PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143

LeftCoaster
Dec 8, 2016, 6:24 PM
According to this (https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/2016-a-211), Air Berlin is planning to reinstate service to Canada. Would they come back to YVR? :D

Even once LH phases out their 744s (assuming it's replaced with an A359) there will still be over 1,000 more seats on YVR-Germany in summer 2017 Vs 2016 due to the AC YVR-FRA.

That's a lot of new capacity on YVR-Germany so Air Berlin would be in a dog fight. That said their new owners may want to pick one, you never know with the ME3.

s211
Dec 8, 2016, 8:28 PM
There was an item on ctv morning live this morning about UA charging for use of overhead bins.

And how much longer will loading take while stewards police the bins? :(

trofirhen
Dec 8, 2016, 8:47 PM
Even once LH phases out their 744s (assuming it's replaced with an A359) there will still be over 1,000 more seats on YVR-Germany in summer 2017 Vs 2016 due to the AC YVR-FRA.

That's a lot of new capacity on YVR-Germany so Air Berlin would be in a dog fight. That said their new owners may want to pick one, you never know with the ME3.
How do the ME3 figure into this?? > or is that just a metaphor for LH, AC, and Air Berlin? Or are the new owners one of the ME3 :koko:

LeftCoaster
Dec 8, 2016, 8:59 PM
How do the ME3 figure into this?? > or is that just a metaphor for LH, AC, and Air Berlin? Or are the new owners one of the ME3 :koko:

Ethiad is the largest shareholder in Airberlin.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 8, 2016, 9:06 PM

I could definitely see Air Berlin back at YVR from DUS.

Remember their primary reason for leaving was to focus on One World hubs in the US.... and how has that worked for them!? I doubt very well!!

Perhaps we will see them back on YVR-DUS and/or YVR-TXL (soon to be BER).

Some exciting stuff going on!

Keep that chart on standby Lefty!!

LeftCoaster
Dec 8, 2016, 10:36 PM
Keep that chart on standby Lefty!!

The ink's barely dried from new HK service and the AC transborder upgrades!

Vin
Dec 8, 2016, 10:50 PM
I had a BA flight delayed by 24 hours 2 years ago and I just went straight to BA (info here (https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/delayed-or-cancelled-flights/compensation)). They tried to worm out of it, but by following people's experiences on FlyerTalk, I knew that persistance would pay off. I think that I complained to their authority to put pressure on them, but three months after my initial claim, I got a cheque for 600EUR. The best part was that this was on a work flight, and the delay meant that I got to spend a sunny winter day in Vancouver with my girlfriend. :)

Thank you Spork, and sweet deal for you indeed! Persistence is always good if you`ve got nothing to lose, but everything to gain.

casper
Dec 9, 2016, 2:07 AM
And how much longer will loading take while stewards police the bins? :(

The problem is easy to fix. You put all those people in zone 6 or 7 or whatever the last zone is. By the time they get to board all the space is already taken.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 9, 2016, 5:46 AM
These things seem so minor with everything else going on but I still think it's noteworthy.

Next summer, the early afternoon daily YVR-SLC flight will be operated by 319s instead of CR9s. The morning flight will remain a daily CR9.

nname
Dec 9, 2016, 6:27 AM
CZ planned to increase CAN-YYZ to 5x weekly for next summer.

Does this mean CAN-YVR-MEX plan is no longer going forward?

LeftCoaster
Dec 9, 2016, 10:02 PM
These things seem so minor with everything else going on but I still think it's noteworthy.

Next summer, the early afternoon daily YVR-SLC flight will be operated by 319s instead of CR9s. The morning flight will remain a daily CR9.

Good news, especially since the 319s have J fares, showing continued strength in the transborder market, which was such a concern with the rising USD.

Hmm that's a bit concerning. There's the rumoured interjet MEX flight upcoming, maybe all the extra capacity spooked them.

trofirhen
Dec 9, 2016, 10:16 PM
Good news, especially since the 319s have J fares, showing continued strength in the transborder market, which was such a concern with the rising USD.

Hmm that's a bit concerning. There's the rumoured interjet MEX flight upcoming, maybe all the extra capacity spooked them.
Speaking of Mexico, was Interjet also going to do YVR-GDL and another line (?"vivaero") perhaps MTY, and a Volaris route? That's what I'm really hoping for.

SpongeG
Dec 9, 2016, 10:30 PM
the outlet mall will be open 10 to 10 for christmas shopping hours next week :)

trofirhen
Dec 10, 2016, 1:21 AM
Could the air line ne Singapore or a major South American carrier? ...

Back to the topic at hand.....

I am going to speculate it is South America, operated by an Asia airline. Not certain which. JAL many years ago operated YVR to Mexico City. Korean Air was struggling on service to Brazil. Probably not Brazil but perhaps another South American destination.

If i had to guess I would have to go South America as well, only because of the "groundbreaking" hint that has been given. That is my darkhorse pick and Ill say Lan to Santiago Chile. If i had a realistic pick its Singapore airlines direct service, with a continuation to either toronto or a US city.

Hope it's South America, too. Now that's groundbreaking and game-changing.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 10, 2016, 6:20 AM

CZ CAN-YVR-MEX is definitely starting next April. Expect an announcement soon.

Expect something from Interjet soonish too! YVR-MEX will be their Vancouver launch route.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 10, 2016, 6:50 PM

More minor Delta adjustments for Summer 2017 but positive nonetheless...

DL boosting YVR-ATL to 3 weekly - red eyes Fri Sat and Sun.
Also YVR-DTW getting an extra flight per week - a Sat night redeye along with the Sat daytime flight.

Next summer, DL will be operating 13 daily flights again but 16 on Saturdays.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 11, 2016, 8:42 AM
Qantas's first seasonal flight landed in the snow at YVR today.

