PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139

Johnny Aussie
Mar 2, 2017, 11:52 PM
Thanks Zahav.

Europe is a bit concerning, I don't know why it is down so much, I can't think of any services have cut seats to last winter, so it must be lower loads which is concerning.

Other than that those numbers are incredible. 22% to Asia is crazy huge, and given the capacity growth on the sector through the summer, likely to stay high.

SFU I doubt Europe will come roaring back, there is only an additional 4% capacity to the region over S16 so there isn't a ton of room for growth. Add in the crazy low fare competition that is happening in the US and Eastern Canada and I don't think we're going to see much Euro growth over the next 18 months.

Being the forever half glass full guy... if you actually calculate it out Europe is down by only 72 departing pax per day... so it's not technically "down so much." Partly due to KLM down one flight per week for capacity losses. Also potentially the direct DEL flight most certainly will have siphoned off a few travellers flying via Europe. So I wouldn't get toooooo excited about it.

Overall total international is up almost 110,000 pax compared to Jan 2016... of that only 30,000 is transborder increase... now THAT is impressive!

LeftCoaster
Mar 2, 2017, 11:58 PM
Here in Europe, the unemployment rate is generally high, and national budgets are under strain from various sources, like the impending Brexit, financing the refugee influx,
and the outsourcing of much of the manufacturing sector to Asia. A lot of people, in most domains, are feeling the pinch.
That could be a big part of it, but why it dropped off so abruptly, I don't know.

Hmm I don't mean to slag your continent, but Europe has been an absolute basketcase since 07' so I highly doubt the economy over there has much to do with a YoY decrease.

Being the forever half glass full guy... if you actually calculate it out Europe is down by only 72 departing pax per day... so it's not technically "down so much." Partly due to KLM down one flight per week for capacity losses. Also potentially the direct DEL flight most certainly will have siphoned off a few travellers flying via Europe. So I wouldn't get toooooo excited about it. Overall international is up over 100,000 pax compared to Jan 2016... now THAT is impressive!

Oh absolutely the numbers are incredible and don't take my tone for that of anything other than impressed.

I didn't know KLM was flying an additional flight per week last winter, that helps bite into the difference (244 of the 504 seat decrease per week). And ya I hope DEL is pulling flyers from EUR and not just flying empty!

BTW never thought of you as the glass half full guy, that's more trofirhen, but methinks his cup overflowith...

Johnny Aussie
Mar 3, 2017, 1:37 AM
Oh absolutely the numbers are incredible and don't take my tone for that of anything other than impressed.

BTW never thought of you as the glass half full guy, that's more trofirhen, but methinks his cup overflowith...

YVR domestic > YYC domestic in January for the first time in years.

Also YVR's international growth in January is much larger than YUL's so solidifying YVR's position as Canada's second largest port of entry.

AA is also putting mainline on one of the two daily LAX flights for the month of
May. Whether that continues or not is another day's news tidbit. The morning departure will operate with a 319 instead of an E75.

trofirhen
Mar 3, 2017, 2:09 AM
Hmm I don't mean to slag your continent, but Europe has been an absolute basketcase since 07' so I highly doubt the economy over there has much to do with a YoY decrease.

True about the economy here, but it's getting even worse.
Also, what's this about me being the glass half full guy, and my cup overflowing? :???:

Reecemartin
Mar 3, 2017, 10:37 PM
I've always been curious so figured I may as well post. Are there any plans to build a significantly larger Parkade at YVR in the near future, obviously Seatac sees a lot more traffic than YVR however the difference in garage size IS NOT proportional.

trofirhen
Mar 4, 2017, 12:34 AM
I've always been curious so figured I may as well post. Are there any plans to build a significantly larger Parkade at YVR in the near future, obviously Seatac sees a lot more traffic than YVR however the difference in garage size IS NOT proportional.

In his Board of Trade speeech recently, Craig rochmond explicityly described how the current YVR parkade would be expanded on a lare scale - to almost twice what it is now, upcoming .

LeftCoaster
Mar 4, 2017, 12:40 AM
YVR domestic > YYC domestic in January for the first time in years.

Also YVR's international growth in January is much larger than YUL's so solidifying YVR's position as Canada's second largest port of entry.

AA is also putting mainline on one of the two daily LAX flights for the month of
May. Whether that continues or not is another day's news tidbit. The morning departure will operate with a 319 instead of an E75.

Crazy stat about domestic, there was a time I never thought we would catch YYC domestic again.

If YVR keeps the past 14 months of nearly 10% growth up for the year, (which of course is wildly dependent on domestic flows), that would put YVR damn near 25 million. Craig and the team better get cracking on that terminal expansion!

Denscity
Mar 4, 2017, 1:32 AM
Crazy stat about domestic, there was a time I never thought we would catch YYC domestic again.

If YVR keeps the past 14 months of nearly 10% growth up for the year, (which of course is wildly dependent on domestic flows), that would put YVR damn near 25 million. Craig and the team better get cracking on that terminal expansion!

So awesome :cheers:

sunsetmountainland
Mar 4, 2017, 3:44 AM
Competition heats up on Vancouver – Hong Kong route with arrival of Hong Kong Airlines

Low-cost carrier Hong Kong Airlines is turning up the heat on pricing after it announced daily lift-offs between Vancouver and Hong Kong with introductory fares that start as low as $750 plus taxes peak season round-trip and dropping as low as $500 plus taxes in the off-peak late summer season.

http://www.travelweek.ca/news/competition-heats-vancouver-hong-kong-route-arrival-hong-kong-airlines/

mezzanine
Mar 4, 2017, 4:26 AM
IIRC the expansion priorities (http://journalofcommerce.com/Infrastructure/News/2017/2/Vancouver-International-Airport-starts-upgrade-plan-to-address-high-demand-1021609W/) are:

"The top four projects are international terminal expansion, so four more gates for international flights, three more gates for trans border and U.S. flights, and then a new sustainable energy central heating plant, backup generators and a new parking structure," Ehrenholz said.

If you look at the BoT presentation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJtY7x9qGM8), (go to 34 min mark) it looks like the surface lot between the multistory parkade to the petrocanada will be used.

POCO
Mar 5, 2017, 7:07 AM
http://www.travelweek.ca/news/competition-heats-vancouver-hong-kong-route-arrival-hong-kong-airlines/

Great because the AC/CX "competition" on that route is laughable. I have a couple of short haul flights in Asia over the next couple of months with Hong Kong Airlines I'm interested to see how they are. I'm basically expecting Asian WestJet.

zahav
Mar 7, 2017, 8:56 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Hing Kong Airlines will switch to A350 in August (debuting in June with A330). So CI, CX, and HX will fly A350s. Good news for sure!

http://www.straight.com/life/877851/hong-kong-airlines-chooses-vancouver-launch-first-north-american-route

excel
Mar 7, 2017, 3:17 PM
Nice that's awesome.

