PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143

LeftCoaster
Dec 21, 2016, 8:15 PM
Rumours on flyertalk: YVR - BKK and MNL coming soon on Air Canada.

Both make sense, will be interesting to see the next batch of AC789s and where they end up.

Fingers crossed AC exercises their options on the 789, that would really increase the likelyhood of the growth continuing.

More? Would they bring back SMF?

The new morning flight is good for connection to the Asian flights around noon.

Love this increase, times into the first Asian bank beautifully. This is the kind of transborder growth that will really help AC/star alliance sustain its growing Asia hub here.

The Alaska Mileage Plus program includes earning and redemption on: Cathay, Air France, AeroMexico, KLM, and Qantas who all serve YVR but do not serve Seattle.

Since they are dropping code share and millage redemption/earn with Delta. It may be good for YVR.

I would assume their drop with delta affects all star alliance partners so they would no longer redeem/earn with KLM, Cathay etc.. either.

vanlaw
Dec 21, 2016, 9:00 PM
I would assume their drop with delta affects all star alliance partners so they would no longer redeem/earn with KLM, Cathay etc.. either.

You mean Skyteam I think. I hope that's not the result. Hopefully the drop of Delta is more a result of their pissing match over Seatac and not a move away from more of their Mileage Plan partners..

LeftCoaster
Dec 21, 2016, 11:16 PM
You mean Skyteam I think. I hope that's not the result. Hopefully the drop of Delta is more a result of their pissing match over Seatac and not a move away from more of their Mileage Plan partners..

Haha yep.

I'd be surprised if their spat with Delta didn't roll over to the rest of the alliance though, Delta are pretty influential as a founding member after all.

vanlaw
Dec 22, 2016, 12:36 AM
Haha yep.

I'd be surprised if their spat with Delta didn't roll over to the rest of the alliance though, Delta are pretty influential as a founding member after all.

True. That would be unfortunate. That's one of the big reasons why Alaska's Mileage Plan is so attractive.

LeftCoaster
Dec 22, 2016, 12:46 AM
Found some cool shots of the intl pier from a YVR ATC's twitter:

All shots from: https://twitter.com/Towerden

This one showing a portion of the Europe block:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmPCfYRVEAAtAF8.jpg

This one showing the afternoon Asian block (including a bonus 3 747-800s)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmYk4F_VIAAlTS7.jpg:large

Looks to me that there are
4 777-300s
1 7772-200
4 747-800s
2 A330-200s

That's a lot of plane in one shot!

Gordon
Dec 22, 2016, 3:53 AM
Great shot. which airline is the light blue 747 landing.

I was looking at the updated google maps satellite shot of YVR. There is no sign of any permanent construction at Pier A They have expanded The temporary facility to include gates A 6 & A7 bu not permanent ground level holdrooms. Can the area inside the main terminal handle the load from 6 full Q400 at once?

moosejaw
Dec 22, 2016, 4:05 AM
Great shot. which airline is the light blue 747 landing.

Korean air

Why is there two KA747s at YVR?

vanlaw
Dec 22, 2016, 4:40 AM
Korean air

Why is there two KA747s at YVR?

I think one is cargo.

jmt18325
Dec 22, 2016, 4:41 AM
One is - you can tell by the difference in the upper deck. The Cathay is also a 748F.

nname
Dec 22, 2016, 4:44 AM
So according to airlineroute, CA's YVR-PEK will become '777HD' starting March, and BR's YVR-TPE will be their version of '777HD' starting June... Seems like YVR is getting a collection of high-density planes...

POCO
Dec 22, 2016, 3:16 PM
So according to airlineroute, CA's YVR-PEK will become '777HD' starting March, and BR's YVR-TPE will be their version of '777HD' starting June... Seems like YVR is getting a collection of high-density planes...

I have to fly to HKG early next year and I'm trying to decide between the BR 747 before it goes away(maybe I can get upper deck economy...) or the CX 777. I'd rather avoid 14hrs in a 10 abreast 777 (Air Canada) if at all possible. I know the 777 would be a much more modern a/c and IFE but I've never had a chance to fly on a 747 and with fewer and fewer flying now...

The wife will probably want the direct non-stop flight with an afternoon departure anyway :(

I will definitely hit up that CX A350 on the way back in the late summer though :)

BR seems to have the cheapest flights to HKG and I have to imagine that a HD777 gives them room to fight any potential price drop Hong Kong Airlines or other less expensive mainland airlines are forcing on flights to that part of Asia. I guess it'll also help them avoid dropping the number of daily seats aswell. They retire their last 747s in March. It looks like their new 777s are coming in HD config and the older ones are being refurbished to the same.

I was going to say that I'm sure some evil person is thinking of how to squeeze 10 abreast in an A350 but it looks like someone already has (https://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/2015/11/09/european-leisure-carrier-is-first-to-order-10-abreast-airbus-a350/)... sub 17 inch seats.

connect2source
Dec 22, 2016, 5:40 PM

Sadly, 10 abreast is now the industry standard for the triple 7's. Been tracking the A350 deliveries and seems most are sticking w 9 abreast which will make them by far the most comfortable Y for now. Cathay and Singapore will be A350 dominant soon so good news for Asian travellers. The US3, DL, UA and AA all have them on order and my guess is they'll be 9 abreast as well.

mezzanine
Dec 22, 2016, 5:59 PM
I have to fly to HKG early next year and I'm trying to decide between the BR 747 before it goes away(maybe I can get upper deck economy...) or the CX 777. I'd rather avoid 14hrs in a 10 abreast 777 (Air Canada) if at all possible. I know the 777 would be a much more modern a/c and IFE but I've never had a chance to fly on a 747 and with fewer and fewer flying now...

