PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133

Johnny Aussie
Nov 29, 2016, 5:46 PM
Hong Kong Airlines will be overseas carrier #23 operating to YVR!

Breakdown by continent:

Asia 14
Europe 7
Australia (Oceania) 2

I think the 332 will be weight restricted from HKG though, so they may put the 359 on it anyway.

That's the plan. They were planning on launching with the 359 but couldn't wait to get to YVR! :)

XIY-PVG-YVR maybe?

Yes, it's in quite a few of Chinese media now... This is coming from the speeches from the CEO of the Northwest branch of China Eastern during an event :D

That's sounds plausible. It would be too early to speculate if China-Canada will be getting more frequencies. The cap remains! Another reason why HX is starting up... Use HKG as a hub.

We may see all the swing gates inc C\D 48 & 49 be used or international flights during that block.

Sounds like this may be needed!

Sounds like they need to move quickly on getting shovels in the ground with the expansion of the international terminal.

Shovels would be a good start!

I wonder if AC is considering making YVR-DEL year round.

Being a heavy VFR route and seasonal traffic patterns I doubt it for now. Most VFR traffic occurs exactly when this flight is operating. It's just too hot in the northern Indian summers for most people visiting family there. They travel in the autumn and winter.

SFUVancouver
Nov 29, 2016, 6:04 PM
Just catching up...

That's great news about Hong Kong Airlines! 23 foreign tails at YVR, for a little city on the edge of the country, is pretty incredible.

As for a second airport terminal hotel, I think that YVR could pursue this in the near- to mid-term. My hunch is that it would be incorporated into the Templeton Sation Office Park that's been slowly moving forward and has a ways to go yet. I don't think a mid-market hotel could afford a terminal-connected location and its lease rates, plus it would cannibalize business from the Fairmont. A Sea Island mid-market business hotel that's adjacent to a Canada Line station - free for travel within Sea Island - would do great and definitely appeal to an operator that would only need to run shuttle service for the 4 hours or so overnight when the SkyTrain is closed.

Now, a second full-service terminal hotel - or an expansion of the Fairmont - might be a medium- to long-term opportunity, and its future provision should be incorporated into the design of the expanded/replacement Transborder terminal.

deasine
Nov 30, 2016, 1:24 PM
Interestingly CX and AC applied to Transport Canada for joint codeshare agreements on each other's fleet likely as a response to HX.

Gordon
Nov 30, 2016, 1:30 PM
Is it not unusual that that airlines from competing alliances would sign a code share agreement?

deasine
Nov 30, 2016, 1:49 PM
Is it not unusual that that airlines from competing alliances would sign a code share agreement?

Well it isn't "unusual" per say nowadays but this one is unprecedented as Star Alliance generally discourages this from occurring. Cathay Pacific and Air New Zealand codeshare agreement is the only other major cross-alliance codeshare partnership (exception of Air China agreements which are mostly allowed likely for political reasons).

casper
Nov 30, 2016, 2:21 PM

I don't think it is all that unusual. Cathay and Air Canada have worked together for years. Cathay used Air Canada to provide connections to most of Canada from Vancouver for years.

Air Canada has code shared on Jet into India before and Middle Eastern Airlines into Lebanon as well as Quants into Australia.

Cage
Nov 30, 2016, 4:34 PM
CX and AC are codesharing in Canada and Hong Kong because they both offer industry standard prorates and fare calculations are industry standard.

Like BA, CX is fed up with WS nonstandard practices and incredibly high prorates. For example, it's cheaper for CX to codeshare with AC than with WS on YYC-YVR because AC will get a cheaper rate on CX services HKG-BKK than from TG.

Johnny Aussie
Nov 30, 2016, 6:59 PM
The engine just keeps rolling!

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/october/traffic-update-oct16.pdf?la=en

Overall up 11.5% YTD up 9.5%
Domestic up 7.6% YTD up 7.6%
Transborder up 12.4% YTD up 6.5%
Asia Pacific up 18.3% YTD up 14.9%
Europe up 18.1% YTD up 17.1%
Misc Int'l up 46.2% YTD up 27.1%
TTL INTL up 16.1% YTD up 11.4%

Total pax increased over 183,000 from Oct 2015!

SFUVancouver
Nov 30, 2016, 7:12 PM
The engine just keeps rolling!

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/october/traffic-update-oct16.pdf?la=en

Overall up 11.5% YTD up 9.5%
Domestic up 7.6% YTD up 7.6%
Transborder up 12.4% YTD up 6.5%
Asia Pacific up 18.3% YTD up 14.9%
Europe up 18.1% YTD up 17.1%
Misc Int'l up 46.2% YTD up 27.1%
TTL INTL up 16.1% YTD up 11.4%

Total pax increased over 183,000 from Oct 2015!

That's awesome!

Thanks for the head's up that it's been posted.

Aside from the numbers that you quoted, what jumped out to me was that jet runway movements are down -1.1% and total runway movements -2.8% but total tonnes on runway are up 8.8%(!); a sure sign of major up-gauging of aircraft.

Some further breakdown of the YVR October 2016 & Year to Date 2016 numbers.