LeftCoaster
Mar 7, 2017, 3:37 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Hing Kong Airlines will switch to A350 in August (debuting in June with A330). So CI, CX, and HX will fly A350s. Good news for sure!

http://www.straight.com/life/877851/hong-kong-airlines-chooses-vancouver-launch-first-north-american-route

It was always rumoured so good to hear it somewhat confirmed by the airline itself.

SFUVancouver
Mar 7, 2017, 5:39 PM
That's pretty cool news about a third A350 route. I wonder if YVR is going to do a "year of the A350" campaign like they did with the 787? Incidentally, calling the 787 the "Dreamliner" was a stroke of marketing genius. A350 is aggressively boring by comparison, despite being another significant advance for commercial aviation.

connect2source
Mar 7, 2017, 6:33 PM
That's pretty cool news about a third A350 route. I wonder if YVR us going to do a "year of the A350" campaign like they did with the 787. Incidentally, calling the 787 the "Dreamliner" was a stroke of marketing genius. A350 is aggressively boring by comparison, despite being another significant advance for commercial aviation.

The "Dreamliner" moniker, although genius, kind of backfired during all the battery fire issues with early 787's. Airbus' rather muted tone probably worked better IMO, as the A350 launch and initial deliveries went without a hitch. Like the A321, the A350 will be a slow-burn but will likely be one of the most successful and respected widebodies in history. It's already getting very high praise for it comfortable 9-abreast Y configurations and it's exceptionally quite ride.

sacrifice333
Mar 7, 2017, 9:35 PM
It's already getting very high praise for it comfortable 9-abreast Y configurations and it's exceptionally quite ride.

Except the move to 10-abreast has already started on these orders... :sly:

twoNeurons
Mar 7, 2017, 10:17 PM
It's a ways out, but I wonder if we'll get a HNL-YVR route on Hawaiian Airlines Metal when they get their A321neos later this year.

twoNeurons
Mar 7, 2017, 10:31 PM

Ugh 16.8" width on the A350XWB at 10-abreast. That's worse than a 9-abreast 787 which I believe is just over 17".

connect2source
Mar 7, 2017, 10:55 PM

Don't think this will get much traction, if anything it will be similar to those airlines who made A330's 9 abreast which were only a select few high-density tour and charter carriers, Transat being one of them.

Air Caraibes and one other French tour operator are the only 10 abreast operators for the A350 to date.

Canadian74
Mar 8, 2017, 12:12 AM

It's for tour operators/charter airlines. Mainline carriers will maintain 3-3-3

Gordon
Mar 8, 2017, 2:32 AM
Will Hong Kiong airlines be all economy with their A350s

POCO
Mar 8, 2017, 7:10 AM

They'll likely have a business class. They do on their A330s. Here is a link to the seat map of that:

http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/hong-kong-airlines/a330-200-36

I'm not sure if they'll introduce a new business class product with the A350.

I'm flying a few routes within China in the next few months in economy. I'll report back on impressions vs WS and AC.

LeftCoaster
Mar 8, 2017, 6:24 PM
It's a ways out, but I wonder if we'll get a HNL-YVR route on Hawaiian Airlines Metal when they get their A321neos later this year.

Would love to see Hawaiian (back?) at YVR. Not sure they will though, there's a LOT of competition on the YVR-Hawaii routes already.

LeftCoaster
Mar 8, 2017, 6:45 PM
A Turkish user on A.net has said that the CAA offered 3x weekly flights to TK for IST-YVR but Turkish rejected the deal and is holding out for 5xPW.

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1344727&p=19392247#p19392247

This makes no sense to me, I don't know why they wouldn't take 3 in the meantime and ask for 5 as the route develops.

Anyone have any further insight into this?

trofirhen
Mar 8, 2017, 8:11 PM
A Turkish user on A.net has said that the CAA offered 3x weekly flights to TK for IST-YVR but Turkish rejected the deal and is holding out for 5xPW.

This makes no sense to me, I don't know why they wouldn't take 3 in the meantime and ask for 5 as the route develops.

It's just possible ... (and don't ask me how) that Turkey's spiral down into Islamism under Recep Erdogan may figure into this....... (IST is not a secure place right now).
Other than that, maybe TK thinks that if they settle for 3x per week, they'll get stuck at 3x per week and no more..... a real mystery .... and IST would have been so great to have...

ACT7
Mar 9, 2017, 3:48 PM
It's just possible ... (and don't ask me how) that Turkey's spiral down into Islamism under Recep Erdogan may figure into this....... (IST is not a secure place right now).
Other than that, maybe TK thinks that if they settle for 3x per week, they'll get stuck at 3x per week and no more..... a real mystery .... and IST would have been so great to have...
Considering AC just scrapped IST, it's unlikely you'll see any exapansion to/from Turkey to Canada in the short-term.

Cage
Mar 9, 2017, 5:01 PM

Not likely to ever see Hawaiian to YVR. Compared to UA, AS, DL, And AA; HA is quite a bit more expensive. It's also used a lot by Hawaiians getting to mainland as opposed to the others that bring mainlanders to Hawaii for vacation. The HA yield profile suggests they would have a hard time being price competitive considering the US govt has 80-100 in taxes.

As others have stated the 10 abreast is only for charter configuration.

All transoceanic airlines have a significant portion of their revenue from front cabin services. Look at what all economy 763s is doing to WS yields out of LGW. At a minimum WS Plus needs to up the service levels to true mainline premium economy standards (biz class meal, priority services, etc.) like at mainline airlines across both the Atlantic and pacific.

TK 's big fear is that at some point the world regulatory bodies will lump them in with the ME3 as far as global carriers with 90% connection traffic. If they accepted 3/wk now, the option to expand to 5/wk might never present itself.

trofirhen
Mar 9, 2017, 7:40 PM
TK 's big fear is that at some point the world regulatory bodies will lump them in with the ME3 as far as global carriers with 90% connection traffic. If they accepted 3/wk now, the option to expand to 5/wk might never present itself.

Is that just based on their large fleet size? Or their location?? They are Star Alliance, so I wonder where the problem is. I think they should take the 3x / week to YVR, and run with it.

Cage
Mar 10, 2017, 12:38 AM
Is that just based on their large fleet size? Or their location?? They are Star Alliance, so I wonder where the problem is. I think they should take the 3x / week to YVR, and run with it.

Traffic composition and flow are the two big reasons why TK might get fitted for an ME3 black hat. Prior to the Turkish coup, they had more international destinations out of IST than LH has out of FRA.