The wife will probably want the direct non-stop flight with an afternoon departure anyway :(

With BR, you may be better off to avoid the upper deck economy on the 747. It has a lower ceiling than the main deck and feels less spacious. It isn't hard to snag an empty middle seat if it's 2 of you flying on the main deck v the upper deck.

mezzanine
Dec 22, 2016, 6:08 PM
YVR-NKG direct started 2 days ago. Of note, YVR-asia fares seem to be very competitive going into Jan-Feb. :tup:

Today, Vancouver International Airport (YVR) celebrated the inaugural flight of China Eastern's non-stop service to Nanjing, China. This new year-round service will operate three times weekly to Nanjing Lukou International Airport (NKG).

"We want to thank our long-standing partner, China Eastern, for choosing YVR to introduce this new connection between Vancouver and Nanjing, a renowned Chinese historical epicenter and a key economic hub," said Craig Richmond, YVR's President & CEO. "This is another exciting first for YVR—offering passengers the only non-stop access to Nanjing in all of Canada."

China Eastern Airlines has been operating at YVR for the past 12 years after launching daily service to Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG) in 2004. In 2015, they added new direct service to Kunming—one of China's key connecting hubs as a tag onwards from Shanghai. The new service will fly non-stop to Nanjing and then carry on to Kunming. This new offering will further connect YVR's passengers with China Eastern's network, which includes 128 connections in China.

The new service will operate using an Airbus A330-200 on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, arriving at YVR at 8:30 a.m. and leaving at 10:30 a.m.

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/china-eastern-opens-up-access-to-nanjing-607633876.html

Vin
Dec 22, 2016, 6:40 PM
Nice find of many wide bodied jets from around the world, Leftcoaster!
Wait till YVR start hosting more A380 planes.

sacrifice333
Dec 22, 2016, 7:03 PM

The dropping of Delta was a function of their merger with Virgin, it was a requirement of the DOJ to approve the merger.

It would be a significant strike to the mileage plan if it were to impact the Skyteam earning/redeeming. If that's the case I would expect Alaska to consider a more formal relationship with the alliance. But who knows...:shrug:

CareerShow
Dec 22, 2016, 9:42 PM

It appears actually that the daily Air China flight will continue to be the regular 773, with the now 3 weekly additional flight to be offered on the HD aircraft.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/270535/air-china-s17-north-america-service-changes-as-of-22dec16/

nname
Dec 22, 2016, 10:21 PM
It appears actually that the daily Air China flight will continue to be the regular 773, with the now 3 weekly additional flight to be offered on the HD aircraft.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/270535/air-china-s17-north-america-service-changes-as-of-22dec16/

Beijing – Vancouver
CA991/992 eff 26MAR17 2-class 777-300ER replaces 3-class, 1 daily
CA997/998 21JUN17 – 29SEP17 Seasonal service reduced from 4 to 3 weekly (Overall from 10 to 9 weekly). 3-class 777-300ER operates until 31JUL17, switching to 2-class from 02AUG17

The regular flight goes HD in March; the seasonal flight goes HD in Aug.

thenoflyzone
Dec 23, 2016, 12:31 AM
AC announces codeshare with CX, one week after announcing codeshare with VA.

CX codeshare link

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/air-canada-cathay-pacific-introduce-200000404.html

VA codeshare link

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-and-virgin-australia-to-introduce-codeshare-services-and-reciprocal-frequent-flyer-benefits-in-strategic-cooperation-606563026.html

CareerShow
Dec 23, 2016, 5:13 AM
The regular flight goes HD in March; the seasonal flight goes HD in Aug.

What happened to the 14 weekly schedule Air China had last year?

Aroundtheworld
Dec 24, 2016, 7:11 AM
There could be a lot more traffic coming YVR's way soon. Apparently Calgary Airport's botched new airport terminal is pissing off a lot of airlines, most notably WestJet. I think we'll see a lot of airlines that were using Calgary as their hub in Western Canada shift it to YVR.

casper
Dec 24, 2016, 11:45 AM
There could be a lot more traffic coming YVR's way soon. Apparently Calgary Airport's botched new airport terminal is pissing off a lot of airlines, most notably WestJet. I think we'll see a lot of airlines that were using Calgary as their hub in Western Canada shift it to YVR.

There are a number of passenger complaints about call to gate, lack of seating and water fountains.

The said, the complain WestJet has is the walk from where their domestic gates are located to the US and international gates. YVR is just as bad if not worse.

thenoflyzone
Dec 24, 2016, 1:59 PM

No such thing will happen. All of these issues will be forgotten in a few months.

jollyburger
Dec 24, 2016, 3:18 PM
They just need to order another 50 of these things.

http://www.yyc.com/Portals/0/EasyDNNnews/15/15p3759YPzqHg.jpg

Credit: YYC

teriyaki
Dec 24, 2016, 6:32 PM
YYC will sort through their problems. It will have no material affect on passenger numbers at yvr. People fly, for the destination itself and just because an airport has some quibbles will not deter passengers from forgoing their trip because the city and surrounding area is the destination. Not the airport.

Just a quick look at places like Newark will tell you that regardless of how bad an airport it, if the city has the draw people will still go.

trofirhen
Dec 24, 2016, 8:16 PM

There are a number of passenger complaints about call to gate, lack of seating and water fountains.

The said, the complain WestJet has is the walk from where their domestic gates are located to the US and international gates. YVR is just as bad if not worse.

Calgary's International terminal botched in what way? Casper, hi. I thought (incorrectly, quite obviously) that there was or will be a moving ramp from the Pier A/B end of YVR to the other areas. Obviously not.

Aroundtheworld
Dec 24, 2016, 11:32 PM
YYC will sort through their problems. It will have no material affect on passenger numbers at yvr. People fly, for the destination itself and just because an airport has some quibbles will not deter passengers from forgoing their trip because the city and surrounding area is the destination. Not the airport.

Just a quick look at places like Newark will tell you that regardless of how bad an airport it, if the city has the draw people will still go.

You're ignoring the fact that Westjet uses YYC as a hub and a lot of flights connect there that don't have to connect there. Those could easily happen at YVR or YEG. You should never piss off one of your best customers and YYC has done just that. I think there will be consequences.