Total Passengers (Domestic, Transborder, and International) | October 2016 – 1,780,096 [up 11.5% from October 2015]
Total Passengers (Domestic, Transborder, and International) | Year to Date 2016 – 18,838,334 [up 9.5% from Year to Date 2015]

Domestic | October 2016 – 924,594 [up 6.6% from October 2015]
Domestic | Year to Date 2016 – 9,387,269 [up 7.0% from Year to Date 2015]

Total International (incl. Transborder) | October 2016 – 846,777 [up 16.1% from October 2015]
Total International (incl. Transborder) | Year to Date 2016 – 9,451,065 [up 11.4% from Year to Date 2015]

Transborder | October 2016 – 410,071 [up 12.4% from October 2015]
Transborder | Year to Date 2016 – 4,623,755 [up 6.5% from Year to Date 2015]

International – Asia Pacific | October 2016 – 288,954 [up 18.3% from October 2015]
International – Asia Pacific | Year to Date 2016 – 2,955,653 [up 14.9% from Year to Date 2015]

International – Europe | October 2016 – 117,693 [up 18.1% from October 2015]
International – Europe | Year to Date 2016 – 1,423,186 [up 17.1% from Year to Date 2015]

[edit: I skipped Miscellaneous International, so the numbers of Transborder, Asia, and Europe do not add up to the Total International.]

Johnny Aussie
Nov 30, 2016, 11:44 PM
That's awesome!

Thanks for the head's up that it's been posted.

Aside from the numbers that you quoted, what jumped out to me was that jet runway movements are down -1.1% and total runway movements -2.8% but total tonnes on runway are up 8.8%(!); a sure sign of major up-gauging of aircraft!

Thanks for your additional info!

Saw the stats just while waking up so I thought I'd get a jump start.

Looks like 22 million will be surpassed this year... more than likely anyway!

Gordon
Dec 1, 2016, 3:29 AM
Terminal expansion:

The east concourse expansion is expected in to start construction in the next 5 years or so. it will include between 6 - 12 bridged gates & 5 commuter gates (I suspect a fair bit of ground improvement will be required prior to construction)

The west concourse expansion is expected to be started first.

(source: YVR2037)

I would think that if the 2 int'l swing gates were in use ac could use b27 & 28 for domestic overflow.

thenoflyzone
Dec 1, 2016, 2:26 PM
I think the 332 will be weight restricted from HKG though, so they may put the 359 on it anyway.

If anything the westbound leg will be slightly weight restricted, not the flight out of HKG.

Either way, i don't think it will be that bad. Their oldest A332 is 7 years old. Their newest barely 5 years old. They should have plenty of 238t MTOW A332s. Capable of 12,500 km. YVR-HKG is well below that.

Gordon
Dec 1, 2016, 5:33 PM
Once the east concourse expansion is in use the East apron hold room (gates 90 - 96 will be removed.

LeftCoaster
Dec 1, 2016, 11:06 PM
Chinese carrier Juneyao airlines ordered 10 787-9s for delivery beginning in 2018 with the intent to serve Europe and North America. YVR could be a logical early airport, if they can get permission from the Canadian government.
http://atwonline.com/airframes/juneyao-airlines-orders-10-boeing-787-9s

They recently became a Star Alliance connecting partner and have indicated they may wish to join the alliance in the future.

Their all red livery is particularly striking:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Juneyao_Airlines_Airbus_A321-211_at_Shanghai_Hongqiao.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneyao_Airlines

s211
Dec 1, 2016, 11:10 PM
^ Must get lots of speeding tickets.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 1, 2016, 11:41 PM
Talking about hitting 22 million pax.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/media/news-releases/2016/yvr-celebrates-record-passenger-growth-with-air-canada

Highlighting Air Canada's international route expansion... 8 since 2015 and 5 more next year.. so far!

trofirhen
Dec 2, 2016, 12:11 AM
Once the east concourse expansion is in use the East apron hold room (gates 90 - 96 will be removed.
That's the little "satellite" that does Seattle and Portland. Do you have any renders of future - East -USA portion, that is? Thanks:) If anyone has anything visual, please post it!!!!

Gordon
Dec 2, 2016, 3:24 AM
Yes It is. There should be more information in January. Apparently the gates will be removed in the near future. Delta uses those jet bridges fairly for their Seattle & LA Flights.

casper
Dec 2, 2016, 4:10 AM
Yes It is. There should be more information in January. Apparently the gates will be removed in the near future. Delta uses those jet bridges fairly for their Seattle & LA Flights.

Are they going to start bussing to remote stands?

Gordon
Dec 2, 2016, 4:38 AM
I'm not sure which gates they are referring to. I would expet the brodges 90-92 will be requires moe & more often until the expansion is done in 5 years or so

Johnny Aussie
Dec 2, 2016, 10:07 AM
Just got confirmation today YVR will be getting another new airline.

This one is also colourful but is certainly more "ground breaking" than HX to HKG.

However, we are going to have to wait a little bit longer for this one... startup expected early 2018.

Of course a lot can happen between now and then... but we will all have to be patient!

That's all I'm saying!! Have fun with the speculation! Sorry if I drive you crazy because of course the alternative was not saying anything!!

trofirhen
Dec 2, 2016, 11:49 AM
Just got confirmation today YVR will be getting another new airline.

This one is also colourful but is certainly more "ground breaking" than HX to HKG.

However, we are going to have to wait a little bit longer for this one... startup expected early 2018.

Of course a lot can happen between now and then... but we will all have to be patient!

