PDA

View Full Version : Tucson Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85

Patrick S
Jan 26, 2017, 2:40 AM
Our family of 5 are taking a trip to NYC this summer...looking at tix last month, for 5 passengers it is cheaper to fly from Phx considering one vehicle to drive. If it was just one or 2 of us...considering the gas and mileage, it would be about the same to fly out of Tucson. But the higher costs round trip to/from Tucson adds up with 5...totaling to over $200 more.
You have to consider it costs much more to park at Sky Harbor. That eats into your difference.

southtucsonboy77
Jan 26, 2017, 3:34 PM
You have to consider it costs much more to park at Sky Harbor. That eats into your difference.

I've looked at every angle, believe me. My brother would drive us to/from Phx...or I have family there that would allow me to park at their house. I'll keep looking in the upcoming weeks and try my best to fly to/from Tucson. I'm a "Tucson First" guy, so it kills me to even consider Sky Harbor.

crzyabe
Jan 26, 2017, 7:58 PM
I've looked at every angle, believe me. My brother would drive us to/from Phx...or I have family there that would allow me to park at their house. I'll keep looking in the upcoming weeks and try my best to fly to/from Tucson. I'm a "Tucson First" guy, so it kills me to even consider Sky Harbor.

I can't stand the drive after landing in Phoenix. Paying a little extra to land in Tucson is worth it to me. I dont want to land, grab my luggage, get my car, then drive another 1 1/2 hours just to get home. My time is worth something.

southtucsonboy77
Jan 27, 2017, 3:42 PM
Rio Nuevo approves Arizona-based architects and contractor for Caterpillar Surface Mining & Technology Tucson HQ (https://realestatedaily-news.com/rio-nuevo-approves-arizona-based-architects-contractor-caterpillar-surface-mining-technology-tucson-hq/)

Moving along...

crzyabe
Jan 27, 2017, 3:54 PM
Just saw plans for the Mercado Annex. They show it on the Northeast corner of Avenida del Convento and Cushing. I had always thought it would be on the Northwest corner.

kmiller5
Jan 27, 2017, 8:12 PM
Just saw plans for the Mercado Annex. They show it on the Northeast corner of Avenida del Convento and Cushing. I had always thought it would be on the Northwest corner.

Where did you see them? I'd like to take a look. Thanks.

crzyabe
Jan 27, 2017, 8:20 PM

A coworker had printed handouts from a meeting he attended. I will get with him after the weekend and see if I can scan them.

Ted Lyons
Jan 27, 2017, 10:26 PM

There are a lot of renderings in the files on PRO.

kmiller5
Jan 30, 2017, 6:36 PM
There are a lot of renderings in the files on PRO.

Found them, thanks.

InTheBurbs
Jan 30, 2017, 11:57 PM
Looks like American is closing down the JFK non-stop for the summer...

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/nonstop-daily-flights-from-tucson-to-new-york-to-be/article_46283710-e716-11e6-936a-7b5852997b74.html

It will start back up in December.

Albuquerque has a similar arrangement with JetBlue and that seems to have worked out. But they don't have the draw of a bigger airport 2 hours away.

Plus, JetBlue...

Ted Lyons
Jan 31, 2017, 4:11 PM
Fencing went up at the Chase parking lot at 1st and Tyndall yesterday. This is for the first step in the new student apartment building - the reconfiguration of the Chase parking lot/drive through.

http://i.imgur.com/kikyhsM.jpg?1

southtucsonboy77
Feb 2, 2017, 4:28 PM
That's good to see. I've been waiting for something like that in regards to the Residence Inn...

southtucsonboy77
Feb 2, 2017, 4:30 PM
Popeye’s Restaurant Joining Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges (https://realestatedaily-news.com/popeyes-restaurant-joining-tucson-marketplace-bridges/)

Love me some Popeye's!

Azstar
Feb 2, 2017, 10:02 PM
Popeye’s Restaurant Joining Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges (https://realestatedaily-news.com/popeyes-restaurant-joining-tucson-marketplace-bridges/)

Love me some Popeye's!

This is awesome news!! :tup::notacrook::cheers:

crzyabe
Feb 8, 2017, 6:01 PM
Top Golf confirmed for the old Practice Tee at Orange Grove and I-10

Marana development on the rise in 2017 with new projects and new businesses (http://www.tucsonlocalmedia.com/news/article_714f7c0c-ed4f-11e6-96eb-f757c6f855b2.html)

T'Town
Feb 8, 2017, 8:54 PM
Top Golf confirmed for the old Practice Tee at Orange Grove and I-10

Marana development on the rise in 2017 with new projects and new businesses (http://www.tucsonlocalmedia.com/news/article_714f7c0c-ed4f-11e6-96eb-f757c6f855b2.html)

Very Nice!

wildcatmd
Feb 8, 2017, 10:29 PM
Seems as though there has been a design update for HSIB. I don't like it quite as much as the original, but still a great looking building

http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/Project/Image/13-9193.jpg

Ted Lyons
Feb 8, 2017, 11:14 PM
Ernst & Young promises 125 jobs in Tucson

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/article_2b3a80ec-d233-5f6a-8cbf-8c47ce22f81b.html?id=201408&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

The multinational accounting and professional services firm Ernst & Young is opening an executive support center in downtown Tucson, creating more than 125 new jobs.

. . .

Much of the work will be providing logistical support to the company’s global executive workforce, though there is also the possibility of hiring graphic and digital designers. The company will start at a temporary location, and will move into a permanent downtown location in the fall, according to the release.

InTheBurbs
Feb 17, 2017, 2:50 PM
We are planning on coming out to Tucson for the UA-UH football game in September, and booked a room at the Marriott University Park at Main Gate Square. Just received an email stating that effective March 7 that it will no longer be a Marriott property but will continue operating as the Tucson Hotel University Park.

Also saw in response to some TripAdvisor reviews that they are/were planning a major renovation later this year.

Has anybody heard what's going on there? Maybe with the Aloft, the new AC, JW Marriott, the perpetually-proposed Residence Inn, and the possible Moxy at Ronstadt Marriott thought they had too many properties near downtown? Doesn't seem likely, though.

Ted Lyons
Feb 17, 2017, 3:54 PM
We are planning on coming out to Tucson for the UA-UH football game in September, and booked a room at the Marriott University Park at Main Gate Square. Just received an email stating that effective March 7 that it will no longer be a Marriott property but will continue operating as the Tucson Hotel University Park.

Also saw in response to some TripAdvisor reviews that they are/were planning a major renovation later this year.

Has anybody heard what's going on there? Maybe with the Aloft, the new AC, JW Marriott, the perpetually-proposed Residence Inn, and the possible Moxy at Ronstadt Marriott thought they had too many properties near downtown? Doesn't seem likely, though.

