PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143

Johnny Aussie
Oct 19, 2016, 1:12 AM
Now they've got CDG back 3 x per week.

Right now Summer 2017 is:

LGW 7pw
MAN 3pw
AMS 3pw (1 via YYC)
CDG 3pw
GLA 1pw

YVR-FCO, YYC-MAN and YYC-CDG are gone though.

I've never seen TS flip flop this much... perhaps a new system of doing things.

YYC

nname
Oct 19, 2016, 1:20 AM
Same problem exists if you book online. If you book a flight on Air Canada that includes a Lufthansa or United connection, you can't pick the seats on the Air Canada site. You need to get the locator and go to the other airlines website.

All said, I don't know how the flight is doing. I also hope they are filling it up.

Checking the current seat map, the first 3 flights have on average about 65% LF in Y, 70% in PY, 70% in J... I don't think its really that bad for the first week of service? I remember I checked the first few flights for BNE and its worse than this.

YYZ-DEL over the same period have about 75% LF in Y, 80% PY, and 75% in J

Johnny Aussie
Oct 19, 2016, 1:30 AM
Checking the current seat map, the first 3 flights have on average about 65% LF in Y, 70% LF in PY, 70% LF in J... I don't think its really that bad for the first week of service? I remember I checked the first few flights for BNE and its worse than this.

So hard to tell from seat maps... Been on many flights where the seat map was virtually empty the day or two before only to board a full flight. Some airlines (SQ is a good example) that actually blocks so many seats ahead of time so when the seat map eventually "opens" all of a sudden tons of seats... Only to be full again by flight time.

For anyone who wants to see how YVR-Australia flights are doing... Australia releases these stats monthly... Lots of fun for stats geeks and avgeeks...

https://bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoing/international_airline_activity-monthly_publications.aspx

nname
Oct 19, 2016, 1:34 AM
So hard to tell from seat maps... Been on many flights where the seat map was virtually empty the day or two before only to board a full flight. Some airlines (SQ is a good example) that actually blocks so many seats ahead of time so when the seat map eventually "opens" all of a sudden tons of seats... Only to be full again by flight time.

For anyone who wants to see how YVR-Australia flights are doing... Australia releases these stats monthly... Lots of fun for stats geeks and avgeeks...

https://bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoing/international_airline_activity-monthly_publications.aspx

I think for AC, if you choose the most expensive fare option, you can access all the blocked seats (first 5 rows).. especially so close to the departure date.. :???:

Johnny Aussie
Oct 19, 2016, 1:41 AM
I think for AC, if you choose the most expensive fare option, you can access all the blocked seats (first 5 rows).. especially so close to the departure date.. :???:

That's also assuming every single passenger reserves an advance seat. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't depending on class of service etc...

mezzanine
Oct 19, 2016, 4:41 AM
More press about YVR-DEL. If J bookings are brisk, that's a good sign.

“It’s imperative [that business class seats sell],” said Kevin Howlett, Air Canada’s senior vice-president of regional markets and government relations. “That’s the section of the aircraft that generates the most revenue.”

Vancouver chef Vikram Vij designed most of the menu and will provide much of the food served on the plane. Vancouver chef David Hawksworth will also have some of his creations on offer for business-class passengers.

Still, a week before the inaugural flight, economy and premium economy tickets remained available, despite plenty of outreach between Air Canada and the local South Asian community.

Howlett would not speculate on how likely it will be that the Vancouver route will become daily but he noted that when the airline launched flights between Toronto and Delhi last November, the flights started at four times per week.

Those flights, which are year-round, are now daily, and the airline has announced that it will launch thrice-weekly flights between Toronto and Mumbai in July 2017.

When asked if Vancouver could get non-stop flights to Mumbai, Howlett laughed and said, “let’s make sure Delhi works first.”

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/10/air-canada-tests-vancouvers-new-passage-india/

Vagabond
Oct 19, 2016, 6:51 AM
More press about YVR-DEL. If J bookings are brisk, that's a good sign.

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/10/air-canada-tests-vancouvers-new-passage-india/

The one factor that no one seems to be talking about is that demand in J for YVR-DEL is likely to be driven primarily by wealthy Indo-Canadians and not corporate travellers. BC's business with India is either focused on mineral exports (which are largely brokered through third parties or, at least, outside India) or on small-scale, exploratory, deals and partnerships involving SMEs. Neither will stimulate business travel to the extent that would support a regular, year-round flight, and certainly not to Delhi. I would even argue that AC's upcoming YYZ-BOM flight is probably better suited to many YVR-based business travellers headed to India than YVR-DEL. Despite claims to the contrary in the BIV article, AC72 does not offer competitive connections to almost any other Indian city, so it's really only a useful option for people travelling to Delhi or the Punjab. While BOM and BLR are dramatically smaller markets for traffic ex-YVR, I would argue that in J the spread is probably much more even. This is the main potential flaw in the plan, and it could be a biggie.

Back to my original point, I've noticed (anecdotally) that many wealthy Indo-Canadians are quite partial to the One World carriers to/from India (BA/CX/JAL) so it will be interesting to see if they can be lured into the arms of AC and Star Alliance with the non-stop.

Just my two cents!

Johnny Aussie
Oct 19, 2016, 8:01 AM
Back to my original point, I've noticed (anecdotally) that many wealthy Indo-Canadians are quite partial to the One World carriers to/from India (BA/CX/JAL) so it will be interesting to see if they can be lured into the arms of AC and Star Alliance with the non-stop.

Just my two cents!

Completely agree with this statement. BA, primarily, but also CX have had years and years to establish great relationships. My anecdotal evidence spans back years ago but BA without a doubt had some very strong relationships with various groups that were built up over time. Including significant F class travel. This will be a hard nut to crack. I'm sure BA, CX and JL among others have been preparing for this inevitable day forever and a day. I reckon it's game on!

However.... and also agree with your first paragraph analysis... with the additional points...