That's all I'm saying!! Have fun with the speculation! Sorry if I drive you crazy because of course the alternative was not saying anything!!
I bet it's Thai International.

Gordon
Dec 2, 2016, 6:35 PM
The trans boarder apron holdroom will removed once the East concourse expansion is built, There will be a transition plan announced closer to the time when the extension is built. The west concourse expansion should start later this year.
West Jet Encore has 2 new gates A6 & A7 how are they accessed because the temporary structure for gates 8 9 & 10 is still in place?

POCO
Dec 2, 2016, 6:40 PM
I bet it's Thai International.

I'm thinking seasonal SQ, they have a bunch of A350s coming.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 2, 2016, 6:40 PM
The trans boarder apron holdroom will removed once the East concourse expansion is built, There will be a transition plan announced closer to the time when the extension is built. The west concourse expansion should start later this year.
West Jet Encore has 2 new gates A6 & A7 how are they accessed because the temporary structure for gates 8 9 & 10 is still in place?

Later this year? Or do you mean next year?

Later this year would have to be in a couple of weeks.

Gordon
Dec 2, 2016, 6:50 PM
With in the next year would be construction start. I would assume construction would take around 2 years. originally the 2nd phase of he west Chvron as it was called was i think going to be 6 gates.

excel
Dec 2, 2016, 7:13 PM
Johnny you only gave us a week to decompose from the HX announcement suspense and now have us on suspense for what sounds like could be months before the next official announcement! You're killing us. But of course I welcome the good news :)

trofirhen
Dec 2, 2016, 7:27 PM
I'm thinking seasonal SQ, they have a bunch of A350s coming.
Hey yeah!!!! That would be even cooler !! ... But year-round wouldbe even better. :tup:

Johnny Aussie
Dec 2, 2016, 7:51 PM
Johnny you only gave us a week to decompose from the HX announcement suspense and now have us on suspense for what sounds like could be months before the next official announcement! You're killing us. But of course I welcome the good news :)

I know I'm evil!

It's all pretty exciting what's happening.

SFUVancouver
Dec 2, 2016, 8:06 PM
^ Being on pins and needles with anticipation for yet another international carrier announcement is a nice problem to have!

Thanks for the early head's up!

rxp
Dec 2, 2016, 8:56 PM
wait... HK airlines was what I was waiting for all time? and now something slightly bigger? I dont even know what to say...

So this "new" potential airline.... how big is it? Air France big? or something like Iceland air? or rouge to Gatwick big?

Johnny Aussie
Dec 2, 2016, 9:47 PM
wait... HK airlines was what I was waiting for all time? and now something slightly bigger? I dont even know what to say...

So this "new" potential airline.... how big is it? Air France big? or something like Iceland air? or rouge to Gatwick big?

It's "bigger" in the sense of the route.. another "game changing" route. As for how big the airline is well it's bigger than Croatia Airlines but smaller than Delta.

trofirhen
Dec 2, 2016, 10:30 PM
It's "bigger" in the sense of the route.. another "game changing" route. As for how big the airline is well it's bigger than Croatia Airlines but smaller than Delta.
ha ... ha ... ha.... very funny, Johnny! :eviltongue:

thenoflyzone
Dec 2, 2016, 11:04 PM
My money is on SQ as well.

nname
Dec 2, 2016, 11:54 PM
Well, major expansion in YVR was pretty much limited to Air Canada, Chinese Airlines (yes, HX is part of Hainan group), and Mexican Airlines... is this something different this time?

My money is on either SQ or TG.

casper
Dec 3, 2016, 12:19 AM
Well, major expansion in YVR was pretty much limited to Air Canada, Chinese Airlines (yes, HX is part of Hainan group), and Mexican Airlines... is this something different this time?

My money is on either SQ or TH.

A significant amount of that expansion was also from increasing the density of existing aircraft.

rxp
Dec 3, 2016, 12:43 AM
ha ... ha ... ha.... very funny, Johnny! :eviltongue:

I concur... you could have narrowed it a bit more...

LeftCoaster
Dec 3, 2016, 1:20 AM
Damn. My money was on Croatia Airlines. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Klazu
Dec 3, 2016, 3:27 AM
While I don't doubt Johnny having some real information he's teasing us with, it is easy to just claim that there YVR will see a new airline in next year or so an be absolutely right. That is 100% sure to happen in that timeframe. ;)

Johnny Aussie
Dec 3, 2016, 3:54 AM
While I don't doubt Johnny having some real information he's teasing us with, it is easy to just claim that there YVR will see a new airline in next year or so an be absolutely right. That is 100% sure to happen in that timeframe. ;)

In this case:

1) the carrier is confirmed
2) the route is confirmed
3) the equipment is confirmed
4) the time frame is confirmed
5) absolute start date is unconfirmed

This is one of the carriers that has been in progress talks... There are obviously more. Some carriers are able to confirm quicker than others. In fact, other carriers may solidify something sooner and even be able to launch sooner.

Having said all that... Obviously things can change... but as of right now it is "definitely" happening.

Denscity
Dec 3, 2016, 4:21 AM
Can you say if its to Asia or not Johnny?

Hourglass
Dec 3, 2016, 5:21 AM
A significant amount of that expansion was also from increasing the density of existing aircraft.

