affiliate to Tucson next season
(http://arizonasports.com/story/629294/coyotes-likely-to-move-ahl-affiliate-to-tucson-next-season/)
McCusker said. “We’ve always been interested in finding a pro team but we really don’t know the status of what the Coyotes want to do.”

The Phoenix Suns bought the NBA Developmental League team out of Bakersfield and are moving them to Prescott in their nice facility. That makes sense. No basketball team can compete with the UofA bball team.

Moving a "Triple A" type of hockey team to Tucson makes a lot of sense. I'm not a big hockey fan, but the AHL is definitely a good quality level league I'll plan on attending a few games.

Thirsty
Apr 16, 2016, 1:21 AM
The Phoenix Suns bought the NBA Developmental League team out of Bakersfield and are moving them to Prescott in their nice facility. That makes sense. No basketball team can compete with the UofA bball team.

Moving a "Triple A" type of hockey team to Tucson makes a lot of sense. I'm not a big hockey fan, but the AHL is definitely a good quality level league I'll plan on attending a few games.

Report on KOLD mentioned that a number of locker-room, medical and back office improvements would need to be made by this upcoming season's October start for this deal to be done.

Sounded like a long shot from the KOLD report.

ComplotDesigner
Apr 17, 2016, 9:38 PM
The HUB at Tucson II - 041616

http://i.imgur.com/rbOriOG.jpg

kmiller5
Apr 27, 2016, 1:08 AM
http://m.tucsonnewsnow.com/tusconnewsnow/db/330662/content/82PcWzBV

Looks like Hockey might happen, after all.

Ted Lyons
May 3, 2016, 3:57 PM
Still not ideal, but I think this is an improvement.

http://i.imgur.com/WJODzem.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/HFH4ChR.png?1

Ted Lyons
May 3, 2016, 4:10 PM
Just came across this container park development on 4th as well.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1549298_1097157533646129_5520697036556663253_n.png?oh=ed920a6ea63fa4e80d446a4bab85982f&oe=57B81C6B

https://www.facebook.com/BoxYardon4thave/timeline

Looks like we'll have two container parks in the near future, the other being a bigger venture at the Mercado.

Ted Lyons
May 3, 2016, 4:12 PM
And, wow, this is big!

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/caterpillar-inc-bringing-regional-hq-to-downtown-tucson-jobs/article_cce5e19e-10ca-11e6-8c95-a318c5316be1.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share&id=201408

Caterpillar Inc. bringing regional HQ to downtown Tucson, 600 jobs

Caterpillar Inc. is coming to downtown Tucson, bringing hundreds of six-figure jobs to the region, Arizona’s governor and local officials are expected to announce later this morning.

Between 40 and 60 employees will relocate into the county-owned building at 97 E. Congress St., while a new facility is built for Caterpillar, also be in the downtown area.

For comparison, only about 500 employees work at the TEP building.

kmiller5
May 3, 2016, 4:27 PM
And, wow, this is big!

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/caterpillar-inc-bringing-regional-hq-to-downtown-tucson-jobs/article_cce5e19e-10ca-11e6-8c95-a318c5316be1.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share&id=201408

Great news! Any idea where they will be building?

Love the container developments.

Ted Lyons
May 3, 2016, 4:46 PM

Love the container developments.

No news on the location in any of the articles I've read. I'm torn between hoping they work with the new owners of 1 South Church to ensure the second tower gets built there and hoping they build something totally separate. The parking lot across from the TEP building, which is currently slated for a city-owned garage some day, would be perfect.

EDIT - IIRC, the building proposed next to 1 South Church is projected to be full residential, so this would be separate but could expedite development there. The La Placita property would be another option.

southtucsonboy77
May 3, 2016, 4:52 PM
And, wow, this is big!

Great news!!!

Ted Lyons
May 3, 2016, 5:27 PM
More info from the Sentinel.

http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/report/050316_caterpillar/caterpillar-moving-600-jobs-regional-hq-tucson-rio-nuevo-back-50m-project/

Caterpillar moving 600 jobs, regional HQ to Tucson; Rio Nuevo to back $50M project

Taxpayers will back the $50 million project. The Rio Nuevo redevelopment district board plans to make an upfront payment of $2 million to defray the company's moving costs, and will finance, design and construct the headquarters and an attached parking garage. Caterpillar would then lease back the building. The Rio Nuevo Board is set to approve the deal at a Wednesday afternoon meeting.

Caterpillar will lease space in a county-owned building Downtown while a new structure is built on Rio Nuevo land just west of Interstate 10, officials said Tuesday.

EDIT - Again, for comparison's sake, the TEP/Unisource building cost about $60 million.

crzyabe
May 3, 2016, 8:42 PM

According to this article: "After the company constructs a new office complex on a vacant Rio Nuevo lot south of Congress Street, on the West Side"

http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/report/050316_caterpillar/caterpillar-moving-600-jobs-regional-hq-tucson-rio-nuevo-back-50m-project/

kaneui
May 3, 2016, 8:47 PM
And, wow, this is big!

This is certainly the employment shot in the arm that downtown needs to keep the momentum going on the proposed projects such as the Arena Site and Ronstadt Center redevelopment, in addition to adding lots more demand for housing downtown. (And it will probably be a windfall for The Gadsden Co. if the Caterpillar HQ is built on their land west of I-10.)

