PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143

eduardo88
Jul 7, 2008, 2:45 AM
For such long and high demand flights, you'd think they'd stick with the bigger planes for the Vancouver-HK route. I honestly would not feel safe on anything smaller than a 747 on a Trans-Pacific flight.

the only thing larger than a 747 is an A380...and anyway why would size of the plane make you feel safer? 777 is smaller yet has a much longer range

mr.x
Jul 7, 2008, 2:54 AM
the only thing larger than a 747 is an A380...and anyway why would size of the plane make you feel safer? 777 is smaller yet has a much longer range

iunno, it's all psychological....and big planes tend to handle turbulence better, or so i've heard.

ravman
Jul 7, 2008, 2:57 AM
ah

its so dark now down where harveys is - kinda neat though to see stuff down there

yeah... you can barely get a glimpse of the luggage handling areas but nonetheless it should be nice underground luggage areas from what i have heard a few years ago.... YVR wants to make it easier for luggage to go from one end of the aiport to another end and that is why they are doing this i think....

northwest2k
Jul 7, 2008, 2:57 AM
Most of the 747's being used at the YVR are quite old.

twoNeurons
Jul 7, 2008, 3:19 AM
my friend's friend works for Delta in Atlanta and they used to get and from what i hear they still get 10 passes a year at 90% off air travel wherever they fly and you get the best seat in the plane available if available at the time ie first class but its on standby but priority standby

so i got a first class ticket from seattle - london and back to vancouver for $333 USD (2002) :banana:

is that a change at A/C? my friend went with someone who worked for A/C to beijing one weekend and she said the employee has to fly with the friend they can't just give the ticket to anyone to fly on their own

if so thats a pretty good benefit right there for A/C

Yes, sorry... the unlimited passes are companion passes... you have to go with and employee... but the "friend passes" aren't. I don't know if it's actually 4... that number just sticks in my head.

WarrenC12
Jul 7, 2008, 4:15 PM
I think WestJet is better-suited for that position. :)

I wish that Air Canada hadn't bought out Canadian Airlines back in the day. They were way better.

AC quality aside, remember they are forced by the Feds to keep running many routes to "essential" Canadian towns in the middle of nowhere that they would otherwise have dropped.

They are a mediocre-run business with extra restrictions.

Talk to anyone who's worked at Westjet, they pay piss poor and don't treat their employees too well, despite the advertising to the contrary. Pilots and flight attendants probably get treated the best by AC.

WarrenC12
Jul 7, 2008, 4:18 PM
Most of the 747's being used at the YVR are quite old.

What does that mean? :sly:

You know its the airlines that own the planes not the airport. :D

sacrifice333
Jul 7, 2008, 5:05 PM
Talk to anyone who's worked at Westjet, they pay piss poor and don't treat their employees too well, despite the advertising to the contrary. Pilots and flight attendants probably get treated the best by AC.

I know several WJ employees who absolutely LOVE the company... but they aren't quite getting the AC benefits.

But on the other hand, and this may not be correct, but I don't recall ever hearing of a round of WJ layoffs.

Yume-sama
Jul 7, 2008, 5:41 PM
saw some weird german airline - i assume it was german as it was going to frankfurt - i think it was called CONDOR

must be a summer charter service from germany

the airport was really busy when i got there - that totem pole room is really nice - the trickling water makes it a nice place to chill

whats opening in 2009 in the domestic terminal?

they have it all blocked off with big signs saying opening in 2009 - but i couldn't figure out what it was

I do believe it will be an observation thingy, so you can look out at the planes. Narita Airport has something like that, too. Though I am not for sure, since I don't really remember if the new observation thing will be in domestic or international (they kind of blend together when you're in them so often)... but there will supposedly be a bunch of new shopping, too.

twoNeurons
Jul 7, 2008, 5:45 PM
The Link building was SUPPOSED to have airplane observation on the roof top, but the FAA wouldn't approve it.

ravman
Jul 7, 2008, 8:00 PM
The Link building was SUPPOSED to have airplane observation on the roof top, but the FAA wouldn't approve it.

FAA is american

SpongeG
Jul 7, 2008, 11:54 PM
i always liked the vancouver airport because it seemed to be one of the few airports i had been to that allowed non-ticket holders to see the activity going on the runways and such

usually thats only visible once ticketed passengers have passed security

anyway will be nice to see the airport complete someday - when will theat be 2050?

MistyMountainHop
Jul 8, 2008, 1:16 AM

I have a cousin who works with their ground crew at YYC and he's really happy there, lots of free flights.

ravman
Jul 8, 2008, 4:34 AM
i always liked the vancouver airport because it seemed to be one of the few airports i had been to that allowed non-ticket holders to see the activity going on the runways and such

usually thats only visible once ticketed passengers have passed security

anyway will be nice to see the airport complete someday - when will theat be 2050?

u mean from the domestic building? or from the parks next to the runnaways

phesto
Jul 8, 2008, 2:52 PM
WestJet strikes alliance with Southwest
VIRGINIA GALT

Globe and Mail Update

July 8, 2008 at 9:56 AM EDT

Globe and Mail Update — WestJet has reached an agreement with U.S.-based Southwest Airlines that will allow the two low-cost carriers to sell seats on each others' flights.

“This memorandum of understanding is the first step that will see both airlines, by late 2009, have the ability to commence codeshare flights across both networks,” WestJet said in a news release Tuesday.

Sean Durfy, president and chief executive officer of WestJet, described the deal as “a defining moment” for WestJet, which was founded in 1996 as a regional airline in Western Canada.

“When you examine our network in Canada and Southwest's network in the United States, and the potential to significantly improve both organizations' market access, this is indeed a great day,” Mr. Durfy said.

Gary Kelly, president and chief executive officer of Southwest Airlines, said he is “confident we have found a perfect fit with WestJet, and we are excited to work toward opening our expansive U.S. network to include Canadian destinations.”

The airlines said they will introduce a distribution plan in 2008, with the codeshare agreement – which would allow each airline to sell seats on the other's flights – to be in place by late 2009, subject to regulatory approval.

The strategic arrangement between the two low-cost carriers comes at a time when other airlines are reducing capacity and cutting back because the high fuel costs and eroding consumer confidence.

WestJet said in a statement that other potential opportunities in the agreement with Southwest Airlines include “purchasing, ground handling, marketing and selling to corporate accounts and other areas of mutual gain.”

WestJet also announced Tuesday that June passenger loads were down from a year ago, but that the airline plans to continue with its expansion plans as competitors cut back capacity.

The number of available seat miles increased by 23.1 per cent, to 1.45 billion over the year, while the passenger load factor dipped to 76.5 per cent in June, 2008, from 79.9 per cent a year earlier.

“In the first six months of the year, we took delivery of five of our seven aircraft slated for 2008,” Mr. Durfy said.

“This represented a significant upfront investment strategy that will bear fruit for us in the remainder of 2008 and beyond,” he said.