The "problem" with YVR-India is that over 75% of the traffic is heading to DEL or the Punjab. And we all know it's very heavy VFR. Whereas in Toronto's case, not only is the total market over 3x that of YVR, its traffic flows are much more diverse. Even though YYZ-DEL still makes up approx 40% of total YYZ-India traffic, approx 60% is going elsewhere. Basically, YYZ-BOM is a much much bigger market than YVR-BOM. Mumbai may be the financial centre of India, but this doesn't change the fact the YVR-BOM market is tiny. Less than 15% of the total YVR-India numbers. Even with the higher premium potential like you mentioned... highly unlikely this will happen for a very long time. That's just the uniqueness of the Vancouver-India market. So perhaps the wealthier travelers heading to BOM or BLR, who still require a connection anyway, will continue to opt for the One World options they have been doing for years.

AC is targeting the three largest Canadian Indian markets YYZ-DEL, YVR-DEL and YYZ-BOM (in order of size although 2 and 3 are very close) no other Canadian market even comes close to these numbers so it does make sense if they were going to fly three routes, these are the three.
Again, YVR's proximity to SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX, YYC and YEG will help make this route a success if it actually does succeed. I hope it does!

trofirhen
Oct 19, 2016, 8:04 AM

Just my two cents!
:2cents::2cents: My 4 cents, then!! I think you made a very good point about the Bombay market. That's the financial hub of India, and may one day warrant a flight from YVR if this one sells.
As for wealthy Indians preferring BA/CX/JAL .... if the premium classes on this new route offer a good product, then they might just switch happily. ... Why? ...
.... Up until now, they have been obliged to change planes, however wealthy they are. If AC can muster up a snazzy offering, a nonstop from YVR might be an overnight hit!!
Wouldn't it be smashing if this flight went 'big time unexpectedly. If AC can snazz up its 'pedestrian,' colorless feeling, that might just happen.

jmt18325
Oct 19, 2016, 4:20 PM
I would think they'd go daily to YYZ first though, from financial capital to financial capital.

mezzanine
Oct 19, 2016, 5:35 PM
The one factor that no one seems to be talking about is that demand in J for YVR-DEL is likely to be driven primarily by wealthy Indo-Canadians and not corporate travellers. BC's business with India is either focused on mineral exports (which are largely brokered through third parties or, at least, outside India) or on small-scale, exploratory, deals and partnerships involving SMEs. Neither will stimulate business travel to the extent that would support a regular, year-round flight, and certainly not to Delhi. I would even argue that AC's upcoming YYZ-BOM flight is probably better suited to many YVR-based business travellers headed to India than YVR-DEL. Despite claims to the contrary in the BIV article, AC72 does not offer competitive connections to almost any other Indian city, so it's really only a useful option for people travelling to Delhi or the Punjab. While BOM and BLR are dramatically smaller markets for traffic ex-YVR, I would argue that in J the spread is probably much more even. This is the main potential flaw in the plan, and it could be a biggie.

Just my two cents!

IMO, there is a special connection with BA as I suspect many indo-canadians have extended family in the UK and allows for an easy extended lay-over.

Otherwise, if I were AC, I wouldn't worry so much about other oneworld as much as I would worry about the twice-daily emirates flights from SEA. That would be a big factor wrt success with YVR-[all of india].

I'm optimistic. AC should at least be able to maintain this seasonally, and I have a good feeling that this may go year-round - maybe not daily, but year-round.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 19, 2016, 8:44 PM
https://www.destinationcanada.com/sites/default/files/2016-10/Snapshot_Aug16_EN.pdf

YVR a huge contributor to this growth. Some phenomenal numbers! YVR is leading the country in % growth by a wide margin for International arrivals. This chart seems to correlate with new YVR services too... take that with a grain of salt!! And based on everything coming online this is unlikely to change.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 19, 2016, 8:58 PM
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/2016/best-airports-north-america.htm

#7 worldwide though.... But still!! Not a bad placing amongst that group!

nname
Oct 20, 2016, 7:57 AM
Just saw a post of tentative schedule for KMG-NKG-YVR route that is planned to start on around Dec 15th:

MU215 KMG1855 - 2140NKG2350 - 1910YVR 33E 257
MU216 YVR0130 - 0500+1NKG0825+1 - 1120+1KMG 33E 247

Not sure how reliable this information is... but I got info for CAN-YYZ route from the same place and it seems to be correct... If that's indeed the schedule, then KMG-PVG-YVR would move to 136?

-------------
On the other hand, noticed YVR-DEL is now full in Y for the fight on the 20th... well at least its no longer selling Y ticket anymore...

deasine
Oct 20, 2016, 10:02 AM
Interesting piece in the Vancouver Sun around airport privatization getting increasingly more discussion. Only YUL has really supported such a move, but now beginning to hear other voices on this debate.

City of Vancouver joins chorus of opposition to YVR sale

DERRICK PENNER
More from Derrick Penner
Published on: October 18, 2016 | Last Updated: October 18, 2016 6:28 PM PDT
The Vancouver Airport Authority Board CEO Craig Richmond is opposed to selling the airport to private interests.
The Vancouver Airport Authority Board CEO Craig Richmond is opposed to selling the airport to private interests. RIC ERNST / PNG
ADJUST
COMMENT
PRINT
The City of Vancouver has lined up as an ally to the Vancouver Airport Authority’s lobby against a feared federal sell off of Canada’s biggest airports to private interests, including the not-for-profit YVR.

That fear was sparked by a recommendation to move Canada’s biggest airports “to a share-capital structure,” to obtain “equity-based financing,” in a review of the federal Transportation Act led by former federal cabinet minister David Emerson.

A sell off would lead to less local control over the facility and potentially reduced services and higher fees as a buyer seeks to pay back its equity and earn a return, said YVR boss Craig Richmond.

“That money would have to come from somewhere,” Richmond said.

“It’s hard to know exactly, but having been out in that private airport world, (YVR) could easily go for four, five, even more billion dollars,” Richmond said. “To pay that back, that’s hundreds of millions of dollars that comes out of the airport to pay the new shareholders and debt holders.”

And Tuesday, Vancouver City Council voted to add its voice to YVR’s opposition with a letter to Transportation Minister Marc Garneau rejecting a potential move to private share structure on a motion from Coun. Geoff Meggs.