According to documents posted on Rio Nuevo's website, Caterpillar will initially have a four-year lease (plus two one-year extensions) on the 40k s.f. county building at 97 E. Congress, and may also be leasing 9k s.f. on the 11th floor of the BofA building. And Rio Nuevo's special board meeting tomorrow is solely to approve the development proposal as outlined in the Tucson Sentinel article.

If everything gets approved, this deal is definitely a game-changer for downtown that will be felt for years to come.

Ted Lyons
May 3, 2016, 9:31 PM
This is certainly the employment shot in the arm that downtown needs to keep the momentum going on the proposed projects such as the Arena Site and Ronstadt Center redevelopment, in addition to adding lots more demand for housing downtown. (And it will probably be a windfall for The Gadsden Co. if the Caterpillar HQ is built on their land west of I-10.)

According to documents posted on Rio Nuevo's website, Caterpillar will initially have a four-year lease (plus two one-year extensions) on the 40k s.f. county building at 97 E. Congress, and may also be leasing 9k s.f. on the 11th floor of the BofA building. And Rio Nuevo's special board meeting tomorrow is solely to approve the development proposal as outlined in the Tucson Sentinel article.

If everything gets approved, this deal is definitely a game-changer for downtown that will be felt for years to come.

Agreed on all counts. Gadsden and Nor-Gen have to be thrilled about this.

farmerk
May 4, 2016, 1:15 AM
OMG! There's no turning back now. Big private company moving in downtown.
I wouldn't be surprise if more (private companies) would follow!
Now, we'll start seeing taller buildings downtown.
Our dreams will finally come through!!

InTheBurbs
May 4, 2016, 3:03 AM
Good news all around and a huge boost for downtown. But don't get your hopes up for a new tower.

According to KVOA (http://www.kvoa.com/clip/12408917/caterpillar-inc-moving-surface-mining-technology-offices-to-downtown-tucson), the new building on the west side will be about 200K sf, 3 stories tall, with underground parking.

Still, it may trigger other new development downtown. And the ripple effect on retail, support services, housing, hotels, and maybe even flights and other corporate relocations, could be significant.

Patrick S
May 4, 2016, 3:53 AM
Good news all around and a huge boost for downtown. But don't get your hopes up for a new tower.

According to KVOA (http://www.kvoa.com/clip/12408917/caterpillar-inc-moving-surface-mining-technology-offices-to-downtown-tucson), the new building on the west side will be about 200K sf, 3 stories tall, with underground parking.

Still, it may trigger other new development downtown. And the ripple effect on retail, support services, housing, hotels, and maybe even flights and other corporate relocations, could be significant.
I agree that a taller building would be great, but 3 stories of a corporate headquarters is still better than an empty lot. Also agree that this should be a boon for downtown Tucson and the city as a whole. We're talking about 600 jobs paying around $90,000 each is the kind of jobs Tucson has been hoping to attract for a long time.

Obadno
May 4, 2016, 3:01 PM
I agree that a taller building would be great, but 3 stories of a corporate headquarters is still better than an empty lot. Also agree that this should be a boon for downtown Tucson and the city as a whole. We're talking about 600 jobs paying around $90,000 each is the kind of jobs Tucson has been hoping to attract for a long time.

2-3 stories with a good urban design is better than a generic office tower any day.

southtucsonboy77
May 4, 2016, 3:27 PM

I figured 3-6 stories for that area of downtown...I guess we'll know the details once the design is complete. Definitely the jobs and infill are more important than the height at this point.

Thirsty
May 5, 2016, 12:32 AM
More big relocation news... sort of. One of my favorite Tucson traditions, the outdoor movies at La Placita will be moving to the old county courthouse. That will be a beautiful setting.

I figured 3-6 stories for that area of downtown...I guess we'll know the details once the design is complete. Definitely the jobs and infill are more important than the height at this point.

They want to more in by 2020. From what I've read, it sound like fewer than 100 jobs will more here before they move into the new building. You may not see the full effect of this exiting news for a few more summers.

kaneui
May 5, 2016, 3:47 AM
So it looks like that big excavated hole on W. Cushing St. won't go to waste after all, as it will be the site of Caterpillar's new Division HQ building. (And I'm guessing that Rio Nuevo will be using all of that free landfill from the county to cover the surrounding acreage to make a very nice park adjacent to it, since the landfill remediation costs were deemed too expensive to pursue.) Plus, Caterpillar will have a modern streetcar stop right outside its front door.

Chuck Huckleberry announced on today's Buckmaster show that the first 40-60 Caterpillar employees will be moving into the 11th floor of the BofA building starting next month, while the interior configuration of the building at 97 E. Congress is being redone to accommodate 300+ more employees coming to Tucson over the next few years.

Will be interesting to see what new proposals come forward as a result of this relocation--I'm sure we'll see more of those surface parking lots downtown start to disappear.

Patrick S
May 5, 2016, 3:58 AM
So it looks like that big excavated hole on W. Cushing St. won't go to waste after all, as it will be the site of Caterpillar's new Division HQ building. (And I'm guessing that Rio Nuevo will be using all of that free landfill from the county to cover the surrounding acreage to make a very nice park adjacent to it, since the landfill remediation costs were deemed too expensive to pursue.) Plus, Caterpillar will have a modern streetcar stop right outside its front door.