While they are in Star, TK's computer systems and facilities at Ataturk leave a lot to be desired for full Star connectivity. They do not enter into joint ventures with alliance partners and do not take any leadership roles in alliance operations.

Prior to the Turkish coup, a case could be made for AC and TK to form a joint venture with AC doing YUL-IST, TK doing YVR-IST, and both companies doing YYZ-IST.

trofirhen
Mar 10, 2017, 12:48 AM
Traffic composition and flow are the two big reasons why TK might get fitted for an ME3 black hat. Prior to the Turkish coup, they had more international destinations out of IST than LH has out of FRA.

While they are in Star, TK's computer systems and facilities at Ataturk leave a lot to be desired for full Star connectivity. They do not enter into joint ventures with alliance partners and do not take any leadership roles in alliance operations.

Prior to the Turkish coup, a case could be made for AC and TK to form a joint venture with AC doing YUL-IST, TK doing YVR-IST, and both companies doing YYZ-IST.

Looks as if YVR can count TK out, in that case. It would have been nice to have another airline. And TK has so much metal waiting to be flown right now.
Too bad they have this "attitude" and too bad about Recep Erdogan. I guess YVR - in Europe - will have to content itself with the Big 4, (LHR, AMS, FRA, CDG) and no more.

whatnext
Mar 10, 2017, 12:54 AM

All tourism to Turkey is in the crapper thanks to the unrest and heavyhanded government crackdowns there.

Klazu
Mar 10, 2017, 1:01 AM
All tourism to Turkey is in the crapper thanks to the unrest and heavyhanded government crackdowns there.

It's no wonder since the coup is still ongoing. I don't know why would anyone want to fly to Turkey right now. Also Europe is hurting a lot in terms of tourism right now, France especially. Who would like to line up to Eiffel Tower inside bullet proof walls. Oh Europe...

LeftCoaster
Mar 10, 2017, 1:05 AM

I think Turkish is very VERY ME3 in it's composition, but it's inclusion in *A is the one reason I think they may have a shot at more slots into Canada, as it will benefit AC to an extent.

And while I guess you could argue it may hit ACs new India service, IST is actually more out of the way to DEL than going via China and rates to India are already ROCK bottom through PVG, PEK and CAN so they're not really losing much by opening up YVR to IST.

Too bad they have this "attitude" and too bad about Recep Erdogan. I guess YVR - in Europe - will have to content itself with the Big 4, (LHR, AMS, FRA, CDG) and no more.

And MUC, DUB, ZRH, GLA, MAN, LGW, KEF...

Honestly YVR is pretty well served to Europe, aside form a few vanity routes like MAD, FCO or CPH I don't know where else I would realistically expect YVR to connect to in Europe.

SFUVancouver
Mar 10, 2017, 1:14 AM
It's no wonder since the coup is still ongoing. I don't know why would anyone want to fly to Turkey right now. Also Europe is hurting a lot in terms of tourism right now, France especially. Who would like to line up to Eiffel Tower inside bullet proof walls. Oh Europe...

My SO and I spent a week in Paris last summer and decided to go to the Eiffel Tower on our last evening in the city (and the most beautiful weather of the trip). We arrived and saw large crowds around the entrance to buy tickets and assumed that everyone in the city had the same idea as us after a rainy week. After waiting a few minutes in a stationary line, seemingly without anybody being let in, I noticed that all of the stairwells down from the Eiffel Tower were now in use and there was a solid stream of people coming down. We tried to circle around to another entrance and noticed that people were being searched as they exited the fenced in tower area and the vibe was weird. We decided to nope out of there and find a restaurant on the Seine to watch the sun set. As were were walking away it seemed like every police car and van in Paris screeched up and the mood crackled with the beginnings of panic as people started to ask what was going on. This was just a couple of weeks after the Nice attack on Basile Day. In the end, we never did learn what had happened.

casper
Mar 10, 2017, 1:19 AM
I think Turkish is very VERY ME3 in it's composition, but it's inclusion in *A is the one reason I think they may have a shot at more slots into Canada, as it will benefit AC to an extent.

And while I guess you could argue it may hit ACs new India service, IST is actually more out of the way to DEL than going via China and rates to India are already ROCK bottom through PVG, PEK and CAN so they're not really losing much by opening up YVR to IST.

And MUC, DUB, ZRH, GLA, MAN, LGW, KEF...

Honestly YVR is pretty well served to Europe, aside form a few vanity routes like MAD, FCO or CPH I don't know where else I would realistically expect YVR to connect to in Europe.

I would like to suggest Lisbon. However it is a long shot. TAP is coming back to Toronto. They are Star Alliance and are not part of that anti-trust deal that has Lufthansa, Air Canada and United. Other than Turkish it is probably the only European star alliance member not in bed with Lufthansa. The primary investor was previously involved with the startup of WestJet.

If I had to guess I would give it one or two years to get Toronto established, then add Montreal and follow up with Vancouver in a few years.

POCO
Mar 10, 2017, 2:00 AM
It's really too bad about Turkey. I heard they have some amazing beaches and really incredible cultural/historical sites. FCO would be a really nice destination... maybe WS once they up their WB fleet.

trofirhen
Mar 10, 2017, 2:45 AM

I'm glad I saw Istanbul when I did, a few years back. It's such an awe-inspiring city. Those easy days are a thing of the past, now.

SpongeG
Mar 10, 2017, 6:10 AM
not YVR news but...

this was a "sponsored" thing on my facebook just now. How long will this one last?

Canada Jetlines Ltd is based in Vancouver and Southern Ontario, the airline will offer ultra low-cost flights throughout Canada, the United States, Mexico and the Caribbean. $JET

http://business.financialpost.com/business-trends/skys-the-limit-for-ultra-low-cost-canada-airline

http://wpmedia.business.financialpost.com/2017/03/unknown.jpeg?quality=60&strip=all&w=620
Jetlines has ordered new technology Boeing 737MAX aircraft, as depicted, for delivery in 2023.

Canada Jetlines will use only Boeing 737s, which reduces maintenance and pilot training costs. One seat class means being able put more passengers aboard by eliminating the roomy business or executive class section. And by going “point-to-point” with direct flights instead of the major airline’s hub-and-spoke system with connecting flights and multiple stops, the airline saves on fuel costs.

“Point to point is more efficient,” says Scott. “It uses less miles to travel, so we can lower the cost to the consumer by going one point to another. It’s better on the environment and it also saves time and losing your bag too because there’s no connection point.”

By using secondary airports in cities like Abbotsford, Hamilton and Kitchener-Waterloo, Canada Jetlines will save on airport fees and realize other cost reductions, which will be passed on to consumers with lower fares.