Meggs said that while the airport authority is a private, not-for-profit entity, it has local representation and is responsive to local needs, which he doubts would be the case if it were “in the hands of bondholders in Geneva.”

“As well, (YVR) is very efficient economically so we don’t want to take any chances with that,” Meggs said. His motion to write the letter passed unanimously.

The review of the federal Transportation Act that resulted in the recommendation was commissioned under the tenure of former prime minister Stephen Harper.

However, the report has gained currency under Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government as a means to help finance the billions of dollars needed for the government’s hoped-for federal infrastructure bank.

Garneau called for a review of Emerson’s recommendations, including moving the larger airports to a private-share structure, and that effort is ongoing, said Transport Canada spokeswoman Natasha Gauthier.

Most recently, Gauthier said in an emailed statement that Garneau has held “a roundtable” discussion to hear public opinions on airport ownership and the department will continue to engage with the provinces, stakeholders, citizens and First Nations.

“Next steps will be based on the best interests of Canadian middle-class travellers,” Gauthier wrote.

However, Richmond fears that converting those facilities from the not-for-profit corporations that they are now to private, for-profit operations would come with a cost.

He argued that YVR has already been privatized. The federal government’s national airports policy of the 1990s made Canada’s 26 largest airports not-for-profit corporations on long-term leases with the government, and as such Richmond argued that YVR has already gained a lot of efficiencies that come with privatization.

At the same time, he said YVR has poured its earnings, some $3.1 billion, back into capital improvements at YVR.

“Let’s be clear about who’s paid for that,” Richmond said. “It’s the people of B.C.,” through YVR’s airport improvement fee and other levies.

If the facility were expropriated and sold off to private investors, he argued “you’ll end up paying for it again.”

depenner@postmedia.com

twitter.com/derrickpenner

Vancouver Sun http://vancouversun.com/business/local-business/city-of-vancouver-joins-chorus-of-opposition-to-yvr-sale

ACT7
Oct 20, 2016, 3:11 PM
https://www.destinationcanada.com/sites/default/files/2016-10/Snapshot_Aug16_EN.pdf

YVR a huge contributor to this growth. Some phenomenal numbers! YVR leading the country by a wide margin for International arrivals. This chart seems to correlate with new YVR services too... take that with a grain of salt!! And based on everything coming online this is unlikely to change.
Do you mean by a wide margin in percentage terms?

west1266
Oct 20, 2016, 3:42 PM
Maybe someone knows the answer to my question...if the government sold off the airports would that open up the entire airline market in Canada. I can't see how they could prevent any airline from flying in and out of these newly privatized airports.

Maybe someone knows the pros and cons of such a move and can share them with us.

Would such a move stall the expansion of the Vancouver terminal?

jmt18325
Oct 20, 2016, 3:53 PM
Selling the airports would have nothing to do with agreements between countries relating to skies regulation.

MalcolmTucker
Oct 20, 2016, 4:13 PM
If the City of Vancouver wants to control the airport, they could always buy it.

deasine
Oct 20, 2016, 4:37 PM
Maybe someone knows the answer to my question...if the government sold off the airports would that open up the entire airline market in Canada. I can't see how they could prevent any airline from flying in and out of these newly privatized airports.

Wouldn't open the airline market.

Maybe someone knows the pros and cons of such a move and can share them with us.

This is a very tough question to answer. Theoretically (and I stress in theory), government-run assets are expensive and have high costs and privatisation should bring in lower costs. However, airports are generally monopolies or have monopolistic power and thus are not necessarily always incentivised to pass these lower costs to the consumer.

I do not believe privatisation in Vancouver specifically will bring in significantly lower overhead costs. Airports in North America are essentially landlords, with airlines, handling agents, and service authorities acting as tenants. Security is not run by the airport, customs is not, heck in Vancouver's case, much of its on-the-ground workforce are volunteers: there aren't many opportunities to continue shaving costs down.

Would such a move stall the expansion of the Vancouver terminal?

Potentially. Theoretically shareholders would want to maximise infrastructure use to lower capital investments. There is also a probability that the specifications that would be built under future private owner would be lower spec-ed compared to the current quality of amenities and design of Vancouver Airport given these might not be considered important to the operation or the owner.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 20, 2016, 6:59 PM
Do you mean by a wide margin in percentage terms?

Yes I do. Edited my comment... Thanks.

CareerShow
Oct 20, 2016, 7:43 PM
Would someone mind posting that spreadsheet with the destinations, airlines, and aircrafts etc. I cant seem to find it.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 20, 2016, 7:51 PM
Would someone mind posting that spreadsheet with the destinations, airlines, and aircrafts etc. I cant seem to find it.

Ha ha.. Even if you find it it needs a lot of updating with everything going on!

twoNeurons
Oct 20, 2016, 7:54 PM
If YVR ever went IPO, I'd be sad... and then I'd buy shares. The potential for profit in that airport is very high.

Think about how many things at the airport are priced low. There are free luggage carts, wifi, nice art, low-priced parking, reasonable airport fees, etc in what is essentially a market without any competition. Seattle isn't REALLY competition for YVR and neither is BLI or YXX. They would have to turn YVR into a profit centre to recoup the cost of the sale.

When you privatize, every expense comes under the scrutiny of profitable or not. Long-term planning usually takes a back seat to quarterly profit and raising dividends for shareholders. You think great airports with art just happen? Those things need long-term planning, a goal that is more than monetary, and locals who take pride in making it happen.

Privatizing YVR is a stupid idea... especially if it's just to bank-roll other non-related benefits.

MalcolmTucker
Oct 20, 2016, 8:16 PM
I believe the whole rational is this: right now people make money off of debt issued by airport authorities. Instead of buying the debt, they can buy the airports, then the government can take the money and spend it on other things.

Right now it is just an exploration.

s211
Oct 20, 2016, 8:33 PM
If the City of Vancouver wants to control the airport, they could always buy it.

Sweet mother of pearl, I pray you are only being wildly sarcastic. Otherwise,

LeftCoaster
Oct 20, 2016, 9:59 PM

Ha ha.. Even if you find it it needs a lot of updating with everything going on!

You make it sound like I don't keep it up to date!