Chuck Huckleberry announced on today's Buckmaster show that the first 40-60 Caterpillar employees will be moving into the 11th floor of the BofA building starting next month, while the interior configuration of the building at 97 E. Congress is being redone to accommodate 300+ more employees coming to Tucson over the next few years.

Will be interesting to see what new proposals come forward as a result of this relocation--I'm sure we'll see more of those surface parking lots downtown start to disappear.
Any way you, or anyone else, could post a picture of where exactly this is expected to be placed, so I have an idea?

Patrick S
May 5, 2016, 4:01 AM
AzDOT is trying to get federal grants to work on further widening of I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix.

ADOT Pursues Grants for Highways (http://azbex.com/adot-pursues-grants-for-highways/)

Improving traffic flow and safety on Interstate 10 between Phoenix and Tucson. Helping commerce move on a state route between the border and Interstate 19 in Nogales. Rehabilitating an 850-foot-long bridge along Interstate 15 in northwestern Arizona.

Aiming to move forward sooner on those goals, the Arizona Department of Transportation is seeking $109.5 million through two highly competitive federal grant programs.

With $800M available through the U.S. Department of Transportation’s FASTLANE grant program, established under the 2015 FAST Act, ADOT has applied for $60M and offered to provide $86.8M in matching funds to be used in four ways along I-10 between the Phoenix and Tucson metropolitan areas:

Realigning and widening four miles in the Picacho area to three lanes in each direction while reconstructing the interchange with State Route 87.
Widening four miles between Earley Road and Interstate 8 to three lanes in each direction while upgrading ramps at Jimmie Kerr Boulevard near Casa Grande.
Making technology enhancements to improve traffic management and safety, including remote sensors to provide early warning of approaching dust.
Conducting preliminary engineering and completing an environmental analysis for widening 27 miles of I-10 to three lanes in each direction between the Loop 202 Santan Freeway and approximately SR 387 in Casa Grande. Any plan to widen I-10 through the Gila River Indian Community would require an agreement with the tribal government.
“The impact of Interstate 10 on Arizona’s citizens and economy is huge. Improvements to this vital link between Phoenix and Tucson are critical to our quality of life,” ADOT Director John Halikowski said. “Each element of the FASTLANE grant proposal will advance these efforts to continue improving I-10 and significantly benefit motorists and the flow of commerce.”

Meanwhile, ADOT has submitted Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grant proposals for two projects:

$25M, with a proposed $39M state match, to improve the 3.75-mile State Route 189 (Mariposa Road) in Nogales. Proposed upgrades to the route, which connects the Mariposa Port of Entry with Interstate 19 and Interstate Business 19/Grand Avenue, include a raised median and improving ramps connecting with I-19.
$24.5M, with a proposed $10.5M state match, to rehabilitate Virgin River Bridge No. 1 on Interstate 15. Built in 1964 and located just east of Littlefield in the far northwestern corner of Arizona, the bridge has never undergone a major rehabilitation.
Both TIGER grant projects and the two I-10 construction projects in the FASTLANE grant are already part of ADOT’s plans, both through its current construction program and the Tentative Five-Year Transportation Facilities Construction Program that’s receiving public input and awaiting a vote by the State Transportation Board.

For Virgin River Bridge No. 1, $33M in construction funding is programmed for fiscal 2019. For SR 189, ADOT has recommended $64M in fiscal 2021 for construction. For the I-10 projects, ADOT has recommended $85M in fiscal 2018 for the Picacho area and $40M in fiscal 2019 for Earley Road to I-8.

Winning grants would allow these projects to move forward faster and enable ADOT to redirect money toward other pressing needs.

“There are no guarantees when it comes to competitive grants, but success pays big dividends for Arizona,” Halikowski said.

Since 2012, ADOT has received a total of $43.6M through 15 competitive grants, most of them administered by U.S. DOT. Much of that amount comes from TIGER grants for a planned railroad overpass on State Route 347 in Maricopa and the ongoing reconstruction of Virgin River Bridge No. 6 on I-15.

There will be plenty of competition from other states for FASTLANE and TIGER grants. For fiscal 2015, when ADOT won a $15M grant toward the SR 347 project, U.S. DOT received 627 eligible applications worth $10.1B for the $500M available. About $500M is available in the current round of TIGER grants.

U.S. DOT is expected to announce awards from both grant programs later this year.

kaneui
May 5, 2016, 4:14 AM
Any way you, or anyone else, could post a picture of where exactly this is expected to be placed, so I have an idea?

There's an aerial photo in the Star's recent article, but this one--shown in my Tucson project list--outlines it much more clearly (the 3.38 acres highlighted in blue):

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/cfaf95f0-7eb6-4607-b079-10b101b8bd97_zpsqlolfip6.jpg
(courtesy: city of Tucson)

farmerk
May 5, 2016, 2:39 PM
I hope caterpillar's regional hq is 6 floors out of respect to urbanism. This HQ would more likely blend in with downtown west's architecture (hint: not a typical cookie cutter office park).

kmiller5
May 8, 2016, 2:11 AM
http://tucson.com/business/local/vintage-th-ave-gas-station-to-become-taco-burger-joint/article_ea82efb1-b1ac-5c66-92c4-f06b562a9f8f.html

Looking to open this fall

Patrick S
May 8, 2016, 9:20 PM
I saw a blue crane just north of Speedway on Cherry St. I originally thought it was for the new tower at Banner University Medical Center, but now I'm thinking it may be for the new UA Health Science Innovation Building. Anyone else have any info?

kaneui
May 9, 2016, 2:20 AM
I saw a blue crane just north of Speedway on Cherry St. I originally thought it was for the new tower at Banner University Medical Center, but now I'm thinking it may be for the new UA Health Science Innovation Building. Anyone else have any info?