SFUVancouver
Mar 10, 2017, 8:04 AM
^ I will be beyond shocked if Canada JetLines is around to take delivery of so much as a single 737Max. People don't want to fly between secondary airports, or at least not enough to reliably fill 737s on point to point direct transcontinental flights. Best of luck to them, I hope that I'm wrong.

LeftCoaster
Mar 10, 2017, 9:13 PM
Well they do plan on using YVR as a hub as well as Winnipeg and Hamilton, with only Hamilton being a secondary airport.

I think there is room for a well run low cost low fare airline, it just needs to be done property and with patience and that sure wasn't newleaf.

All depends on the pockets of Jetlines and how much loss they are willing to take in the first few years to ward off attacks from Westjet.

DDP
Mar 10, 2017, 10:07 PM
I'm glad I saw Istanbul when I did, a few years back. It's such an awe-inspiring city. Those easy days are a thing of the past, now.

Istanbul may be my favourite European city I've spent some time it, went to it in 2010 and 2014. I wouldn't take a trip,there now, less about the government but because they are being hit by terrorists and some unrest.

trofirhen
Mar 13, 2017, 2:34 PM
That big, new "groundbreaking," "game changing" route you referred to back in early December 2016
I'm not trying to ferret out what it is, and I'm not asking for a hint; we already have hints.
"Ground-breaking" would mean something entirely new and different.
"Game changing" would mean (IMO) a transit point shift, addition, or subtraction.
I know this route is onstream for early 2018 - as you said it was - my only question being ...... WHEN will you be able to announce it?

nname
Mar 13, 2017, 7:13 PM
Rumor in some Chinese forums that AC had traded the LHR slot with CZ for some slot(s) in Chinese airport(s)...

YVR-SZX coming soon? Or maybe AC will finally start YYZ-CAN? Maybe second daily PVG or PEK? Words there is that AC got some SZX slots though (but the LHR slot must be worth ALOT more than that...)

LeftCoaster
Mar 13, 2017, 8:29 PM
I know this route is onstream for early 2018 - as you said it was - my only question being ...... WHEN will you be able to announce it?

It's not his to announce, the airline or authority who owns the news will announce it when they see fit.

If someone trusts you with privileged information and you go and blab about it on some internet forum chances are you wont be in the loop next time.

You're just going to have to be patient.

Rumor in some Chinese forums that AC had traded the LHR slot with CZ for some slot(s) in Chinese airport(s)...

YVR-SZX coming soon? Or maybe AC will finally start YYZ-CAN? Maybe second daily PVG or PEK? Words there is that AC got some SZX slots though (but the LHR slot must be worth ALOT more than that...)

That would explain this announcement:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/271788/china-southern-increases-london-heathrow-service-from-june-2017/

I wasn't even thinking sending it to a Chinese airline, I was so focused on North American users. Makes sense.

Hopefully they got some good slots at the big airports, SZN in particular would be great, since they would likely launch the route from YVR with YYZ to follow.

trofirhen
Mar 13, 2017, 9:19 PM
It's not his to announce, the airline or authority who owns the news will announce it when they see fit.

If someone trusts you with privileged information and you go and blab about it on some internet forum chances are you wont be in the loop next time.

You're just going to have to be patient.

Sorry, my mistake. Though I have to admit, it IS exciting, wondering what it will be.

SFUVancouver
Mar 14, 2017, 12:09 AM

An expression for that I like is: "one knows doesn't talk, and one who talks doesn't know".

SFUVancouver
Mar 15, 2017, 12:42 AM
I was reading an article about Xiamen Air in Airways magazine and there was a good quote that I thought I would share:

North America is the most lucrative region for Chinese airlines; thus, Xiamen is putting a huge emphasis on expanding its network in Canada and the US. "Vancouver was our first North America route and, after just a month of service, we were pleasantly surprised with the yields, which have been higher than we initially projected," Zhao told Airways (Zhao Dong is the airline's President and CEO). "It helps that there are about 300,000 Chinese from Fujian province in Vancouver". The airline is also monitoring the market and cites Toronto, Chicago, and San Francisco as potential destinations. For the time being, Chinese carriers have been able to avoid competing with one another on long haul routes, the Chinese government adhering to a one carrier-one route philosphy.

That's from the April 2017 issue of Airways magazine.

Klazu
Mar 15, 2017, 2:43 AM
Not YVR-related, but interesting videos on commercial aviation in general.

BzB5xtGGsTc

6Oe8T3AvydU

NlIdzF1_b5M

n1QEj09Pe6k

teriyaki
Mar 15, 2017, 4:41 AM
I was reading an article about Xiamen Air in Airways magazine and there was a good quote that I thought I would share:

That's from the April 2017 issue of Airways magazine.

Crazy that you were able to read a magazine from the future!:D

POCO
Mar 15, 2017, 6:30 AM
Thanks for posting these here Klazu. Wendover is probably one of my favorite Youtube channels; he's just as good as CGP Grey. I may go fund his patreon.

zahav
Mar 15, 2017, 8:05 AM
YVR named best airport in NA for 8th straight year. Glad the airport isn't resting on its laurels and is continuing its ambitious projects. Let's pray the government plan to sell of the airports doesn't happen!

http://www.yvr.ca/en/media/news-releases/2017/yvr-breaks-record-with-historic-skytrax-win

thebus
Mar 15, 2017, 2:28 PM
Air Canada has announced daily, summer seasonal flights from YVR to BOS starting June 23, 2017 (ending September 4th, 2017). Looks like it'll be on A319 metal.

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1116

mezzanine
Mar 15, 2017, 2:53 PM
great news! let's hope this becomes year round.

This will also feed into AC's DEL flight, if it goes year-round. any word if that will remain seasonal?

IMO YVR has a unique draw for its australia connections. It MEL comes to fruition I can see IAD being introduced.

thenoflyzone
Mar 15, 2017, 3:11 PM
great news! let's hope this becomes year round.

This will also feed into AC's DEL flight, if it goes year-round. any word if that will remain seasonal?

IMO YVR has a unique draw for its australia connections. It MEL comes to fruition I can see IAD being introduced.

BOS-YVR-DEL is one hell of a detour ! Star Alliance can better serve BOS-DEL via YYZ, EWR, FRA, MUC, etc.

YVR-BOS is a nice add, but a pretty short season, only 2.5 months.

http://www.gcmap.com/map?P=bos-del,+bos-yvr-del&MS=wls&MX=540x540&PM=

thenoflyzone
Mar 15, 2017, 3:53 PM

Doesn't make sense. In all fairness, they probably didn't launch because there is no money to be made, 3x weekly or 5 !

They are trying to tap into the YVR-DEL market. With AC now established in the market with a non stop and thus owning the higher yield passenger, plus with the recent turmoil in Turkey, the business case for such a flight just went down significantly.