“Despite huge challenges in the airline industry, due to unprecedented and unrelenting fuel prices and an overall climate of economic uncertainty, WestJet continues to lead in terms of growth and demand for our service.

“At a time when other airlines are cutting capacity, our cost structure and considerable growth opportunities are enabling us to proceed with our strategic plan,” he said.

“Our low-cost structure and high-value pricing gives us a significant advantage when dealing with the soaring cost of jet fuel,” he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------

This has been talked about for some time. Any ideas of how this will affect service at YVR?

twoNeurons
Jul 8, 2008, 3:39 PM
FAA is american

Yes. that is correct.

SpongeG
Jul 8, 2008, 10:39 PM
u mean from the domestic building? or from the parks next to the runnaways

from the building itself

ravman
Jul 9, 2008, 1:58 AM
ohh yeah this is amazing... i love westjet ( heck i used to work for them) and i love southwest(no i did not work for them) but this is good... they both use the same fleet of 737... so it will be easy for southwest to fly into canada and viceversa....

muzhav84
Jul 9, 2008, 4:50 AM
southwest doesn't have plans to fly into Canada. Westjet will fly into Southwest's hubs (Vegas, Phoenix, etc..) and then Westjet will fly into Canada, and across the Canadian route system. Canadian passengers will fly into the US on Westjet, and to various points in the US on SOuthwest.

muzhav84
Jul 9, 2008, 4:57 AM
Also, YVR traffic for May came out. I must say, YVR is holding up quite well in the face of a general decline in industry traffic. Overall traffic is up 6.6%; Domestic is up 7.3%, Transborder up 5.5%, Asia Pacific is up 10.3% (this even after Oasis went under in early April), and miscellaneous (mostly Carribbean and mexico) up 32.9%. These are very healthy growth numbers, and easily beat out traffic growth at Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal (only up 1.2%, and a transborder decrease of 8.6%!). Transborder, Domestic, Asian Pacific, and Miscellaneous traffic set all-time records for the month. As the year progresses, I'm sure growth will slow, given recently announced route & capacity cuts from various airlines, it is good to see we are outpacing the rest of the country's major airports, showing Vancouver is still a popular destination and traffic hub.

http://www.yvr.ca/pdf/authority/statistics/May_2008_Traffic_Update.pdf

Hot Rod
Jul 9, 2008, 5:50 AM
Im sure most of the West Jet flights will land at Chicago Midway, which now is Southwest's 2nd largest hub. I agree that Vegas and Phoenix surely might get a few flights, same with Saint Louis and possibly Kansas City.

But, Chicago has the best access of Southwest's network and it is the closest large hub to Canadian WestJet cities. Besides, you get the 2nd largest business centre in North America to boot - it only makes sense to hook up with Chicago Midway.

Now the only thing that could derail the link would be lack of capacity at Midway, but I think with the decline of Valujet and a few other carriers there, WestJet should be able to fill those slots with several flights from Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, and Montreal; you'd think.

ravman
Jul 9, 2008, 7:42 AM
i have been to midway and prefer ohare... its bigger and better lol... midway is far south and hence why it is serviced by low cost airlines.... but yeah... it would be interesting to see the pricing...

twoNeurons
Jul 9, 2008, 6:21 PM
There's a rail link to Chicago if memory serves me correctly.

SpongeG
Jul 9, 2008, 9:11 PM
southwest lands at all the second tier airports doesn't it?

didn't they apply to land at boeing field in seattle a few years ago and got turned down?

Smooth
Jul 9, 2008, 9:29 PM
southwest lands at all the second tier airports doesn't it?

didn't they apply to land at boeing field in seattle a few years ago and got turned down?

Isn't Boeing Field alot closer to downtown Seattle than SeaTac? It would almost seem like a good thing to be allowed to land at Bowing Field... unless you have to transfer flights. I'm sure that most second tier airports are less geographically desirable than their first tier counterparts though.

MistyMountainHop
Jul 9, 2008, 9:55 PM
I don't think Boeing Field has the facilities to handle scheduled passenger flights.

SpongeG
Jul 9, 2008, 11:18 PM
heres the story from 2005

Southwest's $130 million plan for Boeing Field
Airline calls it 'expensive gift'; critics say otherwise

Southwest Airlines yesterday proposed spending $130 million to build a passenger terminal and other facilities at Boeing Field, with the goal of launching service there and abandoning Sea-Tac Airport by 2009.

Competitor Alaska Airlines immediately announced it would seek a similar deal with King County, which owns Boeing Field, raising the prospect of 370 new jet takeoffs and landings there each day.

Southwest wants to build an eight-gate passenger terminal, parking garage, office space, rental-car space and accommodations for cruise-ship traffic and buses. It would not share those facilities with competitors, officials said.

"Southwest Airlines is here today to propose a gift for ... this community -- a nice big, shiny new expensive gift," said Ron Ricks, a company vice president. "And when we finish doing that, we're going to give you millions of dollars in fare savings so people can fly more places, more often, for a lot less money."

Critics quickly pointed out that the gift comes with potentially expensive strings -- the unknown costs of road and highway improvements, neighborhood noise mitigation and airport security upgrades. Those presumably would be borne by airport users or taxpayers.

"Southwest just delivered a $130 million bouquet of roses to the King County officials, but you have to look under the surface of what that really brings," said Mark Cooper, a Georgetown resident who lives near the Boeing Field runway, located between the Duwamish Waterway and Interstate 5.

When the low-fare carrier announced its interest in moving last month, some called it a bluff to win cost concessions at Sea-Tac. But yesterday's announcement, combined with Alaska's response, should launch a public debate on whether the Puget Sound area needs a second passenger airport.

King County Council Chairman Larry Phillips said he's not convinced Southwest's proposal makes sense for the region, much less for neighbors.

Phillips supported legislation introduced this week that would require any airline to pay the entire costs associated with relocating from Sea-Tac to Boeing Field, which is accessible off Interstate 5 through a counterintuitive maze of turns.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20050722/boeing-field-0722.gif

"Doesn't this sort of beg for some kind of on- or off-ramp for the freeway?" he said. "Are you going to be able to do that bob and weave ... with stacks of people behind you and in front of you doing the same thing?"

King County Executive Ron Sims, whose office is negotiating the details of a lease, said yesterday that questions about traffic, noise and other concerns would be studied and publicly vetted before any agreement is approved.

But he said a preliminary look at the proposal indicates that major roadwork might not be necessary. Sims said he would look to finance improvements with airport user fees, not taxpayer dollars.

He called Southwest's offer a "very generous proposal" that could deliver varied benefits to King County's residents -- from shoring up the public airport's finances to increasing demand for Boeing airplanes.

Southwest, which currently offers 38 daily departures from Sea-Tac, would seek to begin passenger service in 2009 with 60 flights. That number could grow to 85 flights, the company said.

The Dallas-based airline estimates its local economic impacts -- including payroll, taxes and tourism dollars -- would nearly double at Boeing Field to $1.6 billion.