You're probably looking at the crane for the UA Bioscience Research Laboratories building (see the webcam link for it on my project list). Also, the new Banner-UMC addition under construction and the upcoming Health Sciences Innovation building will be just north of this project.

Patrick S
May 9, 2016, 3:13 AM
You're probably looking at the crane for the UA Bioscience Research Laboratories building (see the webcam link for it on my project list). Also, the new Banner-UMC addition under construction and the upcoming Health Sciences Innovation building will be just north of this project.
Ah, that would be it. Thanks for the clarification.

Little off the topic, but I drove down I-10 today and the walls for the new theatre at the Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges were up. Also noticed from Valencia a few weeks ago that the Home Goods distribution center looks like it's finished, or close to it.

andrewsaturn
May 11, 2016, 4:41 AM
Looks like Bourn Companies updated its website for its final design of City Park. A live, work, and play environment touted by Bourn to be Tucson's first contemporary and creative office space.

It's previous design had the building at 6 stories, now they shaved off a couple of floors to 4 stories tall perhaps due to feasibility...? City Park will offer two restaurants, pool tables, and even a small bowling alley on its second floor. Super cool concept that is desperately needed for that end of the street IMO.

I wonder when they are going to get started? Take a look at the link.

https://www.hightail.com/download/cUJWd0VQYWJTRTdsZThUQw

farmerk
May 11, 2016, 1:28 PM
Looks like Bourn Companies ...

It's previous design had the building at 6 stories, now they shaved off a couple of floors to 4 stories tall perhaps due to feasibility...?

If it's local developer, you'd expect a 3-5 floor skyscraper :yes:

I'm hoping they won't get started and they'd be replaced.
The statute of limitations for favoring local developers has expired.
Bourne, since day 1, has been promising to be the moonshot for downtown's revival.
As for HSL, the best they could do for downtown is bulldoze that eyesore, La Placita Village and that hotel (Arizona). Then leave downtown.

Get these fools out of downtown.

southtucsonboy77
May 11, 2016, 3:36 PM
Looks like Bourn Companies updated its website for its final design of City Park. A live, work, and play environment touted by Bourn to be Tucson's first contemporary and creative office space.

It's previous design had the building at 6 stories, now they shaved off a couple of floors to 4 stories tall perhaps due to feasibility...? City Park will offer two restaurants, pool tables, and even a small bowling alley on its second floor. Super cool concept that is desperately needed for that end of the street IMO.

From the "updated" brochure...they completely took out the "LIVE" concept out, which would explain the reduction of floors/square feet. Apparently the interest wasn't there. Wide open, see-thru window lofts...bad idea. The expanded "PLAY" concept is actually pretty cool. Overall, get this thing built already...before Bourn trims it down to 2 floors of nothing.

Ted Lyons
May 11, 2016, 4:02 PM

TBF, they only reduced it by one floor. Curious what motivated the shift in priorities away from residential. My guess would be people have concerns about investing in housing given the proximity to Ronstadt and all of the apartments that would bring in.

Almost Now
May 12, 2016, 12:38 AM
Although new residential with NO parking works in many urban areas, Downtown Tucson does not seem to be there yet. Those new to downtown living are not necessarily going to abandon something so fundamental to their pre-downtown way of life as being very close to where their car is parked. In my garage - great. Downstairs or down an elevator in a common, residents only garage - that'll work. Out front on the street - OK too. Cross the street or walk a block or two - too much too soon. For those who live downtown already, or have officed there awhile, or who come from other urban spaces, offsite parking is not going to be such a big barrier. Perhaps Bourn gauged that too many of those looking at living downtown would "need" onsite parking to decide to live there and that creating enough parking on that tiny site would make what already looks like a pretty pricey project too expensive to build.

andrewsaturn
May 12, 2016, 7:03 AM
Just checked a living space for One East broadway and the rent is $1598/mo for 1 bedroom 1 bath (but really nice) with security deposit of $1598...so living on Congress street I imagine will be a little more expensive but then again one west offers underground parking so perhaps the same price...I wonder if Bourn checked the demand for such a space?... perhaps the rent is going to be the same for the new residential spaces at the new Ronstadt development in a couple years...I will definitely not want to live there even if I made good money. I would have to be stupid rich to consider that! :haha:

http://www.trulia.com/rental/3232006941-1-W-Broadway-Blvd-Tucson-AZ-85701#photo-3

3 photos included

andrewsaturn
May 12, 2016, 7:20 AM

Bourne, since day 1, has been promising to be the moonshot for downtown's revival.
As for HSL, the best they could do for downtown is bulldoze that eyesore, La Placita Village and that hotel (Arizona). Then leave downtown.