Wow! I can't imagine a significant renovation (which is needed) will happen without a chain affiliation. With Marriott (and presumably Starwood) out, I think that would leave us with Hilton, Hyatt, or IHG as companies that focus on conference-type properties.

kmiller5
Feb 17, 2017, 6:05 PM

Huh. Could Marriott leaving explain the lack of action on the new Main Gate Marriott that was supposed to have started by now? I remember reading Marriott was now a part of the Hotel Euclid project so they clearly like having a hotel in the area.

OldPueblo$
Feb 17, 2017, 6:20 PM

Definitely not because they have too many properties. My guess is that they were asked by Marriott to do a PIP and couldn't/didn't want to. Don't do a PIP, lose flag.

Ted Lyons
Feb 17, 2017, 9:56 PM
Definitely not because they have too many properties. My guess is that they were asked by Marriott to do a PIP and couldn't/didn't want to. Don't do a PIP, lose flag.

Theory: Marriott made plans to pull out of the existing property last year, but wanted to maintain two properties in the area. Thus, they rebrand the planned Residence Inn at 930 East 2nd as a full Marriott and move the Residence Inn concept to 714 Euclid.

Eapiwo
Feb 18, 2017, 5:08 AM
Last Saturday (February 11th, 2017) I took these photos from A Mountain. Please excuse the slight camera shake

Ajo Construction
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2614/32922078406_e8e41cfbc1_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/SadfVu)[/url] by Andrew Pine (https://flic.kr/p/SadfVu), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/455/32922081926_81530703ce_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/SadgYb) by Andrew Pine (https://flic.kr/p/SadgYb), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/597/32922082176_6d168ab9e8_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Sadh3u) by Andrew Pine (https://flic.kr/p/Sadh3u), on Flickr

Skyline Growth is lackluster to the common eye but the density is definitely something new, especially in the Main Gate and Unisource areas of the city.
At the start of this decade the skyline ended at the Chase building but now extends to Cadence which is still a pretty impressive gain for a city center that had so little going on. The future is still hopeful for visuals, though. The [U]Ronstadt and Arena Site projects will pretty up some dull areas of downtown while Block 175, which will consist of only several 6 story buildings, will add more density to an area with no skyline. The Mark, Banner, the Marriott, new student housing, and even Hotel Euclid will impact the visuals of the city tremendously as well as will the La Placita, Westerner :yuck:, and Marist. Even the AC hotel impacts the skyline tremendously at other angles. I think by 2020 we'll start getting the skyline we've been wishing for.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention the HSIB building, that's gonna be a gem!

crzyabe
Feb 18, 2017, 3:26 PM
Skyline Growth is lackluster to the common eye but the density is definitely something new, especially in the Main Gate and Unisource areas of the city. At the start of this decade the skyline ended at the Chase building but now extends to Cadence which is still a pretty impressive gain for a city center that had so little going on. The future is still hopeful for visuals, though. The Ronstadt and Arena Site projects will pretty up some dull areas of downtown while Block 175, which will consist of only several 6 story buildings, will add more density to an area with no skyline. The Mark, Banner, the Marriott, new student housing, and even Hotel Euclid will impact the visuals of the city tremendously as well as will the La Placita, Westerner :yuck:, and Marist. Even the AC hotel impacts the skyline tremendously at other angles. I think by 2020 we'll start getting the skyline we've been wishing for.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention the HSIB building, that's gonna be a gem!

Great post! I agree with you that the density is finally starting and that will ultimately lead to the taller buildings everyone here wants.

I love how on the left of that last picture you can see the bright mural on on the Tucson Warehouse building.

crzyabe
Feb 18, 2017, 8:44 PM
Spent some this morning wandering around Downtown. Looks like demo/construction has started at the San Agustin Cathedral site. Additionally, site work has begun for the 7 house Mordasini development at 17th and Stone

somethingfast
Feb 18, 2017, 9:33 PM
what is the plan for the arena site? expanding current arena? new arena? i'm a tucson native but rarely get back there. personally, i don't think Tucson will ever see anything over 25 stories as the new paradigm doesn't include hi-rises outside of the maybe top 15 markets. i think Trump will definitely be good for economic growth and Tucson will benefit but i see a denser downtown, not necessarily taller. hope i'm wrong though!

Eapiwo
Feb 18, 2017, 9:54 PM
Population growth is too slow to justify highrises in Tucson and I'm guessing that'll be the case through the next decade. The U.S. isn't growing as quickly as we were in the past. Boomtowns will be fewer than in the past. Tucson will see a greater rate of growth as we return to normal from the recession but it won't be what it was in the 2000s. I hope I'm wrong but it would seem that Arizona's growth rate is done being extreme.

Look at the good though. Just like the beautiful buildings on Broadway from the 60s, Tucson is going to have a new age of architecture to dazzle the city. Right now the many 7- 15 story buildings that are going up will reflect a beautiful standard of architecture unique to this time.

somethingfast
Feb 18, 2017, 10:32 PM
I'm an older dude (mid-40's) but I can tell you that Tucson wasn't growing super-fast in the 2000's at all. the 70's and 80's were the high-growth periods. i believe Tucson metro grew from 530,000 to close to 700,000 from 80 to 90. 90 to 2000 i think it was another 120,000 or so. very modest growth since then. housing prices soared in the 2000's but that doesn't constitute "growth". otherwise, agree...Tucson will see good, meaningful growth in downtown but mid-rise in nature not hi-rise. i'd be very surprised to see another 20+ story building go up again before 2025. Phoenix, on the other hand, should see a 50+ story tower go up by then. just a guess...

farmerk
Feb 19, 2017, 7:25 PM
Never liked the look of Marriott University Park . That's one ugly building!
Hope the renovation would look as nice as the Aloft.

southtucsonboy77
Feb 21, 2017, 3:54 PM
Block 175...can anyone expand on what's proposed? Is it really a few 6 story (magic #) buildings?

I, like most , enjoy and am happy for the increased density. Yet, we're mis-labeling "high rise". Downtown is able to progress to 10-15 floors. Those (10-15) are not high rises. Main Gate is an example. Can you imagine how awesome our downtown would look if we've sprinkled the area with a couple of 10-15 story buildings? Look at the Unisource "tower", its 9-stories and dominates the low skyline near the 6-story and lesser buildings!

We're stuck at 6-7 for the most part. I'm a fan of the Ronstadt project, but is it REALLY necessary to have 3 separate structures? Or is it a trick in the book to appease the "neighborhoods" to keep the structures below a certain height to avoid and limit complaints? Are the local developers looking at their peers and witnessing that these typical 6-story structures are not receiving resistance? Is it becoming a "Tucson-thing" to not have taller structures...and then sit back and be proud and say our city is unique...while the years pass us by and we realize that we built s*** on key parcels in the city core? The "Rendezvous" has no clear reason to go down to spread its footprint and lower its height except that its "peer" projects are all in the 6-7 story range. At some point a local developer (and city) needs to grow an imagination...or step aside and let a national developer come in and do their thing...

bleunick
Feb 21, 2017, 4:27 PM
Block 175...can anyone expand on what's proposed? Is it really a few 6 story (magic #) buildings?