Vietnam Airlines is also a possibility, although I believe that was being discussed as a tag-on to LAX

Klazu
Dec 3, 2016, 5:35 AM
Btw, I wasn't joking on or doubting Johnny (who always has the best scoops for this thread :tup:), but just stating how amazingly well YVR is doing when it is pretty much a given that we will see a new airline (or likely few) a year start flying to YVR. :)

Johnny Aussie
Dec 3, 2016, 5:44 AM
Now back to China!

I see CA is reducing the YEG cargo flights to only 2 weekly. I don't know if that's permanent or not but 4 were allocated for cargo. I'm just thinking about perhaps more opportunities for YVR on the horizon. As we all know not many frequencies available.

thenoflyzone
Dec 4, 2016, 3:26 PM
Now back to China!

I see CA is reducing the YEG cargo flights to only 2 weekly. I don't know if that's permanent or not but 4 were allocated for cargo. I'm just thinking about perhaps more opportunities for YVR on the horizon. As we all know not many frequencies available.

OR maybe to up YUL to 6x weekly.

trofirhen
Dec 4, 2016, 8:45 PM

In this case:

1) the carrier is confirmed
2) the route is confirmed
3) the equipment is confirmed
4) the time frame is confirmed
5) absolute start date is unconfirmed

This is one of the carriers that has been in progress talks... There are obviously more. Some carriers are able to confirm quicker than others. In fact, other carriers may solidify something sooner and even be able to launch sooner.

Having said all that... Obviously things can change... but as of right now it is "definitely" happening.

Now back to China!

Johnny, your remark 'now, back to China!' would indicate that this is not a Chinese route, obviously, and besides we just got Hong Kong airlines.
And I don't know if a route to Viet Nam (Saigon?) would really be a "game changer" as you stated it would be. You said the route was confirmed.
This sounds rather big-time, and I'm not sure Vitnamese would fit that category. We already have Europe, plus the Philippines. Could this be Thai or Singapore?
This would never be Europe,
The Gulf M3 are out of it,and South America (prob Lima if anything), has a .00001% of being part of it. So it pretty near has to be Asia / Pacific. At least, I'm guessing so.:koko:
Maybe it's twice daily to Orlando or Miami

teriyaki
Dec 4, 2016, 10:59 PM
Johnny, your remark 'now, back to China!' would indicate that this is not a Chinese route, obviously, and besides we just got Hong Kong airlines.
And I don't know if a route to Viet Nam (Saigon?) would really be a "game changer" as you stated it would be. You said the route was confirmed.
This sounds rather big-time, and I'm not sure Vitnamese would fit that category. We already have Europe, plus the Philippines. Could this be Thai or Singapore?
The Gulf M3 are out of it,and South America (prob Lima if anything), has a .00001% of being part of it. So it pretty near has to be Asia / Pacific. At least, I'm guessing so.:koko:

It'll come out in due time, but great deductive reasoning.
Vietnam Airlines and Thai seem to be hogging quite some spotlight in some forum circles. Although, also wouldn't rule out SQ coming back with the A350's, I would really like to see that one happen.

trofirhen
Dec 4, 2016, 11:03 PM
Vietnam Airlines and Thai seem to be hogging quite some spotlight in some forum circles. Although, also wouldn't rule out SQ coming back with the A350's, I would really like to see that one happen.
:tup:that's 2x !

POCO
Dec 4, 2016, 11:06 PM

I doubt it's Thai because the bearly skirt EU flying bans. I'm thinking Singapore. Norweign would be really cool (and colourful).

trofirhen
Dec 4, 2016, 11:25 PM
I doubt it's Thai because the bearly skirt EU flying bans. I'm thinking Singapore. Norweign would be really cool (and colourful).
Interesting... I had never considered Norwegian, as I understand there are some Norway non-EU status §#¤% preventing it flying here. Be great if it could (save$$$) but if anything, SQL

teriyaki
Dec 5, 2016, 1:16 AM
Interesting... I had never considered Norwegian, as I understand there are some Norway non-EU status §#¤% preventing it flying here. Be great if it could (save$$$) but if anything, SQL

DOT just approved the Norwegian flights across the border, so it could be possible that Canada follows suit with this.

trofirhen
Dec 5, 2016, 4:09 PM

DOT just approved the Norwegian flights across the border, so it could be possible that Canada follows suit with this.
If they (Norwegian) do get landing rights, they'll get YYZ, maybe YUL, but YVR I doubt it. We're limited to the "Big 4" & summer stuff, but that's where it seems to stop.
Their Barcelona hub might work though, if only for summer seasonal, if allowed by The Ministry.

casper
Dec 5, 2016, 7:02 PM
If they (Norwegian) do get landing rights, they'll get YYZ, maybe YUL, but YVR I doubt it. We're limited to the "Big 4" & summer stuff, but that's where it seems to stop.
Their Barcelona hub might work though, if only for summer seasonal, if allowed by The Ministry.

There is an open skies agreement between Canada and Europe. So most European airlines are free to fly to any Canadian airport.

Norwegian is a strange strange airline. I believe they have an unusual ownership structure and have there in flight employees based out of low cost regions instead of their home country. The reason they had so much difficulty getting access to the US market.

SFUVancouver
Dec 5, 2016, 8:58 PM
There is an open skies agreement between Canada and Europe. So most European airlines are free to fly to any Canadian airport.

Norwegian is a strange strange airline. I believe they have an unusual ownership structure and have there in flight employees based out of low cost regions instead of their home country. The reason they had so much difficulty getting access to the US market.