Would LOVE to see more floors but honestly I'm saving my energy and hope for that 2nd "Unisource" tower, if we could save demand for a second skyscraper, I'm all for that sacrifice! :P

Azstar
May 12, 2016, 5:26 PM

I agree. These people have done NOTHING, and they probably never will. The city should take the property back via eminent domain and require Rio Nuevo build the Caterpillar building on Congress, or La Placita/abandoned hotel, instead of the no man's land that the city owns west of I-10.

aznate27
May 13, 2016, 5:36 AM
TBF, they only reduced it by one floor. Curious what motivated the shift in priorities away from residential. My guess would be people have concerns about investing in housing given the proximity to Ronstadt and all of the apartments that would bring in.

I actually like that they moved away from residential, there's enough projects right now that have better chances of being built with residential. I was in Tokyo last year and this type of development was everywhere there. If they can get a restaurant on the third floor that would be nice, it would give some nice downtown city views. In Tokyo, they have whole high-rises dedicated to just restaurants. We dined almost daily on the 5th to 30th floors, the views were amazing! Wish something like that could be built here, but I think the population downtown would have to at least double for it to be considered.

aznate27
May 13, 2016, 5:48 AM
Just checked a living space for One West broadway and the rent is $1598/mo for 1 bedroom 1 bath (but really nice) with security deposit of $1598...so living on Congress street I imagine will be a little more expensive but then again one west offers underground parking so perhaps the same price...I wonder if Bourn checked the demand for such a space?... perhaps the rent is going to be the same for the new residential spaces at the new Ronstadt development in a couple years...I will definitely not want to live there even if I made good money. I would have to be stupid rich to consider that! :haha:

http://www.trulia.com/rental/3232006941-1-W-Broadway-Blvd-Tucson-AZ-85701#photo-3

3 photos included

Those photos are of 1 EAST Broadway not West. West is the one under construction...

kmiller5
May 15, 2016, 11:19 PM
Just saw on the other page that the Main Gate Residence Inn won't start construction until the end of 2016. Are there any details why that project is being pushed back a year from when it was scheduled? The GPLET and incentives have been done for a while now. Thanks for any answers.

Patrick S
May 17, 2016, 2:39 AM
Found something interesting in a paragraph near the end of an article on the state of the housing market in Tucson. I've included the full paragraph (and nothing more), and highlighted the specific passage I found interesting. I don't want to read too much into this, but it appears to hint at further "employment announcements" for the city and/or region. Whether there is anything specific in the works isn't answered, but it's tantalizing.

Chapman Lindsey: Q1 Residential Lot Sales Report (https://realestatedaily-news.com/chapman-lindsey-q1-residential-sales-report/)

Future employment opportunities coming to Tucson will impact housing needs. Caterpillar recently selected Tucson for its regional headquarters and will bring 600 high paying jobs to the area over the next five years. The Rosemont Mine project is nearing its final rounds of government permitting, which if approved, could be another major source of employment for the area. The trickle down effect of these and other upcoming employment announcements will create even more demand for housing, which in turn will create additional demand for land and lots by homebuilders. Look for an active land market in upcoming years.

Ted Lyons
May 17, 2016, 4:52 AM
Found something interesting in a paragraph near the end of an article on the state of the housing market in Tucson. I've included the full paragraph (and nothing more), and highlighted the specific passage I found interesting. I don't want to read too much into this, but it appears to hint at further "employment announcements" for the city and/or region. Whether there is anything specific in the works isn't answered, but it's tantalizing.

Chapman Lindsey: Q1 Residential Lot Sales Report (https://realestatedaily-news.com/chapman-lindsey-q1-residential-sales-report/)

Future employment opportunities coming to Tucson will impact housing needs. Caterpillar recently selected Tucson for its regional headquarters and will bring 600 high paying jobs to the area over the next five years. The Rosemont Mine project is nearing its final rounds of government permitting, which if approved, could be another major source of employment for the area. The trickle down effect of these and other upcoming employment announcements will create even more demand for housing, which in turn will create additional demand for land and lots by homebuilders. Look for an active land market in upcoming years.

I've generally found this guy's reports to be significantly outdated. For example, the Rosemont Mine is on indefinite hold right now last I checked.

Thirsty
May 18, 2016, 3:56 AM
Minor League Hockey is a go. http://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/coucil-votes-to-proceed-in-hockey-license-agreement

Last month the Rio Nuevo Board approved $3.2 million in renovations to the TCC.

The team will make the TCC their home for 10 years

Under the proposal, the team would pay the city $300,000 a year to use the TCC, adjusted each year for inflation. The team would have the option to end the contract after five years if the average game attendance is below 2,500. If that happened, the team would have to pay Rio Nuevo back for unreimbursed funds for improvements.

The city and the team would split the money made from concessions, parking, certain types of advertising and naming rights. Tucson leaders estimate that the deal would mean the city could make between $249,270 and $476,445 in net revenue a year.

kaneui
May 19, 2016, 10:45 PM

I'm guessing the housing element didn't pencil out when Bourn estimated what they could charge without parking, since most of the proposed market-rate projects downtown will have onsite parking. A quick summary of the downtown housing developments from my project list show about 80 units currently under construction, with about another 1,400+ proposed--mostly apartments. (And I'll bet that most of Caterpillar's relocated employees with families will want a suburban-style house with a yard.)