Instead of stealing passengers away from Sea-Tac, officials said that when Southwest introduces or expands low-cost service, more people are enticed to take a vacation or hop a plane rather than make a five-hour drive.

Before Southwest introduced service here in 1994, roughly 100,000 people flew from Seattle to Spokane, according to the company's proposal. The next year, Southwest's cheap fares lured 70,000 passengers, while other airlines that also cut prices handled nearly 175,000 passengers.

Port of Seattle officials, who operate Sea-Tac and have opposed the move, say that because Southwest is already operating here, consumers shouldn't expect to see those benefits again.

But Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said high costs at Sea-Tac have diluted the "Southwest effect" in Seattle.

He expects per passenger airport costs at Boeing Field to be less than half of what the airline would pay at Sea-Tac, allowing the company to grow.

Alan Bender, a professor of aeronautics at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Florida, said a no-frills airport would make sense for Southwest passengers flying to regional destinations like Spokane, Boise, Portland or Oakland.

"Their needs are limited," he said, referring to the passengers. "They're not there to admire the airport or use all sorts of amenities."

Given the company's proposed 50-year lease at Boeing Field, spending $130 million on construction costs could over time be cheaper than paying fees at Sea-Tac, said Bijan Vasigh, a professor of economics at the same university.

Alaska Air Group CEO and Chairman Bill Ayer said the cost of building all the infrastructure that Boeing Field lacks is one of many reasons his airline would rather not pursue commercial service there.

He said that Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air, which currently offer 147 and 134 daily departures from Sea-Tac, would seek to compete with as many as 100 flights from Boeing Field.

A regrettable outcome of splitting those operations might be a decline in service for communities that depend on Sea-Tac flights for connections, officials said.

"If Boeing Field turns out to be viable for a carrier, then we're going to have to be there as well. We don't have any choice. We can't have a competitor with a significant cost advantage at a different airport serving the same market," Ayers said yesterday in a conference call with financial analysts.

King County Councilwoman Julia Patterson, who represents South King County, said she had extreme concerns about shifting that much noisy traffic over other communities.

She doesn't believe the loss of those flights would offer appreciable relief to her constituents around Sea-Tac. But adding hundreds of daily jet flights to Boeing Field would be a huge quality of life issue for neighborhoods under those flight paths, which range from Tukwila to Beacon Hill to Magnolia.

"They would simply spread those noise impacts and blight a brand new section of King County with noise pollution," Patterson said.

Sims dismissed the idea that Boeing Field would become a second Sea-Tac. There simply isn't enough space, he said.

Southwest's passenger facilities -- which would displace roughly a dozen tenants -- would occupy 21 prime acres around the airport's recently renovated historic terminal.

Sims vigorously disputed accusations that leasing that space to Southwest would show favoritism toward one particular airline. It's the only one that has made the county an offer.

Sims said the county would be happy to talk with Alaska, as it has several times over the past decade with no results.

"We have not shown preferential treatment at any time," he said. "We'll see what can be accommodated but our rule will be the same -- we're not going to spend any taxpayer money."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/233645_boeingfield22.html

Gordon
Jul 10, 2008, 2:35 AM
It Sounds like this is a dead Issue now.

Where is Southwest's nearest West Coast hub( California?)

Is there any news on the progress of the pier C Expansion?:)

Gordon

muzhav84
Jul 11, 2008, 6:18 AM
i will post a full construction schedule for the C-Pier tomorrow, courtesy of PCL

SEA-TOWN
Jul 11, 2008, 8:00 AM
Isn't Boeing Field alot closer to downtown Seattle than SeaTac? It would almost seem like a good thing to be allowed to land at Bowing Field... unless you have to transfer flights. I'm sure that most second tier airports are less geographically desirable than their first tier counterparts though.

Not really, after SWA came out with their plan, Alaska demanded that they be allowed to move about half of their flights to Boeing Field, dramatically reducing numbers at the airport that was designed to handle the passenger traffic for the Puget Sound region and currently undergoing upgrades to expand and reduce delays. It would basically all have been one big waste of money if SWA got their way. You're lookin at about a 25% decrease, at least, in passenger numbers at Seatac, not a good scenario really.

SEA-TOWN
Jul 11, 2008, 8:06 AM
It Sounds like this is a dead Issue now.

Where is Southwest's nearest West Coast hub( California?)

Is there any news on the progress of the pier C Expansion?:)

Gordon

SWA doesn't operate the "hub and spoke" system typical of the US legacy carriers. They have large operations up and down the West Coast including SEA, PDX, SLC, OAK, SJC, PHX, LAS, LAX, ONT, SNA, BUR, and SAN. And to some extent, GEG, BOI, and RNO. Does this mean all these airports will see Westjet flights? Definately not. Most will never see service from them. The only real point of the codeshare is to expand options for their customers. SWA is not the type of airline that will develop a close relationship to another through codesharing such as AF/DL or KL/NW. I don't think you will see any significant increases in transborder operations from Westjet. Just look at how they codeshared with ATA back in the day. They partnered on some flights to Hawaii and maybe 1 or 2 in the continental US. I don't this will be any different.

SpongeG
Jul 11, 2008, 7:38 PM
like ^^^ you say i don't see codesharing or new destinations

the article seemed to only say that one can now buy southwest tickets on westjet's site and vice versa

Smooth
Jul 11, 2008, 8:24 PM
Not really, after SWA came out with their plan, Alaska demanded that they be allowed to move about half of their flights to Boeing Field, dramatically reducing numbers at the airport that was designed to handle the passenger traffic for the Puget Sound region and currently undergoing upgrades to expand and reduce delays. It would basically all have been one big waste of money if SWA got their way. You're lookin at about a 25% decrease, at least, in passenger numbers at Seatac, not a good scenario really.

Thanks for the insight. My observations as an outsider were based purely on geography. I'm sure there are countless reasons why SWA moving to Boeing Field would have been a bad idea.

SEA-TOWN
Jul 12, 2008, 7:45 AM
Thanks for the insight. My observations as an outsider were based purely on geography. I'm sure there are countless reasons why SWA moving to Boeing Field would have been a bad idea.

Oh don't worry, geography probably did play a role, considering that it would also give Alaska, in addition to Southwest, a cheaper and closer airport to Seattle. As a result of it all though, fees were reduced at Seatac and SWA got what they were really after.

mr.x
Jul 14, 2008, 6:37 PM
Ottawa eyes runway extensions
Transport Canada explores new safety measures for major airports

Jack Branswell and Phil Couvrette, Canwest News Service
Published: Monday, July 14, 2008

OTTAWA -- More than three years after a fiery Air France crash at Toronto airport, Transport Canada is still trying to decide whether to require runway extensions at Toronto, Vancouver and other major airports that do not already have them.

Aircraft going off the end of runways is one of the most frequent accidents involving airliners, with at least 10 such incidents in bad weather worldwide since the Air France crash.

Yet the Transportation Safety Board's final report on the Air France crash watered down how the lack of a runway extension contributed to passenger injuries and damage to the plane, according to documents obtained by Canwest News Service.