I, like most , enjoy and am happy for the increased density. Yet, we're mis-labeling "high rise". Downtown is able to progress to 10-15 floors. Those (10-15) are not high rises. Main Gate is an example. Can you imagine how awesome our downtown would look if we've sprinkled the area with a couple of 10-15 story buildings? Look at the Unisource "tower", its 9-stories and dominates the low skyline near the 6-story and lesser buildings!

We're stuck at 6-7 for the most part. I'm a fan of the Ronstadt project, but is it REALLY necessary to have 3 separate structures? Or is it a trick in the book to appease the "neighborhoods" to keep the structures below a certain height to avoid and limit complaints? Are the local developers looking at their peers and witnessing that these typical 6-story structures are not receiving resistance? Is it becoming a "Tucson-thing" to not have taller structures...and then sit back and be proud and say our city is unique...while the years pass us by and we realize that we built s*** on key parcels in the city core? The "Rendezvous" has no clear reason to go down to spread its footprint and lower its height except that its "peer" projects are all in the 6-7 story range. At some point a local developer (and city) needs to grow an imagination...or step aside and let a national developer come in and do their thing...

First off, Tucson doesn't have developers that can fork out cash for their entire project and just build a 15 story building wherever they want. A bank needs to give them a loan... and since there hasn't been a 15 story building built in many years, they have no faith that the ROI is going to be there for the developer. Tucson's market just isn't there yet.

Second, after 7 stories different building codes apply in Tucson. You are required to use different building materials such as steel and reinforced concrete rather than wood, and fire requirements change greatly. The cost of these requirements makes a 10-14ish story building nearly impossible to pencil out for the developer. At that point a 25 story building would probably make more sense than a 10 story, and again, Tucson just isn't there yet...

As long as the architecture is good, I fully embrace a quality 7 story building in the core!

Ted Lyons
Feb 21, 2017, 4:29 PM

The Block 175 project has specific scaling issues because it's literally across the street from a historic zone. I wouldn't classify it with projects like Rendezvous where the scale is wholly determined by financing and "market demand."

southtucsonboy77
Feb 21, 2017, 10:41 PM
The Block 175 project has specific scaling issues because it's literally across the street from a historic zone. I wouldn't classify it with projects like Rendezvous where the scale is wholly determined by financing and "market demand."

I agree. I actually was shocked that it was even proposed at 6-stories. Each project and location is different...and this spot is one where I wouldn't gripe too much.

southtucsonboy77
Feb 21, 2017, 11:12 PM
In response to bleunick...I know for a fact developers have been willing/able to go more vertical. Not all, but some. A few have inquired, but don't want the perceived fight or delay. As far as the economics...I was employed by a local government/enterprise who built a beautiful 10-story, 166 ft structure with an amazing dome. It can be done if you want it. Sprawl is just as bad as vertical...and we're not talking regional land use here. The alternative was a sprawled out structure, approximately, you guess it, 6-stories. A factor to go more vertical? Save space, make an iconic structure, and think about a second tower for the future. A La Placita, Rendezvous, and even a Ronstadt can go more vertical...if they chose to.

bleunick
Feb 21, 2017, 11:54 PM
In response to bleunick...I know for a fact developers have been willing/able to go more vertical. Not all, but some. A few have inquired, but don't want the perceived fight or delay. As far as the economics...I was employed by a local government/enterprise who built a beautiful 10-story, 166 ft structure with an amazing dome. It can be done if you want it. Sprawl is just as bad as vertical...and we're not talking regional land use here. The alternative was a sprawled out structure, approximately, you guess it, 6-stories. A factor to go more vertical? Save space, make an iconic structure, and think about a second tower for the future. A La Placita, Rendezvous, and even a Ronstadt can go more vertical...if they chose to.

Quasi-governmental buildings and mixed use/market-rate residential buildings have very little in common when it comes to financing... Same can be said for student housing.

In terms of fight, Rendezvous can build as high as theyd like and there wouldnt be a peep from anyone about it. They are building 100 units at 6 stories because in order to make it work for them they are going to be renting those out at nearly a record price for Tucson. What proof does anybody have that there are more than 100 people willing to pay that much?

southtucsonboy77
Feb 22, 2017, 12:12 AM
The fact that they are willing to build 100 + units tells you they are willing to build a large structure. They CHOSE to deviate from the designated footprint, that has an elevator shaft pre-built and the foundation to build a 20 + tower. The owner/developer chose to build a sprawled out apartment complex. As a downtown enthusiast, for that particular space, its a shame. Yes, its their money, their property, but as a long-time Tucsonan, I'm very aware that spot has always been designated as a "twin" tower. These developers cannot preach about costs...or zoning...or limitations. It was just a decision that went towards this "trend" of 6-8 story structures.

I want to make clear that my frustration isn't with those developers who are being cautious with units...its the bigger projects with the high number of units. The # of units dictates the possibility of a more vertical building. That is why my big 3: the Rendezvous, La Placita, and 141 South are huge disappointments in my book.

southtucsonboy77
Feb 22, 2017, 3:59 PM
Council considers zoning change for historic church property near UA (http://tucson.com/news/local/council-considers-zoning-change-for-historic-church-property-near-ua/article_15a3f1a7-90a3-51d7-ada3-c79c1f3eebbe.html)

The Tucson City Council will be asked today to sign off on a zoning change that would allow Trinity Presbyterian Church to demolish several of its buildings to make way for two new multi-story buildings.

The church is asking the city for permission to build three-story and four-story buildings with ground-floor retail in both structures, and plans for 72 apartments.

An example of owner/developer not limiting themselves to the current zoning/development standards.

wildcatmd
Feb 22, 2017, 10:39 PM
http://robpaulus.com/projects/eller-expansion/

Anyone notice this planned expansion of the Eller College of Business? I checked their website and it seems like a far future kind of plan but it looks pretty cool!

Obadno
Feb 22, 2017, 11:36 PM
http://robpaulus.com/projects/eller-expansion/

Anyone notice this planned expansion of the Eller College of Business? I checked their website and it seems like a far future kind of plan but it looks pretty cool!

They also announced a plan to aggressive expand Eller's footprint in downtown Phoenix.

Eapiwo
Feb 27, 2017, 12:48 AM
http://tucson.com/nestl-cookie-shop-to-open-downtown/article_3014dd0c-f7b0-11e6-acee-e7d3fa8cd5aa.html

A Nestle Toll House Cafe will be opening up downtown at 17 N. Stone Ave as a franchise.

southtucsonboy77
Feb 27, 2017, 4:24 PM
Town Building for Marana Growth and Development (https://realestatedaily-news.com/town-building-marana-growth-development/)

Growth and planning for the future of Marana.