They have extended the number of flights by a few this winter season.

trofirhen
Dec 11, 2016, 5:29 PM
Qantas's first seasonal flight landed in the snow at YVR today.

They have extended the number of flights by a few this winter season.
What's the chance QF will ever go back full time, as it was years and years ago?

Vagabond
Dec 11, 2016, 5:53 PM
It looks like United is bringing back it's summer red eye to ORD (UA 1279). I only know this because I've been looking at YVR-ORD flights over the past few days, and this option suddenly popped up last night.

Apologies if this was expected, and/or was previously announced.

Would still be nice if WS brought back some non-Star Alliance competition on this route, but I'm not holding my breath (in time for my trip in May).

YVR Bruce
Dec 11, 2016, 6:20 PM
Anyone have any idea what Alaska's operations at YVR were during the peak years for the airline at the airport

July-Aug 2007 showed 1 x 73G (ANC) / 1 x 73G (LAS) / 6 x 734/73H (LAX) / 3 x 73G/734 (SFO) / 1 x 734 (SEA) + 11 x DH4/8 (SEA) & 4 x same (PDX)

I believe they may have peaked at appr 13 x 73X/day

CareerShow
Dec 11, 2016, 7:34 PM
July-Aug 2007 showed 1 x 73G (ANC) / 1 x 73G (LAS) / 6 x 734/73H (LAX) / 3 x 73G/734 (SFO) / 1 x 734 (SEA) + 11 x DH4/8 (SEA) & 4 x same (PDX)

I believe they may have peaked at appr 13 x 73X/day

Wow and to think now that the only two destinations served are SEAT and PDX. I remember their operations used to be big here but I never thought it was that big. Did they have a pilot base here? I also think they used to fly to PSP.

zahav
Dec 12, 2016, 7:01 PM
More minor Delta adjustments for Summer 2017 but positive nonetheless...

Also YVR-DTW getting an extra flight per week - a Sat night redeye along with the Sat daytime flight.

It looks like SLC is back to CR7 and CR9 flights. The 319 must have been just a shuffling before it got finalized. But good news regarding more Atlanta flying, I wish this route would go year-round! But with Delta flying to SEA, LAX, SLC, and MSP (all Delta hubs), they probably find it hard to justify

trofirhen
Dec 12, 2016, 7:22 PM
It looks like SLC is back to CR7 and CR9 flights. The 319 must have been just a shuffling before it got finalized. But good news regarding more Atlanta flying, I wish this route would go year-round! But with Delta flying to SEA, LAX, SLC, and MSP (all Delta hubs), they probably find it hard to justify
Too bad Air Canada won't do it.

CareerShow
Dec 12, 2016, 8:17 PM
Too bad Air Canada won't do it.

I bet we will see AC add a few more US destinations in the next few years, most likely SLC, Houston, one of Washington or Boston, and maybe MSP or Sacramento. It looks like AC will be receiving more than 1 for 1 swaps with the C-series and the 737 vs the A320/E90's.

CareerShow
Dec 12, 2016, 9:29 PM
According to Air Routes China Southern reverting back to 788 in March.
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/270340/china-southern-s17-long-haul-service-changes-as-of-11dec16/

LeftCoaster
Dec 12, 2016, 10:10 PM
CZ CAN-YVR-MEX is definitely starting next April. Expect an announcement soon.

Expect something from Interjet soonish too! YVR-MEX will be their Vancouver launch route.

Strange today airlineroute reported they're ditching the 777 following winter and putting the 787 back on the route. Though this isn't the first time they've done that only to put the 777 back on. They seem to be really all over the place with their equipment announcements.

Hmm, will that YVR-ATL continue to be a 757? Love seeing that come into YVR.

Inching closer to actually serving the YVR-ATL market, still too little and too seasonal to actually be of much value though.

trofirhen
Dec 12, 2016, 11:47 PM
Strange today airlineroute reported they're ditching the 777 following winter and putting the 787 back on the route. Though this isn't the first time they've done that only to put the 777 back on. They seem to be really all over the place with their equipment announcements.

Inching closer to actually serving the YVR-ATL market, still too little and too seasonal to actually be of much value though.
What about Boston? Statistics have it that it's self-sustaing in pax # and a destination like that should be able to fit in a respectable % of J Class, too, would it not?

MalcolmTucker
Dec 13, 2016, 12:10 AM
^ It has to compete against virtually anytime departures of single transfer services across numerous airports and airlines, with almost all of the connections onward from Boston being backtracks.

Hard to be competitive on that basis, earning ones own keep for a long flight vs. getting a freebie for some of the route via hubbing.

nname
Dec 13, 2016, 12:23 AM

If they are indeed launching CAN-YVR-MEX, then the change for CAN-YVR would probably still pending... I think CAN-YVR for S17 were never changed from 787 to 777?

I wonder where does CZ got their extra 3x weekly frequency... Did they bought them off CA cargo and HU?? :D

casper
Dec 13, 2016, 12:23 AM
^ It has to compete against virtually anytime departures of single transfer services across numerous airports and airlines, with almost all of the connections onward from Boston being backtracks.

Hard to be competitive on that basis, earning ones own keep for a long flight vs. getting a freebie for some of the route via hubbing.

I think the one weird variable in all of this is what happens when Air Canada opens up service to Melbourne. For the Australia flights they have one aircraft come in from Newark, a second from Toronto. Where will the third aircraft come from. Probably a destination that could fill a widebody both from passenger count and cargo. I don't know enough about the Boston market to tell if that fits the bill or not.

LeftCoaster
Dec 13, 2016, 12:52 AM
I think the one weird variable in all of this is what happens when Air Canada opens up service to Melbourne. For the Australia flights they have one aircraft come in from Newark, a second from Toronto. Where will the third aircraft come from. Probably a destination that could fill a widebody both from passenger count and cargo. I don't know enough about the Boston market to tell if that fits the bill or not.