Transport Canada is considering requiring 300-metre Runway End Safe Areas as a safety measure, which was a key recommendation of the TSB's report into the Air France crash.

Vancouver doesn't have RESAs because they aren't required by Transport Canada, said Brett Patterson, a spokesman for the Vancouver Airport Authority.

An early version of the TSB's Air France report noted if Runway 24L at Pearson Airport had a safety area at the end of it "the damage to the aircraft and injuries to the passengers would certainly have been reduced."

When the report was published that section was changed to read: "the damage to the aircraft and injuries to the passengers may have been reduced."

The Air France plane travelled about 300 metres off the runway before stopping -- but not before it went through ditches, fences and into a steep ravine and that the injuries and the plane damage "was incurred due to these."

All 309 passengers and crew survived but 33 people were taken to hospital, including 12 who were treated for serious injuries.

In a memorandum dated a little more than a month after the TSB delivered its recommendations on the crash landing, the Standards Branch of Transport Canada noted that "current airport certification standards are under review with the participation of industry experts."

That position hasn't changed from January of this year, when the latest memo was written.

A spokesman said Transport Canada is reviewing studies from ICAO and the U.S. on runway design standards and RESAs "and this review has resulted in a recommendation to amend the Canadian regulations and standards," but the department will consult with the aviation industry before finalizing changes.

Toronto's airport authority, facing a lawsuit over the Air France crash, would not comment.

Montreal recently refurbished its airport and runways and it brought them up to the most recent standards of International Civil Aviation Organization, including adding RESAs.

RESAs don't necessarily have to be paved or cemented runways. For example, Edmonton has fields that would stop a plane. Some U.S airports -- RESAs are required at major airports -- use a material that crushes under the plane's weight and slows momentum. Typically, that material is a wall of concrete puffed so full of air that it has a consistency similar of styrofoam.

© The Vancouver Sun 2008

SpongeG
Jul 20, 2008, 7:30 PM
i was at the airport last night around 9:30 pm

it was quite busy and almost everything was closed and the few things that were open were quite busy - why do they shut down so early?

there seemed to be flights well into the night - some left as late as 2:00 am and arrived as last as that

osirisboy
Jul 20, 2008, 8:56 PM
i have always wondered that too!

SpongeG
Jul 21, 2008, 2:59 AM
oi got to see the closed store - it looked pretty nice

Airport ideal for Olympic marketing

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/d791960c-73fb-4890-999a-2abd80596eff/2010.jpg
Julian Asuncion, Marketing Assistant with the YVR authority, checks out some of the Vancouver 2010 merchandise available at the airport with the recently opened Olympic Store in the International Departures area.
Photograph by : Ian Lindsay/Vancouver Sun

Visitors from around the world meet Vancouver at Vancouver International, and 2010 Olympic organizers are making a big bid to make sure they are greeted by a strong representation of the 2010 Games.

Vanoc and Vancouver International Airport have just opened their first dedicated Vancouver 2010 store, a 1,300-square-foot boutique located in the international departures area of the facility.

"It's an ideal market for us, and an ideal place for us to be," said Caley Denton, Vanoc's vice-president of ticketing and consumer marketing.

"People who come to Vancouver look for 2010 merchandise, and if they can get it conveniently at the airport, that's a great thing for us.

"At the same time, local people who are going abroad and want to take a gift with them, they know they can pick [2010 gear] up at the airport."

Vanoc expects sales of licensed merchandise to generate $46 million in royalties to support its budget. To earn that revenue will require $500 million in total sales. At the end of April, some $7.8 million were earned in merchandising royalties, according to Vanoc's latest quarterly report.

Denton noted that the bulk of that revenue is going to flow around Games time in February 2010, but in the meantime, the airport will factor significantly in generating sales among souvenir-hunting tourists.

Opportunities to exploit airport retail space was one reason Vanoc cited for striking a sponsorship deal with Vancouver International Airport, which brands itself under the banner of its international airport code, YVR.

The sponsorship deal (which is worth at least $3 million) includes allowing Vanoc to set up up to six retail locations with the retail contractors that operate at the facility.

Tony Gugliotta, senior vice-president of marketing and commercial development for the Vancouver Airport Authority, said the Olympic merchandise "is a welcome addition to our existing selection of more than 160 shops, services and restaurants."

Denton said the remaining five locations will be developed and unveiled as space becomes available. The next will be in the U.S. departures area.

To date, Denton added, the merchandising program is "tracking ahead of projections," with the Olympic and Paralympic mascot trio of Quatchi, Miga and Sumi proving to be among the most popular items.

"If I had to pick one thing, I would point to [the mascot program] as something that really caught the attention and the hearts of some people," Denton said, "because it has gone really well."

T-shirts and hoodies and the merchandise being developed by the Hudson's Bay Co. (HBC), one of Vanoc's primary corporate sponsors, have also done well.

With around 18 months before the Games open, Vanoc has signed up a roster of licensees that have produced a wide array of products from traditional caps, shirts, pins and glassware to more fashion-oriented items by licensees such as Aritzia.

"As a whole, we have a full line of different looks for people with different interests," Denton said. "And really, as a whole, the program is going well."

The Hudson's Bay, with some 500 stores between the Bay and Zellers banners, is Vanoc's biggest outlet for its branded goods, but the merchandise can be found at dozens of boutiques, souvenir shops and stationery stores around Metro Vancouver.

Denton said Vanoc is working closely with HBC to develop its Games-time retail strategy. That will be centred on a central merchandise superstore, with satellite locations at key Games venues.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=dffe8405-e74e-4ea6-a4c6-31d7233d0279

mr.x
Jul 21, 2008, 3:21 AM
Vanoc expects sales of licensed merchandise to generate $46 million in royalties to support its budget. To earn that revenue will require $500 million in total sales. At the end of April, some $7.8 million were earned in merchandising royalties, according to Vanoc's latest quarterly report.

That's pretty good.....that means VANOC has sold roughly $85-million worth of merchandise.

Punkster
Jul 22, 2008, 7:33 PM
Poor Seattle ;)

Sea-Tac losing 94 weekly flights this fallPosted by John Gillie @ 09:30:33 am Sea-Tac Airport will lose 94 weekly flights beginning this fall as airlines prune their schedules of unprofitable flights.

That figure comes from data from flight scheduling company Innovata.

Sea-Tac's lose is relatively small compared with loses at some airports.

At Los Angeles International, for instance, the airport will lose some 1,900 weekly landings and takeoffs.

flight_from_kamakura
Jul 22, 2008, 8:20 PM
Oh don't worry, geography probably did play a role, considering that it would also give Alaska, in addition to Southwest, a cheaper and closer airport to Seattle. As a result of it all though, fees were reduced at Seatac and SWA got what they were really after.

southwest played a similar game with sfo, and ended up pulling it all our in favor of oaktown and san jose when sfo didn't blink.

deasine
Jul 30, 2008, 8:54 AM
Safe landing at YVR
Joanne Lee-Young, Vancouver Sun
Published: Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Passengers and crew on Cathay Pacific Airways flight 889 from New York to Hong Kong had a scare Tuesday at 3 a.m. when they heard a loud sound as the plane was descending from 20,000 feet into Vancouver.