And Norwegian has four air operating certificates but shares, I believe, aircraft between entities.

casper
Dec 6, 2016, 1:33 AM
And Norwegian has four air operating certificates but shares, I believe, aircraft between entities.

I have no experience with aviation authorities, but my experience with other regulators is they want to know who to hold accountable if there is a violation of the license. In simple terms, who is willing to say I take responsibility and will be the one you bring into court if things go wrong. Hard to do when there is a bit of shell game like that.

Hourglass
Dec 6, 2016, 6:11 AM

Another possibility -- Cebu Pacific mentioned a year or so ago they wanted to fly to Canada. A bright yellow tail counts as colorful, right? ;)

Johnny Aussie
Dec 6, 2016, 6:43 AM
Another possibility -- Cebu Pacific mentioned a year or so ago they wanted to fly to Canada. A bright yellow tail counts as colorful, right? ;)

Yes! It sure is colourful!

YVR already has direct flights to MNL :)

But this is more groundbreaking.

There are a few acceptable definitions of "groundbreaking" one of them is quite appropriate for this.....

I'll leave it that!

trofirhen
Dec 6, 2016, 7:04 AM

There a few acceptable definitions of "groundbreaking" one of them is quite appropriate for this.....

I'll leave it that!
You mentioned "groundbreaking" and "game changing." Hmm. Sounds big time ...

Hourglass
Dec 6, 2016, 10:25 AM

There are a few acceptable definitions of "groundbreaking" one of them is quite appropriate for this.....

I'll leave it that!

Hmm... intriguing. So probably a destination currently unserved from YVR. Most likely an Asian carrier (but maybe not from China given that frequencies are pretty much maxed). Likely an Asian carrier than isn't currently serving YVR. Given the economics, I'd also say it's probably a current or future A350 or B787 operator.

Looking at the list of possibilities (from Wikipedia, so maybe not that current):

Asian airlines who have A350 in fleet or on order who meet the above criteria:
- AirAsia X
- Asiana (probably not the one since ICN already served by KL/AC)
- Singapore Airlines - yes, would love to see them back in YVR
- Thai Airways - already talked about this one, but only 4 on order
- Vietnam Airlines - maybe, but talked about as tag-on from USA

Asian airlines who have B787 in fleet or on order who meet the above criteria:
- Air India - but DEL already served by AC. Unlikely they'd do BOM
- Jet - same as Air India
- Singapore Airlines - hmm
- Vietnam Airlines - hmm again

As an aside, I note Norwegian also operates B787s too...

Based on these parameters, it would seem to come back to SQ, TG and possibly VN. Haven't heard anything about D7 looking to serve Vancouver. A nonstop SIN-YVR flight could be considered groundbreaking!

Of course assumptions about plane type could be wrong, since an A330 or even 767 can reach Asia from YVR. Fun to speculate though...

Canadian74
Dec 6, 2016, 4:36 PM
Thai or SQ imo

SpongeG
Dec 6, 2016, 6:19 PM
norweigen is offering $69 flights from the usa to europe

http://www.coastalliving.com/travel/other-coasts/cheap-airfare-to-europe-norweigan-air

Denscity
Dec 6, 2016, 6:54 PM
Gonna go way out on a limb and say Copa to Panama?

Johnny Aussie
Dec 6, 2016, 7:32 PM
Hmm... intriguing.

Of course assumptions about plane type could be wrong, since an A330 or even 767 can reach Asia from YVR. Fun to speculate though...

It sure is fun isn't it!?

Getting ready for my annual trek to YVR for XMAS! I hear y'all have had snow already ;)

Gordon
Dec 6, 2016, 9:06 PM
Could the air line ne Singapore or a major South American carrier?

Pier A

Pier A now has 6 gates it seems that it could handle all of encore's & that traffic that uses B23.

mezzanine
Dec 6, 2016, 10:16 PM
Via flyertalk. an announcement of an AC destination from YVR to a new NA destination is imminent.

I think SLC, BOS or even IAD as a longshot.

“For 2107, Air Canada has already announced five new cities (out of YVR) it will be flying to,” she said.

The five new destinations for 2017 are Gatwick, Frankfurt, Taipei, Nagoya and Dallas.

Air Canada’s VP Global Sales Duncan Bureau said a sixth destination – to a North American city – is expected to be announced shortly. In the past four years the company has grown by $4 billion in new revenues.

http://www.travelweek.ca/news/air-canada-ends-2016-flying-high-record-growth-vancouver/

trofirhen
Dec 6, 2016, 10:21 PM
Johnny; look what you've gone and done !!! You have everybody's mind obsessed with this new "game changing, " "groundbreaking" route !! You bad kid. :diablo:
Boy, though, I'd love to see a flight to São Paulo that would connect with Asia flights. Now that would be GAME CHANGING and GROUNDBREAKING!!
I'm not expecting anything as dramatic as that, though. Several times you've said South America won't work from YVR, so I'll bet my burnt matchsticks on SQL from Singapore.

Vin
Dec 6, 2016, 10:55 PM
My last flight with BA was 3 hours late. According to EU law, one can seek compensation from the airline. AirHelp is quick to offer their assistance. Does anyone have an experience with that?