No way we go from 0 service to a 787. That aircraft will just pop into the usual YVR-YYZ widebody rotation.

Boston is a weird one though, it's long but serviceable with a 737 or A320, and appears to have the O&D to support at bare minimum partial week service. According to the statscan data it should be able to fill 5 flights a day with O&D alone. Adding in connecting pax one would think daily is achievable, at least in the summer.

I'm honestly surprised Delta hasn't hit that one up, both to service the route and to funnel YVR pax into Logan's Europe departures, both on its own metal and its SkyTeam partners.

Gotta think once AC receives its C-series planes the route is a no brainer daily. That and MIA.

nname
Dec 13, 2016, 12:56 AM
Maybe rotate it with another ULH route... something like this....

2300 YVR - MEL 1030+2
1240 MEL - YVR 0840
1040 YVR - SIN 1940+1
2200 SIN - YVR 2030

Hmm... that works out well, isn't it? Although the flight to SIN got bad connection time.. besides some trans-con redeye flights...

rxp
Dec 13, 2016, 1:11 AM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-12/singapore-airlines-wants-to-be-a-budget-carrier-too

Johnny: Singapore to YVR?

casper
Dec 13, 2016, 2:36 AM
Maybe rotate it with another ULH route... something like this....

2300 YVR - MEL 1030+2
1240 MEL - YVR 0840
1040 YVR - SIN 1940+1
2200 SIN - YVR 2030

Hmm... that works out well, isn't it? Although the flight to SIN got bad connection time.. besides some trans-con redeye flights...

Interesting, that does slot in nicely. Probably makes for some reasonable connections at both ends.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 13, 2016, 5:34 AM

You are right... back to Delta Connection... That didn't last long :)

DL's footprint at YVR has become impressive.

Yeah wouldn't pay too much attention to the CZ's flip flop they've now been here long enough to see there is a default pattern. My source says it should flip back again to the 77W so probably won't see the the 788 on that route again.

If they are indeed launching CAN-YVR-MEX, then the change for CAN-YVR would probably still pending...

Something like that ;)

Johnny: Singapore to YVR?

That would be nice! Wouldn't it? Interesting read... quite a lot of the info in that article was discussed a few months back.

Interesting, that does slot in nicely. Probably makes for some reasonable connections at both ends.

That would be nice! Wouldn't it?

zahav
Dec 13, 2016, 7:22 AM

It will be with a 737-800. Which is no slouch, the -800 and -900 series are almost comparable to 757s. We are going to see lots of upper series 737s, both DL and AS are putting 737-900s to YVR for some routes, and UA hasn't yet but they are always changing their a/c scheds and usually have a -900 here in the summer. AA is using 737-800s on twice daily PHX and DFW routes, and of course DL and Westjet

nname
Dec 13, 2016, 9:41 AM
AC had recently re-numbered YVR-DEL flight to AC44/45 starting Oct 2017 (YYZ-DEL flight will be renumbered to AC42/43 on May 1st, and then YYZ-BOM will be AC46/47)

It's a sign that its coming back next winter at least, right?

With the recent shuffling, now it becoming more clear that AC start to group routes by numbers. They seems to save 4 numbers for 2 routes in South Pacific... hmmm....

Johnny Aussie
Dec 13, 2016, 10:22 AM
AC had recently re-numbered YVR-DEL flight to AC44/45 starting Oct 2017 (YYZ-DEL flight will be renumbered to AC42/43 on May 1st, and then YYZ-BOM will be AC46/47)

It's a sign that its coming back next winter at least, right?

With the recent shuffling, now it becoming more clear that AC start to group routes by numbers. They seems to save 4 numbers for 2 routes in South Pacific... hmmm....

AC33/34 YVR-SYD-YVR
AC35/36 YVR-BNE-YVR
AC37/38 YVR-MEL-YVR hmmmmm

trofirhen
Dec 13, 2016, 2:50 PM
AC33/34 YVR-SYD-YVR
AC35/36 YVR-BNE-YVR
AC37/38 YVR-MEL-YVR hmmmmm
:)May I ask why "Melbourne hmmmmm?" Does that mean it may not happen?
Or does that mean that it seems to be on the horizon, or what? I'd love to see a flight YVR - MELBOURNE.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 13, 2016, 3:11 PM
Air Canada's latest summer 2017 schedule update has the following additions:

LAX will have a 6th daily flight added - a late evening departure
SAN will in fact have a second daily evening flight added for the summer

The additional LAX flight will be operated by 320s and SAN of course on Jazz CRAs.

So yet even more AC expansion out of YVR next summer! 14 daily flights on AC just to California next summer.

Cage
Dec 13, 2016, 5:43 PM
Not to pull this thread off the China, China, China, California, China discussion, but we need to pay some attention to the announcements QF is making regarding their 789 operations. As announced in the previous three days:
- MEL-LAX-MEL will be daily on 789 and 388. This will require 2 789 FTEs.
- PER-LHR-PER will be daily on 17 hour flight. Plus the aircraft has to come from somewhere (ie either SYD or MEL). this will require 4 789 FTEs (well probably 3.5 aircraft but the 0.5 is useless unless on another domestic or trans Tasman run).

While the announcements do leave room for SYD-YVR, there is a case that YVR-SYD has lost the beauty contest for 789 services.

Of course the other answer is that QF has options on 2018 or 2019 789 deliveries.

nname
Dec 13, 2016, 6:59 PM
- PER-LHR-PER will be daily on 17 hour flight. Plus the aircraft has to come from somewhere (ie either SYD or MEL). this will require 4 789 FTEs (well probably 3.5 aircraft but the 0.5 is useless unless on another domestic or trans Tasman run).

Well, daily SYD-YVR-SYD needs about 1.5 aircraft ;)

There are still 2 more aircrafts for the order of 8...