Another guy on that same airliners page is saying SU and QR are also interested in YVR. Going after the same thing, DEL traffic.

mezzanine
Mar 15, 2017, 4:08 PM
BOS-YVR-DEL is one hell of a detour ! Star Alliance can better serve BOS-DEL via YYZ, EWR, FRA, MUC, etc.

lol - didn't think that one thru. :D Still, will the YVR-DEL flight still be seasonal going into 2017?

Looking at the press release AC talks up transfers to Australia. Going into the future if AC/*A builds Australia/SE asia at YVR it wwill really make the case for more NA transfer traffic.

LeftCoaster
Mar 15, 2017, 9:37 PM
YVR-BOS is a nice add, but a pretty short season, only 2.5 months.

I bet the YVR-BOS is just a bit of a dip your toes in the water this summer, if it does well they'll bring it back longer next summer, and once the C series arrives, they'll likely be able to keep it year round.

As the tech scene in both cities continues to grow I see the flight becoming more and more supportable as a business connection rather than a summer tourism/cruise ship feeder.

Either way great announcement, something we've been wondering what the hold up was for a long time.

Doesn't make sense. In all fairness, they probably didn't launch because there is no money to be made, 3x weekly or 5 !

They are trying to tap into the YVR-DEL market. With AC now established in the market with a non stop and thus owning the higher yield passenger, plus with the recent turmoil in Turkey, the business case for such a flight just went down significantly.

Another guy on that same airliners page is saying SU and QR are also interested in YVR. Going after the same thing, DEL traffic.

Ya none of that made any sense to me.

First off, like we've both said, take the 3 then push for 5 later. They only fly into YYZ 6xPW, they really NEED 5 at YVR?

Secondly, why is eveyrone trying to get into the YVR (west coast) to India business. AC and CX seem to have the premium market via direct or HKG and the other chinese airlines are just punishing the yields. I am flying YVR-DEL in May and my ticket was $640 round trip! YVR-PVG-DEL, and at 21 hours it's barely longer than a direct flight.

Who wants to fight it out when those are the rewards?

trofirhen
Mar 15, 2017, 11:43 PM
I just wish that AC would make YVR-Delhi year round. It would simplify things so much. No more ME3 snarling and frothing at the door to get in .....
Additionally, it would be great if we could completely round out our Pacific destination roster; add BKK, SIN, KUL, MEL, CTS, NGO, ITM maybe even PPT seasonal on AF ...
All that plus this big new "groundbreaking game changer" TBA later on this year ... imagine what importance YVR could assume ... and it's within their grasp, it seems.

LeftCoaster
Mar 15, 2017, 11:58 PM
I just wish that AC would make YVR-Delhi year round. It would simplify things so much. No more ME3 snarling and frothing at the door to get in .....
Additionally, it would be great if we could completely round out our Pacific destination roster; add BKK, SIN, KUL, MEL, CTS, NGO, ITM maybe even PPT seasonal on AF ...
All that plus this big new "groundbreaking game changer" TBA later on this year ... imagine what importance YVR could assume ... and it's within their grasp, it seems.

Where to even start.

YVR moving DEL to year round would not at all stop the ME3. Why in the world would it?

Secondly YVR already flies to NGO and KIN (ITM is a completely domestic airport, KIN is the international airport serving Osaka).

IMO MEL and one of the big SE Asian airports will likely happen in the next 12-18 months. Other than that I doubt CTS, KUL or PPT will happen any time soon, but I'd love to be wrong.

trofirhen
Mar 16, 2017, 12:06 AM
Where to even start.

YVR moving DEL to year round would not at all stop the ME3. Why in the world would it?

Secondly YVR already flies to NGO and KIN (ITM is a completely domestic airport, KIN is the international airport serving Osaka).

IMO MEL and one of the big SE Asian airports will likely happen in the next 12-18 months. Other than that I doubt CTS, KUL or PPT will happen any time soon, but I'd love to be wrong.

I thought the ME3 wanted in, to get a slice of the YVR - DEL action. I thought that was their prime reason for wanting to come here, (although they'll never get entry, it seems)

gillty
Mar 16, 2017, 1:34 AM
Where to even start.

Kansai International is KIX ;) KIN is Kingston, Jamaica?

I wish ITM still had international flights, much better location.

I hope Rogue's NGO route can make it to year-round status in the next few years. Nagoya is not my favourite city, but NGO seems underserved from NA.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 16, 2017, 7:04 AM
YVR-BOS is targeting the significant O&D market (summer cruise season) and Australia transfers.

Don't forget this is not a new route, it's a resumption of a former CP route.

This leaves MIA/FLL as the largest unserved direct transborder market from YVR.... technically MIA/FLL was already larger than BOS, but split between the two as such a different market really.

This latest move by Air Canada will push the daily YVR-transborder tally past 90!

The monotony of some posters can be tiresome... the future is bright for YVR... do some yoga and all will be fine.

SFUVancouver
Mar 16, 2017, 6:33 PM
Excited to see the (resumption of) service between YVR and Boston. The cruise ship demand is significant and just goes to show the ripple effect of each new (or renewed) ship that is based in Vancouver. For whatever reason, seasonal service doesn't get the respect that I think it deserves. Matching supply to demand is airline business 101 and seasonality is inherent to most segments of tourism. Boston is inherently different than seasonal sun destinations and, in time, there will absolutely be enough traffic to sustain year-round, and even daily service, between YVR and BOS.

I think that BOS will go year-round when the C-Series and 737Max aircraft start entering the Air Canada fleet, which will allow them to downgauge and upgauge, respectively, the aircraft to suit the season. Entry into service of those aircraft will also likely tip the balance in favour of MIA and/or FLL being added to the network. Call me overly confident in the power of fleet renewal, but those are going to be game-changing aircraft for Air Canada's domestic transborder business, particularly the C-Series.

The Australian connecting traffic is interesting and not something that would have come to mind for me. I would have thought that BOS passengers would more likely fly through LAX or SFO to Australia and that links to Asia would be the next highest driver after tourism. I guess the direct link to Brisbane might be a plus in favour of flying BOS-YVR(-BNE). That would save a step from BOS-LAX/SFO-SYD-BNE.

trofirhen
Mar 16, 2017, 8:22 PM
Excited to see the (resumption of) service between YVR and Boston. .............

The Australian connecting traffic is interesting and not something that would have come to mind for me. I would have thought that BOS passengers would more likely fly through LAX or SFO to Australia and that links to Asia would be the next highest driver after tourism. I guess the direct link to Brisbane might be a plus in favour of flying BOS-YVR(-BNE). That would save a step from BOS-LAX/SFO-SYD-BNE.

BOS>YVR>BNE is only 100 miles longer than BOS>SFO>BNE. Surprisingly, going through LAX is 4 miles longer than through SFO. Curvature of the Earth, quoi?