Also, that shuttle system is a joke. Many of the airlines were apparently requesting a people mover be built. Perhaps more importantly, the baggage systems between the terminals won't be linked until 2019. This is more than just growing pains. It's poor planning, design and management.

SpongeG
Dec 25, 2016, 5:45 AM
Calgary's International terminal botched in what way? Casper, hi. I thought (incorrectly, quite obviously) that there was or will be a moving ramp from the Pier A/B end of YVR to the other areas. Obviously not.

for the reasons said, lack of seating, call to gate etc. go follow the calgary airport thread, there are pictures of people standing all over the place or sitting on the floor cause there is nowhere to sit

they basically have not put seating at the gates - imagine 80 people waiting to board their flight and only providing seats for 20.

'It just doesn't work for us': WestJet on new YYC international terminal
Airline says it was forced to hire 225 employees to service new terminal because it’s so far away
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/westjet-yyc-terminal-complaints-1.3908218

jmt18325
Dec 25, 2016, 9:38 PM
They didn't put seating at the gate by design. People will get used to it.

twoNeurons
Dec 25, 2016, 9:58 PM

Really? That's a weird design choice. People are usually exhausted by the time they get to the gate. Is there a rationale?

There were lots of design choices made at Mirabel, as well... poor choices.

jmt18325
Dec 25, 2016, 10:05 PM
Really? That's a weird design choice. People are usually exhausted by the time they get to the gate. Is there a rationale?

With Call To Gate, you go to gate when it's time to board - that's the way it's supposed to work.

Hourglass
Dec 26, 2016, 9:20 AM

Here's the issue: in other airports with ctg (e.g. London Gatwick comes to mind), they still have plentiful seating at the gate. You don't take away seating options at the gate to force people to stay in the central areas. It's trying to force different behaviors on travelers that is really unnecessary.

And those tourists visiting YYC for the first time? You think they'll "get used" to ctg on their one and only time through the airport?

I rather think YYC will be putting in more seats at the gate sooner than later.

Klazu
Dec 26, 2016, 11:45 AM
At LHR Terminal 5 I hate the call to gate, although it's only a short ride away from the main terminal.

jmt18325
Dec 26, 2016, 3:13 PM
Here's the issue: in other airports with ctg (e.g. London Gatwick comes to mind), they still have plentiful seating at the gate.

That seems completely counter productive, doesn't it? I know where to sit, and when I go, I'll sit there. Big deal.

trofirhen
Dec 26, 2016, 9:00 PM
With Call To Gate, you go to gate when it's time to board - that's the way it's supposed to work.

Here's the issue: in other airports with ctg (e.g. London Gatwick comes to mind), they still have plentiful seating at the gate. You don't take away seating options at the gate to force people to stay in the central areas. It's trying to force different behaviors on travelers that is really unnecessary.

And those tourists visiting YYC for the first time? You think they'll "get used" to ctg on their one and only time through the airport?

I rather think YYC will be putting in more seats at the gate sooner than later.

At LHR Terminal 5 I hate the call to gate, although it's only a short ride away from the main terminal.

I had thought that 'ctg' was rather a thing of the past, when flights were announced.
It has always seemed to me that people sit and watch the overhead monitors. Or am I wrong?

casper
Dec 26, 2016, 11:36 PM

There is one between A/B and C gates. That helps a little bit with the long walk form A/B to get closer to international.

First week of January I am flying WestJet Encore from Victoria to Vancouver then connecting onto a US flight. That is the type of connection that use to be easier in Calgary than Vancouver. Now it is reversed.

Hourglass
Dec 27, 2016, 12:07 AM
That seems completely counter productive, doesn't it? I know where to sit, and when I go, I'll sit there. Big deal.

Good for you. It's strange then, that every major international airport I've been to that uses ctg, including ZRH, LGW and LHR has plenty of seats in the gate area. I guess YYC has it right and these others have it wrong, then ;)

jmt18325
Dec 27, 2016, 1:01 AM
What's the point of ctg if you're just going to give people a place to sit at the gate?

trofirhen
Dec 27, 2016, 6:08 AM
What's the point of ctg if you're just going to give people a place to sit at the gate?
Because, perhaps, there are other passengers NOT at the gate, who require the ctg. For the people already at the gate, sitting down for a while can ease muscle cramps and fatigue.

twoNeurons
Dec 27, 2016, 6:40 AM
What are the advantages of call to gate?

Off the top of my head, I think it means that you could be anywhere in the terminal and you'd need less space dedicated to seats. While seats at every gate seems preferable, people will tend to wait at their gate instead of spending time ( and money ) shopping in the central areas.

Seats at every gate means that in between flights, some gates have lots of empty seats, and some gates are jam packed.

I'm assuming that's the reason Calgary went with this system.

The caveat is that some older ones and parents with kids prefer to be as close to the gate as possible and if the terminal is too large, you could end up being a long way from your plane.

In other news... I thought it was funny that one article mentioned: "There's a Starbucks inside the terminal, but not a Tim Horton's!" In YVR, it would decidedly be the opposite reaction.

twoNeurons
Dec 27, 2016, 7:14 AM
You're ignoring the fact that Westjet uses YYC as a hub and a lot of flights connect there that don't have to connect there. Those could easily happen at YVR or YEG. You should never piss off one of your best customers and YYC has done just that. I think there will be consequences.

Also, that shuttle system is a joke. Many of the airlines were apparently requesting a people mover be built. Perhaps more importantly, the baggage systems between the terminals won't be linked until 2019. This is more than just growing pains. It's poor planning, design and management.

Is the distance really that large? I was looking at Google maps and it looks like it's up to date. The longest distance I could find was 1.45km from one end to the other. Longest distance at YVR is 1.15km. Sure, it's not optimal, and Calgaronians aren't used to it, but it's not extreme, is it?

