PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133

thenoflyzone
Apr 4, 2017, 2:17 PM
Air China now showing double daily again for the period late June right through the end of July.

CA997/998 showing daily 773.

How this is possible I have no idea based on the current allotment. I will enquire.

YEG hasn't seen Air China cargo since March 25. Maybe it has something to do with that.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CAO1067

https://www.flightradar24.com/flight/ca1067

zahav
Apr 5, 2017, 7:16 AM
For peak summer 2017 DL is adding a daily mainline 319 replacing one of the two daily E75s (Compass).

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/272166/delta-removes-planned-717-los-angeles-vancouver-s17-service/

With that, the once weekly 717 planned has been scrapped.

DL continuing with a daily 319 to SLC for the summer scheds as well.

And it looks like AA is extending the daily 319 to LAX for the summer too.

Good news for sure, always a positive sign when carriers increase mainline service, shows there's strong demand. The airlineroute.net title is super misleading though, it should read "Delta shifting 1 of two daily flights to mainline" , the loss of the Saturday 717 is minor compared to the mainline change LOL!

Also, UA adding an evening departure to EWR on Sunday nights. Crappy arrival time in NYC though, 4:40am. But hey, adding flights is great regardless :)

PS I am working on a calculating the proportion of flights operated by mainline vs. regional carriers for YVR, YYC, YUL, and eventually YYZ. I think YVR has a much larger % than the others, for a variety of factors. I will post when I've done the breakdown

mezzanine
Apr 6, 2017, 2:51 AM
Hmm. Norwegian has announced year-round 4x/wk service from LGW to SEA.

This is up against British airways and Virgin out of SEA.

Is this good or bad for YVR?

Beginning this September, Norwegian will offer new, nonstop service from both Denver (DEN) and Seattle (SEA) to London’s Gatwick Airport (LGW). .... The other new route, SEA-LGW, will launch on September 17 with year-round 4x weekly service on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/norwegian-west-coast-199-one-way/

casper
Apr 6, 2017, 2:57 AM
Hmm. Norwegian has announced year-round 4x/wk service from LGW to SEA.

This is up against British airways and Virgin out of SEA.

Is this good or bad for YVR?

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/norwegian-west-coast-199-one-way/

I don't think it impacts YVR. SEA has no other LGW service. At YVR the LGW market is served by Air Canada Rouge, WestJet and AirTransat.

stiffdeadman
Apr 6, 2017, 3:08 AM
I don't think it impacts YVR. SEA has no other LGW service. At YVR the LGW market is served by Air Canada Rouge, WestJet and AirTransat.

the price point may impact YVR. save me a few hundred bucks, i have no problem driving to seattle. only 2 hours away. yvr one hour away.

zahav
Apr 6, 2017, 7:14 AM
YVR stats posted for Feb. There was one less day (last year was a leap year), but results are OK. Domestic up 1.2%, Transborder up 2.4%, Asia Pacific up 10.8%, Europe down 7.9% (wtf Europe!), Misc. up 19.8%. Overall up 3.4%. Respectable, good growth in several sectors. The last year has been blockbuster growth and with the new services coming online in the next few months, should help, but still decent for a dead month with one less day.

In other news, Cathay Pacific announced a host of new recirpocal codeshare routes with Lufthansa Group (incl. Swiss & Austrian). This is just a couple months after their Air Canada partnership. If they weren't a major part of OneWorld, one might think this draw to * Alliance was a sign of something ;) And speaking of partnerships, WS has strengthened theirs with Delta. CX no longer will codeshare with WS either. I really wonder if WS will join Skyteam eventually...

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1221

nname
Apr 6, 2017, 7:52 AM
the price point may impact YVR. save me a few hundred bucks, i have no problem driving to seattle. only 2 hours away. yvr one hour away.

Well, the price is $199 Euro before tax for the cheapest flight... After tax and currency exchange, it comes out to be $328 CAD.

However, if you want to check a luggage, then the price becomes $428 CAD... you save a grand total of $27 compared to the same day Transat departure from YVR....

Unless you don't bring a luggage, I don't think this hassle worth it to save maybe $50 on air fare...

casper
Apr 6, 2017, 1:16 PM
Well, the price is $199 Euro before tax for the cheapest flight... After tax and currency exchange, it comes out to be $328 CAD.

However, if you want to check a luggage, then the price becomes $428 CAD... you save a grand total of $27 compared to the same day Transat departure from YVR....

Unless you don't bring a luggage, I don't think this hassle worth it to save maybe $50 on air fare...

That pricing is not to far off what Air Transat discount pricing is at.

mezzanine
Apr 6, 2017, 3:22 PM
YVR stats posted for Feb. There was one less day (last year was a leap year), but results are OK. Domestic up 1.2%, Transborder up 2.4%, Asia Pacific up 10.8%, Europe down 7.9% (wtf Europe!),

IMO i think a lot of the missing europe traffic is india traffic going via AC's direct flights or via asia.

So far, the non-stop DEL flight looks like it will not be running in the summer. (doesn't appear on AC's booking site). Time is getting tight if there will be an announcement on whether it will continue year round.

Alexcaban
Apr 6, 2017, 3:36 PM
^ My God it's beautiful!

Looks unreal even in that awful weather.

I believe the distinction for YVRs A380 service was that it was the first scheduled DAILY service by an A380.