Downtown Tucson is doing good, however, pricing out the middle class and working families with over-priced apartments and restaurants will continue to re-direct more growth to the suburbs, especially with great freeway access.

southtucsonboy77
Feb 27, 2017, 11:31 PM
City looking for developers to create 'iconic' Downtown high-rise (http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerque/news/2017/02/27/city-looking-for-developers-to-create-iconic.html)

I like the Duke City's approach. The gusto the city has is interesting. Obviously, as with our beloved city, the market will dictate the level of interest. Albuquerque is identical to Tucson in size, although we carry more metro population. But it makes me wonder if our key players ever think about iconic buildings...

“It has been 27 years since Albuquerque has seen an iconic high-rise building,” Berry said. “I believe it’s about time to add to our skyline another building that will further spur economic opportunity in the heart of our city.”

Ted Lyons
Feb 28, 2017, 1:46 AM
Lots of news this afternoon.

Earlier today, saw that Boca Tacos was moving because their building was sold. Figured that would lead to other news. A few hours later, news that HUB is building a third building.

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/article_cd0db459-5e82-5d5d-bd1a-ea8653302130.html?id=201408&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

Also, news that Rio Nuevo will be discussing two new hotels plus potential redevelopment of Hotel Arizona at their meeting tomorrow.

http://tucson.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_fc8e9d1b-bd2d-5ea2-8289-5aaaa6907bba.html?id=201408&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

Pedestrian
Feb 28, 2017, 2:26 AM

I can't speak to the specific case, but several years ago Marriott separated the ownership of the properties it then held from their management and the Marriott brand (Marriott International Corp.). Most modern hotel managers are going to this "asset light" business model. So while this hotel may have been Marriott branded, it almost certainly was owned by someone else (possiby Host Marriott Corp which is the REIT half of the formerly combined company). And that someone is entitled to periodically renegotiate the management contract, and hence the brand. Mariott, which probably has its plate full with the recent Starwood acquisition, may have attempted to strike too hard a bargain.

Pedestrian
Feb 28, 2017, 2:33 AM
Hard to imagine why no one has posted this already, but they haven't so I will. For everyone's info, Casa Grande is about midway between Tucson and Phoenix at the intersection of I-8 and I-10. It is currently best known as the site of several discount malls (and periodic dust storms).

Dreamport Villages: Developer proposes $4B amusement park over 1,500 acres in Casa Grande
Josh Frigerio
4:05 PM, Feb 21, 2017
7:51 PM, Feb 22, 2017

Developers with The Blocks Sports Company, a Florida-based company, have filed a proposal with the City of Casa Grande to bring a 1,500-acre "world class entertainment" amusement park and resort to the area, even comparing the scope of its plans to that of Disney World in Orlando.

The park -- referred to as "Dreamport Villages" -- would be located in Casa Grande near Interstate 10 and Interstate 8, according to the proposal. The project would take seven to 10 years to complete, and could cost as much as $4 billion.

. . . here are the attractions the project could bring to Arizona:

An "Extreme Sports Park" called "The Block" that will feature exotic car driving experiences, Go-Kart tracks, zip lines, rock climbing, and a 12-acre lake with "two wakeboard cable systems."
An indoor water park and 300-room resort hotel with indoor meeting space
The Wild will be an animal-themed amusement park with animals and rides, including canoe rides, a carousel, and a log flume. It will also have animals, animal shows and a 300-room hotel.
The marketplace will feature up to 420,000-square-feet of restaurant, retail and office space. It will surround the 12-acre lake that will have water taxis to get around.
A "Welcome Center" appears to be an upgraded rest stop with tourism information, a fueling station, green areas and a train station.
A convention center and RV park
The project itself is in its very early stages. It will go before the Casa Grande Planning and Zoning Commission on March 2 to consider rezoning property related to the project. If approved, that motion will go before the City Council, said Kayla Fulmer, public information officer for the City of Casa Grande.

From there, the developer could close on the property and begin developing a Major Site Plan . . . .

http://www.abc15.com/entertainment/events/dreamport-villages-developer-proposes-4b-amusement-park-over-1500-acres-in-casa-grande

Ted Lyons
Feb 28, 2017, 2:36 AM
Hard to imagine why no one has posted this already, but they haven't so I will. For everyone's info, Casa Grande is about midway between Tucson and Phoenix at the intersection of I-8 and I-10. It is currently best known as the site of several discount malls (and periodic dust storms).

http://www.abc15.com/entertainment/events/dreamport-villages-developer-proposes-4b-amusement-park-over-1500-acres-in-casa-grande

Odds of this happening are zero, IMO.

Eapiwo
Feb 28, 2017, 2:53 AM
http://tucson.com/business/tucson/tucson-real-estate-a-third-hub-student-housing-tower-being/article_cd0db459-5e82-5d5d-bd1a-ea8653302130.html

THIRD STUDENT HIGH-RISE ON ITS WAY NEAR UA CAMPUS
Tucson Real Estate: A third Hub student-housing tower being built near UA
By Gabriela Rico Arizona Daily Star
Texas developers are planning a third student-housing high-rise on East Speedway next to the pair of Hub sister towers near the University of Arizona campus.

Core Campus Investment Partners, parent company of the two Hub towers, bought nearly 30,000 square feet of land along Speedway near North Park Avenue. The company says it plans to start construction next year and open the new tower for the start of the 2019 school year.

Two Speedway restaurants, Mama’s Hawaiian Bar-B-Cue and Boca Tacos y Tequila, will be displaced.

I was actually concerned about the relocation of the two local businesses but Mama's sounds like it'll be moving to Hub #1 and Boca to a larger venue. I'm now very excited for this project which will connect the high density of main gate to Speedway. I'm going to take a wild guess but I'd imagine that this is going to be the most densely populated area in the city, if not the whole state. The maximum height for this location is 84 feet.

It would seem that the overlay is an example on how reducing height restrictions on developments strongly encouraged vertical growth. Maybe the same should be done downtown and maybe even height minimums like Albuquerque has proposed would be ideal in certain blocks such as the site of the abandoned hotel near the tcc and the Armory site.

The growth we're seeing is good and will help the city but a single, beautiful 350+ footer downtown in the right place will make sure Tucson's image will be that more of the mid sized metropolis it is. However, street life is equally as important and right now Tucson is winning in that aspect.

Edits sorry, Ted. I failed to see your post about this article.

aznate27
Feb 28, 2017, 4:11 AM

I concur...

aznate27
Feb 28, 2017, 4:49 AM
Rio Nuevo board considering two new hotels for downtown Tucson (http://tucson.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/rio-nuevo-board-considering-two-new-hotels-for-downtown-tucson/article_fc8e9d1b-bd2d-5ea2-8289-5aaaa6907bba.html)

It looks like even before the AC Marriott is finished, the developer is looking to build a second hotel down the road...