As for the topic of which airline might come. AirAsiaX from Kuala Lumpur could be a contender since they are pretty ambitious. Would be their debut to North America too. It would be great to be able to connect directly to one of Air Asia's budget airline hubs in SE Asia (Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and Jakarta) as they offer really good prices to connect to other destinations.

casper
Dec 7, 2016, 12:31 AM
Johnny; look what you've gone and done !!! You have everybody's mind obsessed with this new "game changing, " "groundbreaking" route !! You bad kid. :diablo:
Boy, though, I'd love to see a flight to São Paulo that would connect with Asia flights. Now that would be GAME CHANGING and GROUNDBREAKING!!
I'm not expecting anything as dramatic as that, though. Several times you've said South America won't work from YVR, so I'll bet my burnt matchsticks on SQL from Singapore.

Yes, this is almost as bad as kids speculating on what Santa will bring for Christmas.

Perhaps this off-topic aviation spot will serve as a distraction ( https://youtu.be/IWJeqrvoF6M) Good rational for recent Air Force decision.

Back to the topic at hand.....

I am going to speculate it is South America, operated by an Asia airline. Not certain which. JAL many years ago operated YVR to Mexico City. Korean Air was struggling on service to Brazil. Probably not Brazil but perhaps another South American destination.

LeftCoaster
Dec 7, 2016, 1:05 AM
Via flyertalk. an announcement of an AC destination from YVR to a new NA destination is imminent.

I think SLC, BOS or even IAD as a longshot.

http://www.travelweek.ca/news/air-canada-ends-2016-flying-high-record-growth-vancouver/

Nice little piece of news. My guess is Houston. The UA flights there are always rammed and Air Canada's game lately seem to be adding service to already proven routes.

Second guess would be Dulles. United doesn't seem to want to serve it and O&D is quite high.

Back to the topic at hand.....

I am going to speculate it is South America, operated by an Asia airline. Not certain which. JAL many years ago operated YVR to Mexico City. Korean Air was struggling on service to Brazil. Probably not Brazil but perhaps another South American destination.

That's an interesting thought, but not for this since Johnny said it was a new tail.

I wonder what the rights are like for some of the airlines though. Doubtful it makes sense from a demand perspective, but a JAL-YVR-LIM route works well with JAL's One World partners, pairs Japan up with the west coast of South America, which for some strange reason has longstanding ties with Japan, and flies to a destination for which YVR would have some decent demand, given mining interests etc...

vanlaw
Dec 7, 2016, 2:20 AM
I’ll go with the same guess I had on the last one – Southwest to Denver or Chicago-Midway. Colourful tail and would be “groundbreaking” in the sense that it would be their first (or one of a couple announced at same time) Canadian destination. Probably wrong, but if I keep guessing this I’m sure to be right at some point in the next few years.

CareerShow
Dec 7, 2016, 5:47 AM
If i had to guess I would have to go South America as well, only because of the "groundbreaking" hint that has been given. That is my darkhorse pick and Ill say Lan to Santiago Chile. If i had a realistic pick its Singapore airlines direct service, with a continuation to either toronto or a US city.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 7, 2016, 5:55 AM
Further to mezzanine's post above....

Air Canada continues to expand YVR services!

AC will launch daily year round flights from YVR to DEN effective 18 May 2017.

Flights will operate twice daily through 9 September and then once daily throughout the fall and winter.

Flights will be operated by Jazz CRAs.

Official announcement expected soon.

nname
Dec 7, 2016, 6:07 AM
Further to mezzanine's post above....

AC will launch daily year round flights from YVR to DEN effective 18 May 2017.

Flights will operate twice daily through 9 September and then once daily throughout the fall and winter.

Flights will be operated by Jazz CRAs.

Official announcement expected soon.

Hmm... I wonder where did AC find all these CRAs... They've used it to launch SJC, SAN, DFW, and now DEN... that's 7 daily flights in total?

Spork
Dec 7, 2016, 6:20 AM
My last flight with BA was 3 hours late. According to EU law, one can seek compensation from the airline. AirHelp is quick to offer their assistance. Does anyone have an experience with that?

I had a BA flight delayed by 24 hours 2 years ago and I just went straight to BA (info here (https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/delayed-or-cancelled-flights/compensation)). They tried to worm out of it, but by following people's experiences on FlyerTalk, I knew that persistance would pay off. I think that I complained to their authority to put pressure on them, but three months after my initial claim, I got a cheque for 600EUR. The best part was that this was on a work flight, and the delay meant that I got to spend a sunny winter day in Vancouver with my girlfriend. :)

Johnny Aussie
Dec 7, 2016, 6:35 AM
Hmm... I wonder where did AC find all these CRAs... They've used it to launch SJC, SAN, DFW, and now DEN... that's 7 daily flights in total?

Scrounging them up from somewhere!

This will push YVR AC transborder ops to 30 daily next summer.

casper
Dec 7, 2016, 6:40 AM

AC or Jazz (not certain of the exact financial arrangement) has been buying more CRA.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 7, 2016, 6:47 AM
AC or Jazz (not certain of the exact financial arrangement) has been buying more CRA.