YYZ sees the Emirates A380 but it's 3x PW and IIRC Air France's A380 was not daily either but supplemented by 777s.

Air France was using the A380 daily right from the start, it was really down to the last month of service that is was a 77W/A388 mix.

trofirhen
Apr 6, 2017, 4:01 PM
So far, the non-stop DEL flight looks like it will not be running in the summer. (doesn't appear on AC's booking site). Time is getting tight if there will be an announcement on whether it will continue year round.

geez, I hope it goes year-round, if not this year, then next. That would be such an enormous plus++ for YVR

LeftCoaster
Apr 6, 2017, 11:09 PM
nice pic, but pretty useless ! ;)

Why I oughta :madwife:

And it looks like AA is extending the daily 319 to LAX for the summer too.

Knew it! (I still haven't removed it from my charts :))

Air France was using the A380 daily right from the start, it was really down to the last month of service that is was a 77W/A388 mix.

Fair enough, i guess it was just the only daily A380 at the time it was announced then because the AF A380 service had already stopped at that point.

Alexcaban
Apr 6, 2017, 11:22 PM
Fair enough, i guess it was just the only daily A380 at the time it was announced then because the AF A380 service had already stopped at that point.

Was nice while it lasted. Maybe when AF reconfigures their A388 without F we'll see it back in service at YUL.

Until then I don't see any airline using the A388 to YUL in the near future.

Perhaps if Emirates were grated more frequencies into Canada both YVR and YUL would be great A380 additions

LeftCoaster
Apr 6, 2017, 11:23 PM
I'm sure they would, but I don't see that happening any time soon. And that's a good thing.

trofirhen
Apr 7, 2017, 12:45 AM
Just seeing Norwegian year-round out of Seattle makes me envious. That's an airline I woud love to have seen out of YVR. Win some, lose some ....

sacrifice333
Apr 7, 2017, 2:09 AM
Some hardcore AvGeeks on here that'll be able to rattle off a response to the following two-part question quicker than I can say, "Google it!":

YVR's passenger levels and Vancouver's distance from many significant (to Vancouver) destinations seems to be "purpose-built" for Boeing's 787 and Airbus' A350. With that in mind, what YVR routes have specifically been opened up by a) the Boeing 787? and b) will be by the A350?

Johnny Aussie
Apr 7, 2017, 2:16 AM
IMO i think a lot of the missing europe traffic is india traffic going via AC's direct flights or via asia.

One needs to understand the YVR-DEL market. It is extremely seasonal winter vs summer. The complete opposite of YVR-Europe and YVR cruise season.

Families visit India mainly Autumn through early Spring.

casper
Apr 7, 2017, 3:29 AM
One needs to understand the YVR-DEL market. It is extremely seasonal winter vs summer. The complete opposite of YVR-Europe and YVR cruise season.

Families visit India mainly Autumn through early Spring.

Perfect for an airline like Air Canada. When traffic to Europe dies off for the 787 aircraft they can shift to India.

LeftCoaster
Apr 7, 2017, 9:01 PM
I'm hoping they can go daily through the winter and then perhaps 3x summer.

I wonder how many US travelers they are pulling through YVR.

sacrifice333
Apr 8, 2017, 6:01 PM
My wife was on this morning's A350 to HKG. Follow along if you have any interest in the new bird. I believe she's also going to be visiting Cathay's HQ.

FB (https://www.facebook.com/tripstyler).
IG (https://www.instagram.com/tripstyler/).
Web (http://www.tripstyler.com/trip-styler/).

Hot Rod
Apr 9, 2017, 7:09 AM
:P she's cute!

sacrifice333
Apr 9, 2017, 2:55 PM
:P she's cute!

Indeed the A350 is quite the looker!

rxp
Apr 10, 2017, 7:38 PM
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/03/29/pearson-airport-hopes-ownership-change-can-fuel-regional-transit.html

interesting article... shows the different approach between yvr and yyz....

Reecemartin
Apr 10, 2017, 8:11 PM
It's unfortunate the YVRs location means making it regional transit hub doesnt make a ton of sense. Bridgeport has actually taken on that role.

officedweller
Apr 10, 2017, 9:41 PM
The thing I find odd about YYZ's plans for a transportation hub is that it is trying to be all things to all travellers
- i.e. they are planning on mixing daily commuters with long haul travellers in the same hub.

I suppose that already happens at Union Station with limited VIA rail service, but I can't really imagine a huge volume of travellers with baggage trying to mix with a huge volume of daily commuters from GO trains and LRTs.

Reecemartin
Apr 11, 2017, 1:18 AM
The thing I find odd about YYZ's plans for a transportation hub is that it is trying to be all things to all travellers
- i.e. they are planning on mixing daily commuters with long haul travellers in the same hub.

I suppose that already happens at Union Station with limited VIA rail service, but I can't really imagine a huge volume of travellers with baggage trying to mix with a huge volume of daily commuters from GO trains and LRTs.

Happens at Paris CDG with TGV and RER service. I can't wait until Vancouver gets the Hastings Line and Waterfront becomes a hub for 3 metro lines, Seabus, and commuter rail which hopefully gets expanded.

Canadian74
Apr 11, 2017, 3:52 AM
I wonder if CX would want to upgrade to 21 weekly from the current 17
Somethibg like 14x 359, 7x 77W or even 21x 359

spaceprobe
Apr 11, 2017, 5:06 AM
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/03/29/pearson-airport-hopes-ownership-change-can-fuel-regional-transit.html

interesting article... shows the different approach between yvr and yyz....