LeftCoaster
Mar 16, 2017, 8:31 PM
BOS BNE: - 9,766 mi

BOS LAX: 2,611 mi
LAX BNE: 7,161 mi
TOTAL: 9,773 mi (+0.1%)

BOS SFO: 2,704 mi
SFO BNE: 7,063 mi
TOTAL: 9,767 mi (+0.0%)

BOS YVR: 2,514 mi
YVR BNE: 7,351 mi
TOTAL: 9,864 mi (+1.0%)

They are all decent options, and it's a similar calculation to SYD or eventually MEL :tup:

Ultimately neither YVR nor BOS are great transit points for each other except in very specific circumstances like BOS-Australia. I think that the population and economic growth in both cities will warrant a year round O&D service soon and this AC service is a tester.

LeftCoaster
Mar 16, 2017, 8:55 PM
This latest move by Air Canada will push the daily YVR-transborder tally past 90!

This one is a bit tougher to keep track of vs the widebody chart that is more stable, but I think it's pretty accurate for the most part as I'm showing 91 daily transborder departures.

Also note the two missing hubs I recently got to strike out with Delta's upping of ATL to 6x PW and the new BOS service. Those were satisfying!

http://i.imgur.com/0U5Jpkp.png

Johnny Aussie
Mar 16, 2017, 11:02 PM
^ agree... it changes almost every week!

However some changes to note.

UA frequencies you've used are last summer's and equipment has changed greatly:
EWR is mainly 739 (daily only not 9 weekly)
SFO 3 of 5 daily now 739 (5 daily only not 36 weekly)
IAH now 73G and 319/320
DEN 320 and 738 for mainline
ORD 4 daily only (not 29 weekly) equipment varies greatly

AC:
ORD now a 319
LAX and SFO also see some 319 action
Missing HNL and OGG

AA:
PHX only 2 daily both 738s
LAX both E75s. The 319 is May only

DL:
SEA a mixed bag but mainly CR7s
SLC one of two daily now a mainline 319 the other is a CR7

WS:
SFO now two daily
LAS is 16 weekly
LAX is 20 weekly
Missing HNL and OGG

AS:
SEA is 5 daily - 2 mainline 739 and 3 Horizon DH4

Missing hubs:
UA does fly to IAD if only 1 PW
DL does fly to DTW even if just 2 PW and CVG being de-hubbed

trofirhen
Mar 16, 2017, 11:26 PM
I wonder what all this would have been like back in, say 1997 .....
What did YVR have then that was transborder nonstop? Anybody know?
What has happened over the last 20 years ...:rolleyes:

LeftCoaster
Mar 17, 2017, 12:58 AM
Thanks Johnny, I knew most of it was S16, but I hadn't seen any updates on service/equipment so I figured it hadn't changed.

Looks like I have some work to do on the plane!

Johnny Aussie
Mar 17, 2017, 1:19 AM
Thanks Johnny, I knew most of it was S16, but I hadn't seen any updates on service/equipment so I figured it hadn't changed.

Looks like I have some work to do on the plane!

Sure! Also EWR is only a 788 for the summer and SFO only 4 daily on AC. In any event good effort.

Some interesting summer 2017 facts...

AC will have 15 daily flights to California this summer and a total of 35 daily transborder ops.
Up to 6 flights per day to the US eastern seaboard.
DL really closing the gap with UA to be the #1 US Carrier for frequencies per week.
AS down to only 7 flights per day.

YVR total transborder should reach over 5.8 million in 2017.... that's just huge.

LeftCoaster
Mar 17, 2017, 6:27 PM
Missing hubs:
UA does fly to IAD if only 1 PW
DL does fly to DTW even if just 2 PW and CVG being de-hubbed

OK so I've updated my list per your changes. Transborder growth is MUCH larger than I thought it was. Compared to my list last year there is a 11.22% Growth in capacity in S17. about 62% of that is AC/UA, 22.7% is WJ/AS and the remaining 17% is DL and a 2% drop by AA.

When did WestJet bump YVR transborder up? I didn't see anything on that. Also, I had AA as a 319 past May since word on A.Net was that it may stay that way they just hadn't loaded the schedules yet. I've revised it back down but hopefully that sticks.

Finally I don't think a 1 or 2 per week service summer only really counts as connecting to a hub. Even the summer service to BOS and ATL only kinda counts which is why they're still on the list, just struck out. When we get year round daily or 5-6xPW service then I'll take em off the list entirely.

Anyway here's the updated sheet:

http://i.imgur.com/d2kZZ1U.png

osirisboy
Mar 17, 2017, 6:40 PM
United flies to Washington. So shouldn't that be taken off of the missing hubs list ?

Edit. I just saw your answer in your post. Sorry. is Washington seasonal?

LeftCoaster
Mar 17, 2017, 6:46 PM
United flies to Washington. So shouldn't that be taken off of the missing hubs list ?

Edit. I just saw your answer in your post. Sorry. is Washington seasonal?

No prob, it's a fair comment and really just my opinion, but I really don't think 1x PW summer seasonal really helps anyone but a few cruise ship passengers and people whose schedule magically lines up with the one or two flights per week.

I really do think the C series will open up a lot of these hubs for YVR, since both Delta and AC are getting the plane I would imagine it would fit well for DC, Boston, Detroit and a few others like Miami and making Atlanta year round.

LeftCoaster
Mar 20, 2017, 11:46 PM
DL really closing the gap with UA to be the #1 US Carrier for frequencies per week.

What's really crazy is Delta has more seats per week peak summer to the continental US than Westjet.

DL: 10,770 Vs WS: 10,416.

LeftCoaster
Mar 21, 2017, 12:12 AM
Also, looks like Korean will be putting the 787-900 in the YVR route in place of the 777-200, at least for part of spring 2018. Weird dates to be announcing now so I'm guessing this is the start of a permanent a change from the 772 to 789 for winter flying.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/271898/korean-air-s18-long-haul-service-updates-as-of-19mar17/

Korean's dreamliner seems to be better fitted out for flying to YVR, with more seats overall, still 3 class, but less premium heavy. Seems to be an optimal fit out for the type of passenger mix flying Seoul-Vancouver.

jacobparry
Mar 21, 2017, 1:43 AM
Fun thread thought experiment: what's the longest flight in the world by change in latitude? Which flight has the greatest distance between it's northern and southern points?