The plane landed safely and there were no injuries, but the Boeing 747 was grounded in Richmond so officials can investigate what happened.

Cathay Pacific representative Jennifer Pearson said an external panel on the fuselage was damaged in the incident, but it wasn't clear whether the panel fell off.

Officials at YVR reported there was no request by the aircraft for standby emergency services.

The airline was busy arranging accommodation and alternative flights for the 363 passengers and 17 crew members.

Source: Vancouver Sun

Gordon
Jul 31, 2008, 5:27 AM
Does anyone have any construction updates for the Pier C Expansion?

Gordon

muzhav84
Aug 1, 2008, 8:00 AM
I have a PDF of the construction schedule. Is there any way to post this, or link to it? I can email it to someone and they can post it

SEA-TOWN
Aug 1, 2008, 6:42 PM
southwest played a similar game with sfo, and ended up pulling it all our in favor of oaktown and san jose when sfo didn't blink.

It's funny because now they've come crawling back.

deasine
Aug 1, 2008, 11:04 PM
I have a PDF of the construction schedule. Is there any way to post this, or link to it? I can email it to someone and they can post it

If you can link it, that would be great =)

muzhav84
Aug 2, 2008, 2:20 AM
how do i link it? Where do I upload it to?

SpongeG
Aug 2, 2008, 10:43 PM
this sounds good

Cathay Pacific's Vancouver-Kennedy deal

Airlines are always looking for a way to pick up incremental revenue. One of Cathay Pacific's New York Kennedy (JFK) - Hong Kong (HKG) flights makes an en route stop in Vancouver (VYR) before heading out over the ocean. That, perhaps, is one of the reasons why Cathay can afford to offer $354 round-trip airfares between JFK and YVR. It would like to fill up as many seats as possible on the intra-North American leg of its run.

Through November 30 you can take advantage of one of the best discount airfares of the year. $354 buys you a round-trip economy seat on one of the most service-intensive carriers in the sky. That price does not include taxes and fees, but it does come with in-flight cocktails, Asian or Western meals, and an in-flight entertainment system hooked up to more than 20 channels of entertainment. Your transcontinental passage should not be a pain.

This discount airfare is good only on CX (that's the carrier's code) Flight 889 from Kennedy to Vancouver, and CX888 from Vancouver to New York.

http://news.cheapflights.com/airlines/2008/08/cathay-pacifics.html

muzhav84
Aug 3, 2008, 12:19 AM
Some updates on the C-Pier expansion and Link II project. They are going to re-number all of the gates in the C-Pier because of the addition. They are changing every gate, starting at C30. Will kind of be confusing at first, but will make more sense once the addition and renovations are done.

The Link II project is the second phase of the link building (the public glass building which serves as the entrance of the Canada Line, etc...). Link II is the post-security section, for transfers between the domestic terminal and international. Right now it is kind of awkward, lots of corridors and its like a maze. I will try and post renderings, but it will be a much smoother flow to get from one terminal to the other. They have a large construction crane up, you can see it visible in the newest YVR Canada Line pics.

ps> can anyone tell me how to post or link PDFs??

clooless
Aug 3, 2008, 3:25 AM
You could upload the file to a service like YouSendIt or Rapidshare and then post the link here.

SpongeG
Aug 3, 2008, 7:56 PM
Some updates on the C-Pier expansion and Link II project. They are going to re-number all of the gates in the C-Pier because of the addition. They are changing every gate, starting at C30. Will kind of be confusing at first, but will make more sense once the addition and renovations are done.

The Link II project is the second phase of the link building (the public glass building which serves as the entrance of the Canada Line, etc...). Link II is the post-security section, for transfers between the domestic terminal and international. Right now it is kind of awkward, lots of corridors and its like a maze. I will try and post renderings, but it will be a much smoother flow to get from one terminal to the other. They have a large construction crane up, you can see it visible in the newest YVR Canada Line pics.

ps> can anyone tell me how to post or link PDFs??

its fun to watch the confused passengers drag their luggage from the international/US to domestic terminal

i was there two weeks ago and some europeans looked dead lost - are you sure we have to keep going this way they asked each other as they tried to figure out where they were - i guess trying to find a domestic connecting flight

muzhav84
Aug 8, 2008, 2:42 AM
Traffic update for June was posted. While traffic is slowing (as expected, all airports in North America are slowing), Vancouver is faring much better than its Canadian counterparts. Traffic grew 5.1% in June, and 7.8% YTD. For comparison, Calgary grew 1.2% in June, and 4.9% YTD. Montreal declined 3% in June, and has only grown 2.8% YTD. (Toronto still hasn't posted any update for the month, but we have been outpacing them all year).

What shows Vancouver is holding up well is that Domestic, Asia Pacific, Miscellaneous (caribbean, etc..), and Transborder all posted growth year over year. The only sector to shrink was Europe, but that barely dented overall growth. The fact that Asian Pacific and Transborder traffic has been growing all year is great news, and goes against what most had predicted.

http://www.yvr.ca/pdf/authority/statistics/June%20_2008_Traffic_Update.pdf

SpongeG
Aug 11, 2008, 3:24 AM
found these old pics

i flew on both these old airlines - sigh

http://www.airpixbycaz.co.uk/yyz04-cgkpw.jpg

http://www.airpixbycaz.co.uk/yyz01-cfcpd.jpg

pics from: http://www.airpixbycaz.co.u

phesto
Aug 11, 2008, 3:11 PM
Cathay Pacific cuts North American flights, including Vancouver

Hong Kong carrier boosts Australia trips
Wendy Leung, Bloomberg

Published: Monday, August 11, 2008

VANCOUVER - Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd., Hong Kong's biggest carrier, will trim flights to North America and add more services to Australia as it juggles capacity to offset the impact of surging fuel prices.

The airline will cut 10 weekly North America flights, including Los Angeles and Vancouver services, it said in an e- mailed statement today. It will add eight new Australia trips, including flights to Sydney and Perth. The airline's total capacity will remain the same, it said.

Cathay Pacific last month said it will cut flights to Canada and add more services to the Middle East as it seeks to raise earnings by boosting capacity on more profitable routes. The airline last week posted its first half-year loss since 2003 after its fuel costs almost doubled.

We will continue to maintain the integrity of our network, reshaping it where necessary to ensure we fly aircraft to where we can cover our costs and also make some money," chief executive officer Tony Tyler said in the statement.

Cathay's Vancouver service will fall to twice-daily as of Oct. 26 from three-times-a-day at present. The airline will also use larger planes on flights to Amsterdam and London because of demand, it said.