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:

Arizona Hotel – 16 market-rate

Stone Avenue Homes – 25 townhomes

One West Broadway – 40 market-rate

PROPOSED:

Menlo Park Rowhouses – 9 townhomes

Monier Apartments – 128 market-rate

Ronstadt Center - 274 market-rate

Marist on Cathedral Square – 83 low-income senior

The Westerner - 50 low-income senior

Arena site - 96 market-rate

Block 175 - 100+? low-income

La Placita - 200+? market-rate

West Abbey – 128 market-rate

West End Station – 94 low-income

Stone & Broadway tower – 100+? condos/luxury rental

The Armory – 170 market-rate

TOTAL: 1,513 units

kaneui
May 19, 2016, 10:54 PM
Just saw on the other page that the Main Gate Residence Inn won't start construction until the end of 2016. Are there any details why that project is being pushed back a year from when it was scheduled? The GPLET and incentives have been done for a while now. Thanks for any answers.

I pushed back the construction start date on my project list as there has been no construction permit issued; since once that is in hand, they have about a six-month window to break ground. So, the delay is most likely due to the lack of financing, although there could be other reasons.

Ted Lyons
May 20, 2016, 4:40 PM
I pushed back the construction start date on my project list as there has been no construction permit issued; since once that is in hand, they have about a six-month window to break ground. So, the delay is most likely due to the lack of financing, although there could be other reasons.

A few months back, the plans were removed from 845 N Park on PRO and I assumed it was because another address had been assigned. Until today, I didn't bother looking for that address, but it looks like it's at 930 E 2nd. Looks like they're actively going through permitting now and, since the foundation was approved on 12/18, I think we should start seeing movement soon.

InTheBurbs
May 21, 2016, 3:46 AM
With city out of Gadsden deal, Rio Nuevo will expand Mercado (http://tucson.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/with-city-out-of-gadsden-deal-rio-nuevo-will-expand/article_645f4732-d089-5064-a624-eb197286b3ef.html)

Some activity on the West Side.

Rio Nuevo also is investing $2.2 million in a $5 million project to expand Gadsden’s Mercado San Agustin, a Mexican-style plaza with a central courtyard, shops and restaurants in the Menlo Park neighborhood...

The Mercado San Agustin Annex will be constructed in six to nine months, beginning in September.

It will be built on 1.5 acres with 20,000 square feet of rentable space inside 53 shipping containers arranged in a way that creates “cool gathering spaces,” Dixon said.

The container buildings — chosen partly for the cool factor and partly as a placeholder for something bigger and better years down the road — would be connected by wooden decks around landscaped courtyards, he said.

All spaces are pre-leased and include a beer shop, a bike shop near a future city bike-share kiosk, a restaurant and a coffee shop, said Adam Weinstein, president and CEO of The Gadsden Co...

Gadsden plans to begin construction later this year on a $25-million project called The Monier, market-rate apartments with a plaza and a rooftop pool and more office and restaurant spaces. Gadsden will receive a loan through a HUD program that promotes urban infill and transit-oriented development projects.

And next month Gadsden will hear whether they will receive state low-income housing tax credits needed to build a $17 million low-income housing project called West End Station.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tucson.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/5/35/5358c06a-8e0b-5430-8280-d5360359588b/573e6e4428c14.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C651

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tucson.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/83/983ff2c7-5f77-557b-8450-e7d1f947bff2/573e6e452ba8f.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C623
Renders: The Gadsden Company (via AZ Daily Star)

Patrick S
May 21, 2016, 2:57 PM
With city out of Gadsden deal, Rio Nuevo will expand Mercado (http://tucson.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/with-city-out-of-gadsden-deal-rio-nuevo-will-expand/article_645f4732-d089-5064-a624-eb197286b3ef.html)

Some activity on the West Side.

I saw something about this on the news a couple nights ago but they were pretty short on details. Looks interesting, I'll just leave it at that, but glad to see they're all pre-leased.

Patrick S
May 21, 2016, 3:02 PM
Two articles about developments from the Arizona Builder's Exchange (http://azbex.com/) website. The second we knew about, the first seems new.

Tucson Developer Planning Big Mixed-Use (http://azbex.com/tucson-developer-planning-63-acre-mixed-use/)

A developer is seeking approval for a Planned Area Development to encompass 63 acres of vacant land at Irvington Road and Interstate 19 (three miles south of Interstate 10) in Tucson. If approved, the proposal will create a massive, multi-phase, mixed-use commercial center to be called Irvington Commercial Center.

Commercial Real Estate Developer Bourn Companies proposes to transform the undeveloped desert land at the NWC of Irvington Road and I-19 into a, “… vibrant commercial development to serve the immediate neighborhood along with visitors and the rest of the region driving along our major interstate system,” according to the submitted documents.

The development will be divided into five areas:

Development Area 1 encompasses about 11 acres and will be developed with smaller commercial pads with high visibility along the I-19 frontage and access provided by a pair of driveways at existing, signalized intersections, as well as a third driveway.
Development Area 2 (8 acres) will be located near the SWC of the site and will serve as an extension of Area 1 uses, but without direct roadway frontage.
Development Area 3 (21 acres) lies at the center of the PAD and will be tied to the other four areas by vehicle and pedestrian circulation routes.
Development Area 4 (12 acres) lies near the center of the site, south of the proposed spine roadway.
Development Area 5 (11 acres) is on the far north of the property.