"The board will also hear about developer Scott Stiteler’s plans to build a second hotel in downtown Tucson. Described as a “possible Marriott Hotel” on Rio Nuevo documents, the deal could involve changes to the AC Marriott Hotel..."

I wonder what changes they would do to the AC?

crzyabe
Feb 28, 2017, 2:58 PM

This development is not happening.

Additionally, an amusement park in Casa Grande has been discussed my entire life and it never pans out. It is in a low part of the state and you would have 3-4 months of the year where being outside is dry, hot and unbearable. Even nighttime temperatures are in the high 90s.

crzyabe
Feb 28, 2017, 3:03 PM
It looks like even before the AC Marriott is finished, the developer is looking to build a second hotel down the road...

Wasn't Stiteler one of the people involved in the possible Moxy hotel at the Ronstadt Development? If he is still involved in that initiative, would this be an additional hotel?

Ted Lyons
Feb 28, 2017, 3:25 PM
The phrasing in the Rio Nuevo agenda is kind of weird, "changes to obligations and commitments," so I'm not sure if they're discussing changes to their financial participation or changes to the project itself. If we're talking changes to the project itself, my assumption would be that the brand would change to accommodate the AC brand at a different location. Not much other change could happen at this stage of construction.

Unstated in this is that Marriott seems very committed to downtown. Unless they're really digging in here, I'm afraid that could mean one of the Main Gate projects isn't happening.

Anyway, the Rio Nuevo agenda also includes an executive session item about participation in bringing another headquarters project downtown. If this is like Caterpillar, we probably won't hear details until it's announced.

southtucsonboy77
Feb 28, 2017, 5:18 PM
Lots of news this afternoon.

Earlier today, saw that Boca Tacos was moving because their building was sold. Figured that would lead to other news. A few hours later, news that HUB is building a third building.

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/article_cd0db459-5e82-5d5d-bd1a-ea8653302130.html?id=201408&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

Also, news that Rio Nuevo will be discussing two new hotels plus potential redevelopment of Hotel Arizona at their meeting tomorrow.

http://tucson.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_fc8e9d1b-bd2d-5ea2-8289-5aaaa6907bba.html?id=201408&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

As a Planner, witnessing the success of the Main Gate Square Overlay is like a basketball coach calling a play and the players successfully executing.

I was reviewing the agenda for the RN Board's 1pm meeting today...wow, its fully loaded!

Locofresh55
Feb 28, 2017, 8:52 PM
I've never seen Casa Grande as having that kind of appeal to draw in projects like this. All desert cities can't be like Dubai or Vegas. This just seems too extravagant to put in Casa Grande.

I concur...

Ted Lyons
Feb 28, 2017, 11:24 PM
So, it will be a Moxy, and it's on the empty Depot Plaza lot. Good stuff.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5yeA3gUsAAkjfU.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/budfoster/status/836717371377115136

aznate27
Mar 1, 2017, 12:19 AM
So, it will be a Moxy, and it's on the empty Depot Plaza lot. Good stuff.

https://twitter.com/budfoster/status/836717371377115136

Wasn't this supposed to be taller? I'll be disappointed if the heights of the buildings changed, and the overall look of the buildings seem much more conservative than the original drawings. I really liked what they first presented.

crzyabe
Mar 1, 2017, 12:37 AM
Wasn't this supposed to be taller? I'll be disappointed if the heights of the buildings changed, and the overall look of the buildings seem much more conservative than the original drawings. I really liked what they first presented.

Are you thinking of the hotel at the Ronstadt? This is a different location, around the corner from there. I guess they will need a new partner for a hotel at Ronstadt

InTheBurbs
Mar 1, 2017, 2:43 AM

If this design pans out, it looks like 7 or so floors of hotel. So it may be a bit shorter but looks to be more hotel, unlike the AC which is half hotel, half parking.

InTheBurbs
Mar 1, 2017, 2:51 AM
[QUOTE=Ted Lyons;7726740]So, it will be a Moxy, and it's on the empty Depot Plaza lot. Good stuff.

According to Channel 13, this will be 110 rooms plus 50 apartments. From the render, it looks like maybe the apartments will be on the upper floors.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/clip/13139276/more-hotels-get-approval

Eapiwo
Mar 1, 2017, 3:29 AM
Judging by the Moxy's renderings, it would appear to be taller than the surrounding two existing apartment complexes which is pretty nice. I hope that the other Ronstadt proposals aren't cut back as a result of this. One thing that I'd personally prefer is to see the original Moxy site being turned into a grand public plaza, something that part of downtown desperately needs. That's the heart of Second Saturdays and it would be fantastic if events like that have a landing pad in that side of the downtown to operate. Open space (and preferably green space) is also much needed to prevent any feelings of clutter and congestion. The way I see it is that Tucson isn't the island of Manhattan or the San Francisco peninsula. We're fortunate enough to have a lot of flat land to develop and we've wasted it building suburbs that aren't well maintained. In order to be able to compete with other cities we need to use everything in our power to our advantage and open space happens to be something that we have much more of than they do. The other buildings in the Ronstadt center definitely need to maintain their size and or be increased in height while maintaining their unique style of architecture. If that is done then we'll have our own little Bryant Park and Bank Of America Tower styled corner.

Cities with parks sprinkled in the urban center also tend to have a more aesthetically pleasing skyline.

EDIT: If Marriott is trying these hotels in Tucson to test the waters in the country as a whole, that should be a very good sign of the strength of the downtown area in the future.

Ted Lyons
Mar 1, 2017, 3:29 AM
[QUOTE=Ted Lyons;7726740]So, it will be a Moxy, and it's on the empty Depot Plaza lot. Good stuff.

According to Channel 13, this will be 110 rooms plus 50 apartments. From the render, it looks like maybe the apartments will be on the upper floors.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/clip/13139276/more-hotels-get-approval

Good find. On a similar note, the convention center hotel is supposed to be 125 rooms on a lot that's about twice as big as this. Unfortunately, I feel like that means we're looking at a pretty low floor count. Maybe with the parking component, I'll be surprised.

kmiller5
Mar 1, 2017, 3:56 AM
Hopefully the financing for the Moxy is easier to come by than it was for the AC. It would be super exciting if these projects came to fruition.

More immediately, did anyone catch any updates on City Park?

aznate27
Mar 1, 2017, 4:12 AM
Are you thinking of the hotel at the Ronstadt? This is a different location, around the corner from there. I guess they will need a new partner for a hotel at Ronstadt

AH, ok, that makes sense. After seeing the channel 13 news bit on it I realized where it was, thanks! I wonder with the Moxy going in a different location what hotel brand we may see for the Ronstadt development? I'm going to Europe in May and Radisson Hotels have a fantastic new hotel concept called RED (https://www.radissonred.com/brussels/) in Brussels. I think it would be perfect for the Ronstadt hotel!