I thought Vancouver-Sydney might be the winner (49.28N to 33.86S = 83.14), but it looks like Amsterdam to Cape Town has a greater change in latitude (33.92+52.37 = 86.29). My educated guess is that Vancouver-Sydney is the seventh or eighth longest (after various combos of service from Frankfurt/Amsterdam/London/Paris to Buenos Aires/Cape Town)

That said, if Vancouver to Melbourne service were to launch, it would be the longest flight in the world by change in latitude (49.28N to 37.81S = 87.09), and would probably hold the title until service between Europe-Melbourne.

teriyaki
Mar 21, 2017, 5:38 AM
Also, looks like Korean will be putting the 787-900 in the YVR route in place of the 777-200, at least for part of spring 2018. Weird dates to be announcing now so I'm guessing this is the start of a permanent a change from the 772 to 789 for winter flying.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/271898/korean-air-s18-long-haul-service-updates-as-of-19mar17/

Korean's dreamliner seems to be better fitted out for flying to YVR, with more seats overall, still 3 class, but less premium heavy. Seems to be an optimal fit out for the type of passenger mix flying Seoul-Vancouver.

Great. All KE planes more or less have the same cabin equipment, so from a comfort standpoint the 787 will actually be more comfortable ride than the 777. We're going to be a 787/A350 hub, and I really like that from a passenger experience standpoint.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 25, 2017, 3:15 AM
Air China now showing double daily again for the period late June right through the end of July.

CA997/998 showing daily 773.

How this is possible I have no idea based on the current allotment. I will enquire.

libtard
Mar 25, 2017, 9:18 AM
YVR has non stop flights to DTW?

casper
Mar 25, 2017, 12:05 PM
YVR has non stop flights to DTW?

Seasonal service to a Delta airlines hub. You need to get those cruise passengers in and out.

libtard
Mar 25, 2017, 11:59 PM
Seasonal service to a Delta airlines hub. You need to get those cruise passengers in and out.

Interesting. When do these YVR->DTW flights start/end?

Lancaster
Mar 28, 2017, 5:43 AM
YVR is set to welcome the first A350 to Canada tomorrow. It's cool that they had the first A380 to North America, and now the first A350 for Canada.

https://s22.postimg.org/ys26o6f41/Screen_Shot_2017-03-27_at_10.42.05_PM.png

zahav
Mar 28, 2017, 7:00 AM
Yes they are setting up a big spotter event at the south runway. It'll be an early arrival, can't wait to see the pics!

What do you mean first A380? I believe Iqaluit was the first NA stop, and it was for cold weather testing. YVR def was not the first for scheduled service, But we are the first A350 scheduled service

teriyaki
Mar 28, 2017, 2:51 PM
Yes they are setting up a big spotter event at the south runway. It'll be an early arrival, can't wait to see the pics!

What do you mean first A380? I believe Iqaluit was the first NA stop, and it was for cold weather testing. YVR def was not the first for scheduled service, But we are the first A350 scheduled service

Too bad it landed on the north runway, and over the ocean approach as well then.

Canadian74
Mar 28, 2017, 7:03 PM
YVR is set to welcome the first A350 to Canada tomorrow. It's cool that they had the first A380 to North America, and now the first A350 for Canada.

https://s22.postimg.org/ys26o6f41/Screen_Shot_2017-03-27_at_10.42.05_PM.png

YVR didn't get the first A380 for North America or Canada even

Air France used to operate the A380 to YUL and Emirates has been operating the A380 to YYZ for many years

You can say it is the first scheduled British A380 to Canada

mezzanine
Mar 28, 2017, 8:10 PM

Air France used to operate the A380 to YUL and Emirates has been operating the A380 to YYZ for many years

the A380 first landed in Canada at Iqaluit in feb 2006 for cold weather testing. It landed in YVR in November 2006 as part of a world promotional tour.

https://i.cbc.ca/1.2261075.1383280243!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_300/airbus-380ground061129.jpg
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/world-s-largest-airliner-visits-vancouver-1.598479

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=15458

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=15458

scheduled seasonal service with BA's A380 only started recently.

mezzanine
Mar 28, 2017, 8:16 PM
lots of pics on YVR's twitter: (https://twitter.com/yvrairport?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor)

gotta lead with the cake pic

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8AyWghV4AAbJEo.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8B08w8V4AAoAv_.jpg:large

LeftCoaster
Mar 28, 2017, 9:01 PM
^ My God it's beautiful!

Looks unreal even in that awful weather.

I believe the distinction for YVRs A380 service was that it was the first scheduled DAILY service by an A380.

YYZ sees the Emirates A380 but it's 3x PW and IIRC Air France's A380 was not daily either but supplemented by 777s.

LeftCoaster
Mar 28, 2017, 9:02 PM
Air China now showing double daily again for the period late June right through the end of July.

How this is possible I have no idea based on the current allotment. I will enquire.

Very interesting, could mean a cut to YUL or their cargo service to YEG?

Let us know when you do, would be a big boost in capacity since they are now running 777 HDs.

SFUVancouver
Mar 29, 2017, 12:29 AM
What a great looking airplane. I saw a Singapore Airlines A350 (http://i.imgur.com/K2djJhW.jpg) in Schiphol last summer, one of the first 7 or 9 in operation. It looked just awesome in person.

Legacy carrier liveries like Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines really suit the A350.

twoNeurons
Mar 29, 2017, 9:00 PM
I noticed New Leaf is calling YXX GVA ( Greater Vancouver ) in their booking engine. While this is for obvious reasons (BLI considers itself a quasi-Vancouver airport as well), I wonder if it's time for Vancouver to apply for a metropolitan Airport code.

YTO refers to the Toronto Area airports including YHM.
YMQ refers to Montreal's airports, including Mirabel
YEA refers to the Edmonton Area, despite there only being one airport now for Edmonton.

YVX could work ( YVV and YGV are taken )

Is there a reason not to reserve a slot for Greater Vancouver Airports? YVR and YXX are a good fit. There's possibility of YDT being a smaller domestic airport in the future...

YXX is 60-70km away from Vancouver... which is a bit closer than NRT is to Tokyo (65–75km). Closer than Hamilton is (80–90km) to Toronto. It's about the same distance as Stansted is to London and serves a similar purpose. For North Eastern Londoners and Essex, Stansted is a smaller preferable airport. Not to mention places like ICN and KIX, which are 50–55km away from their centres of Seoul and Osaka.

The point I'm making is that YXX seems to belong under a Vancouver umbrella, especially considering that 90% of future population is migrating east ( due to the natural barriers of the Ocean and Mountains )

nname
Mar 29, 2017, 9:57 PM
I noticed New Leaf is calling YXX GVA ( Greater Vancouver ) in their booking engine. While this is for obvious reasons (BLI considers itself a quasi-Vancouver airport as well), I wonder if it's time for Vancouver to apply for a metropolitan Airport code.

YTO refers to the Toronto Area airports including YHM.
YMQ refers to Montreal's airports, including Mirabel
YEA refers to the Edmonton Area, despite there only being one airport now for Edmonton.