? how does becoming a regional transit hub equate to becoming a "mega hub" airport? Why would funneling local transit riders cause an increase in airport passengers?

trofirhen
Apr 11, 2017, 5:56 AM
I think that in order for an airport to become a major transit hub, it needs to be really large and important, diffusing and attracting passengers from / to, worldwide.
CGD is such an airport, as is FRA. Pearson is becoming a large mega-hub airport. YVR, although growing is not really a big enough air hub to warrant making into a central transit hub yet, IMO. But perhaps, if HSR to the USA is ever implemented, a branch out to the airport might make sense.

casper
Apr 11, 2017, 6:00 AM
Happens at Paris CDG with TGV and RER service. I can't wait until Vancouver gets the Hastings Line and Waterfront becomes a hub for 3 metro lines, Seabus, and commuter rail which hopefully gets expanded.

What is missing at Waterfront is high speed catamaran service to Victoria and Nanaimo.

casper
Apr 11, 2017, 6:02 AM
? how does becoming a regional transit hub equate to becoming a "mega hub" airport? Why would funneling local transit riders cause an increase in airport passengers?

That only happens if it is involves killing off service at airports such as London Onatario, Hamilton, etc.

POCO
Apr 11, 2017, 6:29 AM
What is missing at Waterfront is high speed catamaran service to Victoria and Nanaimo.

Totally agree. No reason it couldn't run hourly with a few extra runs around rush hour. Look at Hong Kong and Macau they have high speed catamarans and jetfoils going several times per hour. A less frequent similar speed service would probably get you from downtown to downtown in about 90mins. I would totally live on the island or sunshine coast and commute to work by ferry.

jlousa
Apr 12, 2017, 5:23 AM
Pretty sure the population of HK and Macau are a bit higher then Vancouver and Victoria. If Victoria was even as big as Vancouver is then we'd have that service today, the numbers just aren't there at this point in time and hence why the ventures that have tried have all failed at the first hint of trouble. We'll probably see another attempt soon and I reckon within another decade or so one might actually be viable.

POCO
Apr 12, 2017, 9:02 AM
Pretty sure the population of HK and Macau are a bit higher then Vancouver and Victoria. If Victoria was even as big as Vancouver is then we'd have that service today, the numbers just aren't there at this point in time and hence why the ventures that have tried have all failed at the first hint of trouble. We'll probably see another attempt soon and I reckon within another decade or so one might actually be viable.

I know there's probably about twice as many people in the pearl delta region as all of Canada. That's why I said with a lower frequency. You could have a ferry leave every 2 hours or something. Maybe alternate sailings between victoria, surrey by the sea and sunshine coast.

I suspect the HK macau ferrys are about to be a thing of the past anyway. They are building the Hong Kong Macau Zuhai bridge. It's a 50km link costing about 10 billion USD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong%E2%80%93Zhuhai%E2%80%93Macau_Bridge

Sorry this is the wrong forum for this, I'll continue this elsewhere.

casper
Apr 13, 2017, 1:09 PM

The service is far more viable to Nanaimo. The problem with Victoria-Vancouver downtown to downtown service is geography. It basically becomes a 2.5 hour trip. Going to the airport would actually be more faster.

gordoninvancouver
Apr 13, 2017, 5:18 PM

If the Canada line had a spur from Bridgeport out to the end of the causeway at the mouth of the Fraser a passenger ferry berth could be built there. Then both Victoria and Nanaimo could have Cat ferry connections to Canada Line. Ferry travel time would be cut hugely compared to a downtown terminal, this would avoid a lot of fuel cost. This would benefit YVR as well because it would be better connected to the Island.

Reecemartin
Apr 13, 2017, 9:48 PM
If the Canada line had a spur from Bridgeport out to the end of the causeway at the mouth of the Fraser a passenger ferry berth could be built there. Then both Victoria and Nanaimo could have Cat ferry connections to Canada Line. Ferry travel time would be cut hugely compared to a downtown terminal, this would avoid a lot of fuel cost. This would benefit YVR as well because it would be better connected to the Island.

The cost of extending the Canada Line like this is incredibly difficult to justify, this belongs in the transit fantasy thread.

casper
Apr 20, 2017, 8:41 AM
The cost of extending the Canada Line like this is incredibly difficult to justify, this belongs in the transit fantasy thread.

Not certain it is that hard to justify. That would be the ideal location to consolidate Nanaimo and Victoria ferries. That provides a ship that normally carries 370-470 cars departing hourly or every half hour. Each of those can carry 1,500 to 2,100 passengers. It is common for the car deck to be full or nearly full. Probably unusually for the passenger count to max out. Either way that is still a lot of ship capacity that when combined with sky train you find that a good percentage shift from taking the car over to becoming walk on passengers.

VancouverOfTheFuture
Apr 20, 2017, 9:46 AM
they tried fast moving catamaran ferries. they were causing damage to docks and what not, so were forced to go normal speeds, making them a huge waste of money. woo NDP. *cough cough* Fast Ferries *cough cough* you'll never see that happen again in BC. at least not in the near future, the wound is still bleeding.

casper
Apr 20, 2017, 2:43 PM
they tried fast moving catamaran ferries. they were causing damage to docks and what not, so were forced to go normal speeds, making them a huge waste of money. woo NDP. *cough cough* Fast Ferries *cough cough* you'll never see that happen again in BC. at least not in the near future, the wound is still bleeding.