Ted Lyons
Mar 1, 2017, 4:01 PM
Marriott branding is officially gone at Main Gate.

http://i.imgur.com/vb4egMo.jpg?1

Pedestrian
Mar 1, 2017, 9:12 PM
I've never seen Casa Grande as having that kind of appeal to draw in projects like this. All desert cities can't be like Dubai or Vegas. This just seems too extravagant to put in Casa Grande.

Not saying you all are wrong but I lived in Central Florida when Disney decided to build a theme park there in the middle of nowhere about as far south of town as Casa Grande is from Phoenix or Tucson. In those days, not that many people outside Florida had even heard of Orlando. To most, Florida meant Miami or Tampa or maybe Jacksonville.

The problems with this idea are 2 as I see it but location isn't one of them. They are that these developers don't have Disney's resources and especially they don't have Disney's brand. Everybody knew who Mickey Mouse was and back then most families were tuning in to Mckey Mouse Club on TV and had seen all th films and TV shows (Davy Crockett etc). And in the eastern half of the country a lot of kids wished they lived in southern CA so they could go to Disneyland in Anaheim. This Arizona idea doesn't grab the imagination that way. But still, I never say never.

southtucsonboy77
Mar 1, 2017, 9:21 PM
Not sure if its a good or bad thing, but through the Open Houses I heard that the developers for the Ronstadt project are looking at adding a 3rd plaza on the corner of 6th and Congress and adjusting the footprints of the structures.

I kinda hinted this Moxy situation would happen in my Jan. 13 post...

Pedestrian
Mar 1, 2017, 9:24 PM
Marriott branding is officially gone at Main Gate.

http://i.imgur.com/vb4egMo.jpg?1

I would guess this is the reason for that de-branding:

The $36.7 million project is to build a new Marriott Residence Inn Hotel on Marshall Foundation property at the southeast corner of North Tyndall Avenue and East Second Street. It would have 213 rooms, a restaurant, meeting space, retail space, a rooftop pool and a parking garage. The top floor will house an exclusive club for faculty and alumni.

As part of the incentive deal, the first $1.2 million of the tax rebates will pay for a public plaza between the new hotel and the existing Main Gate Square buildings. It will include trees, art, a water feature and a digital message board.

Once finalized, this will be the second project to receive a site specific sales tax incentive from the city. The first was an AC Hotel by Marriott, now under construction in downtown Tucson.
http://tucson.com/business/local/council-oks-ua-hotel-and-bourn-building-incentives/article_91afe979-6988-5d71-92c1-4c88570432b3.html

Marriott's recent acquisition of Starwood is almost certainly causing them to reorganize their properties and brand placement. In Tucson they have their upscale JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort and will have this AC Hotel apparently but the Marriott Residence Inn seems a more appropriate brand/price tier for folks visiting the university for whatever purpose than other Marriott brands. Assuming Marriott managed but did not own the property losing its Marriott branding, Marriott probably didn't really want to keep their name on it.

southtucsonboy77
Mar 1, 2017, 9:24 PM
The news clip and article refer to the "east" parking lot of the TCC. Is the "east" the lot off of Church or the "east" parking lot on the east side of Granada where they proposed the 25-story hotel over a decade ago?

Ted Lyons
Mar 1, 2017, 11:55 PM

http://tucson.com/business/local/council-oks-ua-hotel-and-bourn-building-incentives/article_91afe979-6988-5d71-92c1-4c88570432b3.html

Marriott's recent acquisition of Starwood is almost certainly causing them to reorganize their properties and brand placement. In Tucson they have their upscale JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort and will have this AC Hotel apparently but the Marriott Residence Inn seems a more appropriate brand/price tier for folks visiting the university for whatever purpose than other Marriott brands. Assuming Marriott managed but did not own the property losing its Marriott branding, Marriott probably didn't really want to keep their name on it.

There have been updates/non-updates to this project since that article was published, though. Specifically, we know the proposed hotel at 714 North Euclid is now projected to be the Residence Inn based on updates to their plans submitted late last year. Also, the plans for the 930 East 2nd site have not progressed since approximately 04/2016. So, the question is whether the project on 2nd is still active.

southtucsonboy77
Mar 2, 2017, 9:31 PM
Federal agents raid Caterpillar offices in central Illinois (http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/34649887/federal-agents-raid-caterpillar-offices-in-central-illinois)

In January, the company announced it plans to move its global headquarters and about 300 top jobs to the Chicago area after decades in Peoria. Caterpillar also scrapped plans to build a new headquarters in downtown Peoria, which is located about 175 miles southwest of Chicago.

Caterpillar has faced a number of investigations in recent years focusing on its business practices, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

I wonder how this will affect the Tucson operation and plans.

southtucsonboy77
Mar 2, 2017, 10:06 PM
The news clip and article refer to the "east" parking lot of the TCC. Is the "east" the lot off of Church or the "east" parking lot on the east side of Granada where they proposed the 25-story hotel over a decade ago?

This updated article/news clip (http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/34641720/new-convention-hotel-in-tucsons-future)answers my own question. The site they are looking at is the lot off of Church. I agree with Steve Kozachik...it would be silly to lose this private venture due to a parking lot. If you see in the video, there are a lot of empty spaces during the work week. How much is the City really losing in income in comparison to what they think they can make?

crzyabe
Mar 2, 2017, 10:56 PM
This updated article/news clip (http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/34641720/new-convention-hotel-in-tucsons-future)answers my own question. The site they are looking at is the lot off of Church. I agree with Steve Kozachik...it would be silly to lose this private venture due to a parking lot. If you see in the video, there are a lot of empty spaces during the work week. How much is the City really losing in income in comparison to what they think they can make?

If this proposal does not happen because of the parking issue, I am going to lose it.

farmerk
Mar 5, 2017, 4:54 PM
Metro Week interview of Fletcher McCusker regarding downtown development including hotel projects (move to 24:45) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSzWDDQafOI)

southtucsonboy77
Mar 6, 2017, 3:26 PM
Metro Week interview of Fletcher McCusker regarding downtown development including hotel projects (move to 24:45) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSzWDDQafOI)

Good interview. When he says "beautiful" apartments at La Placita...I want to see the renderings he's looking at. The Nor-Gen conversation was a little muddy though, didn't instill confidence that something was in the works...maybe I interpreted wrong.

OldPueblo$
Mar 6, 2017, 4:06 PM

Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong.

ArizAnon
Mar 7, 2017, 10:27 PM
"According to Channel 13, this will be 110 rooms plus 50 apartments. From the render, it looks like maybe the apartments will be on the upper floors."