Johnny Aussie
Dec 13, 2016, 7:35 PM
Ha ha!

Yes following the QF movements and announcements very closely down here.

So far no real surprises as to QF's new routes. Let's see what plays out. YVR may just remain a seasonal QF 744 destination for the short to medium term.

As for the China, China, Texas, Ireland, Germany, California, China, China discussions on here... YVR is damn lucky to be having ALL these discussions unlike most Canadian airports ;)

trofirhen
Dec 13, 2016, 9:13 PM
Ha ha!

Yes following the QF movements and announcements very closely down here.

So far no real surprises as to QF's new routes. Let's see what plays out. YVR may just remain a seasonal QF 744 destination for the short to medium term.

As for the China, China, Texas, Ireland, Germany, California, China, China discussions on here... YVR is damn lucky to be having ALL these discussions unlike most Canadian airports ;)
How does the action expansion here stack up to YYZ?

LeftCoaster
Dec 13, 2016, 9:23 PM
Yeah wouldn't pay too much attention to the CZ's flip flop they've now been here long enough to see there is a default pattern. My source says it should flip back again to the 77W so probably won't see the the 788 on that route again.

Figured as much. That said I wouldn't mind a 7x77W 2x788 rotation. Their dreamliner is pretty.

It will be with a 737-800. Which is no slouch, the -800 and -900 series are almost comparable to 757s. We are going to see lots of upper series 737s, both DL and AS are putting 737-900s to YVR for some routes, and UA hasn't yet but they are always changing their a/c scheds and usually have a -900 here in the summer. AA is using 737-800s on twice daily PHX and DFW routes, and of course DL and Westjet

Ya the 738s and 739s are nice, and as a passenger I think I would prefer them, but the 757 is jsut such a legend of a plane. Love seeing its occational appearances at YVR, especially in Icelandair livery.

Air Canada's latest summer 2017 schedule update has the following additions:

LAX will have a 6th daily flight added - a late evening departure
SAN will in fact have a second daily evening flight added for the summer

The additional LAX flight will be operated by 320s and SAN of course on Jazz CRAs.

So yet even more AC expansion out of YVR next summer! 14 daily flights on AC just to California next summer.

According to my sheet, it's 27,700 seats per week to California now, 13,000 of which are on Air Canada!

Johnny Aussie
Dec 13, 2016, 9:53 PM
According to my sheet, it's 27,700 seats per week to California now, 13,000 of which are on Air Canada!

That's A LOT of seats!!

You said you like variety... well Delta is also now showing a once weekly mainline 717 on the YVR-LAX flights... the afternoon flight on Saturdays.

LeftCoaster
Dec 13, 2016, 11:16 PM
Nice! Delta is sure to give you variety. Looking at their fleetlist they seem to have at least one of every aircraft imaginable.

SFUVancouver
Dec 13, 2016, 11:19 PM
^ With C-Series joining the mix, too, in the coming years.

LeftCoaster
Dec 13, 2016, 11:22 PM
So a while ago I took a look at the top intl' airports in the US on wikipedia chart, and added in Canada.

I figured with all this growth it'd be interesting to see where YVR has gotten to on the list now:
http://i.imgur.com/JYBF4O1.png

Some impressive growth is yielding big results. YVR has leapfrogged Houston from 10th to 9th on the list and Atlanta and Chicago are well within striking distance.

These types of lists totally benefit Canadian airports because US airports don't separate out trans-border, but its still pretty damn impressive.

LeftCoaster
Dec 13, 2016, 11:30 PM
^ With C-Series joining the mix, too, in the coming years.

Ya, I'm really hoping YVR becomes a big C series base for Air Canada. It's a sharp looking plane with economics that should open up some continental routes for YVR.

CareerShow
Dec 14, 2016, 12:02 AM
Ya, I'm really hoping YVR becomes a big C series base for Air Canada. It's a sharp looking plane with economics that should open up some continental routes for YVR.

I would bet they will and these aircraft will replace many of the the thinner routes which have the a319 and CRA aircraft on them. Remember how big the E90's were here until they begun to get phased out. I would imagine AC would position a 737 pilot base here as well.

With regards to Delta, they seem to be the one airline in the world not overly eager to update their fleet, seems a lot of 763 and 752 and 753 will remain in the fleet for many years to come, as well as the 717. Seems they think its economically feasible to run these aircraft as they can buy them for cheap or have fully paid them off already.

I would imagine AC has a pilot base in Vancouver for all aircrafts other than the a330 no? Certainly enough 777, 787, a320's, CRA, and DH4 traffic through YVR to justify it and if not where do the pilots who fly these routes transition? from.

SpongeG
Dec 14, 2016, 6:19 AM
Singapore Airlines is starting a direct flight to New York, total trip time is 19 hours :O

I can't find the link now but BBC News posted an article of the world's longest airline routes, cause quantas is starting a new direct perth to london flight at 17 hours, so they listed long flights noting once the new singapre service starts it will take honours of being the longest routeat 19 hours

jmt18325
Dec 14, 2016, 1:26 PM
They've actually had that flight a couple times. Hopefully the new more efficient aircraft makes it viable.

jmt18325
Dec 15, 2016, 3:30 AM
Rumours on flyertalk: YVR - BKK and MNL coming soon on Air Canada.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 15, 2016, 6:32 AM
Another day another AC increase.

AC adding a third daily flight on the YVR-SJC route for the summer 2017 season.

The third daily flight will depart at 2010 arriving in SJC at 2223.

The return is an early morning departure from SJC at 0610 arriving YVR at 0820.

Operated by Jazz CRAs.

So make that 15 daily AC flights to CA next summer... I know more California increases! Sigh!

CareerShow
Dec 15, 2016, 6:34 AM

Operated by Jazz CRAs.