I think you have to differentiate between fast passenger only ferries and roll-on roll-off fast ferries. The NDP Fast Ferries program was a complete failure and that concept is dead.

Passenger only fast ferries have operated between Victoria and Seattle for years. There have been a few attempts at Nanaimo to Downtown Vancouver over the years however they did not reach a critical mass in number of ships to make it viable. If you only have one ship and it goes out for of service for 2 days, you louse customer loyalty quickly. The operator of the Victoria to Seattle route is brining in a ship to operate Vancouver to Victoria next year.

Conventional ferries between Tawassin and Duke Point would be a shorter distance form the airport. The ferry to Victoria would be a similar distance. The Horseshoe Bay terminal is undersized and shifting the Nanaimo run to the airport would address some of the congestion at that terminal.

CareerShow
Apr 20, 2017, 9:38 PM
What routes may come to fruition now that Westjet has a new low cost carrier on route, and what current routes may be transferred?

SpongeG
Apr 20, 2017, 9:54 PM
speaking of the ferries

Island Ferry singled out for possible Nanaimo-Vancouver service - See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/business/island-ferry-singled-out-for-possible-nanaimo-vancouver-service-1.6550060#sthash.yi2PIXsn.dpuf

---

how much more no frills can westjet go? no magazine?

nname
Apr 20, 2017, 10:57 PM

no tv, no wifi, check-in counter fee, carry-on luggage fee, no free drink, boarding pass printing fee, surcharge for additional baggage at airport, 29' or 28' pitch, etc...

they could also invent some new fees (washroom usage fee!?), or adventure into sub-28in seat pitch....

MalcolmTucker
Apr 20, 2017, 11:32 PM
speaking of the ferries

Island Ferry singled out for possible Nanaimo-Vancouver service - See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/business/island-ferry-singled-out-for-possible-nanaimo-vancouver-service-1.6550060#sthash.yi2PIXsn.dpuf

---

no recline, no tray table, smaller pitch, seats without conforming headrest, ads on seat backs, no in flight entertainment (except maybe usb charging ports?), charge for carry-on in the overhead, rush seating

LeftCoaster
Apr 20, 2017, 11:43 PM
Are they going to start charging passengers for the shitty jokes their flight attendants tell?

I think in all honesty I'd pay them to stop.

casper
Apr 21, 2017, 1:42 AM
Are they going to start charging passengers for the shitty jokes their flight attendants tell?

I think in all honesty I'd pay them to stop.

They could create a dedicated YukYuk comedy cabin. Special cabin with access to poor jokes every 10 minutes during the flight. The only question is that will be a premium cabin or a deeply discounted cabin.

jlousa
Apr 21, 2017, 3:18 AM
Love to see someone attempt an autonomous flight with no pilot and flight attendants. Heck no checked luggage either. Walk on Walk off only. Doubt the authorities would allow it but the tech already exists and as a bonus no need to shuffle airliner employees around. :cheers:

mezzanine
Apr 21, 2017, 5:05 AM
Although flying on a no-frills WJ flight seems like eating a shit sandwich, i can see this making sense in a strategic way - when facing the big choice for growing the company, instead of taking a major risk and going full-service alliance flying internationally and going head-to-head with AC, they are aiming for growth against shaky competitors and gives them leverage with their labour negotiations. and i suspect there is a large untapped market for ULCCs within canada.

Would they automatically base it out of YYC? to me it would seem that it would cannibalise WJ mainline ops... :shrug:

POCO
Apr 21, 2017, 6:41 AM
Although flying on a no-frills WJ flight seems like eating a shit sandwich, i can see this making sense in a strategic way - when facing the big choice for growing the company, instead of taking a major risk and going full-service alliance flying internationally and going head-to-head with AC, they are aiming for growth against shaky competitors and gives them leverage with their labour negotiations. and i suspect there is a large untapped market for ULCCs within canada.

Would they automatically base it out of YYC? to me it would seem that it would cannibalise WJ mainline ops... :shrug:

I can see them using their Calgary headquarters but being based at and flying primarily to smaller secondary airports where these upstarts ULCCs are likely to try to get a foot hold. A Hamilton hub with a focus city out West.

I would personally like an airline to use YOW as a hub as it's a lovely airport but Hamilton sits closer to Toronto and the States.

What does everyone think on potential names? Does it make sense to go with something totally different so as not to sully the WestJet brand? or will it just be "WestJet X" or something of the like?

SpongeG
Apr 21, 2017, 7:18 AM
how about "we're the cheap version of westjet so we won't tell you jokes air" or the "no jokes air" for short

MalcolmTucker
Apr 21, 2017, 12:00 PM
With the launch of Encore, there was an open process where they took bids for crew bases.

SFUVancouver
Apr 21, 2017, 5:44 PM
no recline, no tray table, smaller pitch, seats without conforming headrest, ads on seat backs, no in flight entertainment (except maybe usb charging ports?), charge for carry-on in the overhead, rush seating

I would expect that they will have a purely WiFi-based bring-your-own-device in-flight entertainment system that is fee-based. I took a flight last summer to Frankfurt with Condor ($200 w/ tax one-way fare for the August long weekend booked one week before!!) and one had the choice of pre-purchasing access to the in-flight entertainment system (seatback) for something like $10 and onboard it was something like $25. Same thing for meals, pre-purchase for a discount and guarantee of the meal of your choice or on-board at a premium for whatever's left. Granted, it was a transatlantic flight, but I could see Westjet-ULCC going this path, especially if they one day offer transatlantic (U)LCC service a la Norwegian with some of Westjet's ordered 737-Max8 aircraft.