Yume-sama
Aug 11, 2008, 3:13 PM
That is unfortunate. Although, I did not know we already had 3x daily... that seems like quite a bit and it might make more sense to completely fill 2 airplanes, rather than have 3 (theoretically) 1/3 empty.

twoNeurons
Aug 11, 2008, 4:14 PM
found these old pics

i flew on both these old airlines - sigh

http://www.airpixbycaz.co.uk/yyz04-cgkpw.jpg

http://www.airpixbycaz.co.uk/yyz01-cfcpd.jpg

pics from: http://www.airpixbycaz.co.u

I flew these guys:
http://www.al-airliners.be/t-z/wardair/wd747.jpg

vanlaw
Aug 11, 2008, 4:29 PM
I flew these guys:
http://www.al-airliners.be/t-z/wardair/wd747.jpg

Wardair had the best service going, hands down. Had a great flight with them just prior to Canadian taking them over.

deasine
Aug 11, 2008, 7:59 PM
That is unfortunate. Although, I did not know we already had 3x daily... that seems like quite a bit and it might make more sense to completely fill 2 airplanes, rather than have 3 (theoretically) 1/3 empty.

It was mainly to compete with Oasis... but I have to say that was stupid of them to do so... Now that Oasis is gone >_<"

SpongeG
Aug 12, 2008, 12:33 AM
Vancouver flight cancelled due to volcanic ash over Alaska

Alaska Airlines cancelled one Vancouver-based flight late Sunday due to a dangerous plume of ash created by the eruption of an Aleutian Islands volcano last week.

The Vancouver-to-Anchorage flight was one of 44 flights cancelled by the airline Sunday after a wind shift blew ash from the Kasatochi volcano into flight paths. The volcano erupted last Thursday.

Alaska Airlines spokesman Marianne Lindsey said the airline has resumed regular service and Vancouver passengers affected by the cancellation can fly to Anchorage today.

"The wind has re-shifted and we're operating as normal right now," she said in an interview. "We're just watching to see what happens with the wind patterns."

Volcanic ash can cause engine failure in planes when glass in the ash forms hard deposits in the engines. The ash can also act like a sandblaster on windshields, creating serious visibility problems.

Lindsey said a similar event occurred when a different Aleutian Islands volcano erupted last year.

"It's not common but it does happen on occasion and it's something we're used to handling," she said.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=f35b18f9-4123-4eb7-b4a6-abc1960f4b43

northwest2k
Aug 27, 2008, 7:16 PM
Can someone post renderings of what YVR has planned for Templeton Road

Thanks

phesto
Aug 28, 2008, 6:34 PM
Looks like Zoom has gone bankrupt, their website shows all flights cancelled: http://www.flyzoom.com/.

Zoom Airlines files for creditor protection

Liam Casey and Linda Nguyen, Canwest News Service
Published: Thursday, August 28, 2008

OTTAWA - Zoom Airlines said Thursday it is seeking creditor protection because of "acutely difficult" trading conditions in the airline industry.

"Our trading position is a direct consequence of the horrendous increase in the price of aviation fuel and the economic climate," said Hugh Boyle, the airline's founder and executive chairman. He said that fuel price increases had resulted in a $50-million increase in operating costs in the past year alone.

Just last month, the airline announced they were expanding their flights to Europe in 2009.

In Ottawa, Zoom Airlines employees were seen leaving the company's Ottawa headquarters Thursday visibly distraught and in tears, as one worker said the budget airline has enacted massive layoffs. One employee was overheard saying no planes would be in the air Thursday. Other workers who arrived for their shifts were locked out of the building because their keycards were not working. They were told not to speak to media.

These problems may be associated with financial issues the budget airline is reportedly facing with its contractors. A Calgary International airport spokesman said late Wednesday a number of accounts with Zoom are in arrears, including one with the Calgary airport in excess of $400,000. The company's fuel supplier refused to refuel a Zoom plane when it landed in Calgary late Wednesday.

The BBC reported Thursday the airline had sought protection from its creditors. Phone messages left early Thursday for a spokesperson with Zoom Airlines were unreturned.

Meanwhile, on the Zoom Airlines official website - which was offline by early Thursday afternoon - eight flights set to arrive at Canadian airports Thursday have been delayed due to "technical difficulties."

The flights were scheduled to arrive in Canada from Kingston, Jamaica as well as Glasgow, Rome, and London, and domestic flights between Canadian cities, including Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal.There was no announcement on the website about the possibility of all flights being cancelled.

Also at the Ottawa International Airport Thursday, passengers stranded late Wednesday night returned to an empty check-in counter at the Ottawa International Airport at 9 a.m. with no answers as to why their flight to England was cancelled.

"We were told to be here at 9 a.m. sharp to check in, but no one's here," said passenger Eileen Moss.

Zoom staffers arrived around 9:30 a.m. to a maelstrom of unhappy passengers, but quickly left the counter for a "company briefing."

"We have no idea what's going on. They told us the plane had mechanical troubles in Halifax and by the time it was repaired, the crew had exceeded their allowable shift time," said Eileen Smith.

The flight was originally scheduled to depart at 5:45 p.m. Wednesday but was delayed several times before it was finally cancelled at 9 p.m. It has since been delayed from noon to 1:30 p.m. Thursday.

Passengers have been dealing with problems with Zoom since Wednesday when dozens of people were left stranded at the Calgary International Airport after their charter flight bound for the United Kingdom was grounded due to financial problems Zoom Airlines was facing with the company from which it leases its aircraft.

The 69 passengers expecting to fly on the Boeing 767 to Glasgow and then on to London's Gatwick Airport Wednesday night were left clamouring for information at the Zoom check-in desk, but were told simply the aircraft was "no longer available."

The particular airplane involved had landed in Calgary from Paris Wednesday afternoon. But the company that leases the plane to Zoom terminated its contract when the passengers arrived. The registration documents were to be surrendered to Transport Canada.

© Vancouver Sun 2008

Yume-sama
Aug 28, 2008, 6:51 PM
Hmm, I think I may know the problem.

The 69 passengers expecting to fly on the Boeing 767 to Glasgow

The 767 has a capacity of a minimum 181 and maximum 375...

northwest2k
Aug 28, 2008, 10:00 PM
Can someone post renderings of what YVR has planned for Templeton Road

Thanks

Fine I'll do it myself

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7963/yvrnorthlands20yrconcepot9.jpg

LeftCoaster
Aug 28, 2008, 10:12 PM
I knew you could do it! :tup:

jlousa
Aug 28, 2008, 10:43 PM
Hmm that rendering doesn't include the proposed 500,000+sqft new post office schduled for that site.

Gordon
Aug 29, 2008, 3:24 AM
The rendering is nice

How close is the Northlands Development to the Templeton Canada Line Station?

Does any one have any info on the Pier C Expansion?

Gordon

LeftCoaster
Aug 29, 2008, 3:47 PM
Hmm that rendering doesn't include the proposed 500,000+sqft new post office schduled for that site.