Only issue I know of is with Air China, no idea what's going on there next summer so I have just left it alone for now, even though changes are for sure coming.

Just a little barometer check, 2016 summer was ~82,000 seats per week so we're looking at total capacity boost of 9.8% already, and it's only Oct.

Star alliance carriers going from 39,000 seats to 45,000 with Cathay, Aeromexico, China Southern and Philippines rounding out the rest of the gains.

http://i.imgur.com/ZONp145.png

west1266
Oct 20, 2016, 10:11 PM
Thanks for your insight...I'm always amazed how so many on here know so much about airports and aviation in general. I enjoy reading...

CareerShow
Oct 20, 2016, 11:06 PM
Thanks. Also does anyone have any idea which airline/country recently had the FAA crack down on them and are not allowing any new routes to the USA? I remember it was in SE Asia but can't quite remember which country. I thought i remember Thai airways maybe being involved, and if this is the case how does this affect a possible route.

LeftCoaster
Oct 20, 2016, 11:23 PM
Thanks. Also does anyone have any idea which airline/country recently had the FAA crack down on them and are not allowing any new routes to the USA? I remember it was in SE Asia but can't quite remember which country. I thought i remember Thai airways maybe being involved, and if this is the case how does this affect a possible route.

It was indeed Thai.

nname
Oct 20, 2016, 11:28 PM

Only issue I know of is with Air China, no idea what's going on there next summer so I have just left it alone for now, even though changes are for sure coming.

Just a little barometer check, 2016 summer was ~82,000 seats per week so we're looking at total capacity boost of 9.8% already, and it's only Oct.

Star alliance carriers going from 39,000 seats to 45,000 with Cathay, Aeromexico, China Southern and Philippines rounding out the rest of the gains.

CA's PEK route is currently scheduled with 11x weekly 773

AC's NRT had downgauged to 789

AC's DEL does not operate in summer... for now (or maybe you know something we didn't know!?)

CZ's MEX should be 3x weekly (so CAN-YVR terminator should be 6x instead of 7x), though the route had not officially scheduled yet

MU's NKG is not scheduled yet

LeftCoaster
Oct 20, 2016, 11:34 PM
Help me out here guys, did Singapore Airlines just accidentally drop a major hint about YVR?

This is what their SVP of sales and marketing told Australian Business Traveler:

Wilson explains that the airline is currently considering both San Francisco and “another North American point”, following the airline's launch of ‘regular’ Airbus A350-900 flights to San Francisco.

That’s because the non-stop Singapore-San Francisco route is only possible with a “slight payload restriction” on the standard Airbus A350-900 aircraft – which means fewer paying passengers on board, less cargo and baggage carried underneath, or even all of the above.http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-airlines-confirms-plans-for-two-class-airbus-a350ulr

So given that San Fran is barely inside of the A350-900s range, and they anticipate adding another destination with the non-ULR A350 variant, that leaves only 2 destinations they could reach, SEA and YVR.

Now it's barely a given, but I like YVR's odds being a Star Alliance hub and an airport SG has served in the past.

Am I missing something here, or is that a pretty obvious signal that YVR is very much on SGs radar?

Johnny Aussie
Oct 20, 2016, 11:42 PM

AC's DEL does not operate in summer... for now (or maybe you know something we didn't know!?)

CZ's MEX should be 3x weekly (so CAN-YVR terminator should be 6x instead of 7x), though the route had not officially scheduled yet

CZ to MEX will actually be only 2x weekly and equipment to be determined but probably a Dreamliner

Just a couple more tweaks!

All AC 777s will now be HD

AC to BNE is 788 in summer

It's "Kansai" 😜

NZ to AKL only 5 weekly in summer

KL to AMS is going to be on 333s until early Sept

All TS flights out of YVR are 332s not 333s

nname
Oct 20, 2016, 11:43 PM
I think the article talk about potential A350ULR destinations - so after LAX and JFK, SQ plan to switch SFO to ULR so it would not suffer payload restriction... and then consider the 4th NA point with ULR... I would guess its ORD...

Johnny Aussie
Oct 20, 2016, 11:45 PM
Help me out here guys, did Singapore Airlines just accidentally drop a major hint about YVR?

This is what their SVP of sales and marketing told Australian Business Traveler:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-airlines-confirms-plans-for-two-class-airbus-a350ulr

So given that San Fran is barely inside of the A350-900s range, and they anticipate adding another destination with the non-ULR A350 variant, that leaves only 2 destinations they could reach, SEA and YVR.

Now it's barely a given, but I like YVR's odds being a Star Alliance hub and an airport SG has served in the past.

Am I missing something here, or is that a pretty obvious signal that YVR is very much on SGs radar?

I read this online publication daily and I did see this story. SIN-YVR is definitely being looked at by both SQ and AC. It's another one of those routes that with the right economics on the right equipment this may actually work.

LeftCoaster
Oct 20, 2016, 11:49 PM
I think the article talk about potential A350ULR destinations - so after LAX and JFK, SQ plan to switch SFO to ULR so it would not suffer payload restriction... and then consider the 4th NA point with ULR... I would guess its ORD...

How I understood it from the article was that they were looking at 3x A350-ULR destinations and 2 A350-900 destinations. I could be mistaken though.

My guess for SG north american service would be

A350 ULR:
SIN-LAX
SIN-EWR
SIN-ORD

A350 900:
SIN-SFO
SIN-YVR

Indirect
SIN-MAN-IAH

Interesting to note that everything they have so far is Star Alliance (LAX, SFO and IAH). Bodes well IMO.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 20, 2016, 11:57 PM
How I understood it from the article was that they were looking at 3x A350-ULR destinations and 2 A350-900 destinations. I could be mistaken though.

My guess for SG north american service would be

A350 ULR:
SIN-LAX
SIN-EWR
SIN-ORD

A350 900:
SIN-SFO
SIN-YVR

Indirect
SIN-MAN-IAH

Interesting to note that everything they have so far is Star Alliance (LAX, SFO and IAH). Bodes well IMO.

You nailed it. YVR is easily in range of the standard A350 and the real hint is that the ULR will be all premium which won't be appropriate for YVR.

Let the speculation continue!!!