Or do you suppose that they're planning on taking over the MLK apartments right behind it? MLK is housing for the elderly and/or disabled. This new hotel will effectively block all sunlight from it. Your thoughts, please, Ted Lyons.

Ted Lyons
Mar 7, 2017, 11:11 PM
I don't know that it's that easy to reappropriate subsidized housing. What I suspect is that this FORS rendering is extremely preliminary a la the first rendering they did for the AC. That one even changed floor count over time.

ArizAnon
Mar 8, 2017, 12:31 AM
Thanks, Ted.

I know people who live at MLK and the word of this development has spread, upsetting many. I looked up the interview with Fletcher McCusker that 'farmerk' linked to, upthread, and in it, he spoke of the hotel including "a 24-hour bar" which, I'm sure, all the residents at MLK will enjoy having right outside their bedrooms.

Earlier reports had Scott Stiteler planning an ongoing 'open air market' for this site. In my opinion, that would have been a better idea. Of course, I realize that money always talks but this part of downtown is already 'agreeably' saturated; it's the western end of Congress that needs life breathed into it, not the eastern end anymore.

Ted Lyons
Mar 8, 2017, 1:58 AM
Thanks, Ted.

I know people who live at MLK and the word of this development has spread, upsetting many. I looked up the interview with Fletcher McCusker that 'farmerk' linked to, upthread, and in it, he spoke of the hotel including "a 24-hour bar" which, I'm sure, all the residents at MLK will enjoy having right outside their bedrooms.

Earlier reports had Scott Stiteler planning an ongoing 'open air market' for this site. In my opinion, that would have been a better idea. Of course, I realize that money always talks but this part of downtown is already 'agreeably' saturated; it's the western end of Congress that needs life breathed into it, not the eastern end anymore.

I noted that 24-hour bar comment, too, and it had to be a misstatement. Hotel liquor licenses have to follow the same service hours as any other bar. I've stayed at the Moxy in Tempe and their lobby bar wasn't even open to 2am, IIRC.

Thirsty
Mar 8, 2017, 2:55 AM
ArizAnon,

The builders put balconies facing an adjacent lot that they either never owned or have since sold knowing that such a prime lot only 40 yards from Congress would lure another structure of similar scale. If it were intended to have unobstructed views in perpetuity, they would have retained that land. I know the subsidized renters can't pool enough to buy it, but that's life as a tenant.

Also, if nobody were losing something they have grown accustomed to (sunrise on the balcony) it would be seen as a bonus.

People here point to Mediterranean cities with narrow streets that are always in the shade, and the buildings stay cool, and maybe you know the person in the neighboring balcony and think "that must be nice". What's the difference here? The buildings are modern looking, we probably won't be hanging our laundry in the streets, and that's about it.

And the bar has to follow the same liquor laws as every other bar down there. It sounds more like an after hours club rather than 24/7 booze. Maybe it will keep some of the shouting, urinating and vomiting off the streets! :shrug:

Tangentially, I think it will be great when other projects put more height on avenues such as Arizona and Herbert. Once shaded, and power/garbage relocated, those would be great pedestrian only retail. A sort of trial balloon for the people who want to remove the cars from Congress.

Eapiwo
Mar 8, 2017, 4:19 AM
I'm sure the tenants in the MLK apartments will quickly forget their complaints with being in the shade as soon as it hits 115°.
Unfortunately their view will be lost. It was a nice amenity for low income housing but it was never meant to last given the nature of the lot. The silver lining is that during morning to noon hours their balconies will be a more comfortable temperature for more of the year and they won't be fighting the heat island in their building as much.

Ancient desert cities built like that to be more efficient at cooling off. The ground level would seldom see light during summers. I believe a similar attempt at a city like that is going on in the Abu Dhabi region of the UAE which is a model our city should start practicing in my opinion.

InTheBurbs
Mar 10, 2017, 2:25 AM
Alaska to start Tucson-San Jose service beginning August 29

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/09/alaska-airlines-plots-new-san-jose-san-francisco-routes/

kmiller5
Mar 12, 2017, 1:40 AM
http://tucson.com/news/local/proposed-ua-honors-college-complex-has-neighborhood-residents-concerned/article_90818b32-8479-5773-aacb-20cd87d6bc3c.html

Seems like a cool project. Much better than the ancient apartments and vacant lots there now.

Ted Lyons
Mar 12, 2017, 4:15 PM
http://tucson.com/news/local/proposed-ua-honors-college-complex-has-neighborhood-residents-concerned/article_90818b32-8479-5773-aacb-20cd87d6bc3c.html

Seems like a cool project. Much better than the ancient apartments and vacant lots there now.

Agreed. If I'm a Jefferson Park resident, I'm trying to leverage the best design possible rather than wasting my time fighting the project as a whole.

OldPueblo$
Mar 13, 2017, 4:11 PM
Agreed. If I'm a Jefferson Park resident, I'm trying to leverage the best design possible rather than wasting my time fighting the project as a whole.

Kozachik says his hands are tied but for the wrong reason. How can he opine to anything as he is a U of A employee. He would need to recuse himself. As for the neighbors, they are representative of all the other no growth, anti-business, anti-change mentality that is all too pervasive here.

chenley333
Mar 13, 2017, 4:12 PM

So the story doesn't emphasize the real issues that the neighborhoods have with this project - it really isn't about the project itself - size etc.

There are 3 main issues.

1.It is a UA project that is outside the Planning Boundary that was negotiated with the hoods. If the UA goes ahead with this, they're basically setting a precedent where they can do it anywhere and basically gives the middle finger to the hoods who negotiated in good faith.

2. Even though ACC will build and collect profit from the project, by being under the UA umbrella, it totally bypasses the city rezoning process - again removing an avenue for the public input.

3. Also by being under the UA umbrella, it removes this large block of land from the City property tax rolls, even though a private company will profit from it's operation. Not sure of the details as of yet, but basically, UA will collect dorm rent/fees and lease the dorms from ACC (basically giving ACC a steady income stream) - so kind of like UA is laundering money so that it appears to be just another UA dorm.

There may be some legitimate concerns with the height/design, but the bigger issues is the process that makes the neighborhoods feel stepped on again by the UA.

OldPueblo$
Mar 14, 2017, 3:25 PM
[QUOTE=chenley333;7738886]So the story doesn't emphasize the real issues that the neighborhoods have with this project - it really isn't about the project itself - size etc.

Always open to hearing all sides but you hurt your cause when you say "UA is laundering money" and end with "There may be some legitimate concerns with the height/design". That aside, how does this negatively impact the neighborhood? Finally, the article states that the General Plan noted that this was a possibility so it was previously disclosed and I imagine discussed.

wildcatmd
Mar 14, 2017, 8:25 PM
So the story doesn't emphasize the real issues that the neighborhoods have with this project - it really isn't about the project itself - size etc.