Shh, nothing's final yet! ;)

Yume-sama
Aug 29, 2008, 9:02 PM
So, I saw this story on CNN, and said to myself "Well, not even Air Canada would do that..." Since it was on an American news channel. But uhh, yeah...

Airline removes lifevests from planes, replaces them with flotation cushions to save fuel
http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2008/08/29/grant.airline.vest.ctv

Overground
Aug 29, 2008, 9:30 PM
Interesting. Well if you think how many passenger jets crash on water and survive the impact, it's quite rare. Also, how many skid off the end of the runway into water where a life jacket is needed?

Then there is the question of people inflating life jackets while inside the aircraft in a state of panic as it's filling with water only killing them as is restricts them from swimming out of the wreckage.

But then there is that small chance that life jackets can save people where a cushion can't. I'm split on the decision.

Yume-sama
Aug 29, 2008, 9:36 PM
Well, I think for "safety-wise" it should be ILLEGAL to not have them. You never know what could happen, and you are supposed to be prepared. And let's be honest, there really can not be much of a cost, if any at all, to keeping lifevests on board. I have never heard of an airline even THINKING about removing them before, but it is nice to know our flag carrier leads the World in cheaping out on services and safety expectations...

squeezied
Aug 29, 2008, 11:28 PM
whoa how did nw2k get banned?

eduardo88
Aug 30, 2008, 12:20 AM
whoa how did nw2k get banned?

FINALLY!! THANK YOU MODS!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

mr.x
Aug 30, 2008, 12:56 AM
Well, it depends on if he's banned permanently....he was banned temporarily twice before.

deasine
Aug 30, 2008, 2:48 AM
Bad Attitude and defying warnings = Ban. Simple formula.

Now let's get back on topic now.

mr.x
Aug 30, 2008, 2:51 AM
If only we had some modding work done at GamesBids too, towerguy3 is more insane than ever.

As for that airport rendering, we won't be seeing that for a very long time...it's decades away.

clooless
Aug 30, 2008, 4:18 AM
Does anyone have any updates on the upgrades to the Air Canada domestic waiting areas of YVR?

Yume-sama
Aug 30, 2008, 4:38 AM
Yes, they'll be taking all of the other useless safety stuff off of their aircraft, lifevests, etc. and recycling it in to building material. :yuck:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2384/2235078440_5c79e9919e_b.jpg
http://flickr.com/photos/78215847@N00/2235078440

lightrail
Aug 30, 2008, 9:46 PM
Does anyone have any updates on the upgrades to the Air Canada domestic waiting areas of YVR?

Yep. New pay-as-you-go seats have been installed - for $5 you can sit in the seat while waiting for your flight.

The emergency exits have been removed to make way for more pay-as-you-go seating

No lights now. You rent a flashlight for $10 to find your way, or $15 for a deluxe miner's style hat with halogen bulbs.

Way finding signs have been removed. Instead you can pay $15 to receive a free way finding map when you check-in

Turnstiles have been placed on the jetways - for a nominal fee of $2 you can use the jetway, alternatively, you can choose not to fly.

Can you tell how much I love Air Disaster - I mean Air Canada?

Yume-sama
Aug 30, 2008, 10:16 PM
Don't forget the $10 seatbelt fee, $15 tray table fee, $5 blanket fee, $3 pillow fee, and $30 deplaning fee.

SpongeG
Aug 30, 2008, 10:22 PM
Well, I think for "safety-wise" it should be ILLEGAL to not have them. You never know what could happen, and you are supposed to be prepared. And let's be honest, there really can not be much of a cost, if any at all, to keeping lifevests on board. I have never heard of an airline even THINKING about removing them before, but it is nice to know our flag carrier leads the World in cheaping out on services and safety expectations...

they removed them cause of the weight - they are removing a lot of things to decrease weight on airplanes

I heard some are getting rid of drink carts, rows of seats even in order to decrease the weight to save on fuel costs, other non essential stuff that was common - like blankets, pillows, magazines etc.

jlousa
Aug 30, 2008, 10:58 PM
Air Canada is not the first plane to get rid of vests, I've been on dozens of flights in which the only flotation device is the seat cushion. Pretty sure this isn't an issue. I wonder how many people have ever been saved in a plane crash due to their safety vest.

SpongeG
Aug 30, 2008, 11:06 PM
do people even grab the life vests? as far as I can think they aren't at every seat are they?

djh
Aug 31, 2008, 3:02 AM
they removed them cause of the weight - they are removing a lot of things to decrease weight on airplanes

I heard some are getting rid of drink carts, rows of seats even in order to decrease the weight to save on fuel costs, other non essential stuff that was common - like blankets, pillows, magazines etc.

It's all a load of backward "cost cutting". My wife is caught up in the Zoom nonsense. She had a ticket to fly next week.
Here's a good example of how Air Canada are giving with one hand and taking with the other.

For the Zoom flight, my wife paid fee $x. Her luggage allowance was 20 lbs.
For the Air Canada (replacement) flight, the ticket was $x - $200. But her luggage allowance was 100lbs. And Air Canada has removed free meals, free drinks, free movies etc. to "save on weight"

!!!

I'd rather have a smaller luggage allowance and a free meal and a free film to watch on the 10 hour flight to London! Or, charge me the same as Zoom, keep the huge luggage allowance, but then don't charge me for all the flight comforts!

Hong Kongese
Aug 31, 2008, 3:30 AM
Went to Hawaii and back with Air Canada last month, i have no problem with their service. Yes it is true i had to buy my own meal and beer, but the pops, juice and movies were free. I did enjoy my flight and i didn't have to worry about the flight would get cancelled because Air Canada won't get bankrupt. So, i really don't know what you guys were yapping about......Wait a minute, i do have one complaint though, which is their flight attentants are way too old, i can swear that one of them is over 60. I guess all the young and pretty ones got laid off and keep those seniors to save money.:D

muzhav84
Aug 31, 2008, 6:26 AM
for all the people who want C-Pier updates, i have many PDFs on the C-Pier expansion, and have asked before, "How do I upload them on here?!" no one has answered me yet. i don't know how to upload files, so if anyone is interested in the expansion details, ask me and I will email it to you, or you can post it.

lightrail
Aug 31, 2008, 7:54 AM
I did enjoy my flight and i didn't have to worry about the flight would get cancelled because Air Canada won't get bankrupt. So, i really don't know what you guys were yapping about......

Don't be too sure. Air Canada has been running in the red for years and it is not publicly funded anymore (though it seems to act like it is). It could go under.

lightrail
Aug 31, 2008, 7:56 AM
for all the people who want C-Pier updates, i have many PDFs on the C-Pier expansion, and have asked before, "How do I upload them on here?!" no one has answered me yet. i don't know how to upload files, so if anyone is interested in the expansion details, ask me and I will email it to you, or you can post it.

You need a server to store the pictures. You might have space with your ISP, use an FTP client to upload them. I think there are free hosts around too.