I don't know where WestJet is getting the 2km distance from?

http://i.imgur.com/3YUMYKl.jpg

SpongeG
Dec 27, 2016, 7:32 AM
the train shuttle thing only runs about 1/3 to half of that red line

POCO
Dec 27, 2016, 8:10 AM
So they built a big building that is inconvenient/time consuming to walk through. They also designed the gates with more limited seating so that people walk around and spend money. These sound like the realities of a large airport and a business. The baggage systems not linking up sounds kinda shitty though but I'm sure that the bags still make it to their destination.

I fly from YVR to YHZ with WestJet a fair amount. I hate connecting through YYZ, the gates usually cannot be further apart. Terminal 3 seems huge and lugging my kid and all our shit from one side of it to the other up and down elevators and through the tunnel is kind of exhausting. But I've learned to plan for this and I leave plenty of time for the connection to ensure were not rushed or over stressed and have some time to relax. Given the chance I'll always connect through YYC. It ends up saving about 30mins in the air and there's usually only a minimal walk.

Flying can be a stressful and frustrating experience but I think the vast majority of it can be mitigated by the traveler if they took more than 5 minutes to plan and think about how their spending thousands of dollars and flying in a miracle of modern engineering at over 30000 feet across huge distances. If they don't take the time to consider that the connection might not be seamless or that they can't be teleported from one gate to the other than that's on them. They also have to realize that you get what you pay for and if you want to fly like "the good old days" than you can as long as you pay "good old days" prices.

/rant

YYC will be fine. WestJet is just acting indignant to make the flying public think that the airport is the bad guy(like LMD mayors "fighting" against pipelines, they know it's meaningless and they and the province have ZERO say over it but it gets votes from gullible people) and to negotiate better deals with them in the future. WestJet will move flights to wherever the money demands it.

Can we get back to talking about mythical colourful tailed airplanes :)

trofirhen
Dec 27, 2016, 8:17 AM
Can we get back to talking about mythical colourful tailed airplanes :)

Yeah!!!! Like that 'ground-breaking', 'game-changing' route coming to YVR !!!! :D

zahav
Dec 27, 2016, 8:45 PM
A couple minor schedule updates in the last few days.

-Aeromexico is going full double daily in the summer, after announcing going from 7 to 10 weekly starting in January. Route must be doing well. There will be an early morning and a late night departure.
-China Eastern has loaded their summer scheds formally now. 11 weekly non-stop to PVG, and 3 weekly non-stop to NKG (continuing on to KMG). The interesting thing is their choice of days. Rather than stagger so they have 2 daily flights, they are grouped together so there's several days with 3 flights, and then several with just 1 flight
-United has finally loaded back Newark and a 2nd daily Houston flight. United, of course, has about 2 million schedule updates before they are final, but glad to see these added back since you never know what will come back until it's actually there (esp after the cuts carriers made at YEG, YXE, etc)

Johnny Aussie
Dec 28, 2016, 12:14 AM
A couple minor schedule updates in the last few days.

-Aeromexico is going full double daily in the summer, after announcing going from 7 to 10 weekly starting in January. Route must be doing well. There will be an early morning and a late night departure.
-China Eastern has loaded their summer scheds formally now. 11 weekly non-stop to PVG, and 3 weekly non-stop to NKG (continuing on to KMG). The interesting thing is their choice of days. Rather than stagger so they have 2 daily flights, they are grouped together so there's several days with 3 flights, and then several with just 1 flight
-United has finally loaded back Newark and a 2nd daily Houston flight. United, of course, has about 2 million schedule updates before they are final, but glad to see these added back since you never know what will come back until it's actually there (esp after the cuts carriers made at YEG, YXE, etc)

1) that's awesome. The relaxing of the visa requirement obviously having a positive impact. Add to that Interjet's most likely entry into the market along with CZ.... YVR-MEX will be a very busy route.

2) and on some days two flights will arrive within 5 minutes of each other. I'm
wondering if MU will upgauge any of its flights.

3) United notoriously has added EWR last. They do have a peculiar way of adding their schedules. They added EWR and IAD earlier than last year though.

Speaking of colourful tails only 3 more days until Beijing Capital starts their flights. Hainan has slapped a code share on the flight. Once Hong Kong Airlines starts next summer if these two park next to each other that will be a lot of red and yellow tail!

excel
Dec 28, 2016, 1:14 AM
United back to EWR is great news :) Together with AC's 787, this route has pretty good service. What equipment will they be using? A320?

thenoflyzone
Dec 28, 2016, 2:17 AM
Is the distance really that large? I was looking at Google maps and it looks like it's up to date. The longest distance I could find was 1.45km from one end to the other. Longest distance at YVR is 1.15km. Sure, it's not optimal, and Calgaronians aren't used to it, but it's not extreme, is it?

I don't know where WestJet is getting the 2km distance from?

I agree, it's not that bad. This whole thing about the new terminal at YYC is being blown out of proportion. It will be forgotten in a few months. WS is stupid, having voiced their displeasure with it. They are only hurting themselves in doing so.

YUL is 1.07 km from the tip of international jetty to the tip of the domestic one. It's 1.11 km from transborder to domestic. So same as YVR, and just a bit less than YYC. I don't see why the extra 300 meters of walking at YYC is too much. Just suck it up and walk, or take the damn YYC Link. End of story.

nname
Dec 28, 2016, 2:51 AM

Maybe they need to schedule it this way to be able to swap planes at YVR. Bizarrely, the plane for KMG-NKG-YVR is actually based in Shanghai instead of their Yunnan (based in KMG) or Jiangsu (based in NKG) divisions. Right now, the plane have to get to/from Shanghai via some random upgauge... Last time it was KMG-PVG-KIX with a plane swap at PVG.

1) that's awesome. The relaxing of the visa requirement obviously having a positive impact. Add to that Interjet's most likely entry into the market along with CZ.... YVR-MEX will be a very busy route.

With the recent issue with SSJs, not sure if there is any change in their plan, as they are seriously short of planes now...

jmt18325
Dec 28, 2016, 4:50 AM
I agree, it's not that bad. This whole thing about the new terminal at YYC is being blown out of proportion. It will be forgotten in a few months. WS is stupid, having voiced their displeasure with it. They are only hurting themselves in doing so.