There are 3 main issues.

1.It is a UA project that is outside the Planning Boundary that was negotiated with the hoods. If the UA goes ahead with this, they're basically setting a precedent where they can do it anywhere and basically gives the middle finger to the hoods who negotiated in good faith.

2. Even though ACC will build and collect profit from the project, by being under the UA umbrella, it totally bypasses the city rezoning process - again removing an avenue for the public input.

3. Also by being under the UA umbrella, it removes this large block of land from the City property tax rolls, even though a private company will profit from it's operation. Not sure of the details as of yet, but basically, UA will collect dorm rent/fees and lease the dorms from ACC (basically giving ACC a steady income stream) - so kind of like UA is laundering money so that it appears to be just another UA dorm.

There may be some legitimate concerns with the height/design, but the bigger issues is the process that makes the neighborhoods feel stepped on again by the UA.

I'm not part of this discussion but I think the article is portraying what's happening in a disingenuous way. It seems that the university is listening to their concerns by having a discussion with them and making design choices that will minimize impact. I'm sure the reporter found that most NIMBY neighbors he could find to get a couple of sound bites.

I also think they should thank their lucky stars that UA is partnering with the developer instead of the developer just doing it themselves. I mean at least an Honor student dorm is going to quiet and quite nice. They could have some sort of monstrosity like the HUB which will lead to trash, ragers and disturbances all year long.

I also find it so funny that these neighbors are happy to take advantage of the University when it benefits them in terms of bringing in professionals, cultural opportunities and general life to the city but god forbid the University develop empty lots and blighted housing into something more meaningful.

Yea the city loses a block of taxed property but how much would that even bring in compared to the jobs and students in this facility? Besides that, the city will freely dole out tax breaks to any company looking for a race-to-the-bottom relocation but god forbid they help out an organization that is committed to the long term welfare of the city

Eapiwo
Mar 15, 2017, 8:24 PM
Little update, big impact
City Park broke ground and the greyhound terminal opened

kmiller5
Mar 15, 2017, 11:13 PM
Little update, big impact
City Park broke ground and the greyhound terminal opened

Can someone more experienced in the development world fill me in as to whether City Park will need to undergo the archaeological survey that the AC did? It seems like some projects do and others don't and I'm not sure why. Thanks for any insight!

hthomas
Mar 15, 2017, 11:48 PM
Can someone more experienced in the development world fill me in as to whether City Park will need to undergo the archaeological survey that the AC did? It seems like some projects do and others don't and I'm not sure why. Thanks for any insight!

It all depends, the AC site needed a study because archeological material was found on site, it wasn't anticipated. The City Park site, may or may not need one, depending on what is uncovered as the project moves forward.

wildcatmd
Mar 22, 2017, 7:12 PM
http://tucson.com/business/tucson/international-mining-tech-firm-hexagon-to-expand-relocate-hq-to/article_c917c37e-604e-502e-ab1a-ce37adcbb896.html

More jobs downtown! Great to hear and it seems like we're close to hitting critical mass there.

Eapiwo
Mar 30, 2017, 12:39 AM
Neat conceptual buildings.
I've found this website with renderings for projects around the city, however I'm not sure if any of these are serious proposals or not. However they maintain the short yet nicely, modern theme we've been experiencing downtown.
http://www.rahwork.com/#/nebel/

southtucsonboy77
Mar 30, 2017, 3:56 PM
Neat conceptual buildings.
I've found this website with renderings for projects around the city, however I'm not sure if any of these are serious proposals or not. However they maintain the short yet nicely, modern theme we've been experiencing downtown.
http://www.rahwork.com/#/nebel/

Good link. Unfortunately, those are serious proposals. Oh boy, Block 175...not really what I envisioned. Not talking about height, but the architecture. It doesn't seem to fit in. I do like the urban front door/front steps streetscape though.

141 South Stone belongs on the west end. I won't go on my usual rant.

Boxyard I do like. Neat concept.

southtucsonboy77
Mar 30, 2017, 4:02 PM
Downtown Tucsonan Trend Report March 2017 (http://www.downtowntucson.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/2017_TREND_Report.pdf)

Great summary of all the business activity that has happened recently and that is upcoming. Nice list of new businesses.

Eapiwo
Mar 30, 2017, 10:56 PM
Good link. Unfortunately, those are serious proposals. Oh boy, Block 175...not really what I envisioned. Not talking about height, but the architecture. It doesn't seem to fit in. I do like the urban front door/front steps streetscape though.

141 South Stone belongs on the west end. I won't go on my usual rant.

Boxyard I do like. Neat concept.

I am generally on the infill is infill side of things but these renderings aren't super beautiful, excluding the streetscape homes. The architecture just doesn't feel like it belongs downtown. It feels more like a regular apartment complex you'd find anywhere else in the city. These structures remind me of a modern day Herbert or Tucson House which have proven to be vicious eyesore (although the renovation of the Herbert helped). My expectation for buildings of these sizes is that they have a more distinctly Tucson style of architecture and not a global one kinda like the new MLK building and the Seniors Apartments on the west of I-10.

Patrick S
Mar 31, 2017, 5:23 PM
New TMC/El Rio Clinic opening at 1 W. Broadway. This looks like a clinic geared towards urban professionals. Tells me they see a need for this downtown due to population growth.

New downtown Tucson health clinic offers a different patient experience (http://tucson.com/news/local/new-downtown-tucson-health-clinic-offers-a-different-patient-experience/article_e28afb80-5f60-5c77-9d56-6c1e9159d862.html)

chenley333
Apr 4, 2017, 2:43 AM
The developer has now backed away from the PAD and is now going with a proposal that fits within the existing zoning for this block. It's is scaled down to about 600 bed student housing and unfortunately no longer has any street-level retail. It will be 8 stories along Broadway, and 4 stories along Park, 10th St, and Tyndall.

We only have a site plan for now, no elevation diagrams yet.

http://www.rinconheights.org/uploads/1/5/5/7/15579966/the-mark-site-plan-apr2017_orig.jpg

Ted Lyons
Apr 4, 2017, 5:08 AM
The developer has now backed away from the PAD and is now going with a proposal that fits within the existing zoning for this block. It's is scaled down to about 600 bed student housing and unfortunately no longer has any street-level retail. It will be 8 stories along Broadway, and 4 stories along Park, 10th St, and Tyndall.

We only have a site plan for now, no elevation diagrams yet.

http://www.rinconheights.org/uploads/1/5/5/7/15579966/the-mark-site-plan-apr2017_orig.jpg

Honestly, the retail was so minimal as to be pointless, so that part doesn't bother me. Eight versus ten floors is also a relatively minor difference in this area since there are no other tall buildings or plans to develop any in the immediate vicinity.