Longer-term, if this is a successful venture, I could see Westjet-ULCC leasing/buying some 788/9 or A358/9 to launch ULCC-long haul service to Europe and Asia, tying into Westjet/Encore and Westjet-ULCC domestic feeder network(s). I'm not sure if Westjet would want to cannibalize their transatlantic 767-based service, but perhaps they would chose their destinations accordingly, with premium destinations being served by mainline Westjet (LHR and others, in time) while lower-cost destinations being served by Westjet-ULCC (LGW, MAN, etc.)

Interesting times!

cornholio
Apr 21, 2017, 5:56 PM
Love to see someone attempt an autonomous flight with no pilot and flight attendants. Heck no checked luggage either. Walk on Walk off only. Doubt the authorities would allow it but the tech already exists and as a bonus no need to shuffle airliner employees around. :cheers:

A autonomous flight would probably be safer. I have seen those May Day episodes. Most of them are pilot error and if only the pilot buggered off the plane would correct the issue and everyone would be alive instead.

cornholio
Apr 21, 2017, 5:58 PM
no tv, no wifi, check-in counter fee, carry-on luggage fee, no free drink, boarding pass printing fee, surcharge for additional baggage at airport, 29' or 28' pitch, etc...

they could also invent some new fees (washroom usage fee!?), or adventure into sub-28in seat pitch....

You forgot this one...

The Ryanair CEO last year said he wants standing room only flights (this proposal was shot down years earlier by regulators)...

This has a concept image.:runaway:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/New-call-for-standing-seats-on-planes/

YVR Bruce
Apr 22, 2017, 5:07 AM
It will be interesting to see whether the 10 x 738s are new to the combined fleet or to be drawn from the "mainline". With the latter, some leakage from YVR to XX to be expected, as happened at SFO during the early days of WN

casper
Apr 23, 2017, 5:44 AM
It will be interesting to see whether the 10 x 738s are new to the combined fleet or to be drawn from the "mainline". With the latter, some leakage from YVR to XX to be expected, as happened at SFO during the early days of WN

Some of the rumors are the new generation of 737 will have proper business class seats to better compete against Air Canada in the premium market. If this happens (and that is a big if) more likely to be the older aircrafts.

nname
Apr 26, 2017, 7:00 PM
Hmm... no service update in this thread anymore..? :uhh:

Seems like Xiaman Air is thinking of what to do with the 3x weekly YVR-XMN... At one point, service was reduced to 2x weekly after Oct 24, but the 3rd weekly was added back later, starting Dec 12, but available for full fare only.

I'm wondering if they would re-allocate that weekly to somewhere (similar to moving 1 weekly from XMN-SZX-SEA to XMN-TAO-LAX to supplement their 4x weekly XMN-LAX service). Adding new 1x weekly route to claim the authority of a route seems to be a new trend there, as the available frequency from bilateral is being depleted...

Gordon
Apr 28, 2017, 2:49 PM
YvR seems to have added a new Trans border gate E88 . There does not seem to be any room after E87

LeftCoaster
Apr 28, 2017, 7:09 PM
Hmm... no service update in this thread anymore..? :uhh:

It's been awfully quiet on that front. My guess is a mix of summer schedules being more or less set and the effects of the end of expansion capacity to China.

Only news on airlineroute of late was a reduction to Brisbane, 787-9 down to an 787-8 for the peak winter season. Not a great sign for the route.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/272566/air-canada-w17-long-haul-changes-as-of-26apr17/

I have noticed KLM has been subbing in their 777-300 a lot over the last few weeks. It's most likely just an equipment utilization thing, but they sure do look great!

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s750x750/sh0.08/e35/18011984_1913996602215939_5137417799601225728_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTUwMjUyMjYzODE3NzAzMjk4MA%3D%3D.2

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s750x750/sh0.08/e35/18161795_1386393084761046_6357365760670564352_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTUwMjQ0NzQ2MzU0ODg1NzQ2Nw%3D%3D.2
https://www.instagram.com/planelovers15/?hl=en

nname
Apr 28, 2017, 7:45 PM
It's been awfully quiet on that front. My guess is a mix of summer schedules being more or less set and the effects of the end of expansion capacity to China.

Only news on airlineroute of late was a reduction to Brisbane, 787-9 down to an 787-8 for the peak winter season. Not a great sign for the route.

Or Johnny is becoming inactive in the forum :(

Also there is the Air China change - YVR-PEK is now 1x daily 77WHD and 1x daily 333

wrt BNE - at least they it still maintains a daily service instead of dropping down to 3-4x weekly... or it could be a reduction to coincide with a MEL launch :P (I wonder if there will be any new route for W17.. if there are, announcement should be coming soon)

LeftCoaster
Apr 28, 2017, 8:50 PM
Or Johnny is becoming inactive in the forum :(

That would be sad

Also there is the Air China change - YVR-PEK is now 1x daily 77WHD and 1x daily 333

Was this announced/confirmed? I didn't see it anywhere.

wrt BNE - at least they it still maintains a daily service instead of dropping down to 3-4x weekly... or it could be a reduction to coincide with a MEL launch :P (I wonder if there will be any new route for W17.. if there are, announcement should be coming soon)

I was hoping for an increase to YVR-DEL next winter, but as far as I can tell from the bilateral we are maxed out on service to DEL between the daily Toronto and 3xPW of YVR. There's still room into Mumbai though so if DEL was successful maybe they can replicate the frequencies into Mumbai (7xPW from YYZ 3xPW from YVR).