YUL is 1.07 km from the tip of international jetty to the tip of the domestic one. It's 1.11 km from transborder to domestic. So same as YVR, and just a bit less than YYC. I don't see why the extra 300 meters of walking at YYC is too much. Just suck it up and walk, or take the damn YYC Link. End of story.

Finally.

To hear some others tell it, this is literally the end of the world.

trofirhen
Dec 28, 2016, 4:55 AM
... that's awesome. The relaxing of the visa requirement obviously having a positive impact. Add to that Interjet's most likely entry into the market along with CZ.... YVR-MEX will be a very busy route.
When / if do you think we'll get Guadalajara and / or Monterrey?

Johnny Aussie
Dec 28, 2016, 5:01 AM
When / if do you think we'll get Guadalajara and / or Monterrey?

I would assume they will establish YYZ and YVR to MEX first and then add MTY and GDL later once MEX is strong enough. MEX is by far the largest non sun destination market from YVR. Certainly the largest for Mexican originating passengers.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 28, 2016, 5:04 AM
Finally.

To hear some others tell it, this is literally the end of the world.

Following the following threads the common theme seems to be:

YVR - new carriers and new routes and the upcoming expansion announcement
YYC - pages and pages of complaint after complaint (same thing repeated over and over)
YEG - always whinging and complaining about Calgary
Canada - should be relabelled YUL with a side of YYT.

jmt18325
Dec 28, 2016, 5:37 AM
I really wish there was more YYZ talk here. People at Urban Toronto just don't care enough about YYZ to give me much info.

SpongeG
Dec 28, 2016, 6:44 AM
the link doesn't take you from domestic to international at calgary, you have to get off not too far from the c area and hoof it to a small set of doors to get into the international side

a few moving sidewalks would help out those areas

nname
Dec 28, 2016, 9:25 AM
China Airlines will run their last B744 to YVR on July 31st, and A359 service will commence in August according to airlineroute (http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/270617/china-airlines-s17-operation-changes-as-of-28dec16/).

Interestingly it was exact same date as BR's original plan to phase out the 744 (which had since been moved forward to late-June)

Gordon
Dec 28, 2016, 3:15 PM
Is YVR not in t progress of building better. Connecting infrastructure between the pier A/ b area and the inrtnational terminal?

jollyburger
Dec 28, 2016, 4:05 PM
“Through our walkways, we manage to keep the walking down to 1,000 feet. We do anticipate, as we grow, that more people will have limited mobility, more elderly people, so could have golf cart type transports that look like more like a train.”

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/weekly-feature/flight-plan-how-yvr-is-growin-up-and-growin-out-1.2360359

And this:

The Expedited Transfer Facility Package 2 project at Vancouver International Airport is a continuous corridor connecting the domestic terminal building to the international terminal building, expediting international passengers to their next international flight or to customs.

Constructing the new 183-meter corridor and bridge sounds pretty straightforward until you consider its location—the area directly in front of the pre-board screening and passenger exit areas, which see an average of 900,000 passengers monthly. Add in a few rules: no hoarding, nightshift work only, and no crane access.

http://www.pcl.com/Projects-that-Inspire/Pages/YVR-Expedited-Transfer-Facility-Package-2.aspx

mezzanine
Dec 28, 2016, 6:28 PM
^YYC link-type golf carts seem like a bad idea. Looking at comments here and on flyertalk:

- they quickly get swamped if a widebody alights
-if you add baggage and other airport staff using it, it greatly limits thru-put for passengers.
- there is a physical limit to the number of carts you can use on the dedicated track.
-walking is almost comparable wrt to speed if you are used to intl airports elsewhere if you are a not a senior or a family with young kids, especially if you have to wait for a cart.
-even YYC link seems to be a compromise added on at the last minute for WS's benefit due to the distance of their gates in domestic to intl.

YVR should stick with moving walkways (even a people mover train, but moving walkways can probably do the job at YVR). Both can be automated and have far greater capacity and reliability.

mezzanine
Dec 29, 2016, 3:28 AM
22 million here we come! in 2017 will we see another 2 million in annual growth?

Vancouver's International Airport is booming, with a predicted total of 22 million passengers passing through its security gates in 2016, breaking all previous traffic records.

That's nearly two million more than in 2015, when the airport saw 20.3 million passengers come through.

The total number of holiday travellers has not yet been tallied, said Vancouver Airport media relations representative Terry Chou.

But the average seen during the peak Christmas period beginning Dec. 19 and ending Dec. 31 is predicted to be about 70,000 passengers.

Top holiday destinations include Calgary, Toronto, Hawaii, Mexico, Southern California and the Asia-Pacific region.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/yvr-airport-traffic-22-million-1.3914259

zahav
Dec 29, 2016, 10:02 AM
United back to EWR is great news :) Together with AC's 787, this route has pretty good service. What equipment will they be using? A320?

737-800.

The China Airlines announcement wasn't just about the equipment switch, but also that they are finally increasing to daily flights. This is excellent news, since now there will be daily TPE flights on AC and CI. And then BR at 5x weekly.

These increases keep adding up. A couple random tidbits. On peak days this summer, there will be 47 international non-stop flights! 47! That's pretty major, almost 50 international per day, 95% of which are on heavy aircraft.

On certain days, we will have 3+ flights to Beijing, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Mexico City, Shanghai, Taipei, and Tokyo. Having that type of frequency on the big routes is great, and solidifies our position among major international airports.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 29, 2016, 4:28 PM
737-800.

The China Airlines announcement wasn't just about the equipment switch, but also that they are finally increasing to daily flights. This is excellent news, since now there will be daily TPE flights on AC and CI. And then BR at 5x weekly.

These increases keep adding up. A couple random tidbits. On peak days this summer, there will be 47 international non-stop flights! 47! That's pretty major, almost 50 international per day, 95% of which are on heavy aircraft.