Actual phasing of the five development areas – including the order and boundaries of those development phases – will depend on market conditions and demands. Site improvements will be completed as needed. The Arizona Department of Transportation will be making improvements to the frontage on the east side of the property, as well as providing a sound wall between the site and a residential area to the north, as part of the agency’s Interstate 19 Improvement Project.

The proposed spine road will include an eight-foot pathway to provide vehicle, pedestrian and bike access to the whole property, providing at least two connections to the Santa Cruz Riverpark. The developer will also provide a bus pullout shelter on the westbound side of Irvington Road.

No GC or project timeline were identified in the submittal.

New Tucson Transitional, Acute Care Facility (http://azbex.com/27987-2/)

An Indiana-based developer of healthcare projects is seeking to rezone 8.5 acres of land from education uses to medical services uses. If approved, Mainstreet Property Group will build the Mainstreet Health and Wellness Suites at the NEC of East Pima Street and North Rosemont Boulevard in Tucson.

The new building will encompass 68KSF of space, to create a transitional care center to provide therapy and post-acute care for patients following surgery or injury. Lot 1 will include the 47.3KSF transitional care center, providing extended services to 70 beds.

The Lot 1 building will feature a 20’-6” parapet and a 28’ tower feature. At the corners of the building will be landscaped rainwater harvesting basins. Inset into the outside of the north and south elevations, large courtyards will create beautiful areas for a building entryway, rehab area, dining area and a putting green. The building will be encircled by a ring road with outdoor parking and access drives along both East Pima and North Rosemont.

A future construction phase will include Lot 2 (14KSF) and Lot 3 (15KSF), which will house outpatient medical services. No GC or timeline information was provided with the submittal.

kaneui
May 21, 2016, 11:37 PM

This news sort of got buried in all the excitement of the hockey deal getting finalized, but it's a significant shift in finally getting those vacant parcels west of I-10 developed. And the speed at which Rio Nuevo is getting things done is quite impressive when you consider how fast the wheels usually turn in Tucson. Going forward, these local developers are now on a short leash to get shovels in the ground and keep up the momentum of downtown's redevelopment.

Ted Lyons
May 22, 2016, 1:00 AM
Walked around downtown a little this afternoon and took some pictures.

View of the AC from Arizona Avenue - the angle opposite of the webcam.
http://i.imgur.com/yvOJwpl.jpg?1

The refurbished facade of the old Grill building.
http://i.imgur.com/ZT5h1yT.jpg?1

1 West Broadway looking southwest.
http://i.imgur.com/7bFjKV0.jpg?1

1 West Broadway looking northwest.
http://i.imgur.com/BMCSyqu.jpg?1

Stone Avenue Townhomes progress.
http://i.imgur.com/oROk468.jpg?1

Peach Properties banner on the Brings Funeral Home. I didn't notice any construction activity, though.
http://i.imgur.com/EZdc6F6.jpg?1

Patrick S
May 22, 2016, 3:03 AM
Walked around downtown a little this afternoon and took some pictures.

Peach Properties banner on the Brings Funeral Home. I didn't notice any construction activity, though.
http://i.imgur.com/EZdc6F6.jpg?1

I work at the building directly south of this building (the building out of view, but directly to the left of the street, McCormick, that's closed in this picture). I walk past this building every morning. There were rumors at my work about a month ago that this was going to be turned into a restaurant/bar. I happened to be walking by when a gentleman was hanging this banner pictured. I asked him what was going in there. He said he had no idea.

Ted Lyons
May 22, 2016, 5:03 PM
Finally found a rendering of the SIPHER Building via some creative internet searching, but no promises that it's up-to-date.

http://www.swaimaia.com/wp-content/uploads/SIPHER-Exterior-Rendering-3-780x518.jpg

InTheBurbs
May 23, 2016, 8:27 PM
TUS-JFK Flights to Start in October (http://tucson.com/business/tucson/nonstop-flights-between-tucson-and-new-york-coming-in-october/article_b42d778e-211e-11e6-b649-2323280ee38a.html)

American is going to offer non-stops from Tucson to New York.

According to the Star, the first New York flight will leave JFK at 5 p.m. ET starting Thursday, Oct. 6. The inaugural Tucson-JFK flight will depart at 7:57 a.m. local time starting Oct. 7 and arrive in New York at 4 p.m.

kaneui
May 26, 2016, 1:36 AM
As an additional feature for my project list, I've added a Google map that shows each project as well as the streetcar route (just click on the link to the map shown in the list). I've also noted a few infill sites for downtown, but I'm sure there are more that could be included.

crzyabe
May 26, 2016, 7:55 PM
As an additional feature for my project list, I've added a Google map that shows each project as well as the streetcar route (just click on the link to the map shown in the list). I've also noted a few infill sites for downtown, but I'm sure there are more that could be included.

Thanks for keeping that list. I visit it regularly

Patrick S
May 26, 2016, 9:21 PM
Noticed they poured the first foundation for the Stone Avenue Townhomes a few days ago (I could see the cement truck right outside my coworker's window). I was leaving work today and saw they were working on the framing for the first floor on this same one - it will be the one furthest to the south on the east side (directly behind the old Bring's Funeral Home).