At the very least all this speculation should be enough to bring Johnny out of his slumber to tell us why we're all wrong :D

SFUVancouver
Apr 28, 2017, 9:49 PM
I flew back to YVR on Wednesday and got to go through the revised customs hall. Everyone now is grouped together to use the new kiosks. It was pretty slow going as a lot of people needed hand-holding from staff and the layout of the screens was a bit counter intuitive (the "continue" button is on the bottom right corner of these giant screens and it wasn't necessarily clear once you chose your answer that you then needed to press continue. At a couple of points I thought that the system was thinking when in fact I just needed to press continue.

It will get worked out, but for Canadians it will be slower than the older system.

TransitJack
Apr 29, 2017, 7:02 PM
I flew back to YVR on Wednesday and got to go through the revised customs hall. Everyone now is grouped together to use the new kiosks. It was pretty slow going as a lot of people needed hand-holding from staff and the layout of the screens was a bit counter intuitive (the "continue" button is on the bottom right corner of these giant screens and it wasn't necessarily clear once you chose your answer that you then needed to press continue. At a couple of points I thought that the system was thinking when in fact I just needed to press continue.

It will get worked out, but for Canadians it will be slower than the older system.

How about it you DL the App have have it all ready to go, do you get to go to another queue?

I assume that the system isn't integrated into existing Nexus lines, so you need to line up 2x?

mezzanine
May 1, 2017, 4:22 AM
Old hat now? BA's A380 returns for seasonal service today:

YVR twitter
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-thY9RUAAA0gSl.jpg (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-thY9RUAAA0gSl.jpg:large)

Also from twitter, also seasonal starting today-ish, Icelandair to KEF
IIRC, it will also be the last year of the 747s from EVA and China Airlines in the background (to be replaced by newer planes). :(
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-tYRLVUwAEI_0f.jpg

excel
May 1, 2017, 5:03 AM
Great pictures.

connect2source
May 1, 2017, 12:49 PM
I wonder if BA will be the last carrier using 747-400's to YVR once EVA and China Airlines stop sending theirs.

trofirhen
May 1, 2017, 3:07 PM
wrt BNE - at least they it still maintains a daily service instead of dropping down to 3-4x weekly... or it could be a reduction to coincide with a MEL launch

Brisbane is a city with a tight similarity in metro population to Vancouver. It's the closest city to the Gold Coast, from Canada, and to Canada itself.
However ..... my understanding was, especially that the AUS - Canada bilaterals have been so largely expanded, that once 789s were freed up, a YVR-MEL route was sure to follow.
Yet despite whispers, I hear little of this, despite Melbourne, a booming city pushing 5million, and expected to outgrow Sydney withing 20 years.
Does anyone have any information about the possibility of an upcoming YVR - MEL run? The hour would seem to be approaching. Thank you.

Canadian74
May 1, 2017, 3:29 PM
Canadian airlines are limited to 2 points in Australia I believe, Sydney and 1 other city??

MalcolmTucker
May 1, 2017, 3:39 PM
Canadian airlines are limited to 2 points in Australia I believe, Sydney and 1 other city??

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1025239

The Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, today announced an expanded Canada-Australia Air Transport Agreement, effective immediately, which allows airlines to serve any number of cities in Canada and Australia.

Under this expanded agreement, capacity available to Canadian and Australian airlines for services to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth will increase from 3,000 to 6,000 seats per week for each country effective immediately, and then increase to 9,000 seats starting in December 2016.

Gordon
May 1, 2017, 4:43 PM
Is it possible to fly non-stop any from other Canadian city to Australia?

MalcolmTucker
May 1, 2017, 5:01 PM
Is it possible to fly non-stop any from other Canadian city to Australia?

With the 777-200LR yeah. But you run into issues for sure.

You don't save a major amount of distance over stopping in YVR:
http://i.imgur.com/J1cRNjB.png

I imagine you run into issues with your crew as well, and may have to fly with the equivalent of two full crews, maybe even 2.5 as you're probably at 19 hours of door closed time.

So would people pay a premium to save an hour and a half?

nname
May 1, 2017, 6:21 PM
Was this announced/confirmed? I didn't see it anywhere.

It was on airlineroute twitter a while ago... Just check google flights between July 22 and Aug 31, and you'll see 2 CA flights everyday.

And just as we are talking about Australia...

Virgin Australia applied for codeshare for AC's flights between Australia and Canada, between points in Canada, and between Canada and US.

Air Canada applied for codeshare for VA's flights between points in Australia and between Australia and New Zealand.

Source (https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2017-39)

nname
May 2, 2017, 7:32 AM
China Eastern upgauge PVG-YVR from A330-200 (33H) C30Y202 to A330-300 (33L) C31Y261 starting July.