Route must be doing well then!

SpongeG
Dec 15, 2016, 6:56 AM
I have a parking at the airport question, i need to park for about 8 days, but i am confused which is the best option and cheapest... jetset? park N fly? should i book online ahead of time, it seems they give you a better price then just driving up

casper
Dec 15, 2016, 7:22 AM
I have a parking at the airport question, i need to park for about 8 days, but i am confused which is the best option and cheapest... jetset? park N fly? should i book online ahead of time, it seems they give you a better price then just driving up

I have not looked for a while (six months or so), but last time I did it was prepaid jetset or park N fly offered the best deal. Some times if you google for discount or promo codes you can get good deals.

If you also need a hotel, some of the airport hotels will provide fee parking for a up to a few weeks if you book a room for one night.

YVR parking generally is over priced. Several months ago I had dinner at the Fairmount. Parking cost more than the meal. That says a lot especially given the prices at that hotel.

SpongeG
Dec 15, 2016, 7:49 AM
ok cool thanks, i will see what promos i can find.

nname
Dec 15, 2016, 10:01 AM

Operated by Jazz CRAs.

So make that 15 daily AC flights to CA next summer... I know more California increases! Sigh!

More? Would they bring back SMF?

The new morning flight is good for connection to the Asian flights around noon.

vanlaw
Dec 15, 2016, 3:43 PM

I just checked both for an 8 day trip I'm doing in January. With no discounts Park n Fly is around $94 for the 8 days, JetSet is $77. If you have BCAA, JetSet gives discount and is $66. Even at $77 its less than $10 per day, which isn't too bad. At that point its around the same as a taxi round trip from my place in East Van to the airport and back.

trofirhen
Dec 15, 2016, 4:58 PM
Rumours on flyertalk: YVR - BKK and MNL coming soon on Air Canada.
Interesting ... The AC MNL route would no doubt be to serve YYZ better, which is logical. It seems a juicy route, and some planes already go to JFK.
BKK, I thought, would be Thai. Maybe AC is trying to head them off at the pass, or just grabbing a hunk of the action.
That said, the BIG SE Asian destination talked about casually, but not mentioned formally so far is Singapore. Maybe that one will be SQL itself, if it comes to pass .....
Maybe it comprises that big "ground-breaker" route everyone's guessing on, but who can say? Time alone. (and Johnny, of course;))

nname
Dec 15, 2016, 5:03 PM
So far, none of the rumors from flyertalk had come true

-still waiting for the YVR-MAN on Rouge-

Johnny Aussie
Dec 15, 2016, 5:58 PM
So far, none of the rumors from flyertalk had come true

-still waiting for the YVR-MAN on Rouge-

Isn't that the fun part of all these different forums... the speculation? "I heard that..." it helps if the speculation has at least some statistical basis for the discussions and not just wishful thinking or just random routes because of "x" or "y."

BKK at least is on the AC 2018 future network opportunities map and it does slowly seem to be piecing together route by route. Of course not all routes that have been launched or announced recently are on that map but a lot of them are...

...and did anyone notice the connection to BKK on that map was moved from YYZ to YVR on a later map?? :shrug:

There are still plenty of 789s coming online so there will be more "opportunities" down the road.

As for rouge... again who knows.... there still seems to be one frame unaccounted for next summer but maybe I'm wrong.

One thing for sure that is happening of course is AC beefing up its transborder network. The additions of ORD, DEN, DFW, SAN, PHX and SJC, although all substantial YVR markets, don't appear to be just targeting O&D.

In any event... and I've said this plenty of times... AC is not finished with YVR expansion yet. Certainly proven that statment lately ;)

nname
Dec 15, 2016, 7:02 PM
As for rouge... again who knows.... there still seems to be one frame unaccounted for next summer but maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe it's now being used as a temporary replacement for that damaged A330, which would most likely miss the first half of next summer...

Isn't that the fun part of all these different forums... the speculation? "I heard that..." it helps if the speculation has at least some statistical basis for the discussions and not just wishful thinking or just random routes because of "x" or "y."

I guess I can contribute something too

Read from a Chinese forum a while ago that CTU is in talk with AC for a 3x weekly CTU-YVR.. Not sure if it's inside source or speculation or just wishful thinking ;)

Orcair
Dec 15, 2016, 7:31 PM
Maybe it's now being used as a temporary replacement for that damaged A330, which would most likely miss the first half of next summer...

I'm so pissed that the poor A330 fell and got that damaged. It's my favourite Air Canada plane to fly on and having one less means that the 767 will probably stay mainline for a bit longer. Mind you I still prefer the 767 to the 787...

Cage
Dec 15, 2016, 7:32 PM
Interesting ... The AC MNL route would no doubt be to serve YYZ better, which is logical. It seems a juicy route, and some planes already go to JFK.
BKK, I thought, would be Thai. Maybe AC is trying to head them off at the pass, or just grabbing a hunk of the action.
That said, the BIG SE Asian destination talked about casually, but not mentioned formally so far is Singapore. Maybe that one will be SQL itself, if it comes to pass .....
Maybe it comprises that big "ground-breaker" route everyone's guessing on, but who can say? Time alone. (and Johnny, of course;))

Thai is in a long term mess for the foreseeable future. They had to drop NA as a destination because of their financial difficulties. Long term there is so much government interference and corruption that I cannot imagine Thai will get out of its troubles.

Because of Thai troubles, AC would have an easy time on YVR-BKK, especially without competition from the ME3. It was the ME3 that was causing SAS to drop back on BKK despite a large Thai population in their major business centers.

SIN has the issue of both UA and SQ getting into the SIN-N.A. nonstop market. This would dampen AC chances of success.