You are correct!!

http://chorusaviation.ca/2016-04-26-Chorus-Aviation-to-acquire-five-Bombardier-CRJ900-aircraft

trofirhen
Dec 7, 2016, 6:57 AM
If i had to guess I would have to go South America as well, only because of the "groundbreaking" hint that has been given. That is my darkhorse pick and Ill say Lan to Santiago Chile. If i had a realistic pick its Singapore airlines direct service, with a continuation to either toronto or a US city.
Please remember that we already have CX HK> YVR> JFK, and PAL MNL>YVR> YYZ. So we already have SE Asia to YYZ the USA via YVR.
That would not be "groundbreaking" and or "game changer," as it already exists, so I reckon South America is not totally ruled out.

CareerShow
Dec 7, 2016, 8:22 AM
Scrounging them up from somewhere!

This will push YVR AC transborder ops to 30 daily next summer.

Whats the breakdown? LAX 5 daily a319 a320 and a321, SFO 4 daily a319 and a320, Newark 1 daily 789, Chicago 1 daily E90, San Diego 1 daily CRA, San Jose 2 daily CRA, Dallas 1 daily CRA, Denver 2 daily CRA, Seattle 5-8 daily? DH4, Portland 4-6 daily? DH4?, Anchorage 1 Daily a319, Vegas 2 daily? 763 and a321/a319, Honolulu and Maui approx 1 daily 763?

Also with regards to my above comment I will change it then to two "game changing" options. First is SQ from Singapore to YVR, then to South America, lets say LIMA/Santiago. The other is LAN chile with YVR service followed by connecting service to Asia maybe?

Also do you think Denver, San Diego, San Jose, and Dallas will remain CRA or will they switch to C-series once the aircraft get delivered. CRA seems like an especially long flight for Dallas, and even San diego would be a tight flight. Also the E90 would most likely get upgraded soon off of Chicago no? Seems we don't get many of these aircraft anymore, especially like 4 years ago when basically every Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Whitehorse, LAX, SFO, Las Vegas flight was one of these aircraft. Any idea who is taking them off of AC considering they are only around 10 years old?

nname
Dec 7, 2016, 8:50 AM
Any idea who is taking them off of AC considering they are only around 10 years old?

No one. Boeing got them from AC as part of the 737MAX deal, and they still have them.

Delta was going to take them, but they instead went for C-Series and cancelled the deal with Boeing.

Hot Rod
Dec 7, 2016, 11:54 AM
when it comes to YVR, if you say 'groundbreaking' I tend to think of markets not currently served by Vancouver as non-stop or direct one stop/connection

Sooo,

to me, this only means a flight or two to South America or Africa (both of which are not at all served and truly would be groundbreaking). Maybe add Russia to that possibility but I suspect there is little demand.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 7, 2016, 4:15 PM
http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1086

AC also launching PHX year round as well.

Daily flights effective 1 May 2017 on, you guessed it, Jazz CR9s.

Although not a new route for AC (served by rouge seasonally) launching this route year round adds yet another destination to the AC transborder summer roster.

YVR - DEN also mentioned in the above press release.

Cage
Dec 7, 2016, 6:16 PM

Although not a new route for AC (served by rouge seasonally) launching this route year round adds yet another destination to the AC transborder summer roster.

The outbound phx-yvr connects to the afternoon Asian Flights, but the return would with force an overnight require a double connection through UA.

However the good news is that YVR has been down this road before. YVR-DEN had the same issue last summer. I take it that the DEN services were successful and now warrant double daily flights solely on AC netal. Together with SJC it appears that AC is building YVR into a competitive NA to Asia connecting hub.

Gordon
Dec 7, 2016, 6:28 PM
The UA Denver flights are still operating according to Ac's website.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 7, 2016, 6:41 PM
I take it that the DEN services were successful and now warrant double daily flights solely on AC netal. Together with SJC it appears that AC is building YVR into a competitive NA to Asia connecting hub.

The UA flights to DEN aren't going anywhere. Two mainline plus one daily CR7 in the summer. Total will have 5 flights daily on that route.

Two daily CR9s on AC Jazz would be too little for that market.

Yes it does look like AC is building a NA to Asia hub.

YVR is defijitely Air Canada's focus in Western Canada... I think it's the only city to garner any new services in the last two years.

How many new routes has it been now that's AC has added/announced at YVR in the last two years? I've lost count now!

YVR is on fire! This just seems to be never ending!!

Will see if they boost SAN to double daily next summer. Right now still only showing double daily in April.

Gordon
Dec 7, 2016, 7:38 PM
ONe of the AC DEn flights departs @ 10:30. that makes that 4 hour departured block even more congested.

LeftCoaster
Dec 7, 2016, 7:48 PM
ONe of the AC DEn flights departs @ 10:30. that makes that 4 hour departured block even more congested.

But it's over in the transborder terminal not the international terminal where the real congestion is.

As far as I know the runways aren't the points of congestion, it's the gates, but I may be wrong.

LeftCoaster
Dec 7, 2016, 7:52 PM

Taking PHX year round is good to see, but my real question becomes what do they do with the 763 they were using on this route in the winters?

Does it return for the winter with the CR9, boosting winter capacity?
Does it take over for the CR9 in the winter keeping capacity the same?
Does the CR9 replace it entirely in the winter leaving the 763 open for different duty?

I really hope it's the last, leaving the 763 open for something a bit more exciting and further afield than Phoenix.

Gordon
Dec 7, 2016, 7:57 PM
You are right there is alot of runway capacity left. I would suspect the D\E swing gates will be used for international flights thus making the the trans boarder area more congested as well. the crj705a=s can graound load if worse comes to worse.