And no biggy but Singapore Airlines is "SQ"

jmt18325
Oct 21, 2016, 12:02 AM

I don't think that's correct. Though they are all 10 across, there are 7 77Ws with 450 seats, and 12 77Ws with 400 seats. The 6 77Ls have a lesser number with 10 across.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 21, 2016, 12:12 AM
I don't think that's correct. Though they are all 10 across, there are 7 77Ws with 450 seats, and 12 77Ws with 400 seats. The 6 77Ls have a lesser number with 10 across.

But that's what implies HD... 10 across. Yes, there are two configurations for the 77Ws now but they are all considered HD. The 77Ls are a smaller aircraft anyway so that's why they only have 300 seats totals. Even 400 seats on a 77W by Boeing's definition puts it into a HD category. HD = cram more seats into Y.

Just for comparison SQ's 77Ws seat only 264 hence why even 400 is considered HD.

LeftCoaster
Oct 21, 2016, 12:13 AM

Ya I've got some of the unscheduled stuff in there, it's highly likely to go though so that's why it's there. Some of the iffy stuff is in there too but italicized and zeroed out until a more formal announcement.

DEL is winter only, i just couldn't take it out. Really what this is, is a look at peak service, which is why New Zealand is in there at 7 and BNE is a 789, even though that is their winter peak. With that said I'm going to change everything to summer except leave DEL in, I just can't take it out.

When did AC downgauge NRT? I thought it was 77HD?

CZ to MEX will actually be only 2x weekly and equipment to be determined but probably a Dreamliner

Just a couple more tweaks!

AC to BNE is 788 in summer

It's "Kansai" ������

NZ to AKL only 5 weekly in summer

KL to AMS is going to be on 333s until early Sept

All TS flights out of YVR are 332s not 333s

Updated the 77s to all HD. that made a big boost in capacity

Got all the other changes, KLs 789 and 333 are within 2 PAX capacity so that didn't effect the totals, and TS A333 and 332 have the same capacity too somehow so I didn't bother changing that.

Here's the updated with both your corrections (even spelling) and a handy little column comparing capacity to 2016 summer peak:

http://i.imgur.com/Lw9nV9l.png

LeftCoaster
Oct 21, 2016, 12:19 AM
You nailed it. YVR is easily in range of the standard A350 and the real hint is that the ULR will be all premium which won't be appropriate for YVR.

Let the speculation continue!!!

And no biggy but Singapore Airlines is "SQ" ������

I wish I were a more patient person.... :help:

nname
Oct 21, 2016, 12:40 AM
DEL is winter only, i just couldn't take it out. Really what this is, is a look at peak service, which is why New Zealand is in there at 7 and BNE is a 789, even though that is their winter peak. With that said I'm going to change everything to summer except leave DEL in, I just can't take it out.

When did AC downgauge NRT? I thought it was 77HD?

Probably have to do with the new NGO flight. AC would rotate 2 aircrafts for NRT and TPE routes next summer.

Lets just hope AC would extend DEL to at least year round... it seems the flight actually been selling pretty well? Right now 3 of the first 4 flights no longer have Y tickets available, and many of the flights have only few seats left in premium cabins too...

Hot Rod
Oct 21, 2016, 12:47 AM
Two points:

* Although YVR-PEK on CA is the single largest route, YVR-London remains the largest city pair. Interesting that YVR-PEK or even YVR-HKG is not larger.

* Mexico City is technically not InterContinental but instead is International or even Transborder. However, I know we often 'treat' MEX as InterContinental in that it is a gateway to Latin America. ... thoughts?

Side note, the BA A380 is not that much larger than the AC 777HD.

CareerShow
Oct 21, 2016, 3:19 AM
Two points:

* Although YVR-PEK on CA is the single largest route, YVR-London remains the largest city pair. Interesting that YVR-PEK or even YVR-HKG is not larger.

* Mexico City is technically not InterContinental but instead is International or even Transborder. However, I know we often 'treat' MEX as InterContinental in that it is a gateway to Latin America. ... thoughts?

Side note, the BA A380 is not that much larger than the AC 777HD.

Only 19 more seats!!!! Shows why the BA a380 is such a pleasant aircraft to fly on. This is including their crammed 2 4 2 business class configuration!

Hourglass
Oct 21, 2016, 5:11 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Lw9nV9l.png

I'm counting over 160 flights to Asia next summer -- not including Oceania or the season DEL route -- Australia's not really part of Asia anyways. ;)

Seriously though, that's pretty insane! I'm guessing that YVR is pretty close to SFO as a hub for Asian flights, at least in terms of # of flights (probably not in terms of # of seats, though).

mezzanine
Oct 21, 2016, 5:12 AM

http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-airlines-confirms-plans-for-two-class-airbus-a350ulr

FWIW, the article is quoting Campbell Wilson, who among prior work with SIA, set-up and managed SIA's office in vancouver when they flew SIN-ICN-YVR. :)

If AC and SQ both wanted to run a non-stop, how would they decide who gets the lion's share? Aside from what the countries can negotiate in the bilaterals, what's the game theory with 2 airlines (in the same alliance) trying to fly the same route?

In 2003, Campbell moved to Head Office and held positions in the Network Revenue Management and Network Planning departments. In 2006, Campbell was appointed Vice President, Canada and was based in Vancouver, where he was heavily involved in re-establishing a formal air service agreement between Singapore and Canada after a 20-year lapse.

http://www.terrapinn.com/conference/aviation-outlook/speaker-campbell-WILSON.stm

SFUVancouver
Oct 21, 2016, 5:17 AM

http://i.imgur.com/ZONp145.png

Thank you for this update!

Johnny Aussie
Oct 21, 2016, 6:31 AM
Just took off from Runway 08R.

Another new YVR route launches!

C-FGDZ doing the inaugural honours.