MNL is similar to BKK, but with a better run airline (over the longer term) than Thai.

vanlaw
Dec 15, 2016, 7:45 PM
One of the AC 767's coming in from YUL had to do a go-around last night around 9pm. I can sometimes hear planes from where I am in east van, depending on the approach, but this was a different sound than normal. Turns out it was gaining altitude over east van, which is rather unusual.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ac195/#be4a76b

nname
Dec 15, 2016, 7:54 PM
AC had signed a codeshare agreement with Virgin Australia to provide codeshare service from SYD/BNE to:
Adelaide
Auckland
Canberra
Cairns
Christchurch
Gold Coast
Melbourne
Perth
Wellington

Virgin Australia would codeshare with AC for flights from LAX to:
Calgary
Montreal
Toronto
Vancouver

Source:
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-and-virgin-australia-to-introduce-codeshare-services-and-reciprocal-frequent-flyer-benefits-in-strategic-cooperation-606563026.html

CareerShow
Dec 15, 2016, 9:47 PM
I'm so pissed that the poor A330 fell and got that damaged. It's my favourite Air Canada plane to fly on and having one less means that the 767 will probably stay mainline for a bit longer. Mind you I still prefer the 767 to the 787...

Where and how was the a333 damaged? Also we only see the a330 once a day I think, just the one flight to Montreal. As well, on this discussion I seem to recall Singapore being discussed quite frequently as a possible destination.

Orcair
Dec 15, 2016, 10:13 PM
Where and how was the a333 damaged? Also we only see the a330 once a day I think, just the one flight to Montreal. As well, on this discussion I seem to recall Singapore being discussed quite frequently as a possible destination.

http://www.lactualite.com/actualites/avion-dair-canada-endommage-a-singapour-lors-de-travaux-de-restauration/ and http://journalmetro.com/actualites/national/1064459/avion-dair-canada-endommage-a-singapour/(only in French)

Basically the A330 was being reconfigured and it fell off its supports somehow - will take a minimum of 6 months to be repaired or AC might scrap it for insurance.

It's true the 333 only flies AC111/194 right now, but in the past/future it flies 2x daily - the 763 replaced it early this year on AC150/195 and the 333 was scheduled to come back and do both daily flights as of May 2017.

SFUVancouver
Dec 15, 2016, 10:48 PM
That's a major screw-up my a MRO, especially if it proves to be a hull-loss event. Air Canada and its insurance company lawyers are probably salivating for this one. I can see this doing some permanent damage to the reputation of the MRO. I also cracked a smile at the comment from the union chief of the previous Air Canada MRO that basically said "this is what you get" when you off-shore work.

trofirhen
Dec 16, 2016, 12:17 AM
Thai is in a long term mess for the foreseeable future. They had to drop NA as a destination because of their financial difficulties. Long term there is so much government interference and corruption that I cannot imagine Thai will get out of its troubles.

Because of Thai troubles, AC would have an easy time on YVR-BKK, especially without competition from the ME3. It was the ME3 that was causing SAS to drop back on BKK despite a large Thai population in their major business centers.

SIN has the issue of both UA and SQ getting into the SIN-N.A. nonstop market. This would dampen AC chances of success.

MNL is similar to BKK, but with a better run airline (over the longer term) than Thai.
When you speak of the ME3 causing a cutback from BKK, is that presumably Seattle If AC doesn't get a route to SIN, is it likely that there'll be SQL jets at YVR?
Also, what aspects of Manila are similar to BKK. There is already PAL, but no Thai. Sorry if you could elaborate a bit that'd be great:)
I would assume that this big, looming, omnipresent game-changer and groundbreaker of a rout originates somewhere in SE Asia, or E Asia.
So AC to SIN less probable.
AC to BKK (ripe for the picking?) ...although there was announcement sometime back for them planning both Vancouver and Seattle...:???:

Johnny Aussie
Dec 16, 2016, 12:35 AM
As well, on this discussion I seem to recall Singapore being discussed quite frequently as a possible destination.

Just do some google searches and you will see that over the past little while SQ, TG, VN, OZ, and even the recently announced Hong Kong Airlines, have all publicly mentioned YVR in one aspect or another... Some airlines keep their cards closer to their chests while others splash fancy route maps (he he Air Canada).

SIN is connected to YVR on the AC investors day presentations 2018 network opportunities maps as are BKK, CTS, CDG, MEL, AKL etc... Those that have come to fruition are BNE, NGO, TPE and FRA. Remembering both DEL and DUB were not on either of those maps indicates one should NOT read too much one way or the other but there seems to be a method to their madness.

Having said all that above... The fact remains these routes are on the maps so there shouldn't be TOO much surprise if further announcements are made.

There is no doubt SIN, BKK and MEL are all being seriously looked at by AC. Maybe none, one, two or all three will come to fruition.

In the meantime... members on these forums shouldn't get too stressed what's going on... Imagine if we didn't get BKK or SIN direct... I personally wouldn't lose sleep over it.. sit back and enjoy all the new routes and airlines YVR has garnered in the last couple of years and those still to come... :):cheers::)

Klazu
Dec 16, 2016, 1:09 AM
Singapore Airlines is starting a direct flight to New York, total trip time is 19 hours :O

Yeah, it's an old route that they cancelled for few years and they are now bringing back with their new A350-900URL planes. It used to be an Business Class only route, but now it will likely see other classes as well. Forumer rxp mentioned it in his post few days ago.

The article is actually very interesting read into Singapore Airline's challenges in their region. There is always some other competitor putting pressure on certain markets and ME3s come up once again.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-12/singapore-airlines-wants-to-be-a-budget-carrier-too

Another great read on Bloomberg is an article on how the Chinese airlines have been flooding markets with discounted seats, which is something we have definitely seen here in Vancouver. That strategy has put some pressure on many traditional airlines flying in China, especially the American ones.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-12/china-s-flood-of-cheap-air-fares-deals-blow-to-global-carriers

stiffdeadman
Dec 16, 2016, 6:14 AM
That's A LOT of seats!!