Cage
Dec 7, 2016, 8:11 PM
The UA flights to DEN aren't going anywhere. Two mainline plus one daily CR7 in the summer. Total will have 5 flights daily on that route.

When I mentioned double daily solely on AC metal I was referring to the ability of DEN based pax to use YVR as a connection point without having to use UA metal.

The big problem for AC in Western Canada is that AC-UA only have a codeshare relationship on trans-border and have no meaningful relationship on the transpac.

From a UA perspective, they want DEN pax going to Asia to use the NRT flight or connect through SFO. UA actively tries to dissuade pax from connecting to AC unless the connection is through Europe (where AC and UA have a full joint venture).

When discussing DEN-YVR-Asia, it is for reasons stated above that AC and UA operating metal needs to be split apart.

Under last years schedule DEN-YVR-Asia worked entirely on AC metal but not the return. This forced a lot of pax over to UA. The new double daily on AC metal solves this problem, DEN pax can now use AC to Asia both ways.

trofirhen
Dec 7, 2016, 9:14 PM
....... I take it that the DEN services were successful and now warrant double daily flights solely on AC netal. Together with SJC it appears that AC is building YVR into a competitive NA to Asia connecting hub.
Several years back, Calin Rovinescu talked of the importance of building YVR into a strong AC hub. The airline had always focussed on YYZ of course, and YUL,
and I took what he said with an "oh yeah, sure sure, sure...." attitude. However, he seems to be practising what he preached, and, yes, AC really is making YVR that solid AC hub.

nname
Dec 7, 2016, 9:37 PM
The big problem for AC in Western Canada is that AC-UA only have a codeshare relationship on trans-border and have no meaningful relationship on the transpac.

UA codeshare with AC on YVR-DEL

Johnny Aussie
Dec 7, 2016, 11:12 PM
When I mentioned double daily solely on AC metal I was referring to the ability of DEN based pax to use YVR as a connection point without having to use UA metal.

From a UA perspective, they want DEN pax going to Asia to use the NRT flight or connect through SFO. UA actively tries to dissuade pax from connecting to AC unless the connection is through Europe (where AC and UA have a full joint venture).

When discussing DEN-YVR-Asia, it is for reasons stated above that AC and UA operating metal needs to be split apart.

Under last years schedule DEN-YVR-Asia worked entirely on AC metal but not the return. This forced a lot of pax over to UA. The new double daily on AC metal solves this problem, DEN pax can now use AC to Asia both ways.

But last year there was no AC metal on YVR-DEN it was all UA.

These are brand new double daily flights.

CareerShow
Dec 8, 2016, 12:52 AM

YVR is defijitely Air Canada's focus in Western Canada... I think it's the only city to garner any new services in the last two years.

How many new routes has it been now that's AC has added/announced at YVR in the last two years? I've lost count now!

YVR is on fire! This just seems to be never ending!!

Will see if they boost SAN to double daily next summer. Right now still only showing double daily in April.

Brisbane, Delhi, Taipei, Nagoya, Osaka, Dublin, LGW, Frankfurt, Cancun, Dallas, San Jose, San Diego, Chicago, Denver, Palm Springs, Phoenix in the last 3 years i believe which would = 16 new routes. Also you may as well call Newark a new route as well with the massive upgrade the 789 has over the a319 both in capacity and customer experience.

CareerShow
Dec 8, 2016, 5:50 AM
Anyone have any idea what Alaska's operations at YVR were during the peak years for the airline at the airport

nname
Dec 8, 2016, 4:39 PM
According to this (https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/2016-a-211), Air Berlin is planning to reinstate service to Canada. Would they come back to YVR? :D

nname
Dec 8, 2016, 4:45 PM
Schedule for the new AC flights taken from Airline Route (http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/270296/air-canada-expands-us-routes-in-s17/?platform=hootsuite):

eff 01MAY17 Vancouver – Phoenix 1 daily CRJ705 (overall Air Canada service converts to year-round, summer season operated by Air Canada Express)
AC8228 YVR0800 – 1100PHX CRA D
AC8229 PHX1040 – 1355YVR CRA D

eff 18MAY17 Vancouver – Denver 2 daily CRJ705 (Last served in September 2001)
AC8108 YVR1030 – 1420DEN CRA D
AC8110 YVR1435 – 1825DEN CRA D

AC8109 DEN0755 – 1000YVR CRA D
AC8111 DEN1455 – 1700YVR CRA D

Wonder where would the plane go after arriving at PHX. YVR is the only route operates by CRA so far... Seems like AC haven't done yet? :???:

teriyaki
Dec 8, 2016, 5:50 PM
Schedule for the new AC flights taken from Airline Route (http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/270296/air-canada-expands-us-routes-in-s17/?platform=hootsuite):

Wonder where would the plane go after arriving at PHX. YVR is the only route operates by CRA so far... Seems like AC haven't done yet? :???:

Yea, looks like the airplane sits in PHX for a full day if it doesn't get utilized somewhere. Must be possibility for a second destination in there...eventually

Gordon
Dec 8, 2016, 6:02 PM
maybe the plane goes to another western Canadian destination, because airlines do not usually leave planes on the ground for almost 24 hours.

There was an item on ctv morning live this morning about UA charging for use of overhead bins.

jmt18325
Dec 8, 2016, 6:09 PM
Yeah UA is apparently going to do that.