On certain days, we will have 3+ flights to Beijing, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Mexico City, Shanghai, Taipei, and Tokyo. Having that type of frequency on the big routes is great, and solidifies our position among major international airports.

China Airlines has always been daily in the summer though. So it's not really an increase in capacity. CI in fact adds additional frequencies during certain periods (like now) to have two flight per day. Overall YVR-TPE will be way up though as you mentioned AC joining in.

twoNeurons
Dec 29, 2016, 11:26 PM
^YYC link-type golf carts seem like a bad idea. Looking at comments here and on flyertalk:

- they quickly get swamped if a widebody alights
-if you add baggage and other airport staff using it, it greatly limits thru-put for passengers.
- there is a physical limit to the number of carts you can use on the dedicated track.
-walking is almost comparable wrt to speed if you are used to intl airports elsewhere if you are a not a senior or a family with young kids, especially if you have to wait for a cart.
-even YYC link seems to be a compromise added on at the last minute for WS's benefit due to the distance of their gates in domestic to intl.

YVR should stick with moving walkways (even a people mover train, but moving walkways can probably do the job at YVR). Both can be automated and have far greater capacity and reliability.

I'd love to see YVR install a couple of these:
WRX_CJvfYyU

Ingenious system.

I think with YYC it's just a matter of airport is growing up pains. The international terminal has made things really inconvenient "in comparison" to before, as the space simply is bigger. Does everyone remember when Vancouver built its international terminal?

1986:
http://www.globalairphotos.info/images/bc/richmond/1986/rhh1986_002.jpg

That green grassy area on the right is where the international terminal is now. They built the international terminal between 1992–1996. That's only 20 years ago... and there was only 1 runway!

Oh... and this was when downtown looked like this:
http://www.globalairphotos.info/images/bc/vancouver/1986/vch1986_025.jpg

Yeah, things change and the luggage transfer thing was botched a bit but hey... it's not a huge deal... although those electric buses seem like a silly half-measure. Either built a people mover or moving walkways... don't go half-way.

Typical Calgary though... they also built LRT through their downtown and now have plans to retrofit to put it underground.

Vagabond
Dec 30, 2016, 12:56 AM

And any indication of the schedule? I'm hoping for something earlier in the day (on the return from EWR) than AC's evening flight.

trofirhen
Dec 30, 2016, 12:56 AM
.... among major international airports ...... such music to my ears!! :whistle::ohyeah

nname
Dec 30, 2016, 2:16 AM
And any indication of the schedule? I'm hoping for something earlier in the day (on the return from EWR) than AC's evening flight.

7:30am? :D

excel
Dec 30, 2016, 2:21 AM
That green grassy area on the right is where the international terminal is now. They built the international terminal between 1992–1996. That's only 20 years ago... and there was only 1 runway!

2 Runways. There is 3 now ;)

trofirhen
Dec 30, 2016, 1:34 PM
Looking at the Wikipedia site for YVR, which is always kept up to date, I noticed that Minneapolis is seasonal-only now, both on Delta mainline, and Delta Connection, which had it full-time.
I guess this is a route that just isn't lucrative enough. A shame, when the airport is growing so many other routes. Hope we get Minneapolis back full-time one day.

SpongeG
Dec 30, 2016, 6:23 PM
with prince no longer there who wants to go to minneapolis.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 30, 2016, 8:23 PM
Come on guys!

Before posting things like the above do a little research.

Try even a simple search on delta.com

So much public information available and you post such rubbish.

Go have a quick look at their schedule pages in winter and summer.... a very quick search will answer your own question as to why both mainline and delta connection are seasonal.

Wikipedia is the worst place to jump to any conclusions whether a route is lucrative or not.

teriyaki
Dec 30, 2016, 9:16 PM
Looks like Beijing Capital Airlines has touched down for the first time at YVR today. :notacrook: Wondering when I'll get the chance to take a ride for a review of them. :yes:

mezzanine
Dec 30, 2016, 10:31 PM
It looks like expansion plans for YVR will be revealed at a board of trade lunch on Jan 18...

https://www.boardoftrade.com/events/individual-events/837-60

Vancouver International Airport (YVR) is a key driver of economic growth, innovation and sustainability. As Canada's second busiest airport, YVR welcomed a record 20.3 million passengers in 2015 and is set to surpass 21 million in 2016.

But how will our airport continue its momentum in a rapidly changing and competitive landscape? Join Craig Richmond, YVR's President & CEO, to learn about YVR's future and what it means for you.

Cage
Dec 31, 2016, 12:20 AM
Its unlikely for the YVR master plan to be released through a Board of Trade event. Typically, these events are a recap of previously available information and events that have occured over the past year.

The better information happens during the Q&A period after formal speech. Previous events, Craig Richmond has let drop the biggest customer service challenges at the airport (hint its all on CATSA & CBSA).

One area that Craig Richmond should comment on is the recently released report on Canada's International Airports from Canadian Global Cities Council (CGCC). The CGCC is a collection of the eight largest Chambers of Commerce. Vancouver Board of Trade is a key member of the council. The report can be accessed here: http://globalcitiescouncil.ca/increasing-global-connectivity-and-economic-value-through-canadas-international-airports/

trofirhen
Dec 31, 2016, 1:58 AM
Come on guys!

Go have a quick look at their schedule pages in winter and summer.... a very quick search will answer your own question as to why both mainline and delta connection are seasonal.

Wikipedia is the worst place to jump to any conclusions whether a route is lucrative or not.

OK sorry, I goofed. It's year-round YVR to MSP; Delta mainline in summer, Delta connection in winter> Is that correct? Thanks:runaway:

Johnny Aussie
Dec 31, 2016, 5:03 AM
Come on guys!

Actually speaking of DELTA and MSP...

Next summer both daily flights have been upgauged to a 739 and a third flight (738) is being added on Saturdays.

So DL will be operating 17 flights on Saturdays next summer.

Delta continues to grow its YVR operations next summer.

trofirhen
Dec 31, 2016, 12:53 PM
Actually speaking of DELTA and MSP...