You said you like variety... well Delta is also now showing a once weekly mainline 717 on the YVR-LAX flights... the afternoon flight on Saturdays.

Interesting. Something new for the spotters here as there has never been scheduled 717 service here before. Probably the one and only shot to get some pics of it unless you go down to Seattle where there are a few in and out daily to LAX and LAS. Hope it does well and ends up going year round. Think its the perfect plane for the route at least with Delta.

SpongeG
Dec 16, 2016, 6:35 AM
my friend from seattle is flying to japan from YVR, he posted on facebook that there was a problem getting on an alaska airlines flight {to YVR) and had to rent a car to drive to YVR to make his flight.

teriyaki
Dec 16, 2016, 6:52 AM
my friend from seattle is flying to japan from YVR, he posted on facebook that there was a problem getting on an alaska airlines flight {to YVR) and had to rent a car to drive to YVR to make his flight.

Doesn't give us much to go on. I've been involuntarily bumped off a flight before, and because the next few flights were all full (US holiday) they actually threw me on the quick shuttle up to YVR from SEA.

What could possibly go wrong enough that they couldn't accomodate on another flight or the multiple buses that run between the 2 airports.

SpongeG
Dec 16, 2016, 6:56 AM
he is from japan, but has lived in seattle a fairly long time, he spent quite a few years living here in burnaby before moving back to Seattle, getting citizenship here in Canada wasn't working out for him and his american husband.

Anyway this is what he said "we got trouble at SeaTac that Alaska was sooo packed and even though we went more than two hours ago, couldn't get the flight. Overall, we did rent a car and got there at YVR."

I guess the alaska flight they were supposed to catch was oversold

I wonder why he choose to fly from YVR in the first place though, are there no flights to japan from seattle?

weirdly last christmas my korean friend flew to korea via seattle, he was living in calgary at the time.

mezzanine
Dec 16, 2016, 7:01 AM
Interesting about a possible AC flight from YVR to MNL. AC's domestic netowrk would dovetail with a growing VFR market of filipino-canadians from smaller cities and towns in canada. Business traffic may have hidden potential - telus has several large call-centre operations in Manilla.

it would be nice to have a totally new destination (see DEN), but AC is growing its hub and growth like this builds on itself. and i'm sure that i'll see new destinations from YVR sure enough, from AC and other airlines. :)

http://www.telusinternational.com.ph/sites/default/files/files/araneta.jpg

http://www.telusinternational.com.ph

SpongeG
Dec 16, 2016, 7:05 AM
I just checked both for an 8 day trip I'm doing in January. With no discounts Park n Fly is around $94 for the 8 days, JetSet is $77. If you have BCAA, JetSet gives discount and is $66. Even at $77 its less than $10 per day, which isn't too bad. At that point its around the same as a taxi round trip from my place in East Van to the airport and back.

thats not too bad, i looked up what the estimated cost would be for a taxi from burquitlam would be and its about $67 one way, plus we have to be there at 7 am for an 8 am flight and using skytrain is out.

moosejaw
Dec 16, 2016, 2:30 PM
I wonder why he choose to fly from YVR in the first place though, are there no flights to japan from seattle?

Its substaintially cheaper from vancouver than seattle or even san francisco, los angeles.

At least this was what i found when i flew two years ago
The problem for me was getting to Vancouver from Miami. It wasn't really convenient on the return leg as all flights were red eye.

vanlaw
Dec 16, 2016, 4:15 PM
thats not too bad, i looked up what the estimated cost would be for a taxi from burquitlam would be and its about $67 one way, plus we have to be there at 7 am for an 8 am flight and using skytrain is out.

This is, of course, if you pre-book online. Much more expensive to drive up. I think Jetset is $94 per week drive-up.

vanlaw
Dec 16, 2016, 4:19 PM
Interesting. Something new for the spotters here as there has never been scheduled 717 service here before. Probably the one and only shot to get some pics of it unless you go down to Seattle where there are a few in and out daily to LAX and LAS. Hope it does well and ends up going year round. Think its the perfect plane for the route at least with Delta.

I flew on a 717 a couple years back AMS-CPH on SAS (operated by Blue1 I think). It was by far the quietest, quickest and smoothest take off I've ever experienced. Great little aircraft.

Gordon
Dec 16, 2016, 7:56 PM
Is West Jet Encore expanding at all in 2017 at YvR?

Has any one seen ho pier A construction is progressing?

SpongeG
Dec 16, 2016, 11:01 PM
This is, of course, if you pre-book online. Much more expensive to drive up. I think Jetset is $94 per week drive-up.

i'll get that booked asap :) thanks

Klazu
Dec 17, 2016, 6:06 AM
I flew on a 717 a couple years back AMS-CPH on SAS (operated by Blue1 I think). It was by far the quietest, quickest and smoothest take off I've ever experienced. Great little aircraft.

I have been on Hawaiian, SAS and United 717. The 2+1 seating is nice, byt otherwise it's a pretty damn tiny plane. Hawaiian has crammed seats very close to each other which is still fine for a 20-40 minute flights.

stiffdeadman
Dec 17, 2016, 9:42 AM
I have been on Hawaiian, SAS and United 717. The 2+1 seating is nice, byt otherwise it's a pretty damn tiny plane. Hawaiian has crammed seats very close to each other which is still fine for a 20-40 minute flights.

United nor Continental before it has ever operated the 717. Only US carriers that did were AirTran and Midwest which is where Delta got almost all of their planes second hand. Delta wants more but the pickings are very slim as Hawaiian will never get rid of theirs. Same with Qantaslink. Only one that will be selling eventually is Volotea.

vanlaw
Dec 17, 2016, 4:00 PM

Thinking of a different aircraft? I think the 717 is a 2-3 configuration.

dharper
Dec 17, 2016, 5:19 PM
Thinking of a different aircraft? I think the 717 is a 2-3 configuration.
Yup. I flew a Qantas one to Ayers Rock. I remember it well because I got the row in front of the exit row, and my seat wouldn't recline.