Source (http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/272636/china-eastern-plans-a330-300-vancouver-service-from-july-2017/)

connect2source
May 2, 2017, 1:06 PM
Westjet orders 10 787-10's with options of 10 more.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/westjet-boosts-global-profile-competitive-position-with-boeing-deal/article34871959/

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1232

SFUVancouver
May 2, 2017, 4:47 PM
Westjet orders 10 787-10's with options of 10 more.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/westjet-boosts-global-profile-competitive-position-with-boeing-deal/article34871959/

Wow! Didn't expect Westjet to jump straight into a 78J right off the bat. This is a fascinating development.

Edit: It looks like they ordered 10 789s with options for 10 more 787s, model TBD.

WestJet announced today a definitive purchase agreement with The Boeing Company for up to 20 Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. This agreement includes commitments for 10 Boeing 787-9 aircraft to be delivered between the first quarter of 2019 and December 2021, with options for an additional 10 aircraft to be delivered between 2020 and 2024. The airline also announced it has selected General Electric's GEnx-1B engine for the 787.

connect2source
May 2, 2017, 5:25 PM
Wow! Didn't expect Westjet to jump straight into a 78J right off the bat. This is a fascinating development.

Edit: It looks like they ordered 10 789s with options for 10 more 787s, model TBD.

Westjet edited it, earlier this morning it said the reverse, I wish I had screen-capped it, must have been in-error.

trofirhen
May 2, 2017, 6:25 PM

... getting big ...

Westjet edited it, earlier this morning it said the reverse, I wish I had screen-capped it, must have been in error.

even so ...
_____________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Given a purchase like this, give that already WJ bites 34.6% out of domestic revenue, is already obliging AC to seek further overseas destinations; and extrapolating five+ years, it seems that WJ is going to give AC a real hotfoot. A Canadian version of 'Norwegian' springs to mind. Norway's a wealthy, and expensive country. If with such high overheads, they can make it pay at discount rates... Why not WJ? Or does Norwegian get petrodollar subsidies? If the playing field is uneven, forget it, but if even, a toe-to-toe with AC might be prime-time viewing.

sacrifice333
May 2, 2017, 8:38 PM
even so ...

Given a purchase like this, give that already WJ bites 34.6% out of domestic revenue, is already obliging AC to seek further overseas destinations; and extrapolating five+ years, it seems that WJ is going to give AC a real hotfoot. A Canadian version of 'Norwegian' springs to mind. Norway's a wealthy, and expensive country. If with such high overheads, they can make it pay at discount rates... Why not WJ? Or does Norwegian get petrodollar subsidies? If the playing field is uneven, forget it, but if even, a toe-to-toe with AC might be prime-time viewing.

Hopefully this means they ditch the 767s that have plagued their European routes.

connect2source
May 2, 2017, 8:53 PM
even so ...

Agreed, although I think Westjet is looking far more like Canadi>n at this point, gradually evolving into another legacy carrier. Norwegian short-haul is more of an ULCC model, Westjet is pretty much a legacy model domestically at this point. Their long-haul is in it's infancy still but more resembles a Zoom or Fly Globespan with their ancient 767's and lack of any onboard amenities. Norwegian long-haul is flying brand-new 787's.

trofirhen
May 3, 2017, 12:47 AM
Agreed, although I think Westjet is looking far more like Canadi>n at this point, gradually evolving into another legacy carrier. Norwegian short-haul is more of an ULCC model, Westjet is pretty much a legacy model domestically at this point. Their long-haul is in it's infancy still but more resembles a Zoom or Fly Globespan with their ancient 767's and lack of any onboard amenities. Norwegian long-haul is flying brand-new 787's.

True, but won't the announcement of Westjet's purchase of 20 787s over the next five years make long haul (presumably at a lower cost in keeping with company policy), feasible?

Johnny Aussie
May 3, 2017, 10:02 AM
Big announcement on the way...

4 times weekly 789

AC37 YVR 2345 - 0945+2 MEL 1356
AC38 MEL 1140 - 0730 YVR 1357

Right now looks seasonal 1 Dec - 2 Feb

tayser
May 3, 2017, 10:51 AM
Ooooooooo, Caaaaaa-nah-duh.

'scuse French, but: fkn finally! (even if it is only seasonal).

trofirhen
May 3, 2017, 11:43 AM

4 times weekly 789

YIPPEE !!!! But only two (2) months a year??? Oh well, it's a start .....

YVR Bruce
May 3, 2017, 2:32 PM
The news releases has been posted on AC's site.

It also announces 2/ wk Rouge 763 to Orlando over Dec 20- Apr 8th. An interesting part of the release: Rouge 2/wk YUL-Lima - which places crews in hotels there able to support 1-2 cycles from YVR perhaps, someday.

thenoflyzone
May 3, 2017, 2:43 PM
Great adds for YVR.

However, only 34 or so flights to MEL for the season. Seems this route could support more flights, no? Could be the combination of SYD, BNE and MEL is too much for daily service to all three.

It also announces 2/ wk Rouge 763 to Orlando over Dec 20- Apr 8th. An interesting part of the release: Rouge 2/wk YUL-Lima - which places crews in hotels there able to support 1-2 cycles from YVR perhaps, someday.

TS's Cartagena flights aside, this is YUL's first flight to (deep) South America ! Now firmly established as a "5 continent club" airport.

YUL-PHX is also a nice add. I know a few people who vacation in Arizona every year. They will be particularly happy with YUL-PHX as well.