Requested 30 seconds on the runway? Is that unusual?

excel
Oct 21, 2016, 6:55 AM
Yes pretty unusual but could have been as simple as the cabin not being ready for departure when told to lineup.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 21, 2016, 7:10 AM
Yes pretty unusual but could have been as simple as the cabin not being ready for departure when told to lineup.

were you listening to ATC as well?
If that were the case I would have thought they wouldn't have lined up and waited. Maybe extra roll and spool up required?

excel
Oct 21, 2016, 8:08 AM
I was not listening no. It was likely nothing related with the takeoff or mechanical. When did they ask for the delay? After acknowledging the line up instruction or once actually established on the runway?

nname
Oct 21, 2016, 8:54 AM
I'm curious of whether the flight would go on Pacific or Atlantic side. Right now it seems to be going pretty much straight north...

Johnny Aussie
Oct 21, 2016, 9:15 AM
I'm curious of whether the flight would go on Pacific or Atlantic side. Right now it seems to be going pretty much straight north...

It seems to be following the gcmapper route right now... Straight over the Arctic Ocean.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 21, 2016, 9:24 AM
I was not listening no. It was likely nothing related with the takeoff or mechanical. When did they ask for the delay? After acknowledging the line up instruction or once actually established on the runway?

It was just after acknowledging line up instruction but before being established on runway.

ATC said it was no problem as they didn't have anyone on finals at that time.

nname
Oct 21, 2016, 12:02 PM
It seems to be following the gcmapper route right now... Straight over the Arctic Ocean.

According to flight plan, the plane would fly over waypoints at
80N 114W
85N 108W
89N 60W
87.3N 32E (ABERI)

This is actually far closer to north pole than the gcmap route... First polar route for YVR? :D

trofirhen
Oct 21, 2016, 4:21 PM
Exciting stuff !!! Hope we get a couple more such routes ..... in the years to come, of course.

LeftCoaster
Oct 21, 2016, 6:34 PM
I'm counting over 160 flights to Asia next summer -- not including Oceania or the season DEL route -- Australia's not really part of Asia anyways. ;)

Seriously though, that's pretty insane! I'm guessing that YVR is pretty close to SFO as a hub for Asian flights, at least in terms of # of flights (probably not in terms of # of seats, though).

It's in the summary, 187 flights per week to Asia-Pacific (Oceania is totally AsiaPac) :)

Though once I amend Air China that number will drop by a few, but I'm sure there are some more to come...

And since you mostly asked, I've put together a chart for SFO (took forever) and likely has more errors than YVR but it gives you a rough number that shows the two are more or less equal gateways to Asia, but SFO has far larger numbers to Europe, Middle East and Latin America.

I'll post it below.

LeftCoaster
Oct 21, 2016, 6:44 PM
Here's SFO... prettymuch a list of YVR's dream destinations:

http://i.imgur.com/dbSPIyt.png

Johnny Aussie
Oct 21, 2016, 7:18 PM
Wow! u have a lot of time on your hands!!

This actually makes YVR's service level seem even more impressive! Especially for such a relatively small city.

SFO with a UA mega hub and a population of over 8 million in the greater SF area yet YVR is
70% of their total INT'L capacity but 94% of their Asia Pacific capacity. Definitely at par with SFO.
And yet not a single flight to South America either... Hmmm.

Goes to show what an Asia Pacific powerhouse YVR is.

Europe is what it is... There will be growth but it's still going to be all about Asia Pacific for the foreseeable future.

excel
Oct 21, 2016, 7:33 PM
It was just after acknowledging line up instruction but before being established on runway.

ATC said it was no problem as they didn't have anyone on finals at that time.

To the best of my knowledge it was likely the cabin not being secure or a late realization that they may have loaded the wrong departure/frequencies. Possibly slow checklist... But that is unlikely as most SOPs call for all checklists to be completed before lining up other than the lineup checklist of course. However pilots do cut corners more that one might think.

LeftCoaster
Oct 21, 2016, 9:12 PM
Wow! u have a lot of time on your hands!!

This actually makes YVR's service level seem even more impressive! Especially for such a relatively small city.

SFO with a UA mega hub and a population of over 8 million in the greater SF area yet YVR is
70% of their total INT'L capacity but 94% of their Asia Pacific capacity. Definitely at par with SFO.
And yet not a single flight to South America either... Hmmm.

Goes to show what an Asia Pacific powerhouse YVR is.

There's no doubt YVRs service form an international widebody standpoint is huge for a city/region its size.

SFO is indeed without South American connections too... interesting...

They do have PTY though which would be a nice get for YVR and within range once Copa or AC get their 737-Max planes. I'm sure O&D is not impressive but PTY is a big transfer airport and has great connections to South America.

Europe is what it is... There will be growth but it's still going to be all about Asia Pacific for the foreseeable future.

Europe is what it is... and apparently that's the fastest growing sector at YVR! 15.0% on the year to Asia's 13.9%.

Who needs Asia! :runaway:

trofirhen
Oct 21, 2016, 10:48 PM
Yeah !!!! It's already here!! oooooooooooooooops!! :whistle:

Johnny Aussie
Oct 21, 2016, 11:44 PM
There's no doubt YVRs service form an international widebody standpoint is huge for a city/region its size.

They do have PTY though which would be a nice get for YVR and within range once Copa or AC get their 737-Max planes. I'm sure O&D is not impressive but PTY is a big transfer airport and has great connections to South America.

Europe is what it is... and apparently that's the fastest growing sector at YVR! 15.0% on the year to Asia's 13.9%.

Ha ha! Yeah! Why must you tease us so!!
But who needs Asia OR Europe!! Misc Int'l blows them ALL away!!

BUT... don't forget Asia working off a much higher base... In pure number terms Asia adding the biggest numbers... :runaway::runaway:

Hourglass
Oct 22, 2016, 12:02 AM
Tks Leftcoaster for running the SFO numbers. YVR's Asian connectivity is really impressive!

Hot Rod
Oct 22, 2016, 6:33 AM
I wonder how well LAX is connected. ...

Isn't LAX the biggest International Hub on the West Coast, followed by YVR THEN SFO?

Hourglass
Oct 22, 2016, 6:36 AM

Isn't LAX the biggest International Hub on the West Coast, followed by YVR THEN SFO?

I believe LAX then SFO then YVR. SFO has better connectivity to Europe.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 22, 2016, 8:07 AM

I would definitely think it's LAX > SFO > YVR....