Klazu
Dec 17, 2016, 5:33 PM
Oops, the flight from Omaha to Chicago was indeed Embraer 145. My flights on Hawaiian and SAS were on a 717.

connect2source
Dec 17, 2016, 5:44 PM
One of AC's 8 A330's suffered major damage while being re-conifgured in Singapore.

According to the Professional Pilots Rumour Network :

"The article states that there is heavy damage done to the aircraft, to its engines, wings and fuselage."

http://www.pprune.org/canada/588329-perhaps-air-canada-should-do-their-maintenance-canada.html

Perhaps a write-off? Terrible shame as it leaves AC with only 7 A330 frames. My absolute favourite AC widebody to fly on, last of the wide Y seats and old AC pitch.

trofirhen
Dec 18, 2016, 12:23 AM
Its substaintially cheaper from vancouver than seattle or even san francisco, los angeles.

At least this was what i found when i flew two years ago
The problem for me was getting to Vancouver from Miami. It wasn't really convenient on the return leg as all flights were red eye.
Interesting that fares out of YVR are cheaper, to Japan, anyway.
*But my question is this, please:
you referred to flying en route and back from Japan to and from Miami, changing at Vancouver. Standard procedure.
You said there was a problem getting to Vancouver from Miami and that the return flight was a red-eye. This would suggest a nonstop.
Was it nonstop or was there always a change of plane, and where? Thx.
I did not think their was such a thing as a YVR><Miami nonstop. Or was there? This sort of relates to an issue;)

teriyaki
Dec 18, 2016, 1:53 AM
you referred to flying en route and back from Japan to and from Miami, changing at Vancouver. Standard procedure.
You said there was a problem getting to Vancouver from Miami and that the return flight was a red-eye. This would suggest a nonstop.
I did not think their was such a thing as a YVR><Miami nonstop. Or was there? This sort of relates to an issue;)

Will address the first question. I do quite a bit of Trans-pac flying and in the past few years, 99% of the time it'll be cheaper to fly from YVR than it is from SEA. Perhaps it is the sheer amount of seats at YVR that is dropping prices for the flexible bottom-barrel fare traveller.

moosejaw
Dec 18, 2016, 3:23 AM

oh no
usually when flying back from YVR to say ATL/ORD/CLT
im not getting back from east coast till early monring
I notice its a redeye from either yvr, sea,sfo, or lax

I try and get on the 3pm jet blue flight from LAX to FLL which gets me in about 10:30pm

There used to be a daily AA767 from MIA to YVR i used to take during summers when school was out. Long days past.

trofirhen
Dec 18, 2016, 4:25 AM
oh no
usually when flying back from YVR to say ATL/ORD/CLT
im not getting back from east coast till early monring
I notice its a redeye from either yvr, sea,sfo, or lax

I try and get on the 3pm jet blue flight from LAX to FLL which gets me in about 10:30pm

There used to be a daily AA767 from MIA to YVR i used to take during summers when school was out. Long days past.
Too bad we don't have a daily direct to Atlanta now. Bet it would pay off, especially with the Florida, Caribbean, & S.America dest'nation markets factored in.

SpongeG
Dec 19, 2016, 11:48 AM
Quite a few delay's at y r tonight, my flight down was delayed 40 minutes, I assume it was a yvr yxj flight which left yvr late

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/448/31368281160_34429e2e7e_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PMUD8N)2016-12-19_03-41-18 (https://flic.kr/p/PMUD8N) by snub_you (https://www.flickr.com/photos/spongeg/), on Flickr

Brooks brother's in c gate area could open soon...

https://c5.staticflickr.com/1/332/30899678604_1de0733f92_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/P5uVVo)2016-12-19_03-41-31 (https://flic.kr/p/P5uVVo) by snub_you (https://www.flickr.com/photos/spongeg/), on Flickr

casper
Dec 20, 2016, 7:59 AM
Alaska and Delta have been having difficulties. They share the same home in SEA but have been sleeping in different beds lately. They have still been talking to each other but it just has not clicked and have been finding less and less in common.

Now, after a few dates with a Virgin it looks like Alaska is set to ties the knot with someone else. Delta and Alaska are breaking up. No more Delta points to the Alaska program.

What will this mean for Vancouver? For the last two-three years Delta has been running a CRJ between YVR and SEA. Same thing with Victoria. I wonder if this means more SEA service from Delta.

On the Alaska front they have this new marriage with Virgin America. Will this mean the return of Alaska (or Virgin) flights to California?

YVR Bruce
Dec 20, 2016, 3:51 PM
What will this mean for Vancouver?

I'm thinking there must be some feed available for YVR to Asia and Europe. Many in WA / OR / Idaho would have AS as their primary carrier (and points prog); for long haul travel they would have ridden DL for AS points.

Perhaps AC can pull some of that business, via DH3/4 connections to one or more of Spokane / Eugene / Boise (?). It would fit with AC's 6th freedom drive.

casper
Dec 20, 2016, 5:57 PM
I'm thinking there must be some feed available for YVR to Asia and Europe. Many in WA / OR / Idaho would have AS as their primary carrier (and points prog); for long haul travel they would have ridden DL for AS points.

Perhaps AC can pull some of that business, via DH3/4 connections to one or more of Spokane / Eugene / Boise (?). It would fit with AC's 6th freedom drive.

The Alaska Mileage Plus program includes earning and redemption on: Cathay, Air France, AeroMexico, KLM, and Qantas who all serve YVR but do not serve Seattle.

Since they are dropping code share and millage redemption/earn with Delta. It may be good for YVR.