If you have shaw internet, you'll have a webspace you can place them

If you use Firefox, there's a FTP plugin that converts your web-browser to an FTP program

Then use the link tags and the full internet address of the PDF you're linking in this forum

MistyMountainHop
Aug 31, 2008, 7:56 AM

Upload it to Mediafire, then post the link here.

http://www.mediafire.com/

cornholio
Aug 31, 2008, 10:07 AM
Air Canada is not the first plane to get rid of vests, I've been on dozens of flights in which the only flotation device is the seat cushion. Pretty sure this isn't an issue. I wonder how many people have ever been saved in a plane crash due to their safety vest.

I will wager a bet that more people have been killed due to life jackets being on commercial planes then have actually been saved thanks to them...

jlousa
Aug 31, 2008, 4:50 PM
A lot of sites only allow you to host pictures or videos, if you have documents to host like a pdf, I've always had luck with www.fileden.com just make sure you don't click on any of the offers the offer in order to pay for the site.

muzhav84
Sep 1, 2008, 10:55 PM
thanks jlousa! let's see if this works..

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/9/1/2076982/YVR-Pier_C_Expansion_-_Schedule.pdf

jhausner
Sep 2, 2008, 4:41 AM
Sad to hear about Zoom. I flew Zoom too and from London and always enjoyed it. They were a good airline with excellent service. The airline industry is adjusting though and will over time be healthier with the smaller players out of the equation. It's a win-lose for us though because while the larger airlines win by having less competition we lose because we'll see prices continue to go up due to less supply.

All in favor of high-speed nuclear powered maglev trains? :D

SpongeG
Sep 21, 2008, 8:25 PM
Jets collide on YVR runway

No one was injured yesterday when an Air Canada Airbus jet clipped an Air Canada Jazz regional carrier on the runway at Vancouver International Airport.

A passenger on the Hong Kong-bound Airbus, which was carrying about 400 people, told CBC News that the plane was taxiing for takeoff when he heard a loud crunching sound.

He said passengers looked out the window and saw that the plane had collided with the back of another plane on the runway.

A spokesperson for Air Canada said an investigation into the accident is underway.

http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver/Local/article/114614

Hong Kongese
Sep 21, 2008, 10:46 PM
^^ Obviously, the airbus pilot didn't shoulder check when he back up. :D

Denscity
Sep 21, 2008, 11:47 PM
That smaller plane was on the way here to Castlegar.

Delirium
Sep 27, 2008, 1:27 PM
some construction shots of YVr. anyone know what the 2nd link building will look like?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/oct2gon/Imdfage1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/oct2gon/2830018229_e33be45585_b.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/oct2gon/2837983264_380453f6ee_b.jpg

Gordon
Sep 27, 2008, 3:48 PM
The new aerial photos are great Thanks

The airport has re-numbered the c-Pier gates from 30-47

Gate 34 is the regional concourse

The updated map on the site has has gates 30 - 33 on the SE side of the pier but the photos only show 3 gates there

After this pier is completed piers A&B will be upgraded .:)

muzhav84
Sep 27, 2008, 11:54 PM
The A-pier was totally reonvated only 4 years ago it isn't getting renvated again; only the B-pier is being renovated.

i can find you all renderings of the Link II project, give me until next week. It isn't anything architectural amazing, it will just be a much larger area at the top of the C-Pier... They have changed the security screening area and entrance, and there will be a much larger connection area with the International building, currently it is just a small tunnel. it should be very nice though, as that area has always been too cramped and confusing for conencting passengers going either to the A/B gates or international.

another project that hasn't gotten much attention but is very nice is the expanded shopping/viewing area around the moving sidewalk between the A/B gates and C gates... it is being massively expanded and should be open early next year. anyone flying through should take some pictures of this.

and FYI, YVR posted a new video as a guide for conencting passengers. check it out:
http://www.yvr.ca/guide/around/navigate_yvr.asp

excel
Sep 29, 2008, 7:18 AM
From YVR newsletter:

September 2008

Canada Line and Beyond - Construction Update

Those who have been to YVR recently will know the ongoing Canada Line construction project is among the most visible improvements being made to YVR. But the Airport Authority is working hard on a number of other construction projects to expand and enhance terminal facilities for our passengers. Below, a quick look at what's underway.

Domestic Terminal's C-Pier

As YVR's domestic traffic continues to grow, so does the need for updated facilities in the Domestic Terminal Building, or DTB. YVR Project Management (YVRPM), a subsidiary of the Airport Authority, is hard at work on a 6,500 square-metre expansion to the Domestic Terminal's C-Pier facilities that will see the addition of five new gates with increased capacity for larger aircraft including Boeing 777s, and a new themed dining and shopping area. Expansive west-facing views and original First Nations artwork will round out the new facility, due to open in the fall of 2009. Once completed, the focus will shift to updating other areas of the DTB, including A- and B-Piers.

More Terminal Upgrades

Work is well underway on a significant upgrade to the Domestic Terminal that will see improvements made to baggage screening on Level 1 by December 2008. Additionally, come November 2009, the DTB will feature an expanded food court with more dining options in the public area of the DTB, plus new retail stores and a public viewing area on Levels 3 and 4.

And, because everyone appreciates a nice washroom, upgrades to washroom facilities in the Domestic Terminal's B-Pier and the International Terminal food court will commence shortly for completion in the spring of 2009.

International Welcome Centre

Construction continues in the arrivals area of the International Terminal, working toward a 2009 opening of a full-service international welcome centre complete with a new Visitor Information Centre now open and operated by Tourism BC. You can read more about this new visitor centre in British Columbia Visitor Centre Open for Business in this month's edition of Air Mail.

Other Sea Island projects

A $1-million upgrade to the Airport Authority's dyke system and improvements to the south airfield is now in progress as part of our airside pavement capital plan.

As for the Canada Line, basic completion of the three stations on Sea Island is targeted for December 2008, with testing and commissioning of the Line to continue into 2009. Full public operations will begin in the fall of 2009.

As always, the Airport Authority appreciates our customers' and employees' patience as we work to improve airport facilities. Please excuse the disruptions; we promise you'll be pleased with the results.

Pictured: Steel structure of the C-Pier expansion project.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/excel91/untitled.jpg

excel
Sep 29, 2008, 7:21 AM
Top Marks for YVR

The prestigious Condé Nast Traveler 2008 Readers' Awards has named Vancouver International Airport #2 on the list of best airports worldwide. More than 2,500 business travellers completed the Condé Nast survey, rating airports on cleanliness, design and layout, shopping and duty free facilities, clarity of flight information and signs, luggage handling and parking facilities.

Up from sixth place in 2007, YVR received an overall rating of 86.10 out of 100 this year, and was edged out only by Madrid Barajas Airport with a score of 87.60. Changi Airport in Singapore ranked third with a score of 85.63. YVR is the only airport in North America to place in the top 10 in the Best Airport category.

Several of YVR's airline partners also scored top marks in the survey, including Singapore Airlines for punctuality and efficiency on long-haul leisure flights, Lufthansa for catering on business flights, and British Airways for in-flight entertainment.