Lefty's chart supports SFO>YVR.

Ask him nicely and he may just have a crack at LAX!

trofirhen
Oct 22, 2016, 12:02 PM

Look again, I think not. Sorry, man.
YVR has only 4 year-round destinations to Europe. Adequate, but still limited.
But if YVR can add Singapore, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Saigon, Sapporo, Melbourne, and Tahiti (maybe seasonally), that would make it the sovereign airport of the Pacific, I'm sure

moosejaw
Oct 22, 2016, 1:05 PM
SFO intl pax count 11.2 m
http://media.flysfo.com/media/sfo/media/air-traffic/as201512.pdf

LAX intl pax count 20m
https://www.lawa.org/uploadedfiles/LAX/statistics/aircarrier-2015.pdf

YVR is slightly less than SFO
But it's percentage of intl pax vs domestic pax would be higher than both lax and SFO being they handle 75m and 50m respectively

Johnny Aussie
Oct 22, 2016, 7:04 PM
YVR ranks 10th in North America for total International passengers...

JFK
YYZ
MIA
LAX
EWR
ORD
ATL
SFO
IAH
YVR

Of the top 10, as a % of international over total passengers only JFK and YYZ are higher. Pretty impressive.

YEG
Oct 22, 2016, 7:25 PM
When will AC's TPE flight be available to book?

jmt18325
Oct 22, 2016, 9:16 PM
When it gets federal approval.

excel
Oct 23, 2016, 5:28 AM
I added the approx metro populations to the list to show how YVR really does pull more than its weight in North America. I'd be surprised if there is any airport in the world with a small surrounding population like ours that actually has this much international traffic.

JFK - 23m
YYZ - 6m
MIA - 5.5m
LAX - 18m
EWR - 23m
ORD - 10m
ATL - 6m
SFO - 9m
IAH - 6m
YVR - 2.3m

YEG
Oct 23, 2016, 5:52 AM
I'd be surprised if there is any airport in the world with a small surrounding population like ours that actually has this much international traffic.

Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha...

Johnny Aussie
Oct 23, 2016, 5:52 AM
I added the approx metro populations to the list to show how YVR really does pull more than its weight in North America. I'd be surprised if there is any airport in the world with a small surrounding population like ours that actually has this much international traffic.

JFK - 23m
YYZ - 6m
MIA - 5.5m
LAX - 18m
EWR - 23m
ORD - 10m
ATL - 6m
SFO - 9m
IAH - 6m
YVR - 2.3m

AKL is approaching 10 million annual international pax. Metro Auckland is about 1.6 million people. NZ population is almost the same as BC.

One thing is for certain though.... YVR will smash through 10 million Int'l passengers this year.

excel
Oct 23, 2016, 6:34 AM
Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha...

It's showing Dubai at 2.6m metro. Their international traffic is all due to Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airways. Oil funded mass production.

Auckland is a good example.

Hot Rod
Oct 23, 2016, 7:42 AM
I know Vancouver likes to separate out Transborder, which US airports do not.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 23, 2016, 9:10 AM
I know Vancouver likes to separate out Transborder, which US airports do not.

Most Canadian airports do this.

To compare Canadian airports with the rest of the world you have to compare total international. For example, the US would have to back out Canadian and Mexican traffic. And what about travel between the border-free Schengen countries in Europe? Even in Australia and NZ we have our own unique relationship that trans-Tasman travel is similar to the Canada/US.

By definition international means the plane takes off in one country and lands in another. So really that's the only true way to compare Canadian airports with the rest of the world.

SFTransplant
Oct 23, 2016, 3:19 PM

Don't forget SF has 3 international airports with Oakland now picking up many nonstop European routes that SFO simply doesn't have room for at this point... Not intending to provoke a city vs. city (or rather airport vs. airport) but comparing SFO and YVR is apples to oranges since it takes 3 intl airports to accommodate the Bay Area...

Two years ago, SFO had a nonstop to Lima on LAN which I had very high hopes for but it faded quickly. I'm continually perplexed (and frustrated) by the difficulty airlines have in non stops from the west coast to South America :(

trofirhen
Oct 23, 2016, 4:39 PM
Two years ago, SFO had a nonstop to Lima on LAN which I had very high hopes for but it faded quickly. I'm continually perplexed (and frustrated) by the difficulty airlines have in non stops from the west coast to South America :(
Maybe it's proximity. South America is southeast of North America, and the flights there all seem to go from East Coast or Central cities like Dallas, Houston, Miami, NY, Toronto, etc.

nname
Oct 23, 2016, 6:18 PM
Seems like AC had added second YVR-SAN flight for the month of April next year, so they would run the route 13x weekly (second flight x6). I would assume the second flight would extend through the summer?

So with westjet, YVR-SAN had gone from no flight last spring to 3 flights on some days...

Johnny Aussie
Oct 23, 2016, 7:07 PM
Don't forget SF has 3 international airports with Oakland now picking up many nonstop European routes that SFO simply doesn't have room for at this point... Not intending to provoke a city vs. city (or rather airport vs. airport) but comparing SFO and YVR is apples to oranges since it takes 3 intl airports to accommodate the Bay Area...

You are right all three need to be combined... OAK and SJC have some decent int'l connections and seem to be attracting a lot of new ones lately...

But the fact remains for a city as small as Vancouver to have so much international connectivity is phenomenal. Even if 80% of the SF area Asia Pacific traffic would be incredible for a city less than 30% its size. I'm still impressed YVR's Asia Pacific traffic is almost as high as SFO's.

Cage
Oct 24, 2016, 12:28 AM
Don't forget SF has 3 international airports with Oakland now picking up many nonstop European routes that SFO simply doesn't have room for at this point... Not intending to provoke a city vs. city (or rather airport vs. airport) but comparing SFO and YVR is apples to oranges since it takes 3 intl airports to accommodate the Bay Area.(

Maybe I'm missing something here, but when I look at OAK and SJC international traffic I don't think about major competition for SFO.

OAK is a hub for Norwegian with less than daily services to 3 year round destinations and another 2 summer seasonal.

SJC has BA and LH Cityline to Europe. Their Asia traffic is more impressive At PEK, PVG, and NRT. Five daily flights hardly sounds impressive for a world gateway region.