Next summer both daily flights have been upgauged to a 739 and a third flight (738) is being added on Saturdays.

So DL will be operating 17 flights on Saturdays next summer.

Delta continues to grow its YVR operations next summer.

Vancouver continues to be a Star Alliance dominated airport because of Air Canada, of course. But we have a lot of Skyteam airlines, too, and if Westjet ultimately joins Skyteam ... wow.

nname
Dec 31, 2016, 1:52 PM
if Westjet ultimately joins Skyteam ... wow.

I actually think that might redirect some of the SkyTeam traffic to YYC instead, since WS have a much bigger domestic and transboarder network in YYC than YVR. I think WS's network at YYC is even bigger than AC's network at YVR right now even after AC's recent expansion...

YYC actually serves twice as many destinations to rest of Canada compared to YVR outside of the two provinces. I always wondered about the low domestic connectivity for YVR... in fact, YVR now serves more year-round destinations in China than Canadian cities outside of BC... YYC also serves 3 times as many destinations in BC than YVR's service to AB... I was wonder if there really more demand for people in Nanaimo and Comox to go to YYC than people from, say Red Deer and Lethbridge to come to YVR...

trofirhen
Dec 31, 2016, 3:44 PM
I actually think that might redirect some of the SkyTeam traffic to YYC instead, since WS have a much bigger domestic and transboarder network in YYC than YVR. I think WS's network at YYC is even bigger than AC's network at YVR right now even after AC's recent expansion...

YYC actually serves twice as many destinations to rest of Canada compared to YVR outside of the two provinces. I always wondered about the low domestic connectivity for YVR... in fact, YVR now serves more year-round destinations in China than Canadian cities outside of BC... YYC also serves 3 times as many destinations in BC than YVR's service to AB... I was wonder if there really more demand for people in Nanaimo and Comox to go to YYC than people from, say Red Deer and Lethbridge to come to YVR...

Perhaps this is due to the fact that YYC, despite being a western Canadian city, is nonetheless more 'centrally' located. YVR is more or less at the end-of-the-road domestically.
You mentioned that, if WS joined Skyteam, this might redirect more Skyteam traffic to YYC. Could be, but would that include major overseas airlines; AF, MU, CZ, and the like?
YYC may have (or more precisely WS) more of a lock on domestic traffic, but for many USA destinations, and certainly overseas, YVR handles a lot more than YYC, due to being larger.
Would Westjet going Skyteam change that? Vancouver is definitely the larger hub for overseas traffic, and for many US destinations as well. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gordon
Dec 31, 2016, 6:22 PM
West Jet needs to expand its regional \ Commuter traffic thru YVRthet certainly have enough terminal capacity now with 6 A gates for their use.

trofirhen
Jan 1, 2017, 12:30 AM
West Jet needs to expand its regional \ Commuter traffic thru YVRthet certainly have enough terminal capacity now with 6 A gates for their use.

Yeah. I imagine something like a 'Toronto Shuttle' with a jet every 45 minutes or so. That would be a Great White Shark biting the guts out of Air Canada YVR-YYZ service.
Then, AC would be obliged to ante up its overseas / USA offerings out of Vancouver. ... just a dream of course.

CareerShow
Jan 1, 2017, 3:40 AM
Anyone have an update with regards to AC's LHR slot the second daily YVR flight used last year?

jmt18325
Jan 1, 2017, 7:15 PM
It's going to YWG.

Just kidding.

nname
Jan 3, 2017, 3:13 AM
Two round-trips only

Canadian carrier Air North in the first quarter of 2017 plans to operate charter flights to Reno, currently available for reservation on the airline’s website. The airline plans to operate Boeing 737 aircraft on Vancouver – Reno/Tahoe route with following date and schedule.

4N3011 YVR1200 – 1350RNO 737 19JAN17 / 23FEB17
4N3012 RNO1700 – 1900YVR 737 22JAN17 / 26FEB17
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/270676/air-north-schedules-vancouver-reno-charters-in-1q17/

teriyaki
Jan 3, 2017, 3:19 AM
Two round-trips only

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/270676/air-north-schedules-vancouver-reno-charters-in-1q17/

Very interesting route. Personally, Reno has completely fallen off the radar in any type of vacation context in the last decade.

casper
Jan 3, 2017, 5:35 AM
Very interesting route. Personally, Reno has completely fallen off the radar in any type of vacation context in the last decade.

In comparison to what it use to be with CP Air:
https://youtu.be/x72sOlbmD7k

The Reno Machine :) Come to think of it, it may be same model of aircraft still serving that route.

connect2source
Jan 3, 2017, 2:11 PM
In comparison to what it use to be with CP Air:
https://youtu.be/x72sOlbmD7k

The Reno Machine :) Come to think of it, it may be same model of aircraft still serving that route.

LOVE IT!!! Incredible to think that they could fill a DC-10 to Reno!!! ...coupled with steak on a 2 hour flight!

LeftCoaster
Jan 3, 2017, 7:29 PM
What happened to the 14 weekly schedule Air China had last year?

I'm a bit confused about that too. Is this route dropping from 14-9 or from 10 to 9.

I'm still showing it as 14 in my chart for the time being until we get some more clarity. If it is still saying at 14 but with all 77W that would be a nice change .

China Airlines will run their last B744 to YVR on July 31st, and A359 service will commence in August according to airlineroute (http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/270617/china-airlines-s17-operation-changes-as-of-28dec16/).

Interestingly it was exact same date as BR's original plan to phase out the 744 (which had since been moved forward to late-June)

Hope they still plan to go 11x per week in the summer. Would be shocked if they didn't as that would put the frequencies up for BRs grabs I would assume.

It looks like expansion plans for YVR will be revealed at a board of trade lunch on Jan 18...

https://www.boardoftrade.com/events/individual-events/837-60

I saw the plans for the D pier a couple weeks ago, they look great! Definitely a continuation of the distinctive high quality design they have through D pier already.