Patrick S
May 31, 2016, 1:11 AM
Old Dominion expanding near new HomeGoods and FedEx facilities (http://tucson.com/business/local/old-dominion-expanding-near-new-homegoods-and-fedex-facilities/article_59e32cf0-104a-53c8-bc7e-d285d1b0e683.html)

A chunk of land on the city’s south side has been sold to a global transportation company.

Records from the Pima County Recorder’s Office show North Carolina-based Old Dominion Freight Line bought 9.4 acres of land at 3375 E. Corona Road from Business Park of the Desert LLC for $1.2 million.

The site of its future operation will be next to the new HomeGoods and FedEx facilities.

A spokeswoman for Old Dominion said the company was not prepared to make a public announcement of its plans .

The less-than-truckload (LTL) carrier is more than 80 years old and provides regional and national distribution, as well as logistics services.

Old Dominion currently has a Tucson service center on North Dragoon Street, west of Interstate 10 and Grant Road. It also has service centers in Phoenix and Flagstaff.

Ted Lyons
Jun 1, 2016, 3:30 PM
Here's the construction camera for the new Banner outpatient facility at Campbell and Allen: http://www.workzonecam.com/projects/bannerhealth/northcampus/workzonecam

farmerk
Jun 2, 2016, 4:13 AM
Big changes sought for historic church property near UA (http://tucson.com/news/local/big-changes-sought-for-historic-church-property-near-ua/article_e386b9f1-a2a5-57b5-9abf-36a3129254c3.html)

...Plans to demolish parts of a West University church property to build residential and retail spaces have moved one step closer to approval.

The nearly 3-acre site of the Trinity Presbyterian Church complex at 400 E. University Blvd., at the intersection of North Fourth Avenue and University , could see two new buildings with retail, office and rental units if the plan is approved by the mayor and City Council.

southtucsonboy77
Jun 2, 2016, 3:32 PM
Downtown murals beautify and prevent graffiti (http://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/downtown-murals-beautify-and-prevent-graffiti)

Has been talked about this last week in the news...but just wanted to mention it here just in case. These large murals are amazing and bring life and color to downtown.

My favorite is the Benjamin Supply mural.

The article has a link to a map with all the locations.

InTheBurbs
Jun 3, 2016, 12:46 AM
Big changes sought for historic church property near UA (http://tucson.com/news/local/big-changes-sought-for-historic-church-property-near-ua/article_e386b9f1-a2a5-57b5-9abf-36a3129254c3.html)

...Plans to demolish parts of a West University church property to build residential and retail spaces have moved one step closer to approval.

The nearly 3-acre site of the Trinity Presbyterian Church complex at 400 E. University Blvd., at the intersection of North Fourth Avenue and University , could see two new buildings with retail, office and rental units if the plan is approved by the mayor and City Council.

This was one proposed option for the site. Does anyone know what they are currently considering?

http://robpaulus.com/files/2014/08/south-rendering-one-1359x900.jpg
Render: Rob Paulus Architects

http://robpaulus.com/projects/trinity-mixed-use/

Ted Lyons
Jun 3, 2016, 3:38 PM
This was one proposed option for the site. Does anyone know what they are currently considering?

http://robpaulus.com/files/2014/08/south-rendering-one-1359x900.jpg
Render: Rob Paulus Architects

http://robpaulus.com/projects/trinity-mixed-use/

Rob Paulus is the developer, so I'd assume it's still this design.

A model from their website:

http://rplusrdevelop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/A-1024x768.jpg

http://rplusrdevelop.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/B-1-840x630.jpg

Ted Lyons
Jun 3, 2016, 3:51 PM
I was reading through the current BizTucson (https://issuu.com/mcserres/docs/biztucsonsummer2016/97?e=0) yesterday and, like usual, they have an article on downtown development. We know about almost everything that was discussed but I had never heard of one project mentioned in passing - One Forty One South.

The rendering is the bottom center image in this collage.

http://i.imgur.com/OyTS1BR.jpg?1

A Google search revealed a Google map of downtown projects (https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/embed?mid=1FW7KwP0321hNjqp7qQuLxlcIDBM), which looks a lot like kaneui's but I think is from Downtown Tucson's website, that includes the full rendering.

http://i.imgur.com/cHBDhao.png?1

The location is 141 South Stone, between Ochoa and Corral, just north of the Stone Avenue Homes. I couldn't find anything on PRO and it hasn't gone before the Infill Incentive District Design Review Committee

kaneui
Jun 3, 2016, 7:03 PM
A Google search revealed a Google map of downtown projects (https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/embed?mid=1FW7KwP0321hNjqp7qQuLxlcIDBM), which looks a lot like kaneui's but I think is from Downtown Tucson's website, that includes the full rendering.

I'm curious as to who created that map, as much of the text from the project descriptions is practically verbatim from my project list. (Although I also suspect it was DTP, as they were requested to provide Caterpillar a slew of information on downtown, even though the development map on their website is very minimal and outdated.)

crzyabe
Jun 3, 2016, 8:19 PM
I'm curious as to who created that map, as much of the text from the project descriptions is practically verbatim from my project list. (Although I also suspect it was DTP, as they were requested to provide Caterpillar a slew of information on downtown, even though the development map on their website is very minimal and outdated.)

ROYALTIES! you deserve royalties! :)