SFO could easily handle all the TransAt and TansPac flights from the other two airports, although I guess this would impact domestic operations at A and G concourses. There would be a knock effect of making the terminal 1 renovations that much harder.

Klazu
Oct 24, 2016, 1:46 AM
I don't think it has been mentioned before, but I just came back from dropping someone at the airport and it looked to me like they changed all the road sign on the way to the airport all the way from north of Arthur Laing Bridge. I don't recall everything being in English and French before.

They have also added a lot more signs for the outlet which is now called Vancouver Airport Designer Outlet. Don't recall that name earlier either.

moosejaw
Oct 24, 2016, 3:17 AM
I don't think it has been mentioned before, but I just came back from dropping someone at the airport and it looked to me like they changed all the road sign on the way to the airport all the way from north of Arthur Laing Bridge. I don't recall everything being in English and French before.

They have also added a lot more signs for the outlet which is now called Vancouver Airport Designer Outlet. Don't recall that name earlier either.
Is this in vancouver or sea island?
Sea Island has always had bilingual signs, vancouver proper....no

Klazu
Oct 24, 2016, 3:36 AM
On Sea Island. I have driven to airport quite a few times and I can almost swear all the signs are new, but perhaps I am imagining things. :)

POCO
Oct 24, 2016, 3:49 AM
Just checked streetview. They've been bilingual since atleast August 2015.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 24, 2016, 8:38 AM
Seems like AC had added second YVR-SAN flight for the month of April next year, so they would run the route 13x weekly (second flight x6). I would assume the second flight would extend through the summer?

So with westjet, YVR-SAN had gone from no flight last spring to 3 flights on some days...

Yes indeed. AC's summer schedule runs May - October (give or take) so this may indicate once the summer schedule starts to roll out we may in fact see this go double daily year-round. AC must see this as a successful route... It definitely was the largest unserved transborder route from YVR prior to its re-launch.

AC has a pattern of rolling out its international summer schedule first (normally September through November - eg last year YVR-DUB was announced in late November) then doing North America a few months later.

moosejaw
Oct 24, 2016, 12:27 PM
On Sea Island. I have driven to airport quite a few times and I can almost swear all the signs are new, but perhaps I am imagining things. :)

Just checked streetview. They've been bilingual since atleast August 2015.

Pretty sure they were bilingual since i was a kid? These are the blue signs right?
At age 5 i remember helping my mom drive back home to kensington after dropping dad off at the airport for a business trip. Mom just didn't know her way around town except for work and safeway.

I imagine the airport signage is the same requirement as national parks. (EG....banff national park) I read somewhere that signs issued by the Federal Govt are required to be Bilingual.

Perhaps you are right Klazu as they might have made a change that made the french language more apparent, but i assure you as a kid its always been there. I just havent been back in Vancouver for the last ten years at least.

Acajack
Oct 24, 2016, 1:33 PM
Pretty sure they were bilingual since i was a kid? These are the blue signs right?
At age 5 i remember helping my mom drive back home to kensington after dropping dad off at the airport for a business trip. Mom just didn't know her way around town except for work and safeway.

I imagine the airport signage is the same requirement as national parks. (EG....banff national park) I read somewhere that signs issued by the Federal Govt are required to be Bilingual.

Perhaps you are right Klazu as they might have made a change that made the french language more apparent, but i assure you as a kid its always been there. I just havent been back in Vancouver for the last ten years at least.

You're right. The signs have probably been bilingual on federal property since the late 70s-early 80s at least.

SFUVancouver
Oct 24, 2016, 3:47 PM
Perhaps a long-shot, but a colourful tail that's a pretty plausible get for YVR could be Hawaiian:

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/airliners/7/9/3/4034397.jpg?v=v4b6b1dbf6e3

[Edit] Solved!

Thank you moosejaw for the assist.

moosejaw
Oct 24, 2016, 4:01 PM
Here you go SFU
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/airliners/7/9/3/4034397.jpg?v=v4b6b1dbf6e3

trofirhen
Oct 24, 2016, 4:01 PM
what aircraft type is that, anyway?

jmt18325
Oct 24, 2016, 5:13 PM
Isn't that an A330?

SFUVancouver
Oct 24, 2016, 6:17 PM
Isn't that an A330?

Yes, an A330-200.

More specifically, it's an Airbus A330-243, registered N392HA, and operated by Hawaiian Airlines.

It is 3.6 years old, came off the assembly line in Toulouse and had its first flight on the 22nd of March, 2013, and it was delivered to lessor HKAC on the 11th of April, 2013. It is currently leased from Avalon.

In Hawaiian Airlines service, it goes by the special fleet name Hikianalia and it just got a temporary promotional livery for the Disney film Moana.

abbymk
Oct 24, 2016, 6:18 PM
One airline I haven't seen mentioned is Asiana. Not a colourful plane but the tail has a lot of colour.

excel
Oct 24, 2016, 6:49 PM
The signage has always been bilingual but went through upgrades shortly after the Canada line was finished and again more recently with more legible signs.

nname
Oct 24, 2016, 7:01 PM
Wait wait... I thought Johnny said its an Asian carrier :???:

Anyways, rumors are going around that MU would start KMG-NKG-YVR on Dec 20th...

And... a Chinese news site mentioned that Canada and China both agreed to have more talk about the bilateral in 2017, and... also mentioned that Air Canada is studying the potential of new routes to some secondary Chinese airports.

Source in Chinese (http://news.carnoc.com/list/374/374113.html)

SFUVancouver
Oct 24, 2016, 7:36 PM
Wait wait... I thought Johnny said its an Asian carrier :???:

Oops. Missed that hint. I haven't been reading the forum as steadily as normal.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 25, 2016, 6:38 AM
BA286 SFO-LHR has diverted to YVR.

Approx 2 hours into the flight over South western Saskatchewan, the flight turned WNW then WSW and landed in YVR about 15 mins ago.

It looked like it was going to head for YYC but turned WSW then headed straight for YVR.

If I learn anything more I'll post it.

Looks like it just parked at D64. A medical emergency.