LeftCoaster
Jan 3, 2017, 8:29 PM
Two round-trips only

A rather silly gesture from Air North, seemingly to make use of under-utilized aircraft during the winter.

Would still like to see Reno get some Dash-8 service from AC though. The O&D is low but non non-existent and could be seasonal making it more possible.

nname
Jan 3, 2017, 8:39 PM
Would still like to see Reno get some Dash-8 service from AC though. The O&D is low but non non-existent and could be seasonal making it more possible.

Maybe more people will consider it as a vacation destination when there are direct flights available.

----------------------------------------

And according to this article, seems like CX is considering HKG-YVR-MIA

Representatives of Miami International Airport recently met with Hainan Airlines about a possible new nonstop flight, according to a source.

At the September meeting, Hainan officials said that Miami was a top route that they were considering, and that they would be studying the possibility of adding it.

Concerns of the airline include obtaining route authority from Chinese officials, potential payload penalties due to the length of the route, and the lack of a codeshare with American Airlines, MIA’s dominant carrier.

At the same time, MIA is also quietly working with other Asian carriers, including Hainan rival Cathay Pacific. The company wants a Hong Kong-Canada air bilateral amended so that the airline can add a Hong Kong-Vancouver-Miami route.

http://www.thenextmiami.com/hainan-airlines-studying-possibility-adding-flights-china-miami/

----------------------------------------

CAN-YVR-MEX will start in May

The planned new air route linking Guangzhou and Mexico City is anticipated to enhance trade and travel between South China and the Latin American country.

China Southern Airlines plans to launch the Guangzhou-Vancouver-Mexico City route in May, flying Boeing 787 Dreamliners three times a week, said the Guangzhou-based carrier.

[...]

http://www.chinaaviationdaily.com/news/59/59579.html

POCO
Jan 3, 2017, 9:12 PM
I would hop on that Cathay YVR - MIA leg in a heartbeat. But I wonder if they would just codeshare a new AC non-stop.

nname
Jan 3, 2017, 9:16 PM
I would hop on that Cathay YVR - MIA leg in a heartbeat. But I wonder if they would just codeshare a new AC non-stop.

But AC may want you to take their YYZ-MIA route instead so they can be the market leader in that route (currently AA have more seats in the market) :D

If CX runs it, it would have all the premium traffic going toward HKG... if AC runs it, I don't see it would be anything other than a (seasonal) Rouge route with low-yield vacation traffic...

LeftCoaster
Jan 3, 2017, 10:12 PM
Of all the MIA-Asia route fanatasies bounced around on A.net this one makes the most sense to me.

Links MIA into both a strong existing route (HKG-YVR) and fills a big gap in a route that would fly today if it weren't too long for most narrowbodies (YVR-MIA).

I wonder what kinds of hoops they would have to jump through to sell tickets on the YVR-MIA run, since they already have permission to do it on the YVR-JFK run.

sacrifice333
Jan 3, 2017, 10:28 PM

Reno, or rather "Tahoe-Reno", will make a viable winter seasonal next year with the Whistler inclusion in the Vail Epic Pass. Their Epic seasons pass gives access to all their resorts including three Tahoe resorts -- Northstar, Kirkwood, and Heavenly.

LeftCoaster
Jan 3, 2017, 10:36 PM
Didn't even think about that, very good point.

Johnny Aussie
Jan 4, 2017, 12:41 AM
Of all the MIA-Asia route fanatasies bounced around on A.net this one makes the most sense to me.

Links MIA into both a strong existing route (HKG-YVR) and fills a big gap in a route that would fly today if it weren't too long for most narrowbodies (YVR-MIA).

I wonder what kinds of hoops they would have to jump through to sell tickets on the YVR-MIA run, since they already have permission to do it on the YVR-JFK run.

This is something that's been in the works for awhile... CX has been looking at MEX as well with (you guessed it) YVR as a possible stopover/transit point.

I love how articles indicate companies are working "quietly" on agreements... only to blast it out in public....

nname
Jan 4, 2017, 12:42 AM
Just noticed the YVR flight departure/arrival page now list flights operating out of south terminal. Seems like it only have info for Pacific Coastal and WestJet flights operating in and out of gate G1 and G3 so far... (how many gates are there??)

This is something that's been in the works for awhile... CX has been looking at MEX as well with (you guessed it) YVR as a possible stopover/transit point.

Maybe CX wants to make YVR a focus city :D

thenoflyzone
Jan 4, 2017, 1:59 AM
if it weren't too long for most narrowbodies (YVR-MIA).

YVR-MIA is a perfect route for the 737 MAX 8. I would expect AC to start that route sometime in 2018, if it is indeed the largest unserved Canada-U.S. market.

Mind you, the A319 can currently do YVR-MIA non stop, even with the winter headwinds on the way back. So AC doesnt seem to think it is worth it just yet.

mezzanine
Jan 4, 2017, 2:49 AM
Maybe CX wants to make YVR a focus city :D

I'd like to see that happen. CX did open up a new marco polo lounge in 2016 at YVR and they have a lot of experience with their USA fifth freedom flight to JFK. They have more flights to YVR coming online in the spring as well. CX is under pressure now but maybe this might provide a higher-yielding niche than duking it out with PRC carriers and asian LCCs.

casper
Jan 4, 2017, 3:35 AM
I'd like to see that happen. CX did open up a new marco polo lounge in 2016 at YVR and they have a lot of experience with their USA fifth freedom flight to JFK. They have more flights to YVR coming online in the spring as well. CX is under pressure now but maybe this might provide a higher-yielding niche than duking it out with PRC carriers and asian LCCs.

It was mentioned some time back the the JFK flight benefited substantially from cargo traffic. Not certain how important that is on that route. MIA might also have similar dynamics....

teriyaki
Jan 4, 2017, 3:50 AM

Not sure where I remember seeing this, but I heard Hong Kong based carriers cap out at 7x flights running fifth-freedom. Considering that YVR-JFK is daily run. This puts CX at the top of that bilateral.