Cage
May 3, 2017, 3:28 PM

I read the AC announcement before coffee this morning. When I read
Vancouver to Melbourne and Orlando
I honestly questioned aloud why two Florida destinations were added simultaneously. I figured that AC was responding to the ULCC talk.

Then I had a cup of coffee and the brain kicked in. Congrats YVR on the new routes!

Canadian74
May 3, 2017, 3:36 PM
YVR-MEL will be the longest AC flight, correct? It seems longer than YYZ-HKG or YYZ-BOM

Hope it becomes year round

Gordon
May 3, 2017, 5:32 PM
Nice to get these new routes Let's hope they both go year around.

Has any new info come out about the new pier F @ YVR?

LeftCoaster
May 3, 2017, 6:12 PM

4 times weekly 789

I knew this would bring you out of retirement!

AC playing this one cautiously it seems, dipping their toes in. I think it will be a success though and see expansion quickly, so long as the NDP don't get in and send the economy into a nosedive.

LeftCoaster
May 3, 2017, 6:13 PM
Rouge 2/wk YUL-Lima - which places crews in hotels there able to support 1-2 cycles from YVR perhaps, someday.

ya this one was totally strange to me. What ties does YUL have with LIM? Not surprised AC gave YUL another route as they are doing quite well right now but Lima seems like such an out of left field choice. I would have figured if they went S. America it would be up against TS in Cartegena.

excel
May 3, 2017, 7:19 PM
Great news.

Cage
May 3, 2017, 8:09 PM
YVR-MEL will be the longest AC flight, correct? It seems longer than YYZ-HKG or YYZ-BOM

Hope it becomes year round

Strip down the 789 and turn it into a flying gas can and MEL becomes a good destination.

Doubtful that MEL becomes year round. This route announcement is aimed at QF and will offer up to 3 flights per day on Canada-Australia.

Finally, the route is meant to soak up spare capacity during the slower winter season.

Nice to get these new routes Let's hope they both go year around.

Has any new info come out about the new pier F @ YVR?

Doubtful that either route would go year round. YVR-MCO is highly seasonal and YVR-Australia is moderately seasonal. Upgrades to the premium cabins just became available. Additonally, as mentioned above, there are better places to put the 789 and rouge 763 in the summer schedule.

YVR doesn't need pier F as much as the Pier D extension. I would do the pier D extension all at once, based on the recent route announcements.

LeftCoaster
May 3, 2017, 8:37 PM
Doubtful that MEL becomes year round. This route announcement is aimed at QF and will offer up to 3 flights per day on Canada-Australia.

I might not be following you here but why would QF be interested in MEL-YVR. Wouldn't their first order of business be making SYD-YVR daily and year round as that's their preferred hub?

YVR doesn't need pier F as much as the Pier D extension. I would do the pier D extension all at once, based on the recent route announcements.

That's what I said a couple months ago when this was all announced. Given Pier D's ability to swing to transborder it really solves both if international for some strange reason contracts and transborder grows.

SFUVancouver
May 3, 2017, 9:38 PM
Great news on Melbourne and Orlando. Gratifying to see AC continue to develop routes from YVR and put their new metal to use. Still excitedly waiting to see how the C-Series affects route development.

Cage
May 3, 2017, 10:10 PM
I might not be following you here but why would QF be interested in MEL-YVR. Wouldn't their first order of business be making SYD-YVR daily and year round as that's their preferred hub?

For QF to make SYD-YVR work, they have to be able to flow traffic from BNE, PER, MEL, ADL, etc. through SYD and to YVR. However the Domestic to International connection in SYD is the most time consuming and hub busting process ever created, its truly gawd awful experience for everyone. In a nut shell. the runway between the QF Domestic and International terminals is the issue.

Of AC runs larger aircraft or more frequent service to SYD, then both QF and AC are on the same footing. However, if AC runs smaller Dreamliner aircraft to each of SYD, BNE, & MEL; then QF cannot access the secondary markets for their services, especially for premium cabin services.

LeftCoaster
May 3, 2017, 10:34 PM
Gotcha, thanks!

tayser
May 3, 2017, 11:09 PM
Just looked at the fares, Economy MEL-YVR-MEL return in Jan is ~$2500-$3000 (AUD) :eek:

Suppose you'd expect that for peak (at both ends: height of summer / Australian Open and Skiing in BC/AB) travel period however.

LeftCoaster
May 3, 2017, 11:49 PM
Looks to be about a $1,000 premium to the cheapest fares but a 15-20 hour time savings, so if you value your time at around $50 to $75 an hour, which is not that outrageous, the fare makes sense.

vanlaw
May 4, 2017, 12:06 AM
Re: MEL - There's some first half December fares for under $1400 CAD. Not bad.

Re: MCO - the AC flights are daytime flights, leave YVR in the morning. This is far more attractive (depending on perspective and preference I guess) than the WJ red-eye to MCO.

zahav
May 5, 2017, 7:47 AM
March stats posted. Growth picked up pretty significantly from February's breather figures... Domestic up 3.5%, Transborder up 8.7%, Asia Pac up 16.3%, Misc up 25.9%. Europe down again, but by far less than previous months, down 2.5%

These high growth figures are amazing, for years YVR wasn't posting anywhere close to these numbers (Misc and Asia Pacific especially, but even transborder with 8.7% is really high actually, for years the Bellingham factor and other things made transborder the weakest part of the airport). But not anymore. And this growth was without any real new routes starting that month. Once all the new summer routes come online grwoth should continue well