YVX could work ( YVV and YGV are taken )

Is there a reason not to reserve a slot for Greater Vancouver Airports? YVR and YXX are a good fit. There's possibility of YDT being a smaller domestic airport in the future...

YXX is 60-70km away from Vancouver... which is a bit closer than NRT is to Tokyo (65–75km). Closer than Hamilton is (80–90km) to Toronto. It's about the same distance as Stansted is to London and serves a similar purpose. For North Eastern Londoners and Essex, Stansted is a smaller preferable airport. Not to mention places like ICN and KIX, which are 50–55km away from their centres of Seoul and Osaka.

The point I'm making is that YXX seems to belong under a Vancouver umbrella, especially considering that 90% of future population is migrating east ( due to the natural barriers of the Ocean and Mountains )

YYV? :D

And there're also CXH, YLY, YPK.. and maybe YCW, YHE

I think YDT and YPK have schedule service now, and YLY had scheduled service until a few years ago...

twoNeurons
Mar 29, 2017, 11:22 PM
YYV? :D

And there're also CXH, YLY, YPK.. and maybe YCW, YHE

I think YDT and YPK have schedule service now, and YLY had scheduled service until a few years ago...

I can imagine someone booking a flight with a heavy accent and purchasing a flight to YYZ instead of YYV... I suppose that's one advantage of pronouncing it zed instead of zee ( my preferred pronunciation ).

SpongeG
Mar 31, 2017, 7:26 PM
Vancouver International opens four domestic retail stores

Posted by: David Tran in Airports, Fashion & Leathergoods, Gifts & Electronics, Latest News, North America, Product News, Regions, Retail News March 2, 2017

Vancouver International airport (YVR) opened four retail stores in the domestic post-security terminal in partnership with Paradies Lagardère.

http://djx5h8pabpett.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/03/02181400/Lole_Vancouver.jpg

Brands Lolë, Brooks Brothers, Coastal News and Sea to Sky Marketplace will launch individual retail spaces at the airport, enhancing the airport’s commercial of more than 170 shops, services and restaurants.

“YVR is always looking to provide exceptional customer experiences and a big part of that is offering an engaging and diverse retail options,” said Vancouver Airport Authority vice president, Commercial Development Scott Norris. “We know that for many passengers their trip starts right here at YVR and we hope these new offerings will give them a reason to arrive earlier and get their shopping done prior to flying out.”

http://www.dfnionline.com/latest-news/retail/vancouver-opens-four-domestic-retail-stores-02-03-2017/

SpongeG
Mar 31, 2017, 7:42 PM
YVR planning ‘next wave’ terminal transformations

By LUKE BARRAS-HILL | Wednesday, 15 March 2017 10:34

VancouverCanada’s Vancouver International Airport (YVR) is planning a series of retail transformations at its US and International terminals in response to heightened passenger demand for affordable luxury goods.

In an exclusive interview with TRBusiness, available in the March print issue, Susan Stiene, Director of Commercial Services, revealed the airport is planning to convert two stores in the US departures terminal – one duty free and one duty paid – into a walkthrough duty free store in the central gate area featuring shop-in-shops geared towards medium-priced goods.

The new units are scheduled to open around Q1 2018.

Increased spending across all nationality segments resulted in ATV rising double-digit, helped on by the addition of new boutiques in the international area such as Gucci, Bulgari, Burberry and Bottega Veneta, located in a central area past World Duty Free Group’s main walkthrough store.

The Dufry-owned retailer operates three stores at the International Terminal after security on level 3 and at gates C and D, with another unit after security at the US Terminal.

Alongside the aforementioned luxury brands operating at the International Terminal are units from Brooks Brothers, Burberry, Cartier, Collection, Go Travel, Hermès, Omega, Salvatore Ferragamo and Hudson News. Meanwhile, Bench and Desigual feature among a range of other stores at the US Terminal.

LeftCoaster
Mar 31, 2017, 9:51 PM
X-post from the Canada section, YVR looking like a real AC hub here:
Good pic showing the old AC livery and new AC livery side by side lined up down C-Pier on a rainy Vancouver afternoon:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8H0VoRU0AIlc0E.jpg
https://twitter.com/yvrairport?lang=en

thenoflyzone
Apr 1, 2017, 11:48 AM

Their online schedules don't reflect that as of yet.

https://www.airchina.ca/CA/GB/info/flight-time/

They are showing CA997/998 3 weekly til mid july, 4 weekly for one week and then going daily only at the end of july for a week or two. Back down to 3 weekly soon after.

CA879/880 to YUL goes 5 weekly end of this month. (a few weeks later than planned), but seems like the plan for 6x weekly service is shelved. We were supposed to get the 789 as of July, but that plan is shelved for now, so still showing 773. (20 more seats vs 789, and F class), so overall, still an increase in frequency and seats compared to last summer.

Have no clue what is going on with their cargo service to YEG. Their cargo timetable is out of date.

X-post from the Canada section, YVR looking like a real AC hub here:

nice pic, but pretty useless ! ;)

SpongeG
Apr 2, 2017, 6:54 AM
i'm getting emirates ads showing up in here...

oh right i forgot what was i going to post. I flew out today, got to the airport just before 8, it was pretty busy, Air Canada - the C Gates security line up was really long, I was glad for once to fly westjet lol, there was almost no lines to get through security.

I wonder if the luggage chaos was why the lineup was so long.

YVR baggage system glitch causes delays, lineups

Airport says issue has now been resolved

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4051377.1491067388!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/yvr-delay.jpg
Passengers faced long lines at Vancouver International Airport this morning. The airport said a technical issue with the baggage system was to blame. (Tina Lovgreen)

A technical issue affecting the baggage system caused delays and lineups at the Vancouver International Airport this morning.

YVR spokesperson Terry Chou said passengers were advised this morning to check their flights on their airline's websites before heading to the airport.

By late morning, the airport tweeted that the baggage issue was resolved. The delays affected U.S.-bound flights.

"Sorry for the inconvenience today," the YVR tweet said.

"Big thanks to passengers for their patience and employees who worked to fix."

Passengers were stuck in long, snaking queues as they waited to drop off their bags, prompting many to vent their frustration on social media.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/yvr-baggage-system-glitch-causes-delays-lineups-1.4051376

Johnny Aussie
Apr 4, 2017, 11:11 AM
For peak summer 2017 DL is adding a daily mainline 319 replacing one of the two daily E75s (Compass).

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/272166/delta-removes-planned-717-los-angeles-vancouver-s17-service/

With that, the once weekly 717 planned has been scrapped.

DL continuing with a daily 319 to SLC for the summer scheds as well.

And it looks like AA is extending the daily 319 to LAX for the summer too.